Hiatus Hiatus In the relentless heat of a Chicago summer. Two men, standing, face to face. The shock of realisation tingling, electric, between them. Each waiting, hoping the other will speak the words. Fearing, wanting, knowing the inescapable truth. The Undiscovered Country The tide of passion has brought them here and now, stranded, they hesitate. Each of them more naked than he has ever been. There are no maps or compasses to guide them through these uncharted realms. No promises of a safe journey. But then a touch, feather-light, an act of faith. And together they explore the undiscovered country. Afterward Afterward, lying in the narrow bed, limbs entangled, the breeze like warm silk on sweat slick skin, the words, set free at last, a whispered caress. Lying in his lovers arms, he discovers joy. Morning In the grey morning light, pacing, softly, not to disturb his lover's sleep. In borrowed clothes, pacing, shivering in the warm breeze. From the bed, a deep stillness. What will he feel, now that passion is spent? Regret, shame, disgust? And then a stirring in the narrow bed sends him to perch, birdlike, seeking crumbs of hope. Eyelids flutter, open. Transfixed by brilliant blue and a joyous smile, he tumbles into reaching arms.