More Than the X Can See

An Alternate Universe Uncanny X-men Story

By L Stoffey

SaraFimm8868@yahoo.com

Rating: NC-17

Fandom: Alternate Universe Uncanny X-Men

Pairings: (Wolverine) Logan/Doctor Green (created original character), (Cable) Nathan Summers/Doctor Green, +??? (Further info as added)

Warnings: NC-17 for: General Sex, Heterosexual Sex, F/F Sex, Language, Violence (what do you expect with a guy with adamantium covered claws), Light BDSM, +??? (Further warnings as necessary will be posted at beginning of chapters.)

Archive: Yes, please contact me to let me know

Feedback: This is my very first fan fiction story so tell me what I’m doing wrong (or right!), please. Thank you.

AUTHOR NOTE: ALL CHARACTERS FOUND IN MARVEL COMICS NOT OWNED BY ME, NOT MAKING ANY MONEY OFF THIS IMAGINARY STORY, NO RESEMBLANCE TO LIVING OR DEAD, ETC. YADDA YADDA YADDA / BLAH BLAH BLAH … ESSENTIALLY, DON’T SUE I HAVE NO MONEY!!



More Than the X Can See
by L Stoffey


"I don’t want to have to tell either of you again that fighting will not be tolerated," Professor Charles Xavier said sternly in his crisp British accent to the two teenage boys sitting in chairs in front of his large mahogany desk. The Professor as the students knew him was a bald man in his late sixties, although many of the children and some of the teachers weren’t quite sure which decade he belonged to, his demeanor was that of a much younger person despite his use of a cane. "Now go, Logan is waiting for you."

As the two boys left, Jean Summers walked into his office. Her athletic frame wore the gray Xavier Institute t-shirt and jean shorts well. Her long red hair swept up in a ponytail made the high cheekbones in her delicate face more prominent and accentuated her green eyes. "They’ve been at it again, haven’t they?" she asked as she closed the door. There was a Fedex envelope under her arm.

"Yes," Charles sighed, "Kevin has trouble keeping his opinions to himself and the other students are getting tired of it. Philip decided he was going to do something about it but, fortunately, Scott stopped the fight before it got out of hand."

Jean shook her head sending her ponytail swinging, "What have you decided to do?"

"For the moment, Logan will give them something else to think about. I’d hoped Kevin would grow out of it."

"So far it doesn’t look like that’ll happen anytime soon."

"Regrettably. Sit down, Jean, " he said, as he waved to one of the chairs the two boys had just vacated. "Is that another application in your hands?" he said enthusiastically, changing the subject. "With all the personnel requests I’m getting from the X-Corporation, the need for new teachers is escalating."

"It’s a good thing that summer is nearly here. It’ll give you more time to find qualified teachers for the Institute." She handed him the Fedex envelope.

"I’ll need it," he agreed and ripped the tab off the envelope and glanced at the contents inside. "Ah, Doctor Angelique Green. I was wondering if she would reply to our employment notice." He glanced at Jean, "She was the one I had trouble reading even with the telepathic augmentation from Cerebra." Jean looked intrigued as he opened the envelope and pulled out the contents, a cover letter on pale blue stationery and a letter size folder, two hole punched on one side. He handed Jean the cover letter as he flipped open the folder and perused the contents. His eyebrows rose as he flipped through the papers, "Her expertise varies over a wide spectrum. Here she provides proof of a Doctorate in Physics, Master in Biology and Architectural Design. Plus she’s enclosed paperwork asserting that she has applied for certification as a Dance and Music instructor."

Jean held up the letter, "Here it states she quit working at the Research and Development Department at Lawrence Livermore Labs in California two years ago and she took a part-time position at U C Berkeley after getting her teaching credentials." Jean handed the paper to Charles, "She wants full-time employment."



Chapter 2
"I’ll expect your theses on my desk by five o’clock Friday. If not, expect a reduction in your grade," Doctor Angelique Green informed her students in dismissal as she placed her laptop into a padded blue satchel.

Jean Summers and her husband, Scott, stood up from their seats at the rear of the lecture hall and walked towards the front of the class as it cleared of students.

"Doctor Green?" Scott said as they approached.

Doctor Angelique Green was an attractive woman around five and a half feet tall. Her curvy frame filled out, to Scott’s masculine eyes, a long sky blue summer dress perfectly. Her golden blonde hair was in a long thick French braid that ended in a matching blue clip below her hips. "Yes? How can I help you, Mr. …?" her voice was a mellow soprano. As she looked up, Scott noticed she had hazel eyes.

"Summers," Scott supplied as he held out his hand, "Scott Summers. And this is my wife, Jean Summers," he introduced Jean as she also held out her hand.

"Hello," Doctor Green shook their hands, "How can I help you two?" Doctor Green looked from him to Jean. Scott Summers was a tall man, his brown hair had a slight touch of gray and even though Angelique had to look up more than nine inches at him, she still couldn’t see under his red tinged designer sunglasses at his eye color. She was able to look eye to eye with Jean Summers who was a beautiful woman with bright red hair and green eyes. They were both physically fit like they worked out at a gym and looked good in the gray pants and polo shirts they wore. Angelique noticed the logo on the upper left of their shirts read Xavier Institute for Higher Learning. Mr. Summers held a thin briefcase in his left hand.

Now that he was up close, Scott could tell that Doctor Green looked to be about 30 years old, younger than they had expected and much more attractive to his surprise. "We’re not students," he explained. "We’d like to talk to you. We’re from the Xavier Institute."

"Oh!" Doctor Green’s eyes widened. "Well, um. I think we’d better leave the campus then." She looked around at the last few college students chatting near the door. "Gossip spreads like wildfire here. Have you eaten lunch yet? There’s a nice local restaurant downtown."

"No, we haven’t eaten and that would be wonderful," Jean said pleasantly.

"Then let me put my tote in the car and you can follow me." Doctor Green smiled. "By the way, call me Angel."

Scott smiled, "Then you’ll have to call us Scott and Jean." Jean nodded as they followed Angel out of the lecture hall.

"Here we are," Angel said smiling as she met them in the restaurant parking lot. "You didn’t have any problems following me did you?" she asked anxiously.

"No problem whatsoever," Scott smiled.

"So, what are the facilities like at the Institute?" she asked. "What are the ages and grades of the students?"

"Actually, we have a waiver you’ll have to sign before we can discuss the more informational aspects of the Institute," Scott said raising the same briefcase in his hand a bit.

"A waiver?" Angel’s eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"Yes," Jean explained, "At the Institute we like to preserve our privacy and the privacy of our charges. Anything we tell you will have to be held in the strictest confidentiality."

Angel frowned, "I’d never heard of the Xavier Institute until I received the hiring notice from the employment agency. I know I sent my resume packet to a post office box in New York as I was instructed. So I assumed that the Institute was in the eastern states if not New York itself."

"You’re correct. The Institute is back East," Scott said and motioned to the restaurant with his free hand. "Once we’re inside, we’ll have you sign the waiver and ask you a few questions about your background."

"Okay," Angel said nodding agreeably the frown having left her face, "I can understand privacy issues. I have no problem with that."

They entered the restaurant, Scott asked for a table in the corner and the hostess obliged them. After they placed their orders with the waitress, Scott got out the waiver in his briefcase and handed Angel a pen. While Angel read the waiver and signed it, Jean and Scott shared a knowing glance and then looked around the restaurant. They noticed there were enough patrons to help keep Angel from creating a scene, but not enough to fill the tables near them.

Angel handed the pen and waiver back to Scott. He checked her signature, put the waiver in his briefcase, then took out the folder Angel had sent to the Institute.

"According to this you have a Doctorate in Physics," he stated.

"That’s right," she replied.

"You also have a Master in Biology and Architectural Design."

"Yes," she smiled, "I took one major and two minors at Stanford."

Jean entered the conversation, "I noticed you included the certification applications for Music and Dance Instructor. Have you received your Certificates?"

"I will have them by the end of this semester. With my experience I was able to challenge most of the classes. I’ve been a member of Free Danz, a local multicultural troupe, since I was five," She explained. "That information is listed on my resume also. The manager of the troupe was considering hiring me as an assistant when I started certification. Then the economy collapsed, she lost a lot of students and had to withdraw the offer."

"Does your semester end at the beginning of June?" Scott asked.

"Yes, Berkeley is a state run facility so it follows the normal school year."

The waitress brought their main course. And they were silent for a time as they ate.

Jean used her telepathy to try to get past Angel’s defenses and read her mind, but slammed into an impenetrable wall. Jean continued to do her best without revealing her presence to Angel who seemed oblivious to her attempts. *Scott,* she contacted her husband telepathically, *I can’t get into her mind.*

Scott paused in raising his fork to his mouth. *What do you mean?* he asked back through their mental link.

*I can’t get through at all,* Jean frowned at him. *It’s like she has an adamantium wall up. I can’t even begin to dent it. In fact, I keep feeling like my attempts are just sliding off, being pushed away.*

"Is there something wrong with the food?" Angel asked worriedly looking from Scott to Jean and back.

Scott recovered first and put his fork down. "No. Not a thing. It’s quite delicious," he assured her. "I was just thinking, if you have been with a dance troupe for what, twenty years, aren’t you worried about moving to the East Coast?"

"No, not really," Angel replied. "I feel it’s a good time to break away. I’ve been thinking of moving for a while. The silicon industry really drove this area and when the dust settled after the crash, it brought down the local economy too. Employment opportunities have become scarce. I have a lot of friends who have had to take pay cuts with longer hours just to keep their current jobs. A lot of people are overqualified for the employment that is available and the competition’s fierce. I think moving out of California would be a good experience for me. I’d been checking out the employment opportunities in the Midwest when I received the notice from Xavier."

"What about friends or family?" asked Jean.

"Most of my friends and I have lost touch since I left Livermore Labs," she said sadly. "And I’ve spent so much time these past two years just trying to get my life back on track, that I haven’t had the time to cultivate new friendships here in Berkeley.

"As for family," she sighed, "my parents died in a car crash five years ago. The rest of the family is spread out in different cities across California, none of us are that close."

"Sorry to hear about your parents," Jean said sympathetically.

"It was five years ago and I’ve made peace," she said. She turned to Scott, "Please, tell me about the Institute."

"The Xavier Institute for Higher Learning is in Westchester County, New York," Scott began. "The students range from late grammar to high school."

"I have no problem teaching adolescents and young adults," Angel smiled. "I specifically mentioned in my packet that I was looking for a younger student level than my current position. Which subjects were you considering I teach?"

"We’re mainly looking for someone who can teach the sciences. Biology, Chemistry, Physics are all under consideration, but we have a limited staff and you may be required to teach other fields of study," he answered.

"Such as?" she inquired.

"Mathematics." Jean supplied.

"History," Scott added.

"That sounds perfectly fine to me. I have no problem with those subjects." Angel said. "What did you mean by a limited staff?"

"We are receiving new students on a semi-regular basis," Scott said. "As you can tell, the Institute is very selective in recruiting employees. It notifies those in which it is interested and doesn’t advertise publicly."

Jean spoke up, "Because of this we don’t have as many educators on staff as we’d like. This may necessitate your taking over a class or two for a short time while the other staff is ill or away."

"I’m flattered, but I don’t understand this," Angel was confused. "My qualifications are in no way above par. I just recently received my credentials as a teacher last year. I believe you may have come to California under a misunderstanding. I have very little experience and you want me to teach children who are gifted?" Angel leaned back in her chair. "Hiring me may be a disservice to the Institute. I’m afraid I’ll have to turn the offer down."

"We are always looking for new talent. A teacher with your special abilities may be invaluable to our team of professionals." Jean said cryptically.

"What ‘special abilities’?" Angel asked. "You could find hundreds of educators to fill your requirements."

Scott and Jean shared a look and they both leaned forward. "The Xavier Institute only educates children with ‘special gifts’ … those gifts are mutations," Jean said quietly.

"Mutants?" Angel looked startled. Then she quietly asked, "The Xavier Institute only teaches mutant children? Why? Why only mutants?"

"The Institute is a facility that has been designed specifically to help educate children with mutations of all kinds. It is still necessary for them to get the education that all children need. But they also must receive the special care to learn to control and understand the powers that they have been given by no choice of their own. Especially if they are to function as adults in the public eye," Scott explained.

"But what about the government? They’re still trying to decide..."

"The general public sentiment towards mutants is being swayed by politicians and the media constantly from one side of the pendulum to the other," Jean broke into Angel’s train of thought. "But the Xavier Institute has always maintained a strict code of privacy. It also has several contingency plans should the government become hostile to those with special gifts."

The table fell silent as the waitress came up and cleared away the main course. She asked if they wanted dessert. When Angel declined, Jean and Scott did too. Jean and Scott shared a concerned look; they hoped their trip had not been in vain.

"All of the students are … gifted?" Angel asked.

"Yes," Jean smiled. "Including some of the staff. This is not a place to hide children away. The Institute is for Learning first and foremost. Tolerance of others differences is a high priority also. Scott, please get out the brochure the Professor sends out to prospective families." Scott reached into the briefcase and took out a booklet that he handed to Angel. "As you can see by the pictures, there are no tall gates or fences except at the entrance and perimeter of the property. It’s a vast estate that encompasses several miles of land surrounding the main building. We have a full facility with separate dorm rooms for the students and private rooms for the staff. There is a cafeteria and a large common room on the main floor on one side of the lobby area and classrooms on the other side. The Institute is open all year. If you decide to join our staff, you will be teaching approximately 15-30 students in each class. Even Professor Xavier, the founder of the school, teaches classes in the social sciences including psychology and literature."

"It’s a bit overwhelming," Angel said, still looking at the booklet. "I’ll really have to think about this. I would need to make sure my teaching credentials still qualified in the state of New York."

"Don’t worry," Scott assured her, "as a private facility, you can fulfill any requirements once you’ve moved in and had time to get acquainted with the unique atmosphere the Institute provides. Professor Xavier will be glad to answer any questions you may have." He waved at their waitress.

The waitress came over and Scott settled the bill.

"You can keep the booklet," Scott said and used a pen to put a phone number on the back. "This is the phone number to call if you are still interested in the position. If you don’t get someone from the Institute on the phone, it forwards to an answering service. Leave a message as to what time and number you can be contacted at and someone will call you back at your convenience to answer any questions you may have. If you do decide to take the position, please tell us the first day you are available so we can make travel arrangements for you."

Jean used her napkin to wipe her mouth and placed it on the table. "It was nice meeting you, " she said as she stood up and held out her hand. Angel shook her hand and then turned to Scott.

"It really was nice meeting you and we hope you come to a positive decision," he said, shaking her hand. "We really think you’d make a great addition to our staff."

"Thank you," Angel replied, looking a little stunned and overwhelmed.

Scott and Jean left the restaurant and walked back to their rental car. "Do you think she’ll take the job?"

"I don’t know. I hope so. Like I told you, I couldn’t get into her mind so she’s definitely gifted," Jean whispered. "I need to call the Professor right away."



Chapter 3
"And that’s the end of our tour," Professor Xavier said in his crisp British accent to Doctor Angelique Green as they stopped at the bottom of the stairs to the main entrance to the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning. When she had met him earlier that day, he had already hung up his suit jacket on the back of his office chair and was working at his desk in shirtsleeves rolled up to his elbows.

"Thank you, Professor," she said looking out over the children playing in the gardens in front of the mansion become school. Angelique had decided that for first impressions it was best if she wore a serious looking navy business skirt suit with her blond hair in a thickly braided coil at the back of her head. She was beginning to regret the suit jacket in the growing heat of the New York summer. "You’ve really maximized the space you have available. Are you planning on adding any more buildings?"

"Yes, eventually. We’re still in the planning stages."

"If I stay you may want to run the architect’s drawings past me. I could proof it for you," she told him helpfully.

"Or you could just make them for me," he replied. "I understand you are qualified to do so."

"Yes, I am," she admitted, "but it is still legally advisable to have a professional architect create the original drawings and advise you of the local permits necessary."

"Ah, yes. The legalities," he nodded.

"Speaking of which, have you had the grounds checked for child safety? I believe I saw some severe violations…"

He held up a hand and assured her, "Considering the nature of our school and its inhabitants, safety has been a priority but we have been dealing with them on a case to case basis. We’ve had several walk-throughs by government social inspectors to ensure that we are up to code."

"I see." She said unbelievingly. She looked up as her eye caught motion in the sky.

Hanging up his hi-tech cell phone, a blond, blue-eyed Adonis with large white wings flew over the grounds and landed next to them. He wore an armored red bodysuit that left his arms free and the lower half of his arms and legs were covered in a gray metallic armor. His red-gloved hands attached his cell phone to an empty place on his utility belt. Angelique noticed that the belt wasn’t attached to the bodysuit it was attached to piece of white leather that stretched across his hips and had a flap that hung straight down from the gold X circled by a gold O belt buckle down to his knees. She realized the white leather made her think of Old Testament loincloths, combined with the wings, the effect made him look even more like a one of the Holy Warriors of God.

"Good Afternoon," the Adonis flashed Angelique a whiter than white smile. He folded his wings behind him and nodded at Professor Xavier.

"Good Afternoon, Warren, let me introduce you to our new teacher, Doctor Angelique Green," the Professor said indicating the pretty blonde woman standing next to him. "Doctor Green this is Warren Worthington, III."

Doctor Green shook hands with him, "Good Afternoon." Up close, she recognized the winged man from news programs on television. He used to have blue skin, but a recent news blurb had sensationalized the fact that he was back to normal human skin tones and looking even more like the handsome Archangel that was his signature name.

"What would you be teaching, Doctor Green?" Warren asked. Taller than Angelique at six feet, his boots and folded wings gave him even more height making him seem to tower over her.

"That depends upon the Professor," she said looking up at him. "I’m qualified to teach in several subjects including Physics and Biology."

"That’s excellent. I—" his cell phone began to ring, "Excuse me." He pulled the phone from his belt and looked at the number. "I have to take this," he said apologetically. "I’m very happy to meet you, Doctor. I look forward to talking to you later." He nodded to the Professor and turning away flipped open his cell phone. He started up the stairs and entered the main building of the Institute. "Hello? Yes, I need to know the figures for…"

"You must excuse, Warren," the Professor said to Doctor Green. "He has a lot of things on his mind right now."

"A very busy man," she acknowledged watching Warren retreat from them totally engrossed in his phone call. "I didn’t know he was part of the your organization. I’ve seen him on television a few times. He’s taller in person."

"The wings add height," the Professor agreed trying to judge her reaction to an obvious mutant like Warren.

"I thought he had his own corporation," she said with a perplexed frown.

"Worthington Enterprises," the Professor supplied. "W. E. helps to fund the Xavier Institute and it’s interests. He’s been on assignment and now that he’s back, he’s catching up on his administrative duties."

She turned to the Professor, "Jean told me that some of your staff included mutants. He’s one of the more obvious." What he had said sunk in, "What do you mean ‘he’s been away on assignment’?"

"The Xavier Institute is also part of the X-Corporation. The X-Corporation maintains some facilities here for the education of mutants who want to join an elite association of professionals trained in the handling of mutant and human affairs. Warren is one of those professionals."

Confused, Angelique said, "I thought the Xavier Institute was only a school for children."

"The Xavier Institute is an educational facility," He corrected. "We train mutant children to understand and use their mutant abilities responsibly and when they turn eighteen, they have the same choices facing every other student who graduates from high school. They must continue their education through college or try to find employment in the real world. The facilities provided by the X-Corporation help us to not only train the children, but to also provide these select young adults with the knowledge and more intensive training of their mutant abilities that is required should they decide to join the X-Corporation."

"I didn’t realize I was being hired by the X-Corporation," Angelique said.

"You were hired as an educator, Doctor Green," He assured her. "Your last employment was at a college. Although the majority of your students here will be between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, I didn’t think you would mind if some of your students were closer to college age."

"I don’t, it’s just that I wish you had been more specific over the telephone. I was led to believe I would just be teaching at a school for gifted children."

"All the children here are gifted, Doctor Green," He smiled. "So are most of the adults."

She smiled back, "It’s nice to know that you’ve provided positive role models like Mr. Worthington for your students. The media has a tendency to put mutants in a bad light."

Turning serious, Professor Xavier said, "That is one of the things the X-Corporation has been trying to deter, unfortunately, sensationalism sells better than the truth. Recently, the governments of several countries have requested the help of the X-Corporation staff to assist in detaining mutant criminals, which allows us more control in how the media portrays mutants. This resulted in many of the professional staff being sent on assignments. That is where you come in."

"Now I understand why the Institute would need to hire more educators when there are so many adults on the premises."

"Many of the adults you’ve seen are actually here as part of the many X-Corporation taskforces. Some of them have also been doubling as teachers, but should the need arise, they would have to leave and the children’s education is sometimes compromised. Many of our professionals are qualified to teach and it is only recently that we need dedicated educators. We started advertising in January, but because we are looking for a special quality in our staff, we haven’t been able to consider many of the applicants."

"Oh," she said surprised, "I really don’t consider my ability to teach all that special, especially since I haven’t been teaching for all that long. I would think there are more qualified educators available."

"We had a great many applicants, but because of the nature of our facility, many of them turned us down because they didn’t want to work with mutants."

"You said many, weren’t there any who did want to work with mutants?"

"Several, but they were turned down after meeting with Scott and Jean Summers. Jean is a telepath and she searched for the motives that were guiding these applicants. Most of them just wanted to use our Institute for their own personal gain by publishing books or research from their time here. Very few of them wanted to make a career out of working at the Institute."

"What about the few who did qualify?"

"They had problems dealing with the diverse mutations that reside in our staff and in the children."

"What types of problems? I haven’t seen anything that would alarm me or make me uncomfortable."

"Maybe that is because you are a mutant yourself or maybe it is because of your own mutant ability. It’s some sort of radar, isn’t it?"

Understanding dawned on Angel’s face, "I thought there was more to this than met the eye. When did you know I was a mutant?"

"I’m a telepath myself and I personally search out each and every qualified applicant before I send the Summers to do the interviews. When I tried to enter your mind, I knew you were a mutant. The amount of information you receive wouldn’t allow me into your mind to find out anything about you. I was curious so I sent the Summers to meet with you. Jean also tried to probe your mind, but even up close her ability swamped and she couldn’t do what I had tried. They had known that it might be the case when they went out to California so they decided to see how you reacted to their own mutations and the offer to work with other mutants. If you were prejudice or had a bad ‘reaction’ to other mutants around you, she would have identified it and advised me not to hire you. This facility is for the benefit of the children and our goal of peaceful co-existence with humankind. When Jean and Scott left Berkley they were afraid you were going to turn down our offer and we were pleasantly surprised that you accepted."

"Over the years, Professor," Angel said with a small smile, "I have realized it is better to not show your hand too quickly. My ability gives me the knowledge of what happens behind closed doors and I have often used that to my advantage."

Professor Xavier frowned, "Blackmail is—"

"I’ve never blackmailed anyone, Professor. It is just the mere knowledge of what people do when they think that no one is looking that has sometimes given me the upper hand in many situations. I was born with this ability and therefore the idea of privacy had to be ingrained into me by my parents. It wasn’t a good moment when their four-year-old daughter asked the gay couple next door why they did certain actions in their bedroom at night."

"You were able to see into the neighbors bedroom?"

"It’s not technically seeing, it’s more like sensing but much more complicated. I’d call it an in depth spatial awareness. The easiest way for me to describe it is as living in a stained glass world with stained glass people."

"That’s an interesting analogy. You can see through objects, like x-ray?"

"No. More like a reverse CAT scan. Much more detailed than an x-ray. I’m scanning everything around me at once all the time."

The Professor considered the information, "Impressive. How far out can you do this?"

She smiled, "The closer you are the more detailed information I receive, but I have been able to identify shapes and movement up to two miles away."

"Extraordinary," he said. "I knew it was powerful, but that is more than I expected."

"We need to talk about my ability, Professor. There is a certain lack of privacy that may be an issue if the other faculty members are to know of my mutation."

"Should we have this talk in my office?"

"Not unless you believe it is necessary. I’d rather be open about it than try to conceal the truth of the information I receive every waking moment."

He motioned to the doors behind him, "Why don’t we discuss this over lunch in the cafeteria or is that to open for you?"

"That sounds fine," she answered following him as he led the way to the cafeteria.

They got their food and sat down amid the throng. Placing a straw into her milk carton she said, "Ask me anything about anyone in this room no matter where they are. I will answer to the best of my ability."

"Ah, a test," the Professor smiled. "There is a person directly behind you about twenty feet away describe that person to me?"

"Trying to trick me first thing? There is actually a group of four adult men. The first is Mr. Worthington whom I have already met and he is still on his cell phone. He has been off of it for approximately ten minutes since we last saw him but he picked it up two minutes ago and has been on it since. He’s very tense right now, I believe he is not getting very good news or frustrated with the person on the other end. His bone structure is hollow as are his wings."

"You’ve been keeping track of him?"

"Not quite," she answered. "Like I said, I receive a lot of information and, over the years, I’ve learned to process it and store it away for future use."

"You’re right about his bone structure," The Professor said with a considering look. He was trying to determine whether having brought someone like Doctor Green to the Institute might not have been a mistake. "Please continue."

"The man to his right is wearing jeans and a leather jacket with an X pattern across the chest. I've seen several people wearing the same jacket so I suppose it is part of the Institute uniforms. I’d say he has the ability to manipulate temperature or water or possibly both. There is something wrong with his system in that there is ice within his chest cavity, but it doesn’t seem to be affecting his normal functions. Has he seen a doctor recently?"

The Professor looked concerned, "That is Bobby Drake. Are you sure about the ice?"

"Positive. Do you wish me to continue?"

"Go ahead."

"The man across from Mr. Worthington is Scott whom I met in California. According to his body language, I’d say he’s upset. He’s tense also and his eyes keep going from Mr. Worthington to the man sitting on his left across from Mr. Drake. The last man is another obvious mutant like Mr. Worthington but more extreme. He has pointed ears, a tail, two fingers and an opposable thumb on each hand, two toes on his feet. His teeth are pointed and his eyes are… not normal. His anatomy isn’t quite human. Again, his muscles are tense too so I would assume that he is also upset although he has been looking at Mr. Worthington this entire time that I have been talking to you."

"That’s Kurt Wagner. You’re right about the information you just told me, but you could have obtained it from just looking around the room while we were getting lunch."

She looked at him with a smile, "You’re right. There are three people who are about to walk through the entryway. The first is a man with a metal skeleton and claws in his forearms. The second is Jean Summers. The third is a young Asian woman. By the way, Mr. Worthington just hung up his cell phone and put it away."

Professor Xavier watched Warren put away his cell phone as she was speaking. Fifteen seconds later Logan, a man well know for his ferocity in battle with his adamantium encased claws and known by the signature name Wolverine walked into the room. Behind him, Jean Summers and Jubilation Lee, a young Asian woman who had the ability to create firework-like displays and was more often called by her signature name Jubilee because it was an acronym of her true name, walked into the room. The Professor raised an eyebrow, "Correct on all accounts. How many chairs are there in the room next door?"

"None. It’s a utility closet. There are three brooms, two dustpans, ten bottles of various cleaning agents, thirty-two rolls of paper towels, a large first aid kit, a flashlight without batteries, and a mop inside a bucket that is half full of dirty water. The room beyond that is a classroom with thirty-two regulation half desks found in any high school and one wooden office chair with a missing back rest spoke and a broken wheel."

The Professor got up and checked the closet and room next door. Jean stopped to talk to the four men at the table and Scott got up and they left the room. Jubilee and Logan walked over to the counter and began ordering food. The Professor came back into the room with the flashlight in his hand, "the wooden chair wheel isn’t broken."

She crossed her arms looking at him admonishingly, "You only moved that chair around. You need to lift it up, one of the wheels will come out of its socket."

"I’ll take your word for it," he said sitting back down. He saluted her with the flashlight before he put it down. "Thank you for telling me the flashlight didn’t have batteries. I'll have to remedy that before I put it back."

"You’re welcome."

Several of the people in the cafeteria noticed the exchange between them and there were curious looks at Doctor Green as a small smile played about her face as she resumed eating the remains of her lunch. "What else?"

"How many vehicles are in the garage?"

"You didn’t show me the garage," she said casually, "or the hangar. We walked right over it when you showed me the basketball courts."

He looked at her sharply, "I didn’t realize you could detect it."

"Obviously," she said wryly. "There are currently 46 vehicles in the garage, a total of 62 are on the property that I have been able to detect, a subway system of some sort and there are 3 aircraft including a helicopter." She put her fork down and pushed her plate away. "Those aircraft are under a thousand feet away. I could detect them easily despite the metal shielding."

"Metal doesn’t stop your scan?"

"As a matter of density it does make it harder to detect what is behind it, but there’s not enough metal to stop my ability. If I can scan two miles, I can definitely scan past two feet of metal to a level of 1000 feet below and more."

"What about dirt and rock? Doesn’t that stop you?"

"Of course it does. I can read to about 1000 feet with base rock, more without. Sewer and subway systems are fascinating with their tunnels, wiring and worker passageways."

"Your ability is intriguing," he said finishing his own meal.

"I don’t know what life would be like without it. I understand most mutants gain their abilities upon puberty, but I have had mine all my life. Considering the amount of information I am constantly receiving, it might have killed me if I got it when I became a teenager. It’s grown in power and strength over the years and will probably continue as I get older." She stood up, "It has been a long three days getting here so, if you don’t mind, I’ll go to my room and rest. I’m sure you have administrative duties waiting for your attention."

"If you had taken a plane instead of the bus—" he stood up also.

"I refuse to fly," she said flatly. "Now that you know about my ability do you blame me? I would be able to feel the ground below. I would know there is nothing between me and the ground but metal, plastic and insulation."

"At least let me walk you to your room."

She smiled tiredly, "Sure, but you don’t have to, I know exactly where it is. I won’t get lost and I won’t go downstairs into those rather interesting rooms below the Institute that you haven’t shown me yet. I really am tired and you can count on me asking you to show them to me later."

He grabbed the empty flashlight and waved it. "Can’t have any secrets with you can we?" he said motioning to the door with his other hand.

As she led the way out of the room she said, "That was the whole point of this conversation, wasn’t it?"

"What? Where are you goin’?" Jubilee asked Logan as he got up from his seat across from her.

"Business," he said and walked over to Kurt, Warren and Bobby as they sat talking. "Do any of ya know who that woman is that just left wi’ Chuck?"

"Doctor Green," said Warren, "she’s going to be one of our new teachers. Why?"

"I overheard her talkin’ with Chuck ‘bout her ability—her mutation."

Curious, he asked, "What is it?"

Logan looked from Kurt to Bobby and back at Warren, "Radar. She’s never been to the garage but she’s able to tell Chuck how many cars are in it. She also told him how many planes are in the hangar under the basketball courts. And she would also like to know what the rooms below the Institute are used for."



Chapter 4
Doctor Angelique Green had taken off her suit jacket and unpinned her hair before lying down on her bed in the room she had been assigned in the teacher’s dormitory wing. She was listening to the local radio station on her nightstand and with eyes closed she used her sensory ability to get familiar with the everyday routine of the Institute and it’s denizens.

She noted Mr. Worthington and another man, the one with the metal skeleton, had come from the cafeteria and was making their way towards her section of the dorms. She wondered faintly if they had their rooms on the same floor as hers and she began to seriously scan the closets of the rooms nearest to hers. From having been within feet of both of the men she knew their sizes in clothes. From the strange style of clothes necessary to circumvent Mr. Worthington’s wings, she was able to determine that he had a room on her floor at the far end of the building on the corner. It was one of the larger rooms in the building, almost a suite. She was surprised to find a man who was reportedly worth millions of dollars and lived in the media spotlight living with the normal folk, sleeping within yards of her own room. The man with the metal skeleton wore a tank top and jeans with cowboy boots. The only room in the dorm that had similar clothes and shoes in his size was the room directly across the hall from her own.

As they got closer and passed Mr. Worthington’s room, she noted that he had a tray in his hands with a full dinner. Considering the amount of time he had been spending on the phone, she supposed he must not have been able to eat and decided to take it with him. The man with the metal skeleton did enter the room across from hers, but she was very surprised when Mr. Worthington knocked on her door. "Doctor Green? Are you awake? I’ve brought you dinner," came his deep masculine voice.

Angel’s eyebrows rose up, Mr. Gorgeous Millionaire had brought her dinner? Angel got up from the bed and, after a brief check in the mirror to make sure she didn’t look too mussed up, opened her door wide. Mr. Worthington was still wearing the red and white armored bodysuit that clung to his muscled chest and legs. "Thank you, Mr. Worthington," she said as she took the tray from him and placed it on the small table in her room. "Why don’t you come in? Leave the door open, please." Although she’d love to be in a room alone with the man, propriety would have to be her watchword until she found out the policy regarding employee interaction.

Warren noticed Doctor Green was still wearing her navy skirt and cream blouse, but she had taken off the suit top and her hair had been unpinned and it swept across her back in a heavy braid that went down to her rear as she walked. "Charles said you were resting, but he told me you might be awake enough to eat a little something," he said.

"Charles is Professor Xavier?" she asked lifting the cover off the plate in the center of the tray revealing a chicken and rice dish.

"Yes." He walked into the room leaving the door wide open behind him.

She pulled one of the chairs from the table out for him, "Sit down. You have already eaten, I take it?"

"Yes, I have," he said as he pulled the chair out further then reversed it to sit down.

"So why were you the one to bring me dinner?" she asked as she sat down and began unwrapping her salad bowl.

"I’m one of the few people you’ve met, although briefly. Charles said that you’ve seen me on television. So you’re probably more familiar with my face than anyone else here at the Institute. And I volunteered when he asked Jean to take something up to you."

"Why did you volunteer, Mr. Worthington?" she said picking up her fork and starting on her chicken.

"Call me Warren. I wanted to ask a favor of you." At her surprised look he continued, "Logan overheard your conversation with Charles at lunch and told us a little about what you can do. I want to see if you could help me with a problem I’ve been trying to deal with."

"Who’s Logan and what can I do that you need my help?"

"Logan is—"

"Me," said the man with the metal skeleton leaning against the doorjamb. He’d put on a leather Harley-Davidson jacket over his tank shirt and had his thumbs hooked into his jeans. "I told him about your radar ability." Now that Angel really looked at him with her eyes, he was a short man, a few inches shorter than herself, with dark brown hair combed back from his face. He wasn’t a handsome man, his body hair was very thick although she only visually saw thick tufts coming out of the top of his tank and on the tops of his hands. His facial hair ran along the sides of his face leaving only his upper lip and chin area clean. She’d only seen pictures of men with sideburns like that in history books from the turn of the century or earlier. He was already fully into the five o’clock shadow stubble and in combination with his piercing brown eyes, it made him sinister in appearance.

"It’s not a ‘radar’ ability," she replied upset at their supposition. "I get a lot more detail than that."

"You do?" Warren asked eagerly, leaning forward over the chair back. "What type of detail?"

Angel ignored him and asked Logan, "You were twenty feet away. How much of the conversation between Professor Xavier and I did you hear?"

"Enough," Logan replied.

Her eyes narrowed as she focused on his head, "Hmmm. You’ve got better hearing than most animals. And a better sense of smell, too."

Logan’s left eyebrow quirked up and he looked at Warren. "Better than I thought," he said with some admiration.

"Why are you here?" she was perplexed that the two men had shown up at her door and started asking her about her ability when she’d gone over it with Professor Xavier, whom she thought as founder of the Institute was their superior.

"We need to know how well your radar works," Warren explained. "Logan and I are planning on returning to one of my buildings in White Plains that was destroyed in a fire, an accident. I was wondering if you could help us sort through the debris with your ability. That’s why I want to know what type of detail you can get."

She glanced at Logan before settling her gaze on Warren. Cautiously, she asked, "Ever seen a CAT scan?"

After both men answered in the affirmative, she continued, "I get that type of sensory information from everything around me. A type of reverse CAT scan, a very powerful reverse CAT scan."

"It’s powerful if you can tell about my hearing and sense of smell from where you’re sitting," Logan contemplated. "How far out does it work?"

"I get intimate details up close and then it gradually starts to fade at," She turned back to her tray and, just before she put another bit of chicken in her mouth, she finished saying, "two miles."

"Miles?" Warren turned to stare at Logan. "That’s pretty far."

Logan grunted in agreement then asked, "What did you mean by ‘intimate detail’?"

She swallowed her food then said, "I knew Warren had a hollow bone structure long before he landed next to Professor Xavier and me this afternoon."

"A lot of people have figured that out," Warren informed her. "It has to do with being able to use wings to fly."

She smiled at him then turned to Logan, "How did they put metal onto your skeleton? I know it’s not one of your natural talents."

Logan’s eyes narrowed. "With a Hell of a lot of pain," he growled. His head tilted to the side, "What else can you tell?"

Angel’s eyebrows rose at his answer, "You have three foot long bone spurs or claws in each forearm that extend from the back of your hand between your knuckles. There’s probably more," she said with confidence, "but I haven’t tried to identify all the idiosyncrasies in both of your bodies yet." She turned away and resumed eating her meal.

After she took a few mouthfuls, Warren asked, "What else can you detect with your ability?"

Chewing a mouthful of food she turned to look at him again. After swallowing she told him, "Please be specific, there is a plethora of information I’m receiving at every moment."

While Warren was trying to reform his question, Logan asked, "How much money do I have in my pocket?"

She turned in her chair to look at him. "Wallet or pockets?" she asked.

"Both."

"Your wallet contains three twenty, one five and six one dollar bills. Your right front pocket contains a 2001 New York state quarter, a 1999 dime, a 1987 penny and a 1995 penny. The rest of your pockets contain no paper or coin currency."

Logan pulled the coins from his pocket and laid them on the table in front of Warren. Angel had been right about the dates and coins.

"How far away would you have to be to detect the coin dates?" Warren asked as Logan put the money back into his pocket.

She thought for a few seconds then answered, "Depending upon what was between the coin and myself probably anywhere from ten to fifty feet, maybe more."

"You want to find evidence," Logan said to Warren as he stood next to the table. He cocked his thumb at Angel, "She can do it."

"Thank you for the vote of confidence," she said sarcastically as she picked up her dishes and took them into the bathroom.

Warren stood up and followed her to the doorway. "We’re not exactly sure what we’re looking for or what we’ll find in White Plains, but anything you could tell us would be helpful."

"What type of accident occurred at this facility? How far away is White Plains?" she asked as she got a glass of water from the bathroom and drank it.

"White Plains is about thirteen miles from here," Logan told her disregarding her question about the accident. "If we hit traffic, it’ll take us about half an hour to get there."

"I don’t know forensics and I’m not a CSI unit," she said getting another glass of water. "And it’ll be dark in a few hours."

"Your ability doesn’t rely on light does it?" Logan asked.

She shook her head, "No."

"I’d really rather see if you can find anything tonight," Warren said earnestly. "I have to be in New York City tomorrow morning for meetings and I won’t be back until late if at all."

"Since you’ve finished eating," Logan proposed to her, "why don’t we go now?"

She looked from one man to the other, "Go out in the dark … to a location I don’t know where … with two men I just met. One of whom has lethal natural weapons on his person and the other is a millionaire and a national celebrity." She paused and then answered herself sarcastically, "Sure, why not!"

"Okay, I know this is sudden," Warren wryly and he looked to Logan for support. "But we really need your help. Talk to Charles, he’ll assure you that this is legitimate."

Logan nodded, "It’s legit."

"I didn’t bring clothes to walk around in soot and ashes," she stalled.

"He’s got money," Logan offered. "He’ll buy you new clothes."

"No problem," Warren agreed quickly. "Please, Doctor Green, help me out."

She looked from Warren to Logan and back again. "I want to verify this with Professor Xavier. If this is legit, then you’ll owe me a new set of clothes, Warren."

"Do you have any pants or jeans?" Warren asked.

"Boots?" Logan suggested.

Their attitude made Angel think that they had been telling the truth and that the Institute’s policy on employee interaction was very lenient. Her checking with Professor Xavier would just be a formality. And it would also notify someone of her whereabouts. Giving into their request she told them, "Yes, I have a pair of jeans, but all I have with me are a pair of sneakers. I didn’t bring any boots. I’ll change into them now then we’ll go downstairs to talk to Professor Xavier." She motioned towards the door with her hand, "Now, get out while I change."

They left the room but she knew they didn’t leave the hallway as she changed into warmer clothes; a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and a pair of athletic shoes, then she grabbed a denim jacket and opened the door. They had been leaning against the wall on opposite sides of the hallway. Logan with his arms and ankles crossed. Warren had a shoulder against the wall as he watched her door. They had been talking, but stopped when she appeared in the hallway. Warren smiled in triumph as he straightened.

Logan looked her up and down appreciatively before he pushed away from the wall, "You’ll do."

She led the way to Professor Xavier’s office, which is where she determined his location. He was talking to Scott and Kurt when they arrived.

After he asked them to come into his office, she told him, "Professor, Warren and Logan want me to go with them to one of Warren’s businesses that burned down in White Plains. Tonight, right now. They say they want to find some sort of evidence there."

The Professor looked at his watch, "Isn’t it a bit late to start an investigation, Warren?"

"I have meetings all day tomorrow and I want to get on this as soon as possible," Warren replied. "With her ability she may be able to find clues that we missed. Logan’s coming with us and he can help her out tomorrow if she needs more time."

"So this is legitimate?" Angel asked.

"Most definitely," Professor Xavier replied. "Warren hasn’t been able to give his company his full attention and while he’s been distracted some serious issues have become apparent. The latest problem has been at his White Plains offices."

Leaning forward in his chair as if to stand up, Kurt asked, "Do you want us to go with you?"

Logan shook his head, "We’re just gonna have her look around and see if she spots anything we missed."

"She just arrived this morning," Scott said surprised, looking at Professor Xavier, "and she’s doing an investigation?"

"It’s her choice," Professor Xavier spread his hands wide and sat back in his chair. "She does have a very powerful ability to scan objects. She may very well find something they can use to find out what’s behind Warren’s problems."

Scott shook his head and shot Angel a worried look, "It’ll be dark in a few hours. You take care, okay?" He shifted his eyes to Logan who stood behind her, "Don’t keep her out to long as it’s supposed to get cold tonight. And don’t order her around, she’s doing you a favor."

Logan grabbed Angel’s elbow and blew off Scott saying, "Let’s go."

Professor Xavier, Kurt and Scott watched as Angel threw them an anxious glance over her shoulder as Logan pulled her out of the room followed by Warren who closed the door behind them.



Chapter 5
Angel clung to Logan’s waist as he drove his Harley north on Mamaroneck Avenue occasionally she looked up to see Warren flying above them. A few minutes later, they arrived at what had obviously been a large building complex but was now a burned out ruin with yellow tape advising caution attached to the orange mesh fencing which surrounded it. Out front, Angel had seen a sign proclaiming the building to be Lobo Tech, a division of Worthington Enterprises. Construction machinery sat in the parking lot with the setting sun making them throw sinister shapes across the charred walls. Logan brought his motorcycle to a stop next to the fencing and put down the kickstand. Warren landed next to them, his wings settling before folding closed.

Angel peeled herself off Logan’s warm back, threw a leg over the end of the bike and walked towards the orange mesh. She looked past the barrier at the ruins and asked, "Where did you want me to look?"

"Anywhere. Everywhere," Warren advised. "There were a couple of explosions so things may have been strewn around."

Logan got off the bike as she stood examining the ruined building. "I believe the interior’s safe to walk around in," she commented as she placed a hand on the fencing. "How do we get in?"

Logan walked over to her and extended a metal encased claw. He bent down and stuck the sharp metal through a bottom hole and as he stood up, the claw cut through the orange mesh fencing like soft butter.

"Is what we’re doing legal?" she asked with last second thoughts.

"I own this whole block," Warren assured her. "The insurance agents finished their investigation two days ago and the construction company is waiting on my approval before they demolish the remains of the building. We can do whatever we want."

"Good enough for me," she said and stepped through the mesh. Warren and Logan followed her through the rubble. Logan pulled out a cigar from an interior jacket pocket and a lighter from his right front jeans pocket and lit it.

"What exactly am I looking for?" she asked when they arrived at the entrance to the building.

"Whatever you wouldn’t normally find in a burned building," Logan suggested.

"Oh, you’re a great help," she told him sarcastically. She looked at Warren, "What exactly did happen here?"

Warren realized he’d have to be honest with her if she was going to be able to help them. He didn’t know how well she’d take it, but he had to tell her to find out. Either she’d continue to help them or she’d ask to be taken back to the Institute.

"Warren, I need the truth," she said seriously. "This place looks like it was designed to be just an office building, but I’m already detecting a lot of inconsistencies." She paused for a moment looking around the site of destruction. "This ‘accident’ was caused by explosives!" She looked sharply at Warren and then Logan. "What happened!" she demanded.

Warren looked at Logan who took the cigar out of his mouth and blew out a cloud of smoke. Logan slowly turned to look at him and said in what could almost be an order, "Truth. Do it."

Warren took a deep breath and let it out. He didn’t look at her as he began, "Long story short. Some mutant werewolves attacked and killed some kids. They were working out of here, Lobo Tech," he gestured at the ruins that still stood in front of them. "I own the building and the company so it was my responsibility to find out who they were. Several of us from the Institute came here to find them and we fought them since they wouldn’t come quietly."

Logan snorted and chuckled.

Warren glared at him and asked, "You want to tell her?" When Logan shook his head and stuck the cigar back into his mouth, Warren continued, "The building was supposed to just be a set of offices with a small shipping department. I didn’t know it, but they’ve been selling and shipping high-tech weaponry and equipment from Stark Industries out of Lobo Tech. During the fight, the werewolf leader set the place on fire destroying all the records about where the materials were coming from and who it was going to. Because of the ammunition and the other materials they had in the building, there were some explosions, but mostly fire demolished the place."

"Did anyone die in the fire?" she asked solemnly.

Warren shook his head, "I couldn’t say. I know there were some werewolves who had been killed during the fighting." He looked at Logan who nodded.

"Just … curiosity. Did the werewolves ever turn back into humans when you killed them? Like they do in the movies," Angel asked looking at Logan. She knew he must have killed them with those metal encased claws of his.

Logan frowned and took out the cigar. As he blew smoke out he turned to Warren, "I didn’t see it."

Warren was lost in thought for a few moments as he recollected his memories of the fight. "No," he said hesitantly and then more confidently he shook his head, "No, they never changed back into humans." He looked at her, "When we first met them they looked like men in business suits—office workers, but then they changed into werewolves when we confronted them."

"Do you think the people who worked here were the werewolves?" she asked trying to get a better picture of what information Warren needed.

Warren looked at Logan, "You came here first and they kicked your ass."

Logan practically growled around his cigar, "Shove it, Warren." He walked over to the opening in the wall and they could hear his voice faintly echo off the emptiness inside, "The place was full o’ suits when I got here ‘cept for their leader, Maximus, and a few of his goons. Once my claws came out, they all started changin’." He punched the charred concrete causing the area beneath his hand to crumble slightly, "Every damned last one of ‘em." He turned to look at her and took the cigar out of his mouth, motioning with it at the building behind him, "I don’t think anything human been working here for a while." He stuck the cigar back into his mouth and walked into the dark interior.

Angel looked at Warren, "I take it losing is a sore point with him."

Warren smirked, "Wolverine doesn’t lose very often."

She frowned in confusion, "Wolverine?"

"It’s what we call him," Warren explained.

"Ah," understanding dawned on her face, "just like you’re called Archangel."

His wings stirred and he gave her a genuine smile, "Yes."

"Hey!" they both looked into the dark entryway and saw Logan’s cigar light up as he drew on it, the enlarged pupils of his eyes glowing ferally as they reflected the glow. "You comin’ in here?"

Startled by the situation, pointing at Logan she said, "His eyes—that’s scary!" She gave a nervous little laugh.

"You didn’t know?" Warren asked, "I thought you scanned us earlier."

"I did," she replied. "I knew about it, but after all this talk about werewolves…" She smiled sheepishly at him, "It’s like being at summer camp with the scary stories around the fire before you go to bed and then one of the counselors jumps out of the bushes as you’re on your way back to your cabins."

Warren nodded with a smile of remembrance, "Everyone screams and runs even though they know there wasn’t anything dangerous."

"Yup," she continued to smile.

"I’m no counselor," came a menacing growl from the building.

Warren’s smile widened, "No, Logan," he shot a glance at Angel, "you’d scare the kids too much."

She laughed and then made her way into the dark interior of the ruined building with Warren following right behind her. When she reached the center of the building she said, "I’m going to start searching the immediate area so please don’t move or you’ll distract me and I may miss something." Logan and Warren moved over to a wall nearby and they both leaned a shoulder against it and watched her. She just stood there with eyes closed.

After ten minutes, Warren asked, "Anything?"

"Bone fragments," she said, her eyes still closed. "Lots of twisted and melted metal. Some bullets that didn’t explode or melt in the heat so they may still be useful for identification purposes. I can make out the ends of guns here and there, but they’re twisted and melted also. I don’t know if you’ll get any information off of them." Logan watched her frown, but Warren couldn’t see well enough to notice. "There’s a couple of rooms below this floor," she pointed towards the street, "with an underground corridor that leads off in that direction."

Logan’s shoulder came off the wall and he tossed down the stub of his cigar, "Where’s the entrance to these rooms?"

"Aren’t you going to put that out?" she asked looking at the stub it’s end glowing in the darkness.

"The place already burnt down. Where’s the door?"

Angel pointed towards a corner of the building, "Over there. It’s under a pile of furniture."

"Like someone was trying to hide it?" Warren asked as he approached her.

"Yeah, it sort of feels pushed together, jumbled together," she replied.

"Someone survived," Logan said as he headed over to the corner and started tossing the furniture to the side. Warren went and helped him.

Angel more delicately made her way over to the corner and pointed out the entrance to them, "The handle’s broken, but it used to be some sort of trap door. I’ve seen similar doors in buildings that have a lot of computers. They use the room below to fix the wiring and store extra parts. Sometimes they use it for … other activities."

"But this room is connected to other rooms?" Warren asked.

"Yes. There’s another door over to the side there," she pointed towards the direction of the street again. "It opens into a corridor and a few more rooms. I think the corridor leads to the sewers. I’d have to walk in that direction to be sure."

Logan extended the claws in his right hand and punched into the trap door, pulling it up as he raised his fist. "You goin’ in?" he asked Warren.

Warren turned to Angel, "Doctor, can you tell if there is anyone down there?"

"Call me Angel. There’s no one right now. All the way to about half the corridor I can tell there isn’t anyone there."

"I’m going down," Warren told Logan.

Logan jumped down and moved out of the way as Warren moved into position to jump down also.

"Warren?" Angel asked.

"You stay here," he ordered.

"There’s a group of people running towards the building," she said looking over her shoulder towards the rest of the building.

Logan looked up through the trap door from the room below. "How many?" he asked.

"More than ten … oh my God, they’re changing into werewolves!" she exclaimed.

"Do we have time to get to my bike?"

"I don’t know," she said panicked, "they’re running faster! I think they heard me!"

Warren grabbed her around the shoulders, picked her up and dropped her through the trap door into Logan’s waiting arms.

He moved out of the way and put her down as Warren landed, "Tell us if you sense anyone ahead of us. We’re going to use the corridor."

Logan went over to the door Angel had pointed out earlier and tried the knob. It was locked. He used his claws to cut off the handle then kicked the door open. A hallway led into several rooms. "Take point," he told Warren, "We need some light."

Warren pulled Angel after him into the dark hallway. "Angel, are there any lights?"

Angel reached out and flipped a switch. Light flooded the hallway from emergency lights roughly strung along the ceiling leading down the corridor. There were six other rooms leading downwards.

"They must’ve tapped into the street lights," Logan muttered from the doorway as he looked at the lights. "Where are they now?"

"They’re almost to the building." She looked around her, "These are living quarters. There’s even a refrigerator in that room," she pointed to one halfway down the hallway, "The wires lead towards it."

"Great they’ve set up shop. Let’s go!" Logan snapped.

Angel ran down the corridor and stopped at a metal door. She stood for a moment holding the handle then pulled it, "It’s clear." She stepped down into sewage and would have fallen in the slippery muck if it hadn’t been for Warren being right behind her and grabbing her arm to steady her.

There were more emergency lights spaced every twenty feet along the walls. Their dim light made the filthy stream of sewage that filled the center of the corridor glisten.

Logan closed the door behind them and retracted his claws, "Now where?" He looked at the lights along the walls and grunted, "Usin’ the sewers regular."

"We need to get above ground, my cell phone won’t work down here," Warren advised.

They both looked at Angel. "The nearest exit is the sewer lid about a hundred feet in that direction," she pointed towards it.

"No," said Logan, "Too close if some stay topside. We’ll go in the other direction." He grabbed Angel’s arm and pulled her as he started walking through the sewage in the opposite direction. He wrinkled his nose, "At least the smell will stop them from sniffing us out. Darlin’, tell us when they get near the door. We’ll have to stop moving so they can’t hear which way we went."

Warren got her other arm and they hurried her down the tunnel.

After a few minutes she hissed, "Stop!" They froze and could hear a faint metallic screech. Soon they heard the faint echo of growling voices. Logan and Warren watched Angel’s face for her reactions.

"Six of them are at the doorway," she whispered. After a minute, she continued, "Three are coming our way, three are going the other direction."

"Where are the rest of them?" Logan asked also whispering.

"Two of them are doing something to the bike, I don’t know what. Two of them are walking on the ground level and the other six are doing something in the rooms off the hallway."

"Better not wreck my Harley," Logan hissed. He mentally counted, "Sixteen of them?"

At her nod, he held a finger up to his lips in a silencing motion and then waved for them to continue on. Carefully, they continued to move through the sludge trying to make as little noise as possible.

After a hundred feet they could hear splashing and Angel looked over her shoulder as three bipedal wolf-like creatures rounded the bend in the sewer. They bayed as they caught sight of them and the noise echoed from the walls reverberating up and down the corridor. They started running as fast as they could through the thick muck. The baying of their pursuers dogged their steps.

Logan turned around as the first of the werewolves to reach them came within striking distance. He flung out his arms and his claws extended, with a roar he swiped at the werewolf with both arms. The claws bit into the belly of the beast even as it’s arms reached out to grapple with him. It’s weight combined with the slippery tunnel floor pushed Logan off his feet and he and the werewolf landed in the sludge, sliding into the wall. The werewolf being on top clawed at his throat and face. Logan repeatedly brought his metal claws up and punched into the creature’s torso. His heels scrabbled in the slime trying to get under him so he could push the monster off.

Warren turned at Logan’s roar and extended his wings to give him balance in the slick sewage and obscure Angel’s fleeing figure. He stood with fists raised defensively as the other two werewolves slowed and separated out coming at him from two directions. He ran and jumped kicked at the werewolf on his left, propelling it into the tunnel wall. There was a loud crack as its head slammed into the concrete. As the werewolf on his right ran towards him he landed on his hands and knees and used his wings to batter the creature as it bent to reach him. He leaped up, putting all his weight behind his fist and struck the creature under the chin, knocking it back the beast fell, overbalanced in the slippery ooze.

Logan pushed the slumping body of the werewolf off his chest and ran to help Warren. Warren had turned to face the werewolf he had kicked into the wall and delivered a blow to its face. Logan tackled the other beast as it attempted to stand up, his metal claws going into its throat and spinal column driving it back into the sewage. Wrenching his claws from the body, he turned and roared as he ran at the last remaining creature and stabbed it in the lungs as it rebounded from the wall once again from Warren’s blow.

Warren stepped back and let Logan dispatch the Werewolf as he turned to look for Angel. She was nowhere to be seen. "Angel!" Warren yelled.

The baying continued to echo in the tunnel, bouncing off the cavernous walls as the werewolves who had originally gone the other direction came around the corner.

"There’s three more coming!" Logan growled as he slit the throat of the third werewolf.

"We don’t want to lose her in these tunnels!" Warren exclaimed.

They sprinted after her until the new set of werewolves got closer. This time Logan and Warren set themselves for the creatures’ charge.

Having seen the stab wounds in the bodies of their pack mates, two of the monsters went after Logan, knowing that with his claws he was the more dangerous target. As they closed, Logan swiped at their throats with his claws barely nicking either of them. When they jumped back, he used his knowledge of the slippery surface from his previous fight and leaped forward getting down on one knee for balance and gutted both of them at the stomach. Even as they bent forward, he twisted around and brought his claws up with all his might into the soft flesh beneath their chins reaching into their brains.

The howling that echoed had not ended and Logan saw the cause as four more werewolves swarmed towards him. He brought his claws forward and roaring in rage ran at the nearest werewolf and with one swipe cut its head from its shoulders. He continued his momentum and skewered the next werewolf in the groin and turning his hand cut its innards to shreds. The other two werewolves separated out and away from his deadly metal claws before he could reach them. Turning to his right he leaped at his opponent smacking him into the wall and embedding his blades through the beast’s heart and several inches into the concrete.

Warren blocked the swipes from his attacker and using his strength shattered its muzzle with his fist. As it dazedly tried to claw at him, he grabbed its ears and brought its head down into his armored knee. Then he sidestepped and reaching around to either side of its head twisted sharply, snapping its neck. As it fell, he turned to see Logan fly at a werewolf and pin its chest to the
wall with his foot long blades.

The impaled werewolf snapped weakly at Logan’s neck. He put a foot against the wall and pushed himself off, pulling the blades out of their flesh and cement sheath. The creature left a large bloody trail as it slid down the wall to sit in the mire. The remaining werewolf, seeing the decimation the two opponents had delivered to his pack mates, turned tail and ran back in the direction it had come.

Logan charged after it, roaring as rage still pumped adrenaline through his system.

Warren knew that when Logan caught up with the monster it would soon be dead so he concentrated his attention on retrieving Angel. He ran further up the tunnel, the last direction he had seen her. He hoped she hadn’t gone down a side passage making it more difficult to find her.

"Angel!" Warren yelled as he splashed through the fetid center stream. "It’s all right! They can’t harm you now, you’re safe!"

"I’m here," he heard her faint reply from overhead.

Looking up he found her clinging to the top rung of a ladder leading to a manhole cover in the sewer ceiling. Warren and Angel looked back the way they’d come as a hoarse scream was silenced abruptly, a few seconds later a triumphant howl reverberated up the tunnel.

"Wait here," Warren said to Angel as he went to investigate. "Logan?!" he called. There was no answer. He continued down the tunnel, "Logan is that you?!"

Logan’s voice dripped with malevolence as he hissed, "Yessss."

"Get a hold of yourself," Warren ordered. "You’re scaring Doctor Green."

He went back to the ladder and held it as he looked up, "Doctor Green? Angel? Come down, it’s safe now."

She looked down at him with wide eyes and frantically shook her head.

"It’s okay. They’re dead. The werewolves aren’t going to harm you," he assured her.

She just looked at him with big frightened eyes.

He looked back in Logan’s direction as he heard footsteps coming towards him and then back up at Angel, "Please, Angel. You’re safe now. Come down."

She shook her head again, "No."

"What’s the matter?" he frowned and then looked up and down the tunnel. "Are you sensing something? What did we miss?"

"You killed them," she whispered.

He sighed realizing what the problem was. She’d witnessed some of the fight and saw them killing the werewolves. "We had to. I told you earlier that we’ve fought them before. They would have killed us. It was self-defense," he explained. "Please, come down. We need to go back to Lobo Tech. We need to find out why they were here. Why they attacked us."

"There’s more," she said. "You didn’t kill them all."

"Logan? She says there’re more werewolves."

"Yeah," Logan’s gruff voice was closer and didn’t echo as much. "She said there were sixteen and I’ve only counted ten."

"The other six must still be at Lobo Tech," Warren considered the fighting that would result and threw a worried glance up at Angel.

"We won’t know until we go back," Logan replied, his voice closer and Angel knew he was almost upon them.

Looking back up at her, Warren told her, "We need to go back, Angel. We need you to help us and tell us where they are."

"I don’t want to," she said quietly.

"I know you don’t want to, but we must. We have to find out why they’re here. Why there are rooms beneath my building."

"No," she shook her head, "I’m not going go back."

"I think she’s gone into shock," Warren said over his shoulder as Logan came into view and he cocked his head to look up at her. "With her ability, she probably felt us fighting."

"Shit," Logan muttered and then shrugged, "There wasn’t anything we could do." He was a mess with his clothes covered in crud and slime. He had blood spattered across his face, chest and legs. "Come down," he ordered.

Her eyes widened at his appearance. "Oh my God," she breathed and looked up at the manhole cover. She reached up to push it open.

Logan leaped onto the ladder and shot up it, grabbing her leg as she tried to escape. She strove to get him to let go. Instead he climbed the ladder further, wrapped an arm about her waist and, even as she struggled, he used his superior strength to pull her down and off the ladder. She desperately reached for his neck as he dangled and then dropped her into Warren’s waiting arms.

She kicked and screamed, "No!" Warren tightened his grip on her and grimaced as her cry echoed loudly up and down the corridor.

Logan jumped down and put his filthy hand over her mouth, silencing her. "Do you want them to come after us again?" he growled into her ear.

She stilled, her eyes going wide and then losing focus as she felt for the werewolves’ presence.

"Do you?" He snarled, watching her eyes as they came back into focus.

She shook her head ‘no’ under his hand.

"Then will you shut up?" At her nod, he lifted his hand from her mouth.

She looked up at Warren. "Let me go," she whispered.

Warren searched her face, "She’s going into shock. Her eyes are dilated and she’s shaking like a leaf." He lifted her up, pressing her against his chest to give her some of his warmth, "She felt us killing them. We need to take her back to the Institute."

Logan roughly took her chin in his hands and turned her so he could examine her eyes, "Not yet. We need her. We need the information she can provide. And she needs us to protect her." He let go of her chin and she buried her head in Warren’s neck as he pulled her back in close. Her free arm snaked up to circle his shoulder and neck which made it easier for him to hold her.

"We can come back—" Warren began.

"And they’ll clear everything out. We won’t find a trace of them until they kill more humans. Do you want that? Do you want more innocent lives sacrificed in the name of Homo Superior?"

"No."

"Do you want the media to find out who’s responsible?"

"No," Warren repeated with more conviction.

"Good. You carry her while I take point," he started back towards the Lobo Tech building.

Warren followed him with Angel in his arms. He turned his head to whisper near her ear, "Angel, we need you to tell us what you feel. We need to know what’s up ahead. Can you do that?"

"Yes," she said, her lips grazing his neck as she spoke.

Warren became aware of the intimate hold he had on her. Her breasts were ample enough that, despite his polymer armor, he could feel them pressed into his chest, her lips rested against the pulse point in his neck and her thumb massaged the base of his skull with his every step. He began to get aroused and if he hadn’t been so concerned for her welfare, he’d have put her down to distance himself. He chalked his response up to the Darwinian need to reproduce after a life and death situation. He ignored his growing erection and got his mind back on their current predicament by concentrating on Logan who stalked in front of him searching for signs of danger.

They started to walk past the dead bodies and Angel whispered, "Oh, God!" against his neck. Warren realized she must be getting the ‘intimate’ details now that they were so close and sped up his pace, almost walking onto Logan’s heels. At Logan’s questioning glance, he turned his head and pressed against Angel’s cheek, "We’re too close to the bodies. She’s getting info she really shouldn’t."

Logan nodded and moved so he was close to Warren’s shoulder and distracted Angel by telling her, "If we get into another fight, he’ll need to put you down. Don’t run away to far. There’s more werewolves and we need you near us so we can keep you safe."

Angel nodded in response, but she could still sense the blood from the various cooling bodies as it mixed with the muck on the floor. Sense the entry and exit wounds from Logan’s claws and the damage they did to living flesh. She shuddered and Warren shifted her in his arms, tightening his hold on her again and trying to give her reassurance with his warm presence.

Logan trotted ahead of them. Near the bend in the corner, he stopped and waited for them to catch up to him. "Where are they?" he whispered into Angel’s ear.

"I can’t sense any," she whispered back.

Logan frowned and asked, "How far can you sense?"

"Into Lobo Tech," she replied still whispering.

Logan looked at Warren and his voice rose to normal pitch, "Something stinks."

Warren didn’t take the obvious pot shot as he looked at Logan’s disheveled appearance. "Angel, can you tell if there is someone else in the area?" he asked her.

"There isn’t anyone living," she said a little louder.

Logan grunted and headed out, moving quickly around the corner and down the tunnel. Warren caught up to him at the open metal door leading into the hallway under the Lobo Tech building.

"Lights are out," Logan said as they arrived. "Angel, what’s goin’ on, Darlin’?"

She closed her eyes and relaxed in Warren’s arms, her arm leaving his neck and folding down in her lap. After a moment she said, "I don’t sense anyone. They’ve cut the wires, that’s why there aren’t any lights."

Logan asked, "Where are they?"

"I can’t sense them from here, they’re to far away. They’re not in the building or anywhere nearby."

"What else can you tell us?" Warren asked her.

"Some of the furniture has been moved around. The laptop is missing."

Logan’s head snapped sharply to glare at her, "What laptop? You said these were living quarters."

"Well," she said showing more animation, "I didn’t know you wanted a tour."

Warren smirked, "She’s right, Logan. We were a little busy at the time."

"You could have told us about the fuckin’ laptop!" Logan exclaimed aggravated.

"How was I supposed to know?!" Angel asked.

"You know we came here to find out information! You could have told us there was a fuckin’ laptop in one of the rooms!" Logan yelled at her.

"I was scared! What do you want me to say? I’m sorry!" Angel shouted back.

"Damn it! Too little too late! You were supposed to recon the perimeter and you didn’t fulfill your mission!" Logan continued.

"Mission? What mission? I thought I was doing you two a favor!"

"We probably just lost what we came here for! Our objective was to locate intelligence on the connection between Worthington Enterprises and the Werewolves!"

"Hold on a minute, G. I. Joe! I didn’t realize I was drafted! This Barbie don’t play those games!" She struggled in Warren’s arms. "Put me down!"

Warren held on to her, "Whoa! Calm down! Both of you! We’re not getting anywhere fast. Logan, we still don’t know if there is any other information we could get from these rooms. Angel, please tell us what else is left."

Angel stopped struggling and glared at Logan. She opened her mouth to say something, then thought better of it and turned to look at Warren, "Put me down."

Warren sighed and glanced at Logan as he put her down. He held onto her waist to make sure she was steady on her feet.

She brushed off his hands and flipped her braid behind her hitting him in the shoulder with it. Her arm came up and wiped at the gore and sewage Logan had put on her face with his hands, but she only smeared it around. She looked at the doorway and said, "There is a kitchen area with the refrigerator and a hot plate, and I don’t sense anything out of the ordinary there. Four of the rooms have a lot of bunk beds, like a barracks I guess, nothing special there. One of the rooms has only two beds, that is where the laptop was and the place feels ransacked. There’s stuff all over, papers, CD’s, disks. You may want to go there, but we’ll need light to see anything."

Logan started into the hallway, "Which room is that?"

"Second room on your right," she told him crossing her arms in front of her chest.

Logan pulled the lighter out of his pocket and ignited it, illuminating a small area around him. He arrived at the appointed room and looked around. He saw a bed on either side of the room, a chest of drawers, a small table, and a kerosene lantern. He walked over and lifted the lantern and determined there was some fuel in it. He lit the wick and the room lighted up even more.

"The last room is like a storage room. Food, candles, emergency supplies like that. A table and chairs, tools, some boxes full of plastic, fuel cans, some boxes with containers of liquid in them, electronic parts. I could keep going, there’s a mix of stuff in it," she continued telling Warren as he led her into the hallway as the light from the kerosene lamp flickered into view. "It feels like they went through it, too."

They arrived at the second door to find Logan picking up disks and papers off the floor. Warren immediately began opening the drawers in the chest. Angel watched the men for a moment then walked out of the room.

"How did you know making her angry would bring her out of shock?" Warren asked quietly knowing Logan would hear his question.

Logan walked up to Warren and handed him a couple of disks. "Nothing like riling up a woman to make her forget she’s supposed to be afraid," he said. "Chuck said she’s a teacher from Berkley. Those folks hate the military so I used some jargon."

Angel walked over to what she had identified as a storage or workroom. Something didn’t feel right about some of the candles. The tubes were in a pile in one corner of the room and they weren’t candles, she realized, they had small granules inside of them. There was also something electronic attached to them.

She ran into the other room and grabbed the lantern. "Guys!" she yelled frantically as she returned to the storage room. Her fears were confirmed as the light illuminated a large pile of tubes attached to a clock as it counted down to zero. It was at twelve seconds when she saw it.

She dropped the lantern and ran towards the men who had entered the room, yelling, "It's gonna blow!"

They raced out the doorway into the sewers and started running back up the tunnel. Angel could feel the beginnings of the first flash of detonation. Instinctively, she turned and raised her hands, focusing all her senses. A rippling wave of kinetic energy expanded from her hands in response forming a barrier to the explosion.

Her shield blocked the wall of fire as it expanded into their side of the sewer system, but it was not enough to stop the concussive force of the detonation. They were picked up by the wave of energy and catapulted down the tunnel and slammed into the wall as it curved to the side. Angel lost consciousness when they struck the concrete wall mere yards away. Her shield dissipated and they were pummeled by wreckage as the debris from the explosion landed around them.

Manhole covers within a mile radius popped off flipping into the air, one landing on a car as it drove past. The Lobo Tech building was again engulfed in flames as a billowing fireball rose into the air. The burned out husk of a building began to tilt as the floor below it collapsed. The groan of metal girders and cracking concrete escalated until the walls of the building collapsed into the hole below it causing a domino effect as the rest of the multi-story building fell sideways into the street, breaking through into the damaged sewer below.

Lights flashing and sirens screaming, emergency vehicles arrived on the scene within minutes stopping several yards from the open holes in the street. The firemen ran to douse the fires encompassing the broken building and surrounding area.

One of the firemen noticed the Harley lying on its side not to distant from the wreckage. "Hey, get an officer over here! There may have been casualties, there’s a motorcycle in the lot!" he called into the radio in his helmet as he ran the water hose to the nearest fire.

After the fire chief communicated this to a police officer, the search began. Running the license plate in their system, they identified it as belonging to The Xavier Institute. When word got out of the origin of the motorcycle, several of the officers came to the same conclusion from their many official interactions with Logan/Wolverine over the years that it must be his Harley. An officer called the Institute and spoke to Professor Xavier and determined that Wolverine had also left with Archangel and a blonde woman named Doctor Green. The search began in earnest for the three missing people.

Not finding anyone topside, the officer in charge and the fire chief both decided that a search of the sewer systems would be necessary.

Two officers went down the nearest manhole and radioed that they couldn’t get past the broken building on one side of the tunnel. Two more officers were dispatched to find a manhole on the other side.

The first set of officers soon radioed that they’d gone the extent of the debris field but could find no sign of anyone. The second set of officers had just arrived at the bottom of the ladder from their manhole when their flashlights picked out the outline of footprints in the muck.

Up above on the surface, one of the Institute’s Blackbirds landed in the cleared area on the other side of the scene of destruction and several X-team members came running out.

After Scott landed the plane, Nightcrawler teleported into the midst of a group of official looking people. "Have you found them?" he asked.

One of the radios squawked, "Captain? We found some footprints down here! The wreckage doesn’t go much further past where we are so we’re going to start heading towards the building."

The Captain picked up his radio looking at Nightcrawler, "Ten four, Walkowski. The people from the Institute just arrived. You’ll be having some help real soon."

Walkowski responded, "Uh, Captain? We’ve found bodies! Werewolves! Lots of them! We’re going to need the Coroner. It looks like Wolverine really cut loose!" There was a shout in the background. "Captain, we’ve found Archangel! I repeat we’ve found Archangel!"

Chapter 6

Annie Ghazikhanian walked into the Institute’s Infirmary straightening her nurse uniform with one hand and balancing her breakfast tray in the other. She was a thin woman in her early thirties with dark hair and, as far as she knew, the only pure human working at the Institute. Previously she had been working at a state run hospital and by chance she had found out that the long time unnamed comatose patient she had fallen in love with was Alex Summers, the brother of Scott Summers from the Xavier Institute. The Professor had gratefully requested she stay on since the Institute didn’t have a permanent medical team. She had divorced her mutant husband and thought it would be a good thing to work in a place where he wouldn’t be able to harass her or their five-year-old son, Carter, so she had accepted his offer.

She knew Scott Summers had taken the night watch and was probably waiting for her to arrive so he could go to bed. She surreptitiously glanced at the clock on the far wall and saw it was five minutes before seven in the morning. "Good morning," she said cheerfully heading over to the counter and putting her tray down.

Scott sat in the chair that had become a regular fixture next to Doctor Green’s bed. He had pulled over a bed table and was using it to support his laptop computer and a cup of instant coffee. He finished typing and looked up with a smile, "Good morning. Logan stopped by last night and said he’d fill in for you so you could take a break and join the rest of us during the barbeque this afternoon."

"That’s nice of him," she said as she walked over to the machines behind Doctor Green’s bed and checked their readings. "Has Doctor McCoy been in?"

"Last time he came in was around one in the morning. He got some blood from Angel and left."

She nodded, "He told me he wanted blood samples every six hours and I would need to do it first thing when I came in this morning." She headed over to the cabinets under the counter and began taking medical supplies out in preparation to draw samples of Angel’s blood.

Scott saved his work and closed down his computer. "Has he told you anything about her condition?" he asked.

"Not really," she replied, her voice slightly echoing back from the open cupboard. "He’s been working in that lab of his day and night ever since you brought the three of them back from White Plains. Mr. Logan and Mr. Worthington got better on their own in just a few days because of their regeneration abilities. And although Doctor Green has recently been healing faster than was originally expected, he said her DNA is still ‘in flux’."

"In flux?" he asked, surprised. "Did Hank actually use that term?"

She placed some items on a tray, nodded and smiled, "I think he simplified the true technical jargon he normally would have used because Mr. Logan was here when he said it."

"Yeah," He smiled as if they shared a secret, "science isn’t Logan’s strong point."

"I think he knows more than you give him credit for," she turned around to look at him. "He can hear better than most people and he doesn’t necessarily have to be in the same room to hear what’s being said. I think most of you forget that."

Before Scott could reply, the doors opened and a large blue feline looking mutant wearing glasses, a rumpled white lab coat over jeans and an equally rumpled Xavier Institute gray polo shirt walked in. "Ah, good," the newcomer said with a deep rumble in his voice when he spied Annie, "you’re getting everything ready."

"Good morning, Doctor McCoy," Annie said surprised to see him.

"Good morning, Hank," Scott said. "Could you give me an update on Angel’s status? I’m going to go up and talk to Charles before I hit the sack and I wanted to tell him the latest."

"Good morning!" Hank replied to both of them. He smelled toast, honey and orange juice, "Annie, I see you brought your breakfast. Why don’t I draw the samples from Angel while you go ahead and get started on it?" He walked over to Annie and picked up the medical tray she had prepared.

"Thank you, Doctor McCoy," she said with a smile and grabbed a chair to put next to her breakfast tray.

"I’ve determined that Doctor Green, Angel," Hank said, "has been healing faster than normal because she still has some of Warren’s blood in her."

"Still?" Scott asked. "It’s been four days since you separated them. I thought Warren’s blood worked to regenerate the tissue and then was absorbed into the recipients system."

"That’s how we think it has worked before," Hank said putting the tray down on the sickbed and picking up a band of rubber from the tray. "We haven’t actually tracked it and she did receive an extraordinarily large dose with Warren’s bones having snapped and piercing through her body. They were a mess when they arrived here and Warren was starting to heal right through and into her." While he talked, he reached under the covers and pulled Angel’s arm out and wrapped the band around her bicep, tying a loose knot. Then he cleaned the inside of her elbow with alcohol and a cotton swab.

"I read her chart and you put down the amount of regenerative cells in each blood sample. It was really high during the first two days then it began to decline and now it’s back up. Do you have an explanation for that?"

Hank picked up a needle and a small four-inch vial with a red top, "No. It’s possible she picked up a secondary infection from the sewage and the remaining regenerative cells came to the fore. It might have something to do with the foreign chemical’s I’ve detected in her blood, also. I’m hoping this," and he motioned at her prepared arm, "blood sample will give me more definitive information." He took the lid off the needle and carefully inserted it into her arm. He pushed the red stoppered top of the vial into the back of the needle and deep red liquid shot up the length of the vial as the vacuum inside of it sucked the blood out of her vein. He loosened the knot on the band, pulling it off and tossed it back onto the tray.

"What about the data from the monitoring equipment?" Scott asked after waiting until Hank pulled the needle out of Angel’s arm and taped a cotton ball over the puncture. "Wouldn’t they have given you the information if she was developing a fever from a secondary infection?"

Hank shook his head, "Not necessarily. Not if it was healed almost before it began."

"Have you figured out what the chemical’s are?"

"I’ve identified blood plasma from the werewolves they fought, but there is still something else. I have the computers working on trying to find a match or at least a close match. The strange thing is that all three of them had the chemicals in their blood stream when they arrived, but only Angel still carries it. I’m going to get more blood samples from Warren and Logan today and run more tests to make sure they’re clean and compare them to what is in Angel’s samples." Hank carefully replaced the lid of the needle and put it back in his tray, then he picked up a label and put it on the vial. Scott could see that it identified the sample by name of donor and time and date of donation. "I just wish we’d had the opportunity to run a complete physical on Angel before she’d left to go to White Plains," Hank sighed. "It would make all of this work so much easier if we’d had a baseline to go by."

"They never suspected they’d be attacked," Scott told him. "Kurt even offered to go with them, but Logan blew him off."

"All of this would have been avoided if he had," Hank said sadly, "but hindsight is always 20/20."

"When do you think Angel will be fully healed? Or more importantly, wake up?"

Hank grimaced, flashing his sharp canine teeth, "I’m not exactly sure when she will be fully healed as it may depend upon whether she still has some of Warren’s regenerative blood in her system. If so, she could be healed within a matter of hours or by tomorrow night. As for your other question, she had some severe head trauma, which is hard to diagnose so she could regain consciousness at any time. We just have to hope it will be soon because I have a lot of questions about her medical history I need answered."

"Weren’t you able to get anything through the computers?"

"No, she doesn’t seem to have ever visited a hospital in California. I found her birth records, but it seems she was born at home with a midwife and not in a hospital. The few records available are full of holes."

"What about the information on her employment paperwork?"

"They will only verify that she has the appropriate shots for working with children and I can’t get into their computer system because it isn’t connected to the Internet. If she doesn’t regain consciousness soon, I may ask Charles to persuade their receptionist to copy her files and send them to us."

"I’ll tell him about your problem and see what he says."

"I’d greatly appreciate it," Hank said as he picked up the tray from the bed. "If anyone wants to talk to me, I’ll be in my lab." He sighed and looked at Angel’s beautiful, peaceful face. He wanted to touch her, see if he could wake her up, but he knew that wouldn’t work. She would have to wake up on her own. "And if Angel wakes up, call me immediately."

"It’ll be a standing order," Scott told him. "In fact," he looked over at Annie who had been eating her breakfast, but watching and listening to them from her chair across the room, "Annie, I want you to contact Charles the moment Angel wakes up and he will make sure all the appropriate people know. Make sure everyone who takes care of Doctor Green knows to do that also." Eating her toast, she nodded in acknowledgement.

"Good … sleep, Scott," Hank said and waved to Annie who waved back and he left the Infirmary with the metal tray and blood sample from Angel in his hands.

Scott picked up his laptop and coffee and nodded at Annie who again waved goodbye. He threw one last look at Angel before he, too, left the Infirmary on his way to Charles’ office.

*

It was a few hours later when Charles received a call from Annie, "Professor, Doctor Green is awake."

"Thank you, Annie. Is she prepared to receive visitors?" he asked with a sense of propriety.

"Doctor McCoy said he had to speak with her when she wakes up so she can answer some medical questions, but she’s very groggy and I don’t think she has the strength for a long conversation," she replied with concern.

"Thank you for your input, Annie. I’ll take it into consideration when I alert the others that Doctor Green has finally awakened," Charles told her and he hung up the phone. Mentally he contacted Jean and then extended the link as he also contacted Scott, Hank, and Logan. *I have good news,* his mental voice carried a smile in it, *Angel has finally gained consciousness, but according to Annie she’s still very groggy and will not have the strength for long conversation. Hank needs to ask her several medical questions, but the rest of you can stop by and say hello briefly.* He cut off the mental links to stop them from asking him questions he couldn’t answer.

Hank immediately grabbed the list of questions he had created specifically for when Angel woke up, left his lab and walked down the corridor to the medical suite. He headed straight for her sickbed and barely gave Annie, who was standing next to Angel’s sickbed, an acknowledging nod before grabbing her medical chart and sitting down in the chair next to the bed. "Angel, my name is Hank and I need you to answer several medical questions for me," he said gently is voice rumbling slightly.

Angel was still very pale and she had a frown on her face as she said, "You’re blue."

It wasn’t exactly the response he was expecting and Hank couldn’t stop a smile from creeping over his face as if to a child he said, "Yes, I’m blue." And to stop the inevitable ‘why’ he explained, "I tried a chemical combination on myself and it transformed me into a blue furred genetically devolving Beast. I’m also the Institute’s resident Biochemist and I need to know a few things about you. Can you answer some questions for me?"

"I knew what you felt like," Angel replied tiredly, "but I expected you to be a tawny yellow or black or both. You surprised me and that doesn’t happen often." Dreamily, she smiled and reached out a hand as if to stroke him, "I love blue. It’s my favorite color." Her hand fell short by a foot and ended up resting on the covers of the bed.

Hank looked at Annie in dismay, "She doesn’t seem very cognizant, has she had any medication recently?"

"She hasn’t had anything within the last two hours," Annie said shaking her head and continued apologetically, "I was told to contact Professor Xavier the moment she woke up. She’s been like this from the moment I realized she was awake. In fact I don’t know exactly when she woke up. I’ve been reading and when I got up to check the machines, I saw that her eyes were open. She never made a sound or gave away the fact that she was awake."

"Hmmm," he sighed, the sound rolling in his chest creating a purring sound. "I don’t think she’s ready to answer any questions just yet."

"Sorry," Annie apologized, "but you did request—"

Hank held up a hand, stopping her defense, "It was a standing order. We should have realized that Angel wouldn’t necessarily wake up cognizant."

Logan was the second to arrive. He wasn’t quite sure of his welcome so he was hesitant when he actually entered the room. Annie sat across the room at her usual chair and she motioned for him to come in. Hank still sat in the bedside chair with a clipboard in his lap. "Hey, Darlin’," he said with a tentative smile as he approached the foot of Angel’s bed.

Her bed had been raised at the head so she was partially sitting up and a tray table was drawn across her lap holding a plate of crackers and a pitcher of ice water. Angel was drinking from a plastic cup, she put it down and smiled, "Hello."

"How’re ya feelin’?" he asked, his tentative smile turning into a full smile as he realized she wasn’t angry at him for her ending up in the Infirmary.

"Tired … hungry … thirsty," she answered slowly. "What’s today?"

Logan quickly looked at Hank, he wasn’t sure what was okay to tell her.

Hank answered, "Saturday. Today is Saturday."

"Oh, I guess it’s okay that the kids aren’t in class right now," she said airily.

Hank wrote something down on his clipboard and asked, "Angel, what is the range of your scanning ability right now? How far out can you feel?" His pen poised for her response.

Angel looked at Hank, blinked at him slowly and then her eyes lost focus, "Scott and Jean are coming down in the elevator. There are people in the swimming pool and Jacuzzi’s. It feels like there’s a party going on. There’s a car with two people in it that just turned to come down the drive."

"That’s Bobby and Paige," Logan explained to Hank. "They went to go get stuff for the party this afternoon."

Hank nodded and continued to write on his clipboard. "What else can you sense," he asked when he was finished writing.

Tiredly she asked, "Please be more specific." She flinched and growled, "Déjà vu."

Logan gave her a sharp glance, "Hank, why don’ you ask ‘er those medical questions ya wanted answered."

Getting the hint, Hank quickly changed the subject, "For any reason have you ever been admitted to a hospital or medical care facility?" Angel seemed better after having some solid food and water.

"No."

Hank began to make notes on his clipboard as he began his questioning, "Do you have a family doctor?"

"Not quite. When I was young, we used to go to Doctor Thomas Silver, but he retired ten years ago. There’s a family practice group, Berkeley Family Medical, that took my insurance and I’ve been using them ever since."

Hank nodded, "We contacted them and they sent us some of your records. I’m going to need you to sign a release form to have them send us your entire file. Do you know what happened to your records with Doctor Silver?"

"No." Perplexed, she asked, "Why would you need records that far back?"

Hank brushed off her question with one of his own, "Were both your parents mutants?"

"My mother was."

"Was?"

"My mother and her life partner died in a motorcycle accident five years ago."

Hank looked up from his notes. He said softly, "I’m sorry to hear that. What was her mutation?"

"Similar to my spatial awareness, but it only went a couple hundred yards."

"You said she had a life partner?"

"My parents were lesbians."

Hank was only slightly surprised, mutants came from all different walks of life. "Do you know who your father is?"

Angel shook her head, "No. At a peace rally, some men found out my mother and her partner were lesbians. They were both gang raped and left for dead, but some other people from the rally found them. When my mother found out she was pregnant, they decided to keep the baby."

"Do you know if a police report was ever filed?"

"Yes, there was. After they died, I found their copy of it. There wasn’t anything useful in trying to find out who my father was. It was just a gang of eight to twelve white men between the ages of sixteen to twenty-five. There were so many of them my parents couldn’t be sure enough to help the police make a sketch of one of them. Or they were too afraid. Either way there wasn’t anything I could go by."

Hank wrote the information down. He’d already planned on running a DNA test on her blood for their databanks later, but now he’d move it up and see if they had anything that might match or come close. It would be interesting to see if they did.

"You’ve never seen the original report?" Logan asked, still standing at the foot of the bed.

Angel shook her head, "No, even if it had more information, I wouldn’t spend the effort to find out who he is."

Hank went back to the medical questions, "Did you have any childhood diseases?"

"Chicken pox and Measles."

The doors opened and Scott and Jean entered.

Logan smiled at them, "She knew you were comin’."

"Good," Scott said with some relief. Angel had had severe head trauma when they’d first been brought back to the Institute and there had been some discussion about whether her mutant abilities would still be working. Logan moved over to the other side of her bed to make room for them next to her bed.

When Scott saw her confused frown he explained, "Because of the head injury you had when you first arrived, we weren’t sure if there had been any damage to your brain or ability."

Angel reached up and felt behind her head.

Hank shot Scott an irritated glance and Jean caught it.

Although the back of her head was slightly tender, Angel couldn’t feel any bumps, but she could feel dirt and grease in her hair, "I need a shampoo."

"Do you feel up to taking a shower or a bath?" Jean asked with a smile, quickly jumping on the topic to avoid any questions Angel might have about her injuries. When Angel nodded, Jean looked over to Annie who had been silently waiting and watching from her chair across the room.

"If she’s still up to it after Doctor McCoy’s questions," Annie said in answer to her silent question. "I don’t want to tax her strength."

Jean nodded, "Then we shouldn’t stay and distract her." She grabbed Scott’s arm, "Angel we’re really glad you’re awake. We’ll come by later when you’re up to more conversation."

"But I needed to ask her about the explosion," Scott began with a frown, but a look from his wife silenced him.

"Hank’s questions are more important," she said as she led him out of the room. At the doorway she stopped and looked at Logan pointedly. Mentally she told him, *I don’t think Hank wants her to think about her injuries or how long she’s been in the Infirmary. He’ll probably end up spending more time trying to explain than get the answers to his questions.* Then the doors closed behind her and Scott.

With Jean’s warning in mind, Logan said, "Darlin’, I’m glad you’re awake, but I should go. Hank’s got questions he needs answered." He walked towards the door, but before he left, he turned around and caught Annie’s attention, "I’ll be back around one so you can enjoy the party for a while."

"Thank you, Mr. Logan," she smiled. "I appreciate it."

Once Logan had exited, Hank resumed his questioning, "Did you ever have any unexplained illnesses?"

"No."

Chapter 7

After Hank was finished with his questions, Annie had helped Angel take her shower. Afterwards, Annie gave Angel more medication and watched her drink two glasses of water before she left her alone so she could sleep.

Shortly before one, Logan walked into the Infirmary wearing jeans cut off at mid thigh and a cowboy hat. He glanced at Angel in her bed and saw that she was sleeping. He finished the last of his beer and gently placed it into the large trashcan near the door. He walked over to Annie who had put down her book and picked up a clipboard. "The music’s blarin’ and the food’s done cookin’," he told her. "Ororo said she’d save you some room in the jaccuzi, but you better hurry."

Annie handed him the clipboard, which had Angel’s medical chart on it, "She got that shower she wanted, but it really tired her out and she’s been asleep ever since. If she wakes up, she can have more meds at two or any time after. I’ve put them on the tray in that Dixie cup. Make sure she drinks plenty of water with it. The fridge has bottled water if she wants it cold. If she’s hungry, there’s also a bowl of soup in the fridge and you can heat it up in the microwave. The crackers are—"

"I got it handled," Logan stopped her with a condescending smile. "Ya go, take your time and enjoy yourself. You’ve been cooped up in here for days and your son’s been askin’ when ya was gonna be comin’ up."

"Did you see what Carter ate for lunch?" she asked reaching down and picking up a cloth tote and popping her book into it.

"Don’ know. You’ll ‘ave to ask Juggernaut, he’s been watchin’ ‘im."

"Oh, then he’s alright. Mr. Marko will make sure he eats a good lunch."

"You trust ‘im?" Logan asked, a little skeptical of a known criminal like Cain "Juggernaut" Marko’s ability to watch children.

"Professor Xavier assured me that his stepbrother, Mr. Marko, would never let anything happen to any of the children. It’s one of the reasons he’s allowed to stay and been remanded to Professor Xavier’s custody." She flung the tote over her shoulder, "Anyways, he’s been watching Carter on and off almost since he arrived at the Institute."

"Juggernaut’s been your babysitter?" Logan’s voice rose in incredulity.

"Shhh," she hushed him and motioned towards Angel’s sleeping form. "Yes, he’s still learning and I wouldn’t trust him with a child under three yet, but with a little supervision he’s become an excellent babysitter." Before the door closed behind her, she said quietly, "He may even be better than you."

Logan heard her comment and he frowned at the thought that someone like Juggernaut could take care of children better than he could. He started to put Angel’s chart back in it’s place at the foot of her bed and realized that he didn’t want to continue thinking in that vein.

As a distraction, he pulled her chart back out and looked at it, reading the latest information on his charge. His interest was piqued by the fact that she was still healing her injuries so quickly. Warren‘s blood should have gone through her system days ago, but according to her chart, all of her injuries had healed. Hank had even made a note that her blood samples continued to contain the same healing factor that Warren’s did. The last entry was from Annie, she had written down in her visual inspection of Angel’s body taken while giving her a shower, that few bruises remained and that other than exhaustion and dehydration her patient seemed physically fit. It had taken a few days longer than Warren or himself, but Angel was fully healed after an explosion that, technically even with their regenerative ability, should have killed all three of them.

Warren had received the initial damage report from the inspectors yesterday, Friday afternoon, and let him read it. The explosion had damaged buildings in a quarter mile radius either from the initial blast shattering windows or from the spread of fire. The street above the sewers and the sewers themselves were going to have major construction to get them working again. There had been a strange note about how the damage to the sewers was more extreme from a certain point in the sewers away from where the three of them had been found. The debris pattern didn’t correspond with the available data and they were going to conduct further investigations to figure out why. The Lobo Tech building itself had literally been disintegrated. Some of the concrete was powdering and a few of the metal structural beams had melted from the extreme heat. Warren had told him it was a total write off and his insurance company was going to handle it, but he expected to see bills from all the claimants totaling in the hundreds of millions of dollars soon. Good thing Warren was rich.

He put Angel’s chart back into the slot at the foot of the bed and stared at her for a moment. When he talked to Hank he’d said that if she hadn’t flown into Warren in the initial blast she’d be dead. Not even at the Institute twenty-four hours and he would’ve gotten her killed. He knew he would‘ve blamed himself because he was the one who had overheard her conversation in the cafeteria and told Warren about it. Hell, he‘d even been the one to encourage Warren to talk her into going with them. Damn his luck.

With a sigh, he turned away from her and went in search of the television remote, finding it he turned the television on. The television was already at a low volume so he took off his hat and got settled in a bed. He adjusted it so he could watch the television and flip channels without getting a crick in his neck and kicked back to relax in the relative quiet of the Infirmary.

*

It was around thirty minutes later and he was wishing he’d thought to bring more beers with him when he noticed Angel’s heart monitor had started beeping incrementally faster. He got up and went over to check on her. Her eyes were moving under her eyelids and her breathing had gotten faster, but she still seemed to be asleep. He checked the machines, but didn’t see anything he should worry about. He decided it was a nightmare and he stroked her arm through the covers as he said softly, "It’s alright, Darlin’. No need to be afraid. You’re safe and I won’ let anything happen to ya." Soon she quieted and he smiled in triumph at helping to conquer her nightmare, "See, I told ya everything would be alright." Seeing the machines and her breathing return to normal, he went back to watching television.

"Mmmm," he heard her mumble in her sleep not less than five minutes later. "Mmmm," she murmured and turned her head away from him. She shifted her legs under the covers and sighed with a smile. She moaned and he noticed, looking at the machines, her heartbeat had started to rise once more. He got up to check on her again. He wasn’t sure if it was a nightmare this time from the noise she was making, but he was going to check it out anyways. He stood beside her bed and watched as her breathing started to come in pants. He could smell her more intensely now, she was starting to cream her underwear. He’d made her go from a nightmare to a sexual fantasy. With a grin, he crossed his arms and stood over her, watching her have a wet dream.

He wondered if her dream was with a man or a woman. Lesbians had raised her so there was a large possibility it was with a woman. Just thinking about her with a woman started to get him hot and his prick twitched in appreciation. Angel’s head turned in his direction and her tongue came out to lick her lips. He suddenly remembered her scanning ability and wondered if she was aware of him beside her. He made his prick twitch again and watched as her legs opened as if in invitation. She was good looking and he thought about fucking her. His dick swelled slightly and she moaned then licked her lips again. This was starting to get interesting. He looked at the doors to the Infirmary and didn’t see anyone approaching. He reached down and ran his hand down the front of his cutoffs, rubbing himself through the material. She groaned and her body turned towards him, her near hand coming out from under the covers and flung out, almost touching him.

"Angel?" he whispered, and then he stepped back and tried to figure out if she was awake or not. He wondered what her reaction would be if she woke up hot and horny. He could smell how aroused she was and he’d have no problems taking care of her if she asked. He waited a few moments, but she didn’t respond. He decided to test his luck and stepped forward letting her outstretched fingers touch his crotch. They twitched and curled loosely under his balls, gently caressing him through the rough fabric. He froze and waited, his dick swelling even more in anticipation.

"Logan?" Angel asked as her eyes slowly opened.

"Yeah, Darlin’," he wasn’t going to move, her hand was in a vulnerable area and he wasn’t sure if he wanted to draw attention to it.

Her nails scraped against his shorts as her fingers curled away from them. He was surprised when she raised her hand and rubbed her knuckles against his growing erection. "Do you want me?" she asked sleepily.

"Yeah, Darlin’," he said simply. He wasn’t going to beat around the bush, he’d rather be in it. "I want you."

She was a little more awake and she moved the bedcovers back, "I want you, too."

His grin turned into a full-blown smile, "I’ll be back."

"Where are you going?" she asked petulantly.

"To get a condom," he responded.

"I’m clean and protected," she answered sounding fully awake now. "I’m on Norplant." She reached over and touched the underside of her left arm feeling for the little tubes that contained the anti-pregnancy hormones.

"It’s nothin’ against you, Darlin’, but I’d rather be sure. Don‘t know what‘s goin‘ on with your system right now," he told her moving towards the cabinets. Once when he’d babysat a previous invalid, he’d searched through the Infirmary just to find out what was in it and he’d found a box of condoms. He’d wondered why they were there, but he wasn’t going to ask. It would have been undignified for The Wolverine to have been caught snooping. He looked for them again and found them in the same place, the box still unopened. Checking the expiration date he saw it was still valid. He let out a sigh of relief and smiled, he wouldn’t have to leave the Infirmary to go up to his room. Holding the box in his hand, he walked over to the doors to the Infirmary and locked them. There wasn’t a privacy curtain on the main doors, but he knew there was a horseshoe shaped one that was attached to the ceiling above each sickbed. He grabbed the edge of the curtain around her bed and made the circuit to enclose them in the white fabric wall.

She sat up in the bed and pulled off her backless hospital gown revealing her nudity underneath. The top caught on her monitoring wire and she pulled at the tape keeping it connected to her finger. He helped her get it off and the monitor began making a shrill noise as it flat lined. She jumped in surprise, scowled and raised a hand to it. A rippling wave of force emanated from her
hand and the machine slammed against the wall. The monitor cracked and the whole unit crumpled like an aluminum can as it embedded itself.

"Shit!" Logan exclaimed, staring at the monitor, surprised by the new ability Angel displayed.

"Oh, no!" she was shocked at what she’d just done.

He turned to her with wide eyes, "You never told me you could do that!"

She glanced at him before returning to stare are the monitor, "I didn’t know I‘d do that!" She got down from the bed and inspected the destroyed machine. Logan pulled her back just as a last spark flared and landed on her naked flesh. "Ouch!" she exclaimed putting a hand to the burned flesh on her stomach.

"Why didn’t you tell me you could do that?" Logan asked accusingly, his arm resting beneath her breasts holding her close, her hair a silken curtain preventing his wiry chest hair from abrading her soft back.

Rubbing the smarting spot to the side of her bellybutton, she explained, "I thought I would just unplug it."

"You did more than unplug it, Darlin’," he said sarcastically, eyeing the damaged metal for more signs of sparking.

She twisted slightly, giving him a hurt look, "When I was a little kid, I could push things away. Unplugging them usually. My parents didn’t want me to use my abilities when I started school so they started punishing me when I used them."

His eyebrow rose up and he latched on to her last word, "Them? You have more?"

"I can create a ‘bubble’. I remember using it in the bathtub when my mom tried to rinse me off. The water would fall down the sides of the bubble, not touching me. I tried to use it during the explosion, but it didn’t work very well. I should have realized that if my ‘bubble’ got bigger, my ‘push’ would have also. But I didn’t realize it would do that!" she pointed at the embedded metal. "Oh, Crap! Xavier’s going to take it out of my paycheck. How much does a heart monitor ... thingy ... cost anyways?"

Logan gently turned her back to the bed by turning his body and bringing her with him, his arm still wrapped around her chest. He had a thoughtful look on his face, "Not a clue, but don’t worry ‘bout it. What’s this ‘bubble’ you can make?" He was moving her back towards the bed.

"You want me to do it here?" she motioned at the room beyond the curtain. "I think this place is too small," she said hesitantly, "I don’t want to break anything else." She moved forward, his arm releasing her, and climbed back onto the bed, her knees dangling as she sat facing him.

"So it’s big?" he moved to lift the covers for her. Thoughts of sex having been put on the back burner of his mind with the crushing of the medical machinery and her revelation that she could do more.

"Yeah," her eyes lost focus for a moment as she tried to remember, "It was really big. I remember thinking we weren’t getting away fast enough. That we were gonna get killed. That I needed to block off the sewer before the explosives went off. I remember making it," she looked at him a little disbelievingly. "It was really big. Bigger than this room. I remember fire and rocks--BIG rocks--hitting it and bouncing off, but then I was being pushed back and I lost it. I can’t remember much else." She looked at him helplessly, her hands folded in her lap.

He stared at her, "Are you sure about the rocks bouncing off?"

She nodded, "Oh yeah, there was this really big piece, flat on one side, like it was part of the sewers and it just slammed into my bubble, would have crushed me if I didn‘t have it up, and then it sort of rolled off and away. By then all I could see was fire. The bubble held it off for a bit, but I couldn’t breathe and the bubble started to get heavy like someone was pushing it. I don’t remember much after that except flying backwards and ... white stuff." She frowned at the last part, trying to remember, and then she shrugged and shook her head, giving up.

"I think you need to talk to Chuck or Jean," he said seriously, "they might be able to get in your head and figure out what happened."

"I don’t think they can," she told him. "Jean tried in California and she couldn’t do it. Professor Xavier and I discussed it at lunch when I arrived, in the cafeteria. I think it was before you walked in. And he told me he’d tried to get into my mind and he couldn’t."

"They can’t read you?" Logan was surprised. Charles was the most powerful telepath in the world as far as he knew.

"I guess not, at least that’s what I was told." Her stomach gurgled and she put a hand on it. "Excuse me," she said, embarrassed.

Remembering that he was in the Infirmary to take care of her, Logan finished gathering the covers and lifted them up in silent invitation. After she lay down correctly in the bed, he placed them over her. "Annie told me there’s some chicken soup for you in the fridge." He looked up at the time, "and you also have some pills to take."

After taking her medication and eating her soup and crackers, Angel had gone into the bathroom. Logan had casually admired her body as she moved across the room. It reminded him of their aborted attempt at sex and he quickly moved around the room gathering up the condoms and putting them back before unlocking the Infirmary doors.

Angel knew what he was doing through her senses and she smiled and then shrugged. She’d been in the mood earlier, but ... oh, well, c’est la vie. While she washed her hands, she realized she was still hungry. "Logan, is there anything else to eat?" she asked coming out of the bathroom. Her senses told her there were more crackers, but nothing substantial. "I’m still hungry, but I don’t want crackers. I want something more substantial." He looked her up and down and opened his mouth to make a suggestion when she said, "I’m not in the mood anymore, sorry. Could you get me some of the food from the party?"

Logan thought for moment, his gaze traveled over the useless crushed monitor in the wall and he smiled. "How well do you feel? You up to some travelin’?"

She smiled, "I feel fine, just hungry."

"Not sleepy?"

"Nope."

"Good, you’ll need to get some clothes on first," he looked around the room.

"There isn’t anything but hospital gowns," she informed him. He looked at her and she nodded her head while her hands motioned outwards in front of her, "I know these things."

"Then we’ll have to stop by your room upstairs," he said. "They’d kill me if I let you go around with just a hospital gown on. ‘though it‘s hot enough, you’d be more comfortable in it."

She smiled at him, "I did bring a couple of bathing suits. Professor Xavier told me you had a pool and a couple of Jacuzzis."

He nodded with a smile and advised, "You’ll need to put your gown back on before we leave." He opened up a large cabinet door, pushing aside a pair of crutches he grabbed a folded wheelchair and hauled it out.

She picked up her old gown off the floor and tossed it on the bed. She went over to a drawer in the cabinets and got out a fresh gown and put it on backwards. Then she pulled out another gown and put it on correctly. This covered her rear and her front but it bunched strangly around the shoulders and arms.

"I’ll need to remember that trick," he told her, eyeing her attire as he presented the wheelchair to her.

"We’re small enough for it to work," she smiled, "someone tall like Warren would have problems in the shoulders even if he didn’t have wings." She sat down in the wheelchair, careful to smooth the hospital gowns down her rear to protect against the cold vinyl.

He moved the feet pads down for her to rest her feet and keep them from dragging. He grabbed his hat before he moved behind the chair and pushed her out of the Infirmary and down the hall to the elevators.

Chapter 8

It was the annual Kickoff the Summer Season Saturday Pool Party at the Institute. Everyone who worked at the Institute was invited, as were the students who had not returned home for the summer. It lasted from nine in the morning until midnight although some stalwarts carried it through to dawn or later. The Activity Building located next to the pool was actually more like a large house with an extra large garage. The garage area stored the maintenance equipment for the grounds. The house side faced the Olympic size pool and two Jacuzzis. On one end, it had a dry sauna and on the other a steam sauna. They both had two doors so they could be entered from the interior or exterior.

Between it contained two changing rooms with extra swimsuits in various sizes, two large public bathrooms, a washer and dryer with a walk in linen closet in the next room full of towels, full size gym, a large storage room for gym and sports equipment, a storage room for the patio furniture during the winter and a complete kitchen with two refrigerators containing icemakers. One of the refrigerators was specifically set up to hold only drinks including beer. On the outside of the building near the pool were two showerheads. At one end of the building was a raised brick eight feet long barbeque pit with it’s own roof separate from the house extending over the area set aside for wood. There was a patio dining area off to the side near the pit along the length of the pool, which included umbrella tables, loose chairs and several large trashcans. On the other side of the dining area, was the sporting green, which was used for most of the outdoor sports that were played on grass, from football and soccer to volleyball. On the opposite side of the pool from the dining area were a set of four chain fenced tennis courts and a set of four basketball courts along the other side of the pool.

Charles, Hank, and Scott sat talking and drinking ice-cold beverages at an umbrella table in the dining area near the pool when Hank’s ears picked up Logan’s voice. Looking over, Hank spied Logan pushing Angel in a wheelchair up the sidewalk leading to the dining area. Angel wore a sky blue t-shirt with matching shorts and a pair of sandals while Logan was still only wearing his cutoff jeans and cowboy hat. Angel laughed loudly at something he said, her voice a ringing peal in a lull in the music catching several partygoers’ attention, including nurse Annie’s.

"You’re kidding!" Angel exclaimed, "Cyclops?"

"You have to see his headgear to know what I mean," Logan explained.

"Okay, but I still don’t understand why a man like Hank would call himself Beast. He’s much more intelligent—"

"Mr. Logan!" Annie yelled from the shallow end of the pool where Cain and she had been helping her son, Carter, learn how to swim. "What do you think you’re doing, bringing her out here?"

Logan and Angel exchanged a glance and Angel giggled then called out, "I broke the heart monitor!" Then she added, "And I’m still hungry!"

Annie spoke to Cain briefly before she made her way to the pool stairs.

"What?" Jean asked Ororo next to her in the Jacuzzi, "She ate the heart monitor and she’s still hungry?"

Ororo shook her head, some of her white hair falling out of it’s loose braid and laying like white lace against her dark African skin, "I didn’t understand that either."

They both got out of the roiling water and joined Annie as she walked over to the dining area. They were followed by many others at the party who hadn’t met the new teacher Professor Xavier had hired, but had heard about her miraculous survival of the explosion in White Plains.

Logan brought the wheelchair to a stop in the shade at the table occupied by the older men. "You want some water?" he asked Angel, courteously.

"I’d like a beer, but I don’t think Annie would approve."

"No, I wouldn’t," Annie said as she approached them. Jean and Ororo moved to either side of her when she stopped.

"You’re on medication, too," he reminded Angel. "I’ll check and see what’s available." He looked at Annie, "She ate what ya left for her, but she was still hungry. I thought it’ be alright to bring her out here since the heart monitor wasn’t workin’." He left them, heading towards the Activity Building and its kitchen.

"What did you mean when you said you broke the heart monitor?" Charles inquired, his clipped British voice giving his question more weight than he intended.

Angel’s eyes slid from Logan to Charles to look at his expression and then down into her lap. She hadn’t been expecting to tell a crowd what had happened and she got a minor case of stage fright. Her teeth worried her lower lip, biting it. "I … um … slammed it into the wall and crushed it," she said the last in a rush.

"What?!" Scott exclaimed looking from her to Charles and back at her.

"Logan said you’d be okay with it and I should’ve told you about my other abilities when I first arrived," she added quickly.

"Other abilities?" Hank repeated, "What else can you do?"

The crowd around them grew as the other partygoers arrived to surround them and listen to their conversation.

"Well," she said drawing out the word, "I can crush things. It used to be like a little shove or push when I was a toddler, but I guess it’s grown and turned into a pretty powerful crushing force now."

"You didn’t know?" Hank asked.

She shook her head, "I haven’t used it since then, since I was four or five. My parents told me not to use it or my other trick once I started going to school. They didn’t want me to have the double stigmas of being raised by lesbians and a mutant."

"I think she has something in common with Rogue," Ororo commented to Jean who nodded in agreement.

"What’s your other ‘trick’?" Scott asked.

"A … ‘bubble’. It’s sort of clear and things can’t get through it," she explained. "I used it during the explosion in White Plains, but like I told Logan, it didn’t work very well."

Charles, Hank and Scott all exchanged glances quickly. Charles leaned back in his chair, "How big was this ‘bubble’ you created when you used it in the sewers?"

"It blocked off the beginning of the explosion, but the force and heat was too much and I lost control of it," she said innocently.

Just as Logan is about to enter the building, Alison "Magma" Crestmere appears in the doorway carrying an unopened Snapple bottle in her hand. "Thanks," he tells her as he grabs it and heads back towards the dining area. Alison is so startled to have Logan grab the fruit drink out of her hand, which is completely out of character for him, she just stares openmouthed as he walks away. Arriving at the dining area, he makes his way through the crowd and puts the ice-cold Snapple on the table in front of Angel. "Here ya go, Darlin’," he said cheerfully, "I’ll get ya a hot dog t’ start with. You like mustard or relish?"

"Mustard," Angel smiled up at him, "Thank you." She reached over and twisted the lid open on her Snapple and took a drink.

"Logan," Charles called, stopping him from leaving, "what did Angel do to the heart monitor?"

"She pancaked it," he said matter-of-factly. "It’s ‘bout an inch thick and embedded in the wall behind her bed."

Someone in the crowd whistled at his description, and several people began to talk at once. Charles held up his hands and the crowd around the table slowly began to quiet down. "Angel," he smiled gently, "do you think you could demonstrate these other abilities of yours for us? Do you feel up to it?"

"I feel fine," Angel told him. "I don’t feel sick at all anymore, just hungry," she looked pointedly at Logan who nodded briefly and made his way back out through the crowd.

"Then let’s have you give us a small demonstration." Charles looked at the assembled crowd and locked eyes on Robert "Iceman" Drake, "Bobby, could you do us a favor and create some targets on the green for Angel to knock down?"

"Sure!" Bobby replied and the crowd parted to allow him a direct route to the large grassy area nearby.

"Bobby!" Logan called from the large barbeque shed at the end of the dining area. Bobby stopped on the edge of the green and turned to look inquiringly at him. Logan spread his hands wide, "Big! She’ll pulverize anything small!" Bobby gave him a disbelieving look and then searched out Charles in the crowd.

"Do as Logan says!" Charles advised.

"Okay!" Bobby said shaking his head and heading towards the end third of the green.

While Bobby started creating large, tall ice sculptures, Logan brought Angel a plate with a hot dog in a bun with a packet of mustard and a small green salad with a packet of ranch dressing. "Let’s see how you do on this," he told her as he placed the plate and clear plastic silverware in front of her.

Angel put the condiments on her food and began to eat while he grabbed a chair from another table set and brought it over next to her wheelchair and then headed back to the food area.

Several of the crowd walked over to watch Bobby as he created huge ice sculptures, some of them giving him suggestions for the sculptures. The rest of the crowd returned to their previous pursuits, knowing that the ‘show’ would start after Angel finished eating her lunch.

Logan returned with two bottled beers in his hands and set one down on the table and twisted the other open as he sat down. Angel noticed the label wasn’t familiar and she turned it so she could read the title section, Molson Canadian Lager.

"Molson Canadian?" she asked him. "Is it any good?"

"American beer tastes like piss. When you’re off your meds, I’ll introduce ya t’ real beer," he said and took a swig from his bottle.

Angel raised an eyebrow at him as she picked up her fork and took a bite of salad. She ate slowly, chewing her food thoroughly, although what she really wanted to do was wolf it down and have Logan get her another plate.

"Why did you ‘pancake’," Hank sent Logan a glance, "the heart monitor?"

Logan took another swig of beer, but his eyes went sideways to look at Angel. He’d let her decide if she would explain their almost sexual liaison or lie about the circumstances. She chose the lie as she quickly said, "I had a bad dream, a nightmare about the werewolves in the sewers. I was dreaming that I had discovered another cache of crates further up the sewer line when a wave of them came up the sewer tunnel."

"Another cache?" Logan asked.

She turned to him, "Yeah, it felt so real, too," she said sincerely. "I’d swear there was another room or something further up the tunnel from where I climbed that ladder. Like it had been on the edge of my scanning, but I was too scared to notice." She shook herself, "Thank God it was just a nightmare."

"Do you think it was really there?" Logan asked.

"I don’t know," she replied, "but the dream changed right around then. You climbed the ladder and told me I was safe, then it really started to get bizarre after that."

"Bizarre, huh?" Logan remembered she’d immediately gone into a wet dream. He leaned back in his chair and his face got thoughtful, maybe she’d responded so easily to his advances because she’d been dreaming about him. Maybe … He began to smile in his contemplation.

Scott shrugged and offered, "If there had been one, the city would have found it when they did the damage inspection."

"How far were you able to sense underground?" Hank asked. "In the sewers?"

Angel screwed up her face, "Well it depended upon the tunnels themselves. In thick areas I can only sense maybe a quarter mile, in thin up to a half." Scott stared at her in surprise, he hadn’t expected her answer.

"Doesn’t the dirt and concrete stop your scanning?" Hank followed up.

"Not as much as you’d think," she smiled. "I scan constantly so if I move around in an area I can create something like a map in my mind and areas I wasn’t able to scan before I might scan the other side or even the topside if I’m walking around on the sidewalks and therefore I’ll know what’s in the middle of two tunnels. I could probably still draw a fairly good map of the Berkeley sewers right now. They were my favorite place to explore when I was ten."

"Even walking on the sidewalks?" Scott interjected.

"Yeah. When my parents found out I was going into the tunnels they started worrying about transients so I was restricted to above ground."

"No, I mean—" Scott tried to correct himself.

"She scans 360 horizontal and vertical," Logan said, getting his mind back to the matter at hand.

"That’s," Scott pointed at Logan, "what I was trying to get clarified in my mind."

"In a two mile radius, four miles diameter," Angel further explained as she took another bite of salad.

"Extraordinary," Hank stared at her.

Scott’s eyebrows raised up and he mouthed the words, "four miles."

"Thank you, but I didn’t have much choice in it. My range just got larger as I got older." She frowned in remembrance, "Although I probably had something to do with that when I was a teenager. I actually tried to practice going further with my scans, pushing what I could do."

"So your range might have been trained?" Hank inquired, curious to understand her mutation.

"It might, but my range still increased without my trying as I got older." She put an elbow on the table and her chin in her hand, "Of course, I was using it more and more, too. Relying on it to tell me what traffic was like ahead of me on the morning commute was the most common thing I did. Hmmm. I never thought about it like a trained ability before. I thought it was just something I could do." Her other hand put her fork into her salad and brought it to her mouth without her looking at her fork or her plate.

A phone rang inside the Activity Building twice before someone inside picked it up. There was a blur of movement as someone streaked from the Activity Building to stand next to Charles. The blur became a tall thin man with blue eyes and black hair with silver streaks that covered his slightly tapering ears wearing black swim shorts with silver striping up the side. There was a portable phone handset in his hand that he was holding out to Charles. "Charles, it’s a telephone transfer from the emergency line. He says his name’s Cable and it’s urgent that he speak to Archangel right away." Angel would swear she’d seen a picture of the man with the phone somewhere.

"Thank you, Jean-Paul," Charles said as he took the phone and put it to his ear. "This is Xavier," he said into the phone. Angel noticed how the other men at the table reacted to the name Cable. Scott had tensed up and leaned forward with a look of concern on his face. Hank looked curious and maybe concerned. And Logan, although he was in a relaxed position in his chair taking another swallow of his beer, she knew his muscles had tensed up and he was ready to spring into action at the slightest provocation. Logan could hear Cable’s voice on the phone, "I can’t get hold of Archangel and need to talk to him."

"‘Cable’?" Angel asked Logan, "That’s another code name, right?"

Logan looked at her over his bottle and nodded. Taking the bottle from his lips he said, "He’s a relative of Scott’s."

"Why’d everyone tense up at his name?" she continued.

Logan straightened up in his chair throwing a glance at the other men around the table. The rest of the men looked directly at her, including Charles.

Charles was still looking at her as he responded to Cable on the phone, "Don’t you have his cell phone number?"

Cable was saying, "Yes, but I’m just getting the answering machine."

"Hmmm. He may be on his way here from New York. He told me he was going to work a partial day to catch up on paperwork when I told him I was giving the staff a day off and we were planning on having a pool party and barbeque this afternoon. It’s Saturday here in the United States."

"Darlin’, Cable used to be the leader of one of our agent teams. He can take care of himself in a lot of situations, but when he calls and says it’s urgent," Logan advised her, "it usually means the shit’s about to hit the fan and several of us are gonna be leavin’."

"I need to talk to him the moment he shows up," Cable was saying. "I have information that the terrorist organization I’ve been tracking in the Middle East have plans to try an attack on some of his buildings in San Francisco. I checked my contacts in California and a few of them have gotten back to me and so far it’s been verified."

"Where are you right now?" Charles asked.

"I’m over the Atlantic right now, should be at JFK in three hours. If Archangel can’t bother himself, I’m catching the next flight to SFO as soon as I get there," Cable informed him.

"Shit!" Logan stood up, leaned forward over the table with his hand stretched out to Charles. "Give me the phone. Let me talk to him," he demanded.

Charles shifted his gaze from Angel to Logan. "Wolverine’s been working with Archangel on some other attacks to Worthington Enterprises buildings and he wants to talk to you," he then handed the phone to Logan.

"I heard what you told Chuck," Logan said into the phone. "What’ve you got?" he asked as he walked away onto the green, phone to his ear in one hand and beer in the other.

Angel was still trying to figure out where she’d seen Jean-Paul. "Jean-Paul?" she said trying to get his attention before he walked away. "You look familiar. What’s your last name? Are you an X-Corporation agent?"

Jean-Paul had been watching Logan as he walked away. The way Logan reacted to the phone call made him concerned. He hoped it didn’t mean there’d been another incident somewhere similar to what had happened at White Plains. He was surprised by the blonde woman’s questions. "Beaubier," he told her. "Recently, I’ve become an X-man. I used to belong with Alpha Flight out of Canada. Maybe you remember me from there?"

"What’s your agent name?" Now she began to remember where she’d seen his photograph. More than a few of the male dancers with her troupe had been homosexuals and they had their own favorite sports and media stars that they hero-worshipped. Mr. Beaubier was one of them, he went by the name—

"Northstar," Jean-Paul answered with a smile.

"Oh, my Gawd!" Angel squealed happily, her Californian accent showing. Then she exclaimed, "Awesome! I totally know who you are! You’re even better looking in person! Oh, I wish I had my digital camera! They—will—not—believe—this! Ty is gonna kill me!"

Everyone was very surprised with Angel’s reaction, Jean-Paul most of all. Placing a hand on his chest, he asked, "You know who I am?"

"Yaw," she said with a valley girl-like twist of her blonde head. "You wrote the book ‘Born Normal’. Your one of the first openly gay mutants and you were even part of one of your government’s agent teams. You’re a big celebrity in the homosexual community. I just never expected to meet you here or see you dressed like that." She smiled slyly, "The guys would kill for a picture."

"You’re involved in the homosexual community?" Jean-Paul asked her, starting to realize that the new teacher he would most likely have a working relationship with was very positive about his being a role model for homosexuals. He walked over to take the seat vacated by Logan.

"Yes, my parents were lesbians and I’ve been with a dance troupe out of the San Francisco Bay Area for over twenty years. More than half the men in the troupe are gay. That’s how I recognized you. One of the dancers, Ty, is infatuated with you."

"Then we’ll definitely have to send him a picture," Jean-Paul smiled, getting comfortable in the chair. He held out his hand, "I’m one of the economics and business teachers here at the Institute."

"Wonderful!" Angel took his hand and shook it, "I’m not exactly sure what I’ll be teaching, but it could be Physics, Architecture, Biology or Dance."

"Are you a member of the community?" Jean-Paul asked. "Or just family?"

"I’m bi," she answered, "so I’m technically a member."

He laughed "What’s the term—been there, done that. I’ve got an AIDS benefit at the end of this month. Would you like to come with me?"

Charles, Scott and Hank watched in astonishment at how easily and quickly Jean-Paul warmed to Angel. Charles knew he was usually quite remote with new people because he didn’t know how they would react to his status as a gay man in the mutant world. The men also took note of Angel’s sexual preference. There’d be some sexual fantasizing tonight.

"That’d be great! I’d really love to attend. You don’t know how many AIDS and HIV benefits I’ve danced at or raised money for."

"What type of dance do you teach? We’re always looking for something to spice up the entertainment. You know how it is."

"Sure do," she grinned and rolled her eyes. "I can do just about anything given time to prepare. But at the drop of a hat I could do either Belly dance or Pacific Islander including Tahitian and Hawaiian. The Hippy-Hippy Shake-Shakes are always a good draw and get the most funds raised," she raised her eyebrows up and down quickly several times, "among other things." Jean-Paul laughed and nodded. "All I’d need is the right clothes and music and even that can be improvised."

"Wonderful!" he said still nodding, "Let me go find out the exact dates and time of the benefit. Would you be willing to dance for us?" He stood up.

"Sure, no problem! Just give me some warning so I can get an outfit. I left most of them back home."

"Which would you prefer? Belly dance or … what did you call them?" he frowned trying to remember.

"Pacific Islander? The easiest would be Belly dance because it looks good in singles or groups and you can dance around the audience. Tahitian and Hawaiian always looks better in a group and on stage."

"Belly dance, then. I’ll go call the benefit coordinator and talk to her about getting you into the program." He said smiling again, "I am so glad you recognized me. We’ll have to send … Ty? A photo of the two of us together."

Angel smiled slyly, "I have a digital camera in my room. He could see it by tonight if I email it."

"Are you going to stay out here?" Jean-Paul waved an arm indicating the pool area.

"Probably."

"I’ll come back out here afterwards and we can discuss these photos you want to send over the Internet."

"Great! Ty will be so envious. I have to warn you, we’ll have to take more than one photo, I don’t want him to accuse me of using Photoshop to falsify the pictures."

He nodded at her then turned to look at the men at the table who had been silent during their conversation and gave them a sharp nod before he walked off to the main building to get the event coordinator’s phone number and call her.

"Cool," Angel stated smiling a big smile at the men at the table as she grabbed her Snapple and took a drink. It was great that she’d made a friend so quickly who had a lot of the same interests. It was an added benefit that he was famous. She was going to be the envy of her friends. It was just too cool.

"Angel," Charles said, it was gratifying to see Jean-Paul and her hitting it off so well, but he needed to return her attention to a critical matter, "You say you dreamed about another cache in the sewers in White Plains?"

"I told you it was a nightmare," she said dismissively.

"Are you sure that it was a nightmare?" Charles asked

"Probably," she said hesitantly.

"If you allow me," he said, "we will put an inhibitor on you. It will stop your mutant abilities from working and I could delve into your memory and retrieve the information we need, including whether we should send a team to White Plains to search for signs of activity. There are still six of these werewolves missing."

An inhibitor that would turn off her scanning ability, thought Angel. She’d heard of things like that on the news when they described how they sent criminal mutants to prison. She didn’t know the Institute had such an item, but she guessed it would be useful for students who had trouble controlling their mutant abilities. And didn’t he say when she first arrived that the Institute trained people for the X-Corporation who captured criminal mutants. The Institute probably had more than one inhibitor.

He took her silence as denial and he gave her a long probing stare adding, "Any information we could have received from the Lobo Tech building was destroyed in the explosion. If there is the possibility of another cache or even another location that these werewolves have been using, we need to find it. It would also give me insight into what occurred in White Plains and whether there is validation in sending a team to scout the sewers. I’d rather not send more people into danger if it can be avoided. I promise you I will only look for the information about Lobo Tech and the sewers."

Angel was frightened about her scanning ability being shut off. It would be like going blind, but she knew that with six of the creatures still running around White Plains it was for the best. And it was only temporary. "Will I be aware of you probing around in my mind?" she asked, unsure if she wanted a stranger looking around in her memories.

"I can do it so gently you won’t feel anything or I can do it so that you’re right beside me the entire time," he answered. "Whatever is most comfortable for you."

Bobby walked up to the table and with a smile jerked a thumb over his shoulder, "The targets are ready."

"Thank you, Bobby," Charles told him. Looking at Angel’s near empty plate he asked, "Do you feel up to making some crushed ice?" He would ask her about delving into her mind again afterwards. It might even be easier to get a positive answer out of her if she was tired. He could do it while she was asleep if she was upset about losing her scanning ability for a while.

Angel sighed, it was odd after all these years for her to talk and demonstrate her mutant abilities. She nodded, putting down her fork. Hank stood up and came around the table to guide her wheelchair onto the green. It took some strength to push the chair on the grassy surface and he was the strongest of the three at the table. Those who had been keeping an eye on them in anticipation to see Angel show off her abilities, began to make their way onto the green also, following the quintet. Logan hung up the phone and started back to the dining area only to see that Hank was wheeling Angel onto the field. He joined them and the growing crowd as Hank brought her to a stop twenty five yards from the first ice sculpture.

Bobby had created ice monsters for Angel to destroy. The first was a twenty feet tall man wearing a cape and strange helmet that barely left space open over his eyes and down to his mouth. Angel wasn’t sure who he was, but he looked familiar. The second was a twenty-five feet tall werewolf hunching forward as if about to pounce on the gathered crowd. Third was a thirty feet tall Sentinel robot with its arms extended outwards as if about to fire the protruding weapons from its hands and its chest cavity open displaying its armament.

The crowd of mutants spread out behind Angel’s wheelchair and the tightly clustered group of men around her, some of them sitting down in the grass to watch while others formed little standing clusters. Most of them either talking about the sculptures she was to destroy or about whether she really could break them. Bets were being placed.

"Do you want to move closer?" Hank asked Angel as he brought her into line in front of the ice sculpture of Magneto.

"Don’t bother," Logan said coming forward and crouching next to her. "I’ve seen what she can do." He put his hand on her arm, "Darlin’, I want you to concentrate on knocking his head off first, okay?"

"Who is it?" she asked.

"It’s a man named Erik Lehnsherr, but most people knew him by the name Magneto. You probably don’t get the joke Bobby made by putting him next to the werewolf and the Sentinel."

"I think I saw him on the news a few times," she told him.

"His philosophy was to enslave human kind to mutant kind. He didn’t believe in peaceful resolutions," Charles explained. "He was a very persuasive man and many mutants followed him."

"I think I remember him," Angel said. She looked at Logan, "Decapitation?"

Logan smiled, "You got it, Darlin’. Use all your strength on it. Let’s see what you can do."

Angel raised her hand towards the statue’s head and concentrated. An invisible wave of force rippled the air around it as it emanated from her hand and smashed into the three feet block of ice sending it flying high into the air. The group gathered on the green were surprised as the ice continued to soar up in the air, getting nearly invisible in the deep blue sky before it began it’s downward descent. There were several whistles and lots of clapping until it suddenly stopped falling and began to return. It was then that a few of them noticed Jean Summers floating forty feet in midair with an arm outstretched towards the distant missile. She returned to earth when the head returned to sit at the decapitated statue’s feet.

Angel had felt Jean lift off the ground and knew when she had telekinetically grabbed the ice to force it to return. She waited until Jean was done bringing it back before she asked Logan, "Now what?"

"Crush his chest. Don’t knock it off, like you did with the head, crush it."

"I don’t know if I can," she told him.

"Try. We need to know if you can control your ability."

"Is this part of the training you mentioned?"

"Yes. Now do it."

She sighed and then raised both of her hands. The wave of force was larger as it extended from her hands. It reached the beheaded ice sculpture and then not quite gently pounded against it, toppling it over. "I think that was too light," Angel commented.

"We know you can control the degree of your ability," Hank said encouragingly as he turned her chair and rolled it to stand in front of the werewolf.

"Same distance," Logan said, standing next to her chair. "Try again. Same thing, crush it."

Again, she raised both hands and the wall of force rushed towards the larger than life, crouching white werewolf. This time the sculpture burst into a thousand pieces, a few pieces of the ice actually making the distance and lightly pelting them.

"Yes!" Logan exclaimed raising a fist. "If I’d known ya could do this," he told her, "we could’ve taken out all the ‘wolves in White Plains."

She looked at him horrified, "I wouldn’t! I’d never use my ability to kill people!"

Sobering, Logan said, "Don’t say never, Darlin’, it’ll come back ta bite ya in the butt. And I wouldn’t ‘ve cared if ya jus’ knocked ‘em out long enough so we could’a captured some o’ them."

"That was exponentially better than your last attempt," Hank congratulated her.

Angel twisted to look behind her and up at him, "I can feel where it’s going. I know exactly what I’m doing with it." She looked back at Logan, "That’s why I wouldn’t kill anyone. I’d feel them dying." She looked down in her lap and said barely audible, "Just like the werewolves in the sewers."

Logan looked down at his feet, clearly made uncomfortable by what she’d said. Without a word, Hank turned her wheelchair away from him and rolled it to stand in front of the last ice sculpture, the Sentinel. Logan remained where he’d been standing until her chair stopped and then he walked over to her and told her with a passionless voice, "Knock it’s hands off so they fall to the ground." She did as she was told. "Now it’s arms." She did so. "Take off half its head vertically." She frowned in concentration and tried to do as he asked, but she ended up decapitating it, the head falling behind it and splitting into three pieces at it’s feet. "Try again with its chest." She tried and this time she succeeded, a large slice of the chest compressing and then cracking before it half slid half fell to the ground. The other half of the chest, torso below the waist and the legs remained standing. "Good, much better." Logan’s voice began to gain emotion again. "Now," he said, "I want you to split your force and do two fast clean cuts to its feet. I want to see them shot off before the rest of it falls down."

"I don’t know if I can do that," she confessed, "but I’ll try." She put out both her hands and the air rippled again as the force slammed into the remains of the Sentinel. The feet shot backwards, not breaking off and as the top fell forward, they whipped up and over, flipping it towards the group standing seventy-five feet in front of the thirty-five feet high remains of partial chest and legs. Instinctively, Angel’s hand flew up above her head and there was the sound of thunder as a large wall of force came into existence above and around the group surrounding Angel. The ruins of the Sentinel flipped again and came crashing down on top of the shell Angel had created. It did a reversal as it hit the rippling wall and was reflected back the way it had come. In the process, it broke apart into several large and not so large pieces, all of them safely falling back towards their place of origin and avoiding the people behind Angel’s group who had followed for the spectacle.

"That’s it!" Angel yelled over the thunderous noise that continued to reverberate inside and outside the ‘bubble’ of force she had created. She was looking up at the top of the shell and one of her hands was pointing upwards. "That’s what I did during the explosion!"

"Can you keep it up?!" Logan yelled.

Angel nodded, "I don’t know for how long though!"

Logan gave her a thumb up and then ran towards Jean who had been included in those inside the shell Angel had created. "Can you pick up a big chunk of ice and throw it at the shield?!" he yelled over the thunder.

"Towards us?!" Jean asked. When Logan nodded, she looked through the rippling wall, it was almost like looking through a thin waterfall, clear enough to see beyond it, but with waves and ripples that constantly moved.

While Logan was talking to Jean, Scott walked up to the wall and placed his hand on it. He couldn’t feel a temperature to the wall, it was the same temperature as the air around them. He also noticed it was clear, rippling waves that obscured their vision to the outside. As his hand pressed against the interior of the wall, it moved back and forth, vacillating, against something hard but smooth to the touch.

Jean used her telekinesis to pick up the ice head of Magneto and brought it towards the top of the shield at full speed. Once it hit, it immediately bounced off, flying away and breaking apart far faster than it should have, escaping Jean’s ability to catch it. The remaining parts of the head, which came back down on top of the shield, again bounced off, and broke into even smaller bits.

Logan approached the wall and did the same thing as Scott. Instead of removing his hand when he was done examining it, he popped his claws and tried to punch through the wall. His claws skittered against it and his arm followed the downward curve of the shield, going the path of least resistance. He tried again twice, but his arms ended up doing the same thing, sliding down to the ground.

Ororo would have tried to fly, but there wasn’t enough air in the confined space to lift herself off the ground without affecting the others within the ‘bubble’. She also found the sound of the thunder disconcerting, familiar but not correct in some way. She couldn’t put a finger on it.

Jean flew up to the top of the shield and tried to push against it to no success. Even trying to use her telekinesis to help push didn’t work because it seemed to go right through the wall. When she tried to push herself out, she ended up compressing her chest so she couldn’t breathe and sliding down the interior of the shield.

Angel had twisted in her chair to watch their antics. She twisted looking back and forth from Logan to Charles waiting for one of them to give her some sort of signal to let her shield down. Charles had also been watching his X-men attempting to break out of Angel’s shield. He walked over to Angel and yelled, "How much longer do you think you can keep your shield up?!"

"A while!" she replied.

He nodded and then signaled her to let it down by running a finger across his neck in a cut off motion.

The thunderous noise cut off abruptly and those outside the shield watched as it seemed to hurtle towards them, expanding in all directions a once, but they barely felt a ripple of pressure as the wave of force moved through and past them, thinning out the further it went.

In the ensuing quiet immediately after Angel’s ‘bubble’ went down, Hank mused, "I believe it’s a reflective shield based on the kinetic energy that she uses for scanning."

"That’s what it is!" Ororo exclaimed. "The thunder didn’t sound … correct … because there was a pattern to it!"

Charles put a hand on Angel’s shoulder, "We’ll need to have you go through the initial training program so we can get a baseline on these abilities of yours." He squeezed her shoulder and smiled down at her, "Quite remarkable. The brief amount of time you used your shield during the explosion in White Plains contributed to saving your life and possibly Warren and Logan’s, too."

"Professor—," Angel began.

"Call me Charles," he told her.

Angel nodded, "Charles. I’d like to be aware of where you go in my mind, be next to you. Some of it’s fuzzy and I’d like to make sure what happened. Maybe make sure there really isn’t another cache in the sewers. There were a lot of things in the storage room under Lobo Tech and if I could revisit it, maybe we could give Warren some answers."

He nodded, "We’ll do that. Would you like to do it now or later? How is your energy level?"

She smiled shyly, "I feel fine and you probably won’t believe me, but I’m still hungry. I’d like some more hot dogs."

Charles and Hank, who still stood behind her chair, laughed out loud, drawing attention. "Then by all means," Charles said with a large smile, "we must get you more hot dogs."

*

Warren arrived while Angel was on her third hot dog. He flew over the grounds and landed near the barbeque pit. He was wearing his red and white Archangel suit, but had a matching backpack of some sort slung between his shoulders. When he landed, his girlfriend, Paige, ran over to him and gave him a hug and kiss before helping divest him of the backpack, which Angel sensed, is where he had stashed his business shoes and clothes.

While Warren began dishing himself up some grub, Logan walked over to him and started talking in low tones. It was obvious to all who watched that Warren’s happiness at being home faded as he listened. His smile faded as he turned a serious gaze on Logan and his wings drooped slightly. Paige took his plate away from him and pushed him in the direction of the dining area while she finished putting food on his plate.

Logan and Warren sat at a table on the edge of the green, as far away from the rest of the partygoers as possible.

"I’ll stay with her," Hank told Charles and Scott when he noticed their interest in what Warren and Logan were discussing.

"Thanks," Scott said as he grabbed his beer and left to join the two men.

"Thank you, Hank," Charles said appreciatively getting up from his chair next to Angel. He turned to Angel, "We may have to postpone our … mental adventure. I hope you don’t mind?"

"No," Angel shook her head, covering her mouth so he couldn’t see the partially eaten food in her mouth. "What’s going on with Warren is more important." Charles gave her a sharp nod and a sad smile before he walked over and sat down at Warren’s table.

Although Hank sat at her table, she watched his ears occasionally flick back catching the conversation at Warren’s table. When Angel was finished with her meal a few minutes later, she told him, "I know you’re just sitting here because I am." She got out of her wheelchair and stood up pointing towards Warren’s table, "I’m finished. Why don’t you join them? I know you want to."

"Are you sure?" Hank asked, also standing up.

She waved her hand towards the pool area, "There’s plenty of people here, I’ll be all right."

"Thank you," he told her and got up and took his chair over to Warren’s group.

Angel picked up her dishes and Charles and Hank’s discarded bottles and tossed the contents into the large trash cans put nearby for just that reason. She approached the nearest Jacuzzi, which had Jean, Annie and Ororo sitting in it. "Mind if I join you?" she asked.

"It’ll probably be good for you if you don’t over do it," Annie smiled.

"Come on in," Jean introduced Ororo "Storm" Munroe to Angel as Angel took off her top and shorts to reveal a red floral strapless thong bikini before getting into the bubbling water.

Chapter 9

The group at Warren’s table had gotten up shortly after he had finished eating and gone inside the Institute building. Angel was concerned, but she had no idea what was wrong and she’d learned early not to put her nose into other people’s business. She enjoyed her time in the sun and eating and drinking whenever she felt like it, although Annie warned her off alcohol until she was finished with her medication. She seemed hungrier than normal, but Annie told her it was to be expected in her condition. She hadn’t eaten solid foods for four days and her body was trying to right that wrong, getting it’s energy stores back. When she decided to just vegetate on a lounge chair, there was no shortage of men who were willing to help put the sunscreen Jean gave her onto her back and hard to reach areas.

Jean-Paul met her poolside just as she was turning back onto her front for the second time. "Sorry it took me so long," he apologized. "Since I brought up the entertainment program she wanted to go over it and then discuss the menu and then …"

Angel smiled and held up a hand to stop him, "Don’t worry! No need to apologize! I’ve been involved in planning a benefit or two also and there’s no end of questions and then trying to get people organized. Ugh! It’s a nightmare!" She sat up, "I should probably get out of the sun now. I don’t want to burn to a crisp. No one told me New York could get just as hot as California."

"I don’t know what to tell you," Jean-Paul said, holding out a hand to help her up. "Canadian summers are more mild."

She took his hand and stood up, "Can you come up to my room and let me snap some pictures?"

He nodded, "Anything for my adoring fans. What does Ty look like?"

They went up to her room and she got out her digital camera. After snapping several photographs of Jean-Paul alone and together, she showed him pictures of her dance troupe that were on her laptop. She pointed out Ty, who was a tall well built, brown haired man with dark blue eyes. Looking at Ty’s pictures, Jean-Paul said he’d like to meet him if for some reason he had to travel to San Francisco. Angel gave him Ty’s email address and left it up to Jean-Paul to contact Ty if he was really interested. They talked and realized they had several similar interests; the homosexual community and the raising of sexually transmitted diseases awareness both inside and outside the community, they had similar political views both considered themselves Democratic or Liberal, they were interested in the future of mutant kind and how it interacted with the human race, and their common employment as teachers. They were well on their way to becoming good friends.

Belly Dance music was coming from Angel’s room as Charles and Logan walked down the hallway. They exchanged glances as they stopped at her door. Before Logan could knock, Angel opened the door. Charles’ eyebrows rose and they both got appreciative smiles on their faces as they took in her midnight blue Belly Dance costume. It was the more flamboyant traditional sequin and coin costume with the flowing skirts and skimpy bikini top. They could see Jean-Paul sitting Indian style on the foot of her bed.

"Hello," Jean-Paul waved. Her bed was made and he was still wearing his swimsuit so it seemed nothing sexual had been going on.

"Is this performance private?" Charles asked, hesitant to interrupt. He wasn’t sure what was going on.

"Not anymore," Logan told him as he entered the room and lay down on her bed, stacking the pillows behind his head. "I want to see this."

Angel smiled and turned to watch Logan with her hands on her hips, "We were just talking, going over some moves to start working up a routine for the AIDS Benefit."

"Start shakin’ it, Darlin’," Logan ordered, still smiling. He settled down on the pillows and put his hands behind his head.

Angel turned to Charles with a condescending smile, "Do you want to watch, too, or was there some other reason you’re here?"

Charles pulled a small partially crushed Dixie cup from his pocket, "Annie reminded me that you haven’t had your medication and that you should take it soon." He handed the package to her and continued, "I was also going to ask, if you didn’t have other plans, if now would be a good time to search your memory of the Los Lobos building. I’d like to do it before Cable arrives, you may have some important information that he may need."

"When’s he supposed to be here?" she asked apprehensively, the smile disappearing from her face.

Charles looked at his watch, "He should be arriving at JFK within the hour and then a limo will pick him up and drive him here."

"Oh," she looked at the men on her bed, "Um. I guess we’ll have to continue this later, Jean-Paul."

Jean-Paul nodded, "It’s more important, what you do with Charles." He unfolded his legs and stood up. "I’ll see you tomorrow," he said and walked towards the door.

"See you then," she smiled as he passed her. Charles moved into the room to let him out the doorway.

Logan sighed heavily and got off her bed, "Ya know, Chuck. It could’ve waited another five or ten minutes."

Charles just stared blandly at him for a moment before shifting his gaze back to Angel. "We will be conducting my investigation into your mind in the Infirmary."

"Do you know how long we’ll take?" she asked him as she walked over to her computer and turned off the music it was playing. The coins on her outfit chiming with each step she took.

"It will depend upon many factors. This will be my first time going through your mind and you have already told me you receive a great deal of information every second. Most likely that will make it more difficult for me to sift through the data stored in your mind. You have also requested to be conscious and aware. That will add to the time we take. I would estimate several hours. I suggest you put on more comfortable attire."

She nodded, "Do you want to wait for me or meet me there? It’ll take me less than five minutes to change."

"I need to get an inhibitor," Charles said walking back into the doorway. "I’ll meet you in the Infirmary."

"Chuck," Logan asked. "If it’s gonna be that difficult, you want me to monitor the two of you?"

"Yes, thank you, Logan. I would appreciate that," he replied. "When Angel gets to the Infirmary, please have her lay down on one of the beds and connect her up to the computer system. I’ll join you shortly." He turned and headed down the hallway.

"Close the door, please," Angel said as she reached behind her to disconnect her top. Logan headed over to the door. "You can stay in here if you want to," she said. He closed the door, shutting the two of them in her room. "Thanks, Kurt and Bobby are coming up the stairs." She took off her top revealing her naked breasts and walked towards her closet. Standing in front of it, she opened it and singled out a set of hangars. She placed the top on a hangar and reattached the clasps. He walked over and sat down on the corner of her bed, watching her. "Can you tell me what’s going on with this Cable guy and Warren?" she asked as she reached behind her and unzipped her skirt.

"You’ll probably hear about it soon enough," Logan replied. His eyes followed her hands as she peeled the skirt off her hips and stepped out of it. Beneath her skirt she was wearing her thong bikini bottom. She hung up the dance skirt while he continued, "Some terrorist organization out of the Middle East seems to have decided that Worthington Enterprises is a good American target. Cable thinks they may have chosen Worthington not only because it’s an American company that has passed through generations, but also because Warren’s a mutant."

"That’s horrible," she said turning to look at him and taking off her thong. "Have you told the F. B. I.?"

Logan shook his head, his eyes locking onto the strip of honey colored fur and the cleft below it. His cock twitched and he could feel the blood starting to infuse it. Angel walked up to him and pushed him back on the bed. She put a knee on either side of his hips, "Why not?"

"Internal affair," he responded, his voice going soft. "Worthington belongs to the X-Corporation."

She leaned forward, her breast grazing his mouth and she whispered, "Then how is the information I have in my brain important?"

"They may be related," he whispered before engulfing her breast into his mouth.

"The werewolves and this terrorist organization?" she mused. Logan nodded his head slightly, his tongue moving over her nipple teasing it erect. "Hmmm. Ah, Logan, you do that so well. God, I’m horny! Do you think Charles would mind if we …?"

Logan let go of her nipple with an audible pop, "Definitely."

"Aw, shit," she said disappointedly. She sat up on her knees and reached between her legs to touch his almost full erection through his jean cutoffs. "I guess third times the charm," she told his cock rubbing it with her knuckles through the denim. She got off of Logan and the bed and walked to her dresser. Logan’s eyes followed her as she pulled on her discarded shorts. She turned to look at him as she zipped and buttoned the clasps, "You better stop staring at me or it’ll never go down."

Logan sighed heavily and sat up. "Damn!" he said adjusting his cock in his shorts as he stood up. "Aren’t you gonna wear underwear with that?" he asked as she picked up her matching top.

"Nope," she replied, putting on the shirt without a bra, her erect nipples projecting against fabric.

"Teasin’ bitch," he said under his breath. He was going to have a hard time of it, literally, knowing that he’d come close twice to having sex with her. Put on top of it seeing her in that sexy dance outfit and now knowing she wouldn’t be wearing any underwear while he monitored her and Chuck for a few hours. Her feminine scent was more pronounced than when he’d entered the room. She’d gotten wet while she’d kneeled over him. He decided she wouldn’t be sleeping alone tonight.

Angel smiled knowingly as she reached for her sandals. She put them on and wiped the smile from her face before she straightened and said, "Let’s go."

Logan nearly growled as he walked over to the door and jerked it open. Her scent teased him all the way to the Infirmary. His cock had relaxed when he knew he wasn’t going to get fucked, but smelling her scent kept it thick and heavy, reminding him to keep his promise to bury it in her later.

Angel knew exactly what state Logan was in and it just made her hornier. If she could, she would have shoved him down onto the elevator floor and started bouncing up and down on his pole, but knowing it was more important for Charles to search her mind stopped her from sating her lust. Barely.

Inside the Infirmary, Angel waited as Logan moved two of the beds within four feet of each other before she got up on one of them. It was torture returning to where she’d first thought about having sex with him and in the exact same bed. He pulled two sets of monitoring towers into place and plugged them into the nearby wall sockets. "Don’t break these, okay?" he said jokingly. This time he took out two little pads, which attached to her forehead and connected back to the machine through a wire. When he finished taping the finger monitor to her hand, she reached up and grabbed his hair, pulling him down so she could kiss him.

What she had initially meant to be a brief kiss, just enough to satisfy her need to feel his lips on her skin again, turned into a ravaging attack. His gasp of surprise opened his mouth leaving him vulnerable to her probing tongue. The strange taste of his Canadian beer gave him an interesting flavor. He fell forward, his hands landing on either side of her. Her tongue stroked against his, dueling for dominance. She smelled so good, so ready. Aggressively his tongue forced hers back into her mouth. She tasted like fruit and meat from the barbeque, delicious. He growled low in his throat, his left hand moving into her hair to hold her in place as his right moved to her chest seeking and finding her breast, the nipple still raised in a hard nub.

He heard a small metallic squeak and the displacement of air as Charles pushed open the Infirmary door. Surprised to see them kissing, Charles began to clear his throat, but upon hearing the low rumbling coming from Logan’s throat, he knew a more drastic measure should be taken. *Logan!* he exclaimed sternly in Logan’s mind.

Logan froze while Angel’s tongue, finding no resistance, made its way back into his mouth. Angel moaned, her left hand dropping from his head to press his hand into her breast. Encouraging him to squeeze it.

*What do you think you’re doing?* Charles asked him, angrily, still talking mentally. *If you can’t control yourself, go get Hank. He’s in his lab.*

Logan pulled away from Angel and stepped back, disengaging himself physically and mentally. He took a long shuddering breath and then shook himself. "I can control it," he said calmly. He wasn’t going to accuse Angel of starting it, that would be childish and he’d been a willing participant. He bent down and picked up the roll of medical tape he had dropped when Angel had grabbed him.

Charles had been so concerned with what Logan had been doing that he didn’t notice Angel’s reaction. She was trying to get a hold of herself, breathing deeply and straightening out her shirt. She realized Charles must have said something to Logan mentally because he hadn’t said a word yet. "I’m sorry, Charles," she said shakily. "It was my fault. I’ve been messing with him. I didn’t realize … I’m sorry," she repeated apologetically.

Charles glanced from her and back to Logan and he sighed. Placing the inhibitor, a thick circlet with red plastic accents, on the foot of her bed, he chastised her, "We’re all adults, but I strongly advise that you avoid baiting any of the men here at the Institute. You might have been able to do that with humans, but you haven’t been in the mutant community long enough to realize how dangerous it could be." He turned and walked to the cabinets against the wall. He unlocked one cabinet and pulled out a small medicine bottle. "Logan is she ready?" In a drawer he got out a syringe and opened it’s tamper proof plastic. Inserting the needle of the syringe into the bottle, he drew out a dosage.

Logan walked over to the monitors and stared at the readouts. "Yes, she’s coming up on the computers."

"Good," Charles replied. "Angel, because this is your first time, I’m going to give you a very mild sedative." Logan joined him near the cabinets and got out a bottle of cleansing alcohol and cotton balls. "You will remain conscious during our interaction, but the drug will keep you from going into shock or having a seizure when you revisit the sewers in White Plains." He pushed the air out of the syringe and they both approached her. Charles waited as Logan cleaned her arm and then picked up the inhibitor from the foot of the bed. He slipped the ring under the wires that lead to her forehead and placed it on her head.

She heard a small ‘click’ and a red light bathed her face as the Inhibitor glowed. She gasped and her eyes grew wide as she went scan blind. "Oh, God," she moaned.

"Shhh," Charles shushed her as he picked up her arm and inserted the needle, giving her the dose of sedative. "I can feel your mind now, so I know the inhibitor is working." Angel felt as if someone had run a feather gently across the top of her head. "Did you feel that?" When she nodded, he said, "That’s me. I haven’t entered your thoughts or memories, but I’m feeling for any mental defenses you may have. You can close your eyes and rest while Logan gets me hooked up to the monitors." Angel closed her eyes.

Charles motioned for Logan to follow him and they walked back to the cabinets. "She’s very susceptible to suggestion right now," he informed Logan in a very low voice. "Don’t let anyone into the room because we don’t need them to say anything that will become a subliminal suggestion."

"I know," Logan whispered.

"For the record, I have to make sure," Charles replied. Mentally, Charles asked, *Logan, when I walked in, did you know you were growling?*

Logan’s eyes widened, *Shit. No, I didn’t even realize—*

*Logan, you of all people … ,* Charles chided.

Logan rubbed the back of his neck with his hand, *Yeah, I know. I want her, Chuck, and she’s givin’ me all the right signals. I can smell she wants it. She’s teasin’ me. She’s not even wearin’ underwear right now.*

*How do you know?* Charles asked still maintaining mental contact.

*I stayed in her room while she was changin’,* Logan explained. *We would’ve fucked right then, but you were expectin’ us.*

*Are you sure it wasn’t part of her teasing?* Charles inquired. He new Angel was bisexual because she’d been quite open in telling Jean-Paul. He would need to know if he needed to keep an eye on her and those she befriended of both sexes. He could just search her mind for the information, but at the moment it would be a breach of faith.

*I’d swear it wasn’t,* Logan thought vehemently. *I can smell she isn’t.*

Charles nodded and turned around to look at Angel, her eyes were still closed. Logan wasn’t the most handsome man on campus, but that didn’t always stop the women. He exuded a masculinity that sometimes seemed irresistible to some and completely annoying to others. Unfortunately, most of the relationships never lasted and Logan always blamed himself or his job, never the women. It was a character flaw. Charles sighed, life at the Institute was more of a soap opera than the afternoon television shows. He got onto the other bed and Logan hooked him up to the monitoring computer. He got comfortable and when Logan gave him the thumbs up sign, he entered Angel’s mind.

Initially, Charles only contacted Angel to make sure she understood what he was going to do by bringing her into his traditional mindscape of a living room with beige leather overstuffed chairs and sofas facing each other in a circle. *Angel, this is my mind,* he said gently. His projected body standing in the middle of the room. *This is where I bring people to talk to them. I try to make it look comfortable.*

*It looks comfortable,* she said looking around, the walls, ceiling and floor seemed to be shifting shades of blue which illuminated the ‘room’ although the colors didn’t change quickly enough to be distracting. She couldn’t scan the furniture so she reached out and touched one of the sofas. It felt solid. *Why the sofa’s?*

*I can bring multiple people here to talk to them. A sort of mental conference call if you will. Because of your scanning ability, you may never come here again, but sometimes the staff may talk about it. Now, we need to go into your mind.*

*Is it going to hurt?* she asked, slightly afraid of the unknown.

Charles smiled, *No, not unless you fight me.* He held out his hand, *Give me your hand.* She put her hand into his. *I want you to think about Lobo Tech. Do you remember what it looked like when you first saw it?* She nodded her head. *Good,* he squeezed her hand. *Hold on tight. We’re going to enter your mind now.* His other hand came up and touched her head.

He knew entering her mind wouldn’t be difficult. It was viewing how she perceived her environment that made him apprehensive. He looked around in her vision of Lobo Tech and he blinked several times. He looked down and the ground fell away as if he stood on glass. He looked up and a bat flew within inches of his face although his eyes told him it was a speck in the sky. He felt Warren and Logan standing nearby as if they were pressed against his body, but he knew they were steps away. He looked at them and they seemed like ghosts, insubstantial. He could see right through them, past them and into the ruined building, which was also insubstantial, and across the street into the building beyond. He closed his eyes and groaned. He was going to get a migraine soon.

*Charles?* Angel asked placing a hand on his arm. *Are you okay?*

*Your perception of your environment is slightly overwhelming,* he told her, opening his eyes and focusing directly on her.

*Maybe I need to focus differently,* she suggested. *What’s making it difficult?*

*

Shortly before six o’clock, Cable arrived at the Institute. Scott and Alex "Havok" Summers, Scott’s brother, had been standing near the entryway talking and waiting for the limo to arrive. They went down the stairs to help him get his luggage.

"Xavier has been waiting for you to arrive. He wants to include you in a conference about what happened at Warren’s White Plains facility," Scott said.

Cable looked down at him and nodded then turned to Alex, "I’m glad to see you’re alive and kicking."

"So am I," Alex smiled. "I’m sorry that you won’t be here for the bachelor party or my wedding."

"That has as of yet to be determined," Cable said. "We could all still fly back in a couple of hours for the ceremony and then head back out."

"If you’re able to, that’d be great."

The limo driver had just opened the trunk, "Sir, you didn’t want me to touch your belongings earlier. I assume you want to retrieve them?"

"Yeah," Cable said and went to the trunk to get his gear. Scott and Alex offered to help him, "Nah, I got it. Let’s get to the conference room. I want to leave for SFO as soon as possible."

Scott and Alex led him to the conference room. Alex turned at the doorway, "I hope to see you later."

"So do I," Cable said.

Scott held the door open as Cable entered the room. There were several people sitting around the electronic conference table who turned to look at him when he walked in. Jean, Hank, Bobby, and Warren. Kurt was setting up a cot in the far corner. Scott sat down in a chair next to Jean. When Kurt was done with the cot, he sat in the chair between Warren and Bobby. In a row, there were three empty chairs left and he sat down in the one next to Jean.

He pointed towards the cot in the corner, "Who’s the cot for?"

The door opened and everyone turned to look as Logan walked into the room with a pretty blonde woman Cable didn’t know. Both of them wore shorts, Logan in jeans without a shirt, the woman wearing matching blue shirt and shorts. An inhibitor topped her long blonde hair. By the way she was lolling in Logan’s arms, it was obvious she was unconscious or nearly. Logan walked over to the cot and gently deposited the woman onto it, straightening her arms and legs out, making her comfortable. Then he sat down next to Cable.

"Who’s that?" Cable asked.

"Doctor Angelique Green," Warren informed him. "Nine days ago, mutant werewolves began a killing spree on humans up north and the police determined that they were from my Lobo Tech facility in White Plains. Because mutants and my own facility were involved, Logan, Husk, Northstar and I were invited to join the investigation by a local detective. Two days later, we encountered these werewolves inside the Lobo Tech building and after some serious combat they destroyed the facility.

"Five days ago, on Monday, Doctor Green, Angel, arrived. She was hired by Charles to be a teacher here at the Institute. She has an incredible spatial awareness ability as one of her mutations. We asked her to come out to the Lobo Tech building and see if she could find any evidence of the illegal activities we found there during the battle and possibly information on the
werewolves that were terrorizing the area. More werewolves attacked us while we were there and then they set off a bomb and destroyed the building even further plus the nearby sewer system. We were caught in the blast and Charles informed me today that we would have died if Angel hadn’t used her ability to create a kinetic shield to protect us from the initial firestorm of the explosion. If she hadn’t crashed into me and merged into my body and started absorbing some of my regenerative blood when her shield went down, she would have died."

There was silence in the room for a moment as everyone cogitated the information Warren had imparted. Several glances went to Angel lying on the cot.

"You two look healthy," Cable stated. "How about her?" his finger jerked towards the cot.

"Completely healed," Hank replied. He added, "In the explosion that should have killed her, she landed on Warren or I should say in Warren. Like Warren said, she merged with him. She broke several of his bones and there’s a possibility she still has some bone fragments or bone marrow in her system. I believe, and Charles agrees with me, it is because of this and the large amount of blood Warren bled into her that she survived. I need to run a CAT scan on her to verify my theory. Her blood tests are still showing high counts of a healing factor similar to Warren’s. There’s a possibility it may become permanent."

"If she’s just a teacher, why is she at this meeting? Why is she unconscious? And why does she have an inhibitor on her head?" Cable asked the questions rapid fire looking around the table for answers.

"Chuck told me to bring her here," Logan answered, leaning forward to rest his arms on the table. "She’s not unconscious, just relaxed. Chuck gave her a sedative to keep her calm when he decided to go into her mind for the first time. It should be wearing off soon. The inhibitor is stopping her ability to scan, otherwise Chuck wouldn’t be able to get into her mind."

"Why does he want her here?" Bobby asked.

"Something about keeping us all together," Logan replied.

"Where is Charles?" Cable asked, looking at the door expectantly.

"In Cerebra," Jean replied and then got a distracted look as she mentally communicated with Charles. "He wants us all to get comfortable and turn down the lights. He said he’s going to bring us into a mindscape and it may take a while to go through the information we’ll be receiving from Angel." Jean looked at Cable and pointed briefly towards the cot, clarifying, "Doctor Green."

"We’re going to go into Angel’s mind?" Hank asked, smiling. "Fascinating."

Logan got up, dimmed the lights and then checked on Angel. Bending over her he asked, "How ya doin’, Angel?" Logan made her name sound like an endearment.

She murmured something the rest of the people in the room couldn’t hear and Logan chuckled. "Later," he promised softly and then he stood up and returned to his seat.

"What did she want?" Warren asked.

Logan smiled and shook his head slightly before turning to look at Jean. "When did Chuck want to start?" he asked her. He wasn’t going to answer Warren’s question, they didn’t need to know that Angel had just propositioned him.

"He wants to bring us all in together so he’s waiting for us to get comfortable," Jean replied pointedly.

Everyone began to sit back in their seats and relax. Shortly, they felt a slight feather touch sensation in their minds before Charles brought them into a mindscape.


Chapter 10

They appeared in front of the ruined Lobo Tech building and as the last one of them arrived, a duplicate Logan and Angel drove up the drive on his Harley and parked it. A duplicate Warren flew down and landed next to the Harley. The scene froze as they took it all in.

Logan walked over to himself and pressed a hand into his duplicate’s shoulder and encountered resistance just like he was touching a statue, "They’re solid. This ain’t an illusion."

Scott reached out and touched the orange mesh fencing and tried to shake it. The fencing didn’t move under his touch. "You’re right," he said.

"It’s like some sort of virtual reality or 3D environment," Bobby said looking around in a circle.

"Charles?" Warren called out.

Charles, his voice booming like a roll of thunder, told them, "Angel will show you the information you need."

"Damn! If I ever expected to hear the Voice of God, I think it’d sound like that!" Bobby said putting his hands over his ears.

"Don’t be blasphemous," Kurt said.

"Well, what do you expect God to sound like?" Bobby asked him taking his hand down.

Kurt thought for a moment, "Just like that."

"See?" Bobby looked around at the assembled group, "Am I right or am I right?"

"But I don’t think he’d sound like Charles," Kurt added.

Bobby shrugged, "What if he does?" They both shuddered.

"Shut up you two," Cable said, "The clock’s ticking and I need to get to San Francisco tonight. Where’s Angel?"

"Whoa!" Logan said backing up as Angel walked out of her duplicate. She was wearing her blue shirt and shorts while her frozen duplicate was in the denim jacket and jeans so the group was easily able to tell them apart. She put her arms around Logan’s neck and began to kiss him.

Embarrassed by the show of affection, Logan removed her arms and pulled away saying, "Not now, Darlin’." He jerked his head at the assembled group and whispered, "Business before pleasure."

Angel sighed and started to quickly head east down the block away from the Lobo Tech building and the main road. "Follow me!" she yelled over her shoulder as she passed the construction machines.

They followed her to the end of the block where she stopped on the sidewalk. "This is how the werewolves arrived," she said once they had all gathered around her. She turned to the road and they noticed a car drive by at an incredible rate of speed. The trees and bushes seemed to animate as they flicked their branches and leaves back and forth. It was eerie with no sound.

Two large white work vans with darkened windows sped towards them then impossibly quickly pulled up to the curb next to them. Both vans had two men in the front of each van who then speedily exited and opened the back doors of the vans. Several more men jumped out of the back of the vans, too quickly to be humanly possible, and the new group gathered around one man. Everything slowed down to normal speed and the X-men could see the leader talking, but there wasn’t any sound. The group of men, except for the two van drivers, began to run towards the Lobo Tech building changing into wolf form as they went.

"Charles, freeze it," Angel said. The scene froze around the X-men.

"So, that’s how they got here," Warren said in realization.

"It’s also how they disappeared so fast," Logan added.

Cable walked over to the group of men, "Warren do you recognize any of these men?"

The X-men gathered around the frozen group and began looking at faces.

"He looks vaguely familiar," Warren said pointing to the leader of the werewolves. "I don’t recognize anyone else."

When no one recognized any of the other men, Angel told them, "Let’s head back into the Lobo Tech building."

"This is actually quite interesting," Hank said as he fell into step next to Angel. "I didn’t know you had such detail this far away."

Angel chuckled, "You haven’t seen anything yet. There’s a reason why I’m having Charles freezing everything in place while we move around."

"Oh?"

"Look ahead of us," she said cryptically.

"Hey!" exclaimed Bobby pointing at the Lobo Tech building, "What’s wrong with that picture?"

All the X-men looked at the Lobo Tech building. The concrete exterior looked like it was made of gray frosted glass and the metal girders of the ruined building glowed brightly through in the fading light. As they walked, they noticed a similar affect on the objects around them getting more and more transparent, like stained glass, the closer they got to the Lobo Tech building. Every object made of metal glowed with light.

Angel answered Bobby’s question, "You’re seeing my spatial ability in action. The closer we get to myself, the more detail you’ll notice. Charles froze it right where I’m looking for metal sources."

"Does it really glow like that?" Cable asked.

"If I’m looking for something specific and I find it, it’ll glow in my mind," Angel replied. "It helps me to find things that I’m looking for." She gave him an assessing look, the gray haired man who had asked the question was taller than her by a foot and was probably three times her weight, all muscle. He had a grown out military cut, was clean-shaven and wearing light khaki cargo pants with a darker khaki multi-pocket vest over a black t-shirt. He looked to be fifty if he was a day and carried himself like retired military, relaxed but you knew he’d get your back in a fight. "I’m guessing that you’re Cable."

The man grunted in the affirmative and turned as Bobby walked forward towards the head of the group, pointing at Logan’s Harley, "Wow! Look at the bike!" The nearly all-metal motorcycle was suffused with light. "Next time I lose my keys," Bobby said. "I’ll know who to ask to help me find them." He turned and grinned at Angel who just rolled her eyes.

As the group entered the ruined Lobo Tech building, they noticed that not only did the girders glow, but also lumps and chunks of metal strewn along the floor and ceiling. There were faint glowing lines within the walls of the building.

Kurt pointed at one of them, "What’s this?"

"Electrical wiring," Angel said and then she explained, "The more it glows, the more wires there are or were in that spot. Since I was looking for metal, those have to be melted or existing electrical or telephone wires."

Hank walked over to the same spot as Kurt and ran his hand along the wall, "Fascinating. What else can you detect like this?"

"Whatever I’m looking for will glow, Hank, no matter what it is."

Jean walked past them and raised her arm over her eyes as she entered a bright light, "I found Logan!"

The rest of the X-men hurried to her side and saw a blazing light coming off of the duplicate Logan’s skeleton as it leaned against the wall behind the duplicate Angel.

Hank ran forward to see the effect up close. Squinting his eyes against the light, he touched the copy, "The whole body is here, but I can see right through it to the metal." He began to examine the fake Logan.

Logan walked up to himself and also began to look at his metal skeleton, "Always wondered what it looked like."

The rest of the X-men also neared the duplicate Logan to stare at the glowing metal skeleton.

"It’s like Halloween," Bobby said. "Ghostly buildings and glowing skeletons."

"Charles," Angel said, "move it to where I’m looking for bone."

Suddenly, the duplicate Warren who had been standing next to the duplicate Logan, also began to glow. His taller skeleton towered over the other, the bones in the folded wings looking like umbrella spokes.

"Oh, now that’s just plain macabre!" Kurt exclaimed looking at the skeletal duplicate Warren facing the skeletal duplicate Logan as they both leaned against the glass-like wall.

"Definitely Halloween!" Bobby laughed.

"Can we stay here for a while?" Hank asked.

"I’d rather not," Cable said. He walked up to Angel, "Where are the sewers involved in this?"

She looked him in the eye and called out, "Charles, please run time forward naturally."

The X-men jumped as the duplicate Warren asked, "Anything?"

"Lots." The duplicate Angel said behind them, "Bone fragments. You didn’t tell me anyone died here. Lots of twisted and melted metal; machinery of some sort. Bullets. Guns here and there, but they’re twisted and melted also. There’s a couple of rooms below this floor," the duplicate Angel pointed towards the street, "with an underground corridor that leads off in that direction."

The duplicate Logan’s shoulder came off the wall and he tossed down the stub of his cigar, "Where’s the entrance to these rooms?"

"Aren’t you going to put that out?" the duplicate Angel asked turning to look at the cigar stub.

As they spoke, the duplicate men’s bodies flickered and began to show gradient levels of vision. First the X-men saw the men’s duplicates, as they normally appeared as if in a mirror, then their clothes faded revealing the items in their pockets and their actual naked physique.

"Oh, dear," Jean said and turned away.

The duplicates’ musculature and tendons were revealed as the skin seemed to disappear and then their interior organs and finally their skeletons were exposed. Then the process began all over again and kept on repeating.

"The place already burnt down," the duplicate Logan said. "Where’s the door?"

The duplicate Angel pointed towards a corner of the building, "Over there. It’s under a pile of furniture."

"Cool!" Bobby exclaimed looking around. "That weird melting affect is happening to everything!" The rest of the X-men looked around them and noticed the same thing. "Hey, Kurt, do you think we could duplicate this in the Danger Room? This would make a great Haunted House!"

"We’d have to tone down the nudity, but it’s feasible," Kurt responded.

"Just skip the nudity and go straight from clothes to skinless. This would be great!"

"Please don’t," Angel said seriously. "I don’t want to be reminded of these events."

Kurt looked at Angel’s face, she looked very sad, "Bobby, maybe we should rethink your idea."

Undaunted, Bobby said, "Well, if anything this is good source material."

"Like someone was trying to hide it?" The duplicate Warren asked as he approached the duplicate Angel.

"Yeah, it sort of feels pushed together, jumbled together," the duplicate Angel replied.

"Charles, please forward this until I’m near the storage room below and then freeze it," Angel requested. "If you’ll follow me," she said to the X-men, "this is where you will have your best clues as to what was really going on here."

The duplicates sped up and disappeared down into the rooms below. Logan led the X-men to the hole in the floor and dropped down into it. One by one the others followed and when they were all down, Angel led them to the storage room. The duplicates were standing just beyond the doorway, frozen in place.

"This is what Charles said was the most important information," she said as she led them into the last room on their right.

The light in the hallway illuminated part of the storage room, the rest of it was in a sort of half-light provided by Angel’s scanning ability and Charles. A table and chairs occupied the near corner of the room next to the door. Everything was in a stained glass-like gradient so that they could see the contents of the containers. Miscellaneous clothing, canned food, water bottles, candles, matches, blankets, towels and similar emergency supplies were in the first boxes near the doorway. Behind them, were boxes of electronic equipment and parts. Several round bellied containers of gas and kerosene sat on the floor next to them. Against the other wall sat eighteen wooden crates leaving enough space for a six feet walkway between the two piles leading to the end of the room.

Eight crates were full of what looked like plastic blocks and padding, six crates were full of more padding and thick brown tubes, two crates contained gas cans full of fuel also padded. The last two crates held various sized boxes that contained several different types of what looked to be high tech metal and plastic weapons. In the top of the last crate, sat two shoebox sized metal boxes with syringes, needles and several vials of liquid encased in foam padding.

"Charles and I discussed the contents of these crates. Because I will later actually walk past them, we were able to determine the chemical makeup of every item," Angel told the X-men as she walked down the aisle and pointed to the various crates as she spoke. "The bricks are C4 explosive. The tubes are construction grade dynamite. The fuel in the gas cans is a variant form of rocket fuel, to be used as an accelerant per Charles. The boxes contain weapons, they’re broken down so I didn’t recognize them as such earlier." She came to the last two crates, "Hank, Charles said you’d be most interested in the two small metal boxes that contain the syringes. I sensed that they contained blood plasma among other chemicals."

"How close do you have to be to tell what an object is made from?" Cable asked.

"It depends on what’s between us. You saw how easy it was to find metal and bone earlier. If there is nothing between us I can tell the chemical makeup or even cellular structure of an object within ten feet, I can tell base material such as copper or nickel and distinguish bone from wood within fifty feet and I can tell the difference between animal, vegetable and mineral within a hundred feet but I can only get exterior information about objects by the time they’re two hundred feet from me."

He asked her another question, "Would you be able to detect C4 or dynamite inside an office building."

"Most office buildings are pretty large, I wouldn’t necessarily be able to detect it from outside, but if I walked around inside of it, sure. I’d even be able to draw you blueprints of the place."

"You can make blueprints?"

"Architectural Design was one of my minors in college."

"Can you come with us to San Francisco?"

"Hold it, Cable," Scott ordered. "You’re not taking her with you."

"Why not?" Cable asked him, "There may be similar caches just like this beneath or inside Warren’s downtown office buildings. The information I have is that they’re going to destroy several buildings in the downtown area using property owned by Worthington Enterprises. My informant told me that they’re not using car bombs or planes. In planning this type of operation they’ll require a lot of explosive product and it’s supposed to happen in the next few days. I’ve
been trying to find the leader of this terrorist cell for six months, if we can locate the explosives before they’re detonated, I might be able to capture him and his goons and find out who’s been giving him his orders."

Scott sighed and seemed torn in making a decision, "I really don’t want to put her in this type of situation so soon."

"Scott," Jean said, "She’s totally untrained. We don’t even know what she’s really capable of."

"What do you mean?" Cable asked looking at Jean, "Warren explained earlier that she can scan and has a kinetic shield."

"She also has some sort of kinetic blast," Logan added. "Charles had her do a demonstration of her abilities earlier today," Logan continued. "She knows what she’s doing. She just has control issues. All she needs is practice."

"Cable, you don’t know what she’s been through." Jean explained, taking Scott’s side in putting roadblocks up to stop them from taking her from the Institute. "She joined us five days ago, but she’s only been awake for two of those days. Later on, this place goes up in an explosion big enough to crack the sewer walls for hundreds of feet. Warren, Logan and Angel were right in the middle of it."

"Excuse me," Angel said loudly, drawing their attention, "Charles and I still have a few more things to show you." She walked out of the room and down the hallway to the door leading to the sewer. "Some of the walls of these rooms are exceptionally thick, I think they new that they were going to be storing explosives here before or during construction." She looked at the door, "Charles could you remove the door so we can get through?" The door disappeared and the X-men followed her into the sewers.

"I had Charles make some modifications to the sewers," Angel explained as they started following her down the tunnel. "We decided it would make it easier to create this environment without sound for the most part or smell. I also had him make the sewage insubstantial. You can still see the slime and muck so you know what the place looked like without the slipping and sliding that we had to deal with in the real world."

They walked for a short while until they came to a ladder going up to the surface. "Charles go ahead and run time forward please until the three of us are in this location."

They were alone for a few moments and then there was a brief blur of movement. Suddenly the action slowed to regular speed and the duplicate Warren appeared next to the ladder. The duplicate Logan, covered in muck and blood, leaped onto the ladder and shot up it, grabbing the duplicate Angel’s leg as she tried to escape through the manhole cover above. The duplicate Angel kicked at the duplicate Logan, trying to get him to let her go. The duplicate Logan climbed up the ladder further, wrapped an arm about the duplicate Angel’s waist and, even as she struggled, he used his superior strength to pull her off the ladder. The scene froze with the dangling duplicate Angel’s horrified face looking down at the duplicate Warren and assembled X-men.

"Geesh, Logan," Bobby commented, "You really know how to sweep a girl off her feet."

"Charles did choose a rather dramatic moment to stop the action," Hank seemed to agree, looking upwards.

Warren and Logan were looking at Angel who had her eyes closed. Logan walked over to Angel and put a hand on her back. He began, "Angel—"

She held up a hand, stopping him from saying anything and took a deep breath. She walked five feet further down the tunnel and stopped, turning around to face the X-men. "This was the farthest up the sewer tunnel that we got to," she stated impassionately. "But, I could still detect further up the sewer tunnel. I had a nightmare earlier today and what I thought had been part of the … flavor text of the dream actually turned out to be my subconscious trying to tell me, or remind me, about another room I barely sensed further down the sewer line."

The virtual reality environment that went further down the tunnel behind her changed becoming transparent and glass-like. They could see through the concrete walls into the dirt and rocks behind them and further away, they saw more concrete forming other sections of the tunnels. She turned to the strange display behind her and she spread her arms encompassing the entire changed view. "This is a closer depiction of how I see my environment through my scanning ability. Charles had some difficulty when he first entered my mind and I had to help him to comprehend the scanning data I receive. He said that the virtual reality environment is something that you are all very familiar with and it would be the easiest way for you to understand the events that occurred in White Plains."

She pointed to an area in the far distance that appeared indistinct and fuzzy. The X-men moved forward craning their necks to see what she pointed at. They saw, amid the transparent walls of the tunnels, the distant shape of a rough walled room, inside of it there were several squares and rectangles before the image became so fuzzy the objects ran together and became totally incomprehensible. "There is a room here with several square and rectangular objects, I know you can’t tell from what you see here, but I believe some of those crates are the same size as those in the storage room under Lobo Tech. Charles said he would get me a map of the sewers in White Plains so I can mark where this room should be."

Cable walked forward as if to investigate and bumped into what felt like the equivalent to a wall. He put his hand up and it slid against a surface he couldn’t see.

"I don’t think you’re supposed to go through the looking glass," Bobby smirked. Cable turned around and glared at him.

"I asked Charles if he would show me the explosion since my memory of it is rather sporadic," Angel said, moving on to the next topic and walking through the group, back the way they had come.

"It’s a form of mental self-preservation," Jean informed her as she fell into step behind her. "Most people who endure major trauma to their systems have no idea what occurred."

Angel nodded, and said over her shoulder, "I know. He also thinks it would be a good idea for Hank and the rest of you to see what happened."

They were about thirty feet from the door into Lobo Tech when she stopped. "Because of the fighting and my running further up the tunnel," she told them, "I didn’t know what the remaining six werewolves were doing. Charles and I found out that they removed some of the guns and explosives from the storage room, a laptop and most likely some important CD’s, computer disks and papers from one of the bedrooms. They also had time to set up the bomb."

Angel looked up and down the tunnel before she continued, "Charles, can you start it up again right after I discover the bomb?"

Within seconds, all three of the duplicates ran out of the sewer door and began to run slower and slower as Charles slowed down the action so they could watch what had occurred during the explosion. The duplicate Angel, having run several yards, turned around and raised both of her hands palm up, the duplicate Warren and Logan ahead of her and totally oblivious to her actions.

Suddenly, the sensitivity of the surrounding virtual reality behind the duplicate Angel became slightly fuzzy as a thick wall of force emerged in front of her in the sewer tunnel. They watched as the explosion slammed the sewer door into the tunnel wall directly across from it. Cracks ripped apart the tunnel walls and ceiling, a billowing ball of fire appeared through the doorway and expanded as it emerged into the sewers. Chunks of cement tore from the walls around the doorway and flew down the tunnel towards them. They were all able to gather around and watch the duplicate Angel gritted her teeth, close her eyes and try to lean into her kinetic shield as the surging tide of fire and debris came towards her. Her shimmering wall repelled the initial wave, the largest chunks of debris rebounded and shot back the way they’d come. The fire pounding at the center of her shield turned back and headed the other way, but with another explosive concussion, more fire came behind it and eventually curved around and seemed to pick up the shield, pressing it into her and lifting her up into the air.

They unconsciously followed the duplicate Angel as they saw her fight to keep the shield between her and the explosion. A large white wingtip clearly emerged from behind her right hip as her body caught up with the duplicate Warren’s. She pressed into the wing and turned her head to the left as she realized she was hitting something behind her. The action slowed even further as both of Warren’s wings emerged from either side of her as her hips slammed into the left side of his back. Her right foot made contact with the back of Warren’s left knee and he lifted up twisting to the right. His wings began to engulf her and force her to twist with him. They hit the curved sewer wall together sideways. They watched as the duplicate Angel winced in pain as her whole body collapsed at an angle against Warren’s body and the wall.

The shield she had been holding in place disappeared and the watchers saw a nearly invisible ripple spread from her body and pass through them removing the fuzziness and giving back the clear virtual reality of the three-dimensional field of her scanning ability.

Logan saw his duplicate pressed against the wall, eyes closed and teeth gritted as his left arm tried to brace against the force of the blow as he slammed into the sewer tunnel. He said with a slight amount of amusement, "Now I know why my left arm hurt so damned much when I woke up."

Behind them, the wall of fire, released from the confines of the shield, formed a convex pattern in the center as it was about to crash against the curving tunnel wall. Beyond and within the fire, they could see pieces of rock and sewage hovering in mid air, ready to pummel into the tunnel wall and the three mutants pressed against it.

"Oh, my!" Hank said as he focused his attention on the duplicate Warren and Angel. They were back to back with Warren’s arms raised up, his arms and the left side of his face pressing against the wall. Angel’s body covered half of Warren’s at a ninety-degree angle. Hank could see her face beginning to register horror as she realized what was happening to them. Her arms were flung out to the sides, her right wrist had actually broken through the top of Warren’s left wing from the force of the blast. Two streams of blood and several droplets splashed in midair on either side of her wrist and the two parts of the wing had started to fold around her hand. Her left arm had slammed against the wall. The real Angel stood stricken, her eyes wide and her mouth open as she watched herself and the progression of the terrible events.

His attention drawn by Hank’s cry, Cable walked over and leaned against the wall looking at how Warren and Angel were compressed against each other, "Hank, look at this, she’s breaking his bones."

Movement slowed even more and at Cable’s comment, all the X-men and Angel approached the wall and watched as the edges of the duplicate Warren’s broken top rib bones and clavicle began to poke through the duplicate Angel’s left side puncturing her unprotected lower rib cage and abdominal area. It was appalling to see, but no one could turn away.

"Oh, God," the real Angel gasped, a horrified look on her face. Logan and Jean looked at her and Logan began to make his way back over to her after they had all separated out to watch the explosion and it’s effects.

The duplicate Warren’s left arm wasn’t visible but his hand stuck out from behind the duplicate Angel’s neck. Angel’s pelvis and thighs burrowed into Warren’s back and hips, her lower legs and feet pressing against the tunnel wall. Angel’s head struck the wall and a halo of blood appeared behind her head as her skull cracked open. Everything dissolved to black.

Chapter 11

They reappeared standing in the center of Charles’ familiar living room-like mindscape where he sat in a large overstuffed recliner in the center edge of the circle of furniture.

"Oh, my God," Angel moaned and closed her eyes just as Logan finally reached her.

He quickly pulled her into his arms. "It’s alright," he soothed. "It’s over. Warren, you, me, we’re all okay."

Logan walked her over to one of the sofa’s and sat down in it next to the arm, pulling her down to sit next to him. Jean joined them sitting on Angel’s opposite side and she began to speak softly to Angel. The remaining X-men arranged themselves on the rest of the furniture, sending surreptitious glances towards Angel.

"That was harsh," Bobby said quietly.

Charles’ eyes shifted from the trio on the sofa to Bobby. "She should be dead," he said evenly, his elbows on the armrests of his chair with his hands steepled in front of him. "They all should be dead. I do not think even Logan’s regenerative capabilities would have been able to repair the wounds such a firestorm would have generated even if he were able to hold his breath long enough for the oxygen levels to rise to near normal. It was Angel’s own sense of self-preservation that caused her to use her kinetic shield. Even though she wasn’t able to sustain it, her shield deflected the initial massive sections of concrete and rock that would have crushed their bodies. It also deflected the fire, keeping their side of the tunnel from losing all of its oxygen. There are scorch marks along the sewer tunnel walls five hundred feet from the epicenter of the explosion on the opposite side of the tunnel from them. Her shield dampened the force of the explosion because the fire had to travel so far down the tunnel to find oxygen to feed it. Instead, the majority of the fire ended up going through the ceiling and Lobo Tech.

"I don’t tell you," he meant all the X-men present when he said it, "how to run your Teams anymore. You’re all too experienced for that. But when you want to bring civilians into X-Corporation business I want you to think twice." Warren winced and looked down at his hands. "We’re a para-military multi national organization committed towards being recognized and sanctioned by the United Nations. It was most fortunate that Angel just happened to crash into Warren so that his regenerative blood could save her life."

"An act of God," Kurt murmured.

"That may be," Charles said acknowledging Kurt’s comment, "since now we need her scanning ability more than ever. It may have been his intention to give her a healing factor since I’ll be sending her onto an even more dangerous mission."

Warren looked up from his hands, "What?"

"No, Charles," Scott exclaimed, "she’s been through enough. She hasn’t even fully recovered from—"

"Physically," Charles interrupted, "She is fully recovered and more now that she has gained a regenerative ability. Her mental state will be my concern. I have decided she will accompany Warren, Cable and Logan to San Francisco. Her scanning ability will allow her to determine the whereabouts of explosives placed in or around the Worthington buildings in the downtown area without having to use a large team or alerting the local authorities. Her background in Architecture grants her the knowledge to determine the locations of areas in each building that would be most vulnerable to the explosive techniques these terrorists have been known to use allowing Warren and Logan to create security measures, thwarting their plans."

Cable smiled and leaned forward in his seat, he wouldn’t have to fight with Scott about getting Angel to come with them to San Francisco. Charles was still in charge even though he’d officially given up his role as commander of the X-teams. Once he’d realized Angel’s potential, he hadn’t wanted to lose the opportunity to use such a valuable resource and Charles’ decision proved that he was of the same mind.

Jean stopped her whispered conversation with Angel and looked up surprised at Charles’ decision. She threw Angel a concerned glance and then looked at Logan who shrugged and non-verbally conveyed the message that he had nothing to do with Charles’ judgement.

"Scott," Charles continued, "I want you to form a team to investigate that other room in the sewers. Take whomever you think will be the most useful in dealing with explosives and bombs or the werewolves. I want Jean to decide from whomever is left to collect specimen samples from the Lobo Tech site. There were chemicals in that explosion and I want to know what they were. Your team will also be back up for Scott’s should the need arise. If there are werewolves present, I want them captured alive if possible. We need to know their purpose."

Hank raised his hand slightly and Charles nodded, giving him the floor, "I want a blood sample from Logan, Warren and Angel and a CAT scan and full physical done on Angel before they leave."

"Why another blood sample?" Logan asked. He had kept an ear on the conversation since all he was doing was providing a familiar body for Angel to lean against and take comfort from. It was Jean who had been giving her the psychobabble pep talk.

"I detected chemicals in the initial blood samples we took when the three of you arrived from White Plains. I want to verify that they have passed through your systems. I was never able to get a medical baseline on Angel and I want to do so before you leave. It shouldn’t take more than an hour with Annie’s help," Hank assured them.

"Angel needs to give us the exact location of the room we’re to investigate on a map of the White Plains sewer system. I’ll bring it down to the Infirmary," Scott told Hank, "since time is of the essence." He glanced at Cable.

Cable nodded in acknowledgement. "I know Warren and Logan were already planning on leaving so they’ve got to be packed already. We’ll need someone to pack Angel’s clothes while she’s busy."

"I’ll do it," Jean volunteered. "I have second choice for my team, so I have some spare time until he tells me who he’s taking." She turned to look at Angel, "You don’t mind me going through your things and packing them, do you?"

"No," Angel said tiredly.

"Is there anything you want me to make sure I pack for you?"

"My laptop and CD holder, they came in matching blue cases. Two business suits and something for hot weather. Don’t fill the suitcase up too much, it’ll only take me a half hour to get to Berkeley and I can get more clothes from home."

"We can buy her anything you forget," Logan said breaking into their conversation.

"I can just get stuff from my house," Angel replied. "You don’t have to buy me anything."

Logan’s eyebrows shot up, "You don’t want to buy anything?"

"Angel’s house is near San Francisco?" Cable said breaking into their conversation.

"It’s a half hour drive from SFO to my house," she told him. "An hour or more during rush hour."

"Too bad it’s too far away to use as a base of operations," Logan said with regret. He looked over at Warren who hadn’t been assigned anything to do, "Warren could ya upgrade our hotel room? We’ll need a suite now that we have a woman along. And tell your pilot that we’ll be late. I’m gonna get Cable and Angel’s paperwork and badges done to add them to my security firm cover as assistants."

"Pilot?" Angel’s head snapped around, "What do you mean? I’m not getting on a plane."

"Yes, you are," Logan informed her before turning back to Cable.

"No, I’m not. I already told you, I don’t fly!" Angel’s voice was getting shrill and escalating in fear. "I’m not getting on a—!"

"Angel!" Charles’ voice boomed in her ears, and her hands came up to cover them although it was useless since he was using his mental powers and hadn’t actually said anything. "You’ll be wearing an inhibitor. You won’t be able to feel the ground beneath you." He added soothingly his voice returning to normal, "You’ll be fine. I can even help you sleep during the flight if you would like."

Angel stared at Charles and said in a quiet voice, "Okay. I’d like that."

Charles nodded affirmatively and smiled before he turned to Cable, "I want regular reports on your progress, including any progress with your local contacts. Keep me informed. I may send out more agents if and when they become available."

No one had heard the conversation between Angel and Charles and their puzzled faces showed that they wondered what he had offered her to make her calm down so quickly.

"I’d like to keep this operation as small as possible," Cable told him, ignoring Angel’s outburst and subsequent comment. "The more obvious X-men in the area, the harder it’ll be to keep this quiet. You know how the media picks up on things."

"I do indeed," Charles replied. "Warren may draw some attention, so keep any physical contact with him on a business level using Logan’s security cover."

"That’s why we got us a hotel room instead o’ stayin’ at Warren’s place," Logan said.

"Bobby and I will contact everyone and tell them to report to Scott," Kurt volunteered since they hadn’t been assigned any duties.

"Thank you, Kurt, Bobby," Charles glanced around the room. "That’s it then. Warren, Logan, Angel and Hank will go down to the Infirmary. Scott tell Kurt and Bobby where you want people to meet you. I will get the map of the sewers and take it down to Angel for you. Jean will start packing for Angel. And Cable …"

"I’ve got people to call and a strategy to revise now that I know we’ll have Angel with us," he said, informing the group of his activities.

"You can use the computer and phones in the Institute’s public office," Charles offered, "I’ll get it set up for you." With that last comment, he released them from his mindscape and they were all back in their seats, or on the cot as the case was for Angel, in the conference room.

*

Charles walked into the Medical Lab and saw Angel was in the CAT machine. He went into the control booth and sat down next to Hank. "How much longer until you’re done?" he asked. "Warren has already left with their luggage and Cable is going over her personnel file and medical chart with Logan and Annie. Everyone’s waiting on her."

"Did you show Cable the security camera tapes of her demonstration on the Green earlier today?" Hank asked looking at the computer screen in front of him.

"Yes, he said if the shield and force blast were her only abilities, she would be a standard kinetic projector. He’s more impressed with her scanning ability, it puts her into a separate category," Charles replied tapping the folded paper he held in his hand onto his leg.

"Are those the sewer plans?"

"Yes. Scott and Jean have their teams picked out, they’re getting suited up now. Jean needs you to give her the specimen containers and any last minute instructions. Scott is waiting for Jean and the information on the sewers from Angel."

"Her first scan will be finished in a few minutes. Have Scott come down here to get the information on the sewers and you can put her through the second scan while I get the equipment and supplies for Jean’s team." Hank never took his eyes off the computer console watching the screen depict Angel’s lower legs.

Charles was silent for a moment, and then he told Hank, "He’s on his way down and Jean says she’ll be waiting for you in your lab."

Hank nodded, the monitor showed Angel’s feet and then stopped. He typed something into the computer and pulled out a CD and placed another one into the machine. Charles watched Hank make a second copy of the data they had received from the machine for his own files. When the second CD had the data transferred to it, he pulled it out and put it into a binder that had been sitting upright in the center of the consol where the instructional and data books were held. Charles noted that the clear binder cover held a title sheet in place, ‘Angelique Green’ before Hank returned the binder to its previous location.

Hank stood up. "Do you want her to go over the map in here or out there?" he asked pointing towards the scanning room.

"We can use the scan bed as a table," Charles stood up and followed him into the connecting room.

Hank walked over to the Computerized Axial Tomography machine just as the bed extended. "You can open your eyes now," he told Angel as she appeared in view. Except for the inhibitor, she was completely nude to Charles’ surprise. "Charles brought the map of the White Plains sewers, but we’re also waiting for Scott to arrive."

Angel’s eyes fluttered open as they adjusted to the well-lit room. She sat up and Hank moved to the head of the bed and helped to steady her as she turned so her knees and feet dropped off the bed and dangled in the air. She sighed and rubbed the area between her eyebrows, "Now can I have the inhibitor off? It’s giving me a headache."

Charles frowned in concern and asked, "How long have you had this headache?" Mentally, he contacted Hank, *Why isn’t she wearing a cover?*

"Since the sedative wore off," Angel replied, "possibly before that, but I was too relaxed to notice."

*She said she didn’t need one, that she wasn’t ashamed of her body and neither should I or anyone else,* Hank replied to Charles’ mental contact. *It was recorded by the security cameras so we’re covered legally.*

"Let’s take the inhibitor off and run you through the machine again and see if your headache goes away," Charles said as he walked around the scan bed and behind Angel. He tossed the map onto the head of the bed before he reached up and turned off the inhibitor, the red lights dimming and then extinguishing. Suddenly a rippling wall of energy was released as the inhibitor cut off, centered on Angel. Both Charles and Hank were rocked back a step as the wall hit and then flew through them, the map fell to the floor. Looking around they caught a glimpse of the ripple as it hit and then passed through the walls of the room. "Check the computers," Charles said worriedly just as Hank was already moving towards the connecting door.

Charles mentally searched the building until he found, *Logan, check the security cameras and my computer to make sure they’re still working correctly. I want to make sure Angel’s kinetic energy didn’t damage any of the hard or software.* Charles heard Logan’s mental affirmative before he disconnected contact.

Angel sighed happily and relaxed her shoulders and back, hunching forward. She had a smile on her face as she turned to look at Charles, "It’s the inhibitor, my headache’s already disappearing." She seemed completely unaware of the energy wall.

Hank came onto the intercom, "Everything is in working order. I don’t detect any problems, but I’m going to run a system diagnostic just in case before I put her through for the second time."

"What’s the matter?" Angel straightened up in concern, "Did something happen?"

Charles bent down and retrieved the map, "Your scan seems to be based on kinetic energy. It’s been bottled up and when it was released, it came out in … as a force. I want to make sure it didn’t damage any of the electronics in the building."

"Oh, I’m sorry," she said apologetically.

"No need to be sorry, my dear," he replied with a smile, "no one knew what would happen when we turned the inhibitor off. Hank already saved the data on disk before we came out here so we wouldn’t have lost any important information. How is your scanning?"

Angel’s eyes lost focus for a moment, "Still expanding. Warren isn’t on the grounds." She blinked, "Cable’s … bionic … Scott’s almost here." She reached up and pulled off the inhibitor, "Ah, normality at last." She turned and handed Charles the inhibitor, "Where’s my laptop?"

Charles smiled at the information she so easily obtained in a few moments of concentration. He’d made the right choice in deciding to send her on the San Francisco mission. "Warren took the luggage to JFK so it could be loaded onto his jet in preparation for your arrival. I believe you told Jean to put your laptop into your suitcase."

Angel nodded, "Yes, I did." She scratched her head vigorously where the inhibitor had lain on her head. "Oh that feels so much better."

Scott walked into the control room and did a double take at Charles talking to a naked Angel. "What’s going on?" he asked forcibly turning his face towards Hank so he wouldn’t stare at her.

"We turned off the inhibitor on Angel," Hank said looking at the controls on the consol and verifying they were in working order. "You probably felt it as a wave of energy. I’m making sure she didn’t damage any of the machinery." He hit a switch, "So far, everything reads normal, but I’m having it run a diagnostic just to be sure. It’ll be done in a few minutes." He looked up at Scott and jerked his head towards the other room, "Why don’t you join them and she can give you the information on the sewers."

"She’s naked," Scott said disapprovingly, not moving his head away from Hank.

"She doesn’t care if you see her nude," Hank replied. "It doesn’t bother her."

"It bothers me," Scott replied.

Hank turned his whole body to face Scott, "Apparently, her view of the human body isn’t obstructed by clothing. She is completely aware of what you look like nude also. It doesn’t distress her to see you nude so I believe she feels it shouldn’t distress you to see her nude." At Scott’s frown, Hank grabbed the microphone for the intercom and held it out to him, "If you want to, tell her to put something on."

Scott looked down at the microphone and frowned in frustration at Hank. "I’m not going to do that," he said in disgust.

"Instead of imagining she doesn’t have clothes on," Hank suggested helpfully, "imagine she does."

Scott sighed and glared at Hank before he walked through the connecting door and into the scanning room. He focused on Angel’s face although his brain registered her pink nipples and areolas on slightly better than proportional breasts. His palms itched to reach up, hold them and run his thumbs over her erect nipples. His mouth began to water at the thought of his tongue doing the same.

Charles began unfolding the map, "Angel why don’t you get off the bed and we’ll use it as a table."

Angel hopped off the bed and Scott saw a flash of cleft below a thin honey colored strip on her pubic mound. Angel smiled at him and said, "Hi, Scott," and then turned around, showing her small waist, perfectly rounded ass and muscular dancer’s legs. He was starting to get a hard on and he knew Angel would know so he forced himself to look at Charles who was placing the map on the scan bed.

From the moment her scanning ability returned, Angel was aware that Hank was very aroused, but his penis, which shared many characteristics with the greater cats such as a sheath and spines, was concealed behind his pants and didn’t poke forward like a human’s. If she wanted to find out what it was like to fuck a tiger or a lion, she’d proposition him, but she wasn’t into bestiality so she hadn’t tried to entice him. She also knew Charles was trying to keep his flesh from showing his interest in her body. He was more successful at it being the cerebral type and considerably older, but she could tell he’d bang her if he could. Viagra did wonders for men. Too bad she wasn’t interested in fucking the boss, too many complications and there were far more younger hotter looking men on the property. Scott on the other hand was a take-charge kind of guy, the type she liked and he even came with a hot looking wife. A threesome danced in her head even as she registered his arousal. Oh, wow, he’s … large. Either Jean has problems or she’s a size queen.

"Hello," Scott said reaching the scan bed.

"I’ve already marked out Lobo Tech and the area damaged by the explosion in green," Charles said as he pointed to an area on the map. "I marked the route taken by Angel, Warren and Logan in blue. It ended here at this ladder junction." His hand traced the line and stopped at a cross line. "Angel, where is the room we need to investigate?"

Angel stared at the map, trying to concentrate on the printed lines and not on the endowment of the men near her. Getting familiar with the maps markings and pulling the matching information from her memory, she leaned forward unconsciously, propping her right forearm on the map in front of her as her left hand began to trace the tunnels. Her breasts fell forward to rest against her crossed arm while she shifted her weight on her legs, slightly raising her ass in the air.

Hank walked into the room intent on checking the CAT machine itself since it was at ground zero of the kinetic wave and almost tripped upon seeing her raised ass in front of him, her nether lips peeking out from between her thighs. At his stumble, Angel distractedly looked over her shoulder at him before returning her attention to the map, her long hair moving to and fro over her back like a lure.

Charles caught Hank’s misstep and saw his gaze directed at Angel’s rear. "Angel," he said mildly, he didn’t know if she was even aware of what she was doing so he didn’t want to make too big of a fuss, "what did I tell you about baiting the men?"

Angel looked up at him, puzzled, "What?" She registered the direction of Hank’s eyes and forward facing ears and immediately stood straight. "Sorry," she apologized to both Charles and Hank, "didn’t realize. Truly, I didn’t."

Hank mumbled something beneath his breath before turning his attention to the machine.

Charles carefully brushed Hank’s mind and found out he was upset Charles had said anything. He had enjoyed the view and had wanted it to continue while he checked the machine. Charles was chagrined. He turned his attention to Angel and stared at her wondering if she was telling the truth about not realizing what she was doing. It was so easy with most of the others, as he had just proven on Hank, being able to instantly get into their minds and find out information without them knowing, that it grated on his nerves not being able to read the mind of this new employee who wasn’t even a psychic. Mentally he shrugged, she’d be in San Francisco with Logan and Cable soon enough and Logan, with his stamina, would keep her busy. Physically he sighed and, pointing out a small red dot on the map, said, "This is where I estimated the room to be."

"Not quite," she replied and her hand moved slightly further down the map. "It’s just past this tunnel juncture, right here," she pointed to a spot on the map measured at fifty feet further down. "I couldn’t detect a doorway in the juncture or in either tunnel," she said glancing from Charles to Scott. "That doesn’t mean it isn’t there if it’s the same density as the surrounding concrete. The entry could also be further away at the far end of the room, which I couldn’t detect. Worst-case scenario, it’s actually a basement or subbasement for the building above it and the door is inside the building. I’d hate to be sending you on a fool’s errand if the boxes and rectangles are file storage for the business above," she added ruefully.

"There are two reasons we’re returning to the sewers," Scott reminded her. "Jean’s team will be collecting samples for Hank and if there isn’t anything down here," he pointed at the location she indicated, "then we’ll patrol until the other team is done and make sure there aren’t any fresh signs of traffic down there."

Charles dug a red pen from his pocket and marked where Angel said the room should be. "Scott, make a copy of this map for Jean and go over it with her team in case you run into problems."

"I was already planning that," Scott replied. "She should at least have a copy of the section with the blast area marked out to make sure they cover the area thoroughly."


Chapter 12

A taxi sat parked at the Institute’s front steps waiting to take Cable, Logan and Angel to the airport. Angel had changed into a navy blue pants outfit with a cream blouse and pumps. A cream handbag held football style in the crook of her right arm. Charles stood just inside the doors talking to Cable and Logan. Logan had changed out of his shorts and into a soft flannel red checked shirt with jeans and cowboy boots. His cowboy hat kept his unruly hair under wraps. Angel could tell he was wearing a tank undershirt, boxer-briefs and socks underneath it all. Cable wore boxer-briefs also she noted with a small smile. Boxer-briefs, she thought, the bicycle shorts of the underwear world. Giving men the support of briefs without the ‘panty-lines’. Her smile threatened to turn into a giggle so she quashed it by focusing on the item on Charles’ arm.

Charles had a large dark gray lightweight flannel hooded jacket thrown over his arm and a gray circlet held casually in his hand. He’d contacted Jean mentally earlier to find out what size shirt Angel wore and then had retrieved a jacket one size larger. As Angel approached them, he held it out and said, "Angel, I want you to wear this jacket as much as possible or carry it around with you when you aren’t with Cable or Logan. For your safety, it has a homing device." He knew she’d detect the beacon so why try to hide it.

Angel looked at the jacket with disgust, "Does it come in a different color?"

Charles smiled, "Yes, but Cable may want to have you work at night and the dark gray will make you less conspicuous. Jean said you didn’t have anything appropriate for covert nighttime activities."

"Can’t we just take the device out and put it in my purse?" she asked holding up a small cream handbag.

"You can," Charles replied and showed her how to open the interior pocket in which it was hidden, "but it registers body heat and heartbeat when it is worn which would help Cable and Logan determine your condition when they try to find you. Also this jacket will help conceal the inhibitor I’m going to place on you. You told me you wanted to be asleep for the plane trip. Have you changed your mind?"

"No, I’d rather be asleep," she sighed.

"Good," he smiled. "Then I’m going to put the inhibitor on you now and put you to sleep after you get into the car. Logan will help you out to the taxi and get you on the plane. You should wake up tomorrow morning in your hotel room." He held out the jacket and she put it on, zipping up the zipper. The pockets on either side of the fastening were big enough that she was able to put her handbag into one without it falling out.

Next, Charles raised the gray circlet and placed it on her head, this inhibitor had gray duct tape wrapped around most of the red plastic to keep it from glowing in the darkness. Logan walked up behind her and turned the inhibitor on. There was a small amount of red glow emitting between small sections of the tape towards the back of her head to indicate it was on and working. Logan pulled the generous hood of her jacket up to conceal the inhibitor and also concealed half of her face in the process. He took her arm and led her out of the Institute and down the stairs to the waiting taxi.

"Thank you," Cable told Charles, "I didn’t want to have to fight Scott to take her."

"Your father is justified in his opinion," Charles replied. "It is too soon for her to go on another mission, we really don’t know enough about her and she’s completely untrained, but we don’t need another World Trade Center style disaster. Keep her safe, Cable, and make sure I don’t regret my decision."

Cable gave him a brief nod before he headed out the doors, down the stairs and into the front passenger seat of the taxi.

"I’m not going to be able to sleep with this thing on my head," Angel whispered to Logan. "It gives me a headache."

"Don’t worry, Darlin’," Logan said pulling her towards him in the back seat so she rested in the crook of his shoulder. "You’ll be asleep in no time."

The driver asked, "No luggage?"

"No," Cable said, "There’s an extra fifty in it if you get us to JFK in forty-five minutes."

The driver’s eyes widened and he grinned greedily, "Sure, Man, no problem!" He put the car into gear and it sped away from the Institute.

From inside the doorway, Charles stood still and concentrated on Angel’s mind. Mentally he contacted her, *Angel, Cable and Logan have both had military service and they’re trained professionals. I understand you have a dislike for the military, but you’ll need to put it aside for the sake of this mission. They know you’re a civilian, and they’ll try to accommodate your needs, but not at the expense of the mission or the lives of others.

*Cable is in charge and he’ll expect you to follow orders, so do what he says and you shouldn’t get hurt. Don’t do anything courageous and don’t offer to do anything that you’re not absolutely sure you can do. Be honest with them and don’t be afraid to speak up, neither of you have worked together so you need to learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses. If you have any problems with something he asks you to do, tell him so he can consider alternatives. If Cable isn’t around, then consider Logan in charge. If neither one of them is available, use your best judgment or contact Warren if you can’t figure out what to do. Do you have any questions?*

*When can I take the inhibitor off?* she asked.

*They’ll take off the inhibitor at a convenient location so you should wake up without it. Anything else?*

*I don’t have Warren’s phone number.*

*Do you have a cell phone?*

*Yeah, in my purse.*

*Is it still set up for California use?*

*I upgraded to the National plan.*

*Good. I’ll have Logan program the numbers you need into it while you’re asleep.*

Angel sat up and pulled her purse from her pocket.

"What’s wrong, Darlin’?" Logan asked.

"Charles wants you to add phone numbers to my cell while I’m asleep." She opened her purse and took out a stylish silver flip phone with a camera attachment and handed it to him.

He flipped it open and looked at the controls. She gave him instructions on how to enter new names and numbers and he immediately added his own cell phone number to her list to make sure he did it right. He had her sit back in the crook of his arm, "Chuck’ll put ya t’ sleep soon."

"He hasn’t done it yet."

*That’s because I’ve been waiting for you to get settled,* Charles’ voice came into her mind. He’d also been going through her psyche now that her defenses were down. She was attracted to Logan, which was good since he’d be her buffer against Cable’s dictatorial militaristic style. She was upset about being ordered about, but she knew that lives were at stake so she was doing as she was told—for now. He’d have problems with her when all this was over.

*I’m settled,* she told Charles in her mind. *I can feel a headache starting already.*

Charles checked the pain receptors in her brain and she was right. The inhibitor was interfering with her natural functions and her body was telling her to correct the problem. *I’ll do what I can to alleviate the pain,* he told her. *Sleep now.* He activated the serotonin receptors in her brain and she quickly fell asleep against Logan’s chest.

*

The pain was dissipating. That was the first thing she was aware of when she woke up. Immediate relief from a migraine she only remembered having. She was so tired. Dead tired. She could feel Logan mentally and physically, she was lying back against his chest. He put the hood of her jacket back over her face then held her steady with an arm as he picked her up. She decided to keep her eyes closed and pretend sleep. His arms and chest felt so good, so warm and strong. She could smell his breath, tobacco from the cigar in his mouth and alcohol that he must have drunk on the plane. He was walking in a grassy field towards a SUV parked along a nearby road. The engine was still running, Cable stood inside the open driver’s door. The front and rear passenger doors were wide open.

"Did it hitch?" Logan asked him quietly once he reached the car.

"Nope," Cable replied in a low voice, "I guess it doesn’t affect electronics."

Logan deposited Angel in the rear passenger seat and pulled the inhibitor off her head. She started to slide down the seat and he caught her, slowing her descent but allowing her to half lie down in the back seat.

"Pop the trunk," he told Cable. Cable flicked the switch and the trunk unlatched. Logan reached into the luggage, opened Angel’s suitcase and put the inhibitor inside before shutting it and then quietly closing the trunk with just enough force that the latch caught. They both got inside the front of the car, Cable put it into gear and drove down the road. "We still have to be careful until we get her into the Institute Simulation Room and verify its effects."

Angel realized they were talking about the effects her kinetic field had on her surroundings once it restarted after turning off the inhibitor. Her expanding awareness told her they were on a service road near SFO, the San Francisco Airport, heading north towards the 101 Freeway. She lay in a daze, the roads were familiar to her so she passively let her senses give her the information on her surroundings.

She was in a Ford SUV, an Expedition she read from the exterior. The seats behind her had folded down and the space was now occupied by their luggage. She found her suitcase with the laptop inside. Jean had included everything she needed which mustn’t have been hard to figure since she’d barely unpacked before she’d headed out to White Plains with Warren and Logan. She found Logan’s suitcase, a carryall in which he had stuffed his clothes and toiletries and a box of condoms. The hint of a smile crossed her face. He was a man responsible for his own actions and she liked that. She sifted through the rest of the luggage and found Cable’s clothes including more gloves, toiletries and another box of condoms in a larger size than Logan’s. The other bags contained a laptop and cell phone, various equipment set up toolkit style in one case, various bladed weapons, a couple different guns and ammunition. Considering they were going up against terrorists, she wasn’t going to complain unless they wanted her to handle the weapons.

Finished with the luggage, she concentrated on Cable and let her senses tell her about this new person who would essentially control her life for the unforeseeable future. The wrinkles around his eyes and the lines on his face told her he was in the late forties or the early fifties she believed him to be. He had a strange metal with circuitry in his skull surrounding and including his left eye although visually it looked normal. This same metal and circuitry formed his left arm from where it bonded to the flesh in his shoulder all the way down to his fingertips. She could tell he had a type of glove over his left hand. She thought it must be flesh colored since she hadn’t noticed his metal hand earlier when she didn’t have access to her scanning ability. He was very muscular, which visually she had noticed before, and very male. She knew how large a man could get from the muscles and blood vessels in his penis, Cable was ten inches with a decent girth to back it up. No wonder his condoms were larger, they must be special ordered. What a monster! But she wouldn’t mind tasting it. Unconsciously, she licked her lips and murmured, "Mmmm."

Logan heard her and looked between the bucket seats at Angel. Noticing his movement, she shifted her hips laying flatter in the back seat and brought a hand up to her breast, resting it there. She felt Logan take a deep breath through his nose and almost immediately the blood flow to his dick increased. "Angel?" he asked tentatively, "Are you awake, Darlin’?"

"Mmmm," Angel murmured again and licked her lips again, turning her head towards the front seats. She let her other hand trail between her legs, she could feel her thong pressing against her clit and liquid warmth began pooling in her vagina.

Logan’s nostrils flared, "Shit, woman, ya wake up like that every time?"

"What?" Cable asked looking in the rear view mirror not seeing Angel, he quickly glanced between the seats before he returned his attention to the road and the route to the hotel. He had seen only a brief glimpse of her bottom half where her hand was rubbing between her legs. "She wakes up fuck ready?"

"So far," Logan replied. "Angel," he said loudly, "you ‘wake?"

Angel sighed slowly, there was no denying it so she slowly opened her eyes and breathed, "Yes." Her eyes locked onto Logan’s.

"Damn!" Cable exclaimed, and shot a jealous look at Logan.

The thought briefly crossed Logan’s mind to climb into the back seat with Angel, but they were driving through the downtown area already and they’d decided he would sign and pay for the hotel through his front company, Gulogulo Security. He sighed heavily and turned around to face forward in his seat and willed his cock down to semi-flaccidness. It wouldn’t look good for him to walk into the hotel lobby with a stiff one tenting his pants. Gruffly he ordered, "Angel, cool it down. We’re almost to the hotel and I gotta get us checked in."

Angel sighed, he was right. She wouldn’t be in a hotel room for another thirty minutes, but once the door was shut, she’d throw him on the bed and—Oh God! She wanted to fuck! She took a couple of deep breaths trying to calm herself down. She could wait half an hour. The hotel was expecting them so all Logan would have to do was give them his credit card and sign a few papers and they’d give him the card keys. A few minutes up the elevator to the room and — Damn! Couldn’t Cable drive any faster! Ooohhh, Cable … he’d be waiting in the car with her. Wonder what he tastes like? His mouth, his dick, his—"

"We’re here," Cable announced as he spotted the hotel up the block. He turned into the drive and parked in front of the lobby.

A young uniformed valet stood in a booth trying to keep warm, but when Cable and Logan both got out, he came forward and asked, "Would you like me to get you a Porter?"

"Yes," Cable said as he popped the trunk and came around to begin taking suitcases out.

The valet followed Logan into the lobby, "Sir, there’s no smoking in the hotel." Logan looked at his cigar stub, shrugged and made a slight detour to a sand receptacle and ground it into the grit before heading to the front desk. The valet headed to a door marked ‘Staff Only’ and soon returned with another uniformed young man who grabbed a brass and red-carpeted luggage cart from an alcove before heading out to the car parked in front of the hotel.

Angel had been surprised when both of the men had exited the car, but when she realized what they were doing and that it would get them up to the room faster, she was glad. She had gotten a hold of herself and straightened her clothes by the time Logan walked back out of the Hotel and Cable and the porter had loaded the luggage cart. The valet opened her door and she got out and immediately walked over to Logan and put her arm through his. He gave her a quick glance to make sure she was presentable before he turned and led her back inside. The porter pulled the luggage cart into the hotel while Cable gave the car keys to the valet and got his receipt tag. After finding out which room they were staying in, the porter led them towards the elevator. He held the door while Angel, Logan and finally Cable entered the enclosed space.

Logan asked the porter, "How’s the food from room service?"

"Excellent, sir," the porter answered. "Our restaurant on the top floor also prepares all the food for our room service orders. They’re open twenty-four hours a day so there’s always a chef. A pastry chef makes fresh scones, muffins or anything you’d like in the mornings for breakfasts. There’s an order sheet you can fill out tonight and they’ll pick it up and deliver it when you want it tomorrow morning."

"What time you want to get started?" Logan asked Cable.

Cable looked at his watch, "It’s almost midnight now. Say seven?"

Logan glanced at Angel and then back at Cable, "Make it nine. She’ll have jet lag."

Cable knew once they hit the room, he wouldn’t see Logan or Angel so he asked, "What do you two want for breakfast?"

"I don’t care," Angel replied.

"Meat," Logan told him, "Order enough for five people, these fancy hotel restaurants are notorious for small meals."

Cable looked at the porter who nodded and said, "He’s right."

When the elevator opened, Logan led the way to their rooms and opened the door to a suite. While Cable paid the porter a generous tip after he dropped off their bags and showed them the breakfast menu and what he recommended, Logan and Angel scouted out the rooms.

The door to the suite had opened into the kitchen. Sink, hotplates, stove, microwave on the countertop and refrigerator lined the wall to their right and a six person dining table finished the kitchen area. Further into the room, an entertainment center was set up against the right wall across from an oval sofa table, sofa bed, chair and two side tables. The far wall was actually a sliding glass door that opened onto a balcony with an outdoor table and four chairs. A door on the right wall led into the bedroom with a king sized bed, nightstand on each side, across from a television and chair. The bathroom included a Jacuzzi tub, shower stall and two sinks. A connecting door on the left wall of the kitchen led to a normal hotel room containing two double beds with a shared nightstand across from a desk with chair, television and the ubiquitous single chair in the corner next to another set of sliding glass doors leading onto a balcony with two chairs around an outdoor table. The bathroom to this room was next to the door out into the hall and contained the standard sink, toilet and shower bath. The only extra amenity in the room was a mini bar across from the connecting door separating the bathroom from the beds.

"A king on that side and two doubles on the other," Logan told Cable when the porter left.

"Doubles are too small for me," Cable said, "I’ll take the king."

"Awww," Angel exclaimed. "That bathroom has the Jacuzzi tub!"

"Tough shit," Cable said. "This isn’t a vacation."

"The doubles are in the extra room. We can lock off the rest of the suite and have the hotel change the doubles to a king tomorrow," Logan said placatingly. "Cable can sleep in the king tonight and we’ll switch rooms tomorrow."

Cable’s eyebrow rose, he hadn’t expected Logan to suggest the change. "Fine," he agreed. "Call them tomorrow and have them do it." He walked over and grabbed the breakfast list off the table. Pointedly, he said, "I’m going to order breakfast for delivery at eight thirty." He wanted them ready to leave the hotel by nine. He didn’t want to waste any more time. Logan grabbed up his and Angel’s bags and walked into the connecting room with Angel right behind him.

Cable sighed and grabbed the pen that had been with the breakfast list and quickly marked on the list several items. He knew he was probably ordering too much, but it was better to have too much than too little. A lesson he had learned quickly growing up and recently reinforced by the many different faces of the third world countries he’d traversed in his hunt for terrorists. Knowing the late hour, he called service to notify them to make sure they picked up the breakfast list on the outside of the exterior door.

He’d stripped and just gotten into bed when he heard Angel’s cries from the other room. Jealousy surged in him, how Logan had gotten her into his bed so quickly was beyond him. She was a nice piece and knowing she was a bitch in heat didn’t make it any easier. He considered jacking off, but remembered her scanning ability. If he wanted her to follow his orders, it would be best if she hadn’t ‘seen’ him masturbating. With a sigh he concentrated on relaxing his body and falling asleep.


Chapter 13

Logan put their luggage down against the wall across from the beds. Angel followed him after closing the door to their bedroom. When he turned around, she stepped between his boots and lifting the cowboy hat off his head with one hand, she cupped the back of his head with the other, her hand tangling in his thick hair.

She searched his face, taking in his golden brown eyes so piercing in their regard most never noticed the two small crinkles at the edges or the lone white hair hidden in the long sideburns as they blended into the unruly dark brown hair beneath his ear. This close, her senses told her things about this man most would never know, things even his best friends probably missed. For although he looked barely older than her own thirty years, she knew he was probably far older. His regenerative ability fighting a never ending battle against wear, tear and general misuse was imperceptively losing, ever so slowly giving way to the natural order of things. He probably wouldn’t look much different from what he did now in another thirty years, maybe, possibly, look closer to forty then.

Cocking her head to the side her eyes rested on his lips, full yet masculine, the teeth behind looked human, but she knew better, the canines slightly longer and sharper than they should be were an immensely expensive, bonded dental facade because, like the rest of his bones, adamantium metal covered his skull and natural teeth. If he didn’t have the bone claws, his teeth would be his most dangerous weapons seconded by adamantium knuckles.

She didn’t have to look at the massive chest and arms or strong thighs to know that he was in more than prime condition, his body self-repairing the tiniest of tears or damage to muscles and tissues caused by stress or strain. Her senses relayed that information along with the movement of skin and muscles as he shifted his weight to one foot and his hands came up to her waist to rest upon the upper curves of her hips.

A pinnacle of masculinity, his was a body she wanted to get to know better. She closed her eyes and leaned forward to place her lips on his. His hands moved around her waist and up her back, bringing her against him, her breasts crushing against his thick chest. His cock, already slightly swollen from his having watched her in the car and the expectation of sex, began to harden further, pressing against her soft stomach. His tongue brushed against her lips just before she opened them and his tongue met hers, entwining in her mouth.

He tasted like sweet tobacco and harsh alcohol just as she’d smelled on his breath when he’d taken her inhibitor off. Her hand came down from his hair and spread on his shoulder. She opened her eyes and pulled her head away, breaking the kiss. "I want you," she whispered.

His hand reached down and took the hat from her, slowly, lazily he smiled and ordered, "Take yer clothes off or I’ll cut ’em off."

She stepped back until her knees came up against the end of the bed and sat down. She stared longingly at him as she unzipped the gray jacket Charles had given her and then unbuttoned her blouse. He tossed his hat on top of his bag on the floor and then pulled on his belt buckle, releasing it and tugged open his belt. He yanked at the top button on his jeans and it popped free beginning the downward roll of his zipper. His other hand grabbed the latch and pulled it down the rest of the way. He pulled his flannel shirt loose and unbuttoned the cuffs and the first three from his neck before he reached down and grabbed a hold on both his undershirt and the shirt and, in one fluid motion, pulled them both off and dropped them on the floor. He took the few steps to the chair in the corner between the balcony door and the television, sat down and removed his boots and socks, never letting his eyes off her once. The heat in his eyes told her he’d fulfill her needs, but at what price? She didn’t care. She’d been feeling his body all day, all night, his metal skeleton an uncommon density, disturbing to her scanning sense and singling him out. After the aborted attempt in the Infirmary where she’d determined his virility, it turned him into a beacon of sexual masculinity.

Angel placed the jacket and blouse next to her on the bed. She wore a lacy cream bra that screamed Victoria’s Secret, her nipples stretched the fabric over the center drawing his eyes. She reached behind for her bra clasp. With a delicate shrug a lock of long blonde hair followed her bra as it slipped down her arms. She caught the flimsy fabric in one hand, held it out over the floor for a second watching as Logan’s eyes moved from her to it before she let it drop. His smoldering gaze returned to her full breasts, hard nubbins centered in dusky rose petals, the lock of blonde hair a waterfall of honey caressing its curve. Her hands moved to the button on her pants and unfastened it before grabbing her zipper latch and slowly pulling it down.

She paused with her hands on her zipper as she admired his figure. He stood up, barefoot and bare-chested. The dark wiry hairs on his chest forming whorls around his nipples and a dark wave that rushed up to his collarbone. A thinning trickle of the same hair cascaded down his washboard abs and into the open top of his jeans and descended behind his black underwear. His cock, hard and ready, valiantly pressed against the tight fabric, trying to push free. Angel licked her lips and sighed, he looked sooo good like that, half dressed—half undressed, all MAN. "Your pants," he growled.

She quickly stood up, jacket and blouse falling to the floor with her sudden movement, and pushed her pants down her hips, gravity pulling them down to lie next to her other clothes in a dark blue puddle. She was wearing cream thigh high stockings, their thick lacy edges stopping inches away from the junction of her legs and the satin cream thong that covered her sex. She sat back down and reached for the top of her left stocking.

"Stop," he ordered, "Leave ‘em on." He shucked his jeans and underwear in one smooth motion and stepped out of the tangle on the floor. His cock, free from restriction, jutted out from the pool of wiry curls at its base while a small clear drop oozed from the tip. His gaze traveled from her eyes down the long lock of blonde hair past her ripe breasts, down her soft belly and the small, shiny elongated triangle that guarded her vaults of heaven to her shapely legs encased in sheer fabric.

In a blur, he stepped towards her and her feet came up out of her shoes, spreading wide as with one quick forceful swipe of his hand, he brushed away the clothes piled on the floor below her. Kneeling, he grabbed her hips and brought her to the edge of the bed, forcing her legs even wider as her thighs pressed against his sides. Her hands entangled in his unruly hair once again as she leaned forward into his kiss, their tongues dueling over domains, slicking back and forth across each other. Slowly his hands slid up her sides until his thumbs brushed the underside of her breasts. They turned to cup them and his thumbs began stroking the small mounds in the center.

Closing her eyes, "Mmmm," she moaned into his mouth.

He trailed kisses down her neck to her breast and laved the nipple he found there.

Her head dropped back, her hair forming a glistening silky curtain behind her. "Yes," she breathed, "suck it."

He latched onto the nipple and began to suck on it gently while his hand kneaded the soft flesh beneath his mouth.

"Harder," she whispered.

He opened his mouth wider and devoured her nipple and areola, his teeth scraping against her velvety flesh. His other hand began to roughly knead her other breast.

"So good," she moaned.

He switched breasts, scraping and biting the nipple before sucking on it. His hand slid down her body and got caught in a thin smooth cord. He followed it towards her middle and found the satiny triangle that guarded her golden treasure. His fingers slid underneath circling in the thin flaxen strip before following it down to her moist core. His thumb brushed over her sensitive pearl and her head snapped up with a gasp, her eyes wide and dark with excitement. He looked up at her and their eyes met, he let go of her nipple with a finale bite and came up to capture her mouth. His thumb moved over her pearl again in a circular motion and she began to pant into his mouth. He drew away and used his chin to nudge her head to the side, stubble scratching roughly on her fair skin. Nose touching the sensitive flesh beneath her ear, he breathed in her scent before his tongue tasted the delicate skin above her jugular vein.

"Ohhhh," she moaned. "Logan, …"

"Yesss?" his voice was a deep sibilant hiss. His hot breath moving over her tender flesh.

She licked her lips, "Please … please …"

He let his tongue slide down her neck to her collarbone where he sucked on the thin flesh, marking her before he slid down to her breast once again. He captured the raised island in the center and bit it gently before descending to circle around her navel. He made eye contact with her before he plunged his tongue into the small depression.

"Yes!" she exclaimed. Tightening her hands in his hair, she leaned back bringing him eye level with the small mound of flesh above her sex.

He lifted up and looked at the thin satin barrier. He grabbed hold of it between thumb and fingers and growled low in his throat. Her head came up at the rumbling noise and she watched as his hand twitched upwards, the deadly metal claws slicing through the satin with a low Shreet! The claws, as suddenly as they’d appeared, disappeared into his arm leaving small bloody lines between his knuckles. He turned his fist in front of his face and gave his knuckles a long slow lick, the blood spreading across his tongue in his saliva before it disappeared back into his mouth. He closed his eyes and she knew he tasted his own blood as his tongue rolled against the roof of his mouth. A look of ecstasy came over his face and his eyes snapped open with a feral gleam.

Scared by more by the look in his eye than his actions, she backed up on the bed, the remains of her thong sliding off and laying like a slain butterfly at the edge of the coverlet. Fright made her juices flow even more and, to him, it made the air thick with her feminine scent of oranges and honey. He snarled as he followed her onto the bed, stalking her. Her back came up against the headboard and she stopped to look to either side for a route of escape. His hand wrapped around her ankle and pulled her towards him with a rough yank, she fell flat, hair fanning out on the coverlet. With the beginnings of panic, her other leg came up to fend him off and he blocked, wrapped his arm around her other foot and held it against his side. His eyes, drawn to her drenched cleft like a magnet, narrowed. His erection glistened with the pre-cum that had begun to flow from the tip. He’d become even more aroused by her flight and it stood at attention against his abdomen.

He smiled ferally and his hands glided up her stockings, pressing them into the bed, holding her in place. He lay down on the bed between her thighs and his eyes shot up and held hers as his tongue came out and tasted her essence, sweet honey and liquid oranges, the same as her smell. Delicious. His hands relaxed their grip on her legs and there was a rumble deep in his throat as he licked at her nether lips with long strokes, from opening to clit, lapping up the juices that had escaped from her velvet tunnel.

"Ooooh," she breathed, losing her fear of him as waves of pleasure from his attentions rolled over her, "Yes, like that." His ministrations caused more juice to flow and his hands came up to part her lips so he could better get at the source. Her eyes rolled back and she sighed heavily, spreading her legs further and relaxing completely as his tongue massaged her femininity while he hungrily devoured her essence. Having cleaned her thoroughly, his tongue searched out the source of the ambrosial nectar and entered her funnel.

Her hips rose instinctively as he penetrated her, trying to give him better access. She groaned and raised her head pleading, "More." His tongue continued to lap at her liquid center, his long side burns teasing the soft sensitive skin to either side. Her nectar flowing but not fast enough for his liking, he licked his lips and sighted on her swollen clitoris, the pistil at the top of her blooming rose. With a determined smile, he pressed on the soft lips to either side of the lighter pink nubbin bringing her most sensitive flesh to the fore. He gently blew on it and was rewarded with a gasp. His tongue flicked and she bucked against his hands. Putting his elbows on her thighs to help hold her down, he prepared for a wild ride as he covered her clit with his mouth and began to alternately suck and lick the delicate organ.

She came off the bed at his assault, bucking and writhing under his mouth. She felt the tightening of her clit like a spring being wound. Latching on like a baby at suck, he freed his hands and used them to wrap around her waist from underneath and hold her down as her legs tried to close against his ears.

Reaching her limit, the spring snapped, "Oh, God! Yes! Oh, oh, oh, … Aaaahhh!" she screamed as she came. Her tunnel walls alternately squeezing and relaxing causing the copious flow of her nectar to escape from the center of her flower. She relaxed and her legs fell away, allowing him to lower his head slightly and covering her entrance with his mouth, hungrily catching every drop.

She lay gasping, in an endorphin induced daze as he rose up over her. Bending down, he placed his glazed lips on hers in a soft kiss, his tongue flicking down into her open mouth and sharing the taste of her juices. She responded by raising her head and deepening the kiss, thrusting her tongue upwards to taste herself in his mouth. Careful to keep most of his weight off her by resting it on his elbows and forearms, he lowered himself, the head of his cock lying at her entrance.

Her hips rose in invitation, the crown of his cock forced into her velvet tunnel by her movement. He thrust forward a few inches and stopped, her sheath exceedingly tight making it difficult for him to go any further. She winced, she’d already known how big and long he would get, but she hadn’t taken into account her two years of abstinence where her only boyfriend had been plastic.

He waited a few seconds for her to adjust to his girth before he pulled back slightly and pushed forward again, gaining a few more inches. From the way she’d been acting, he hadn’t been expecting her to be so tight, but half his length was in her now and he wasn’t stopping until he was in to the hilt. He pulled back again and looked her in the eye as, with one final plunge, he rammed home coming up against her cervix.

Moving his weight to one arm, he used his free hand to cup her breast and squeeze it gently, his thumb brushing over the nipple in a slow move back and forth across her areola. She sighed and her legs relaxed, opening further as he settled his weight in her pelvic cradle.

He started kissing her shoulder moving towards her neck. She tilted her head and moaned as his tongue drew small circles along the sensitive nerves above her jugular. He followed her vein up her neck to her chin, his hand left her breast to cup her chin and tilt her head so he could kiss her lips. She opened up after the first delicate kiss and his tongue plunged into her mouth, dueling
with hers for dominance.

His hand returned to her breast, finding the nipple a hardened button once again. Her hand came up and landed on his, pressing to make him squeeze her breast with more force. He lifted his head, pulling away from her lips and with a low growl ducked and captured her nipple between his teeth before he sucked her areola into his mouth.

"Yes!" she gasped.

He knocked her hand away as he moved his arm to the bed and settled his weight evenly on arms and knees before withdrawing his cock to the crown in her narrow tunnel. Her juice covered him from tip to base. He slowly pushed back into her, she was still tight, oh yeah, she was tight, but now he was able to move all the way down her channel without stopping. He moved to her other breast, laving the upraised nub before engulfing it in his mouth.

He started a rhythm as his cock moved slowly in and out of her tight sheath. He moved up onto his hands rising above her. He stared down at her with a slight smile on his lips, she’d closed her eyes and found her counterpoint movement as her hips rose up to meet his, the sound of flesh hitting flesh growing louder.

With a push, he rose up onto his haunches, his cock still pistoning in and out. He grabbed her legs and moved them to his shoulders. Looking down, he watched his cock plunge in, spreading her lips apart as the thickness increased. Pulling back, her lips held him tightly not wanting to let him go. He gaze leisurely traveled up and down her body as their bodies moved in tempo.

After a while, her eyes had opened and he raised an eyebrow in silent question.

"More," she whispered.

"More what?" Arousal made his baritone sound grave.

"Everything," she requested, "Harder, faster."

He smiled, understanding she wanted a pounding. He plunged into her and then slowly leaned forward, pushing her legs back so her knees nearly touched her shoulders, resting his weight on his hands again. The angle allowed for deeper penetration and he let himself slide all the way in, touching her cervix and grinding himself against her clit, watching her face the entire time.

Her eyes rolled up just before her eyes closed. "Ohhh, yessss," she moaned.

He hauled back and slammed forward, their flesh making a loud Smack! at contact. He paused unsure if that had been within her pain threshold.

"Again," she gasped, nodding, "More. Harder."

He wasn’t using his full strength and he wouldn’t until they knew each other better, but he was going to enjoy himself and if she came again, all the better. He pulled out until only the crown was still in her and then he surged forward, plunging to the hilt and tapping her cervix before pulling back again to only force himself back down into her tight sheath.

A low growl rose in his throat as he continued this more violent rhythm, one in which she had no control, her body pushed into the bed on his every down stroke, his cock hard as steel. He watched with satisfaction as her head snapped back at his every forward plunge, her golden hair splayed across the coverlet, her mouth open in pleasure and pain as she gasped for breath.

She kept her eyes closed, concentrating on the sensation of his dick violently forcing it’s way into her. It felt so hard against her soft flesh as if it was also made of metal. His crown swelling larger as he got closer to his fulfillment, making his entry and retreat more difficult, abrading the walls of her tight tunnel. He shifted and moved forward slightly, and his next surge slid his cock against her clit. She pressed her hips down and as he pulled back his shaft slid against her sensitive pearl causing a tingle and tightening. Her senses told her he was getting close to finishing while she
was within minutes of her own orgasm. She had to stall him.

"Don’t stop," she gasped out, "I’m … gonna cum!"

She felt him bite his tongue and look up at the picture above the bed, distracting himself so he would last longer. He slowed down marginally, the crown of his cock brushing her clit as he pulled out and then drove back into her tight sheath. She reached down between their bodies and touched the hard sensitive button, it was soaked in her juices. She brushed her fingers over it and felt it tighten even more.

Logan looked down as he felt her tunnel flex around him and saw her hand move between them as she began masturbating. He slammed forward harder and faster, his control slipping slightly when her tunnel rippled along his shaft.

Extreme pleasure and slight pain as he crashed into her, the tightening of her clit reaching a critical point as her fingers rubbed it in a small circle. He was at his fullest, completely engorged, the plum shaped head a deep purple as he charged forward into her tightening tunnel to ram into her cervix. Her eyes snapped open and she drew a deep breath as she found release. She let out a low keening wail as her tunnel flexing around his cock, milking him, pushed him over the edge. He relaxed his weight, and pressed her into the mattress as his growl became a roar and he bucked repeatedly trying to force himself further into her as he erupted against the door to her womb.

For a few moments, they remained as they were, both breathing heavily from their exertions. She moved her legs down and he moved his arms out of the way, placing them to either side of her as he rested his head in the cradle between her shoulder and neck, closing his eyes, his hot and sweaty body pressing her into the mattress, holding her down, his cock softening but still long and thick within her body.

Their breathing slowly returned to normal, the endorphins from their lovemaking beginning to fade. His eyes partially opened and his head turned towards her neck. She felt him take a deep breath, smelling her before his tongue came out and licked their mingled perspiration off her neck.

His tongue retreated and swirled against the top of his mouth. He could still smell and taste the honey and oranges over her natural skin salt. Almost like a warm, liquid marmalade, but more intriguing. His tongue came out and licked her neck again and she moaned, her calves moved to wrap around his and hold him in place. He could easily fuck her again, his body was already recovered, just awaiting the order, but his senses told him something was wrong. Something about her wasn’t right. He knew what she’d been eating and drinking and none of it should have left the scent, the taste, of oranges or honey on her skin or in her fluids. He raised his head and kissed her, his tongue probing her mouth. There it was, a strong flavor of marmalade, too much to be what he had brought up from her cunt.

Her hands came up along his sides and began to slowly run up and down. She thought he wanted more sex and she was willing to give it to him, but he knew his duty. He raised his head, pulling away from her mouth and said, "We have to stop." He pulled out of her body and rose up on his knees, his cock sending loud protests to his mind about its removal from the nice warm place into the cold air. He climbed off the bed and told her, "You need to sleep," before he walked away into the bathroom to clean himself off and distance himself from her body so he could think about when she started smelling like marmalade.

She sat up on the bed, her arms behind for support as she watched his retreating back. She was still horny and his licking and kissing her had made her think he was initiating sex again. She frowned in confusion at his conflicting messages. She looked at the wall across the room, her senses traveling through the living room and into Cable’s room. His large bulk was spread out in an angle on the king sized bed. His breathing deep and steady told her he was probably asleep or soon would be. She reached out further, everyone on her floor and the floors above and below were either asleep or making love except for a young male couple in their twenties that had just
entered a room on the floor below. When one of the men grabbed the other’s ass, she knew they were most likely homosexuals and wouldn’t welcome her attention.

That thought stopped her searching. Why the hell was she looking for someone to fuck? She’d never done that before. Spy on people, yes. Watch them make love, yes. Think about joining them, hell no! Why the hell was she so horny?

The sound of flowing water reminded her that she had to use the restroom. She climbed off the bed and her stomach growled. She looked at the clock on the nightstand between the double beds, it’d been almost twelve hours since she’d last eaten or had anything to drink. At the thought of food and drink, her senses highlighted the items inside the small refrigerator across from the living room door, she had to pass it on her way to the bathroom.

Logan walked out of the bathroom just before she reached the doorway. "Go to sleep," he growled. He’d been preoccupied with her puzzle and hadn’t expected her to appear before him.

"I need to use the toilet," she told him. He grunted and continued into the hotel room. "Logan, can I get something out of the mini bar? I’m starving."

"Go ahead," his voice still gravelly.

"Thanks." While she used the restroom, she felt him put his pants on, grab a filled cigar case out of his bag and go out onto the balcony to have a smoke.

She still wanted to fuck, but food was now a priority. She grabbed an apple juice and a mini subway sandwich from the mini bar before she headed towards the nearest bed. With the glass door open, she felt a cold breeze and she shivered. Placing her prizes on the nightstand, she went to Logan’s bag and pulled out a brown leather jacket with a thick wool lining. She opened the sliding glass door and walked out to see him sitting in one of two chairs on either side of the small outdoor table, his eyes reflecting the glow of his cigar as he drew on it.

"I’m going to shut the door, okay?" she asked, holding the jacket out to him.

He took the jacket and put it on, "After you eat, go to sleep. You’ve got a long day ahead of you." He forced himself to look away from her nearly nude body, he remembered the feel of the stockings under his hands and along his body.

"I know," she replied and turned back to the door. She stopped, she had to ask, "Are we sleeping in the same bed?"

Damn, he wanted to fuck her again! Her nipples were raised beads he just wanted to bite and chew and her ass, it was so tight and round, he wanted to put his cock in it. His thinking made his cock twitch and begin to swell, but he said nonchalantly, "Not tonight. It’s obvious ya haven’t slept with anyone in a while. I doubt you’d be able t’ rest with me in the bed."

She looked him up and down, from his bare feet to his tousled hair and lingering on his crotch, allowing the yearning to show in her gaze and letting him see that she was still interested, "You’re probably right." She smiled before she entered the room and closed the door behind her.

He concentrated on willing his body to calm down. Breathing in the cold night air and concentrating on it and the smells it brought him; salt from the bay, oil and fumes from the asphalt below, a transient who was pissing between buildings a block away. His mind returned to the puzzle of her smell.

When he went back inside, he tried to concentrate on NOT smelling her. Picking out the other odors in the room as he took off his clothes and got into the bed closest to the balcony. Regarding Angel he’d only been able to come to one definite conclusion, he’d have to call Hank.


Chapter 14

Hank walked into Charles’ office with a mug of coffee in one hand and medical files clutched in the other, his larger than normal hands capable of easily holding the thick stack. Charles sat at his desk looking across the room at a large flat screen on the wall that normally appeared to be a framed seasonal painting, a finger on his lips partially hid the pensive look on his face. Hank glanced at the picture and stopped short, on the screen was a replay of the security tapes from that afternoon, specifically the cameras pointed towards The Green and pool areas. He moved closer without obstructing Charles’ view, examining the visual, as the ice sculpture of the Sentinel was destroyed. The camera view changed angle, giving a wider sideways shot, as Angel’s kinetic shield suddenly appeared.

Charles typed something into his computer and the display rewound and then resumed forward motion at an incremental level. Just as the shield began to form, Charles hit a key on the keyboard and the picture on the screen froze.

Hank stared at the picture, observing in his deep voice, "It appears to develop instantaneously."

"It doesn’t," Charles contradicted, "but the security tapes do not have the record speed necessary to determine the exact process of creation. I’ve tried views from several angles, but none of them are of any use." He entered a command into the computer and the flat screen changed to the painting of a summer pastoral. "For an impromptu demonstration of her abilities, it was sufficient, giving me a basis for her entry level tests in the Simulation Room."

"I didn’t think you would be planning her first foray already," Hank replied as he approached Charles’ desk and sat down in one of the chairs before it, placing the hand holding the mug on the armrest. He crossed a leg resting the ankle on his knee as he placed the files in his lap.

"It was a distraction from going over the latest requests and reports from the X-Corporation," Charles replied with a sigh. He dug a coaster from inside a desk drawer and placed it on the top edge of his desk.

Hank placed his mug on the coaster, "I’m surprised you’re not monitoring the situation in White Plains."

Charles shook his head, "Creating the environment utilizing Angel’s mind was taxing, more so than I realized."

"Thank you for including me in the experience," Hank said gratefully. "It gives insight to her acuity."

"You’re welcome," Charles smiled. "When I first entered her mind, it was quite overwhelming. We actually ended up discussing physics, architecture and anatomy so I could understand and conceptualize what she senses both in her immediate surroundings and at a distance. I know the environment I created wasn’t perfect, I had problems with sounds, smells and the visualization of distances, but it was quite a stretch of my abilities and I’m eager to try to again."

"I’d be happy to be your test subject," Hank suggested, "I found the whole experience to be intriguing. The detail was quite intense. I could have spent hours exploring the scope of her spatial ability."

"I’m glad you’re of the same mind," Charles leaned forward in his chair and picked up a cup that had been hidden from Hank’s view by a set of upright books in the center of the desk. After taking a swallow he continued, "When she returns from San Francisco, we’ll have to test her spatial awareness, get exact measurements and degrees of sensitivity. My foray makes me doubt that the Simulation Room will be able to provide the necessary challenges."

Hank agreed, "The Simulation Room may be able to create trials of finesse, but it would not be able to handle the full scope of her ability."

"It may take us some time to fully study her abilities. Her spatial will take the longest," Charles put the cup back down. Pointing at the files in Hank’s lap he asked, "I assume you have the results from your latest tests?"

"Yes," he replied, flipping open the top file, "And they’re creating more questions, than answers right now."

"Really?" Charles was intrigued. He leaned forward in his chair, resting his arms on the desk, hands encircling his cup.

"Logan and Warren no longer show signs of foreign chemicals in their systems, but Angel’s samples remain polluted," Hank explained, "and the amount of regenerative cells in her system has increased exponentially since my initial tests. I originally believed they might have been fighting off secondary infections resulting from the possible contamination to her system from various elements in the sewers and explosion, but her latest test results show the chemicals remain unchanged and in the same quantity as before. Now, I can’t determine the reason why these cells are increasing."

Concerned, Charles asked, "What are the latest studies regarding transferring regenerative ability from one being to another?"

"There is nothing significant in the published medical or scientific journals," Hank replied. "But there have been several interesting posts on the Internet, none of them verified," he sighed. "So far there haven’t been any confirmed studies although considering such programs as Weapon X, Department H and their ilk, I’m quite sure there are several government files to which only a select few have access. I was wondering if you would be able to contact S. H. I. E. L. D., pull a few strings and see if they have any information that might be useful."

"I’ll make a few phone calls," Charles took a sip from his cup and then put it down. "I was considering bringing S. H. I. E. L. D. in on the San Francisco mission for a cover. Possibly give them the credit if Cable’s operation is successful and have them there to help with damage control if not. I’d rather keep Cable’s team out of view and considering popular opinion is beginning to turn on armed forces now that the United States is beginning their occupation of Iraq, I’m sure Bridge would accept the positive media attention. He would also draw the ire of this terrorist organization away from the X-Corporation and the Institute."

"He’ll want to know who you have in San Francisco," Hank warned. "To coordinate with them. Make sure their actions and stories correlate."

Charles looked chagrined, "I know S. H. I. E. L. D. has been keeping tabs on all our agents, especially Cable and Wolverine. Nathan has been ‘Witch Hunting’ terrorists across the globe and Logan has been bumping into the law quite frequently on his most recent personal crusades. They’ll know they’re in San Francisco soon enough."

Hank smiled, "But they won’t have a clue about Angel."

"They’ll be able to identify her off the picture from her driver’s license, but they won’t know why she’s with them."

"She worked at Livermore Labs, but she has no military background and she isn’t even registered as an X-Corporation agent. How are you going to explain her presence?" Hank asked.

"When I was showing her records to Nathan, I upgraded her status to Agent for the X-Corporation backdated to her first day. Her scanning ability alone grants her that merit and Nathan would have no difficulty in taking someone who also has regeneration and an offensive and defensive capability with him."

"Did you give her a codename?"

"I considered several names but eliminated all but Scan or Scanner, Aura, Halo and Focus."

"Which one did you choose?"

"I was going to name her Scan, but Nathan advised that in a combat situation you don’t reveal your reconnaissance unit. He thought Aura sounded more mystical than physical and that Focus was more of an order than a name. I told him the most important factor in choosing a codename is that the recipient accepts it."

"Halo?"

"Halo."

*Charles?* Emma Frost’s voice sounded in Charles’ mind. He received a mental image of the blonde woman who had decided to give up her career as the White Queen of the Hellfire Club and moved into the Institute as a teacher and covert X-Corporation agent staring at four werewolves that had been bound and strapped to the interior of the Blackbird.

Charles held up a hand to Hank and verbally and mentally said, *"Yes, Emma?"*

Emma, sounding bored, said, *We’re on our way back and, as you can see, we have the remaining four werewolves in custody.*

*Remaining four?*

*Their leader and one other are dead. We believe we have the last of them.*

*"Thank you, Hank and I will be waiting for you in the hangar,"* Charles informed her, continuing to speak mentally and verbally for Hank’s benefit. *"It’s good to hear you were able to apprehend the remaining werewolves."*

*

A werewolf lay strapped down with metal restraints on an austere medical table in a small metal prison cell. Hank stood next to the table with a rolling metal tray by his side. He withdrew a needle from the creature’s arm, vials of its blood clutched in his oversized hand.

"How large of a dose do you want me to start with?" he called over his shoulder to Charles and Scott who stood against the wall across from the barred doorway watching Hank and the werewolf warily.

"Give him enough for his body weight," Charles ordered. "If he’s able to resist the serum, we’ll increase the dosage."

Hank nodded, lifted a syringe from the tray and, after checking that there was no air in the syringe, he injected the werewolf in the arm. Placing all his medical paraphernalia on the tray, Hank rolled the tray to the doorway. Scott held the door open for him as he exited and then closed it and tripped the mechanical and electronic locks.

"Give him a few moments," Hank advised, "and you can begin your probing."

"Is this the upgraded version?" Scott asked him.

"Yes," Hank replied, "It’s a cross of Thiopental Sodium, Sodium Amytal and Scopolamine. The Thiopental is what is commonly referred to as "truth serum", but it only makes the victim more talkative, more responsive. The Amytal and Scopolamine will allow Charles to manipulate his thoughts and actions." Hank looked at Charles, "I’d like to take the blood samples back to my lab immediately unless you’d like me to stay here."

"Is there any possibility he may have a negative reaction?" Charles asked.

Hank shook his head, "None and he will not remember any of this unless another telepath interrogates him. The dosage I gave him should last approximately six hours."

"Thank you," Charles replied. "We’ll call you if necessary." Hank nodded and, after picking up the vials of blood from the tray he left at Charles’ elbow, headed down the hall.

Scott waited, folding his arms in front of his chest and leaning back against the wall.

Charles closed his eyes and focused on the werewolf in the brig. Images began to flit past as he invaded the creatures mind. The werewolf’s name was Thomas Kent. Recent events were the first important visions Charles perceived; the fight that led to Thomas’ capture, traveling in the sewers helping to carry a crate of explosives to the new location, watching another werewolf attach the timer to the bomb beneath Lobo Tech, other Pack members in human form working inside the Lobo Tech building removing the Stark label and attaching a Lobo Tech.

Charles dug deeper, looking for more information. Thomas in human form with several others of his Pack arriving at JFK airport and being warmly welcomed by a Pack Beta Commander, eight of his pack mates in werewolf form trying to defeat a blonde giant of a man—Charles recognized him as Victor "Sabretooth" Creed—, Thomas waking up in werewolf form for the first time.

Charles dug further still, trying to identify where this man, this mutated werewolf, had originated. Several scenes of white-topped mountains, forests, remote wooden cabins and men in military garb told him The Pack was an underground organization that was mobile in the many states to the west and possibly up into Canada. They had only destroyed a cell.

Charles investigated how Thomas had become a werewolf and a Pack member. He’d done a tour of duty as a member of one of the Reconnaissance Battalions of the US Marines during Desert Storm. Sick with the politics of international war, he didn’t sign up for continuing duty when his contract was over. He’d been traveling through Montana when his Jeep broke down in a small town. He’d ended up in a bar fight that put him in the local jail. A member of The Pack who had been knocked unconscious in the fight and been netted by the police began to talk to him, getting his story and eventually inviting him back to their camp. His newfound buddies had him talk to their leader who was charismatic enough to persuade him to join them full time.

After five years in which he had vetted his military skills and loyalty, the Pack had initiated him as a full member. The process involved six months of physical and mental training, which had culminated in a group of Initiates being woken up in the middle of the night, taken miles into the wilderness and left to kill the local pack of wolves. They had to haul the dead animals back to camp as proof of their deeds. The next night, after the canines had been butchered and drained of blood, they participated in a ceremony where they ate wolf meat and drank a wolf blood concoction that knocked them unconscious. Thomas had awoken in werewolf form a few nights later during the full moon.

Charles went back and dug at the memories of Creed. Creed had arrived by helicopter at their spring camp in Colorado. The Pack Leader, known only as Alpha, had been waiting for him and once he disembarked, they had greeted each other like brothers before disappearing into Alpha’s cabin. All the werewolf soldiers had been ordered to assemble in the main clearing near the camp and change into werewolf form that evening. Creed and Alpha had watched as they went through the paces of a nighttime combat training session. Afterwards, in military formation, Thomas had watched as Creed and Alpha talked in earnest, almost arguing with each other. Finally, Alpha had conceded and chosen eight of their toughest werewolves to fight Creed. The ‘wolf soldiers had formed a large circle around the nine combatants and watched as Creed began to viciously vanquish their pack mates. Two of the champions, one paralyzed from the waist down and another whose arms were nearly ripped off, would have needed hospitalization if Creed hadn’t disemboweled them first, licking the blood off his hands with relish. Afterwards, while his wounds visibly healed in front of their eyes, Creed deride their fighting style telling them that they still fought like men instead of the werewolves they had become and walked away in disgust. Alpha had angrily ordered them to dispose of the remains before following Creed. The werewolves had eyed each other warily before descending upon the fresh meat.

The next night, Creed began instructing them in fighting techniques that took advantage of their lycanthropic form. After a week of instruction, Creed began to pick out individuals for one on one sparing practice. Thomas was one of those chosen and, after Creed soundly trounced him, began to go over how he had been so easily and effortlessly defeated, teaching him how to counter his weaknesses and work on his strengths. After three months of intensive training, Creed left the camp. Alpha continued their training for another three months before sending groups of four to eight out to complete assignments that before had been assigned to packs of eight or sixteen.

After his fifth mission, one that had required all his skill in surveillance before taking down the target, Thomas returned to camp to find that Creed had returned to choose soldiers for a long-term assignment in New York. Alpha had already begun the process of infiltrating a computer firm with one of his Beta commanders and a handful of tech trained werewolves from another camp. With his history of successful missions and background with the Marines, Creed and Alpha
picked Thomas to go to New York and work at Lobo Tech.

For nearly a year at Lobo Tech, Thomas was assigned a supervisory roll over the covert surveillance of the Xavier Institute for Gifted Youngsters. Through wireless contact, he and a dozen others took turns physically following various residents of the Institute when they had left the grounds. Sometimes the objective had been to place a small tracking device on the vehicle, but more often than not, it had been to determine a behavioral pattern of select individuals including, Warren Worthington, III, Logan, Scott Summers, Robert Drake, Kurt Wagner, Jubilation Lee, Lucas Bishop, Sam Guthrie, and the X-Corporation agents known as Sage and Forge. Psychics such as Professor Xavier, Jean Grey-Summers, Jon Starsmore and Emma Frost had been avoided for detection reasons. At the Lobo Tech building itself, he had occasionally manned the security cameras stationed at fixed points up and down the roads leading to the Institute and a few high powered telescopic cameras that were positioned to record aerial activity above and surrounding the Institute.

Two months ago, word had come down that their new mission was to increase the tensions between the human and mutant populations in the Rockland, Putnam, Orange and Westchester counties. Immediately, they began a campaign of mutilation and death on the homeless population being indiscriminate whether their targets were human or mutant so as not to r eveal their hand too quickly. Next, they planned the abduction of human children from homes and schoolyards in
various middle or lower class neighborhoods. They had chosen blonde human girls between the ages of six and twelve. At last count, they had killed six, their bodies dismembered and dumped in the ocean. Higher-class neighborhoods were targeted for burglary and vandalism leaving pro-mutant slogans.

A month ago, they had been ordered to step up their activities and become more visible. Thomas disagreed with the order, stating they could keep up the chaos for at least another three to six months before revealing their nature. He had been overruled and ordered that on the next full moon, he would lead a small pack out to kill any humans found with mutants. He was ordered to leave the mutants alone, leave witnesses.

Charles came out of Thomas’ mind giving him the order to sleep and sighed heavily as he got reoriented, he realized Scott had obtained two chairs and they were both now sitting down in front of the brig.

When Charles sighed, Scott looked up from the computer tablet he had in his hands. He smiled tiredly, "If you were going to be much longer, I was going to have someone bring down breakfast and coffee."

Charles pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger and closed his eyes. He was tired, more than he expected to be. With the information about Creed, it had taken longer than he’d anticipated. He sighed again and waved towards the werewolf lying motionless in the room before them, "They’re but a small part of the greater whole. These werewolves have been at Lobo Tech for over a year conducting surveillance on the Institute and following our agents at the behest of their Pack Alpha … and Victor Creed."

Scott was stunned for a few moments as he absorbed Charles’ revelation, then he asked with grim determination, "Why?"

Charles glanced at Scott before returning his gaze to Thomas’ limp form, "He doesn’t know. He’s just following orders."



Chapter 15

"I’d rather be catching more Z’s," Bobby griped.

"Stop complaining, Bobby, we’re all tired. You’re here because Charles knows that none of us like being kept out of the loop," Scott said.

"Hey, I’m all for the latest gossip," Jubilation commented with a yawn, "but I’ve only gotten a couple of hours sleep. What could he have to tell us now that we couldn’t hear in few more hours?"

"That you might be heading out again," Scott said with a deadly serious look.

Everyone at the table sat up as Scott looked around the room. Bobby, Kurt, Jubilation, and Ororo were team leaders and had to be included in this meeting per Charles’ orders.

Jean was there to give her own report and, having taken over the administration duties for the educational side of the Institute from Charles, was also here to find out what was happening with Doctor Green.

"Oh, shit," Kurt stated.

"It’s not that bad, is it?" Ororo asked with concern. She’d elected to stay behind at the Institute because her abilities may have been more detrimental than beneficial in the sewers. Her usual wind attacks would have picked up the debris in the tunnels and no one wanted to be splattered with sewage during a fight.

Charles walked into the conference room and sat on the opposite side of the table from Scott, creating the illusion of forming the head and foot of the circular table by their positioning. "I see we’re just waiting for Hank now," he said as he activated the controls on the electronic conference table. He began typing orders into the table computer and those waiting for the meeting watched as the center of the table created the San Francisco Bay Area, the San Pedro Bay area including the Port of Los Angeles and the San Diego Bay.

Still in his lab coat, Hank walked into the room and sat down at one of the available chairs next to Ororo. "Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore, so do our minutes hasten to their end," he said placing thick files and Doctor Green’s binder on the table.

"Each changing place with that which goes before, in sequent toil all forwards do contend," Charles finished for him.

"What is it?" Bobby asked leaning back in his chair. "I’d swear I’ve heard you say that before."

Charles and Hank exchanged amused looks and then Hank explained, "It’s a poem by Shakespeare. Essentially it means … ‘time flies’."

"Oh, yeah," Bobby grunted and rolled his eyes. "That one."

"Now that we’re all here," Charles looked across the table at Scott, "let’s hear the report on the White Plains sewers."

Scott looked down at his computer tablet, "From the information we received from Doctor Green, there were at least six remaining werewolves at large and the possibility of another cache of munitions in a room approximately one thousand feet west of the Lobo Tech site. Doctor McCoy also requested we obtain specimen samples from the sewer area near the Lobo Tech site. One team, led by myself, was formed to investigate the possible cache and capture the remaining werewolves if they were located nearby. Another team, led by agent Phoenix, was formed as a backup to the first and to obtain the samples requested by Doctor McCoy.

"My team traveled to the location in the White Plains sewers that Doctor Green had specified on the map we provided," Scott began his report. "The doorway into the room was concealed and while trying to locate the entrance we came across werewolf tracks. We followed these tracks to another set of rooms beneath a storage facility. We cornered the ‘wolves in their den and combat ensued. When it was apparent that they would be apprehended, the leader assassinated one of his own pack before he ordered another to execute him. A laptop was seized and agent Forge has already unencrypted the files. Preliminary inspection assures us that the files will disclose more information on The Pack, as their organization is known, as well as data on their activities in New York over the past year. Agent Sage and Juggernaut are going over the files now and have already identified two arms dealers that Juggernaut knows traffic in illegal munitions.

"Agent White Queen, Emma Frost, psychically probed one of the werewolves for information on the cache of munitions and we easily located the hidden entrance and disabled the alarms and security measures. We excavated the contents and transferred them to storage facility five under the Institute grounds. The munitions will be disseminated to the appropriate agencies once the items have been identified and cataloged." At the end of his speech, Scott sat down and looked to Charles.

"How did you persuade Cain to cooperate?" Charles asked Scott.

"He wanted to come on the mission," Scott replied. "I don’t know why. Possibly boredom. Since he’s been remanded to your custody he hasn’t left the Institute."

"He’s tired of babysitting the kids," Bobby cut in. When everyone looked at him he continued, "That’s all he’s been allowed to do since he arrived. Annie’s been so busy in the Infirmary, her son’s been glued to him."

"That is true," Charles murmured, "They both miss Sammy. I regret it was Cain’s presence that forced Alpha Flight to return him to his parents in Canada, I’ve sensed his increased frustration since the incident."

"Allow him the use of the Simulation Room," Ororo postulated. "Let him blow off some steam. He gave Sammy his helmet so the Juggernaut suit is compromised, it is just glorified armor now."

"I’ll consider it," Charles replied.

"I almost objected to Cain joining the team on this mission," Scott explained, getting back to Charles’ original question, "but he already proved himself cooperative on his previous trip to White Plains so I informed him of the situation and he said he might know who sold the werewolves the explosives if he saw some of the containers."

"Did he?" Ororo asked.

"He wasn’t sure until he saw the files on the laptop and then he was able to give us the name of the dealers and their motis operandi."

"Can we bring them to justice?" Kurt asked.

"We’ll have the lawyers look at the evidence and see if they can build a case in International Law," Charles replied. "This … Pack is also International, they have bases throughout the America’s."

"They’re that large?" Kurt exclaimed in astonishment.

"From what I was able to glean from the four we have in custody, they have numerous small scattered bases in Canada, the United States, Mexico and several Central and South American countries, but not all of their members are werewolves."

"Damn!" Bobby exclaimed. "Why haven’t we heard about them before?"

"The werewolves are part of their soldier force. They’re a mercenary group that keeps a low profile. We may have already encountered members of the Pack, but assumed they were part of other organizations," Charles explained. After letting the information sink in, he dropped his bomb, "It was their Pack Alpha and Victor Creed who chose the members assigned to Lobo Tech."

"Creed?" Jubilation shuddered.

"Sabretooth?" Kurt asked, stunned.

"Oh, that’s gonna make Logan happy to know Creed’s still around," Bobby joked.

"I don’t know if he’s still ‘around’," Charles said. "It’s been almost a year since the Lobo Tech werewolves have seen him. According to the four we have in custody, they began infiltrating the Lobo Tech facility two years ago. One year ago, their werewolf soldiers showed up and began setting up surveillance on the Institute."

"Why haven’t we detected them?" Jean asked perplexed. "I would have noticed someone—"

"They specifically avoided following any of the psychics for that reason," Charles interrupted. "They were following our team leaders including Warren and some of our other more investigative agents; Forge, Bishop and Sage."

"Why?" Kurt asked.

"All four of them have theories as to why, but mostly they were following orders handed down to them by their commander, called a Beta," Charles answered. "I’ve assigned the White Queen to get any remaining useful information from them before we turn them over to the local authorities." He turned to Hank, "I know you haven’t completed all of your tests, but what information do you have on their physical make up?"

Hank flipped open a file folder that had a yellow legal tablet loose inside of it, "I’ve determined that they are not true Lycanthropes. Blood, saliva or scratches by their claws will not transfer the ability to change into a werewolf. They’re humans who have been mutated to mimic werewolves. They have the ability to change into a caninoid form complete with the hirsute appearance, elongated snout, reversed lower leg structure and claws. I have not determined through direct questioning or indirect mental probing whether they can completely turn into a wolf or similar canine." He pulled a pen from his lab coat and looked over at Charles, "In their werewolf form, does their eyesight and hearing follow human or canine norms?"

Charles thought for a moment and then said, "Their eyesight is a mixture of the two. The only thing I could compare it to would be Logan and Victor Creed’s eyesight. The same with their hearing."

Hank nodded and wrote some notes on his tablet, "That would be consistent with some of my initial test results. All four werewolves have DNA similar to Creed’s. Another hint at a possible connection to Sinister."

"Sinister?" Scott asked with trepidation. "He’s involved?"

Jean looked at her husband with pain in her eyes, would they ever be rid of Sinister and his experiments?

"Possibly," Hank affirmed, "The chemical cocktail in their blood is quite intriguing and complex. I haven’t finished all of my tests, but it reminds me of Sinister’s work. Considering that Victor Creed, one of his Marauders, is involved, I would not rule out the possibility that he created the mutagen. But," Hank looked around the room, "I don’t know when he created it. Considering we have no concrete evidence of Creed’s age and we know Sinister has been active for more than a century, the Pack, or it’s founders, could be of very old stock."

"Confirmation of Creed’s involvement in the Lobo Tech affair is proven," Charles stated looking at Scott and Jean’s worried faces. "Until we receive further information, Sinister’s active participation is not." He watched as his agents all breathed a sigh of relief, but there was still worry on their faces. Sinister was devious and his machinations convoluted and far reaching. He also had time. There was no knowing if he was involved until he showed his physical presence and acknowledged their findings.

Charles changed the subject, "Were you able to correlate any of the werewolf tests with those you conducted on agent Halo?"

Everyone except Hank and Charles looked around in confusion. They had no idea who agent Halo was until Hank spoke again.

Hank took in a large breath and then let it out. "Yes," he confirmed, "Doctor Angelique Green, recently designated agent Halo, has been infected with the werewolf mutagen."

"Oh, no!" Jean cried and she reached out to her husband who grasped her hand in his, his face was a study of concern and dismay. They had been the ones responsible for Doctor Green’s approval for the Institute and through phone conversations in which they had answered most of her questions regarding the Institute, instrumental in Doctor Green’s decision to take their employment offer.

"What’s going to happen to her?" Kurt asked.

"What kinda codename is that?" Jubilation was perplexed.

"Halo?" Bobby asked with a raised eyebrow. "Other than a heavenly body, I don’t see—Oh, don’t tell me it has something to do with her name!"

"How?" Ororo inquired, "You just said it doesn’t transfer like Lycanthropy."

"Charles chose her name," Hank replied to the easier question first, "you can ask him about it. The samples that I requested from the White Plains sewers did indeed contain DNA from several werewolves, several humans, agents Wolverine, Archangel and Halo. I believe the samples from humans may have been from the sewage or the rescue teams—"

"I saw one of the cops throw up when she saw Warren and Angel," Kurt commented.

Hank nodded in acknowledgement of his comment before he continued, "The werewolf DNA was also in the sewage. Since there was no bathroom in the rooms below Lobo Tech, I’m led to believe they used the sewers."

"Ewww, gross!" Jubilation exclaimed. "Glad I was part of the other team!"

"You did have a shower when we got back, right?" Bobby asked mischievously, watching Jubilation’s face. "Because I didn’t see a bathroom anywhere near the other werewolf den either."

Jubilation’s eyes narrowed, but before she could shoot back a retort, Hank stopped their verbal sparring by continuing his report, "The explosion dried and incinerated most of the sewage in the immediate area and the force of the blast would have picked up anything lightweight including this dust and would have blown it ahead of any other heavier debris. Considering her location and the open wounds Halo sustained at the time of the explosion, it is reasonable to confer that it was in this fashion that she became exposed.

"I would also postulate that the influx of regenerative blood she received from Archangel reacted as if the mutagenic contaminants in her body were normal and forced her system to accept them and incorporate these new aspects into her DNA. It would explain the continuous error readings I was receiving in her earliest tests. Unfortunately, she is no longer at the Institute so I cannot monitor for any reactions, positive or negative, that she may be experiencing. As soon as Wolverine or Cable contact us, I will notify all three of them of my findings and ask them to observe her for symptoms or reactions."

"How did the werewolves change form?" Ororo asked.

"The ones we have are currently sedated and they’re still in their werewolf form," Charles replied. "They’ve had their forms long enough that all they have to do is will their change from one form to the other. Only the oldest werewolves have the ability to change into a canine form. It seems to be a matter of control and how long they’ve been infected with the mutagen."

Hank made notes on his tablet and asked, "What about when they first changed forms?"

Charles shook his head, "They don’t know. They go through an initiation ceremony and consume drugged drink and food. They wake up several days later in their werewolf forms."

Hank looked up at him, "So we have no idea what will cause Angel—Halo to change into a werewolf."

"Correct."

"So, she could fuzz out on them at any time?" Bobby asked. "They better know that before they take her out in public." He looked at his watch, "They’re three hours behind us so it’s six forty-five in the morning there. Whoever calls them better do it soon. Cable was in a hurry and I wouldn’t put it past him to get them going by seven."

Everyone looked towards Charles and he said, "Cable was to call me before they left their hotel room, but you are correct, he may decide to call when he feels it’s appropriate." He leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes trying to reach and make contact with the other telepath.

Mentally reaching for the familiar mind, Charles asked, *Nathan?*

*What the hell?* Nathan "Cable" Summers replied, *What’s so urgent you couldn’t wait until I called you?*

*You should know that Doctor Green has been infected with the mutagen that created the werewolves from Lobo Tech,* Charles was slightly chagrined to realize Nathan was in the shower. *I wanted to make sure you didn’t leave the hotel before you knew about it.*

*You think she could spontaneously turn into a werewolf?* Nathan allowed the warm spray to wash down his chest as he contemplated this new twist. *Damn!*

*It’s a possibility,* Charles said hesitantly. *Have Logan set up the video feed to the conference room and we’ll tie in a link to Warren’s office. Hank and I will need to talk to Angel also. What time should we expect your call?*

*Nine our time,* Nathan answered in disgust. *Logan’s taking your orders seriously about babying her.*

*She’s been pushed into becoming an X-man, Nathan,* Charles responded sternly, *She isn’t prepared for this and still considered on the injured list. Treat her gently. I haven’t had time to help her work things through so I’ve ordered Logan to watch over her.*

*More than watching,* Nathan thought with a touch of jealousy as an image of Angel following Logan into their bedroom crossed his mind.

Nathan wasn’t guarding his private thoughts from Charles so he picked up on what Nathan was thinking, *Logan and Angel were developing a relationship before they left. It will make it easier for him to control her if she’s trying to please him.*

*Manipulation? Good strategy as long as she likes him, but he’s not going to be around all the time,* Nathan replied.

*Their relationship only needs to last as long as this mission. Which reminds me, I contacted Bridge at S. H. I. E. L. D. on another matter and they want our help in investigating terrorist activities on the west coast. Are any of your informants S. H. I. E. L. D. agents?*

Nathan frowned as he thought about his contacts, *Not that I know of, but I wouldn’t put it past any of them to be dealing Intel to multiple parties.*

*If this mission was successful, I was thinking of having S. H. I. E. L. D. reap the rewards of accepting the accolades from the media and keep the X-Corporation out of the spotlight.*

*We’d avoid retaliation,* Nathan answered understanding Charles’ reasoning.

*How much are you willing to work with S. H. I. E. L. D.?* Charles inquired tentatively.

Nathan began trying to weigh the pros and cons. *Let me think about it,* he said finally.

*I’ll have to send some of our other agents if you want to continue to work on your own, but I don’t want to double the work if they’re after the same people. I’ll need to give Bridge a reply soon and send a team out immediately after. Can you give me your answer during the conference call?*

Absently, Nathan nodded and replied, *Yeah, that should give me enough time to think about it and talk it over with Logan.*

*I’ll wait for your call,* Charles said and terminated their mental connection.





Chapter 16

Movement woke Angel from a deep sleep. Pigeons preening, claiming territory and flying about looking for the first crumbs of the day. Cars, trucks and buses moving through the streets below, picking up and delivering their cargos. People waking up and going through their morning rituals as the hotel staff delivered breakfasts and prepared for the day ahead. Dawn, there was no escaping it.

Still groggy from lack of sleep, Angel laid in bed focusing on her surroundings as she slowly woke up. By his breathing and heart rate, Logan was still sleeping. For once his dynamic form was completely relaxed. Well, not completely, there was one muscle that refused to be quiescent, and a slow smile spread across her face as she opened her eyes.

Her attention was drawn to Cable as he moved abruptly, rising up and touching the clock radio on his nightstand, turning off an alarm she couldn’t hear. He sat up in bed and rubbed the sleep from his eyes with his real hand like a little boy. He yawned, stretched his arms and looked around his bedroom before looking, as if he too could see through the walls, towards the room she shared with Logan. She could practically see the wheels turning as he thought of the day ahead. He flipped the covers open and got out, heading for the bathroom.

Cable’s bodily functions reminded her of her own need to relieve herself, remembering Logan’s sensitive hearing, she got out of bed as quietly as possible and tiptoed to the bathroom.

Logan had slept fitfully in the hotel’s foreign surroundings, but he came fully awake at the sound of scratchy linen sheets rustling and bedsprings creaking. His eyes opened in thin slits when he heard bare feet softly padding across the flat carpet. As his eyes easily adjusted to the small amount of light let into the room by the thick multi-layered curtains over the sliding glass doors, he turned his head to look at the clock on the nightstand. Because of the late hour of their arrival, the sex and jet lag, he hadn’t expected Angel to wake up until the alarm went off in an hour at seven-thirty. He stretched and took a deep breath.

The smell of marmalade jam pervaded the air, it hadn’t dissipated in the night, it had grown stronger in the closed room. He took a deep breath and a vision of Angel in the throws of passion beneath him filled his mind. His cock, already thick and heavy from smelling her all night, was hard in seconds. The animal in the back of his mind stirred. He figured out the answer to his puzzle right then, the marmalade smell was pheromones. Had to be pheromones.

His animal wouldn’t have reacted otherwise. He’d shoved it down deep within himself, caging his feral side for so long, it was a nearly unfamiliar animal. Normally, he could let it out during sessions in the Danger Simulation Room at the Institute, but instead he’d been kept running from mission to mission by Xavier.

The last had been some castle in the British Isles where they’d found Juggernaut and Black Tom. Usually, he could let loose against Juggernaut, but this time the call for help had been his. Juggernaut had called on the X-men to stop his buddy, Black Tom. They’d been shocked the emergency call had been made by Xavier’s half brother against his friend, but Black Tom had finally lost control and he nearly killed half the team. Thank the Powers That Be the Ice Cube had been with them. Bobby Drake a.k.a. Iceman a.k.a. Ice Cube had been able to follow the water in Tom’s roots. They’d eventually dealt with that crisis. That’s when Archangel had manifested his new healing ability and his skin had changed from the blue Apocalypse had forced on him back to his normal Caucasian skin tone. They’d brought Juggernaut, Cain Marko, back to the Institute for … a family reunion of sorts. Xavier and his brother had never really gotten along, but Xavier hadn’t kicked him out and now he was babysitting the nurse’s kid. It said something about the state of affairs if Annie was okay with a known criminal watching her kid.

It had been one crisis after another to solve, his own or others, having to keep his feral side in check the entire time. He knew it was beginning to wear on him, but he couldn’t let it free. Especially when he was angry. It’s instinct to hunt and kill would overwhelm him and then he’d be no better than what the Friends of Humanity called him, A Cold Blooded Murderer.

Angel moved around in the bathroom, drawing his attention back to her. He figured out why he hadn’t realized she was putting the pheromones out earlier. People didn’t smell like oranges unless they’d ingested the substance and although he remembered the faint smell in the Infirmary the day before, he had assumed it was from Annie eating her meals there to be near her patient. He hadn’t smelled it when he’d taken Angel out of the Infirmary because by then he’d tuned out the smell from being in the room for an hour. It had been there all along, he just hadn’t been paying attention. He’d had other, more important issues occupying his mind. By the time he would have realized it on the patio near the pool, Cable had called. And then on the plane, just to be safe, they’d placed her in the back so that she wouldn’t wake up from their discussing the mission. The filters had probably scrubbed most of her smell from the cabin before it could reach them.

Now the smell was strong, very strong. She’d probably hit the fertile time of her monthly cycle. That always enhanced the women’s smell, making them more enticing. And when enough women at the Institute started to align cycles he headed for The City and found himself some company. He smiled to himself, at least on this mission he was the one who got into bed with a woman when the day was through. It was about damn time! He wondered if Cable had noticed the smell. He’d have to ask him about it before he called Hank.

Angel walked out of the bathroom and in the dim light he could see she was nude, her hair, mussed from sleep, hung in long locks scattered down her front and back, her breasts parting the golden streamers. She walked over to him and lifting his bedcovers, she slipped in and moved towards him. Understanding her intent, he raised his arm so she could cuddle, pressing her cool softness against his solid warmth. Her head rested on his right shoulder, she’d flung a leg over his and her arm rested on his chest, her palm over his heart.

His animal raised its head in interest, the female had gotten into its nest. Logan mentally slammed the door between his animal and civilized self. He turned his head towards Angel and smiled, "I expected ya t’ sleep ‘til the alarm went off."

His deep gravelly voice sounded more like a creature of the earth than a man to the ear she had pressed against his chest.

"Can’t sleep after dawn," she replied softly, "everything starts to wake up and move around."

"There aren’t that many animals here."

She lifted her head and looked into his brown eyes, the pupils were enlarged in the dim light, "City or country, movement always picks up at daylight."

"Ya ever been anywhere it didn’t?"

She laid her head back down on his chest, "No, but my parents tried to find them. There were only two places that came close."

"Desert," he said quickly.

"That’s one."

He thought for a moment, "Polar caps?"

"I don’t know, we never tried there," she laughed softly, "too expensive I guess."

"Somewhere local then?"

"Yes. I don’t think I’d want to go to the North Pole, too cold."

"Southerners," he scoffed.

She frowned, "California isn’t Southern."

"I’m from Canada. You’re Southern t’ me."

"You don’t sound like you’re from Canada."

"I know," he sighed, "been in the States too long."

"How long?"

"Long ‘nough ta lose my accent," he replied. "I’ve been meanin’ ta head north fer some time, but there’s always somethin’ needin’ my attention." She felt him tense up.

"X-Corp?"

He didn’t reply for a moment. Then, "Sometimes."

"Your security firm?"

She felt his eyes narrow and he grunted, "Officially, I’m the President of GuloGulo Security, but the X-Corporation usually decides if and when my services are needed."

"Usually, but not always," she said in understanding. "Why is it called GuloGulo?"

"It’s the species name for Wolverine," he paused and then said, "Ocean."

"Huh?"

"The other place that’s quiet. It’s the ocean."

She yawned before answering, "Yeah, deep sea or the Monterey Trench down south. Just as long as I’m far enough away from shore, about three miles or so out. But there’s always something moving, something alive. No matter where you go."

They both lay quiet for a few minutes and her even breathing and relaxed body led him to believe she was returning to sleep. He thought about how the X-Corporation, actually Xavier, had been keeping him on a leash. He hadn’t been able to go up north to his private cabin since early fall last year and then it’d been for only a few days before the X-jet had arrived to pick him up to help with another X-Corporation crisis. His animal growled behind its mental door.

She lay quietly against his warm strength and remembered times with her parents on weekends and vacations when they’d tried and sometimes succeeded in finding quiet places where she could relax. Trips on privately chartered boats taking them out to sea where she’d feel the whales undulating beneath the waves as they migrated north or the occasional shark. Trips to the various deserts and scrubland in California and Nevada where they’d drive off the path in their rented jeep and literally lose themselves and camp for a few days in the middle of nowhere, relying on her senses to find a road back to civilization.

During their respective quiet introspections, his muscles had begun subtly bunching and clenching, especially around his mouth. He hadn’t relaxed once since she’d mentioned the X-Corporation and when he started gritting his teeth, she decided it was time to do something about it.

She rose up onto her elbow and touched the side of his face, "You’re thinking too much." She leaned down and tilted her head a fraction before their lips touched.

His animal howled and pressed against his mental barrier.

Her eyes reopened as she pulled away slightly and gazed into his eyes, her senses telling her that his body was beginning to respond to her overture. Her senses also told her that in his current state he probably wouldn’t last long, but the memory of the previous night’s exploration of his body reminded her that it wouldn’t matter, the man was the human equivalent of the energizer bunny.

He reached up with his free arm and entangled his hand in the hair at the back of her head as he pulled her back in for another kiss. His tongue penetrated her lips and honeyed oranges graced his taste buds, the delicious flavor causing a chain reaction in his body. The animal within him reacted suddenly, crashing through his mental barrier and running forward, responding to the thick scent of pheromones and recognizing the taste of a fertile female.

His kiss became more demanding as he rolled over her, his weight pushing her down into the mattress. A voice in his mind yelled at him to slow down, keep his head, reinforce the barriers between man and animal, but the animal knew that the female with him was in heat. It was time to mate.

She pulled away from his bruising kiss and gasped to get air back into her lungs. The hard length of his cock pressing against her hip telling her that he was ready, willing and able.

He looked up and around the room trying to get a hold of himself, the voice telling him to slow down, calm down. He took in a ragged breath and smelled the remains of her sandwich and juice, the overwhelming pheromones proclaiming her fertility and sex from the previous night. The animal slammed to the fore and looked around to make sure there was no competition to fight off, the distant sound of running water telling it that the nearest competition was otherwise occupied.

Her breathing returning to normal, she watched his eyes dart about the room. She reached up and touched the side of his face, her hand brushing his whiskers. When he looked down at her she smiled and opened her legs.

There was no competition and the female was receptive to his advances. The man was drowned out as the animal took over. The female was in the wrong position for mating so he rose up on his knees and flipped her over. Her squeal didn’t deter him as he grasped her waist and pulled her towards him and into the proper mounting position. Quickly, he mounted her before she could change her mind and fight back or run away. The feel of his cock in her moist tunnel was wonderful.

She was grunting and squealing at him, trying to pull away. He frowned and leaned forward to bite her neck and hold her in place. She squealed even more when she felt his teeth, but then she quieted and submitted. He continued, feeling the building of his release. He moved vigorously, causing the female to grunt with each impact as he approached climax and his eyesight went white as he forced himself as far into his new mate as possible to plant his seed. When he was finished, the lethargy overcame him and he released her as his body went slack. His new mate scurried away and he began to rise to follow, but when she stopped not too far away he relaxed and lay back down in their nest.

Angel stood in the bathroom with her back to the mirror, her hair pulled to the side as she tried to examine Logan’s bite mark. His enhanced incisors had created two small lacerations in the skin that had begun to well up blood. Before her eyes, they healed, the only evidence remaining were the small drops of blood on her skin. She reached down and felt along her waist where he’d held her tightly and the soreness she was sure would become large bruises began to fade. The pain his large member had inflicted on her innards was also disappearing.

What the hell had gotten into the man? she thought, feeling her neck and wiping away the blood. He’d shown a little wildness last night, but … Jesus! He’d flipped her over onto her stomach like she weighed ten pounds. And then he’d grabbed her and pulled her into the dog position without even asking her. It was a good thing she’d been in the mood. It would’ve hurt like hell when he entered her if she hadn’t been getting a little wet down there already. And then he’d just started pounding into her! No kissing, no fondling, no nothing! Just fucking. She’d told him to stop, that she didn’t like the position. She’d called his name, yelled at him and he’d bent over and bit her! She had to admit, that sort of turned her on, but he’d still ignored her and just kept on fucking. She’d gotten a little scared, but by then she’d known he’d cum soon. At least he didn’t release those metal claws of his. Energizer Bunny. Ha! More like the rabid Killer Rabbit from Monty Python’s Holy Grail. She wet a washcloth and cleaned herself up and then went back into the bedroom.

Logan lay on his side in a post coital stupor and she grabbed a pillow from her bed and threw it at him. "What the hell was that?" she demanded.

The animal noted that the female had returned and given him more nesting materials. As she squealed at him he considered whether she wanted to mate again. A small voice told him the female was upset. He frowned at her in consternation trying to figure out what she wanted.

"Well?" she asked as she walked between the beds, hands on her hips.

The voice became more assertive, telling him the female wanted him to verbally respond. The animal was confused, it had done everything it was supposed to do. Hunt, eat, sleep, and mate, the basics of life. It understood those concepts, but conversation was beyond its comprehension. It retreated and let the voice assert itself. Let the man assert himself. The man knew how to respond. The man could calm his new mate, make her receptive again.

"Uh," Logan said, stalling for time as the animal retreated and the man took over, "you taste like marmalade."

She gave him a quizzical look, "What? Marmalade? What does that have to do with—?"

"You smell and taste like oranges and honey or marmalade," he continued, gaining more time to figure out how to explain what had happened.

"What do you mean … marmalade?" she asked, her voice trailing away in confusion. "I haven’t had any oranges since," she thought for a moment, "the day before I arrived at the Institute. Marmalade? You know what I’ve eaten since I woke up. Crackers, chicken soup, hot dogs, salad, Snapple—which was red so it didn’t have much if any orange juice in it, the sandwich and apple juice I had last night. Nothing orange flavored." She was perplexed.

"I noticed it last night." He gestured to the room at large, "This place reeks of it. You’re putting out pheromones and I … I reacted to them."

She looked at him as if he were crazy, "You’ve got to be kidding!" She stepped back and looked away incredulous and latching on to the word ‘reek’, "You fuck me like an animal and now you’re telling me I smell!"

Wrong choice of words he thought, way to go Logan! "No, I didn’t mean that! You don’t smell … bad—just the opposite. You smell good—too good. You smell like pheromones." He sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed, "Good smelling pheromones. Marmalade smelling pheromones."

Cautiously she cocked an eyebrow and looked at him from the corner of her eyes, "Good smelling? Like marmalade?"

"Yeah, I had a hard on all night from smelling you." He remembered her scanning ability, "you could probably tell. I didn’t think the pheromones would affect me so strongly, but once we kissed … I tasted them and I … just … reacted. It’s a long story, but they call me Wolverine for a reason," He put a hand to the side of his face in remorse as he remembered how his feral side had ignored her cries, "I’m sorry. I realized something was wrong last night, but … I don’t know … I wasn’t sure. Shit. I should’ve called Hank." He looked up at her, trying to gauge her reaction to his explanation. "I’m sorry if I hurt you."

"Well, yeah, you were …," she’d noticed almost immediately his sexual state of readiness when she’d woken up. She paused. "Pheromones? Are you sure?"

He dropped his hand to his lap, drawing her attention to his swelling member. "Oh, yes," he said vehemently, "pretty strong ones, too, the smell’s already making me want you again."

"Oh, wow," she said softly, trying to assimilate this new information, that somehow she had made a man like Logan totally lose control. "Maybe … we should call Hank."

"Yeah," he started to get up, but she put a hand on his shoulder.

"So, it was the pheromones?" Her eyes had drifted down to his thick member.

He nodded.

"That’s what made you go all Discovery Channel on me?"

He frowned, not understanding the reference.

"Animalistic?"

Comprehension, "Yeah."

"You back to normal?"

He nodded again, "I’ve got it under control now."

"You sure?"

"Yes," he looked her in the eyes, "I’m not going to attack you."

"Wolverine?"

"Yes."

"You said they call you Wolverine for a reason."

"Ahhh," he said understanding she wanted an explanation. Now. He looked down at his hands, "It was a nickname given to me a long time ago. My abilities, claws, enhanced smell and low light vision are considered Feral mutations. Animalistic mutations. Where Xavier’s telepathic ability is considered an evolution of Homo Sapiens, Feral mutants are considered a de-evolution. Sometimes Ferals act more like animals than humans." He looked up at her to see if she understood.

She looked confused, "Is Hank a Feral?"

He nodded, "He’s … complicated, but, yeah, he’s considered a Feral."

"Is Warren?"

"I think his wings make him a Feral."

"Are there any Feral women?"

He nodded again, "Yes."

"Do they make pheromones?"

He was about to say ‘No’ when he stopped and considered, "Everyone makes pheromones, but most people can’t smell ‘em." She was making him think about scientific aspects while they were both naked. It just didn’t seem right. He shook his head, "Look, Hank can explain all the technical details."

"I just want to make sure … I mean … I know Biology—normal Biology. I’ve got a Master’s Degree … but not in Mutant Biology," she sighed and sat down on the bed next to him. "I’m just trying to understand and figure things out."

He didn’t know what to say.

She smiled and cocked an eyebrow, "You know, I’ve got to hand it to Warren for giving me this healing ability. I feel perfectly fine now. So I guess there’s no harm done."

He sighed in relief, "I’m glad to hear that."

"It was sort of my fault, since I’m the one creating? … making?—whatever—these pheromones."

"It’s not your fault," a thought struck him, "unless this has happened to you before?"

She shook her head vehemently, "Never."

"Then it isn’t your fault. It must have somethin’ to do with what happened in White Plains. That’s the only explanation for it."

"Has Warren ever put out pheromones?" at his frown she said quickly, "Male pheromones that attract women?"

He shook his head, "Not that I’ve ever noticed. He’s always had a way with women, but I don’t think it has anythin’ to do with chemicals. An’ he gets tons o’ fan mail all the time, but I think that has more to do with his image than his personality."

She smiled, "Rich, good looking and single is fairly rare, but add in the Archangel bit and," she shrugged, "every girl has a fantasy."

He snorted.

"Oh, don’t tell me you’ve never fantasized about someone you’d never be able to have!"

He froze. Jean Grey-Summers. "I’m a realist," he said quietly, "I don’t waste time fantasizin’."

"Yeah, right!" she replied sarcastically. She’d felt him freeze and one of the things she’d learned early in life with her scanning ability was to ready body signals.

His face became a blank mask and he stood up and walked over to the chair in the corner of the room where he’d left his clothes the previous night. "You want me to talk to Hank first?" he asked woodenly, pulling a small cell phone from his pants pocket.

She realized she must have made some sort of faux pas when he became impersonal, "I’m sorry. I didn’t realize—," she got up and walked over to him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Sometimes it’s hard for me to not know things. Reading bodies is like a second language to me, but I still don’t know what’s going on inside someone’s mind."

He stared at her for a moment and then smiled, "Ya know, for years I’ve been dealin’ with people who could get into your mind. Never had to explain nothin’. They’d know you were mad, sad or glad. Most of ‘em have had their abilities for years and they’re pretty arrogant about it. You’re like ‘em in a lot o’ ways, but most o’ them don’t apologize unless ya push the point or they really fuck up."

She smiled, "I don’t want us to get off on the wrong foot."

"Neither do I, Darlin’." He held up the phone, "Who talks first?"

She held her hand out for the phone. When he handed it to her, her gaze drifted from his face to his chest and followed the furred trail down to his semi-erect penis before it returned to his face. She sighed, "Do I really smell like marmalade?"

He’d followed her eyes as she’d looked at him and he felt his cock twitch, "Yes."

"Do you like marmalade?" she was curious and she hadn’t asked him that earlier.

His smile widened into a grin, "Yes, I do."

She tossed the phone onto the pile of clothes on the chair and took a step toward him, wrapping her arms around his shoulders, "Let’s start over."

His lips met hers half way and immediately their kiss deepened.

Logan’s animal gave out a victorious howl in the back of his mind, but it was behind a reinforced wall now. It’d had its time out, now he had it back in its cage. It wouldn’t get out again any time soon.

They still had a half hour before the alarm would go off. He’d show her that he really was in control. That she didn’t have anything to worry about.





Chapter 17

Pack Leader Alpha walked across the grounds of the Montana Pack Training Facility. He looked like a senior military officer in his starched green camouflage clothes and shiny black combat boots. It was the gray hair in a long thick queue down to his waist that revealed he wasn’t part of any sanctioned United States government military. Most people who first met Alpha took his thick muscular form for that of a body builder’s or a World Wrestling Entertainment performer. Combined with his charismatic presence, the rumors he’d been a wrestler early in the history of the WWE seemed justified, but none of his men had ever been able to verify it.

Normally, Alpha inspired smiles and respectful salutes from his Pack members, but today he was walking next to Victor Creed, a man whose propensity for homicidal violence terrified most of his men, and he saw their fearful gazes as they furtively observed their progress from his private cabin to HQ. Creed was dressed in assassin chic; black leather boots, black cargo pants tailored for his long muscular legs, and a black cotton tee shirt molded to his thick chest and shoulders. A large expensive watch gleamed from his left wrist, it’s silvery metal a match to the tapered adamantium claws that jutted from the nail beds of his hands. His thick golden mane was cut short and in the past two months it’d begun to form waves as it grew out. His square face sported a full, dark gold goatee that framed a Cheshire grin of sharp, gleaming white teeth when he smiled. A smile that never reached his piercing amber eyes as they constantly moved, scanning his environment and identifying targets.

Entering the spartan Headquarters, Alpha headed for the communication center that took up half the building with Creed at his heels. "Has the Lobo Tech force checked in?" he asked the Specialist on duty.

"No, Sir," a short dark haired man with the name Tarbull on his green military fatigues replied. "They missed their 0700 deadline." Tarbull checked a whiteboard across the room, "Last communication was at 1800."

"What’s their status?"

"They’re holed up in one of their secondary storage facilities and are awaiting further orders."

Creed snorted and Alpha ignored him as he commanded, "Notify me immediately when they call in."

"Yes, Sir. There was some interesting information on the San Francisco morning news. I added the pertinent coverage to the disk on your desk."

Alpha nodded and Tarbull replied with a quick salute, his eyes never leaving Alpha’s face. Creed had already sent two of Alpha’s core staff to the medic for minor wounds and they had learned it was better to completely disregard his presence than to inadvertently offend him in any way. They knew it had been more due to Alpha’s physical presence than their importance to the facility that had restrained Creed’s violence.

Alpha turned and headed for his office on the other side of the building with Creed at his heels.

"The X-men--," Creed began.

Alpha held up a hand, cutting him off until they were both securely in his office and the door shut. "The X-men?" he asked as he took the leather armchair behind the huge metal desk that sat in the center of the room.

Creed grabbed one of the straight-backed wooden chairs that sat before the desk and turned it around before straddling it and resting his arms on the top of the backrest. "The X-men have your Lobo Tech people," Creed growled. "One of their planes left the Institute at 2115 and returned at 2430. According to my sources, it never left Westchester county."

Alpha picked up a CD that lie in the center of his desk and read the information scribbled on its face before tilting back in his chair, "When did you learn this?"

"An hour ago."

Alpha’s chair slammed back down, "Damn it, Vic! Why didn’t you tell me then?"

"What would you’ve done?" Victor Creed shot back with a shrug, "You don’t have any operatives in the area suitable for retrieval or disposal. And there’re few independent operatives who’d dare infiltrate Xavier’s Institute." He waved his hand in dismissal, "I’ve already ordered someone to check out the sewers and give me an accounting."

Alpha pursed his lips, "Shit, it finished faster than we expected. Should we up the target date?"

Vic shook his head, "No, some of our people aren’t in position yet and the big guns want explosions, not fireworks. I’ll look into what can be stirred up and keep them off balance."

"Friends of Humanity?"

Vic frowned in disgust, "Don’t you think we’ve overdone that?"

Alpha shrugged, "The Plague of Flies might not have hurt the Egyptians, but it was still damn annoying."

Vic smirked, "You’ve got a point."

Alpha waved the CD in his hands and changed the subject, "A Worthington jet took off from JFK last night. Archangel was on it."

Vic raised an eyebrow and motioned for him to continue.

"So were Wolverine and two others. The jet filed a flight plan to San Francisco," he dropped the disk into his computer tray and turned the monitor so Vic could watch the video play. "I want to see if you can identify either of the unknowns."

Alpha brought up the disk’s information files and the screen came alive with security camera detail of the JFK airport. Off center was the Worthington jet, approximately two hundred feet from the camera, its lights blinking brightly in the darkness. Vic watched as a taxi pulled up in a corner of the screen and a tall, massive man got out of the front passenger seat, his light colored hair giving a faint gleam in the dim light. His light complexion broke up the darkness as he walked around the back of the taxi. The taillights illuminated him briefly as he made his way around to open the passenger door behind the driver. There was movement in the backseat and the light haired man bent down and quickly came up with someone in his arms. The man turned and his broad shoulders obscured the person in his arms as he walked away from the camera. A shorter, stocky man with dark hair exited the taxi through the open door and put on a cowboy hat before slamming the door shut. As the cowboy dug into his back pocket for his wallet to pay the driver, the taller man had mounted the stairs leading into the jet.

His eyes narrowed in concentration, Vic growled, "Play it again."

Alpha manipulated the computer mouse and the video began again. After it was finished playing the second time, he stopped the playback and asked, "Who’s the first man?"

"Someone you never want to meet," Vic replied. "Cable."

"Cable?" Alpha pulled open a file drawer in his desk, "I thought he was—"

"In Saudi Arabia," Vic supplied, "tracking down the remains of the Taliban and Al-Queda."

"Are you sure it’s him? What can he do?" Alpha asked as he pulled a file from the drawer and began to peruse through it.

"I’m sure," Vic growled. "He’s telepathic, telekinetic, an excellent tactician and knowledgeable in nearly all forms of combat and modern weaponry."

"Then what the hell is he doing getting on that plane when he’s supposed to be in the Middle East?" anger made Alpha’s voice rough.

"He must have given his handler the slip or I would have been alerted to his change of location," Vic replied evenly.

"Damn!" Alpha had enough of a glance through the file to realize that Vic was right. He dropped the file to his desk. "We needed them to stay in New York. Now we’ve got three—maybe four—seasoned X-men in San Francisco and we don’t know why!"

"He was carrying a woman."

"What? How do you know?" Alpha hit the play button again and watched the screen.

"I could tell by the shoes. The more important question is why are they carrying her," Vic explained. "Most of the X-women would be walking under their own power, they wouldn’t have Cable carry them and she didn’t put her arms around his neck which may indicate she’s unconscious."

"That’s … interesting," Alpha got a thoughtful look on his face.

"Either Cable picked her up somewhere between Saudi Arabia and JFK or she was at the Institute."

"Odds are she was at the Institute," Alpha replied as the video ended and he turned to face Vic. "There is still a possibility that Cable brought her from the Middle East and now that we know who he is, I’ll have our men check it out, but there is an injured female at the Institute who originated from California." Alpha smiled and took another folder out of his drawer and handed it to Vic, "Someone Archangel and Wolverine would both care about. The woman they took with them to White Plains, Doctor Angelique Green."

Vic opened the folder and began to flip through the information inside.

"She’s a teacher. Xavier just hired her out of Berkeley. There’s no record of her having any mutations."

"So Xavier hired a new frail to teach at his Institute," Vic mused as he looked at the coversheet. "A dancer? Seems Xavier wants a bird with a little more life in her now that he’s had his legs fixed." Vic came across Doctor Green’s photos. He flipped an enlarged copy of her driver’s license photograph up to reveal a full-page color flyer showing the Free Danz dance troupe in various high school costumes. Doctor Green dressed in a blue and white cheerleader’s outfit, her hair in long blonde pigtails was in the foreground doing the splits, a huge laughing smile plastered on her face as she held matching pom-poms at outstretched angles. Directly beneath her legs, the dates and times that ended three weeks previously, for the musical comedy, "School Daze", were printed, proclaiming the proceeds would benefit a San Francisco children’s hospital.

Vic’s eyebrows shot up and a sly smile lit his face as he said appreciatively, "I wouldn’t mind checking out her moves either."

Alpha smirked as realized what Vic was looking at, "I don’t think Xavier’s the one who’s interested in her. The last few reports on Archangel said he was dating a blonde."

"This isn’t her," Vic replied as he tore himself away from the picture and went back through the paperwork in the file. "His woman’s an X-man. She goes by the codename Husk. Her real name is Paige Guthrie, the little sister of Samuel Guthrie, Cannonball. They started dating about two weeks ago, after they killed Maximus at the original Lobo Tech conflict."

"Your information’s more up to date than mine. Who have you been talking to?" Alpha inquired.

Vic looked up from the file, "I had more than one type of surveillance set up. Your people weren’t the only ones watching the X-men. An organization like theirs is too complex to leave to just one group." At Alpha’s frown, he added reassuringly, "But The Pack was the most thorough in getting me the information I needed." He closed the file and tossed it onto Alpha’s desk.

"According to our information, Green’s been at the Institute a week," Alpha said. "She’s the third person to survive the obliteration of the Lobo Tech building. The X-men took them from the site, refusing to hospitalize any of them so most of the information we have is from news reports. Wolverine was seen walking on the grounds Wednesday morning. Thursday morning Archangel and Wolverine got out of a limo and entered the Worthington Building in New York City. When the reporters asked, they refused to say anything about Green except that she was in stable condition." Alpha picked up the file and laid it on his desk on top of the Cable file.

"The Institute has a better medical lab than most hospitals. They never leave their people in public facilities," Vic explained. "Do you have anyone in the San Francisco area who can find out where they went?"

"If we keep to the same schedule," Alpha said hesitantly, "I’ve got some muscle in the area that I can toss your way."

"Good. Have them find out where they’re staying."

"Archangel has a penthouse in the downtown area and Green has a residence in Berkeley," Alpha said making a note on a sheet of paper. "I’ll have them check those first."

Creed nodded, "What else is on the disk? Your man mentioned something about the news."

Alpha turned to his computer and brought up another video file. Together they watched a pretty, shorthaired brunette, whom the screen identified as Sherri Anapaku, cheerily speak to the camera, "Also in business news, Warren Worthington, III, the International Playboy and CEO of Worthington Enterprises arrived in the Bay Area last night." A publicity picture of Worthington in a dark business suit, wings folded behind his back, appeared over her left shoulder. "Although Mr. Worthington is well known for his philanthropy and business acumen, it is said that his participation as Archangel in the International X-Corporation Mutant Task Force has turned his attention away from Worthington Enterprises for far too long and his neglect has led to lower than expected quarterly stock returns. Our sources tell us that Mr. Worthington’s sudden arrival may lend credence to the rumors that there will be some upheaval in his company’s executive ranks." The video file ended abruptly.

"Well, that may explain Archangel’s sudden move to the west coast," Vic commented. "But not Wolverine’s or Cable’s."

Alpha smiled, "Worthington Enterprises recently hired the security firm, Gulogulo, and gave their personnel complete uninhibited access to all of the Worthington files."

"Gulogulo is one of Wolverine’s covers," Vic said.

"Yes," Alpha replied, "and that would explain his presence." He leaned forward and tapped the files on his desk, "But not Cable’s."

Vic nodded and stood up, "I’ll find out what happened in Saudi Arabia."

Alpha stood also, "Stay here and use my office. The line’s secure. I’ll go tell Tarbull what we need done."

Vic nodded and waited for Alpha to leave the room before he sat down behind the desk and picked up the phone handset and dialed a number.

When Alpha returned, Vic was very calmly speaking Arabic into the phone, "… When did this happen?"

Alpha turned to go, but Vic motioned for him to come in.

Vic continued speaking into the phone in Arabic, "I want a coded, full report sent to the address I gave you."

Alpha’s preternatural hearing picked up the Arabic reply on the other end of the line, "It will take some time to find the fleet footed scum off a camel’s ass. When we do, do you want us to hold him for you? I understand you prefer to do your own interrogations."

Vic smiled evilly and his excessive canines were revealed as a deep chuckle exited his throat. "I can see we have an understanding," he replied and hung up the phone.

Alpha leaned his hip against the corner of his desk, silently hinting for Vic to leave his chair. He raised an eyebrow, "Well?"

Vic turned the chair and put his booted feet up on the corner almost kicking Alpha in the process. The smile had disappeared and there was a growl in his voice as he said, "Cable killed the men I had watching him, then he located their contact and killed him, too."

"They’re going to hold someone for you?"

"Sharp hearing for an old dog like you," Vic said sarcastically.

Alpha crossed his arms over his chest, "I might have aged, Vic, but I’m still Alpha."

Vic snorted, "Just wait until one of the curs I’ve been training decides to try to take you on."

Alpha sneered, "You don’t want that to happen. There’d be chaos until the new Alpha was able to prove his authority. It’d take a year at least before The Pack recovered enough to equal what it does now. All current projects would be shot to hell."

"How do you know I haven’t been grooming someone for your position already?" Vic growled.

"Because, Vic," Alpha leaned forward, his eyes narrowed, "I know you. You’d rather have the position yourself."

Vic looked like he was about to come out of the seat and attack Alpha.

"But," Alpha continued, "That’d never happen. They’d never accept you … because you don’t smell right."

Vic relaxed and smiled, "I wouldn’t want your mangy mutts anyways. They’re too much damn work!" He stood up and relinquished the leather chair. He pushed past Alpha as he moved to the door, practically shoving him onto the desk.

"Vic!"

He turned, his clawed hand on the door handle, and looked at him impatiently, "What?"

"Cable?"

"Something happened and Cable mind fucked my people," he growled. "Supposedly, some kid helped him get to an airport where he commandeered a plane. They’re lookin’ for the kid now to find out what he knows."

"Where are you going?"

"California."


Part 18

Nathan stepped out of the shower and began drying himself off with the white terry towels the hotel provided. His mind racing with thoughts about what he’d planned for his team and whether they’d been derailed with the information he’d telepathically received from Charles Xavier.

Finding out that an integral part of his plan to stop a terrorist threat could unexpectedly turn into a werewolf was not something he wanted to hear. There wasn’t anything he could do about it except ship her back to the Institute and he’d be damned if he’d do that. Charles hadn’t said anything about returning her, just gave him the warning. Nice to know Charles trusted him and Logan to deal with the situation if it arose. Not something he’d likely do if it’d just been Logan and Warren with the girl.

In the plane, they’d described the werewolves to him as tall beasts with long sharp claws and teeth. Their canines so extreme they’d stuck out of the top and bottom. And strong enough that their claws had dug into the steel skin surface that Agent Husk had manifested. He smiled to himself, they hadn’t had a Mentalist with them at the time that could’ve blasted the beast’s minds to incoherency or telekinetically toss them about. One werewolf? And inexperienced at that? They’d be able to handle the girl if she changed.

He used a towel to clear the mirror of steam droplets, combed his hair and began to brush his teeth. S. H. I. E. L. D. Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage and Logistics Directorate under the guidance of Nick Fury last he’d heard. It’d been a while. Charles said he’d talked to Bridge. George Washington Bridge most likely, he’d been Head of Mutant Affairs at S. H. I. E. L. D. at one point in time. It was possible Fury had returned him to the job.

He spit out the toothpaste, rinsed his mouth and wet his face before rubbing shaving gel onto it. Going through the motions reminded him that he hadn’t often had the luxury of a real bathroom in the past year. He’d spent far too much time in the Middle East following false leads. His companions had turned out to be the enemy, terrorists working for an organization that had ties to Al-Queda. He’d captured ‘terrorists’ with his companions, but after he went through the minds of his associates, he’d found out that they’d just shipped them off to other compounds in the Middle East, to learn from their mistakes. The terrorists had been using him to find out their own weaknesses and correct them.

It’d been when they’d been victorious against a rival organization that he’d noticed something was wrong. Instead of sending most of the occupants of the enemy camp to ‘Jail’ to be interviewed as he’d been told, he’d overheard ‘his’ men talk about how they’d easily slit the throats of the shackled scum and buried them in a shallow grave. It was then that he’d become more aware of the double entendres in their speech. Soon after, he’d mind probed his ‘Lieutenant’, Mahmud, and found out he’d been deceived. It was short work to incapacitate his whole band and little effort to go through their minds, wrenching out every last bit of useful information. After that, he’d known them all intimately, knew none of them were redeemable in any way. Turning them in so they could go to prison for their crimes would’ve been a waste of time, money and resources that could be put to a better use.

The cook, Raashid, one of the men who usually stayed behind during conflicts and watched their camp, had been the true leader of his men. The information in Raashid’s mind had led him to another man, Aasim ibn Thabit. Thabit had been the grandson of the Mayor of Sakaka, a large town near the Iraqi/Saudi Arabian border. It’d taken some skill and the help of a young boy to infiltrate the Sakaka palace, wrest information from Aasim before he killed him and several guards, and then reach the nearest airfield. He’d hijacked a plane with the boy’s help again and taken him with him to Israel. His status as an X-Corporation Agent had gotten the plane down safely and he’d left the pilot of the plane and the kid with the Israeli Mossad while he caught the next international flight to London.

He’d bought his toiletries and shaved off his beard and mustache before boarding the flight in Israel. Having grown them out had made him blend in with the locals and the grey in his hair had given him added prestige as an elder. His telepathy had allowed him to blend in more thoroughly by letting him pick the minds of those around him to facilitate discussing the Quran or local matters to fit the image.

Finished in the bathroom, he got dressed in a white button-up shirt, black cotton Dockers, black socks and shoes, the image of a distinguished businessman in work casual. He rolled up the long sleeves as he opened the door connecting his to the rest of the suite and headed straight for the coffee pot that sat on the counter of the small kitchenette. While the coffee brewed, he went back into his bedroom and retrieved his laptop and cellular phone. He turned on the computer and typed in the codes that would allow him to access it’s data, hooked it up to the phone jack provided for the hotel’s business customers and connected to the Internet.

While the computer downloaded his mail, he poured himself a cup of coffee. He made note of the noises coming from Angel and Logan’s bedroom and checked his watch. They were up earlier than he’d expected but, based upon the type of noises he was hearing, he didn’t expect them to come out anytime soon. He sat down and began to go through his messages. At a particularly loud cry from Angel, he turned to look at the wall that separated him from them and smiled before returning to his email.

At five after eight in the morning, one of the hotel staff showed up with their breakfast cart. After the young man had wheeled it into the kitchen area, Nathan told him to leave everything on the cart, gave him a tip and followed him to the door to see him out and make sure he hadn’t seen anything important as half of the kitchen table was covered with his business machines and paperwork. Nathan made his way back to the table and began condensing the stacks of paperwork to make room for the various breakfast dishes that sat on the two-tiered cart.

Logan walked out of his bedroom dressed in his customary look; jeans, cowboy boots and hat. The only variable was the shirt, this morning it was a
button-up, long sleeved dark blue. Spying the half full coffee pot, he walked over and poured himself a cup and placed it on the table before he approached the food cart. He began lifting lids off the plates to check their contents. Choosing one with steak and eggs, he sat down at the table and began to eat.

Finished shuffling the paperwork into a semblance of neat piles, Cable joined Logan by grabbing another plate of steak and eggs and sitting at the head of the table.

“How is she?” Nathan asked conversationally once they’d both finished half their plates.

“Fine,” Logan replied. “She woke up a dawn, something about feeling everything waking up and moving around. She’s an early riser apparently.”

“If I’d known that, we could’ve been out of here by now,” Nathan said with a frown.

Logan shrugged, “We should’ve asked her.”

Still frowning, Nathan grunted as he placed a fork full of steak in his mouth.

Logan’s eyes wandered over the machines and paper at the end of the table, “Any changes in the plan?”

Nathan swallowed, “Charles contacted me earlier. Says S. H. I. E. L. D. wants X-men to help with suspected terrorist activity on the West Coast.”

Logan snorted, “Did he tell them we were already on it?”

Nathan shook his head, “No, but he does want S. H. I. E. L. D. to take the fall if all Hell breaks loose,” he paused, “or get all the glory if we succeed.”

It was Logan’s turn to frown, “S. H. I. E. L. D.? Not the locals? He’s not makin’ friends that way.”

“Not sure about the full details,” Nathan replied, “but I know my information wasn’t complete. I’d like to find out what they know, who their sources are. If we have the same information, then we might be done here in time for Alex’s wedding or maybe even his bachelor party.”

“Your father’s in charge of the bachelor party,” Logan replied and shook his head, “It’s gonna be boring.”

“Then we’ll just have to make sure it isn’t,” Nathan smiled.

Logan nodded and smiled back, “Damn straight.” He took another bite of food and got a serious look on his face, “you said your information wasn’t complete,” he said around the mouthful, “What do you mean?”

“I didn’t get far enough up in the ranks to really know what they’re planning. They knew they were going to target the Worthington buildings here in San Francisco. It’s the only town on the west coast that even has tall buildings. San Diego and Los Angeles have a few, but not nearly as tall or clustered like the ones here in the downtown area. And Worthington Enterprises is more condensed here in the Bay Area. It makes him a better target.”

“He’s rethinking that strategy,” Logan commented.

“Now that he’s a target,” Nathan replied.

“So you wanna work with them? S. H. I. E. L. D.?”

Nathan drew a deep breath and then let it out, “I’d rather not. Between the three of us, we should be able to handle it, but …”

“You wanna make sure.”

“Yes,” he acknowledged, “I’d hate to have underestimated them.”

Logan stared at his plate for a moment and then said, “I would, too.”

Nathan nodded, Logan had complimented him by telling him that he agreed with his decision. “We’re supposed to hook up a link to the Institute at nine. Charles also said something about your girlfriend.”

Logan pulled back his shirtsleeve and checked the time on his watch, “I’ll set it up after we’re finished eating.” He let go of his sleeve and picked his fork up, “What about ‘er?”

“She could turn into a werewolf,” Nathan said bluntly.

Logan’s fork made a ‘Tick!’ sound when it touched his plate as his hand landed on the table and he stared at Nathan, “What?”

“That’s all he said,” Nathan looked over at Angel and Logan’s bedroom door. “He wanted to be sure we knew about it before we left the hotel.”

Logan supported his chin with his hand as his elbow came up to rest on the table, “Shit.”

Nathan returned to eating his breakfast.

“But it would explain the pheromones,” Logan said quietly.

“Hmm?” Nathan grunted questioningly, his mouth full of egg.

“I noticed Angel was puttin’ out pheromones last night. Stronger than normal for a human.” Logan lowered his hand and lifted his fork to skewer a piece of steak, “I was gonna talk to Hank this morning, but …” he placed the piece of steak in his mouth.

“But, what?”

“Occupied,” Logan said around the meat in his mouth.

Angel opened the bedroom door and walked into the room. She wore a knee length, loose blue and white summer dress with a large floral print of dark blue roses that tied in the back and low, fashionable dark blue Birkenstock sandals. Her damp hair hung in a loose dark gold curtain behind her.

Nathan slowly looked her up and down before returning his gaze to Logan, “You’re both rather casual for going to work.”

“It’s Sunday,” Logan replied. “Casual day.”

“Grab some food,” Nathan said to Angel and motioned to the cart. “I want all the Worthington buildings scanned before people start arriving for work tomorrow.”

“How many are there?” she asked, moving forward to the cart.

“The most important ones are the five here in the downtown area,” Nathan replied. “They’re office buildings and will take you the longest to inspect. They’re the one’s I suspect the terrorists are planning on knocking down. Depending on how long it takes you to finish those, I have several smaller buildings I need scanned.”

“All of them by tonight?” worry filled her voice, “I don’t think I’ll be able to—”

“Just the office buildings first,” Nathan broke in. “We’ll worry about the rest after those are done. I want to be sure the Worthington five are clean. If you’re as good as you say, as I’ve seen, you should finish them tonight at the latest.”

“Oh,” she sighed in relief and bent down to pick up a plate and clear wrap covered fruit bowl from the cart’s second level and walked over to the last empty table spot.

“Chuck contacted Cable this mornin’,” Logan said, looking at Angel and tapping the side of his head.

“What about?” she asked as she took the cover off her plate and fruit bowl.

“He said you could turn into a werewolf,” Nathan repeated. He watched her reaction out of the corner of his eyes as he took another bite of his breakfast.

Surprise and shock were reflected on her face as she sat down heavily in her chair, her mouth dropping open.

“How?!” she looked at Logan pleadingly, “they didn’t get near me! They never touched me!”

Logan shrugged and shook his head.

“They’re expecting us to call the Institute at nine,” Nathan said. “We’ll find out then. I need to know what will set you off and see if we can avoid it. If it’s set off by the full moon, we’re safe. I checked. It was last week so you have another three weeks before you’ll turn.”

“It’s not the moon,” Logan told him. “The first time we met them was before the full moon. They changed then, no problem.”

Nathan shrugged, “We’ll talk to Doctor McCoy, see what he says.”

Logan looked at the distress on Angel’s face, “Don’t worry, Darlin’, Big Blue’s the best there is. If anyone can do it,” he smiled, “he’ll figure out how to stop ya from changin’.”

“Eat,” Nathan told her. “You’ve got a long day ahead and I want you at the top of your form. I’m counting on you to tell us if there are any explosives in the Worthington buildings or where they would place them for the most damage.”

She glanced from Nathan to Logan and then down at her food. She’d pretty much lost her appetite, but she picked up her fork, speared a piece of strawberry from the fruit bowl, placed it in her mouth and began chewing.

Nathan gave Logan a look that spoke volumes.

Logan gave him a brief nod, he was responsible for Angel and he would have to make sure she was capable of fulfilling her part of their mission.


Part 19

At nine, Logan finished setting up Nathan’s laptop to receive the video images from the Institute. The laptop and video camera were pointed towards the other side of the kitchen table. When the Institute contacted them, the camera gave them an image of Nathan in the middle with Logan on the right and Angel on the left. The breakfast dishes had been cleared away and Logan had made sure they all had paper and a pen to take down notes.

A man of apparently mixed African-American descent appeared on the screen, a large black ‘M’ was tattooed over his right eye, his shoulder length black hair was combed back from his face and a trim black goatee delineated his chin. He chest and arms were covered in a dull black, form fitting armor with a two inch stylized golden ‘X’ within a circle on his right shoulder clearly visible.

“Cable?” the man asked in a deep baritone.

“We can hear you, Bishop,” Nathan replied.

“Good,” Bishop said and looked down to enter commands into a keyboard that was below the camera range.

Warren Worthington, III appeared in a small square that appeared in the top left hand corner of the laptop screen. His blond hair, pale complexion and the tips of his white folded wings contrasted with a dark background and the shoulders of the navy blue business suit he wore.

“Archangel?” Bishop asked.

“I can see them,” Warren replied.

“Cable?” Bishop asked.

Nathan nodded and replied, “We can hear and see Archangel.”

Bishop nodded back and typed more commands into the keyboard.

The view on the laptop changed from the straightforward view of Bishop’s head and shoulders to an angled overhead view of a large conference room. It was the same conference room where Logan had placed Angel on a cot in the corner, but the center table had changed from a flat top to a three dimensional replica of the San Francisco Bay and environs. The edges of the table sloped down into computer screens and flat keyboards. Bishop sat in a chair to the right of the head of the table. He looked up towards the camera, “Now?”

“We can see the conference room,” Nathan replied. “Hello, Professor. Cyclops. Jean. Storm. Northstar. Iceman. Nightcrawler. Jubilee. Beast. Sage.” He paused in the roll call around the table and raised an eyebrow, “Juggernaut.”

Angel realized he must have named everyone for her sake. She recognized everyone except for Sage, Juggernaut and Bishop, the last three, clockwise around the table. She wondered at Cable’s pause before he said Juggernaut’s name.

“Juggernaut is here at my request,” Charles informed Nathan before he could ask why a known criminal was sitting in on a mission teleconference. “He has provided some very useful information in regards to the equipment Cyclops’ team recovered from the second Werewolf hideout Halo located. He is also willing to join any team that I decide to send west. It is still not well known that he has been aiding our cause recently and we may use him as an undercover agent.”

“I don’t trust him,” Logan growled.

“Then I won’t be sending him to join your team,” Charles countered. “S. H. I. E. L. D. has provided me with information that San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco will be attacked in a concerted effort by multiple parties.”

Logan bared his teeth as he exhaled in a slow hiss. Angel frowned uncomprehendingly and Nathan nodded grimly, he’d expected more than what he’d been able to find out, but he hadn’t expected multiple attacks in multiple cities.

“We have received written documentation from Bridge, the head of Mutant Affairs at S. H. I. E. L. D., formally requesting X Corporation Agents to aid them in the field. S. H. I. E. L. D. has created a taskforce to deal with these possible attacks and, with the permission of the United States Government, will be integrating several organizations and individuals under their authority including our X-men, members of the Avengers, a few independent paranormals and limited local government forces. They will be conducting a meeting aboard one of their helicarriers at 1900 tonight. Once the leaders of our three teams have been designated, they will contact them with the exact coordinates. I suspect it will be over the Pacific …”

Angel looked at Logan and whispered, “Is a helicarrier some sort of helicopter?”

“Helicopter the size of an aircraft carrier,” Logan whispered back without turning his head from the laptop screen.

She looked from Logan to Nathan and whispered, “I don’t have to go, do I? I’m not an agent and I’ll be busy scanning the Worthington buildings … right?”

Charles stopped in mid sentence, “Halo, do you have something to say?”

Angel looked at the laptop, wondering if someone had entered the conference room back at the Institute that she couldn’t see. She didn’t know who ‘Halo’ was.

Nathan sighed and looked at Angel.

“We haven’t told her yet,” Logan told the people on the laptop. He turned to Angel, “Angel, the Professor raised your status to Agent with the X Corporation so you could join us on this mission. He gave YOU the agent designation, HALO.”

“Halo? Why?” she asked turning from Logan to the laptop screen.

“I couldn’t very well call you Angel,” the Professor explained, “Archangel was originally known as Angel and, in combat situations, his name is usually shortened to Angel. You were effectively reborn through regeneration from Archangel’s blood and although he no longer wears his old uniform it had a halo motif on the chest. In reflection, I considered it to be a most appropriate symbol and decided that it would be your agent designation. Your reflective shield is a strong circle of protection for those within and your scanning radius allows you, among other things, to detect danger or those who need protection. Both abilities are circular in nature. Your kinetic force, which you call a ‘push’ or a ‘shove’, is more like a powerful blow, a ‘smiting’ blow in fact, to keep with the religious theme.”

“That sounds alright, but wouldn’t the name Halo suggest that I’m … ‘Holy’. I mean I try to be good … but I’m most definitely not a Saint.”

“You’re as much of a Saint,” Warren spoke up, “as I am a member of the Holy Host. Just like Logan is named Wolverine, Bobby, Iceman, and Hank, Beast. Everyone who’s important knows it’s just a designation, something to help describe your abilities.”

“Oh, okay,” she assented and then turned back to Nathan, “what’s your agent name?”

“Cable,” he replied.

“Oh, I thought that was your name.”

“No, my given name is Nathan.”

“You don’t have any cables that extend from your body. Why are you called—?”

“It’s a long story,” Nathan waved off her question, “I’ll explain it to you later. And, no, you will not be attending the S. H. I. E. L. D. meeting.”

“Oh, thank God,” she sighed in relief.

“We’ll discuss what you’ll be doing later. We’ve more important things to talk about,” he said sternly, turning back to the laptop screen. “I’ll need to talk to Beast after the meeting. Wolverine discovered another side affect Halo received from the explosion.”

“My studies have determined Lycanthrope cells in her DNA. Has she developed symptoms?” Beast asked.

“Could be related.”

“Will it interfere with your mission?” Scott asked. Secretly, he was hoping it would and they’d have to send Angel back to the Institute. He didn’t believe she should be on this mission with her recent injuries and now the complication of the possibility she could become a werewolf.

“Doubt it,” Logan replied, “she’s just gone inta heat.”

Beast began to type into the keyboard in front of him, his clawed fingers moving swiftly, yet carefully from long practice.

“What? What’s going on?” Warren asked with a confused look on his face. He hadn’t heard about the possibility of Angel turning into a werewolf.

“Halo has been infected with the werewolf mutagen,” Beast explained. “I suspect the biological contamination occurred during and possibly after the explosion in the sewers. The prodigious infusion of regenerative blood into her system may have incorporated the introduced somatic cells of the lycanthropes into her DNA,” On the computer screen in front of him, he examined Angel’s medical record, which he had transcribed into the computer database. “Wolverine is correct. Following her normal cycle, as a feral, she has reached estrus.” He began typing into the keyboard again, “Interesting. What are her symptoms?” He looked up at the large screen that showed the three in San Francisco.

“Oh, please, not in front of everybody,” Angel moaned and covered her eyes with her hand, which did little to hide the fact that her face had turned bright red. She wished she could just sink through the floor.

“You can talk about it when you have a smaller audience,” Nathan halted their discussion before it could start, looking pointedly at Angel before returning his gaze to the laptop screen. “I’ve decided it would be best to work with S. H. I. E. L. D., I’ll take leadership of any agents you deem necessary to send to San Francisco. I don’t feel we need any, but if there are any volunteers I’ll take them into consideration.”

“We have several team leaders here,” Charles replied, “and two positions left.”

“Their intelligence leads them to believe either the naval base or shipyards are in danger in San Diego,” Scott said. “I’d like to head up that team.”

Charles nodded in acceptance, he rarely refused Scott his choice of leadership, “That leaves Los Angeles. S. H. I. E. L. D. had information on the naval bases in San Diego and the skyscrapers in San Francisco, but very little on Los Angeles. They think there are several, possibly unrelated, targets including media and power supply. This could mean they plan on blacking out all of the Los Angeles area and bombing various television and radio stations. Creating panic and riots seems to be the main goal.” Charles glanced from Ororo to Kurt to Jubilee. “It might be best if we sent several teams to Los Angeles.”

“The economic situation in California should also be considered,” Hank said. “California has suffered a great financial crisis in the past few years. This has been reflected in the budgets of every city. Many have had to retire more experienced professionals and postpone the hiring of new law enforcement officers and emergency services staff. Politically, there is already talk of impeachment of their current governor. California is ill prepared to deal with terrorist attacks.”

“Once it was brought to his attention, the Secretary of Homeland Security requested S. H. I. E. L. D.’s cooperation,” Charles replied, “and S. H. I. E. L. D. has solicited the paranormal community to assist in this time of crisis. Our teams will therefore report to S. H. I. E. L. D. and not any of the forces of the United States government.”

“I remember,” Angel spoke up, removing her hand from her face, a small frown creasing her forehead, “there used to be paranormal teams here in California and then they all moved away and I never understood why.”

“Too much publicity,” Warren responded, answering her question. “California prides itself on being the media capital of America, if not the world. It became more of a hindrance than a help when we couldn’t step out of the buildings without getting our pictures taken. The helicopters flying overhead got pretty tiresome, too. Some paranormals achieved superstar status and it went to their heads.” Warren’s image was too small for Angel to make out who exactly he was looking at, but he seemed to be trying to make a point to someone. “We couldn’t do anything covert because the media was crawling all over us. Wolverine began to rack up an impressive list of assault charges from paparazzi when they started following him. Xavier sent him out of the country until the lawyers could deal with the plethora of lawsuits.”

“Some o’ the bastards still followed me even then,” Logan growled. Then an evil smiled appeared on his face and he leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms in front of his chest, “but I took care o’ them in Macao.”

“Yes and the X Corporation paid some hefty fines to lift their warrant for your arrest,” Bishop warned him, “The United States has an extradition treaty with Macao.”

“How was I to know one o’ the assholes stashed his film up his—?”

“We seem to be getting sidetracked,” Jean broke into the conversation.

“Yes,” Charles agreed. “Halo, your information on a secondary location for the werewolves proved fruitful. It seems they were using a hidden storage facility as a new base of operations. Several crates of explosives, munitions and the laptop you identified earlier have been recovered. We are also in the process of interrogating the werewolves that we were successful in detaining.”

“How many?” Logan asked.

“Four. We were unable to apprehend the two remaining leaders. The Pack seems to have a suicide policy.”

“I’ve heard of The Pack,” Logan said, his eyes narrowing. “One of those biker gangs that’s become a wannabe paramilitary survivalist group. Last I heard, they’d holed up in the Montana backwoods.”

“From what information I’ve already obtained,” Charles told him, tapping the side of his head, “that was their cover. They’re an international mercenary organization. I’ve already determined that the werewolves are one of their elite forces and have had combat training from Victor Creed.”

“Shit! That explains a few things,” Logan growled, remembering the beating he’d taken when he’d tried to take on the werewolves for the first time at the Lobo Technologies building.

“He was also instrumental in creating the team that staffed the Lobo Technologies building, although I don’t have any evidence that he is still working with The Pack at present. We do know that they began infiltrating Lobo Tech approximately three years ago and have been in place and running surveillance on the Institute and key staff members for over a year. It was quite an extensive network of motion detectors, camera’s and satellite relays. They were under orders to remain sub rosa, concealing their activities and avoiding any of the telepathic agents at all costs. I’ve sent out some of the newer recruits to begin dismantling their remaining surveillance equipment in the surrounding area and the White Queen is interrogating the werewolves as we speak.”

“Three years?” Warren asked in dismay, “They’ve been planning this for three years?”

“Possibly longer,” Charles replied. “Their motivation is a mystery. It was only recently that they were ordered to make themselves known. The list of their crimes is actually quite diverse and extensive and many fall under the recent federal terrorism legislation that has been enacted. I informed S. H. I. E. L. D. of their activities and Bridge believes, as I do, that there is a small chance that the Lobo Tech incidents may be related to what is going on in San Francisco so he has given us full discretion in the interrogations as long as we adhere to the United Nations Pact on Psychic Probes.”

“Did you tell them about Halo’s scanning ability?” Nathan asked.

Charles shook his head, “No. I thought it best to leave her abilities undisclosed for the moment.”

“I’d like her scanning ability classified as ‘on a need to know basis’,” Nathan informed him. “It could be our ace in the hole here and I don’t trust S. H. I. E. L. D. or the local government to keep it quiet. I don’t want her to become a target. Disclosing her other abilities and background should keep them satisfied as to why she’s with us.”

Charles nodded and said, “Agreed.” He looked around the table and the others also nodded in assent except Cain who just shrugged and said, “Whatever.”

“I would like to see the White Queen’s report when she’s finished with the werewolves,” Warren said, starting the dialogue back up.

“I’ll have it sent to all of you,” Charles replied, “Any questions you have should be directed to her. We anticipate further interrogations to extrapolate on her initial report. As for the laptop that was recovered, the werewolf leader tried to destroy it, but Sage and Forge were able to salvage a considerable amount of data. The preliminary information they’ve decoded has revealed their day-to-day operations, a few of their contacts and some of their arms dealers. Juggernaut confirmed and identified some of the arms dealers for us. S. H. I. E. L. D. has already agreed to send a team to join us in apprehending them. Any pertinent information will be sent to you once all the files have been decoded.”

“When do you plan to move on the arms dealers?” Nathan asked.

“Afterwards,” Scott replied. “It would take up to many of our resources to find them and apprehend them now with the crisis looming over our heads.”

Nathan nodded, “I’d like to be in on it.”

“So noted,” Scott replied with a nod before he turned his attention to Warren. “What information have you gathered so far?”

“Someone notified the local media of my arrival last night,” Warren said in an annoyed voice. “I’ve already dodged two of the local stations media vans that were camped out front of the offices and the phone has been ringing off the hook requesting interviews and offering invitations to social events. I haven’t accepted anything as of yet, but I probably should within the next day or two.

“It was easy enough to retrieve the blue prints on all the buildings and the records of any changes or upgrades. The personnel files have been filtered in regards to the specifications that we discussed and the results are more than I expected. It’ll take a while to wade through them and really pick out the suspects. What I’m truly concerned about is the fact that so much of these buildings are vacant, approximately ten to fifteen percent of each building has been vacant for over six months or more. I’ve already made a call to my real estate people to find out why.”

Nathan and Logan exchanged looks.

“Add your real estate company to the list of suspects,” Logan said.

“I already have,” Warren replied.

“It looks like Cable’s team is in place and have everything planned out for the next twelve hours,” Charles said. “If you don’t mind Cable, I’ll talk to S. H. I. E. L. D. about any undercover operatives they have that might be of use to your unit. I’ll contact you if I receive a positive response.”

“They probably already have teams set up and ready to dispatch to each of the hot spots,” Nathan said leaning forward in his chair. “Tell them to send their uniforms down to L. A. I want to keep this as quiet as possible so I won’t accept anything less than their covert and black ops people. My team may be the only one with the opportunity to trace this up the ladder to find out who’s giving orders and I’ll use everything at my command to dig out those sons of bitches.”

“We may have the opportunity to follow a trail in San Diego,” Scott said.

Both Logan and Nathan snorted.

“You’re dealing with the military, Cyke,” Logan drawled, “a bunch o’ bored uniforms stuck at a friendly border. With all the drugs and boozin’ goin’ on you think they can keep a secret?”

“I won’t say that the security is the tightest,” Scott said stiffly, “but we may get far enough up the chain of command to make some connections.”

“Or scapegoats,” Nathan commented.

“I’m going to call this meeting to an end,” Charles said before Nathan could deride his father any more than he already had. “We all have work to do. Beast, if you will remain with me, we need discuss Halo’s newest development with Cable’s team.”

Chapter 20

Hank moved to a chair next to Charles as the other agents left the room and prepared the computer to update Angel’s files.

“Do you want me to disconnect?” Warren asked.

“No,” Charles answered quickly. “You are Cable and Wolverine’s backup. You need to know what the situation is between Wolverine and Halo.” Belatedly he added, “And Cable.”

Nathan frowned and raised a hand in denial, “I’ve haven’t had any reaction to Halo.”

“Yet,” Logan said as he turned to look at Nathan. “We haven’t tested your reaction to her scent.”

“Is it scent only?” Hank asked his hands poised over the keyboard in front of him.

Logan shook his head, “No, it’s scent and taste. Just like Wolvesbane when she first went into heat.”

“Oh, shit. Don’t remind me,” Warren said. “The rooms at the Institute stunk to high heaven wherever she went.”

“You had it easy,” Logan replied. “You didn’t have her crawling all over you. The first time it happened, she was fourteen. At least Beast was able ta turn it off with a shot.”

Nathan smirked, “From what I was told, it didn’t stop her from getting into your bed.”

“Nothin’ happened,” Logan replied with a sideways glance. “I held her down while Beast injected her with some sort of birth control. Took her out o’ heat in a few hours.”

Nathan looked at the screen and asked Hank, “Do you still have it?”

“It would need to be made for the individual,” Hank replied, “but I do not believe such a solution is available for Halo.”

“Why not?” Angel asked, joining into the conversation. She was slightly relieved to know that her “condition” wasn’t unknown among these men although she wished they’d go into more detail about feral females since she now seemed to be part of that category.

“There is a strong possibility that your regenerative ability would negate the effects of the serum within moments,” Hank answered. His hands hovered over his keyboard, “I need to know when you first began feeling symptoms of going into estrus.”

“Uhh,” Angel looked at Logan and shrugged, “Saturday afternoon, I guess.”

Hank frowned and typed something into the computer, “Wolverine, when did you first notice her fragrance?”

Logan put his elbow on the table and stared at Angel for a moment before he turned to Hank, “Friday. But I didn’t realize it then. I didn’t know what it was ‘til last night ‘fore I went ta bed. This mornin’ I confirmed it.”

The surprise was obvious on both Charles and Hank’s faces as they glanced at each other. For Logan to NOT have noticed, or smelled rather, a woman going into the most fertile time of the month was a surprise.

“Explain,” Charles ordered.

“Most women smell … more like what they normally smell like,” Logan replied.

“Their natural aroma increases in strength,” Hank confirmed. “I can verify that. Why did you not realize that Halo had entered her estrus?”

“Because it doesn’t smell like her. It’s not her natural scent,” Logan explained.

“Her body has undergone a change, Wolverine,” Charles said. “It would be a good assumption that her scent might change also.”

“It’s not normal,” Logan stated, “she smells and tastes like marmalade.”

“Marmalade?” Hank said typing into the computer. “As in the preserve made from the pulp and rind of citrus fruits?”

“Yeah. Orange marmalade,” Logan said quickly.

All eyes turned to Angel. A few eyebrows were quirked.

She looked around and said, “I haven’t had any and I don’t have a clue as to why he thinks it’s marmalade.”

“Wolverine, does she also taste like marmalade?” Hank said looking down at his keyboard. If he didn’t have fur covering his face it would have been turning a slight shade of red. Asking such a very personal question about two people’s romantic involvement wasn’t on the normal list.

Logan unconsciously liked his lips, “Yeah.”

“From what locations on her body did you taste this ‘marmalade’ flavor?” Hank continued typing into the keyboard.

“Uh,” Logan hadn’t really expected Hank to ask him that and he could see Angel’s face getting redder by the second. “Everywhere.”

“Explain everywhere please,” Hank responded.

“Inside her mouth, on her skin, inside her,” Logan didn’t want to use a derogatory remark in front of Angel, “uh … between her legs.”

“The secretions of her Greater Vestibular Glands?” At Logan’s frown, he clarified, “Vaginal secretions?”

“Yeah.”

“Cable, do you also smell this marmalade aroma?” Hank asked looking up at the large man seated at the end of the table.

It was obvious that Nathan hadn’t thought about it and his nostrils flared as the breathed in. “Not really. I smell oranges, but she just ate some fruit with oranges in it.”

Hank looked up at the screen and wished the viewer could actually zoom in on the men’s faces. Logan’s eyes looked slightly dilated, but he couldn’t tell on Nathan’s one real eye. He’d ask Bishop to improve the picture and focus on their facial features during the meeting while he prepared his luggage and supplies for the trip to the West Coast. He could use the down time on the jet to go over the data.

“Assuming from previous experience with female ferals, the air in Halo’s bedroom should contain a high content of her pheromones,” Hank looked at Logan who nodded. “Has the room been ventilated or aired out in some way?” Both Logan and Angel shook their heads. “Good, Cable, would you please walk into the room Angel slept in last night?” Hank typed on the keyboard as he entered the information. He felt a sense of frustration. If only the crisis in California hadn’t occurred, her case was unique and required a proper controlled environment for analysis.

“Are you sure this is necessary?” Nathan asked. He didn’t like being a guinea pig and even if he was attracted to Angel, who he already was just because she was a beautiful woman, Logan wasn’t going to just hand her over to him if he could smell her pheromones.

“We need to know if this new development will cause problems, Cable,” Charles commanded. “Wolverine seems to have had long term exposure. He is also a Feral. You are not—”

“Hoo, yeah. Found that out,” Angel said under her breath, but the microphone on the laptop picked it up.

“—and it would be best if we had more than one source to determine whether she will affect the people in her immediate sphere of influence,” Charles finished.

“You’re not taking her back to the Institute,” Nathan said stiffly. “We need her scanning ability.”

“I will order her return if her hormones are affecting either Wolverine’s or your judgment. You can still carry out your plan of operations if we can obtain the personnel from S. H. I. E. L. D. or I can divert some of the more subtle agents to San Francisco.”

“Oath!” Nathan stood up and stalked into Angel and Logan’s bedroom.

Charles waited a few heartbeats after Nathan walked off camera before he asked, “Halo, was there a problem? With Wolverine?” His glance traveled from Logan to Angel, whose face was a rosy shade of pink.

“You heard that?”

“The microphone on your equipment is quiet sensitive,” Charles replied.

“Shit,” she looked at Logan and made an apologetic face.

Logan gave a slight shake of his head, “I’d have to tell them anyways.” He turned to the laptop, “I lost control. I went Feral on her.”

Hank’s head snapped up in alarm, “Halo are you all right?”

“Yeah. He didn’t hurt me that bad,” she responded. She wondered if her face could get any redder than it already was. Thank God, Cable, or rather, Nathan, had left the room. It’d be a little tougher to talk in front of him. She knew he’d heard them earlier in the morning. And Warren … well he was just a little picture on the screen and he was being quiet. She could almost ignore him. And this was important. She’d have to bite her tongue and stop feeling embarrassed. Think of it clinically, as if it had happened to someone else. Charles needed to know because he was her employer and responsible for sending her. Hank seemed to be the only resident medical mutant doctor at the Institute even though he said he was a biochemist. “We were having sex. The adamantium on his bones makes him pretty heavy and he’s strong enough to manhandle me. What little damage I received was mostly a bite and some bruising. The regenerative ability I inherited from Warren, I mean, Archangel, pretty much took care of the damage. I’m fine now.”

“Wolverine, why …” the ‘why’ of the matter was obvious, “… HOW did you lose control?” Hank wasn’t as worried now, Angel seemed to want to dismiss the incident or at least drop the issue, but it was still a concern and could grow to be a problem. “Please start from the beginning.”

“I think it started yesterday afternoon in the Infirmary when I took over watching Halo for the nurse,” Logan began as he went on to tell them the true activities that had occurred the previous afternoon.

Angel could sense Cable, no, she’ll have to remember, Nathan, walking around in the bedroom. She looked across the room and watched him and thought about what he must be seeing. Both beds slept in, but one was much more messed, the one that she and Logan had lain in while they had sex and made love.

Nathan toed a towel that lay on the floor between the beds and sighed. They were wasting time. He didn’t feel attracted to Angel any more than normal. Of course, knowing she was fucking Logan added spice, but she was far too naïve to be of much interest to him, if they’d met on the street, maybe a one night stand or a pleasant interlude for a few days. Nothing more. When he’d first walked into the room he’d noticed the smell of sex in the room. It was pretty obvious with the way the bedcovers were askew on the one closest to the window. He heard Logan talking about his responses to Angel and smirked. Nothing like having your weaknesses aired to damage your ego.

He kept half an ear to the conversation as he looked at the large curtain across one side of the room. He walked over and opened it to look out at the scenery and the building straight across. He gauged the weaknesses of their rooms. The whole hotel wasn’t very defensible, but it had the location and suites he needed on their arrival. He made a note to himself to check the Internet for a more suitable base of operations, especially if they were to expect company.

In the other room Hank asked incredulously, “You’ve had unprotected sex three times?”

“I’m on Norplant,” Angel replied, “Condoms aren’t really necessary. I assumed that if Lo- Wolverine had regeneration that we didn’t have to worry about STD’s.”

“Stars and garters,” Hank said under his breath as he considered how to explain things to Angel. He raised his voice, “With your new regeneration ability, the contraceptive hormones in the Norplant capsules may not be enough to counter affect your feral hormones now that you are in estrus.” A thought struck him, “Or they may be affecting your feral hormones. This marmalade essence is an unknown quantifier. I will need new samples to determine—”

“Hold on a minute,” Angel said angrily. “I can comprehend that the only reason why I was so attracted to someone who is anathema to my ideal of a mate is because I’m now a feral and so is he, but now you’re telling me I could get pregnant—I could BE pregnant?”

“Yes,” was Hank’s succinct reply.

“Why didn’t you tell me this earlier!” she exclaimed.

“It has only recently become known to us that your are a feral,” Hank replied quietly, “nor did I know the status of your relations.”

“Halo,” Charles said, placatingly, “Wolverine is considered to be an Alpha Male in the feral mutant community. Considering your current condition I doubt you would have been able to resist becoming intimate with him. You are in no way at fault for your situation.” If anything, Charles thought, I am, for putting you into this situation. I should have realized something was wrong when you and Logan began your relationship, but I thought it would be more useful in the long run. Now the consequences are beginning to escalate, but there is nothing that can be done until this crisis is resolved.

“Oh, God,” Angel groaned as she buried her head into her arms on the table, “I wish I’d never answered your damned employment advertisement.”

There was an uncomfortable silence as the men absorbed her statement.

Nathan had been listening to the conversation from the other room, he hadn’t felt any reaction to her pheromones and felt it was time he returned to the meeting. He’d reached the doorway by the time Angel finished her statement. When no one else spoke, he moved into the room and made his way to Angel.

He placed his hand on her shoulder and said, “I’m glad you did. All my life I have fought against tyranny in all it’s forms, the most insidious uses terrorism to dictate how the rest of us live our lives. The people responsible for coordinating these attacks here in California need to be found and stopped. It will be near impossible without your help.”

Angel raised her face from her arms to look at him, searching his face to make sure he was telling the truth. He bent down and kissed her on the lips, his other hand coming around to stop her from retreating as he forced his tongue into her mouth.

Her eyes widened in surprise staring into his before she moved to begin fighting him off.

Logan consciously stopped himself from surging forward as Nathan forced himself on Angel, but he couldn’t stop the growl that rose in his throat.

Warren, Charles and Hank helpless to stop what was occurring in the hotel room, watched with growing alarm as Angel and Nathan’s kiss continued while Logan looked on in obvious growing irritation.

Angel found her movement restricted, somehow she wasn’t able to move her body although her eyes still blinked and her tongue still moved as Nathan’s tongue plundered her mouth. She could sense Logan’s body tensing up as she heard his growl. He wasn’t immobile. Breathing through her nose she gathered the air to force out a whine of protest.

“Let … her … go,” Logan finally ordered between clenched teeth, his voice reverberating with the growl that emanated from his chest. He could feel his claws moving within his arms just short of breaking the skin.

Nathan abruptly broke off his kiss with Angel and stood straight, releasing his telekinetic hold on her body. He would need all his power to stop Logan. He looked Logan in the eye, practically daring him to attack as he moved to the head of the table and sat down.

Angel shuddered and drew a deep breath. Her arms moved defensively to her chest as she stared at Nathan, her mouth open in surprise.

Logan, refusing to break eye contact with Nathan, asked, “Darlin’, you okay?”

“I think so,” Angel replied, staring at Nathan and rubbing her upper arms, “I couldn’t move.”

“Telekinesis,” Nathan said calmly, “I wanted to be able to move you out of the way if Wolverine attacked me. Halo can verify that I am not influenced by her pheromones.”

There were audible sighs of relief from the laptop as the others realized the reason for Nathan’s actions and the fact that there most likely wouldn’t be a fight.

“Halo?” Charles asked softly.

Angel looked at the laptop and saw Charles’ raised eyebrow, a silent question. She turned and concentrated on Nathan. He was tense and his blood pressure was elevated slightly, but he and Logan were still staring at each other in a type of Mexican standoff, refusing to be the first to look away. His penis was completely flaccid and relaxed against the scrotum in his underwear. There was barely any seminal fluid in his vas deferens. She turned back to the laptop, “Nothing. He’s not aroused at all.”

“What about Wolverine?” Hank asked.

She considered the man across from her as he relaxed and broke off eye contact with Nathan to look at her. “During our kiss, Wolverine’s claws moved forward and he was prepared to attack, but he didn’t. He’s … slightly aroused, but for as long as I’ve known him he’s usually in that condition. He was slightly aroused the first time he and War- Archangel brought me dinner in my room at the Institute. I guess it’s a natural state for him.”

Logan looked at the laptop, smiled wryly and shrugged.

“Do you think my awareness of his physical state may have influenced my attraction to him?” she asked Hank.

“Indubitably,” Hank replied. “As a feral your knowledge that another feral in your area was ready to mate would have been an important factor. Whether an unconscious reaction or not.”

“So I would have been attracted to anyone who showed interest in me or my body?” she asked, trying to figure out the chain of events.

“Yes, your pheromones would have made any male feral in the area react positively to any physical overture,” Hank answered.

“During my physical and CAT scan,” she pressed her point, “you were attracted to me and I was reacting to it.”

“It is a reasonable assumption,” Hank replied slowly, “I was indeed physically attracted to you, but you gave me no sign that you were interested in me.”

“You didn’t notice the pheromones either,” she stated.

Startled by her revelation, Hank sat back in surprise, “Oh, my, you are correct. This does bear some investigation,” he turned to Charles, “If only for her safety.”

Charles nodded and sighed, “I was already planning for you to travel to Los Angeles, but I suppose you could be diverted to San Francisco.”

“He’s too obvious, Xavier,” Nathan said negatively. “He can come and get whatever he needs, but he’s not staying. He’ll blow our cover.”

“You will both need to attend the meeting on the S. H. I. E. L. D.’s helicarrier,” Charles replied. “Cable, since you are the one who will be attending, you can take Beast back to your lodgings and let him obtain whatever he requires from Halo. I will ask S. H. I. E. L. D. if they can spare some of their laboratory facilities for our use. If not, Beast, you may purchase what you need and set it up in the facility that they are using as their Los Angeles Base of Operations.”

“Yes, sir,” Hank replied.

Charles sighed, “We have already taken up enough time with this discussion. It was important, but there is little that can be done about it until we have further information. You have a long day ahead of you all. Dismissed.”

Chapter 21

“He’s been expecting you,” Warren’s receptionist said as she ushered them down a hallway, past two office doors to a set of elegantly carved double doors. She was a short Asian woman, shorter than Logan, but Angel could tell she was probably not just a receptionist in an expensive, purple pantsuit, but also a bodyguard. Her movement and the muscles on her body screamed martial arts master.

“The personnel from Gulogulo have arrived, Mr. Worthington,” the receptionist announced as she stood to one side with the door open.

“Thank you, Gina,” Warren said from his seat at his desk. “Please make sure we’re not disturbed for the next hour, will you?”

“Yes, sir,” Gina replied as she closed the door behind her.

Nathan and Logan immediately headed for Warren’s large mahogany desk. Nathan sat down in one of the two large leather upholstered chairs that had been placed in front of the desk and brought his metal briefcase up onto his lap, opening it and revealing his laptop. Logan walked around the edge of the desk to stand at Warren’s elbow. Logan examined the papers lying on the fancy blotter before looking at the sleek high tech computer monitor screen that was embedded in the top edge of the desk.

Angel held back near the doors, remembering Logan’s comment that Warren was a feral. She didn’t want to cause problems with her presence. Looking around, Angel’s senses told her that Warren’s office suite took up half of the top floor of the building. It consisted of his receptionist’s desk and his two administrative assistant’s offices, his own office, and through a discreet door off the office, a small apartment.

Surprised, she asked, “You live here?”

All three men looked at her, but Warren was the one that answered, “No, I have a penthouse suite in one of my other buildings.”

She motioned towards the wall that divided the apartment from his office, “Then what is it for?”

Warren glanced at the wall and smiled, “Convenience.”

“What?” Nathan asked, their conversation going over his head.

“He has a studio apartment up here complete with bed, bath and kitchen,” Angel replied with astonishment. “He doesn’t even have to leave his office!”

Nathan looked over at the door that led to the apartment, “What type of setup?”

“Everything money can buy,” Warren replied. “My home away from home.”

“Mind if I take a look?” Nathan asked.

“Go ahead, the door’s unlocked.”

Nathan looked at Logan as he stood up, “You know about it?”

“Yeah,” Logan said, “Used it a few times.”

Nathan placed his briefcase on his seat and went to investigate Warren’s apartment.

Logan looked over at Angel, “Darlin’, bring your laptop over here and we’ll load the building schematics onto it.”

Angel hesitated a moment before she walked forward and placed her blue laptop case on the edge of Warren’s desk. As she opened the case, she sensed Logan’s nostrils flare and wondered why, he’d been with her the entire time, and then she realized he might be scenting something from Warren. Warren wasn’t aroused so she didn’t know what he smelled.

Warren picked up three data sticks from his desk and held them out to her. “I hope you have room for all of these,” he said.

She took them from him and looked at the labels on the sides that told her how much information the sticks could contain. She frowned, “I’m not sure. I have a lot of personal stuff on here. Are they set up so I can examine them one at a time?”

“Yes.”

“Okay,” she nodded, “It should be able handle the files. I can keep them right?”

Warren smiled, “Yes, we’re on the same team. Just don’t lose them. I don’t need any thieves with instant access to all the security measures.”

“They’re on here, too?” she asked, surprised. “I don’t need that information.”

“Can you verify they’re all up and active?”

“I can verify that there’s something there physically, a box with wiring or a camera, but I can’t detect what it does or if there’s electricity in the wiring or if infrared beams are active. All I can do is trace the wires to electrical outlets and make sure they’re not unplugged or cut.”

“Better than nothing,” Warren replied. “If the plans say there should be a camera or a security box and you didn’t detect one, then I know something’s wrong.”

“It’ll be easier for me to look at the plans and take notes before actually going through the buildings.” She looked around his office to make a point about the fact that, although the room was richly paneled and accented in mahogany, the room only contained his desk and two chairs, “Is there an office I can use?”

“Both of my Assistants have already called to tell Gina they’re coming in,” Warren began, “and I need them to help me get organized and up to speed, so that rules out their offices. I suppose she can use—”

“She can work in here,” Nathan said from the open apartment doorway, “while we go over your personnel files. I don’t know how long it will take her to go through the schematics, but I want her here so I’m taking her to scan a couple of restaurants this afternoon and it’d be easier if I don’t have to track her down.”

“What if I’m already done with the schematics and this building?” she asked.

“Then we go to lunch,” he replied. “Logan, you’re coming, too, I need your nose.”

Angel wasn’t so sure about staying within Warren’s vicinity, “Won’t I ‘stink’ his place up?”

Nathan and Logan looked at Warren.

Warren looked at her in surprise, “I don’t smell anything.” He’d thought about the odor that Logan had mentioned immediately after the conference call, but he’d gotten so busy, not to mention worried about the fact that his office buildings had been targeted, that he’d nearly forgotten about her having gone into estrus.

Angel frowned and looked at Logan, “I thought you said he was a Feral?”

“I wasn’t sure. He’s got wings.”

“Oh, thanks,” Warren said, “and the term Archangel means nothing? I haven’t tested positive on half of the Feral tests.”

Logan shrugged and said, “Kiss her then.”

Warren looked at her, then glanced from Logan to Nathan. Sighing he stood up and motioned for her to lean forward over his desk.

“No,” Nathan said as he walked over to the desk and pushed Angel to the side, “you’re not going to get away with a peck on the lips. We need to know if she affects you and that won’t do it.”

Logan grabbed her arm and guided her towards Warren.

“I won’t say this isn’t a dream come true,” Angel said with a smile as she was pressed against Warren’s chest, “kissing the handsome prince in his tower and all, but I didn’t think the two guardian Ogre’s would be the one’s forcing us to do it.”

Warren smiled at her analogy, “Just as long as one of us doesn’t turn into a Toad.”

“A horny Toad,” she countered.

His smile broadened even more, “Yes.” He brought a hand to the side of her face and leaned down to kiss her.

She opened her mouth as his lips touched hers to give him better access. His tongue darted into her mouth, sliding against her tongue. She closed her eyes and held still, not responding to him. She knew he had a girlfriend and it wasn’t right to try to make it into a real kiss. Instead she focused on his body, seeking the earliest sign of his arousal. His wings shifted for balance, opening slightly.

Just as she sensed the blood rushing to his loins, he broke away from her abruptly, “Damn!” He stepped back a few feet, shoving his chair backwards.

Logan stepped between them and asked, “What’d you taste?”

Warren wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, “Oranges.”

“Anything else?” Nathan asked, moving behind Angel to pull her away.

“Mint.”

“Toothpaste and mouthwash,” Angel replied at their questioning looks.

“Well, it looks like you test as a Feral in this little experiment,” Logan drawled.

“But I don’t smell anything,” Warren protested. “She didn’t affect me until we kissed.”

“Remember, Hank didn’t smell anything either,” Nathan said. “Logan?”

“Could be the type o’ Feral,” Logan said, turning to look her up and down hungrily. “I can smell her, no problem.”

“Maybe it’s canine hormones,” Nathan said. “Hank’s a feline and you’re some sort of avian.” He looked at Logan. “Think it’s safe to put her in his apartment?”

Logan looked at Warren, “Wings?”

Warren slid a glance to Angel before he looked at Logan, “As long as we’re not kissing I can control it. Whatever it is.”

“I’m not planning on kissing you anymore,” Angel said reassuringly. “I’m not sure what Paige can do, but I’m pretty sure she’d try to kill me.”

That got a smile out of Warren, “Maybe. We haven’t been together that long.”

“Let’s just … keep it on the friendship level then,” Angel said. “I don’t need any more complications in my life right now.”

“Agreed,” Warren replied.

“He’s … uh,” she looked at Nathan, “returning to normal.”

“Good,” Nathan nodded. “Then it should be safe for you to use his apartment—at least for a few hours and we’ll make sure to air it out before we leave. Just in case.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Angel walked down the hallway, clipboard clutched against her chest. She stopped in front of a set of double doors.

“Did you want me to open this one, too?” asked the balding man in uniform by her side.

“Yes, if you would, please.”

The man, who’s starched security uniform bore the name tag ‘Langley’, pulled out a handful of keys and selected one before pressing it into the keyhole and twisting it to release the lock.

Angel sighed. She was on the last floor she needed to check and, other than one disconnected camera in the underground parking, she hadn’t found anything wrong or faulty. She hadn’t been bored at least. Some people kept pretty interesting things in their desks. The alcohol, drugs and sexual objects in the more enclosed offices had kept her entertained. She wondered if the security staff knew about half of what she sensed. She’d made coded notes during the entire time she inspected the building. Most of the notes were nothing, but some were so she could tell Warren about the illegal drugs. She didn’t want him to get into a lawsuit, but maybe it would be better if he knew what type of tenants he had.

They’d found out early on that she’d need someone from the security staff to follow her around to open the entrances to the office suites that were over fifty feet from the exterior wall so she could be sure she was thorough.

Don Langley was the current On Duty Supervisor and she’d learned a bit about him during their time together. He’d served in Viet Nam, but quit military service at the first opportunity because he hadn’t believed in the war. They’d bonded quickly over that. With his military background, he easily found employment as a police officer and rose to the rank of Sergeant before he was injured in the line of duty during a hostage situation. His wife had pleaded for him to get out of the service before something worse happened. “And here I am,” he’d said laughingly, tapping at the badge on his shoulder “still serving and protecting ‘til the day I die.”

“There you are,” Langley said stepping back to let her through the doorway first.

Angel walked in and looked around. It was a lawyer’s office and she could sense a thick wall of legal books on the inside of the largest office. She walked around the small cubicles used by the receptionist, clerical staff and paralegals.

“You know if you find a fire hazard here, they’re more likely to sue you for defamation than fix the problem. Goldstein and Fitz have been here since the building was built,” Langley said. “They were one of the first tenants.”

Angel smiled. They’d explained the reason for her examination of the building as to make sure it was up to all codes and that all the security measures were in place and functioning. One of the other security guards had been assigned to tape her movement through the building on the security cameras.

Logan had suggested they just hand the keys to the building over to him and Warren had advised him that according to their contract, the security company couldn’t do that unless their contract with Worthington Enterprises had expired. They’d been resigned to the fact that they’d have to have someone follow Angel throughout her examination of all the Worthington buildings. Since the security company Worthington hired used mutants, the men went through the security personnel files to find people with enough seniority to enter every office, but at the same time weren’t listed as mutants. Even then, Logan had gone with Angel to arrange her escort by Langley and do a physical check through Logan’s nose and Angel’s senses to make sure he wasn’t an unlisted mutant, Feral or otherwise.

“No,” Angel said as she opened the door to the main office and took a peek inside, “I don’t see anything to cause alarm. And this is our last stop I believe.” She made the pretense of checking her clipboard and making a few notes as she left the suite and waited for Langley to lock the doors behind her.

Langley checked his watch, “Just in time for lunch.”

Angel glanced at the watch on her wrist. It was almost noon. “Could you have them deliver the security tapes to Mr. Worthington’s office?” she asked as they headed towards the bank of elevators.

“Sure,” Langley replied, “I’ll get them myself and bring them up before I head out to lunch.” He hit the elevator call button on the wall and one of the elevator doors popped open.

“Thank you so much,” Angel beamed at him as she headed towards the opening and stepped inside.

Chapter 22

The rental SUV was parked backwards, front facing out at Angel, Logan and Nathan as they left the elevator. Nathan keyed the button that unlocked the doors and the vehicle’s driving lights flashed and horn honked, echoing against the cement walls of the dim parking garage.

“Drive,” Nathan said to Logan before tossing the keys to him. Logan caught them deftly with a raised questioning eyebrow. Nathan gave an almost imperceptible nod that Logan replied to with an acknowledging grunt.

“Why don’t you let me drive?” Angel asked with a smile, “I’m probably more familiar with this area than either of you.”

Nathan opened the back passenger door and motioned for her to get in, as he said, “No.”

Angel hesitated before entering the vehicle, “Why not?”

“Get in,” Logan ordered with a growl from the driver’s seat.

Nathan closed her door and got into the front passenger seat, his door slamming shut with the force of the truck shooting forward as Logan put it into drive and hit the gas.

Trying to attach her seatbelt in the moving vehicle, “Are we in that much of a hurry?”

“Time,” Nathan said.

“Going to be a quick meal then, isn’t it?” she asked sarcastically.

“No, we’ll take as long as you need,” Nathan replied.

“Then why are we going so fast? And you guys better fasten your seatbelts before the cops see you’re not wearing them or they’ll tag you as easy money,” she advised.

At the entrance/exit of the parking garage, the man in the little security booth gave a small wave and smile as they passed.

“You think his co-workers alerted him that we were leaving?” Angel asked out loud after she waved and smiled back at the guard. “He wasn’t paying attention when we arrived.”

Logan grunted, but Angel saw one side of his lips draw up in a smirk as he turned to check the street for access while putting on his seatbelt.

“Go ahead and go, Logan,” Angel told him. “It’s a one way street and there’s no one coming on the other side of that double parked UPS truck.”

Logan glanced in the rear view mirror and said, “Thanks,” before he pulled into the street.

“Now do you see why it would’ve been better to let me drive?” she asked.

“Do you know how to detect and get rid of people who are following you?” Nathan asked rhetorically before he continued, “The media’s attention is on Warren right now and if they do any checking, they’ll realize that Gulogulo is part of the X Corporation, too. I wouldn’t put it past one of them to try to follow us and find out what we’re doing.”

“You’ve got to be kidding!” she replied, “We’re just going to lunch!”

“That’s what we want them to think,” Nathan said picking up a manila folder from between his seat and the center console. “Don’t forget this is a working lunch.”

“Yeah,” she said with a sigh. She concentrated with her senses and noticed two vehicles pull away from curbs behind them. Nathan might have been right about them being followed. As Logan drove, she made a note of the two vehicles, one was a van filled with metal and plastic equipment and four people inside, two in the back and two in the seats up front. The other vehicle was a sedan with only one person, the driver. She felt another vehicle leave the Worthington garage, but she lost her ability to make out any details on it as Logan turned their SUV around a corner and several buildings blocked her direct contact.

“Damn,” she muttered.

“What?” Logan asked, his superior hearing picking up her voice.

“I think a car left the garage, but I can’t be sure,” she explained. “You turned the corner so now I can’t track it.”

“We’re only a couple blocks away,” Nathan said, “I thought you could sense that far.” He was pleased that she’d taken to heart what he’d just said about them being followed and that she’d immediately started looking for pursuers without him having to ask.

“When we turned the corner several buildings worth of concrete and iron blocked me from making out any details. I’ve already picked out a car and a van that might be following us, but the vehicle from the garage is a normal car. I’m not sure about make and model. We’re moving, they’re moving and there are a lot of cars moving along the same route not to mention people on the sidewalks. It makes it more difficult to concentrate with so much distraction. It’ll be easier if and when we get on the freeway.”

“A car and a van?” Nathan asked.

“Where are they?” Logan asked, his eyes scanning the vehicles in his side and rear view mirrors.

Angel turned and looked out the tinted rear window. After a few moments, she said, “The car is blue and behind that green family van with the lei hanging off the mirror. The van … Oh, crap,” disappointment crept in to her voice, “I thought it was a news van. It’s over on the right behind that red sports car.”

Nathan flipped the sun visor down and pulled open the flap to reveal a cosmetic mirror. He angled it to see out the rear windows. “What made you think it was a news van?” he asked.

“There’re four people in it and a lot of equipment. Two in the front and two inside the van sitting next to the equipment,” she replied, “but it doesn’t have any markings that I can see. It sort of feels like a news van, but it’s just a white commercial van.”

“Keep track of them,” Nathan commanded. “Tell me if they’re still on our trail when we get on the freeway.”

She nodded and sat back in her seat, closing her eyes to better concentrate on her scanning sense.

A few minutes later, her eyes still closed, she said, “Uh, Logan, you need to get into the right hand lane to get onto the freeway.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Nathan responded, “he knows what he’s doing. Are the van and car still following us?”

“Oh,” dawning comprehension on her face. “Yes, they’re still there, but so are a few other cars. I think one of them might be from the garage.”

“Jus’ keep track, Darlin’,” Logan said with a glance in the mirror.

“I am, I am,” she replied, her eyes had never opened.

Logan continued driving and eventually encountered another entrance to the freeway, which he took. Nathan looked back at Angel, miniscule movements of her head and her eyes moving beneath her eyelids telling him that she was concentrating on the vehicles surrounding them. He waited.

“Definitely the van and the car,” she said opening her eyes, “plus another car and possibly a truck.”

“Shit!” Logan exclaimed, grip tightening on the wheel. He glanced at Nathan, “They can’t all be dirt diggers.”

Nathan nodded with a grimace and looked into the backseat at Angel. Watching her face, he noticed, her eyes were closed and her body relaxed, moving with the vehicle as it dipped and swayed where the shocks didn’t cushion their movement along the pavement. A faint expression of concentration dipped her eyebrows along with the ever so slight movements of her head, turning first this way and then that as she scanned the vehicles around them. “Where are they?” he asked.

“The truck is coming up on the left to pass us,” she said. “There’s only the driver and he has a cowboy hat on.”

Nathan saw an older model truck move up on the driver’s side, it was a dirty, serviceable brown Chevrolet and looked like it had been on the road longer than it should. The driver was a middle-aged man with darkly tanned, leathery skin. Dark hair and sideburns were barely visible beneath a light colored cowboy hat. He was relaxed with only one hand on the top of the wheel. As if feeling the eyes upon him, he turned to look briefly at the occupants of the Ford Expedition and then returned his gaze to the road in front of him.

“Can you tell if he has any weapons on him?” he asked her.

Her eyes snapped open and peeved, she said, “You like to make life difficult don’t you?”

“Just do it,” he ordered.

“If I get a migraine, it’s your fault,” she replied before closing her eyes again.

He watched her face go through many facial expressions from annoyance to alarm to consternation.

“He’s … he’s got a gun and a couple of knives, but he also has a badge,” she said finally. “He’s wearing a phone thing … a … what’s the term? A wire.”

“Can you tell what type of badge?” Logan asked.

“I’m trying,” she replied. “I can barely tell what it is, but I can already tell you it’s not a cop’s badge. It’s got some weird design on it, the whole thing is like a bird with its wings spread.”

“SHIELD,” Logan said with a smirk and a glance at Nathan. “Chuck’s already told ‘em we’re here by now. Only a matter o’ time ‘fore they tried to find out what we were up to.”

“You think it’s SHIELD?” she asked. “The writing is smaller … maybe, I guess it could be.”

Nathan sighed, “We’re to meet with them tonight. You’d think they could wait.”

“Not Fury,” Logan replied, a smile creeping onto his face.

“I thought Bridge was in charge,” Nathan said.

“He might be in charge, but he’s not calling the shots,” Logan replied. “With a situation like this, Fury’d take over. He just had Bridge contact Chuck because he had to go through legal channels to make us all,” his voice turned sarcastic, “one big cooperative team.”

“Do you guys still want me to watch him now that we think he’s a member of SHIELD?” Angel asked from the back seat.

“Would you recognize him if he shows up later?” Nathan asked. When she didn’t answer right away he looked over his shoulder and saw the same look of concentration on her face. “Angel?”

After a few more moments, she said, “Now I will.”

“You’ll be able to tell it’s him even if he shaves or changes his clothes and armament?”

“I won’t say I’ll be one hundred percent,” she replied, “but I’m fairly certain I’d recognize him. If we get within ten feet of each other, without metal between us, I’ll be able to guarantee it.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Inside the brown truck, the earpiece in the cowboy’s ear came to life, “Hey, Chevy! You still following the three little pigs?” The masculine voice used a false Mexican accent to pronounce the name of the driver.

The man in the cowboy hat thumbed the switch that allowed him to reply, “Yeah, just passed them. And stop calling me Chevy.”

Laughter over the earpiece, “Okay, Chevy, you passed ‘em. What’s the sitch?”

“I don’t know,” uncertainty crept into Chevy’s voice, “Wolverine kept checking his side mirror and Cable was looking at me when I passed them. Are you sure they’re not—”

“What the hell? What did you do? We’ve got no ‘path readings here.”

“Nothing! I ran through the mental list just like you told me. Even if he did try to pick something up, he should’ve gotten Average Joe vibes.”

“You must’ve done something wrong if they’ve sniffed you out already.”

There was the sound of voices in the background, but Chevy couldn’t make out the words. “I’ve done everything by the book. Are you getting any readings right now?”

There was a slight pause and then, “No. Cable’s not using his powers.”

“What about the girl?”

“Nothing.”

“You got any info on what she does?”

“Not yet, they’re playing hush, hush with her. Saying that it’s NTK only.”

“Need to Know? Shit. What the hell is she?”

“We got a poll going,” the voice on the radio offered.

“What’re the options?”

“Mental, Physical and Other.”

“Other?”

“Whatever doesn’t fit the first two, personally, I’m siding with Other. Cable’s Mental and Wolverine’s Physical. Xavier doesn’t usually double up. From what I hear there’s still some debate about her having joined them. Seems she might be a lamb running with wolves.”

“Hmmmm,” Chevy looked at the red Ford in his rear view mirror, “What’re the odds?”

“Right now five to one Mental, fifteen to one Physical, and forty to one she’s Other.”

“Pretty long odds.”

“Well, she’s showing no obvious Physical mutations and Other mutations ARE fairly rare.”

“Have you seen her?”

“She has a decent DMV pic.”

“Better in real life.”

“Thank God! I can’t standing looking at Wolverine’s ugly mug for long.”

That got a laugh from Chevy, “Yeah, me neither. You want me to pull off or keep going?”

“We’ve got no readings to say they’re on to you so stay ahead of them and radio in when they turn off. We’re going to fall back.”

“Sure, and put me down for Physical.”

“Roger!”

The radio went silent once again.

Inside the white commercial van, a young blonde man in his mid twenties pulled a headset off his ears and rested them on his neck before turning to the two older, militaristic looking men in the front bucket seats. “You hear that? Put Chase down for Physical.”

“Will do,” the passenger replied, pulling a small notebook and pen from his breast pocket.

The remaining man in the van was an Asian with short-cropped black hair and brown eyes. He was watching a set of gauges and making notes on a clipboard, obviously a technician of some sort. “Who was looking at him?” he asked.

“Wolverine and Cable. You want me to play it back to verify?” the blonde replied.

“No, I’ll synchronize it with my readings later to prove Cable wasn’t using his abilities.”

“You think it might have something to do with her?”

“Probably,” the tech wrote more notes down, “I can’t calibrate the equipment to scan for mutations I don’t know about.”

“You sci-tech guys are probably looking forward to tonight. What with forty or more paranormals arriving that you can scan and monitor for a few hours.”

The tech shook his head with a grimace, “Not us grunts, we’ll be pulling forty-eight hour shifts to compile all the data. It’s going to be a Bitch.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Angel found a parking space for them within half a block of The Fez. Nathan dropped quarters into the meter for two hours, more than enough time for what they needed. As she led the way to the restaurant, Nathan fell into step beside her while Logan followed.

“So the van and two cars?” Nathan began.

“Yes,” Angel replied. “And I think the truck might be back, too.”

“You’re still keeping track?”

“Yes,” she repeated in a worried tone. “The van just turned onto the street behind us, coming this way.”

Nathan noticed the shop they were approaching, “You need to buy clothes.”

“What?” she was surprised by the change in topic, “No, I was going to stop at my house and—”

Logan caught on a lot faster, “There’s a shop in front of you. You need to buy new clothes.” The last was said as an order.

“O … kay,” she said slowly. Her eyes caught sight of the display in the window of the clothing store and a big smile lit her face, “It’s your credit card.” She headed into the store and immediately started checking the clothes on the first rack.

By the time the van passed the clothing store, Logan had pulled out a cigar and was in the process of lighting it. As he snapped the lighter shut, he said around the cigar, “You had the long term girlfriend.”

Nathan practically growled and headed into the store. He was surprised to find Angel with several pieces of clothing over her arm and sorting through a rack against the wall. “The van?” he asked quietly.

“What about it?” she asked, pulling the clothing to the side so she could see the color and design.

“Who was in it?”

“I don’t know. Both of you told me to go shopping,” she lowered her voice, “You didn’t tell me you still wanted me to keep track of all those vehicles.”

Nathan’s eyes grew wide and he took a deep breath, looming over her, “Don’t tell me that you stopped—”

She lifted up the clothes in her arms, holding them out to him. Raising her voice she said, “Here. Take these.”

He looked at the clothes. They looked like dresses and pants in blues and greens. He was surprised that she’d picked out quite a few clothes in under five minutes. “Angel,” he began.

“Don’t stand there like a … SHIELD,” she said, emphasizing the last word. “I needed to do some shopping. Take these to the register. I just have to pick out some khimars and I’ll be done.” She shoved the clothes into his chest until he raised his arms and took them from her.

He realized she’d been joking with him at first, acting the ditzy blonde. She’d cryptically told him that the men in the van had been more SHIELD agents. He should have known they’d have sent a team to follow Wolverine and Cable, one normal human, no matter how good the training, wouldn’t be able to keep up with them.

The word ‘khimars’ circled around in his brain as he observed Angel stop at a rack of scarves and then it came to him. It was the name of the headscarves that Islamic women wore to cover their hair. He quickly looked around and saw he’d sent her into a small ethnic store full of women’s Arabic clothing. The displays in the front window had looked like dresses, but now he saw that they were caftans, ankle length flowing gowns with long sleeves.

A plump woman, wearing a tan, embroidered long tunic and matching pants with her hair covered in a matching scarf or khimar approached Angel and asked if she needed any help. Nathan heard her ask about pins to use with the khimar and the woman told her they had a display near the register. Angel picked up the khimars she’d chosen and followed the woman to the display.

Nathan walked over to the register and dropped the clothes onto the counter. Expecting Angel to be as quick about picking out the pins as she had the clothes, he dug a credit card out of his wallet. He wasn’t disappointed as the two women joined him at the register within moments.

He looked out the front window and saw a small cloud of smoke float up. Logan was still in position, waiting and watching for an attack. They weren’t taking any chances with Angel. Although she’d told him that the van held more SHIELD agents, it could just as well have been a group of Friends of Humanity terrorists looking to score a hit. They didn’t need to find out how long her regeneration would take for her to recover enough to continue her mission of scanning the Worthington buildings. While he got her out the back door of the store, Logan, having the fastest healing ability, would have been able to take any damage they dished out and still be ready and able to continue their mission within a few hours. The less the local Police knew about their activities, the better.

Angel taking the credit card out of his hand drew him back to the situation at hand. He glanced at the digital display on the back of the register and grunted. A few hundred was worth the peace of mind. If she didn’t figure it out he wasn’t going to tell her why they’d sent her into the store, he doubted Logan would either. He signed the slip of paper the clerk handed him and took the receipt, placing it and the credit card back into his wallet. While he placed his wallet back into his pocket, Angel grabbed the handles of the bags and with a polite smile and farewell to the clerk, started for the front of the store.

“That was fast,” Logan commented when she stopped next to him.

“You should see me during Christmas,” she smiled.

Logan stood straight from leaning against the wall and peeked into the bags. In a low voice he asked, “You still tracking?” At her nod he added, “Anyone get out? Following us?”

In a whisper she replied, “The man across the street looking into the used bookstore is the driver of the blue car. No badge or weapons, but he does have a small digital camera, a tape recorder, a PDA and a cell phone.”

Nathan came out of the store behind her, “You want to put those in the truck?”

“Sure,” she said and they headed back to the SUV. “All the vehicles are parked now,” she said quietly. With a motion of her head towards an opening between buildings, she said, “The other car is in the alley, the driver should be turning the corner in a sec. No badge that I can tell. A gun, a knife and a cell phone. I THINK there’s another gun and some sort of rifle in the trunk of his car.” To anyone who had been watching the two men next to her, they didn’t seem to react to her announcement, but she could tell in the bunching of certain muscles along their arms, backs and legs that they were on the alert.

The man with no badge rounded the corner. He was a short, thin Caucasian man wearing a dirty white Giants baseball cap over light brown hair, sneakers, baggy blue jeans and a black t-shirt with “WTF?” in large white block letters. He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and dialed a number while he casually glanced up and down the street.

While Angel placed her purchases in the SUV, Logan asked, “Abort?”

“No,” Nathan said, “Continue to the restaurant. Looks like the punk is our only worry at the moment.”

Chapter 23

“You want me to take him out?” Logan asked, hitting the button on the key ring. The Ford honked and it’s lights flashed to confirm it received the command to lock the doors.

“No,” Nathan replied with a smile. “I have an idea to kill three birds with one stone and get some information while we’re at it.”

“Three?” Angel asked, shutting the door.

The punk looked in their direction using the honking horn as an excuse to actually observe his prey. He saw the tall, older man with short grey hair and the physique of a bodybuilder, a much shorter but no less muscular man with dark hair that almost reached his wide shoulders and a thin woman with long, loose blonde hair that reached past her waist. He’d have no problem keeping track of such an unusual group. They matched the faxes he’d received along with the orders to follow the trio and find out where they went after leaving the Worthington building.

Nathan dug into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone. He flipped it open and dialed a number before putting the phone to his ear.

Logan placed his hand on Angel’s back. “Let’s go get some grub,” he said aloud. Quietly, he added, “Keep track o’ the men and cars ‘til Nathan tells ya ta stop.”

There was concern in her voice as she whispered, “I’ve never concentrated this hard for this long. I know, back at the Institute, I told you all that I could do it, but …” She shook her head, “The buildings are one thing. Keeping track of moving vehicles and people, especially long distance.” She sighed tiredly, “I’m not used to this.”

Logan nodded in understanding, “Nathan’s tryin’ ta relieve ya o’ that burden. Just keep it up a li’l while longer.”

“Maybe after the next building we can take a break?” she asked.

“We’ll see how ya feel,” he replied, making no promises. As she moved ahead, leading the way to the restaurant, the wind blew her pheromones into his face and he mentally steeled himself, keeping his body from reacting. Out in the open it was easier to maintain control as thousands of other smells mingled with hers and he could concentrate on picking them out. Her scent had been overwhelming in the closed interior of the truck, but his driving and the knowledge that they were being followed had allowed him to put his own hormones on hold. It would be more difficult to maintain control in the restaurant as they sat next to each other, but Cable said he wanted him to use his sense of smell to help Angel determine if the restaurant harbored any of the terrorists. Her scanning might not turn up any physical evidence they could use, but he might smell the residue of chemicals used for explosives or a scent that might give them an important clue later. Nathan obviously thought this restaurant was important and tied to the terrorists in some way and he wasn’t going to leave anything to chance.

What he needed to do out on the street was keep enough distance between himself and his companions in case they were attacked. It would be careless of him if he didn’t make sure he had enough room to maneuver. He casually looked around, his practiced eye noting the placement of rooftops, doorways, windows and vehicles. He knew Nathan would be doing the same. Like his father, Scott Summers, Nathan was an excellent strategist, but unlike his father, he was unscrupulous in executing his plans using whatever and whoever to further his goals. Being forced to work with SHIELD would give them better resources and at the same time force Nathan and himself to tone down their ruthlessness. Xavier probably saw it as a win-win situation.

He’d agreed with Scott that Angel should’ve stayed at the Institute. She wasn’t combat trained and needed counseling to get her through her recent ordeal not being flown cross-country to possibly face more of the same. Although Xavier had made it look like it had been her decision, it was obvious to him that Charles had influenced her in a weak moment with the talk about the World Trade Center. Then Xavier had made this mission even more difficult for him by ordering him to take care of her. Finding out she’d become a feral and gone into heat added even more complications than he’d care to admit.

Behind them, Nathan was contacting SHIELD. Aware that anyone could pick up a cell phone conversation given the right equipment, all Xmen carried cell phones with scramblers. He trusted Xavier to have given SHIELD the codes to the Xmen phones, but at the same time he was aware that there were satellites that monitored cell phone conversations. Scrambled conversations could be flagged as could voice imprints. Protocol dictated he use code words, no agent names or key words that would belie their operations. More formal conversations were to be made from dedicated landlines with another scrambler if possible. After several brief conversations with lesser personnel, he was routed to the correct phone. “I don’t like party crashers, George,” he said.

“Nathan, what an unexpected surprise,” came George Washington Bridge’s deep voice. There was an echoing quality to Bridge’s voice and Nathan knew he was on a speakerphone.

“Surprise my ass,” Nathan replied. “Tell your people to go home or do something useful.”

“People? I don’t know what you—”

“Cut the bullshit,” out of the corner of his eye, Nathan saw the Punk put his cell phone away and head down the street in the same direction they were walking.

“I sent them,” a different voice said, suave and confident. “I’ve been waiting for your call. I was told you had decided to join the festivities instead of having your own private party.”

“I’ll show for the big bash but you didn’t have to send an escort,” Nathan complained. He recognized the voice of Nick Fury, the Head of SHIELD. His eyes began to scan the rooftops of the buildings across the street.

“Your godfather advised me that you have a debutant with you. He wanted me to keep an eye out for her, make sure you don’t lead her astray,” Fury said.

“He already assigned her a chaperone.”

“There are many things I would call him, but chaperone is not one of them,” there was a hidden laughter in Fury’s voice.

“Depends on your definition,” Nathan glanced at Logan, watching him covertly studying their surroundings. Nathan noted that the Punk passed the supposed Reporter and was looking in the windows of the stores on his side of the street, using them as mirrors to monitor their progress. He doubted the Punk even knew what was inside the stores. Angel’s advance warning had alerted them to his presence, but even without it, the way the man constantly looked in the windows practically shouted ‘Tail’. “Right now we’re just getting more appetizers for the party tonight. We don’t need you to hold our hands. We’re big kids we can do things on our own.”

Fury’s voice hardened, “I know the two of you well enough to keep tabs on your whereabouts. Both of you have a history of bringing home unpleasant friends and making a ruckus. The other residents of that … apartment you purchased won’t take very kindly to loud parties. Now that I know you’ll be attending my soiree and following my rules, I’d like to invite you over to my place. It’s not far from where you’re at already. And I feel it would be safer all around.”

Staying at the hotel had fulfilled their immediate need of a place to stay last night and was within a short distance of all the Worthington buildings that had been targeted. He’d thought about moving, but considered their current arrangements to be adequate for the moment. Now, the Punk and Reporter may not be the only ones following them. Fury was right, it would be safer for the innocent civilians in the neighboring hotel rooms if they moved. SHIELD would have a secure location where they wouldn’t have to worry about Tails following them up to their rooms. The only problem would be the accommodations. Angel had specific needs and he wasn’t sure if the SHIELD location could provide them. “I’d like to discuss arrangements,” Nathan replied, accepting Fury’s offer, “We’re heading to lunch. Why don’t you and the boys come down and join us?”

“How did you find them by the way?” Fury asked, referring to the men he’d sent to follow them.

“Rearview mirror.”

“They’re not amateurs,” Bridge said, joining the conversation and dismissing Nathan’s excuse. “And my information shows you haven’t used your talents. Was it the girl?”

“Does it matter how we found out?” Nathan asked. “They weren’t our only escort.”

“Your mirror must have been crowded.”

“It was,” Nathan said dryly. “Besides your boys, we have two party crashers that we were able to pick out. One’s a critic who’s more of an annoyance than a hindrance. The other looks like a local tough. I’d like to find out who sent him.”

Bridge’s voice held a warning, “The critic will be easy enough to remove for the short term, but unless something more interesting comes up, harassing him would just raise suspicion and then he’d be like a dog digging up a bone. We’ll see what we can do about your other problem.”

Angel and Logan had reached the doors to the restaurant and when they looked at him, he waved them inside. “We’re at The Fez restaurant if you’d like to join us. I’ve been told it’s been remodeled recently so I decided to check it out.”

“Interesting,” Fury said, “I’m to busy right now, but I’ll send the boys down. They can tell you about the accommodations at my place.”

“Get a table for six,” Bridge ordered. “The boys’ll pick up the tab since it’s turning into a business lunch.”

“Excellent. We’ll wait for them,” Nathan hung up.

Putting the cell phone back into his pocket, he quickly examined the exterior of the restaurant and surrounding buildings on the street. Like most buildings in San Francisco, they were all sharply rectangular, tall and narrow with flat roofs. It looked like they had been built in the 1930’s or 1940’s when economy of space and building materials had been more important than appearance. The only differences were the heights and colors of the buildings.

At six stories, it was the tallest building on the block. A shiny new plastic sign hung from the front of the building between the fifth and sixth floors, a cylindrical red hat topped by a gold tassel and stylized writing labeled the entire building “The Fez”. From the closed curtains on the upper floors, Nathan guessed it might still be in use as a hotel although he didn’t see a vacancy sign.

Entering the building, Nathan saw that a Middle Eastern gift shop occupied the entire ground floor. On display were several ethnic gifts, most of them typical of what people who had never been to the Middle East expected to find; water pipes, bronze oil lamps and incense holders, Turkish coffee sets, jewelry and clothing in various styles ranging from long tunics and pants to belly dancing outfits made with shiny, faux brass coins. There were also chintzy items found in any tourist trap plus more realistic items such as books and posters of Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Iran. Most of the items gave buyers the fantasy of the Middle East without any of the realism. A sign hanging from the ceiling pointed the way towards stairs and an elevator. Behind the cash register, a large sign proclaimed The Fez restaurant newly opened with meeting and banquet rooms available.

Movement caught his eye and he saw Angel browsing. Logan followed her, apathetically picking up the occasional trinket and turning it in his hands before returning it to its place. Logan had been to the Middle East and knew junk when he saw it.

Since the vehicles had stopped moving Angel only had to keep track of the occupants. She knew when three of the SHIELD agents had left their vehicles and began to approach the building. Assuming Nathan had called SHIELD and they were supposed to be the good guys, she didn’t think it was important to notify him until they were closer. She used her browsing as an excuse to roam around the entire floor of the building. She located security measures and picked up discrepancies in the architecture. She’d need to go up a few more floors to accurately scan the top floors. The floor above was the restaurant and bar, above that were several rooms filled with tables and chairs which were probably the meeting and banquet facilities that were being advertised by the signs behind the register and in front of the stairs and elevator.

Nathan’s eyes followed Angel, but he walked over to stand next to Logan. “Told Nick about our problems,” Logan knew that ‘them’ meant SHIELD and he nodded as Nathan continued. “He offered to let us stay at his place.”

“Ya wanna do that?” Logan asked.

“Not sure, but I agreed to talk to his people. They’ll be eating lunch with us.”

Logan’s eyebrows rose, “You want to discuss that here?” His eyes slid to the smiling young man who had moved from behind the cash register to ask Angel if he could help her in any way.

“It should be safe. I’ll have her tell us if it isn’t,” Nathan whispered his reply confidently, observing Angel and her fawning attendant.

Angel knew the young man was just trying to get her to buy something in the gift shop, but most of what she’d seen didn’t appeal to her. She wasn’t a gullible tourist with money to spend. In fact, now that she thought about it, the only money she had was in her bank account and on her own credit cards. For all she knew, the X Corporation would give her a bill to pay for the outfits she’d bought at the ethnic clothing store. She better ask Nathan about it before they left. She could still return them after lunch if necessary.

“She’s gettin’ tired,” Logan said quietly.

“I thought she said she could do this?” Nathan asked, keeping his voice low, but Logan could hear the anger creeping into it.

“Buildings don’t move an’ she still hasn’t had enough sleep,” Logan explained.

“She still has four buildings to search,” Nathan didn’t waver from the goal he’d set for her. “We need those buildings searched as soon as possible.”

“She didn’t find anything in the first one,” Logan said.

“It’s possible they just haven’t placed it.”

“They may not have placed anything in the others either. Warren said he’d look inta the broken camera in the garage. If a requisition hasn’t been filed or it’s been ‘misplaced’ then we c’n legally suspect someone in charge o’ Security. The grunts would’ve noticed it and at least one o’ them would’ve filed a report o’ some sort.”

“Unless the whole security company is involved.”

“Worst case scenario.”

“According to Warren,” Nathan sighed, “but we’re looking at the bigger picture. Worst case is we find nothing and the shit still hits the fan. Suspecting the security company is just good policy.” His eyes found Angel fondling the belly dancing outfits. It was obvious the sales clerk would love her to try them on. “Should we rescue Angel?”

Logan glanced over at her and the sales clerk, “Naw. Let her buy one of those outfits. She owes me a dance.”

Nathan remembered the note about multicultural dancing in her file. “She knows how to belly dance?”

“Haven’t seen her dance yet, but she’s a certified instructor so I suspect she’s not half bad. Northstar’s the only one who’s seen her in action.”

“Really,” Nathan drawled, a smile raising the corners of his mouth slightly. “She trying to turn him straight?”

As the suspected SHIELD agents neared the doorway, Angel pulled one of the dancing outfits off the rack and made her way over to the two men. Holding it up to her body she said loud enough for the clerk to hear, “What do you think?”

“If you wan’ it, I’ll buy it for ya, but yer gonna have ta dance in it fer me,” Logan told her with a grin.

“I don’t know,” she replied. “I might not have enough to pay back Nathan for the other clothes I bought.” Quietly she added, “Three of the badges are coming.”

Nathan smiled and shook his head, “Don’t worry about it. The clothes are yours. The company will pay for them.” He stepped closer to her and whispered into her ear, “SHIELD’s been invited to lunch. You can stop paying attention to them, but I still want you to keep track of the other two.”

“What about this?” she asked shaking the dress, making some of the faux brass coins chime.

Nathan glanced at Logan and spoke in a normal tone of voice, a smirk on his face, “Only if you want it, but I’d prefer you get the blue or green one myself.”

“I’m not dancing for YOU,” she said and turned around intending to place the outfit back on its stand.

Logan grabbed her elbow and spoke quietly, “Neither of us have seen you dance. We’ll need to see what you can do.”

“Why?” she practically hissed.

“No reason to get upset,” Nathan said before he lowered his voice, “I need to know what my people can do.”

She sighed and rolled her eyes, the tension leaving her face, “You want me to get one or not?” She had more authentic belly dancing costumes at home, but if they were willing to buy her new ones she could use them for now and then break them down for their materials later.

“Go ahead,” Nathan said.

“Which one?” she asked. “The blue or the green?”

Logan shrugged, “I’ll buy both if ya want.”

“Fine,” she said and putting a smile on her face she walked back to the clerk who was hovering near the clothing rack, waiting to find out what the verdict had been.

As the clerk rung up her purchases, the three SHIELD agents entered the shop. Nathan recognized one of them as the Cowboy they had seen pass them in the truck earlier and he walked over to greet them while Logan paid for Angel’s clothes. The two men accompanying the Cowboy had very short dark hair and tanned skin. They both wore loose dark grey T-shirts with a breast pocket tucked into blue jeans above black Nike shoes. One of them had a small notepad and pen in his shirt pocket. Angel sensed that all three were solid muscle underneath their clothes and combined with their short hair, it reminded her that SHIELD was just another type of military organization. She felt more out of place than ever.

The SHIELD agents just nodded and smiled at Angel and Logan while Nathan led them all towards the stairs. Angel, having been to The Fez before, took the lead up the staircase but soon regretted it as she felt the eyes of the men behind her watching her ass as they ascended to the second floor. She knew that what they were doing was a normal male reaction, but she was more self-conscious knowing she’d become a feral mutant and sending out sexual pheromones. It made her wonder if any of the agents were mutants or, more importantly, feral mutants.

The staircase they had taken was also the emergency stairs and went from ground level to the top of the building. On the second floor landing next to the elevator shaft was the entrance to The Fez restaurant. The upper corners of the doorways had been filled to create shallow domes and the walls had been painted in pale beige with friezes of tile along the ceiling. Large murals of faux windows looked out on courtyard gardens or beautifully painted domed mosques. Strategically placed potted flowers, palm and dwarf fruit trees matching those in the faux windows completed and complimented the Islamic décor.

“Whoa!” Angel exclaimed once she saw the changes that had been wrought on the restaurant. “They really changed the place.”

Another dark haired young man, possibly a younger brother to the one in the gift shop by their resemblance, stood near the entrance at a small kiosk. He looked up and smiled at Angel’s exclamation. “Welcome to The Fez. You’ve been here before?” he asked her. His eyes quickly traveled up and down her body, taking note of a lack of rings on her fingers and resting briefly on her cleavage before rising to her eyes.

“Yeah, about six months ago,” she answered.

He nodded and his smile grew wider, “Welcome back. We’ve made some changes since you were here last. You’ve already seen the new gift shop downstairs and here in the restaurant, they’ve removed all the old Casablanca décor including the bar and dance floor and replaced it with a brighter family orientated atmosphere. We now have rooms suitable for business meetings and large parties on the floor above. In a few weeks, the top floors will be finished and The Fez will again be a fully functional Hotel.”

“Oh, wow,” Angel said, “that’s wonderful! Would it be possible to get a tour?”

“The hotel rooms aren’t finished yet,” the host said regretfully. “Only the three bottom floors are open to the public for safety reasons.”

Angel nodded affably, apparently easily dismissing the inability to view the rooms upstairs. “Did you change the menu, too?”

“Not by much. We have the same staff as before so if you had a favorite meal and it’s not on the menu, they can still make it for you.” He pulled several menus from within the kiosk and, finally paying attention to the men he asked, “I’m sorry, I didn’t ask, but are you all together?”

“Yes,” Nathan answered. “You said you have meeting rooms upstairs. How big are they?”

“Our smallest rooms fit ten people comfortably and we can provide materials such as whiteboards or overhead projectors for an additional fee. Our largest rooms are suitable for groups up to fifty. All the rooms have connecting doors so we can accommodate just about any size group, but we request advance notice for anything over twenty.” He looked inside the kiosk again, “I have a pamphlet—”

“That won’t be necessary,” Nathan cut him off. “Could we use one of the smaller rooms right now?”

“Yes, if you’d like,” he said. “There are extra fees—”

“That’s fine,” Nathan interrupted.

Without missing a beat, their host said, “Follow me.” He led the way up the stairs to the next floor.

Logan grabbed Nathan’s arm and held him, allowing the others to get ahead of them. “You sure about this?” he asked under his breath.

Nathan whispered, “I want Angel to get a good look around.” Logan couldn’t fault his logic, being on the second floor and unable to wander the restaurant at will was entirely different from being on the third floor with unlimited access to the entire length of the building. Even if there were cameras and listening devices in the walls of the conference rooms, Angel would still be able to do her job. He let go of Nathan’s arm and they caught up to the rest of the group at the head of the stairs.

It was obvious the owners of the hotel hadn’t changed the layout of the rooms when they decided upon the function of the third floor. Long hallways separated blocks of rooms where all the doors stood open waiting for occupants. Angel could sense where they had knocked out or built walls to enlarge or shorten the rooms. Architecturally speaking, the building was still structurally sound since they hadn’t tried to remove any of the major supports. A metal gate and Do Not Cross construction tape barred the stairs up to the fourth floor.

Their host led them to a small room just off the landing. It was decorated in the same style as the restaurant. It held a central table that could easily accommodate ten people, fourteen if they pushed it plus a narrow table the lay against the far wall. Both tables were covered with white tablecloths.

After they had all filed into the room, their host asked Nathan, “Would you like a coffee or tea service brought up?”

“Coffee,” Nathan said as he sat down in the seat at the far end of the table.

Their host waited until they were all seated before he started handing out the menus. He noticed in passing that the short man with the cowboy hat led the woman to sit to the right of the businessman while the others sat across from them. “If you like,” he said, “I can take your drink orders now.”

“Coffee,” Nathan repeated.

“Yes, sir,” their host replied, “I’ll have the service brought up, but is there anything else?”

“Water?” Angel asked.

“Certainly,” he replied.

“You need caffeine,” Logan murmured to Angel.

“And a Diet Pepsi?” Angel added.

“Yes, Miss.” He glanced back and forth between the men who hadn’t announced a choice, “Anything else?” When they shook their heads negatively, he said, “I’ll have your server bring up a coffee service, some pitchers of water and Diet Pepsi for the lady.” He left the room, leaving the door open behind him.

For a few moments the X-men and SHIELD agents eyed each other before Nathan asked, “Angel? Are we private?”

She took a moment to make sure she didn’t sense any listening devices before she replied, “The only security cameras on this floor are at both ends of all the hallways and on the landing.”

“Nothing in this room?” he pressed.

“As far as I know,” she said with a smile.

“Excellent,” Nathan said. “Before our waiter shows up we better introduce ourselves.” He turned to the SHIELD agents, “You know our names and what we can do. Who are you?”

SHIELD agent Chase, pushed his cowboy hat back on his head and asked, “Name’s John Chase and we don’t know what SHE can do.”

“If we stick together long enough or your superior tells me you have clearance, I’ll tell you,” Nathan replied.

“Steve Adams,” said the man with the notebook and pen in his pocket. He had blue eyes and a dimple in his chin as if a child had pressed a finger into it and it had stayed depressed.

“Luke Mills,” the last agent said. He had brown eyes and a definite American Indian cast to his features including a hawk-like nose.

“As for clearance,” John said with a smile, “we’re part of a special division specifically created to handle out of control domestic situations.”

Chapter 24

“Yeah, Babe, I’ll—” Sean eyed Nathan Summers reflection as it disappeared inside The Fez. “Shit, Hun, I gotta go.” He turned to look directly at the hotel, half an ear to his girl’s reply. “Yeah, yeah, I’ll call you. Later.”

He hung up and immediately dialed another number. He leaned back against the window casement behind him and waited for the other line to pick up. At the gruff answer on the other line he said, “I followed them to The Fez hotel in the raghead dist—” he was interrupted by the voice on the phone. “Yeah, The Fez. Six-story hotel on West El Dorado—” the voice interrupted him again. “’kay. Ya want me to wait and see if they come out?” Sean glanced at the hotel checking to make sure his quarry hadn’t left the building. “Alright, can do. Whatever ya want.”

He hung up and dialed another number. “Hey, my man, you up for some action?” he asked with a smile.

XXXXXXXXXX

The Host of The Fez restaurant was walking back down the third floor stairs from having taken the orders of his new patrons when the phone at his kiosk rang. He grabbed the receiver on the second ring, “Thank you for calling—”

“Kutty, two men and a woman entered your building a short time ago,” a deep masculine voice stated in Arabic.

The Host’s gaze deadened and his dark eyes quickly darted around the restaurant floor, taking note of the seated customers, picking out groups of individuals. “Can you describe them,” Kutty responded mildly, keeping the discourse in Arabic.

“The woman has long blonde hair and is accompanied by a tall, white haired man and a short, dark haired man.”

“Ah, yes, but they were not alone. There were three other men with them when they arrived. They requested one of the banquet rooms on the third floor.” Kutty snapped his fingers and caught the attention of one of the bus boys that was exiting the kitchen in preparation to clean a table that had recently been vacated. The young man hurried over and stood awaiting orders.

“I do not know about the three men, I was not told about them, but be aware that the woman and two men I have described are creatures of the lowest form, blaspheming mutants, agents of the X-men. Your position may be compromised.”

“I will take action,” Kutty said stiffly, turning away from his customers, his spine rigid and face a mask of determination.

“You will do no such thing,” the voice responded quickly. “I do not want you destroying all of our carefully laid plans by an act of rash bravado. This is a delicate matter and requires finesse.”

“They are isolated,” Kutty insisted. “It would be nothing to—”

“Get yourselves killed!” the voice replied angrily. “Did you not hear me? They are X-men, filthy mutants trained as assassins and spies! The tall man has the power to see into your mind and know your secrets, the other has the soul and claws of a shaidan, a demon. Do not send anyone who knows our plans to serve them if you value your life and those of your men.”

Kutty let out an angry sigh, “Then what do you want me to do?”

“Post guards and don’t let them wander to the upper floors. Find out why they are there.”

“First you say do nothing and then you say post guards,” Kutty said in confusion. “What do you want me to do?”

“Unless they are acting with the police, X-men tend to avoid conflict as much as possible wherever there might be witnesses. It would damage their reputation and hurt their cause to further mutant rights. You have a building full of people, placed correctly, you have witnesses and a reason to surround them with your own men.”

“I understand,” Kutty replied. “Thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.”

Together, Kutty and the voice intoned, “Ameen.”

After Kutty hung up the phone he turned to his subordinate, “Gather the men on the fifth floor and have Farid come down when they’re assembled.”

The boy nodded and ran to the elevator.

END PART 24


Email for feedback: SaraFimm8868@yahoo.com