A Huntress The Due South Fiction Archive Entry Home Quicksearch Search Engine Random Story Upload Story   A Huntress by verushka Disclaimer: don't own them, not profiting, etc. Author's Notes: akamine_chan graciously beta-ed. Original date of publishing on LJ: 6-9-2009 Story Notes: Diefenbaker's attractions to polar opposite females. She was so well-groomed, so prim... yet flirtatious. Her scent was exotic, unnatural. A ribbon in her hair... Beside her, he was rough, uncouth, wild. But he knew he could protect her. He could hunt for her. He could provide. She was utterly wrong for him. But he couldn't resist her hairless areas, her baffling hygiene. She was sleek. Soft. He lay beside her and guarded her. But one night, restlessly prowling, he caught a new scent on the breeze. The hair on the back of his neck stood up. At the mouth of an alley, he picked up the trail again and followed it carefully, wary of broken glass. She huddled close to the ground. He thought that she might be hurt. But as he drew quietly nearer, he realized she was stalking something. Only in this city would rabbits eat garbage. She crept along silently on her belly, intent. Her leap and pounce were graceful; she fell on the rabbit with her paws, then snatched him up in her jaws. He accidentally stepped on a plastic spoon, which snapped. She wheeled and growled, crunching down the rabbit in a few hungry gulps. She was lean. Wild. A huntress. You are not wolf, Diefenbaker said, enchanted. You are? she countered. I am half wolf, he told her proudly. I am all coyote, she replied regally. I know where there are donuts, he said. Her exquisitely mussed fur ruffled in the night breeze. What are donuts? They are much easier to catch than rabbits, Diefenbaker told her.   End A Huntress by verushka Author and story notes above. Please post a comment on this story.