This is just a minor snippet thing I wrote for the hell of it. I'm getting into Turnbull lately, and I'm trying him out with all the characters I can think of to see who clicks the bet. Course, he doesn't get the guy in this one, and all my fics seem to feature a different version of Turnbull. But you'll just have to figure that shit out for yourself. And hey, maybe you could tell me which one ya like. If any. Or tell me they all suck. Free country. Enjoy. It's just a little rated PG POV thing. :-) Lucy They think no one sees them. I don't know how Fraser can be so incredibly blind to think the closet door is still closed. The heated looks that pass between them, the innuendo they think I miss because I am simply too clueless to get it, it's unmistakable. Even to poor, simple me. No, the closet door is wide open, and they're standing in the doorway for all the world to see. You know, I used to not understand that phrase. Naif that I am, when someone first told me of a friend being 'in the closet', I took them literally. Of course I was laughed and, and the meaning explained to me in much simpler terms than were necessary. But now I see the simplicity and truth to the phrase. Constable Fraser and Ray Kowalski are in a closet. Metaphorically speaking, of course. They shut themselves and their relationship up with the other skeletons. And they seem to almost expect any day now for someone to come barging in, to catch them in the act, as it were. They flash those looks and use suggestive phrases as though they HOPE for someone to find them out. That's why I would say they were in a closet. Not a room that could be safely locked from others. A closet. The image would almost make me laugh -- Constable Fraser's neatly hung up serge jackets, pressed and flawless. His carefully polished boots, lined in a neat row. And Ray Kowalski, set somewhere in a corner so as to not ruin the order of everything else. It would make me laugh if it weren't so painful. I am truly as stupid as they say. I am a silly, brainless, hopeless dolt. And not because I trip over my words, or the rugs. Not because I lose files and spill vases of flowers. But because the one thing I aspire to more than anything in the world is to be the one standing in that immaculate closet. Yes, I've made the ultimate mistake. I've fallen in love with a fellow officer. A man. A perfect, beautiful, devoted man. Oh, could I make him happy? I would give everything I have. I can understand him better than these flighty Americans. I wouldn't laugh at him, or call him a freak. I would talk to him about everything we have in common. And he would talk to me. Not laugh at me, or look at me with thinly veiled disgust. Not in my fantasies. We would talk. I would be able to open my mouth and speak, not stammer or play dumb. He would listen. That's all I ask. So you see, I am stupid. But I'm not blind. Constable Fraser comes in from his office in the mornings, bright and cheerful. He says hello to me and tries very hard to pretend that he spent the night in that office of his. Which is silly, because Ray Kowalski is no longer late for work in the mornings. Oh, I used to hear about terminal tardiness, whether it was Fraser complaining, or Ray complaining about his Lieutenant complaining. But no longer. Ray is now on time every day. Because he gets up so early, to make sure Fraser is back here at the Consulate before I arrive. But still Fraser pretends. And when I ask him in my bland way if he had an enjoyable night, he gives me a smile and says it was nothing very special. He follows those answers with a wider, Ray-would-kill-me-if-he-knew-I-said-that grin, which I am not supposed to notice, and then goes on his merry way. Ray arrives, if it is the typical day, and comes to me asking if Fraser is in. As though Fraser is ever out when he isn't with Ray. I, half-wit that I am, make conversation with him. It usually follows a pattern: Me (blank yet always polite smile in place): "I'm sure the Constable will be out shortly. He is usually so happy to leave with you." Ray (trying to look innocent and always failing miserably): "Yeah, well. Guess it must be this Canadian air. It's kinda oppressive." Me (of course looking affronted): "There is nothing wrong with Canadian air, Detective." Ray: "Nothin stepping out in some good old American sunshine won't fix." Me: "I don't imagine you're using very logical thinking, Detective." Ray (of course getting highly upset for no reason): "What the heck is wrong with my thinking?" Me (wanting to say, 'nothing a good head transplant won't fix'): "Oh, nothing, Detective! I'm sure it works for you just fine!" Ray: "All right then. You know, some of you Mounties actually appreciate my thought processes." Me (knowing where this is going and dreading it): "Is that so?" Ray: "Yep. In fact, some of ya really get off on it, ya know? Seein' things in a whole new way. Broadening yer horizons and stuff. You should try it sometime." Me: "Oh, I'm quite content with my horizons as they are now, detective." Ray: "Yeah, I guess you would be." Me (of course pretending the man didn't just insult me): "I certainly would." (setting myself up for more misery) "I believe Constable Fraser is happy as he is as well." Ray: "You don't know Frase." (getting a lascivious gleam in his eye) "Trust me when I say he gets off on what I do for him." And on it goes. I set myself up, and both men continually knock me down. They're happy together, I know that. I know Fraser now smiles more than he ever did before. I can see the effect Ray has on him. It's awful of me to resent it. But I do. I resent every smile Fraser sends my way, because I know it's not for me. And I have started to slowly hate Ray Kowalski. He has everything I don't -- he can move with grace where I stumble. He is golden and slender and handsome where I am square, grey, and plain. He has Fraser's love, I have Fraser's contempt. I have everyone's contempt. Even my own. But I sit here at my desk and paste smiles on my face. I stumble, and stammer, and watch them grin at each other, and ask leading questions. I pray for the day when Fraser greets me without a smile, when Ray no longer appears here every day. Even though Fraser will never look at me with love, I wish for the day when I don't have to see that look given to someone else. They think no one sees them. But I see. I sit at my desk and smile and see.