Devotion Devotion by Cheryl Ross I have always liked the character of Elaine Besbriss. She reminds me of a Botticelli Virgin, beautiful and calm but somehow sad. I tried to capture Elaine's spiritual quality in this poem about her love for Benton. The title, Devotion is meant here in the religious sense as a prayer. Comments appreciated. cross@norlink.net DEVOTION He won't be mine I know that now I could wish away a thousand years I place a thousand salty tears before him on a platter made of my own heart and he would simply smile that gentle smile and turn away. He doesn't want my love my love so fierce and true that it could move the earth and cause the stars to fall My love is less than one tear in his indifferent ocean. He fills my eyes til I can't see another thing but glances over me like some pale shadow If only I could catch that glance and pull his blue eyes into mine I'd make him see what burns inside of me. There is no chance he will come and go and pull my poor heart upon the tide of his uncaring grace He will not know I live to see his face He will not hear my heart cry out as he moves by. He could save us both with one whispered word the slightest saintly touch but he will not He will drift past my life a solitary angel just beyond my tender reach I have opened up myself but he will not enter in so I will grieve forever what heaven might have been.