The Eyes Of A Child

by Morgana

Email: morganalebeau@yahoo.com

Fandom: XMen

Rating: NC-17

Pairings: Remy/Scott

Summary: Remy is living on the streets of New Orleans until he meets Jean-Luc LeBeau and his life changes drastically.

Many thanks to Mems for beta reading the parts

NOTE: These are four stories and should be read in the correct order, otherwise they won't make much sense. The Eyes Of A Child is the first story, followed by Shadows and Insanity. Return to Innocence is now finished. Please note that this story deals with rape and child abuse and is therefore rated NC-17.

Authors Warning! Please read this warning carefully and then decide whether or not to read "Eyes of a child".

In this story I describe Remy's childhood in an Alternate Universe. Remy escapes from the Antiquary, but ends up on the streets of New Orleans where he has to survive on his own. He doesn't have any real friends and is forced to sell his body to stay alive. Remy is a nine year hustler in this story and the sexual acts are described in a graphic manner. There is even one scene in which Remy faces rape. If you don't like to read these kind of stories go back and chose another story or go to another site. Please do not write me, telling me I've got a sick mind. This is fanfiction and like all my other stories this one will have a happy end.

Author's note - I stole Jean-Luc's speech from http://library.magellanspecialty.com/healthmessages/Sexuality.htm as I don't know too much about the subject myself. No copyright infringement is intended.

THE EYES OF A CHILD

by Morgana

 

Prologue

1976, New Orleans.

"I succeeded at last!" The doctor's triumphant cry echoed through the room, overpowering everything, even the newborn's frightened cries and sobs. Roughly, he pushed the baby's eyelids further apart and grinned. "Red on black..."

"Please... doctor... Doctor Essex, please give me my child!" Exhausted, the mother tried to struggle upright, but she was bleeding internally, slowly bleeding to death. The need to hold her baby overwhelmed her and she didn't even wonder why her doctor wasn't taking care of her.

"He's mine now," Essex spat, impatiently. "I have no more need for you." While holding the baby in his left hand, he placed his right on her throat and his fingers began to squeeze the life out of her. "Puny humans... you die so easily."

While watching the life flee her body, he rocked the baby, trying to calm him down. The baby's screams would surely attract unwanted attention. "You belong to me," he whispered, cocking his head to study the baby. The mother's chest rose one more time, then collapsed in death. "You're mine."

"Doctor Essex?" Several voices sounded from the other side of the door and Essex acted quickly. He placed the baby on the bed next to his mother and pretended to be performing CPR when the medical team crashed into the room.

"It's too late. She's dead, but the baby seems healthy." Essex quickly cradled the baby in his arms. "You take care of her remains and I'll run some tests on the baby to make sure there are no complications." Ignoring the medical staff, he left the room, carrying the baby with him.

His eyes flashed red, briefly, then turned human again. Soon, soon the baby would be in his laboratory and he could conduct every experiment he'd ever wanted to!

The baby cried again and tears dripped down his face as if mourning his mother's death.

*

"We must carry out de Antiquary's orders, Jean-Luc. If he wants de chile, let him have it! It's an abomination!"

Jean-Luc felt used and angry. The Antiquary had miraculously appeared in his home and demanded he steal a child and bring the baby to him. The Antiquary had even given him the address and the room number!

"Somet'in' feels wrong, Etienne. It feels wrong to condemn anot'er chile to de Velvet Ministry. We don' know what he does to dem, mais..." He had visited the Antiquary’s home a few times and the children there had reminded him of the living dead. Their eyes were vacant and their voices flat.

"He protects de T'ieves Guild, Jean-Luc! Wit'out him, de Assassins would have seized control a long time ago. We need him!" Etienne followed Jean-Luc, as the master thief led him through the hospital corridors. "De chile ain' even human!"

Jean-Luc cursed privately. The Antiquary had told them that the baby had red on black eyes and that it was the Devil's mark on him so the old man wanted the child for his collection. "Etienne, he's only a bébé! What 'bout de mère?"

"Dat ain' our problem, Jean-Luc." Etienne halted in front of room 414. "Dis is it. De chile should be in here."

Jean-Luc opened the door and soundlessly slipped inside. Looking at the crib, he saw a small baby, far too small and he pushed back part of the blanket to reveal the baby's face. A divine smile greeted him and then the large eyes opened. He'd always been a sucker for big baby eyes, except... these were red on black. "Mon Dieu, it's true."

Looking closer he saw tear tracks down the baby's face. "He's been cryin'." Unable to control his instincts, he reached out and touched the baby's face, caressing it gently. Picking him up, he cradled the boy against his chest, rocking it.

"Jean-Luc, we need to leave! I hear footsteps closin' in on us." Etienne opened the window, swung a rope to the opposite roof and returned to Jean-Luc. "We got to go... now!"

"De Devil's eyes and an angel's smile... Etienne, we can' give him to de Antiquary!"

"We must!" Etienne pushed his friend toward the window. "Hurry!"

Jean-Luc looked back at the crib, and wished he could put the baby back. "He should be wit' his mère..." But Etienne jolted him into action and he followed his fellow thief to the opposite roof.

The baby began to cry softly and the tiny hands blindly reached for him. Jean-Luc fought back a tear.How can I justify handin' you over to de Antiquary? He'll ruin your life, petit, mais I don' have a choice. He offered the baby his left thumb and the child suckled on it. The smile returned to the boy's face and the alien eyes seemed to flare with comfort. I'm sorry, petit. I wish dere was anot'er way...

While maintaining a tight hold on the baby boy, he threw back his head. Heavy rain began to fall and it was almost like the heavens shed the tears he couldn't cry.

*

The Antiquary held his breath, delighted that Jean-Luc LeBeau had carried out his orders and had brought him the child. The two thieves now stood in front of him and Jean-Luc was clutching the baby protectively. "Give him to me," he whispered, slowly.

Jean-Luc shivered, hearing the old man's tone and reluctantly placed the baby in the Antiquary's arms.

"Blanc, you will paint me, paint me while I'm holding the chile in my arms!" The Antiquary posed while his assistant, a young man called Blanc, began sketching.

"Monsieur, de chile is wet and cold... mebbe he needs some milk, non?" Jean-Luc had found some blood on the baby's body while carrying him and had realized with a shock that he was truly carrying a newborn. The baby was only a few hours old!

"Later!" The Antiquary straightened his back and threw back his head in glorious victory. "De chile is mine and I decide what he needs and doesn't!"

The baby began to scream and his head lolled against the old man's chest. The tiny body was shivering and Jean-Luc's hands turned into fists. Why? Why does he want dis chile so bad? Why dis one?

"Because he's special, Jean-Luc," the Antiquary whispered, contently. "Dis newborn is more powerful dan you and I will ever be. He will keep me alive, sustain me..."

Puzzled, Jean-Luc tried to make sense of the old man's last remark, but failed. "Respectfully Antiquary, mais de bébé needs...."

"Rien!" The Antiquary sneered. "You bore me to death, LeBeau, leave me!"

Etienne trembled, feeling the old man's power. "Jean-Luc, let's go. We did our job; we did well. We can go home to our families now."

Jean-Luc felt paralyzed as Etienne pulled him toward the doorway. The baby boy was crying again and the cries made him flinch. I can' leave him here!

Suddenly, he was standing in the corridor and the door behind him slammed shut, jolting him from his thoughts and back to reality. I left him dere! I left him dere! I should have opposed de old man! I should have...

"Jean-Luc? Let's go home. I'm sure Henri will want to see his père and Claire is waiting for her husband to join dem for dinner. You have a family to go home to. Forget 'bout de abomination. De Antiquary will protect de Guild from de Devil's spawn." Etienne smiled and pushed Jean-Luc toward the front door.

Jean-Luc was tempted to run back, snatch the baby from the monster's arms, but knew his attempt to save the child would be useless. The Antiquary would never let go of his possessions. I'll come back and help you escape, I promise, petit.

Determined to help the boy, Jean-Luc let Etienne guide him back on to the street. He had to bide his time and wait for the right opportunity to spring the child

*

"No!" Essex' face contorted with anger at finding the baby gone. "No, it's impossible! I only left the room for five minutes! He can't be gone!" Fed by his anger, the transformation into Sinister started. Cold, red eyes locked on the crib and he could still feel the baby's body heat when he placed his hand inside the crib.

"All these years... all this work... the genes, lost... It will take me years, maybe even decades to re-construct his DNA!" Stunned, he looked at the open window. Someone had taken the baby, if only he knew who had dared to cross him. "The gene pool... lost... those precious genes..."

Standing tall, he looked out over the city. How hard could it be to find a baby with alien eyes? I'll find you and when I do, I'll never let you out of my laboratory again.

 

Chapter One
The Antiquary

"Come here, Mauve," the Antiquary hissed, selecting one child from the twenty kneeling in front of him. While the chosen child approached, he felt red on black eyes on him, settling on his back. "Don' you dare move, Noir, or you'll pay for your disobedience in ways you can’t imagine."

The boy called Mauve hesitantly approached and he smiled, faking his friendliness. "Come here, chile." He'd given them names derived from colors to make sure they never found out their real names. Mauve came to a halt in front of him and he raised his bony hand to caress the boy's beautiful face. "Boticelli might have painted you as one of his divine angels." His fingers tangled in the boy's long hair and he nodded his head, staring into the mauve colored eyes. "You're special too, mon fils."

From the corner of his eyes he caught Noir flinch and he picked up anger and fear from the young mutant. The red on black eyes still fascinated him after nine years. "I'll call you to me later, Noir. Now stay on your knees and don' move!"

The boy's jaw set firmly, hearing that he was next. Mauve couldn't give the Antiquary the life energy the old man needed, so the Antiquary would call another... and another, until he felt strong again. Noir, he hated his name, hated the impersonal way the old monster treated them. Although it was evening they hadn't had a bite to eat all day and he had been kneeling next to the old man's chair for countless hours.

"Rose, Rouge, hold Mauve while I... take care of my needs," the Antiquary ordered and waited for the two older boys to wrap their arms around Mauve. "I'm so hungry, chile... so hungry."

Although the Antiquary wanted them to watch, Noir averted his eyes, knowing what would happen from personal experience.

The Antiquary placed his hands on both sides of Mauve's head and then pressed his chapped lips against the boy's, instigating a brutal kiss. Mauve struggled, but the hold was too tight and the Antiquary delighted in feeling the boy's fear and panic. His mind shifted, invaded the boy's and he relished the energy and power from the young mutant that would now sustain him. He needed their energy, their power. It was the only way he could exist. If he stopped feeding on them he would be dead within weeks.

Noir glanced at them and watched as the white energy rose from Mauve's lips and flowed into the Antiquary's mouth. Mauve was twitching, no longer trying to break free. Rose and Rouge had to support him or he would have fallen. The Antiquary, the leech, was still sucking the life energy from Mauve.

And after he finished wit' Mauve it's my turn... He shivered violently, knowing the Antiquary would drain him in a few minutes. If only it didn't hurt so much!

"Oui!" The Antiquary cried out in ecstasy, dropping Mauve onto the floor. "Now get me that one," he told the two other boys while pointing at Noir.

"Non, m'sieur, please... don' do it. You fed on me only yesterday... I still feel weak. Dere's li'l I can give you!" But his pleas were in vain as Rose and Rouge grabbed him roughly, dragging him to his feet so the Antiquary could easily brush his lips to start the energy transfer. "Please, M'sieur..." he sobbed, trying to mentally prepare himself for the pain, but failing miserably.

"Ah, you're très beau, petit... You're the strongest here, Noir... the strongest and the most beau. You'll keep me alive. When you are old and broken, your powers will still ensure my strength. I'll keep you forever..."

"Non..." he sobbed, struggling against the hold, but the boys only tightened it. "Please, non..." He tried to back away when the Antiquary leaned in closer, but Rouge cupped the back of his head in his hand and kept him steady. "Non..." The old man's lips brushed his and his body tensed completely, knowing the familiar pain would envelop him within seconds, and yes, it had started already.

The Antiquary's mind moved into his, placing itself over his thoughts as a shield, making it impossible for him to think clearly. The old man raced through his thoughts, his dreams, his hopes until he finally arrived at his core. 'Yes...' the Antiquary sighed inside his mind, tapping into his powers and draining him.

His breath was coming in spurts and his sight had grown blurry. Rose and Rouge were still holding him up and the Antiquary towered above him, smirking triumphantly. His knees gave out beneath him and he swayed on his feet. Rouge and Rose laid him down on the floor and the old man followed, never letting go of his lips. Please stop, m'sieur, hurts!

Be quiet, Noir, I'm not finished yet!

Hearing the Antiquary's voice in his mind always scared the hell out of him and he pinched his eyes shut, trying to lock out the pain. But the Antiquary's face stared back at him from within his soul and the pain was building. His bones were turning to jelly, his blood stilled in his veins, his eyes went dry and shriveled... the pain was too much and he passed out.

Displeased, the Antiquary released the boy's lips. This one's power was so strong, so young, so vital and it was tempting to feed on him every day, but he had to restrain himself or he'd kill the boy within weeks. "Make sure he rests... And look after Mauve as well," he added, barely acknowledging the two boys. As he sat down on his chair, he felt vibrant and alive.

*

"Noir? Noir? Can you hear me, mon ami?"

The pleading voice finally penetrated the fog surrounding his thoughts and he opened his red on black eyes. "Merde..." he whispered. "Can' move, Mauve."

Mauve struggled onto his knees and crawled toward him. "You look sick, Noir. How long did he have you?"

"Too long." He tried to shift onto his left side to lessen the nausea that was threatening to overwhelm him. He didn't want to throw up all over himself! "Did dey leave us some water?"

Mauve looked about and smiled, seeing a full water bottle. "Oui." He reached for it, uncapped it and helped his friend sit upright. "Take a few sips, leave some for me..."

Noir moaned as the cool and comforting liquid flowed down his throat. "He never held on dat long 'fore..." He still felt the old man's presence in his mind, watching him, making him a prisoner in his own mind. It was the worst invasion of his being he'd ever experienced.

"Hey, I want more water!" But Mauve was emptying the bottle himself. Being the weaker one he couldn't stop Mauve and told himself to be grateful for the little water Mauve had given him.

Lying down again, he tried to make himself as comfortable as possible on the dirty mattress. "How long do you t'ink he will keep us here?" He was scared to close his eyes, scared the Antiquary would suddenly call for him again.

Mauve shrugged his shoulders and laid down beside his friend, trying to get as close as possible to soak up Noir's body heat. "A few hours? A few days? He'll let us go once we've got our strength back."

"Den we can go back to our beds and get some sleep..."

The boys didn't understand why the Antiquary ordered the ones he had fed on to be taken to this basement. It was cold and dark, and the mattress damp and worn.

Suddenly the door opened and Rouge stepped inside. The sixteen year old red headed boy shyly entered the basement and put a tray filled with sandwiches and wine in front of them. "He wants you to eat. You can return to your rooms when you can walk on your own." Rouge backed away and locked the door behind him. "I'm sorry... sorry we had to hold you down..." The whispered words drifted through the door and into the basement.

How many times had he heard their apologies? Oui, they felt sorry, but they still did what the old monster said! "Mauve! Gimme a sandwich!"

"I'm hungry, Noir!" Reluctantly, Mauve handed his friend a sandwich. "You can have de wine, I'll stick to de water."

"I don' wanna drink de wine eit'er," Noir whispered; it would make him feel out of control.

"Too bad!" Mauve grabbed the water bottle and squeezed the last drops from it.

Slowly, Noir reached for the wine and sipped it. It took away his awful thirst and would make him fall asleep again. "Dis is hell, Mauve... what did we do to deserve hell? We didn' commit no crime...did we?"

Mauve shrugged his shoulders again. "It's betta dan livin' on de streets, mon ami. We don' have parents and we're... different. We wouldn' survive on our own."

After finishing his sandwich, Noir sipped from the wine once more and then snuggled up on the mattress. "I'd survive... I would..."

"Forget about it, Noir. He'll never let you go! We'll all die sustainin' him." The boy's tone softened briefly. "I know it's harder on you dan for us. He feeds on you almost every day and... I know how much it hurts."

Closing his eyes, he pretended to be asleep. I can' stay here! I'll die if I stay. Mon Dieu, please let me find a way out! Please! Too tired from the recent power drain, his eyes slipped shut and he fell asleep.

Mauve unwrapped the blanket from his own form and draped it over his friend, knowing Noir needed the warmth.

*

"I can walk," he said, determinedly, and allowed Mauve to support him unnoticed.

Rose, convinced that the boys could walk, nodded his head. "Return to your rooms and wait until de Antiquary calls for you 'gain." Rose left them alone.

"Mauve, I can' make it on my own," he admitted. "My head's spinnin' and..."

"Bien, Noir, hold on to me. I'll take you to your room." Mauve kept a close eye on his surroundings, knowing he would be in a lot of trouble if the Antiquary caught him supporting his friend.

"Merci, Mauve, merci..."

Together they mastered the stairs and Mauve helped him lie down on his bed. The luxury of the room stood in stark contrast to the basement. Silk sheets, a burning fire place, and garments made from the finest linen, gave the room a false sense of home.

"You'll be bien, Noir. I'm goin' to my own room, now, bien?" Mauve felt nervous; the Antiquary didn't want the boys to befriend each other and they were already closer than was allowed.

"Oui, go," he whispered, pulling the warm, soft comforter over his body and hiding beneath it. "Mais leave de light on!" Although bright lights hurt his eyes he couldn't sleep in the complete dark any longer, not after he'd found the Antiquary at his bedside one night, ready to claim his lips and drain him.

"Sure," Mauve said reassuringly and turned the nightlight on. "Bien?" Mauve softly closed the door behind him and headed for his own room.

"Bien," Noir sighed contentedly. Feeling warm, his eyes closed again, only to flash open again when he heard noises coming from the doorway. He elbowed himself into a sitting position and found that the old man was standing in the doorway. Shivers ran up and down his spine and his teeth chattered.

The old man seemed to float inside, his feet never touching the ground. "You served me well tonight."

Too weak to jump up from the bed, he could only stare as the ghastly apparition advanced on him. What does he want from me? Why me?

"From now on you won' leave your room without my explicit permission."

The red on black eyes widened. "Why m'sieur? Did I displease you?" He wouldn't see Mauve or any of the other boys again if he was confined to his room!

"You're gettin' too friendly with the others and I can' allow dat. You'll spend your days in here." He raised his hand and tangled it in the boy's silken hair. "You're too valuable, Noir."

He shuddered beneath the touch and sighed, relieved when the old man left his room. Looking about, he took in his room, his new prison. Non! I won' stay! I will find a way to get 'way from him!

*

"Noir! The Antiquary wants you at his side. I'm here to help you get dressed." Jaune stormed into his room, looking dazed and nervous. "We only have ten minutes to get you ready."

"I ain' sure I can get to my feet," he whispered, feeling weaker than ever before. This last week the old man had fed on him every night and he was barely able to push down the blanket.

"You're supposed to drink dis, hurry!" Jaune, a fifteen year old boy with white hair and haunted green eyes handed him a goblet filled with a dark liquid.

It wasn't the first time the Antiquary had ordered him to drink this vile substance. It would strengthen him temporarily and then he'd crash hard. He had no way out and emptied the goblet. "Why does he want me to come downstairs?" He felt like a rag doll when Jaune began to dress him in a blue silk shirt and black, velvet trousers.

"He's expecting a visitor... an important one," Jaune revealed as he finished dressing Noir. Quickly, he combed the long auburn hair and he let it hang loose, just the way the Antiquary liked it. After helping the boy to step into his shoes, he shooed Noir toward the doorway.

He stumbled over his own two feet after being horizontal this last week. Jaune caught him and he held on, making it downstairs. Slowly, the Antiquary's concoction began to take effect and he felt stronger, experimentally brushing off Jaune's arm. Yes, he could walk on his own. He had to!

*

"Stand beside me and don' speak or move without my permission," the Antiquary said, pleased that the boy was standing at his side.

"Oui, m'sieur." Noir leaned slightly against the wall behind him. When the old man didn't reprimand him, he sighed softly. This way he could make it through the next few hours.

"Jean-Luc LeBeau, Patriarch of the Thieves Guild of New Orleans, wishes an audience with you, Antiquary."

"Who are you?" The Antiquary's eyes narrowed.

"My name is Henri LeBeau and I'm the Patriarch’s son," Henri said proudly.

The Antiquary nodded his head. "Let him enter, but tell him to remain at a distance."

Henri joined his father and the two Cajuns returned again, standing in front of the Antiquary, then kneeling and bowing their heads. "Merci for granting us dis audience, Antiquary," Henri said, while his eyes scanned the room. Twenty boys stood behind the throne, close to the Antiquary and they seemed confused, their eyes vacant and lost.

Jean-Luc was doing the same thing, checking the boys' faces, searching for the alien eyes that haunted him every night since he'd stolen the baby from the hospital. Looking up at the Antiquary his gaze was drawn to the pale and skinny boy next to the old man. The auburn hair reached the boy's shoulders and the red on black eyes were lowered; the boy was staring at the floor, seemingly oblivious to his surroundings. Or mebbe he's only actin'... tryin' to fool us.

Seeing the boy after nine long years shocked him. He'd tried before to get an audience with the Antiquary, but had always been denied that privilege... until now. The Assassins were gaining strength and they needed the Antiquary to set the balance straight again.

"So, de Assassins are causin' problems?" The Antiquary raised his hand and rested it on Noir's head, stroking the long hair absentmindedly.

He shivered under the caress, but forced himself to remain motionless. The old man always sensed his fear and he couldn't let his panic show in front of the other boys. They would only make fun of him later. They all feared the Antiquary and tried hard to gain his favor by making fun of the weaker ones.

"Oui, de fightin' started 'gain. T’ieves and Assassins are killin' each other. We need your help, Antiquary." Jean-Luc hated to grovel like this, but the Antiquary loved to feel in control and would be more inclined to help him. Unnoticed, he managed to keep an eye on the boy he had stolen from the hospital nine years ago. His plan had better work, because this was the only chance he'd get!

The Antiquary fingered a lock of auburn hair, considering Jean-Luc's request. The master thief had delivered the mutant boy into his hands years ago and he wanted to keep the Patriarch on his good side; Jean-Luc probably figured the Antiquary owed him. "Oui, I'll help de T’ieves regain their position. Now leave me. There are more... delicious matters I have to attend to."

Jean-Luc caught the boy's shivers and he wondered what had caused them. Did the Antiquary abuse the kids? Looking at their faces, he read the answer in their eyes; they were nothing but rag dolls, ready to carry out the Antiquary's orders. Contrary to the others, the red on black eyed boy still seemed defiant. Now, Etienne, now!

An explosion rocked the building and the children stared at each other in panic. The Antiquary was too surprised to act and the boys ran off in different directions as a huge smoke cloud drifted into the room.

Jean-Luc was already on his way to the boy when he found the spot next to the Antiquary empty. Merde, where did he go? Why didn' I keep my eye on him? I don' even know what name to call to get his attention!

The Antiquary composed himself and noticed the boy's disappearance as well. "Bring Noir to me, now go and find him!" The few boys that had stayed behind or had returned nodded their heads and went in search of Noir.

Noir, Jean-Luc thought. Who calls a boy Noir? De chile deserves a bon name! The Antiquary told him to leave the premises until they had figured out what had caused the explosion and he obeyed eagerly. I've got to find de chile! Mon Dieu, help him when he hits de streets! He knows rien 'bout life on de streets!

Jean-Luc's mouth turned dry, realizing what danger the boy was in.

Chapter two
Bourbon Street

Running, he was running harder than he ever had before and he didn't have any place to go. The moment he left the Antiquary's home, he crashed on to a busy street and people almost knocked him over. Men in suits, women in pretty dresses and kids running and whining were suddenly all around him. His eyes almost popped from their sockets and he flung himself against the wall, trying to hide from their eyes.

Shocked, he stared at the crowd. Although he was still trying to deal with the sudden noise, he noticed one thing straight away; his clothes made him seem oddly out of place. No one was wearing silk or velvet!

Moving, he had to keep moving and stay ahead of the Antiquary, who would doubtlessly hunt him down. Suddenly, a large man bounced into him, knocked him off his feet and he crawled back to his feet. The man hadn’t even apologized or helped him!

Dese people don' care,he realized with a start. He was all alone here. Yes, he had rid himself of the Antiquary, but now he was at the mercy of these strangers! Picking up speed, he moved with the crowd until he ended up on an even busier street. The sun was setting and a million lights were switching on, blinding him.

Moaning in pain, he managed to drag himself into an alley, where he massaged his throbbing brow and temples. He had told Mauve he could survive on his own, but now he was no longer sure of his survival skills. Maybe he should go back to the Antiquary? At least there he had shelter and food.

Non! I ain' goin' back, ever! Somehow he'd find a way to survive! Now that the darkness of the alley shielded his eyes, he took in his surroundings. The houses were all illuminated and there was writing on them. He cursed the Antiquary for not teaching him how to read or write; the old man had deemed that unnecessary.

Several men left the houses and swayed onto the street, singing and swinging a bottle. Their eyes were glazed and he shrunk back instinctively, trying to make himself invisible. Then he noticed the girls. They only wore tiny shirts and skirts and didn't seem cold at all, while he was freezing. They talked to the swaying men and tried to lure them back inside again.

Scared, yet curious at the same time, he watched the men disappear into the houses. Looking up, something caught his attention. A man and a woman had retreated into the alley as well and the man was panting hard.What are dey doin'? In the end, his curiosity won and he sneaked a little closer.

The woman had unbuttoned the man's trousers and... Noir cocked his head, trying to get a better look. She was pulling at something and... Why is she goin' down on her knees? One more step and he was close enough to see what they were doing.

Mon Dieu! What? Noir looked down at his own body and frowned. Why was the woman licking the man's penis? Why? Does he have to pee and can' and she's somehow helpin' him? It just didn't make any sense.

The man began to pant harder and Noir found himself holding his breath. He was unable to take his eyes off the scene, instinctively waiting for whatever would follow next. Noir gasped when the man clutched the woman's head and drove her against his stomach. She yelped softly and then cursed, while the man seemed to tense and shiver.

"Bastard!" she spat in disgust. "I said I didn't swallow. That'll cost you extra!"

The man laughed, buttoned up again and threw a piece of paper at her. "Here you've got another ten, whore."

Stunned, Noir backed away from them and collapsed against the wall, slowly sliding down onto the cobblestone where he wrapped his arms around his cold body. He didn't understand what he had witnessed, but feared knotted his stomach and he began to heave. The dry heaves only lasted a few minutes, but he felt wretched and exhausted.

"What do we have here?"

The voice startled him and he jumped to his feet. He wanted to start running, but a hand grabbed his shoulder and spun him around. A man, dressed in dark clothes, stood in front of him and left him no way out. "Lemme go, m'sieur, please!" He kicked; trying to struggle free, but the man effortlessly lifted him, until his feet were no longer in contact with the cobblestone. Lemme go! Don' take me back to de Antiquary.

A bright flashlight made him cry out in pain and he tried to cover his eyes with his hand. The big man didn't let him and he began to cry, overwhelmed by everything he had witnessed since fleeing the Antiquary's home. Mebbe Mauve was right. Mebbe I can' do this... mebbe I can' survive on my own, mais I can' go back eit'er...

"Are you hungry, kid?"

"De lights... hurt my eyes." He was shaking like a leaf and still trying to struggle free from the man's hold.

"Don't be scared, kid. My name is MacAfee, Officer MacAfee. I'm a cop." He tried to keep the shock from his voice, staring into red on black eyes. Why did the boy have alien eyes? Did it matter? The boy obviously needed help.

Suddenly his feet touched the cobblestone again and he hesitantly glanced up at the man. Friendly brown eyes stared back at him and the gentle grin on the man's face made him smile back. "M'sieur."

"What's a kid your age doing out here alone?" MacAfee leaned in closer, keeping his smile in place. The last thing he wanted was to scare the kid. "Where are your parents? Where do you life?"

"Parents?" He repeated the strange word. "What are parents?"

MacAfee's eyes grew big. "You got hit over the head or what? Maybe I should take you to the hospital."

Hospital? Non, don' like de sound of dat. I don' want to be locked up in some strange place. Looking about, he decided that he wanted to stay on the streets where he could run into a deserted alley when necessary. His stomach growled hungrily and he wrapped his arms around his abdomen.

"Maybe we should grab a bite to eat?" MacAfee suggested. He would try to win the kid's trust and then take him to the hospital to have him checked out. The parents were probably going crazy, now that their kid was missing.

"Eat? As in food?" He was hungry and had no idea where and how to get something to eat. "Oui."

"Gimme your hand, kid." MacAfee extended his hand. He frowned as the boy jerked back and tried to hide in the shadows. "Okay, kid, I won't touch you, just let's get something to eat, alright?"

"Eat, oui..." The man moved away and he followed MacAfee, but never moved close enough for the man to touch him. Officer... the man had said he was an officer. "What's an officer?"

"I'm a cop," MacAfee explained; it was unbelievable that this kid didn't know what parents and cops were! "I take care of people who need help."

I need help... non, I don' need help! Can survive on my own! He was almost knocked from his feet when they mixed with the crowd, but suddenly MacAfee had a strong hold on his shoulder and... Rose and Rouge were holding him down, making it easy for the Antiquary to drain him and... reliving the flashback, he broke free and began to run again.

"Hey, kid, wait for me!" MacAfee tried to follow the boy, but soon lost the kid amidst the crowd. "Damn! If the pimps get hold of him..." Feeling discouraged, MacAfee walked toward the coffee shop where he had wanted to buy the kid something to eat, but he remained alert, hoping to catch another glimpse of the boy.

*

The rainfall had worsened and his wet clothes clung to his body. His long hair obscured his face as he made his way down Bourbon Street. From beneath his hair he studied the scantily dressed girls, the drunk men and realized surviving on these streets would be hard. Again, hands grabbed him, but he shook them off.

"Come on, kid, go home with me. I'll even pay you fifty bucks!"

The proposal made him shiver. "Non, leave me alone," He managed to give the man the slip and retreated back into one of the alleys. A few steps away from him another boy accepted the money and pressed himself against the man, who led his prize away from the crowd.

Bucks... bucks is a different word for dollars, money... I overheard them talkin' and she asked him for fifty bucks and he gave her a piece of paper. She went into a store and bought somethin', givin' de shopkeeper dat piece of paper. Slowly, the world was beginning to make sense and it was an ugly world he found himself in.

"Got some change to spare? Monsieur? Got some change to spare? Some change?"

The words caught his attention and he saw an older boy leaning against the walls, holding up his hands. Sometimes a man or woman threw a coin into his open hands. Beggin', he's beggin'! Stunned, he looked at his own hands. I can do dat too!

Moving away from the alley, he mimicked the boy's words and moves. "Got some change to spare? Some change?" He held out his hand, watching the people's faces as they passed him by.

"Hey, this is my spot! Find your own or I'll kick your ass! Move it, shrimp!"

It was the boy he had mimicked, and he was awfully pissed off. Keeping his eyes lowered, he hoped the other boy hadn't caught sight of his alien eyes yet. "I'm sorry. I'll move on..."

"You'd better! If Monsieur Cardinale catches sight of you he'll want you for his stable."

"Stable?" Confused, he looked up at the other boy, forgetting about shielding his eyes.

"Sweet Jesus!" The other boy backed away and crossed himself.

"What? My eyes... I was born dat way, can' help it."

The boy eyed him suspiciously. "You're new around here, aren't you? The word would have been on the street by now if you'd been around for a while."

Feeling miserable, he leaned against the wall. "Please, I'm so cold and hungry..."

"What's your name, kid?"

"Noir."

"Noir? What kinda name is that?"

"De only one I have. He named me Noir."

"He? Your father?"

"Fat'er?" He looked pleading at the other boy. "What's a fat'er?"

"Your père, your poppa... The man who took care of you."

"Oui, then I guess he's my père. He named me Noir." Shivering from the cold, he tried to wrap the wet clothes more closely around his body. "What do I do?" he whispered, lost.

"My name's Philippe," the other boy introduced himself. "I'll take you to the shelter. The Salvation Army runs one on Bienville Street. Maybe they'll even let you spend the night there."

"Merci." Philippe held out his right hand and he reluctantly took hold of it. "Where are we? What is dis place?"

Philippe frowned. "Bourbon Street."

"Are we still in N'Awlins?"

"Yes, but..." Philippe now noticed the old fashioned clothes the boy was wearing. "Where does your father life?"

He shivered. "Don' know," he whispered; it wasn't really a lie. He really didn't know where the Antiquary's house was situated. "How do I survive out here?"

Philippe's frown deepened. "You don't want to survive out here, kid. Go home, don't stay here!"

"Can' go home!" he exploded. "Hurts too much..." Flashbacks made him halt in his tracks and he tried to breathe through them, feeling the Antiquary's lips on his again, draining him...

Philippe shrugged his shoulders. "Should have known that your old man couldn't keep his dirty hands to himself. Isn't that why we all end up here?"

"What did 'your old man' do?" Philippe seemed to like him and he needed a friend if he wanted to survive on Bourbon Street.

"He abused me, kid..." Philippe briefly locked eyes with him. "Did he abuse you too?"

"Abuse?" He didn't know the word and tightened his hold on Philippe's hand. "What's abuse?"

Philippe released a strangled sigh. How was it possible that this kid didn't know these words? "Abuse is when someone uses your body against your will. You don't want him to touch you, but he still does and he hurts you a lot." He didn't know how else to explain it in terms the boy might understand.

"Oui," he whispered, nodding his head. The Antiquary had used him while he had tried to fight the old man off. The Antiquary had invaded his mind, had taken his life energy from him, leaving him exhausted and bruised. "He hurt me a lot."

"I'm sorry to hear that, kid, but that's life." Philippe cursed himself privately. He didn't have the time or the money to look after the boy. He had to take care of himself first! "Here's the shelter. Be polite and they'll help you. The people that run this shelter are okay."

"Merci for helpin' me, Philippe." He looked inside and saw several people carrying clothes and canned foods. Looking back at Philippe, he swallowed hard. "Will I see you 'gain?"

"You know where to find me, shrimp." Philippe ruffled the dirty hair, wondering what the kid's real hair color was. "But don't come there at night; it's much too dangerous for someone as young as you."

He nodded his head. "I'll find you... merci, Philippe."

Philippe pushed the boy inside. "Go ask them for some dry clothes and something to eat. If they got enough beds you can stay for the night as well." He waved at the little boy as he walked away.

Taking a deep breath, he walked up to an elderly woman who was sorting through a pile of clothes. She wore black clothes and a little hat, which struck him as funny and he grinned. "Madame?"

She looked up from her chore and raised an eyebrow. "Petit?" Taking in his appearance she shook her head. "You're cold and wet, petit and you need a shower." She grabbed his hand and pulled him along. "Here, take a shower and I'll put some dry clothes in dere by de time you're ready."

Totally overwhelmed, he accepted the dry towels and the bar of soap, which she pushed into his hands. "Merci, madame." After she had left the shower, he quickly stripped and stepped beneath the warm shower spray. Letting the warm water cascade down his body he took hold of the soap and worked up a lather, washing his hair as well. Feeling a little melancholy, he recalled the luxurious baths back at the Antiquary's home, but he wasn't going back there, ever!

"Chile? Get dressed! I got you some warm soup and bread!"

He recognized the woman's voice and quickly dried his skin and hair. She had placed underwear, a white T-shirt, a brown sweater, socks and a pair of jeans where his dirty clothes had been. Hesitantly, he dressed, left the shower cabin and went in search of her. "Madame."

"Ah, it's de petit. My name is Marie," she introduced herself and guided him to the kitchen. "Sit down, petit and start eating." He shoveled the bread quickly into his mouth and looked toward her for more.

"Soup first," she chided him.

He quickly finished the soup and handed her the empty bowl. "More, please?"

Smiling, she refilled his bowl and handed him another piece of bread. After sitting down opposite him she watched him eat. "What's your name, petit?"

"Noir," he whispered between bites. He smiled at her; she had pretty blonde locks and friendly blue eyes. "Can I stay here?"

"For now, oui," Marie replied. "We got enough beds so you can stay de night. Tomorrow we'll start looking for your parents."

The spoon slipped from his fingers and crashed into the bowl. "Non! Don' wanna go back!"

Marie sighed deeply. "You ran away, didn't you, petit?"

"Oui," he mouthed between two spoonfuls of soup. Using his newly found knowledge, he added, "He abused me."

"Oh, poor petit." Marie placed her hand over his. "I'll contact Child Protection Services, mebbe dey can help you!"

He wasn't sure he wanted her to do that, but remained silent, too focussed on eating his soup. Once he had finished, he yawned, trying to keep his eyes open. She didn' say a t'ing 'bout my eyes, wonder why?

"Come wit' me, petit. I'll show you your bed." Marie guided him to the sleeping quarters and helped him climb his bed. "Bien?"

"Bien." He looked about and recognized the type of men that occupied the other beds. Those were the men that swayed over Bourbon Street, taking girls into the dark alleys and unbuttoning their trousers. Suddenly, he didn't feel safe anymore. I'm gonna sleep and tomorrow mornin' I'm outa here.

"Dese shoes should fit you." Marie placed a pair of sneakers beneath his bed. "Lie down, petit."

He obeyed and she covered him with the blanket. "Try to get some sleep."

"Merci, madame," he whispered and smiled, thankful for her friendliness. Closing his eyes, he realized just how tired he really was and slipped into sleep.

"Poor petit," Marie sighed. "I wish I could help you..." But the Child Protection Services were already understaffed and wouldn't be able to do much for the runaway. Noir was destined to become one of the many street kids and hustlers that lived on Bourbon Street.

*

The next morning, he grabbed his shoes, put them on, stole a coat and fled the shelter. He had overheard Marie talk to a stranger about returning him to his father and he couldn't go back to the Antiquary. Now he was on Bourbon Street again and the cobblestone almost made him trip, running as fast as he did.

He was searching for Philippe, maybe the older boy would help him! He felt better today; his clothes were dry and although they weren't a perfect fit, he didn't stand out that much any more. He continued down Bourbon Street, searching for Philippe. It wasn't that crowded yet. A few men were sleeping off their hangovers in the alleys and the girls were standing on the balconies, talking and giggling.

"Philippe!" Suddenly, he saw the older boy, emerging from an alley. His clothes were rumpled and his left cheek bruised. Freezing in his tracks, he watched how an older man pushed passed Philippe while swatting the boy on his butt. "Philippe?" Slowly approaching the older boy, he remained alert.

"Ah, it's you again. Didn't I tell you to stay at the shelter?" Philippe rubbed his bruised cheek and walked slowly.

"Are you hurtin'?" He fell into step beside Philippe.

"Why didn't you stay at the shelter?" Philippe clutched his stomach in pain.

"Dey were gonna take me back to my père..." Cautiously, he rested his hand on Philippe's and was startled when the older boy jerked back. "Where are we goin'?"

Philippe didn't want to be stuck with the kid, but couldn't tell him to go to hell either. "I'm renting a room nearby. You can stay there for now..."

In silence they walked to an old building. Philippe climbed the stairs slowly, moaning in pain. After opening the door, he pointed at a chair. "The bed's mine... make yourself useful and tidy up a bit."

"Oui, bien!" Glad that he could do something useful he began to clean up while Philippe climbed into bed. "What's dis?" He stared at the strange, white, filthy piece of rubber.

"It's a condom, dummy," Philippe said bitterly. "Never let them fuck you without protection."

"A condom? Fuck?" His eyes grew big, tasting the words. Seeing Philippe's stunned expression, he threw the thing in the wastebasket.

"Sweet Jesus, you have no idea what I'm talking about!" Philippe exclaimed, tired. "Come here, kid."

He sat down on the side of the bed, watching Philippe with a concerned expression in his eyes. "Tell me?" He had to know what he was up against if he wanted to survive.

"You use a condom when a man wants to have sex with you."

"Sex?"

"Fuck..." Philippe shook his head. "Where do you come from? Another century? When you pee you touch your penis, okay?"

He nodded his head, wondering what Philippe was trying to tell him.

"Sometimes, a penis gets hard and that's called an erection. When that happens a man wants to have sex, to put his penis in you and then he starts to thrust until he comes."

"Comes?"

Philippe's eyes grew big. "He shoots cream from his penis. They will pay you for making them come."

He still didn't understand. "Where does he want to put his penis?"

Philippe's hand moved between the boy's legs, touching his anus. "Right here."

He jumped up from the bed, putting distance between them. "Mais it's much too small!"

"It'll fit, don't worry," Philippe said in a bitter tone. "Make sure they never fuck you without a condom." Seeing the boy's puzzled look, he added, "Make sure he puts it around his penis."

"Do you let dem do dat to you? Is dat why you're hurtin'?"

"Yeah, I earned a hundred dollars last night." He uncovered the money and showed it to the boy. "But there are easier ways to make money."

"Like what?" He sat back down on the bed and watched Philippe's eyes. They reminded him of Mauve’s, Rose’s, Rouge's, all the children the Antiquary had used.

"You can suck them off," Philippe said tired, figuring he had better educated the boy before a dirty bastard got to him. "Again, make sure they use a condom."

"Suck dem off?" Trembling, he stared at Philippe.

"Close your lips around his penis and suck. Don't let them pay you less than fifty. They get off on using someone as young as you."

"I saw a woman do dat to a man in de alley," he remembered. "She said she didn' wanna swallow, mais he forced her to do it anways."

"Stay away from the dirty old bastards, kid. You're quick and agile. Try to find someone who can teach you how to pick their pockets instead." Philippe's eyes closed. "I need to get some sleep, kid. It's show time again in a few hours. Watch some TV, but keep the noise down." Using the remote, he switched on the TV.

Dazedly, he walked over to the screen and touched it with his fingertips. Animals were sneaking through the jungle and they were close enough to touch, but his fingertips only encountered glass. "TV," he whispered, stunned and sat down in front of it, watching over Philippe as the older boy slept.

*

Several hours later Philippe opened his eyes and wondered why the TV was on. Seeing the boy slumped in front of it brought his memories back. He should know better than to pick up runaways; he could barely support himself. If the kid wanted to stay, he would have to start pulling his weight. "Wake up!"

The boy jerked awake, panicked briefly and then smiled at Philippe.

"What's your name again?" Philippe struggled to his feet, determined to take a shower before heading out onto the streets again.

"I found myself a new one. I was watchin' a movie and dere was dis kid, trying' to make it on his own. His name was Remy... I like dat name... I hate Noir!"

"Okay, Remy, if that's what you want me to call you. Do you cook?" Philippe stripped and stepped into the bathroom. Still need to clean up in here. It's a mess.

"Cook?" Remy followed Philippe, shyly taking in the older boy's body, seeing the bruises on his hips and the tiny amount of blood clinging to his buttocks. "Are you still in pain?"

Philippe shook his head. "I'm fine, now try to find something edible in the kitchen?"

Remy eagerly nodded his head. After rummaging in the nearly empty fridge, he managed to make some sandwiches.

Philippe exited the bathroom again after slipping into some clean clothes. His rent was due tonight and he had better find some johns who were interested in him. Maybe he could take the kid along, use him to bait the johns.

Philippe dug into the sandwiches and studied the kid. He didn't make enough money to support both of them. "Do you want to stay?"

"Oui, please." Remy waited until Philippe had eaten his share and then devoured the remaining sandwiches.

"You'll have to pull your weight, make your own money..." Philippe sighed, hating himself for making his next suggestion. "They'll pay good money if you suck them off."

Remy almost choked on his sandwich. "You want me to do... dat?"

"We need the money, kid. It's either that, or you've got to leave." He also had to talk to his dealer; he needed more stuff. The crack made his life bearable and his last dose was losing effect. He was coming down hard, but tried to hide that from the kid. Remy probably didn't know about drugs yet and he wanted to keep it that way for now.

"I don' know if I can do dat," Remy admitted; a lump was forming in his throat and the image of the man and woman in that alley was glued to his retina.

"Here, use these." Philippe handed Remy some sunglasses. "I don't know how the johns will react to your eyes so we'd better play it safe."

Remy put on the sunglasses. "Do I really have to?"

"I'm not forcing you to go along with this, kid. You're free to leave whenever you want. Go back to your old man or the shelter. It's not like I'm not giving you a choice."

"I'm comin' wit' you," Remy decided eventually. He couldn't go back to the shelter where they would take him back to the Antiquary. Somehow, he would survive.

*

Remy was standing behind Philippe, feeling scared and nervous. A few men had already approached them, asking them about the prices they charged. Much to Philippe's chagrin, the johns were only interested in the boy. Part of him wanted to protect the kid, keep away the ugliness, but another part needed the crack and was considering acting as his pimp.

"How much?" A middle aged, bald man, dressed in jeans and a black shirt stared at Remy, devouring the kid with his eyes.

"How old is he?"

"How old are you?" Philippe nudged Remy in his side.

"I'm nine..."

"Nine years old? Fuck, I never had one that young! How much?" The man was drooling and already uncovering his wallet.

Philippe sat on his heels and locked eyes with Remy. "We need the money. My rent is due tonight and if we can't pay it, we'll be living on the streets."

Remy squirmed. "I don' t'ink I can do dis, Philippe..."

"Why don't we find out first what he wants and how much he's willing to pay?"

"Bien," Remy whispered, reluctantly nodding his head.

Philippe faced the man again. "What do you want?"

"I want to fuck him," the man said, drooling.

"No," Philippe said determinedly. No matter how much he wanted the money he didn't want the boy traumatized. "He'll suck you off for one hundred dollars."

Remy's eyes grew big behind the sunglasses. Non...

"Remy, we need the money! You won't find another guy who's willing to give you one hundred bucks for a blowjob. You can do it."

Remy didn't want to disappoint Philippe and nodded his head. "I'll try." The mere thought of taking the man's penis in his mouth made him gag, but Philippe needed the money and he didn't want to lose his friend.

"Good boy." Philippe patted Remy's hair and then faced the man again. "You pay me first."

The man eyed them suspiciously, but then handed Philippe the money. "He'd better be good."

"Remy, walk into that alley..." Philippe shooed him deeper into the darkness and then turned to their customer. "Here, use a condom. If he tells me you ditched it, the deal's off."

Growling, the man grabbed the condom and stalked into the alley. Remy stood motionless and the john signaled him to come closer. He loved it when they kneeled in front of him, but the boy was small and wouldn't be able to suck him off on his knees. "Unzip me."

Remy's hands trembled when they unzipped the man's jeans. A vile stench assaulted his nostrils and he swallowed hard, knowing Philippe needed him to do this.

"Take it out."

While taking deep breaths, Remy obeyed and stared at the throbbing cock in his hands. It was way too big to put in his mouth! He would choke! The man put one hand over his and moved it along his cock.

"Yeah, pump it, kid..." His breath was coming in spurts and he bucked hard.

Hidden by the sunglasses, tears flowed down Remy's face. While stroking the hard rod of flesh in his hands he started to shiver.

"Open those lips, little one..."

Without warning, the man grabbed him roughly by his shoulders and pushed his cock past his teeth. Remy nearly choked, shock and stark terror were building in his stomach. It was getting hard to breathe when the man began to thrust and he wanted to beg the man to stop, but the thrusts grew more violent, hitting the back of his throat. The latex condom made him nauseous and he struggled in earnest now, wishing the man would stop.

Suddenly, the man thrust deeply and kept him in place, burying himself deep in his throat. Remy tried to call out, to tell Philippe he couldn't take it, but then the man pulled back, patting his head.

"You've got sweet lips, little one," the man said, removing the condom, tying it and throwing it onto the ground. "I'll be back and then I'll fuck your little ass..." Walking away, he grinned, leaving Remy alone in the alley.

"Remy, are you alright? Remy?" Philippe rushed closer and found Remy kneeled on the cobblestone, arms wrapped around him and rocking hard. "It's gonna be okay, kid. Together with the hundred dollars I made last night and yours we can pay the rent." And I can buy some crack as well... He wanted to fold one arm around Remy to reassure him, but the boy jerked away from him.

"Don' touch me!"

The red eyes flared in the darkness. "I'm sorry, kid, but you'd better get used to servicing them. It's the only way to survive out here. When I started out three years ago, I thought I could survive without being a whore, but the truth is, you can't. It's the only way to make money."

"You mean I've got to do it 'gain?" He stared at Philippe in disbelief. The other boy nodded his head; Remy's stomach suddenly contracted and he threw up, bile rising from his stomach.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. The first time is always the worst," Philippe said reassuringly. "You'll find a way to deal with it..." He rubbed Remy's back and stopped the long hair from falling into the boy's face. "If you're lucky you only have to do it once, maybe twice a night. Not every john will pay a hundred bucks for a blow job."

Shocked and miserable, Remy rode out the dry heaves and stared at the cobblestone. I can' go back to de Antiquary... But he wasn't sure he could suck someone off again. Mais do I have a choice? Looking up at Philippe, he realized he had made his choice when he had agreed to the blowjob. "Philippe? I'm scared."

"I know you are... I was scared too when I started working the streets, but we've got each other. I'll help you through it..." Like the crack helped him through it and he had better score something tonight.

Remy used his sleeve to clean his lips and wished he could wash away the vile taste with a drink, maybe even brush his teeth.

"Come on, let's get moving. Cardinale's boys will be here soon and we had better be gone by then. This is their spot and I don't want to get into a fight with their pimp." Dragging Remy to his feet, they left the alley.

Remy leaned heavily on Philippe, his head reeling and his body trembling. He felt like a stranger had taken over his body and he followed Philippe obediently when the older boy took him to their room.

Chapter three.
Hustling.

"Here's your money."

Remy accepted the seventy dollars and handed them to Philippe. He still hated performing this act, but by sucking them off he made enough money to help pay the rent and buy food. Philippe nodded his head after counting the money and Remy took the man upstairs to their room. It had been raining for days now and he wanted to be someplace dry and warm, not catching pneumonia on Bourbon Street.

"Nice crib you got here," the huge, black man said as he sat down on the bed. "Come on, kid, give it to me."

Remy took a few breaths to steady himself. He would never get used to sucking them off, but he had learned how to push back his feelings until he felt numb; that made going down on them easier.

He kneeled in front of the bed and the man spread his legs. With moves that were now well practiced, Remy unbuttoned the man's jeans and pushed down his underwear. Hiding his disgust, he took the man's cock in his hand and stroked it a few times.

"Your mouth, kid, I want your mouth." The man leaned against the wall, stretching his long body.

Quickly, he rolled down the condom and then leaned in closer, taking the latex-covered cock into his mouth. Sucking it hard, he tried to get it over with quickly.

"Slow down, kid, slow down!" The man bucked hard.

Suddenly the john's hands clutched his head and they pushed him deeper onto the cock until he almost gagged. Relaxing his throat, he took in the long rod and deepthroated him, knowing it would earn him an extra ten bucks.

"Yeah, hell, you're good, son... that's it, nice and slow... and deep."

Remy felt the man tense beneath him and sucked hard; the man came, pushing his cock against the back of his throat. I hate dis! He wanted to scream the words, but his lips were closed around a now sated cock. Finally the man pulled back.

"Good boy," he said approvingly. "Why don't you let me fuck you, son? It would earn you another eighty bucks." He was one of Remy's regulars and always asked that same question after the boy had sucked him off.

"I don' let anyone fuck me," Remy said stubbornly, disposing of the condom and buttoning the man's jeans again.

"I could make it worth your while, little boy."

Remy turned away, trying to hide his loathing. "You'd better get outa here now."

"I'll be back next week!"

The door closed behind him and Remy rushed toward the bathroom, vigorously brushing his teeth to rid himself of the rubber taste in his mouth. Staring at his reflection in the mirror, he took off the sunglasses and cringed. He didn't sleep that well and large circles had formed under his eyes. He had also lost weight these last three months. They didn't always have enough money to buy food and Philippe needed most of their money to buy crack.

His world had collapsed when he had found out that Philippe was a crack addict. So far he'd managed to stay away from drugs, but he was crumbling, searching for something to make this miserable life bearable.

"Remy?" Philippe slowly entered the bathroom, staring at the boy's reflection. He cringed, recalling how Remy had looked when they had first met. The boy was going downhill, fast, and it was his fault! But I don't have a choice! We need the money!

Remy put his sunglasses back on and turned around. "You got anot'er one?"

"No, no more johns..." Philippe sat down on the cold bathroom floor and motioned Remy to join him. The boy sat opposite him; the trusting expression gone. They knew they needed each other to survive.

"Want some crack?" Philippe uncovered a syringe and showed it to Remy. "It'll make you feel good. I'll even inject it for you."

"Non," Remy declined, rising from the floor and moving into the bedroom where he collapsed on the bed. "I wanna sleep."

"Sure, Remy, sure." Philippe followed him, sat down on the side of the bed and stroked the long hair. "I'll bring a john home tonight..."

"Why are you tellin' me?"

"He offered to pay five hundred dollars if I let him fuck you." Philippe felt the tiny body tense beneath his fingers. "You're a virgin, Remy, you'd better take the money and benefit from it before someone takes it away from you."

Remy shook his head. "I don' wanna."

"You'd better get it over with, Remy. You know as well as I do that they're paying less for a blowjob these days. You'll have to sell your ass one of these days anyway." Philippe stared at the syringe. He was going to use it to shoot Remy up in a few minutes. The kid might have said no, but surely meant yes. "It doesn't matter where you go, Remy, they'll all want the same thing, your mouth or your ass."

Too emotionally drained to argue, Remy remained motionless. In a few hours Philippe would bring the john here and he'd give up his last bit of dignity. I can go back to de Antiquary... Life wasn' dat bad wit' him, was it?

His eyes flashed open and the sunglasses fell onto the floor when something sharp slipped beneath his skin. Looking at his right arm, he froze. "Philippe, non!" But the older boy was injecting the dope into his arm and he felt paralyzed, unable to pull away. "Non!"

"This way it won't hurt so bad," Philippe said soothingly, while stroking Remy's hair. "It'll take the edge off the pain."

Tears flowed down Remy's face as warmth moved through his body. "Non..." he whispered, defeated. "Non..."

*

Hugo grinned as Philippe led him upstairs to the boys’ room. It had taken him a lot of time and money to convince the young hustler to let him have Remy. Philippe had objected at first, but a thousand dollar was too much money to refuse and Philippe had finally accepted.

"Use a condom," Philippe said emotionlessly. "You don't wanna catch any STD's from the kid."

Hugo shrugged, but accepted the condom. "Don't disturb me, remember, his ass is mine for the next two hours."

"The money," Philippe said in an icy tone. Hugo handed him an envelope and Philippe counted it. "It's all there," he said, pleased. Glancing at the door, he knew he was selling Remy behind his back, but he couldn't turn down the money. "Have a great time and remember, he's a virgin."

"That's why I'm paying extra!" Hugo opened the door and stepped inside.

*

Remy felt a little nauseous and his head was pounding, but the crack was losing its effect. Maybe it had something to do with being a mutant, but he was grateful that he wasn't turning into a zombie like the druggies on the street.

Suddenly, the door opened and a man stepped inside. "Who are you?" Then Philippe's words returned to him; his friend had sold his ass for five hundred bucks. Staring at the bulky man, he realized there was no way out. He couldn't outsmart the john.

Hugo licked his lips. "You shouldn't trust your friends, kid." He walked towards the bed. With one fluid movement he pulled back the blanket.

Remy shivered, realizing he was naked. Philippe must have undressed him while the drugs were working their way through his body.

"I already paid your pimp..."

My pimp... Remy sighed; the man was right. Philippe was now his pimp.

"My name's Hugo," he continued. "I know it's your first time... it will hurt like hell."

The vile grin on Hugo's face made Remy freeze. "Don' hurt me, m'sieur. I can make it bon for you..." Resigned to his fate and weakened by the drugs, he laid on his back and spread his legs. He might not have done this before, but he had watched Philippe getting fucked by their johns.

Hugo's hands moved over Remy's body, rolling a nipple that refused to grow hard between his fingertips. "Oh, yeah, I'm gonna be the first to fuck that little hole."

Remy shivered and bit his bottom lip until it bled. Please, let him finish quickly! Suddenly, Hugo rolled him onto his stomach and pulled him up onto all fours. Remy bowed his head and tried to mentally prepare himself for the act that would follow. Hugo pushed his face into the pillows and they muffled his sobs as the man positioned himself against his entrance, ramming inside and tearing him up. I can' do dis... After the first thrust, Remy lost consciousness.

*

"I want my money back!" Hugo slammed his fist into the wall. "He passed out while I was fucking him!"

"You fucked him! I lived up to my part of the deal!" Philippe flinched, disgusted by what he had done. "Leave him the hell alone, he's just a little kid!" He should have known better, should have protected Remy, but the thousand dollars had been too tempting.

"Give me my money back!" Hugo punched Philippe in the face and the boy went down. More punches and kicks followed and Philippe brought up his arms, trying to shield his face. The beating continued for several minutes, then Hugo reached inside Philippe's coat and retrieved the thousand dollars. "Crack addicts..." he spat and left the building, whistling a merry tune.

Philippe listened to the footfalls and then opened his eyes. His side was throbbing and blood dripped down his bottom lip. When he tried to move, an indescribable pain seared through his side, settling in his abdomen. Remy, I have to check on Remy!

Gathering his strength, he struggled to his feet and used the wall to support himself as he shuffled toward their room. The door was still ajar and he made out a tiny form on the bed, curled up and shivering. Oh, Remy, I'm so sorry.

Collapsing to his knees, he crawled the last few feet and laid his head on the side of the bed, studying Remy. "Remy, wake up, Remy!" The boy stirred, but his eyes remained closed.

"Remy, I'm so sorry... Remy, I need a doctor..." Remy moved slightly and Philippe saw the blood, clinging to his thighs. "So sorry, Remy... so sorry."

Resting his head on the bed, he closed his eyes. His hands, which had been clawing at his stomach, relaxed and dropped onto the floor. Releasing his last breath, he wished he had made fewer mistakes in his miserable life.

*

Remy woke up because he was cold. Someone forgot to close de door... It took a lot of effort to open his eyes, but when he did, he stared into Philippe's dead eyes. "Mon Dieu, non!" Frozen, he continued to stare into the vacant eyes. He can' be dead, Philippe can' be dead, dis ain' happenin', dis ain' happenin'!

Finally, he managed to gather his courage and lifted his right hand, poking Philippe's shoulder. "Philippe? Wake up, it's cold in here, close de door, mon ami."

But Philippe remained motionless and Remy finally realized that his friend was dead. Was it an overdose? I 'ways told him de dope would kill him. His arm itched and suddenly he remembered... Non, he shot me up as well!

Panting hard, the rest of the memories washed over him; Philippe had sold his ass to Hugo, who had grinned at the prospect of inflicting pain on him. Fortunately, he had passed out during the act.

Elbowing himself into a sitting position, he stared at the corpse; Philippe's face was relaxed in death and he envied the peace his friend had found.

Shivering from the cold, he pulled up the blanket and started to sob softly. What do I do now? Philippe's dead, I don' have any money and I can' do dis any more. His stomach contracted, remembering Hugo's hands traveling all over his body and then... it had hurt. Sobbing, he struggled to get to his feet, but collapsed next to the bed, beside Philippe's cooling body.

Jerking away from the corpse, he crawled to the bathroom on all fours, turning on the shower and climbed into it. Curled up, he remained there until the water turned cold, jolting him back to reality. Need to find some clot'es... need to put on some clot'es...

Feeling numb inside, he moved instinctively and slipped into some jeans and the brown sweater Marie had given him months ago. Standing in the center of the room, he stared at the debris of his life; Philippe, a few dollar bills, a syringe and a sandwich. I can' live like dis any more... it's over. Shuffling his feet, he managed to get to the doorway where he dropped to his knees. He crawled downstairs and pulled himself back on to his feet. It was still raining outside, but that didn't faze him and he started for the street.

Bourbon Street... I should never have come here... should have stayed wit' de Antiquary instead. Should have let him drain me. At least I was warm dere and I didn' have to get everyone off to stay 'live. Should I go back and beg him to take me in 'gain? I have rien left to lose...

Walking down the street, he began to feel more alert, the rain wiping the numbness from his mind. The sun was setting and the hustlers and pickpockets were trying to make some money. And I need money... mais I'm no longer sellin' myself.

The loneliness, the emptiness in his soul remained, gaining a place of its own and mechanically he started for a man in a long black coat. The man was a fool; his wallet was showing and it would be easy to pick his pocket. Then he would have some money and he could buy food, maybe even some drugs to alleviate the pain in his lower body.

Moving soundlessly, he approached his target and reached for the wallet, but then the man's hand grabbed his wrist, pulling him around. "Non, lemme go!" he yelled, kicking and screaming, but the man's hold remained firm.

"Tryin' to pick my pocket, petit?" The man turned around, a grin already visible on his face, but it froze when their eyes met.

"You?"

Remy's eyes narrowed; he had seen that face before, the dark eyes, the fierce moustache and he knew that voice... "De Antiquary..." The memories flashed in his mind. This man was a friend of the Antiquary's! Struggling even harder, he gasped in pain when his stomach objected and his wrist snapped.

"Noir," Jean-Luc LeBeau whispered, shocked, recognizing the baby he had stolen almost ten years ago. The boy suddenly stopped fighting him and went limp, collapsing in his arms. "I finally found you, petit."

Cringing, Jean-Luc took in the boy's haggard expression and realized he couldn't waste any time. The boy needed a doctor! "I'll take care of you, petit... I promise." He hurried toward his car and placed the boy on the back seat, holding him close. After telling the driver to head home and alert Mattie and their family doctor, he cradled the boy against his chest, rocking him softly.

Chapter Four
Jean-Luc LeBeau

"Jean?" Mattie stared at the small boy in disbelief. "What did you bring home dis time?"

"A very special chile, Mattie." He'd never told anyone about the baby he'd stolen and he had to come up with a believable story where Mattie was concerned. She wouldn't rest until she knew the truth, or what was acceptable as the truth. "Prepare de guest room on de ground floor. I don' want him climbin' any stairs for now."

Mattie nodded her head. "Does de boy have a name?"

"Noir will have to do for now."

"Noir?" Mattie raised an eyebrow. "Does he belon' to the Antiquary's Velvet Ministry?"

"He did, until some time ago."

Mattie suddenly realized what was going on. "Dis is de boy you wanted to help escape?"

"Oui and I lost track of him." Jean-Luc carried the boy into the guestroom and placed him on the bed. "Check on him, Mattie. Olivier will arrive shortly and I want him to examine de boy as well." Olivier was their family doctor and the only physician Jean-Luc trusted. "Where's Henri?"

"He left town on Guild matters and will be back in a few days." Mattie sighed. "We should undress him first. Dose dirty and wet clothes will do him no good."

Jean-Luc pulled the boy into a sitting position and helped Mattie to take off his sweater. "Mon Dieu..." The boy's ribs showed and Jean-Luc also noticed the needle mark that was showing signs of infection. "He's on drugs."

Mattie worked methodically and unzipped the boy's jeans, removing the underwear as well. Seeing the blood and bruising on his buttocks and thighs, she frowned. "Jean? Dis boy was raped."

Jean-Luc's eyes grew big. I should never have stolen you from de hospital.

"We're gonna give him a bath, deal wit' de infection and see if we can find some soothin' ointment." Mattie grabbed a few towels and headed for the bath tub. After turning on the water, she waited until the tub was full of steamy, warm water. "Jean, put him in de bat' tub."

Jean-Luc lifted the boy carefully and carried him into the bathroom where he lowered his charge into the bath tub. Shocked, he stared at the droplets of blood that now clung to his vest. "He's bleedin'... down dere." He didn't know how else to say it. This was a child! No child should have to endure rape!

"De petit is badly hurt," Mattie whispered, while washing the boy's bruised body. "Tell Olivier to hurry."

Jean-Luc left the room, told his trusted second in command Marcus to contact Olivier and to tell the doctor to hurry up. "Mattie, is dere anythin' I can do?"

Mattie was softly humming a tune, stroking the boy's hair. She tried to radiate as much calm and reassurance as she could. "He's special, Jean, you're right 'bout dat."

"What are you sensin', Mattie?" He had chosen Mattie as his confidant for many reasons. One of them being that she had telepathic abilities. She could tell his friends from his enemies.

"His mind... he's... sensitive, mais he's too young..." Mattie smiled as the boy stirred in the water. "Hand me dose towels, Jean and push back de covers of de bed."

Jean-Luc obeyed and helped Mattie dry the boy's skin. After wrapping a towel around his wet hair, he carried the boy back to the bed and laid him down, covering him with soft blankets. "At least he's safe now."

"How did you find him?" Mattie nodded gratefully as Marcus handed her a first aid kit. She cleaned the wound the needle had left behind and put a bandage over it. Then she turned her attention to his right wrist. "It's broken," she whispered and bandaged it firmly; it would need a cast later.

Suddenly the door opened and a young man marched inside. He was dressed in a gray suit and wore a pair of glasses in a dark frame. "What's going on?"

"Olivier, I need you to examine him." Jean-Luc watched as Olivier and Mattie worked on the boy.

"He was raped, Jean, and he's using drugs," Olivier muttered beneath his breath after examining his new patient. "Are you sure you want to take a street rat in to your home?"

"Oui, I'm sure." Jean-Luc cringed as Olivier gently moved the boy onto his side to examine his lower body.

Olivier put on a rubber glove and carefully eased inside the torn rectum. The boy moaned and twitched, trying to get away from the invasive fingertip. "Someone tore him up, Jean." Olivier stared his friend. "Don't tell me you did this."

"Non, I didn'," Jean-Luc said quickly. "I found him on de streets." Dazedly, he stared as Mattie held the boy in place while Olivier pushed some antibiotic cream into the boy's abused passage. "He will heal, won' he?"

"It's a bit early to tell, Jean." Olivier disposed of the glove. "I'm going to check on him again in twenty-four hours and hopefully the bleeding will have stopped by then, otherwise I have to put in stitches."

"His wrist is broken as well," Mattie pointed out to Olivier.

"Anything else?" Olivier couldn't believe the amount of damage done to this boy.

"What 'bout de drugs? Will he be going through withdrawal?" Jean-Luc already feared the answer.

Olivier took some blood samples and studied the boy. "We'll have to wait and see, Jean. I have to get the lab results back from his blood and then... we'll have to see what happens when he wakes up."

Jean-Luc nodded his head. "What do we do while we're waitin'?"

"Keep him warm," Olivier instructed. "Try to get some fluids into him, water, orange juice, herbal tea, whatever works is fine."

"I'll take good care of him," Mattie promised. Tucking the blankets around the boy she began humming again, stroking his hair in a soothing manner.

Jean-Luc barely managed to fight back his tears. My fault... It's my fault dat he's dis way... I can never make things up to him...

*

He was floating on a warm, soft cloud, which cradled his body perfectly. Although the pain was still there, it was bearable and Remy was even tempted to open his eyes while trying to remember what had happened last.

Hugo tried to rape me and succeeded, jugin' by de pain... den I found Philippe, dead, and ran onto de streets... tried to pick dis man's pocket, mais he's a friend of de Antiquary. I'm back wi' de old man?

The only way to get an answer was to open his eyes. Well, his right eye opened, his left refused to obey. He stared at soft curtains, beige wallpaper and he was lying in a big four poster bed. Non, this wasn't his room at the Antiquary's.

He quickly closed his eye again, hearing voices in the distance. Male voices, but he couldn't make out what they were saying. What's de matter wit' you? Get up and run 'fore dey can catch up wit' you! But his body refused to co-operate and something heavy pulled down his right wrist and he lacked the strength to try again.

Feeling scared and lost, he panicked. His body tensed, then relaxed again when one voice seemed to grow more distant, then tensed again, hearing footfalls approach. He was on the verge of hyperventilating as the door opened and a stranger stepped inside. "Non..." he whimpered scared and...

He was peeing in the bed! Non, he hadn't wet himself since he was a little kid and the Antiquary had rubbed his nose in his urine to make sure he'd never do it again! "Non..."

Jean-Luc hurried to the boy's side, smelling a pungent odor. "C'est bien, petit, happens to all of us, oui?" The boy was curled up on his left side and a damp spot was spreading on the blanket. Merde, now he had to clean up the child! Not that he minded doing the dirty work, but he worried how the boy would react to his touch. "Lemme help, Noir?"

"Non, not Noir! Name's Remy, not Noir, never Noir!" Remy hid deeper beneath the blanket, blocking out the stench. "Not Noir, not Noir, Remy..." His voice shook and he tried to regulate his too fast breathing. Was he in trouble now?

Jean-Luc recovered quickly. "Mais, oui, Remy it is. Remy? We need to clean you up. You had a petit accident." Uncertain how to proceed, he kneeled beside the bed and slowly peeled off the layers of blankets that hid Remy from view. Remy was pinching his eyes tightly shut. "It's bien, petit. I know 'bout your eyes. Dey don' frighten me. Look at me?"

Remy hesitantly opened his eyes, but remained silent. Oui, this was the same man he had seen at the Antiquary's home a few months ago. Can' trust him; he'll take me back... Please don' call me Noir, m'sieur, but he didn't dare speak the words aloud. Feeling ashamed and stupid for wetting himself, he averted his eyes and waited for the man to take the initiative.

"Remy?" Jean-Luc smiled approvingly at the name; he really liked it a lot better than Noir. "I need to clean you up, remember? Why don' we do dat in de bat'room?" Not getting an answer, Jean-Luc eventually pushed back the damp blankets and found that Remy had not only peed, but had had a bowel movement as well. The bloody diarrhea told him that the boy hadn't healed up inside yet and that probably meant that Olivier needed to put in stitches after all. Olivier and Mattie were downstairs in his private medical facility, working on the blood samples and setting up a treatment plan.

When the man reached for him, Remy flinched back, trying to avoid the touch. He knew his panic showed on his face, but he couldn't repress the pain and fear that knotted his stomach. I'm a stupid bébé, can' even hold until I can go to de bat'room...

Jean-Luc stared at the abused body and drew in a deep steadying breath. Mattie and Olivier had decided against putting Remy in warm clothes because they wanted quick access and now he understood why. Remy was shrinking away from him and Jean-Luc tried to reassure the child, while wrapping his arms around him.

"Remy? It was a petit accident. You're not feelin' well, so it's okay when you have accidents. I will just clean you up, put clean sheets and blankets on de bed and den you can go back to sleep, oui?"

Frustrated that Remy still wasn't responding, Jean-Luc lifted him in his arms and carried him into the bathroom, where he sat him down on the toilet. Remy swayed briefly, but then seemed to steady himself.

Remy closely followed every move the man made and cringed, feeling the urge to pee again. Unable to hold it, he peed and tears flowed down his face. What was happening to him?

Jean-Luc had wet a washcloth and wiped the cold sweat from Remy's brow. "You're un peu ill, Remy, mais it will get betta, trust me, petit." Jean-Luc held Remy's eyes when his hand moved lower to clean the boy's groin area.

Remy bit his bottom lip until it bled and closed his eyes. Now that the man was touching him, ugly memories returned and he almost bolted from the bathroom, but he was too exhausted to move.

"Remy, I've got to do your backside as well," Jean-Luc said softly and turned the boy around. "It still hurts, non, petit?"

But Remy didn't react. He wasn't going to give away his weaknesses. Although he had completely tensed up due to his fear, he had to admit it felt good to have his butt cleaned. Peeking at the man kneeling in front of him, he realized the stranger was using baby wipes to clean his butt! It almost made him laugh, almost.

Jean-Luc closely monitored Remy's reaction and was relieved when the boy didn't try to get away from him. He collected clean underwear from the pile of clothes Mattie had assembled before leaving with Olivier, claiming that the boy would need clean clothes at least once a day and she had been right. Bless Mattie for knowing what to do!

Remy was surprised when the man helped him to step into some briefs and finally he dared to meet he stranger's eyes. Their eyes met, and he quickly looked away again, scared of what he would find in those dark orbs.

Jean-Luc considered letting Remy walk back instead of carrying him, but wasn't sure the boy could stay on his feet, so he swept him up into his arms anyway. Remy released a surprised yelp. "I'm gonna put you in de chair while I put some clean sheets on de bed," Jean-Luc told Remy, wanting the boy to know his intentions.

Remy flushed when Jean-Luc placed him in the armchair. Sitting upright was putting pressure on his bottom and he moaned in pain, but remained sitting straight nonetheless. He didn't want to anger the man, unsure how the stranger would react.

Jean-Luc wasn't good at making small talk, but he tried anyway. "My name's Jean-Luc LeBeau and I brought you home after you tried to pick my pocket."

Remy tried to make himself as small as possible, but his bottom hurt and he slumped to the right until he was laying down. Why hadn't the man, Jean-Luc, called the police or alerted the Antiquary? Why was he at the man's home?

Jean-Luc removed the damp sheet and blanket, put on clean ones and returned to Remy, who was clutching his stomach with his left hand. "You're probably wonderin' what happened after we met." Jean-Luc lifted Remy in his arms and tucked him back into bed. "We put your right wrist in a cast 'cause it was broken and... Are you doin' drugs, petit?"

Drugs? Flashes of Philippe injected the dope washed over him and he shook his head. With tremendous effort he managed an answer. "He made me... only once..." For some reason it was important to him that Jean-Luc knew the truth; that he wasn't a drug addict.

"I'm glad to hear dat," Jean Luc whispered, and smiled. "Remy, we need to talk, oui?"

But Remy's eyes were slipping shut again. The bed was too warm and too comfortable to not fall asleep. He did manage a nod, however.

"Remy, you were raped, oui?" Jean-Luc's heart sped up, seeing the alien eyes flash open in fear and remembered pain. "Oui, I know you were raped, mais... you're still bleedin'... you might need stitches."

Inaudible words stumbled from Remy's lips while staring at Jean-Luc. Were they going to hurt him all over again? Did the nightmare never end?

"I asked my personal doctor to take care of you, Remy. Olivier will look after you, don' be scared." Suddenly, he remembered the doctor's advice. "Wanna drink somethin'? I got some freshly pressed orange juice." He sat down on the side of the bed and picked up the glass, noticing Remy's hungry stare. He was stunned when the boy shook his head, indicating he didn't want to drink. "Mais petit, you're dehydrated!"

But no, he couldn't drink anything! What if he wet himself again? For some reason he didn't have any control over his lower body and he wanted to avoid creating another mess Jean-Luc would have to clean up. Although he craved the orange juice, he had to decline.

But Jean-Luc realized the truth. "Don' worry 'bout peein' in bed 'gain, petit. We'll clean you up, dat's no big deal. Jus' drink... please?" Jean-Luc placed the glass at Remy's lips and the boy sipped slowly.

"Finish it, petit, you need de fluids." Jean-Luc held the boy tight, feeling shivers rack Remy's body. "Now dat's a good boy," he said, while helping Remy lie down again. "Go back to sleep, petit." If everything went to plan, Olivier would return in a few minutes, give the boy a sedative so Remy slept through the surgery. He was sure Remy wouldn't want to be awake when Olivier examined his abused rectum and put in the stitches.

Remy's eyes remained locked on Jean-Luc. Why was the man helping him? Or did he have ulterior motives like nursing him back to health and then hand him over to the Antiquary? Or did the man want his ass for himself?

"Sleep, petit, I promise everythin' will be bon in de end." Jean-Luc absentmindedly stroked Remy's auburn hair and listened as the boy's breathing evened out, indicating he had fallen asleep. Burying his head in his hands, Jean-Luc stared at the bundle of misery in front of him. He was to blame for the boy's misery. This was all his fault!

"Jean? We're ready to work on him." Olivier entered the room and rested a hand on his friend's shoulder. "What aren't you telling me? Who raped him?"

"I don' know, I don' t'ink even Remy does. Olivier, dis chile is very precious to me... I want him whole and healed."

"I can't make that promise," Olivier said thoughtfully. "The boy has been traumatized and has a long road of recovery ahead of him. He'll need a friend though." Olivier pushed back the blankets and removed the briefs Jean-Luc had just put on the boy. "I need to stop the bleeding and repair the tears."

Jean-Luc nodded his head. "Mais I will carry him."

Olivier didn't object, noticing that Jean-Luc's vest already sported stains of blood. "Then let's do this. Mattie will assist me."

They headed downstairs where Mattie was already waiting for them. Jean-Luc placed Remy on the exam table and caressed the auburn hair one more time. "Be careful, be gentle."

Mattie smiled reassuringly. "You know we will, Jean."

Jean nodded his head, realized he was keeping them from their job and left to pace the corridor, waiting for the word that everything had gone well and that he could take Remy back to his room. I'll try to make things up to you, I promise, petit.

*

"Everything went well," Olivier informed Jean-Luc as he placed his patient back in the big four poster bed. "I hooked him up to an IV because he needs fluids."

"When will he wake up 'gain?" Jean-Luc asked, as Mattie covered the boy with warm blankets.

"In a few hours' time, Jean. He's exhausted and I want him to catch up on his sleep. There might be some nightmares," Olivier warned Jean-Luc.

"What do I do?" Jean-Luc pulled the armchair closer to the bed and sat down, studying Remy's face.

Olivier licked his lips. "I don't know if he'll allow you to touch him. He might suffer flashbacks from the rape and who knows what other things he was subjected to in his young life. You need to be patient."

"Jean and I will take turns sittin' wit' de chile," Mattie said, smiling at Jean-Luc. "He'll heal."

"I hope so." Jean-Luc took Remy's left hand in his, stroking the cold skin, but stayed clear of the IV needle.

"I suggest you ask your cook to prepare some soup. Chicken noodle soup is usually the patient's favorite." Olivier checked Remy's vital signs again. "And he'll probably have trouble going to the bathroom for a time. His organs are a bit bruised and he doesn't have any bowel control."

"We'll clean him up when he has an accident," Jean-Luc assured Olivier.

"I'll stay in close contact," Olivier said, while slipping back into his coat. "Make sure he rests, eats and drinks. He's young and should make a full recovery. Also try to find him a good councilor, Jean, he'll need help to deal with the rape."

Jean-Luc nodded his head. "I'll look into it."

Mattie walked Olivier to the front door, but Jean-Luc remained at Remy's side. The boy moved slightly, searching for a more comfortable position and moaned softly. Jean-Luc stroked the soft skin of Remy's face, staying clear of any bruises and sighed deeply. "Remy, I know you can' hear me, mais I wanna promise you somethin'. From dis day on you're my chile, mon fils..."

*

He was hurting, but the pain wasn't as bad as it used to be. Remy even tried to stretch, but froze as pain rose from his lower body, climbing to his stomach.

"Don' move, petit. You jus' had surgery."

The woman's voice surprised him and he opened his eyes to find out who was talking to him. "Oh..." fled his lips, seeing the shiny beads in the woman's dark hair. The beads reflected the sunlight and sent sparkles through the room.

"Bonjour, petit, I'm tante..." She smiled and brushed a few stray locks of hair from his face. "You're Remy, oui?"

He nodded his head; unable to speak. Her dark eyes laughed at him and she radiated peace and warmth, two things which he had never experienced before. I like her... Mon Dieu, I like her.

"I made you some chicken noodle soup," Mattie announced. "De doctor recommended it."

Remy's nose twitched, smelling the delicious fragrance. His stomach growled and he averted his eyes.

"You need to sit up first..." Mattie collected two pillows from the small couch in the corner of the room and helped Remy lean forward while pushing the pillows behind his back. "Bien?" She helped him lie back and studied his eyes. The boy seemed content.

Remy nodded his head once and watched as the bowl, filled with hot soup, came into view. He tried to reach out and grab it, but stared at the heavy cast around his right wrist. When had that happened?

Mattie smiled, took hold of the spoon and leaned in closer. "Open up, petit. I made dis soup myself so you'd betta like it!" she teased.

Remy swallowed the first spoonful eagerly, but then froze. What if he peed in his bed again?

"Eat, chile. I'll help you visit de bathroom after you emptied de soup. Don' worry 'bout a thing, bien?"

Remy blushed, ashamed that she had guessed his thoughts. He swallowed the rest of the soup obediently, watching her closely.

"You like ol' Mattie Baptiste, non?" She laughed warmly and put the empty bowl onto the nightstand. "Wanna visit de bat'room now?"

He didn't want to leave the warm bed, but nodded his head nonetheless. He would die of embarrassment if he peed in bed again! Mattie pushed down the blankets and he tried to rise from the bed, but his eyes grew big, and he clutched his stomach in pain.

"I know it hurts, petit, mais it'll get betta," she promised and helped him to his feet. Slowly, she guided him into the bathroom. "Want tante to help you pee?"

Remy shook his head. He could manage himself! Thankfully, tante stepped outside and after struggling to push down his briefs, he sat down on the toilet, relieving himself.

"Petit? Are you done? I'm comin' back inside."

Remy quickly pulled his briefs back in place and tried to rise to his feet, but vertigo made him sway.

"Don' worry, tante's got you." Mattie smiled. "You done here?"

Remy nodded his head and allowed her to support him back to the bed where he collapsed amidst the pillows and hiding beneath the blankets. Closing his eyes, he wondered why he felt this tired, but as he dozed off, he only felt pleasantly warm.

*

"How's de petit doin'?" Jean-Luc had slept several hours and was now ready to relieve Mattie. It was his time to sit with Remy.

"He's eaten some soup," Mattie informed him as she got to her feet. "He's been sleepin' for de last few hours, mais I can feel him wakin' up 'ready." At times like these, her telepathy came in handy. "Try to win his trust, Jean. He needs a père more dan anythin'."

"I'll try," Jean-Luc vowed. "What 'bout..."

"His stitches? Olivier checked on him one hour ago and Remy's doin' bien. He needs rest and food."

"Olivier was here and I didn' notice?"

"We let you sleep, figurin' you needed it," Mattie teased, knowing darn well that Jean-Luc would sit with the boy for the next twelve hours. "I'm gonna catch up on my beauty sleep."

Mattie left the room and Jean-Luc took his place at the boy's side.

*

Hugo was back in his room, chasing him, throwing him down on the bed and... "Arrgghh," Remy screamed, tried to sit upright, but cringed as a now familiar pain assaulted him. His eyes searched the dimly lit room, and he felt thankful for his unholy eyes, enabling him to see in the dark. A man... a man rose from a chair and approached him. I've got to get 'way from him!

He crawled on all fours, fell off of the bed and landed hard on the floor. The man hovered above him, was talking to him, but the words made no sense and he tried to put more distance between them. "Don' touch! Don' touch!"

Shocked, Jean-Luc stared at Remy, who was huddled in the corner, motionless and eyeing him with big, burning orbs. "Petit, Remy, you're safe. You're at my home... Petit, do you hear me?" He sat on his heels in front of the boy, following Olivier's advice to not touch Remy. "Why don' you lie back down in your bed? You must be cold here on de floor." Mon Dieu, what if Remy had pulled his stitches and was bleeding again? Why wasn't Mattie here to soothe the boy?

Jean-Luc's words chased away the memories and Remy suddenly recognized the man who was taking care of him. Eyeing Jean-Luc, he tried to form a sentence, a plea to leave him alone, but his lips were frozen. He raised his left hand instead, trying to place it against Jean-Luc's chest, but misjudged the distance and it dropped to the floor. "M'sieur, are you real?"

Jean-Luc smiled. Remy was finally talking; the boy's silence had worried him. "Oui, I'm real. I'm Jean-Luc LeBeau," he repeated. "And you're my guest."

Remy looked about, remembering the room from the last few times he had woken up. "Dis your bedroom?"

"Non, it's one of de guest rooms." Jean-Luc carefully planned his next move. "Are you cold, petit?"

"Oui." Dazedly, Remy tried to recall why he was sitting on the floor.

"You had a nightmare..." Jean-Luc reminded him. He was tempted to put his arms around Remy, but knew it would only terrify the boy so he kept his distance instead.

"Oui, Hugo was chasin' me..." Remy licked his lips. The cold was penetrating his bones and he managed to push himself to his feet by using the wall to support himself.

"Who's Hugo?" Jean-Luc moved as well, ready to catch Remy in case the boy fainted.

"He paid five-hundred dollars for my ass." Remy collapsed on the bed, hoping Jean-Luc would stay at a distance; he couldn't stand anyone's touch right now. Squirming, he managed to pull the blankets up to his shoulders.

"Hugo..." Jean-Luc filed the name away for later when he would try to hunt the bastard down. "Remy?" He sat down again and found that the boy was still staring at him. "What do you remember?"

"Everyt'in'," Remy whispered. "You gonna hand me over to de Antiquary?"

"Non," Jean-Luc quickly assured him. "I want you to stay here wit' Mattie and me."

"I like Mattie," Remy admitted, shyly. His mouth was growing dry and there was some orange juice in the glass sitting on the nightstand.

Jean-Luc followed Remy's glance and picked up the glass, encouraging Remy to drink. The boy emptied the glass and Jean-Luc wondered what to say next now that Remy was talking to him. "You're welcome here, petit."

"Merci..." Remy privately wondered about Jean-Luc's price. Well, he would find out in time. Maybe he had only escaped Hugo to fall prey to this man.

"Remy..." Jean-Luc suddenly grew speechless. Now that the boy was awake, he didn't know what to say. "Is dere anythin' I can do?"

Remy nodded his head; he could worry about the price later. "Bury Philippe."

Jean-Luc frowned. "Who's Philippe?"

"We were livin' together." Remy briefly closed his eyes. "When I woke up Philippe was dead. Would you pay for a decent funeral? I don' have de money to pay for it, mais I can work it off."

You're offerin' yourself to me so I'll pay for your friend's funeral? Mon Dieu! "Do you have an address?"

"We lived at 14 Canal Street, m'sieur. Top floor. De cops probably found him 'ready, mais... he helped me... please, m'sieur?"

He couldn't bear the thought of Philippe not getting a final resting place, being cremated instead and his ashes scattered; but what if they had already cremated the body?

Jean-Luc watched Remy sob softly and briefly stepped outside to talk to one of his men, who promised to take care of the matter. When Jean-Luc returned to Remy's side, the boy was silent again and had wiped the tears from his eyes. "Philippe will get a decent funeral," he promised.

"Merci, m'sieur. I'll pay you back somehow..." Exhausted, Remy's eyes met Jean-Luc's. "I'll pay your price, m'sieur."

"Dere's no price," Jean-Luc assured him, but caught the shivers that washed over the boy's body. "Why don' you go back to sleep, petit?"

"Don' wanna face de nightmares 'gain, m'sieur..." Remy shifted in the bed. "Why am I still hurtin'... down dere?"

"We had to put in stitches," Jean-Luc reminded him. "You'll feel sore for a few days, Remy."

Remy stared at the ceiling. "Dere are angels on de ceilin'," he whispered, surprised.

Jean-Luc smiled. "Oui. Do you like lookin' at dem?"

"Dey seem so happy," Remy mumbled, cocking his head. "Dey are laughin' ...and dey're fat."

Jean-Luc laughed warmly. "Oui, dey're fat... and you're too skinny, petit. You need to put on some weight... wanna eat somethin'?"

Remy wondered if he had misunderstood. "Jus' had some chicken noodle soup." He had never eaten this much before.

"Do you like croissants, Remy?"

"Oui, mais..." He had never had the money to buy them.

"I'll back in a few seconds," Jean-Luc announced and headed for the kitchen. When he returned to Remy's room, he proudly presented the full tray to his guest. "Remy?" he whispered the name, then realized the boy was asleep. He put the tray down next to the bed and sat down, determined Remy would eat something when he woke next.

*

Three days later

"Olivier?" Jean-Luc held his breath as his friend examined Remy. Remy was still blissfully asleep and didn't even notice the doctor checking on him.

"He's doing as well as can be expected. Keep feeding him. The boy's too small for his age." Olivier smiled and stepped outside with Jean-Luc. "What about the nightmares?"

"He's had dem frequently dese last three days. He won' let me touch him, mais once he realizes it's me or Mattie he calms down." Three days had passed by since he had found Remy and the boy had slept most of the time.

"He'll want to get up soon and walk around a bit."

"Can he?" Jean-Luc made sure the door was ajar and kept a close eye on Remy.

"Short trips, yes. Does he still complain of a stomach ache?"

"Non, and he's gettin' betta at holdin' it until he reached de bathroom. He's healin'."

Olivier nodded his head, pleased. "I've seldom seen someone recover this quickly. Maybe it's something in his genes, being a mutant?"

"Mebbe," Jean-Luc agreed. "I'm relieved he didn' have to go through withdrawal."

"If he only used Crack once..." Olivier's brow grew knitted. "I still can't believe his friend injected him against his will!"

"And yet he asked me to give Philippe a decent burial."

"Did you do it?"

"Oui." Jean-Luc noticed that Remy was stirring and wanted to return to the boy's side. "When will you check on him 'gain?"

"Tomorrow. I can let myself out. Go, sit with the boy."

Jean-Luc smiled, grateful that his friend understood his need to look after the boy and he returned to Remy's room.

*

Remy opened his eyes and found the chair empty for the first time. Either Mattie or Jean-Luc had been sitting there these last few days. Guess it's over now... dey grew tired lookin' after me...

"Ah, petit, awake again?"

Remy's eyes brightened, seeing Jean-Luc hurry to his bedside. "Oui, m'sieur and I need to use de bat'room." With Jean-Luc's help he walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind him. He was getting better and could walk short distances... mais I still need help.

He quickly relieved himself, tried to wash his hand, cursed the caste and returned to his room. After settling back down in bed, something hard poked him in his ribs. "A book, m'sieur?" Merde, he couldn't read, but couldn't admit that to Jean-Luc.

"It's 'Sans Famille' by Hector Malot. I thought you might wanna read it as de main character's name is Rémi and de two of you got some things in common." Why wasn't the boy showing more interest in the book? He had thought Remy would welcome the distraction now that he was feeling better but still confined to bed.

Remy cautiously opened the book and stared helplessly at the millions of letters that danced in front of his eyes. He couldn't admit to Jean-Luc that he couldn't read; it would reveal a weakness and he didn't trust the man enough yet to expose himself like that. While flipping the pages awkwardly he found a drawing, showing an old man and a young boy and he wondered why Jean-Luc had brought him the book.

Jean-Luc suddenly realized the boy's problem. He had been so convinced that Remy could read that he had never considered asking before giving him the book. "You can' read, non?"

Remy flinched, embarrassed. "No one ever taught me, m'sieur." He put the book back down on the bed and lowered his eyes, waiting for Jean-Luc's reaction; he had obviously disappointed the man and he couldn't figure out why it meant so much to him to make Jean-Luc proud of him! He barely knew the man!

Jean-Luc felt guilty for making Remy feel ashamed and picked up the book again. "I can teach you how to read and write," he offered.

"Merci, m'sieur, mais I ain' smart 'nough to learn."

Jean-Luc cringed, hearing the self loathing in Remy's tone. "Nonsense, I'll teach you."

"Don' bother, m'sieur. I won' be 'round much longer anyway."

Jean-Luc cast caution to the wind and sat down on the side of Remy's bed, ignoring the nervousness in the alien eyes as he cupped the boy's face in his hand. "You plannin' on leavin', petit?"

"I'm really grateful dat you took care of me, m'sieur, mais I know I can' stay. Dis is a bon home, not meant for street rats like me." One big tear flowed down his cheek. "I'll pay you back, m'sieur, don' know how yet, mais I will."

Jean-Luc took a deep breath to steady himself. He was trembling himself, while trying to radiate calm and reassurance. "You'll stay here, Remy. Forget 'bout leavin'. Don' even think about tryin' to pay me back." How could he convince Remy that his intentions were honest?

"Oui, m'sieur," Remy said, mechanically, but there was one more thing he needed to know. "Philippe?"

Oui, dat's it! Jean-Luc realized his chance. "Wanna visit his grave?"

"Can we?" Remy's eyes grew clouded. Had Jean-Luc kept his promise and given his friend a last resting place?

"Oui, we can." Jean-Luc rose to his feet. He had finally found a way to get through to Remy. "I'll ask Mattie to dress you in warm clothes and den we'll visit Philippe's grave, oui?"

Remy gave him a sad smile. "Oui, m'sieur."

*

"You'd betta listen to Monsieur LeBeau, chile. Don' run off, he'll find you within de hour, understood?" Mattie wrapped a thick scarf around Remy's throat, put a mitten on his left hand and adjusted the sling that supported his broken wrist beneath the thick coat he was wearing.

Remy was feeling warm. Tante had dressed him in a shirt, a sweater, vest, jeans, woolen socks and warm boots. The thick coat reached to his ankles and he had never felt this warm before. "I'll listen to m'sieur LeBeau," he promised tante and took a first tentative step. Relieved that he no longer felt sore, he took another step and another... he was walking on his own and smiled, reaching the front door. He had made it on his own!

"Bravo, petit," Jean-Luc complimented him and then carefully wrapped an arm around Remy, ready to pull back in case the boy flinched away from his touch. But Remy was way too happy to be out of bed and walking again to notice Jean-Luc's closeness.

Remy panted slightly. After being horizontal for the last few days he even felt lightheaded, but welcomed the sensation for it meant that he was getting better.

Jean-Luc guided Remy to the black Sedan and helped him slip into the back seat. He sat down beside the boy and kept a close eye on him. A blush had settled on Remy's cheeks and he didn't know if it was due to excitement or exhaustion. "You must care a great deal for dis Philippe," he started, trying to get Remy to talk.

Remy shrugged his shoulders. "I used to... in de beginnin', when we'd jus' met."

Remy had been remarkably quiet about his escape from the Antiquary's home and Jean-Luc hoped Remy felt comfortable enough to tell him what had happened. "I remember dere was a huge cloud of smoke." He decided against telling Remy just yet that he had instigated the incident.

"Oui, a lot of smoke," Remy said, his thoughts traveling back in time to the day he had escaped. "I had to move quickly and ran 'way, ended up on de streets and... I never knew dere was anot'er life beside de one I had wit' de Antiquary. A cop tried to take me to de hospital, I guess 'cause I looked lost, mais I ran, couldn' trust him, you see. Den I met Philippe. He was a hustler and a drug addict, mais I didn' know dat yet. He took me to a shelter and dere was dis nice lady called Marie. She gave me clean clothes, mais den I overheard her sayin' dat she was gonna contact de Antiquary and I had to run 'gain... I found Philippe and he took me in."

Jean-Luc listened, breathlessly, as Remy finally let everything out. He should have searched harder. "And Philippe took good care of you?"

Remy laughed, embittered. "Non... oui... well, he talked up de johns and I sucked dem off for money... dey told me I got a talented mout'... Philippe needed more dope and I got more johns... He shot me up once and I didn' want to be high, mais he didn' listen..." Remy's breath hitched uncontrollably.

Jean-Luc realized the worst was yet to come. "Remy?"

"Some john offered him five-hundred dollars if Philippe let him fuck me. Philippe was my pimp and he accepted... I was still fightin' off de drugs when he flipped me onto my stomach..." Tears were running down Remy's cheeks and he licked them from his lips.

"I must have passed out and when I woke up 'gain, Philippe was dead... The john probably wanted his money back 'cause I passed out... Dat's when I decided to run 'way 'gain and tried to steal your wallet."

Shocked, Jean-Luc stared at Remy, who had stopped crying. Remy had wrapped one arm around his waist and was rocking hard. "Petit, I'm so sorry," he whispered, wondering how he could help this lost soul.

"Dat's what Philippe said... I t'ink... I remember hearin' him say dat..." Determinedly, Remy wiped away his tears and stared outside. "He was de only friend I had."

Jean-Luc quickly wiped away his own tears, which he had hidden from Remy. Mon Dieu, it's even worse dan I thought. He was alone and tried to survive de only way he could.

"I ain' even sure why I ran 'way. Oui, de Antiquary hurt me as well, mais... I didn' have to sell myself to stay 'live."

"In what way did de Antiquary hurt you?" Jean-Luc wanted to know what had made Remy run away in the first place. "Did he sexually assault you?"

Remy chuckled, coldly. "When Philippe told me about rape, I thought de Antiquary had raped me... In a way de old man did, mais he raped my mind. He invaded my mind, took what he wanted, needed, drained me and..." Remy's voice was devoid of any emotions. "I wanna see Philippe's grave."

Jean-Luc looked outside and realized they had arrived. The car stopped, parked and he opened the door so Remy could get out first. He followed quickly and walked Remy to a newly dug grave in the corner of the cemetery.

Feeling tired, Remy raised his head and looked at the grave. Jean-Luc had even put up a tombstone.

"I only knew his first name," Jean-Luc said apologetically.

"I don' know his last name eit'er," Remy admitted. The tombstone looked empty with only the one name on it. "Can you add somet'in' to de tombstone?" Remy asked in a tiny tone, not wanting to infringe on his generous savior.

"What do you want it to say, Remy?" Jean-Luc sat on his heels and looked into Remy's watering eyes.

"Here lies Philippe," Remy started, searching for the right words... "Non, just put up 'Regrets and forgiveness'. Would you do dat, m'sieur?"

"Mais oui, Remy. We'll come back when de tombstone has been changed, oui?"

"And some flowers for his grave? It looks so... empty... uncared for..." Remy took a few steps away from Jean-Luc and clawed at the earth that covered Philippe's coffin. "Mebbe we can plant some forget-me-nots? I t'ink he would have liked dat."

Remy's form began to crumble and Jean-Luc moved quickly, catching the fainting boy. Visiting Philippe's grave had proved too much for the drained child. He carried Remy back to the car, making a mental note to make the changes Remy had asked for. The next time they visited the grave the words would have been added to the tombstone and forget-me-nots planted on the grave.

Cradling Remy's body in his arms, he slipped into the back seat and told his driver to hurry home.

*

"How's de petit doin?'" Mattie entered the room and came to a stop just behind Jean-Luc, looking at Remy as well.

"He collapsed," Jean-Luc said, thoughtfully. "Mattie, will he recover?"

Mattie stepped in front of him, blocking his view of Remy. "Physically, oui."

"And emotionally?"

"It's hard to say, Jean. He's been hurt so bad..." Mattie caught Jean's eyes. "Can you be a fat'er to him? For de rest of his life? He'll need you so bad."

"I can do dat," Jean-Luc said resolved.

Mattie nodded her head. "Den listen carefully, Jean. De chile has de gift."

"De gift?" Jean-Luc started a little. "Are you tellin' me he's a telepath?"

"Non, not a telepath... but his mind is strong. His mind is special. Use it to get through to him. You'll have to bide your time until his powers reveal demselves."

"What 'bout de Antiquary?"

"I talked to him," Mattie revealed. "He still wants de chile back, but is too weak to cross you right now. Be 'ware of de snake, Jean, or he'll take de chile 'way from you."

"I'll guard Remy." Jean-Luc stroked the soft hair and smiled. "Welcome home, mon fils."

Chapter five.
Discoveries.

Several days later, Remy sneaked through the LeBeau mansion, still trying to draw as little attention as possible. So many things had happened since he had visited Philippe's grave. Jean-Luc had kept his word and had had the writing on the tombstone changed, adding some forget-me-nots as well. He had sobbed softly when they had visited the grave yesterday.

Now he was beginning to feel at home here and that scared him. He had never felt this cherished and welcome before and he was waiting for Jean-Luc and Mattie to throw him out. As he walked down the corridor, he headed for Jean-Luc's study. Jean-Luc had assured him that he could visit whenever he wanted and he had never seen a study before.

It felt liberating to be finally able to walk on his own. Although he still felt dizzy at times, he was recovering and the only thing that annoyed him was his cast. The skin beneath it itched terribly!

Remembering his manners, Remy knocked on the door and waited for Jean-Luc's answer.

"Oui?"

"It's Remy, m'sieur," he said softly, wondering if this was a good idea after all.

"Come inside, mon fils."

Remy cringed at hearing those last two words. He really didn't understand why Jean-Luc called him son. Cautiously, he looked inside. "I can go 'way 'gain," he offered, seeing Jean-Luc reading some papers.

"Non, petit. I 'ways enjoy your company." Jean-Luc put the papers aside and gestured Remy to approach. It was the first time the boy had taken the initiative and it pleased him that Remy was growing more confident.

Soundlessly, Remy walked over to the couch in the corner of the study, his eyes always on Jean-Luc. When he sat down, he jumped up again as an angry growl echoed through the room. Remy froze in his tracks, scared to look down at what was causing the growls. "Sorry, m'sieur, didn' know, didn' look..."

"Remy, meet Napoleon," Jean-Luc chuckled, walked over to the couch and picked up the big, fat, orange tomcat. Napoleon usually disliked strangers, but he hoped the tomcat would make an exception for Remy. As far as he knew Remy had never had a pet before and maybe the boy would like taking care of Napoleon. Please behave, he pleaded privately as he petted Napoleon.

Remy's big eyes betrayed his surprise and nervousness. He'd seen cats and dogs before, even rats and mice in the building where he and Philippe had lived, but this cat was huge! Shuffling his feet, he wondered what Jean-Luc expected him to do. He hid his hands behind his back, makin sure he couldn't knock anything over accidentally.

"Would you like to pet him?" Jean-Luc watched Remy's face, seeing hope and uncertainty battle there and he wondered which would be victorious.

"Would like to, m'sieur, mais I don' t'ink he'll let me." The cat looked majestic, staring at him suspiciously.

"Remy, sit down." Jean-Luc waited until Remy had made himself comfortable and then walked over to him. "Open your arms."

"What 'bout de cast, m'sieur? He won' like dat..." Remy's voice sounded tiny and nervous.

Jean-Luc sat down beside Remy and waited for the boy to extend his arms. Slowly, hoping Napoleon would co-operate, he placed the tomcat in Remy's arms. The boy's eyes turned impossibly huge, feeling the soft fur and weight settle on his lap.

"He's heavy, m'sieur." Remy didn't dare move, afraid the cat would leap off his lap again. Cocking his head, he tried to catch the cat's blue eyes. Nervously, he licked his lips.

Jean-Luc smiled, took hold of Remy's left hand and rested it on Napoleon's head. "He likes it when you rub behind his ears."

"He's gonna jump off my lap, m'sieur!" Why would such a magnificent cat want to stay?

Seeing Napoleon stretch on the boy's lap, Jean-Luc felt confident that the tomcat accepted Remy. "Rub behind his ears," he repeated encouragingly.

Gingerly, Remy touched the silky fur and then Napoleon's head. "He's soft, m'sieur."

Napoleon leaned into the touch and Remy rubbed behind his ears as Jean-Luc had told him. The fur was one of the most amazing things he'd ever felt, so soft, so warm. Cautiously, he tried to pull Napoleon closer to his chest to cuddle the cat. Jean-Luc briefly held his breath, hoping Napoleon truly accepted Remy as part of the family. The tomcat didn't disappoint him; Napoleon began to purr luxuriously, pushing his head against Remy's hand, urging the boy to continue stroking his head.

A huge smile flashed across Remy's features. "He's stayin'... why?" He wanted to never let go of Napoleon, to carry the cat with him wherever he went, even hold him during the night, but Napoleon would never allow it so he treasured these rare moments.

"He likes you, Remy," Jean-Luc said pleased and ruffled the boy's hair. However, Remy flinched away and he quickly broke the contact, studying the boy instead. "I like you too, Remy."

Remy tightened his hold on the cat. This was it; the moment he'd feared all along! "Youlike me? What's your pleasure, m'sieur? Want me to suck you off or..." Remy felt silent as Jean-Luc jumped to his feet and marched back to his desk. "M'sieur?"

"Don' you ever offer yourself to me 'gain, Remy! I'm not a john and you're not a hustler, understood?"

Remy shrunk back, pulled up his knees and crushed Napoleon against his chest. The tomcat mewed in protest, but didn't try to claw his way out. "Sorry, m'sieur, I t'ought... I don' understand... why else are you helpin' me?"

Staring into Remy's clueless eyes, Jean-Luc sighed. He should have known better, should have controlled his anger, which wasn't aimed at Remy, but at himself for failing the boy when he had only been a helpless baby. Slowly, giving Remy time to compose himself, he returned to the couch and sat on his heels in front of Remy. Poor Napoleon... Remy was crushing the tomcat against his chest and the fact that Napoleon allowed it surprised him.

"Remy, you can ease your hold on Napoleon. He isn' leavin'." Jean-Luc desperately searched for the right words.

Shocked, Remy realized that he was slowly suffocating Napoleon and let go abruptly. The tomcat dropped from his lap, but landed on his feet, licking his fur. Remy didn't believe his eyes when Napoleon jumped back onto his lap and began to massage his belly with his paws. "What's he doin', m'sieur?"

Jean-Luc felt relieved now that the emotional storm had passed. Remy was completely focused on the cat and had seemingly forgotten about their argument. "He t'inks your his mère. Cats continue to do dis even after dey left deir litter."

"It...tickles," Remy chuckled softly.

"Remy, did you ever have a pet?"

"Pet, m'sieur?" Remy avoided Jean-Luc's eyes. Hopefully Jean-Luc wouldn't remember what they had been discussing originally because he felt ashamed for thinking Jean-Luc wanted a blowjob as payment for his care. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

"Oui, a pet. Napoleon is my pet. I look after him, feed him, pet him... would you like to take over for me? Napoleon needs a lot of attention and I'm busy workin' most of de time." Remy's big eyes told him he had hit bull's eye. "You would like dat, oui?" Poor Napoleon. Sorry, mon ami, Remy will not easily let go now he has a hold on you. But Napoleon's wise expression reassured him. It was like the cat knew Remy needed him.

"Can I, m'sieur? I'll take bon care of him... will feed him, pet him..." Remy was rambling and his eyes flared bright red, then dampened again. "Mais non, I can' do dat. He's yours, m'sieur."

"He's our pet, Remy, oui?" Jean-Luc gave Remy a look filled with hope. "Please accept dis li'l gift from me to you?"

Remy nodded his head weakly and felt like he needed to apologize. "I'm sorry, m'sieur."

"Why are you sorry?" Jean-Luc carefully watched Remy rub behind Napoleon's ears.

"For t'inkin' dat you... dat you wanted me to... suck you off... to pay you back... I jus' don' understand why you're takin' care of me." Remy bowed his head in defeat, closed his eyes and concentrated on cuddling the tomcat. "I'm still scared you'll hand me over to de Antiquary or t'row me out onto de streets 'gain. I can' believe I'm dis lucky."

Jean-Luc nodded his head once. "I understand, Remy, I really do, mais dis is for real, oui?" One day I'll have to tell you dat I stole you from de hospital and delivered you into de Antiquary's hands, mais not yet. You need to gain strength first.

A comfortable silence descended on the study and Jean-Luc found that Remy's eyes were closing. "Are you tired, Remy?"

"A petit peu, m'sieur. It's been de first time I left my room on my own..." Until now either tante or Jean-Luc had helped him getting around. "Mais I don' wanna leave Nappie yet."

"Nappie?" Jean-Luc raised an eyebrow, but the dignified tomcat seemed to accept the nickname as he licked Remy's left hand.

"Why don' you take him wit' you?"

"Can' walk and carry him at de same time, m'sieur. I would drop him..." Remy yawned and rested his head against the cushions. Rain was crashing against the window and he smiled, melancholy. "I hate rain."

"You do?" Jean-Luc picked up Napoleon and put him on the floor. Then he lifted Remy in his arms and carried the sleepy boy back to his room. Napoleon followed and jumped onto Remy's bed when Jean-Luc put the boy in its center. Knowing that Remy didn't want him to undress him, Jean-Luc simply covered him with a blanket. He had tried undressing Remy once when he had been half asleep and the boy had started fighting him, reliving some horrid memories.

Napoleon curled up beside Remy and the boy wrapped his arms around the tomcat. "Poor Napoleon," Jean-Luc whispered.

"I heard dat... want him back?" Remy failed to open his eyes. Napoleon radiated heat and made him feel warm from the inside. It was like the tomcat was inside his mind, but this time he didn't shrink back in fear like when the Antiquary had drained him. Napoleon felt warm, and a protective blanket wrapped itself around his thoughts, luring him into relaxation.

"It's startin' Jean."

Jean-Luc startled hearing Mattie's voice. He hadn't heard her enter the room. "What is?"

"His powers... I don' think he's a telepath," Mattie said, walking over to the bed and stroking Remy's hair. "An empath mebbe."

"Empath?" Frowning, Jean-Luc's gaze shifted from Remy to Mattie. "Can you teach him how to control his power?"

"I can try," Mattie whispered, smiling. "He's a good chile, Jean. Stop worryin'. Remy will be fine."

"I hope so." Jean-Luc released a sigh and left Remy's room, giving Mattie and Remy some privacy as she started undressing the boy. I really hope so, Mattie. Remy's been so badly hurt... so badly... can our love heal him? Jean-Luc looked over his shoulder and found that Remy was sound asleep. I'll love you so much that you'll have to heal, Remy. I won' fail you' gain.

*

Jean-Luc hugged Henri, welcoming his son home at last. Henri had been away on Guild matters and it had taken him longer than expected to wrap everything up in New York. "Mon fils, it's good to have you back."

Henri smiled as well and patted his father's back. "It's good to be back!"

Jean-Luc and Henri walked to his study and the first thing Henri noticed was Napoleon's absence. "Did somethin' happen to Napoleon while I was 'way?"

"Sit down, Henri. I need to tell you some things." Jean-Luc filled two glasses with Bourbon and handed his son one. "About four months ago we tried to sprin' de chile with de alien eyes, remember?"

"Oui." Henri sipped his Bourbon. "And we failed. What's got dis to do with Napoleon?"

"I ran into de boy a week ago. He's been stayin' with me ever since. Napoleon kinda adopted de boy."

Henri was surprised, but managed to hide it. "What are your plans regardin' de boy?" His father had never told him why he wanted to free the child, he had just followed Jean-Luc's orders. He trusted his father to have good reasons for taking the boy as his protégé.

"I wanna adopt him." Jean-Luc watched his son carefully.

"Adopt him?" Henri put his glass down and began pacing the study. "Dat's a big step. Why?"

"I owe Remy big time."

"Remy?"

"Dat's de name he gave himself," Jean-Luc explained. "He hated de name de Antiquary had given him."

"You want to make dis official?" Henri considered everything he had heard and wondered what hold the boy had over his father.

"Oui." Jean-Luc walked over to his son and rested his hand on Henri's shoulder. "Lemme tell you what he's been through. Mebbe den you'll understand." They sat down on the couch and Jean-Luc told his son what had happened to Remy after the boy had escaped the Antiquary.

*

Henri studied Remy closely. A layer of blankets covered the boy and he could see Napoleon's whiskers above the fabric. Remy had a dead grip on the tomcat. The boy looked smaller than he remembered; but his face showed deep lines, even in sleep.

Jean-Luc had told him about Remy being a hustler, about Philippe, his grave and trying to pick his father's pocket. Jean-Luc definitely had a weak spot for the boy. What do I do? Accept or fight dis?

Remy wouldn't present any danger to his position; he would always be Jean-Luc's firstborn and true flesh and blood. His ego could take having an adopted brother. "Did you 'ready tell him 'bout your plans?"

"Non, I wanted you to know first, mais my mind's made up, Henri. I will adopt him."

"Remy LeBeau..." Henri said softly. "Why not."

Jean-Luc smiled. "Now, keep in mind dat he's probably an empath. Remy will figure out if you really accept him or if you're only pretendin'."

"Oui, he's a mutant," Henri recalled. "Do you t'ink he has other powers as well?"

"I don' know much 'bout mutants. Mattie's de expert, mais she said it's unlikely mutants have more dan one power." Jean-Luc sat down on the side of the bed and stroked Remy's hair. The boy moved restlessly, trying to squirm away from Jean-Luc's hand and he stopped the caress. He didn't want to evoke any flashbacks.

"When will Marcel make dis official?" Marcel was their lawyer and would handle the adoption.

"He will drop by tomorrow. I want you to be present as well."

Henri nodded his head. "I'm lookin' forward to gettin' to know my petit frère."

Jean-Luc truly hoped Henri was being honest with him. "He needs a big brother."

"Don' worry, I'll be one."

*

Remy yawned, rubbed his eyes and hugged Napoleon upon waking up. "Good mornin'," he whispered into the tomcat's ear. "I'm glad you stayed." But it was more than that. Napoleon was still inside his mind and the cat's presence was comforting and warmed his chilly soul. "Dis will be our li'l secret, non? We won' tell dem."

It surprised him that Napoleon's presence in his mind didn't freak him out. It brought back bad memories about the Antiquary, but having Napoleon this close also soothed his troubled mind. The cat had also been responsible for his peaceful sleep, somehow keeping the nightmares away.

Was this Napoleon's doing or his? How was it possible that he felt the cat in his mind? "You're mon ami, oui?"

In the doorway Mattie watched them and realized she had to teach him how to control his powers. But that also meant telling Remy that she was a telepath and the only telepath Remy had ever known was the Antiquary. The boy would fear her and never let her get close again. She had to bide her time and wait for the right opportunity to show Remy that not all telepaths fed on others to stay alive.

"Mornin' chile. It's time to rise and shine!" Remy was startled and Mattie pretended not seeing his apprehension. She wanted him to feel safe for now and didn't mention her worries. "Need me to help you get dressed?" Remy's right wrist was still in a cast and made it hard for him to dress himself.

"I wanna try on my own." Remy didn't want to release Napoleon, but sensed that the cat needed to stretch his legs and get a bite to eat, so he let go. He climbed out of bed and walked into the bathroom to splash some water onto his face. He wanted to take a quick shower or bath, but something told him tante didn't have the time to wrap his cast in plastic this morning. Within minutes he brushed his teeth, combed his hair, stepped into some jeans and put on a sweater. He was actually quite pleased with himself that he'd managed to do all this without Mattie's help.

To his delight, Napoleon was still on his bed, waiting for him. "Nappie!" He jumped back onto the bed and rubbed the tomcat's tummy.

Mattie watched them, smiling gently. "Come on, chile. Napoleon's hungry and so are you."

Remy followed Mattie to the kitchen and sat down to eat his breakfast. "You'e tryin' to fatten me up!"

"Oui, I am," Mattie admitted as she put Napoleon's food into a bowl, feeding him. "Jean-Luc wants to see you after you're done eatin'."

Remy was busy shoveling his food into his mouth and Mattie sighed. "Slow down, chile, or you'll have another stomach ache."

No matter what she tried or said, Remy couldn't slow down eating.

"Why does m'sieur want to see me?" Remy asked between two bites of bacon and eggs.

Mattie shrugged her shoulders. "I don' know," she said, lying. She knew Jean-Luc wanted to tell Remy about the adoption and introduce him to Henri and she didn't want to spoil the surprise. "And why do you keep callin' him m'sieur? He asked you to call him Jean-Luc."

Remy actually smiled shyly. "Don' know, Mattie."

"Now you're playin' games with tante!" she chided him. Remy had finished breakfast and she shooed him toward Jean-Luc's study. "Don' keep him waitin'!"

Remy was already half-way to Jean-Luc's study when he quickly turned and ran back to the kitchen.

"Chile, what?" Mattie smiled as Remy picked up Napoleon. It took the boy a lot of effort to lift the heavy tomcat and Remy swayed on his feet. "You'd betta start eatin' more! Napoleon weighs more dan you do!"

Remy chuckled and managed to lift the cat to his chest. "You're comin' wit' me... not leavin' me 'lone."

When he finally arrived at Jean-Luc's study he realized he couldn't knock because he had his hands full of cat. "Huh? M'sieur?" he called out instead.

"Remy?" Jean-Luc opened the door and grinned, seeing the boy's predicament. "Want me to take Napoleon?"

"Non, I can manage!" Remy stepped inside, but froze, seeing the two strangers. His bravado disappeared and he moved closer to Jean-Luc, seeking the man's protection.

Jean-Luc noticed Remy's fear and sat on his heels in front of the boy. "I want you to meet dese people. Dey're friends." Remy nodded his head, but obviously distrusted the strangers. After rising to his feet again, Jean-Luc guided Remy to his desk. "Remy, put Napoleon onto de couch."

Remy sighed, but obeyed at once. "Oui, m'sieur."

"Remy, I want you to meet Henri LeBeau, he's mon fils." Jean-Luc watched Remy's reaction closely and saw the shock in the boy's eyes.

"You're his son?" Remy stared at Henri and quickly averted his eyes.

Henri and Jean-Luc exchanged a look. Henri smiled, mimicked his father's move and went down on his heels so he was level with Remy. "Bonjour, Remy." He offered the boy his hand.

Remy awkwardly accepted it. "Bonjour, m'sieur." Why hadn't Jean-Luc told him he had a son? Now he felt guilty for taking up Jean-Luc's time when he should have been spending it with his son!

"And this is Marcel, he's my lawyer. Do you know what dat word means?" Jean-Luc asked.

"Tante's teachin' me new words, oui, I know..." Remy searched his memory. "Mais I don' know how to explain it."

"He deals with official matters, Remy and I asked him to come here because I want to make dis official." Jean-Luc signaled

Remy to stand beside him behind the desk. Remy obeyed hesitantly. "I know you can' read yet," Jean-Luc started, seeing shame in Remy's eyes. "Don' worry, you'll learn how to read and write, mais right now you'll have to trust me."

Jean-Luc noted that Remy nodded his head, but didn't confirm he trusted him. It's probably too soon for dat. Jean-Luc cleared his throat and pointed at the paper. "Dis is your name right here."

"It says Remy?" He forgot about Henri and Marcel and cocked his head, recognizing the "E" which tante had taught him to write.

"It says Remy LeBeau." Jean-Luc held his breath, watching Remy closely.

"M'sieur? I don' understand." Helplessly, Remy looked at Jean-Luc. What game was Jean-Luc playing? Mais non, he doesn' play games.

"I want to adopt you, Remy. I want you as mon fils." Jean-Luc smiled as Remy's eyes widened in shocked surprise. "I want you to be part of dis family."

The first thing he felt at hearing those words was pure joy and he barely controlled the urge to throw his arms around Jean-Luc's neck and to hug him, but then he shook his head. "Merci, m'sieur, mais I can' accept."

Frowning, Jean-Luc cupped Remy's chin in the palm of his hand and sought out the boy's eyes. "And why's dat?"

"Henri is your fils. He needs you... can' take his père 'way from him." An incredible sadness slipped into his swimming eyes. He wanted Jean-Luc as his father, wanted the man to take care of him, but couldn't take him away from Henri!

Henri reacted at once and walked up to Remy. "Petit, come here and talk to me." He guided Remy to the couch and sat him down. Automatically, Remy's hand went in search of Napoleon to touch the fur. Henri smiled, convinced that his father was doing the right thing. "Remy?" He waited for Remy to look at him before he continued and he cringed seeing the lost expression in the red on black eyes. This boy desperately needed a father and family.

Remy trembled, wondering just how mad Henri was at him for trying to take away his father.

"Jean-Luc's a bon père, Remy. He raised me well, at least I t'ink so, mais you need him more dan I do. You need a père to take care of you. I'll 'ways love my père and I want you to love him too. Please, Remy?"

Remy's eyes went from nearly orange to bright red during his little speech and Henri watched the transformation in fascination. "You'd be mon petit frère, oui? We can do t'ings as a family."

Tears flowed down Remy's cheek. "Are you sure, m'sieur?" He couldn't believe Henri accepted him like this!

"I'm sure, oui." Henri pulled Remy gently to his feet and walked him back to Jean-Luc's desk where he picked up a pen and put it into Remy's left hand. "Lemme help?"

Remy nodded his head and watched in amazement as Henri guided his hand into writing his name beneath Jean-Luc's. Was this really happening?

Jean-Luc practically radiated happiness and contentment as he wrapped his arms around Remy, who oddly enough allowed it, not kicking to free himself. "You're Remy LeBeau now."

Remy tried to wipe away his tears, but found that Jean-Luc had a tight hold on him. So he surrendered instead, resting his head on Jean-Luc's shoulder and soaking up the man's compassion and love.

"Call me poppa?" Jean-Luc met Remy's eyes and smiled encouragingly.

"Ain' sure," Remy whispered, peeking to see if Henri was really okay with this. Henri nodded his head and Remy finally found the courage to address Jean-Luc. "Poppa."

Jean-Luc sighed, relieved that things had worked out and hugged his son. "You'll 'ways have a home here, mon fils." He held Remy close while the boy cried.

Poppa... poppa... I got a père, a père who loves me! Remy buried his head against Jean-Luc's chest and let go of all the feelings, which he had kept bottled up inside.

"Je t'aime, petit." Jean-Luc stroked the soft hair.

"Je t'aime, poppa."

A solitary tear made its way down Jean-Luc's cheek hearing those three little words.

Chapter six
First times

"Remy, we need to talk." Mattie and Jean-Luc exchanged a pleased look as Remy approached. The boy had been at the LeBeau household for over a year now and barely resembled the scared hustler they had taken in at all. Feeding Remy healthy food and making him work out had improved his physical condition and they were now here to deal with the emotional side.

"Tante, poppa." Remy smiled, showing off his white teeth. The dentist had shaken his head in disbelief when he had first taken a seat in the dentist chair, but investing money and time had certainly paid off.

"You keep growin', don' you?" Jean-Luc remarked teasingly. "We need to buy new clothes 'gain. One shoppin' trip comin' up... Mattie can take you."

Although Remy felt much more comfortable around Jean-Luc and Mattie, he always reminded himself how lucky he had been to pick Jean-Luc's pocket that day. "Henri said I did well on de agility test." Remy blushed. "He said I'd make a fine t'ief, be a grand addition to de Guild."

Jean-Luc nodded his head, remembering the surprise on Remy's face when he had told the boy about the Guild. Remy had been very eager to make Jean-Luc proud and had worked hard on becoming the best thief there was. "You'll make a great t'ief, Remy." He reached out and ruffled Remy's long hair. He had suggested cutting it, claiming long hair could hamper a thief, but Remy had declined and he respected his son's wishes. "Mais dat's not why we wanna talk to you."

Remy's eyes darkened and Jean-Luc realized the boy still felt insecure, probably always would, no matter how much he reassured Remy. "Come, sit wit' us." Jean-Luc picked up Napoleon, who'd felt neglected lately now that Remy devoted more time to his studies and dropped the tomcat on Remy's lap. Napoleon purred as Remy rubbed behind his ears.

"Bonjour, mon ami," Remy whispered, staring into the cat's eyes. Napoleon's mind was strong, remarkably strong for an animal and he soaked up the cat's affection for him. In return, he rubbed Napoleon's belly.

"What do you wanna talk to me 'bout?" Remy said hesitantly, hoping he hadn't displeased or disappointed the two people that meant the world to him.

"You're doin' remarkably well wit' your studies," Jean-Luc started, trying to reassure Remy, "mais we never discussed your feelings."

"My feelings?" Remy frowned. "I don' understand." Didn't Jean-Luc know how thankful he was that the Patriarch had taken him in? Didn't they know how much he loved them? That they were the only ones he trusted?

"We know all dat, chile," Mattie said, steering the conversation toward her telepathy. "We know you love us, trust us and how grateful you are."

Remy jumped to his feet and Napoleon's reflexes kicked in, making sure the tomcat landed safely on his feet. "You know what I was t'inkin'!" Remy's eyes narrowed and his old suspicions surfaced again, accompanied by bad memories featuring the Antiquary. The old monster had known what he had been thinking as well! Dazedly, he stared at Mattie, moving away from her. Mattie sighed. "Oui, I'm a telepath, Remy."

"Jus' like de Antiquary." He'd learned a lot since living with the LeBeau's. "What do you want?" He closed his eyes against the memories, not wanting to relive them after all this time. "Why don' you leave me 'lone?" He rested his forehead against the wall; why was Mattie doing this to him?

"Non, I'm not like de Antiquary. I don' feed on your life energy, Remy." Mattie walked toward him, but refrained from touching him. He didn't trust her right now and would only grow more distant. "I wanna help."

Remy's eyes met hers. "Help?" Could he still trust her? She had said she didn't want his life energy, but she wanted something from him.

"I wanna teach you how to control your empathy. You need strong shields and..."

"Empathy?" Remy's eyes grew big.

"Oui, you're an empath. You read emotions like I read thoughts." Mattie gave him a thoughtful look. "You've been broadcastin' dese last few days. You're gettin' stronger and you need to learn how to deal wit' it."

"I ain' an empat'," Remy whispered, shocked.

"Den how come you feel Napoleon in your mind? Your empathy grew after Jean gave you Napoleon to care for, don' deny it, chile."

"I don' wanna be an empat'," Remy mumbled, lost. What was an empath?

"You have a beautiful gift, chile. Lemme teach you." Mattie extended her hand, hoping Remy still trusted her. "I'll never let you down, Remy. I want what's best for you. Please, trust me... petit."

Hearing that endearment made Remy decide to accept her offer. "You took me in, gave me a reason to live," he started and his gaze shifted from Mattie to Jean-Luc, "I want bot' of you to be proud of me."

"You're a great student, Remy, and you'll master dis as well. You make me very proud." Jean-Luc rested his hand on Remy's shoulder, noticed the shiver that washed through Remy's body, but squeezed his son's shoulder nonetheless, trying to show Remy how much he cared. "Listen to Mattie, mon fils, and make me proud."

Remy's eyes glowed. "I will."

*

Henri carried Mattie's suitcase to the black Sedan. They were leaving for New York on Guild matters. Jean-Luc was feeling a bit under the weather, coming down with the flu and had opted to rest and spend some time with Remy instead.

Mattie locked eyes with Remy. You be a good chile while tante's gone. They had been working on strengthening Remy's shields and as well as being a strong empath, the boy had turned out to be a weak telepath as well. After Remy's initial reluctance to use telepathic speech the boy had turned out to be a natural. His shields were strong enough to lock her out and he could control his empathy to a certain degree. We will continue to work on dis once I'm back.

Oui, tante. Remy glanced at Henri and Jean-Luc. The two men knew tante and he were talking telepathically, but didn't know what that conversation was about. He still tried to stay on Henri's good side, scared Henri might feel jealous of the time Jean-Luc spend with him instead of with his real flesh and blood. Although Henri tried to make him feel like part of the family, Remy would never forget he was only adopted.

Mattie and Henri slipped into the back seat and the driver keyed the ignition; Remy and Jean-Luc waved goodbye.

Remy felt the fatigue in Jean-Luc's mind and knew that the flu was hitting hard. Jean-Luc had been working too hard and too many hours and his body was paying the toll. Suddenly Jean-Luc's hand settled on his shoulder and he barely repressed the reflex to pull away. Instead, he offered Jean-Luc the support he was looking for. "Wanna go inside 'gain?"

"Mebbe I should lie down for a bit," Jean-Luc whispered. Was he running a fever? A coughing fit almost doubled him over. "Mon Dieu, dis cold means business."

Concerned, Remy looked at Jean-Luc. "Poppa?"

"What are you sensin'?"

"Cold's gonna hit hard."

Jean-Luc smiled. "Help me to my study? I'll lie down on de couch for an hour. Dat should do de trick." His smile brightened, seeing Remy's frown. The boy would probably turn into a mother hen now Mattie wasn't here!

"Poppa?" Remy licked his lips. He had never contradicted Jean-Luc before and felt nervous. "You should go to bed. De couch will only wreck your back."

"Are you tellin' me I'm gettin' old, chile?" Jean-Luc chuckled, but then started to cough again. "Mebbe you're right. Take me to my room instead."

Pleased, Remy guided Jean-Luc to his private chambers. He had only been here once or twice before when the nightmares had turned so bad that Jean-Luc had let him sleep in his bed.

Jean-Luc sat down on his bed and sighed deeply, which set off another coughing fit. "Merde!"

"I can get you some hot tea," Remy offered, eager to take care of Jean-Luc. He closed the curtains, switched on a lamp and helped Jean-Luc remove his boots.

"Dis is absurd! I'm never ill! I don' get de flu!" Jean-Luc panted for breath, feeling an increasing pressure in his lungs. He started to lie down but Remy stopped him, fluffing his pillows so he wasn't completely horizontal. "I would like some tea." Remy's eyes glowed with pleasure and Jean-Luc smiled despite feeling nauseous and dizzy. Remy will baby me to deat'!

"What kinda tea would you like, poppa?" Remy tucked the blanket around Jean-Luc's form. He had never had the chance to take care of Jean-Luc and he wanted to do everything right.

"Chamomile, wit' a hint of lemon? Steamin' hot?" Jean-Luc actually enjoyed seeing Remy fuss over him.

"One hot tea comin' up!" Remy started for the door, then looked over his shoulder. "Are you comfortable, poppa? Anyt'in' else you want me to fetch?"

"Hot tea is jus' fine, Remy." Jean-Luc sighed relieved when Remy had left his room. Even Mattie wasn't this bad! He won' hardly let me out of his sight...

*

Remy hurried back to Jean-Luc, carrying the tray with hot tea and crackers. He was humming softly, determined to take care of Jean-Luc until his father felt better. "Poppa?"

"I'm still 'wake, Remy..." Jean-Luc sneezed and realized he didn't have any tissues.

"Want me to get you some tissues?" Remy handed Jean-Luc the mug filled with hot tea.

"You're cheatin', petit."

Remy felt caught in the act. Jean-Luc had given him permission to peak at his mind, but he still felt hesitant to do so. Jean-Luc had formidable shields himself and he wouldn't be able to read his father's thoughts if Jean-Luc didn't want him to.

"Tissues, right." Remy looked about and headed for the bathroom. He placed the box with tissues next to Jean-Luc and stood in front of the bed, wondering what to do next. Jean-Luc blew his nose and Remy giggled.

"What?"

"Your nose is glowin'," Remy remarked teasingly.

"Why don' you fetch Napoleon and keep me company? It's been a while since we talked."

Napoleon walked into the room, looked at them and settled down at the foot of Jean-Luc's bed.

"He must have heard dat," Jean-Luc teased. "Remy, come here." He patted the space next to him and noticed that the old wariness returned to Remy's eyes. "You know you can trust me, petit."

Remy sat cross-legged on the bed and watched Jean-Luc closely. "What?"

"You're doin' so well, Remy. When I took you in, I hoped you'd recover, mais I feared it was too late." He had wanted to tell Remy about his betrayal several times, but had chickened out. How could he tell Remy he had delivered him into the Antiquary's hands? "You feel at home here?"

Remy quickly nodded his head. "Oui, love it here."

Jean-Luc speech was stopped short by another coughing fit. "Mer..." He didn't even get the chance to finish the word, feeling weak and cold.

Remy left the bed to collect another blanket and placed it on top of the first. "Warmer?"

"Merci, Remy." Sipping his tea, Jean-Luc felt at peace, in spite of being ill.

*

"Dis... is... disgustin'!" Jean-Luc cringed; a sneezing bout had taken him by surprise and his hands were covered in snot. His eyes stung, he felt weak and chills wracked his body. Thankfully, Remy was still at his side eighteen hours later, bringing him hot tea and a new load of tissues. "You should get some sleep as well, Remy."

"I'm bien," Remy whispered, helping Jean-Luc sip his tea, supporting his father's hand. "I like takin' care of you." The words escaped his lips before he realized what he was saying. Lowering his eyes, he stared at the crackers Jean-Luc had refused to eat, claiming he was nauseous.

Jean-Luc smiled encouragingly. "I like takin' care of you too. We're quite a pair, Remy." Suddenly, his stomach contracted. "Remy, bathroom, now!"

Remy grabbed Jean-Luc around the waist and supported him while they made their way to the bathroom. Jean-Luc lunged for the porcelain bowl and emptied his stomach. After everything had left his digestive tract, dry heaves continued to torment him. He was very much aware of Remy, who was rubbing his back and brushing back his hair. De roles are certainly reversed.

"Poppa? Want me to call tante or Olivier?" Remy was getting worried, feeling the exhaustion in Jean-Luc's mind.

"Let's give it another 12 hours, bien? If I don' feel betta by den, we'll call Olivier." Jean-Luc sat back and leaned his back against the wall.

Remy flushed the toilet again and looked lost.

"Mouthwash?" Jean-Luc suggested, but Remy shook his head.

"Non, you should brush your teet' or you'll never get rid of de taste."

Jean-Luc chuckled again. "You'd make a bon nurse, Remy. Sure you wanna be t'ief?" He dragged himself to his feet and picked up his toothbrush. "Toothpaste?"

Remy uncapped the tube and handed it to Jean-Luc. He felt proud that he could help Jean-Luc and that his father was leaning on him. I'll take bon care of him...

After brushing his teeth, Jean-Luc returned to his bed and pushed away the tea. The mere sight of it made him nauseous again.

"Remy?"

Remy sat beside him and absentmindedly cradled Jean-Luc's hand in his. "It'll get betta, poppa."

"Dat's what I said when I'd jus' taken you in." Jean-Luc closed his eyes. The pressure on his lungs was gone now and he hoped he would continue to improve. "You never gave up, petit. Must have been hard on you."

"You know what de hardest part was?" Remy soothingly rubbed Jean-Luc's fingers, marveling at how much bigger his father's hand was than his.

"What?" Jean-Luc opened his eyes again to search Remy's.

"To believe dat you didn' want some sort of payback... dat you didn' want... me in dat way." Remy bit his bottom lip. "De Antiquary wanted my life energy, Philippe used me to finance his drug habit and de johns... dey jus' wanted sexual favors. It was so hard to believe you were different. I was afraid to believe..."

Jean-Luc caressed Remy's fingers, regretting that this boy had suffered so greatly because of a mistake he had made almost eleven years ago. Which reminds me... It's Remy's birthday today, mais I can' tell him, can' explain why I know dat fact.

"You seem betta," Remy said, trying to cover up his embarrassment by switching topics.

"I feel betta, mebbe you can get me some orange juice?"

"Mais oui." Remy regretted letting go of Jean-Luc's hand but did so anyway. These intimate moments had become rare these last few weeks.

Jean-Luc used Remy's absence to reach beneath his bed. It would take Remy a few minutes to get the orange juice. He was panting by the time he had lifted Remy's gift from the floor and dropped it onto the bed. Fortunately, the content wasn't fragile.

"Poppa? Your orange juice." Remy handed the glass to Jean-Luc and noticed the giftwrapped package that had miraculously appeared on the bed. He pretended to ignore it, but couldn't help wondering what it was doing there.

"Open it, mon fils." Jean-Luc knew Remy was going to like his present because he had seen the boy admire it when Mattie had dragged him with them on a shopping trip.

Remy's hands trembled when he removed the gift wrapping. Why would Jean-Luc buy him something? His eyes widened, seeing the leather jacket inside. "Poppa?"

"I saw you admire it, mais you never ask for anythin' so I decided to buy it for you. Try it on." Jean-Luc nodded his head as Remy slipped into the leather jacket. "A perfect fit."

"Merci, poppa, mais why?" His fingers caressed the smooth leather and he avoided Jean-Luc's eyes. Getting gifts made him uncomfortable; he always felt like he should give something in return, except he didn't have anything.

Jean-Luc shrugged his shoulders, feeling tired. "It suits you, petit." He deliberately avoided answering Remy's question. "I t'ink I'll nap for a while."

Remy stroked back a damp lock from Jean-Luc's face, realizing how much he loved this man. Jean-Luc had truly touched his heart and given him the love he had craved all those years. "Merci, poppa. Je t'aime aussi."

He shrugged out of the jacket, reverently placing it over a chair. Yawning, he laid down beside Jean-Luc, snuggled up to his father and cradling Napoleon in his arms.

*

Jean-Luc experimentally stretched his body and sighed when the movement didn't cause another bout of coughing. Guess de elixir is finally kickin' in. Wonder why I got the flu in de first place! Feeling a warm body against his, he opened his eyes and looked at Remy, who was deeply asleep in his arms. The boy had truly fussed over him like a mother hen when he had been ill. You're a precious gift, Remy and you must love takin' care of me for a change.

"Remy? Petit, wake up?" Now that he was feeling better he wanted to check his agenda and see what plans he had made for today. Did I invite Belle and her father over to meet Remy? Marius and he had been talking about uniting the two Guilds and decided a marriage would work best, provided Remy and Belle liked each other.

Jean-Luc smiled as Remy continued to sleep right through his attempts at waking him up. Remy's growin' out, his muscles are finally developin', mais he's still too small for his age. He's even growin' facial hair. I'll have to teach him how to shave!

Affectionately, his fingers traveled down Remy's chin, and the hairs tickled beneath his fingertips. His voice also deepened a bit. He's becomin' a man.

"Remy? Sleepyhead, come on, wake up!" Jean-Luc tried harder now, tickling Remy. He never knew what reaction to expect when he did something unexpected like that. Remy could wake up giggling, but could also freeze up from memories.

Remy's eyes flashed open and he started giggling. He had been relaxed in sleep and the nightmares had left him alone. Looking into Jean-Luc's mischievous eyes, he decided offense was the best defense and tickled Jean-Luc back. A few months ago, he would never have dared to touch Jean-Luc in this manner. "You're feelin' betta."

"Oui, must have been your bon care, Remy. You really make a bon nurse." Jean-Luc picked up Napoleon and put the tomcat on the floor. "We'll feed you in a sec, mon ami." Turning back to Remy, he said," Merci for lookin' after me. I haven' had de flu in years." Mon Dieu, he's blushin'! Remy's blushin'!

Remy squirmed away from Jean-Luc and got to his feet. "I'll make breakfast for you and feed Nappie." Jean-Luc's praise made him feel awkward; he just wasn't used to being complimented.

"Bien and I'll take a quick shower. Remy, got any plans for dis afternoon?"

"Non, don' t'ink so." Remy halted in the doorway and looked at Jean-Luc who had managed to get out of bed and was stretching his body. "Why?"

"I want you to meet someone." Jean-Luc cringed seeing the sudden suspicion in Remy's eyes. The boy would never be able to trust unconditionally and it was his fault.

"Who?"

"Belladonna." Jean-Luc watched Remy's eyes go big. "Henri told you 'bout her?" Henri had taken on Remy’s training personally, trying to bond with his adopted brother.

"Oui, he even showed me pictures of her, mais I never met her 'fore. She's an Assassin, non?"

"Oui, and one day she'll be de leader of de Assassins." Jean-Luc had long thought this through. Henri was too old for Belle and engaged to Mercy, but Remy was of the right age and might be interested in Belle. Mais should Remy say non, I don' wanna marry her, de deal is off. I won' sacrifice his happiness.

Remy nodded his head; if this was Jean-Luc's wish he'd comply. "I'll be dere."

*

He's fidgetin'! Jean-Luc grinned, seeing Remy's nervousness. De boy's 'ways insecure when meetin' strangers. He walked over to Remy and rested his hand on the boy's shoulder. Boy? Youn' man is more like it. Only eleven years old, Remy made a very mature impression, probably due to everything he had been through in his short life. "Don' worry, Remy."

"I can' help it." Remy managed a weak smile. "I never met any girls 'fore."

Jean-Luc hadn't considered that. The Antiquary's Velvet Ministry consisted of boys only and later on the streets Remy had only been in contact with older men. Of course the boy was nervous! "Belle likes you."

"She does?" Remy's eyes showed surprise. "How do you know?"

"I talked to her." Jean-Luc hoped he wasn't adding to Remy's nervousness by confiding this to his son. "She wants to meet you."

Remy fumbled with the sleeve of his sweater. "Do I look bien?"

"You look fine, Remy." Jean-Luc caught the footfalls in the corridor and knew their guests had arrived.

Remy heard voices and stared at his father, mutely begging him to stay close. The door opened and Marius and Belle entered. Mon Dieu, she's beautiful! Remy had seen pictures of her, but they didn't do her justice. Belladonna was beautiful. He instantly fell in love with her blond, silk-like hair, which was hanging loose over her shoulders, her inviting blue eyes and her luscious lips. Something stirred in his groin and he blushed, realizing he was reacting to her presence. I like her...

"Marius, dis is my son Remy LeBeau." Jean-Luc had watched Remy closely and grinned. The boy was obviously attracted to her!

Marius shook Jean-Luc's hand and took in the boy's appearance. His spies were already gathering information on the boy, but Jean-Luc was guarding Remy's past well. Seeing the red on black eyes, he was reminded that the boy was a mutant. Remy wasn't his first choice for Belle, but if she liked him he wouldn't stand in her way. "Remy, dis is my daughter Belle."

"Pleased to meet you, Remy," Belle said, formally, and extended her hand. She raised a puzzled eyebrow when Remy hesitated to shake it. There was something about the young thief that intrigued her. The red on black eyes were fascinating and the boy was actually blushing... He's cute!

When her father had first told her about Remy and an eventual marriage to stop the fighting between the two Guilds, she had been furious, but now she was actually considering going along with her father's plan. Marius would insist that they date for some time, then he would proclaim their engagement and they would marry when they turned eighteen. Her father had planned her future and while she had hated that idea at first, it seemed way more attractive now.

"Uh... Bonjour, Belle," Remy stuttered, wishing the ground would open and swallow him. His face had turned crimson and Belle was still holding his trembling hand. He had lowered his eyes and now found the courage to peek at her sky blue eyes. She was smiling! Smiling at him! Weakly, he returned the smile.

Belle decided to help the poor boy. "So you're a t'ief? I'm sure you can tell me a lot of interestin' t'ings and mebbe I'll show you how to kill someone usin' only your pinky."

Marius and Jean-Luc laughed. Even Remy managed a chuckle. Belle had broken the ice and Jean-Luc was immensely grateful for that. Exchanging a look with Marius he noticed the equally pleased expression on the Assassin's face. They had agreed not to leave Remy and Belle alone and to limit the introduction to only a few minutes to avoid awkward moments.

"What? You don' believe I can kill someone wit' my pinky?" Belle smiled.

Remy was lost, seeing that smile. He knew that if he would try to say something only nonsense would leave his lips, so he stayed quiet and tried to hold her gaze instead.

"We need to leave now." Marius saved Remy from embarrassing himself and guided his daughter toward the doorway. "I'm sure de two of you will see a lot of each other in de future."

"Merci for droppin' by." Jean-Luc shook his head; desperately trying to hide his amusement. Remy already looked like a love-sick fool.

The door closed and Remy sighed relieved. "I acted like a dumbass." The blush remained as he looked at Jean-Luc. "You t'ink she hates me now?"

"Non," Jean-Luc said firmly. "She likes you, mais you're nervous and she knows dat."

"Does she also know 'bout... 'bout my life on de streets?" Remy lowered his eyes. "She's way too bien for me!"

"Nobody knows you were a hustler," Jean-Luc assured him. "When de times comes, you'll have to decide whether to tell her or not."

"I like her..." Remy admitted, shyly.

"We could tell," Jean-Luc teased. "Marius was pleased as well. I'm certain he'll contact me to arrange for another meetin'. I'm glad you like her."

Remy shuffled his feet and the strange sensation in his stomach slowly faded. He had heard about love at first sight, but had never thought it really existed. Now he knew better.

*

Later that evening, it was time to turn in for the night and Remy undressed, only leaving his boxers on. It was rather warm tonight and New Orleans was threatened by a heat wave. Although he hated the cold, he disliked the heat as well. Lying down on his bed, he grinned as Napoleon settled down at the foot of his bed. Napoleon had spent every night close to him since he had sit on the tomcat accidentally.

Feeling lazy and comfortable, he stretched and kicked off the sheet, feeling hot already. Thinking back on Belle, he smiled, wondering if she really liked him. He could try his empathy on her the next time they met, but that was cheating and he quickly dismissed the thought.

What does her hair feel like? Remy couldn't stop thinking about her and when he fell asleep he still saw her face in his mind.

*

Belle was close, they were talking and he met her sparkling eyes. "You're très belle, Belle."

"You're handsome too, Remy." Belle giggled and moved closer. "Have you ever kissed a girl 'fore?"

"Non," he admitted honestly, feeling nervous and shy. "You're so beautiful, Belle, can' believe you like me."

"Mais I do!" Belle smiled determinedly and brushed his lips. "I like you, Remy LeBeau...

Remy's eyes flashed open; he was trembling and a strange sensation pooled in his groin. Looking down at his body, he found he had wiggled out of his boxers during his sleep and his penis... Non! Shocked, he stared at the clear liquid that left his penis in short spurts. "Non!"

His breath hitched and he stared at his come in disbelief. "Non... non!"

Jean-Luc, alarmed by Remy's cries, stormed into his son's room, ready to deal with intruders or the boy's recurring nightmares.

"Remy?" A quick scan of the room indicated Remy was alone, so his son was probably suffering from nightmares again.

"Remy?" Remy was hiding beneath a sheet, which he had quickly pulled up to his chin. "What's wrong, Remy?" Remy was shaking like a leaf beneath the sheet and the red on black eyes glowed with a frightening intensity.

When Remy didn't respond, Jean-Luc tried touch, but Remy jerked back. "Remy, lower your shields? Please? Trust me, mon fils." Remy occasionally allowed him into his mind when he had had a nightmare, knowing he could soothe the boy's troubled mind. "Remy?"

Remy blinked his eyes, realized Jean-Luc was in the room and began sobbing. He was confused, shaken and felt dirty.

"Remy, lower your shields? Den I can help you calm down. Focus on your breathin', petit." Jean-Luc was clueless as to what had upset Remy and waited for his son to reach a decision. Reaching out carefully, he found that Remy had lowered his shields and he focused on his love and affection for the boy. "Everythin's bien, Remy."

"Non, it ain' bien!" Remy exploded. "I'm one of dem now!" Using the sheet, he cleaned himself up.

The action puzzled Jean-Luc at first, but then everything fell into place. "You had an erotic dream, oui?" Still concentrating on his love for Remy, he managed to calm his son down. "An erotic dream 'bout Belle, mebbe?" Remy nodded his head, but still avoided his eyes. "Dat's perfectly normal, Remy."

"Non, it ain'!" Stubbornly, Remy refused to meet Jean-Luc's eyes, feeling ashamed and dirty.

Jean-Luc switched on the lamp on the nightstand and took in Remy's flushed appearance. "It's normal to feel confused, Remy. Dis took you by surprise, mais it was bound to happen. You're a man now."

"I don' wanna be a man!"

What was he missing? Jean-Luc studied Remy's face and recalled his son's words. "What did you mean when you said; 'you're one of dem now'?"

"A john," Remy admitted in a shaky tone. "Johns come... I never did..."

"You were too young. Surely you know 'bout dis?" Jean-Luc frowned. Didn' anyone tell him what to expect? Den 'gain, who could have told him? De Antiquary didn' care and Philippe... Merde, it's up to me. Henri knew all dis stuff and wasn' upset when he had his first ejaculation. Mon Dieu, how do I explain t'ings to Remy? Wit' his prior experiences dis had to upset him. Remy won' approach dis rationally.

"I wanna take a shower, please leave?" Remy fidgeted with the sheet, desperate to wash away his shame.

"Bien," Jean-Luc sighed. "Take a shower and den come to my room. We need to talk." Jean-Luc got to his feet and licked his lips. "Remy, it's bien. Please, believe me?"

Remy nodded his head, but his set jaw indicated he didn't believe Jean-Luc. "Move it, petit. Take dat shower and den you'll come to my room. Understood?"

"Oui." Remy waited until Jean-Luc had left the room, pushed down the dirty sheet and hurried into the bathroom. After turning on the shower, he stepped beneath the warm spray and poured a generous amount of shower gel into his hand. He scrubbed his skin until it was red and then left the shower cabin. After wrapping some towels around his body, he collapsed onto the floor and began rocking slowly. "I'm one of dem now..."

*

Jean-Luc became impatient and worried when Remy didn't show up and decided to return to his son's room. Finding it empty, he called Remy's name. A soft groan attracted his attention and he stepped into the bathroom, finding Remy sitting on the floor. Sitting on his heels, he cupped Remy's chin in the palm of his hand and forced him to meet his eyes. "Remy?

Remy's draped eyes begged him to leave him alone, but instead Jean-Luc wrapped his arms around the trembling boy, lifted him and carried him to the couch in the corner of Remy's bedroom. "We're gonna talk now," he announced, firmly.

"Why is dis happenin' to me?" Remy lifted his eyes and met Jean-Luc's apologetically. "What did I do wrong?"

Jean-Luc smiled reassuringly. "Rien, you did nothin' wrong."

"Den why..." Remy frowned. "Only johns..."

Jean-Luc finally understood what was upsetting Remy. "You're a man now Remy, and your body's goin' through a lot of changes. Dis is normal. Every man has erotic dreams and orgasms. It's normal."

Remy stared at Jean-Luc. He couldn't believe his father wasn't equally upset. "Do you have dem?" When Jean-Luc hesitated to answer, Remy nodded his head. "Non, you don' have dem! Mais I have... why am I bein' punished? I tried to be de best I can, mais... it's cause I sucked them off, non? Dis is..."

"Remy, stop it." Jean-Luc's voice was remarkably calm and warm. "You aren' bein' punished." He took a deep breath before making his next admission. "I have erotic dreams too, Remy. And oui, sometimes I come in my sleep. It's perfectly healthy."

Remy's big eyes almost made him smile, almost, but he didn't, not wanting to ridicule Remy's fears. "Why don' you get dressed and we continue dis in my study?"

Only now, Remy realized that he was still naked beneath the towels. His face grew flustered and he quickly nodded his head. Jean-Luc wouldn't let this matter rest and he had better get dressed and join his father in the study.

*

Fifteen minutes later, Remy shuffled into Jean-Luc's study, feeling awkward and shy. He had slipped into some jeans and a blue sweater, but still felt naked and vulnerable.

"Ah, Remy, come sit wit' me." Jean-Luc signaled Remy to sit on the couch next to him.

Remy accepted the invitation, but sat down on the other end of the couch, putting distance between them.

Jean-Luc cleared his throat, reminding himself to treat this rationally for Remy's sake. "Remy, I assumed you 'ready knew what was happenin' to your body, considerin' your... prior experiences on de streets. I should have known betta."

Remy nodded his head, wondering what Jean-Luc really wanted to say.

"Let's have dat talk now?" After Remy nodded his head, Jean-Luc continued. He had prepared this speech years ago, but Henri had laughed at him when he had tried to explain this to his son and he had secretly been glad he didn't have to talk to Henri about sex. But now, he had to talk Remy through it.

"Chemical substances called hormones produced by de pituitary gland in your brain are responsible for de physical growth in several of the sex organs, among dem de penis and de testes. Dese hormones are also responsible for de changes you can' see. One of dese is de growth of sperm inside de testes. At 'bout de age of 13, sometimes earlier, many sperm have grown inside de testes, and are ready to be released. Your first ejaculation occurred durin' an erotic dream and it's your body's way of lettin' you know you're startin' to mature sexually. It's perfectly normal and natural." Jean-Luc drew in a deep breath, relieved he had managed to get it all out in one go.

Remy had listened quietly, not interrupting Jean-Luc, but now he couldn't keep silent any longer and chuckled. "You're blushin' poppa."

"Well, oui, it's de first time I had to deliver dis li'l speech... and we're only half way through!"

Remy smiled; Jean-Luc had achieved the impossible. Jean-Luc had driven away his panic and fear. "What else do I need to know?"

Jean-Luc told himself to get it over with. "It's also a sign dat you're physically able to fat'er children."

Remy chuckled again. "Poppa, I ain' havin' sex."

"Mais you might in de future..." Suddenly, Jean-Luc felt saddened; Remy had already had sex with men in the past who had paid to abuse the boy's body. This wasn't new territory to Remy, so why did it feel so awkward? "Dere's somethin' else I need to tell you."

Remy nodded once, waiting patiently and enjoying seeing Jean-Luc squirm.

"It's bien to say non if you don' want to have sex."

Jean-Luc's words impacted hard and Remy averted his eyes. When he had lived on the streets he hadn't had a choice and it meant a lot to him that Jean-Luc stressed this fact.

"Always remember dat, Remy, you 'ways have de right to say non." Jean-Luc searched Remy's eyes, which never hid a thing. "Don' let anyone force you to have sex, petit."

"I understand," Remy whispered, softly.

"One more thing..." Jean-Luc caressed Remy's face and was pleased when his son didn't flinch beneath the caress. "You never know who you’ll fall in love wit' and it shouldn' matter whether it's a man or a woman."

Remy averted his eyes. "Can never love a man like dat..." He shuddered, remembering the men who had paid him for a blowjob and Hugo's face appeared in his mind, making him relive horrid memories. Never, will never touch a man in dat way! Never 'gain!

"Remy? Do you understand dat havin' erotic dreams is normal and healthy?" Jean-Luc hoped his little speech had reassured Remy.

"Oui, I t'ink so." At least the panic was gone. "Merci for explainin' dis to me."

"I'll ask Mattie to adjust her lesson plan when she gets back and put sex education on it." Jean-Luc ruffled Remy's hair. "Wanna go back to sleep now?"

"I don' t'ink I can," Remy admitted, honestly.

"Wanna talk 'bout Belle?"

Remy nodded his head. "She's beautiful, non?"

Jean-Luc agreed. "Oui, she's très belle, mon fils." Looking forward to talking to Remy all night long, he smiled and listened to his son describe Belle's beauty. Remy's got it bad...

Chapter Seven.
Puberty

"Remy, you did extremely well on dis last test," Jean-Luc remarked, pleased. Remy had passed his first Guild test and had achieved the official status of Guild thief. "De next step is startin' your trainin' to become a master t'ief."

"Merci, m'sieur." Remy beamed with pleasure, proudly wearing his new body armor, which Jean-Luc had given him as a reward for passing the test. These last four years had been the best of his life. He had become part of the LeBeau family, Mattie had taught him to control his empathy and Henri acted like a real big brother. Life couldn't get any better and that scared him. Something awful was bound to happen to remind him that he couldn't be this lucky.

"Belle will come over for dinner tonight." Jean-Luc smiled, seeing Remy's eyes flare. Belle and Remy had become good friends through the years and although they were always chaperoned, Jean-Luc was certain they were also meeting in secret. It pleased him that they got along. Marius had agreed to let Belle marry Remy and he had seen the happy expression in Remy's eyes when he had told his son the good news.

Remy grinned. "Can I go now, poppa?" Now that the official part was over, he addressed Jean-Luc as poppa again. "Wanna take a shower and dress up bien for Belle."

"Mais oui, get goin', mon fils. Dinner's at eight." Jean-Luc watched him hurry out of his study and after Remy had left, he leaned back in his chair and indulged himself by smoking a Cuban cigar. Watching the smoke float through the room, he realized how proud he was of Remy. The boy had made a remarkable recovery through the years, but the process wasn't complete yet. Remy still had problems accepting his sexuality.

Remy didn't really want to discuss his problems, but his son still allowed him into his mind at times, offering Jean-Luc information which Remy couldn't put into words. Remy still felt like he didn't deserve Belle, although the young girl was extremely fond of him. But there were other things as well. I need to sit him down for anot'er talk...

*

Remy sighed, enjoying the stream of warm water that caressed his body. While washing his hair, he wondered why Belle was coming over for dinner. They had talked last night, when they had both sneaked out of their homes and she hadn't mentioned coming over for dinner. Had something happened? Non, she would have let him know. They had their ways of communicating secretly.

Relaxing, he closed his eyes and lathered his body with soap. Non, don' let it start 'gain... His groin stirred and his penis was growing hard, fed by his memories of Belle's lips on his. She had first kissed him two months ago. They had both been hesitant and feeling awkward, but then she had taken the initiative and had brushed his lips. He had almost jerked away from her, not expecting the kiss, but had forced himself to accept the caress.

He was painfully erect now, but still refused to touch himself. It was bad enough he couldn't stop the erotic dreams, but he was damned if he would come willingly. His body already betrayed him at night and he wasn't adding to his shame. I ain' touchin' myself! I ain' a john.

Then Jean-Luc's speech came back to him, telling him it was normal and healthy to feel aroused and he began to doubt again. What if his father was right and it was okay to touch himself? He had been tempted to make himself come several times, but had always resisted the temptation. Rationally, he knew that nothing terrible could come from touching himself, but emotionally he felt frightened.

Hesitantly, his right hand traveled down his chest and he curled his fingers around his aching erection.Jus' dis once...jus' dis once... He would never do it again if he felt bad afterwards. Stroking awkwardly, he tried to focus on the arousal that continued to build in his groin.

"Mon Dieu." He panted softly, moving his hips and trying to fuck his hand harder. His eyes grew bigger as he realized what he was doing, but he felt unable to stop. He was about to come and he had to finish, had to take off the pressure that had been building for so long.

Leaning against the cold tiles, he stared at the hard flesh, already leaking pre-ejaculate. He was close, so close... "Oh, Belle..." He sighed the name, pumped harder and, as the orgasm hit him he dropped on his knees, trembling over his whole body.

The sensation ebbed away and left him feeling dirty. Grabbing the sponge, he tried to wipe away his semen, desperately trying to clean himself up. Shouldn' have done dat... it's wrong... dey paid me to do dis for dem!

Feeling guilty and lonely, a strange tingling in his fingertips jerked him back to full awareness. His fingertips... were they glowing? Impossible... Suddenly, the sponge began to glow as well. Tiny sparkles energized the air around the sponge and a strangled moan left his lips. What was happening? Was this happening because he had jerked off? I'll be bien in future... Mon Dieu, please let dis stop!

But the glow intensified and acting instinctively, he threw the sponge away. It hit the floor with a wet thud and Remy quickly ducked when an explosion rocked the bathroom, sending pieces of shattered tile in his direction.

Mon Dieu, why? Why did I do it? I should have known betta dan to touch myself... when will I ever learn?Still feeling shocked, he stared at the hole in the floor. Fragments of tiles had been swept into his shower cabin and a few had even hit his legs, breaking the skin. He was bleeding and the blood mingled with the water that was still cascading down his body.

"Remy?" Jean-Luc knocked on the bathroom door. The explosion had rocked this wing of the house and he had been walking passed Remy's room when the eruption had occurred.

"Remy?" Remembering Remy's panic when the boy had first had an erotic dream, he persevered and continued knocking and calling his son's name. He had to make sure Remy was all right.

Startling from his misery, Remy feared Jean-Luc might simply storm inside; he sounded worried enough to pick the lock and enter without permission. "Jus' a mo...ment..." Remy grabbed a large towel and wrapped it around his body. Standing in the shower cabin, he felt paralyzed. Although he wanted to move, he couldn't.

"Remy, either you open de door right now or I'm pickin' de lock!" Jean-Luc felt truly worried by now. Remy's empathy was leaking and he was picking up on his son's fear and confusion. Something had terribly upset Remy.

"I can' move..." Remy said, hoping it was loud enough for Jean-Luc to hear. "Poppa?" Suddenly, he felt like the nine year old that Jean-Luc had taken in years ago. "Please, poppa?"

Alarmed, Jean-Luc picked the lock in under five seconds and stormed into the bathroom, only stopping when he reached the hole in the bathroom floor. "Remy, what happened?" Looking at his son, he lunged forward, alerted by the panicked expression in the alien eyes. He wrapped an arm around Remy, who was desperately clinging to the towel that hid his groin from view and practically dragged his son into the bedroom where he sat him down on the couch. "Remy?"

Jean-Luc's hands moved over his body, and Remy shivered violently. He knew his father was only checking for injuries, but he couldn't deal with the touches right now; flashbacks were about to surface and he had to get away from Jean-Luc.

Jean-Luc read the fear in Remy's eyes and stopped examining his son. Remy's shins were bleeding and another shard had hit his son in the chest. It was still buried in the flesh and he had to remove it and dress the wounds.

"Remy? Listen to me? Please? What happened? How did de hole in de floor get dere? Why are de tiles shattered?" Remy was still trembling and Jean-Luc grabbed the blanket from Remy's bed and wrapped it around his son. "Remy, look at me?"

"Can'... you'll be mad at me..." Ashamed, he lowered his eyes and stared at the floor.

"Remy, why won' you tell me what happened?" Jean-Luc cupped Remy's chin in the palm of his hand and lifted his son's face, trying to catch the evasive eyes. "Remy? You trust me, remember?"

Remy sighed brokenly and closed his eyes when Jean-Luc's were about to meet his. "I... did somet'in'... bad."

"Bad?" Jean-Luc frowned. "Remy, you’ve never misbehaved and you were in de shower. In how much trouble can you get while takin' a shower?" Which piece of the puzzle was he missing?

"I... touched myself..." Remy stuttered. He rocked slightly, and Jean-Luc reacted as he had hoped he would, by hugging him and holding him close. "I never did dat 'fore."

Jean-Luc rested Remy's head against his chest and soothingly rubbed his son's back. "You never bought my li'l speech, non?"

"I know it's normal to feel dat way," Remy started, trying to put his confusion into words. "Mais it's wrong for me to feel dat way." It had made more sense when he had thought about it, but now that he was speaking the words, it sounded stupid.

Jean-Luc forced himself to remain calm; knowing Remy needed him close and in control. "Why is it wrong for you to enjoy your body, petit? Didn' we talk 'bout dis years ago? It's been naggin' at you ever since?"

Remy nodded his head against Jean-Luc's chest. "It's wrong 'cause... 'cause..." Words failed him, as he recalled the numerous times that johns had paid him to perform a sexual favor.

Jean-Luc felt at a loss. "Remy? Don' do dis to yourself. You're punishin' yourself for somethin' someone else did to you. You had to survive and it was de only way you knew how. You have to stop punishin' yourself, petit."

Remy shrugged his shoulders. "It's jus' de way I feel."

"Remy, what aren' you tellin' me?" Jean-Luc heard Remy's breathing speed up and he held his breath involuntarily.

"De sponge began to glow... it started right after I'd... I'd..."

"After you came?" Jean-Luc tightened his embrace, feeling Remy tense up. "It's bien, petit. Jus' tell me what scared you."

"I'm fifteen, poppa... and I'm actin' like a bébé." Remy tried to compose himself, but in his mind he experienced the explosion all over again as he tried push the memory into the back of his mind.

Jean-Luc smiled. "Everyone should have a shoulder to cry on if dey feel like it." How the hell was he going to find out about the hole in the floor? "Remy, you said dat de sponge began to glow." Hopefully Remy would get the hint and would start talking again.

Jerked back to reality, Remy nodded his head. "It began slowly, den it glowed stronger... I... I t'rew it 'way from me... de explosion, I didn' expect it and de tiles shattered..."

"You're bleedin', Remy. We need to disinfect de wounds and put some bandages over dem. You still got a small piece embedded in your chest. Will you lemme help you?"

"Why did it happen? You told me it was bien to feel dat way, mais when I did... I finally found de courage to touch myself and den..." Remy rambled on, letting Jean-Luc rock him. It bothered him that he could change back to a small child when something upset him. It had already happened a few times and he hated needing Jean-Luc this badly. He was fifteen years old!

"Remy, you're a mutant... It's possible dat de empathy ain' your only gift." Jean-Luc pulled away from Remy and looked into the swimming eyes. "We'll examine dis later. First we need to tend to your wounds, petit."

"I'm sorry..." Remy cringed, looking over his shoulder at the ruined floor. "Why does nothin' go smoot'ly in my life?"

"Come wit' me, mon fils. We'll get de first aid kit and bandage your wounds." Jean-Luc got to his feet and waited for Remy to rise from the couch as well.

Clinging to the blanket, Remy followed Jean-Luc to his study.

"Sit down, petit."

Remy obeyed and sat down on the chair opposite Jean-Luc's desk. Jean-Luc kneeled in front of him and pushed back the blanket, revealing the still bleeding wounds. "Dis might sting."

Remy remained quiet while Jean-Luc disinfected the wounds and put some bandages over them. The shard sticking in his chest was beginning to hurt and he bit his bottom lip.

"Remy? I need to remove de blanket." Jean-Luc waited for Remy's permission. He sighed relieved as Remy dropped the blanket to his waist, revealing his chest.

Jean-Luc retrieved some pliers and gently removed the ceramic shard. A rivulet of blood flowed down Remy's chest and he quickly cleaned the wound. "Look at me, petit?"

Remy met Jean-Luc's eyes and saw the concern in them. Jus' want you to be proud of me, mais all I do is make t'ings worse. Why did you ever take me in? You should have sent me back to de Antiquary!

"Remy, you don' really mean dat. You know I love you and I'd never let de Antiquary hurt you. You're a gift, petit, and you brought a lot of love and pleasure into my life."

Remy quickly strengthened his shields, realizing he had been broadcasting. "Sorry..."

"Don' be sorry, Remy. It can' be easy for you, bein' a mutant and discoverin' a new power, mais I promise you dat we'll find out what happened." Jean-Luc tucked the blanket back around Remy's shoulders. "Want me to cancel dinner? I'm sure Belle and Marius will understand."

"Can' face dem right now..." Mon Dieu, he had been thinking of Belle when he had jerked off! He could never look her in the eyes again!

"I'll call dem and reschedule de dinner appointment." Jean-Luc felt more worried than he wanted Remy to know. Those months on the streets had done far more damage than he had initially thought. "Wanna stay wit' me tonight?"

"Can I?" He hated himself for being this dependent on Jean-Luc, but he really wanted his father's company.

"Oui." Jean-Luc nodded his head and got back to his feet. "Why don' you go to bed and I call Marius? I'll join you in a few minutes."

Remy rose from the chair and walked mechanically to the doorway. Napoleon suddenly appeared out of nowhere and mewed pitifully. Automatically, not even considering what he was doing, Remy bent down and picked up the tomcat, carrying it with him to Jean-Luc's bedroom.

Keeping the blanket wrapped tight around him, he realized that he wasn't wearing any clothes and pulled some sweats from Jean-Luc's closet. Although the clothes were too big for him, he slipped into the sweats and laid down on the bed. He had worn some of Jean-Luc's shirts before; they usually smelled of his father's spicy cologne and feeling the fabric against his skin gave him a sense of safety. Jean-Luc had never commented on it, just let him be for which he was immensely grateful.

Napoleon settled down in his arms and he hugged the tomcat close to his chest. The animal's mind soothed him and he almost slipped into sleep, but then the door opened and he sat upright in his bed... "Poppa..." he whispered relieved, seeing Jean-Luc step into the room.

"I told them somethin' unexpected came up. Dey were 'bout to head over here." Jean-Luc took in Remy's appearance, recognized his sweats, but didn't comment on it. "It's a bit early to go to sleep, non?"

Remy frowned; if it hadn't been Jean-Luc stepping inside, he would have been sound asleep. "I guess so." He pushed the pillow behind his back and leaned against it, half sitting, half lying down. "I'm scared," he admitted shyly.

Jean-Luc sat down on the side of his bed and uncovered a deck of cards. He had taught Remy Poker some months ago and the boy had turned out to be a natural. "Wanna play cards?"

"Why not?" Remy picked up his cards and studied them. Royal flush. Cards must really like me. Horrified, he felt the return of the tingling sensation in his fingertips. "It's happenin' 'gain!"

The fear in Remy's voice took Jean-Luc aback and he stared at the cards. It was true; one of them was beginning to glow. He had better open a window for Remy to throw it out of because he wanted his bedroom intact, without holes in the floor or ceiling. Within seconds, he covered the distance to the window and opened it. "T'row it!" He couldn't take any risks, not after seeing the hole in the bathroom floor.

Jean-Luc's voice finally penetrated Remy's mind and he threw the card out of the window. An explosion in midair followed and they stared at the smoke, floating through the dark evening sky.

"Dat was close." Jean-Luc closed the window again and returned to his bed. "Remy?"

"It happened 'gain, why? I wasn' bein' bad." Remy's eyes begged Jean-Luc to answer his question. "Why is dis happenin'?"

"It's 'cause you're a mutant, Remy. Dis isn' meant as punishment, Remy. Your powers are growin' stronger and a new one revealed itself. We need to figure out how to control it." Jean-Luc looked at the cards in Remy's hand. "You ain' strong enough yet to charge dem all, mais mebbe in time you will. First, it happened with a sponge and now with a card. You can charge inanimate objects wit' some sort of energy... a very destructive energy."

Remy listened, breathlessly, wondering how Jean-Luc could deal with this so rationally. "Mais I don' wanna have dis power! What if I blow myself or ot'ers up? What if I hurt you or Belle? Or Mattie?" His tone bordered on panic.

"We'll figure out how to control it, Remy." Jean-Luc saw the exhaustion in Remy's eye. "You didn' feel dis tired a moment ago, did you?"

"Feel drained... started after I t'rew dat card."

"Dat makes sense, Remy. You charged dat card wit' your energy. You need to rest to replace it." Jean-Luc helped Remy to lie down again and covered him with a blanket. "I want you to stay here where I can keep an eye on you."

Remy sucked in his breath. "What if I charge dis blanket and..."

"Remy, don' do dis to yourself." Jean-Luc carefully plotted his next move. "Would it make you feel betta if I stayed awake to watch you? Dat way I can wake you, should you start chargin' somethin'."

"Would you do dat? Mais dat means you can' sleep, not fair." But his eyes were closing and his breathing evened out as he fell asleep.

Watching Remy closely, Jean-Luc drew in a deep breath. "Jus' when I t'ought we'd overcome de worst problems another one pops up. How do I help you control dis?" The poor kid had to be terrified he would cause some horrible accident.

Lying down next to Remy, he encouraged his son to move closer. Remy rarely allowed him this close in his sleep, but the boy obviously needed the reassurance that he didn't have to deal with this on his own. Tucking his comforter around their forms, he held Remy close, already trying to figure out how to help Remy control his charging power.

*

"Remy? It's time to wake up, petit." Jean-Luc gently shook Remy's shoulders, trying to wake up his son. "Breakfast will be ready in ten minutes and you need to change your clothes." He hated waking Remy; the boy had had a bad night. Nightmares had tormented Remy's sleep and at one point, he had even screamed for help. Jean-Luc had done his best, trying to calm Remy down and in the end it had worked.

"Remy? Wake up!" He tried again, harder this time and Remy's eyes flashed open.

"Merde!" Remy cursed as the bright sunlight hit his retina. Quickly, he closed his eyes again and rolled onto his left, turning his back to the rising sun.Huh? What's dis? He was resting against a warm body and arms were wrapped around him, holding him tight. Opening his eyes again, he sighed relieved, seeing Jean-Luc's face. For one irrational moment he had been back in Philippe's room with Hugo holding him down. "Mornin', poppa."

"Mornin', Remy. Feelin' betta?"

Why did Jean-Luc look worried and why was he in his father's bed? "What... happened?" He rubbed his eyes and tried to focus on Jean-Luc's voice.

"You charged a sponge and later a card, do you remember, mon fils?" Jean-Luc half expected Remy to start trembling in his arms and yes, his son was starting to shake like a leaf. "Rien happened while you slept. Chargin' dose objects must have exhausted you."

"I'm dangerous," Remy whispered, scared. "What if..."

"Don' start wit' de 'what if's', Remy. I won' let anythin' bad happen to you. Right now, I want you to return to your room and get dressed. Join me for breakfast in fifteen minutes."

Remy nodded his head. "If I'm still 'live by den."

"Remy!"

"Poppa! What if blow myself up?" Remy couldn't suppress his fears any longer. "I shouldn' stay... too dangerous!" Tears pooled in his eyes and he struggled free from the comforter, finding himself dressed in Jean-Luc's sweats. "I could kill you accidentally!"

"I don' t'ink so," Jean-Luc said, trying to reassure Remy. "So far you only charged lifeless objects. If you accidentally charge another item, throw it as far 'way as possible."

Remy nodded his head. Shakily, he got to his feet and headed for the doorway. "Poppa? Je t'aime," he whispered, wondering if this new power would kill him. It might, if he failed to gain control over it.

"Remy..." Jean-Luc walked up to Remy and hugged him. "Trust me, everythin' will turn out bien. You've got to have fait' in yourself."

*

Remy returned to his room, but at the slowest speed possible, knowing he would find a gaping hole in the bathroom. When he finally stepped inside, he avoided looking at the bathroom and headed for the window. Lost in thought, his instincts kicked in too late. Two arms caught him around his waist and pulled him close. Ready to defend himself, he stared into a pair of sky blue eyes.

"Belle? What are you doin' here?" She had sneaked into his room before and he had managed to steal into her room as well, but only when they had talked about it on forehand. She looked as beautiful as ever; her hair was long and fair, her eyes sparkled with energy and her full red lips beckoned him seductively.

But then his panic returned. I t'ought 'bout her when I was jerkin' off! Quickly, he averted her eyes, hoping she hadn't read that thought accidentally. They had confided in each other about their abilities and it had taken him some time to get used to the idea of marrying a telepath. If it hadn't been for Mattie, he would have told Jean-Luc to call off the wedding, but Mattie had shown him that being close to a telepath didn't have to hurt.

"Remy, why did you cancel diner? I really needed to talk to you!" Taking in Remy's appearance she didn't have to use her telepathy to feel how shaken up he was. "You look bad, Remy."

Remy calmed down enough to accept her embrace and actually leaned into it. "Belle, I'm sorry, mais somet'in bad happened last night and..."

"Neit'er you nor Jean-Luc left de house, so..." Belle looked at him thoughtfully. "And why is dere a hole in de bat'room floor?"

"Oui, we need to talk," Remy realized. "Mais not here. I need to talk to you in private."

"I need to tell you somet'in' too," Belle said, failing to mask the excitement in her voice. "When can you sneak out? We can meet at our usual place." Belle had the keys to one of her brother's apartments and they used it as their hiding place where they could talk without Marius or Jean-Luc hovering over them.

"After lunch," Remy said thoughtfully. "I'll meet you dere after lunch, mais Belle, why did you come here? A phone call would have been easier. One of dese days you're gonna get caught..."

"And all de explainin' we'll have to do den!" Belle teased and looked into his eyes. Something was troubling Remy, troubling him deeply and maybe she could make him open up. Using her telepathy to find out what was wrong, was out of the question. She would never enter his mind without prior permission.

"I'll see you after lunch..." Belle walked toward the window and opened it. "Don' be too late. Julien's comin' back tonight and I don' want him to find out dat I know 'bout de apartment!"

Remy watched her leave, and sighed. He had to tell her about his sordid past. Until now, he had postponed telling her, but he owed it to her to come clean now that their fathers were discussing the wedding. She had a right to know what he really was.

*

"Remy!" Belle hurried toward the front door, opened it and stepped aside to let Remy pass. Oh, he's so handsome... Remy, I t'ink I'm fallin' in love wit' you. Her feelings were evolving from friendship to love and she was actually looking forward to turning eighteen so she could finally marry him.

"Belle, we need to talk... Can I go first?" Remy collapsed onto the couch and pulled up his legs.

Recognizing the defensive posture, Belle sat down beside him, keeping some distance between them. His shields had never been this tight before and telepathy-wise she couldn't pick up a single thing. Swallowing her own news, she nodded her head; sensing he had to get this out of his system. Mon Dieu, how bad can it be?

"I need to tell you 'bout my life on de streets." Remy sucked in his breath and watched as her expression turn puzzled.

"Life on the streets?" Belle moved a little closer. "What are you talkin' 'bout?"

"You know I ain' a real LeBeau? Dat Jean-Luc adopted me?"

"Oui." Belle nodded her head.

Remy closed his eyes, unable to maintain eye contact with her. This was it. "I spent de first nine years of my life as part of de Antiquary's Velvet Ministry." There, he had made a start, now he had to tell her the rest as well. "He named me Noir and fed off me when he felt weak. Dat's why I overreacted when you told me you were a telepat'."

"De Antiquary?" Her father had told her about the wizard and the children that made up his collection, but she had never known Remy had been part of it.

"He... raped my mind when feedin' off my energy... I decided to run 'way and I did." Remy lowered his shields and he sent her fragments of his stay with the Antiquary. Carefully, he showed her his pain and misery. "I couldn' stay."

Belle drew in a deep breath as the images washed through her mind. She gasped, feeling his pain and she finally began to understand some of his fears. "I would never hurt you, Remy." Please believe me, Remy. I will never hurt you!

I believe you, came Remy's reply. He had to continue his story before he lost his courage. "I ended up on Bourbon Street, didn' have any money or knowledge of de real world. I had to survive... I met a boy called Philippe and he..." Remy shook his head; he couldn't say the words.

"What Remy?" Remy was still broadcasting and she felt his pain, relived that first night on the streets with Remy, saw Philippe and cringed, seeing the track marks on his arms.

"Philippe became my pimp." Remy pinched his eyes tightly shut and tightened his shields, locking Belle out completely. He didn't want to feel her anger, her loathing and rejection.

"Your pimp?" Shocked, Belle stared at him in disbelief. "Your pimp?" Remy, dis can' be true!

"I sucked dem off for a few bucks, mais we needed de money to stay 'live." Remy still refused to open his eyes. "After a few months Philippe sold my virginity to a john and he raped me. I lost consciousness... it hurt so bad and when I woke up de john was gone and Philippe dyin'... I asked Jean-Luc to give Philippe a decent burial and he did..." Remy took a deep breath. "You deserve to know de trut' 'bout me, Belle. You should know you're marryin' a whore."

Belle shook her head in disbelief. "How old were you when dis happened?"

"Nine, ten? I don' really know... Don' even know my birt'day." Remy was surprised that she was still here, listening to him talk. "When Jean-Luc found me I was determined to change my life, mais was 'ready on my way to make money to score some dope. I would have been dead by now if Jean-Luc hadn' taken me in."

"Remy, I need time to... work through dis." Stunned, Belle rose from the couch. Looking at Remy, she realized he feared her reaction, her rejection. She couldn't leave like this. Although she craved some time alone she had to reassure him first. "Remy, open your eyes and look at me?"

Remy gathered his courage and looked at her. He expected to see anger and hate, but instead her eyes were filled with love and understanding. "You've got to understand, Belle. I ain' sure I can perform my marital duties... I can' even... I still get scared when..."

Belle rested a finger against Remy's lips, silencing him. "Remy LeBeau, dis changes nothin' and everythin'. I still like you, like you a lot, mais... it hurts to know dat you've been through this and never felt confident enough to tell me. We've been friends for years now and you knew I liked you... you should have told me a long time ago, but I understand dat you were afraid, you still are."

"You're right..." His eyes stung, but he was determined not to cry in front of her. "I'll understand if you wanna cancel de weddin'. You deserve so much betta."

"Non." Belle shook her head. "I want you. I want you, Remy LeBeau. We jus' have to find a way to deal wit' dis. I need a moment 'lone to t'ink, to accept dis. Stay here, and I'll be back in a few minutes. Jus' gimme a moment here, oui?" Trying to reassure him, she gave him a peck on the cheek. "You didn' lose me... dat's what you're afraid of, non?"

"Oui, don' wanna lose you, Belle, mais you're too bon for me. I don' deserve you."

She cringed, seeing tears pool in his exotic eyes. "We bot' need a moment to compose ourselves. I'll be back in a few minutes, oui?"

"Oui..."

"And remember, you didn' lose me..." Belle smiled reassuringly and then walked out of the room. She needed to clear her head and to deal with the memories that he had downloaded into her brain. Mon Dieu, de pain! He's in so much pain! She didn't go far and sat down on the stairs, trying to get back in control of her thoughts.

*

Remy hadn't moved and still sat motionless on the couch. He had pulled up his knees to his chest, placed his arms on top of his knees and rested his chin on his arms. I'm sorry I hurt you, Belle, never wanted to.

"I 'ways knew you were hidin' a secret."

The voice made him jump to his feet. Remy turned around and faced Belle's brother, Julien. How much had Julien heard? The icy expression in Julien's eyes answered his question, everything!

"You're a fuckin' whore! You don' deserve de name LeBeau and you certainly don' deserve my sister. I want you to stay 'way from her! My fat'er won' let you marry Belle once I tell him you're nothin' but a hustler!" Julien seethed with anger. "Stay away from Belle, you hear me?"

Remy was at a loss. Emotionally, he was still trying to deal with the fact that Belle now knew the truth and he was in no condition to deal with Julien, who had always hated his guts. "Why don' you let her decide?" Remy immediately regretted speaking up, as Julien's right connected with his chin. A sharp pain swept through his neck and he tried to lean against the wall for support, but his head was reeling. "Don' touch me!"

"What?" Julien stalked closer. "You sucked off your johns, but now I can' touch you?"

Remy shivered as Julien's anger and loathing crashed against his shields. He had to keep them up or his empathy would destroy him. Have to keep his hate out! He brought up his hands in front of his face, trying to protect himself when Julien's fist impacted again, but this time Julien targeted his stomach and Remy doubled over in pain.

"Stop it!" Belle stormed inside, threw herself at her brother and managed to knock Julien off his feet. "You heard him! Don' you touch him and get out! I won' have you beat up my future husband. Get out, Julien!"

Remy managed to get to his feet again and stared at Belle in amazement. She was defending him! Why? No matter what she had said earlier, she couldn't possibly still want him!

Julien glared at her, but headed for the doorway. "I'm headin' home to tell our fat'er dat you're marryin' a whore. Belle, you're a smart girl, come wit' me. Dere are enough young men out dere who wanna date you. You don' want him!"

"Mais I do!" Belle stood in front of Remy and when he tried to interrupt, she shook her head. "Don', dis is between Julien and me."

"Belle..."

"Go! I don' want you here!" Belle spat the words. Julien slammed the door behind him and she turned around to look at Remy. "Mon Dieu, I'm so sorry he hit you." A large bruise was beginning to disfigure Remy's chin and left cheek. Remy kept one arm wrapped around his stomach and she pushed him back onto the couch. "Sit down and lemme have a look."

"Non." Remy desperately held onto his shirt.

"Remy?"

"Non, don'... it's not dat bad."

"You don' want me to touch you?" Belle blinked her eyes in sudden understanding. "I ain' gonna hurt you, Remy."

"I know dat..." Remy swallowed hard. "Dere are times when I can' bear Jean-Luc's touch eit'er. It ain' you, Belle, it's me..."

"I t'ink I understand. Dese men hurt you bad in de past..."

"Oui, dey did and dat's why you needed to know de trut'." Remy's instincts told him to move away from her when she placed her hand on top of his, but he remained motionless, watching her fingers rub his knuckles. "Belle, you don' want damaged goods."

"Dat's where you're wrong, cher," she whispered, while bringing the back of his hand to her lips. Gently, she kissed each knuckle. "I do want you, Remy... only you."

Remy couldn't suppress his emotions any longer and dropped his shields, shyly inviting Belle in. She accepted the invitation and caressed his mind. We'll do dis toget'er, Remy... I'll jus' have to cancel my plans.

What plans? Remy looked into her eyes, feeling her nervousness. He felt her affection for him and he didn't doubt she really liked him, but she was hiding something from him nonetheless.

"My fat'er wants to send me to Europe. He t'inks I can learn new skills from our overseas relatives." The sadness in Remy's eyes made her inch closer. "Can I hold you?"

Remy nodded his head and wrapped his arms around her as well. "How long would you be gone?"

"Years," Belle whispered. "I'd return a few weeks before our weddin'."

Remy sensed how important this was to Belle. She wanted to go, had been all excited about it and then he had spoiled it by telling her about his past. "Don'... don' give dis up for me. We can write, call... Dis is important to you and your Guild. You should go."

"Are you sure? Remy, I don' wanna leave you." Belle wasn't sure what had priority; staying with Remy or adding new skills Marius couldn't teach her. One day, she might lead the Assassins' Guild and she had to be sure her people respected her. If she was found lacking, they would never support her.

"I'm sure," Remy whispered. "Go to Europe. We'll keep in touch, chère." His heart was breaking, but he knew he couldn't deny her. "Everyt'in' will be bien."

Belle relaxed in Remy's arms and rested her head against his chest. Mon Dieu, I really love him... I don' wanna leave him, mais I have to. I promise I'll be back, Remy. I promise to make you happy... I promise.

*

Jean-Luc's heart felt heavy as he watched Remy return home. His staff had told him about Belle's visit and Remy sneaking away, and he had allowed it, knowing something important had happened. But when he noticed the growing bruises on Remy's chin, he realized he couldn't pretend nothing had happened. "Remy, my study, now."

Remy jumped, startled, hearing Jean-Luc's voice. He had almost made it back to his room and didn't expect his father to be this close. "Oui, m'sieur," he replied, recognizing Jean-Luc's serious tone. He followed Jean-Luc into his study and waited until his father told him to sit down.

"Who put dat bruise dere?" Jean-Luc's tone was controlled, but still full of concern. It worried him that Remy refused to meet his eyes. "Remy, who did dis!"

"Julien." Remy didn't dare look at Jean-Luc, realizing he had to come clean. "I told Belle 'bout bein' a hustler and..." He paused to take a deep breath. "It's impossible but she still wants to marry me."

"Did she do dis?" Jean-Luc's feelings of protectiveness were getting stronger. Someone had hurt his son, had dared to lay his hands on Remy! He couldn't let this pass unpunished.

"Non, not Belle, she'd never hurt me..." Remy's words were barely audible. "We didn' know Julien was in de next room or I would never had told her at dat moment. He overheard our conversation and got angry at the t'ought dat Belle would be marryin' a whore."

"Remy, you ain' a whore."

"Mais I was one." Remy's fingernails dug into the armrest. "Julien said he was gonna tell Marius and make sure Belle and I would never get married."

Jean-Luc was about to reply when a knock on the door interrupted them. "What?"

"Monsieur LeBeau?" The servant didn't get a chance to finish the announcement as Marius slammed the door to Jean-Luc's study open.

"Marius." Jean-Luc rose from behind the desk and walked toward Marius, trying to gauge the other man's feelings. Jean-Luc's eyes turned cold, seeing Julien enter as well. "You're welcome in my home, but not your fils."

Marius nodded his head and sought out Remy's eyes. Remy flinched, lowered his eyes and wished the floor would open up and swallow him.

"Jean-Luc, Remy, Julien wants to tell you somethin'." Marius roughly pushed Julien toward the two thieves. "Say it, Julien."

Julien hissed, "I apologize for hittin' you, Remy. I shouldn' have done dat."

It was obvious to everyone that the apology was a lie. Julien didn't regret a thing and Remy shivered, picking up on Julien's hatred for him.

"Mon fils had no right to react de way he did." Marius walked toward Remy and waited for the young thief to rise from the chair. Although Remy still refused to meet his gaze, Marius continued. "Julien told me 'bout your past, den Belle came to me, tellin' me how hard it had been for you to confess your past to her and dat Julien had been eavesdroppin'. She also told me she's determined to marry you in t'ree years and I love her dearly, love her so much that I’ll give her what she wants."

Remy shyly peeked at Marius, wishing the man's shields weren't that strong so he would know what Marius really felt. Was the man just acting?

"In t'ree years, when she comes back after completin' her trainin', de two of you will marry." Marius hoped he was doing the right thing. Hearing Remy had been a hustler had shocked him and he had been tempted to cancel the wedding, but Belle had set him straight, telling him Remy had admitted everything to her and he had been furious at hearing how Julien had misbehaved. His son had dishonored him by acting the way he had.

Seeing Remy's confusion, Jean-Luc replied for his son. "We accept Julien's apology, but I suggest you discipline him nonet'eless. He was way out of line punchin' Remy for bein' honest to Belle."

Marius nodded his head. "He will be punished."

Remy cringed, seeing the hate in Julien's eyes. Averting his eyes, he looked at his father and found Jean-Luc smiling at him. Lowering his shields, he listened to his father's thoughts.

Everyt'in' will be bien, Remy. Have fait' in Belle and in yourself.

Merci, poppa. Julien and Marius left the study and Remy walked over to his father, shyly wrapping his arms around him. "I wouldn' have made it wit'out you, poppa."

Jean-Luc smiled and Remy rested his head against Jean-Luc's chest. At least I know one t'ing for sure now...

And what’s dat, Remy?

Belle really likes me... Mais it'll be t'ree years 'fore I can see her 'gain.

You can call her, or write, Remy. You have to complete your studies as well and pass your final Guild test in two years. You'll make a great master t'ief and you'll be de first at so young an age. You make me proud, mon fils.

Remy nodded his head against Jean-Luc's chest. His father was right. He should concentrate on completing his training and he would find ways to stay in contact with Belle. Everything would be fine in the end.

 

Chapter eight.
Changes.

Authors Note :Please remember that this story is AU. I'm taking liberties with Belle's death as I've been unable to read the comics that deal with her last moments.

"Here, accept dis token of the Guild's appreciation," Jean-Luc said in a formal tone, handing Remy a small metallic box. Remy turned eighteen today and although it pained Jean-Luc that he couldn't tell his son that it was his birthday, he had found a way to give Remy this gift anyway. Remy had passed his final test and was now the youngest master thief the Guild had ever known.

"Merci, m'sieur." Remy accepted the box and wondered about its content. Cautiously, he opened it. Inside, surrounded by black velvet, he found a short metallic tube. "M'sieur?"

Jean-Luc took the metal tube out of the box and showed Remy where to push to make it extend. "It's a bo staff, Remy. It'll aid you when fightin' your enemies." After retracting it, he placed it in Remy's hand. "Now you try it."

Remy's sensitive fingertips found the correct spot to make the bo staff extend again and he swirled it exploratory, trying to get a feel for it. "It's a beau weapon. Merci."

"Remy," Jean-Luc started and folded one arm around his son's shoulder, "Belle returned home today and tomorrow's de weddin'. Are you nervous?"

"Un peu," Remy admitted, collapsing the bo staff and slipping the metal tube into one of his pockets.

"What do you worry most 'bout?" Jean-Luc sat Remy down on the chair opposite his desk and settled down in his own chair, while studying his son. At eighteen, Remy was a grown man, capable of taking care of himself. Still, he worried about his son. It had started after Belle had left for Europe and Julien had tried to beat Remy up. After that incident, Remy had begun building emotional defenses, building a mask to hide behind, acting arrogant and cocky whenever strangers were close. Except for Jean-Luc, only Mattie, Henri and maybe Belle knew how vulnerable Remy really was. Jean-Luc hated it when that mask snapped into place.

"What I worry most 'bout?" Remy blushed, shyly. "Consummatin' de marriage, poppa." Although he had convinced himself it was okay to jerk off, he still felt uncomfortable after making himself come and nothing Jean-Luc said or did, would change that. Now they expected him to make love to Belle, but he wasn't sure he could perform under pressure. "I've never been with a fille 'fore, poppa."

"Mais you know what to do..."

"Oui, I know what to do, mais..." Remy didn't finish his sentence. "I've been havin' flashbacks 'gain."

Jean-Luc nodded his head. He had walked in on Remy rocking on the floor, banging his head against the wall, trying to rid himself of the horrid memories. It had started after Marius had told them that Belle was on her way back to New Orleans. Remy was nervous and felt pressured and that was bringing back the flashbacks. "Belle knows what you've been through and she still loves you. Remy, have fait' in her."

"Merci, poppa." Remy fumbled the sleeve of his long leather coat, which Jean-Luc had given him a year ago. He had long figured out that this was Jean-Luc's way of celebrating his birthday and it always happened on the same day, May first. "I'm scared I'll disappoint her."

"Remy, de two of you have been on de phone 'most constantly. You know how she feels 'bout you, de distance didn' change dat."

"I know dat, mais..." Remy decided to change the subject. "Who will be performin' de ceremony tomorrow?"

"Mattie." That should reassure Remy and it did. Jean-Luc smiled warmly. "De ceremony will only take a few minutes and den you'll retreat to consummate de marriage and den... den you'll go on your honeymoon to Aruba!"

Remy licked his lips. "Don' you or Tante have some sort of potion dat will make sure I can perform?" He really didn' want to disappoint Belle. She would probably proclaim she had lost her virginity to him even if nothing had happened, just to save his face, but he didn't want her to lie.

"I'd rather have you didn' resort to dat." Jean-Luc got to his feet and walked over to Remy, who rose from his chair as well. "I know you're nervous, every groom is, mais you'll feel betta after de ceremony when you're 'lone wit' Belle. She'll guide you through it, dat's our way."

Remy fell into step beside Jean-Luc as they headed for the dinning room where Mattie was serving diner. Jean-Luc's words hadn't taken away his worries, but he felt relieved, having someone to talk to about his most private fears. I'll jus' have to put my trust in Belle... she'll guide me t'rough it...

*

Remy felt uncomfortable wearing a black tuxedo, but Jean-Luc had insisted he dress up for the wedding. He pushed one finger between his collar and his throat, trying to ease the stiff fabric a bit so he could breathe more easily. It's a good t'ing I control my kinetic charges now or I'd have blown somet'in' up by now!

Learning how to control his kinetic energy had been trying, but Jean-Luc had succeeded in teaching him control. He smiled, thinking back to the days when his power had just manifested. Jean-Luc had forced him to charge cards in the morning and evening, exhausting him until he was near collapse. Feeling empty and drained, he would warn Jean-Luc whenever he felt the power building again and day after day they had repeated that procedure until he finally managed to only release his kinetic energy when he wanted to. He still used the cards, finding them perfect to charge and throw at possible enemies.

"Remy? What are you thinkin' 'bout?" Jean-Luc walked his son down the aisle.

Remy smiled. "'Bout you teachin' me how to control my chargin' power. Did I ever say t'ank you?"

"A million times, Remy," Jean-Luc said, grinning. "You'd betta concentrate on Belle though."

"Oui, you're right, of course." Remy swallowed hard, reaching the symbolic circle Mattie had drawn on the floor. Jean-Luc stepped away from him, leaving him alone. Looking down the aisle, he waited for Belle to join him.

When she finally appeared, his mouth went dry and shivers traveled down his spine. She had grown even more beautiful in the three years during which he hadn't seen her. Her white gown was made of satin and embroidered with hundreds of pearls. A silk veil hid her face from view, but she was reaching out telepathically and he answered that call. You're très jolie, Belle.

Merci, chèr, you're lookin' handsome yourself. Belle smiled as Marius let go of her hand and she stepped into the circle as well, studying Remy closely, liking what she saw.

Remy barely heard Mattie's welcome, too focused on Belle.Do you still wanna marry me? It ain' too late to say non.

Remy, I still want you. Nothin' changed. Belle extended her hand and Remy curled his fingers around hers. The touch was electric and she grinned behind her veil, looking forward to being alone with Remy later.

"Remy! De vow!" Mattie repressed her grin, seeing them this absorbed in each other. She sensed the telepathic conversation, but wasn't privy it.

Remy startled and looked at Mattie. Oui, de vow... Mon Dieu, it's my turn!

Belle giggled privately, sensing his nervousness.

"Bella Donna Boudreaux, I promise to love and honor you and to be fait'ful to you. I'll lay my life down to save yours... Je t'aime, chère." Sorry for de lame vow, Belle, mais I ain' good wit' words.

It's very romantic, Remy, Belle reassured him and watched as Tante tied a silk scarf around their hands, binding them together. Mattie continued to wrap the fabric around their wrists as well and Belle knew it was time for her vow.

"Remy LeBeau, I promise to be a good wife, to love and support you. I love you and accept you as my husband for de period of five years." It was the maximum time span allowed among thieves and assassins. In five years they would either repeat their vows or go their separate ways. It was the way of the Guilds.

Mattie nodded her head and gave them her blessing. Tightening the scarf around their wrists, she said, "Belle, you may kiss Remy now."

Belle pushed her veil aside and smiled at him. Remy fought his blush as Belle leaned in closer to brush his lips. According to their custom, the man was the passive one, allowing his wife to take the initiative and control their lovemaking. "Je t'aime, Belle."

"Je t'aime, Remy."

"De hand-fastin' is complete. Let it be known dat Remy and Belle are now husband and wife," Mattie proclaimed proudly and unwrapped the scarf, releasing them.

"Non, stop! I won' allow dis!"

The anger in those words was palpable and Remy recognized the voice at once. "Julien..."

Belle turned to face her brother, her eyes seething with rage as well. "How dare you ruin' de best day of my life!"

Julien had fought his way through the crowd and was now standing in front of Remy. Clutching his glove, he cracked it across the thief's face. "I challenge you to de deat'! You ain' good enough for my sister and you know it! I can' stand by and let her ruin her life!"

"Julien..." Marius' tone shook with warning.

"It's too late! De challenge has been issued," Jean-Luc whispered into Marius' ear. Julien had surprised him as well.

Marius' eyes became sad. Only a moment ago his heart had sung with happiness for his daughter and now Julien was ruining everything. Why had he allowed Julien to attend the wedding? He knew Julien still hated Remy with a passion. "Julien will kill Remy. Mon fils is an assassin."

Jean-Luc wasn't so sure about that, knowing how inhumanly fast and agile Remy was. "Choice of weapons?"

Julien heard the question. "He can choose whatever he wants. I choose de sword."

And de tip is poisoned. It would take all his cunning to come out of this one alive. Mais dat means I have to kill him! Belle will never forgive me if I kill Julien!

Belle felt torn. She didn't want to have to chose between her brother and her husband. "Julien, please reconsider."

"Non, Belle, my mind's made up." Lowering his voice, he added, "De whore won' touch you!"

Remy flinched, knowing Julien intended those words for Belle's and his ears only. "Belle?"

"Fight him," Belle said calmly. "He's a fool for challengin' you to de deat'. I will mourn his passin', mais won' hold his deat' 'gainst you, chèr." She had made her choice.

"I choose de sword as well."

"Are you sure, Remy?" Jean-Luc hurried to Remy's side. "You're free to pick the weapon of your choice."

"I'm sure," Remy replied, confidently.

Remy's mask slipped into place and Jean-Luc hated seeing the cockiness that masked his son's real feelings. "Remy, you have to know I will be forced to banish you if you kill Julien. Marius will demand I punish you."

Remy's heart missed a beat, but the mask remained in place, the glare in his eyes hardening. Damn you, Julien. No matter what I do, I'll lose. If I don' accept your challenge I will lose Belle 'cause I didn' want to fight for her and if I kill you, I'll lose Jean-Luc, Mattie and mebbe Belle... "I accept de challenge," he said formally and stepped out of the circle to face his nemesis.

*

Jean-Luc, Marius, Mattie, Henri and Belle watched as Remy's sword targeted Julien's chest, breaking the skin and the poisoned tip buried itself deeply in the Assassin's flesh. The two men had been fighting for ten minutes now and Remy had gained the upper hand. Julien was definitely outclassed.

Julien collapsed and remained motionless. A dark stain was forming on the earth; he was bleeding.

Marius was the first to take action and hurried to his son's side, checking Julien's vital signs. They were incredibly weak and Julien would die from the injury that Remy had inflicted. Except if I can get him home in time and give him de Elixir. Calling his men, he ordered them to take Julien home and to tend to his needs. Turning toward Remy, he stared into draped alien eyes. "Julien will die."

Remy cringed. "I didn' want to kill him!"

"Jean-Luc, I demand you banish your son from N'awlins." Marius ignored Belle's soft pleas.

"Mais Julien issued de challenge himself! Remy didn' have a choice!" Belle's big eyes begged Marius to see things her ways. "Don' take Remy 'way from me!"

"It was his decision to accept de challenge... If Julien dies I'll hunt you down," he spat, his anger directed at Remy. "Jean-Luc, if you want de truce between T'ieves and Assassins to continue you'll banish your son within de hour!" Marius grabbed Belle's right arm and pulled her along as he headed for his home.

"Remy!" Belle tried to catch Remy's eyes and when she did, she gasped, seeing the pain there. Je t’aime, Remy!

"Remy, we need to talk." Jean-Luc steered Remy away from the crowd. "If I deny Marius, T'ieves and Assassins will start fightin' 'gain."

Remy perfected the mask he was wearing, not even showing Jean-Luc how he really felt. "So you're sendin' me 'way?"

"I don' have a choice, Remy." Jean-Luc couldn't believe this was happening. Only an hour ago everything had been perfect. "You remember de list of safe houses I made you memorize?" After Remy nodded, Jean-Luc continued. "Dey're yours. Use de money from de trust fund I put in your name. Contact Marcel, he'll give you all de information you need to access de money. Leave N'Awlins, I don' want Marius findin' you. He's mad as hell. Go to our safe house in Lafayette and stay there. I'll try to join you as quickly as possible. Let's pray Julien lives."

Remy moved mechanically, registering Jean-Luc's words, but barely understanding them. He had lost the only home and family he had ever had.

*

Listlessly, Remy sat on the couch in their Lafayette home. Jean-Luc had brought him here once or twice, but he had never expected to hide here one day. The moment Julien had issued his challenge his world had collapsed. No matter which decision he made, he had already lost the game. Now Jean-Luc had banished him from New Orleans and he was on his own again... like nine years ago...

Mais dere are differences, the rational part of his mind reminded him. You have more money dan you can ever spend and t'anks to Jean-Luc you own houses all over de planet. You don' have to prostitute yourself to stay 'live.

That much was true, but he still ached inside from the loss of his family. How was he going to cope on his own? And what about Belle? She was bound to him for five years... would she join him or stay in New Orleans? Would Marius give her a choice?

"Remy! I came as fast as I could!" Jean-Luc entered the room, disposed of his long coat and sat beside Remy on the couch.

Remy moved away from him and seeing Remy distance himself made him cringe. Mon Dieu! Remy was shutting him out! "I didn' wanna banish you, Remy, mais... I had to t'ink of de Guilds. We fought for so long and..."

"You don' have to explain yourself," Remy said, coldly. "I'll be out of your hair once I decided where to go."

"Oh, Remy!" Jean-Luc was trembling, realizing he was losing Remy. "Je t'aime, petit. Don' do dis to us!"

Remy laughed, embittered. "Non, you made your choice. You chose de Guilds over your adopted fils. Should have known you'd make dat decision." Den it wouldn' have hurt dat bad.

Jean-Luc's eyes were watering, but he fought the tears. "Remy, you're t'inkin' you can protect yourself from de pain by shuttin' me out. Don' you know it doesn' work dat way?"

Remy shrugged his shoulders. "It has to. I lost everyt'in' today."

"Remy, please, at least look me in de eyes when you're talkin' to me." Jean-Luc reached out, trying to rest his hand on top of Remy's, but the young man jerked away from him. "Mon fils..."

"Don' call me dat! You'd never banish Henri!" Remy jumped to his feet and began pacing the room. "What do I do now? How long will it take de Antiquary to realize dat I'm no longer under your protection? I ain' used to bein' 'lone and now I have to figure out how to deal wit' de loneliness!"

Jean-Luc acted at once, prompted by Remy's obvious panic. He walked over to his son and determinedly wrapped his arms around him. Remy tried to pull away, but Jean-Luc didn't let him. "Je t'aime, Remy. Nothin's changed."

"Everyt'in's changed." Remy stood motionless. "What do I do now?"

Jean-Luc guided Remy back to the couch. "Sit down, Remy." He didn't let go when they settled down on the couch. "You'll travel, ply your t'ievin' skills. We'll stay in contact and I'll talk some sense into Marius."

"What 'bout Belle? Will I ever see her 'gain?"

"I don' know, wish I knew de answer, mais don' count on it." Jean-Luc held Remy tight, rocking him slightly. "I'll ask Marcel to stay wit' you." He trusted Marcel; the middle-aged man had been with him for twenty years and had never let him down.

"Non, Marcel's place is at your side." Embarrassed that he had let go of his emotions, Remy wiped away his tears. "I can do dis on my own."

"Remy, I trust you, you know dat, mais..." Emotionally, you're in no condition to be 'lone.

"I'll jus' have to grow up a little faster," Remy said, trying to sound energetic. "I have to learn to fly on my own, poppa. You can' help me no more. You did a great job raisin' me. You and Tante bot'...and Henri. Mon Dieu, I'll miss Napoleon."

"Don' give up hope yet, Remy. Julien might improve. Marius is very secretive 'bout his condition. My guess is dat he's tryin' to feed Julien de Elixir."

"Dat makes sense." Jean-Luc had mentioned the Elixir a few times before and he knew how powerful it was. It might save Julien's life. "Do you t'ink I'll be allowed back if he recovers?"

"I don' know, Remy. I do hope so..." Jean-Luc released Remy from his embrace. "Stay close for a while?"

"Non." Remy shook his head. "I'd betta put some distance between Marius and me. Dere's no way of knowin' what de Assassins will do if Julien dies."

"Where will you be headin', mon fils?"

"Europe, mebbe."

"I don' like dis, Remy, don' like dis at all. You belong wit' me in N'awlins." Jean-Luc wondered how much longer he could fight his tears. He loved Remy like his own flesh and blood and they hadn't been separated for nine years. They had always been together. "I feel like I'm losin' you, petit."

Remy nodded his head. "I feel de same way, poppa. I don' wanna lose you eit'er." Cherishing Jean-Luc's closeness, he realized he would never feel this warm and protected again.

*

The sharp ring of the phone startled Remy into action and he answered the call, wondering who knew he was here except Jean-Luc. "Oui?"

"Remy? It's Belle! Mon Dieu, I can' believe Marius did dat to us!"

Remy swallowed hard, feeling miserable and guilty. "I'm sorry, Belle, didn' know what to do. I didn' have a choice. If I hadn' fought him I would have lost you."

Belle sighed. "Remy, Julien... he's in a bad way. Marius is keepin' everyone out of his study, mais I've heard screams... dey hardly sounded human."

"Do you t'ink Marius is tryin' to feed him de Elixir?"

"I hope not... Dere's no way of tellin' what drinkin' de Elixir would do to a dyin' man, mais enough of Julien. How are you copin', Remy? Did you 'ready leave N'Awlins?"

"I had to, Belle."

"Where are you now?"

"I can' tell you, Belle, I'm sorry, mais I promised Jean-Luc to keep my hidin' place a secret. Wish I could tell you, Belle, wish I could see you."

"Non, you're right... I understand... you ain' comin' back, are you?"

"I don' t'ink so, Belle. Mebbe if Julien recovers and Marius calms down I can return to N'Awlins, mais right now I can'."

"What are you gonna do, Remy?"

"I t'ink I'll do what you did; go to Europe and try to learn from our overseas brot'ers and sisters. I may be a master t'ief, mais I sure got a lot to learn. Don' worry 'bout me, Belle. I won' give up on you, mebbe we'll be toget'er soon. Mon Dieu, I hope so..."

"Chèr, be careful? Julien and Marius might send deir Assassins after you. Promise me to watch your back, Remy."

Remy gripped the armrest hard, burying his fingernails in the wood. "Means a lot to me dat you still care, chère."

"I'll always care," Belly vowed. "Remy, I've gotta go... I can hear Marius yellin'..."

"Take bon care of yourself, chère..."

"I will," Belle promised and then her voice was gone.

Remy stared at the phone in his hand and listened to the beeping, realizing Belle was gone. The phone dropped onto the table with a loud thud, but Remy didn't care. Just when he thought things couldn't get worse, they had. He had lost Belle as well.

*

Six months later, his heart still ached with longing. He had seen most of Europe, had traveled through Greece, Italy, Turkey, France and was now staying in London. He lived a life of luxury; his money enabled him to stay in the most expensive hotels and now he was heading for a manor house just outside London that belonged to the LeBeau's.

During the last half year he had been in constant contact with his family. Jean-Luc, Tante and Henri called him regularly and they had had long conversations over the phone. But Belle had never called him again and he didn't feel brave enough to call her, for fear Marius might answer the call.

Jean-Luc had told him that Marius had proclaimed Julien's death 48 hours after Remy had left New Orleans, but there were rumors that Julien wasn't dead at all; that the Elixir had made him into a zombie, the living dead. Hearing that, Remy had lost all hope of ever returning to New Orleans, Marius would never allow him back to New Orleans.

That also meant that he would never see Belle again. The last time Tante and he had talked, she had told him that Belle was doing well, taking over more and more of Marius' responsibilities and she was preparing herself to take over leadership of the Assassins' Guild very soon. Although he was happy she was doing this well, it made him feel even more alone.

Six months of loneliness were almost enough to drive an empath crazy. He had never realized just how much he had needed Jean-Luc and Mattie's love, but now that he couldn't have it, he felt empty and drained. There were days when he just wanted to lie down, go to sleep and never wake up again.

Driving up to the manor, he quickly scanned it, his eyes never missing anything out of the ordinary that could indicate he was in danger. The old manor house looked deserted and peaceful. Maybe he would find some peace of mind here.

After putting his Ferrari into park, he left the car and walked up to the house, carrying his duffle bag. The solicitor in London that represented the LeBeau’s had already handed him the key. After closing the front door behind him, he dropped the bag onto the floor and climbed the stairs in search of a bedroom.

It was beyond him why he was still trying to carry on, feeling as tired as he did. Suddenly, a loud noise attracted his attention. It came from the outside and within seconds he had uncovered and extended his bo staff, ready to fight off any Assassins.

Running downstairs, he slammed the front door open and halted in his tracks, taking in the scene in front of him. It was Belle, fighting off some horrible creatures, which he had never seen before. Belle, what are you doin' here? Why now, after six mont's of silence?

Reacting at once, he ran toward her, trying to take out several of the creatures that were attacking Belle. "Hold on!" Belle's eyes locked with his and her mind reached out to touch his, welcoming his presence.

The creatures moved in, using the fact that Belle was distracted to their advantage. Two sharp claws slowly penetrated her armor and buried themselves in her heart.

"NON!" Remy cried out in horror, seeing her go down. "NON, get 'way from her!" Using his kinetic power, he charged several cards and threw them at the creatures. They still didn't back down and he wanted to wipe the smug grin from their alien faces. Belle was slipping away from him; she was dying.

Crying out in pain, he released his empathy. The creatures seemed to shrink into themselves and backed away from them, leaving as quickly as they had appeared. Remy ran over to Belle's fallen body and kneeled at her side. Gently, he pushed his arms beneath her body and pulled her close to his chest. "Belle, you can' leave me now... you have to fight, chère!"

Belle's eyes opened and fastened on Remy's. "Mon coeur," she sighed the words, growing short of breath. "I wish I hadn' lead dem here."

"Who are dey?" Remy rocked her slowly, never letting go of her gaze.

"De Brood, be 'ware of dem, chèr." Belle managed to curl her fingers around Remy's. A soft smile appeared on her lips. "Remy, I wanted to tell you..."

"What, chère? Why come here?" Tears flowed down his face. "Why not stay in N'Awlins where you were safe?"

"Had to tell you... still love you... Je t'aime, Remy..." Her last breath carried his name to the wind, her eyes broke and her fingers slipped from his.

"Non, Belle, non, you can' leave me like dis... please, chère, please!" Rocking her in his arms, he sobbed, releasing his pain and loss. Just when he had thought things couldn't get worse, they had. Belle had died in his arms and he had been unable to save her.

"I'll return your body to N'Awlins, chère, I promise I'll take you home..." He couldn't personally escort her body back home, but his father would surely take care of the matter. Right now, he didn't want to think about handing over her body; right now he just want to hold and rock her.

Chapter Nine
Sinister

I no longer care. I just don' care what's goin' to happen to me. Life lost all meanin' after Belle died. Jean-Luc collected her body and personally escorted her back home. Alt'ough he had to leave shortly after arrivin', I could tell by the look in his eyes dat he didn’ want to leave. I miss havin' him close and I felt a similar loneliness in his mind. Jean-Luc wanted me close as well, mais it was his duty to take Belle back to N'Awlins, leavin' me alone 'gain.

Belle died in my arms four weeks ago and I still can' stop mournin' her deat'. I loved her and losin' her broke my heart. I guess I always hoped we would find a way to be toget'er again. I should have known I wouldn' be dat lucky.

How am I goin' to cope alone?

*

A violent explosion rocked the peaceful landscape and Remy tried to control the kinetic energy that was leaking into the cards through his fingertips. He had returned to the USA a few days ago and the first thing he had done was leave San Antonio. The kinetic energy was getting harder to control and he couldn't endanger people's lives.

For the last few days he had been living like a hermit, seeking refuge in the deserted countryside. Here, he couldn't hurt anyone and it became easier to accept that his powers were out of control. The more miserable he felt, the stronger the kinetic energy became and it needed a way out. He was getting desperate, wondering how much time he had until he blew himself up. The question was, did he want to continue living? He had lost everything and there was nothing left to fight for. Why not let the kinetic energy consume him, let it out and burn him up like a new-born star?

Looking at the crater he had just created, he realized that he couldn't survive much longer. He was already shaking with new energy and it would burn him to cinder if he didn't offer it a way out.

"Gambit?"

Remy's head jerked back, trying to focus on his visitor. Who the hell knew he was here in the first place? Not even Jean-Luc knew his whereabouts! Shaking, he managed to identify the man standing in front of him. "Grey Crow?"

Scalphunter nodded his head. Gambit only knew him by that alias. "Yeah, it's me. You look like shit, Gambit."

Remy shivered; it wouldn't be long until another crater would join the first. "Oui, feelin' sick, mon ami." He had worked with Grey Crow on a few occasions and the man had even watched his back when he had stolen some items for his boss, Sinister. He didn't know much about Sinister, only that the man paid well and the objects that Sinister wanted stolen presented a good challenge.

Scalphunter advanced on the thief, who was clutching the windowsill, trying to stay on his knees on the bed so he could throw a charged object outside. The first explosion hadn't surprised him. The last time he had seen Gambit the thief had seemed volatile at best. "What's going on?" He had to proceed carefully; Sinister would be howling mad if he failed to take the Cajun to the scientist's lab.

"You'd betta leave..." Remy's voice trembled and he reached for another card. The energy flowed into the card and he threw it. It exploded in mid-air, much too close to his shelter. "Out of control." He shouldn't give his weaknesses away, he vividly remembered that lesson from when he had been a hustler on the streets, but he was too far gone to pretend. The empathy and the charging power were draining him, leaving him unable to think rationally.

"I know someone who can help you." Scalphunter took in the thief's appearance. Gambit looked bad; his powers were consuming him.

Remy laughed bitterly. "No one can help me..." Mon Dieu, the energy was building again!

"I'm sure Sinister can help you, if you let him." Scalphunter made his move, offering Remy the bait. "You look like you're burning up inside, Gambit. Let Sinister check on you. He's a scientist and probably the only one who can help you."

"Never trusted your boss," Remy whispered. His fingertips burned and he grabbed the blanket that partly covered him.Releasing his kinetic energy, it flowed into the blanket. When he threw it outside, the explosion almost knocked his guest off his feet. "I don' want his help."

"Doesn't look like you've got a choice, Gambit." Scalphunter moved closer, offering Remy his hand. "Let's get you out of here."

Remy was confused; his empathy reflected his feelings over and over again, until he lost himself in them. He had just released a large quantity of energy and wouldn't need to charge anything for some time. "I ain' sure..." But Scalphunter had grabbed his wrist and was now pulling him to his feet. He swayed, but the other man caught him. You should let me die here... But a part of him was still fighting for survival. It was the same part that had kept him going when he had found Philippe's corpse after Hugo had raped him. His survival instincts were too strong and he accepted the other man's help.

The alien eyes closed and Scalphunter dragged Gambit over to his jeep, sat him down in the passenger's seat and buckled the Cajun up. That last release had exhausted Gambit, who was now asleep. However, the Cajun's fingertips were still glowing and he kept his distance, quickly keying the ignition. Sinister would be pleased that he had successfully accomplished his mission!

*

"Finally." Sinister grinned. "After all these years he's finally in my laboratory." Circling his prey, he wished the red on black eyes would open, but they stayed closed. "Remy LeBeau," he whispered the name, tasting it. "Gambit." That was the name Remy had gone by this last year and the thief was going to give him what he wanted willingly.

The first thing he had done after Remy had arrived at his lab was to put a Genoshan collar on him. He wanted Remy stable and controllable before operating on him. The empathy had gotten too strong to control and he had to neutralize Remy's powers for now. "You're much stronger than I ever thought you would be. Too strong..."

Remy's eyelids fluttered and he opened his eyes. The heavy weight of the collar and the strange surroundings caused him to panic and he tried to sit upright. His head was reeling and he felt weak and dizzy. Finally, he realized that he wasn't alone and at the same time he began clawing the collar, trying to remove it.

"Don't," Sinister advised. "Your powers are out of control. The collar is the only thing that is keeping you from burning up."

Startled, Remy stared at Sinister. He had seen Grey Crow's boss from a distance once, but had never met him one on one. "I don' care. Remove it!"

"No," Sinister said firmly. "I want you alive." Alive and well.

"Why?" Shivers ran down his spine, looking Sinister in the eyes. The man towered over him and radiated a sense of total control that frightened him.

"I can help you, but it involves brain surgery. I'll have to remove some cells from your brain stem. After I do that your powers should be controllable." Naked fear and dread stared back at him from Remy's eyes. The mutant was terrified. Good, he would use that fear to his advantage. "You're a fighter, a survivor, you don't want to die. Think about the grief you will cause your family when you die. They'll be so shocked to hear about your death. You don't want to put them through that, do you?"

Remy shook his head. He was tired, dizzy and Sinister's words made sense. "Why? Why help me?"

"I can always use a Guild master thief, Gambit. You'll be my thief." That was only part of the whole truth. "Work for me, steal for me and I'll give you back control over your powers." Patiently, Sinister waited for Remy's decision.

His heart was beating wildly and he was damned scared that he was making the worst mistake of his life, but Sinister was right. He was a survivor, a fighter and he didn't want Jean-Luc to collect his son's dead body after he had had to take Belle home. "I'll work for you."

"Excellent!" Sinister grinned. "Now I must leave you and prepare for surgery." Taking hold of a syringe, he placed the tip against Remy's skin and pressed the needle beneath the flesh. Seeing Remy's panicked expression, he explained. "It's a sedative and it will help you calm down. Hopefully I can operate on you within the hour." He watched Remy's pupils dilate; the drug was already working its way through Remy's system. "Don't fight it."

But Remy was fighting it, suddenly afraid that he had sold his soul. He didn't know where the fear was coming from, but his whole being urged him to get away from Sinister. Maybe it was the eyes... Red eyes, so much like his own. "Who... are... you?" he stuttered the words while dozing off.

Sinister laughed softly, turned away from his patient and left to prepare for the surgery.

*

An hour later, Sinister returned as promised. The sedative was still keeping Remy immobile, but he managed to open his eyes. Remy flinched, as Sinister's gaze met his and he closed his eyes again. Sinister's red eyes distressed him.

"We can proceed," Sinister announced and walked up to the head of the exam table Remy was lying on. He pushed the exam table toward the doorway, actually looking forward to performing brain surgery after such a long time!

Remy was terrified and wished he could still cry out, but he had lost the ability to produce sounds, let alone words. Paralyzed, he could merely wait as Sinister placed him on the operating table. Warm lights made his skin tingle and he kept his eyes pinched shut.

"Breathe in deeply," Sinister ordered, placing an oxygen mask over Remy's mouth and nose.

Remy obeyed, not having a choice in the matter. He flinched violently as another needle buried itself beneath his skin. The room began to spin and he felt nauseous. Darkness descended on to him and he lost consciousness.

*

His mouth tasted like cotton and swallowing hurt too badly. His head felt heavy and he barely had the strength to move at all, so he tried to remain motionless. What had happened? What was the last thing he remembered?

Sinister... Sinister had performed brain surgery on him! The weight around his neck was gone; did that mean Sinister had finally removed the Genoshan collar? He raised his right hand to determine whether the collar was really gone or still there. Touching his throat, he realized it was gone indeed.

"Gambit, open your eyes. Look at me!"

The loud voice made him cringe and a terrible migraine was building behind his temples.

"Gambit, I know that you're awake and that you can hear me. I need you to open your eyes now!" Sinister was getting worried. Although the surgery had gone according to plan, brain surgery was always risky.

After struggling with his eyelids for a few seconds, Remy managed to half open his eyes. Sinister was hovering above him, checking on IV's and the monitors he was hooked up to.

"Do you remember my name?" Sinister wanted to make sure Remy hadn't suffered any brain damage.

"Si...nis...ter." Whispering the answer took most of Remy's strength and his eyes began to close again.

"Good. What's your name? Answer me!" Remy was falling asleep again and the latest CAT scans indicated that his patient's brain activity was normal.

"Re... my..." Totally exhausted, Remy fell asleep again.

Sinister nodded his head. The surgery had been successful. Remy's strength had been reduced and hopefully the thief's powers would stay that way. But he couldn't dismiss the possibility that they would grow strong again one day. Should that happen, he might have to resort to more drastic measures, but he was content for now. By taking away cells from the brain stem he had obtained a large source of DNA to experiment with. After nineteen years he could finally conduct his tests and if he ever ran out of DNA material again, he would know where to find Remy LeBeau. He would keep an eye on Remy for the rest of his life.

*

The next time Remy woke up, he felt less dizzy. To his embarrassment he discovered that he was hooked up to a catheter, as well as the IV's. He was obviously confined to bed and had to wait for Sinister to make another appearance.

Running a hand through his hair, he froze. His fingertips probed his scalp and found minor scars from the surgery. Sinister had shaved off some of his hair, leaving a bald spot at the back of his neck. He could easily disguise it by letting the top layer of his locks cover up the bald spot, but it felt weird, reminding him the surgery had really happened.

His eyes searched the white ceiling and then he took in the medical equipment he was hooked up. What was that IV feeding him? Was Sinister still administering a sedative to him? Was that why he felt queasy and confused?

Unexpectedly, the door opened and Sinister stepped inside. "Good, you're awake. We need to talk." He came to a halt at the foot end of Remy's bed and studied his patient. "You'll be bedridden for a few more days."

"What... are you... pumpin' into me?" Remy panted softly after finishing his question. He couldn't believe how weak he felt!

"A strong sedative. I don't want you trying to get to your feet and walking about. You need rest and this way I can make sure you'll stay in bed. I can take you off the medication in a few days." Remy was recovering slowly, as was to be expected after having had major surgery.

"De collar... is gone... It worked?" It frustrated Remy that speaking cost him this much energy. He wanted to hide his weakness, but lacked the strength to do that.

"Yes, it worked." Sinister indulged himself and fingered a lock of soft hair. "You'd better rest now. Once you're back on your feet I want you to steal certain items for me."

Remy weakly nodded his head. Oui, Sinister had made it a condition that he work for the scientist in order to pay him back for his help. Closing his eyes, he listened to Sinister's retreating footsteps. He was tempted to rip the IV's from his arm, but doubted Sinister would let him get away with it. Sinister would probably restrain him if he pulled such a stunt. Non, it was better to cooperate.

Now that he had decided not to fight Sinister for the time being, he released a strangled sigh and allowed himself to fall asleep again.

*

"Here, I brought you something to eat." Sinister handed Remy a bowl filled with soup. "How do you feel today?" Forty-eight hours after surgery Remy was still shaky and even running a slight fever.

Remy's hands shook as he tried to wrap his fingers around the bowl. Merde, he was going to spill it all over the bed! His hands dropped back onto the bed, unable to take hold of the bowl.

Seeing that his patient was still unable to feed himself, Sinister placed the bowl at Remy's lips and encouraged him to swallow some tomato soup. "You need the nutrients and fluids," he reminded the thief. He might have to insert a feeding tube if Remy was unable to keep the soup down.

Remy blushed, feeling utterly embarrassed that Sinister had to feed him. When he had been a kid it had been hard to accept Jean-Luc's help, but he had managed to grow comfortable with the idea that Jean-Luc was taking care of him because the man loved him, but Sinister... the scientist gave him the creeps.

Remy managed to empty the bowl and had to admit he enjoyed the soup, was even hoping there was more. "When can I leave my bed?"

"Patience," Sinister chided him. "You can't even feed yourself; that should tell you something, and you're running a fever, which you didn't have before." There was even a possibility of infection.

"Why are you doin' dis?" Why was Sinister feeding him personally? From what Grey Crow had told him Sinister was powerful and surely had people working for him that could tend to his needs.

"I have a special interest in you... I want you alive and well." Sinister considered how much to tell Remy.

Remy tried to swallow past the lump in his throat. "Why?"

Sinister decided to distract his nosey patient. "Here's a list of objects that I want you to obtain for me after you healed." He placed the sheet of paper on Remy's chest so the thief could study it.

"Dat's mostly medical equipment... a high-tech laser... I can get dose t'ings for you." Thankful for the distraction, he tried to lock out Sinister's presence, but failed. At times, he felt the scientist's mind too close to his own; the man most certainly possessed telepathic abilities and he tried to guard his own thoughts well.

Sinister carefully plotted his next move, knowing Gambit was his for the moment, but the time would come when the thief would try to get away from him. He could worry about that later.

*

Remy cringed from embarrassment when Sinister removed the catheter from his penis. Although Sinister's touches were clinical and bereft of emotion, he couldn't help but flash back to the time when he had been living on the streets. Stop it! Sinister doesn' know you were a whore once! But that thought didn't reassure him.

Finally, the offending catheter was gone and he quickly pulled the sheet back in place. Sinister could have given him a medical gown at least! But no, he was butt naked!

"Maybe I'll let you leave your bed tomorrow," Sinister announced, while studying the results from a brain scan he had run on Remy. "How are you feeling?"

Remy considered lying, but the monitors would tell the scientist the truth. "Weak, mais betta. Can' I try walkin' today?"

"No," Sinister replied firmly. "You'll rest another 24 hours."

Sinister puzzled him. From the things Grey Crow had told him, he had gathered that Sinister was ruthless and incapable of emotion and yet the scientist was almost fussing over him! Why, why me? Why fuss over me?

"Try to sleep some more," Sinister advised. Remy had just eaten breakfast and now that the nausea was gone, the young man was keeping everything down.

Remy shivered as Sinister's cold hands smoothed back his locks to check on the scars, which the surgery had left behind.

"The infection seems gone. The antibiotics are working." Pleased, Sinister brushed the locks back over the bald spot and checked Remy's eyes. They were lucid and clear. "I'll be back in a few hours to bring you lunch, but for now I want you to sleep."

Remy closed his eyes, eager to appear cooperative, knowing Sinister would inject some sleeping meds into the IV port if he objected. Listening to the retreating footsteps, he sighed, releasing some of the tension that had been building during Sinister's visit. He just didn't trust the scientist. He surrendered to a peaceful sleep, letting his mending body rest.

*

Remy was excited; Sinister was finally allowing him to leave the bed! He didn't know where to go, as he was unfamiliar with the layout of Sinister's lab, but just being on his feet seemed like heaven! He was standing at the side of his bed, feet planted firmly on the floor as he tried his first steps. Mon Dieu, he felt as weak as a new born. He swayed and would have fallen, if it hadn't been for Sinister, who caught him.

Embarrassed, he averted his eyes. Sinister's hold was tight and told him that the scientist didn't plan on releasing him.

"Just a few steps. Don't overestimate your strength, Gambit." Sinister helped Remy to cover the distance to the chair in the corner of the room and assisted him as the young man sat down.

Remy was panting softly, terrified at how weak he really was. He wouldn't be able to walk unaided for another few days. Again, it surprised him that Sinister was taking care of him personally. The scientist seemed worried, seemed to care, but that was an illusion. Sinister wasn't capable of feelings any longer. Briefly, he was tempted to reach out empathically, but Sinister would immediately detect the attempt to probe his mind, so he abandoned the idea.

"Can I sit here a li'l longer?" Remy didn't want to return to his bed.

Sinister nodded his head. "I'll leave you for a short time and then I'll help you back to your bed. You're still recovering from surgery."

Remy rested his head against the soft fabric of the chair and closed his eyes. "Merci." He sighed relieved after Sinister had left the room. The scientist's presence made him uncomfortable and he was always relieved to be alone again.

What did I get myself into dis time? Oui, I can control my powers 'gain, mais now I owe him. I can steal de t'ings on dat list, mais will it stop after dat? What if he'll never let me go? Sinister had a terrible hold over him.

*

"I brought you some clothes. Your armor is in the suitcase under the bed, as well as your other personal belongings, which Scalphunter found when he searched your shelter." Sinister placed underwear, jeans, shirt, sweater and socks on the side of Remy's bed.

"Scalphunter?" Remy searched his memory. "I don' know anyone by dat name."

"Grey Crow..." Sinister felt pleased today. The first experiments he had performed on Remy's DNA were coming along nicely and he could finally continue manipulating the gene pool.

Remy stared at the clothes, determined to wait for Sinister to leave before changing into them. "What's gonna happen next?" Sinister was in control right now and calling the shots. He didn't mind stealing for Sinister, feeling terribly relieved that the scientist wasn't forcing him to perform any sexual favors. The reason why Sinister was taking care of him still eluded him, but the man obviously didn't want his ass, which had been his greatest fear.

"You'll stay here until you're able to return to your normal routine. I suggest you start working out in the gymnasium downstairs. Certain sections are off limits to you. I asked Scalphunter to show you around and he'll join you for the workouts. Within the week you should be able to venture out for the first time. Again, Scalphunter will accompany you outside."

I'm his prisoner... he's keepin' me on a leash and Scalphunter will be watchin' every move I make. I should never have agreed to let him operate on me. I'd rat'er be dead dan his possession. But it was too late now. He had made his decision and he had said yes to this deal. I'll steal everyt'in' on dat list and den I'm outta here.

*

The next few days were hard on him. He started to work out, finding that he was quickly running out of breath, but after a week he was ready to go outside and prepare for his first mission, just as Sinister had promised. Scalphunter was constantly at his side and he was beginning to loathe the man, seeing a sadistic side to him he had never witnessed before.

The first theft had gone smoothly and Sinister had praised him. Remy crossed the first thing off of his list and worked methodically until he had reached the last item, the high-tech laser. He had needed Scalphunter to watch his back on that one, but he managed to pull it off and presented the laser to Sinister, who was almost purring with pleasure. "Dat's de last t'ing on your list."

"Very true," Sinister acknowledged. Now it was time to bait Remy again, offering the thief the one thing he couldn't decline. "I want you to perform one last service for me."

Remy shook his head. "Non, we had a deal and I lived up to my part of de bargain. I'm outta here." Playing with his cards, ready to charge them in case Sinister tried blocking his path, he moved toward the doorway. He hated the fact that Sinister always wanted to meet in a church; each time he was reminded of the fact that he didn't belong here, that people on the streets had called him the devil's son or Le Diable Blanc.

"One last assignment," Sinister whispered from the shadows. "I know your price."

Remy halted in his tracks. "What are you talkin’ about?"

"Do this for me and I'll tell you about your parents... I'll tell you about your mother, about the man that stole you from the hospital when you were only one hour old... I know everything. You want to know the truth, don't you, Gambit?" Sinister grinned, while playing his trump. Remy turned around and looked him in the eyes. "It's the truth, Gambit. I know who you really are. Don't you want to know? Yes, you're dying to know the truth."

Remy knew Sinister was playing him, but... "You really know what happened?"

"Yes, I do and I will tell you." Sinister's red eyes flashed dangerously in the shadows. "One more assignment and you'll know the truth."

"What do you want me to do?" He hated the fact that his voice was trembling, but he couldn't hide his desire to know the truth, he was desperate to know his parents.

"Here's a list." Sinister handed Remy a sheet of paper. "I want you to gather these men and lead the Marauders into the Morlock tunnels."

Remy sucked in his breath. He had heard about the Morlocks. "What do you want from dem?" Studying the names on the paper, he flinched. Dey’re killers... Sabretoot's probably de worst!

"I need their DNA for my experiments," Sinister lied. "You'll capture certain individuals and take them to my laboratory. I'll release them again after I’ve completed my tests."

Mais if dat's de trut' why do you need dese killers? A sinking sensation in his stomach told him to decline, but his need to know the truth about his parents was stronger. "Nobody will be hurt?"

Sinister shook his head, lying again. He wanted to eradicate the Morlocks, wipe them off the face of the Earth.

Remy wasn't sure what to do and flipped a card... The ace of spades... a bad omen. "I'll do it. Now tell me 'bout my parents!"

"Oh no," Sinister whispered. "I'll tell you after you completed the mission."

Goosebumps formed on Remy's skin, but he was in no position to argue. Turning his back on Sinister, he left the church to gather the Marauders.

*

Creed gave him the creeps. The man was stalking behind him, never letting him out of sight as he led the Marauders through the Morlocks' tunnels.

"Ya know yer way around, boy," Creed sneered, enjoying smelling the fear on the thief. He had been present when Sinister had briefed Gambit, but the thief didn't know that Sinister had given him a different set of instructions and he was looking forward to finally starting the slaughter.

"I came to New York a few weeks ago and befriended de Morlocks. Dey trust me." Remy's voice was a mere whisper and yet still it carried through the tunnels. He loathed himself for doing this to the Morlocks. As far as he could tell the Morlocks were a peaceful people, scared of being killed the moment they ventured onto the surface.

Creed laughed, amused. "They trust you? Dumb fools."

The words stung. "Keep dose claws to yourself, Creed. Sinister wants dem alive for his experiments. Nobody will be harmed!" He was in charge of this operation and he had better use that to his advantage.

Creed's eyes danced with mirth, letting Gambit believe he was in charge.

"We're approachin' de main hall. Dis is where dey gather at night." Remy sneaked through the darkness; his eyes providing him with excellent night vision. Looking over his shoulder, he stared at the Marauders... the killers. "Remember, Sinister wants dem alive!" His self-hatred was growing and he almost felt nauseous, now that he was betraying the Morlocks who trusted him.

Creed sniffed the air. "They're close all right." It was time to assume command. "Scalphunter, grab the boy and make sure he doesn't get in our way."

Remy stared at Creed in disbelief. "What?" Suddenly Scalphunter's arms folded around him, immobilizing him.

Scalphunter placed a gun against Gambit's temple, tightening his hold on the thief. "Try anything and you're dead."

Remy's eyes had grown big, trying to understand what was happening. "What are you doin', Creed?"

"Sinister gave me different instructions, Cajun. You led the lambs to the slaughter..." Creed purred, taking in his preys' scents and moved forward. "Sinister wants them dead!" The Marauders followed Creed as he flung himself at the crowd. The shocked Morlocks were utterly defenseless and went down one by one.

Horrified, Remy stared at Creed and the Marauders, who were slitting throats and slaughtering the Morlocks. "Lemme go!" Helplessly, he tried to shake off Scalphunter, but the other man held on tight. "I've got to help dem!"

Scalphunter understood perfectly. "You're staying here. Sinister wants them dead and you're not crossing him." If he let Remy go, the Cajun would fight the Marauders, try to stop them. "Sinister knew you wouldn't go along with the killing, so he didn't tell you, let you believe he just wanted them for their DNA. He hates these degenerated creatures and wants them terminated. They're weak and contaminating his gene pool."

The cries of the dying Morlocks echoed in his ears and their pain was getting harder to block. "Spare de chil'ren! Don' kill de bébés! Dey're innocents!" He hardly noticed the tears that were flowing down his cheeks as their pain mingled with his. Unable to stay on his feet any longer, he went down on to his knees, swaying dangerously.

Scalphunter didn't expect Gambit to collapse and lost his hold on the Cajun. A glowing card exploded in front of his face, blinding him. A series of punches delivered to his mid-section knocked him off his feet and he was unable to stop Gambit as the thief ran toward the dying Morlocks to protect them.

"Creed, leave dem 'lone! You fuckin' bastard!" Remy extended his bo staff and it impacted with Creed's skull, hard and unyielding. Delivering another blow to Creed's head, Remy moved out of reach of the lethal claws. "Stop it! Marauders, listen to me, stop!" But no one listened and the slaughter continued.

Tears were now running freely down his face, blurring his vision as the Morlocks' pain and terror battered down his defenses. The dark stench of death invaded his mind and he froze, sharing the pain of their deaths and horror. A terrible pain swept through him as Creed's claws buried themselves in his chest. Blood flowed from the wounds and he collapsed, almost losing consciousness in the process, but the Morlocks' misery was keeping him conscious, forcing him to share their pain.

"Yer damn lucky Sinister wants ya alive, boy," Creed sneered, licking Remy's blood from his claws. "Enjoy the rest of the show!"

Remy was fighting for his breath, as the pressure on his chest increased. All around him Morlocks were dying and there was nothing he could do to stop the massacre! This was his fault! He had led the Marauders here when his instincts had warned him against it!

A soft moan coming from his right alerted him and he managed to roll onto his side to check on the source of the sound. He stared into a girl's eyes, bones sticking out her body. The poor child was paralyzed with fear, staring at the corpse that had fallen on top of her.

I have to help her... Summoning his last strength, he managed to crawl toward her. Using his empathy to reassure her, he extended his hand, which she accepted. Seeing that Creed and the Marauders were busy slaughtering the remaining Morlocks, he pulled the girl to him and nearly fainted from the pain that radiated through his chest.

"Hold on," he whispered, hoping the girl knew he was trying to help her. Carrying her, he headed for one of the tunnels that would take them to the surface. "Don' let go, petite." He could literally see the light at the end of the tunnel; they were so close to the surface! Staggering, he managed a few more steps, before collapsing again. "You have to run, petite, make it to safety." But the girl was clinging to him. "Go, petite. I can' go any furt'er."

"Where do ya think yer going, Cajun?"

Creed! "Get movin', petite!" Remy pried her hands loose from his clothes and pushed her toward the exit. She finally seemed to understand and started running. "Bien... at least I saved one..." He screamed his pain when the claws slashed open his back. Creed turned him onto his back, straddling his hips. There was nothing remotely human left in the madman's face and Remy hoped Creed would end it quickly. He deserved to die for what he had done to the Morlocks!

"They're all dead now," Creed purred, while running a claw down Remy's face. "You did a great job, boy."

Remy was paralyzed and unable to respond. Jus' end it!

"Creed, back off!"

Remy recognized the voice at once. Sinister! The scientist revealed himself, leaving the shadows behind him. Staring into the burning red eyes, Remy shivered uncontrollably. Sinister had set him up! Had manipulated him! How he hated the man!

Creed growled. "I wanna finish him off!"

"No, leave us, Creed! Join the Marauders... now!" Sinister's voice took on a dangerous tone. "Don't challenge me!"

Creed slowly backed off, got to his feet and glared at Sinister. "You'd betta finish him off, or I will the next time I meet the rat."

Turning his back on them, he marched down the tunnel to join the others.

"Why?" Remy's body still refused to move and he was grateful he could form the word. "Why?"

Sinister advanced on him and cocked his head. Looking down at the fallen man, he said, "I killed your mother after she gave birth to you. Her blood was still warm when I held you in my arms."

Non... non! Shocked, Remy stared at Sinister.You killed my mère? He could barely understand what Sinister had just revealed to him. You killed my mère? Unable to speak the words, he concentrated on his thoughts, knowing that Sinister could read his mind. Why? Why kill her? Tears were swimming in his eyes, but he refused to cry in Sinister's presence.

"I didn't need her anymore." Sinister's tone was cold and emotionless. "And then the damned thief stole you from the hospital! I only left you alone for five minutes!"

A horrible realization was making Remy nauseous again. Stole me? Non, you can' be sayin' what I t'ink you're sayin'!

"Yes, Jean-Luc LeBeau stole you from the hospital and delivered you into the Antiquary's hands. I studied your life extensively, but I never had the chance to get my hands on you."

Remy was shaking, being driven to the edge of what he could endure. Non, not Jean-Luc! He saved me!

"He never told you, did he?" Sinister grinned.

Non! Remy tried to hide behind his hair, but Sinister bend forward and swept the locks out of his face.

"But there's more..."

Non, don' wanna hear more! Leave me 'lone! Briefly, he wished his powers were strong enough to take Sinister down with him.

Sinister was about to speak again, but then strange voices drifted down the tunnel. "Normals... we'll have to continue this another time." He walked away from Remy, grinned and disappeared into the shadows again, not eager to be discovered. After gathering his Marauders, he would open a tesserect and take them to his lab where he would plot his next move. If only he had had time to tell Remy about his father!

*

"We found a live one! Pete, get the stretcher! The kid looks bad... is the ambulance already on its way?" Detective MacAfee kneeled and started to examine the wounded young man. "Hey, can you hear me? Do you know what happened?" He froze, staring into the red on black eyes, remembering looking into them before. Ten years ago he had worked on Bourbon Street in New Orleans and had run into a scared boy, who had had the very same alien eyes. Could this be the same boy?

"Don't be scared. An ambulance is already on its way to take you to the hospital. Everything's going to be fine, kid."

Dazedly, Remy returned the gaze, wondering why the man that was hovering above him seemed familiar. Too drained and too emotionally messed up, he gave in to exhaustion.

"It's okay, kid, just relax." MacAfee watched helplessly as the young man lost consciousness. This time he would stay close and make sure the boy didn't give him the slip again.

Chapter Ten
Lovers

He was slowly drifting back to the surface, clawing his way to consciousness. If it had been up to him he would have stayed in the darkness, but a voice was talking to him, urging him to open his eyes and look at him. Involuntarily, he obeyed and forced his eyes open.

"Hey, I knew you were awake. How are you doing, kid?" MacAfee smiled reassuringly and studied the alien eyes, which he remembered so clearly. He had seen them in his dreams after the boy had given him the slip. Later, he had been angry with himself for letting the boy get away.

Remy's lips moved but no sound left them. Blinking his eyes, he felt thankful for the dimmed light. Merde, he was hooked up to IV's and monitors again and the catheter was back. What had happened? Creed happened, his brain supplied. The mad man had slashed his chest open and had then buried his claws in his back. Only now, he realized his chest and back were bandaged and he was resting on his left side.

"The doctor is confident that you'll make a full recovery," MacAfee informed him.

Remy nodded his head weakly. He always survived, didn't he? Why couldn't he simply give up and die? He managed to focus on the brown eyes, once again wondering why the man looked familiar. Why did he feel like the man should be wearing a police uniform? Had he finally lost his sanity?

"My name's MacAfee, Dave MacAfee. I found you in that tunnel and you were more dead than alive. Can you tell me your name, kid?" During the last hour he had sat at the young man's bed, studying his features and he was sure that this young man and the boy he remembered were one and the same person. This was the boy who had run away before he could get him to the hospital.

His name? "Re...my," he whispered softly. His reply was barely audible and his eyes were closing again.

"It's okay, kid, go back to sleep. They're feeding you morphine against the pain. Whoever did this number on you must have been a raving lunatic." Dave MacAfee watched his charge fall asleep again and he was determined to track down the mad man who had cut the kid open like this. Thankfully, his captain had assigned him to Remy's case, but he needed more information if he wanted to solve it. For now, he decided to sit here and wait for Remy to wake up again.

*

An hour later, Remy startled awake. Pain slashed through his body and his eyes flashed open.

"Sorry, Remy, but I needed to check for infection. My name's Benjamin Jones and I'm your doctor. You needed stitches and now we have to look out for infection." Benjamin smiled, grateful that Dave had given him his patient's first name.

Dave MacAfee was in the room as well and exchanged a glance with Benjamin. "How long before he will be coherent again?"

"A few more days," Benjamin informed him. "I can't take him off the morphine yet."

Benjamin got to his feet and walked over to the bed. "Remy, I've got to return to the police station, but I'll be back when you feel better. Maybe then you can tell me what you remember of your attacker?"

Remy' eyes remained emotionless. His walls had never been higher or stronger, and he was determined to keep their concern out and his feelings suppressed. Sinister had finally pushed him over the edge by admitting he had killed his mother and then the other revelation... that one had shocked him even more. Jean-Luc had delivered him into the Antiquary's hands!

Depressed and listlessly, he averted his eyes and stared at the window. It was raining and the sun hid behind a blanket of dark clouds.

"Are you in pain? Remy, are you in pain?" Worried, Benjamin wondered about his patient's reaction. "Can you hear me?"

Remy refused to answer and closed his eyes. Listening closely he realized that his doctor was injecting something into the IV port, probably more morphine.

"I hope that takes care of the pain," Benjamin said, worried. "Go back to sleep, Remy."

This time he obeyed and let himself drift off into sleep.

*

He slept most of the time during the next three days. Sometimes he would wake briefly because Benjamin was changing the bandages, but then he would pretend to be asleep. He just didn't know how to deal with Sinister's revelations and fled into oblivion.

"Remy?" Benjamin was now growing truly worried about his patient. He had stopped administering the morphine and Remy should be responding by now. "Remy? You've got a visitor."

Startled, Remy's eyes fluttered open and focused on the doorway.Don' let it be Jean-Luc or Sinister... please, mon Dieu! But to his surprise it was Dave MacAfee who entered the room. The detective pulled up a chair and straddled it. Remy allowed himself a moment to take in the cop's appearance. Dave MacAfee was tall, almost 6 foot nine, muscular and had short blond hair, a brush cut. The brown eyes revealed concern, mixed in with curiosity.

"Hello, kid, hope you don't mind me dropping by, but Benjamin told me you were up for visitors. I need information if I want to catch the one who slashed you open." Dave noticed the tremors that washed over the young man's body. Benjamin had told him that Remy had been unresponsive and maybe he could jostle the young man enough to lure him into talking. "I wish you hadn't run away on Bourbon Street ten years ago. I really wanted to help you. I remembered your eyes when I found you in that tunnel."

Remy sucked in his breath. That was why the man seemed so familiar and now he recalled that the cop had introduced himself as MacAfee ten years ago.

"So you see, we go back a long time, you and me," Dave continued, trying to reassure the younger man. "What happened in that tunnel, Remy?"

Remy considered telling the detective what had happened, but realized he couldn't. The cop would never believe him and was in no position to go after Creed, who would kill MacAfee without giving him a second thought. "Don'... remember..."

Dave shook his head, indicating he didn't believe Remy. "I think you do, but for some reason you're too scared to tell me."

Remy averted his eyes, only to find Benjamin at his other side. Now that he was off the morphine, he studied the doctor. Benjamin Jones had blond hair that reached past his shoulders, wore glasses and had sparkling green eyes.

Benjamin used the silence to update his patient on his condition. "There are no signs of infection, Remy, and the wounds are healing nicely. You can go home in a few days."

Go home... I don' have a home... He would have to check into a hotel and lick his wounds there. He decided not to tell Dave anything about Creed, Sinister or the Marauders. Maybe some of the Morlocks had survived and he didn't want them discovered. De Morlocks... it's my fault dey're dead...

"Remy, you do have a place to stay, don't you?" Dave frowned; he had to admit that Remy's behavior worried him as well.

"I'll find one," Remy whispered, listlessly. Merde, he had to pee and the catheter was still in place. No way could he talk his doctor into letting him use the bathroom. Feeling embarrassed and ashamed, he relieved himself.

Benjamin and Dave exchanged a worried glance. "You can stay at our place," Dave said eventually.

That got Remy's attention. "Our?"

"Benjamin and I are lovers, life partners... or are you homophobic, kid?" Dave didn't know what to make of the look of stark fear that appeared in Remy's eyes. "What? Are you scared we're gonna abuse the situation? Don't worry, we won't touch you." It was obvious that Remy didn't know what to make of the fact that they were a gay couple.

"Merci, mais non... will check into un hôtel." He shuddered at the thought of staying with them.

Benjamin moved a little closer. "Why are you scared, Remy?" He had treated abuse victims before and Remy's reactions were alarmingly similar. Testing his theory, he rested a hand on Remy's naked arm. Remy flinched violently and Benjamin took that as a confirmation of his suspicions. "Remy, were you sexually abused?"

Dave gave Benjamin a startled look "Damn, Bourbon Street... you ended up prostituting yourself, didn't you?" His look shifted from Benjamin to Remy, reading the truth in the young man's eyes. "I'm sorry that I didn't try harder to find you, kid."

"The offer still stands," Benjamin said, firmly. "You'll need someone to look after you. You'll be confined to bed for at least another week. I'd really feel uncomfortable letting you go, knowing you'd have to check into a hotel with no one to take care of you."

Remy felt cornered and reacted on instinct, releasing part of his empathy to test their intentions.

"Wow," Benjamin whispered, impressed, feeling Remy touch his mind. "I never felt anything like it before. I heard about telepaths, but..."

"Ain' a telepat'..." Remy admitted. "I'm an empat'."

Dave smiled, feeling the gentle touch as well. "You're making sure we're being honest, huh?"

"Ain' readin' your minds," Remy assured them.

"It's okay," Dave reassured him. "So what are you picking up? Are we telling the truth?"

Oui, you're tellin' de trut'. He only felt concern and curiosity in their minds, no evil intentions. But he didn't know them, didn't trust them. Don' t'ink I'll ever be able to trust 'gain, not after learni' dat my poppa stole me... mais what if he hadn'? Den Sinister would have made my life miserable. Does it matter who hurt me; de Antiquary or Sinister? What's de difference?

"Why don't you think it over?" Dave got to his feet again; he had to return to the police station. "You can tell Benjamin what you decide. It's okay if you don't want to stay with us, but I think it would be the best thing for you right now. You don't strike me as someone who wants to be alone."

You don' know me at all. Feeling embittered and abandoned, Remy tried to shift in the bed to gain a more comfortable position, but waves of pain rolled through his chest and he froze.

"Without the morphine you'll feel the pain more clearly." Benjamin gestured Dave to leave the room and then tried to capture Remy's elusive gaze. "I don't know exactly what happened to you on Bourbon Street, but I know there are men out there who would abuse your situation. We're not like that, Remy. We aren't johns. Just consider our suggestion? We’ve got a guest room and you wouldn't have to climb any stairs, which would take its toll in your weakened condition. Just sleep on it, okay?"

Remy nodded once, uncertain why they were inviting him into their home. The only thing he could think of was that they wanted his ass, but when he had touched their minds, he hadn't felt any lust aimed at him. They just wanted to help, but why?

"Remy? Is there something you want to ask me?" Benjamin watched Remy struggle.

"Why? Why help me?" Sinister had hurt him so deeply that he couldn't trust any more. Dave and Benjamin had to have a secret agenda! Locking eyes with Benjamin, he once again felt real concern. The young doctor didn't have any hidden motives, didn't intend to hurt him.

Benjamin shrugged his shoulders. "You don't have a place to stay and Dave really wants to help you. I've known him for five years now and every now and then he dreams about the boy he couldn't help, the boy that he let slip away. I don't want him to feel guilty."

His empathy told him that every word was true and he didn't know what to do. Checking into an empty hotel room wasn't appealing either, but his fear was holding him back from accepting Benjamin and Dave's invitation and he appreciated that Benjamin didn't pressure him. The doctor left his room after urging him again to rest.

*

"So, did you make up your mind?" Dave was back to pick up Benjamin whose shift had ended. Expectantly, he looked Remy in the eyes. The fear that still lurked there made him cautious. "If you don't want to stay with us, we'll drive you to a nice hotel. It's up to you."

Remy had had two days to think everything over and Benjamin had discharged him a few minutes ago. He was wearing clothes, which he had borrowed from Benjamin. His own clothes had been covered in blood. "I ain' sure," he admitted softly. "I wanna accept your invitation, mais..."

"We won't hurt you," Benjamin assured him again. He hoped that Remy would say yes. This was an incredible opportunity for Remy to grow, to learn that he didn't have to fear gay people. He damned the men to hell who had abused Remy in the past. If only he could show Remy that he didn't have to be afraid!

Remy knew he had lost the inner struggle when he involuntarily nodded his head. "Oui, I'm acceptin' your invitation." He couldn't believe he had said yes. It was another impulsive decision that would get him into trouble. One bad decision followed another in his life. The only good decision he had ever made was trusting Jean-Luc and even his father had hurt him by banishing him from New Orleans. He was only setting himself up for more heartache.

"You won't regret saying yes, Remy." It must have been hard for Remy to accept the invitation. Benjamin looked at Dave and hoped they could heal a little bit of Remy's hurt.

*

"This is it," Dave announced. He had folded an arm around Remy's waist and guided him to the guest room, which was small, but cozy. "You can stay as long as you want to." He led Remy inside and after piling some pillows, he helped his guest lie down. Remy's eyes were closing; the short trip from the hospital to the apartment had drained him. "Why don't you take a short nap and I'll wake you once dinner is ready?"

"Sounds bien," Remy whispered sleepily. In the back of his mind a child's voice was screaming at him, telling him to get away from Dave and Benjamin as quickly possible. They couldn't be any better than the johns who had paid him for sexual favors. Those johns had liked boys, had fucked Philippe who had only been a few years older. He felt like he was still in danger, like the danger had never left.

His thoughts raced in circles until finally he fell asleep.

*

"How's Remy doing?" Benjamin was preparing dinner when Dave joined him in the kitchen. Turning around, he wrapped his arms around his life partner and pulled him close for a passionate kiss. "We actually scare him..."

"What did he tell you?" Dave released Benjamin and peeled the potatoes.

"Not much, but from what I gathered he was abused at a very young age." Benjamin got the steaks from the fridge and a frown appeared on his brow. "I once walked in on him when he was having a nightmare. He was fighting off someone called Hugo. Remy was struggling with the blankets, entangling himself and begging this Huge not to touch him. That's all I know."

"You think he was raped?" Dave got out the utensils and plates and set the table for three.

Benjamin nodded once. "And if that's the case it's understandable that he's afraid. We prefer men and he was assaulted by a man... we've got to be careful, love."

"He's asleep right now..." Dave sat down at the table and chewed on a breadstick. "What do we do now he's here?"

"Act normally and do the things we always do. Maybe if he realizes we're not a threat he'll feel more comfortable."

"Did you see his medical records?" Dave knew Benjamin wouldn't tell him any details, but he had to ask.

"No," Benjamin said thoughtfully. "Remy never told us his last name... did you have more luck?"

"Nothing, it's like he doesn't exist. I even ran a check on his fingerprints, but nothing came up."

"So we have to find out his last name. Damn, I really want those medical records. What if there's more?" Benjamin placed the boiled potatoes, steak and greens on the table. "You'd better wake Remy. Dinner is ready."

Dave rose from his chair and walked over to the guest room, finding Remy already awake. "Hi there, I hope you're hungry. Ben made enough food to feed a starving family."

Remy managed to push himself into a sitting position .When he had woken up he had been terribly confused, briefly fearing he was back in Sinister's lab. Then he had seen the books, CD's and plants in the room, remembering he was staying with Dave and Benjamin.

"Dinner is served. Come on, we don't want the food to grow cold." Dave was tempted to pull Remy to his feet, but refrained from doing so. He wasn't sure Remy would welcome his help.

"Mais oui, I'm comin'..." Remy pushed himself to his feet and swayed. Leaning against the wall for support he waited until the dizzy spell was over. Following Dave, he slowly made his way into the kitchen where he sat down at the dinner table. "Smells bon," he complimented them.

"Hope you're hungry, Remy." Benjamin placed a full plate in front of his guest. "Bon appetite."

Remy kept one arm wrapped around his chest, trying to ignore the pain. He even managed a few bites, before the pain became worse and made him drop his fork because he was shaking so badly.

"Remy, what's wrong?" Benjamin rose from his chair and walked over to Remy. Seeing the cold sweat on the young man's brow, he grew worried. The last time he had checked on the wounds they had been free of infection. "You have been too much on your feet today and the pain is back, isn't it?"

Remy managed a weak nod. All he wanted was to lie down and sleep.

"I'll give you something against the pain." Benjamin walked out of the kitchen and returned carrying a vial filled with white pills. "Take two of them." He placed the glass of water in Remy's hand and watched him swallow the painkillers. "Try to eat a little more? Otherwise you'll never regain your strength."

Remy ate another few bites, but then stopped. His stomach was protesting. "Sorry, mais can I lie down...?"

Dave helped Remy to his feet and steered him toward the living room. Remy raised a puzzled eyebrow, but Dave laughed softly. "We're going to watch a game and talk a little. You can return to your room later." They had decided to let Remy be part of their life, as it was most likely that Remy would try to isolate himself by staying in his room. "Comfortable?"

Remy was lying on the couch on his left side to take the pressure off his back and chest. "Oui, comfortable."

"I'm going to help Benjamin do the dishes and then we'll join you, okay?" Dave smiled, seeing Remy's eyes close. "That's it. Rest is the best remedy... at least that's what Ben says."

After joining his life partner in the kitchen, they did the dishes and made some tea. Thirty minutes later, they installed themselves on the loveseat and switched on the TV. They couldn't find a game and settled for a movie.

Dave opened his arms and Benjamin sat between his lover's legs, enjoying the feel of Dave's arms tightly wrapped around him. Leaning back against Dave's chest, he felt Remy's eyes on him. "Awake again?" The stunned expression in the alien eyes briefly baffled him, wondering why it was there.

Remy felt the love they shared, but had never seen two men in love before. Seeing the tenderness, with which Dave held Benjamin close, was a revelation. These two men really cared deeply about each other. Their love was strong and he felt humble that they wanted to include him in their lives.

Dave had studied Remy's expression as well and said, "Yeah, I love Ben. We met five years ago and have been together ever since. I can't imagine a life without him."

Remy swallowed hard. Suddenly he felt the overwhelming need to tell them about his fears. He was probably making a mistake, but the pain needed a way out. "When I was nine I was prostitutin' m'self to stay 'live. I sucked dem off mais refused to let dem fuck me, mais den my pimp sold my ass for five hundred dollars and de john raped me. I don' trust men... don' trust men who like ot'er men..." He had blurted out his fears and now he flushed crimson, avoiding their eyes and trying hard to block their feelings.

Dave felt Benjamin tremble, realizing his lover had drawn the right conclusions after walking in on Remy while Remy was having that nightmare. "This happened after we met?"

"Oui, I sucked my first john off de night after I ran 'way from you. You wanted to take me to a hospital and I was scared dey'd lock me up. I'd been pretty much a prisoner for de first nine years of my life and I couldn' bear de t'ought of losin' my freedom 'gain." Remy noticed Benjamin's swimming eyes, but didn't say anything about it. "Dat's why I'm scared... bein' here wit' you. Rien comes for free and everyt'in' has a price."

Benjamin shook his head in disbelief. "You were only nine years old?"

"I had to survive..." Remy shivered.

Benjamin left the couch to collect a blanket from the guest room and covered Remy with it. Sitting down on the floor, he watched Remy closely. "Give us a chance to prove to you that not all men are evil? Yes, Dave and I like men, but we would never force you to do anything against your will."

"It's hard," Remy admitted, struggling to keep his walls up. Benjamin was close and the man radiated compassion. "Gimme time?"

"Sure," Dave said, sitting on his heels behind Benjamin and folding an arm around his partner. "You can have all the time you want."

*

The next morning Remy felt a bit more comfortable being around Benjamin and Dave. After breakfast, Dave left to go to the police station and Remy expected Benjamin to leave as well, but the doctor announced that he had taken a day off from work to look after him. Remy felt guilty, hearing that. He didn't want to be a burden.

"Nonsense, you're not a burden!" Benjamin shook his head at Remy’s objections.

Remy grew silent after that and watched Benjamin do the dishes. "Can I help?"

Benjamin arched his eyebrow. "Can you stand on your own?"

"Non," Remy whispered.

"The painkillers are making you sleepy and you'd probably drop the dishes You can help when you feel better, okay?" Benjamin said, seeing the draped expression in the alien eyes.

"'kay..." Remy sat in silence, watching Benjamin move about. He didn't know what to say.

"So Remy, how old are you? You look like you're sixteen."

"I'm nineteen," Remy corrected Benjamin.

"And when's your birthday?" Benjamin helped Remy to the couch where they sat down, drinking some herbal tea.

Remy realized Benjamin was trying to lure him into talking but he didn't mind. He was glad that the terrible silence was gone. "I ain' sure, mais I t'ink May first."

"You aren't sure?" Benjamin's brow grew knitted.

"I don' know my parents," he explained hesitantly. He didn't want to talk about the Antiquary or the Guild. "De man who adopted me, Jean-Luc, always gave me a present on dat day so I assume it's my birt'day."

"That reminds me... Dave retrieved this from your pockets."

Remy smiled. "It's my bo staff."

"Your what?"

Remy extended the staff and smiled, hearing Benjamin's surprised gasp. "It comes in handy."

"I've never seen anything like it." Remy closed the staff again and Benjamin blinked his eyes. May first... Remy had said May first... that was in two weeks. Maybe they could organize something in order to celebrate Remy's birthday. When he looked at Remy again, he found that the young man was clinging to the small metal tube and that his eyes had closed again. Benjamin tucked a blanket around Remy's form and decided to do some paperwork, which he had brought home a few days ago. In the meantime he would keep an eye on Remy.

*

"Non, leave me 'lone... Don' fuckin' touch me!" The last word turned into a helpless yelp and Benjamin hurried to Remy's side. The young man was trembling and his hands opened and closed frantically. "Remy, wake up. You're having a nightmare."

Remy reached instinctively, feeling the bo staff in his right hand and hearing a strange voice this close. He opened the staff, ready to defend himself.

Benjamin backed away, fell onto his butt and stared at his guest. "Remy, it's me, remember me?"

Remy blinked once. "Benjamin..." Oui, he was staying with Benjamin and Dave. "Am sorry," he apologized. His chest was throbbing with pain and tears appeared in his eyes. He shouldn't have moved so abruptly.

Benjamin quickly composed himself again and collected the pain medication from the kitchen. "Here, swallow two of them." He helped Remy drink the water. "Feeling better? That must have been one hell of a nightmare."

Suddenly Remy realized how close Benjamin was. The other man sat beside him on the couch, close... too close and another flash back overwhelmed him. Hugo was back, hurting him. Whimpering, he waited for the memory to pass.

"Remy? It'll help when you open your eyes and look at me. I'm not Hugo. Come on, look at me."

The voice penetrated his foggy mind and he locked eyes with Benjamin. "Not Hugo... You ain' Hugo..."

"You had nightmares about him before. That's the man who raped you..." Benjamin wanted to take Remy in his arms and hug him tight, but couldn't do that; Remy might freak out again.

"Oui," Remy admitted shyly.

"Remy?" Benjamin licked his lips. "I'd really like to hold you..."

"Non." Remy's tone bordered on sheer panic. The only man allowed to hold him was Jean-Luc LeBeau!

"Give me a chance, Remy. I just want to comfort you. My heart belongs to Dave and he's the only man I want. You don't have to feel threatened."

"Non..." But this time the protest had lost its conviction.

"You want me to hold you, don't you? Deep down there's this boy who wants to be reassured."

Mon Dieu, how does he know? Remy wanted to protest again, but Benjamin was right. He wanted to be hugged, held and rocked. He didn't struggle when Benjamin wrapped one arm around him, carefully stroking his back, staying clear of the healing wounds.

"You see, there's nothing scary about being held... I'm not hurting you..." He knew he had achieved an important victory when Remy rested his head on his shoulder. "It's nice, isn't it? Being held?"

"Oui," Remy almost choked on the word. It wasn't supposed to feel this good. He didn't hear the front door open and close, and didn't see Dave step into the room.

Benjamin however noticed his lover and smiled gently. "Why don't you start dinner?"

The question confused Remy at first, but then he realized that Benjamin wasn't addressing him at all. When had Dave gotten home? "Salut..." Suddenly he was afraid that Dave might get jealous and mad at him because his lover was holding him and he freed himself of Benjamin's embrace.

"Hey, kid, it's okay." Dave walked over to them and rested his hand on Remy's shoulder. "I know Benjamin loves me... I'm not that insecure."

Remy sighed, relieved. "Merci." Merde, he hadn't even noticed that he was crying and quickly wiped away his tears. Damn pain pills were making him emotional.

"Why don't you stay here on the couch and watch some TV? Dave and I will prepare something to eat and then we'll join you again." Benjamin wanted Remy to grow accustomed to their presence. After Remy nodded his head, he got up from the couch and joined Dave in the kitchen.

Remy stared at the TV screen, not really registering what was on. It baffled him that he had been able to endure Benjamin's touch without panicking. Maybe he was starting to feel safe?

*

In the middle of the night, Remy woke up, feeling incredibly thirsty. Merde, now he had to walk to the kitchen to get himself a drink. He pushed back the comforter and carefully got to his feet. Although the vertigo was gone, he still felt weak. Slowly, he opened the door and stepped into the living room. Dave and Benjamin's room was on the other side of the living room and they appeared to be still awake, judging from the noises coming from their room. Soft mews of approval echoed through the apartment and Remy involuntarily started for their room. The door was ajar and...

Mon Dieu... He couldn't move, transfixed by the erotic scene in front of him. Dave and Benjamin were making out! Get out of here! You ain' supposed to watch! Move it! But he was paralyzed and continued to watch.

Benjamin was on his back and moaning softly as Dave licked his way down his lover's belly. "I love you..." Dave mumbled affectionately and then...

Remy suddenly bolted from the room, ran into the bathroom and began throwing up. Non, non, non! Dave had taken Benjamin's erection into his mouth and seeing that had triggered his own memories, memories which he had repressed for so long. Suddenly, he was back on Bourbon Street, sucking off a john and dry heaves tormented his body.

"Remy? Remy, what? Are you all right, kid?" Dave was the first to reach the bathroom and kneeled next to Remy, smoothing back the locks while Remy continued to vomit. "It's okay, just ride it out, don't fight it."

Remy shook off Dave's hand and spilled the rest of dinner into the porcelain bowl. Finally, he calmed down and pushed himself away from Dave. Huddling in the corner of the bathroom, he eyed them suspiciously.

"Remy, what's going on?" Benjamin kept his distance, reading Remy's body language correctly. He had quickly stepped into some boxers and Dave was wearing a robe. They had been in the middle of making love when Remy had startled them. Was that it? Damn, the door had been ajar when they had stormed into the living room. "You saw us make love, is that it?"

Remy shook violently and averted his eyes. Trying to make himself as small as possible, he wrapped his arms around his knees and rocked slightly. "Sorry, didn' wanna watch, mais..."

"What did you see, Remy? What triggered this?" Benjamin moved a little closer, but the bathroom was getting crowded. "Dave, why don't you make some tea?"

"Sure." Dave realized Benjamin wanted to talk to Remy and left the bathroom, trusting his lover to handle this situation.

Remy shook his head. "Don' wanna remember."

"What was it?"

"Did he hurt you?"

Remy's question puzzled Benjamin. "Why are you asking?"

"He was on top, non? Know how much it hurts to be de bottom... Did it only once, mais Hugo...Did Dave..."

"Dave didn't hurt me, Remy," Benjamin reassured him, suddenly realizing that he was dealing with a frightened nine year old boy that had been hiding all these years. "Dave was making love to me."

Remy peeked at Benjamin, feeling like a nine year old again. "Has to hurt... De johns 'ways hurt Philippe when dey fucked him."

"Oh, Remy." Benjamin sat down cross-legged and managed to catch Remy's gaze. "That wasn't making love. That was rape. No matter how much they paid, neither Philippe nor you wanted to have sex with them. You needed the money to survive, remember? The men who abused you were perverted bastards."

Remy's eyes glowed. "Don' believe you... 'ways hurts."

Benjamin licked his lips, ready to make a suggestion that could easily backfire. "Did I look like I was in pain when Dave was touching me?"

"Non..."

"Listen, the next time Dave and I make love... would you want to watch?"

Remy's eyes grew big. "Watch?"

"That way we might convince you that making love isn't about pain or control. It's about love and passion."

Remy shook his head. "Don' t'ink dat's a bon idea."

"Just think about it, okay?"

"Tea's ready!" Dave announced, startling them.

"Let's move this to the living room, okay? We'll drink some tea, talk some more and then we'll try to go back to sleep."

Remy allowed Benjamin to help him to his feet. Benjamin guided him to the couch, where they sat down. Dave handed him a cup of tea and he sipped the hot liquid. Surprised, he found that he wasn't that scared anymore. Maybe it was because Dave was holding Benjamin close again and briefly, he felt envious of the love they had... which he would never find.

*

The next few days passed quickly and Remy found himself settling down into a routine of sleeping, eating, walking about a bit, waiting for them to come home, eating dinner and watching TV. He felt at peace and that was aiding his recovery. He knew he should be moving out again now that he was feeling better, but he liked being part of... a family, was that it?

"You know," Dave started while munching on some potato chips, "you never told us your last name."

"LeBeau," Remy replied without hesitation. It showed how much he had come to trust them. "Why do you want to know?"

Dave shrugged his shoulders. "Curious." Tomorrow was Remy's birthday and they were trying to contact his family, which hopefully lived in New Orleans, because that was where he was concentrating his search.

Remy got to his feet. "I t'ink I'll go for a walk." Yesterday he had gone outside for the first time and it was the perfect way to give them some privacy. He noticed Benjamin's concerned look and tried to reassure his friend. "I'm bien, I really am."

"Don't overdo it." Benjamin nodded his head once. "Be careful. You're still healing."

"I'll be careful," Remy promised and collected his coat. "Be back in one hour, mes amis!"

Dave and Benjamin looked at each other once the door had closed behind Remy. "We've got one hour," they said simultaneously.

Dave licked his lips. "One hour to make hot, wild passionate love to you."

"What are we waiting for?" Benjamin jumped to his feet and dragged Dave into the bedroom with him.

*

Remy got back a little early. It had started to rain and he didn't want to catch a cold while he was still recovering from Creed's attack. He used the key Dave had given him to open the door and let himself in. The TV was off and he assumed they had gone to bed early, which he should do as well.

"Oh, Dave, yes, harder, please... oh, you make me feel so good... love you..."

Oops... Remy blushed, realizing he had managed to walk in on them again! He was about to hurry to his room when Benjamin's moans grew louder.

"Oh, yes, yes, yes... so close, so fucking close... come on, Dave..." Soft yelps and demanding whimpers floated from the bedroom into the living room.

Benjamin said it was bien if I watched, mais... His feet were already carrying him to their bedroom. Non, can' do dis! I ain' a voyeur... But he found himself standing in the doorway again. Why had they left the door open?

His mouth turned dry, watching Dave and Benjamin make love. It should have shocked the hell out of him, seeing Dave thrust and Benjamin wrapping his legs around his lover's waist, but... he sensed their love and it was beautiful. Dave was kissing his lover, claiming Benjamin's lips and suckling them. His thrusts were gentle and he was pumping Benjamin's erection at the same time. This was nothing like his experience with Hugo. This was different, this was making love...

"Remy?" Benjamin smiled, seeing the startled expression in Remy's eyes. "It's okay, Remy... it's okay..."

Dave ignored Remy, concentrating on his lover instead. They had discussed the fact that Remy might turn up and watch them and although he wasn't thrilled to have an audience he understood why Benjamin had told Remy that it was okay to watch.

Remy fought the urge to run away, but his eyes devoured the scene in front of him.

Dave's tongue slithered into Benjamin's mouth and his thrusts grew wilder. Releasing Benjamin's lips briefly, he panted a declaration of love. "Love you, Bennie... always love you... we belong together... love you, sweetheart."

Remy swallowed hard, feeling Benjamin's impending orgasm and growing hard himself. He should retreat now that he knew the difference between fucking and making love, but he needed to see the rest as well.

Dave suckled an erect nipple, making Benjamin squirm beneath him. Pumping his lover's cock, he aimed for Benjamin's sweet spot. "Come for me, love, come for me...I want to taste you, feel you, smell you..."

Benjamin trembled as he climaxed, shooting his come across Dave's hand and belly. "Oh, fuck, Dave..."

Dave smiled, kissed his lover again and loosed his own orgasm. Holding onto Benjamin, he rode out the waves of ecstasy.

Remy's heart missed a beat, seeing Dave pull out and spoon up behind Benjamin. He had feared that Dave would ignore Benjamin's needs, forgetting about making him come, but seeing them snuggled up like this, he realized his mistake. Benjamin's tired eyes met his and he smiled. "I t'ink I understand now... merci for lettin' me be part of dis."

Benjamin smiled sleepily.

Remy closed the door and returned to his room. He undressed and slipped between the sheets, feeling ashamed that he was still hard. Seeing them make love had opened his eyes. Fucking was just fucking and johns had paid Philippe and him to fuck them... What Dave and Benjamin had was different and he wanted that... wanted that love badly.

Although he was trembling, he curled his fingers around his erection, enjoying the friction that made him even harder. Love, dey made love... it's different... it's so much betta. Wish I had someone to love... All it took was a few more strokes and he was coming hard; white cream pooled on his belly and cooled quickly. Mais rien changed... I'm still alone...

Fighting back his tears, he stared at the ceiling. He desperately wanted what Dave and Benjamin had... mais I'll never find someone who loves me back... never...

*

"You're doing really well, Remy, aren't you?" Benjamin smiled. Remy had gained weight and his chest and back hardly bothered him anymore.

"T'anks to you and Dave." Benjamin was right; he had seldom known such peace. The only time that came close was when he had allowed himself to trust Jean-Luc and Mattie.

"Dave and I will be late tonight. We're going to catch a movie, want to join us?"

"Non," Remy declined, making sure they got enough privacy. "I might be going out myself tonight."

Benjamin raised an eyebrow.

"Don' worry. I'm only goin' to de museum." Remy collected his coat and walked toward the door. "Mebbe I'll even meet someone."

"I hope so, Remy," Benjamin mumbled after Remy had closed the door behind him. "You deserve someone who loves you."

*

On his way back home, Remy stopped to have some coffee. He had enjoyed touring the museum and was even thinking about plying his thieving skills again, but he was hesitant to get back into the criminal circuit. Creed and Sinister were still out there.

And what 'bout de Morlocks? I deserted dem. I didn' even go back to see if anyone survived. What happened to de girl? He had tried so hard to make peace with what had happened, but the guilt never left him, clouding his happiness.

Leaving the coffee shop, the guilt became oppressive and he began to pant, desperately trying to draw oxygen into his lungs. Was this a panic attack? Looking up, he saw that the lights were on in Dave and Benjamin's room. Maybe it would help if he talked to them? Finally told them what a fool he had been?

After he calmed down a bit, he uncovered his key and let himself in. "Dave? Benjamin?" After shedding his coat, he headed for their bedroom. "Mes amis? Am I interruptin' l'amour?"

Why weren't they answering him? He knocked on the door, but the silence remained. No moans, no whimpers... Suddenly a sense of dread overwhelmed him and he opened the door.

Non, mon Dieu.. non, not dem! Dey never hurt anyone! Tears flowed down his face as he approached them. Benjamin was lying on his side, curled around Dave. A dagger was buried in his left shoulder. It had been aimed at the heart. Dave was next to his lover. An arrow had pierced his heart.

"NON!" Remy collapsed on to his knees. "NON! Why? Why did you kill dem?" The dagger and arrow were trademarks of the Assassins Guild and he recognized this particular dagger. It belonged to Julien.

"Non..." Sobbing softly, he rested one hand on either body, finding that they were still warm. Why had he stopped on his way home? Maybe he could have stopped Julien if he had gotten home earlier! "Why did you take me in? You'd still be 'live now if you hadn' taken me in... I want you 'live... please mon Dieu, don' be dis cruel. Lemme wake up from dis horrible dream..."

The floodgates opened and he cried softly, releasing his pain. Mon Dieu, dey didn' deserve to die... dey were bon people... I should have known I was makin' de wrong choice. Everyone who cares 'bout me, dies. I killed dem, killed Benjamin and Dave. Oh, mes amis, je vous aime, please don' leave me 'lone... don' wanna be 'lone...

"Don't despair, I'm here."

Remy jumped to his feet, extended his bo staff and faced Sinister. "What! Didn' you do enough damage? You took 'way de trust I had in Jean-Luc! You killed my mère. I should kill you in return!"

"You can't kill me," Sinister said calmly, not even glancing at the two bodies. "You might have stood a chance when your powers were out of control, but not anymore."

"What do you want from me?" Remy charged the staff and was ready to throw it at Sinister, hoping to pierce his heart.

"I didn't get a chance to finish in the tunnels. I told you about your mother... but not about your father."

Remy froze. The malice in Sinster's eyes was getting to him and the scientist stunk of evil.

"Don't despair about the death of your friends... I'm here for you... son."

"NON!" Remy couldn't take it any longer. "Dat's a lie! I ain' your son, non!" He threw the bo staff, but Sinister managed to step away. An explosion rocked the apartment and the curtains caught fire.

"It's the truth, Remy. You are my son. Damn Jean-Luc LeBeau for stealing you. I didn't even get the chance to name you." Sinister grinned. "Just look at our eyes, son... my legacy."

"Non..." Remy was sobbing hysterically. He managed to retrieve his bo staff and stared in disbelief at the bed that was burning as well. "Can' let dem burn!" Turning his back on Sinister, he lifted Benjamin in his arms and carried him outside, placing his dead friend on the pavement. Then he went back into the burning house to collect Dave. Sinister stood amidst the flames, laughing loudly. Remy ignored him and carried Dave onto the street as well.

"I'm so sorry, mes amis. I'd gladly die if it would bring you back to life..." A crowd was forming and he had to leave this place before the police moved in and wanted to question him. Dave had been a cop and they would want to catch the killer.

Looking up at the sea of flames, he saw Sinister's silhouette and shuddered. Sinister couldn't be his father. The man was playing games with him!

As he ran into the night, he realized he was truly alone again.I'll never forget you, mes amis... never.

Chapter Eleven
A New Beginning.

What the hell was he doing here? He had never before visited a city's red light district and now he was roaming the streets, looking for company. Had he really become a john like he had always feared? Non, don' wanna use anyone... just need someone to hold me.

He had tried meeting someone at the clubs and the bars. Had gone to museums, plays, concerts, hoping to find someone who was interested in him, who would want to share his burden, but most of them backed out the moment they saw his eyes. In the end, his loneliness had driven him back here, back to his past.

The crushing loneliness had started right after losing Benjamin and Dave. He had only stayed at their place for ten days, but they had become family to him. Julien killing them had been cruel and sadistic, only meant to hurt him. Why was the monster in New York anyway? But the Assassins operated all over the world. Their actions weren't limited to New Orleans.

Shivering, he recalled carrying their bodies outside while Sinister had laughed at him. He ain' my fat'er, non, ain' my fat'er. He's a liar, playin' head games wit' me. He couldn't accept being Sinister's son and was doing his best to forget Sinister's admission, living in denial. All these things were nagging at his soul, draining him of his spirit.

So why was he here? To pay someone to care about him.

He didn't pay the girls any attention. That wasn't why he was here. He already knew he liked girls, Belle had shown him that, but the question that was haunting him was whether he liked men as well. After all, he had jerked off after watching Benjamin and Dave make out. Was he bi? That possibility scared him.

"Hey, gorgeous, I'll be yours tonight for a hundred bucks."

Remy studied the male prostitute, using his empathy to probe the man's mind. Non, he ain' what I'm lookin' for... a greedy bastard and a crack addict... he's too much like Philippe... Mon Dieu, I might still be workin' de streets if Jean-Luc hadn' taken me in!

"Sorry, you ain' my type," he apologized and moved on. He shook his head in disbelief, realizing just how many men were trying to sell their bodies. Some of the prostitutes even seemed underage. Have to open dat shelter soon...

He had decided to fund a shelter in which volunteers would try to reach the prostitutes and hopefully show them the way to a better life. The young ones would get special attention; he had even contacted Child Protection Services to help them find new homes for the young boys and girls. Hopefully the shelter would open in a few days.

Suddenly, his empathy picked up on an interesting mind and his eyes scanned the young men, finally settling on a man, who was leaning against the wall, studying his fingernails. The man was older than most of the prostitutes. Probably thirty... or even older. But he was still handsome and he possessed charisma.

Remy cringed, the man reminded him of Dave, having a brush cut as well. The only difference was that this man had black hair and the bluest eyes he had ever seen. The man had drawn his attention because he seemed to care about the younger hustlers. His mind showed no signs of addiction, greed or sexual perversions and Remy decided to make his move. "Salut," he said, walking up to the man.

The prostitute smiled lazily. "Hello handsome, what are you doing here? You look good enough for the pimps to make a move on you. Be careful around these parts."

Remy blinked his eyes. He clearly sensed concern; the other man was concerned for his safety! "I'm Remy," he introduced himself, studying the man further. He was well build, even muscular, like Dave was, and he probably worked out a lot.

"Name's Mike." Mike returned the studying gaze. He had seldom seen such a beauty trying to pick up men. Surely Remy could get anyone he wanted?

Remy actually blushed, realizing what he was doing. He didn't want to be alone tonight. The days were no problem; he spend them stealing from the rich and giving the money to the poor. He enjoyed seeing the big eyes when his chosen ones found the money in their living room. Kids who had never seen a toy because their parents couldn't afford them suddenly found themselves surrounded by teddy bears and dolls while their parents were trying to figure out how the toys had gotten into their kid's room. Seeing their eyes and feeling their gratitude kept him going.

"So what are you looking for, handsome?" The distant expression on Remy's face puzzled Mike briefly and he wished Remy would take off the sunglasses so he could look into the man's eyes.

"I t'ink I was lookin' for you..." His hands had turned clammy from nervousness and he was trying hard not to stutter. "Would you spend de night wit' me?"

Mike cocked his head. "Twenty if you want me to jerk you off, forty for a blowjob and I don't allow anyone to fuck me."

"How much for the whole night?" Remy felt strangely pleased that Mike wasn't selling his ass. At least Mike had been able to hold onto to some of his dignity. Hugo took 'way mine...

Mike's eyes narrowed. "The whole night?" That was a first. "Let's see... one fifty?"

Remy uncovered his wallet and took out the money. "Here." He handed the money to Mike, who quickly put it away in his pocket.

"You want to party, handsome?" Mike placed a possessive arm around Remy's waist and was surprised to feel the tremors that moved through the other man's body .Come to think of it, Remy didn't look any older than eighteen. "Or is this your first time with a man?"

"What gave me 'way?" Remy stared at the pavement.

Mike smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry about a thing. I'll take care of it."

Remy started to walk, leading Mike down the street. Several of the other male prostitutes whistled as they passed by.

"They're just jealous," Mike teased, wondering where Remy was taking him. Most of the customers preferred to rent a room for the hour in one of the cheap hotels. "Where are we going, handsome?"

"Back to my place... is dat 'kay wit' you?" As a boy he had taken his johns to his room, never trusting them when they offered to take him to their place.

"Sure, kid."

Remy flinched. Kid, Dave called me kid as well.

"Are you okay? You look tired, Remy." Mike was surprised when Remy turned left, heading for the wealthier part of New York. He didn't get an answer and they walked for at least thirty minutes. In the end, Remy stopped in front of an apartment building and opened the door. After stepping into the elevator, Remy pressed the button for the penthouse and Mike whistled, impressed. "Should have asked for more money, huh?"

Remy startled briefly, but then felt the gentle amusement in Mike's mind. Remaining silent, he opened the door to the penthouse and stepped inside. Behind him, Mike entered as well.

"Great place you've got here." Mike's gaze traveled from the valuable paintings to the sculptures, high-tech TV and audio set and he finally ended up looking out over New York. This penthouse cost more than he could ever earn in his life.

"Glad you like it." Remy moved into the kitchen. "What would you like to drink?"

"What are you having?" Mike joined Remy in the kitchen. The younger man puzzled him.

"Tea."

"Sounds fine with me." Mike watched Remy closely as he prepared the tea and found that Remy's hands were trembling, which confirmed his suspicion; Remy had never picked up a prostitute before.

Remy handed Mike the tea and walked over to the couch in the living room, where he sat down. Sighing, he waited for the tea to cool down. Mike sat down opposite him and Remy felt awkward and embarrassed for actually taking Mike home with him. He placed the cup of tea on the coffee table to remove his boots, but suddenly Mike moved, kneeling in front of him. Remy froze, staring at Mike in a panic that was quickly building.

"Let me do that. After all, you're paying me for my time." Mike saw the panic in Remy's eyes and slowly removed the boots.

Sitting cross-legged on the floor, he realized that he had never been in such a strange situation before. "What do want me to do tonight?"

"I need companionship," Remy replied softly. "No sex... don' want dat, mais... would you hold me tonight?" His empathy told him that Mike could be trusted, that the man already cared, worried about him.

"Sure, if that's what you want." What other surprises had Remy in store for him? Fuck, Remy had taken off his sunglasses and the eyes were red on black! The kid was a mutant! Mike licked his lips; did this make a difference? No.

After finishing his tea, Remy got to his feet and walked into the bedroom. Mike followed him, feeling curious. He even smiled when Remy disappeared into the bathroom to take off his clothes. Mike stripped quickly, but left his boxers on, not sure what Remy wanted from him and the kid seemed insecure at best.

When Remy returned he was wearing sweat pants and a long sleeved shirt. Mike raised an eyebrow. "You sure you won't be too hot wearing all that?"

"I'm bien," Remy said softly, shuffling his feet.

Mike walked toward him, took Remy's hand in his and led him to the bed. They slipped between the covers and instinctively he spooned up behind Remy. "This okay?"

"Perfect." Remy was fighting the tears, which were building in his eyes. It had been so long since someone had held him like this that it seemed like an eternity. It didn't matter that only three months had passed since he had lost Benjamin and Dave.

Mike kept one arm wrapped around Remy and let his other hand tangle gently in the long auburn hair. "You want to go to sleep now, or...?"

"Sleep, oui." Remy closed his eyes and relaxed against the muscular body behind him.

Mike continued the caresses until Remy's breathing evened out. Remy seemed innocent and honest. Maybe he should tell Remy that he wasn't a real prostitute, but an undercover cop.

*

The next morning, Remy woke rested. At first, he panicked, not understanding why someone's arms were wrapped around him, but then he remembered Mike. Slowly, he turned in the embrace until he faced Mike, who was still asleep. Now that the sunlight illuminated his bedroom, he realized just how much Mike resembled Dave. The two men could have been twins if it hadn't been for the different hair and eye color.

Maybe he could convince Mike not to go back to working the streets. Maybe he could help Mike find a decent job and support him financially until Mike was able to support himself without prostituting himself. Those were a lot of maybes.

"Hey, good morning, handsome." Mike had felt Remy's eyes on him and the sensation had woken him up. Just don't try anything, kid, or I'll put the fear of the law in you.

Remy blushed. "Breakfast?"

"Sounds great. Need help?"

"Non, why don' you take a shower instead?" Mike would be leaving soon and Remy wanted to spoil him a little.

Mike nodded his head. "Thanks." Yeah, maybe he should tell Remy...

*

"Please sit down." Remy had made bacon and eggs and put a generous amount on Mike's plate.

After Mike sat down, he studied Remy again. "What's this all about, kid?" He started eating while he waited for Remy's answer. "It's dangerous to pick up men like that."

"I know dat," Remy admitted, poking his food. "Mais I needed someone close last night."

"I liked holding you." It was the truth. Sleeping that well with a stranger in his arms had surprised Mike as well.

"Mebbe you can come back tonight?" Remy asked, hopefully. "Money ain' an issue. Could even financially support you so you wouldn' have to go back to de streets."

Mike almost choked in his bacon and eggs. "What?" Was this kid offering to take care of him? He suppressed a chuckle. His captain had sent him undercover to find out more about a serial killer and now this kid wanted him off the streets? "Sorry, sounds tempting, but I want to be independent."

Disappointed, Remy nodded his head. He had hoped Mike would accept his offer.

"I'll be back tonight, okay, kid?" Mike didn't know why he suddenly felt like a bastard. Maybe it was the vacant expression in the alien eyes. He was still trying to get used to them. "Don't go back out and picking up a man. I will be here at midnight, okay?"

"Oui..." Remy played with his bacon and eggs, moving them about on his plate. "I'm serious, you know. Don' want you back on de streets."

Something about that tone set off Mike's alarms. I'll be damned... Did he work the streets once and is he trying to help me? The thought touched something deep inside him. He hadn't felt this deeply since his brother had died. "I know you're serious and I really appreciate it."

"Mais de answer is still non."

"I'm afraid so. Look, kid, I have to go now, but I'll see you tonight. Don't come looking for me if I’m late."

Remy smiled, pleasantly surprised by the warm concern in Mike's mind. "I'll stay in tonight."

"Good." Mike grabbed his coat and slipped into his boots. "Be careful, kid."

"You too," Remy whispered, wondering why he was feeling dizzy.

*

"It's true, LeBeau. Dere's a new t'ief in town. We got several tips from informants dat a young girl is workin' de territory and she ain' wit' de Guild."

Emile, Remy's contact seemed worried and that worried Remy in turn. "I'll look into de matter."

"It's bad for business." Emile looked expectedly at Remy LeBeau, the Patriarch's adopted son. "You're pretty much in charge here in New York."

It was true. All thieves respected Jean-Luc LeBeau and once the news had spread that Remy had taken up residence in New York, none of the resident Guild thieves had challenged him. "What do you know 'bout de girl, mon ami?"

"She's dark skinned, has white hair and white eyes. Dey t'ink she's a mutant too."

Remy flinched. "A mutant?" That meant he had to find her as quickly as possible. The Guild Thieves considered mutants an abomination as he had experienced first hand when Jean-Luc had introduced him to other thieves. He had felt their loathing.

"Tell dem dat I'm takin' care of de matter. If someone hurts her he has to answer to me."

"I'll tell dem." Emile finished his coffee and rose from his chair. They always met in this little coffee shop; it was quiet and personal here. "You got a message for your père?"

"Tell him I'm bien." Remy closed his eyes behind the sunglasses, trying to control the raging need to ask Jean-Luc to visit him.

When he opened his eyes again, Emile was gone. Checking the time, he found that it was close to midnight. Mike... Would Mike keep his promise and come to his apartment tonight? There was only one way to find out.

Remy paid for their drinks, pulled his long coat closer to his body and left the coffee shop, heading back to his penthouse.

*

Remy's eyes grew big, seeing Mike pace the entrance of the building. "You're early."

"And I told you to stay home. Where were you? Did you go back out looking for someone else?"

Remy raised an eyebrow. His empathy picked up on concern and... jealousy? Was Mike worried that he would turn to another prostitute? If that was the case, it wasn't because of the money. What he felt was real jealousy. Does dat mean he cares? His heart beat a faster rhythm, realizing that Mike really wanted to see him. "Come inside," he offered, opening the door and heading for the elevator. "Same price as last night or has de price gone up?" Part of him hoped that Mike would refuse the money, but he was deluding himself. Mike was a hustler, trying to make money.

"Same as last night," Mike said eventually, leaving the elevator as they arrived at the penthouse. He dropped his coat onto a chair and sat down on the couch. Remy was in the kitchen again, preparing tea. "I've got to ask, kid... where does the money come from? How can you afford this place?"

Remy handed him the tea and sat down on the other end of the couch. "Got a wealt'y père."

"Where are you from? You're not from around here."

"N'Awlins."

"Cajun, huh?"

"Oui." The silence returned and Remy began to feel shy. He should probably pay Mike first. "Here." He placed the money on the coffee table.

Mike nodded once. "Same routine as yesterday?"

Remy simply stared at him. He wanted to touch Mike, caress his face... Mon Dieu, I can' be fallin' in love wit' him! He'll never give up hustlin'...

"What is it, Remy?" Mike placed his coffee mug on the table and moved a little closer. Gently, he removed the sunglasses. "Do you really need them at night?"

"Non," Remy whispered, breathlessly. "Jus' don' want people to see my eyes." Mon Dieu, Mike was close and his mind felt warm and inviting...

"Looks to me like you want to do more than me holding you." Mike smiled reassuringly. He shouldn't get involved with Remy, but maybe...

"I'd like to kiss you," Remy admitted, shakily. "Mais I can' do dat."

"Why is that?" Mike raised his left hand and gently stroked the auburn locks.

"You're a hustler, doin' dis for money. It'd be a lie." He had set himself up, thinking he could convince himself that he could do this. Mike was a hustler; this wasn't about feelings.

"Then forget about the money," Mike said firmly. "The truth is that I like you too. If we hadn't met this way I would have asked you to date me."

"Wouldn' work, chèr," Remy laughed, embittered. "Been searchin' for l'amour my whole life... I can' settle for less."

"What if I told you that I've been thinking about you all day?" It was the truth. He had been less alert than usual and although he had found new clues that might lead him to the serial killer, meeting Remy again had been on his mind constantly. Was this love at first sight?

"Mike?" Remy tried to sort out his feelings for Mike, realizing he felt attracted to him as well. Mon Dieu, dat means I'm bi!

"Remy, can I kiss you?" The cornered expression in Remy's eyes worried Mike. Were his suspicions correct and had Remy been a prostitute himself? How old could the kid have been when he had worked the streets? Had he been a minor? His blood was beginning to boil. He was out there on the streets every day and tried to talk to the really young boys, even called in his colleagues to have them arrested, hoping someone would look after them and make sure they didn't end up on the streets again.

"I ain' sure," Remy said, shyly. "I'm scared."

"I figured that much." Mike nodded his head. "I'll be gentle, kid."

Remy pinched his eyes tightly shut and waited for Mike to take the initiative. When nothing happened, he searched the other man's gaze. "What?"

"I want you to kiss me. I think you need to be in control here."

Remy trembled. "You know..."

"I think so... how old were you?"

"Nine..."

"Nine?" Anger burned in the pit of his stomach. "Nine? Where were your parents, Remy?"

"Don' have any." Non, Sinister ain' my fat'er... he was jus' playin' games!

"Come here..." Mike carefully wrapped his arms around Remy, encouraging him to rest his head on his shoulder. "I need to tell you something before we take this any further." Remy trembled in his arms.

"Oui?" He finally relaxed in Mike's arms, feeling like he had known the man for years. This had to be love.

"I'm not really a hustler." Mike held his breath as Remy freed himself of the embrace to lock eyes with him. "I'm a cop, undercover." The tremors grew worse. Shouldn't hearing that he was a cop reassure Remy?

"A cop? Are you arrestin' me?"

"No, you didn't do anything illegal."

"I paid you to come home wit' me..."

"To hold you in your sleep. That's not against the law. If you had paid me to have sex with you..."

Remy abruptly got to his feet. "Please leave."

"Why?"

Remy shook violently. Dave had been a cop... "I can' do dis anymore... Please don' come back here ever 'gain... I'll probably move somewhere else."

Mike rose from the couch and came to a halt in front of Remy. "Look at me, please?"

"What?" Why had he fooled himself into thinking he could do this? Why did I have to fall for him? I want him close... Is it jus' 'cause he reminds me of Dave?

"Why don't we start all over again? Let's meet for dinner tomorrow evening and then we'll see what happens?"

"A date?" Non, don' do dis to me! Jus' leave me, get outta my life! Being in love with a man scared him and now Mike was offering to start dating?

"Yes, a date. Let's say about eight? I'll pick you up and you can choose the restaurant." Realizing that Remy needed a moment to compose himself, he considered leaving, but Remy had asked him here to hold him during the night. "What do we do now, Remy? It's your call, kid. Want me to leave or to stay?"

"What will happen if you stay?" His voice trembled.

"I'll hold you in your sleep, just like last night... nothing else will happen."

Tell him to go 'way! He's a cop and you're a t'ief! It will never work out! Oh mon Dieu, what if Julien is still watchin' me, gettin' ready to move in and kill Mike like he killed Benjamin and Dave? I can' take dat risk. "You'd betta leave and never come back. I'm trouble."

Mike heard the words, but was convinced that Remy didn't mean them. There was something about the tone that was too damned off. "Why are you trouble?"

"De people I care 'bout die... de last two people I cared 'bout were killed by... someone from my past. He might come after you too." Why was Julien doing this to him? Why was Julien making his life miserable? Hadn't he suffered enough?

"This man killed your friends? Did you go to the police?"

Remy laughed, embittered. You have no idea who you're dealin' wit'. De police can' take on de likes of Julien, Creed or Sinister. De only way I can protect you is by leavin' you.

Mike was startled, hearing Remy's frantic laughter. "Hey, calm down, kid." Acting on instinct, he folded his arms around Remy and guided the younger man to the bed. When Remy didn't object, Mike stripped him quickly, took off his own clothes as well and held Remy close, lying spooned behind him. "I don't know what happened to your friends, but you should talk to the detective in charge of solving the case."

I can' do dat, chèr... dey'd never believe me... and I'd endanger deir life. Remy closed his eyes and clung to Mike, who held him through the night.

*

"De girl was seen 'gain, LeBeau. She was near de museum, checkin' out de security system. De Guild is gettin' impatient. You need to deal wit' her." Emile sipped his coffee, trying to pinpoint the change in Remy LeBeau. The young thief looked rested, but at the same time restless.

"Anyt'ing else?" Remy stared into the dark coffee, trying hard not to think of Mike.

"Looks like de Shadowking is interested in her. Last thin' I heard was Lian released de hounds to track de girl down."

"Merde!" Remy slammed his fist into the table. He had tried tracking her down as well, but the girl was smart and didn't leave any traces to go by. It didn't help that he was thinking about Mike most of the time either. "I'll find her," he vowed.

Satisfied, Emile left the coffee shop. Remy was lost in thought, trying to figure out how to find her and didn't notice Mike walking up to him.

"Remy?"

"What?" Startled, Remy looked up. "Mike, what are you doin' here?"

"I could ask you de same thing, kid. We arrested the perp I was after and the case is closed. I'm back to my normal routine. Do you know we're watching this place because a lot of known thieves hang out around here?"

"T'ieves? Non, didn' know dat." Remy acted like he didn' care, but grew alert. Why was Mike here?

"Care to explain this to me?" Mike shoved a letter across the table. "It's from my brother." Calm, he had to stay calm and give Remy a chance to explain himself. Long, gracious fingers, opened the envelope and Remy's eyes grew big. "Why don't you read it aloud?"

Remy licked his lips... I can' do dis! But he started reading it anyway.

Hi Mike,
I know it's been a while since I invited you over, but we're having a guest over and the kid scares easily, but I should start at the beginning. Benjamin and I are fine. We just celebrated our fifth anniversary and we plan on throwing a party later this month. You're invited of course and feel free to bring a friend.

Work is stressful, but what's new? I don't have to tell you about being a cop. Man, we really should get together again and catch up. We'll do that at the party all right?

You're probably wondering about our guest. Yeah, we don't usually take people in, but you should meet this kid. Remy's nineteen years old and... Benjamin turned into a mother hen and can't stop fussing over Remy. I found the kid in a dark tunnel, his back and chest had been slashed open. He didn't have a place to stay after Bennie discharged him and he accepted our invitation to stay with us. Bennie thinks Remy was abused as a child, but it's hard to find information on the kid, as I don't know his last name. By the way, Remy's a mutant, an empath. He has the most unique eyes I've ever seen, red on black. Man, you really have to meet him. Remy's a great kid. If I'd had a son I would have liked him to be like Remy...

"Non, please, can' read any furt'er." Mon Dieu, dis can' be happenin'! But he was holding Dave's letter in his hands; a letter Dave had written his brother. Sacre mère... Mike and Dave are brot'ers. Dat's why Mike reminded me so much of Dave! What if he t'inks I killed dem? Dey'll never catch Julien... "I didn' kill dem... I cared 'bout dem..."

Mike watched Remy closely; so many different emotions were flashing across the younger man's features that he was an open book to the cop. Whatever suspicions he'd had were gone now. He didn't believe for one moment that Remy was the killer.

"What happened? I have a right to know."

"Julien happened..." Remy wiped away a stray tear and tried to compose himself. "He's a professional assassin and hates my guts... He's probably still 'round, watchin' you, watchin' me... dat's why I wanted to stop seein' you... don' want you dead."

Mike leaned back in his chair. "What's an empath?"

Remy swallowed hard. "I can read your feelings."

"My feelings?"

"Dat's why I picked you dat night... You felt warm and honest. You seemed worried 'bout de ot'er boys and I felt safe wit' you."

Remy dropped the letter onto the table. "Didn' know Dave and you were family."

Mike nodded his head once, slipping the letter back into his pocket. "What does this Julien look like?"

"You can' go after him, Mike." Remy shivered. "He'd kill you."

"Don't worry about that. I know now that he might come after me, I'll be careful."

"You don' understand..." He couldn't tell Mike about the Assassins Guild. Mike would never believe him. "Dis has got to end now."

"Remy?" Mike frowned.

"I can' keep seein' you. I have to move on, disappear from your life 'fore Julien makes his move."

"No, we're going to my place and find a solution to our problem." Mike got to his feet and extended his hand. "Come on, kid."

Remy dropped some money on the table to pay for their drinks and followed Mike out of the coffee shop, never accepting Mike's hand.

*

"Make yourself comfortable." Mike collapsed onto the couch in the living room, realizing how cheap and small his apartment looked compared to Remy's penthouse.

Reluctantly, Remy sat down on the chair opposite the couch, keeping his distance. "Dis has to be adieu, Mike."

"Are you in love with me?" Mike leaned forward, locking eyes with Remy. "Because I'm in love with you."

"Oui, I'm in love wit' you too, mais it can' be..." Julien will kill him... Julien will kill him... Gotta move on...

"So you're dumping me?"

"Mike, understand! I don' want you to die! Julien will move in and kill you!" Remy was shaking with anger. Julien was ruining his life again. Maybe he should go after the bastard and make sure he was dead by burying his bo staff in the man's heart. How hard was it to kill one of the living dead? How powerful was the Elixir?

"I can't change your mind?"

"Non, sorry..." Remy got to his feet, eager to leave. He wanted to put as much distance between them as possible to convince Julien that Mike meant nothing to him.

"Before you go..." Mike moved quickly, stepping up to Remy. Gently, he folded one arm around Remy's waist and pulled him close. "I need a memory..."

Remy held his breath as Mike claimed his lips. He moaned, squirmed in the embrace, parted his teeth and invited Mike's tongue in. Growing hard, he bucked against the other man. "Non, please, we can' do dis..."

"Why?" Mike asked, releasing Remy's lips.

"We can never see each ot'er 'gain..."

"I want to be with you, Remy... just this once... Please say yes..." Mike gently stroked the soft hair, traced Remy's jaw line and teased his bottom lip by running his tongue along it.

"I've never been wit' a man..." Old fear slipped back into his voice. "Can' be on de bottom..."

Yeah, Dave mentioned you’d been abused... "You can be on top, Remy."

"You'd let me do dat?" Remy felt boneless; only Mike was keeping him on his feet. "Don' know if I can get it up."

"You feel hard to me, handsome..." Mike teased, kneading Remy's erection through the fabric of his jeans. "Let me love you... just this once..."

Remy was lost, feeling Mike's love and affection. We could have worked out... Saddened, he fought back his tears. The fear was lurking, ready to stop him from taking the next step, but he was determined not to let the fear beat him this time.

"I'll be gentle... you'll be on top... we both need this, Remy..." Mike held his breath while Remy made up his mind. Would Remy accept his invitation? It would be Remy's first time.

Butterflies tickled his insides. I really want to make love jus' once in my life... "Oui," he whispered, barely audible. "Make love to me?" It was time to conquer his fear; he couldn't let his past rule his life.

Mike's smile sparkled. "Let's move this to the bedroom... we'll be more comfortable there."

Entranced, Remy followed him. Mike's king size bed looked extremely comfortable. His hands shook as he began to unbutton his shirt.

"No, let me do that." Mike caught Remy's hand in his and kissed the knuckles one by one.

Remy was trying hard not to tremble as Mike slipped the shirt off his shoulders after unbuttoning it.

"You're beautiful, Remy," Mike complimented him. The poor kid looked like a deer caught in the headlights with no way out.

"Say no and we'll stop, okay?" After Remy nodded his head, Mike slowly unzipped his jeans. He pulled Remy's briefs down as well when he removed the jeans.

Remy stood naked in front of him and Mike swallowed hard, finding that scars marred the beautiful body. He grabbed the sheet from the bed and wrapped it around Remy. "Why don't you lie down? I'll join you in a sec. I need to get some condoms and lube."

Remy laid down, but continued to tremble uncontrollably. He and Mike were going to make love... An ugly memory tried to lure him into a flashback, but he banished Hugo to the depths of his mind. I don' wanna think 'bout him! I'm wit' Mike now!

When Mike returned he had shed his clothes as well. He placed the condom and Glide on the nightstand and joined Remy in bed. "We're going to take our time, handsome..."

Remy clutched the sheet, biting his lower lip as Mike's hands began to explore his body. He jerked as Mike touched his right nipple, teasing it into hardness.

"Can I remove the sheet, Remy?" Mike concentrated on rolling the now hard nub of flesh between his fingertips. Slowly, his lips descended on Remy's and he kissed him lazily. Remy began to relax and his fist loosened enough for Mike to pull away the sheet. "Do you have any idea how beautiful you are, Remy?"

Shakily, Remy shook his head. "I'm scared... " he admitted.

"You don't have to be afraid. Trust yourself to me, Remy. I won't let you down." Mike waited for Remy's permission to continue his exploration, always keeping in mind that their first time would also be their last time. He wanted to make this as good as possible for Remy.

"Oui," Remy whispered his consent after probing Mike's mind again. The other man was sincere; he wasn't in any danger and it was safe to let go.

"Great..." Mike kissed Remy again, but this time he let his tongue travel down his lover's throat, still further down until it met a hard nipple, which he gently suckled.

"Oh, mon Dieu!" Remy bucked, and tiny tremors of arousal pooled in his groin. He was hard... growing harder still.

"You can touch me too," Mike whispered and guided Remy's hand to rest on his back. The tenderness in Remy's caresses almost made him choke up. How badly had Remy been hurt in the past? Would he be able to deal with the memories or freak out on him? "I like it when you touch me, Remy."

Encouraged, Remy stroked Mike's broad back, marveling at the man's soft skin. Mike moved, placed his knees at either side of his lover's hips and Remy tensed again.

"It's okay, Remy... I just want to touch you... You'll be inside me later when we make love..."

Remy was fighting his tears. Mike's love and affection was pouring into his soul, finally pushing back his fear. He welcomed Mike's tongue as it explored his mouth and raised his hips in want as his lover's fingers first touched his erection. Unable to speak he tried to use his body to tell Mike he really wanted this, but he was still scared, scared of the pain and the memories.

"We both want this, Remy... no one is forcing us to do this. I want to make love with you and you want this as well... we both want this... everything's okay..." Mike felt Remy relax and his tongue left a wet trail down his lover's belly; his destination was Remy's straining erection. "Want to taste you..." Closing his lips around the tip of Remy's cock, he teased the slit with his tongue.

"Non!" Remy abruptly sat upright, pushing Mike away. "You don' have to do dat!"

Mike managed to remain calm and cupped Remy's chin in the palm of his hand. "Someone forced you to go down on them?"

"Oui..." Remy was too embarrassed to look at Mike and kept his eyes pinched shut.

"Remy, I want to do this... I want to taste you. Want to see you squirm with need, to know that I'm the one who's driving you out of your mind..."

Remy finally felt confident enough to open his eyes. Mike was being honest. "Bien... touch me..." Giving Mike permission to proceed was easier than he had thought. Although his erection had faltered, Mike's talented tongue made him hard again. He surrendered to the butterfly kisses, which Mike pressed against his belly, the soft caresses that set his thighs on fire, and he lost himself in the sensations.

Mike smiled, grabbed a condom and opened the small package. With practiced ease he slipped it down Remy's throbbing cock. "You're close, aren't you?"

Remy could only nod his head. His entire body was on fire, demanding release and he yelped softly as Mike took one of his heavy balls into his mouth and then suckled the other. "Please..."

"How do you want to do this?" Mike wanted Remy to call the shots, but seeing the dazed expression in the alien eyes he knew Remy was too close to think coherently. "Okay, I'll make this good for you..." He took hold of the lube and coated Remy's erection generally with the Glide. "Are you ready?"

Remy nodded his head. "Are you sure? You don' have to..."

"But I want to..." Mike leaned in closer, kissed Remy's eyes and then lowered himself on the hard rod of flesh.

Remy gasped, tensed and his eyes grew big. "Chèr... be careful..."

Mike smiled and took in another inch of Remy's cock and another... until his buttocks rested against Remy's skin. He moved a little, then rose and let Remy's cock almost slip out of his body. Remy cried out when he pushed down again. "Remy, are you okay?"

"Oui... Mon Dieu... you're tight... ain' I hurtin' you?"

"No, you feel great..." Mike impaled himself again and set up a rhythm, watching Remy constantly. The younger man was squirming and started to thrust upward. "Yes, that's it... forget about your fear... make love to me, Remy... you can do this... I want you to do this..."

Remy brought up his arms behind Mike's back and pulled him close enough to kiss his lips. "Mon coeur... never felt like dis 'fore... what are you doin' to me?" Unable to hold back any longer, he began to thrust more forcefully, watching Mike slide up and down his cock. "Mike, chèr, mon coeur..."

Mike chuckled and curled his fingers around his own cock. "Remy, you don't know what you do to me..." Pumping himself in the same rhythm as Remy was thrusting, he brought himself to orgasm, shooting his come across Remy's belly.

Remy cried out helplessly as Mike's inner muscle clenched around him. "Oh... oh... Mike... mon Dieu... mon coeur!" Climaxing, he held on to Mike, pulling him close to his chest, burying his face against his lover's shoulder.

Mike wrapped his arms around Remy, clinging to him as well. He shouldn't say the words, knowing this would never happen again, but he did. "I love you, Remy..."

"Je t'aime..." Remy replied, without giving it a second thought. Life was cruel... he had finally found love, but couldn't stay. Staying meant certain death for Mike... Julien was lurking somewhere, waiting for his chance to kill his friends and lovers.

Mike rolled Remy onto his side, until they lay facing each other after Remy's sated sex slipped from his body. "That was my first time on the bottom," he confessed. "Never thought I'd like it that much."

"You did dat for me?" Remy nuzzled the skin beneath Mike's collarbone, only now truly understanding what Mike had done for him. The man was a top and had never bottomed before!

"Let's spend the night together?" Mike asked hopefully.

"Oui," Remy sighed; his eyes were closing and he felt safe in Mike's arms. "Sleep."

Mike smiled, pulled up the comforter to warm their cooling bodies and followed his lover into sleep.

*

Remy freed himself of Mike's embrace and sneaked soundlessly out of bed. After gathering his clothes, he retreated into the living room to get dressed. He didn't want to leave, didn't want to live without Mike, but he didn't have a choice. Julien had already killed Benjamin and Dave and he couldn't take the risk that his nemesis would kill Mike as well.

After getting dressed, he picked up Mike's coat and uncovered the letter, which he wanted to take with him as a constant reminder of the people that he cared about. Maybe he should leave Mike something personal? He removed the small diamond stud from his right ear and placed it on the table. He was tempted to write Mike a goodbye note, but decided against it. It would only add to Mike's pain.

Soundlessly, he left Mike's apartment, never to return again.

*

Waking up, Mike knew at once that he was alone in the room. Remy was gone. Sighing, he sat upright and left the bed.

Listlessly he walked into the living room and immediately noticed the diamond stud on the coffee table. His fingers closed around the stud and he decided that he needed to get his ear pierced so he could wear that stud for the rest of his life.

*

Remy had returned to his penthouse, changed into his armor and pushed all thoughts of Mike out of his mind. He had promised Emile to find the girl and it was time to keep his word. Closing the door behind him, he carried his personal possessions with him in a duffle bag. He wouldn't come back here, couldn't take the risk of running into Mike again.

*

His empathy easily picked up on the Shadowking's hounds and he took up pursuit. Seeing the white-haired girl running for her life, he realized he couldn't turn his back on her. He had to take out the hounds. Moving quickly, he ran toward her, extending his bo staff, charging it and attacked the hounds. A few minutes later he had disposed of them and stared at the little girl in front of him. The things he saw in her eyes and felt in her mind made him dizzy. She wasn't what she appeared to be. He felt an adult inside a child's mind. "Need help, petite?"

She studied him closely. "Maybe."

"Name's Gambit, petite," Remy said, bowing gallantly and kissing her hand.

"I'm Storm..." she introduced herself.

In the distance he felt Lian's presence. Hounds were still searching the area, closing in on them. "We'd betta leave, Stormy..."

"Yes, you're right," she agreed. "Let's leave this place."

*

"Take a breat', chère, we got air!" They struggled to the surface, spitting out the water that had kept them from breathing.

"Nanny... Orphanmaker!" Storm was still panting, sucking oxygen into her abused lungs. She remembered now, remembered who she really was.

Nanny and the Orphanmaker had done their best to capture them, but had failed. Their plane was sinking rapidly behind them.

"Barely able to save our backsides, Stormy. Not even a ghost of a chance to try for dem. Dey don' get out on deir own, dey're still inside de ship. At de bottom of de swamp. Won' hear no sobs from me 'bout dat. Good riddance, I say." Looking at her, he smiled. He had really been worried about her.

"Thank you for the rescue." Storm accepted his help and allowed him to pull her along, away from the crash sight.

"Jus' doin' what comes natural, chère, same as you." How did I come to care dis much 'bout you, Stormy? You're de sister I never had. "We work pretty well toget'er. Be a shame to break up de team when we're jus' gettin' started." He simply wasn't ready yet to let her go and mourn the loss of another friend.

"I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm afraid there is more to this than just you and I." How was she going to tell him that she remembered who she really was?

"You're talkin' different. Voice sounds...older..."

"It is. I am... no longer quite the girl you befriended."

Remy stared deep into her eyes. Oui, 'ways knew dere was somet'in' old hidin' in your mind...

"Tell me, Gambit," Storm started, after making her decision to take Gambit to Westchester. He would make a great addition to the team. "Have you ever heard of a band of mutant heroes called the X-Men?"

end

The last fragment is from the X-Men comic, number 267, Early September. No copyright infringement is intended

Disclaimer: Gambit and X-Men is (c)copyright of Marvel Comics. No copyright infringement is intended.