Title: Young And Old

Author: Amarin Rose

Email: AmarinRose@aol.com

Website: http://www.fanfiction.net/~AmarinRose

Archive: Yes

Rating: PG

Pairings: Yami/Yugi, Methos/Richie

Summary: Two five-thousand-year-old beings meet and discuss the problems and pitfalls of having younger lovers.


Young And Old
By Amarin Rose
***


"So, basically you're saying that you're going to live forever -- or close to it, anyway -- all because something freaky happened when you died about 5,000 years ago, give or take a few centuries; and you don't even remember exactly what happened, because your memories of that time seem to have disappeared?"

The tall man with the long nose nodded. "That's right."

Yami sighed and leaned back in his chair. "Oh, I *so* know where you're coming from. At least you got to actually *live* those five millennia -- *I* was stuck in a golden puzzle. And when Yugi finally *got* the puzzle, I had to wait another eight years for him to put it together. And then it took *another* year for him to realize I was actually another person, and another *two* years for me to figure out how to create my own body. And all through that time people I don't remember kept popping up wanting to *kill* me."

In Methos' five thousand years of life he had seen and heard many things, but this took the cake. He wasn't even able to keep his surprise from showing on his face. "Well, I definitely got off easier -- I actually remember most of the people who want to kill me. But at least *you* didn't spend almost two thousand years during the Bronze Age as one of the Four Horsemen."

"The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Pestilence, Famine, War and Death?" Yami asked, interested.

Methos nodded. "Yes. I was Death on a Pale Horse." Rolling his eyes he said, "And now I teach history to a bunch of Japanese high school students."

Yami smirked and said, "I was Yu-Gi-Oh, King of Games, Pharaoh of all Egypt and Prince of the Shadow Realm." He shrugged and said with a sheepish grin, "And now I'm *one* of those Japanese high school students."

Yugi, who had gone pretty much unnoticed during their conversation by staying on the other side of the Game Shop, burst out into giggles. At both Yami and Methos' glares he managed to get out, "Oh, how the mighty have fallen." He then broke out into laughter again.

Methos just sent Yami a commiserating look. "I have one at home, too. His name's Richie Ryan."

Yami sighed and said, "Yeah, but at least *your* lover doesn't look like he's twelve."

Methos snorted. "Doesn't *look* it, no. Acts like it some times."

Yami looked at Yugi -- who was still convulsing on the floor in his giggling fit -- and shook his head, tri-colored hair flying. "I feel your pain."

Methos just ignored the chuckling teen on the floor and said, "So, anyway, back to the reason I came in here: Richie has gotten really into this card game, Duel Monsters, and since I'm always up for a good game, I wondered if there's anything you could show me?"

A slow smile spreading across his face, Yami said, "Oh, *can* I?"

Somehow Methos got the feeling he was in over his head. But at least he'd probably still leave here with it attached.

Probably.


END