Title: Just Passing Time

Disclaimer: They aren't mine. They belong to someone else. But that's ok, I get to play with them.

Pairing: Fraser and RayK

Mail: Caffre19@hotmail.com


Note: This is a death story, so please be careful. However, its also full of sap, so that might be a giveaway that its not too bad. Thanks to Molly for the beta.


Ray is sitting at his desk. He looks all right, but I'm afraid he's not. He shuffles papers, he works hard, he has the highest clear-up rate of any officer in the 27th. Thing is though, he's a loose cannon. He just doesn't care anymore.

So here I am, sitting in the chair opposite him, and he's not saying anything. The place is almost empty, but I still can't offer him any comfort. I know there's no point.
He hasn't been listening to my words of caution. He just doesn't want to hear them.

He gets up, and as usual I follow, knowing he's heading home. The ride back to his place is too quiet. He doesn't seem to have much interest in music anymore. I know he hasn't danced in over a year, even when he's by himself.

He doesn't see the car before it ploughs into him, the impact crushing in his side of the car. The driver of the other vehicle flees the scene.

I look to check on him and he's bleeding badly. Its not just the chest wound, there's a horrible gash in his side. As usual I don't have a hair out of place.

“Ray! Ray, hang on, helps on the way.”

He looks at me now. I mean, really looks at me.

“Fraser? What are you…”?

“Ray, you just have to hang on ok? Help will be here soon, you just have to hang on!”

Ray smiled at me then, and I knew what he was thinking. I couldn't allow him to give up. I trace along his cheek with my hand, and he leans into it, but it obviously hurts him to do so and he coughs, the blood spilling out onto his chin and shirt.

“Ray, please, don't die…?”

“I…I don't think I got much of a choice here Ben.”

I can here the sirens now, but I can see it in his eyes. The energy, the passion that shines out of him is fading. Of course, I haven't really seen much of it since the murder last year.

“Ray?”

“I…want…”

I can see it as it happens. The light left in his eyes just…goes.

“Ray?”

He's gone. The police and fire-crews have arrived on the scene. But they're too late.

* * * * *

I'm sitting in a cabin quite like my old one, the wind is howling outside and the snow is falling hard. There isn't another soul for miles around.

Outside I can hear Dief, howling with pleasure at something. I smile and head to the door. However before I get a chance to open it, it bursts open.

“Damn but I'm cold!”

I envelope him in my arms and he wraps his around me, like he's afraid to let go. I pull my head away from where I'd buried it at his neck, smiling at him.

“It could be worse.”

“How could it be worse?” He's smiling too.

“You could be way too warm?”

He glances down at the ground, bringing his head back up with a laugh. Its been too long since I've heard him laugh. Way too long.

We finally separate, and he tears his coat off and heads for the fire I've got blazing. He settles in the soft chair with a sigh. I sit opposite him, and his eyes are burning again.

“So? What's with all the snow?”

I lean back comfortably into my own chair.

“Its my idea of heaven Ray. Home always was for me. Home. And you.”

He reaches for my hand, and I can't describe just how it affects me as I take hold of it in my own. He squeezes tight, a promise that now were finally together again, nothing, nothing is ever going to separate us.

We
've both reached heaven just by being together again.



The End

Comments? Caffre19@hotmail.com