Go to notes and disclaimers

Restoration
by Your Cruise Director and Ashinae


Where did you learn to do that?"

Boromir curses inwardly as the words leave his lips, as the comfortable laughter he has been sharing with Aragorn fades and the Ranger looks at him with curiosity. A few weeks of sharing blankets and the occasional evening escape into the woods—plus some late afternoons while hunting, one rushed noontime while waiting for the others to catch up and one early morning when Boromir was supposed to be on watch, mere feet away from where Gimli was sleeping—have not completely erased the previous months of distance and distrust. He did not mean to sound so demanding, obsessed with Aragorn's past.

"I was much younger," Aragorn says thoughtfully. "And not sure I liked it, at first. It disgusted me, and yet I enjoyed having it done to me so much that I grew to appreciate the power in the act. And the intimacy. Are you sorry I did it to you?"

Boromir hesitates for a long moment before shaking his head, afraid that a spoken disavowal might reveal too much enthusiasm on his part. Aragorn is very close to him, not quite touching, but leaning on an arm at his side. Soon, Boromir knows, they will do what they came here to do, but the past few times they have crept away together, they have spent as much time talking as touching.

Now he finds himself being studied again. Suddenly suspicious, Boromir demands, "Were you testing me?"

Aragorn's eyes widen. "Testing you?" When Boromir remains silent, he frowns. "I did it for pleasure, my own as well as yours. I enjoyed myself quite thoroughly. Did that escape your notice?"

"It did not." Ever since the first time they lay together, Aragorn has been less restrained, both vocally and in terms of his physical responses. The previous night, Boromir had feared that Aragorn would wake the others with his groans. Yet, much as he enjoys this power to affect the other man, Boromir cannot escape the feeling that his own control is being challenged as well. "I did not know what you enjoyed...whether it was what we did, or the fact that you could persuade me to do it."

"Perhaps both," admits Aragorn with an unabashed smile. "Why did you want to know where I learned it?"

Boromir shrugs. "Curiosity. I wondered how often...I do not believe that it is common practice in Gondor, especially between soldiers on the march."

"I am sure that it is not." The Ranger smiles again, mouth curling with what might be embarrassment or wistfulness. "You remind me of the man who taught it to me."

"Did you love him?" Boromir asks quietly, not certain that he wishes to know the answer. He expects Aragorn to glance over to see whether he asks out of envy, and to gloat when he discovers that it is so. But the Ranger looks pensive, studying the sky rather than Boromir's expression.

"He is special to me."

"He is. Still." There is a touch of rancor in Boromir's own voice that he cannot keep quiet.

"He always will be." Now Aragorn gazes back at him, eyes narrowed. "He is a very dear friend."

"A dear friend with whom you...yes."

The gaze upon Boromir still seems to be assessing him, but the voice is gentle. "Not for a very long time. Perhaps before you were born. I do not remember."

"I imagine not." This is perhaps an opportunity to learn more of the secrets of his companion's long past. "You said that you had met Arwen...how many years ago?"

"We met in Lórien thirty-eight years ago."

"Thirty-eight years!" It is beyond Boromir's imagining. "I have never had a lover for more than a few months, save one." Musing on this, he adds aloud, "Perhaps this is why I am not certain what it is you want of me. Nor, in truth, what I want of you."

"Who is this lover?" With an uncomfortable jolt, Boromir realizes that he had not expected Aragorn to express the same sort of interest in his life as he had shown in the Ranger's. This is not a question he is ready to answer.

"He is someone I have known nearly all my life," Boromir says dismissively. "We have always known that we could not stay together. But knowing has not made it any easier."

"I am sorry." Aragorn's voice is low and empathetic. "And as for what I want from you...I do not desire you take you from him, if that is what you fear."

Of course not, Boromir nearly says, and finds it necessary to hold back an ironic laugh. To say so would mean to suggest a lasting arrangement between the two of them, and Boromir is certain that Aragorn sees him as a temporary diversion, nothing more. "I did not fear that you did."

"Good. I do not wish to have that sort of worry between us."

The conversation that had been so warm seems to twist, becoming cool and pragmatic. "What sort of worry?" demands Boromir. "That I might suspect you of prying about my lover, while you might suspect me of resenting your fiancée and all the others who stand between you and me? Is this a game, Aragorn?"

"A game?" The Ranger stares as if he had never heard the word before. "No, not a game. I have enjoyed myself, certainly, but if you suggest that I am toying with you or your feelings, then you are wrong."

"Indeed." Boromir is uncertain whether the relief he feels is appropriate. "How would you describe what is between us, then?"

Straightening his clothing, Aragorn sits up, moving his eyes from Boromir's to the ground. "I am not certain what purpose a name for it would serve. I hope you do not think that we are merely using one another. I would be upset were you to stop seeking my company."

"I see." He is not certain that he does, but Boromir is also glad not to have to look at the other man, for he is certain that the leap of his pulse at Aragorn's words is neither honorable nor appropriate. His hands twist the leather of the belt that holds his scabbard as he wonders what the words mean.

"And when we come to the borders of Gondor, to the road that leads to my city?"

The sigh that escapes Aragorn's lips is loud enough for Boromir to hear. He turns to meet Aragorn's glance, but instead of the uncertainty he hopes to see, he is met with an implacably set jaw. "Do not start this again."

"I did not start it, Aragorn."

"No, but I will not carry the conversation there."

"Then perhaps we should end this...conversation. It seems that you feel free to ask what you will of me, but like a dutiful Steward, I am not permitted the same courtesy." This accusation is not entirely warranted, but Boromir finds himself angry at the barrier between them that he can neither see nor name. And how can he combat it, thus?

"It is unfair to bring any of that into this. Into what we share when we are alone," insists Aragorn. "Can these private moments not be separate from our burdens? I thought perhaps we might find respite in each other. "

Boromir knows that he should choose his words very carefully, waiting to speak until he can ask a reasonable question rather than launch an offensive, but Aragorn has forced his way past Boromir's guard, and he finds himself raising his voice in defiance. "Then that is what I am to you—respite. Very well, that is what you shall be to me as well."

"What is it that you want from me?" Aragorn demands angrily. "To tell you that you are a convenience? That there is no love in our...arrangement? Then when I kiss you, will you feel nothing?"

The tremor that wracks Boromir's body is enough to remind him that he cannot hide the intensity of his true feelings. He cannot beg Aragorn for his love, his kisses; he cannot even permit Aragorn to see how deeply they move him. All he can do is to pretend that his passion is for the act rather than the man. "I will feel the pleasure of the kiss," he confesses. "Is that not enough?"

"I suppose it will have to be enough."

Then, because he cannot hold back the words, Boromir blurts, "It would be easier if I had never learned your name."

Aragorn sighs once more. "I will remember to kick Legolas the next time I have the opportunity."

The sudden, unexpected change in tone makes Boromir snicker. "Perhaps you should restrain yourself. His opinion of Men is already low enough."

The Ranger laughs with him, but when Boromir looks at him, Aragorn's face grows somber. "I assumed it would be easier this way. I cannot imagine how you would have reacted to finding out, months from now, who I really am. I much prefer to live with your resentment now than with your spite later at not knowing until it is too late to salvage anything between us."

"What is it you hope to salvage?" Boromir bursts out. "I am the son of the...but I am not even permitted to speak of it." He glares.

"Perhaps we have spoken too much already," replies Aragorn in a calm, resigned tone. "I have already told you that I have no desire to play games with you."

"Aragorn, what is this, if not a game! That is all it can ever be," snaps Boromir, his clipped consonants emphasizing the frustration in his words. "You wanted—what was your phrase—you wanted respite. If that is what you seek in me, what more will there ever be?"

Boromir is uncertain what he hopes to gain, be it apology or simply greater passion than this dull acceptance. He seems, at least, to have succeeded in the latter, for Aragorn's eyes are suddenly lit from within, as if reflecting the distant fire of their camp. "Perhaps you are right." The Ranger does not smile, though he slowly extends an arm. From Boromir's position seated on the ground, the look and the extended hand appeared to make a demand. "Come here."

So Boromir goes. When their mouths meet, it is as though they have never argued, or maybe as though the argument has sparked a flame between them. The kisses are hot and fiery, tongues combating as if in a duel to subdue one another and fingers pressing greedily against one another's skin and hair. Aragorn's hands make quick work of Boromir's clothing.

"You are breathtaking," Aragorn whispers between kisses. "Boromir. Let me look at you..."

And suddenly Boromir cannot bear this, whether the Ranger calls it a game or respite, these moments of the most powerful feeling he has ever known that he knows mean something much less significant to Aragorn. "Stop speaking to me like that!" he exclaims, much more bitterly than he intends.

"Like what?" The other man draws back, some of the color fading from his flushed cheeks, though Boromir knows that his own are just as red. "I don't understand..."

"I am not some elf maiden you are courting! Do not speak to me as if I were your beloved." The moment the word escapes his lips, he wishes he had chosen another. "You must not...let us just do what we came here to do."

"Shall I kneel for you, then?" Aragorn's half-lidded eyes are dark with passion and perhaps, finally, with the same heated anger coursing through Boromir. "You can fuck my mouth if I talk too much."

"Aragorn..." The Ranger has, in fact, slid to his knees, and is pulling Boromir close with his hands. Though Boromir has spent much of the day fantasizing about Aragorn in this very position, he suddenly cannot bear it—he cannot escape the symbolism of the pose and the mockery it represents. "No," he protests. "Lie down."

The words come out more like a plea than an order. Aragorn's eyes open wide, yet he moves to obey. "Let us do this at the same time," Boromir tries to suggest in an efficient, rational manner. Calm, respite, that is what Aragorn seeks. "Turn around." With his hands he works free the rest of Aragorn's clothing, touching the warm, rough skin of his legs and then the softness between them, the silky flesh over muscle and the rougher texture of the sac.

Aragorn's mouth descends on him without warning, engulfing him in heat that sucks and clings, seeming to seek to mark him. Whether Aragorn wants to please him or merely demonstrate his mastery, Boromir cannot guess; nor does he know whether his own urgent response is a reaction to the overstimulation of his cock or to the complicated emotions making him ache more than his desires. He trembles, gasping in shame, pulling his mouth from Aragorn.

"Oh. Stop, stop! I will not last..."

"Mmm." The hum vibrates against Boromir's flesh. Aragorn's voice is muffled but he sounds soothing, even kind. "Stop fighting, love...there...let go..."

It would be all too easy to obey, yet Boromir forces himself to regain a measure of control. "No. Stop. Not like this." It is unbearable, this sweet, mutual...loving, that is what it feels like, though he dare not think of it as such, when brutality would be easier to accept. For it cannot be—it cannot last. He swallows. "Stop this and take me. Please."

Aragorn sits up slowly, gazing at him through wide, guileless eyes for a long, painful stretch of time. "Are you certain that is what you want?" he asks finally. Nodding, Boromir tries to hold Aragorn's glance but finds it easier to lower his head, even if the other man might read he gesture as submissive. He does not understand why Aragorn's eagerness has softened into caution.

Finally Aragorn nods in return. "If that is what you want...I can deny you nothing." He moves, too quickly for Boromir to roll over, pinning him on his back.

Boromir had wished to be taken from behind, pressed into the ground which would accept his fury or his pain in silence, never allowing Aragorn to see whether he weeps or grits his teeth or mouths words of joy that he will never speak aloud. Damp fingers penetrate him, the stinging stretch almost a relief, allowing him to flinch and turn his head to the side. Then Aragorn murmurs, "Don't close your eyes."

"You cannot ask me that!" He looks up at Aragorn, whose face is much too open, lips parted and eyes bright with tears that glitter in the dimness. "Please," Boromir begs, no longer caring what Aragorn thinks of his lack of honor. "Just do it fast."

Yet Aragorn continues to stare with that same pained, soft expression as he leans over Boromir, pressing excruciatingly close. "Why?" the Ranger asks softly. "What are you so afraid of seeing?"

"I...ahhh!" The forward slide and steady push of Aragorn's cock take Boromir by surprise, though he has been anticipating this feeling. He feels as though his body is tearing open, the same way Aragorn is tearing truths from his heart. The misery that surges in him is not only from the ache of penetration or the shame of allowing himself to be taken like a woman by a man to whom he wishes never to bow; it comes from a deeper place, from the understanding that he cannot hold Aragorn even when Aragorn is pressed deep inside his body, for Aragorn is neither friend nor lover but companion in a cause, and will be gone thereafter.

Yet alongside the pain runs another feeling which threatens to overwhelm all his suffering—a blazing heat that starts in his loins and radiates throughout his body like the joy of victory or the pleasure of conquest. That is what he cannot share with Aragorn, more than the pain. Boromir grates out, "It is what you would see..."

"What should I...oh! What should I fear?" murmurs the Ranger, gritting his teeth as he fights to hold Boromir's eyes.

"You...oh...Aragorn...hurts." Boromir feels Aragorn hesitate, then pull back, and quickly begs, "No, don't slow down! Don't..." The pain shifts, seeming to lodge in Boromir's throat. Tears sting his eyes. He wants to tear himself away, to flee and nurse his wounds, but even if pride would permit it, he could not stand to lose the shocking pleasure of this intimacy, the momentary belief that Aragorn is his...

"Boromir—now tell me you feel nothing. Tell me...ahh! Tell me I'm wrong!"

"I...I don't..." Boromir's voice is a sob. Aragorn's fingers wrap around his cock and stroke him, the way Aragorn now knows Boromir liked to be touched, rapidly and not too roughly, "Ahh—so close—"

"I...oh! Love! Tell me!" Aragorn cries out, and then, "Boromir!", followed by an inarticulate howl that might wake the Fellowship some distance away. Even in climax he maintains his touch on Boromir, and Boromir feels words welling in his throat, on his tongue, the words Aragorn had asked for...

"No, no, no!"

Shuddering, the other man slows, then pulls himself out. His eyes on Boromir's face are wild. "Did I hurt you? Let me..."

"Stop! Don't touch me..."

Aragorn hesitates, not understanding. "I thought you wanted this."

"Stop what you were asking!" Boromir pleads, knowing that if Aragorn asks again, or calls him by that endearment again, he will answer, and tell Aragorn everything. His breath comes in shudders. "Be silent. Please. Will you do that? Silent!"

The Ranger's chest is heaving, and he looks as though he will say more, but after a moment he swallows and nods. "Not a word, then." And he does not speak, even when Boromir calls his name as he thrashes, and utters wordless pleas, and finally shoots his seed into Aragorn's hands with a sobbing groan.

The Ranger moves as if he would pull away. But Boromir holds on to him, feeling his hands close too tightly around skin that recoils from his touch. He knows that his body is giving away his feelings, his wishes, yet in this vulnerable moment he is unable to help himself. "Stay," he mutters. "Give me a moment. Please."

With a long sigh, Aragorn yields to his desperation, resting in his arms. "Have whatever you need," the Ranger whispers. Boromir knows that Aragorn can surely feel him shaking. That he is lost, that he has already revealed to Aragorn all that he longs for, he can admit; yet he has nothing but his honor, and his oath to Gondor, to cling to now.

"I cannot be what you want," whispers Boromir. "I cannot give you what you want."

"I don't understand. I want nothing." Then Aragorn lowers his head, pressing his lips fiercely into Boromir's hair. "No, that is not true. You know that I am lying when I say I seek only respite. I thought only...Boromir, if I were any other man, would you deny me what I long for?"

"How can I answer that? You are not any other man," Boromir replies. His heart is still racing, his thoughts clouded by conflicting needs, and he still cannot make sense of Aragorn's question. "More to the point, what have I denied you that you long for? You have had me. You have had me begging for you."

"Yes, I have had you begging. I have had you crying out, on your back, on your knees—I have taken you so hard that I cannot remember who I am. But it is not the same as having you. I cannot call you mine. You will not be mine."

"If I give you any more of me, there will be nothing left," Boromir gasps, left breathless by Aragorn's words. "I will not remember where I owe my allegiance."

"But I would not ask that of you! For I already know where your allegiance lies." Aragorn gulps in a breath, and Boromir finds scant comfort in the recognition that the other man is shaking like himself. "Why are you here? Is it not simply convenient for us to find relief together, when our own hands do not suffice? If not for respite, then what?"

"For love." Surprise brightens Aragorn's eyes, and perhaps tears, but Boromir can see no further for his own vision is blurring. He had not meant to speak the answer aloud, but his tongue had found the words before his mind understood what he wanted to say, and he could not recall it now. Swallowing hard and blinking, he adds, "I too spoke falsely before. As you know. Perhaps for the same reasons that you did."

"I did not think you wanted to hear the truth," sighs Aragorn. "But Boromir, I will not lie anymore." His fingers grow suddenly tender, trailing through Boromir's hair and down his cheek. "If this has become too complicated..."

"It has been complicated from the beginning," Boromir interrupts. "Nothing in my life is my own to give. Nor yours, perhaps. I understood from the beginning that there would be a price."

Leaning back, Aragorn lets his head drop into the grass as he gazes up at Boromir. His fingers lift again, weave into Boromir's hair and pull his palm flat against Boromir's cheekbone, cupping it gently. Boromir lets his lids drift shut, but Aragorn presses his head up, forcing Boromir's eyes to meet his.

"I pay as high a price, I think," Aragorn whispers. "When this journey is over, wherever our paths may lead us, you will have a part of me." His free hand seeks out Boromir's, bringing the fingers to his lips, where he kisses the knuckles before resting Boromir's palm against his cheek. "I am sorry. I meant to bring you pleasure, not regret."

"But I do not regret this!" Boromir's fingers stroke Aragorn's face, fumbling into his hair and around the back of his head to draw him closer. "I—I regret that we are not free. That we did not meet at a different time, and in a different place. Though perhaps it would not have mattered."

He pauses, considering his place and Aragorn's, and understands for the first time that perhaps there is a way. If he is Gondor's destined Steward, and Aragorn is the long-prophesied King...but Aragorn will not even discuss turning to Minas Tirith until they have seen the Ring into Mordor, and Boromir cannot imagine that his father will accept this Ranger from the North as his legitimate ruler.

Moreover, Aragorn is betrothed to a Elven lady, and Boromir himself will be expected to marry and continue the Steward's bloodline. No matter what fate lies in store for them, there will be no simple enjoyment. Even so, he would not give up whatever part of this he could keep; were it in his power to control his destiny, he would remain at Aragorn's side.

Swallowing, Boromir meets Aragorn's eyes again. "I do not regret this," he repeats. "And you have brought me pleasure, more than you can know. I can no more be yours than you can be mine, but I love you nonetheless."

Suddenly Aragorn's mouth is on his, and Boromir feels himself pulled into a tight embrace. "As I do you," the Ranger whispers. "When we disagree, when we argue, my feelings do not change. And when I fear most for you..." He falls silent and kisses Boromir again, hands tangling in his hair.

By the time they draw apart, Boromir has forgotten what, if anything, he meant to ask, or to say. In spite of his turmoil, he feels content, even happy in this moment—undivided, whole. "Stay," he whispers as he did before, and Aragorn settles against him:

"I have never wished to leave."

###

cruisedirector@littlereview.com
ashinae@last-dance.com

Title: Restoration
Authors: Cruisedirector cruisedirector@littlereview.com and Ashinae ashinae@last-dance.com
Rating: NC17
Pairing: Aragorn/Boromir
Summary: The past and future overlap the present.
Warnings: Slash. Sappiness. Infidelity to Tolkien canon.
Disclaimer: We don't own the characters; they just tell us what they want to do.
Notes: Sequel to "Remedy", "Alleviation" and "Salve".
Our web pages: http://www.littlereview.com/fanfic/, http://www.last-dance.com/vox/
Archive: Rugbytackling, FellowShip, Library of Moria, our pages; others please ask.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]