The Due South Fiction Archive Entry

 

A Valentine To Remember


by
vicki tub

Disclaimer: i don't own them just looking after them

Author's Notes: I'd love to thank my beta Kat thank you so much for everything xxxx

Story Notes: none at all




A Valentine to Remember

Ben found himself wandering alone. Well, not entirely alone; Diefenbaker was with him. Ray was not there as he was going to be tied up all day with one meeting after another. As he was walking through the park, Ben came across a huge market just on the outskirts of it, selling everything from household cleansers to film and television memorabilia. That's where Ben found himself lingering the most, as all the television and film stuff fascinated him to no end.

Wandering around the stalls, Ben spotted a guppy it.) which made him laugh, remembering how he'd wanted as a child and the speech that he had to the city council trying to save their homes. Asking the price, Ben handed over the required amount before moving to look at the other stalls on display.

One stall in particular caught his eye at the far end of the market. It really only had Steve McQueen merchandise on sale, but knowing how Ray -- his Ray Kowalski -- would love some, Ben went to take a closer look at what was available. As he approached the table, Ben was greeted by a young lady. "Can I help you sir?" Her (green? Blue? Brown? Polka-dotted?) eyes sparkled as she addressed him.

Meeting her eyes and smiling, Ben replied. "Yes ma'm. Is all your merchandise the genuine article?"

"Yes sir," she assured him. "I can guarantee it. They are my uncle's. I suppose that's really were my uncle's. He left them to me when he passed away."

Ben shifted his feet, immediately sorry that he may have brought up a painful memory. When he spoke, concern was plain in his voice. "I'm sorry to hear that ma'm." The young lady bit her lip as she lowered her gaze. "Yeah, me too. My uncle wanted me to do good with them when the time was right and now I feel the time is right, you know?"

"That's very commendable. Are you selling them for charity, Ma'am?"

"Stevie. You can call me Steve. As you can tell my dad is a big fan of Steve McQueen as well." Smiling Ben thought of his Ray. "It's a lovely name, Stevie."

Stevie laughed. "Well, it's original. I like it, and anyway, it could be worse. They could have called me Stanley, even if I am a girl!"

Laughing now, Ben added, "Stanley is my partner's name -- Stanley Kowalski. His dad was a big fan as well."

Together they broke into a fit of giggles, "Oh, the poor guy has it way worse!" Steve laughed as the two of them returned their attention to the items for sale.

Stevie explained each item from the sunglasses and jacket that McQueen had worn in Bullitt to the car he had driven in that same film. For reasons of space, she added, the car was at home, but it was also for sale. She had tons of stuff, each piece very special to her. Ben could tell how Steve really cared about the collection and that it was important to her to find good homes for them. After arranging a price and paying, Ben was now the proud owner of the sunglasses, jacket, car and some driving gloves. Stevie told Ben that she would drop the car off later that evening, free of charge. Ben - being Ben -- insisted on paying anyway as the money was going to a very good cause.

Stevie touched Ben's shoulder before he left. "Your partner is going to love his Valentine's Day present. I hope I find someone who will love me like you love him someday."

Blushing deeply, Ben said, "I hope so too. Ray - that's what he goes by instead of Stanley -- Ray loves me more then anyone has ever had and I know you'll find someone good. You have a wonderful heart."

"Thank you Ben. I'll call you when I'm on my way, okay? See you this evening."

After they arranged a time, Ben set off home. Dinner was being ordered because in Ray's words "You are not I repeat not cooking on Valentine's. That's just not human, Ben."

*********

Ray arrived home really excited about this Valentine's Day - night -- whatever time it was. He would be with Ben and could not wait to kiss those sweet hot lips of his. To feel those arms around him, to feel their bodies move together as they danced -- it was sheer perfection. He patted his pocket, making sure the gift he'd chosen for Ben was still there. It was. Still smiling, Ray opened the door to their beautiful home.

As Ray took in what he saw upon entering, the warmth and love that was put into it wrapped him in a hug.

"Ben," he called. "Ben, where are you? Ben! I need my Ben love, love!" (The Coming from behind the door behind Ray, Ben wrapped his arms around Ray's waist, kissing his neck as he did so. "Hello, Ray."

Leaning back into the embrace and simply enjoying the feel of the solid bulk and warmth behind him, Ray said, "Hey, Ben. Love you."

After kissing Ray's neck some more, Ben turned him, moving to kiss his jaw line and then his lips, never losing contact. Ben couldn't help but smile against those lips that had him so addicted.

"Eventually they pulled away, but only because their need for breathing began to be stronger than their need for each other. Ray thought that 'happiness' was too poor a word to describe how good Ben always made him feel."

Hearing their stomachs growl made them laugh."We better eat, huh, Ben?" Taking Ben's hand, Ray led Ben to the table. The kitchen was filled with candles and scattered rose petals. The food was perfect and so was dessert. Ray was right; take-out was better tonight.

Ben could tell by Ray's fidgeting that the kid in Ray's head was screaming, `Is it presents time yet?" Taking pity on him, Ben got up. "Yes, Ray. It's present time. Would you like yours first?"

"Hell, yeah, Ben!" Ray exclaimed. He blushed and added, "I mean, I'd love to, Ben love."

Shaking his head and laughing as he walked to the closet, Ben took out a massive box which made Ray's eyes widen with surprise.

"Uh, Ben? What did you buy me -- a sled or something? A year's supply of pemmican?"

Giving Ray the are you unhinged look, "No, Ray, but I can put this back and get you that instead if you like," Ben teased. (I think Ray would shoot Ben if he got him all that pemmican - but I could also totally see Ray being thrilled over a sled. Tobogganing's fun, y'know!)

Taking the box from Ben, Ray grinned. "Nah, I'm good, thanks. Can I open it? Can I open it now or do you want yours first?"

Ben waved a hand at him. "No, that's quite alright, Ray. Go ahead; I can wait."

Eagerly tearing off the wrapping paper, Ray found Ben's card and opened it.

To the love of my life, You make me happier and more Loved then I've ever been, and I can't Wait for the rest of our lives together

Love Ben xxxx

Leaning over to kiss Ben, Ray murmured, "Same here, Ben. Same here."

Ray went back to opening the present. What was inside was not what he expected, not in a million years.

Looking up from the box to Ben and back to the box again, Ray asked in an awed voice, "Is this what I think it is, Ben?" He carefully lifted the jacket, glasses and gloves out of the box and slipped them on. They fit perfectly and felt wonderful. "Are they... I mean, is this the real Steve McQueen's stuff from Bullitt?"

"Yes, Ray," Ben assured him. "I even have the certificate to prove it, which should be in the box."

Ray could hardly believe it, and was actually speechless for a moment. Finally he blurted out, "Ben, this is just fantastic! Wow, thanks, Ben!"

Kissing Ray again, Ben said, "You're very welcome, Ray. I'm so glad you liked them."

"Like them?" Ray grinned. "I freaking love them! Are you ready for your present now?"

Ben smiled sweetly. "Yes, please, Ray."

Ray shyly handed Ben over the box. Ben read the card first:

Ben love

Thank you bringing the Light back into my world,

I love you forever and beyond

Love Ray xxx

"Love you too, Ray."

"Go on, go on, open it, willya!"

Laughing at Ray's impatience, Ben opened the box. Inside were keys and photos. The photos showed a newly built cabin right on the spot of his dad's old one which had burnt to the ground at Victoria's hands. (The evil wench! I never liked her.) Looking through the photos was getting harder through the tears that filled his eyes, tears of utter happiness.

Ray began to squirm, thinking he had maybe chosen wrong.

"Ray.. how, I mean when, who? I ... Ray, this is... Ray..."

A stuttering Ben was not something Ray - or anyone -- often saw.

"Well," Ray said modestly. "I made a few calls to Buck and Maggie, and your friends Mark, Innusiq and Eric. They helped and phoned and well... Did I do something wrong, Ben"?

"God, no! Ray, this is so perfect I can hardly believe it! Ray, how can I ever thank you enough for this?"

"Just enjoy it, Ben. I hope we can retire there someday."

Hugging Ray, Ben murmured, his voice overcome with emotion, "Me too, Ray. Me too."

Just then a loud car roared outside which made puzzled Ray. After a moment, the doorbell rang.

Ben twitched nervously. "Ah," he said. "She's here."

Following Ben to the door, Ray pestered. "Who? Who's here, Ben?"

"Steve, Ray."

Steve who Ray wanted to shout after him, but just then Ben opened the door to show a young lady standing there.

"Hello, Steve. It's good to see you again. Please come in."

Stepping in and seeing Ray was wearing the jacket, Steve smiled. "I see you liked your gifts."

Looking down at himself and back to Steve, Ray grinned back at her. "Yeah, I love them. Did you sell them to Ben?"

"Yeah, I did, and it really helped my charity. It's for the families left behind in the war, you know. Anyway, I'm just dropping off the other part of your Valentine's present." Seeing Ben blush, Ray exclaimed, "The other part...? Ben what did you do, you nut?"

"I bought you something that I think you'll love," Ben protested. "I couldn't help myself."

"You? You? Benton Fraser couldn't resist himself?" Ray teased. "Wow, it must be good."

Taking Ray's hand, Ben led him out to where Steve had parked the car. Ray went stock still, seeing what was parked there. Looking from Ben to Steve to the car and back, Ray tried several times to get his mouth to work.

"B-B.-B-Ben, is that is that what I think it is? Is that the car from 'Bullit'?"

"Yes, Ray, do you like it?"

Now Ray turned and gave Ben the are you unhinged look. "Hell yeah! Can I get in? Can I take it for a spin?"

Steve laughed, "It's your car now, Ray."

Taking the keys, Ray got in, still hardly believing that Ben had gone through so much trouble just for him. Plus he could not wait to show his dad. His dad already thought the sun shone out of him as it was, and he would be just as excited as his son.

Getting out of the car, Ray pulled Ben into an embrace that was enough to make other embraces jealous. They gazed deeply into each other's eyes. The love was so obvious and so strong that mere words like I love you were not needed.

Forehead to forehead they spoke. "Happy Valentines Day, my love."

Steve left them to it. Love that strong was rare and she hoped to have even a little bit of that someday. The two love birds kissed and danced their night away in the comfort of their loving home.


 

End A Valentine To Remember by vicki tub

Author and story notes above.

Please post a comment on this story.