Title: Two of Three Author: Elz Notes: Thanks go out to Mia and Steph for Beta. This is deathfic written by a non deathfic liker...so please if you don't like death give it a go. This fic was once known as 'The Cabin' Special thanks to LadyAna for giving me the title Rating: R Warning: Death of major characters but it is hopeful and I've been told sweet. Pairings: RK/RV (suggested RK/F and RV/F) Feedback: Gratefully recieved at helen.walker22@virgin.net I'm going to die today. I know I'm going to die because I'm making it happen. But, you know, this isn't suicide; this is my time. I'm 93 years old and I miss my friends and I think...I think they miss me too. And I know that he's close. Closer than he's been since I left him for the dirt of Chicago. Closer than he's been since Welsh called me to say the Mounties'd found him with a single bullet in the back of his head. Closer than he's been since me, Vecchio and the rest of Chicago went up to the ice to put him in it. Closer than he's been since me and Vecchio... We were mad that he was dead and we were biting and hitting and bleeding and bruising. And I was mad as hell that he wasn't Frase and he was mad as hell that I wasn't Benny and it felt great. It was greatness, all the pain; everything was physical again and... I saw a flash of red out the corner of my eye and Vecchio, he must've seen it too because we stopped. We both looked over to the side of the room and we stopped and then we stared at each other. He gave me a sweet, gentle kiss and left my hotel room and I went to bed. And in the morning, on the flight back to Chicago, we swapped Inuit stories and listening to him talk it was like I closed my eyes and it was Frase. And I was telling him to shut up again and Vecchio, he just said "Understood, Ray." Vecchio died four months ago, and I hope that Fraser found him. And in the past four months, I think I've seen Frase more and more. Just little glimpses, whenever I felt lonely. And for the past few nights I've had this dream. There's a cabin, surrounded by snow. The cabin has one window and in it there are three candles. Two of the candles are inside the glass and the third is just outside. And in the dream I walk towards the cabin. And I know I should sink right into that snow and I know that the walk to the cabin should take me a while but in the dream it's like walking on a Chicago sidewalk and surrounded by snow, I feel warm. And I know this gun in my hand will take me there.