Pride Pride by silvina Author's website: http://www.learnlink.emory.edu/~sdelcul/index2.html Disclaimer: Standard Disclaimer. All kinds of things go before the fall. Please send comments, questions, compliments, and otters to sdelcul@yahoo.com. Author's Notes: Story Notes: I see the light, oh what a light And I am sober All that you served to me No longer will I drink it in I took the time to think it over I see the you that I never knew Now it's finally sinking in I am sober Jennifer Paige "Sober" He woke up early, feeling warm and comfortable until he moved. Then he remembered. Frank Zuko Sr. had not been happy with his only son the day before. It could have been worse, much worse, but he had been distracted by his other duties. Instead of the almost constant barrage of harsh words, he had escaped with a few bruises and a swollen lip. Touching his lip to check the swelling, he moaned in pain. His suffering was rewarded when the body next to him opened its eyes. "You okay?" Ray whispered. "It isn't that bad. It almost doesn't hurt anymore." "I'm sorry, Frankie." It always made him feel better when Ray was there. He was his closest friend, maybe his only true friend. Everyone else was bought and paid for; he wasn't stupid, no matter what his father might say. "I don't wanna talk about it. It was my own fault." Ray didn't reply, he knew the feeling. It was one thing to look at it happening to someone else and blame the adult, but when it happened to you it had to be your own fault. "It'll be okay." He kissed Frankie lightly on the lips. Nothing romantic, just a friendly brush. Frankie got up, smiling at him. "Let's go." When Ray got up on his side, he licked his lips quickly. He watched with a frown as Ray smiled again. And again. And then he laughed. He was supposed to make Ray laugh and smile. Not Irene. Irene was his baby sister, she wasn't supposed to do that. Obviously he was going to have to do something to impress Ray. Impress him so much that Ray wouldn't be able to look away from him to look at Irene. "Come on, Ray. We're picking teams! You're with me." "I'm coming. Come on, Marco. You can be on our team." End Pride by silvina: sdelcul@yahoo.com Author and story notes above.