Snow Standard disclaimers, these characters aren't mine, I just borrowed them. I promise I put them back where I found them when I'm finished with them SNOW By: Alanna J. Patrick He flopped down on the bed exhausted. The day had been one of the worst since he had arrived in Chicago. Had it not been for Ray and his wise cracks this would have probably been the day he told the Inspector (or as Ray called her, 'the Dragon Lady') and the Lieutenant both where to go and how to get there. This wasn't like him, this wasn't how he was raised, he hated it when he felt like this. Rest, he thought, settling his head down onto the soft pillow. Soft, like the touch of new fallen snow on his cheek, soft, like her touch. She sat down on the bed beside him, gently caressing his cheek. He was so beautiful when he slept, resting like a child without a care in the world. Moving back the covers she began to unbutton his long johns, carefully running her hand across bare skin that peeped from the red material. He awoke with a start, almost falling off of the bed in the process. "Shhh. It's just me." she whispered, tracing his jaw line with her thumb. He relaxed back on the pillow, squeezing her hand, gently kissing her knuckles. "Why don't you come to me when I'm *awake*?" he whispered, not wanting to disturb the peaceful silence that fell on the cool dark room. "I like to watch you sleep." she smiled, leaning over to kiss his forehead. "By the way, why are you here?" he asked, pushing his upper body from the bed with his forearms. "You need me." she answered simply, resuming the task of freeing the buttons. Reaching the end of the row, she slid her hands under the soft material, gently tracing circles over his chest, working her way back up to his shoulders, separating the flannel from his smooth skin, her actions silently willing him to relax. He closed his eyes and breathed deep, trying to give himself over to her gentle exploration. Oh God! how he had missed her, especially since he had been transferred to this place, where the air still singed his lungs if he took too deep a breath. How right she was, he *needed* her, needed her to tell him he was safe and everything was going to be all right. He felt her weight settle in his lap and opened his eyes to find her beautiful face just inches away from his, her warm breath feeling like a soft kiss against his lips, her fingertips tracing the edge of his jaw to graze the tender spots behind his ears. Pulling her close to his chest, he caught her lips with his, kissing her the way he'd dreamed of doing every night since.... A siren on the street below startled him out of his deep slumber. Sitting up, he felt a cool breeze slide across his chest and looked down to discover that his long johns were completely unbuttoned. Scratching his head in minor confusion, he began to undo the mischief he'd done himself during the night when he happened to glance at his watch. The realization hit him so hard he gasped for breath, clutching the button so hard it popped free from the flannel. Today was the 24th, four years ago today since the accident, four years since he last felt the tender caress of snow on his cheek. He looked up out the window and watched as the first soft shades of daybreak crept up from the skyline, and wept. END?