The Due South Fiction Archive Entry

 

Watching Your Step 7


by
Vicki Tub

Disclaimer: Not mine looking after them. I will hand them back don't worry.

Author's Notes: Enjoy a bit of mush

Story Notes: Male/Male pairing

SequelTo: Watching Your Step 6


Chapter 7

Fraser got to his feet and clapped his hands, "Right you are Ray, lets get ready for the game".

Ray couldn't stop smiling but looked down at his one legged pants that he wore.

Ray bit his lip, "Ben I ah I've noting to wear that will go over my cast".

Fraser smiled, "Ray I thought you'd say that. So I took the liberty of purchasing some clothing for you".

Fraser handed Ray a Cubs carrier bag.

Ray took the bag, "Ben what's this"?

Fraser threw his eyes to heaven and chuckled, "Ray, Ray, Ray if you open the bag you will see".

Ray opened the bag like and excited child. Ray pulled out the new Cubs home jersey which had his name on the back. Ray also pulled out a Cub's tracksuit pants which had zips up both legs. So they would fit perfect over his cast. There was also a baseball cap and a foam finger in the bag. Ray was so moved that a tear fell from his eye.

Ray traced his name on the jersey with his finger, "Ben god no. this is just perfect thank you so much. Come here and give me a kiss will ya".

Fraser leaned down and kissed Ray softly, "I love you Ray. Now go put those on so we can go".

Ray made his way to the bathroom to change into his new clothes. Ray thought to himself, 'How did I get so lucky. Please don't let this be a dream'.

Ray came out of the bathroom changed and feeling great. Ray smiled on seeing Fraser. Fraser was dressed in jeans and a Cub's t-shirt and baseball cap.

Ray looked Fraser up and down, "Ben you look good. It really suites you know Ben".

Fraser blushed, "Thank you Ray. You look good yourself".

Ray was delighted to see that they had the use of the consulate car again. Ray saw that Fraser was carrying a small backpack.

Ray asked, "Ben what's in the bag"?

Fraser looked at Ray in the rear view mirror, "The tickets and passes, camera. A warmer jacket for you in case you need it and your pain medication just in case".

Ray giggled, "Proper preparation huh Ben. You're too good to me Ben".

Fraser's voice was full of affection, "I love doing things for you Ray. You make me happy".

Ray's heart melted no ever treated him this good before, "You make me happy, very, very happy Ben. I'm just sorry it took so long to tell you".

Ray was glad with the use of the consulate car and the fact that Fraser had parking passes. They could park where the players parked.

Ray's eyes nearly popped out of his head at the view of the playing field that they had. Ray had only been to a handful of games before and always sat up in the nose bleed seats.

Ray was bouncing with excited energy, "Ben this is great. You can actually see the players. Do you like it Ben"?

Fraser loved seeing Ray like this, happy and carefree, "Ray it's great. It's my first game. So I'm very happy it's with you".

Ray looked at Fraser with a wide eyed expression, "Ben you're in for a treat. It's great you'll love it".

Fraser couldn't stop laughing throughout the game. Ray was really animated nearly falling out of his wheelchair a few times. Fraser found himself joining in shouting for the Cub's.

Ray ate and drank so much that it baffled Fraser as to where it all went too. Fraser took a full roll of film during the game and put in a new one for more. The man that was sitting next to them kindly took a few of them together with the game going on in the back round.

Ray and Fraser enjoyed the game immensely even though the Cub's lost, Ray didn't care. Ray had such a fantastic time with Ben that's all that mattered right now to him.

Fraser put his hand on Ray's shoulder, "Ray did you enjoy that"?

Ray started chattering like an excited monkey, "Oh my god hell ya. It was the best ever. It really, really was. Thank you so much Ben love".

Fraser's eyes widened, "Ben love. I like that Ray. My Ray love".

Fraser started to roll Ray. Ray noticed that they were heading in the opposite direction to the exit.

Ray was confused, "Ben I ah think your going the wrong way"?

Fraser continued to walk, "Ray I don't think so. I was told that this is the right way to the locker room".

Ray's voice was surprised and, "Locker room"?

Fraser kept his voice as neutral as possible, Ok yes; I forgot to tell you Ray. I've arranged for you to meet the players in the locker room".

Ray nearly fell out of the wheelchair in shock, "WHAT. Ben you, oh my god. You're just yanking my chain right"?

Fraser laughed, "Ray I'm not yanking your chain. I'll yank something else later. No I wanted this to be a surprise Ray. It's why I brought two rolls of film so you can your photo taken with them all if you'd like"?

Ray sounded like a child at Christmas, "This greatness. This is true greatness. Do I want I want Ben".

When they got to the locker room entrance they were greeted by the team manager.

The manager pulled Fraser into a hug, "Hi Fraser. How are you"?

Ray watched feeling very confused as to how the manager knew Fraser.

The manager then turned to Ray shaking his hand, "So you must be the famous Ray, I'm always hearing about. I'm Jim. It was so nice of you to come".

Ray voice came out squeaky, "Thank you. It was great to be here".

Fraser laughed, "Jim Ray didn't know he was coming down here".

Jim's were kind, "Fraser always full of surprises eh. Come on in Ray, Fraser and mingle".

Ray met every player and each one was as nice as the other. Ray felt very welcome. Ray got his photo taken with each player. Ray was also given a bat that was used during the game and a signed jersey by the whole team and staff. Ray was convinced that he was in bed having the best dream ever. Stuff like this. Stuff this good never happens to him.

Ray was chatting with the kit man when Jim came over to him. Jim sat down next to him.

Jim spoke kindly, "How are you doing Ray"?

Ray shyly smiled, "It's been a fantastic day. I'm good".

Jim continued, "I've heard a lot about you. Fraser talks about you all the time. You're a good friend to him. Fraser needs that he thinks a lot of you, you know".

Ray's face turned red, "Well I think a lot about Ben, even more so recently. Ben is the best friend I've ever had. There is no one like Ben in the world".

They both looked to where Fraser stood talking to someone.

Jim cleared his throat, "Fraser tells me that you've saved his life many times".

Ray shook his head, "Ben well he saved mine. More then he'll ever know".

Jim got Ray's attention away from looking at Fraser, "Ray I've one more thing for you".

Jim handed Ray an envelope, "This Is for you. You're a good man Ray. If Fraser their loves you as much as I know he dose. And you do what you do everyday. You deserve this".

Ray wondered what it could possibly be. So Ray opened it.

Ray's eyes nearly popped out of his head and filled with tears when he saw what it was, "W-what's this"?.

Fraser saw Ray's face and ran over worried, "Ray what's wrong, are you ok"?

Ray stuttered, "I'm fine Ben. I'm great".

Ray turned to Jim, "Thank you so much. I can't believe this. I mean I".

Jim laughed, "Fraser Ray is fine. I just gave him those life time passes I was telling you about".

Fraser sighed in relief, "Ray you gave me a fright. Thank god you're ok".

Ray's tear filled eyes locked with Fraser's, "Ben you knew about these"?

Fraser patted Ray's knee, "Ray of course I did".

Ray again turned to Jim, "Really this means the world to me. I can't even find the right words to say thank you properly, sorry".

Jim put his hand on Ray's arm, "You're more then welcome. I'll stick your name on the door of the players lounge so you can come in after each game. That should round it off nicely. Make sure you bring Fraser her. I better be going got a meeting to go to. It was nice meeting you Ray, Fraser talk soon".

Fraser shook Jim's hand, "It was nice to meet you again Jim. Say hi to the family for me".

Ray chocked out a goodbye as well. Then Jim was gone to his meeting.

Fraser crouched down in front of Ray, "Ray you alright. Do you need something for the pain or something? Do you need to lye down for awhile"?

Ray smiled brightly, "I'm fine Ben, and ya all of the above. I could do with lying down".

Fraser got Ray back to the car and settled in. giving Ray his pain medication and a bottle of water.

Ray grabbed Fraser by the wrist before he could get away, "Ben truly thank you for today".

Fraser leaned into the car and kissed Ray sweetly, while no one was around so he could kiss him, "I love you Ray. I'm glad you had a great day".

Ray gave Fraser one last kiss, "Love Ya to Ben".

Fraser drove home with a huge smile on his face. Ray had fallen asleep clutching the bat and jersey he'd been given by the players.

Fraser couldn't believe that one Stanley Raymond Kowalski loved him. Ray actually really loved him.

Fraser whispered to whoever was listening, "How did I ever get so lucky to have Ray love me"?

Ray murmured in his sleep, "Love Ya Ben".


 

End Watching Your Step 7 by Vicki Tub

Author and story notes above.

Please post a comment on this story.