One Good Lover by Raven

This is a parallel universe story. It's an AU 'Juliet is Bleeding' related piece which follows with a new version of 'One Good Man'. I chose to make my parallel universe story start here because JIB offers such a neat way to get Vecchio out of the picture. Okay, maybe not neat since I'm sure a car bomb makes quite a mess, but you get the picture. As for OGM, I think it is a lovely urban fable of friendship and sacrifice and neighbourliness and wariness which would make for an interesting Fraser/Kowalski story.

To me, the 'good' man of the original version is Vecchio, because of his sacrifice, so my good man will be Kowalski. I took the liberty of changing the title slightly, as you have already seen. :-) Moreover, this won't be a transcription of the original OGM with changes made to accommodate Ray's character. I'm keeping the original template of the episode--Fraser's problems with his new landlord, Ray and Mackenzie King's help, etc.--but using it as a backdrop for my own story, namely the development of a romantic relationship between Fraser and Ray. I will use some scenes from OGM with the necessary adjustments, but I promise not to merely 'rehash' that ep.

Warning: The story starts off as PG but ends with NC-17. This is a slash story, so if m/m (Fraser/Kowalski) bothers you, don't read it!

I'd love to read some comments and criticism. Please send to raven_free@hotmail.com. All my stories can be found at www.geocities.com/raven_free

I'd like to send a huge thank you kindly to my list sibs on Serge. Couldn't have written this without you!

Disclaimer: I'd consider it very progressive of Alliance not to sue me for using their characters.

One Good Lover

by: Raven

Prologue:

The squad room was buzzing as usual, but the sound was different, not quite right. Missing were the whining lilt of an American-Italian's voice and the calm, neutral tone of his Canadian partner. Not everyone noticed the difference. Just those close to them. As she paused to drop a file on Detective Jack Huey's desk, civilian aid Elaine Besbriss took a moment to speak to him.
"It's weird without them, isn't it?" she asked. Huey nodded. He didn't have to ask who 'them' were."
"Yeah."
"Have you seen Fraser since the funeral?"
"No."
"Maybe I should go see him at the Consulate or something, let him know how the case is going."
"That'd be a good idea, Elaine." Huey paused for a moment. "I don't get it. This isn't like Fraser. The Fraser I know would be at the head of the investigation." Elaine shook her head.
"This isn't the Fraser we know, Jack. You said yourself you and Louis had a damn hard time keeping him away from the wreckage."
"Damn he's strong," Huey groused in a low tone, as though he hadn't meant to say it.
"Anyway, if you do see him, give him my best."

~*~

Constable Benton Fraser found himself starring at a form. He wasn't sure how long he'd been starring at it, but he was sure that it was too long. He jumped when someone knocked at his office door.
"Come in," he managed to make out. It was Turnbull.
"Someone to see you, Sir."
"Who?"
"A Detective Ray Kowalski."
"Who?" Fraser asked, blinking rapidly in the hope of shaking his confusion. It didn't help.
"I don't know, Sir. I could go back and ask him. I won't--" Fraser interrupted the babbling junior officer.
"Tell him I'll be right down," he said, taking a moment to rub his temples.

Fraser knew what Kowalski wanted, even if he didn't know the man himself. He wasn't sure he had the energy to go through this. Stifling a sigh, he made his way downstairs to the lobby.

Kowalski was standing with his back to the foot of the stairs. He was tall, slight of build, and boasted a full head of bushy blond hair. Even from the rear, Fraser could see that the man's attire was sloppy.
"Detective Kowalski?" he asked, heading down the stairs. Kowalski turned, and Fraser was almost knocked off his feet by the sympathy radiating from the detective's hazel eyes.
"Yeah." He extended his hand and Fraser mechanically took it. "I'm in charge of the investigation into Detective Vecchio's m--death. I'm sorry about your friend."
"Thank you," Fraser answered, grateful for this small gesture of kindness. "Shall we go up to my office?"
"Sure thing. I just want to go over a few parts of your statement."
"All right."

"So," Kowalski concluded a good time later, "You're sure it wasn't Zuko running from the car?" Fraser sighed.
"How many times do I have to say it? No. It was not Zuko."
"Your description of the guy--" Fraser scrapped his chair back suddenly.
"I already gave my description to five other officers!"
"Listen, buddy, I'm just trying to help..." That mollified Fraser somewhat. He sank back down into his chair, rubbing his temples.
"I'm sorry," he said after a moment. "My behaviour is uncalled for."
"It's okay, I understand. I--I've lost a partner, too." Fraser swallowed.
"Was he your best friend?"
"No," Kowalski conceded, shaking his head. "You guys were close, uh?"
"Yeah." The detective nodded his understanding before changing the subject.
"We think someone framed Zuko." Fraser looked up, dulled grey eyes expressing curiosity. "We found detonators in a toolshed way too close to his daughter's bedroom. Plus, a piece of wire survived the blast and we got a signature on it."
"So, you know who made it." Fraser's voice was tight.
"That's just the thing. Gardino and Huey at the twenty-seventh noticed something interesting. To keep the wire from incinerating, the bomb maker would have needed some special chemical."
"Nitric acid."
"Nitric acid. But guess what?" Fraser gave a small smile.
"No yellow colouration on the bomb maker's hands."
"Exactly. Plus, he says that he cuts his wires with this special set of pliers."
"But the wire wasn't cut by the wire cutter he uses."
"Exactly." Fraser nodded, turning this around in his brain.
"Do they know what was used to cut the wire?"
"Gardino and Huey are working on that. In the meantime, I've been canvassing the neighbourhood and I found something that's in synch with what you've been telling everyone." Fraser frowned.
"What?"
"Zuko was at home. Kid who lives 'cross the street saw him." Kowalski saw a muscle jump in Fraser's jaw.
"Just means Zuko wasn't there. Doesn't mean he didn't do it."
"Listen, buddy, I know you've got this thing goin' with Zuko. But my instincts tell me he ain't the one who killed your friend. I think that we're gonna find out who cut that wire soon enough, and that'll take us to the bomber." Fraser appeared to churn this over. "I was talkin' with some folks at the twenty-seventh--"
"Why are you on this case?" the Mountie asked suddenly.
"'Cause, unlike you and all the cops at the twenty-seventh, I've never had nothin' to do with Zuko. Keep a clear perspective, you know."
"Oh."
"Anyway, they're missin' you over there," Kowalski added pointedly. He looked at his watch. "Hey, it's lunch time. You wanna grab a bite to eat?" Fraser shook his head.
"Not hungry."
"When was the last time you ate?" Fraser shrugged.
"Dinner." Kowalski raised his eyebrows.
"Which dinner?"
"At Scarpeta's."
"That was almost three days ago! That's it, you're comin' with me. No buts, I'm buying." Fraser meekly followed.

~*~

Fraser took a deep breath before pulling open the door. The sound and smell of the Bullpen nearly overwhelmed him and he gagged. Lunch with Kowalski had been a mistake. He wasn't sure he'd be able to keep his tuna sandwich down for very long. Elaine spotted him almost immediately, taking in the dark purple under eye circles ringing the Mountie's eyes.
"Fraser!" she called, motioning him over to her desk. Fraser took a step and faltered when he allowed his eyes to sweep over Vecchio's desk. It took a deep breath before he could bring himself to make his way over to Elaine.
"Elaine," he said in lieu of greeting. It was the best Fraser could make out. He knew Elaine was analysing the word and the tight, barely controlled way in which he'd said it. "I---I can't stay. Just promised Detective Kowalski I'd come and say hello." Elaine smiled sympathetically, resisting an urge to pat his arm.
"I'm happy you came, Fraser. We've all been worried." Her worrying intensified when Fraser made no move to reassure her that he was doing all right.
"I--I have to go," he said suddenly, his lunch churning dangerously in his stomach.
"Do you need a ride?"
"Uh, no, thank you. The walk will do me good. I need a walk." Without another word, Fraser turned on his heels and almost exited the Bullpen at a run. Elaine looked on, more worried than ever before for the Mountie she considered a friend.

~*~

Two days later, Kowalski stood on the threshold of apartment 3J, hoping that he was the bearer of good news. 'Nice place, Fraser', he thought before knocking. There was a sound from within the apartment of a chair being scraped back against a wooden floor. It took only a moment for the door to open.
"Detective Kowalski?" Fraser said, the surprise on his face evident.
"Yeah. Can I come in?"
"Uh, sure." Fraser motioned towards the general direction of the living room portion of his apartment. "Have a seat." Kowalski entered and sat uncomfortably on one of Fraser's padded chairs while the Mountie paced. He found himself wondering if Fraser was always this wound up. From what he'd been told, the guy was usually cool as cucumber.
"Michael Sorrento," Kowalski said. Fraser stopped his pacing, turning slowly.
"I'm sorry?"
"He was the one setting Zuko up. Huey got him. The wire was cut usin' that snipper thing for the end of cigars." Kowalski saw realisation dawn in the Mountie's eyes. His jaw twitched and his fists clenched. But for that, Kowalski saw no sign of emotion in the Mountie's expression.
"Case closed, then?"
"Yeah. Vecchio can rest in peace now." Fraser let out a sigh, dropping down to sit at the foot of his bed. There was a moment of uncomfortable silence. "Listen, you got anybody to talk to about this?" Fraser shook his head, not bothering to look up. "If ya, you know, wanna talk or anythin', I can listen. I've been through some rough times of my own lately, and I know it's not easy when you ain't got nobody to talk to."
"Thank you," Fraser mumbled. Kowalski saw that the Mountie wasn't about to take him up on his offer, at least not yet. He pulled something out of his wallet.
"Here's my card. It's got my cell number on it. Call me if you need anything, okay?" There was no response. "I'll just leave it on the table." Kowalski retreated then without another word.

~*~

"It was Sorrento, Ray." Fraser was surprised that he was able to utter the words, his throat felt so tight. Ray's grave was still raw, the freshly turn earth covering the detective's final resting place had yet to heal and be covered by a new layer of grass. "Ray--" Fraser's voice broke finally, for the first time since it had happened. "I... I can't do this alone!" He was unable to stop the tears which coursed down his cheeks in torrents. Too many days of withholding his emotions. Too many long hours of waiting for justice. Fraser sank to his knees in the cool earth and wept himself dry.

~*~

A few days later, Fraser answered the telephone at the Consulate. He was happy with his decision not to take time off. Later, he'd need a healing vacation, but right now, he needed to keep himself occupied and his mind off Ray's death.
"Constable Fraser speaking."
"It's Ray. Kowalski." One could visibly hear the detective biting his tongue over his mistake. Fraser ignored the pinch in his heart as he answered.
"What can I do for you, detective?"
"Just wanted to let you know he got life." Fraser sucked in his breath. "Without parole," Kowalski added.
"Thank you for taking the time to call me."
"Welsh was gonna do it, but I thought I should so I could give you the other news, too."
"What news?" Fraser asked tiredly.
"I was looking at a transfer before the case and it just came through."
"You can't replace Ray," Fraser said, his voice tight.
"Yeah, I know I can't. I can't help it if we got the same name." Fraser let out a soft sigh.
"No, I guess not."
"My offer still stands." Fraser rolled the words around in his mind for a bit. Maybe it would do him some good to talk to someone about Ray, talk to someone who hadn't known Ray.
"Um, I get off work at five-thirty. Maybe we could meet for coffee at the coffee shop at the end of Maxwell?" Kowalski was surprised by the offer, but he didn't let his emotion show.
"Yeah, sure. I'll be there at six, okay?"
"See you then, detective."

~*~

Kowalski took his coffee with one sugar, Fraser with two as well as three creams. Besides ordering coffee, they said nothing until Fraser finally broke the ice.
"I am grateful for the kindness you extend me, detective." Kowalski knew by the stiffness of the words that this hadn't been an easy thing for Constable Benton Fraser, RCMP, to say.
"Hey, not a problem, buddy. Listen, you can't go on calling me detective. You could call me Stan, I guess."
"Stan?"
"Yeah. Stanley Raymond Kowalski. My dad had this thing for Brando. Me, it was always Steve McQueen." Fraser's jaw twitched and Ray saw something strange in his eyes, something he'd never seen. Suddenly, Fraser gave a chuckle. It wasn't much, but Kowalski knew it was a big step.
"Your name is Stanley Kowalski???" Kowalski laughed.
"Yeah. That's why I go by Ray." Fraser nodded.
"I'll try to call you Ray, then. Just so long as you call me something, too."
"Fraser okay?" The Mountie nodded.
"Just so long as you don't pronounce it 'Frasier'."
"I can do that. So," he continued, changing the subject. "No wife, crummy apartment, and a wolf. You're one strange guy, Fraser."
"I take it, then, that you have a wife, a 'nice' apartment, and no wolf?"
"Uh, an ex-wife, a bachelor pad, and a turtle." Fraser smiled.
"I take the first thing you mentioned is the hard times you spoke about?" Kowalski nodded.
"Yeah, Stella." Fraser snorted. Kowalski gaped at him. "Uh?"
"I'm sorry. It's just, Stanley Kowalski and Stella!" Kowalski smiled.
"Yeah, it does get to people, sometimes. Glad I got you to laugh."
"I'm sorry," Fraser said, wiping away a tear. "I just needed that. Please do not think I'm making slight of your marital difficulties or anything like that." Kowalski nodded.
"S'okay, I understand. So, uh, what else did you do besides hang around with Vecchio and solve crimes."
"Work?" Lieutenant Welsh had asked him the same question so long ago, during Fraser's first encounter with Zuko. Nothing had changed.
"Well, we can't have you moping around, Fraser. How 'bout we catch a movie once in a while or something? At least have coffee? I'll get stuff off my chest, you'll get stuff off your chest, and we can both go home happy." Fraser smiled.
"I'd like that. I--I've been contemplating what life will be like now that Ray is gone..." To his surprise, Kowalski extended a hand and placed it on the Mountie's.
"Just take it a day at a time, buddy." Fraser nodded.
"Thank you kindly... Ray."

~*~

Fraser hesitated before entering the Bullpen. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. Maybe he should have phoned first. But he'd been in the area, running errands for the Inspector. Yes, he'd go in. If he didn't, he'd never have the courage to do so again.

The squad room was surprisingly quiet. Elaine's desk was empty as was Kowalski's. Fraser headed for Gardino's.
"Fraser!" the detective greeted him. Fraser gave him a small smile.
"Good afternoon, Lewis. I'm looking for Ray." Gardino raised his eyebrows.
"Uh, Fraser..." Fraser shook his head in amusement.
"I meant Kowalski. Ray Kowalski."
"Right!" Gardino exclaimed. "Try the morgue."
"Thank you kindly."

Downstairs, Fraser knocked on the door to the morgue before entering. He found Dr. Pearson examining a body while Kowalski stood hunched over with his back to her.
"And we're done," Pearson concluded.
"Thank god!" Ray exclaimed gleefully, heading for the door when he saw Fraser.
"Fraser! Whatcha doing here?" His tone expressed surprise, but also happiness at seeing the Mountie. Fraser felt the weight on his heart lift just a little.
"I was in the area and thought I'd drop in. I take it you don't like the morgue?" Kowalski made a face.
"Come on upstairs with me and get a coffee, then you can help me with this case I can't figure out, okay?"
"Certainly. Pleasure seeing you again, Dr. Pearson."
"Likewise, Constable."

~*~

Gardino had spent all of ten minutes observing the Mountie and Kowalski when Huey came down from forensics.
"Did you know those two were friends?" Lewis asked his partner without even having to turn to see him.
"No. They do look pretty tight, though."
"Think they met over the case?"
"Could be." The two were surprised when Fraser threw back his head and gave a full bellied laugh at something Kowalski had said. Neither Gardino nor Huey had ever seen Fraser do that with Vecchio.

Fraser wiped away a tear as he tried to control his laughter. Some of the things which came out of the American's mouth were just too funny, even for him. Then again, all he had to do was think about Stanley and Stella to get a smile going. Kowalski checked his watch.
"Okay, dinnertime. I'm buying pizza and we can talk about the case over it. If you want." Fraser smiled.
"That's fine. I'm rather hungry myself." Ray grabbed his files and he and Fraser headed outside. At one point, Ray slung an arm loosely over Fraser's shoulders. Those watching the pair saw that the Mountie showed no discomfort with the familiar gesture.

~*~

A few nights later, Ray called Fraser at the Consulate. He didn't waste any time.
"Fraser, I need a favour."
"Shoot."
"Can I crash at your place tonight? We've been havin' roaches..." He heard Fraser give a small laugh.
"Not a problem if you don't mind rats." A beat.
"That was a joke, right?"
"Sure, Ray." Ray laughed.
"How 'bout I pick you up after work? Say six?"
"That's fine. We can order pizza or something."
"Great, see you then!"

~*~

"Have I mentioned yet that this is a nice neighbourhood, Fraser?" Ray asked sarcastically.
"It's home. I know my neighbours, my streets, their dangers. I'm comfortable here." Ray nodded thoughtfully.
"Can't you afford better?"
"I don't need 'better'."

Fraser led his friend into the apartment. Ray didn't have to ask. "You may take the bed, Ray. I have my bedroll."

~*~

Kowalski knocked on Welsh's door, wondering what the Lieutenant wanted. He thought he was doing a good job. Hell, even his paperwork was barely backed up! "You wanted to see me?" he asked Welsh.
"Yeah, come in. Have a seat." Ray sat.
"You're doin' real good work, detective. I'm happy to call you one of my men." Ray couldn't help smiling.
"Thank you, sir."
"You and the Mountie seem to have hit it off."
"You know, things in common." Welsh smiled.
"It's good to have him back." He took a deep breath. "The reason I called is I was wondering if Fraser's your partner--unofficially, of course. That's how it worked with Vecchio. Otherwise, I'll have to pair you up with someone else--officially."
"Yeah, I think Frase and me can be partners. I think he'd like that. He's already helped with a few cases."
"Talk it over with him and let me know tomorrow, okay?"
"Sure, lieu."

~*~

"I was talking to Welsh today," Ray said to Fraser between bites of moo goo guy pan. Both had had a long day and were happy to be relaxing in Ray's apartment. Fraser was uncharacteristically sprawled on the couch, face down, lethargically lifting bites of beef and broccoli from the container on the floor. "He wants to know if we're unofficial partners. I told him we are, but he wanted me to clear it with you. I know I can't replace Vecchio, but I'd like it if we could be friends and work together and--"
"Ray," Fraser interrupted him. "You're right, you can't replace Ray. I know you're not trying to. And I'd love to be your unofficial partner." Ray grinned.
"That makes it official, then."
"Unofficially, of course," Fraser teased.

End of the prologue.


Ray made this way through the throng of people crowded in the lobby of 221 West Racine. He spotted his red clad partner immediately.
"Hey, Fraser!" he called, going up to him.
"Hi, Ray."
"Whatcha doin'?"
"Inspecting," Fraser answered, rubbing a white glove over a grill to reveal a substantial amount of dirt. He hid it from his fellow tenants, showing them only the clean part of the glove. The neighbours cheered and Mr. Mustafi exclaimed that a little bit of paint and cleaning had made the place as good as new. Ray leaned over to whisper in Fraser's ear.
"The place is filthy."
"Yes, I know. But they're trying."
"Trying to do what?"
"Impress the new landlord, Mr. Taylor."
"You thought that by getting 'em to redecorate..." Ray didn't finish his sentence. He shook his head. "You're a freak, you know that?" Fraser smirked.
"Yes, Ray." The Mountie led his partner up the stairs to his apartment where Ray made himself right at home and fixed coffee.

"You met the new landlord yet?" Ray asked, stirring sugar and cream into Fraser's cup. Fraser nodded.
"Yes, I have. He seems to be a good man, intent on improving the standard of living of his tenants."
"Sounds kinda fishy to me," Ray said, blowing on his coffee.
"Well, Ray, that's rather cynical of you, isn't it?"
"Ya know me, Benton-buddy, ever the realist." Fraser shook his head in silent acceptance of his partner's quirks. He liked his new friend. He even wondered if he could have weathered the loss of Vecchio without him. Ray's easy smile and ability to give Fraser just the right amount of physical contact just when he needed it endeared the detective to the Mountie. Fraser wasn't certain that he deserved this, the chance to have had two best friends, two friends with whom he could share everything, but, still, he had it. He knew he was blessed.

"So, how 'bout a movie tonight?" Ray asked, breaking the silence.
"Certainly. What's playing?"
"Well, there's that Hitchcock festival on. Think tonight is 'North by Northwest'." Fraser began to enlighten his friend as to the significance that movie had on his life. Then, he thought better. Maybe he could exorcize this demon, too.

Later that night, the pair came out of the movie theatre laughing.
"Ah, man, when that crop duster tried to kill him!" Ray exclaimed, trying to catch his breath. Fraser joined him. It felt so good to be able to laugh. To realise that it was just a movie. To finally feel that maybe, just maybe, he could put the past behind him and move on. Even love someone new. Fraser found himself wishing all of a sudden that Ray was a woman. Would he ever find one who would have Ray's character? A woman he could be his best self with?

The letter was tacked to his apartment door. Ray had come up so that they could order a pizza. Fraser read the message twice, frowning as he did so.
"What's wrong?" Ray asked.
"Our rent has been raised to one thousand dollars a month," Fraser said incredulously.
"And let me guess, you guys don't have a lease." Ray gave a long suffering sigh. "Lemme see that." Fraser handed Ray the letter. He scanned it quickly. "He can do this," he sighed. Fraser ran a hand through his hair.
"Can we fight this?"
"You can take it to city hall. But let's not kid ourselves. You'll have to make a fuss." Fraser sighed.
"I won't have to raise my voice, will I?"
"Tell ya what," Ray proposed. "You complain, and I'll raise my voice, deal?" Fraser smiled gratefully.
"Thanks, Ray."

The pair looked up when a knock sounded at Fraser's door. He rose to enter it and found most of his neighbours congregating in the hall, waving their own copy of the memo.

Oh, dear.

They were all clamouring and shouting and Fraser could make out the odd "It's your fault!" He wasn't quite sure how a rent increase was his fault, but he knew he could fight to make things better. Having Ray on his side gave him confidence.

Fraser raised a hand to silence the mob and eventually they settled down.
"Detective Kowalski and I will be going to City Hall this very instant to clear this up. In the meantime--"
"Stay in your apartments, don't give in to any demands, and don't sign anything!" Ray added. Fraser turned to his partner.
"Thank you, Ray."

~*~

City Hall was an impressive building on Randolph right in front of the Thompson Center, near the Daley Center, where Fraser and Vecchio, as well as the FBI, had tried to corner the kidnapper of the Madison girl. All in all, an area of downtown Fraser wasn't all that unfamiliarised with.

Inside, Fraser went up to a clerk.
"I'm here about an injustice," he said. The African-American woman barely looked up, a bored expression on her face.
"Uh?" Fraser turned to his partner for help. Ray stepped in smoothly.
"The rent in his building was raised real high and nobody can pay it."
"So?"
"So, where the hell do we go to complain about that???" Fraser was pleased to see the clerk's interest perk up at Ray's display of temper.

It didn't get them much, though. Without a lease, Fraser was told, the landlord could do whatever he damn well pleased.

"How 'bout I drop you off at your place," Ray offered as they exited City Hall. "I'll go back to the precinct and shake a tree. See if anything nasty on Taylor comes falling out." Fraser smiled gratefully.
"Thanks, Ray." Without thinking, he reached out and touched his partner's hand, squeezing it gently. "I appreciate your help." Ray gave him a sweet smile.
"Not like I got anything better to do," he teased.
"Not at home!" Fraser suddenly exclaimed.
"Huh?"
"Can you drop me at the Sun building instead, please?"
"The Sun building?"
"Yes, I have an friend there. She might be able to help."
"Yeah, sure, buddy."

~*~

Fraser heard the argument before he actually saw who he was coming to see. Something about bagels. It said a lot about his state of mind that he did not hesitate at knocking on the office door and thus interrupt the conversation. He entered when invited to do so.
"Bento!" a petite blond woman exclaimed when she saw her guest. Fraser smiled fondly.
"Hello, Mackenzie. I'm here to buy you lunch. I need some help!" Mackenzie King, ill reputed reporter for the Sun-Times, exchanged a few more heated words with her boss before following 'Bento' outside.

"Shoot," she said once they both had a hot dog from a street vendor in hand.
"Our new landlord is trying to raise our rent to one thousand dollars a month!" King raised her eyebrows. "We don't have a lease. I thought that perhaps you could make our plight public... Ray mentioned on the way over here that perhaps we could organize a demonstration."
"And you'd want me to cover it, right?" Fraser nodded, taking a bite of his hot dog. "Poor people aren't gonna get me the Pulitzer, Fraser!" Fraser gave her is best 'wide eyed Mountie look.' "Dammit, Bento, how can you be doing this to me again???"
"Doing what?" he asked innocently. Mackenzie let out an exasperated sigh.
"Fine, call me when you're ready." Fraser grinned.
"Thank you kindly."

~*~

He knew something was wrong the moment he got home. Just something in the air. Then Dennis handed him the eviction notice. It didn't take long for his scared neighbours to stream into his apartment again. Fraser made them promise to fight together, filling them on his and Ray's plan to stage a demonstration to be covered by the news. Somewhat appeased, he was finally left alone. Until yet another person knocked at his door. He went to open it.

"Ray?"
"Hey, Fraser," the detective said, letting himself in. "Got nothing on Taylor."
"He's trying to evict us." Ray sat at the table where Fraser handed him the eviction notice. Ray whistled.
"Are the neighbours gonna fight?" Fraser nodded.
"Yes, I think the majority of them are committed. I must say your participation has been a real morale booster. Mr. Mustafi told me he wouldn't be there if it weren't for the fact that you've been so supportive."
"Anything for a friend, huh?" Ray asked, reaching for Fraser's hand and squeezing it.

Fraser swallowed, feeling that flutter in his stomach. That longing that Ray could be a woman so they could... He was human. He knew he'd gone a long time without any more contact than a gentle shoulder squeeze or the odd hug. Why was Ray, of all people, waking all these feelings in him? Feelings he had thought buried for ever within him like that bullet in his back? Feelings that a certain woman had twisted until they became something very ugly, something Fraser was ashamed of? And why were these feelings still frightening, but no longer ugly?

Ray frowned, concerned.
"You okay, buddy?" Fraser swallowed and shook his head. Ray was by his side right away, draping a hand over the Mountie's shoulder. "Hey, it's gonna be okay, buddy, I promise. I won't let them evict you. And even if worse comes to worse, you can always stay with me, right?" Fraser refused to look up. "That's not the problem, is it?" Ray said after a moment, with the wisdom only a best friend could have. Fraser shook his head miserably.
"I'm so alone..." he managed to choke out. "Even with you here, I'm so... alone." Concerned flooded Ray, reflected in his gentle hazel eyes.
"Where's this coming from?" Ray asked gently.
"Every time you touch me... Every time you're so kind... It was so different with Ray. Nothing more. But with you... I can't explain it Ray. I haven't felt this in so long..." Ray listened patiently to Fraser's babbling, stroking his hand. "Ray... wouldn't have been here the way you are. He would have helped, but with a lot of complaining. That was the price of Ray's help, listening to him whine and complain, but with you, it's free, and I'm... I'm just not used to that," Fraser managed to make out before tears finally spilled down his cheeks.

It took Ray a moment to react, shocked, and surprised, as he was by Fraser's confession. Finally, a skinny arm encircled Fraser's shoulders.
"I love you, too," the detective whispered gently. Fraser looked up, sad grey eyes showing surprise. "Stella used to say about me just what you said about Vecchio. She said that was friendly love, not soul mate love..." It was Ray's turn to feel uncertainty. He swallowed as he waited for Fraser to answer.
"Ray, I never..."
"Me neither."
"Can I?"

Ray didn't answer. He leaned over, tentatively searching out Fraser's mouth, his thin lips meeting Fraser's full ones furtively. They just brushed. It wasn't even really a kiss. But, for two lonely cops, something had just started.

Ray was the first one to pull back. Fraser looked at him, his eyes expressing a mixture of confusion and fear and hope.

"Well, whadya know," Ray said, brushing a hand through his head. "We're both bisexual. What're the odds?" The corners of Fraser's mouth turned up at this and twitched until the Mountie burst out into side splitting laughter. Ray joined him. It took them a few minutes to regain their composure.

"I'm so relieved!" Fraser managed to gasp out then.
"That I'm bisexual, too, or that I'm interested in you as more than just a friend?" Ray teased.
"Both!" Fraser exclaimed before leaning forward to pull Ray to him again.

Their lips met once more, this time with a life of their own. They bit and rubbed and sucked until frantic tongues found themselves and enjoyed a wild, almost animalistic tango. Somehow, Fraser found himself in Ray's lap, his arms wrapped tightly around his partner with Ray's arms wrapped around his torso.

Fraser found that Ray tasted of coffee and chocolate (not a meal, according to Fraser) and sweat.

Ray found that Fraser tasted of tea and salmon salad (not a meal, according to Ray) and sweat.

Most pleasant, all in all. Rich. Nourishing.

Unfortunately, the kiss had to end as both men found themselves gasping for air. A little disappointed with their apparent lack of stamina, they broke apart.

"God, I needed that..." Fraser whispered, relaxing against Ray.
"Me, too," Ray admitted, stroking his partner's hair. "Let's never be apart, okay?"
"Gladly," Fraser said happily. He took a deep breath. "So, what are we going to do about the eviction notice." Ray grinned as he nuzzled Fraser's neck.
"Back to that are we?"
"Unfortunately, yes," Fraser said, pulling away, but not breaking the embrace.
"I'll go talk to old man Potter," Ray promised.
"You will?" Ray nodded. He sealed the agreement with a quick kiss.

~*~

Potter had made his money in real estate. Bodily weaknesses did not equal senility. He was no fool. That last transaction with Taylor guaranteed he'd never lack anything until his death, including the best hospitals and treatments. And after oblivion came, a lovely mausoleum. Yeah, Potter knew exactly what Taylor intended to do with 221 West Racine and he didn't give a damn.

He listened to the cop rattle on for a while. Didn't even have to pay all that much attention. He knew what he was saying. Finally, the detective came up for air and Potter interjected.
"The building's sold. Go talk to Taylor."
"And you can go to hell," Ray answered.

Ray's blood boiled as he exited the Potter mansion. He couldn't let Fraser down. Than another thought seized him. This was his Fraser he was thinking about. This warmed him a little and strengthened his convictions. This was one fight he wouldn't allow Fraser to fight alone.

His phone rang.
"Kowalski."
"Ray, it's... Ben. I'm in front of Taylor's building with some of the tenants. Mackenzie's here, too and--"
"You could use a few more people. I'm on my way, Ben." He could hear Fraser smile as he hung up.

~*~

"Bento, you are one man in a red suit..." With a resigned sign, Fraser stepped out of the picket line to face the reporter who was frantically snapping pictures.
"Mackenzie, I need help, not a lecture!" She shook her head good naturedly.
"And I need a story! This is not a story!" Fraser shrugged.
"Anyone else at your office ever had the chance to cover a story where a Mountie was picketing for something like this?" Awareness dawned in King's eyes.
"Doesn't anyone limp?!" she yelled.

~*~

Hours later, Fraser sat at his kitchen table, head in his hands. Ray stood behind him, giving him a back rub.
"It didn't do anything..." Fraser sighed. Ray stopped for a moment, allowing his arms to sneak around Fraser's neck. He rested his head against Fraser's shoulder.
"It did something. We'll be on the first page of the Sun tomorrow. Betcha we'll have this thing solved within the next twenty-four hours.
"And if we don't?" Ray kissed his cheek.
"You can move in with me."
"It's not me I'm worried about, Ray..."
"I know, Ben. Tomorrow night is the weekly meeting at City Hall. People can go in and lodge complaints and stuff. I'm gonna go ask your neighbours to go with us." Fraser turned his head to smile at Ray.
"Thank you. I'll get to work on dinner." Ray pressed his lips gently against Fraser's before leaving.

Midway through his dinner preparations, as the gas powering his stove was cut off, Fraser knew he was in for a long night. Sighing, he rummaged through the fridge to find something cold to eat. There were a few vegetables. Maybe with some chicken and the left over salad dressing. His idea was nixed when he came to wash the vegetables and found that no water came through his taps. As he expected, Ray came up minutes later.
"You too?" the detective asked.
"Yeah," Fraser sighed as the lights went out. He heard Ray snicker. "What's so funny?"
"Oh, nothin'. It's just too much. I got a few neighbours to come tomorrow. I found some packing."
"Packing???"
"No gas, no water, no lights, and I betcha Dennis is gonna cut the heat, too."
"He can't do this, Ray."
"He can, Ben. You guys ain't got no lease."
"Thank you for not saying it, Ray." He heard Ray smirk.
"Say what?" the detective teased.
"Nothing. Would... would you mind spending the night here? I don't want to leave, just in case they are problems."
"'Course not. How 'bout I order pizza?"

The pair ate pizza by candle light, talking very little, content in just being in the presence of the other. Finally, they couldn't put if off any longer.
"Guess we should be getting ready for bed," Ray said.
"Yeah. Um, Ray?"
"Don't worry, Ben, I'm not ready either." That alleviated the tension somewhat and the pair tumbled onto Fraser's bed wearing only tee-shirts and underwear. Fraser spooned himself against Ray.
"Comfortable?" he asked.
"Mmm," Ray answered. Snuggling against one another, they fell asleep.

The night passed uneventfully. Ray was the first to stir the next morning and he was allowed five whole minutes of watching Ben sleep.
"How long have you been awake?" Fraser asked, his voice a little scratchy from sleep as he stretched.
"Not long," Ray answered.
"It's freezing in here," Fraser stated uncharacteristically. Ray knew his cue. He wrapped his arms more tightly around his partner. He found that he didn't like that word anymore.

"Ben?"
"Mmm?"
"What are we?"
"Uh?"
"Well, we're more than partners now, but we ain't lovers yet, so what are we?"
"Boy friends?" Ray burst out laughing.
"I think I'll stick to partner, then." Fraser raised himself on one elbow.
"I kind of like boy friend. 'Hi, this is my boy friend, Ray'," he practised. Ray shook his head.
"Yeah, that'll pass over real good before they pop you one."
"Ray, why are you trying to ruin a wonderful morning by being so realistic? Can't you allow us just a small period of time to be blissfully happy before we have to worry about the rest of the world?" Ray hung his head.
"I'm sorry." Fraser kissed the top of his head.
"S'okay. It's just that I know I hard this is going to be... I... I love you, Ray. I'm not ashamed of that. But I have a lot of other stuff on my mind right now."
"I know, Ben. And I love you, too." Ray twisted around so he could kiss Fraser. Both men said it at the same time,
"Morning breath. Ew!"

~*~

Fraser came home from work at mid-afternoon to find chaos. There were people in the hallway, screaming, pushing one another, and right in the centre was Mackenzie, snapping pictures.
"What's going on?" he asked loudly.
"Lock out!" she replied, still snapping away. Mr. Mustafi came over to him.
"They came into our places and wrecked everything and said it was us! Most of the stuff was wrecked when we came in!"
"They broke my window and said I did it!" Mrs. Illyich added for good measure. Something boiled up in Fraser, an emotion he couldn't quite identify. This was going too far. He went over to a large man who was placing locks on all the doors.
"What do you think you're doing?" the Mountie asked.
"Rats--" Fraser interrupted him.
"We haven't had rats in here in months!" Without hesitation, he went to where the fire hose was and broke the glass, getting the ax. No sooner had Fraser swung once at a locked door than the goon cleanly picked him up, tossing the Canadian against a wall. Fraser grunted. King took pictures.

There was barely time to catch his breath before Fraser was picked up and tossed again. This time, he managed to land on his feet and deal a few blows of his own. The goon forced him back again and Fraser found himself going through something solid--his apartment door. He landed on his ass. The goon picked him by the collar, tossing Fraser onto the kitchen table which collapsed. Enraged, the Mountie managed to launch himself at the goon and land a few satisfying punches. The match was at a draw when a scream was heard in the hallway. The goon stopped mid-punch, giving Fraser time to leap his feet and race to the hallway.

He found a young mother and her daughter trapped in the elevator. "The cable's been cut!" one of his neighbours yelled. Fraser didn't hesitate. "Call the fire department!" he yelled just as he ripped the gate off, reaching in for the little girl and pulling her to safety. The mother wouldn't come, she was paralysed by fear, so Fraser went in after her, pushing her to safety, when the last cable finally snapped.

His stomach remained in his throat as Fraser began a breathtaking ride downwards. At the last second, he succeeded in jumping onto a floor as he whizzed past it. Seconds later, the elevator crashed to the ground.

Winded and sore, Fraser limped back upstairs to find Mackenzie still snapping pictures. The goon looked stunned. Fraser took his cue and performed a citizen's arrest, leading the goon outside where a uniformed officer took over. Ray pulled up moments later.

"Ben?" he called, racing out of his car to his dishevelled partner.
"I'm okay, Ray," Fraser reassured him, his voice just a little shaky. Ray squeezed his arm.
"You guys wanna end this?" Ray called to the neighbours who had gathered outside. "Then come tonight and stand up for yourselves!"

~*~

In the end, only two of Fraser's neighbours refused to show at the meeting where Fraser spoke for all of them.
"Mr. Taylor mis-lead them," Fraser concluded his one minute speech. "All we want is fairness." The alderman frowned.
"Mr. Taylor's plans have been approved, Constable. I'm impressed that you all gathered here tonight, but I'm sorry, you wasted your time."
"So, you would make them all homeless?" Fraser asked.
"Your time has expired, Constable."
"No, ma'am it has not. I want to know what you had to gain from approving Mr. Taylor's plans."
"Excuse me?"
"You heard the man," Ray cut in. "He's not asking for tax relief or special privileges. He just wants his neighbours to have a home. I don't know how you guys can sleep at night."
"Ray," Fraser whispered. "Now is not the time to aggravate her!"
"I'm stalling," Ray whispered back.

As though on cue, Dennis, the superintendent, stepped into the room.
"They got a lease," he announced, looking at Ray who smiled. "Found it this afternoon," he said, smirking at Taylor. "Ten years, no rent increase. Still two years to go on it." The alderman shook her head in annoyance.
"Due to this new evidence, I have no choice but to revoke Mr. Taylor's plans."

~*~

Fraser took his Ray out for dinner to celebrate.
"Couldn't have done it without you!" Fraser exclaimed, taking Ray's hand. Ray shrugged.
"Nah, you did it yourself. I just gave you that boost you needed to go through with it."
"You got the neighbours to rally together, Ray."
"You gave the neighbours pride in their home." Fraser nodded thoughtfully.
"Thanks, Ray."
"I love you too, Ben." Fraser took a deep breath.
"How about tonight?" he asked. Ray furrowed his brow.
"How about what tonight?"
"I think I'm ready," Fraser said mysteriously in lieu of answering. Realisation dawned in Ray's eyes.
"Ah."
"If you don't want to..."
"No, I want to! I'm just..."
"Scared? Yeah, me too." This lowered Ray's heartbeat somewhat.
"We're going to need some stuff... I mean, we might not go that far tonight, but we'd better be prepared, right?" Fraser nodded.
"Yeah, prepared."
"So, you game? We go into that drugstore together or not at all."
"Oh, I'm with you, Ray. The one at the corner is open really late." Ray glanced at his watch.
"It should be fairly quiet at this time. Okay, I'm good. Let's do it." Fraser signalled for the check.

There was no one on the street, so the two wrapped an arm around the other. Fraser rested his head against Ray's shoulder.
"I wish it could always be like this..." he sighed.
"You and me both, Ben."

As anticipated, there was no one in the drugstore except the cashier who greeted them with a smile. Fraser had shopped there a few times and remembered that the contraceptive aids were located at the back. He led Ray there.

"Man, I didn't know there were so many different sorts of condoms," Ray said in awe. "I mean, Stella and me just had each other so we used the pill."
"The woman's always bought them," Fraser answered, picking up a box at random. "Ribbed?" Ray picked up another one.
"Extra thin for enhanced sensation," he read
"Tested for durability." Ray snickered.
"Hope they washed it!" Fraser laughed.
"How about one of each?"
"You out of your mind! There's an expiry date on those! How 'bout one box ribbed, one box regular, and one box thin so we can decide what we like?" Fraser nodded.
"Ok--" was all he managed before bursting out laughing. It took him a moment before he could speak. "I can't believe we're shopping for condoms!" he exclaimed in a stage whisper. Ray laughed too.
"Life with you ain't never dull, Ben. So, what brands are we getting?"
"I don't know!"
"Here," Ray said, picking up a box. "I've seen these advertised a lot. They might be good."
"Fine," Fraser answered. "Now, we need lube." It was Ray's turn to burst out into giggles.
"Lube??? Did you, Benton Fraser, say lube?"
"Ssh!" Fraser giggled, looking towards the cash where the young lady appeared oblivious to their discussion. Ray shook his head and looked down a few shelves.
"There!" Luckily, there was only one type of lube available, so they didn't have a chance to argue over it.

Going up to the cash was the worst part. They decided to take the nonchalant route. Either it worked or the cashier was open minded because she didn't bat an eyelash as she rang up the purchases.
"21.03," she said. Ray dug into his wallet and came up with twelve dollars. Fraser found ten. They each handed their bills over.
"Who gets the change?" she asked.
"My boyfriend does," Fraser answered. She handed Ray the coins and bagged their purchases. Fraser allowed himself the liberty of taking Ray's hand as they exited the store.

"My boyfriend???" Ray repeated once they were outside. He sounded pleased, not angry. "Who are you and what have you done with my Ben???" Fraser laughed, pulling his Ray into a kiss.
"This is your Ben," he said lasciviously. "Let's go home and try that stuff out, okay?" Ray laughed.
"Race you!" he answered.

It took them the better part of five minutes to make it to Fraser's apartment. Along the way, they agreed that while Ray's bed would have been bigger (and cosier), the proximity of Fraser's apartment made it more favourable.

Inside 3J, they paused and looked at one another.
"Where do we start?" Ray asked. Fraser shrugged.
"Kissing?" Ray laughed.
"Let's go sit on the bed." He took Fraser's hand and led him there. They sat side by side, twisting their upper bodies so that they could look at each other.

"I should warn you, I haven't done this recently," Ray said.
"Me neither. Just after Christmas last year," Fraser answered.
"Well, that's more recently than me. You ever done it with a guy?" Ray asked suddenly.
"No. You?"
"Nope. At least we'll know what the other person wants since we're made the same."
"Not necessarily, Ray. How do you like having fellatio performed on you?" Ray choked.
"Uh, did you--" Fraser interrupted him.
"Ray, we are about to make love!" Finally, one of them had said it. "I know you're not used to having me talk about these things, but we've never had occasion to before!"
"Right. Okay, fellatio. I like being licked like an ice cream cone," he said a bit shyly.
"Mmm, I love ice cream!" Fraser exclaimed. Ray burst out laughing.
"How 'bout you?"
"Sucking is the way to go," Fraser answered. "Licking tickles."
"Tickling turns me on."
"Tickling turns me off." Ray leaned back for a moment.
"You weren't kidding. This is gonna be tougher than I thought."
"We'll be fine," Fraser reassured him with a confidence he did not feel. "Let's just be completely honest with each other."
"Okay, let's start now. You talking dirty like that is turning me on." To prove his point, Ray took Fraser's hand and laid on his groin. Fraser licked his lower lip as he came in contact with Ray's slowly stiffening penis. He squeezed his hand experimentally and Ray moaned.
"I take it you like that?" Fraser teased.
"Mmm..." Ray answered, leaning back and pulling Fraser down with him. He reached down to find Fraser's own erection. "Looks like your Mountie has decided to join us." Fraser snickered.
"How about I kiss you?" he asked, but did not wait for permission. He wrapped his arms around Ray and pulled him close, drawing him into a deep kiss. Somehow, Ray's legs wrapped around Fraser's, grinding their groins together.
"Omigod..." Fraser gasped as a wave of pleasure went through him. He rubbed his groin against Ray's experimentally.
"Omigod!" Ray answered.
"Too much clothes!" Fraser panted, pulling at Ray's shirt in the same breath. He managed to yank it over the detective's head to reveal a smooth expanse of pale skin. Fraser tried to taste it but Ray was still pulling at the Mountie's shirt, struggling with the buttons. In their excitement, neither could get them undone. "Just rip it!" a very frustrated Fraser ordered. Ray was only too pleased to oblige.

Fraser's chest was pale and smooth, too, but thicker. While Fraser could trace the delicate pattern of Ray's ribs, Ray couldn't return the favour. He found other pleasure in nipping at the scar on Fraser's collarbone. In between licks and nibbles, Fraser explained how he'd come about the scar. In his explorations, he found two scars low down Ray's chest. He didn't have to ask. He'd read Ray's file and knew that his lover had been wounded in the line of duty and received three citations for his heroic actions.

Ray found Fraser's nipples and sucked them experimentally. Fraser arched his back with pleasure and he groaned at the contact
"God, Ray!" he panted. "More!" He reached around Ray to stroke his back, feeling the sinewy strength there.

In between kisses, they managed to unbutton the other's jeans, sliding them down hips that gyrated with pleasure at each contact with the other's hands. They finally managed to squirm out of the offending garments.

Ray was wearing briefs and Fraser had on boxer-brief shorts, the kind that were tight in all the right places. Fraser found himself kissing his way down Ray's body until he came to the waistband of the shorts. Ray had his hands tangled in Fraser's hair, pushing his Mountie against his body.
"Lower!" the detective panted. Fraser allowed a hand to dip into the briefs, coming in contact with moisture. He pulled back and licked it.
"You taste good, Ray!" he announced before pulling the shorts down.

Ray's fully erect penis was nestled in curly blond hair. Fraser rolled the hair between his fingers. It felt coarse and a little dry. He took the liberty of kissing the tip of Ray's cock. Ray bucked under him and Fraser opened his mouth, letting his lover in. The sound Ray made then was primal, almost inhuman, as Fraser proceeded to lick him just like Ray liked. His Ray was smooth and tangy, like a really good champagne.

The detective was disappointed that he didn't last long. It felt like only seconds had gone by before he exploding in Fraser's mouth without warning. Fraser choked, spewing Ray's cum all over the room. He coughed and gasped as Ray tried to pull himself together.
"Ben?"
"I'm okay!" Fraser wheezed. "You just took me by surprise!" He swallowed a few times. "How was it?" he asked once he'd recovered. Seeing that his partner was fine, Ray answered.
"Good!" he exclaimed, pleased. "I wish we could have come together."
"Practise makes perfect," Fraser teased.
"You didn't come," Ray said a tad guiltily.
"It's okay, Ray. The night is young." At that, Little Ray bounced back up at attention. Ray rolled over onto Fraser, yanking the Canadian's shorts down.

Fraser's cock looked hard as it stood in a thatch of moist, dark curls. Ray poked it for good measure and found that it could probably break a rock. Fraser giggled.
"That tickled!"
"Sorry!" Ray exclaimed, lowering his mouth to envelop the smooth organ. Fraser tasted bittersweet, like a good chocolate. The analogy was not lost on Ray as he started to suck his partner like a Tootsie Roll. Fraser bucked under him, driving himself deeper into Ray's mouth. Ray fought the gag reflex by swallowing.
"I'm going--" Fraser exclaimed, giving Ray just enough time to pull away before Fraser exploded, shooting thick, creamy cum straight in the air where it came back down onto his chest.

The lovers looked at one another.
"We need to work on this," Ray said very seriously which caused Fraser to laugh.
"Come and snuggle," he coaxed, pulling Ray down.
"You're sticky," Ray complained.
"So are you," Fraser answered. "Was it okay, Ray?" Ray smiled.
"Yeah. Not bad for a first time."
"I felt like a virgin," Fraser confessed. Ray snickered.
"Yeah, me, too."
"I'm still a virgin, sort of," Fraser continued. Ray opened his mouth to ask Fraser what he meant but didn't have to. When realisation hit, his lips formed a silent 'oh'.
"Ben, this is our first night..."
"I'm not interested in doing it to you, at least not right now," Fraser answered, stroking Ray's hair. "But I'd like it if you'd do it to me."
"It's sodomy," Ray said. Fraser shook his head.
"I hate that word. It's good for rapists, not for lovers. I want you to make love to me, Ray. Please?" They'd bought what they needed, but now that Ray was faced with reality, he wasn't sure anymore.
"I could hurt you..."
"No, you won't. Please?" Ray swallowed and nodded.
"'Kay..." The bag was on the floor by the bed, so Ray just rolled over and snatched it up. "You know how to do this?"
"Sure, Ray. I read a gay sex manual in my grand-mother's library."
"Really-- wait a minute, that was a joke!" Ray burst out laughing, reaching over to kiss Fraser. "Thanks, I needed that!" Then realisation hit. "I have no idea how to do this."
"Me neither. Let's just take it slow, okay?" Ray nodded. "Maybe start with fingers?"
"Yeah, fingers sound good. With a bit of lube." He lifted the bottle which Fraser took from him.

"Here, let me," Fraser said, squeezing some of the lube onto Ray's hand. Ray dipped the index finger of his right hand into the cold gel. He took a deep breath.
"Maybe on your side?" he asked. Fraser obliged, rolling into a tight ball, presenting a smooth, marble ass. "God, you're beautiful!" Ray managed to choke out, allowing himself to stroke the pale skin, planting a kiss on it. His trembling hand found it's way to the cleft, gently working its way in. Fraser writhed against him. "Okay?" Ray asked a tad concerned.
"Keep going!" Fraser urged. Ray took a deep breath, positioning his lubed finger at the entrance to Fraser's anus. He poked the opening experimentally and his finger slipped in. It was tough going.
"Try to relax, Ben," Ray urged. The pressure was off his finger, suddenly, and he was able to push it in all the way. "Okay?"
"Another one!" Fraser gasped. Though his lover couldn't see him, Ray nodded, pulling out the finger. Fraser expressed his dissatisfaction with a soft sigh.

The two fingers had a harder time working their way in. Fraser was wound up tighter than a spring.
"Try to relax," Ray coaxed, stroking a pale shoulder, kissing his way down the broad back, avoiding the Scar. Now was not the time to discuss it.
"Can you move them a little?" Fraser asked. Ray obliged, hitting something which caused Fraser to gasp. "Oh, god, do that again!" Fraser cried.
"This?" Ray asked, stroking the same spot again.
"Yes! Oh, do it, please!" Fraser begged.
"Maybe more fingers?!"
"Your cock!" Fraser screamed. Ray suppressed giggles as Fraser lost all sense of propriety. He pulled the fingers out. Fraser rolled over. "Let me help you with the condom."
"What kind?" Fraser laughed.
"Let's start with regular."
"Sounds good." Ray reached for the right box and pried it open, taking out a foil wrapped ring. He looked at it.
"I know what to do," Fraser reassured him, delicately unwrapping the condom. He reached down to kiss Ray's cock before proceeding to roll the condom on, all the way to the base. He paused for a moment to weigh Ray's scrotum, finding it pleasantly heavy. Fraser found himself even more turned on at the thought of that sack swinging at his ass each time Ray thrust into him. He then took the bottle of lube, squeezing out a generous portion, and gently slathered it onto Ray's cock. "I think we're ready," he said finally.
"Okay, good," Ray said. He waited as Fraser rolled over again. "Tell me if I'm hurting you, okay?"
"You know I will," Fraser promised.

Ray allowed his cock to play for a moment in the warm, tight confines between Fraser's ass cheeks before trying to penetrate his partner. Trying being the imperative word. Fraser was so tight, nothing could have gotten in.
"Ben, relax, pretend it's the fingers," Ray coaxed.
"I'm trying to relax!" Fraser exclaimed. "Maybe a different position?" Without waiting for an answer, he rolled onto his stomach, spreading his legs. Ray straddled him and urged his cock in. Still, no progress. "Try more lube!" Fraser suggested. Ray did as urged, but that didn't help.
"Maybe you could spread your legs a bit more?" he suggested.
"You're asking me to do the splits!"
"You can't do the splits?"
"Ray, I am a Mountie, not a ballerina!"

At that, both men burst out laughing. The tightness was gone, just like that, and Ray gave a little push. Fraser let out an unMountie-like shriek as Ray slipped deep inside him. As soon as he could, Ray assessed his lover's condition.
"Ben?"
"I'm okay!" Fraser gasped. "Oh, god, that hurts, but it feels good!"
"Can I move?"
"No, please, don't move! Let me get used to it, first!" An awkward half minute passed. "Try wiggling your hips," Fraser finally said and Ray was happy to oblige. "Ah!" Fraser screamed as Ray's cock touched his special spot. "Ah!" he screamed again.
"Ben?" Ray would never in a million years have guessed that Fraser was a screamer.
"More!" Fraser screamed. It was too much for Ray. He came, bucking three times as Fraser writhed under him, screaming his own pleasure.

Neither man knew how much time had passed since they'd come together. Ray was the first to recover the majority of his senses.
"Ben?" he mumbled into his lover's neck, too exhausted to raise his head.
"Mmm?"
"You okay?"
"Mmm."
"Is that a good mmm or a bad mmm?"
"More mmm." Ray laughed. He slowly pulled himself up, sliding his soft cock out of Fraser's ass. Fraser made a little annoyed sound as the fullness left him.
"I love you, Ben," Ray whispered, spooning himself against Fraser once he'd removed the condom.
"I love you, too, Ray," Fraser answered happily.

~*~

The first thing Ray felt the next morning was stickiness. It took a moment for him to realise why until the previous night's love making came back in earth shattering clarity. He looked over at Ben who was sleeping peacefully. Ray checked him over, his heart stopping when he saw blood on Fraser's ass. Bile rose in his throat. "Ben?" he whispered. Fraser stirred.
"What?" he asked sleepily, rolling over to smile at his lover.
"How you feeling?" Fraser gave him a dopey grin.
"Good!"
"There's blood..." Ray said, swallowing. Fraser frowned until realisation dawned.
"Oh, Ray!" he exclaimed, wrapping his arms around his trembling lover and pulling him close. "It was our first time! And it was great! I know I'll be a little stiff. It's too be expected. But you didn't hurt me so much as love me properly for the first time in my life." At that, Ray smiled.
"Really?" Fraser nodded.
"You were my best," he reassured the detective. "And I love you."
"I love you too," Ray answered. "I'm going to get a wash cloth, 'kay?" Fraser nodded.

Ray washed his lover with long, easy strokes, allowing Fraser to return the favour.
"How 'bout breakfast in bed for my favourite Mountie?" Ray asked.
"I'd like that. But I have to pee first!" Fraser eased himself out of bed, stretching the kinks out of his system. He took a few cautious steps, feeling a burning in his ass. It wasn't that bad, actually, a lot less worse than he had anticipated.
"You okay?" Ray asked, worried. Fraser grinned.
"I'm great!"

Breakfast was toast and eggs with coffee. The day was Sunday.

"We go back to the real world tomorrow," Ray sighed.
"Yeah," Fraser answered, swallowing the last bite of the delicious meal Ray had prepared. "We go back together." Ray nodded.
"No matter what the risk?"
"No matter what the risk. They all knew about Victoria and they'll know about you."
"We're gonna hurt some people, Ben," Ray said, not having to specify who.
"I know. I never promised them anything and she let you go a long time ago. You... You make me happy, Ray, and I want everyone to know it, to know that I'm only human and that I need you. I want to be able to hold your hand in public and kiss you and say, 'This is my boyfriend'. I have no problems with being your boyfriend. If they have problems, those problems are their's, not mine, not ours." Ray took his hand and kissed him.
"To forever, then."
"Yeah, to forever, then, no matter what the cost," Fraser reassured him. They sealed the agreement with a kiss.

"Ben?" Ray asked a moment later.
"Mmm?"
"Can I be on the bottom next time?"

The End