Disclaimer: This story was written purely for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of other fans. In no way do I make a profit off of it, and I recognize that the copyrights to the various characters belong to Paramount and Pet Fly Productions.

Acknowledgements: A special thanks to Wolfpup without whose encouragement and whip, this story probably would not have been completed. And to Wanda for beta reading this puppy and her insightful suggestions.


DOUBLE INDEMNITY

StarPlaza


It was one of those rare yet magnificently beautiful days in Cascade and the students of Rainier University were enjoying it to the fullest. All over the campus students could be seen picnicking, rollerblading or just sprawled out in the grass enjoying the warmth of the sun.

Across the quad a young man with long blonde hair was indulging in a rousing game of catch frisbee with his dog. The playful mixed breed waited eagerly for his master to toss the frisbee, his hind quarters trembling in anticipation. Finally the frisbee was thrown and the dog leapt, teeth reaching only to close on empty air as the frisbee sailed over his head and into the nearby woods. Bounding quickly after it the dog disappeared into the dense brush.

The young man waited a few minutes then began to grow concerned as his dog failed to return. He whistled and then called out, "Andro? Here boy!" The furrows of his brow deepened when after a few more minutes the dog still had not reappeared. Entering the woods at the exact spot he had seen the dog disappear he began calling Andro's name. A few moments later his summons were rewarded as a whine reached his ears.

Following the sound he soon came upon the dog and the gruesome remains of a man's decomposing body. " OH GOD!" he gasped, then turning away from the grizzly remains he promptly threw up in the bushes.


Blair Sandburg glanced around the room as he continued his lecture, disappointed to discover that the majority of his students were 'no't paying attention. Their interest seem to lay outside of these four walls, outside in the sunshine and warmth. With a rueful smile of recognition, he commiserated and momentarily considered releasing the class early. He hesitated, calling the words back. The responsible part of him had reared it's ugly head as he recalled his responsibility to the students. With a reluctant sigh he cleared his throat and continued with the lecture telling himself, after all, there is only twenty more minutes left.

Once again immersed in his subject Blair didn't realize that he held the rapt attention of at least one individual in the room. Smoky gray eyes, half hidden by long brown hair, followed his every move and gesture. The nondescript individual appeared mesmerized. Not so much by the topic but by Blair himself. In the mass exodus that occurred the moment Blair dismissed his students, the reticent individual slipped out with the others. The young anthropologist totally unaware of being the object of such intense scrutiny.


Simon Banks, Captain of the Cascade P.D. replaced the phone in it's cradle and let lose the breath he hadn't even realized he was holding. When the call first came in about a body being found on university property it felt as if someone had kicked him in the chest and he just 'knew' it was Sandburg. It wasn't until after the caller had informed him of the body's decomposed state that he realized it wasn't Blair. And thank god for that! Had it been Blair, Simon knew he would have not one, but two casualties on his hands. Because if Sandburg was dead, there was no doubt in his mind that Sandburg's partner and roommate, Detective James Ellison, would soon follow. Thankfully that wasn't the case this time around. But still Simon had a horrible feeling that before all this was over Sandburg would find himself somehow right in the middle of it.

Spotting Ellison, who was just returning to his desk in the bull pen, Simon went to his door and called Jim into his office.

Jim entered the office and took a seat. "What's up Sir?"

Returning to behind his desk, Simon removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose, trying in vain to hold back the headache that threatened. With a sigh he replaced the glasses and answered the man sitting before him. "They've found a body at the university...."

The detective interrupted him, rising abruptly nearly knocking the chair over in his haste. " WHAT!?"

"Now, now Jim, calm down. It wasn't Sandburg."

Ellison closed his eyes and directed a silent Thank God! towards the heavens and any deities that might be listening. Once the thundering pounding in his chest and the roaring in his ears subsided, he opened his eyes and focused on his Captain. Professional demeanor once again in place he inquired, "So what have we got?"

Simon related what little he had been told. "The information we have so far is sketchy at best. The victim is male, early twenties and it appears the body has been there about two weeks. Forensics is en route but I want you to get over there before the body is removed and see what you can come up with."

"Yes sir." Ellison started for the door then turned back to the Captain. "Simon, I'm sorry about before, it's just that I...."

Simon waved off the apology. "I know Jim. Knowing Sandburg's propensity for finding trouble, that was my first though too.I'm just glad we were both wrong this time."

Jim smiled. "Yeah me too Simon, me too."

"Oh and Jim... Simon cautioned, "don't let Sandburg see the body."

Ellison's head snapped up. "How did you...!?" He smiled ruefully, "Never mind."

En route to the university Jim was still smiling at the thought of how well Simon has come to understand him over the past couple of years. B.S. Before Sandburg he had been cold and withdrawn, never allowing anyone to get to close. Even his relationship with Carolyn was doomed to failure due to the personal barriers he had erected against everyone. Everyone that is until Sandburg.

The thought of Blair was a sobering one. For a second there, when he thought it was Sandburg's body they found, it was as if his personal reality had been shifted. Abruptly his sense of sight, taste, smell and texture had vanished leaving him alone in a hell worse than he could ever have imagined. Over time he knew he had come to care about and count on Blair as a friend, partner and guide. But it wasn't until he was faced with the possible fait accompli of Blair's death that he realized just how intense those feelings were. Sure Blair was his friend, partner, maybe he even saw him as the the kid brother he always hoped to have in Stephen but never did. But more importantly than that, Blair Sandburg was his Guide, his very lifeline to maintaining the precarious hold he had on his Sentinel abilities. He owed Blair his very life. Not just because he had pushed him out of the way of that garbage truck or because of the other dozen ways he had physically saved his life, but because without his Guide, without Blair, he would have become an incoherent raving lunatic incapable of dealing with the genetic abilities that nature had granted him.

"It's ironic," he thought. "I may be the Sentinel of a great city, but I am in reality nothing without my Guide, my Shaman, my friend."

Ellison couldn't repress the smile. Yeah, the kid certainly had a knack. Enough exposure to the Sandburg zone eventually won over even the toughest of critics. Bad guys didn't count in that equation, nor did the Fed's. But then everyone knew the Fed's had no taste whatsoever except maybe in choice of suits. Yep that famous Sandburg charm, charisma, whatever the hell it was, had won them all over. Even Simon, though he'd be the last to admit it, had come to like, respect and yes even care about the kid.

So lost in contemplation Ellison arrived at the university before he even realized it. Familiar with the campus he quickly made his was to the crime scene. Ducking under the yellow tape which cordoned off the area he wasted no time with preliminaries. "What have you got Serena?"

"Not much Jim. Due to our frequent precipitation, the rate of decomposition is so advanced that well, other than the obvious blunt trauma to the head resulting in a crushed skull, there really isn't a lot I can tell you until we get it back to the lab for some test."

Ellison nodded absently. The entire time Serena had been speaking he had been using his heightened senses to peruse the victim and surrounding area. Due to the overwhelming stench of decay permeating his nostrils he had to turn his sense of smell down and focus using his eyesight as the primary investigating sense. Slowly, least he miss something, his gaze carefully swept over every inch of the exposed corpse. He was beginning to despair of finding anything when suddenly his persistence was rewarded. There! by the hem of the victims worn jeans was what appeared to be a solitary strand of red hair.

Serena noticed his sudden change in demeanor. "You got something Jim?"

"Maybe. Let me borrow your tweezers." Carefully he lifted the strand, examined it thoroughly and then placed it in an evidence bag.

"You think it might belong to the killer?" Serena inquired.

Jim sighed. "Even if it does it's not going to do us much good. It's a synthetic. Probably from a wig."

Serena had long since given up trying to figure out how Jim seemed to automatically know things which would otherwise take a lab days to determine. With a nod of acceptance she turned back to her crew and began issuing instructions on removal of the body.

A soft almost inaudible exclamation of "Oh...My...God!" captured Ellison attention as he recognized his Guides distress. "SANDBURG!" The detective stifled the curse that quickly sprung to his lips. Turning he quickly took the shaken young man aside. He refrained from saying anything more as he watched Blair struggle to regain his composure. "Damn it! He hated it when the kid was exposed to this side of his work."

Blair inhaled deeply trying to quell the nausea rising in his throat and instantly regretted the action as the assault on his nostrils only made the sensation worse. He knew he was shaking, albeit minutely, yet uncontrollably. He was vaguely aware of Jim who stood there intently watching him. No doubt monitoring his runaway heartbeat, noting his sudden lack of color and his desperate struggle not to lose his breakfast. "Damn it! When was he going to learn how not to let this part of Jim's work affect him so much."

James Ellison noted the gauntlet of expression that raced across his partner's face. Though Blair could obfuscate with the best of them and even at times successfully hide what was troubling him, in unguarded moments such as these, Blair's thoughts were as obvious as the written word in an open book. One only had to look to understand everything that he was thinking and feeling. Jim put a comforting hand on the young man's shoulder. "I hope you never do get use to it Chief."

Blair's head shot up, blue eyes widening in surprise. "How'd you know what I was thinking?"

"A person doesn't have to be able to read minds Sandburg to understand what's going on behind those baby blue's of yours."

Blair's eyes immediately sought the ground as embarrassment begin to return some color to his formally wand complexion.

"Blair, look at me." Jim commanded softly, then once his was sure he had his attention, continued. "The day either of us becomes use to this type of thing," he waved his hand indicating the body, "is the day I turn in my badge. You hear what I'm saying here Chief?"

"Yeah Jim, I hear you." Jim playfully cuffed him along side the head and Blair took the admonishment gracefully. "We about done here Jim?"

Ellison turned to survey the area one last time. "Yeah I guess so. Let's go Chie..." The flow of words suddenly halting as something caught his attention. There on the ground a silver object laid partially exposed from where the body had been removed. Returning to the sight, Jim knelt beside it and using a nearby twig began to push aside the leaves and other debris still covering the object. A tiny silver locket with matching chain soon came into view. Without even having to ask, an evidence bag was immediately dangled in front of him. With a nod of thanks to the officer Jim carefully threaded the twig through the chain and slipped the locket into the bag.

Sandburg's brows furrowed as his ever rampant curiosity kicked in. "Jim, what is it?"

Ellison turned to his partner handing him the evidence. "What do you make of it Chief ?"

"It's beautiful work man." Blair exclaimed while examining the piece. "See this image here. This is the astrological sign for Gemini, the Twins." He paused studying further then became visibly agitated. "Some of these symbols seem vaguely familiar but I just can't seem to..." He growled his frustration.

Always amazed at the wealth of Sandburg's knowledge Ellison knew that Blair would be like a dog worrying a bone until he figured it out. Placing a quick pat on Blair's stomach as a show of reassurance, Jim snatched the bag from the anthropologist hands. "Give it time buddy, it'll come to you."


Blair would have preferred to accompany Jim to the station. He was eager to investigate the symbols engraved on the locket unfortunately he was already late for a department meeting. Hurrying across the campus towards Hargrove Hall Blair collided with another body before his mind could even register that someone was there. " Oh man, I'm really sorry I..." he began stammering an apology as he looked up for the first time. "Melissa!"

A statuesque blonde stood before him smiling. "Hello Blair. In a hurry as usual I see."

"Yeah well..." he shrugged.

"I was hoping I could entice you to have a picnic with me." She said indicating the wicker hamper she was holding.

Blair was genuinely disappointed. He and Melissa had been seeing each other for nearly three weeks now, definitely a Sandburg record in the relationships department, and for the most part, he really enjoyed her company. "It's a beautiful day and she  isa beautiful woman. What more could a man ask for?" It was with a reluctant sigh he told her. "I can't, I'm already late for a meeting."

A flicker of emotions crossed her features. "I wouldn't mind waiting," she replied laying a gentle kiss on each corner of Blair's voluptuous mouth to emphasize her point.

All Blair's good intentions fled as he captured her lips with his own. Moments later he groaned and pulled away. "You really do pick the most inopportune times..." He groaned. "As much as I would love to pursue this, I really can't right now."

Seeing his determined express she capsulated. "Call me later?"

He gifted her with one of his patented Sandburg smiles. "You bet. But now ~kiss~, I really do ~kiss~, have to go." He allowed the last kiss to linger briefly and then he turned and fled before his libido could once again overwhelm his sense of responsibility.

Melissa watched him until he disappeared into Hargrove Hall, then with a calculating smile, she followed.

The meeting had run longer than anticipated. Rushing back to his office Blair grimaced as he recalled the department heads displeasure at his tardiness. No doubt both Jim and Simon would be none to pleased with him either seeing as how he was suppose to have been at the station forty five minutes ago. He entered his office then stopped abruptly as his eyes widened in shock and his mouth dropped open in surprise. Waiting stretched on a plaid blanket with the contents of the picnic basket spread out around her laid a totally nude..... "MELISSA!" Blair choked then had the presence of mind to slam the open door behind him closed. "Just what the hell do you think you're doing?"

"I would have thought that much was obvious." She literally purred.

Throwing the files onto his desk he grabbed up her clothes and tossed them to her. "I want you to get dressed, get your stuff and be out of here in five minutes."

"But Blair..."

"Damn it Melissa, anyone could have walked in here and found you like this. Are you trying to get me kicked out?"

"Well...no... but..." She couldn't seem to get a word in edgewise as Blair continued his tirade. "I told you I did not have time for this." Grabbing his backpack he headed for the door then turning around he addressed her again. "Remember, five minutes." He shook his head in disbelief. "You just don't know how to take no for an answer do you?" And with that parting shot he slammed the door on his way out.

Her eyes narrowed. "Oh I know how to take no for an answer Blair." She said aloud to the empty room. "I just don't like to."


Having grabbed himself a cup of coffee Jim took a tentative sip then grimaced as the stale coffee assaulted his taste buds. Returning to his desk he flipped open the file and began to read the preliminary report on the murder victim. They had gotten lucky in one respect, the victims wallet had been found on the body. The drivers license inside identified him, until dental records could confirm it, as being David Parker, age twenty two. The wallet had also contained a student ID for Rainier University. The next page of the report contained the analysis of the hair sample. Nothing new there as it confirmed what he already knew. The report on the locket didn't reveal much beyond it's mineral composition. Perhaps Sandburg would remember more about the designs etched on it.

Speaking of Sandburg, "Where the hell was he?" Glancing at the clock Jim realized Blair was now nearly an hour and a half late. He heard the ding of the elevator. "Speak of the devil," he thought as the young man in question rushed into the bullpen. Jim noted Blair's flushed face and tuned into the rapid heartbeat with concern.

"Hey Jim, sorry I'm late man but you wouldn't believe the day I'm having."

"Yeah well don't get comfortable Einstein," he said rising at Blair's approach. "We've got to head back over to the university."

Blair's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Oh, what's up Jim?"

"The victim has been identified. It appears he was a student there." He paused, "Did you by any chance know a David Parker?"

"David Parker?" Blair mulled the name over in his mind. He shook his head. "No, sorry man it's not ringing any bells."

Ellison sighed. "Don't worry about it Chief."

Jim had just grabbed his jacket as Simon approached them. He nodded an acknowledgement in Blair's direction. "Sandburg."

"Hey Simon!" Blair smiled.

"So Jim, any new developments on the case?" Simon asked hopefully.

"Not yet Sir, we're heading over to the campus now. Maybe someone over there can provide us with a lead."

Simon nodded. "You might want to stop by the coroners office on your way there. See if they've turned up anything yet."

"They've started the autopsy already?" Blair questioned in surprise. Banks nodded.

"Isn't that a little unusual Simon?" Added Ellison.

Simon sighed. "It would appear that I'm not the only one who's been on the phone with the university president and the mayor all morning. Their offices have been besieged with calls from concerned parents all demanding that the killer be apprehended. The commissioner has put a top priority on this case. Jim, I don't have to tell you how important this is..."

Jim unclenched his jaw. "I know Simon..."

"Come on Simon," Blair interjected. "You know Jim will find something..."

"Sandburg!" Simon warned stalling Blair's defense of Ellison.

Blair looked like a chastised puppy. "Ah yeah Simon?"

"Jim tells me you may have recognized some of the symbols on the locket. Have you been able to come up with anything new?"

"Well no, not yet Simon, but you see..."

As Simon held up his hand Blair's mouth clamped shut. "Please," said Simon with an exaggerated expression of pain. "Spare me the details and just get me some results."

"Um... yes Sir."

Jim smiled, then schooled his expression when he saw Blair look in his direction. "Let's go Chief." He said ushering the young man out of the bullpen. Jim lagged momentarily behind. "You know Simon, one of these days Sandburg is going to realize you like him, and then heaven help you." Flashing Simon a quick smile he hurried to catch up with his partner.

Simon groaned in mock despair at the implication. "That's what I'm afraid of."


Jim was aware of the fact that his Guide's heartbeat and respiration increased proportionally as they neared the coroners office. Just outside the door he turned to the younger man. "You don't have to go in there Chief."

"You do."

"It's my job. Look Sandburg, I don't like doing this any better than you do."

"Well at least you don't turn green and puck your guts out." Blair replied sullenly.

Ellison shrugged. "I've seen a lot more than you have Sandburg. Besides some people are just more naturally sensitive to that sort of thing than others."

Sandburg blinked in surprise as if he couldn't believe Ellison had actually said that "Jim," Blair frowned. "no one is as "sensitive" as you are man." Ellison smiled at the obvious pun and attempted humor. "But yeah, if you don't think me too much of a wus, I'd really rather stay out here."

Ellison seemed to consider this. "Well maybe just a little one." He replied somberly while holding his thumb and forefinger about two inches apart. Then he spoiled the whole effect by grinning.

"Just get in there..." Sandburg replied giving the Detective a gentle push towards the door. "before I change my mind and you end up with one very green anthropologist on your hands barfing all over your nice new shoes." Jim's responding chuckle disappeared with him as he went through the swinging door.

"Hey Jim." Called out the coroner in greeting as Ellison entered the examination room.

"Hi Dan. What have you got?"

Dan motioned him over to the table where the body lay. "Come take a look." He pulled back the sheet. "Whoever did this was one sadistic son of a bitch. They didn't just kill him, they tortured him first." Ellison flinched at the sight of the body. "Look at these marks on his wrist." Dan said indicating the area. "It's the same with the ankles. He was obviously restrained, but whatever was used cut clear through to the bone. See the marks?" Jim nodded.

"Not only that," Dan continued. "Besides the evidence of repeated stab wounds, thirty so far by my count, it appears as if whoever it was, was trying to flay the skin from the poor bastard while he was still alive."

"Oh man." Ellison groaned. "So in other words we've got one sick puppy on our hands?" The coroner nodded. "You turn up anything yet that might give us a clue where to find this sicko?"

"Not yet but I'll notify you if and when I do."

Ellison nodded. "Thanks Dan."

Blair was surprised to see that the Sentinel appeared a little green as he exited the examination room. With a concerned glance he inquired. "Was Dan able to turn up anything useful?"

"No, not really." He responded with a shake of his head, trying in vain to dispel the sight and knowledge he'd just witnessed.

"Well something's obviously bother you." Sandburg persisted.

Ellison sighed, resigned. He knew the kid wouldn't let it go until he told him all of it. Laying a hand on his shoulder he steered him toward the door. "Come on, I'll tell you about it in the truck."

Smoky gray eyes followed the progress of the two men as they exited the registrars office and headed towards the parking lot. They narrowed in anger and a hiss escaped through clenched teeth. "Damn! the cop iswith him. Never mind though, you will be mine and then..." lips parted in an evil smile, "then it will be just the two of us." Laughter spilled out. "Oh and do I have plans for you Blair. We're going to have so much fun." The mouth turned cruel. "And if you, like the others reject me, well then I will just have to enjoy the sound of your begging and screaming."


The detective had hoped for more. "Hey man," his partner had tried to reassure him. "Thanks to Tonya we've at least got the name and address of his former roommate. Maybe he can tell us something that will help."

"Tonya, now there was a young woman who was obviously smitten." Ellison smiled remembering. "All Sandburg had to do was turn on those baby blues and flash her one of his famous Sandburg smiles and she had been putty in his hands. She would have doneanythingfor him."

Noticing the smile Blair frowned, suspicious. "What ?"

The smile grew wider and he teased. "She likes you."

"Who, Tonya?" Blair's look was one of disbelief. "Naw, come on man...You really think ?

"I'm telling you Sandburg. If she would have drooled anymore we would have needed a mop and a bucket."

"What can I say, man..." Blair held his hands up in a helpless gesture. "They love me."


Jim heard a muttered curse and scuffling in response to his knock then the door was hastily thrown open. A young man stood there in jeans, his hair tousled. Jim picked up the familiar sent of sex and knew they had interrupted something. The man eyed them more than a little annoyed. "Yeah, what do you want ?"

"Stephen Fletcher?" Ellison inquired. As the man nodded Jim displayed his badge. "I'm Detective James Ellison of the Cascade P.D. This is my associate Blair Sandburg."

The dark haired man was instantly alert. "Is this about David? I'm sorry, please come in." He stepped back ushering them into the apartment. "I filed a missing persons report about a month ago but never heard anything more."

Ellison made a mental note to look up the report. "I'm sorry, but Mr. Parkers's body was discovered this morning on the grounds of Rainier University."

"Oh man!" Stephen Fletcher was visibly upset. "I never dreamed. I mean - I thought perhaps..."

"Thought what?" Asked Blair.

Just then a plaintive female cry came from the bedroom. "Steve honey, what's keeping you so long?"

Fletcher gave them an apologetic look before calling back over his shoulder. "I'll be there in a minute babe."

Just then an impish looking redhead entered the room wearing only a sheet and a smile. "What's so important that it can't wait?"

Stephen crossed the room and gathered her into his arms in a comforting embrace. "They've found David, he's dead."

A look of stunned disbelief crossed the woman's face. "NO!"

"Mr. Fletcher," Jim once again took command of the conversation. "You seemed surprised that David turned up dead. Why is that?"

"Dave is...'er was such a great guy, you know. I never even considered that something like this could happen to him." He ran a hand through his disheveled hair. "I just figured that he took off with Veronica."

"Who's Veronica?" Blair questioned aloud.

"Veronica Matthews, the girl Dave was seeing. She was always after him to quit the university and go off with her for some grand adventure or something."

"If that was the case Mr. Fletcher then why did you file a missing persons report?"

The young woman spoke up. "That was my doing Detective."

"And you are?"

"Sarah Cates." She introduced herself.

"So Miss Cates, why did you insist on filing the report?"

"I tried to like Veronica for Dave's sake. And for the most part I can get along with anyone..." Blair nodded to himself. Sarah did appear to have a very out going personality. "But there was just something about her," Sarah continued, "that rubbed me the wrong way. You know what I mean?"

"Could you elaborate?" Jim prompted.

"Well, she was just so possessive of him. She seemed to resent any time Dave spent away from her due to work or classes. And God forbid he should spend any times with his friends... The longer they were together, the worse she seemed to get. It got to the point where she was constantly bugging him to go away with her."

"So you think she might have had something to do with his death?"

"I'd bet on it Detective." She stated with conviction.

"Now Sarah," Stephen protested. "You don't know that for certain."

Sarah swatted him on the arm. "Don't you now Sarah me. You always were blind when she was around. Like most men you couldn't see beyond her looks and body."

"Sarah, baby..."

"And I'll tell you another thing " Sarah continued unabated. "if that woman was a natural redhead, well then, I'll eat your shorts!"

Blair bit back a smile, then it dawned on him. "Jim, a red head!" Ellison nodded. He had been wondering the same thing.

"Is that important?" Steve asked.

"We can't divulge that information at this time." Jim informed him. "Did the police question Miss Matthews at the time of the disappearance?"

Steve shook his head. "No, like I told you, we though Dave might have gone off with her. The investigating officer couldn't find a trace of either of them."

Jim pondered this then inquired. "Is there anything else you can think of that might not have seemed relevant at the time?"

The young man thought for a moment then shook his head no."Everything is in the report I gave the officer a month ago."

Jim extracted one of his cards from his wallet and gave it to Steve. "Here's my number. If either of you think of anything else, please give me a call." They both assured him that they would.

They had reached Ellison's truck Blair noticed Jim's preoccupied look. "What's wrong Jim?"

"I don't know Chief. I feel like I'm missing something here but I can't seem to put my finger on it."

"Missing? Like what, something at the crime scene?"

"That's just it, I don't know! It's like a big jigsaw puzzle with all the pieces scrambled. "

The wheels in Sandburg's brain began turning. "You're probably trying to look to closely at it Jim. What you need to do is take a step back and see the whole picture. Then one by one eliminate the elements that don't fit in the puzzle."

"Easier said than done Chief."

"Well lucky for you big guy," He assured him with a smile and bob of his eyebrows. "that's what I'm here for." Blair's expression changed. "So Jim, do you think this Veronica had something to do with Parker's death?"

"It's possible Chief. A strand of red hair from a wig was found on the body. But we more substantial evidence than that. After all they were dating. It could have gotten there any number of ways."

Blair nodded. "I suppose you're right."

Ellison pulled into the station's parking garage. "Hey Jim," Blair laid a hand on his arm. "Can you drop me off at my car. I need to head back over to the University."

"What for Chief? I thought you were going to help me solve this puzzle."

"And I will man." Blair reassured him. "I just need to check out something in the library. I think there's a book there that will shed some light on mysterious symbols we found on the locket."

Ellison was not pleased. "Sandburg, we were just there a couple hours ago."

Blair looked contrite. "I know Jim but Melissa was still working then and I really don't want to see her right now."

"Ah, the mysterious Melissa" Jim had only met her once, but he knew Sandburg had been seeing her exclusively for the last three weeks. He thought it was going well, but now he sensed an undercurrent in Sandburg's tone. One he didn't like. "So what's the problem Chief? Is there trouble in paradise?" Blair seemed hesitant. "You want to talk about it?" Ellison prompted.

Blair wasn't sure where to start. Absently pushing a stray strand of hair behind his right ear, he searched for the words. "It was great in the beginning, you know." He looked to Jim for understanding and Ellison rewarded him with a nod. "But man, she does some of the most outrageous things!" Blair snorted with a shake of his head.

Ellison grinned. "I thought you liked outrageous Chief."

"Normally I do, but after what she pulled today..." Blair blushed at the memory. "Well I know I've got to end it."

Jim's eyebrows rose in question. "What'd she do?"

Blair looked decidedly uncomfortable. "She was waiting for me in my office after my meeting."

"That doesn't sound so bad."

"Jim, she wasn't wearing any clothes man!"

Between Blair's expression and the image his words had conjured up, Ellison couldn't help it he laughed.

"It's not funny Jim!"

"I'm sorry Sandburg." Jim allowed himself another bout of merriment before he got himself under control. "I'm just having trouble picturing you turning down any woman let alone a naked one at that."

"What'd you expect, that I'd tear off my clothes and we'd spend the afternoon boffing like bunnies. It was my office Jim!"

"Okay, okay." Ellison held up a halting hand. "I get the picture." He snorted laughter again as Sandburg threw him an exasperated look. He stopped the truck besides Blair's car. Sandburg grabbed his backpack and started to get out of the truck. A restraining hand on his arm stopped him. "So Sandburg, if you do break up with Melissa do you think you could put in a good word for me?"

"Jim!" Blair began and then realized the Sentinel was teasing him. "I should you know, it would serve you right." He couldn't maintain the gruff facade any longer and smiled joining in on the joke. They looked at each other for a moment and then in unison said "Nah..."


Darkness had long since fallen before Blair finally left the university library. Someone had misfiled the book he was searching for and it had taken a lot longer then anticipated to locate it. Oh man, Jim was gonna be pissed! He had been so engrossed in his search that the passing of time hadn't registered. Still, all would be forgiven when he showed Jim this book. He was sure there was some clue in here that would help them catch the killer.

Blair easily spotted his car in the nearby deserted parking lot. Digging his keys out of his pocket, they slipped from his fingers. Bending over he quickly retrieved them from the ground. His mind registered the presence of another mere seconds before they struck. The impact sent him reeling as blinding pain exploded throughout his head. He was unconscious before he hit the ground.

The assailant took the keys to the Volvo from unprotesting fingers. Quickly unlocking and opening the door, they hefted the limp form and shoved him into the front seat and over onto the passenger side. For once the finicky engine started without protest and the car pulled out. The entire incident had taken less then five minutes.


The first thing Jim did when he got back to the station was pull the missing persons report on David Parker. The report was sketchy at best. The young man appeared to have disappeared without a trace. Next he ran a database search on Veronica Matthews and was only mildly surprised when the search came up empty.

Captain Simon Banks suddenly appeared at his elbow. "Anything yet Jim?"

"Maybe Simon. Parker's girlfriend doesn't appear to exist. I can't find a trace of her on any of the data banks."

"That does seem a bit odd." Simon frowned. "Do you know where she lives? Can you bring her in for questioning?"

"No such luck Sir, She conveniently turned up missing the same time as Parker."

"Maybe the killer took her too." Simon suggested. "And the body just hasn't turned up yet."

"I don't think so Simon. I can't put my finger on it, but I have a funny feeling about this."

"You think she's the killer than? But why? What's the motive?"

"Sandburg and I spoke with Parker's former roommate and his girlfriend earlier this afternoon. According to them she was practically inseparable from Parker. That she vehemently resented any time he didn't spend with her."

"I don't get it Jim. That doesn't necessarily make her a murder suspect."

"I know Simon. Just call it a hunch or gut instinct." Jim shrugged.

Even without his Sentinel abilities Jim's hunches were usually right on the money. Therefore Simon knew he had to give them some credence. As if he suddenly realized something was missing Simon glanced around the bullpen. "Where's is Sandburg anyway?"

Jim barely glanced up from the report he was reading for the dozenth time in hopes of finding some clue. "He's at the university library. He thinks there's a book there that might tell us what those symbols on the locket are. With a concerned glance Ellison noticed the time. "In fact he should have been back here hours ago."

Simon chuckled. "Knowing Sandburg he probably got waylaid by some pretty young coed."

Suddenly something Blair had said earlier clicked into place. "DAMN!" Ellison cursed. "Why didn't I see it sooner?" He picked up the phone and furiously stabbed in Blair's cell phone number.

"Jim, what is it?" Simon didn't know what was going on, but Ellison's obvious distress warned him it wasn't good.

The phone rang over and over with no response. With each succeeding ring Jim's jaw clenched tighter and tighter as the knot of worry in his gut began to grow. "Damn it, he's not answering." Rising, Jim grabbed his coat and started for the door.

Simon grabbed his arm. "Jim will you tell me what in the hell is going on?"

"Simon, I don't have time for this. I think Sandburg's in danger." He tried pushing past his Captain but the taller man refused to relinquish his hold. The firm set of his mouth silently told Ellison he wasn't going anywhere until he got some answers. "Sandburg was telling me earlier how outrageous his girlfriend's behavior has been getting lately."

"And you think there's a connection?" Simon asked, still confused.

"Call it a hunch Sir, but I'd bet my life on it. I am not however, about to bet Blair's." He wrenched his arm from Simon's grasp and headed for the elevator. "I'm going to the university." The car arrived and Jim stepped on, turning back to his Captain he said, "Have someone run a back ground check on Melissa Connors. She works at the university's library. But if I'm right about this, they won't find anything." The elevator doors closed and the car began it decent, whisking Ellison towards the parking garage.


Consciousness came slowly, painfully. Blair desperately wanted to return to the peaceful oblivion from which he was being forcibly drawn. The stinging slaps came again, over and over. Unaware that he cried out the blows mercifully stopped. Beyond the ringing in his ears and the insistent pounding in his head Blair thought he heard movement. Against his will his eyes popped open only to slam shut again as the light in the room sent stabbing pain through his temple. He groaned, wishing desperately for the darkness to claim him again. But the instinct for self preservation was a strong one and he forced his eyes to open. At first everything was a blur of colors and grotesque shapes. He forced himself to concentrate and slowly the room came into focus.

He could have sworn someone was in the room with him, yet as he glanced around he saw that he was alone in what appeared to be a bedroom. Events that had seemed a little fuzzy when he had first awakened now fell into place.

Blair recognized the wet stickiness on the side of his face as blood and fleetingly wondered if his head was still bleeding. Considering the way his head still ached, moving wasn't on the top of his list of favorite things to do, but Blair knew he must and quickly before whoever took him came back. Carefully so as not to antagonize the intense pain he began to rise from the bed on which he laid. Unfortunately he didn't get far as first surprise then pain radiated throughout his body. He bit down hard trying to stop the cry of pain from escaping his lips and tasted blood. Sinking back onto the bed with a gasp, his breath came in hard drawn gulps.

Precious minutes passed before he was once again capable of cognizant thought. Fighting against rising hysteria Blair forced himself to look at what it was that had detained him. Slowly he turned his head to the right and looked slightly up and behind him. Blair watched transfixed as rivulets of blood ran down his forearm and disappeared into the rolled up cuff of his shirt. Shaking himself out of the near trance his eyes traveled upward. A thin wire looped his wrist snugly in a slip knot. His earlier attempt to rise had pulled it taught causing it to cut into his flesh. Any further attempts to free his hands would result in the wire cutting deeper, eventually to the bone. No doubt though it would sever an artery first and he would bleed to death before that happened. Now there was a comforting thought. Blair knew without looking that his bare feet were equally bound as the now familiar pain flared from that region as well.

Shear terror began to overwhelm him as Blair realized the helplessness of his situation. If Jim were here he wouldn't have needed his hyperactive senses to see the uncontrollable tremors that coursed through his body, nor to hear the rapid pounding of his heart. Jim... He took temporary solace in the mere thought of his friend. Yes! Jim would find him and rescue him from this nightmare, just as he had done all those times before. The turning of the bedroom doorknob wrenched Blair's attention away from his inner contemplations and back into the cold, cruel, terrifying reality of the moment. He actually forgot how to breathe as the door slowly opened.


Suzanne Tomaki, Chief of campus security, was waiting in the University's library parking lot as Ellison's blue and white pickup squealed to a halt. It's door flew open and Jim hopped out eyes scanning the parking lot. "I don't see his car."

"Hello Jim." Suzanne Tomaki greeted him. "I came as soon as your office called."

Ellison turned his attention to the young Asian women and sounding remarkably like a lost child once again repeated. "I don't see his car."

"According to the head librarian Sandburg left the library about 8:30." Suzanne informed him.

Jim looked at his watch. That had been almost two hours ago. "Did she actually see him drive off?" Suzanne regretfully shook her head no. Jim muffled a curse. Where the hell was Sandburg?

Once again his eyes scanned the parking lot. This time though he also utilized his heightened sense of smell. THERE! He recognized the smell almost immediately. God knows he had enough opportunity over the last several years to become familiar with it. It was blood. But not just any blood, it was Sandburg's blood. Piggybacking his vision to his sense of smell Jim quickly found the spot. He went to the spot and bent down. In the harsh glare of the overhead parking lot lights Jim was able to clearly see the small pool of blood. The actual sight of Blair's blood on the darkened pavement threatened to overwhelm him. Were it not for the comforting touch of Suzanne's hand on his shoulder he knew he would have zoned out right then and there. "It's Sandburg's." He told her rising from the spot.

"Jim, you don't know that for sure. It could ..." Suzanne began protesting but Jim cut her off.

"It's his." He said with conviction. "My guess is whoever took him also took his car." Once again he began scanning the parking lot searching, hoping for some sign of the direction in which Blair's car might have been headed. Damn! maybe it hadn't been such a good idea after all to have had that oil leak fixed. With his Sentinel abilities he could have used that to trace the vehicle.

Desperate now Jim continued scanning the area almost to the point of a zone out before he thought he saw something. Was that? Carefully he bent down and picked up the single strand of dark hair. It wasn't Blair's, he knew that with a certainty. Holding it between his thumb and forefinger Jim concentrated on his tactile sense. It confirmed what he had already been dreading in his heart. The strand of hair was from a wig. Flashes of finding a similar strand of red hair on David Parker's body earlier that day brought a groan from the detective.

"Jim?" Suzanne Tomaki was worried. The last time she had the opportunity to work with Ellison she witnessed how much Jim cared for his roommate and partner. She could only imagine the hell he was experiencing now.

At the sound of his name Ellison turned towards her. His normally clear blue eyes were dark with intensity. She could see the vein throbbing in his neck as his firm jaw clenched tight. "Whoever has Blair is the same person that killed David Parker."

"Dear Lord!" Suzanne thought then gasped as Ellison grabbed her upper arms in a painful grip. "I know who it is but the departments computers don't have anything on file. I need to get into the University's records, NOW!"

Suzanne tried unsuccessfully to pull away from the brutal grip. "Jim! You're hurting me."

Ellison suddenly realized what he was doing and promptly released her. "Suzanne, I'm sorry..."

She rubbed her sore arms. "It's okay Jim, I understand. Now tell me, who do you think is responsible?"

Jim absently ran a hand through his short hair while he tried to regain some semblance of control. "She's been going by the name of Melissa Connors. She works here at the University Library."

Suzanne nodded, as Chief of Campus Security it was her job to be familiar with all the employees of the University. "We do a back ground check on all the employees, I should have an address on file for her."

Just then Ellison's cell phone rang. He told Suzanne, "I'll meet you there," and answered it on the second ring. "Ellison," he practically snarled into the receiver.

"Jim, it's Simon. Any word on Sandburg yet?"

Jim was immediately contrite. He hadn't meant to snap at his Captain and friend that way. He knew that Simon Banks and a large majority of the Major Crimes Squad was just as concerned about Sandburg as he was. No, he amended that thought. No one cared more for Blair, okay with the possible exception of Naomi, then he did. "She's got him Simon and he's hurt."

Simon Banks swore. "I knew it. I just knew Sandburg was gonna end up in the middle of this mess before this was all over..."

Jim interrupted his tirade. "Suzanne Tomaki is checking for an address on Melissa Connors. But if I'm right, it will probably be a phony address."

Simon felt another headache coming on. "If you're right that means we've run into another dead end." He winced, Oh god he hadn't meant to say that. Especially not within hearing range of Ellison, who with his abilities, that range would probably cover most of Cascade. "I'm sorry Jim..."

"It's all right sir." He growled with frustration. "There has to be something we've overlooked." Jim's thoughts were in chaos, frantically considering one possibility after another then discarding it. Finally he latched onto an idea. It was a feeble one at best, but right now it was the only one he had to work with. "Simon!" he practically shouted into the phone.

"You got something Jim?"

"Maybe, it's a long shot..."

"I'll take it!" Simon was quick to assured him.

"Well we know that this is the first murder of this type in the area. But if she's gone after Blair now I'm betting that David Parker wasn't her first."

"Makes sense Jim. I'll run a check with the FBI serial killer division and get back to you."

"Simon?"

"Yeah Jim?"

"Hurry."


The rapid tempo of Blair's heartbeat seemed to keep time with the door that was opening. He had no idea who was coming through the door but he did know that it didn't bode well for him and he was scared. No not just scared, he was terrified.

"Ah, fully awake now I see. Good." Said the husky voice. "You know, for a while there I was concerned that I had killed you with that blow to the head. Blair heard a tisking sound. "That wouldn't have been good. It would have spoiled all the fun we're going to have." Throaty laughter rang out.

"Fun!" Blair thought, "that was one hell of a euphemism to use. And Lord only knew just what kind of fun this maniac had in store for him." Blair closed his eyes as nausea born through trepidation rose. "Jim, now would be a verygood time for oneof your famous rescues."

Blair heard the door close with a quiet click and his eyes shot open. Nope, the loony tune was still there. Oh God! He forced himself to focus on his assailant. Slowly the fuzziness, that up until now had been accompanying his vision, cleared. A woman stood by the door watching him. A woman? She seemed familiar somehow, but the dark hair and face totally devoid of make up kept what was just on the periphery of his brain from clicking in. He did know one thing, he didn't like the deranged way she was looking at him. Blair tried to swallow past the lump in his throat and failed.

"Don't you recognize me Blair?" she inquired. "Maybe this will help." She reached up and removed the dark wig. Her fingers raked through the short, blonde, almost boyish cut hair that was revealed.

It took him a moment because he had been use to seeing her with longer hair, but when it finally clicked he couldn't have been more surprised. "Christ Sandburg! Do you know how to pick them or what? Melissa," he choked out in a soft whisper.

She came over and sat beside him on the bed. Even that slight movement caused him excruciating pain as the wire cut deeper into his wrist and ankles. She gently patted his cheek, "Very good. I always knew you were a bright one."

Blair was bitter. "Obviously not bright enough." He spat out while trying to pull away from the hand on his face. He stopped moving almost immediately as the poker hot pain sliced through him.

Her lips turned up into a parody of a smile. "But the name's not Melissa," She continued as if he hadn't spoken. "It's Andrea."

"Why Andrea? If I'm going to die, and horribly at that" he silently added to himself, "that's all I want to know."

"Trying to psychoanalyze me Blair? I thought your field of study was anthropology not psychology." She laughed again. "God but he was beginning to despise that sound." She seemed to be considering his request. "Okay, for old times sake." She caressed his face and Blair stopped himself just in time from pulling away from the touch. "Good boy," She bend down and planted a gentle kiss on the tip of his nose in reward. "Besides," she told him, "it's not often I get to talk about my extra curricular activities." She laughed at her own joke and it grated on Blair's ears. "I ..am ..going.. to.. kill.. her. Yeah right Sandburg, you and what army? Sheesh! You're like, totallyhelpless here man."

She rose from the bed causing it and him to move again. Blair nearly passed out. "SHIT!" Blair gulped in breaths of air, willing the agony to pass.

"I'm going to tell you a story Blair," Cruel, smoky gray eyes fastened on his. "And then," she calmly announced, "I'm going to take great pleasure in methodically beating you to death."

SAY WHAT ? Blair's eyes widened. "No, no, no, no ,nooooo! I couldn't have heard that right." He looked at her and saw that she was indeed serious. His heart felt as if it was going to beat it's way right out of his chest. "Maybe I'll get lucky and die of fright first. Oh yeah right! If you were lucky you wouldn't be here in the first place. Face it Sandburg, your luck sucks!"


Jim slammed his fist into the button and the elevator began it's rise that would carry him to the seventh floor and the Major Crimes Division. "Damn it!" He knew that Connor's address would prove to be a phony but the sight of the vacant lot nearly devastated him. Suzanne Tomaki, who appeared to be equally upset, assured him that more stringent means of running back ground checks would be taken in the future. Fat lot of good that was going to do Sandburg right now.

The elevator deposited him on the proper floor and he stormed into Simon's office without bothering to knock. Simon looked up at his abrupt entry. "I take it the address turned up nothing." It was more of a statement then a question.

"No damn it! He turned to his Captain, his eyes pleading. "Simon has there been any word from the FBI yet?"

"Not yet Jim. I know it doesn't seem like it but it really hasn't been that long since I sent the inquiry."

"Simon, it's Sandburg's life we're talking about here. Every minute counts." Ellison was pacing back and forth like a caged animal.

"I know that Jim, but it's three hours later out there and it is the start of the weekend. The most they have on duty right now is a skeletal staff." Simon tried reasoning with him, but Ellison wasn't cooperating.

"I don't give a damn what day or time it is Simon. Get the fucking President out of bed if you have to. But I want answers now!" He slammed his fist down on Simon's desk so hard it's contents rattled.

"Oh shit, Jim was pissed. He never used  thatword. Okay, maybe pissed wasn't the right term. He was scared, no, he was utterly terrified. Sandburg was out there somewhere in the hands of a killer and they had no idea where. But did that give Ellison the right to act like a deranged lunatic himself? Yeah, he supposed it did. Lord knows he certainly felt like breaking something right about now." Unfortunately his position didn't allow him that luxury so he tried again, "Jim..."

Just then, Captain Joel Taggert stuck his head into Simon's office. "Simon, Jim, something's coming over the fax machine from the FBI." Ellison was past him even before he could finish the sentence.

Most of Major Crimes was gathered around the fax machine but they parted swiftly as the large very determined Detective strode angrily through them. "Come on, come on," Ellison muttered impatiently as the pages slowly made their way out of the machine. Ripping them off one by one he quickly scanned their contents then turned confused eyes up to his Captain. "This doesn't make any sense!"

Simon looked over his shoulder. "What is it Jim?"

"There was a similar serial killer case in Portsmouth, Washington about six months ago. But the suspect was a man, one Andre Allessi. It says here that he was shot and killed by the local authorities."

Ellison was right, it didn't make sense. "So you think we've got a copy cat killer on our hands?" Taggert wondered.

"I don't know Joel," Jim sighed.

Simon drew his attention to the photo that was now coming out of the fax machine. Jim studied it carefully. He had only met Melissa once, and blame it on his blessed protector mode, but anyone that came into contact with Sandburg was closely scrutinized and committed to memory. And this man did share a definite resemblance with her. He set the photo down and once again began scanning the documents. A dropped pin could have been heard as everyone held their collective breath. Jim zeroed in on what he was searching for. "That's it!" He looked up at Simon. "He had a twin sister, Andrea."

"And this Andrea is the one that has Blair?" Asked Brown.

Jim's steel blue eyes met his unwavering. "I'm sure of it."

"I don't get it Jim." Said Simon, "If Andre was the killer, then why would his sister have killed Parker and taken Sandburg."

Jim Ellison was more than a little exasperated. "Well gee Simon I don't know." He said sarcastically. "Could it be that they are both more then a little eccentric?"

"JIM!" Simon warned. He knew Ellison was under a lot of pressure and scared to death that he wouldn't find Sandburg in time. But he couldn't allow that tone to be taken with him, especially in front of the men and women of Major Crimes.

Jim had the grace to look contrite. "Sorry Sir." His gaze turned back to the documents. "It gives their Portsmouth address."

"You think that's where she's taken Hairboy?" Asked Taggert, using his favorite nickname for Blair.

"No. She's been working at the University and Portsmouth is to far to commute. My guess is she's living in the area."

"Rafe," Ordered Simon. "I want you to check out that angle. Brown, get on the phone with the Portsmouth Police and have them check out that address just in case."

"Yes Sir," came the chorus of replies as the two men quickly moved to their appointed task.

Joel Taggert laid a reassuring hand on Ellison's shoulder. "Don't worry Jim, we'll find him."

He barely heard Jim's whispered reply. "But will we be in time ?"


Blair tried desperately to assimilate the story Andrea just told him. Maybe if he could understand he could figure out a way to talk her out of this ...insanity. But he didn't understand. How could she have killed all those men and then frame her own brother for the crimes? Her twin brother at that. His confusion must have shown because she decided to enlighten him.

"Ah, my dear Blair, you don't understand do you? It's quite simple really. You see our mother died in childbirth leaving our father to raise us on his own. He was a hard bitter man and he started beating both of us at a very early age." She paused as if trying to remember. "In fact I can't recall a time when he didn't beat us. But that wasn't enough for him. Oh no! When I was about three, I think it was, he started to sexually molest me." The hatred evident in her voice grew in intensity and volume. "And he continued to molest me until finally I was old enough to defend myself. So one night I took my brother's baseball bat and bashed his brains in."

Oh my God! Blair was sick with the realization that he was in the hands of a maniac who bludgeoned her own father to death. It didn't seem to matter that the bastard deserved it. All he knew and cared about at that point was that he was next.

Andrea continued enraptured by the memory. "I can't begin to tell you just how good that felt, after all I had to endure, all those years at the hands of that man."

"But why," Blair croaked, then cleared his throat and tried again. "Why did you do that to your brother?"

She cocked her head and looked at him as if he were some dim-witted child. "Because Blair, he allowed it happen. He knew all along what our father was doing and he didn't raise a finger to help me."

"Okay, okay," Blair thought, his apprehension growing proportionately with her rising anger. "This is something I can possibly work with. I'm sorry." He told her. "Maybe he was just as afraid of your father as you were. Maybe..."

She turned on him in anger. "THAT'S NO EXCUSE! HE SHOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING."

Blair frantically tried to think of another route to take since that one wasn't working to well. "Then tell me, why the other men, why me?"

Her rage seemed to dissipate just as quickly as it had appeared. She moved to the side of the bed and gently brushed back his blood matted hair. She stood there looking down at him, studying him with those smoky gray eyes. Blair was just beginning to wonder if she was going to answer him when she finally spoke. "You know Blair, I really thought you were going to be different from the others. You seemed so gentle and kind."

"Then why?" His eyes beseeched her. "I never hurt you."

Her eyes narrowed. "Didn't you?"

"NO!" Blair vehemently denied.

"Oh sure, at first you were attentive enough. But then things started getting in the way. Your work at the University, with the police department. Everything was more important than me." Her voice grew in volume until she was shouting. "What I wanted, what I needed, suddenly didn't seem to matter to you anymore."

"No, that's not true!" Blair swore.

"SHUT UP!" Andrea backhanded him across the face abruptly cutting off his protest. Blair's head snapped back with the force of the blow and he felt blood filling his mouth. "The only thing I want to hear out of you is the sound of your screams." She moved to the nearby dresser and picked up the baseball bat laying there.

Blair couldn't help himself, he whimpered at the sight of it. "Andrea, please... no..."

She carried the bat to the side of the bed holding it almost reverently. "You know Blair," She told him. "I like to vary my methods. Sometimes, like with David, I like to slice em up real nice and slow. This time though I feel a need to work off a little aggression. And nothing works better for that than a good ole Louisville slugger."

Somewhere in the recesses of his mind, Blair was vaguely aware that he was hyperventilating yet he could not tear his gaze away from the bat and the realization that in a matter of mere moments that bat would be the instrument of his torture. "Now let's see, where should I start?" Andrea seemed to be contemplating the question.

Jim ! Oh God, please, please don't let this happen. His thoughts wailed for he was incapable of verbally forming the words.

She finally decided. "Ah yes, the knees I think." Blair's heart actually stopped as he watched her raise the bat high above her head. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion as it began it's downward arch. But soon, much to soon it reached it's destination.

The scream that ripped from his throat upon impact was not human, it couldn't have been. He didn't hear it though, he was aware of nothing except the blinding agony that now radiated from his shattered kneecap. Andrea laughed. "Ohhh, that was a good one. Shall we try the other one now?" She looked closely at Blair who lay drenched in sweat, tears pouring from beneath closed eyelids. "No?" She offered. "Hum, well we could try... Blair, are you paying attention to me? Blair? She slapped his face and got no reaction. Pulling up one of the closed eyelids she saw that he had slipped into unconsciousness. "Damn! This simply will not do. Now where was it I put those smelling salts? Ah yes, now I remember." She patted his cheek. "Now don't go anywhere," she told the unconscious man. "I'll be right back."


James Ellison stalked back and forth across the floor of his Captain's office, then he sat down in a chair only to resume his pacing a few minutes later. Simon shook his head in commiseration. "Jim, you're wearing a hole in the carpet."

The pacing stopped. "I can't help it Simon. What the hell is taking so long?"

Simon looked up at the commotion in the bullpen. The fact that Ellison didn't hear it testified to the fact of just how upset the detective was. "I think we've just found something." He told Jim, nodding towards the disturbance.

Jim practically ripped the Captain's door off it's hinges as he tore open the door and hurried into the bullpen. "What have you got?"

"The Portmouth address is deserted." Rafe told him. "But we've got two local possibilities. The first is at 212 Park Heights Avenue..."

"No," Jim interrupted him. "I know that area, it's too crowded. We know from Parker's autopsy that she tortures her victims before killing them. My guess is that she won't want anyone close enough to hear the screams." The others in the room nodded in agreement. "What else have you got?"

Rafe continued. "Then our only other option is this property on the southeastern edge of Cascade Lake."

Ellison looked up. "THAT'S IT! That's where she's holding him." He raced towards the elevator.

"Jim! Banks called to him. "Hold up, you're in no condition to drive. I'll take you." He turned towards his secretary. "Rhonda, have the paramedics meet us at this address." He said handing her the piece of paper. She nodded and picked up the phone. Simon went into his office and removed his service revolver from his desk. Grabbing his coat he quickly made his way to join Ellison who was holding the elevator. And although they were suppose to have been off duty hours ago, he was not the least bit surprised to find Taggert, Brown and Rafe also waiting there for him.


The lakefront property was only twenty minutes away. But as each mile passed Simon Banks felt his best detective withdraw more and more into his own private hell. "We'll find him in time Jim. He'll be all right."

He didn't look at his Captain just continued staring sightlessly out into the dark expanse of night. "I have to believe that Sir, otherwise..." Jim didn't finish the sentence. He didn't have to. They both knew that if Blair didn't survive this than neither would he.


"Wakey, wakey." The insistent voice tickled his consciousness from far away.

Blair weakly objected, but the overpowering stench beneath his nose left him no choice. He reluctantly opened his eyes and visibly cringed as Andrea came into view. "NO! No more please." He sobbed, his strained vocal cords barely allowing a recognizable voice.

She cocked an eyebrow at his words. "Now Blair," she patiently told him. "If you're going to keep passing out on me I may just have to end our little game sooner than expected."

Oh God yes!  "Please," his raspy voice implored her. "Do it! Kill me now. I can't..." He was crying in earnest now, the words unable to get past the massive sobs wracking his body. Despite the fact that he was bleeding profusely from them, he no longer felt the pain in his wrists or ankles. Compared to what he had been made to suffer since then those seemed like vague insignificant memories.

"Blair, Blair, Blair." She said shaking her head as if disappointed."Now where would the satisfaction be if I did that?" Once again she raised the bat and brought it crashing down, this time on top of his rib cage. ~CRACK!~

Blair's body involuntarily vaulted into a near sitting position at the impact before the wires biding his wrists and ankles stopped his forward momentum. Breathless he slumped back into the bed, his eyes reflecting immeasurable pain. He didn't see Andrea smile nor raise the bat for another blow.


The door flew open as Jim flanked by Simon burst into the room.. "FREEZE! CASCADE P.D., DROP THE WEAPON." For a moment it looked as if she were going to comply, then suddenly the bat arched upwards once again. Ellison fired off three rounds hitting her squarely in the back before the bat dropped from lifeless fingers. It took another second or two before her body followed it to the floor.

Jim's first sight of the battered, broken, bloody body of his partner threatened to send him straight over the edge of a gaping precipice. Only Simon's in drawn gasp at his first sight of Blair and his subsequent bellow of "Where the hell is the ambulance?," snapped him out of it before he tumbled into it's harrowing depths.

Jim was beside the bed with no conscious memory of how he had gotten there. So intent was he on assessing Blair's condition that he didn't hear Simon order the removal of Andrea's body or Taggert's report that the ambulance had been involved in an accident and the back up one was still ten minutes away.

He reached out first with his heightened sense of hearing listening for Blair's heartbeat and then began to panic when the familiar rhythm was not immediately evident. It seemed to take an eternity and he gasped in relief when he finally found the weak irregular beat.

Vaguely aware that someone was moving beside him he looked up to see Taggert cutting Blair lose from the bedpost. That was the first time he was consciously aware of the wires and the damage they had done. He nearly zoned at the volume of blood he saw seeping from the wounds.

His eyes returned swiftly to the face of his friend, partner and Guide. He desperately wanted to reach out and cradle the battered broken body in his arms, to offer Blair some measure of comfort while ensuring himself that Blair was actually alive, but he couldn't determine a way to do that without causing him even more pain. He looked up helplessly, imploringly at Simon who had come to stand on the other side of the bed.

Simon had no idea what to say to the distraught detective. Between him and Taggert they had managed to find some towels and in an effort to staunch the flow of blood had wrapped the bleeding appendages. But it didn't look good. The kid looked like death. Hell he had seen corpses with more color than Sandburg had now. He shook his head trying to dispel the thought. Maybe it was the bright red of all the blood that made it seem worse than it was. Simon turned away before Jim could see that telltale glimmer of moisture in his eyes.

Ellison turned back to his partner and was startled to see dull pain filled blue eyes looking back at him. "Ji..m," came the soft whisper. Had it not been for his heightened sense of hearing Ellison knew he would not have been able to hear it.

"Hey Buddy." He tried to give Sandburg an encouraging smile and knew he failed miserably. "The ambulance is on it's way. You're going to be fine."

Blair was of a different opinion. "...dying...."

"NO! Don't say that. Don't even think it!" Jim's voice rang out in the hushed silence of the room. It then grew softer but was just as insistent. "Dying is not an option here Sandburg, you hear that?" Blair's gaze seemed to shift to a spot over Ellison's shoulder. Jim turned around to see what had captured Blair's attention and when seeing nothing turned back to his partner, worry evident in every fiber of his being. "Sandburg?...Blair?"

Blair was enraptured by the blonde man standing there in the golden glow of light. "I know you?" He asked uncertain.

Simon and Jim exchanged worried glances. This was not a good sign Sandburg was getting disoriented. "Of course you know me Chief." Jim reassured him.

The man smiled. "Yes, we've met on several occasions. My name is Andrew."

"I remember," Blair said breathlessly and Ellison visibly relaxed.

"God sent me to you with a message," Andrew explained. "He wanted you to know that he heard your cries for help and that you were not alone in your hour of need."

"Jim," Blair agreed nodding slightly.

"What is it buddy?" Ellison asked concerned as Blair's attention continued to be focused elsewhere.

"Yes, him too." Andrew smilingly acknowledged. He was very familiar with the history of these two and knew the depth of the feelings and commitment between them. "Despite your tendency to resort to obfuscation from time to time, God is very pleased with you Blair." None of the men in the room could explain the angelic smile that flickered across Sandburg's face. "And although there is much left for you to do, he knows the depth of your suffering. Therefore he offers you this choice. You can come with me now into his kingdom or you can stay here and continue along life's path."

The overwhelming agony made it difficult for him to think. But he knew one thing for certain. "Don't...want to leave....Jim," he gasped in pain then began coughing up blood.

"Then don't!" Ellison told him. He was frantic now at the sight of his friend coughing up blood. "Oh Christ! Blair, don't do this. Please! Just hang on a little bit longer." Jim looked around the room distraught. "Where the hell are the paramedics!" He roared, then turned back as he heard his partner speaking again in hushed tones.

"Hurts... to much." Blair drew in a shallow ragged breath. "Can't..."

Jim watched in horror as the once energetic light in Guide's eyes began to fade. "NO! Damn it Sandburg, you can't do this to me." He slapped Blair across the face. "Come back damn it!"

Hands were suddenly pulling him away. He fought them trying to claw his way back to Sandburg. "Jim!" came the shout accompanied by a sharp stinging slap against his own face. He focused on Simon's face. "The paramedics are here," Simon told him. "You've got to let them do their job."

"It's to late Simon, he's..." He couldn't bring himself to say the word. "... gone."

"No, I won't believe that Jim. The kid wouldn't let you down that way."

Ellison turned tear filled eyes towards his Captain, "You saw him Simon, the condition he was in. This time even Blair's intellect and my Sentinel abilities just weren't enough."

"You're forgetting one thing Jim..." Ellison looked questioningly at his Captain, "...friendship." Both men turned at the sound of the monitor, which was now hooked up to Blair, as it flat lined.


Blair wasn't sure how he had gotten there yet he gazed around him enchanted by the sheer beauty of it all. He was in a meadow filled with wild flowers. Their colors were so bright and intense they were almost painful to look upon. And the air, he took a deep cleansing breath, the air was so crisp and clear that it was intoxicating.

He glanced down at himself noticing for the first time that he was dressed all in white. What surprised him though, as reality came crashing back down, was the fact that he was healthy. There were no broken bones. No blood. And best of all, no horrific pain.

"You were right Tess," came the soft brogue. "He does have the face of an angel."

Startled, Blair spun around at the voice and saw three people sitting on a nearby boulder. The older black woman smiled. "Hello baby, I'm Tess and this is Monica. Andrew you've already met." She said introducing her companions.

Recognizing Andrew, Blair smiled and nodded hello. Suddenly a frown flickered across his face as he wondered aloud, "Am I dead?"

"Not quite Blair," Andrew informed him. "You're sort of in between."

Blair's eyes widened in surprise. "I don't understand."

The three angels looked at each other as if trying to decide who should explain. Finally Tess took control ordering the others. "Help me down from here." Monica and Andrew were quick to comply and soon Tess stood in front of the confused young man. "Blair, baby," she told him gently, "Let me try to explain this to you. This place," she gestured around. "is a sort of a stop gap in between the life as you knew it and the after life that is yet to come." Blair nodded indicating that he understood. "Not everyone comes to this place," Tess continued. "Only those who's time on Earth was inexplicably cut short for whatever reason. Those who..," She paused searching for the proper analogy. "are still sitting on the fence, so to speak."

Blair's face must have mirrored his confusion because Monica chimed in helpfully. "You're in a coma, your physical body is being kept alive by machines."

The young man was visibly upset at this news. "Blair, it doesn't have to be that way." Andrew was quick to reassure him. "You still can make the choice to live."

"I can?! Wait, didn't you offer me this choice once before?"

Andrew smiled. "Yes, I did. But you weren't exactly in any condition to make it at the time." Blair felt ill as the memory of horror and pain came flooding back. "You do realize," Andrew told him, "if you go back, you still have a lot of pain waiting for you. This was only a temporary reprieve."

Determined blue eyes looked up at him. "There is no choice man, I want to go back. Jim needs me."

"He isn't the only one Blair," Monica told him and was rewarded with the most beautiful smile from the young man.

"God won't be upset with me will he?" Blair asked suddenly concerned. "For choosing Jim I mean."

"No baby," Tess reassured him. "God understands and is very pleased with your decision."

"Whew! okay good." Blair replied bouncing slightly with relief. "I just didn't want to get the big guy mad at me, if you know what I mean."

Tess and Monica smiled at his reply then noticed that Andrew seemed distracted. "What is it Andrew?" asked Monica.

Andrew snapped out of his inner contemplation. He seemed concerned. "We have to hurry," he told Blair.

"What is it? What's happening?" Blair was worried now. A distressed angel was not a good sign.

"They've taken you off the machines."

"WHAT!" Blair's mouth dropped open in surprise.

Tess gathered him into a comforting hug then released him. "Hurry, there may still be time."

He walked over to Andrew and paused to look back. "Thank you, I'll never forget you or this." He gestured around.

"Don't worry Blair. We'll be seeing each other again." Monica told him.

"I sure hope so," Blair said with a chuckle. "Considering my track record, I can always use an angel or two," he looked at Andrew and amended, "or three, hanging around."

"We'll be there, for both you and Jim." She replied.

"But right now," Tess added with mock sternness. "you'd better get you're butt in gear and get back there before it's to late."

"Yes Ma'am!" Blair replied cheekily before following Andrew into the mist.


Ellison stared down at the lifeless body of his friend. Against everything that cried out in him not to let Blair go he knew there had been no other choice. Simon echoed this thought out load. "Jim, there wasn't anything else they could do."

Jim sighed. "I know Simon, it's just so..." He swallowed the lump in his throat. "hard to let go... Could you give us a minute alone?"

"Of course Jim." He laid a hand on the detective's shoulder. "I'll be waiting outside. Take your time."

One final time James Ellison went to sit beside his partner. Taking the smaller cold hand in his own he began to speak, silently praying that some how Blair would still be able to hear him. "You know Chief, I never had, no," he corrected, "I never took the time to tell you this. But I want you to know that even though I never said it, you are, were, the best partner and friend I've ever had." He paused, stifling a sob then continued. "It wasn't because you were my Guide, it was because you were you. Enthusiastic, exasperating, compassionate, brave and yeah sometimes annoying, Blair Sandburg." He couldn't bring himself to say any more as tears he had been holding at bay overwhelmed him. He buried his face in the side of the bed and let the tears silently flow.

"Jim, you forgot one thing man." Came the voice so softly that he was sure he had imagined it. Then he heard the familiar heartbeat and his eyes snapped up to find twinkling blue eyes staring back at him. "BLAIR!" Joy threatened to overwhelm him and he was totally unaware of the goofy smile that lit up his face. "What's that Chief?" He asked in response to Blair's comment.

"You forgot to add that I have lousy taste in women." Ellison's smile grew wider at Blair's attempted humor. "Maybe you should start fixing me up with women big guy."

"I don't know about that Sandburg. I don't seem to be doing all that well in that department either."

Blair chuckled, then gasped at the movement. "Whoa, easy there Chief."

"Well then," Blair suggested once he got his breath back. "maybe we should just date each other." He bobbed his eyebrows comically.

They both seemed to consider the possibility, then looking at each other replied in unison, "Nah......"
 
 

The End
 
 

Back To The Saga Index