New Year's Eve Disclaimer: Alliance's toys, not mine. Notes: This story was written in response to Corrinne's request for holiday stories on the Serge Mailing list. It's my first slash story, first due South story, and first RayK/Fraser story, so be gentle on me. Comments will be worshipped. My e-mail address is bluecast@yahoo.com New Year's Eve by Tara Blue "So, Ben," Ray Kowalski sidled up to his lover from behind as he stood in the window of Ray's apartment, looking out over the city. Wrapping his arms around the other man's waist, Ray propped his chin on Benton's shoulder and began to nuzzle at the ear so temptingly close to his mouth. "It's New Year's Eve. If you believe the wackos out there, the world's gonna end tomorrow. I've got a coupla ideas on what we can do tonight . . ." Turning his head to look at Ray out of the corner of his eye, Ben arched an eyebrow. "Really, Ray. I would never have guessed that you would put any stock into theories of the world's end occurring with the new millennium. Besides, if apocalypse were truly waiting on the other side of the millennium, then we would still have a full year left. The next millennium doesn't start until the year 2001." He paused to suck in a quiet breath as Ray moved to nibble a line down his neck, then continued. "Beyond that, history aptly demonstrates that such theories are unfounded. The dawning of the first millennium CE, that's "common era", otherwise known as AD, was also surrounded by apocalyptic hype, very similar to the hype surrounding this one, and in the end there was clearly no basis. We are all still here, are we not? Further . . ." Ray began sucking on the sensitive nape of his neck, and Fraser had to take a moment to organise his suddenly scattered thoughts. Clearing his throat, he continued on. "Further more, the millennium has no actual significance to cultures that are not dominantly Christian, as the division between BCE - that's "before common era", formerly known as simply BC - is based on Christ's life. To non-Christian societies this bench mark is immaterial, and so are the number of years that have passed since it occurred." Ray moved around to the front of Ben, and began licking and kissing his way over the still talking man's collarbone, exposed by a wide-necked, casual pullover. Fraser blinked, and renewed the struggle to hold onto his thoughts. "Now, the Mayans had a very interesting approach to the end of the world. The Mayans are renown for their complex mathematical systems and incredible astrological predictions. You see, without the aid of computers, they recorded . . . mmh . . . astrological events that had taken place billions of years before their time, and predicted happenings in the cosmos for thousands of years beyond the eventual collapse of their civilisation - well, it wasn't really a collapse so much as a . . . mmph . . . ahhhh . . ." Ray had pushed the hem of Fraser's shirt up and over, leaving the man shirtless, then dove right for the nipples, which he was moving back and forth between, alternately sucking and kissing. All thought left Ben's head for a moment as he savoured the sensation. "Ahh . . . Where was I? Oh, yes. The . . . um . . . Mayan's predictions were incredibly accurate . . . ohhh . . . even to the point that they are off by only seconds or minutes today. Well, anyway, the Mayans had a very specific day on their calendar on which they believed the world began, and an equally precise date upon which they believed the world was going to end . . . oohhh . . ." Ray kissed his way down the center of Ben's chest, dropping to his knees as bending over had become uncomfortable, and was now pressing flirting kisses along the skin above the waistband of the crisp jeans that were just barely clinging to Ben's hipbones. " . . . and . . . mmm . . . they had a very specific date upon which the . . . uhhh . . . oh . . . the, uh . . . World! Yes, a very specific date upon which the world was going to . . . ummm . . . end. According to the . . . ohhh, yes . . . according to the Mayan calendar, the world was . . . mmmm . . ." Ray smiled against the quivering flesh of Ben's belly as the voice emerging from somewhere above the kneeling man's head trailed off into a rumbling moan of appreciation. He loved driving the articulate Mountie beyond words. He knew he was the only one that had that effect on Fraser. " . . . Mayan calendar placed the end of the world . . . . . . end of the world at 4 aho . . . 3 kinkin . . . making the date, by our . . . oohhhhh . . . by our calendar . . . to be . . . . be . . . mmmmm . . ." Still smiling the cat-in-the-creampot smile, Ray looked up and met the dazed blue eyes looking down at him. "Ben?" "Y-yes?" His voice faltered as Ray began to slowly undo the button fly of his jeans. "Shuddup." "Understood . . . oohhhhhhhh . . ." The End. For anyone who's interested, the Mayans did have a set date on their calendar for both the creation and destruction of the world. What Fraser was trying to get out at the end there was that 4 aho, 3 kinkin (not sure of the spelling on those, got this tidbit out of a history lecture) on our calendar is December 23, 2012.