Sort of a postscript to COTW, an attempt at understanding how these Sort of a postscript to COTW, an attempt at understanding how these heretofore semi-sane people could possibly have ended it the way they did, when Benny and Ray so obviously love each other. Let me know if this makes sense. (shameless begging for feedback) Disclaimer: I don't own them, I'm not making money off them, please don't sue me. And the Farley Mowat quote belongs to Farley Mowat. LETTER TO RAY   Det Raymond Vecchio c/o Precinct 27, Chicago Police Department Chicago, IL, 60607 USA Please Forward Dear Ray, It is unknown when we will next encounter a post office, so I am leaving this letter with Sgt. Frobisher to send to you. I feel I must apologise for the way I left things between us. I owe you an explanation as to why I left. You and I were-- are-- closer than I have ever been to anyone. I would like to quote to you a passage from one of our Canadian authors. I can hear your voice objecting even now: "Hey, Fraser, you got to have a story for everything?" but you aren't here to cut me off, so I am going to write it anyway. I'm standing up for myself, as you so often insisted that I should. "There was no other wanderer on that road, yet I was not alone, for his tracks went with me, [...] as familiar as the print of my own hand. I followed them, and I knew each thing that he had done, each move that he had made, each thought that had been his; for so it is with two who live one life together." -- Farley Mowat That is how I feel about you, Ray. We know each other so completely. In police work, that kind of bond was a great help in solving cases. The force was directed outward, so to speak. But now? You have been honorably discharged from the force, and as your unofficial partner, so have I. If we were to remain together now, without that outlet, our bond would be... We have, as you might say, chemistry. If the energy generated in a chemical reaction has a place to go, you have a power plant. If you try to keep it bottled up, it explodes and that's something else entirely and there you are. I will always be with you, Ray. Just as you will always be with me, no matter how many miles are between us, whether either of us wants it that way or not. It is like I told Ray-- Stan, I mean-- soon after you returned to Chicago. No matter how far apart we are, we always know that we are partners. It is different with him. We are friends, and right now he needs me. We enjoy each other's company, but when this trip is over we will go our separate ways, perhaps to keep in touch, perhaps not. He and I are not, and could never be, what you and I were. What we are. I carry you inside me, Ray. And that is why I had to leave. I hope you understand. -Sincerely- -Yours-Truly- Love, -Benton-Fraser,-RCMP- Benny ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ email me at circuli2@hotmail.com Please!! I love comments! Even otters!