Go to notes and disclaimers

Surrender to the King
Out of Reason's Lapse Part One
by lavingaround


B oromir woke up this morning hard. His back was tight and stiff. Muscles knotted and cramped. Sleeping around the rocks at the base of the mountain was not at all like sleeping in a bed he mused. He yawned and stretched his arms over his head, scrunching his shoulders and twisting from side to side. Maybe the soreness in his back and shoulders would work itself out with the day's long miles.

A small sound caught his attention and he turned to see Aragorn silhouetted against the morning sun. His hair blazed in the golden rays, his profile absolutely vigorous and radiant. This form before him was surely a distillation of the best of Gondor. As it had been since leaving Rivendell, he longed to reach out and touch tenderly this person who promised fulfillment for his land and people. Yet he clearly felt that Aragorn saw him as a rival. The stubborn set of his jaw, clenched tighter, whenever he, Boromir, asked a question. A rival for what, he could not say, Gondor, perhaps?

Once, when in Rivendell, he had rested his hand on the back of Aragorn's, where it had remained, their eyes locked together. Moments it had lasted...longer than moments. He had been sure that Aragorn would feel his offer, his surrender, in that gesture. But Aragorn had pulled back and away. So Boromir would show his love with valor and with the blade. Could he then refuse his heart? Boromir smiled. Today was his day to be last in the line of the Fellowship, to guard the rear. Aragorn would be walking ahead of him, he mused to himself, as he laced up his boots. His chance to watch, unobserved, with wonder and love, the man he called Aragorn.

He had been daydreaming again: loving dreams of desire for Aragorn. Boromir shook himself slightly and glanced around at his companions. Legolas was speaking softly to Haldir in elvish and gesturing at their respective bows, probably trading tips or compliments. The hobbits were nowhere in sight. They were probably all off bathing together somewhere. Aragorn was sitting near, but with his back to him, obviously not wanting to talk. The loss of Gandalf had dampened the spirits of the Fellowship. And, judging from the snoring, Gimli slept heavily not far away.

The audience with Celeborn and Galadriel had left him shaken. He was feeling tired and more than a little angry. He was the one, after all, who had grabbed Frodo and physically hauled him out of Moria. Why did his actions always seem to inspire questions and doubts? His loyalty to the Fellowship and the Quest he had proven time and again. Maybe he should have just let Frodo throw himself off the bridge after Gandalf. Of course that would have meant the loss of the Ring. And that he could not abide. So he had carried the hysterical hobbit kicking and screaming all the way up and out of the mines.

Now he lay back on the soft leaves and gazed upwards. Lothlórien was unnerving and wondrous. All around him the leaves shimmered in shades of green-gold, dancing and vibrating as if to an unseen music. It all made him feel insubstantial and unreal, like living inside some kind of dream.

Feeling a little sorry for himself, his thoughts shifted suspiciously.

To Sam.

Sam was always there, coddling Frodo. Sam was always there, agreeing with and defending Frodo.

The more and more he thought of it, the more it seemed that this whole distrust of him was the fault of Sam.

Sam was always shielding Frodo from any differing word or opinion. Sam soothing away any fear or doubt Frodo might have about the Quest...or the fate of the Ring.

Frodo might have given the Ring to him if not for Sam. There really was no reason why Frodo should have to bear the burden of the Ring all by himself.

If Frodo, was bound to the Ring and slave to its fickle whims, then surely Sam was a slave to Frodo...and Frodo's fickle whims. That kind of abject loyalty was something that came from respect. Respect earned; proven in deed and in battle.

Did you not also show such loyalty to a lover?

It came on him in an instant. Why hadn't he seen it before? Sam was in love with Frodo! It was more than just the Quest...Sam was a total slave to his love for Frodo! His heart captured by those unbelievably beautiful eyes. Those incredible blue eyes, always full of pained looks and longing. Frodo's eyes were always full of adoration for "his Sam".

His breath caught for a moment: God, would Aragorn ever look at him in that way?

Sam's reason was clouded by love! That must be it... that clouded judgment was going to carry, coddle, and cajole Frodo all the way to Mordor. Where surely the ring would fall back into Sauron's hands.

Oh poor Sam. He was going to have to have a talk with him and set him straight.

It would do no good to talk of this openly around the others though, it was too intimate. He was going to have to find a moment where he and Sam could talk alone. Maybe Sam could understand if he shared some of his own feelings about Aragorn. What the mad torment of love can do. Maybe he could gain Sam as an ally and then perhaps turn the aim of the Quest. His people would surely not hesitate to proclaim Aragorn king if he brought a boon as great as the One Ring back to Gondor.

For Aragorn then, and for the salvation of his people, he would convince Sam of his folly. He must convince him. Samwise would have to listen to reason.

Somewhere high up in the trees he heard the soft music of tinkling chimes. It sounded like Galadriel's laughter.

He rolled to his side on the soft spongy leaves. It was nearly sunset and he watched as the rays of the late afternoon sun filtered through the branches above. Tonight he would find a way to talk to Sam, alone, in a quiet secluded place.

###

Dinner always a majestic affair in Lothlórien, was made more so for the Fellowship and myself, Estel. The table was a large rectangle with Galadriel and Celeborn seated together with the hobbits on one end, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, Haldir and I seated at the other. The meal prepared for the Fellowship was simple, yet elegant. There was fruit and wine, and many plates were filled with a variety of breads and nuts. A wonderful type of drink that tasted of tree saps and sugars, that gave the feeling of floating when you drank it, was served. I spoke softly to Haldir about the next day's journey. I noticed that Boromir would gaze intently at the Hobbits and then at me. More than once I caught him staring at my face or resting his gaze on some other part of me. I was keenly aware of his infatuation.

What Boromir did not seem to realize, however, was that I was becoming as deeply infatuated with him.

It was in Rivendell that he first began to intrigue me. Tall, dark and passionate. He strutted through the elven palaces and gardens with a clumsy sweetness, as if he had always belonged there. In the meeting halls and common rooms he would tell heroic tales of Gondor's struggles. Always with a deep resonant voice and with particular flair, gesturing with his arms, or flourishing his sword to make the story more real and lively. Once, in the garden below my window, I heard him singing to a small group of elves. His voice low and sweetly gruff. A beautiful song of Gondor about the love between a warrior and his betrothed. A love that could never be, for the warrior was destined to die in a battle. I wept.

I felt more and more awkward around him. I watched him with a growing sense of excitement and repressed longing.

There really had been no time for Boromir and I in Rivendell. How could I under Arwen's nose? I could not hurt her so cruelly, so openly and force her to endure the ill-perceived ridicule.

Gradually, on the road though, I became more and more agitated and on edge around him, such was my constant desire for his physical body. I satisfied myself with stolen glances and once, touching with my own hand. Imagining, in my mind's eye, both of us lying naked in the other's arms.

What was this warrior like? Under all that leather?

This was my real conflict. I knew it was more than just the sum of my sexual desire and infatuation. I felt a completeness around him...just because he was near to me. The tension that arose occasionally between us was a rebellion, a futile attempt to deny our physical desires and our deepest needs for one another.

After the meal he moved his leg to rest against mine. I had recently grown used to the idea of taking comfort where I could...especially after the ordeal of Moria. So I did not move my leg away as I normally would have. I picked up my half-filled glass of wine and tapped it lightly against his glass.

Boromir seemed somewhat surprised that I hadn't pulled away from him. I was surprised I didn't. I was surprised at his surprise. Under my leggings, I stirred. I knew what it meant. His touch seemed the most natural thing to me now. My eyes smoldered intently into the sky blue of his. I would never again pull away. My thoughts became focused with a sudden purpose. He broke my gaze to glance up to where the hobbits sat. Galadriel laughed suddenly and rose from her seat.

"Good Guests, you must rest for tomorrow's journey and we must prepare the items to complete your departure. You will have your comforts and these will be as normal as sleep to you here. The love of one's heart can endure no pretense in Lothlórien, and all who come here desire healing in this way. "

Her eyes twinkled once toward mine and she then looked and smiled at Boromir.

I knew that tonight I would show Boromir how much I felt I needed him.

###

Boromir lay quietly on his bed and waited until it seemed the heavy sounds of sleep were the only sounds around him. He rose and stole quietly down the path to where a pair of hobbits were sleeping.

Aragorn lay awake also and heard Boromir move quietly away. With stealth that only a ranger trained with elves can possess, he silently rose and followed him.

Boromir wondered as he crept quietly down the path, how was he going to get Samwise alone? Away from Frodo? What excuse could he find?

As he rounded the corner, he stopped short, for there was Galadriel leading Frodo away from his bed. Sam lay sleeping still as Frodo followed Galadriel as if in a stupor.

Galadriel had unintentionally solved his problem! Sam was now alone! What a stroke of luck!

Boromir watched silently as Galadriel led Frodo away. She stopped abruptly...as did an apparently sleepwalking Frodo, then she turned to look directly at him. Boromir gazed intently at her and watched as silently she ran her fingers along her face, closed her eyes, and laid a hand over her heart. Words flashed through his mind....

"Do not fear that your love is in vain, Man of Gondor. First yield to your heart's desire, and in time, you will find it reflected back to you in kind." Slowly she turned back around and resumed the slow pace with a mesmerized Frodo, both moving farther and farther away till they were lost from sight.

Had Galadriel just by happenstance given him this chance to talk to Sam? Had it really been unintentional? He didn't think that anything Galadriel could do or say would be unintentional. She seemed a very deliberate elf. Maybe she held no suspicion or mistrust of him after all?

Did she know of his feelings for Aragorn? How could she?

He shook his head slightly and brought his focus back to himself and the task at hand. Slowly he inched his way toward the sleeping Sam. He crept along the ground, crouching down, and moving a hand up, he clamped it firmly over Sam's mouth. Sam awoke startled, and struggled in his grasp. Raising an index finger to his lips in a "SSHH" Sam took a few seconds to quiet as he moved his hand away.

"What's this ? Long-shanks?" Sam questioned. "Frodo? Where's Frodo?"

"With Galadriel, and safe I think, so just relax my friend," he paused, then he began again .."I have to talk to you Sam. I think you are being misled. I think your heart has led you to do strange things that are not good for the Quest...or the Fellowship," he stammered and the words seem to fall apart.

Here was this kind and loyal hobbit, Samwise Gamgee...and what was he trying to say after all? How could he say what no longer carried conviction...his fearful and worried thoughts burst and floated away, hollow and insubstantial. There was no blame here. Where were his 'reasons'?

"Your love of Frodo...my love of...we can't let love influence things...I mean the way we do or say...what we do or say....The Ring needs to go to..." he stammered and then broke off suddenly as a strong hand clamped over his mouth. Aragorn crouched right behind him. His hand held firmly over his mouth.

"Peace, Boromir," Aragorn whispered in his ear. "Sam, go back to sleep. Boromir and I must talk. The Woods of Lothlórien have stirred...," he paused, hand still clamped tightly, "...much feeling." He nibbled on the back of Boromir's neck and then angled his own head slightly to give him a tender look.

"Yes, Strider," Sam mumbled and rolled lightly over to return to sleep.

"You must come back and rest, for morning will come too soon for us all." He winked at Boromir and then stood up, letting his hand slide off his mouth, as he moved away...motioning him to follow. Quietly they slipped back down the path to where their own beds lay.

Arriving, they both sat down, each on their respective beds and looked at each other without saying a word. Boromir lay back and watched as Aragorn lay back also. He could see only Aragorn, all else was in shadow. Aragorn moved to touch his chest and smiled. He shifted his body closer. He then moaned and turned closer to Boromir. Boromir could now see him clearly. Aragorn's face framed beautifully in the night's light.

"Boromir, you must forget the Ring and trust me" he said, moving now so his whole body would lie atop, pressing tightly against the man from Gondor. Boromir strained against him but he did not struggle or pull away. His eyes locked tightly in a match of wills with Aragorn's.

Aragorn's eyes then welled up with tears, and Boromir saw him completely, all this longing, all this inner conflict, reflected his own, and then his tears began too.

He realized it suddenly. He saw how deeply this man, Isildur's heir, wanted him. "Aragorn" he murmured, and he moved his arms. placing his hands so that he could gently hold his face. Timidly, Boromir felt his face and neck. Tenderly he moved his fingers to play lightly with Aragorn's ears.

"You are utterly unique in all the world, Boromir. Your beauty, your bravery, your grace..." His hand stroked Boromir's hair and gently he bowed his head to lightly kiss his chest. His teeth pulled lightly with the fabric of his shirt. He looked up and smiled broadly.

Stunned and shaking, Boromir stroked the stubble on Aragorn's face. "I feel as if I have always known you Aragorn...my heart...," his voice trailed to a whisper.

"Aniron"...Aragorn murmured, planting small kisses along his lips and chin. He stopped suddenly remembering Boromir spoke no elvish, so he drew his head back slightly and lifted it, as he looked deeply into his eyes. "I desire nothing less than your reckless heart Boromir, and into your hands I give you mine."

Suddenly he found himself at a loss for words. Boromir's mind reeled to take it all in. This is my surrender...Oh My Captain and My King... "I love you Aragorn."

He looked into the icy intensity of his incredible eyes.

Then he, Boromir, Captain of Gondor, gave in...for he could resist him no more...his mouth came up to meet his, his lips parted, passion swelling in his body, and he was suddenly lifted and rising up. He began pulling at himself, stripping off his clothes.

Soon they were naked and embracing each other. Both giving in to it, with nothing held back. Alive and reveling in each other's body, speaking love's secret language in soft moans and kisses.

Exquisite, and it seemed endless, and Boromir went right on, with Aragorn loving him right up on top...

then loving around behind and inside him...

and then his mouth was slowly riding down the mountain of him...

He felt as if he were falling.

~~~

lavingaround@yahoo.com

Part Two: What Can and Cannot Be

A big THANKS goes out to Sue! THANKS for beta on this!
Comments greatly appreciated
FIC: Title: "Out of Reason's Lapse-Surrender to the King Pt 1"
Website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~peetoad4/index.html
Author: lavingaround
Rating: 'R ' Romance, Angst, Sexual Situations.
Pairing: Boromir/Aragorn
Author's Note: All Archive and Lists OK, libraryofmoria.com, ff.net, Slashlords. Take it and post it anywhere you like.
Setting: Lothlórien after Moria
Disclaimer: Characters are not mine and this story is just for fun and not for commercial use or gain.
Add. Notes: None
Setup: Movie Canon.
Summary: In which a self-deluded Boromir projects his own inner turmoil on an innocent Samwise and finds himself surprised as his growing feelings for Aragorn move out into the open.

back to top


Home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Guestbook] [Writers' Resources] [Home]