The Due South Fiction Archive Entry

 

Watching Your Step 3


by
Vicki Tub

Disclaimer: Still not mine now i'm sulking lol. Ah i'll give them back just looking after them for awhile.

Author's Notes: Still enjoying i hope please let me know :)

Story Notes: None so Far yet again.

SequelTo: Watching Your Step 2


Chapter 3

Fraser signed the forms of consent so that they could do what they needed to do to help Ray. Fraser was sent to a private waiting room. Fraser paced as the images of Ray lying so still at the bottom of the stairs played around in his head. Fraser thought his heart would stop if Ray had died.

It wasn't long before Inspector Thatcher and Lt Welsh joined Fraser in the waiting room.

Inspector Thatcher remained quite.

Lt Welsh approached Fraser, "Fraser how is Ray. Has there been any word"?

Fraser's eyes were glistening with unshed tears. Fraser voice was shaky, "Ray his leg is clearly broken. When they took him through the doors Ray was in considerable pain. The doctor hasn't come in with any news yet".

Inspector Thatcher spoke but would not meet Fraser's eyes, "Fraser this is my entire fault. If I only had shouted to Detective Kowalski as soon as the tape had fallen The Detective wouldn't be here".

Fraser shook his head, "No sir. Sir If I had not asked Ray to help with the queen's bedroom. Ray wouldn't be lying here in pain".

Welsh put his hand up to stop them, "Fraser, Inspector. We both know how stubborn Kowalski can be. Ray wanted to help and noting would have stopped him. So don't beat yourselves up over it. Ray will be fine".

Both nodded but didn't speak.

Fraser cleared his throat, "Sir if I may. I would like to be put in charge of Ray's care, once Ray is realised from the hospital Sir. As Ray's accident took place on Canadian soil. I think it's only fitting Sir".

Tucking her hair behind her ear, "I was just going to suggest that Fraser. We will also cover all his medical bills. Also he can stay in the queen's bedroom until he is ready to go home. Do you understand Constable"?

Fraser looked her for a long while wondering what has gotten into her before answering, "Understood".

Inspector Thatcher left to get them all tea and coffee.

While Inspector Thatcher was gone it left Fraser alone with Lt Welsh.

Welsh spoke softly, "Fraser can I ask. What is the real reason for Ray not coming back into work today"?

Fraser shifted his feet, "Sir I'm not sure that Ray would want me to break a confidence"?

Welsh looked at Fraser for a long while, "It was Sally again wasn't it"?

Fraser just looked at Welsh. But didn't say a word and that was enough to confirm it for Welsh.

Welsh then smiled, "Fraser you're sure going to have your hands full with Ray though. God remember when he had that cold"?

Fraser chuckled, "God yes sir, God help me".

Both men laughed just as Inspector came back with their tea and coffee's. They sat in silence waiting for news on Ray.

Welsh suddenly spoke, "Fraser did you contact Sally yet"?

Fraser jumped up, "Oh dear no I forgot. Thank you for reminding me".

Fraser made his way out of the waiting room. Approaching the nurses station, "Excuse me ma'm would you know where there is a payphone please"?

The nurse beamed a seductive smile at him, "Sure sir just down at the end of the hall".

Fraser flashed a smile in return, "Thank you kindly". Fraser answered before heading for the payphone.

Fraser got to the phone and reluctantly picked up the receiver. Fraser dialled the contact number Ray had for Sally in Australia. It took a few minutes before the call was answered.

A kindly voice answered, "Miss Sally Jones office. How may I help you? This is her secretary speaking"?

Fraser answered as calm as he could, "Hi ma'm. I'm Constable Benton Fraser RCMP. May I speak with Miss Jones? It's really important"?

The secretary asked, "Constable what is this in reference to"?

Fraser rubbed his forehead, "Ma'm Miss Jones boyfriend Ray has been in an accident and is in the hospital. Ray asked that I contact Miss Jones for him".

The secretary gasped, "Oh my. I'm so sorry is he ok Constable. I hope it wasn't serious"?

Fraser was touched by her concern, "Not to serious no thank god. But Ray would like if Miss Jones was informed".

She answered kindly, "One moment Constable and I'll check for you. And constable I'm glad it wasn't serious".

Fraser sighed, "Thank you kindly". Fraser thought, `How can someone so nice work for someone like Miss Jones'.

Fraser was put on hold. The music that was been played only frayed Fraser's nerves more. It took a few minutes for the secretary came back on the phone.

Sounding Frustrated, "Constable I'm afraid Miss Jones said to tell you. That she is busy and is not to be disturbed. I'm sorry Constable. Sally is well. I'm sure that you know what she is like. Please wish Ray well and a speedy recovery from me. Again I'm sorry".

Fraser pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed, "I know ma'm. Thank you very kindly for trying. I'll pass on your very kind words to Ray. Have a good day".

Both hung up saying their goodbyes.

Putting the phone down a little harder then he normally would have. Fraser took a few minutes to compose himself before returning to the waiting room. Lt Welsh and Inspector Thatcher were waiting there for new on what Miss Jones had to say.

Fraser entered the waiting the room to where they were waiting. Both Inspector Thatcher and Welsh looked up at Fraser waiting for him to speak.

Fraser sat down and he was not looking happy. Fraser voice was tight as he spoke, "Miss Jones she said that she was busy and was not to be disturbed. Her secretary was very kind she sends her best to Ray".

Welsh stood fast on hearing what Fraser had told them.

Pacing and waving his arms, "That woman I swear. She is worse then that Stella Kowalski if that is possible. She is not right for Ray. Ray deserves better. It's beyond me why Ray is still seeing her".

Fraser was looking at his hand, "I agree Sir. I really have no idea myself".

They were getting frustrated at waiting. It felt as if they were waiting for hours. When the door opened in walked a very tall handsome doctor.

The doctor spoke with a calming voice, "Constable Fraser".

Fraser stood quickly, "Yes sir. I'm Constable Fraser".

The doctor smiled and shook Fraser's hand, "Nice to meet you Constable. I'm Dr Tubridy would you like to follow me. We can discuss Mr Kowalski in my office".

They walked down the hall to Dr Tubridy's office and sat down.

Dr Tubridy put the file down on the desk, "Constable Can I ask. How did Ray revive these injuries"?

Fraser tugged his ear, "Ray stepped on a roll of tape that had fallen from a box my superior was carrying. Ray fell down the stairs as a result of it".

Dr Tubridy nodded, "That would explain his injuries then".

Dr Tubridy started, "Constable, Mr Kowalski has suffered a compound Fracture of his right leg. Mr Kowalski has also suffered several cracked ribs and has a slight concussion. Mr Kowalski is a very lucky man to not have been more seriously injured. We are going to keep him for a few days. Once Mr Kowalski is realised he will need someone to keep an eye on him. Is there someone that can do that"?

Fraser rubbed his eyebrow, "Yes sir. I'll be looking after Ray. My superior officer has arranged for Ray to stay in the queen's bedroom at the consulate. Will Ray be alright Dr Tubridy"?

Dr Tubridy smiled, "Ray will be fine Constable".

Fraser was just anxious to see Ray, "Would it be ok if I went and sat with Ray for awhile"?

Dr Tubridy stood picking up the file, "That would be fine Constable. Ray is in room 501 on the second floor".

They shook hands, "Thank you kindly for looking after Ray Dr Tubridy".

Dr Tubridy answered, "My pleasure. I'll check on him later".

Fraser made his way to the waiting room. Inspector Thatcher and Welsh were waiting to hear what the doctor had to say about Ray`s condition. Fraser explained what Dr Tubridy had told him about Ray. They said their goodbyes and Fraser made his way up to Ray's room. Fraser's feet felt that a ton weight as he walked up the stairs to his room. Fraser was thinking all the way. `This is all my fault poor Ray is here because of me".


 

End Watching Your Step 3 by Vicki Tub

Author and story notes above.

Please post a comment on this story.