Go to notes and disclaimers

Salve
by Your Cruise Director and Ashinae


"...so Faramir and I snuck away from the festivities. We were really quite drunk. We got some horses...I don't know how long we were riding, but the next thing I remember, we were on a farm. And there were cows lying on the ground, and Faramir was laughing like a madman."

"The cows were lying on the ground?" Aragorn has both eyebrows stretched high into his forehead—to keep himself from smiling, Boromir suspects.

"Faramir claims that we tipped them over."

Crossing his arms, Aragorn regards Boromir skeptically. "And you claim not to remember a thing about it."

"I said I was drunk. Very drunk."

"Yet not so drunk that you could not ride." Finally Boromir cannot maintain the pretense of innocence, and he laughs, joined by Aragorn. Yet after a moment, the Ranger sobers. "You miss him, don't you."

"There is very little in this world that is more important to me than my brother," Boromir nods, glancing away from Aragorn's eyes. He is not ready to share all of his feelings about Faramir with Aragorn, just as Aragorn has shown little inclination to tell Boromir of his past with Arwen or any of the Elves or Men he has known in his long life.

Aragorn leans forward, resting his crossed arms on his knees with a thoughtful expression. His chin rests on one of his hands. "You said that your brother first had the dream that sent you to Rivendell. Why did he not accompany you on the journey?"

"Someone had to stay behind to defend Gondor," Boromir says evasively. He does not wish to explain that he persuaded his father and Faramir both that as Captain of the White Tower, he should be the one to go. His father had suspected that Boromir craved glory, and in truth has been prouder of that ambition than of Faramir's desire to seek out the meaning of the riddle for its own sake.

Boromir had allowed his father to believe that he cared only for the strength of Gondor, and had told his brother that he wanted only to explore, to learn of the past, though he wondered now if either fully believed him or if they both had understood that his motives were puzzling, even to himself. He knows only that he was driven to take on the journey, not least because he longed to leave Minas Tirith, where he could see his father's rule faltering yet could not defend him.

When first he had first seen the Ring, he had thought he understood his purpose in coming. Then he had discovered the identity of this Ranger, and committed to this quest...and now he is not certain that he understands at all.

"You have said that your father is not kind to your brother," begins Aragorn. As Boromir lifts his head, condemning himself for having said such a thing, Aragorn seems to notice his displeasure, for he quickly amends, "I'm sorry. That is not for me to question."

"No, it is not." Glancing away, Boromir finds himself grateful for the sympathy. "But he does not treat Faramir well. I would not be surprised to learn that Faramir returns to Minas Tirith only long enough to make any reports that he feels are necessary to present in person, and then leaves again shortly thereafter."

"I am surprised your father was willing to spare you for so long."

Boromir speaks softly. "I think he wanted to be certain that the situation was...handled properly. I believe that he hoped I would find in Imladris a means to defend Gondor."

"Will he be very disappointed in you when you tell him that you have sent the Ring into Mordor to be destroyed?" Boromir does not reply; he does not think he needs to. After a moment Aragorn asks, "Does it upset you?"

"My father's disappointment, or sending the Ring into Mordor?"

"I thought we were agreed." In an instant Aragorn's tone and bearing have both changed: he sits straight, with the bearing of a King, and he speaks to Boromir like a ruler facing a shifty ally. Boromir meets his glare, as if daring Aragorn to question his loyalty to their quest, until Aragorn finally turns his head away and nods, almost apologetic. "You have not often disappointed him, I imagine." Then he smiles suddenly. "What did he say when you and Faramir returned from this...expedition among the cows?"

"We never told him what we had done, though he was angry with us for 'running away' as we did." Boromir pauses for a moment, plucking at a blade of grass. "He was angry with Faramir for convincing me to go. He did not believe me when I said it was my idea that we should leave. I was bored."

"Curious that he blamed your younger brother. I would think that as the older sibling he would expect you to set the example. Would he have given you leave, had you asked?"

"No. Which is why we had to skulk away. He thinks that Faramir...influences me." Boromir waits for Aragorn to ask the obvious question, and, when Aragorn remains silent, answers it anyway. "I have nearly always done whatever Faramir has asked of me."

The Ranger nods without judgment in his expression. "I have never had a younger sibling. I envy you. My life might have been very different had my mother had another child."

Boromir is not certain of Aragorn's age at the time of Arathorn's death; he knows, however, that Aragorn's mother lived to see him as a man, and envies him in turn. "I wish my mother had not died so young. I still miss her," he admits softly. "I think both our lives would have been very different, had she lived. At least Faramir would have had someone when I could not be there for him."

"Perhaps he is too like your mother for your father to look upon him without feeling the loss. I think I must resemble my father, for my mother rarely looked on me without pain in her eyes." Aragorn raises himself up a bit to find his pipe in a pocket in his vest, sitting closer to Boromir when he comes to rest again. "We have that in common, having been raised without a parent. Do you suppose that is why..." Shaking the pipe, the Ranger finds the weed nearly gone. He toys with it, distracted.

"...why...?"

Aragorn glances sharply at Boromir, then busies himself with cleaning the pipe, which he has not lit since they left their camp. "Why we are close to one another," he concludes after a time. "Why we seek out the company of men."

Boromir feels himself tense. For a moment he thinks to feign confusion, reminding Aragorn that he spends more time among Elves than Men, and then he thinks to deny the man's words, to dismiss what is between them as a soldier's relief on a long march without women. Yet Aragorn is being unusually frank with him, and he does not wish to end the moment. "That could indeed be the reason," he begrudges.

Aragorn sighs quietly, laying his pipe in the grass. "I thought that you were about to disagree. Or to deny that you seek companionship with other men. I am surprised that your father has not tried to persuade you to marry."

"Oh, he has," Boromir snorts. This year it has been his cousin Lothíriel whom his father has attempted to convince him would make a perfect bride. Last summer it had been Éowyn of Rohan, whom Boromir has never met. If he were to marry, he thinks savagely, it would not be with Éowyn or some other noblewoman homesick for her childhood home, as his mother had been. He would prefer a wife of peasant stock tied to Gondor and Minas Tirith, an earthy woman who would not miss him overmuch when he was on patrol with his men.

"Will your brother marry, do you think?"

"Either he or I will have to, at some point. Though I fear that my father intends to send him off to wed the daughter of some ally far from my city." Another sigh escapes Boromir's lips. "At least, perhaps, he will be happier."

"Boromir...was your father violent with him? Or with you?" The question goes too far, and Boromir pulls away suddenly, angry and humiliated that Aragorn would think to ask such a thing. "I'm sorry," the Ranger says quickly. "It only seems...you carry scars that you do not show. Perhaps your brother, as well." In a flash of movement Aragorn's hand rests on Boromir's forearm, warm and reassuring. "Do not be ashamed! It is no fault of your own."

"It is one thing for him to have taken his anger out on me. But I should have done more to protect Faramir."

"You cannot blame yourself for Denethor's temper. Did no one know? Did Gandalf not realize?"

"I think Gandalf might have known, but did not want to antagonize my father. There is some quarrel between them, I have never learned what it might be." Boromir lies back in the grass and stares up at the stars through the trees. He does not want to weigh his father's judgment against the wizard's, and wishes not to be angry anymore.

Nodding, Aragorn stretches out in the grass with his head propped up on one arm. But he is looking at Boromir, not at the sky. "What do you think will happen, when you go back?" he asks.

Boromir glances at Aragorn. "I imagine I will take my place with my men."

"Your father is not a young man. He must be grooming you to take his place." Aragorn sounds apologetic to have made Boromir defensive. "I think you have spent much of your life pleasing others, but I cannot tell if you have been happy."

"There are times when I have been very happy."

"Tipping cows with your brother?" he smiles.

Boromir smiles in return. "Yes, tipping cows with my brother. Most of my happiest moments include Faramir." He hesitates. "And talking with you."

The words make Aragorn flush, as Boromir had hoped they might. "You are happy now, then?"

"Very," Boromir says, his smile broadening. It is impossible not to touch Aragorn then. His fingers encircle the other's shoulder, squeezing, his thumb barely brushing Aragorn's chin.

"Then I am glad." Aragorn's hand comes up, covering Boromir's and lifting it in his own. He lowers his head to kiss Boromir's knuckles.

Boromir's other hand comes up and rests on Aragorn's side as he turns his head, brushing his lips over Aragorn's ear. "And I am happy when we are...together."

"So am I," murmurs Aragorn fervently, turning to find Boromir's lips with his own, flattening himself against the grass.

Boromir pulls Aragorn against him, sighing against the other man's lips. "Why does everything feel so different in Imladris and here in the wild than in Gondor? Time seems to stand still. I feel as though we have eternity before us." Boromir pauses a moment, and runs his fingers through Aragorn's hair. "Though I am always happiest when we are able to bathe."

For a moment Aragorn seems to believe the comment to be earnest; then he realizes that he is being teased, leans in and laughs against Boromir's skin, sliding a hand beneath his collar. "Was it so terrible, before?"

"Well, perhaps the way you smelled..."

"You hardly smelled like a spring garden, yet did I complain?"

"Of course not. And neither did I. Though I was afraid that if I touched your hair, I would not be able to retrieve my hand."

"So your long reticence was from fear of my hair?" Aragorn is tasting skin, sinking his fingers into Boromir's hair. "It is not so fair as Legolas', but it is Gimli's beard that should make you cower."

Boromir moans softly. His fingers tug at Aragorn's tunic, pulling it from the waist of his breeches. Then his fingertips slide along Aragorn's back. "Gimli takes surprisingly good care of his beard."

"As do you," whispers Aragorn, licking Boromir's jawline beneath the scratchy hair, his hands pushing Boromir's vest and tunic up and out of the way. There is a small scar just beneath his chin that few have ever discovered; Aragorn presses his tongue against it, rocking his lower body against the swelling in his breeches.

"I do what—I can," Boromir replies with a gasp, pressing against Aragorn. He jerks hard on Aragorn's tunic, and when Aragorn pulls away briefly to remove it, Boromir reaches up and smoothes his hands down Aragorn's chest. The Ranger shivers, though the night air is warm. Twisting, he tries to get Boromir to touch his nipples, all the while wrestling with his clothes—it would not do to tear them in haste.

Boromir rubs his thumbs over Aragorn's nipples, looking up intently to watch his reaction. The way his eyes close briefly, the way his lips part, make Boromir's heart beat faster. "You are..." he whispers, hesitating as he seeks the right phrase. Not beautiful, not magnificent; he cannot say such things to this man. He sighs again, wishing he had a better way with words. Certainly Faramir could describe Aragorn perfectly, but Faramir is not here. If he were, in his stead...Boromir shivers.

Aragorn leans close and tightens his arms. "Are you cold?" he asks.

"No, not cold." Boromir focuses his attention on Aragorn again. "And even if I were, I would not be for long."

The vests and tunics of Minas Tirith have more fastenings than should ever be necessary, but Aragorn fumbles with all of them, careful not to rip the fabric around them. He kisses Boromir whenever their hands and clothes are not in the way, wet hungry kisses that leave Boromir achingly hard and breathless. "Tell me what you want," Aragorn whispers.

"You," Boromir replies, smiling against Aragorn's neck. He licks the flesh under his mouth, feeling the surge of Aragorn's heartbeat. It has taken a long time for him to feel that he can make this request, to be certain that he wanted it, that the other man would not evade him. "I want you...inside me." His hand finds its way into Aragorn's hair again. "Take me, Aragorn."

"Oh, yes," Aragorn groans into Boromir's mouth, stroking his hands over Boromir's scarred body. The warrior remembers the Ranger's comments about the wounds he cannot see. If Aragorn could find them, heal them, then perhaps the cold fire he feels when he looks at the Ring will be gone forever...

Boromir squirms a little beneath Aragorn's kisses, sweet with berries and smoky with pipeweed, spreading his legs wider to let Aragorn fit between them. Each night since the first, they have spent more time talking and less exploring one another. Part of him does not want to waste these sweet minutes, yet he is unwilling to give up the friendship they have finally managed to forge.

"Slow, love," Aragorn whispers. But the words have the opposite effect of their intention. Boromir is startled by how strongly the phrase strikes him, for Aragorn has never called him by a pet name. His arms find their way around Aragorn's shoulders, holding him close, and he hooks his leg over one of Aragorn's, unwilling to let go. Aragorn kisses him with an openness that he has has never before sensed, while he wonders about his own aching passion. Can he have felt so deprived of affection that a simple endearment will undo him?

Though not simple, Boromir must admit to himself; nothing about his feeling for Aragorn is simple. He knows that he must seem desperate, and perhaps he is. One hand slides down, resting on Aragorn's lower back, and he moves against him.

"There is salve in my vest pocket," the Ranger murmurs. "I took it from Rivendell, in case one of us received a scratch..." His laugh is breathless. "Let me give you ease. I will do whatever you want. Just tell me."

Boromir closes his eyes, letting out an embarrassed groan. "Just fuck me," he says, then, hesitantly: "Love me. Please."

Aragorn kisses him once more, stretching out one arm to find what he needs as Boromir holds him close. "I will," he says again when he breaks the kiss to open the small container of balm. Boromir's chest feels tight with emotion that he cannot put into words. It is not altogether uncomfortable, and Aragorn's weight above him is like an anchor. He opens his eyes and looks at him, wondering how he could ever have imagined not wanting this.

"Are you ready?" Aragorn asks, fingers hesitating at the opening to Boromir's body before one pushes inside. The initial penetration often takes a moment to become comfortable, even when there is no pain and there is perfect trust, but Boromir feels no resistance in his body. If anything, he is trying not to push down too eagerly.

"Yes," Boromir says, his voice barely above a whisper. His fingers clutch at the ground beneath him, and he tries not to squirm, nor to move against Aragorn's hand. He does not want to seem too submissive. But he cannot stop himself from saying, "Aragorn. More. Please?"

"So courteous," Aragorn chuckles. He starts to slide his fingers away, then twists them suddenly and pushes in deep, pressing against the sensitive spot inside. Boromir's back arches off the ground, his mouth wide open in a silent cry of pleasure. It seems like an eternity since he has done this, and he can feel himself trembling. He lifts his hand unsteadily and brushes the hair from Aragorn's face.

"Too much?" Aragorn whispers.

"No!" Boromir takes a deep breath, lowers his voice. "No. Please, don't stop." His fingers trail along Aragorn's stubbled jaw. "Please." Aragorn leans forward to kiss Boromir as he sheathes his fingers deep again, more slowly this time, curling and stroking until Boromir shakes against him. He lets his mouth slide over Boromir's chin, in a straight line across his chest and past his navel until his lips brush the head of Boromir's cock.

All coherent thought flees Boromir's mind. "Oh," he says. "Oh." His fingers tangle in Aragorn's hair and he lifts his hips a little to encourage more. Just Aragorn's fingers, stroking, probing, and "Oh!" Aragorn takes him further into his mouth, applying gentle pressure as his fingers plunge once more deep inside.

A deep shudder wracks Boromir's body. He groans, his hips moving restlessly now, rocking his cock into Aragorn's mouth, pushing him back against his fingers. "Aragorn!" Feeling the tongue stroking along the shaft, Boromir spreads his legs wider, in invitation, in eagerness. He does not want this to end, but he's afraid that if Aragorn doesn't stop, it will all be over far too soon. He thrusts between Aragorn's lips with fluid welling again at the tip of his cock. Reluctantly Aragorn draws his mouth away, fingers still curled inside Boromir.

"Want you. Aragorn." Boromir trails a finger across the other man's glistening lips, smiling a smile that he knows is quavering. He thinks that he could not ever have desired anything with this intensity. "Love me," he whispers, grasping Aragorn's upper arms, pulling him up. "And kiss me," he adds, sucking on Aragorn's bottom lip.

These are both demands to which the Ranger surrenders gladly, holding Boromir close, opening his mouth to Boromir's tongue. "Will you turn over?" Aragorn whispers when their lips part.

"No," Boromir says, "like this. I want to be able to see you. Touch you."

"But I want to be able to hold you," Aragorn insists. "To have you in my arms."

He does not have the strength to deny Aragorn a second time. Boromir leans up and kisses him again, then nods. While Aragorn sits back with the salve, Boromir turns over onto his elbows and knees, shifting his hips. He rests his forehead against his arm for a moment, taking a deep breath.

Before he touches Boromir's erection again, Aragorn presses close, wrapping himself around him until his face is buried in Boromir's hair, his cock nestled in the cleft of his buttocks and his hands splayed possessively across Boromir's chest, holding on as their ankles rub and twist around each other. "I have wanted this so much."

Boromir's heart is in his throat, and it is so much easier to speak with Aragorn folded against him like this: "You have it. Yours. Take me." He presses back into the delightful warmth of Aragorn's body.

"No, yours," Aragorn whispers as he moves his damp fingers down to grasp Boromir's cock and positions his own against Boromir's still-slick opening. He pushes in slowly to avoid causing Boromir pain, though Boromir thinks his thrusts against Aragorn's palm must reveal that he is not too uncomfortable.

"Aragorn!" Boromir squeezes his eyes shut, trying to calm his pounding heart. His knees are trembling, and his mouth is very dry. Oh, but if Aragorn does not *move*... He groans helplessly, shoving back against Aragorn's hips. "Please," he whispers.

With a groan louder than Boromir's, Aragorn begins to thrust, and Boromir finds momentary control in the rhythm, feeling the hand moving on him in the same slow tempo. He silences his burning need to climax for as long as he can, moving with Aragorn, focusing on the sweet pleasure of being filled. Of having Aragorn behind him, inside him. "Mine," he gasps. "Oh. Aragorn." He shudders. "So— good. Please."

"Boromir," Aragorn chokes out. "You're...oh...yours..." With every word his control frays, until he slams into Boromir with the same urgent need. "Yes," he whispers, and "yours," and "love," and then only wordless, escalating groans escape his lips. Boromir is pushed forward with each hard thrust, his knees and hands rubbing harshly against the grass, but pleasure overrules discomfort. He rocks, meeting and matching Aragorn, trying to encourage him to move faster, crying out.

The heat and movement are too much, rhythm disintegrating as Aragorn tries to slow the inevitable ascent to climax. They are touching nearly everywhere they can, with Boromir's feet chafing Aragorn's legs, Aragorn's mouth diving to taste Boromir's shoulder. Pulling his weight back momentarily, he lets his fingers on the ground hunt for Boromir's, clutching at them. "Yes," Boromir gasps, "Aragorn!" His head rests back against Aragorn's shoulder, and he trembles. "Aragorn!" he cries, repeating the name like a litany, an anchor, as he lets go, jerking helplessly.

"Oh," Aragorn says as if startled when Boromir covers his hand with fluid. He holds tight through the tremors until the muscles clamping down on him ease up enough for him to begin to slide within the slick heat again; then one thrust, two, and Aragorn's climax pours out of him the way sounds pour from his throat, uncontrolled and joyous.

Boromir's arms cannot hold him for long, and even before he thinks Aragorn has sufficiently recovered, he all but collapses to the ground, hiding his face on his arms and gasping for breath. The Ranger cannot help falling with him, arms sliding around his body, slick with sweat. "Aragorn. You—that—oh."

Aragorn turns his face up, nuzzling the moist hair behind Boromir's ear, then the ear itself, pulling as if he wishes to turn them both onto their sides. Boromir rolls with him, pressing up against his chest. He takes ahold of Aragorn's wrist and draws the hand around to his mouth, kissing his palm tenderly. When Aragorn tries to capture his lips, Boromir wriggles around in his embrace until he is facing him. He tenderly strokes Aragorn's face before kissing him with as much tenderness as he can.

And Aragorn speaks with sorrow in his voice. "You should have more than this," he murmurs. "You deserve a better fate..."

"A better fate than being with you?" Boromir lets his face rest against Aragorn's warm shoulder, feeling sheltered and safe. "What more could I possibly want, or need?"

"Not to lie on the ground. Not to creep away in secret. To be with someone who will put you before all other things. Boromir, you have known too little kindness in your life. I can see the scars your father has left in you, and even, perhaps, your brother. And I do not know how to heal them."

"Aragorn." Boromir tightens his arms around him. "You cannot heal all my wounds. I do not expect that of you."

"Perhaps not." Something has shifted between them, Boromir realizes, for he is holding Aragorn now rather than the other way around, though they have not moved. "Still, I wish you would let me try. Tell me what hurts you; perhaps I can help."

Boromir kisses him again, before whispering, "There is a small rock digging into my hip..."

Effortlessly Aragorn rolls beneath Boromir, laughing as Boromir's weight crushes his breath from him. "Is that better?"

"Yes, much." Boromir braces himself on his arms, looking down. "Aragorn...I have not felt like that since...I cannot say that I have felt it before."

"I am sorry that I could not make it last," Aragorn whispers. "I tried, but I cannot stop myself when you say please."

"Do not be sorry. We have many more nights ahead of us on this journey. We will simply have to try again." Then suddenly he is caught between pleasure and terror: pleasure at the thought of the time they will remain together for the journey ahead; terror at the understanding that everything will change, soon, and at how lost he may be, how lost he is becoming already. He rests his head against Aragorn's shoulder again, finding it surprisingly yielding. "I think I—may get used to this."

Sliding up Boromir's back, Aragorn's fingers find their way into his hair and begin to stroke it. "I do not know if it is wise for us to get used to this. Have you never become...entangled with someone, knowing from the start that there might be a high price, thinking that it would be worth it nonetheless, and understanding only later that the price was higher than you could have imagined?"

"...yes." A face intrudes on his memories; with guilt Boromir pushes it aside. "But please, Aragorn, I do not wish to burden myself with such thoughts now."

Aragorn nods after a moment, and Boromir wonders whether it is already too late—whether the pain that he will feel when this must end, be it at a time and place of his choosing or not, will be more than he can bear.

"Do you want to sleep?" he asks.

"Yes, I would like to. Should we dress?"

"Probably. In case someone comes looking for us..."

"In that case, you will have to get off of me."

"Oh. I suppose you're right." Boromir pushes himself off of Aragorn, flopping onto his back beside him in the grass. After a moment Aragorn gets up on shaky knees to retrieve his clothing.

Still Boromir does not move, resting on his back, his skin mourning the loss of the other man's warmth. He looks up at the sky, and wonders: how long?

###

continued in Restoration

cruisedirector@littlereview.com
ashinae@last-dance.com

Title: Salve
Authors: Cruisedirector cruisedirector@littlereview.com and Ashinae ashinae@last-dance.com
Rating: NC17
Pairing: A/B
Summary: Aragorn and Boromir share secrets.
Warnings: Slash. Sappiness. Infidelity to Tolkien canon.
Disclaimer: We don't own the characters; they just tell us what they want to do. Notes: Sequel to "Remedy" and "Alleviation" (at YCD's web page, http://www.littlereview.com/fanfic/ ).
Archive: Rugbytackling, FellowShip, Library of Moria, our pages; others please ask.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]