Some things about humans are timeless, existing through centuries, through millennium, with so little change that the first Homo erectus could recognize the behavior as easily as the last Homo sapiens.  Man's fascination with fire is one of those eternal traits, one that manifests itself whether it is a forest fire or a candle that is burning.  If there is any doubt to that truth, light a campfire, and watch how everyone within sight of it will be drawn, almost magically, to watch the flicker of the flames, to follow with wondering eyes the trails of ash and ember as they fly upward, to share its warmth.

 

Almost inevitably, someone will start a story, either a tall tale meant to amuse or a nostalgic recollection of the past.  And slowly but surely any child within hearing distance will find their way to an accommodating lap, or a warm side to hug into, listening to the words of their elders and sometimes begging for a favorite. 

 

Test, all of five years old, snuggled into Sentinel's lap, and asked dreamily, partly mesmerized by the age-old call of the flame, tired from a day filled with new ideas, new people,"Has it always been like this?  Is it like this *ev'where*?"

 

The adults traded looks, but Shaman said softly, "No, child.  Only the sky and our spirits are eternal and unchanging.  Man has his good times, and his bad." 

 

"You're talking about the Chaos."  Test stirred himself, sitting a little straighter, curiosity burning away his sleepiness.  "Was it that diff'rnt, *really?*"

 

"Yes, it was," Sentinel said calmly, though all present looked saddened or angry or frustrated at the memory of what had been.  "Yes, it was...."

 

 

PAST TENSE 

 

From their eyrie overlooking the only accessible entry to their current strong hold, Shaman watched the hunters return for the day.  As Sentinel had told him, they were burdened.  Good, there would be meat for the fires this evening.  He stood to acknowledge their approach, and let the sentries know that that the perimeter was theirs, now.

 

Traditionally, once the twilight came, Sentinel was free from duty until the last hours before dawn.  Attacks came seldom in the waning of the day - no one wanted to be beyond the safety of fires when the night beasts came out to feed.  To be truthful, it was only the beasts they watched for now.  Having Sentinel and Shaman had proved over the years to be too formidable an advantage against the ravagers and rogues.  Their territory was generally avoided, these days.

 

Shaman walked over to the pallet where Sentinel lay.  They would sleep, for a time, then climb down to spend the evening by the fires.  Council would be sought, and given; fighters and hunters would share exploits and information.  He would give lessons to the children, spending a few precious hours trying to save some of what was being lost, almost daily.

 

Glancing back over his shoulder at the ruins of the city in the far distance, Shaman shuddered.  So much had been lost.  Survival took almost all the time they had, and even children were pressed into finding and preserving food, or learning to fight. 

 

He gave the children what he could from the rich heritage that they would never fully claim.  By the time they were parents, he had no doubt what was left of the magnificent city of his youth would be attributed to the work of malevolent gods, and treated with superstitious fear.  The trend was there already, in the stories the children told each other as they worked.

 

Sighing, he too, laid down, fitting himself to the dear, familiar back of his Sentinel.  Always, always among the children he looked for another to take this one's place.  Once or twice, Sentinel, playing with a child, would look at his partner, and the knowledge would pass between them that *this* one could be a guide, if a sentinel would chose him/her. 

 

But not even among his own children had they found one who seemed to possess even one of the gifts.  Sighing again, Shaman rubbed his face against Sentinel's back.  This one was fit, strong for his years, but he was coming all too quickly to the time when his life would be lost to age or the harshness of life in this time.  Shaman had no desire to be left behind, becoming Teacher, waiting patiently, perhaps fruitlessly, for another sentinel to be born.  When his Sentinel walked the spirit trail, he wanted to go with him, not stay to teach another pair the pitfalls and blessings of the Gifts.

 

"You're troubled."  Sentinel turned and gathered Shaman to him. 

 

"Thinking too much again."

 

"I know a cure for that."  So saying, Sentinel captured his soft lips, kissing him gently, but thoroughly.

 

Gasping, Shaman pulled away.  "Tara will *not* like it if you give me what's owed her.  I don't particularly want her complaining about it to the Council, either."

 

"Tara's time is nearly over," Sentinel replied, brushing his lover's hair away from his forehead, and letting the strands slip like water through his fingers.  "She hasn't conceived, and when she has her moon-time again, I'll return to our lodge."

 

"And *we* will have until midwinter before you must take another.  No one has spoken to me, yet.  Maybe a lottery this time?"  Despite his attempts to remind them of their duty, Shaman was running his fingertips over Sentinel's chest, plucking at the nubs there.

 

"Mmm," was Sentinel's disinterested reply, and he kissed the smaller man, again.  He lifted himself to cover his lover, matching groin to groin, stroking his burgeoning arousal into the welcoming heat. 

 

Though Sentinel sometimes insisted on loving Shaman with his hands or mouth when bedding with a woman, they usually preferred to wait until the times when they could share their pleasure.  It had been far too long since they had had that luxury, and the thrill of being together again was too much.

 

Before he could react, Sentinel began ripping clothing away, desperate for the full contact of being skin-to-skin, plundering Shaman's mouth voraciously.  Eagerly, Shaman clung to him, already shaking with the intensity of sensation from the kiss, his lover's roving hands, and the demands of his own body.

 

"Tell me," Sentinel panted into his ear, "tell me."

 

"Others touch me, but only you hold me," Shaman began, somewhat breathlessly.  "Others claim me, but only you possess me.  For the others, I am only illusion.  You alone know the substance.  If I had my will, no other would ever know me like this."  The litany comforted like always; aroused, like always, and he nearly shouted the last words as Sentinel entered him.

 

"Mine," Sentinel moaned, thrusting, "mine, mine."

 

Suddenly, fiercely, Shaman shoved, and rolled, sending the bigger man to his back.  He drew his knees up his mate's side, and sat heavily, taking his companion's manhood completely.  Biting back a yell, Sentinel bucked, but Shaman held him in place, refusing to move until his lover met his eyes.

 

"Tell *me,*" he demanded, tightening his inner muscles as he did, "Tell me!"

 

Gentleness bloomed unexpectedly in Sentinel's face, and he reached up to trace the line of his partner's jaw with a trembling finger.  As Shaman began to ride, sending them into climax, he whispered brokenly, "Everything I want, everything I need is right here, right now, with you.  The only good thing that's come from this disaster is that I have you.  I love you, Blair Sandburg."

 

 

next                                                              home