The following is from the book The surnames of Scotland : their origin, meaning and history by George F. Black, Ph.D. (1866-1948)

"STRONACH. An epithet from G. [Gaelic] sronach, 'nosey', "but from what special feature of the organ the name is derived it seems impossible in our day to determine." The surname seems to be confined mainly to Aberdeenshire. Duncan Stronach witnessed registration of the bell of S. Meddan in 1447 (SCM, iv. p. 118), James Stronach was chaplain at Kilrawok in 1524 (Rose, p. 199), Andro Stonoch was redare at Dippill, 1574 (RMR), John Stronoche was tenat of the marquis of Huntlie in 1586, and justice administered on Andrew Stronocht in Scotfauld, Spynie, in 1594 (SCM, iv. p. 284; 11 p. 126). Agnes Stronach in Kingsgate, 1688, and seven more are recorded in the Commissariot Record of Moray.

STRONO. Perhaps for Stronach, cf Tullo for Tulloch, etc. Adam Strono of Scotland was illegally arrested at Lowestoff, 1405 (Bain, iv, 690) Elene Strono, 1524."

**I've been taking Scottish Gaelic classes for the past few years (in the evening) and in Gaelic when there is an "sr" together, a "t" sound is put in between, thus does Sronach (gaelic form of our name) become Stronach. I was also told the name means "nosey".

NOTES ON STRONACH COAT OF ARMS

The following information was taken from a letter (published in the book "Three spades deep : the Stronach saga) from the Secretary to the Lord Lyon. The Lord Lyon is responsible for looking after the Coats of Arms in Scotland.

"In Scotland, Arms belong to those individuals who record them in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland and they are personal heritable property passing to the heir in each generation of the original Grantee. Other descendants bearing the name who wish to use the Arms first require to record a differenced versions of the Arms in the Public Register in their own name. You will thus see that in Scotland there is no such thing as a family Coat of Arms which all people bearing the same surname may use. I have made a search of the Publid Register and I find that only one person with the surname Stronach has recorded arms therein and this recording took place in 1867 in the name of Alexander Stronach, a manager of the City of Glasgow Bank in Glasgow and the Arms were destined to Alexander Stronach and to his descendants."