Just Another Day:

By necessary angel

Pairing: Fraser/RayK

Rating: Not sure, a few naughty words and implied m/m slash maybe PG13?

Spoilers: Not one.

Author's notes: My contribution to the birthday challenge on the Serge List

Disclaimer: Just borrowing, no infringement intended.

 

Just Another Day

"Hey Vecchio! Do ya wanna grab a bite to eat with us?" Huey's voice is unexpectedly loud in his ear.

Kowalski jumps, grabs his cold coffee just as it is about to douse the case file he is reading and shakes his head.

"Na, I'm cool."

"Suit, ya self."

Kowalski watches the two detectives leave the bull pen with a faint frown. Fraser should have been here by now. His meticulous partner is never late for anything and he had been very firm that he would be at the 27th at one to meet for lunch. He'd even woken Kowalski at the stupid, unnaturally early hour he usually sneaked out of the apartment to remind him. Kowalski smiles as he recalls the kisses he had claimed as compensation for being awake before the rest of Chicago.

It is only quarter past one but his neck is tingling and he picks up his desk phone.

"Constable Fraser, please."

"I am afraid Constable Fraser is not on duty at present, may I take a message in his absence?"

"What d'ya mean he is not there?"

"He is off-duty this afternoon, is that Detective Vecchio?

"What time did he leave Turnbull?"

"About half an hour ago."

"Ok, thanks."

"No message then?"

"No! No, message."

Kowalski bangs the receiver down so hard that the phone bounces off his desk. "Oh fuck!" He leans down to pick it up, not noticing the odd buzz the maltreated device is making. Where the hell is Fraser? If the guy weren't so bloody medieval he would have a cell phone or pager. That's it I am getting him a cel either that or a fucking electronic tag. He bounces to his feet and grabs his jacket.

He is sliding his arms into the sleeves as he shoots out of the squad room door and clatters into someone entering the room.

"Hey, watch where the..." he looks up straight into Fraser's face. "Oh, Fraze I was just coming to look for ya."

"I am sorry I am late Ray. Mrs Thomas at the deli required my assistance, with some young thugs that were trying to cause damage."

"What, what were ya doing at the deli?" Never mind I am not sure I wanna know."

"Picking up our lunch." Fraser's voice is serene but he is smiling smugly, just slightly but it is definitely there.

"OK, spill Fraze."

"Not here Ray." Fraser's voice is low and soft in his ear. Kowalski shivers at the sparks the soft tickle of air on his neck triggers in his stomach.

"Where then?" He moves away from the subtle warmth of his partner's body. It is quiet in the squad room but Kowalski is shatteringly aware of how close they have been standing.

"Do you have time to drive us to the lake?"

"Yeah I guess, I am just doin' reports. Not a lot happening."

"Shall we?"

Kowalski follows the casually clad figure of his partner out to the GTO, shaking his head. Fraser is positively vibrating with excitement.

He concentrates on choosing the quickest route to the Lake and Fraser is strangely quiet.

"C'mon Fraze at least talk to me, even if ya won't tell me what ya up to?"

"Sorry Ray, I was just thinking."

"I didn't know you had the afternoon off?"

"How do you know?"

"I called the Consulate when you were late, I managed to get that much outta Turnbull. What is it some kinda of Canadian State Secret?"

"No, of course. I just..."

"It's okay Fraze, ya don't have to tell me everything ya know."

"Oh, dear. Ray, it's just that... Can we leave this until after lunch?"

"Sure, Fraze, it's no biggie, Ben." Kowalski glances across at him. Fraser's face is flushed and he is biting that lush lower lip.

Kowalski swallows back the urge to soothe the bite mark with his tongue and turns his attention back to driving.

"So what did ya get us for lunch?" Kowalski demands as they sit down on the quiet grassy spot that Fraser had directed him towards.

"Nothing very fancy." Fraser fishes in his backpack and hands him a paper sack. "I thought a little picnic would be nice."

"Don't care. I'm starving. Pastrami and Swiss, soda and what's this Ben?"

Fraser is watching him with a beaming smile "Why don't you open it, Ray?"

Kowalski turns over the thick white envelope in his hands, "OK, so I guess this is what has you all stirred up." He slides a careful finger under the flap and pulls out, a thick piece of white card and a letter on equally weighty paper. "What the hell? Plane tickets, New York" He lifts startled, shining eyes. "Oh God, Ben."

"So it's okay with you? I mean I wasn't sure but I wanted..."

"Ssh Ben, it's more than fine." Kowalski slides a finger over Fraser's mouth.

Fraser kisses the finger and moves his head back. "I wanted us to have a weekend, a few days when we can just be together without having to be careful, where I can wake up with you and not have to leave you. I want to go dancing with you, I want to have you to myself for a little while."

Kowalski wipes his eyes with the back of one lean hand. "It's perfect Ben, but these reservations and tickets are for tonight."

"Well it is your birthday. Happy Birthday Ray."

"Damn fool, romantic Canadians." He smiles as he reaches over and kisses Ben deeply, the little ache that has been in his chest all day has vanished.