If I Was Lucky

 

A Snapshot by Anam71

 

I awaken yet again and I am alone, my hands still moving and loving from the blurring of my dreams. His voice is still whispering in my ears, as true and real as the pillow under my head and the mattress under my back. I shut my eyes again. His voice is now fading.

I get up and go to my closet. I reach for my tunic.

I am so different now.

I spend my days trying to convince myself that this was not real. But at nighttime, I dreamt of him.

I am lying in an open field and it is midnight. And instantly someone turned off all the stars. His sharp silhouette darkens my horizon and I can feel his breath on my shoulders and arms.

There was so much love in his voice. "Did you dream of me again?"

"Ray, what would you have me do?"

I sound accusatory, but I cannot help it. He understands.

I feel him press up against the length of me, his face hidden against my neck. And if I was lucky, he would take me, but it was usually at this point my internal alarm rings. I am courteous even in my dreams.

I climb down the steps and he is waiting for me in his car. He smiles at me.

I am too polite to gather him in my arms. I am too scared.

"Good morning, Ray."

I sit by his side and I am more lonely.

But I consider myself lucky.

 

-The End-