Author's Note: Takes place a few days after 'TIWHWDSLGTAWSASRKD'; no sex whatsoever is involved.

Only In My Dreams

by Jackie

pixie7@gte.net

"Benny, I can't believe you're going to do this."

"Why not, Ray? You're the one who's always saying that I should meet more women, go out on dates and such."

"Yeah, but not with her!"

"Why not?"

"For three reasons: she's half your age, she's your partner, and - most importantly - she's Stanley's daughter."

Even though Ray couldn't see it in the darkness of the storage closet, Fraser frowned. "Ray, I thought you were my friend. I'd thought you'd be happy for me."

"Fraser, if this was any other girl I'd say go for it, but this is Lynda we're talking about. Why do you want to ask her out anyway? Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"No, Ray. I really like Lynda. A lot."

"Why?"

"She's a joy to be around. She's smart, articulate, and very mature for her age. She's very beautiful, and she doesn't expect me to be someone I'm not. She's also the only woman I know that doesn't think I'm quirky or who lusts after me."

Ray was shocked. "You actually notice it when women do that?"

"Ray, I may be Canadian, but I'm not naive. I do notice things . . . and Lynda happens to be one of those things."

"Okay, I can understand your reasoning, okay? But why now? Why are you thinking about this now?"

"Well, at the time I first became attracted to her, it was the night before her mother died. Then, there was the problem with Logan."

"Logan?"

"A possessive suitor who tried to kill Lynda shortly after she began working as a Civilian Aid. Then, she left for a month to work on getting you extracted from the Mob. I thought I'd have the chance to tell her after she got back, but she developed amnesia, then she and Derek began going out, *then* she broke up with Derek. I didn't want to take advantage of her emotional vulnerability."

"So, what finally decided you to bring this up now?"

"When Stanley mentioned that he dreamt of us going out in his dream."

"Fraser, that was three days ago. Besides, you heard what Lynda said. She doesn't like you that way."

"Of course she'd say that with her father there, Ray." Fraser sighed. "Look, I know you have objections about this, but I'm still going to ask her out."

Ray took in a deep breath. "Fine. I can't stop you, but here's a little piece of advice: don't be surprised if she says no."

"And if she doesn't?"

"Then have fun on your date, I guess. Just remember this: with Stanley out visiting his parents for the rest of the week, I'm the one who's looking out for Lynda's well-being. I may be your best friend, but if you try anything with her, I'll shoot you myself."

"What do you mean by 'anything'?" It suddenly clicked in his mind. "Oh. Ray, I can assure you I would never take advantage of Lynda in any way."

Ray poked a finger into Fraser's brown uniform. "Better not." He opened the door to the closet and quickly walked away. Fraser stood there for a few moments before walking into the bullpen. He looked around, then saw Lynda at her desk, typing up a report. He stood in the doorframe and just watched her.

Her blond hair was swept to one side with a gold comb, except for one strand that fell loosely in front of her eyes. Her delicate fingers quickly brushed the strand back into place with a swift motion. Her blue eyes, which shone like sapphires and sparkled with energy, darted back and forth between the screen and the keyboard. Her outfit - the brown Armani suit that Ray had gotten her for Christmas - made her look at least ten years older. Fraser took in a deep breath before walking over to her desk.

"Lynda?"

Lynda looked up from her computer and smiled, making the Mountie's hear skip a beat. "Good morning, Fraser. How are you today?"

"Never better," Fraser smiled back. "May I have a word with you?"

"Sure." She focused her attention to Fraser. "What's on your mind?"

Fraser looked around. Too many people around to ask. "Could we go somewhere a little more private?"

Lynda knitted her eyebrows. "Sure, I guess." She got up from her desk and followed Fraser out of the Squad Room.

Fraser stopped in front of the closet and held the door open for her. "Ladies first."

"Thank you." Lynda stepped in, then Fraser followed suit. Soon, they were in complete darkness. "So, what do you want to talk about now?"

"Well, Lynda, I have a question to ask you, and I'm not sure how to ask it."

"Just spit it out."

Fraser sighed. "Okay. Lynda, do you think we could - I mean, do you mind if I asked you - would it be possible . . . Lynda, do you think it would be rude of me to ask you join me for dinner tonight?" There was silence. "Lynda?"

"Are you joking, Fraser?"

Fraser sighed disappointedly. "Ray was right," he said softly. "You don't like me that way, do you?" He turned the doorknob, but Lynda stopped him.

"Fraser, wait. I'd . . . I'd love to."

Fraser turned around and faced her, even though he couldn't see her. "Really?"

"Yeah," Lynda answered.

Fraser smiled. "Okay, I'll pick you up at your place then at about seven. I'll let you know about the dinner arrangements later on."

"That's fine. Well, I'd better get back to my report. Welsh wanted it pronto."

Fraser opened the closet door, letting Lynda out first. He watched her as she went back into the Squad Room. He sighed dreamily, then quickly made his way down the hall, trying to find Ray. He spotted him talking to another Detective. He bounded over to his friend and grabbed him by the arm, causing Ray to jump.

"Fraser, don't do that!" Ray frowned as he jerked his hand free. "Geez, you scared me to death."

"I apologize, Ray, but it's urgent." He turned to the other Detective. "Could you please excuse us?" The other Detective smiled and left the two alone. "Ray, I need to know where a good restaurant would be."

"Why?"

"She said yes."

Ray's eyes bulged out. "Lynda? She said yes?" Fraser nodded. "Wow."

"So, will you help me?"

"Sure, I guess." The two walked back to Ray's desk, where Ray pulled out his phone book and began flipping through the pages. He quickly glanced up and watched Lynda finish up her report. "So, how are you going to tell Stanley?"

"I haven't thought that far in advance, Ray. I haven't even taken her out, yet."

"Well, you'd better have something good by the time he gets back. He's not going to be happy when he finds out you're dating his daughter." He stopped flipping as he saw a perfect restaurant. "Okay, here's a little bistro on West Wacker. It's the best place for a first date." He shook his head, slightly amused. "This is definitely going to take some getting used to."

"Well, Ray, just put it this way: if Lynda was to only date one man, wouldn't you want it to be me? You know I would never hurt her."

Ray patted his friend on the back. "I know that, Fraser, but trying to convince her father that is a totally different matter."

"I'll think of something, Ray."

"Just remember what I said: you try anything, and I will shoot you. Got it?"

Fraser picked up Ray's phone and began dialing the number to the bistro. "Why are you so protective all of a sudden?"

"Someone needs to be since Stanley's visiting his parents, and all things considered, I think it should be me." He tossed his Nerf ball into the toy hoop nearby.

Fraser smiled. "Understood." He focused his attention to the phone. "Yes, my name is Constable Benton Fraser. I'd like to make a reservation for two tonight at seven-thirty . . . thank you kindly." He hung up, then smiled as he walked over to Lynda's desk.

Ray watched as they talked. He couldn't understand what they were saying, but he knew what it was about. He smiled, then shook his head. Lynda and Benny? Definitely could be interesting.

* * * *


Fraser stood in front of Lynda's apartment door. He was dressed in his red uniform, his black hair neatly styled. In his left hand was a plastic box containing a white wrist corsage. He tugged at his lanyard before knocking twice on her door. Less than a minute later, the door opened. Fraser couldn't believe it was Lynda standing there.

She was dressed in a long, black dress that had a slit on the side clean up to her hip. Her hair fell in a cascade of soft waves around her shoulders. Her jewelry was simple: gold hearts dangled from her ears, a matching necklace around her neck, and an ankle bracelet on her right ankle. She was wearing light makeup, and Fraser could detect a sweet smelling perfume.

"Hi," she smiled. "Come on in."

"Thank you," he returned the smile as he walked into her living room. Lynda shut the door behind him, then excused herself back into her bedroom. A small whine caused Fraser to turn around. Laying underneath the coffee table were both wolves, watching him closely. "What?" Dief woofed. "Look, I don't need a lecture from both of you, okay? I'll have her home before midnight, okay?"

"That's fine by me," Lynda answered as she came back into the living room. She had grabbed a shawl and her handbag. "Ready?"

Fraser nodded, then remembered the corsage and handed it to her. "I got this for you."

"A wrist corsage? What's the occasion?"

"I'm going out with a lovely young woman," Fraser answered before taking the corsage out of the box and gently slipping it on her right wrist. He held his arm out, which Lynda took. Together, the two walked out of the apartment.

* * * *


Fraser and Lynda went to the bistro where Fraser had earlier that day made reservations. Unfortunately, there was a mix-up in the reservation schedule. The two went away, slightly disappointed.

"So, now what?" Lynda asked as they walked arm and arm down the sidewalk.

"The night's young," Fraser answered. "There's so much we can do, so many places we can go."

They ended up taking a cab to the other side of Lake Shore, and walking along the edge of the lake, the only two people there. The night was cold, and a gentle breeze blew through the city. Lynda pulled her shawl closer around her shoulders, and shivered slightly.

"You okay?" Fraser asked. "You look cold."

"Yeah," Lynda answered. "It's not that cold."

"It's thirty-eight degrees Fahrenheit. Twenty-nine if you factor in the wind chill."

"Fraser, considering how we spent two weeks in the Yukon, in August, this is not cold."

"Nevertheless, I think we should get you back to your apartment."

"Can we at least walk there? It's not that far." Fraser agreed, and they started on their way. "Fraser?"

"Yes, Lynda?"

"Can I ask you something?"

Fraser smiled. "Only if you start calling Ben."

"Okay, Ben," Lynda smiled. "Can I be so bold as to ask when you first were attracted to me?"

"The first day we met," Fraser answered. "Remember when you flipped me?"

"That's when you started liking me?"

"Yeah," Fraser answered. "I guess you could say I fell head over heels over you the first day we met." Lynda chuckled. "How about you?"

Lynda thought for a moment. "I guess it was when gave me those flowers after I recovered from my amnesia. No one had ever given me flowers before."

"So, why did you take so long to tell me?"

"The main reason, I guess, was Dad."

"So, when you said you had no interest in me beyond that of a close friend -"

"I was only saying that because Dad was there." She chuckled nervously. "He won't be too thrilled to find out we're dating, especially behind his back."

"Lynda, you're a responsible adult who's able to make your own decisions."

"I know, Ben, but I hate deceiving him."

"Then, we'll tell him as soon as he gets back, okay?"

"Okay."

Fraser and Lynda walked back to Lynda's apartment and rode the elevator up to her floor. Being the gentleman he was, Fraser walked her to her front door. He waited as Lynda fumbled for her keys, then finally unlocked her door. Lynda turned around, smiling.

"I had a lovely time tonight, despite the fact we just walked around."

"Maybe next time we can actually have a dinner to go with the dinner date," Fraser joked.

Lynda laughed softly, then leaned up and kissed the Mountie on the cheek. Fraser was a little

disappointed. That was the type of kiss she had always given him . . . and Ray and her father. Going against all appropriate manners, he gently pulled Lynda closer, then kissed her on

the lips. Lynda was startled for a moment, but made no move to break away. So this is what Derek was lucky enough to experience, Fraser thought to himself. He was stupid for lying to her the way he did, for bringing such misery upon her. Now, it's time to fix that problem, just like the Mountie normally would.

He slowly pulled away, staring deep into Lynda's eyes. Her face was expressionless. Fraser suddenly felt slightly ashamed. Maybe she wasn't ready for that. But when her expression softened into a smile, he knew it was alright.

"Uh . . . wow," Lynda said, with raised eyebrow. She exhaled, then took a deep breath.

"I'll see you at work tomorrow, okay?" Fraser replied. He kissed her one more time, more affectionately than passionately. He waited until she was safe and secure inside her apartment before walking back to the elevators. He was smiling, his boots feeling as though they never touched the floor at all.

* * * *


The next morning, Fraser walked into the Squad Room wearing his brown uniform on his body and a smile on his face. He glanced over at Lynda's desk. Empty, except for the two wolves lounging around her desk. Ray desk was also empty. Fraser stopped Francesca as she walked passed him with a bunch of folders. "Francesca, have you seen Lynda or Ray?"

"Yeah, they're in with Welsh," Francesca answered. "And Welsh said 'if Constable Fraser comes in within the next ten minutes, send him in'. So, I'd guess you'd better see Welsh."

"Thank you kindly," Fraser nodded before walking over to Welsh's office and knocking on the closed door.

"Come in," Welsh said loudly. Fraser opened the door, walked in and shut it behind him. "Ah, Constable, glad you could make it. It seems your assistance is needed on this particular case. It involves a Canadian serial killer."

"I'll help in any way I can, Leftenant," Fraser answered as he nodded to Ray - dressed in a gray Armani outfit - and smiled briefly at Lynda - who was dressed in jeans, T-shirt, leather jacket, and running shoes. Her hair was pulled back with a white headband. She briefly returned the smile. Welsh didn't seem to notice, but Ray certainly did.

"Good," Welsh said before handing the case file over to Lynda. "We got an eyewitness in Interrogation Room 2, and the latest victim with Mort. Get to work." The three nodded before leaving the office.

"I'll go do the body," Lynda said as she began reading the file. 'Fraser, you want to join me?"

"Actually, I'd prefer to have Benny with me," Ray said as he steered the Mountie out of the Squad Room and to Interrogation Room 2. He stopped his friend outside the door. "Okay, so how was it? I saw that smile you and Lynda shared. Better not have done anything, Fraser."

"Nothing happened, Ray," Fraser said, almost frustrated. "Well, nothing that warrants concern."

"So, it went good?"

"Well, we didn't have dinner, because the bistro got the reservations screwed up, so we went walking. I took Lynda back to her apartment at nine-thirty, kissed her, then left after making sure she was safely inside."

"You kissed her?!" Ray hissed in disbelief. "What kind of kiss? Kiss on the cheek, kiss on the lips, or the let's-play-tonsil-hockey kiss?" Fraser didn't say a word, but he blushed deep red. Ray's green eyes widened. "No, that's impossible! You . . . and Lynda? Tongue wrestling?"

"Yes, Ray."

Ray had to lean up against the wall for support. "Man, now I've heard everything." He sighed, regaining his composure. "My best friend is going out with my partner, who also happens to be the daughter of my other partner." He shook his head. "That's insane."

"Why so?" Ray and Fraser turned around to see Lynda standing, arms folded, behind them. "Why is it insane, Ray?"

"I didn't mean insane, Lynda," Ray said. "It's just . . . weird, that's all."

"Why? Because of our age differences? Because we work together?"

"Well . . . yeah," Ray answered slowly.

"Are you going to tell Dad?" Lynda asked cautiously.

"No, I think I'll leave that one up to you two," Ray answered. He looked at Fraser, then Lynda, then shook his head. "If he doesn't kill you both, this is definitely going to take some getting used to."

Lynda smiled. "I'd better get down to the body." She waved to Fraser. "See you later, Ben."

Fraser smiled as she walked off, then turned to his best friend. Ray's mouth was hanging open. "What?"

"'Ben'?"

"Yes, Ray. Fraser seemed just too formal."

Ray didn't say anything as the two walked into Interrogation Room 2. They talked for several minutes with the eyewitness, then left the room. They met up with Lynda as she came out of the morgue with a full report. They went back to Lynda's desk and began discussing it. They had just finished up comparing evidence when -

"Hiya!" The group looked up to see Stanley walked up to the desk, dressed in jeans, T-shirt, and his brown leather jacket. His carry-on was over his right shoulder. He grinned as he hugged his daughter tightly. "Hey, Lynda."

"Dad," Lynda answered, clearly surprised. "Uh, what are you doing back so soon? I . . . thought you were staying with Grandma and Grandpa for the rest of the week."

"Yeah, well, it was getting boring in the trailer park," Stanley answered. He smiled at Fraser and Ray. "Hey, guys. How's it hangin'?"

"Well, there's a case we're working on," Ray said. "And I think Lynda and Fraser have something to tell you."

"Yeah?" Stanley looked at the Mountie and his daughter. "What's up?" Lynda and Fraser looked quickly at each other, not sure of what to say. Finally, Lynda grabbed her father's arm and led him to the lunchroom.

"Don't you think you ought to be trying to find a place to hide?" Ray asked his friend as they stood and waited.

"Ray, I'm sure once Lynda explains the situation to her father, Stanley will understand that Lynda is old enough to date whomever she wants."

"Yeah right," Ray rolled his eyes. He saw Stanley and Lynda walk calmly out of the lunchroom. Ray patted Fraser on the shoulder. "Well, nice knowing you."

Stanley walked up to Fraser, with no expression on his face. Lynda was next to him. "Fraser," he said in a hushed tone, "Lynda just told me that you took her out last night. True or false?"

"True," Fraser answered.

"Okay," Stanley nodded. "And she also told me you kissed her. True or false?"

"True," Fraser replied.

Stanley took a deep breath. "Okay, then that's make this justifiable." He balled up his fist and punched Fraser in the face, sending the Mountie tumbling backwards to the floor. The entire Squad Room stopped their activities and stood, stunned with silence. Before anyone could react, Stanley swiftly delivered the same fate to Ray, sending the other Detective falling next to Fraser.

"Dad!" Lynda shouted as she rushed over to help Fraser and Ray to their feet. "What was that for?"

"You know very well what that was for, Lynda!" Stanley shouted angrily.

"But why me?" Ray asked angrily as he held a hand over his eye.

"You knew about it," Stanley answered. "That makes you just as guilty."

"What the hell is going on out here?" Welsh bellowed as he walked out of his office. He saw Ray clutching his eye, Fraser holding his bleeding nose, and Stanley glaring angrily at them. "Kowalski, what's the matter with you."

"I'm not here for more that ten minutes, and I just find out Fraser's dating my daughter."

The entire room erupted with gasps, everyone looking back at the Mountie and Lynda, who were both bright red and clearly embarrassed by everyone knowing suddenly. But no one had time to say anything else.

Stanley took his gun out from under his jacket, then aimed it at Fraser. "I told you I'd kill you if I ever came near my daughter, Fraser." He fired two rounds right into the Mountie's chest.

* * * *


"No!"

Fraser bolted upright, gasping for air. He looked around, trying to adjust his eyes in the

dark. It took him only a second to remember he was lying on his cot in his office at the Consulate. He brought his hands to his chest, feeling only the long johns he was wearing and not bullet holes. He sighed, threw his covers off him, then stood up. While he was glad he had just been dreaming, he couldn't shake what had happened in that dream. He honestly care for Lynda in that particular way, always had since she first flipped him.

"But does she actually care for me in the same way?" he asked aloud. "Or was I really just dreaming?" He knew who could possible help him with this problem.

He walked over to his closet door, opened it, then stepped into his father's office. A nice fire was going and Fraser could smell the crisp, clean air, and the burning wood. He saw his father working at his desk. "Dad?"

Robert Fraser looked up from his papers. He looked surprised. "Yes, Son?"

"Can we talk?"

"Sure," Robert answered as he left his papers and came over to his son. "Considering how it's three in the morning, this must be serious. What's on your mind?"

"Lynda."

Robert smiled. "Ah, the Yank's daughter." His smile faded. "Is she sick or something?"

"No, Dad, I just had a dream about her."

"Really?"

"Yes. I dreamt I was dating her." Fraser told his father the entire dream.

"Well, I wouldn't worry too much," Robert answered. "It was just a dream." He eyed his son more closely. "Unless, there's more to this than you're telling me."

Fraser sighed. "I . . . I care about her."

"More than a friend?"

"Yes."

Robert sighed, then looked right into Fraser's eyes. "Son, it wouldn't work out."

"Why not? I finally meet someone who like me and I like her . . . maybe more than Victoria."

"There are too many hurdles to jump: her father, your age, the fact you work together, just to name a few."

"I don't care," Fraser answered. "I'll jump them."

"Your dream is even telling you that it won't work out. You staring dating her behind her father's back, then the Yank shoots you." Fraser sighed and turned away. "And what makes you so sure that she cares for you the same way you care for her?"

"There's only one way," Fraser answered firmly. "I'll ask her tomorrow." He turned and walked out of the office, leaving Robert to shake his head. He hope things would turn out alright for his son.

* * * *


The following bright, sunny, and cold morning - Saturday - Fraser was dressed in blue plaid, jeans, and his hiking boots when he walked up to Lynda's apartment complex. He nearly bumped into her and the wolves as they came out.

"Oh, hi, Fraser," Lynda said, smiling. She was dressed in a jeans, T-shirt, her suede jacket, and gloves. "What brings you here this morning?"

Fraser hesitated as he stood still. "Uh . . . I was wondering what you were going to be doing today."

"Well, I was going to go to Grant Park with these guys to play ball." She ruffled the heads of her furry companions. "Would you like to join us?"

"Sure," Fraser smiled.

The four got into Lynda's Chevy and drove to the park. After parking they got out and began playing. Fraser watched as Lynda ran with the tow wolves, laughing and frolicking. He sighed as smiled as he walked over to them. "Lynda, may I ask you something?"

"Sure," Lynda replied. She threw a tennis ball. The wolves chased after it. "What's up?"

"Do you remember when your father dreamt that you and I were going out together?"

"Yeah."

"Well, did you mean what you said when you told us that you had no interest in me beyond that of a close friend."

"Of course, Fraser. You don't have to worry about me falling over you like other women." She patted him on the shoulder before running after the wolves.

Fraser just stood, his mouth slightly open. He took in a deep breath as he fought back tears. He could literally feel his heart breaking, just like the time with Victoria.

"I'm sorry, Son."

Fraser looked to his right to see his father standing next to him. "I can't believe how stupid I am."

"You're not stupid, Benton," Robert said firmly. "You're human. As much as you don't think so, you are." He shook his head. "A shame. You two would have made a nice couple."

"Yeah," Fraser replied softly.

"So . . . how's this going to affect your friendship with her?"

Fraser looked at his father, then up at Lynda as she played with Regan and Dief. He sighed. "I'll always be there for her, Dad. Nothing will ever change that. Lynda needs me, but obviously not in the same manner that I need her." Robert smiled proudly at his son. Never had he heard anything so noble.

"Hey, Fraser!" Father and son looked up to see Lynda holding her cell phone. One hand was over the mouth piece. "Dad just called. There's been a burglary over on Main. We're supposed to me Ray and him there."

"Okay," Fraser said as he went to catch up to the group as they made their way back to the Chevy. As they drove off, Fraser stole a quick glance at Lynda. Yes, he thought, I will always be there for her when she needs me. As her friend, and as her teacher. She may be my friend in this life, but she and I will always be more than friends in my dreams . . . even if it is only in my dreams.

THE END