Men Must Work

The Groves/Gillette Series, Chapt. 5

Of Rough Seas and Solid Earth

by

Gryphons Lair

Pairing: Gillette/Groves
Rating: G
Disclaimer: The characters of POTC are under indenture to the Mouse. I just borrow them from time to time to amuse my friends.
Originally Posted: 4/20/04
Note: Set in the Sparrington universe I share with commodorified. A not-quite-drabble for Linaelyn's H/C Challenge.
Summary: Gillette blames himself for the loss of the Interceptor. Groves puts it in perspective. A scene from the cutting room floor.

 

"It wasn't your fault." Groves tried to lay a hand on his shoulder.

Gillette twisted away from the touch. "It is my fault." He turned, staring out over the shore battery, towards the point where the Interceptor had vanished a few hours ago. "If I'd not—" he flattened both hands against the parapet, "—let that damned pirate—'" leaned on them until the rough stone bit into his palms, "—and a—a bloody blacksmith bluff us off the Dauntless—" flexed his right hand, dragging his fingertips along the unforgiving stone, "—my God, we were six against two!—" clenched it tight, capturing the pain, "—they'd never have taken your ship." He glared at the empty horizon a moment more, then dropped his eyes to the parapet. "Your first command, Theo," he half-whispered, slowly flattening his clenched fist again, "and I lost her for you. You've every right to hate me for it."

"Hate you? Never." Groves leaned on the parapet next to him, so close their sleeves brushed.

"How can you not?" He didn't look up, didn't want to see.

"There will be other ships. The Navy is full of ships. But there's only one Andrew Gillette in the world." Groves brushed his smallest finger over the back of Gillette's hand. The touch seemed to trail fire in its wake. "So long as I've you at my side, the rest... can be faced."

Andrew looked into Theo's eyes, and what he saw there took his breath away. "Then you shall find me there."

 


The Groves/Gillette Series
Chapter 4 :: Chapter 6

 

Leave a Comment
(If you're commenting about a specific chapter, please mention that.)

 

Disclaimer: All characters from the Pirates of the Caribbean universe are the property of Disney et al, and the actors who portrayed
them. Neither the authors and artists hosted on this website nor the maintainers profit from the content of this site.
All content is copyrighted by its creator.