Continued from Introduction

 

New Authors Chat aka "Up and Cumming"

 

On August 22, the Office was proud to present the "Up and Cummming" chat when new and brilliant talents from the X-Files slashdom came to visit us and talked and answered questions about writing, slash and more.

A big "thank you" goes to all of our guests: MJ, JiM, Te, Drovar, DMilan Milan, Viridian5, Alicia and Valeanna (aka JCSun). They were analytical, inspiring, humorous and wicked. And the guests seemed to be enjoying themselves too very much. Thank you all for joining us!  Another big "thank you" also goes to Gray Shadows, who worked long and hard to make this panel happen. Great job, GS!

As always, all nicks with the exception of the guests have been altered to protect both the guilty and the innocent. Due to connecting trouble (read AOHell) JiM wasn't present at the chat, but was answering the questions through MJ.

And now to the action...


 

* Host1 clears her throat

<Host1> Okay, everyone. Let's get started.

<Host1> I'd like to welcome everyone to our Up and Cumming Writer's Chat. We have 7 writers who are hear to talk about their work and your response to it as a reader

<MJ> JiM sort of here again

<Host1> In one corner we have Te, and Alicia.

* Alicia raises cuffed wrist.

<Host1> We also have JC Sun who is also known as Valeanna

<Host1> Viridian5, and MJ and DMilan

<Host1> Drover and Jim who MJ is channeling

<Host1> I hope you've all had a chance to read some if not all of their work.

<Host1> Thanks to all of you for being here !

<Host1> Okay, let's start with a basic question. What appealed to you about the X-Files as a new writer?

<Te> Alex. Alex. Alex.

<DMilan> All the subtext and opportunities to play with people's motivations is what got me.

<DMilan> Well, him too.

<MJ> Mulder and Skinner ... and Alex, DMilan, I admit it.

<Viridian5> My psychic connection to Mulder, and the fact that I've been writing XF stories in my head for years

<DMilan> Existential lust... yes.

<Viridian5> Esistential angst, yes

 

<Host1> So the men? Is that what you're telling us? <g>

<Te> It becomes narcissism after a certain point.

<MJ> JiM: Strong characters and room for backstory

<Drovar> The characters definately, and the entire X-Files universe

<MJ> JiM: and all that lovely ambiguity of action and motivation

<DMilan> The whole mytharc just sucks you in.

<Viridian5> Well, I haven't liked Scully since Season 2

<DMilan> I'd do her.

<Viridian5> Mabiguity is beautiful

<MJ> Scully disappoints me. I'd do her anyway, though -- I have a thing for redheads

<Te> Well, Host1, Alex is beautiful, but the character was so wonderfully fascinating. Especially as portrayed in fan fiction.

<Viridian5> Uh, she's not a natural redhead...

<DMilan> Yeah, it's so fun trying to posit how such a gorgeous man got so damaged on the inside.

<Viridian5> Yet he is, and he just moves on with it

<Te> But she looks *good* as an unnatural redhead.

<Guest6> Well, GA is very different from Scully.

<MJ> Damn right, Te

<Viridian5> Scully's hair changes color every week. OK< I'm done with that subject

<Guest10> LOL... like her hair anyway!

<MJ> and let's face it <drool> -- XF has more male pulchritude per square inch than almost any other show.

<Guest6> I like the Platonic Form of Scully, not what she gets stuck doing.

<Viridian5> Definitely

<Te> Damned skippy, MJ. As for Scully.... I can pity her for the character assassination. Sometimes. When I'm feeling charitable.

 

<Host1> So is there one character that you focus on, or do you like exploring them all?

<Viridian5> :::looking away, whistling::::

<MJ> I'll explore as much as I can get.

<Viridian5> There are times when I *am* Mulder. The others talk to me

<Guest6> "Exploring?" Is that what the kids are calling it these days...

<Alicia> Alex, Alex, Alex... what was the question?

<Te> Alex. We were talking about ALex.

<Viridian5> Pendrell's fun because he's almost a blank slate you can project things on

<MJ> JiM says all the guys are worth it

<Te> Seriously, what V said about Mulder, that's how Alex is for me.

<Viridian5> Aside from the canan portrayal of "nice guy who finishes last"

<Guest10> MJ, do you feel the same with Skinner... being him when you write him (and first person, too;-)?

<Te> Byers isn't so much fun as.... *necessary*

<MJ> I hate to admit that I can't get into Pendy

<Drovar> Everyone like to do the Mulder stories, but the minor characters can be just as interesting. Also, peronally, I think they allow a lot more character exploration than the big 4. You can really get into the minor character's head without having to take a lot of backstory into account.

<MJ> Now, Skinner... whew. I HEAR Skinner in my head.

<JCSun> The voice of god, like.

<Viridian5> The thing speople have done to Holly, for instance...

<Alicia> MJ, I feel the same about Skinner. So it goes.

<Drovar> Viridian: About Pendrell, exactly!

<Alicia> That is, I can't get into Sk.

<Host3> MJ - that displays in your pencil series ;)

<Viridian5> Me neither

<MJ> For some strange reason, I don't "get into" Skinner, I get "into" Skinner.

<Viridian5> Tho I do like the Pencils series

<Te> Mulder only talks to me when I'm good and depressed.

<MJ> Know you like Pencils, V; thanx

<Guest10> ::smiles:: It sure sounds like it, MJ... very good! Just read the first "pencil" story, and adored it!

<DMilan> MJ can really write Skinner like no one else.

<MJ> I have Skinner heavily backstoried. I have much more than the show gives.

<MJ> I'll be disappointed if I ever discover I'm way off what CC and Mitcxh backstoried.

<Guest10> He is much more than the show gives, I think, and I like it you give him a poetical, ohilosophical side.

<DMilan> Like they'd ever tell us if we were right.

* Host2 loves to see Skinner backstoried.

* Guest10 does not care much anymore what CC does with the characters - they have a life of their own.

<Guest6> We are curious (yellow)

* MJ agrees with Guest10 wholeheartedly

<Te> What? Curious about which?

<Host2> And it's a slashy life!

<Guest13> yeah, viridian. <G>

<DMilan> Bi-curious?

<Guest6> Everything

<MJ> People miss that Skinner's been to college, almost certainly has to have a law degree... he's not stupid and he's not purely there to flex muscle (though he sure can do that...<g>

* JCSun drools. Skinner..Flex. Muscle. God.

 

<Host2> so, authior's backstories for the characters need to be based on what CC gives us (the little he gives us!)

<Viridian5> we fill in the blanks and extrapolate

* Te muses on the things Bobby taught.... decides to flirt some more. Well... to some extent. I mean, I can base backstory on a moment's expression.

<Guest6> Unless what he gives us doesn't make sense. cf. CSM

<Te> Oh yeah, Guest6. Then you just say fuck it and make your own assumptions.

<Drovar> I see Skinner as being just as sharp as Mulder, but in a different way.

<Guest14> Yes, exactly.

<DMilan> I don't have a clear backstory on anyone. I just go mainly by emotions, trying to put myself in the character's place. I'm not organized or experienced enough to do backstories.

<Alicia> My backstory changes somewhat from story to story.

<Viridian5> Te is stunned by my memory for useless show trivia

<JCSun> Ditto--my grasp of what's canon is extremely loose, so I don't dare start filling in the blanks.

<Viridian5> Mine too

<Viridian5> Inevitable with my love of first time stories

<DMilan> Oooh, yeah, a weakness of mine also.

<MJ> JiM: very little backstory herself

<Host1> Well, that leads to my next question which is do you see multi universes at once or can you only work in one?

<MJ> JiM has lots of eps to catch up on

<Viridian5> Getting them to that point for the first time is always fun

<Te> I just wanna get the angst outta the way so they can screw. I'll admit it.

<DMilan> Depends on how far apart those AUs are.

<Alicia> Well, I write multiple pairings, so I guess I'd better be able to see multi universes.

* Drovar is mising several of the 'essential Pendrell' eps

<DMilan> I can appreciate them and admire the writers who do them so well, just haven't done it yet myself.

* Guest14 curls up and purrs at Alicia's feet.

<Viridian5> I always have 2 or 3 stories going in my head at once

* JCSun has yet to see Piper Maru

<Guest14> Only 2 or 3?

<Viridian5> sometimes more

<MJ> For my series, I'm very consistent on backstory, but thank God for those AU's so I can change 'em

<Viridian5> I take advantage of gaps

<Guest6> Slash writers always take advantage of gaps

<Te> Part of the beauty of the XF is that they keep *so* many things ambiguous that there are *very* few things that you have to flat out label AU.

<DMilan> Yes, gaps can be very useful.

<Te> Let's face it, we can even say: "Mulder got Alex out of the silo and fucked him stupid for several weeks"

<Viridian5> I spent the Weaknesses series filling in gaps and trying to make sense of the senseless in the show

<MJ> Unless you talk to Hester on atxc!

<Viridian5> Oh, he did, he did

<Alicia> Oh yes, do let's say that!

<JCSun> Say? Who said anythign abotu *saying*?

<Te> And who knows? It might have really happened. See V's Weaknesses series.

* Guest7 hester - snort

<JCSun> Hester. Hester. Augh.

* MJ thinks Te has a beautiful and inspiring plot there

* Alicia stays far far away from atxc most of the time.

<DMilan> Never been there, don't plan to start now.

<Te> Oh, the flamewars can be *so* invigorating.

<Guest14> BAD HESTER!!!

* Guest7 I'm thinking of quitting atxc

<Guest14> She's forgotten to take her meds for several weeks now.

* Drovar credits Hester for introducing him to Dark Nascent's woderfully dark and humerous fanfic.

<Guest14> I have, mostly.

* MJ danmces on Hester's grave...

<JCSun> Hester needs to be forced point blank to read some smutty S/f fic.

<Viridian5> bitter much, folks? <g>

* Guest14 lights candles and invokes Kali to take care of Hester

<Guest7> I loved the story posted in "answer" to hester

<Viridian5> I did too

<Guest14> Hey, she drove me away, and her fanfic is sooooooooo bad. Even worse than the story where Mulder throws up into his bowel.

* Alicia would much rather play with her Beautiful Boyz than worry about idjits.

<JCSun> Dude, she writes fanfic?

<Viridian5> AU

<Viridian5> multiple Aus

<Guest14> Hey, I'm multitasking, I'm being mean to my list.....sort of.

 

<Host1> New question: Why slash?

<Viridian5> I don't get to see slash in too many other places

<Guest14> Why not slash, Guest14 says pertly.

* JCSun nods.

<Alicia> BECAUSE IT'S SO DAMN FUN! And Alex, Alex, Alex.Next question?

<JCSun> Besides, it pisses homophobes off. And Alex. Alex.

<MJ> Why? Because. Next?

<Te> Pretty boys, messy things, nary a moist, velvety fold.

<DMilan> It just hit me like a thunderbolt. Major sexual epiphany. So exciting to think of men losing control with each other.

<Viridian5> Because that's what's showing up in my brain

<Viridian5> There's that, yes

<MJ> Okay, I'm a dyke. I find MSR very unnatural and offensive. Unless it's very very tasteful and blurry.

<Viridian5> MSR is often so bad

<JCSun> MSR is cliche hell.

<Te> And PG., MJ. No more than PG

<Guest14> God, it's so formulaic and it seems to be more revelatory of the writer's personal fantasies.

<DMilan> Besides, I know what het sex is like. I want to read and write about something beyond my personal experience.

<Viridian5> Harlequin romance territory

<JCSun> ...teenboppers write MSR. 'Nuff said.

<MJ> Rather read / write gay male smut/romo than get NEAR the evil nasty filthy straight stuff that Hester likes...

<Te> I'm not as interested in Scully as in the other characters, who happen to all be male.

<MJ> JiM: why slash? Writing it is safe sex... as is reading it

<Alicia> Besides, who could compete with Alex, Alex, Alex?

<MJ> JiM: plus you get to work out amusing sexual issues with it

<Te> Alex.

<Guest14> Well, Scully's been turned into this vicious caricature, so I pretend she's been abducted and only the boyz are still real

<JCSun> Scully usually seems to have a reactive role. In addition, her past, family, neuroses have been explored so well...

<DMilan> If you've ever seen a well made male porn flick, this question will be moot.

<Guest14> Alex, Fox, Walter......

<MJ> JiM: also FUNFUNFUNFUNFUN

<Guest6> And amusing political issues

<Guest14> Hot men together having hot sex, dealing with issues of relating, territory, breaking new ground.

<MJ> JiM: has written gay male characters since HS

<Te> And I like the way the boys can chatter without stepping on gender issues.

<Viridian5> with the way things are, the passion has to overwhelm all the RL problems such a relationship has

<Guest4> what is gender issues?

<Viridian5> It's interesting

<MJ> I can't get into Scullywriting cause I don't have a good date for her... so I let the guys at it

<Te> When I write my female characters (in orig. work) I have these backstory things... What's gonna piss her off?

<Guest14> Listen, I know someone who can't write Scully at ALL any more, because she hates the way the character has evolved.

<Alicia> Guest4, gender issues in terms of M/F relationships.

<Viridian5> :::raises hand::: I have problems with her too

<Guest4> nowonder i had no clue LOL

<Te> YEs, but your Evil!Scully is a blast Viridian.

<Viridian5> Isn't she, just?

<Guest14> Cold as hell with the fires out.

<Guest10> Evil Scully?? Want toknow more...!

<Viridian5> Isn't she, just?

<Guest14> Cold as hell with the fires out.

<JCSun> Rip Mulder's balls off, fry 'em in batter and still want some yogurt.

<Te> "The Truth"

<DMilan> I find it hard to write Scully because she's so unemotional. She comes across as cold and unsympathetic a lot of the time.

<Viridian5> Winner and still champeen...

<JCSun> To me, Scully's unemotionality is what makes her fascinating. She's an icicle in a furnace of passionate people--Skinner, Mulder, Krycek, and it's a curious juxtaposition worth exploring.

<Te> I wrote a arelatively positive Scully. Once. But that was before I started watching the show.

<MJ> I do normally sort of like Scully, but EvilScully is so neat...

<Viridian5> I'm more likely to write her in my non-slash stories

<JCSun> Scully? Positive? Optimistic? *Nice*? Wha?

<Alicia> Er, um, I started out writing Scully. (ducks)

<Viridian5> I miss seasons 1 and 2 Scully...

<MJ> I normally like Scully mostly, but V's EvilScully rocks

<Viridian5> <g>

<JCSun> Alicia, I wrote MSR. My sins are worse than your sins.

<DMilan> Good point, JCSun. But that's a project for a writer much better than I.

<Te> <snickers> There was this one nearly MSR scene in "Aenima"

<Guest2> so, say the Scully in 'Iolokos' is a well written scully... especially for a het story

Guest7 Eeek MSR

<Viridian5> Comparing sins? This could be fun...

<Alicia> Hah! You opened the door! MORE AENIMA!!!

<Drovar> Someone remind me... who did the Scully rapes Kryceks story from a while back... fascinating stuff.

JCSun loves Iolokus Scully.

<Alicia> JC, so did I.

<JCSun> ...I believe that was Rachel Arlington...

<Guest14> Well, my problem with Iolokus is that I don't like either character and don't want to read it.

<MJ> JiM: can't find a Scullyvoice

<Viridian5> Yeah, Te, but she tied him up and pierced and raped him...

<Guest14> It's beautifully written.

<Guest14> But I don't care about either of them.

<MJ> I sagree about Iolokus

<JCSun> Well, did *you* write *mushy* MSR? Schmoop?

<Host2> How many of you have writtten MSR? I have two definites, and a couple more kinda MSRs.

<JCSun> To the tune of 'One Headlight' by the Wallflowers?

<Guest14> NEVER.

<DMilan> This might be sacrilege, but I sorta like the rougher Scully/Skinner stories.

<Te> But that was *later*, Viridian

<Viridian5> gah!

<MJ> MSR? NEVER! No unnatural vice flows off my keyboard...

Te cackles at "One Headlight"

<Viridian5> My Dead to the World wasn't MSR, some people just chose to read it that way

<Te> Joyce has done some *sweet* "MSR" though....

<Alicia> Host2, I never wrote explicit MSR. They were in a relationship, but nothing was onscreen.

<Guest14> Hey, when I wrote Pale Horse, Dark Rider, people THOUGHT it was MSR and I was horrified.

<Guest6> I write crossovers so I can pair Scully with someone more suitable.

<Viridian5> the dark secrets come out...

<Guest7> I've liked the couple of Krycek/Scully I've read

MJ burns a pile of MSR in disgust

<JCSun> Skippers!

<Te> Like who, Guest6?

<Te> And, we all see what we wish to...

<MJ> JiM: Never, no way, they're not supposed to have sex.

Te is working on a Sc-Krycek

<JCSun> The Alex Idol...

<Guest6> From Forever Knight, Natalie Lambert. LaCroix.

<Guest14> Not me, I see possiblities everywhere except with poor Scully.

<Viridian5> Profound!Te

 

<Host1> New Question: What other authors have influenced you?

<DMilan> If CC & Co. would allow Scully to have sex on the show every once in a while, she might be easier to write into a sex scene.

<Te> Well, see, that makes sense.

<JCSun> K/Sc! Woohoo!

<MJ> I'm working on Scully narrating HER POV in a "Pencils"

<Viridian5> fanfic, publishing, or both?

<MJ> but it's NOT MSR

<JCSun> ...as it is now, it's sort of like having the Virgin Mary having an extramarital affair.

<Te> CiCi Lean & Anna

<JCSun> ...What other authors have incluenced me?

<Host1> Start with fanfic

<Viridian5> I've been writing for years before I found fanfic...

<Alicia> I feel like I'm besmirching her name by claiming it, but  torch. And CiCi and Kassandra.

<MJ> Me? JiM, Mona (yes really!), Grey ("The Boss)

<DMilan> Yeah, slightly distasteful to think of Scully that way. With a man, I mean.

<Viridian5> I like Guest15 and Anna and my beloved Te among others

<JCSun> Te, for one. Te, Cassandra, Vicki and Summer Mosely the collaborative team...

<JCSun> Cody Nelson. Big one--first slash story I ever read and enjoyed.

<Viridian5> Te has influenced my Alex

<Te> Oh, Scully would be far more palatable after letting some nice woman fuck her stupid.

<MJ> Agreed, DMilan.

<DMilan> Yup, what she said.

<MJ> JiM: Jane Mortimer, torch, Maria M.

<Viridian5> I like JiM too...

<DMilan> Yes! Cody is awesome.

<Te> Oh Lord... and my Mulder would've gotten *nowhere* sans Viridian

<Viridian5> CiCi writes some great stuff... in like 10 minutes

<Viridian5> (blush)

<MJ> JiM and me: the slashwriters who have shown us what NOT to write could fill a page, too.

<JCSun> Cody...Be-yoo-tiful.

<DMilan> I love the Alicia & Te coauthored stuff.

<Te> I love everyone... but influences... A lot of JC Sun....

<Drovar> Influences? torch's wonderful Lovers/Ghosts stories, Te for the wonderful, effortless style of her prose, JiM, just because her hoseboat stories are just too sweet and lovely.

<Viridian5> I love too many people!

<Viridian5> They're just not influences though

<DMilan> There's so much great slash out there, many talented people.

<Te> bwahahahaaa! Effortless?!

* MJ JiM blushes, waves to Drovar

* JCSun passionately loved JiM's houseboat serious, esp. the Ski/Krycek.

<Guest14> The Houseboat series rocked.

 

<Host3> New Question Alert:

<Host3> This question was posted by a new writer for his fella writers: "Do you prefer to work in and develop a consistant AU for your fiction? Or do you prefer to let each story stand on it's own?"

<Host1> Do you remember the first slash story you read?

<Te> Seriously, CiCi's "The Revelation" just snapped it all into place for me, in terms of fanfic.

<Drovar> Te not to write, sweety, but reading it is like 'astroglide' no effort at all.

<Viridian5> I have multiple AUs and standalones. Each has its appeal

* Te loves being compared to lube

<JCSun> CiCi's revelation...very good.

<DMilan> Yes -the first slash story I ever read was Lyrica's 'A Routine Interrogation'. Blew me away.

<JCSun> Routine and consistent AU?

<Viridian5> Not sure, fanfic-wise. Been finding novels with m/m for years

<Guest6> You mean, you feel it on your skin and can't seem to come clean of it?

<Te> The first slash I read was torch's "Too Dear For My Possessing" Stole my soul.

<MJ> Mine? Scullyslash

<MJ> Started out with the Scullyslash on GAEB and on QueerXF. "Walking the Line" one of the first.

<JCSun> ...any of my consistent AU springs more from a comes from a consistent veiw of the characters and their backstories rather than any specific plot.

<Viridian5> My furst slash fanfic was devouring MKRA's contents over 3 weeks

<Guest6> Snarks? Never. I love you much more than lube.

<Guest10> With whom did you pair Scully, MJ?

* Host2 has always thought of AUs as being not just author-created universes, but ones that are completely different from the show.

<Viridian5> They can be either

* Te purrs

<Viridian5> taking advantage of the gaps...

<MJ> Didn't write it myself, forget author -- great though, anopther strong female, a Naval JAG Corps officer

<Drovar> Vir5, mine too

<Te> An AU isn't an AU until it actually *conflicts* with canon

<Viridian5> Hunh, never saw it quite that way

<Host2> yeah, that's what I thought, Te!

<MJ> I started on MSSS rather than MKRA. Confession: the first Krycek slash I related to was Mona's

* Guest10 nods thanks to MJ and thinks he'll try to find it...

<Viridian5> but I freely admit I may be mistaken

<Guest6> You can write several universes which don't conflict with canon, but with each other.

<Te> Now *that's* surprising, MJ.

<Viridian5> I see "alternate" as being my many different storylines

<Host2> Yeah, Guest6.

<MJ> JiM: "Passing an Open Window" 1st XF slash read

<Viridian5> That's it, Guest6

<Te> So long as it couldve happened it's not AU...

<Host2> Viridian, that's like "author created universe", I believe.

<DMilan> I've always thought of AU as more a time issue than an event one.

<Viridian5> not big on the terminology. I'm just a hack writer, like Guest14

<Alicia> Hey, I have an AU question. Is it AU if you're writing something that's consistent with, say, season 4, and is set before season 5?

<JCSun> Hack? *HACK?*

<Viridian5> Hey, good question...

<Alicia> Purely hypothetical, of course. <g>

<Host2> Aliciam I don't think so. Not really an AU.

<Viridian5> Guest14 claims to be a hack

<Alicia> Hah. Would that I could be a "hack" like Guest14. Sheesh.

* Guest14 says in reasonable tone of voice, "But I am, I can write this stuff up in minutes, give me an idea and I run with it."

<JCSun> Claims is the operative word...

<Guest6> Does it make a difference if you wrote it before season 5 or after?

<Te> Not an AU so long as nothing happens that directly conflicts with what we know occurred in S. 5

<Te> I mean, look at all the "Sleepless" stories...

* JCSun feels the over-whelming urge to slap someone.

<Alicia> Well, but what if it does conflict with S5.

* Te beats down her Byerself with difficulty.

<Te> If it conflicts, it becomes AU

<Viridian5> I don't care! I just try to write pretty, pretty words...

 

Continue to Part 2 of the logs.