Walker Universe Background Info



Now, for those of you unfamiliar with the series, here is basic info on the Walker universe and bit of info on the main characters of “Walker: Texas Ranger” and “Sons of Thunder”.




The Texas Rangers:

For those who are unaware, the Texas Rangers (and I don’t mean the baseball team) are Texas’ own version of the FBI. They are the crème de la crème of Texas law enforcement.

According to the official site, there are currently (as of September 1, 2000) only 118 of them (commissioned officers) at any given time. A spot in the Rangers only opens up when someone leaves, generally either by death or retirement.

While they do have 6 regional headquarters across the state, unlike in the series, each individual Ranger is responsible for a *minimum* of 2 to 3 counties in the state.

And they can handle the job.

Is it any wonder we have an old saying: “One Riot, One Ranger”?
(Yes, I’m Texas born and bred. Deal with it! heh)

For more information, check out the following official sites:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/texas_rangers/
http://www.texasranger.org/




Cast Lists and Pics: (So you know what the lovelies look like!)

Click on the small pictures for the character’s individual pic page.


Walker: Texas Ranger:



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sons of Thunder:







I just had to include this pic here. It’s my favorite!
Shane Meier (without the hair extensions he wore for the part of
Matthew Shepard) – this is the way he looked as Tommy.
Younger, of course…)




MY! Doesn’t the boy look hot?! Can I keep him?

Well, I guess Penn can, anyway, ’cause *this* is the way Tommy Malloy looks in Curses & Cures! heh



Just for fun, here is a picture of Tommy, Carlos and Trent. They were working on getting the dojo up and running, I believe…


(Screen Cap from USA Network)



The Characters & Show History:

Cordell Walker is half-Cherokee. He saw his parents murdered as a boy (10 years old, I think). After their deaths, he went to live with his father’s brother (Uncle Ray) on the reservation in north Texas. There he learned the ways of his father’s people and became a true Cherokee. He can track and he gets visions occasionally and his instincts are always right on target. He can just sense things about people and situations. He also became a top-notch martial artist and a Texas Ranger. He is married to Alex Cahill-Walker, an assistant district attorney in Dallas and they have a baby daughter. She also runs the H.O.P.E. Center (Help Our People Excel), which is, in part, a battered women’s shelter.

Walker’s partner in the Rangers is James (Jimmy) Trivette. Trivette is a former pro football player. (It said so in the series premiere.) He is black and used to have trouble with cops stopping him – a black man in an expensive sports car must be a drug dealer, right? Of course, when they recognized him as a pro ball player… Idiots! After he retired from the game due to an injury, he went into law enforcement. Anyway, once upon a time, Jimmy was working a riot (as a cop) and he was cornered in an alley by a fairly large group and this shadow appeared behind them, warning them off. Of course, they attacked the guy. He took them down in no time, without firing a shot. That was Walker. Jimmy says that was the night he finally understood the saying, “One riot, one Ranger.” He decided he wanted to be one, applied and, when a position opened, he was accepted. Eventually, he was partnered with his hero. He trusts Walker’s instincts implicitly.




Walker was good friends with a Christian minister named Thunder Malloy, and his family. [Wife: Katie, children: Trenton (30ish), Thomas (16), Tyler (12) and Tandy (10) – Ages stated are when they first appeared in the Walker Universe. This story takes place two or three years later.] Trent was brought in when his father died. Thunder Malloy was a truly good man who fought against bigotry and injustice his entire life. He wanted Trent to become a preacher, too, but he “ran away and joined the army”. heh.

Trent and Carlos Sandoval were best friends from the time they were small children. There was an accident with a gun when they were preteens and another friend was killed. Carlos dealt and moved on, but Trent *still* hates guns. He doesn’t even like to touch them. Of course, he knows *how* to use them due to his army training, but he doesn’t carry one. Walker started training Trent in martial arts to help him cope with his friend’s death and the accompanying guilt. When Trent joined the army, he was so good at martial arts, he became a hand to hand instructor and thus was able to minimize his contact with guns. After Thunder’s death, Trent got a hardship discharge, as his family’s sole means of support. He opened a dojo and worked as a private investigator on the side. Walker helped him set it all up.

Trent also assists Walker in the “Kick Start” Program – a real life program developed by Chuck Norris in 1990. (More information can be found at http://www.chucknorris.com/.) The program was originally intended to help kids stay off drugs. However, Chuck Norris says, “Within a couple of years of implementation, it became quite clear from evaluation that the impact of the program was much more than helping youngsters resist drugs. Today, our organization is a character building, life-skills program whose fundamental purpose is to give our students the tools to strengthen their self image. When a child develops a strong sense of self-awareness and inner strength, they are able to resist peer pressure including drug and alcohol use and involvement in gangs. In addition, martial arts training provides them with the core values and philosophies associated with leading a productive and healthy life. That is what we are all about… to give every child a chance for a productive life in which they CAN achieve their goals and dreams.” (This quote comes from the Kick Drugs page of Mr Norris’ Official Website.)




The Rangers often work with local law enforcement. That is how the viewers were introduced to Dallas PD Detective Carlos Sandoval, though Walker had known him since he was a child. Carlos has several siblings, including an older sister who has a (young) married daughter. (Uncle Carlos thought they were too young to get married, but events on the series caused him to change his mind.) Carlos lost an older (and apparently only) brother to a drug dealer. His brother was trying to get out – not deal anymore – and the boss shot him for it.

Carlos and Trent are practically joined at the hip. There is a big difference though. Carlos keeps trying to get Trent to double-date with him, but Trent isn't interested. Carlos likes them young. 21, 22... Trent says Carlos likes girls and he (Trent) likes women. (Of course, for us slashers, there is a different reason altogether… heh…)

Carlos was targeted by a serial killer – in the “Look what I did and you can’t stop me, you weak, pathetic cop!” sense. The guy murdered Carlos’ partner in front of him after Carlos made the mistake of putting his gun down so the guy wouldn’t shoot her. After the case was wrapped up, Carlos turned in his badge and joined up with Trent at Thunder Investigations. (Thus “Sons of Thunder”.)

Carlos is also incredibly loyal. Carlos has a true phobia of heights, but he climbed up on a catwalk to save Trent when his life was in danger during a case. He’s *still* afraid of heights. Only his love for his friend enabled him to temporarily overcome his fear.

(And *some* “Sons of Thunder” fans get all huffy and indignant over these two being slashed! I mean, YES, it’s possible for two straight guys to be that close and love each other in a non-sexual way, but that’s no reason to spoil *MY* fun!)




As with Angel, I have also messed around with the timeline of the Walker universe. This takes place during “Walker”, season 7, a few months after the final episode of “Sons of Thunder”. Technically, that series finalé took place in late spring of 1999 and it is now mid-autumn, but the year has changed and is synchronous with the relevant Quantum Xander dimension version of “Angel”, mid-season 3, in which this story is set.

This means that Texas Ranger Cordell Walker and Assistant District Attorney Alex Cahill are still engaged and planning their wedding. (No, they are not living together. That wouldn’t be “Walker”.) Trent Malloy and Carlos Sandoval are working together as private investigators at Thunder Investigations (located in Dallas’ West End – in downtown Dallas – above the bar, Uppercuts) and Trent is still teaching karate on the side at Thunder Karate (located in Deep Ellum, just outside of downtown Dallas).

(Note: Both of the these areas are cultural in their own way. The West End has a lot of shops and restaurants and is right by the building from which Lee Harvey Oswald fired his infamous shots. Deep Ellum is famous for its cool-looking graffiti, tattoo parlors and nightclubs – especially those of the “alternative” variety. Meaning not-so-trendy, but more goth, punk, etc…)




Also, Trent didn’t have a sibling of the correct age for my purposes – particularly, there was not a sibling in their early 20s. Rather than use one I created, I have “aged up” the eldest of Trent’s brothers. Tommy would be approximately 18 or 19 and I have aged him up to 22 or 23. As such, he is attending college, as a graduate student, at the fictional Texas State in Dallas that has played a part in several Walker: Texas Ranger episodes. He is working as a TA and a part-time bartender at Uppercuts. Protective big brother, Trent is okay with his little brother working in the bar for several reasons. 1) His PI office is just upstairs; 2) He hangs out there a lot; 3) Butch (bar owner and former pro boxer – heavyweight) will look out for him as if he were his own; and 4) Tommy is an advanced black belt – and he’s won tournaments.




That should be plenty of background info on the Walker Universe. You really don’t have to know anything else to enjoy the story. If anything comes up, I’ll add it or explain it in the story itself.




Here are some Official Site Links:
http://www.chucknorris.com/
http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/walker/
http://www.usanetwork.com/series/walker/

Here are few more links to fan sites.
Be warned: Some are vehemently anti-slash.
http://www.angelfire.com/md/sot/webring.html
http://www.geocities.com/moon_glow69ca/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Mesa/7371/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Trailer/2363/thunderkarate.html


Just so you know… I don’t own any of the pictures and I am not responsible for any of the screen captures on this page. ~ Vigdis




Contact Me

Back to “Curses & Cures” Page

Back to Vigdis’ Page

Back to Misc Fandoms

Back to Crossovers

Back to BTVS/AtS FanFic

Back to Adult FanFic

Home