FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) & Inclusion Criteria
 
Q: Who is Julie?

A: I'm just an X-Files Fan Fic Fanatic. I also do a little writing of my own. I'm also a screen capture addict, and have obtained thousands of screen captures of my favorite X-Files men over that past year or so. The screen capture collections will continue to grow. You can view them on these pages:

Q: What is Fan Fic?

A: Fan Fic is fiction, usually short stories, written about characters from television shows or movies. In this case, the fan fiction is based on the TV Show, The X-Files (Official Site). Many times, the goal of a particular piece of fan fiction is to tell the story the way it should have been written, or to fill in missing scenes.
Q: What are Fan Fiction Categories?
A: Fan Fiction is often categorized based on which characters are central to the particular fan fic. For example, a story which focuses on the relationship between Walter Skinner and Alex Krycek would most likely have a category listing written like this: Sk/K or Skinner/Krycek.

The Categories you'll most likely see on this Recommendations site are:

  • Sk/K ~ Walter Skinner & Alex Krycek
  • Sk/M ~ Walter Skinner & Fox Mulder
  • Sk/Sc ~ Walter Skinner & Dana Scully
  • Sk/D ~ Walter Skinner & John Doggett - also written as SK/JD
  • M/K ~ Fox Mulder & Alex Krycek
  • Threesome ~ Any combination of three (or more) of the above characters in a romantic and/or sexual relationship.

Q: What is slash?
A: Slash is fiction that focuses on the romantic and/or sexual relationship between two or more men. Less frequently, it refers to a romantic or sexual relationship between two women.

Q: What are Fan Fic Ratings?
A: Fan Fic ratings are like movie ratings. They are guides that let the reader know something about the content of the story. G is for general audiences, even underage readers. Unqualified ratings such as "R" or "NC-17" often refer to the sexual content. If such a rating is given for another reason, that reason is usually stated. For example: "R for violence" or "NC-17 for non-consensual sex."
Q: What are some other fan fiction terms I should know?
A: See the following: X-Files Fan Fiction Glossary
Q: Where can I find other X-Files stories?
A: If you find a story here you like, you might want to find out what other stories that author has written. I've included a link to the author's web page when available. Not all authors have their own web site. In that case, you will want to try story archives.

Archives are web sites maintained by generous people who devote an amazing amount of time, energy, and talent in carefully preserving stories that are posted to various discussion lists, or stories sent to them by the author. The following are a list of story archives that I highly recommend:

Also try other story recommendation sites.

Q: Are there any X-Files fan fic discussion lists?
A: Slash Email Lists is a central place to find ALL slash and slash friendly lists, regardless of fandom or list server. Maintained by the Amazing Alice. The site contains a search engine that allows you to find just X-Files lists (over 71 X-Files lists included).
Q: Why is Julie making recommendations?
When I first learned about fan fiction, I was sure it would excruciatingly awful. And, some of the stuff out there really stinks. As Our Lady of the Biting-Wit - Dorothy Parker - once wrote, "This book should not be tossed aside lightly; it should be hurled with great force."

However, I have been pleased to learn that there are talented and gifted writers who share wonderful stories. Some times, my greatest finds have been recommendations from other readers. However, their seems to be a paucity of X-Files fan fiction recommendations web sites, so I decided to start my own.

Additionally, I want my favorite writers to know they are greatly appreciated - appreciated enough that someone took the time to create a web site honoring their work. Feedback keeps writers writing.

Q: What does "Remember to feed the authors" mean?
A: "Feeding the author" means taking the time to write them and let them know how you much you liked a particular story. If you, as a reader who has been touched by someone's heartfelt work, take the time to write the author and let them know.

Whenever possible, I try to include an e-mail address for each author on stories I recommend. Many authors write because they need to tell a story, but feedback keeps them writing. I know of good writers who have given up writing, because no one acknowledges their work. That is both sad and unnecessary, since a simple "thank you for this wonderful story" can make all the difference.

Q: How do you decide which stories to include on your recommendations list?
A: I have couple of criteria I use which helps me decide which stories get on my recommendations page.

  1. Whether or not the story stands the test of time. The stories you find here are tales I have read over and over. They don't lose their freshness or power to entertain.

  2. They have a happy, or at least hopeful, ending. I find that my real life is hard enough, as I struggle to keep a sick child alive. I'm not interested in downer fiction. I'm interested in escape. That doesn't mean I won't recommend a dark story...I will, if the ending gives me hope that the two (or more) key characters will end up together and happy.

Stories you won't find here include:

  • MSR - Mulder/Scully Relationship fiction. I don't read it, so I can't really recommend any. I don't have anything against MSR, or people who write MSR. It just doesn't do anything for me. I will, however, include stories of Mulder and Scully together when they are part of a threesome.

  • Female Slash - Again, I don't have anything against it, I just don't read it. I just doesn't do anything for me.

  • Non-Relationship Fiction - Staight X-Files stories are great, but the stories I read over and over are ones that are centered around a relationship.

 

.
 
Return to:
Recommendations by Date
Recommendations by Category
Recommendations Home