Title: Night in Shinin' Armour

By artery_break

artery_break@yahoo.com

Rating: R

Disclaimer: Neither are mine

Plot: can't see one yet

Sequel to How to Slay a Dragon. Song is Sade's "By Your Side". Yes, i'm still on the song fic kick.


Night in Shinin' Armour
By artery_break


Remy felt his heart leap into his throat. He wanted to say something to Logan anything, but he couldn't because Logan was kissing him again. Another soft brush of his lips and Remy found himself leaning down further into Logan. Wanting to be as close to Logan as he could possibly get. A sharp hiss and a whimper from Logan caused Remy to pull back. Pain was etched in every line on his face and his eyes were squeezed shut.

"Logan, merde, what's wrong cher?"

Logan's jaw was clenched so tightly Remy heard the muscles crack.

Remy's voice must have woken up Hank because he heard the creak of a chair and Hank was at Logan's side. Hank pushed Remy aside and bent over his patient. Logan began to choke and convulse.

"Professor! I need your assistance!"

Remy looked over to the professor who was now wide-awake and rapidly moving toward Hank.

"What's happened?"

"I believe the worst is not yet behind us. His body is turning on him. Since the heroin was injected into the blood stream his antibodies are attacking healthy blood cells as well as the drug. I was hoping the medication would have helped."

As is to confirm everyone's fears, Logan began spitting up blood. Thick, dark blood that looked more like oil than actual blood. Remy felt his heart and his stomach lurch. He said a silent prayer, hoping that some spiritual being was hearing his whispered plea to keep the man he loved alive.

Hank leapt into action, setting up a blood transfusion. Then, he had Charles and Remy keep Logan's airway clear while he observed a sample of Logan's blood. Remy looked down at his love, now covered in blood and felt the tears spring to his eyes. He didn't let them fall however he had to be strong for Logan. Charles reached across Logan to place his hand on top of Remy's. Remy looked into the man's eyes and saw sympathy and sadness. Then, Remy did something he rarely did he let down his shields and reached out empathically to Charles. The rush of emotions was at first startling to Charles but he soon sorted them out and understood. He felt the love Remy had for Logan and it broke his heart. Remy had so much love for Logan that had been buried deep for so long. Now, he knew that Logan indeed returned his love and that was being stolen from him, with him being powerless to stop it. They were all fighting an invisible enemy now. Hank whirled around in his chair so fast he nearly flew out of it.

"I've got it! It wasn't the heroin, it was the medication! His body is expelling the tainted blood and trying to make way for fresher blood. Since the medication fights the effects of the heroin, Logan's immune system is being overwhelmed and his body is trying to compensate."

Remy tried to process what was being said but couldn't as Logan began coughing even more violently. Hank placed a hand on Remy's arm and pushed him out of the way.


You think I'd leave your side baby?
You know me better than that
Think I'd leave you down
When you're down on your knees?
I wouldn't do that
I'll tell you you're right when you're wrong
Ah, ah, ah, oh, oh, oh, oh
And if only you could see into me

Remy breathed deeply as he choked down the lump in his throat. His back muscles burned and his neck was extremely sore.

Still, he kept his vigil by Logan's side. His cough was lessening and he only shook every once in a while. Hank walked over to the bed and checked Logan's vital signs.

"You know Remy, Logan should be fine now. You should get some sleep." Remy smiled at Hank but shook his head.

"Non, not `til Logan wakes up and Remy sees for himself that he is alright. I'm not leavin' him here alone."

Hank gave Remy an inquisitive look and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"He's going to be okay Remy. Logan is one of the strongest SOB's I've ever known. If he has something to come back to, you can bet that there's no force imaginable that's going to stop him."

Remy let Henry's words sink and blinked back the tears welling in his eyes. He grabbed Hank's hand and gave it a squeeze. "T'ank y' Henri. For lettin' him come back to me."

Henry gave Remy a puzzled look. Remy smiled and let his empathy explain the situation for him. Henry's eyes grew wide and his mouth fell open as he looked from Remy to Logan and back again. Then, he let a shy smile cross his lips as a hard blush flashed across his face.

"I see, congratulations, I guess. I think, what do you say?-"

Remy laughed and shrugged his shoulders.

"Guess congrats gonna have to do for now."

Hank nodded his agreement and turned back to his desk still in a daze. Remy picked up Logan's cold hand and continued his long night.

Ohh, when you're cold
I'll be there
Hold you tight to me

Remy didn't know when he fell asleep but when he woke up, Logan was looking at him through half-lidded eyes. Remy bolted up in his chair and immediately regretted the action as the sharp burn of whiplash pulsed through his neck. He rotated his neck a few times to work out the sting and looked down at Logan. Logan gave him a weak but sincere smile.

"Mornin' sunshine." Logan's voice was hoarse and raspy.

Probably from the constant vomiting he had done most of the night. A quick peek at Henry's computer said it was 11:35, most likely in the morning. Remy smiled and ran his fingers through Logan's thick black hair.

"G'mornin' cher. Nice to see y' joined us here in de land of de livin'. Had Remy scared there, didn't tink I was gonna see y' beautiful scowl again."

Logan smiled and coughed lightly.

"Didn't think I was gonna leave ya behind did ya?"

Remy instantly sobered and a pained look played across his flawless features. Logan frowned wondering what he had said wrong. Remy pulled his bottom lip into his mouth and closed his eyes as a single tear fell down his cheek. Now Logan was really worried. He struggled and finally got into a seated position. He lovingly caressed the side of Remy's face and brought it closer so he could gently kiss his forehead. He wouldn't ask, if Remy wanted him to know then he would tell him. Logan really didn't like wheedling truths out of people, happened to him too many times. Remy slowly opened his eyes and looked up at Logan with lost eyes.

"T' hard. Don' know if I can handle bein' wit y'. Love y' wit all of me but still don' know if dat's enough for y'. Not good enough for y'."

Logan started laughing he couldn't help it.

"Yer not good enough fer me?? Fer fuck's sake Cajun, yer talkin' to a man with a past no one seems to know, not even me. I've made more mistakes in tha last few years than you could possibly hope ta make in a few o' yer lifetimes. Next ta me beautiful, you're a goddamn Mother fuckin' Theresa. Excuse my language."

Logan apologized to the ceiling. Remy smiled then choked out a deep laugh.

When you're on the outside
Baby, and you can't get in
I would show you
You're so much better than you know
When you're lost, you're alone
Can't get back again
I will find you
Darlin' and I'll bring you home

And if you want to cry
I am here to dry your eyes (ooh)
You know time
You'll be fine


Wolverine was miserable everyone knew what it meant when Wolverine was miserable. He would growl and snap at everyone how came near him, except Remy. No one got why yet but Remy had a deep, calming effect on the grumbling wild man. Jubilee commented that Hank should've given Logan distempered shots while he was at it.

They never said why Logan was in the med lab they knew it was no one else's business. Even though he hated it, Remy would dutifully come down to the med lab and sit with Logan. After a few days, Logan was fully recovered and Hank gave him permission to leave the lab not that he need permission in the first place.

Outwardly, Remy was happy that Logan was leaving the lab, but inside his heart was drowning in a flood of doubt. He didn't know if he could handle a relationship with Logan, especially after the whole trial bullshit. Too many tender wounds that could easily be torn open again. Especially when dealing with a man endowed with six inches of unbreakable metal ending in points.

Logan was finally able to leave the lab after receiving a laundry list of "what not to do's" and a few mumblings of "Yeah, I promise."

"Never again"

"Yes, it was a stupid mistake".

After that, it was the professor's turn. "Sorry"

"Won't happen again"

"Stupid Mistake". Now, nothing was on his mind except a good hearty meal with a large helping of Cajun afterwards. Speaking of which, where was that fiery-eyed devil?

Logan hadn't seen him since Hank told him he could finally leave. Wonder how much time I spent talkin' to those two? Logan grabbed Jean as she passed by. "Have y' seen Remy?"

Jean gave him a inquiring look. He seemed to be spending a lot of time with the thief. "I'm pretty sure he's in his room."

"Thanks Red."

Without another word he bounded up the stairs to Remy's room.



Remy was sitting on his bed legs drawn up and his chin on his knees. He felt Logan coming before he even reached the top step. He didn't know how but He and Logan seemed to share an unknown link. They could both `feel' when the other was near. Just a tickle on the back of the neck or a faint scratch on the floor, both always knowing it was the one person they really wanted to see. Remy heard a slight knock at the door. He quietly bade Logan entrance.

Logan opened the door slowly and hesitated just on the other side. He looked nervous and concerned. "Y' alright Remy? Ain't seen you fer a while."

Logan entered the room and let the door click shut behind him. Then he made his way over to the bed and sat next to Remy. "What's wrong darlin'?"

Remy shook his head but Logan knew something was bothering him. He didn't smell right.

"Don't try givin' me no bullshit now. Ya' know ya can't lie ta me. If it's too painful fer ya to talk about, fine, I'll leave now."

Logan stood up to leave but Remy grabbed his arm and stopped him. He pulled Logan back down onto the bed silently. He reached out and ran his hand over Logan's face, never touching his skin to Logan's. The whispered touches continued, down Logan's neck, chest, abs and thighs. Slow, precise, torturous, meant to slowly warm the feral being lying just beneath the surface to an impassioned state of ecstasy. Logan could feel the primal heat rising to the surface and making its desires vocal through a low, throaty growl. A being as old as the man containing it howling for freedom. It could see Remy through Logan's eyes and it wanted him. Wanted to claim the impossibly stunning thief as its own. Make him submit, beg, scream.

Logan growled again, fighting against the animal. Then, Remy upped it a notch, replacing skillful hands with a hot and sinful mouth. Warm, moist heat flowing past thick, full lips onto flushed skin making the beast roar. It was all Logan could take he gave in to the animal and let the haze overcome him.

Remy got a surprise when Logan let out a frustrated snarl and grabbed both of his arms, pulling him up and into an all-devouring kiss. Before his eyes fluttered closed Remy could plainly see the glow of gold in Logan's eyes. The look, the one he got just before he tried to tear your head off. The look that signaled the arrival of the Wolverine. Remy sighed into his lover's mouth and surrendered himself to the will of the Wolverine.

You think I'd leave your side baby?
You know me better than that
Think I'd leave you down
When you're down on your knees?
I wouldn't do that
I'll tell you you're right when you're wrong
Ah, ah, ah, ah, oh, oh, oh
And if only you could see into me

Ohh, when you're cold
I'll be there
Hold you tight to me (to me, yeah)
Ohh, when you're alone
I'll be there
By your side, baby


END