The Triple Agent Who Came in from the Cold
Book 1; Part 2
By: J Morningstar
Feedback: Please julie_morningstar@yahoo.com

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
~ Aldous Huxley

She didn't speak again as she turned her attention back to Skinner. He wanted to question her, ask her how they this hideaway, anything at all, just to hear the sound of her voice, but the sad and defeated look in her eyes alarmed him. He feared she was at the end of her endurance. So he swallowed his questions and helped her remove Skinner's clothing. Once the big man was naked, they turned him from side to side, drying his skin roughly with towels to bring warmth and blood flow to the cold and mottled flesh.

Alex chuckled under his breath. She looked at him sharply, and in response he raked his glance over Skinner's naked body and explained. "I guess I didn't realize that Skinner was such a stud." His grin was wry as he glanced pointedly at her belly and remarked, "But I guess you already knew that."

He ignored her cold and steady look and wrapped the big man in a thick and fluffy down comforter. Satisfied that Skinner was as warm and cozy as possible in the circumstances, he turned his attention back to Scully. She too needed to get warm and dry.

When he looked up to find her pointing a gun on him, he began to laugh. She narrowed her eyes, and this made him laugh even harder. Finally he sank to the hearth, his good arm holding his belly.

"You think you have something to laugh about, Krycek?"

He wiped his eyes as his laughter wore itself out. When he looked at her his gaze held humor and admiration. "Yeah Scully, I'm laughing at you. You know you won't kill me in cold blood. So what are you going to do?" He started to laugh again. "Arrest me?"

She closed her eyes, and let her arm fall. He was right, and she hated that. The world they had known was gone. Then she remembered all the reasons she hated this man, and it was all she could do to keep from throwing the gun at his arrogant head.

His look was gentle as he approached her and took the gun from her grasp. He laid it on the entry table, then turned to lead her towards the rear of the cabin. "Come on Scully," he coaxed. "You'll freeze in these wet clothes. You'll find something dry in the back bedroom. The sun earlier today heated the water in the solar collector. Should be enough for a warm shower or two."

She turned back to look at Skinner, clearly concerned for her boss and friend. Alex read her look and reassured her. "I'll keep an eye on him." When she hesitated he argued, "You'll be no good to him if you get sick." The gaze she leveled on him before leaving the room was full of warning. He returned it calmly, without rancor, and this somehow reassured her.

In the small kitchen area, he heated water for tea, keeping an eye on Skinner from across the breakfast bar. For Scully, he heated a more substantial meal of leftover stewed rabbit with wild onions.

When she returned, clean and warm, dressed in a sweats with thick fuzzy socks on her feet, she found him propping Skinner up, trying to get hot tea down his throat.

"Help me out here, will ya? This is hard to do with one hand." When she didn't move he looked up and found her staring at him. It wasn't hard to read her expression. She was trying to reconcile the Krycek she knew, who had beaten and killed her boss, with the Krycek who now was doing his best to keep that same man alive. "Scully? Don't try to figure it all out right now, Okay? Let's take care of Skinner first."

She joined him on the floor and if she wondered at the tenderness with which Krycek held the big man, she kept it to herself. She lifted the cup to Skinner's lips, and spoke to him gently, urging him to drink. The AD opened his eyes and stared at her blankly. But he was roused enough to swallow. Between them, they managed to empty half the mug, most of it down Skinner's throat.

Scully's open-mouthed yawn seemed to catch her by surprise. Alex urged her onto the sofa, where she curled up. He brought her a bowl of the stew and water to drink. Despite the cold, he knew how quickly one could become dehydrated. He watched over her as she picked suspiciously at the stew, and then was amazed at the speed with which she devoured it once she decided it was edible. Then he remembered - she's eating for two now. A dozen questions died stillborn on his tongue. Later, there would be time enough for explanations.

He found bedding for the two of them, and closed off the back of the cabin. He handed her a pillow and comforter, but didn't watch as she settled into the depths of the sofa. He pulled an armchair and ottoman next to the sofa, cocooned himself in a nest of blankets.

He should sleep. But he couldn't. He drank in the sight of Dana Scully and Walter Skinner. He tried to tell himself that it didn't matter who was here, that any human being would trigger the same response. But the truth was, other than maybe Mulder himself; he couldn't have asked for anything more than these two.

A hundred thousand invisible threads bound them together. They should have been just another assignment he carried out - orders to be followed, like dozens of others before and since. But somehow, the three of them, Scully, Skinner, and yes, even Mulder, left an indelible impression on his life. It was more than the knowledge that they stood for everything he was fighting for. They were – unforgettable. He had found himself drawn to them time and again, even though it was dangerous. Each encounter, every word, every dream or nightmare, every single thought of them - spun another silken link amongst them.

***********************

She wasn't sure what woke her, but awareness returned quickly as she remembered where she was. She rose to check on Skinner, only to find their host was already with the man.

"Krycek! What the hell do you think you're doing?"

Alex grinned at the agent unrepentantly. Scully had caught him in the act of disrobing. He was pleased to see the sharp look had returned to her eyes, and grinned impudently. "You're boyfriend here on the verge of checking out from hypothermia. Thought I'd try to save him, though I'll be damned if I know why."

She realized that the rattling noise that woke her was the appalling sound of Skinner's teeth chattering.

Alex continued to shed clothing until he stood naked and unashamed before her. He threw her a challenging glance, and then slipped under the blankets with Skinner, pressing his warm body to the man's chilled flesh. He looked up at Scully while he rubbed the man's chest and arms with his single hand. His voice was exasperated. "Are you going to join us? Or do you plan on letting him freeze to death." He realized that she was hesitant to strip in front of him. So he closed his eyes. After a long moment, he heard the rustle of falling clothes, and felt her slide under the blankets on Skinner's other side.

"Krycek." Her voice was a soft whisper, and he opened his eyes, to find Scully's head pillowed against Skinner other shoulder, their faces just inches apart. She had curved her swollen body against Skinner's bulk, and her hand hesitantly stroked the man's chest.

"What?" he asked.

"Why are you doing this?"

If she hoped for some kind of satisfaction, she bound for disappointment. His grin was wicked as he explained. "Maybe I've always had a secret wish to get naked with the two of you."

But Scully refused to bite at the red herring he tossed her. "You could have killed us both. You didn't even have to kill us. You could have just left us to die on the side of the mountain."

For long moments he was quiet, and when she finally looked over at him, he shrugged and with the movement, a flash of gold on his chest glittered in the firelight. Without thinking she reached out to touch it, lifting it up and leaning closer to examine it.

"It's a cross." She said, looking at Krycek, surprised and perplexed. "There's something odd about it."

"You only think it's odd because it's not your typical, boring Catholic cross." He rejoined. He shifted, pulling the chain over his head and handing it to her. "It's Byzantine. Russian Orthodox." He pointed out the various features as she held it up to the light. "The top bar represents the sign places over Christ's head. The middle bar, of course, is the one they nailed his arms to. And the bottom one is the footrest that supported his body."

Scully looked at him, wide-eyed. "My Grandmother gave it to me." He said defensively. "What's the matter Scully. Did you think I was hatched."

"No. No. I just didn't think..." She swallowed, the looked at him directly. "I didn't know you believed."

He grinned at her then, and she was startled to realize it didn't annoy her. "There aren't any atheists in foxholes Scully. Didn't your father teach you that?"

She handed it back to him, and he spoke, almost to himself. "I remember going to her house on feast days. The Nativity of the Theotokos in the fall. The Nativity of Our Lord – what you Westerners call "Christmas. We would eat until we were stuffed. She would pull down her icons, and tell us the Nativity story. One year she gave me this cross. To keep her Alexei safe, she said."

"Theotokos? God-bearer?"

"Yes. Theotokos is Mary, the Mother of God. We Russians reverie our Mothers, Scully. All mothers." He slanted a grin at her. "Maybe that's why I pulled you off the mountain and brought you here. Motherhood."

She pulled a face at him. "That might be believable if I didn't know how surprised you were when you lifted me on the horse."

He smiled then, and they were both quiet. At length, he asked the question she knew was coming. "So, what's the story then, behind..." he nodded toward her rounded abdomen.

She looked at him carefully, and replied. "I'm not ready to talk about it yet."

He nodded. This was something he understood. He had enough secrets of his own that would never see the light of day. He closed his eyes and settled into the warmth at Skinner's side.

Skinner's trembling had subsided, and his flesh began to feel warm against hers. Scully continued to stroke his chest, enjoying the rough fur and sculpted muscles. She felt uneasy with the thoughts that bubbled up; Krycek was right; Skinner had an remarkable physique. She remembered the first time she'd seen him in his shirt sleeves. The light from the window highlighted his broad shoulders and narrow waist, and her breath had caught in her throat. She was too smart to get caught up in an office infatuation, so she had diligently suppressed her attraction to the AD. But his appeal was hard to completely discount, and it had, over the years, caught her by surprise more than once. Sometimes all it took to set her pulse racing was the sight of him striding down the corridor, his physique and his confidence dwarfing every other man. Other times, it was the look of admiration in his eyes as he handed her back a report and told her the work was good. That single but compelling look could lift her spirits for the rest of the day.

She had come to expect from him a stability that she could never get from Mulder. And when it all came down, and it was clear that nothing they could do could halt the chain of events that was unfolding, he was there to pull her to safety. For the past several weeks, he'd kept her alive. Forcing her to go on when she wanted to fall to the ground. He was the only thing real in a world that no longer made sense. What if he died?

At her troubled murmur Alex opened his eyes to look at her, "He's going to be alright Scully." She didn't look comforted, so he tried another tact. "Hell Scully, if I couldn't kill him, a little cold water won't." He grabbed her hand and stilled it, cradling their fingers together in the hollow over Skinner's heart. His voice grumbled at her across Skinner's chest. "He's a Marine, damn it." After a long moment, his voice sleepy, he told her to go to sleep.

And she did.

**********************

He surfaced gradually, his brain foggy as he fought through layer upon layer of weariness. He slowly became aware that he was warm, almost too warm, and he wondered if this was what death was like. The effort to think was too costly, so he let himself float, experiencing sensations as they came to him, not pushing himself to comprehend.

He was on his side, and he twitched slightly, surprised to find that he was not alone. There was a small body next to his, and they were both naked. As his brain sluggishly processed information, he came to understand that the softness under his hand was a woman's breast. A perfect breast that arched into the palm of his hand. Surely he was dead, and he had somehow stumbled into heaven, in spite of everything. He suddenly ached to know who she was, this celestial being who had spooned herself into the curve of his body, but his stubborn eyelids were too heavy and refused to open.

Then he felt an arm tighten around him from behind. Two women at once? A foolish grin tumbled across his face. Maybe, just maybe, heaven was a place where fantasies were fulfilled. The body behind him shifted closer, and then he felt it, the length of a semi-erect penis along his backside. Thirty years fell away and he was back in ‘Nam, about to be initiated into the enticing and seductive pleasure of anal sex. Only this time, he was no virgin. He knew the burning rush of pleasure that came from being filled, and longed to feel it again. He arched his back, pushing his ass against the man behind him, silently urging him on. A sleepy and tantalizingly familiar voice asked, "You awake?" He thought that he might have grunted in reply. A hand laid itself against his forehead, and the voice whispered across his ear, making him shiver. "No fever, thank god." The arm pull him close, and Skinner growled low in his throat as he realized *his* penis was hard and weeping and pressing against the pert, feminine bottom curled in front of him. This was a heaven his conscious mind would never allow him to envision, a heaven he never knew he wanted. He felt lips press along his neck. Whispered words rippled along his skin. "Go back to sleep. You need to rest." Clever fingertips slid along his arm, then long fingers twined with his own. He wanted to protest - he didn't want to sleep. He ached bury himself in the body before him, and yearned to be filled by the body behind him. But sleep pulled at him, dragging him under. He sighed mournfully and slipped softly in to slumber.

************************************

 
Continue on to Part 3