Untitled




New Year's Eve at the LeBeau Residence
By Morgana


Non, I'm not leaving my warm bed! It's still snowing outside and the wind has grown in strength these last few hours. There's absolutely no reason to trade this warm bed for the cold. Hiding deeper beneath the blankets I giggle giddily. I've never been this happy before and I still expect my luck to end suddenly. I'm going to savour every second of this amazing dream!

It's been seven days since Jean-Luc and Henri LeBeau took me in and so much has happened since then that I don't know where to start. My belly's full and I've got a closet filled with warm clothes. The best thing however, is this big four poster bed with all its blankets. I can hide beneath them and they keep me warm. This place is heaven come true! I never thought heaven would let Le Diable Blanc inside its gates!

"Remy! Get up and get dressed! Breakfast's 'most ready. Don' let tante wait!"

I don't know why I'm giggling, but I roll out of bed and get dressed within seconds. It's a joy to wear these warm clothes.

Strolling into the corridor, I can't help but smile, knowing Jean-Luc and tante are already waiting for me in the kitchen. I don't understand why they always wait for my lazy ass to join them, as I'm always the last one at the kitchen table.

Biting down a cough, I hope I won't have another coughing fit this morning. Tante has the most horrific tasting medicine to cure my cough and I refuse to drink more of it. I stop in my tracks in the doorway, watching the domestic scene. I've never been with people who are as much at ease as they are. "Mornin'," I whisper, officially announcing my arrival. They look up, smile and seek out my gaze. I immediately lower my eyes; it's an old engrained reflex that I can't seem to shake.

"Petit, come here." Jean-Luc gestures towards the chair next to him. "Did you sleep bien? Did you have any nightmares? I don' t'ink I heard you scream last night."

"No nightmares," I admit and move shyly toward him, sitting down next to Jean-Luc.

"Petit, you can look at me. I told you 'fore not to be afraid. Remy?"

His pleading tone gets to me and I hesitantly lock eyes with him. "I don' understand, m'sieur. Why do you want to look at Le Diable Blanc's eyes? No one else does." I've been called names since I hit the streets; mutant trash, devil spawn, demon, mutant whore... I've heard them all. My eyes always give me away. I tried wearing sun glasses for some time, but they came off during a fight and the verbal abuse started all over again. So I stayed away from people and learned to make myself invisible when someone was close.

"You're eyes are unique, petit. Don' hide dem from me."

"Non, m'sieur, you're wrong." A week ago I wouldn't have dared to object, but I've learned to read the man. Jean-Luc LeBeau isn't one of those perverts who are only looking for a quick fuck. During this last week he somehow managed to convince me that he honestly wants to take care of me, yet I don't know why he wants to protect me. Why pick a mutant street rat?

Jean-Luc's hand unexpectedly touches my chin and I flinch, but don't pull away from the touch. I've seen... and felt... Jean-Luc's hurt when I pulled away those first times he touched me. I don't want to pry at his feelings, but my charm is making it hard to look the other way. Somehow I feel his intentions, his emotions and that never happened before. I feel his hurt, his sorrow, his happiness and it confuses the hell out of me.

Tante Mattie places a filled plate in front of me, admonishing me to eat everything, but I can only stare into Jean-Luc's eyes. Why do I feel connected to him? I never felt like I belonged with someone, but I feel like I belong here in this household, with tante, Jean-Luc and Henri and I don't understand it. Tears sneak into my eyes and I want to wipe them away before they can surface, but Jean-Luc stops me.

"Don', Remy. Sometimes a man needs to cry, to let go of de past and de demons."

"De... mons?" I'm stuttering and hate myself for showing this weakness. "I'm Le Diable Blanc!" Jean-Luc must understand! He'll throw me out onto the streets once he understands, but I can't abuse his generosity like this!

"You're no demon, petit. You're a mutant, born with different eyes, dat's all. You're no demon."

Suddenly Jean-Luc's arms are around me and I hear tante leave the kitchen to give us a moment alone. His strong arms rock me; pull me off my chair and onto his lap. I struggled the first time he held me, but I can accept his closeness now, knowing he won't hurt me like the others. My arms sneak up behind his broad back and I cling to him for the emotional support I never got before. "Mais M'sieur... jus' look at my eyes!"

"Dey have de color of de risin' sun, petit. Dere's strengt' in dem. Dey are beau, Remy. You're not Le Diable Blanc; don' believe dat. People fear what dey don' understand and dey fear your powers."

I want to believe him; I really do, but can't. I've been called that name too many times to do away with it now. "I'm sorry, m'sieur." My hair falls in front of my face, hiding the solitary tear that makes its way down my cheek.

"Remy..."

He wants me to call him poppa, or père, but I can't do that. He has to gain my complete trust first; he has to earn that title. "Sorry, m'sieur."

Jean-Luc sighs. "Eat your breakfast, mon fils and den join me in de salon."

The salon? I love that room; love the Christmas tree inside it! Last night I stared at all the lights and dozed off, dreaming pleasantly for a change. I wish that tree could always stay there! "Oui, m'sieur." Jean-Luc releases me and I climb back onto my chair. While eating breakfast I wonder why he wants me to join him. "Did I do somet'in' wrong, m'sieur?"

"Non, Remy, you didn' do anyt'in' wrong." Jean-Luc rises from his chair. "And bring your coat, petit."

"My coat?" Curiosity makes me look up and his smile takes me aback.

"Oui, your coat," Jean-Luc repeats patiently.

As he moves toward the doorway I wonder what kind of trouble I'm in. Jean-Luc might have said that I didn't do anything wrong, but... Oh, Mon Dieu! He's going to throw me out! My fork drops from my fingers and I start to shake. Jean-Luc finally realized that he took in a street rat and he now wants me to leave. It hurts. I almost managed to convince myself that I could stay here.

My appetite's gone and I push the still half-full plate away from me. I better get my shoes and coat and leave on my own before he can throw me out, but wait! Those shoes and the coat aren't mine! They're Jean-Luc's. Taking them means I'm stealing. Oui, I stole before, but Jean-Luc has been good to me and I don't want to steal from him!

I slip from my chair and after making sure tante isn't near, I sneak back to my temporary room. I know that my old clothes are gone. Jean-Luc told me tante destroyed them so I can't change back into them and I don't want to roam the streets naked so I'll steal the clothes I'm wearing now. Tormented, I stare at the shoes. Should I take them? It's still snowing and I won't last long without them. "I'll pay you back, m'sieur," I promise, having no idea how I can ever repay him!

What about the coat? It'll keep me warm, but the other kids will grow envious and take it away from me. I decide to leave it and grab a warm sweater instead. Fighting back hot tears, I make my way to the front door and gently close it behind me. The cold assaults me and I start coughing again. Although my lungs have begun to improve, they're deteriorating again because of the cold.

"Where do I go now?" Looking about, I try to remember my hide outs, but they are too far away. I won't last long coughing like that this! But I don't have a choice and I walk slowly away from Jean-Luc's home. "Merci, m'sieur, mais you should have let me die on your doorstep!

*

Hours later, my feet refuse to co-operate any longer and I crumble against a wall, sliding down until my butt hits the freezing pavement. It's a fairly busy street as people are still shopping, preparing for New Year's Eve. I manage to raise my frozen right hand, hoping they will feel generous tonight. "Please, m'dam, ms'ieur, mebbe you have some change to spare?" I begged before and know they won't tolerate me for long. Soon the cops will show up. If I didn't feel this frozen I would pick their pockets, but frozen fingers make that too risky. I have to beg instead.

The cold seeps into my clothes, invades my skin and permeates my bones. I've got to get moving again or I'll freeze to death! Panic surges through me, realizing I'm unable to move. I don't even have the strength to release another cough that would aid my troubled breathing and free my tormented lungs. So is this the end? Jean-Luc only postponed the inevitable for a few days!

My frozen eyelids slip shut and the tears become crystals in my eyes. I don't put up a fight, knowing I can't escape my fate. Maybe I will find some peace in death!

*

"Ai, Remy! Why did you run 'way? Petit, look at me, talk to me! Tante, we need to take him home at once. He's barely breathin' and his lips are blue. Tante, Henri, we can' waste any time. We've got to move now!"

Huh? I know that voice. What's Jean-Luc doing here? Or is this Death's way to make things easier on me? Is this one last sweet dream? Oui, Jean-Luc came for me in my dreams and he'll keep me warm. Merci, m'sieur, for making these last seconds bearable. Losing consciousness I give in to oblivion.

*

The first thing I become aware of is a warm cocoon around me. My fingers explore the fabric and I recognize the fragrance of the potpourri tante places in every room. I'm back at the LeBeau's mansion! My eyes open slowly and I try to focus on my surroundings. Oui, this is the room Jean-Luc assigned to me and this is the four poster bed I've grown fond of. Does this mean he followed me?

"Père? De petit's 'wake."

Henri... Looking to my right, I find him sitting in a comfortable chair next to my bed. How long has he been sitting there? "I'm sorry..."

"Don' be sorry, petit." Henri leans in closer. "Jus' stop runnin' 'way. You scared us, Remy."

I scared them? What is he talking about? "T'ought you wanted me gone," I whisper, confused.

"I wanted to take you for a short walk, Remy," Jean-Luc explains as he enters the room. "I needed to pick up some t'ings for tonight and I hoped you'd like to join me for dat shoppin' trip. And dere's your belated Christmas present I was supposed to pick up." Jean-Luc reaches the bed and sits down on its side. "Remy, I want you here. Henri and tante want you here. Why run 'way?"

My face's flushed and feels hot. "T'ought you didn' want me no more."

"Cause I told you to get your coat?" A look of utter disbelief appears on Jean-Luc's face. "Remy, tell me what I need to do to convince you dat I want you here."

"Don' know, m'sieur." I lower my eyes and my fingers fumble the blanket. Henri and Jean-Luc are looking at me and I wish the floor would open and swallow me. I can't bear the look in their eyes. What are they thinking? What are they feeling? I can find out, providing I use my charm to spy on them, but I don't want to invade their privacy.

"Mon fils," Jean-Luc says softly. "You can' run away from the LeBeau's. Henri and I will find you no matter where you go. You belong here. You're family, mon fils. I know dat may be hard to accept, mais it's de trut'."

I hate crying, but I can't stop myself and big tears flow down my face. I shouldn't be crying! I'm not a baby!

"Remy, mon fils, make me a very happy man and promise to stay. Don' ever run 'way 'gain?" Jean-Luc's hand opens, palm upwards, extending it in love and friendship.

I tentatively place my hand in his and am struck by the fact how tiny my hand seems against his. "I promise, m'sieur."

Jean-Luc sighs relieved. "Bien, and mebbe you'll learn to call me poppa too."

Hesitantly, I meet his eyes and smile. "I can stay?"

"Oui, petit. Dis is your home." Jean-Luc smiles. "Why don' you rest for now? Hopefully you'll feel better tonight so you can join us to greet de new year."

At a loss, I stare into his eyes. They really want me to stay! My eyes close due to exhaustion and I give in to my fatigue, dozing off. The last thing I hear are Jean-Luc's whispered words.

"Sleep tight, petit."

*

"Are you warm 'nough, Remy?" Tante smiles, cocks her head and hums contently.

"Oui, tante, I'm bien." It's the truth. I'm tucked safely between Henri and Jean-Luc and their body heat keeps me warm. We're sitting on a bench on the balcony, watching the fireworks as the citizens of New Orleans try to drive away the evil spirits by launching the most beautiful fireworks I've seen. It's even more special now that I have a warm bed to sleep in and people close who care about me.

Jean-Luc checks if the blankets are still tightly tucked around me and I lean against Henri for support. I still feel weak from the stunt I pulled, but at least now I know they really want me. "C'est beau," I whisper, breathlessly, as another magnificent explosion lights up the sky. Jean-Luc's hand strokes my hair and I relax, feeling the older man's contentment at having me close.

"We should go 'side," Jean-Luc says softly. "You still need to unpack your belated Christmas present."

That's another thing I don't understand. Why is Jean-Luc so intent on giving me a Christmas present? He gave me so much already! Clothes, food, a home! That's all I want!

We stay on the bench for a few more minutes until the fireworks grow less. Jean-Luc moves slowly, giving me a chance to monitor his movements and I don't flinch when his hands slip beneath my knees and back, lifting me in his arms. He carries me inside and my eyes tear up again, seeing the Christmas tree and the large gift wrapped box beneath it. "You don' have to buy me presents, m'sieur!"

"I want to give dis to you, petit." Jean-Luc walks over to the Christmas tree.

He puts me down on the floor, checks the blankets again and only then allows me to lean in closer to look at the box, which is... moving? "M'sieur?"

"Life at de LeBeau household can be lonely," Jean-Luc whispers. "You'll need a companion."

I free my hands from the blankets and cautiously reach for the box. It moves again; is it safe to open it? Jean-Luc nods his head encouragingly and I open the box. Soft whimpers escape from inside the box and breathlessly I lean in closer.

A puppy with a warm fur and mischievous eyes stares back at me. A wet tongue travels across my hand and I carefully pick him up, bringing him close to my chest. The puppy's tongue now laps at my face, whimpering softly.

"M'sieur!" I stare at Jean-Luc in disbelief. I never had a pet before! The puppy squirms in my arms, rolls itself onto his back and I can't resist rubbing its tummy.

"He's yours, Remy. You'll feed him, walk him and make sure he's bien." Jean-Luc strokes the puppy's head as well.

Lost for words, I continue to rub his warm tummy until the puppy jumps back to his feet and that lethal tongue laps at my nose.

"I can' believe..." I wrap my arms around the puppy and it struggles briefly, before giving in and letting itself be cuddled.

"He needs a name, Remy," Henri says, pleased that they picked the perfect gift.

Warm and wet puppy dog kisses cover my face and I giggle, trying to subdue the enthusiastic puppy. "A name?" The little rascal can't sit still and is now chasing its tail, making me laugh. Oh, it feels so good to laugh! I almost forgot how great it feels to be happy! It's a magical moment. "I know a name! Bisou!" This little pup enchanted me with his wild licks and kisses and he now snuggles up to me, quickly losing his energy and falling asleep. This bundle of energy will exhaust me!

"It's a longhaired Pyrenean Shepherd," Jean-Luc says, smiling at the puppy. "Dey grow extremely attached to deir owner, Remy."

"Oui, m'sieur." I understand. Jean-Luc's making sure that I won't run away again. And he's right! How can I ever leave this puppy behind? Cradling it close to me, I softly hum one of tante's melodies. "Merci, m'sieur."

Jean-Luc simply smiles, leans back in the chair and watches me cuddle the puppy. This is the best New Year's Eve I ever had!


The end