NELSON STRONACH

Nelson Stronach was born, raised, and educated at his father's home in what was then called Forest Glen (nowadays known as Forest Glade). He is not listed as a head of a household in the 1827 census, but is on the 1838 census. Therefore, one can assume that he married sometime in those years. In 1835, he obtained approximately 160 acres of land from his father. This land was situated along the Fundy shore from about the Kings County line, west along what is now a woods road, to the Evergreen Church corner, and then north along what is also now a woods road to the bluff, then east to the place of beginning at the County line. He built his house and planted an orchard, the remains of which can still be seen back in the woods. He farmed for a living and was listed in the records as a Baptist. His home was accidentally burnt to the ground, according to Katy (Parker) Venner, by Howard Stronach, (s/o Jacob) while he was burning grass. Apparently, he had burned grass one evening, around the year 1918, and when he went back to check the old place the next morning, all that remained were the ashes. Nelson died 21 Feb 1878 at the age of 72 years, 7 months, and his grave marker can be seen in the Old Margaretsville Cemetery.

Margaret Fales, the wife of Nelson, was a daughter of Daniel Fales and his wife, Elizabeth Larlie, who was from New Brunswick. Margaret's mother was the daughter of Dr. Larley of France, (according to a booklet, "Reunion of the Family of Parker and Lily Bent, 1980") who was a surgeon in Montcalm's army in Quebec. Dr. Larley was connected to the Royal Family of Bourbon. Margaret was a niece of Nelson's mother, which would have made her a cousin to Nelson. She was listed as being a widow, aged 74 years in the 1881 census, but as no death record has been found it is not known when she died.

NOTE:
In the Old Wilmot Cemetery, near the Annapolis and Kings County line, is a stone with the following inscription:

Abraham Stronach - 16 July 1836 - 3 August 1837
Margaret Stronach - 12 May 1840 - 16 November 1843

No indication is given as to the parentage of these children, but by the process of elimination, Nelson and Margaret would seem to be the most likely to have been their parents. One thing to be considered in this theory is whether the child, Margaret, might've been a twin to Dr. Abraham, since his birth year on his gravestone is given as 1840, or whether he may have been born the previous or following year to 1840. To further substantiate the theory, Nelson's wife was named Margaret, and four years following the death of this child, Abraham, they named a son Abraham. It was a common practice to name a child for a parent (Margaret) and also to name a subsequent child for one who had previously died (Abraham).

NELSON STRONACH; (GeoG1) b. Jul 1805; d. 21 Feb 1878, age 72 years, 7 months; m. MARGARET FALES, d/o Daniel; b. 17 Jan 1806; she was age 85 on the 1891 census; no death record found.

Their children:

1. WILLIAM ELDER STRONACH; b. ca. 1832; residing in USA in 1911; d. 15 Dec 1917, age 86; at County Home, Bridgetown, NS and was buried in Margaretsville (funeral home records).. (In the 15th Dec 1911 issue of the Middleton "Outlook", William Elder is listed as the only surviving child of Nelson and Margaret, in the obituary of his brother, Spurgeon Stronach.)

2. SUSAN JANE STRONACH; b. ca. 1832-33; m. 11 Dec 1860 JOHN O. DANN of Kingston Parish, NB, s/o James.

3. ALFRED STRONACH; he was physically handicapped and worked in a candy factory in the USA. He died and was buried in Maryland, USA. When he visited NS, he used to laughingly tell his nieces and nephews that licorice candy was candy that was scrapped up off the floor of the factory.

4. ENOCH JUDSON STRONACH; b. ca. 1837; see note at bottom of page.

5. (Dr.) ABRAHAM STRONACH; 1840-1894, (d. on 7 Oct 1894); m. 26 Oct 1880, JESSIE GATES, 1848-1942.

6. MARY E. STRONACH; b. ca. 1843; m. 5 Jun 1869, HORATIO NELSON BENT; b. ca. 1846.

7. JACOB REIS STRONACH; b. ca. 1843; d. 20 Jan 1892, age 49 years; m. 30 Mar 1882, MARY ALICE BAKER, b. ca. 1864; d. 1 Feb 1950.

8. SPURGEON STRONACH; b. ca. 1850; d. 1911, in Massachusetts.

NOTE:
From a book about graduates of Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, comes this information, kindly provided by Ruth Burgess:

"Enoch Judson Stronach - a B.A. from Acadia College in 1862. Had a business in Nictaux, NS. Studied Medicine at Boston University, receiving a diploma in 1879. Practiced as Homeopathic Physcician and as a Dentist in Boston. In broken health, he returned to Nictaux in 1891. He died 5 Feb 1892."