Missing Scene--Pilot by Surreal Feedback: surreal666@hotmail.com Disclaimer: Not mine, never will be. I live vicariously through these people. Archive: LGM mailing list Summery: First installment of the Missing Scenes series, where I will fill in my version of events that we don't see on the screen. This week: Pilot. ******** "This is his son," Byers’ voice was softer than before, just a touch of fear but for the two men who knew him better than he often knew himself, the anxiety in his words came out loud and clear. As Byers listened in the growing silence, Langly and Frohike exchanged a worried, questioning look. Swallowing audibly, Byers' head dropped and he closed his eyes. "Yes, thank you. I--thank you," he mumbled, the hand reaching to hang up the phone shaking badly. "Hey, buddy--everything okay?" Frohike asked apprehensively, wincing at how lame that sounded. Obviously everything wasn't 'okay', the way the younger man was visibly shaken. Byers glanced over his shoulder briefly. "No," he replied, barely a whisper. His hand clutched the edge of the table in an effort to remain on his feet. Langly saw how badly his friend was struggling and rushed forward, one hand pressed firmly to Byers' back, the other on his arm to gently guide him to the stool next to the table, silently sitting him down. Frohike moved to stand in front of the trembling man, carefully put his hands on Byers' arms and holding his focus. "Hey, it's okay, we're right here," he assured Byers softly, rubbing his arms. "You wanna tell us what's going on? What that call was about?" The seated man shook his head slightly, his gaze fixed on the table next to him. "That...it was the police," he started quietly. "My...my father's car ran off the road and--" his voice broke and he choked back the emotions threatening to overwhelm him. "...he's dead," he finally said, disbelief coloring his words. "God, he's dead..." "Jesus, dude..." Langly muttered from behind him, the hand gripping Byers' shoulder tightening in support. He felt helpless, unable to do anything but stand by and watch his closest friend struggle to come to terms with the sudden loss. With a sharp gasp, Byers finally let go. Slumping forward, he let the tears fall and found himself enveloped in Frohike's arms, and welcomed the friendly comfort. Langly felt the ragged sobs as he gently smoothed his hand over Byers' back, offering what little support he could as he stared at the floor uncomfortably. After a while Byers came back to them, sniffling quietly and wiping his face with his sleeve. His cheeks were flushed, part from his tears and part from his embarrassment at having lost control in front of the other two. "M'sorry," he mumbled apologetically. Frohike gave him a questioning look and the younger man nodded, a silent reassurance that he was all right. Frohike gave him a gentle smile. "Listen, there's a lot of stuff to be taken care of. You got some calls to make, right?" Byers nodded, sniffing again. "Okay. Just tell us what you need us to do and we'll do it, all right?" Byers looked up sharply. "No, this has nothing to do with you guys, I can't ask you to get involved," he argued. "Hey, man - no way we're gonna let you go this alone," Langly told him firmly, his hand again wrapping around Byers' shoulder. Byers looked between them, a faint, appreciative smile on his lips. "Thanks, guys. Really, that means a lot." ************ End.