The Due South Fiction Archive Entry

 

Watching Your Step 5


by
Vicki Tub

Disclaimer: Not mine just looking after them will give them back.

Author's Notes: Enjoy

Story Notes: None so far

SequelTo: Watching Your Step 4


Chapter 5

Fraser as instructed by Inspector Thatcher headed back to the consulate to shower and change. Inspector Thatcher also told Fraser to try and get some rest.

While Fraser was in his office come bedroom collecting his shaving supplies Fraser heard the fax machine turn out a fax. Fraser picked up the fax and sat down to read it. The fax read:

Constable Fraser

Could you pass on a message to Ray. Tell Ray that Miss Jones no longer want to see him. Miss Jones dose not want Ray to contact her in anyway. Miss Jones has found someone new. Someone better in Everyway. Miss Jones is not coming back to the USA.

P.S: I am so sorry that I had to send this fax. I have resigned As a result of having to do this. I can not work for someone Who would do this. Please give Ray my best. Ray can do so Much better then her. Take care.

Miss Jones

Secretary

Fraser was stunned. Fraser felt sick to his stomach. How could she be so cruel? Miss Jones didn't even have the decency to write it herself. Miss Jones could have at least phoned Ray herself. She had to have her secretary do it.

Fraser put the fax down. Feeling heavy hearted, Fraser made his way to shower and shave before heading back to the hospital.

Fraser headed back to the hospital feeling the weight of what he had to tell Ray resting on his shoulders.

Fraser could see Inspector Thatcher and Lt Welsh standing outside Ray's hospital room door talking.

Welsh greeted Fraser warmly, "Constable you were fast".

Fraser didn't meet their eyes, "Yes Sir I just showered and shaved changed my clothes".

Inspector Thatcher noticed the look on Fraser's face. She could also feel Fraser's mood, "Fraser did something happen".

Fraser rubbed his eyebrow, "I can't say right now sir. I have to tell Ray first".

Welsh asked, "Fraser what's wrong. What happened to make you look like your wolf just got kicked"?.

Fraser shifted his feet, "While at the consulate just now a fax came in. the fax was from Miss Jones. Ray's so called girlfriend".

Inspector Thatcher snapped in surprise at Fraser's tone, "FRASER".

Fraser's face flushed, "I'm sorry sir. I don't like talking like that. I better speak to Ray".

Fraser took a breath and steeled himself to go into Ray's room.

Inspector Thatcher and Welsh wondered what could possibly have been in that fax. That would cause Fraser to act like that.

Fraser noticed when he entered Ray's room that Ray looked a lot brighter. This did not make it easier to tell Ray. Fraser thought, `God how am I going to do this'.

Ray's bright face turned brighter on seeing Fraser, "Hey Frase".

Fraser tried to smile, "Hello Ray. You look brighter. Ray you feeling better"?

Ray sensed that something was off. Fraser smile did not reach his eyes. Fraser's smiles always reached his eyes.

Ray touched Fraser's arm, "Frase what's wrong"?.

Ray got all three of Fraser's nervous ticks. The neck crack, the ear tug and the eyebrow rub. Ray knew what ever Fraser had to say was bad.

Fraser kept his voice low, "Ray while I was at the consulate getting freshened up. I heard back from Miss Jones".

Ray narrowed his eyes, "Sally, you heard back from Sally. What did she say"?.

Fraser rubbed his eyebrow, "I ah, am". Fraser paused.

Ray was getting worried now, "Come on Frase".

Fraser cleared his throat, "Ray I'm sorry but I got word that Miss Jones no longer wants to see you. I'm sorry Ray".

Ray sucked in a breath and teared up, "Frase, I know that you're holding out on more so spill".

Fraser could not look Ray in the eye as he spoke, "Ray she said that she found someone new. That she doesn't you to contact her again. I'm so sorry that you had to hear that from me Ray".

Ray turned his head to look out the window, "Did she say anything else. How did she sound"?

Fraser fell silent.

Ray couldn't stand the silence, "Frase come on. It's ok if you got mad at her and said something. I just want to know how she sounded".

Fraser gripped the guard rail of the bed, "Ray I didn't speak to Miss Jones. She-she sent a fax Ray. I'm sorry".

Ray's mouth dropped open. Ray was horrified, "Are you serious Frase"?.

Fraser nodded, "I'm sorry Ray".

Ray's eyes filled with tears that threatened to spill, "Frase is their something wrong with me. Why dose everyone I like and love leaves me. I'm surprised your still here".

Fraser tried to hide his emotions, "Ray I would never ever leave you. There is noting wrong with you. I'm sorry but Miss Jones was not worthy of your love Ray".

Fraser sounded so angry that Ray was taken aback by it.

Ray's voice came out cracked, "Frase that very nice of you to say. Fraser there's got to be something wrong with me. Even my parents left me for years".

Fraser's voice rose, "Ray look at me. There is noting wrong with you. You're strong, brave, kind, caring and loving. You're my best friend and partner. I will not allow you to sell yourself short".

Ray pulled Fraser into a hug, "Thanks Frase".

Fraser sat looking as miserable as Ray felt.

Ray looked at Fraser, "Frase thanks for saying all that. Look did you get any rest at all".

Fraser's smile was weak, "I had some lunch Ray. I'm fine. You just get yourself well that's all I ask".

Ray shook his heads, "Frase you don't have to sit here all the time you know. I'm sure you have better things to do then sit around and watch my skinny ass".

Fraser stood to make a point, "No Ray there is no where I'd rather be". Fraser blushed as to what he just admitted.

Fraser tried could dig himself out of that hole. The door opened and in walked Zara with Ray's dinner. Zara also brought a tray for Fraser.

Ray open the lid on his tray and whispered, "Oh joy dinner".

Zara and Fraser laughed at the faces Ray was pulling examining his food.

Ray had the nurses fussing over him all day. It was driving him nuts. The nurses were constantly asking when Fraser was coming in. Ray hated that he couldn't even to the toilet Ray had to use those stupid bedpans.

Fraser arrived with a real cup of coffee and fresh muffins as a treat for Ray.

Fraser was smiling warmly, "Morning Ray. I thought you might enjoy real coffee and some of sugar laced muffin's that you seem to enjoy"?.

Ray took them eagerly savouring the taste, "God I love you Ya Frase. Thanks buddy".

Fraser sat watching tear into the muffins, "You're most welcome Ray".

Ray sat back satisfied from his coffee and muffins, "They were great Fraser. You're a saint".

Fraser settled back in the chair, "What did you do this morning Ray"?.

Ray crossed his arms and started sulking, "Frase you know the fantasy of having a bed bath given to you by sexy nurses. Well Frase let me tell you. It's not sexy. It's not sexy at all. It's just plain embarrassing".

Fraser couldn't't help but laugh at the faced that Ray was pulling, "I'm sorry Ray. I'm sorry that you had the fantasy diminished".

Ray uncrossed his arms, "Yeah well. Frase when am I getting out of the hospital"?

Fraser stood by Ray's bed, "Ray you'll be allowed out when you can handle the crutches".

Ray brightened up, "Really greatness. Let's get on with it then".

Nurse Zara came in carry the crutches, "Good morning Ray. Are you ready to see how you get on with the crutches"?.

Ray nodded enthusiastically, "Yep Zara can't wait".

Zara was not looking at Ray. Zara was looking at Fraser, "Good morning Fraser".

Fraser smiled back at her, "Good morning Zara".

Ray was waving his arms, "Hey remember me the patient"?.

Zara smiled at Ray, Ray of course. Come on now and we'll try".

Ray got out with the help of Zara and Fraser. Ray lucky enough got the hang of the crutches really fast. Not before Fraser had to apologise for Ray's language.

Ray was finally realised into Fraser's care with a big, "GOOD LUCK", from the nurses.

Fraser laughed as he settled Ray into the wheelchair. To take him out of the hospital, "Believe me I've seen Ray worse. You think he was dying when he had a cold".

Ray sulked in the chair, "That's not buddies Fraser".

Fraser pushed Ray, "I'm sorry Ray, let's get you to the queen's bedroom. I think you'll be more comfortable".

Ray was glad to be getting out, "So Frase how are we getting home"?.

Fraser smiled more widely, "Ray Inspector Thatcher has sent the consulate car for you. She wanted you to travel in comfort".

Ray's mouth dropped open, "Inspector Thatcher sent the car they use for the big wigs. For the important people Frase. But I'm not important Frase".

Fraser stopping pushing the wheelchair and crouched in front of Ray, "Ray you are important. So please stop cutting yourself down. Ray yes that car".

Ray smiled brightly, "Thanks Frase. This is greatness, let's hit the road.

When they got to the car Fraser noticed their problem. Was getting Ray into the car. Ray wanted to do it himself. But the cast was heavy and awkward. So no way that was happening.

Ray was grabbed by a huge burly orderly. Who got Ray into the car? It made quite a show.

Ray crossed his arms and sulked, "That was not buddies Fraser laughing like that".

Fraser couldn't't stop laughing, "Ray I'm sorry".

Ray was sitting still there with his arms crossed and still sulking.

Fraser felt guilty.

Ray looked at Fraser, "Fraser it really wasn't funny".

Fraser crouched down, "Ray I'm sorry but you seemed to be rather having some difficulty".

Ray put his head up, "Frase ok I forgive you. I'm tired can we just go home"?.

Fraser nodded, "Certainly Ray".

Fraser then lifted up one of the seats and took out a bottle and a tall glass.

Fraser handed the glass to Ray, "Ray I know that you can't drink alcohol with your pain medication. But no one should travel in a car like this and not have a sparkling drink. So I got you some of the non alcoholic type".

Fraser poured Ray a glass.

Ray was filled with warmth for Fraser, "Now that IS buddies Frase. Thank you Benton buddy".

Fraser smiled at Ray, "It's my pleasure Ray. Relax now and we'll have you home in no time".

Ray was contented sitting in the back of the consulate car. Ray was feeling pretty good about himself for the first time in ages. It was all thanks to the man he actually loved with all his heart. That was Fraser".

Ray smiled and raised his glass to Fraser in the rear-view mirror, "Frase is the ice queen ok".

Fraser drove as he spoke, "Ray Inspector Thatcher is fine. She jut wanted you to be comfortable".

Fraser managed to get Ray out of the car with ease now he knew how to do it. Ray was thankful for that. Ray was also glad that Fraser didn't't call on Turnbull to help.

Ray balanced himself on his crutches. While Fraser took the bags, "Ray you ready"?.

Ray looked up at the consulate, "Ya Frase. I'm ready".

Ray stepped into the consulate and was greeted by a very enthusiastic wolf. Diefenbaker however did not jump up been careful of Ray's injuries.

Ray greeted warmly, "Hey Dief buddy".

Turnbull greeted Ray, "Welcome to Canada Detective Kowalski. I hope that you will be most comfortable in our very own queen's bedroom".

Ray shifted the crutches, "I'm sure I will thank you. Ray you can call me Ray".

Turnbull clapped his hands, Ray It is then".

Inspector Thatcher spoke softly, "Ray welcome. Just so you know there is a phone by your bed in case you need anything ok. Hope your recovery goes well".

Ray looked at her, "Thank you Inspector".

Fraser could see that Ray was tired, "Come on Ray and we'll get you settled in".

Ray answered, "Thanks Frase".

Fraser and Ray made their way up to the queen's bedroom.


 

End Watching Your Step 5 by Vicki Tub

Author and story notes above.

Please post a comment on this story.