Betrayal in Three Parts This was originally written as three separate snippets in response to the "Hey Ray, you suck!" challenge on Bindlestitch. I've never written Vecchio before, so I apologize if the voice doesn't ring true. However, he is under duress, so that could explain it. Disclaimer: You know, it's kind of like borrowing a friend's dolls. You get to play with them for a while, but then you have to give them back. Note: Very, very dark...in a fun kind of way. Enjoy! Betrayal in Three Parts By JenAsayKwa -Wherever- He hates me. He told me that soon after I found myself here. Wherever here is. My assignment was over. I was finally on my way back to Chicago. Somewhere along the way, I passed out. I must have been drugged. When I woke up, I was here. Wherever here is. He has me tied to a bed. Spread-eagle, I think they call it. He took my clothes. I spent $700 on that suit. He burned it in front of me, laughing the whole time. He said he didn't want me coming back and taking his partner away from him. Says he knows we were lovers. Don't know how he found that out. Doesn't matter. He knows now. I don't know how long I've been here. Long enough to feel like I'm dying of thirst. Long enough to have wet myself. Not long enough to have soiled myself. Yet. Every so often he comes in here and hits me with his belt. I'm a bloody mess. Ha! Sounds kind of British. Bloody. I almost don't mind the pain so much. I've been through a lot since I've been away. The thing is, I don't think I'm leaving this room alive. He's gone too far over the edge to let me leave. Imagine. I spent over a year undercover with the mob. I survived. And now…I'm going to die in some dingy old room because of the jealousy of my ex-lover's lover. The last time he came in here, he held a knife to my throat. I fought him. As much as could, tied like I am. I don't have much time anyway, so what does it matter? I ripped his clothes a bit. Little justice for my suit. When he comes back next time, I don't think he'll let me fight. As I fondle the piece of red serge in my hand, I think about Ray, my love. Wherever he is. -Pretty- When he comes back next time, I don't think he'll let me fight. As I fondle the piece of red serge in my hand, I think about Ray, my love. Wherever he is. I think about when we first met. Only a few months before I went undercover. Not nearly enough time. We met in a bar of all places. Imagine, two closeted gay cops having the balls to approach each other in a bar. I couldn't help it though, he was so pretty. Of all the words I can use to describe him, I like that one best. Pretty. I called him that, that night we met. He tried to look irritated, but I could tell he liked it. When I told him again, the next morning, he smiled and looked at me through his half-closed eyes. I fell in love with him right then. I never told Benny. He didn't know I swung that way. I didn't know he did either. I guess there's a lot of things I didn't know about Benny. Or maybe I knew, but I didn't want to believe. Like when he told me he was going to go with that Bitch. I told him I knew that, but I didn't really believe it. It was nothing but dumb luck that they picked Ray to be my cover. The only good thing about leaving was that I was able to tell him goodbye. He already knew, so it was safe. I couldn't even tell Benny goodbye. If he'd been in town I could have chanced it. But not over the phone. I wanted to tell him to take care of my Ray for me. Looks like he figured that one out on his own. I think I hear him coming. I could be hearing things though. I'm so tired. I just hope it's quick. The door opens. It's him! "Ray!" I'm so dry I can barely hear my own voice, but he hears me. I never once dreamed he'd find me. My pretty Ray. "Ray," he says, like an echo. I can't read his face. There's something there I've never seen before. I try to figure it out, but then I see Benny behind him. I open my mouth to warn him, but no sound comes out this time. He must see the look in my eyes because he turns. Benny doesn't stop, he keeps coming at me with the knife. Ray holds out his right hand to him. "No Frase. Give me the knife." Benny looks at him, and hands him the knife without a word. Ray turns back to me and smiles. He lifts his left hand and places it over my eyes. "Sorry, Ray. But this ain't gonna be pretty." I inhale sharply as the cold steel touches my throat. -Home- Ray turns back to me and smiles. He lifts his left hand and places it over my eyes. "Sorry, Ray. But this ain't gonna be pretty." I inhale sharply as the cold steel touches my throat. He holds it there for an instant. Then it's gone, and so is the hand over my eyes. I open them just in time to see him thrust the knife between Benny's ribs. He stands over the body for just a moment before reaching down to pull the knife out. He leans over me and shows me that winning smile again. "Come on, lover. Let's go home." He cuts the bindings off my wrists and ankles. I start to bleed again as the ropes pull away from my scabbed skin. I don't care. I just want out of here. I'm too weak to move much. Ray takes off his coat and covers me with it. He picks me up and carries me out of the room. I didn't know he was so strong. Even in this condition I still must be pretty heavy. We go up stairs and more stairs. When we hit daylight I look around to see where I've been. Hell, I was just in a sub-basement of some old abandoned house in the middle of town. I could have been hundreds of miles away for all I knew. Ray lays me down in the backseat of his car, then gets in and starts driving. After a couple of minutes, I realize we're heading toward his place. I should probably go to the hospital, but I'm in no position to argue. I'm sure Ray will take care of me. It takes some huffing and puffing, but Ray finally gets me up all the stairs and into his apartment. He lays me on the couch. "Hang on just a bit more, buddy. We're safe. We're home." I try to smile at him, but he's gone. I try to call out, but before I open my mouth he's back. He holds a glass of water to my lips. I try to take a sip. I start to choke and get water all down my front. Ray waits until I stop coughing and lets me try again. I get just a sip down before he takes it away. I know I'll get sick if I drink too fast, but damn that water tastes good. I close my eyes and lie back. I can hear Ray moving around the apartment. He's moving so fast. I'm so tired I can't imagine ever moving that fast again. Ray picks me up again at takes me into the bedroom. He lays me down on some towels he has spread over the bed. He lifts my head to give me another sip of water. I feel something wet on my chest. Ray's washing me with a cloth and a basin of warm water. I look down at myself, then look away quickly. I forgot about all the blood. Ray's being so gentle, but it still hurts. He has to change the water several times before he's finished. He dries me off and rolls me over to get the towels out from under me. He lets me have another sip of water. He undresses, gets under the covers, and pulls me close. I feel so safe in his arms. I finally have enough moisture in my mouth and throat to speak. "Love you," I rasp out. "I love you, Ray," he says, then presses his lips to my throat. The same spot where he held the knife earlier. All this, I see in the blink of an eye, before I feel the knife slide home.