Master Of Puppets

by Morgana

Email: morganalebeau@yahoo.com

Fandom: X-Men

Parings: Remy/Bobby and Logan/Warren

Rating: NC-17 for adult themes and content.

Disclaimer; Gambit and X-Men is (c)copyright of Marvel Comics. No copyright infringement is intended.

Warning; This story indirectly addresses past rape issues, mentions child abuse that one of the characters suffered. Angst!

Status: finished.

Series/Sequel: The third in the Fallen Angel Arc.

Summary: Remy learns his true identity and Sinister is going to do his best to get Remy back in to his lab. Luckily, Magneto and Bobby are keeping a close eye on Gambit. Warren and Logan realize that they're attracted to each other and take their relationship to the next level

 

Master Of Puppets

by Morgana

 

"No, please don’t, please…"

A scream, filled with pain and misery fled through the room and Logan sighed deeply. Warren’s sleep was often filled with nightmares but tonight they were exceptionally bad. Apparently the relaxed mood they’d spent Christmas in hadn’t helped much. "Wings, wake up," Logan said firmly as the man resting in his arms started to pound his chest in fear. Quickly he released Warren but continued to talk to him, knowing the sound of his voice could break the nightmare’s hold. These last few nights had also taken a toll on him. He’d hardly slept, listening to Warren’s heartbeat and softly whispering words of comfort. "Wake up, Warren," he repeated as Angel continued to thrash on the bed. Deciding against dragging the man back to reality he used a technique he’d discovered two nights ago and seemed to work well. ‘Ange, wake up, Ange." For some reason hearing that name calmed Warren’s sleep and Logan privately thanked Remy. "Ange?" he repeated and the thrashing stopped. Warren’s eyes flashed open with a frightening intensity and his lips started to form unspoken words.

Warren’s mind was running in circles. The last thing he remembered was being held down in the tunnels and losing his wings… "Logan?" he stuttered and grabbed his hand. Logan had become his anchor during the last few days… and nights.

"Ya had a bad dream, kid," Logan said soothingly and slowly raised a hand so Warren could see what he was doing.

Warren had pushed himself against the headboard, resting his back against it. His fingers were clawing the sheets and sweat poured out of every pore. His eyes stared in to Logan’s and he focused on them. "A dream. It was only a dream," but it had been so much more to him. He’d been back in those tunnels, had relived the pain. Seeing Logan’s probing glance he drew in a deep breath. "I’m awake. Sorry I woke you," and ashamed for freaking out like that Warren turned his head to the other side. It was only then that he realized Logan was still wearing his clothes. Normally he’d wear some kind of Japanese kimono. "Have you been out?" he asked and pulled up the blankets. The first nights he’d felt intimidated by Logan’s presence, but after the nightmares had set in Warren had grown to feel thankful Logan stayed close. A close bond had formed between them, which he couldn’t quite explain; neither did he want to examine it.

"Went to check on our Cajun. Ya ain’t the only one sufferin’ from nightmares." Remy’s scream had drawn his attention as he had made his way over to Warren’s room and after smelling Bobby’s scent he’d quickly left the corridor.

"You care a lot about him, don’t you?" Warren stated and accepted the glass of water Logan handed him.

"Yeah… but there is more," Logan admitted and carefully slid into position next to Warren, offering him his shoulder to rest his head on, pleased when Warren accepted the invitation. Wrapping an arm around Angel’s frame he absentmindedly stroked the golden hair, listening to soft sighs and desperate moans. Warren had told him everything he remembered about his time as Death and the terror he had felt when he’d lost his wings. Tears had dripped from Angel’s cheeks and Logan had never pushed for more. Maybe now it was *his* time to open up a little to Worthington. Why? Because he had started to grow attached to Angel, something he’d never thought possible. But the man whose head rested on his shoulder wasn’t the playboy he had barely managed to tolerate. This was someone different, someone in pain and a person who deserved to be treated with respect. //That’s why I’m opening up to him//.

"Got a confession to make," Logan started, feeling the sudden change in Warren’s breathing.

Warren looked up and was shocked, seeing the sadness in Logan’s eyes. "What kind of confession?" forgetting about his own misery he listened closely, hoping to somehow return Logan’s confidence and trust.

Awkwardly, Logan sought for words. "I failed our Cajun a long time ago."

Warren sat upright to study him. "What are you talking about?" He felt strangely protective when it came down to Remy.

"It musta been… almost 20 years ago when I was in New Orleans," Logan sighed and threw back his head as if to clear it of dark images. "I was walkin’ the streets when someone tried to steal my wallet. When I looked down I stared in to red and black eyes."

"What?" Warren stuttered, looking impatiently at Logan to continue.

"Didn’t know ‘bout Xavier at the time, but… I did know the kid was a mutant and was bein’ hassled for it. They yelled Devil boy when I caught him." Logan locked eyes with Warren. "The kid was starved, his clothes had holes in them and the skin shinin’ through was bruised all over."

"I don’t get it," Warren commented, totally focusing on Logan. "You met Remy before?"

"Yeah, wish I had known what I do now," Logan grunted and closed his eyes. "Wanted to help the kid, bought him food and when I turned my back to pay for it, he was gone."

"But you could have tracked him down!" Warren stated upset.

"Yeah, tried hard to find the kid, but… I failed. Even stayed a little longer and asked ‘round where I could find the boy." Logan’s voice dropped. "But no one wanted to talk ‘bout ‘that white trash’, ‘devil spawn’ as they called him and in the end I had to give up."

"And now you’re feeling guilty?" Warren ventured. He’d never before seen Logan display such vulnerability.

"Yeah, ya can call it that," Logan muttered. "Kid doesn’t remember we met before. Ya know, sometimes, in my sleep, I still see those… empty eyes."

"Logan!" Warren didn’t know how to react. Logan had bared part of his soul and he felt honored by that trust, but… "You tried your best," he said determined.

"But I screwed up," Logan muttered. "I could have gotten him outa there."

"It wasn’t your fault," Warren pointed out to him. "However, it does explain why you care this much about him."

Logan laughed embittered. "When he joined the team I recognized those eyes and I wondered ever since… would things have turned out different for Gumbo if I had found him?"

Warren shook his head. "I don’t know about that, but I know Remy thinks you’re a good friend." Warren smiled saddened. "So that’s how you knew what happened to Remy as a child?"

"Yeah, that’s also why I’m trying to get him to talk ‘bout it, but he’s stubborn!"

"Thankfully he’s got Bobby to pull him through and I… have you." He wasn’t sure where that came from, but it was the truth. "I don’t know what I would have done without your support."

"X-Men take care of each other," Logan growled, low in his throat.

"Yes, you’ve got a valid point there." Warren moved away from Logan and started for the bathroom. "I’m going to take a quick shower." His clothes were sticky with sweat and he needed to clear his head after Logan’s admission.

"Make sure Drake didn’t freeze the water!" Logan called out and switched on the TV. He was way to awake to get back to sleep and he wanted to keep an eye on Warren anyway. It had taken him a while before he had been able to admit to himself that he liked Wings after all. There was something eternally sad in those eyes, which shouldn’t be there.

He listened to the soft splashing of water and tried to concentrate on the program on TV, but his eyes strayed towards the bathroom every so often. Checking the time he realized 30 minutes had already passed. Making no sound at all, he got up from the bed and pushed the bathroom door ajar. His breath caught, seeing Warren sitting on the floor of the shower cabin, arms wrapped around himself, crying softly.

"Wings," he sighed and opened the door after grabbing some towels. "What happened?" he whispered softly, turning the water off and wrapping the towels around the shivering form. Warren’s wings trembled and his body shook violently. Lifting Warren from the floor he carried him to the bed and placed him down in the center, pulling blankets over the sobbing man. "Talk to me, Ange." At times like this, it was the only name Warren reacted to.

"I… look at this… blue skin… Death…. Horsemen…" Warren whispered lost and grabbed Logan’s waist. "I don’t want to see the blood."

"Easy now, Wings." Logan pulled him close to his chest and soothingly stroked Warren’s back. The blue skin would always remind the man of what had happened and nothing could change that. "Ya’re safe now, kid. Apocalypse can’t get his dirty hands on ya now."

Shivering violently, Warren looked in to Logan’s eyes. Surprising them both, his hand suddenly caressed Logan’s face and a shudder racked Warren’s body. "Do you hate me?"

Logan swallowed hard hearing that tone. "I don’t hate ya, kid," he said compassionately.

Warren read the truth in those eyes hovering above him and trembled. He’d always been attracted to women, beautiful ones and a lot of them, but never to a man and certainly not someone like Wolverine who at times scared the shit out of him, but… right now he needed Logan’s strength, those survival instincts and he was willing to surrender, craving Logan’s compassion.

Logan would never make the first move. Warren realized that as well.// That would be taking advantage of me, wouldn’t it? Why has it taken me all this time to figure them out? Remy and Logan… I never took the time to get to know them, really get to know them.// And he blamed himself for being narrow minded. "Logan, I…" and brushed a finger over the man’s lips. The look Logan gave him showed doubt. "It’s okay," Warren whispered, a little scared and excited at the same time. "I think I feel the same way about this as you do, but… I need to take this slow. I’m still getting used to seeing Bobby and Remy together and…" It was true. Seeing Remy and Bobby happy had made him think. He’d never thought it possible for two men to connect on such an elemental level.

Logan nodded his head; aware he’d given away too much of his feelings, uncertain why Warren was saying this. Was it because Worthington felt grateful or was it something else? Something he didn’t dare hope for. "I don’t want gratitude," he pointed out.

"I didn’t say that because of gratitude," Warren whispered confused. "But… hold me?"

Logan reacted at once, pulled him closer, still stroking that golden hair. "Don’t make any hasty decisions, Wings or ya will hate yarself for it later."

Warren knew Logan’s words were true, but didn’t care. "I need you," he stuttered and rested his head against Logan’s chest, his arms wrapped around the other man’s waist. "I don’t know anything for sure any longer. My world has fallen apart and I’m trying hard to make any sense of it and you," he locked eyes with Logan, "are the only one who truly understands me."

"Cajun," Logan started, but Warren cut him short. "It’s different with Remy. He didn’t know about Sinister’s plans for the Morlocks. He’s one of Sinister’s victims. And you kid, are one of Apocalypse’s victims. The bastard messed with yar head."

"I’m not sure I needed much convincing." Angel failed in keeping back his tears. "If only I could remember!"

"Why not ask Jean to…"

"No!" Warren yelped. "I don’t want her to know…"

"Wings… Ange, it’s okay if ya don’t wanna…" Logan calmed him. "But…" and he hesitated to breach this subject. "Where do ya wanna go from here?"

Warren licked his lips. "I’m not going to lie to you, Logan. I need you and I don’t know if… this is about love or commitment! Hell, right now I don’t know…" and his voice broke, shattering into tiny moans.

"I hear ya, kid," Logan whispered, knowing Warren had yet to find the truth himself. "We’ll take this slow." Looking down at those swimming eyes he cupped Warren’s chin in the palm of his hand. Slowly, he leaned in closer to brush Warren’s lips oh so gently, while his fingers trailed down blue skin to rest at the lower back. "This slow ‘nough?"

Warren nodded hesitantly. How could he ever explain his feelings, his needs?

"I know, Wings. I’ve been there, remember?"

"Yes, you have," Warren admitted. "It feels different though, kissing a guy…"

"Live and learn!" Logan chuckled relieved to see a weak smile on Warren’s face. "Why don’t ya try to get back to sleep?" He knew from pervious experiences that the nightmare wouldn’t return, not after Warren had screamed himself awake to get it out of his system.

"I feel bad for taking up this much of your time," Warren confessed, but snuggled up to his source of warmth.

"I offered my help, didn’t I?" Amused, Logan watched Warren shift position until he was safely tucked away in a firm embrace. "And if it means anythin’ to ya I kinda like that blue skin. Makes ya look exotic!"

"Never thought of it that way," Warren mumbled, half asleep. "You’ll stay here, won’t you?"

"Yeah, I will," Logan promised in a soft tone, wondering about Warren Worthington the third, asleep in his arms. It had been many years since he’d last committed himself to a relationship and he feared the consequences now. //But I won't let fear control me!//

///

//What the hell?// Looking around, Bobby suddenly knew he wasn’t in his bedroom any longer. Darkness surrounded him and he had to pinch his eyes to try and make any sense of his surroundings. Apparently he was inside an old warehouse. Roof leaking, raindrops dripped down onto his head and cursing softly, he started moving. //Think, Drake! What happened? I remember celebrating Christmas and later Remy’s birthday and yeah, Renard was up for it! But then… we went to sleep, so how did I end up here? And where is here?// Voices sounded in the distance and Bobby stopped in his tracks to locate the origin of the noise.

"Let’s find out if de mutie feels pain like we do!"

Another voice filled the room, yelling, "Devil boy, demon spawn!"

Yelps, moans and a terrified scream followed the abusive tirades.

//Oh boy//, Bobby thought stunned, //Can it be that Remy’s is having another nightmare and that the link drew me in?// Starting to run he focused on the obscenities, quickly covering the distance between him and the group of boys. They were kicking and throwing punches at something, someone lying on the floor and Bobby’s heart missed several beats, recognizing big red eyes in the dark. "Remy!" he yelled.

The boys turned around and seemed to consider attacking the newcomer as well, but then apparently decided against it and made a run for it.

"My God, Remy!" Bobby repeated and gasped seeing blood dripping down the boy’s face, he couldn’t be much older than ten. "Remy, what are you doing here?" he asked, kneeling next to the boy who was staring at him with confused eyes. Bobby started to wipe away the blood using his shirt, hating the way the boy flinched away from him. "You’re safe now," he whispered, wondering what to do. "Who were those kids?" The boy remained silent, eying him suspiciously. Bobby flinched himself when he discovered the bruises and bloody skin all over the boy’s body. The worn down shirt had been ripped apart and long auburn hair fell down his back.

"Remy, it’s me, Bobby. You’re having a nightmare," he said, hoping to get through to his lover. It was unsettling to actually be part of Remy’s disturbing past. "You’ve got to wake up, Remy." Bobby sighed as the expression in those red eyes changed slightly, hoping Remy had registered his remark.

"Bobby?" The boy questioned confused, as if tasting the name for the first time. "Must show y’ somethin’."

"Remy," Bobby started again after he’d wrapped his shirt around the boy’s too thin shoulders. "Is that why you brought me here? To show me this?"

"Non," the boy replied, "Not dis," and hesitantly took hold of Bobby’s hand, cringing as if trespassing.

"It’s okay," Bobby reassured him and softly squeezed the boy’s hand. "What is it you wanna show me?"

"Down dere," the boy said, pointing at the stairs leading into the cellar of the building. "It’s le diable, le demon…"

"Demon?" Bobby looked up questioningly. Something in that cellar absolutely terrified the boy who was clutching his hand. "Want me to check on it?" Bobby said, realizing there had to be a reason for his presence in Remy’s dream.

"Non, he’ll kill y’!" The boy cried and started pulling him back, but lacked the strength to succeed.

"We’ll go down there together," Bobby decided and determinedly lifted the boy, carrying him down the stairs. "Remy, trust me," he said chidingly when the boy fought him, trying to get his feet back on the ground. "I love you, Remy. But you’ve got to trust me."

The boy ceased his resistance and instead tried hiding in the embrace. "Don’ open de door."

Bobby shook his head. "I wanna know what’s frightening you, Remy." Slowly he opened the metal door and stepped into a… laboratory. "What?" he whispered, suddenly alert, wondering if he could transform into ice if necessary. "Where are we, Remy?"

"Ceci est l'enfer," the boy whispered petrified.

"Okay, you know I don’t understand French, Remy." Bobby looked about, seeing very expensive technical equipment.

"Hell," the boy mumbled and cringed, hearing a sound to his right. "Le diable, monsieur, we leave now?"

Bobby had registered the sound as well and cocked his head. What was still terrifying his lover after this many years?

"Looks like I have company. I have searched a long time for you, child."

Bobby froze hearing that voice and instinctively hugged the boy who was now crying, screaming and kicking in his arms to regain his freedom. "Sinister!" Bobby spat revolted.

"You brought back what is mine, Drake." Sinister’s smirk grew broader. "And I’m not letting my creation out of my sight ever again!"

///

Remy screamed, vocally as well as telepathically, screaming himself back to reality. Panting and terrified he opened his eyes to stare into Bobby’s. "Mon Dieu…" he moaned and threw himself into his lover’s arms.

Bobby whispered words of love as he stroked Remy’s back. //Sinister! What’s the bastard doing in your childhood memories?// Bobby used the link to pour reassurance and love into Remy’s thoughts. //I love you, Remy. You’re safe now. No one will hurt you!//

"What happened?" Remy asked in a choked voice.

"You had a nightmare." Bobby studied Remy’s red eyes. "Do you remember the dream?"

"Non," Remy whispered, inexplicable fear washing through him. "Non, I don’."

Loud banging on the door announced the arrival of other concerned teammates and Bobby knew the other telepaths had probably picked up on the nightmare as well. "Yes," he said softly, hugging Remy, caressing the silk hair.

"We… heard, saw…" Jean said, stepping inside, closely followed by the professor.

"He doesn’t remember the dream," Bobby told them and nodded his head as Jean asked him if she could comfort Remy as well.

Jean sat down, reached out and managed to lure Remy in to relaxing a little. "It’s over," she told Remy. "The nightmare is gone."

Remy nodded his head, feeling suddenly shy as he noticed that Logan, Warren and Storm were standing in the corridor, concern washing off them, aimed at him. "I’m feelin’ better," he whispered and leaned back in to Bobby’s embrace.

"We’ll talk about this tomorrow,’ Charles decided, knowing Bobby could comfort Remy best. But seeing most of his X-Men in the corridor he took great comfort in the fact that they had rushed down here to check on Remy.

"Want me to contact Hank?" Logan asked hesitantly, unwilling to intrude.

Bobby exchanged a glance with Remy.

"Non, dat ain’t necessary," Remy objected, "but," and he looked pleadingly at Jean, "maybe y’ could stay a lil’ longer?"

"Of course," Jean replied and telepathically told Scott she would keep Remy and Bobby company a little longer.

"Now, back to sleep!" Charles urged his X-Men and closed the door behind him.

"Professor?"

"Yes, Storm?"

"Will Remy be all right?" Her tone revealing concern as well as fear.

"I hope so." Charles noticed the expression on Logan’s face, but made no remark about it. "Remy can’t deal with this latency… it’s too much to handle without training." //And it’s so much stronger than I thought it would be! I wonder...// Charles sighed, looked at the door, sensed the pain hidden in Remy’s mind and knew they had a problem.

///

Bobby had snuck out of bed early to prepare breakfast and was now carrying the tray to his room. As he opened the door he realized that Remy was awake again. It had taken Jean and him one long hour to calm Remy down last night. The link still worked but he knew Remy was shielding his thoughts and reasoned it was because his lover didn’t want him to feel his pain. //But I want to help and how can I do that if you shut me out? I’m strong enough to handle your memories! Didn’t I prove that last night?// "Here, pancakes, juice and some coffee for my sleeping beauty," he said, trying to make Remy smile, but his attempt at humor failed. So Bobby placed the tray on the bed and opened the curtain to let in the sunlight. Remy cursed behind him at the sight of the bright light.

"Merde! Y’ didn’ have to do dat!" Remy complained irritated. Looking at the tray his stomach convulsed. He appreciated Bobby’s effort to get him something to eat, but… "Y’ eat it," Remy said and shoved the tray away from him.

"We’ve got to talk about last night," Bobby berated him as he sat down on the bed next to Remy.

"Non," Remy objected with a firm shake of his head.

"Remy, you can’t go on like this. You screamed yourself awake twice last night!" Bobby felt concerned, but frustration was building as well. "Jean offered to help you, so did the professor, why…"

"I don’ wanna talk to dem!" Remy exclaimed stubbornly and turned onto his left side, facing away from Bobby.

"Damn! Why do you have to be this stubborn?" Bobby’s tone grew stronger as he moved to the other side so he was face to face with his lover again. "Look, I know you’re hurting!"

Remy wanted to slide off the bed, but fed up with his lover’s behavior Bobby grabbed his wrists. "Remy, I felt your pain, I still feel it. You can’t run away from this!" Urged on by concern Bobby added, "Now get dressed. Jean and the professor are waiting for you in his study!"

Remy stared at Bobby, whose eyes glared at him. He’d never seen his lover this… aggressive, almost angry before. Because of the link he knew Bobby was acting out of concern but, was he really prepared to fight Bobby over this? In the back of his mind he was still scared to lose the one person who had shown him what unconditional love was all about.

Bobby released Remy’s wrists, got to his feet and walked out of the room without uttering another word.

Remy stared after him in disbelief. "I’m sorry, cher… but I’m scared," he whispered, now that no one could hear him. Not even looking at the food he got out of Bobby’s bed and slowly walked to his own room to get dressed. He couldn’t live without Bobby’s love and if facing his personal hell meant Bobby would continue to love him, he would do it. Slamming the door shut behind him he walked into the bathroom to splash some water onto his face. As he looked in the mirror he cursed his alien eyes and buried his fingernails deep in his palm until blood appeared. The pain brought him back to reality and he quickly wrapped a towel around his hand. After dressing in a black shirt and trousers, clothes that fit his dark mood, he hesitantly reached out to locate Bobby. He wasn’t going to reveal his presence though and kept the link as narrow as possible.

Bobby was still in the house, in the danger room to be exact and was trying hard to get the frustration out of his system. Slightly reassured Remy’s eyes dropped until they rested on his hand, his fingers and eventually the ring. Slowly he took it off, placed it on the windowsill and draped a sweater over his shoulders, the house suddenly feeling so much colder. Then he left his room to head for the professor’s study and failed in fighting the panic burning in the pit of his stomach.

///

"Bobby?" Scott cancelled the program that was running and stepped inside. It wasn’t like Drake to come here voluntarily. Something had to be bothering Bobby and he wanted to know what it was. They had worked so hard these last weeks to remember what this family was all about and he would rather die than let it slip away again. Maybe it was something that Logan had said, ‘X-Men take care of each other.’ For once Scott had to agree with Wolverine.

"Leave me alone, Scott. I’m not in the mood to talk to you," and Bobby forced himself to shift from ice to human form. "Why did you have to come down here anyway?"

Scott smiled weakly. Jean had updated him on the night’s events and he’d expected something like this to happen. "Is Remy giving you a hard time?" he asked, truly worried.

Bobby sighed and hesitantly made eye contact. "You weren’t there, Scott. We’ve faced some creeps over the years, but…"

"Yes?" Scott encouraged him.

"Sinister did something to Remy that still scares the shit out of him." He wasn’t sure he regretted the admission. Remy was so used to keeping everything a secret, while Bobby knew there was strength in acting as a team.

"When I looked in to those eyes…" Bobby took a step closer to Scott. Remy didn’t want to talk about this, but he had to confide in someone. "He couldn’t have been any older than ten, Scott and…"

Scott nodded his head. "Jean has told me bits and pieces," and he placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder, acknowledging to himself that Bobby had grown up a lot during these last few weeks. "I say we find out what Sinister did to Remy and make sure it never happens again." Remembering his own history with his personal Dr. Frankenstein he felt more than a little worried about Remy. "Did Sinister really say Remy was his creation?" Scott ventured gingerly.

Bobby nodded his head. "You wanna know something? I think that was the thing that freaked Remy out the most. He doesn’t know who his parents are and then this monster comes along and…"

"But…" Scott bit his lip. "It was only a dream, right?"

Bobby looked up helplessly. "Remy refuses to discuss it, telling me he doesn’t remember the dream, but I know he does!"

"The link?" Scott asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yeah, the link." Bobby’s hands turned in to fists. "And… I acted like a jerk while he was hurting."

Now that was something new and Scott raised an eyebrow. "Bobby?"

"I ran out on him, telling him to talk to the professor or…" Bobby’s eyes showed his pain as he looked at Scott’s visor, wondering what expression lay in those eyes. "I didn’t even have to end the threat. Remy knew what I was about to say."

"Lover’s quarrel…"Scott remarked and noticed Bobby’s angry glare. "First time, huh?"

"Scott…!"

"Let you in on a secret," Scott murmured, squeezing Bobby’s shoulder. "Sometimes tough love is the only thing that works."

Bobby shook his head. "You don’t know how… insecure and vulnerable Remy really is. He’s going to take this the wrong way."

"Then talk to him," Scott adviced. "Tell him why you kicked his butt."

Bobby smiled then, never expecting that particular remark to come from Scott. "Maybe you’re right. I’ll talk to him the moment Jean and the professor are done." The thing that bugged him most was that Remy hadn’t used the link to contact him ever since their fight. It felt dead, cold and very dark.

///

"Remy, I’m so glad you decided to accept our offer," Charles said in a soft tone, gesturing his student to sit down opposite Jean. Studying the Cajun he sensed hostility and… fear.

Jean nodded her head. "Please let us help you, Remy."

"Y’ can’ help me," Remy stated, determined not to let anyone into his mind. He’d already hurt Bobby last night and wouldn’t let it happen again.

Charles ignored the remark and said, "We can do two things, Remy. Pretend Jean and I don’t know what that nightmare was about and start from scratch or you’re going to act maturely and address it."

"Not fair," Remy whispered and glanced at Jean. What had she seen that one time when she had punctured his shields?

Charles approached his student, gesturing Jean to remain seated. "What is it going to be?"

"Don’ know," Remy whispered and started fidgeting with the fabric of his shirt. He almost accidentally started to charge it and stopped himself just in time.

Charles nodded towards Jean, resorting to the plan they’d discussed earlier. She’d already established a basic sense of trust with Remy and that’s what they needed most, Remy’s trust.

"Remy, why are you afraid?" Jean said directly, noting his flinch. Remy’s shields were back to their old strength and yet… "You’re hurting."

Remy stared at the floor, trying hard to pretend he wasn’t here. Why had Bobby forced him to do this?

"Are you afraid of Sinister?" Jean ventured, scanning for hints, leaking thoughts. "But you worked for him once… you weren’t afraid of him at that time, were you?"

Remy swallowed hard. Jean’s compassion and concern were his undoing, Finally, he whispered, "Last night was de first time I had dat dream."

Jean sighed relieved, composed herself and looked questioningly at the professor.

"Remy," Charles said, taking over. "Why does Sinister scare you? Because of that one dream?"

And suddenly it happened. Remy’s shields opened, the nightmare reappeared and they gasped from the intensity. Charles began to reprimand his student for his obvious lack of control, but stopped himself. It had taken Remy all these years to open up to someone. They had to act carefully and he forced himself to analyse every little detail of that dream.

Jean rocked under the impact as well, forgetting to breathe, seeing clones inside tanks, barely human, still growing, unrecognisable.

Remy suddenly realized what he’d done and cried out. He couldn’t show them this. It was hurting them and he called himself a fool for allowing it to happen. "I never meant to do dat," he said apologetically, stopping the flood of images.

Charles and Jean sighed in relief, but quickly reassured him that they were fine. Jean then decided another approach might be necessary. //Remy? Can you hear me?//

//Oui.//

// Sinister said something that scares you, what?// This was it, Jean realized. As long as Remy didn’t acknowledge his fear they wouldn’t get anywhere.

"His creation," Remy whispered broken.

"You don’t know who your parents are, do you?" Charles said, mentally recalling Remy’s file.

"Non… I don’ know," Remy admitted and finally faced his worst fear. "What if Sinister… made me? What if I’m ‘nother clone, like dem Marauders? I…" His voice faltered and Remy started to sob softly.

Jean sat down on the armrest and folded an arm around her friend. "Don’t doubt yourself, Remy. Sinister is a master at manipulating minds. Maybe it was something you heard him say once, but in a different context."

"But what if?" Remy asked again, scared to end the sentence.

Jean took a deep breath and pulled Remy closer. "We pushed you too far."

The professor agreed with her. "I’ll ask Robert to…"

//Non!// Remy cast vehemently.

"What?" Jean whispered surprised at the intensity of that thought.

"I can get back to my room. Don’ need a baby-sitter!" Remy got to his feet and walked over to the door. "Dis," and he gestured to himself, "is a mistake. It was de first and last time we talk ‘bout dis, compris?" He slammed the door shut and marched into the corridor, stood undecided and glared upstairs, sensing Bobby’s presence. "I can’ stay here," Remy whispered, grabbed his parka and left the mansion.

///

"Remy?" Bobby knocked on his lover’s door after finding his own room empty. "Are you in there? I wanna talk to you!"

Receiving no answer Bobby eventually pushed against the door, hoping it wasn’t locked. Uncertainly, he entered Remy’s room, shocked to realize that he hadn’t been here often. But as his eyes scanned it, his breath caught. On the windowsill was the ring. Quickly, he curled his fingers around it. //Shit! I’ve got to find Remy and explain everything to him! //

Running to the study he was stopped in his tracks as he almost bumped into Jean who was closing the door behind her. "Where’s Remy?" Bobby asked in an urgent, but shaky voice.

"Did the two of you have a fight?" Jean took in Bobby’s expression and added, "Tell me."

"Where’s Remy!" Bobby repeated.

"You just missed him. He was rather upset. Whatever you’re fighting about I suggest you…"

"The link, Jean. It’s gone!" Bobby whispered in panic. "What happened? Where is he?"

"Try the old church near the lake," Warren’s voice echoed through the corridor. "You might find him there, if not I’ll get the others to search for him."

"Thanks, Warren!" Bobby murmured, changed to ice and slid out of the corridor.

The professor appeared in the doorway. Concerned, he looked to Jean. "Contact me the moment they return," and closed the door to contact Henry McCoy in the medlab.

///

//Remy, please! I didn’t mean it like that! You don’t understand! They can help you!// He concentrated on his lover, hoping for a sign of life. //Please be in that church, please Remy! // The ring was frozen to his hand as he hurried through the snow-covered landscape. As the church appeared he reached for the link. Nothing. Sliding into the church he searched the snow for fresh footprints and at last he found some, leading in to the cellar. "Remy?" he called desperately. Only silence answered him and Bobby shifted back to human form. "Remy?" He repeated, vividly remembering the fear and pain he’d felt last night, Remy’s pain. Remy’s fear. A sound from behind caused Bobby to turn and ignoring the angel statues he ran back towards the entrance. "Remy!" The Cajun was almost out the door, but paused on hearing his voice. "Why are you running away from me?" he whispered, barely audible as he reached his lover’s side. "Look at me, please." Remy raised his eyes and Bobby’s heart thumped loudly at seeing the tears in them. "You left this in your room, why?" and he extended his hand to show Remy the ring.

Remy trembled, avoiding Bobby’s eyes again. "Y’ can’ want me. Y’ deserve better."

"I thought we discussed this some time ago," Bobby said sadly. "I’m sorry I got that upset, but… it hurts to see you in pain, knowing it doesn’t have to be like that. I don’t know how long you’ve lived with this pain," he paused and curled his fingers around Remy’s, noticing the marks of fingernails on his palm, but not commenting on it. "But I want you to stop hurting. That’s why I was upset when you refused to talk to the professor. They wanna help, Remy."

Remy shook his head. "Dat’s what I’m tryin’ to tell y’, cher. No one can help me."

Slowly, Bobby enfolded Remy in his arms. "Why?" he whispered and ignored Remy’s attempt to pull away from him, tightening his embrace and brushing his lovers lips with his. "You can tell me. I love you and won’t ever leave you."

"I don’ wanna lose y," Remy finally replied.

"Why are you this scared?" Bobby asked, sliding the ring back into place and leading Remy to one of the benches where they sat down.

"Y’ heard what Sinister said." Remy allowed Bobby to hold him, knowing it was probably the last time he would ever be this close to Drake. "Y’ can’ love his… creation," he whimpered, and tears escaped his eyes.

Bobby smiled. "You’re drawing conclusions because you had one freaking dream about Sinister?" //How insecure are you? It was a dream, Remy and because of that you think you’re a clone, one of his experiments? We need to get to the bottom of this and prove you wrong!// "Remy, I don’t care about Sinister," he said firmly and forced Remy to return his gaze. "I love you, Remy and I’ll kick Sinister’s butt the next time we fight the bastard. I won’t allow him to torment your dreams like that."

"But what if it’s de trut’? Remy objected. "I do remember dis man takin’ me to some kinda medlab an… dere was blood. What if I’m ‘nother of his experiments? A clone or…"

"Don’t even go there, Remy." Bobby admonished him. "Besides you never said it was Sinister taking you to a medlab, so you can rule him out. Open the link again? Please? I miss you."

"Non, dat ain’t a good idea," Remy objected, but his resolve sounded weak.

"Please? With strawberries and whipped cream on top? Or maybe ice cream?" Bobby teased gently and thanked God when Remy’s smile returned.

"Y’ll have t’ feed m’ dose strawberries," Remy whispered, uncertain why Bobby still wanted to be with him.

"The link, Remy," Bobby reminded him, pressing his lips to that sensitive spot beneath Remy’s left ear.

"Y’ ain’t playin’ fair, cher."

//Cher! How I missed you calling me that, Remy!// Bobby thought, hoping Remy had opened the link again. "Let’s go home? You feel cold."

Remy slowly nodded his head. "I’m scared," he admitted in a choked voice.

"I know." Panic and fear were quickly invading his mind. "But we’re in this together, remember? You and me! I love you, Remy."

"I hope y’ still love me after Sinister…" Afraid to end that thought Remy shrugged his shoulders. "I better close de link at night…"

"No, you won’t do that," Bobby whispered concerned. "I’ll be there for you when you need me. Leave the link open."

Remy shuddered. "I need to know why Sinister’s in my dreams," he finally admitted to himself. "I need to know if I’m a clone or…"

"I’m certain the professor already has a plan to find out just who you are," Bobby promised and together they started their walk back to the mansion.

///

//"Professor?// Jean sent, //Remy is back.//

//Excellent, ask him to step inside,// Charles turned his chair towards the door, and saw that Bobby was accompanying Remy.

"You wanted to see us?" Bobby said as they stepped inside. Remy’s reluctance to face the professor again was tiptoeing in to his mind and he tightened the embrace.

"Yes," Charles confirmed. "It’s time for me to assume control over this situation. I waited much too long before finally addressing it." Looking into Remy’s eyes he added, "And I owe you an apology for that."

Remy was about to deny that statement, when the professor raised his hand to silence him.

"The two of you will leave the mansion in one hour. That gives you enough time to pack."

"Leave?" Bobby asked stunned.

"You’ll arrive in Paris in 12 hours. Storm already made all arrangements. A change of scenery might be just the thing you need, Remy." Charles took in their surprised expressions. "But before you go," and he made sure Remy knew he meant this seriously, "you’ll visit the Medlab."

"Why?" Remy asked.

"Henry will fill you in. Hopefully we’ll have some answers when you get back from Paris!"

"C’mon!" Bobby stated enthusiastically. "We’re going to Paris."

Remy didn’t share Bobby’s feelings of enthusiasm however. //I don’ wanna leave. What if de nightmares return?//

//You’ve got Bobby and deep down inside you know he’s all you need,// Charles chided him. //Now get packing or the plane will leave without you!//

///

Hôtel Normandy <http://www.hotel-normandy.com/>

"Look! It’s a four poster bed!" Bobby exclaimed, excitedly jumping on to it and ending up sprawled all over, face down and immediately hogging the pillow. Grinning he looked behind him, Remy had already put down their luggage.

"Merde, I’m tired," Remy admitted and slowly fell onto the bed. Staring at the ceiling he couldn't help smiling, as little cupids aimed their arrows at him. "Looks like Ange has cousins here, non?" Bobby’s smirk made his heart beat a little faster. "I don’ understand how y’ managed to sleep on de plane," he said and closed his eyes.

"Well," Bobby turned on to his left side and studied his lover who looked too tired. "Why don’t you try and catch up on that sleep? I’ll get my hands on some tickets for the sub…"

"Metro," Remy interrupted him lazily.

"And ask reception if they know of a nice little restaurant." Thanks to the time zone it was only 1700 hours yet.

"We should contact de professor," Remy remarked sleepily.

"I’ll do that too!" Bobby said and placed a kiss on the tip of Remy’s nose. "I’ll even unpack."

"D’accord." Remy curled up and was quickly asleep.

"You really are sleeping beauty!" Bobby joked, knowing Remy could still hear him.

//T’ought princes liked to kiss deir sleepin’ beauty,// Remy sent in to his mind, too tired to actually talk.

"I just did that!" Bobby objected amused, but brushed his lover’s lips nonetheless.

The room was comfortably furnished and after removing Remy’s boots he took a step back to make sure his lover was warm and cosy. Whistling softly he started to unpack and already regretted the fact that it would only be a three-day’s trip.

//Cher? Still dere?//

Bobby sighed softly and concentrated on the link. //Yeah! Of course I am!// A contented sensation flowed into his mind and he hoped the nightmares wouldn’t return. He still wasn’t sure why the professor had insisted they go on this trip right now! But maybe the professor was right and Remy needed a change of scenery. Picking up the phone he dialled the number. It took him several attempts to explain to reception what he wanted and wished Remy had taught him some French. In the end he succeeded in securing a few addresses of nice restaurants and he returned to the bed to sit down.

Thus far Remy’s dreams had been peaceful and Bobby couldn’t sense any lingering nightmare. He felt immensely grateful that Remy trusted him enough to keep the link open, vividly remembering his own panic as it had briefly disappeared after their quarrel. Although he had slept just fine during the flight, Bobby spooned himself against Remy’s warm body and wrapped his arms around him, guarding his dreams and keeping Sinister away.

///

"Remy?" Bobby whispered, on the edge of waking up. Something warm and very pleasurable was twirling through his mind and as he opened his eyes he realized Remy was kissing him in his sleep. Those sensual lips caressed his and Bobby greedily granted his lover a duel with his tongue. //Remy? Can you hear me?// Concentrating hard, he hoped Remy would pick up on that thought.

Hands found a way inside his shirt, tugged at the waistband, as lips seduced him to continue this exploration. Bobby groaned, more from the mental heat inside his mind than from the physical stimulation. The link was wide open, allowing him to feel every aspect of Remy’s arousal. //Not that I’m complaining, Remy, but you could wake up, you know.// Passion almost overwhelmed him as Remy’s fingers curled themselves around his burgeoning erection. //But why does this feel wrong?// Bobby wondered mystified. Then he realized why he felt this uncomfortable.

Twined tightly together their bodies floated two feet above the bed. "Remy?" he stuttered. "REMY!" he yelped and suddenly they crashed back on to the bed.

The shock woke Remy and his sleepy eyes quickly turned in to panic. "Cher? Why be upset?" Remy whispered, instinctively trying to sooth his lover’s mind.

Bobby searched those eyes and reached the conclusion that Remy had no idea what had occurred and he wasn’t going to tell him now. It would probably scare the hell out of his lover who still looked fatigued. "I guess this time I was the one having a nightmare."

Remy eyed him suspiciously. "Den why didn’ I feel dat?"

"Hey, don’t ask me!" Bobby covered quickly, "I’m not the telepath here!" But he swallowed hard as he admitted to himself what had just transpired. Apparently Remy had more hidden talents than anyone had thought. Telekinesis, Bobby shivered slightly, wondering what other abilities were going to surface. He’d never heard about a mutant with that many abilities. What if…? No! He wasn’t going to even consider that Remy might be one of Sinister’s experiments! Remy had over reacted to that dream and that was it! Now that his lover felt safe the memories he’d locked away were surfacing, but their forms were tangled and he suspected Remy was mixing up memories from different events.

"Hungry?" Bobby asked, trying to distract Remy, it probably helped that his own stomach growled loudly at the thought of food. "They told me of a nice little restaurant just a few blocks away. You’ll have to order though!" Bobby said jokingly. "My French is… limited to a few words, cher," he added to lure Remy in to smiling, which the Cajun did.

"Oui, I’m hungry," he admitted, but was reluctant to let go of Bobby’s warmth.

"Then what are we waiting for?" Bobby asked, rose from the bed and pulled Remy to his feet. Desperately he tried to remember the name of the restaurant and suddenly he hesitated, realizing what the name actually meant.

Remy however, read it in his thoughts before Bobby had decided on what to do. "Y’ picked a ‘gay’ café? Le Diable des Lombards?" and shook his head, wondering why it had to be that name.

"Hey, they told me it’s very popular and the terrace is the place to be seen, great for people-watching too. C’mon, Remy, please?"

//A ‘gay’ restaurant?// Remy repeated a little amused, the confusion which had occupied him a moment earlier forgotten.

//Please?//

//Y’ don’ have to beg, cher.// Remy smiled. //We’ll go.//

///

The first thing Bobby noticed on their arrival was that several men nodded appreciatively at Remy. Feeling a first sting of jealousy he possessively claimed his lover’s hand. Remy’s soft, amused mental chuckle drifted in to his mind, but Bobby wasn’t amused at all. //Just don’t start flirting, aright?// Bobby sent using the link.

//I’m all y’rs, cher,// Remy assured him.

They followed the waiter to a table at the back of the restaurant and Bobby ordered some red wine, while Remy studied the menu. "Are y’ sure ‘bout de wine, cher?" Remy asked a little uncomfortably. The punch might have not affected him, but…

//Stop worrying, Remy.// Bobby smiled warmly. //I’ll make sure you behave yourself.//

Remy’s eyes narrowed in suspicion. //Sure y’re not jus’ after ‘nother conversation wid Renard?//

Bobby chuckled merrily. "Remy!" he said chidingly and placed his order. Remy did the same and leaned back in the chair. Bobby studied him. Remy appeared calm and comfortable and none of his nightmares had surfaced during the catnap. "They’re still looking at you!" he told Remy.

"Dey’re starin’ at de sunglasses, cher." He’d put them on to make sure they wouldn’t attract any unwanted attention.

"I hate it when you have to hide your eyes like that," Bobby admitted sincerely.

Remy didn’t reply, as the waiter returned to serve their drinks and starters. Part of his brain still hadn’t registered yet that they were in Paris, still expecting to wake up drenched in sweat at the mansion.

//Are you okay?// Bobby asked concerned, sensing his lover’s confusion.

"Oui," Remy whispered and nodded his head. Studying Bobby he licked his lips, remembering the first time they’d made love and suddenly found himself wanting Bobby physically. He wanted to re-experience the feel of that naked skin underneath his fingertips and…

//Remy!// Bobby moaned, almost instantly erect receiving that thought.

Remy’s smirk broadened. //Maybe tonight I’m in de mood to eat y’ as dessert?// he hinted.

Bobby flushed and stared at the floor, his hands, anywhere was fine as long as he wasn’t looking at Remy’s grin. "We better hurry up eating dinner then!"

"D’accord," Remy whispered. "I want dessert!"

///

"You like this place, don’t you?" Bobby asked as they exited the metro and stepped back on to the street again.

"Oui," Remy admitted and smiled warmly. "Wanna go for a walk?" he asked and pointed at the Seine. In the distance the glass stained windows of the Notre Dame appeared as a beacon.

"Sure, why not?" Bobby relished the calm and comfort Remy radiated and wrapped an arm around his lover’s waist. Even at this late hour, couples seemed to everywhere, making out; kissing and the soft noise coming from a café brought him back to reality.

Walking along the banks of the Seine, Remy glanced casually at the outlines of several ancient buildings. "What do y’ want to do tomorrow?" he asked eventually.

"Stay in bed?" Bobby quipped, but then dismissed the answer. "No, we’ll go sightseeing, climb the Eiffel tower and maybe check out the Louvre? That is, if you promise not to try and steal the Mona Lisa!"

"Haven’ used my t’ievin’ skills in a long time," Remy realized, feeling a little melancholy. "Might have lost my touch!"

A couple, consisting of two young women kissing and giggling, passed them by and Bobby giggled in return. "It feels so good to be here, Remy."

Remy had already picked up on that telepathically. "An’ I love bein’ here wid y’."

///

As they arrived at their hotel, Bobby collected the key and together they headed for their room.

It was then that Remy suddenly turned around, feeling watched, feeling… //Somethin’s out dere, cher,// he cast and shivered.

Bobby quickly opened the door and pulled Remy inside. "What are you talking about?"

"Sometin’ is out dere! Someone’s watchin’ us!// Remy managed to remain calm, zeroing in on the presence. "It even feels familiar."

Bobby stared into Remy’s eyes. "Think the professor asked one of the others to watch over us? Perhaps Storm?"

"Non," Remy said absentmindedly and shivered. "It ain’t Stormy."

///

The mansion

"C’mon! Ya can do better than that!" Logan snorted as Warren tried to rock him off his feet, by grabbing his waist. Logan knew Warren’s plan to drag him along and then to drop him off after reaching sufficient height. They were working out in the danger room. Logan had suggested it to get some of Warren’s frustration and anger out of his system. Claws extended, he waited for Angel to try a different attack. But Warren utterly surprised him by crashing in to the wall in mid flight. "What the hell?" Logan cursed and got moving, gained speed and leapt gracefully, catching the falling form before it had made contact with the floor. "Wings, can ya hear me?" Startled, Logan realized he was actually angsting over Warren. "C’mon, Wings," he added in a more forceful tone when the man in his arms didn’t stir. Quickly calling the training session to a halt, he placed Warren on the floor and examined pulse and breathing, it was there if a little too fast perhaps, but nothing to worry about. Couldn’t be too careful though and he decided to head for the medlab to ask Hank to have a look at Angel.

"I’m fine, stop worrying," Warren sighed after what seemed an eternity and surprised, stared in to Logan’s big eyes. Was there a hint of fear, maybe even panic in them? Warren dismissed that idea. Logan wasn’t a man to openly show his emotions.

"What happened?" Logan demanded to know and helped Warren back to his feet. In the process he straightened out some feathers.

"Don’t know," Warren started. "Maybe I still need to get used to having my own wings back. Apoca…" His voice faltered as he tried to pronounce the name. "The metal ones felt different."

"I’m takin’ ya to the medlab. Don’t like this one bit!" Logan growled and retracted his claws.

"Logan, there is no reason why…"

"Shut up, Wings," Logan growled, glaring at Angel. "I wanna know what happened."

Warren took a deep breath, ready to continue the verbal fight, but Logan’s expression told him the man was serious. After quickly glancing about to make sure they were alone he asked, "Concerned about the playboy?"

"Stop playin’ mind games," Logan admonished him. "I’ve been playin’ them longer an’ ya can’t beat me at my own game."

Warren’s hand stopped him and Logan turned to face him. "What?" he asked impatiently, but his eyes narrowed recognizing the scent, the draped eyes and he moved quickly, pushing Warren against the wall. Pressing his lips to Angel’s he relished hearing the sharp intake in breath. "Ya don’t know what ya need, but I do," he stated.

Warren didn’t struggle at the feeling of the muscled body pinning him to the wall. All he could think about was the force that lay hidden in that kiss and he hungered for more. "Then give me what I need."

Logan chuckled amused. "Not yet, kid." But returned to continue the kiss, forcing Warren to open his lips, pushing past the teeth and finally he was inside that sweet, moist softness. A growl escaped his throat and his claws reappeared to play with the golden hair.

From the corner of his eye Warren noticed the deadly weapons close to his brow, throat, collarbone, gently caressing the blue skin there. Logan’s arousal pressed against him and he moaned, feeling how hard the other man was. His eyes stared deeply in to Logan’s, changing expression and…

Releasing him, Logan backed away, his claws retracting. "Medlab, now!"

Warren cursed loudly, only now aware of his own arousal, his erection throbbing painfully. He wanted that warm, strong body against his! "Damn!" he spat and moved to run to catch up with Wolverine.

///

Using the enhancing effects of Cerebro, Charles quickly managed to contact Magnus. Most X-Men were asleep and he had waited for this moment all evening.

"Charles?" Magneto said impatiently.

"Did you have any problems locating them?"

"They’re staying in the hotel you mentioned," Magneto raised an eyebrow. "I’m still not sure though why you want me to keep an eye on them. Why not one of your X-Men?"

"Trust me, my old friend. I’ve my reasons for asking you to do this." Charles wasn’t certain how much information he should reveal to Magnus and stalled. "I trust Bobby and Remy are doing all right?"

"They had dinner… walked to their hotel and made it safely back inside," Magneto reported in an odd tone. "Why are you this worried? You can’t hide that concern from me. I know you too well, Charles."

"Maybe you do," Charles admitted and knew he had made the right choice in asking Magnus to look after his students. The fact that Magnus had so readily agreed to his proposal however surprised him greatly. "Your interest in Remy hasn’t diminished," Charles pointed out, wondering why he’d made that particular remark.

"Remy LeBeau is a mutant. Of course I’m interested in him," Magneto said evasively. "How long will our couple stay in Paris anyway?"

"Only a few days." Charles mentally reviewed his options. What could he tell Magnus? But he found himself confiding in his old friend. "I want you to be careful," he started and noticed Magnus’ suddenly alert expression. "I have reason to believe that Sinister will try to get his hands on Remy."

"Sinister?" Magneto repeated a little stunned. "What does Dr. Mengele want with Remy?"

Charles shivered, hearing that name, knowing Magneto was referring back to the tests executed on Jewish prisoners during the war. That period in time had formed Magnus… Magneto.

"Dr. McCoy ran several tests on Remy’s blood and…"

"Why did you do that?" A hint of wonder lingered in Magneto’s voice.

"Remy suffers from nightmares," Charles said. "The last one featured Sinister. Remy now fears he’s one of Sinister’s experiments."

Magneto’s eyes glared in anger. "Why didn’t you intervene before this got out of hand?"

Charles remained silent, having no answer to that question. "Magnus, Henry found something very disturbing in Remy’s DNA."

"Yes?" Magneto said without commitment, only wanting more information.

"Henry is still evaluating the results, but they’re seriously confusing. We can’t make any sense of his DNA. We should have taken a sample much earlier to study his genetic make up." Charles remembered Hank’s baffled expression as he’d looked up from the screen. Even now Hank was in the medlab trying to analyse the sample.

"If Sinister has hurt Remy…" Hearing the rage in his voice Magneto calmed himself. "No one will get to them. You have my word on that."

Terminating the connection Charles decided to pay Hank another visit in the medlab, hoping for good news.

///

The Mansion.

"Did you succeed in analysing Remy’s DNA?" Charles asked Henry in a concerned tone.

"Partly."

Hank told Warren and Logan that they could leave the medlab now. The fact that the two men had come down here together no longer surprised him, Hank suspected the other X-Men had also noticed the growing attachment between Angel and Wolverine. Thankfully no one had made any condescending remarks about the unlikely pair and Hank wondered if the two men would work out or not.

"Why did they come down to the medlab?" Charles inquired, watching his students leave.

"Warren has some problems readjusting to his wings. But I’m confident it will pass quickly." Hank focussed on the DNA-sequence again. "I can’t explain this."

"What?" Charles approached the screen, glancing at the readings, which didn’t make much sense to him. "What’s puzzling you?"

Hank shook his head, uncertain how to explain what was puzzling him and decided not to make the effort now. Maybe later, once he’d found his answers. "At the moment," he said instead, "I’m running a program that can identify specific DNA patterns from Remy’s sample. It then compares those patterns to the ones stored in the computer’s data base here and on Muir Island."

"You’re trying to find any relatives?" Charles nodded. Over the years Hank had stored DNA characteristics of many samples, which had always been taken with the permission of the mutant involved.

"Hopefully it’ll point us in the direction of his parents," Hank confirmed, suddenly looking thoughtfully at Xavier. "Why didn’t we do this earlier, considering Remy’s past?"

Charles remained quiet. "Contact me the moment you identify any relatives or… parents."

"I suspect Remy’s mother is a mutant with an exceptionally strong telepathic ability." Hank drew in a deep breath. It would take the computer at least one more hour to run the program and Hank could only hope it would find at least one match.

///

Paris

"Remy?" Bobby whispered into his lover’s ear. "Why are you still awake?" They’d gone to bed an hour ago and Remy was still tossing and turning. The knowledge that someone was watching them irritated the hell out of the Cajun and the link sent that frustration straight back to Bobby who was growing more concerned with every passing moment.

"Don’ know, cher," Remy admitted honestly. "I wish I knew."

//Remy?// Wickedly, Bobby resorted to using the link for this particular purpose. //You didn’t have any dessert yet,// and tried hard to broadcast his want, his love across the link. If only Remy would stop brooding! //I love you, Remy, need you…//

"Cher." Remy smiled warmly as Bobby’s desire and passion seeped through the link and into his mind. Quivering, his fingertips trailed down Bobby’s shoulders and spine. "I t’ought y’ wanted to sleep."

"Dessert comes first," Bobby replied and rolled over, taking Remy with him in a hug. Remy’s weight now pressed him down and he loved the feel of skin against skin. "Kiss me," he breathed and reached up to claim Remy’s lips.

But Remy slid away from him, nuzzling Bobby’s skin with his lips as he moved down the agile body. He stopped briefly to lick a nipple, pinched it and then continued to place kisses all the way down to Bobby’s thighs. Smiling, Remy noticed he didn’t even have to urge Bobby to spread his legs a little.

"Remy?" Bobby sighed, looking down at his lover. His breath caught seeing the mischievous expression in the beautiful eyes.

Maintaining eye contact Remy slowly closed his lips over Bobby’s erection. A soft cry echoed through the room and Remy completely opened his mind to receive his lover’s feelings. Although Bobby had done this for him, he hadn’t returned the favor yet. Remy planned on doing that right now.

A startled "Oh," fled Bobby’s lips as Remy curled his tongue around the head of his erection. "What are you doing down there?" he panted. "That feels…" Words were inadequate to describe that particular sensation as Remy’s tongue teased against the slit.

Remy monitored Bobby’s reactions closely, his lover had given so much without asking anything in return and it was time to give back all the passion he had received recently.

Stroking the base of Bobby’s shaft Remy took in as much as he could, trying to relax while hard, hot flesh slid deeper in to his mouth and throat. Bobby started to buck, lifting his hips and Remy started to pull back, softly biting, almost nibbling at his lover’s shaft. Heat, passion, lust, but foremost trust and love were spiralling down the link to his mind and Remy quickly realized the sensations were Bobby’s. Remy wanted to make Bobby writhe with ecstasy.

//Remy, stop, don’t.// Bobby shook his head, clearing it from the foggy passion clouding it and gently cupped Remy’s face in his hand. Sitting upright he pulled his lover close enough to enfold him in a hug. //Now kiss me! I want to taste myself on your lips.// And that taste made his head reel. Somewhere, deep down in his heart Bobby knew how hard it was for Remy to take the initiative like this. Old pain, that had never healed properly, pooled in the depths of that Cajun soul and Remy was trying so hard to deal with it.

Remy didn’t have any time to ponder Bobby’s musings as his lover’s tongue duelled with his, chasing it around to finally catch up again and then… Bobby sucked the tip of his tongue hard. Remy almost came from that manipulation alone. //Cher, what, why?// Rational thought had fled and he clung to his lover as Bobby pulled him onto his lap, hard flesh pressing against his buttocks.

Briefly, panic seized him. Memories were battering against his mind, begging to be acknowledged, but Remy didn’t want them! Not now! Pushing his fear away he asked, "Did y’ pack de lube?"

"It was the first thing I unpacked," Bobby whispered in a naughty tone and pulled it from underneath his pillow. Handing it to Remy he gave his lover a puzzled look. The expression in those eyes, the doubt in Remy’s mind made him aware of his lover’s dilemma. //You don’t have to do this, Remy. You know that!// Bobby couldn’t believe that Remy was actually considering this. //You know I won’t take you as long as you aren’t ready for that. Don’t force yourself.//

Remy swallowed hard. How could he deny such compassion? Such love? "Non, I want y’ to take me," he whispered shakily. He had to do this now, had to know what the years living on the streets had done to him. Had to know if he could be the lover Bobby deserved.

Bobby felt his lover's resolve and knew why Remy was doing this. //You know I’ll never hurt you,// he told his lover. //Remember switching places that first time? I wasn’t in any pain, now was I?//

//Y’re right,// Remy admitted and opened the tube. Slowly, he coated Bobby’s erection. Then he sat there, wondering what to do.

Bobby however smiled warmly. Hands snuck around his lover’s waist and slowly he pulled Remy’s hips, aligning his shaft. "You set the pace," he whispered softly. //This way you’re in charge, Remy and you can stop whenever you want.//

Remy’s eyes watered slightly at hearing Bobby’s words. "Cher, I love y’." Saying it aloud somehow made it more real, more true, more… As he pushed down, Remy focused on Bobby’s blue eyes. The pain he expected never hit him and gaining confidence he took in more of his lover’s erection until his buttocks rested in Bobby’s lap.

Bobby’s smile had never vanished and now it broadened.

"Don’ say I told y’ so!" Remy whispered, knowing Bobby was about to make such a remark. It took him a moment to get used to the sensation of having something that large, hot filling him and the intensity burned itself a way into the pit of his stomach.

"You might wanna start moving, Remy," Bobby suggested, barely able to breathe with this tightness surrounding him. "You’re tight, warm, hot," he whispered, his voice barely audible and yelped as Remy clenched his muscle around him. "My God! Remy, what?"

As Remy started to move, Bobby couldn’t help thrusting upwards in a desperate effort to remain inside his lover, cupping Remy’s buttocks with his hands. After having set a slow rhythm, Remy took over and set the pace of their lovemaking. Staring in to those dilated pupils Bobby almost feared he was going to lose his sanity at the sight of this beautiful man riding him. The pace quickened and Bobby thrust harder, urged on by this need to bury himself inside his lover.

Eyes almost closed, Remy lost himself in the persistent movement. Suddenly he realized that he’d never felt this close to Bobby before. Right now he was in control, giving his lover the pleasure he deserved and that realization made him feel complete. Bobby was inside him, part of him and greedily Remy decided that he was going to cling to this sensation for as long as possible.

Bobby managed to regain control of his senses, thoughts and actions. His hands found Remy’s throat, chin, hair and pulled him close enough to kiss those lips again. The red eyes were afire, burning with a frightening intensity and he drank in that sight. //May I?// he asked and showed Remy telepathically what he wanted to do next.

To his astonishment Remy whispered, "Oui," and rolled on to his back, taking his lover with him.

Bobby settled between those delicious thighs and licked his lips before suckling one of Remy’s nipples. Remy’s eyes and the tiny explosions that set both their minds on fire made him gasp. "You’re…" and words eluded him. //All I ever wanted,// he finished eventually.

Remy wrapped his legs around him and Bobby moaned as he suddenly penetrated his lover even deeper. Changing the angle in which he was thrusting he noticed Remy’s mew of approval. "Gotcha!" he whispered and managed to recapture their earlier rhythm. "I won’t last long though," he admitted softly, but Remy wasn’t listening, he was matching each thrust with one of his own.

Remy bit his lip as he climaxed and sent his lover his ecstasy.

Remy’s orgasm coursed through his body, making him pant hard. Bobby screamed his pleasure as his lover’s muscle started to clench him, again and again and…"Remy!" he cried out as he came inside his lover and kissed Remy hungrily.

Experiencing Bobby’s orgasm as well Remy fought for breath, holding on tight to his lover, making sure Bobby couldn’t pull back yet. He didn’t want to lose this connection, this… closeness.

But satiated, Bobby slipped out of his lover’s warm and sticky body, hugging him closely and whispering a confession of undying love.

Remy smiled hearing that promise and he desperately wanted to believe that Bobby would always love him, never leave him, but… a child’s voice was berating him, telling him he couldn’t be that lucky.

Bobby’s grin was affectionate as well as astonished. "That was… amazing! Remy, love, I …"

"Quiet now, cher. I understand," Remy said soothingly, stopping Bobby as he tried to roll off him. //Don’, stay close.//

"I just wanted to get a towel and clean you up a little," Bobby explained and finally Remy let him go. During his trip back from the bathroom the smirk never left his face. As he tenderly cleaned Remy’s skin he pressed a genuine loving kiss on his lover’s belly button. "What made you change your mind?"

Remy caressed Bobby’s face and snuggled up to his lover after Bobby had disposed of the towel. //Y’r love? I had to know if I could give y’ what y’ need, cher.//

//Guess we know the answer now?// Bobby settled back into using the link. //You still okay with this?//

//I had no… unsettling flash-backs if dat’s what y’ want to know, cher,// Remy admitted, knowing darn well Bobby would have sensed them too. Sleep tugged at the edges of his mind and he spooned his body against Bobby’s, enveloping him in a hug. As he kissed the back of Bobby’s neck he sensed his lover falling asleep. //Sweet dreams, cher,// he sent and rested his brow against Bobby’s back, following his lover into the land of sleep and dreams.

///

The small boy was back at his side and Bobby sighed deeply as he sat on his heels. "What is it this time, Remy?" he asked, trying to radiate as much love and trust as he could muster. The boy’s clothes no longer had holes in them, but the kid still looked way too skinny. As the boy’s eyes focussed on him they radiated a similar confusion. Why didn’t Remy remember him in these dreams? Bobby wondered. Feeling uncomfortable, he gently took hold of the boy’s right hand. "Is it Sinister?" he asked apprehensively. The boy gave him a questioning look, apparently unfamiliar with that name. "The demon you showed me?" Bobby added, trying to help.

Slowly, the boy nodded his head. "Le diable still out dere! Mais…"

"Yes?" Bobby smiled warmly.

"Monsieur LeBeau will protect m’," the boy whispered in a tone between fear and hope. "Monsieur doesn’ know ‘bout le diable, but… he gave me dese clot’es!" and proudly the boy pointed at his new outfit.

Bobby wondered if the man who had adopted Remy knew more about his son’s past. Maybe he should try to contact the man. "Remy, what about Sinister? Le diable? Have you seen him around?" The boy looked about 12 years old and Bobby wondered how many years Remy had spent on the streets. The boy trembled suddenly and Bobby soothingly squeezed Remy’s shoulder. "I want to protect you too."

"Le diable…" the boy whispered and then choked up, "locks people up behind glass and deir eyes are dead."

Bobby’s mind raced. "Clones? You saw clones?"

Remy’s eyes revealed the horror he’d seen. "He wants me back."

"I’ll never allow Sinister to get to you," Bobby promised and hugged the boy, acknowledging the truth at last. Remy’s memories of Sinister hunting him down during his childhood had to be based on facts. He didn’t want to ask this next question but… "How long did you stay at his lab?" His heart pounded frantically awaiting that answer.

The boy used his fingers to count and then smiled sadly. "Not sure." He shrugged his shoulders. "Dey t’ink I was ‘bout 5 when I first appeared on de streets… don’t know," he said apologetically, feeling bad for not being able to supply this man with the answer he wanted.

"Five years?" Bobby repeated stunned. //Did that bastard have you for 5 years?// The boy stirred and Bobby feared Remy had picked up on that thought. He should let this rest and lure the boy in to waking up. "Hey," he whispered, sitting down on the floor, only now noticing he was in some sort of abandoned building. "You look tired."

The boy stifled a yawn. "Should go back to monsieur LeBeau or tante will come searchin’ for me."

Bobby felt relieved to hear that someone had watched over Remy during his puberty. "Then run back to them."

Smiling, the boy turned about and ran out of the building. Suddenly feeling alone Bobby wondered how to get out of this dream.

///

"Cher?" Remy whispered as his lover moved about in his sleep. He’d just had the weirdest dream and was scared Bobby had shared the experience. Something he’d said should have remained a secret forever, he knew that much and shivered.

//Five years?// Bobby opened his eyes and brushed away the single tear that had escaped from Remy’s left eye. //I know you remember the dream.//

//I do,// Remy admitted. //But why am I havin’ dem?//

//I don’t know,// Bobby sent honestly. //We should inform the professor though. I’m sorry, love, but I’m afraid you did spend time in Sinister’s lab when you were still a kid.//

Remy didn’t want to face that admission however, and simply closed his eyes. "I was right den,’" he said aloud, startling them both. "I’m not’ing but his creation.’

//No,// Bobby replied, refusing to let go of the link. //You’re the man I love. The man I just made love to. I love you, Remy.//

Remy kept his eyes closed, desperately feeding off Bobby’s reassurance and clinging to it to maintain his last bit of dignity. "Merci, cher, merci."

///

The Mansion

Depressed, Warren rested his head against the cold wall of the shower cabin. Ever since that little incident in the Danger Room he couldn’t get that feel and smell that was Wolverine out of his mind. The way Logan had pinned him against that wall, had taken his breath away, had awakened something deep inside him, something he had always denied existed. His erection was begging for attention, but he was trying hard to ignore the need to touch himself, drowning in fantasies about Logan taking him.

"Damn, this can’t be happening!" Angry, even somewhat disgusted with himself, he banged his fist into the wall. Since Bobby and Remy had admitted their feelings to everyone, he had lost most of his prejudice against gays, but finding himself attracted to a man still pushed the envelope.

//And why does it have to be Wolverine! The man scares me!// There was always the threat of the Canadian going primal and he wanted the man sexually?

No, it went much further than that. Logan represented all the mistakes he’d made; like judging Remy before knowing the truth, shattering the trust between he and Bobby with that attack. Well, maybe that had started even earlier, because Bobby had apparently never felt comfortable enough to tell him that he was gay. Maybe he felt this attracted to Logan because he wanted to be punished for everything he had done as Death. Maybe all these reasons were just an excuse for feeling the way he did.

For once, he wanted to surrender, to trust Logan with his life, no matter what the outcome would be. Right now he wanted Logan to take care of him, to show him what path to take and… maybe even show him things about himself he was scared of.

Logan, the name circled in his head and did little to help diminish his arousal, but he still refused to give in. //Logan wants me too. I saw it in his eyes, the way he touched and kissed me, but… I’m scared to even end that thought.//

After drying his skin - blue skin, he thought revolted- he realized he had to make a decision. Naked, he stepped into Logan’s room, which had become his new room during these last days. He moaned his disappointment at finding it empty. A note attracted his attention and he moved over to the dresser to read it.

"He’s gone jogging? In this cold?" But Warren quickly realized the cold wouldn’t really affect Wolverine’s health or superb condition.

Staring at the bed they shared, he slowly allowed himself to fall onto it. Face down, he shifted until he had reached a comfortable position and grabbed the pillow pressing it against his chest. His wings, unrestricted, moved about a little. There had been a time when he had taken his wings for granted. After he had lost them, he had lost part of himself, but now that he had them back he felt like he was going through some kind of rebirth process, trying to find himself again in this mess he had made out of his life. //It used to be so simple!//

Slowly he fell asleep, praying to a God he wasn’t sure he still believed in, to keep the nightmares away during Logan’s absence.

///

//I need to get him out of my mind!// Logan cursed. Ever since that kiss his thoughts had been drifting off to Warren’s soft skin, the surrender that had lingered underneath the surface that had promised ecstasy for them both. //But Warren will hate himself for givin’ in to it,// a warning voice told him. //After all, he once left the team because he couldn’t stand me!//

The run had done little for him, his arousal was still growing and he was stalling on getting back to his room. He’d run for two hours, trying to get the picture out of his head of Warren standing naked in his shower. //You can pin Warren down and simply take what you want//, his primal side whispered. But he refused to give in to such low tactics. If only he was certain he was reading Warren right!

As he crept up the stairs his ears only picked up silence. A soft snore was coming from his room, telling him Warren had fallen asleep. Opening the door he froze. Warren was asleep all right. //Naked… on my bed!// He groaned as his arousal returned fully. He’d never before wanted someone as much as he craved Warren. The man stood for everything he wasn’t, could never be and… //Damn! I can’t be thinking this!//

Heading for the bathroom, he hoped that an icy cold shower would do the trick. //Where’s Drake when ya need him?// As he took off his clothes, he found himself staring in to the mirror. "You look kinda good for an ol’ man!" he complimented himself with a somewhat bitter smile and then stepped underneath the cold water.

His arousal refused to die and only grew stronger with the knowledge that Warren was this close, lying naked in his bed! Shaking his head he wondered what to do. They should have discussed that kiss, their aroused bodies, but no, he had dragged Wings to the medlab instead. //Does he want me? Nope, I don’t think so, but… he said himself this wasn’t ‘bout love or commitment. This was about lust…// Logan didn’t like the direction his thoughts were heading and left the shower cabin, quickly picking up a towel.

As he stepped in to his room, he found that Warren hadn’t moved at all. Asleep on his stomach, hugging a pillow, he looked strangely vulnerable but damn attractive. Logan dropped the towel and took a deep breath. The others might think he had hardly any self-control, but they were wrong. He’d never just take what he wanted.

He came to a standstill as he reached the bed. Warren hated his blue skin, but Logan… //Exotic and mouth watering!// His eyes slowly scanned that agile body. His hands wanted to trail down that spine, cup those buttocks and… //bury myself inside him.// That realization made him swallow hard.

Sitting down on one side of the bed, he allowed his hand to hover above Warren’s back, not yet touching, but close enough to feel the man’s body heat. Warren was still asleep, but Logan smelled the hint of arousal in the room and it wasn’t his own. Keeping a close eye on Angel’s breathing, he rested his hand on the soft skin. Logan shivered at the touch, his senses heightening. Things would be much easier if he knew Warren’s thoughts and he briefly envied Remy and Bobby.

After reaching a decision his fingers stroked the silky skin, feeling ribs, spinal cord, even veins pumping blood through the body. Logan leaned in closer to examine the exact spot where Warren’s wings started and he gently fingered the feathers. His lips sought out Warren’s neck. At first, his kisses were tender, gentle, but as heat rose in his body they became possessive, suckling the skin and leaving behind marks.

Warren moaned softly, but remained seemingly asleep. Logan knew better though. The change in breathing indicated Warren had woken up and the scent of Angel’s arousal had strengthened. //Does he want this too?// Logan briefly closed his eyes to center himself. //It has been too long since I took a lover,// he mused. //But does he want us to be lovers? I’m willin’ to take whatever he wants to give, even if this is only a one time thin’! // Logan didn’t know himself when he had fallen in love with Warren, but he cared a great deal about the winged man.

Growing bolder, he slid further onto the bed, straddling Warren’s lower back and taking his time to explore the other man’s body. There was no doubt in his mind Warren would throw him off the moment he crossed a line. This was only happening because Angel allowed it.

Logan decided against telling Warren that he had picked up the change in breathing. If Angel wanted to pretend to be asleep, he wasn’t complaining. Perhaps it was Warren’s way of finding out where to go, what to do.

Logan pressed his lips to Warren’s skin, inhaling the scent, storing it away for further use. His teeth softly scraped Angel’s shoulders, while his hands were buried in the soft silky feathers. //Maybe this ain’t the best position for what I’ve got in mind! But… I like the feel of those wings.//

Warren was holding his breath. He’d woken the moment Logan straddled his hips. Conflicting thoughts and needs were coursing through his mind. He couldn’t let Logan have his way like this! He was Warren Worthington the… //But those hands, those lips, those teeth! I want him!// Warren was stunned at the depths of his feelings. That knowledge scared him gutless. He wanted to be taken, to be kept down, to feel that strength holding him in check, holding Death under control. //How can he want me after… the way I treated him?//

Logan studied Warren’s body language, concentrated on the tense muscles underneath his fingertips and suddenly understood Warren was fighting himself. //This isn’t about me. This is about Wings finally understanding his own needs…// Determinedly, Logan continued to kiss Warren’s throat and moving down to his lower back while one hand slipped underneath Warren’s body, searching for and finding his erection, which was rubbing against the sheet. Curling his fingers around Warren’s shaft Logan smiled on hearing the growl of approval. "I know ya’re ‘wake, Wings. It’s time to stop denyin’ yar needs," Logan murmured softly. Although it was tempting to continue his exploration like this, he wanted Warren’s permission first.

Warren finally released his breath, panting softly as Logan’s fingers moved along his erection. Words eluded him and as he tried to roll over Logan stopped him. "What?"

"Tell me what ya want," Logan said and buried his fingers in Warren’s hair, knowing it would cause Angel discomfort, but he had to be sure about this man.

"I… I can’t say it," Warren finally admitted. //Think it yes! But say it?//

Amused, Logan grinned. Pre-ejaculate was dripping on to his fingers and Warren had arched his back. "Aright, I’ll make it simple for ya then! Want me to take ya? Yeah or no."

"Yes," Warren growled in spite of his embarrassment. All he could think of was those fingers squeezing his throbbing erection, the feel of another man on top of his body and… not being in control. He wanted Logan to take the lead, tell him what to do.

"Want me to pin ya down like this?" Logan’s smile became tender.

"Yes," Warren hissed as he rubbed himself against that hand, those sheets. Logan’s shaft poked his lower back, making him buck slightly. "Yes!" he cried, losing himself in the moment.

"Want it rough?" Logan mumbled and sunk his teeth in to the tender flesh near Warren’s collarbone.

"Yes."

A whisper this time and Logan knew enough. "Not yet, kid. Ya got a lot to learn." Deep down in his heart he knew why Warren was reacting like this. //Ya want me to subdue Death, make sure he’ll never again get the upper hand by surrenderin’ yarself to me…// Logan’s line of thought stopped as hot semen dripped from his hand. Warren had come, but was still rock hard. "Must have been a while," he remarked teasingly. Warren wanted his strength, not his compassion, not right now. "Ya’ve never been with a man?" he asked just to make sure.

"Never," Warren whimpered, still feeling unfulfilled though he’d come a moment ago.

Logan nodded his head. //I’ll be gentle with ya,// he promised. "Now don’t move. Just need to get something!" Logan got to his feet, noticing Warren didn’t try getting up from the bed. Angel did cock his head to one side though to lock eyes with him. Logan didn’t mind that, even loved the way those blue eyes focused on him. Slowly he made his way over to the dresser, retrieved the massage lotion he kept there and chuckled softly to himself.

"What?" Warren asked nervously.

"Maybe we should buy some lube instead." A gentle note slipped into his voice as he added, "I hoped this would happen one day, but…"

Something about Logan dawned on Warren then. "Deep down you're just as nervous as I am."

Logan nodded his head and as he reached the bed, pulled Warren’s legs closer so they dangled off the bed. "Just enjoy the ride, Wings."

"I will," Warren whispered, nervous as hell, but more aroused than he’d ever been. "What are you going to do?" Kneeling, he rested his upper body on the bed and gripped the sides with his hands. Still being able to see Logan’s face reassured him a little.

"Stretching ya a little, Wings. Don’t wanna hurt ya." Logan admitted. After lubricating a finger, he placed his body on Warren’s. He was going to take his time. There was no need to rush this and he wanted Warren to remember their first time as pleasurable. Taking an earlobe between his lips, he started to nibble on it. Warren’s wings had spread and Logan readjusted his position, ending up captured by them. "Not goin’ to lemme go before I made ya come ‘nother time?"

Warren tried to reply, but Logan was suckling his skin and one hand had once again claimed possession of his still aching shaft. Warren bucked as something teased against his entrance. "Logan…" he moaned, half in desperate want, half in terror. "I can’t believe I’m letting you do this."

"Ya call the shots, darlin’, wanna stop?" Logan realized he had to offer Warren a way out. He wasn’t going to force himself on the man.

"No!" Warren chuckled, hearing the desperate tone to his own voice. "But I wish you’d hurry up!"

Logan was tempted to give Angel what he wanted, but sanity told him to remain careful and take this slow. "Ya don’t know what ya’re askin’," he berated Warren.

Warren pushed back as that first finger slid inside, claiming him and he groaned loudly at the penetration.

Logan wasn’t putting his entire weight on Warren, but consideration was the last thing on his mind as Warren arched his back, spreading his legs a little more to allow him to slide in even deeper. Grabbing the lotion, he rubbed it on his pounding erection. Logan was actually salivating at the idea of being inside Angel and as he replaced his fingers with his cock, he felt Warren move about underneath him. Logan placed his hand on Warren’s back, steadied himself and started pushing into the tight entrance.

Warren almost choked at the sensation. Logan’s shaft was so much bigger than those fingers and he bit down on the sheets. Pain shot through him as Logan continued to push in deeper. One of Logan’s hands returned to stroke his erection, which had been rubbing the sheets they had pulled with them. Warren forced himself to regulate his breathing as this large presence took up residence in his body.

Feeling the shift of the body beneath him Logan paused to give Warren a chance to get used to this feeling. Looking down Logan saw Warren was still hard and smiled. He never liked to talk during the act itself, preferring to completely concentrate on his lover’s sensations, but this was different. "Ya wanna stop?" he asked again, uncertain he could still stop at this point, but if Warren was in pain and…

"No," Warren breathed through the sheets and spit out the cloth. Slowly, he pushed back and by doing that he took in even more of Logan’s shaft. "I didn’t know it would feel like this…" he admitted. Now that his body had adjusted to the invasion, he managed to look into Logan’s eyes and what he saw in them almost made him choke up… //Does he love me?//

Logan closed his eyes and started to thrust slowly. He wanted Angel to come first, wanted to feel his lover’s muscle contract around his shaft.

As Logan’s balls slapped against his skin Warren threw back his head. The friction running through his body almost made him howl. He was trying hard not to use his wings or they might end up against the ceiling, afloat in the room. Logan’s hands were moving through his feathers and Warren pushed back as Logan nearly pulled out.

Together they settled into a pleasing rhythm and Logan leaned in as close as he could to bury his teeth in the small wound he’d torn earlier. Pants, moans, groans and Logan’s growls filled the room and Warren wondered why he felt this complete. Feeling Logan thrust inside him made him go mad and he was shocked to learn how much he loved this sensation. Unable to hold back any longer he came a second time. Logan immediately released his sensitive flesh, but Warren bucked, demanding his lover thrust harder to come as well.

Hearing the grunted demand Logan grinned. Warren’s muscle was clenching him and the need to thrust inside that hot passage stopped. Orgasm claimed him a moment later, while Warren was still coming in his hand.

Warren gasped as something warm filled him. //Logan’s come inside me.// But the admission Logan mumbled into his ear was the thing that really left him stunned.

"I love ya, Wings." Logan rested his head on Warren’s sweaty skin, in between those wings and couldn’t remember the last time he’d come this hard. Only then did he realize he’d drawn blood and that Warren was trembling violently underneath him. Pulling back, he slipped out of his lover’s warm entrance and hauled him on to the bed. "Are ya aright?" he asked concerned. "Was yar first time and…"

Warren finally rolled onto his side and looked up at the man sitting cross-legged next to him. He allowed Logan to pull him on to his lap and sighed as those expert hands massaged his tense muscles. "Do you really mean it?" Feeling pleasantly tired, he used Logan’s shoulder as a pillow and wasn’t sure he wanted to hear the answer.

"What?" Logan pressed his lover close to his chest, kneading muscles, which had tensed up during their lovemaking. Right now he wanted to cradle Warren in his arms and go to sleep, not discuss this.

Warren wasn’t sure he even wanted to go there. What if Logan denied ever saying it? But he had to know someone cared about him.

Logan suddenly suspected what Warren was trying to say. "Yeah, I guess I’m in love with ya. Hope ya don’t have a problem with the age difference."

Warren lowered his eyes, relieved, yet terrified at the same time. "I wasn’t sure I heard you properly."

Wrapping his arms even tighter around his lover Logan’s chin rested on Warren’s head. "Where do ya wanna go from here?" he asked, always giving the other a chance to call things off.

Warren’s eyes dropped shut. "I’m not going to leave this bed," he said jokingly. "Just let me catch my breath… maybe sleep a little and…"

"Ya’re already asleep, darlin’," Logan muttered, shifting on the bed so Warren could stretch his legs. Holding his lover in his sleep Logan studied the relaxed expression on Warren’s face. "Looks like I exhausted ya," he added and chuckled. Relaxing himself, he let go of his worries, content to watch over the man in his arms.

///

In the medlab, Hank rose to his feet and stared in disbelief at the screen. "This can’t be right." His fingers moved quickly over the keyboard, ordering the computer to run the same program a second time. "Professor?" Hank used the com to contact Xavier.

Luckily, Charles was still reading a book and hadn’t retired to his bedroom yet. "Yes?" he asked, seeing the concern, no shock on McCoy’s face.

"We might have a problem," Hank stated.

"I’m coming down to the medlab," Charles announced.

Satisfied, Hank redirected his attention to the screen. # Two out of three matches found. DNA-match number 1; Jean Grey- Summers, DNA-strand number 2; Scott Summers, DNA sample number 3; no match found.

///

"Remy? I think we got off one station too early!" Cursing, Bobby struggled with the map. "Why does everything have to be in French?"

Remy chuckled softly and then took hold of the map, turning it around. "No use in holdin’ it upside down, cher!"

Dumbfounded, Bobby stared at the map. "Upside down?" As he looked at Remy he realized something odd. "We’re the only people in here."

Remy nodded his head. "I know, cher. Maybe we weren’ supposed t’ get out here an’ stay on de metro? Dey could be doin’ construction work here."

"Now, where the hell are we?" Bobby searched the map, fingers tracking the route they had travelled so far. "We just left the Louvre…" Bobby winked at Remy and added, "where you didn’t steal anything! This is Line D. This should be Les Noues. Remy, I could use some help here!"

"Cher?" Remy whispered and turned away from Bobby. Something was tugging at his mind and it wasn’t a pleasant sensation. Suddenly he realized they were in trouble. "Dere’s ‘nother reason why no one is here," he pointed out to Bobby as he swept the map away with his hand. "Dis is a trap!"

The map fell to the floor and Bobby instinctively shifted to ice form.

Remy shuddered seeing that transformation, hating the cold his lover radiated.

"Trap? Remy, what are you talking about?" Bobby had to admit the tunnel was too quiet for his taste too, like something was waiting, stalking them.

"Boss was right," an ominous voice growled to their left. "You’re getting better at this, LeBeau."

Bobby knew that voice and exchanged a glance with his lover. Quickly, he switched to using the link. //Marauders?// and was grateful he’d already changed into ice.

//Oui,// Remy replied somewhat shocked, never expecting to run in to them in Paris!

Bobby immediately caught the panic, -which was nearing terror-, in Remy’s mind. //We can take them, Remy! Start charging those cards of yours!//

Those words brought Remy back to reality. With an iron will he locked away any fears he might have and grabbed his deck, charging a few cards, ready to defend his lover.

//How many are there?// Bobby wanted to know. //Except for Sabretooth?//

//I sense… Scalphunter an’ Riptide,// he sent to Bobby. They were in dire straits.

The three Marauders stepped out of the shadows. Riptide was gaining speed and only waiting for Scalphunter’s word to carry out a first attack. Sabretooth was licking his lips, flaunting his claws. "If you come with us, LeBeau we won’t kill your… lover," Scalphunter spat.

//Don’t even think about it!// Bobby admonished Remy who looked at him thoughtfully. //Got any ideas?//

Remy was thinking hard. They were outnumbered and he didn’t feel up to his usual tricks. //First we need t’ get outa dese tunnels!//

//Yes,// Bobby agreed, thankful they had the advantage of the link. //I’ll try and stall for more time. You get back to the hotel and try reaching the professor somehow.//

//Non,// Remy objected vehemently. //I’m not leavin’ y’ behind!//

"No answer, LeBeau? That means we get to take you by force. The boss wants his investment back." Scalphunter nodded towards Riptide who charged towards the two X-Men.

//Watch out for those Shurikens!// Bobby warned his lover.

Remy had charged a few cards and was now aiming them at Scalphunter while Sabretooth was attacking Bobby. Riptide had reached maximum speed and suddenly shurikens flew through the air. Remy’s reflexes saved him and he jumped behind Sabretooth, using the man’s body as a shield. At the same time, he charged another card and threw it at Sabretooth. The effect was minimal. //Dis ain’t workin’!// Remy cast discouraged. As he tried catching Bobby’s eyes Remy’s heart missed a beat. One shuriken had found its way into Bobby’s left shoulder.

Bobby noticed the concerned glance. //I’m okay as long as I stay in my ice form. Damn it Remy! We need to get away from them!//

Remy had reached the same conclusion. Using his Bo staff he managed to deal a hard blow to Scalphunter’s chest, but Riptide was advancing on him and… the situation seemed hopeless. He cringed as Riptide released another wave of shurikens, which came flying their way.

"Enough!" An angry voice boomed through the tunnel.

Remy was still staring at the shurikens and gasped as the metal weapons changed direction and bit into Scalphunter and Sabretooth’s flesh instead. Riptide had managed to get out of harm’s way and Remy knew Sabretooth would heal within seconds.

"Remy, Drake, get over here!"

That voice… only a few feet away from them was Magneto, suspended in the air and protected by his sphere. Not wasting a moment Remy established eye contact with his lover. //We’re outa here!//

Bobby nodded, remained in ice form and started moving towards Magneto. He didn’t even stop to wonder why Magneto was helping them. Probably because of Remy.

Scalphunter’s angry yell echoed through the large space. "Go after LeBeau! The boss wants him alive and wants him now!" But Sabretooth and Riptide didn’t move, staring at Magneto instead. They knew what this man could do, knew what he would do.

"He’s a killer," Riptide whispered and shook his head as he addressed Scalphunter. "No way I’m going to piss him off." Even Sabretooth nodded his head.

Magneto simply smiled. It was good to know his reputation still preceded him. A glance told him Remy was fine. Drake however, was injured. "Stay where you are," he told Drake and extended the range of his sphere until it also engulfed both X-Men.

Remy’s head was reeling. The hate and anger emanating from the Marauders made him feel sick. Looking at Bobby, he knew that the moment his lover shifted to human form that shoulder would start hurting and bleeding. "Where are y’ takin’ us?"

"We’ve got to leave Paris," Magneto replied. "I’m going to take you to the mansion where you’ll be safe," and he looked at both men. As he set course back to his hotel he cast a glance filled with disgust at the Marauders who were watching them leave. It was a good thing Charles had urged him to keep his guard up.

///

"Bobby?" Remy only had eyes for his lover and quickly wiped away the blood, which was dripping from the injured shoulder. His ministrations were gentle and he blamed himself for getting them into that dangerous situation in the first place. The shuriken had managed to bite itself deeper in to the flesh when Bobby had changed back.

"I’ve been hurt before," Bobby said as calmly as he could muster. Via the link he was receiving Remy’s concern and he patted the Cajun’s back reassuringly. The pain was bad though and the wound refused to stop bleeding. The last thing he needed was Remy blaming himself for something he’d had no control over.

"Sit down, young man," Magneto said after retrieving the first aid kit from reception. He’d decided to take them to his room first before planning their way back overseas.

"Merci for comin’ t’ de rescue," Remy whispered honestly, feeling Bobby’s pain through the link. Sitting down, he watched Magneto’s every move as the older man tried to stop the bleeding.

Magneto didn’t react as he bandaged Bobby’s shoulder. "You’ll live," he said eventually.

"Thought so," Bobby hissed in pain. Remy’s hand had slipped into his and only now did he realize he was squeezing it hard. Smiling weakly he addressed Remy and gasped seeing the reflected pain in those eyes. "Maybe you should shut down the link."

"Non," Remy stated fiercely.

"I’m going to arrange a flight back," Magneto announced as he moved over to the phone. "You should lie down, Drake."

Bobby wasn’t going to argue about that as dizziness overwhelmed him. Remy helped him lie down on the bed and as his lover pushed a pillow underneath his head he whispered, "Thanks." for some reason he was drifting off in to sleep and was unable to fight it.

Remy watched his lover closely and the moment he was sure Bobby was soundly asleep he focused on Magneto. "Why are y’ here?"

"Because an old friend asked me to keep an eye on you." Magneto turned to face the young man and gestured him to follow him in to the other room so they wouldn’t disturb Bobby. "What were you thinking, placing yourself in danger like that?" His voice carried threat as well as concern.

Remy trembled briefly hearing that tone. His senses told him Magneto was truly concerned about him. It explained the berating tone. "I didn’ know dey would come for m’." Remy checked on Bobby, making sure his lover was still asleep. Scalphunter’s words still rang in his mind though. "The boss wants his property back." Startled, he realized he’d spoken out loud.

"Why is Sinister after you?" Charles had told him bits and pieces, but he wanted to hear it from Remy.

"I…" Lost for words Remy lowered his eyes. "I don’ know." Hearing Magneto’s impatient sigh he added, "Bobby t’inks Sinister might have had m’ in his lab for 5 years. Dere’s a time… I don’ remember at all."

Magneto pondered the answer. "Why would Sinister see you as his property?"

Remy didn’t want to discuss this and his reluctance seeped through the link, eventually waking Bobby who stirred on the bed. "Merde!" he whispered, leaving Magneto behind to return to his lover.

Magneto let him go, too busy reaching his own conclusions, which made him fear for Remy’s life. He had to get both men back to the mansion so they could sort this out. Sitting down on the sofa, he watched Remy, trying to lure his lover back into sleep. "Sinister," he whispered. They had run into each other once, a long time ago. He’d found himself trapped in a lab, collared, feet and wrists tied. But Sinister had underestimated him and he had managed to escape quite easily. It was only years later that he’d realized what Sinister had done to him. No one got away with stealing his DNA! Furious he had sought out the lab, set on destroying it. He’d never expected to find Sinister there. He’d torn the place down and while searching one room at a time he had destroyed numerous DNA samples, which had been taking without their owners’ permission. As he had reached the last room, he had halted, seeing a child strapped to an exam table, attached to several IV’s. He had freed that child and had taken the boy with him to get him away from Sinister’s clutches, but then Sinister had appeared, claiming the boy and promising terrible revenge if he didn’t hand over his ‘property’. At that moment he’d sworn to protect the boy, had dropped him off on the ground so he could take out Sinister once and for all. The battle hadn’t lasted long. Sinister had fled, opening a tesseract and had disappeared. Their fighting however had wrecked havoc all around them and when he returned to pick up the child he found the building in flames. The boy had vanished and Magneto still feared the fire had swallowed the sedated child.

Looking at Remy a startling realization hit him. //They have the same hair color and Scalphunter referred to Remy as Sinister’s property…// Something in his mind clicked and abruptly everything made sense. //So that boy survived after all and ended up on the streets.//

He decided to keep this knowledge to himself for the moment. No need to startle Remy right now. The young man worried too much as it was. Getting to his feet, he decided to call a cab and get going. Their flight would leave in three hours and he wasn’t going to miss that plane.

///

After they’d boarded the plane Remy sat Bobby down at the window and then took the seat next to his lover. "Is dere anyt’in’ I can do, cher?" he offered.

Bobby smiled. His pain was only physical, while Remy’s… //You’ve got to stop thinking like that!// Bobby berated him. //You are not Sinister’s property!// Experiencing Remy’s turmoil from this close he realized his lover was slipping away from him, distancing himself and he couldn’t allow what. His shoulder still throbbed with pain, but he pushed it away as he reached for Remy’s hand. //I love you, Remy. Don’t let Sinister come between us!//

Magneto suspected there was a telepathic exchange going on, seeing the concentration in their eyes. Taking his aisle seat, he looked at the people around him. No one had recognized him yet and hopefully no one would. Remy was wearing sunglasses to conceal his eyes and wouldn’t attract any attention either. Looking back, Magneto decided to travel this way had been a good choice. The Marauders would think twice about attacking a regular flight. Attacking a plane was hard in the first place and he assumed they wanted their target alive. He did worry about Remy though.

"Why?" Remy said suddenly, turning towards Magneto. "Why are y’ dis worried ‘bout me?" Logically he couldn’t think of any reason why Magneto would feel responsible for him or was it because the man had saved his life?

"We can’t help it, Remy," Bobby replied instead, drawing a surprised look from Magneto. "We just do."

"I’ve got nothing to add," Magneto stated, a little amused by Bobby’s answer.

"I jus’ don’ get it," Remy mumbled, settling back in to his seat cradling Bobby’s hand in his. "Henry should have a look at y’ de moment we get home." As he spoke that last word, he realized the mansion had truly become his home.

Bobby reassuringly squeezed Remy’s hand in return. //The pain isn’t that bad.//

Remy remained silent, he wasn’t going to tell his lover that he was using the link to absorb most of Bobby’s pain. "How much longer?" he asked Magneto instead.

"We should arrive in 9 hours. I contacted Charles and he assured me someone will be at the airport to pick us up."

"Will y’ stay?" Remy asked, sensing the same question in Bobby’s mind.

"Don’t think that would be a good idea, my young friend. Too many of your colleagues would love to get at shot at me."

"Logan?" Remy sensed something in Magneto’s mind, but the older man was shielding his thoughts extremely well. Or maybe it was just Magneto’s mutation that made it hard to read his thoughts.

Magneto smiled. "Don’t worry about it, Remy. I suggest you try and rest until we land and…" he leaned forward to lock eyes with Drake, "Same goes for you."

Bobby chuckled softly as the absurdity of the situation hit him. "You almost sound like the professor!"

"I’m not sure that’s a compliment," Magneto replied and settled back into his chair. Truth was he didn’t know yet what to do upon their arrival. He would make sure the X-Men picked them up and then head for his closest base.

///

Nine hours later the plane made a perfect landing in spite of a layer of fog. The moment the plane touched the ground Magneto’s instincts kicked in. The Marauders could have followed them or might try another attack here. It would be their last chance. Once Remy had reached the mansion, the other X-Men would be there to protect him.

Magneto led them through customs, using a false ID-card himself. As they reached the arrival hall, his eyes scanned his surroundings for a ‘familiar’ face. He suspected Charles might have sent Scott, or maybe Storm.

But after waiting for thirty minutes he realized no one was going to show up. Looking over at Drake, he caught the shivers racking his body underneath the coat. The young man needed medical attention and Remy… Remy looked tired and broken, Magneto thought startled. //I won’t let this happen! I won’t allow it!// he thought firmly. //Even if that means killing Sinister!//

///

The mansion

Scott closely observed his mentor. Xavier looked upset, something the professor usually managed to hide extremely well. "Why did we have to come down here in the middle of the night?" he asked apprehensively, wrapping an arm around Jean.

Xavier and Hank exchanged a glance. "Because we’ve got something to tell you." Charles gestured the couple to sit down. Hank and he had discussed this in depth and they agreed that the couple needed to know the truth.

"What is it, professor?" Scott guided Jean to one of the chairs.

Jean had also picked up on Charles’ discomfort. "What happened?" Why was the professor this… nervous? Even avoiding their eyes?

Charles tried to find a way to introduce the subject of their conversation without startling his students. "You know Henry has been running tests to find out more about Remy’s genetic make up?"

"Yes," Scott replied in a formal tone.

"To be exact," Henry took over, "I’ve been running tests on Remy’s DNA in order to find any relatives."

"Did you succeed?" Jean asked suddenly alert. The professor was holding back on them, why?

"Yes, I did," Hank sighed deeply. "But the results are unsettling."

"Why?" Scott sensed Jean’s curiosity, a feeling he shared. "Why call us down here now?"

Hank started to pace, uncertain how to explain this to the couple. He wasn’t sure how they’d take the news. Looking at Jean, he felt a little more confident. She had liked Remy from the start, so maybe things would work after all, but…

Charles took a deep breath. "Our suspicions were correct. Remy did spend time in Sinister’s lab as a small child."

Scott looked at him, eyes pleading for more information.

"Remy’s DNA…" Charles started uncomfortably. "According to the computer he’s carrying characteristics he could only have gotten from Jean and you," Charles locked eyes with his students. "We already know Sinister obtained your DNA material when you were children, but…"

"Hold on!" Scott exclaimed, getting to his feet. "I don’t remember Jean giving birth to Remy!" A sarcastic hiss had slipped in to his voice.

Jean reacted in a different way. "Scott, sit down and let them continue."

"But!" Scott objected. Jean’s glare however silenced him.

"Please carry on," Jean said in a fatigued tone.

"We think Sinister used your DNA samples for his experiments," Charles replied in a similar tired tone.

"And Remy is the result of that experiment? Oh, my God," Jean murmured and leaned back in to the comfort of her husband’s embrace. "He’s our son, Scott!"

"Not exactly," Hank interrupted, "There is another DNA strand we can’t identify yet and it has a much greater influence than Scott’s. Speaking in layman’s terms, Scott’s DNA acted like a catalyst."

"Who’s the third party?" Scott asked, trying to sort out his feelings.

"Unknown," Hank said calmly.

Jean looked at her husband, sensing his confusion. "Don’t you dare to blame Remy for this!"

Scott had a hard time accepting this revelation. "Sinister used our DNA without our consent? Damn it, what else did he use it for?"

Jean grabbed hold of his hand. "Listen to me, Scott. We always knew Sinister was up to no good and now…" Suddenly she turned to the professor. "Have you told Remy?"

"No, not yet," Charles admitted. "I fear this might… upset him greatly."

"Upset him?" Scott snarled. "What about us?"

"Scott!" Jean admonished him angrily. "Sometimes you’re…" and forced herself to calm down. "Blame Sinister for this, not Remy! I know you and Remy never got along well, but I thought that had started to change!"

"Well," Scott sighed, remembering Christmas Eve. Yes, he liked the Cajun, but this new development made his blood boil!

"Scott," Charles said. "For some time I thought Remy was my son."

"What?" Scott exclaimed.

"His psi potential baffled me and…" Charles didn’t know how to phrase this. "But it makes sense that Remy got those powers from Jean."

"Darling," Jean got to her feet and joined her husband who was staring out of the window. "I did wonder at times about Remy’s eyes and his ability to charge objects. What if that power had settled down in his eyes? Would it have created an optic blast?"

Scott shuddered unwillingly. "It’s hard to accept."

"No one is asking you to embrace Remy as your lost son," Hank pointed out to him, "but please don’t reject him. I don’t think he would take that well." In fact, Hank was worried about Remy’s emotional stability to begin with. "I’m still not sure how to tell Remy what we have discovered!"

Jean folded her arms around her husband’s chest and rested her head against his back. "I like Remy," she said and waited for his response.

"You’re right, love," Scott said eventually. "I can’t blame this on Remy. Sinister did this to us… and him."

Jean shivered and snuggled closer to him, ignoring the fact that they weren’t alone. "It explains certain images I saw after Warren attacked him. I never knew…"

Scott led her back to the chair and sat her down. "What images?" Now that he’d accepted the truth he was eager to get to the bottom of this.

"There was so much pain!" she stuttered and realized what she had to do. She had made her decision. As far as Jean was concerned Remy was her son and she would fight for his safety and sanity, even if Scott was still hesitant to commit himself to Remy. "Professor, I want to show you what I saw."

Charles nodded his head. They needed every bit of information if they wanted to help Remy.

Hank was about to leave the medlab to give them some privacy, but Jean called him back. "No, Hank, you should see this as well in case Remy starts to act up during treatment. You need to understand what he went through."

"Then show us," Scott said, trusting her completely.

Jean touched her forehead trying to recapture everything she’d seen that day in her mind.

The four of them found themselves standing in Sinister’s lab. Tanks, filled with clones surrounded them and the stench of blood made Scott feel nauseous. //Jean?//

//This is where Remy spent the first years of his life,// she explained and tried fighting back the tears that were threatening to surface in her eyes. //Sinister conducted many tests on him.//

Suddenly a high-pitched scream sounded through the room and they watched in mute horror as Sinister appeared, hauling a small boy behind him whom he placed on to an exam table.

Sinister shackled the child to the table and then started laying out surgical instruments. The boy had stopped screaming and stared at the scalpels instead. The red on black eyes were swimming with unshed tears.

//Jean,// Hank started, //I think I’m beginning to understand our Cajun friend.//

Jean’s thoughts reached all three men. //Sinister put him through this once a month.//

They watched horrified as Sinister began his ‘ministrations’. After taking all the blood he needed he put the vials away and started examining those eyes as if hoping to find something new.

//At this point in time Remy’s powers couldn’t have manifested yet,// Charles commented.

The boy screamed as a bright scanner searched the iris of his eyes and Jean released the tears the child couldn’t cry.

Scott had been quiet until now, registering everything that happened in Sinister’s lab in a non-emotional way, but even he couldn’t keep back his loathing. //Jean… he’s only a child!//

//Sinister doesn’t care about him as a person,// Jean pointed out to him. //Remy’s just another experiment, his creation, his property.//

//At least we now understand why that nightmare freaked him out like that,// Scott commented, remembering the night Jean had spent at Remy’s bed.

//He’s been trying hard to block these memories,// Charles explained. //And I can’t blame him. This must have left him greatly traumatized.//

//Not to mention the years he had to live on the streets,// Hank remarked. //Remy is a survivor all right.//

Jean sighed as she broke the link, taking them back into the present again. Opening her eyes, she noticed the shocked expression in Scott’s. "Love?"

"I’m going to get back at Sinister for doing this to Remy!" he stated vehemently.

Jean smiled lazily and placed her hand between her husbands. "That might imply… terminating Sinister’s existence."

"If necessary," Scott replied in an icy tone. "I’m not letting that monster close to Remy ever again!"

Charles nodded his approval. He’d hoped Scott’s protective instincts would surface and his student hadn’t let him down. "I wish I had better news," he started again.

"Professor?" Scott wasn’t sure he could take another surprise.

"An… old friend told me that the Marauders attacked Remy and Bobby in Paris."

Jean got to her feet, fatigue forgotten. "Are they all right?"

"Yes, my friend managed to get to them in time. Bobby got injured," Charles heard Henry’s sharp intake of breath. "One of Riptide’s shuriken entered his shoulder, but luckily it’s only a flesh wound."

Hank shuddered. "When will they arrive?" Bobby was injured and he wanted to oversee the recovery process personally.

"In two hours. Are there any volunteers to pick them up from the airport?" Charles knew Magnus would stay with Remy and Bobby as long as necessary. It was really fortunate his old friend felt this protective of Remy although he still wondered why.

Jean looked in to Scott’s eyes. "Yes, professor. Scott and I will pick them up."

Too caught up in the recent revelations they startled as the alarm went off. A tesseract opened in the medlab and Scott froze seeing Sinister emerge from it. "Hank, take care of the professor," he instructed, trying hard to control the hate that surged through him on seeing this visage in front of him.

Jean joined him, placed her hand in his and was ready to fight off this Boogey Man once and for all.

///

"Intruder alert!"

The computerized voice immediately woke Logan who was a light sleeper. "Wake up, Wings!" he called out, shaking the other man harshly. Quickly he leapt out of the bed, slipped in to some shorts his claws emerging from their sheaths.

Warren on the other hand, needed a moment to take in the situation. Realizing he was still naked, he followed Logan’s example and put on some trousers. "What’s going on?" Years of training kicked in and he was beside Logan in a second. Together they ran down the corridor.

Xavier’s thoughts suddenly sounded in their minds, filling them in on the current situation. //Sinister has managed to get past our defences. He and several Marauders are inside the building. I assume they’re after Scott and Jean.//

Storm appeared around the corner, airborne her white eyes focused on the problem at hand. "The medlab!" she said urgently and the three of them hurried down the stairs.

Warren also took to the sky and grinned at Logan in spite of the danger. "Want a ride, old man?"

Logan growled and allowed Warren to fly him to the medlab. Now that he knew they were dealing with Sinister and the Marauders they couldn’t waste a single moment! "Jubilee! Be careful, kid!" he called out, as the girl joined them. One look told Logan that she planned on taking care of herself.

"Hank!"

"That’s Jeanie!" Logan growled dangerously. "Lemme down, Wings!" Nobody was going to lay a finger on his Jean as long as he lived!

Warren dropped him to the floor and was about to fly into the medlab when Blockbuster and Arclight appeared, blocking their path. Arclight struck her fists, creating a bright light that blinded them.

"Damn!" Warren yelped, crashing into the wall, how much longer would it take him to get used to his old wings again?

Blockbuster tried getting his hands on Jubilee and Logan’s infuriated growl echoed through the corridor. //Correction, nobody is goin’ to lay a finger on Jean or Jubilee!// How many times had they fought the Marauders only to learn Sinister had cloned a new dozen? It was an endless battle. Logan’s claws impacted hard and he managed to throw Blockbuster into the wall. Only then did he realize his lover was down as well! "Ro!" he called, his eyes pointing Warren out to her.

"I summon the winds!" she cried and managed to stop Arclight’s attack.

Warren moaned, but managed to fly away from the scene to regroup.

Still airborne Storm tried to figure out how many Marauders had managed to get inside. She caught sight of Vertigo from the corner of her eye and wished Remy and Bobby were here as well. Without Rogue they were badly outnumbered.

///

Inside the medlab Sinister’s hands moved too fast for the human eye to see and Jean stared in shock at the small tranquilizer dart that had buried itself in her upper arm. "How… why?" she stuttered and looked blankly at Scott who tried to catch her as she fainted.

Sinister didn’t utter a single word as Sabretooth and Scalphunter appeared. Bolts of energy flashed through the medlab and he was pleased to see Cyclops ducking away for cover.

Beast had leapt over to Xavier and was trying desperately to figure out what to do. Jean was down and Sinister’s attack had surprised the hell out of them.

//Protect Jean!// Charles told Henry. //Sinister is after her this time!//

But Sabretooth moved quickly, avoided Scott’s blasts and picked up Jean. "You want her, boss?"

Sinister nodded pleased. "Take her to my lab," he instructed.

"No!" Scott yelled, leaving his cover and blasting away at Sinister, who cried out in pain, but never went down. "Hank! Get Jean away from him!"

Hank was already on his way over to Sabretooth, but then Harpoon stepped out of the tesseract, throwing an imbued object at Scott. Beast had to duck as well and Sabretooth handed Jean over to Harpoon.

"NO!" Scott screamed in anger. His heart almost stopped beating the moment Sinister closed the terresect.

Grinning, Sinister’s eyes sparkled with pleasure. "I’m only going to say this once so listen carefully." The fighting around them had stopped and he concentrated on Xavier and Scott. The latter barely managing to keep his anger in check.

"What do you want?" Charles asked, afraid he already knew the answer. He joined Scott and Henry, telling them to remain calm.

"I want what is mine!" Sinister smiled, turned about, and greeted the new arrivals.

Logan was about to charge again, but the professor’s glare stopped him. "Pity, I wanted to finish what I started," and looked behind him, where Blockbuster and Arclight’s bodies lay.

Sinister would clone them again and they would meet up in another fight. Scanning the room Logan realized Jean’s scent was gone. "What’s goin' on?" His voice shook as he made eye contact with Scott who had turned deadly pale.

"No more interruptions!" Sinister decreed as Scalphunter and Sabretooth moved towards him. Staring in to Xavier’s eyes he said, "I want my creation. Give me Remy LeBeau and I’ll return Jean Grey to you. Refuse and she dies!"

"Never!" Scott screamed, uncertain what he was trying to say. "I’m sure as hell not handing Remy over to you!"

"But then your wife will die," Sinister replied amused.

Logan grunted and ran over to Scott. "If Jean’s hurt…"

"Shut up, Logan!" Scott growled. "Remy is Jean’s son!" Then he paused, making his decision once and for all. "My son!"

Warren looked at Storm. "Their son?"

Logan was speechless. His eyes searched Scott’s eyes and he realized the man was telling him the truth.

"Yes! Remy is one of his experiments!" Scott told the others in a venomous tone. "Sinister used Jean’s DNA and mine!"

"Impressive, you figured that out?" Sinister grinned. "I give you twenty-four hours to reach a decision."

Another tesseract formed and Scalphunter, Vertigo and Sabretooth used it to leave the mansion. Sinister stayed a moment longer, knowing he was safe as long as he had Jean.

"Remember," he said, addressing Scott, "Jean is your wife and LeBeau is only… an experiment."

Those words infuriated all X-Men, but they held back their anger as Sinister vanished.

"Scott," Charles started.

"Leave me alone!" Scott exclaimed and dashed out of the medlab.

"Lemme talk to him," Logan whispered and hurried after their team leader, who didn’t look that fearless any longer.

///

"We're leaving!" Magneto said and decided against calling a cab. They would travel faster in a sphere and it was apparent that Drake needed medical attention. The young man was shaking; his eyes had turned feverish and he was quickly falling unconscious. Originally he'd never planned on taking them to the mansion. He would have gone into hiding the moment the X-Men would have showed up to drive them home.

"Bobby's gettin' worse," Remy muttered concerned. "What if dat shuriken was poisoned?" Bobby's eyes told him not to go there, but he couldn't help himself. Because of the link he sensed his lover's pain and even managed to absorb most of it, but he couldn't influence Bobby's physical condition… he wanted to help so badly.

Magneto gently pushed them outside, guided them to the trees and created a sphere. As they floated through the air he wondered what to do upon arrival at the mansion. He couldn't reveal his presence to the X-Men! But looking at Drake he realized he had to make sure the young man was delivered to McCoy's doorstep.

Remy had long wrapped his arms around Bobby. "Y've got t' hold on, cher. Henri will take care of y," he said reassuringly. As Bobby rested his head against his shoulder Remy pulled him even closer, while concentrating on the last remnant of pain running through Bobby's body and reaching out to pull it into himself.

"What the hell are you doing?" Bobby suddenly whispered, finally realizing why he hadn't been in any real pain. "Remy, stop this now, please love." His eyes turned dark. "I mean it," he added, not paying any attention to Magneto who was listening intently to each word they said. "You've got too many things to deal with as it is. I don't want my pain added to that burden. I can deal with this."

Bobby's tone indicated he was deadly serious, but Remy couldn't bring himself to let go of the pain. The very thought of his lover suffering any pain at all was unbearable and out of the question! "Cher, lemme," he whispered. "I want t' help. It was my fault y' got hurt in de first place."

Bobby was about to object to that statement when he caught Magneto's expression. In those eyes lay great concern for the Cajun and Bobby shivered. How far would Magneto go to see Remy safe and why? These last weeks he had witnessed a side to Magneto he'd never suspected existed. Concentrating on his lover again Bobby recognized the vulnerability in those alien eyes. It mystified him how someone could describe them as devil's eyes. To him, they mirrored the depths of a troubled soul. "Okay, Remy. I trust you to know what you're doing, but if the pain gets too much, I want you to stop tapping in it."

Remy nodded his head, relieved that Bobby allowed him to make this contribution. This was his mistake after all. Sinister was after him, only him. Everyone else was an innocent bystander.

Bobby listened to the soft thump of Remy's beating heart and slowly shook his head. Why was Remy blaming himself for this? The link still gave him full access to his lover's mind and he hoped that Remy wouldn't shut it down, ever! He needed this connection! Without it, he might never be able to REALLY reach Remy!

"It's time to descend," Magneto informed them quietly. "I won't be accompanying you the last few steps."

Remy's eyes dilated, never expecting Magneto to leave them, but then he berated himself. The mutant had already pointed out that he had no desire to step inside the mansion.

"Remy?" Bobby said, as smoke emanated from the house. "Looks like they might need help."

"They're under attack?" Magneto asked mystified. "Who would dare to…?" Alerted, Magneto noticed one person leaving the mansion. "Marauders?"

Remy shivered and Bobby instinctively tried to soothe him. "But we left them behind in Paris!"

Magneto took a deep breath. What if Charles had been injured? He couldn't leave Remy here if the X-Men were weakened! There was no other solution. He had to find out what was happening himself. Once more creating a sphere they approached the mansion. It was a good thing the sphere kept out the freezing cold, as snow still covered the land. He'd noticed Remy's distant glance at seeing the snow. Not feeling the cold would help the Cajun to focus on other problems.

//Cher?// Remy gently probed Bobby's thoughts and only encountered concern for his fellow X-Men, no pain.

//I'm fine,// Bobby assured him, wondering just how much pain Remy was absorbing.

Magneto gestured them to follow him into the house after they'd made contact with the earth once more. He took the lead in case they ran into any remaining Marauders. Softly, he chuckled. Who would have thought that he would one day sneak into the mansion to deliver two X-Men to Charles?

Remy picked up on that amusement and smiled warmly. Bobby however, shivered violently against him. "We'll take y' t' de medlab, cher."

Bobby nodded. "I'm not looking forward to Hank's poking though!"

Smiling, Remy took a deep breath. He would have to tell them about the Marauders, he realized. What would the X-Men's reaction be like? After all they had been through together recently he couldn't fool himself into believing they would tell him to leave. He'd learned the hard way that they CARED about him. If only that truth would register in his heart as well! His musings broke as he sensed someone near… someone he knew well. "Magnus?" Remy whispered. "We're not 'lone in here."

Magneto stopped in his tracks. "Whose thoughts are you picking up?"

"De professor an' Henri," Remy whispered softly.

Charles' head jerked back, sensing the three men in the next corridor. It was too late though to stop Hank from taking that turn. Given the opportunity he would have liked to talk to Magnus in private first. His students hadn't yet recovered from Sinister's sudden appearance and finding another enemy in their home would only increase their anxiety. "Henry, wait!"

But it was too late.

Hank took that next step and sucked in his breath. "Professor, call the others!" he instructed upon seeing Magneto that close to his friends. Bobby's paleness, the sweat-covered brow worried him.

Charles moved next to him and slowly placed a hand on Hank's shoulder. "Magneto has come here as a friend. Trust me, Henry." He was asking a lot of McCoy, knowing damn well they had no reason to trust him, not after Onslaught, but he had to believe his students would pull through!

Bobby was the first to react. Remy was too confused to say anything, Bobby picked up that much from the link and Magneto deemed it best to let Charles do the talking. "The professor is right, Hank. Magneto here saved Remy's life and mine… more than once."

Hank, although not yet convinced, had little choice as to believe his mentor and best friend. Ignoring Magneto he advanced on Bobby. Xavier had informed him that Riptide had injured his friend. "Let's get you to the medlab," he sighed. "Although I wonder if the equipment is still functioning properly."

"Yes," Magneto cut in, "I saw Marauders running away from the mansion. What happened?"

Charles pondered his options and made a decision. "Henry, please take Remy and Bobby to the medlab and make sure their needs are taken care of. Magnus and I… need to discuss matters with Scott."

An ominous sensation almost swept Remy off his feet. The discomfort originated from the professor, but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get to the source of it. One admonishing glance from Xavier told him the professor had felt him reach out. Reluctantly, Remy pulled Bobby with him as they followed Hank out of the corridor. Shivering, Remy stared at the floor. //Mon Dieu,// he thought and was immediately soothed by Bobby's concern, having felt his puzzlement. "It's not'ing, cher," he said in a soft tone, but was determined to investigate this discomfort once Henri had taken care of his lover.

"With Scott?" Magneto asked.

"There have been certain developments," Charles replied in a tired tone. "Please remain calm once the other X-Men find out you're here, Magnus."

"I'll try, but you better keep that Canadian under control!" Magneto sighed, Charles had skilfully avoided answering his question.

Charles sensed his students' thoughts and steeled himself. This was a bad time to introduce Magneto as Bobby and Remy's saviour, but they needed all the help they could get against Sinister.

Logan's nose picked up the scent first. "Stop in yar tracks," he told Warren and Storm. "Trouble ahead."

"Goddess, what is it this time?" Ororo muttered and mentally prepared herself for another attack.

"Magneto," Logan informed her and unsheathed his claws.

//Logan, Ororo, Warren, listen to me. Do not attack.// Charles told them and hoped they would listen. //When I referred to an old friend watching over Remy and Bobby I was talking about Magneto.//

"Do you really think they're going to believe that?" Magneto couldn't help being amused. This situation was so absurd!

Logan remained poised, but listened closely to the voice in his head. Over the years Charles had been the one person he'd come to trust completely. Even Onslaught hadn't changed that. Xavier had saved his soul a long time ago, but trusting Magneto?

//I'm not asking you to trust him,// Charles added and slowly ventured around the corner to face his students. "I'm merely asking you not to attack him."

Storm seemed troubled, but wasn't ready for another battle, not after these recent developments. Sinister had captured Jean and was still after Remy. She would go to great lengths to see her brother safe and if Magneto had watched over her friend… "We won't attack him."

Warren raised an eyebrow. "Storm, is that a wise thing to do?"

"Wise? Maybe not," Storm admitted, "But calculated risks might be necessary in order to get Jean back and Magneto would be a great help."

"Why not contact the medlab and see if he really returned Bobby and Remy?" Warren suggested.

"Kid's got a good idea," Logan mused and accessed a com. "Hank, are ya there?"

"Busy, my friend. Can this wait?" Hank said impatiently.

"Professor here says that Mags delivered our Ice cube and Gumbo at yar doorstep…" Logan asked in a determined tone. "That true?"

"Yes, my suspicious friend," Hank informed him. "Riptide injured Bobby and the wound's infected but he'll be icing up your bath room in a few days. Remy is a little tired, but unharmed."

"It seems the professor spoke the truth then," Storm pointed out to them and held Warren and Logan's eyes. "We've taken risks before, my friends."

"True," Logan admitted reluctantly. "Tell Mags to keep outa my way," Logan growled as Charles' approval at their decision floated into his mind.

Charles nodded towards Magneto. "This is a truce then?"

Magneto realized he was too involved in this matter to leave now. "Truce…"

They were studying each other intently. Logan's claws were still extended and he kept his distance as Xavier and Magneto stood opposite them. He realized with a start that Xavier actually trusted Magneto and Logan wasn't sure how to feel about that. They had fought Magneto too many times!

Storm remained regal, hardly showing any discomfort, but Warren felt nervous. Recently it had become increasing difficult to tell friend from foe and Magneto's appearance confused him. The fact that an enemy had saved Bobby and Remy baffled him.

"Did you manage to talk to Scott?" Charles asked Logan.

"Nope," Logan replied in a cautious tone, never taking his eyes off Magneto. "Slammed the door in my face. He needs to calm down first."

"I'll try to talk to him," Charles decided, gesturing Magneto to accompany him before realizing that his X-Men planned on tagging along. "This isn't necessary," he said, feeling strangely pleased. "Magnus means no harm."

"Not this time," Magneto stated in an amused tone.

Charles sighed. "You're not helping."

"Didn't know I was supposed to," Magneto chuckled, a little stunned at the effect Remy was having on him. Ever since he'd found the Cajun he'd rediscovered his sense of humor… no, a sense of being alive and it felt damned good!

"We're comin' 'long," Logan stated firmly. "Not leavin' ya with that killer!" Charles' eyes suddenly radiated a fury Logan had seldom seen before, but the professor bit back his remark.

Somewhat apologetically he looked up at Magneto. "Logan here feels… rather strongly about this."

Magneto shrugged his shoulders. Right now the remaining X-Men presented no danger to him. "We have better things to do than to quarrel."

"Agreed," Storm said softly. "We need to get Jean back. The Goddess will help us."

"I believe in help thy self," Magneto said, wondering about her remark. Had something happened to Jean Grey?

Charles picked up on that thought. "Sinister attacked the mansion," he updated his old friend and started making his way to the hanger. His senses had long told him were to find his student. "He sedated Jean and took her with him."

"He wants Remy," Magneto finished. Logan's eyes stung his back.

Logan pondered his next remark. "Ya gotten close to Gumbo since savin' his ass?"

Warren and Storm shot him a surprised look. "What are you talking about, my friend?" Storm asked.

"I smelled Mags here on the kid when he returned from the ice. Gumbo wasn't going to confirm that though."

"I didn't want my involvement revealed." Magneto smiled. Only Charles caught that smirk and Magneto realized this secret was about to become public knowledge. "I'm only going to tell it once, so we better wait until we're complete."

Charles nodded his approval. "Yes, Scott has a right to hear this and there are certain things you need to know as well."

"Like what?" Magneto asked puzzled.

"We ran some tests on Remy's DNA and found that Sinister used Jean and Scott's DNA to… create Remy. There's a third unknown party but…" Charles felt Scott's rage seep into his mind and ignored Magneto's surprised expression. //Scott? We need to talk,// he sent his student. //We need to deal with this as a team.//

"You know how to get to him," Warren said appreciatively. Being their team leader was something Scott took VERY seriously.

"It is the truth," Storm whispered approvingly.

The doors opened and slowly the group moved inside. Scott was in the opposite corner, but now approached them.

"Professor, I mean no disrespect, but I want to be alone," Scott said earnestly. Only slowly did he register Magneto's presence. Why weren't they attacking the enemy? "Professor…"

"Magneto is here to help." Charles reached out to his student, knowing how important it was for Scott to know the truth. Telepathically he showed Scott that Magneto had returned Remy and Bobby to them.

"Remy's safe?" Scott whispered. A sigh left his lips. "Keep him away from Sinister."

"We will," Logan promised.

Tension hung heavy as each knew they had to address matters, but none could force themselves to make that first step. In the end it was Magneto who broke the silence. "What are your planes, Charles?"

Xavier turned his regard to Scott. "What do you want us to do?"

"I want Jean back." It was as simple as that, Scott realized. "I want Jean back, Remy safe and Sinister's ass kicked to hell!"

Logan grinned. "I like the way ya think, Cyke."

"I still can't believe that Remy is… my son…" Scott admitted. "It's such a strange feeling."

"I understand that…" Magneto interrupted, startling them all. He didn't really want to share this with them, but only together might they be strong enough to deal with Sinister. Alone, they would never manage to terminate the mutant’s existence and Magneto knew that was what needed to be done if they wanted to ensure Remy's safety. The mad physician would never give up.

"Magnus?" Charles felt a revelation at the edges of Magneto's mind, but…

"25 years ago Sinister stole my DNA as well." Magneto walked over to Scott. "Charles mentioned a third party?"

"My DNA acted as a catalyst according to Hank…" Scott whispered, suddenly refusing to let go of Magneto's eyes. "What are you trying to say?"

"I never really considered it before." Magneto slowly paced the room now, disliking intensely the fact that he had to reveal this to them. "But when I found Remy in Antarctica he should have been dead. Nobody could have survived that long on the ice."

"You found him?" Scott muttered in disbelief. This enemy had saved Remy's life?

Magneto merely nodded his head. How to explain this to them? Why did he have to give away this much? "I assumed he had somehow found a way to charge his body in order to keep warm, to survive."

"What?" Warren exclaimed. "Charge his own body?" and shuddered, when sad eyes focused on him. He'd never before seen such sadness in Magneto's eyes.

"Believe me young man when I say that people do impossible things to remain alive…" he started, but was unable to finish as the images from the holocaust flooded his memory. "But I was wrong." He finished quietly.

"Magnus, we don't have time for this!" Charles said, irritated. "We need to focus on Jean!"

"What I'm trying to say is that Remy must have created a sphere around him to keep out the cold!" Magneto hissed in a vehement tone.

"You?" Scott whispered shocked.

Impatiently Magneto stared at the door. "I don't know for sure, I only have suspicions, but… Now that I know Sinister had a hand in this…"

"You're the third party?" Storm asked, horrified that Sinister had experimented with stolen DNA like that.

"I think so," Magneto stated. "I'm willing to submit to a DNA test to make sure. If he's my son as well…" and locked eyes with Scott.

"I always did wonder about your interest in Remy," Charles mused. "But I suggest we see to that test after we get Jean back."

"I don't want Remy to know any of this, not yet!" Magneto stated his voice full of resolve. "He's depressed and afraid." He vividly remembered the frightened young man he had found in Antarctica.

"Never thought I'd ever say this, but I agree, for Remy's sake we've got to keep quiet until Jean's back," Scott took over, still trying to get used to the idea of Magneto's DNA being mixed up with Jean's and his inside Remy LeBeau. "My God, how strong is he really?"

They immediately knew what Scott was hinting at. "His telepathic and telekinetic powers have already manifested," Charles told them.

"Telekinetic?" Storm asked, concerned for her friend.

"Bobby contacted me before the Marauders attacked and confirmed Remy has also displayed that ability and no," Charles said in a fatigued tone and studied Magnus. "Bobby doesn't know about Remy's… parents. Remy is strong enough to read that in Bobby's mind and I don't want to take that risk. That's why I sent them to Paris." The professor looked worried as he locked eyes with his old friend. "I fear Remy might display other abilities as well shortly."

"This is trouble!" Logan shook his head. "Kid won't be able to deal with this!"

Magneto had to agree. "We need to proceed with caution."

Scott had walked up to Magneto and seemed to reach a decision after a struggling with a dilemma. "We need to talk in private, just you and me."

"Yes, we should do that," Magneto gestured Scott to walk in to the corridor and then followed quickly.

"What can we do to help?" Storm offered.

"We need to pinpoint Sinister's location," Charles realized. "We only stand a chance if we can carry out a surprise attack."

"What are ya waiting for? Use Cerebro!" Logan suggested and enjoyed seeing Xavier's nod of approval. There would go down fighting if necessary!

///

"Try to sleep," Hank adviced his new patient and best friend. He'd taken his time to examine Bobby's injured shoulder and felt confident the infection had been stopped before it could spread further. "All you need now is rest, Robert."

"I hate it when he calls me that," Bobby groused quietly to Remy who was still at his side. "I wish you would stop absorbing my pain though," he whispered and smiled weakly. The expression in Remy's eyes was undeniably sad.

Remy didn't reply, either vocally or telepathically. Instead he reassuringly squeezed Bobby's right hand. "Y' listen t' Henri, cher an' close dose eyes."

Hank listened closely to their conversation, unhappy with the idea of Remy using his mental powers to take away Bobby's pain. The Cajun looked too fragile as it was. "Why don't you lie down as well?" he suggested and pointed Remy to a bed.

"Non, I ain't tired," Remy objected strongly.

"Remy," Hank started, trying hard not to think about the results of that DNA test, "humor me." Even if Remy asked him about the blood sample, Hank was determined not to answer that question.

Bobby had fallen asleep; still tightly holding Remy's hand and Hank shook his head, despairing about the Cajun. "Remy, I know you… dislike the medlab, but Bobby is here and there is an unoccupied bed… For all I care you can sneak in to Robert's bed, just get some rest," he said, stressing those last four words.

It occurred to Remy that the best thing to do was to play along, because the more he objected, the longer McCoy would keep harassing him to give in. //Play it smart!// he told himself and decided to lie down next to Bobby, crawling underneath the blankets to hold his lover in his sleep. Ignoring Hank's amused look he wrapped his arms around Bobby. "Where's Jean? Haven' seen her 'round… or sensed her," he asked, as he couldn't pick her thoughts up in the mansion.

"She's on her way to Muir Island," Hank said, expecting that question sooner or later. Thankfully he had also prepared a believable answer.

"Muir Islan'?" Remy repeated softly. Why would she go to Muir Island? It didn't make sense, except if… He hated probing Hank's thoughts, but had no choice. He feared something bad had happened during his absence. Hank's resistance however, was stronger than he expected and it slowed him down until fatigue overwhelmed him.

Now that he was lying down, soothed by Bobby's peaceful dreams, he was quickly falling asleep as well. //I don' wanna fall 'sleep.// Remy's trembling hand tangled gently in Bobby's hair. //Not 'til I know why Jean ain't here!// But he lost the struggle, as Bobby's dreams lured him closer and when he realized they were of an intimate nature he gave in, helpless to resist.

"Good," Hank muttered pleased, seeing them soundly sleep at last. "And I'm going to take good care of the both of you!"

///

Scott waited for Magneto to speak first. Feeling lost in all recent developments he found himself in an unfamiliar situation. He considered Remy kin, family and knew Jean expected him to fight until his last breath to protect Remy, but now Magneto claimed Remy too. They had to reach some kind of agreement. "Remy will end up hurt if we don't work this out," he said eventually as Magneto remained silent.

"The truth might destroy him," Magneto whispered and halted. They'd reached the living room, which was empty.

Scott looked up questioningly and he wished Magneto would explain that remark.

"We both know Remy well enough to picture his reaction," Magneto said. "Once he realizes Sinister used stolen DNA to 'construct’ him… Remy will think that he has no right to exist. He's already depressed, more than he wants anyone to know and this might push him over the edge."

"What do you suggest we do?" Scott wanted to know.

For once Magneto didn't have all the answers. "I don't know," he admitted fatigued and sat down on the couch, staring at his hands. "We should take this one step at a time. First we need to deal with Sinister."

Scott took a seat as well, keeping his distance though. "What do you know about Remy's past?" he asked unexpectedly.

"Enough to realize he never properly dealt with it," Magneto remarked in an odd tone. "The boy craves love, acceptance and protection, but in order to survive he detached himself from his true feelings, his true self." Looking Scott in the eyes he continued. "It's easier to give in than to fight."

"I saw some of the things Sinister did to him telepathically," Scott whispered, not really listening to Magneto. He needed to say this, needed to get it out of his system. Now that Jean wasn't here he didn't know whom to turn to. Magneto and he suddenly shared this strange connection, a bond, which had formed because they cared deeply about Remy so he found himself confiding in his former enemy. "I can't bear the thought of Sinister getting his hands on Remy again."

"But he has your wife," Magneto said thoughtfully, wondering how deep Scott's feelings ran for Remy. He had to be sure Remy could count on Scott if necessary.

"Yes, I know that!" Scott slammed a fist in to the coffee table. "But I also know Jean wants me to defend and protect Remy from Sinister even if she gets killed in the process!"

"We'll find her," Magneto whispered. "She's Remy's mother… The three of us share something very special, a bond that can break or make Remy. We'll have to deal with Sinister once and for all. I don't want him haunting my son's dreams or threatening his mother…"

Scott laughed in spite of everything. It almost sounded like Magneto had adopted Jean and he as his family as well. "You've got strong feelings for Remy."

"I'm proud he has come this far," Magneto said and looked at Scott. "Coming here after you left him in Antarctica was hard on him."

Accusation stood between them and Scott swallowed hard. "I regret making that mistake more than you can ever imagine. Not only because Remy's my son, but because I failed a team member."

Magneto's words vanished before they'd been spoken. He'd wanted to question Scott about the incident but this admission answered his questions.

"Looks like we both consider Remy our son?" Scott said in a questioning tone.

"Yes. I definitely think of him as my son," Magneto admitted and during that moment a pact was made, an agreement reached. They would set aside their differences and be there for Remy should he need them.

"You know that Jean won't let us near Remy for the first few days? Her motherly, protective, feelings kicked in big time. She'll probably hug him to death," Scott smiled, remembering the passion with which she'd accepted Remy as her son.

"Having a loving mother might be the best thing for Remy," Magneto said and got to his feet. "It will take a lot of love and understanding to get through to him." Resolved, he extended his hand.

Scott briefly stared at it, reminding himself why he was doing this and took it.

///

Remy opened his eyes and immediately checked the time. Sighing, he realized he'd only been asleep for one hour. As he looked at Bobby he sensed his lover's deep contentment and Remy allowed himself a moment to savor this heavenly bliss. It might be his last if his suspicions proved correct.

Slipping out of bed he carefully tucked the blankets around his lover's body. Bobby had developed a fever due to the infected wound and was now muttering softly in his sleep at the loss of the warm body close to him. "Got t' do dis, cher, please forgive," he whispered and placed a kiss on the feverish brow. It almost physically hurt to step away from his lover, but he had to get his answers!

After sitting down at Hank's computer his fingers moved quickly over the keyboard. Hank wouldn't tell him the truth so he had to find out another way. The security cams might have recorded something! Patiently, he accessed the most recent recordings and found the X-Men on their way back from the medlab, looking severely disturbed. Maybe he should try and get some footage of the fight against the Marauders. Hank had mentioned the medlab being damaged.

A moment later he found what he was looking for and hardly suppressed a yelp seeing Sinister on screen, holding an unconscious Jean in his arms. After he'd handed her to Harpoon, Sinister seemed to address Scott.

Remy shuddered. Scott's entire body language spoke of fear of losing his wife and showed the hatred he felt for the man who had taken her away from him. His hands shook violently as he raised the volume level to hear Sinister's words.

//I don' need t' hear dem t' know what he's sayin',// Remy realized frightened, but he had to listen nonetheless. Goose flesh covered his body at hearing that horrific voice. That voice woke memories, which had been locked away deep in his mind and suddenly he wondered…Why hadn't he remembered Sinister holding him prisoner when he'd sought the mad mutant out before the Massacre? Why…? Why had his memories returned now? It had started with one dream that had freaked him out! Had Sinister some kind of control over his memories? How, why? Shuddering, Remy halted, reluctant to learn Sinister's demand. //Stop kiddin' y'rself! Y' know what he wants!//

Bobby moaned softly and Remy immediately returned to his lover. If Bobby needed him he had to get back in bed, couldn't listen to Sinister's recorded voice, could pretend this wasn't happening… //Am I dat great a coward?// he chided himself.

After reassuring himself that Bobby was fine he walked back to the computer and stared at the paused image. Looking his nemesis in the eyes his finger hit the button and Sinister's voice crept in to the medlab, too soft to reach Bobby who was deeply asleep.

"I give you 24 hours to reach a decision. Remember," Sinister said, addressing Scott, "Jean is your wife and LeBeau is only… an experiment."

Remy stopped the recording as tears, fears and pain surfaced. //LeBeau is only… an experiment. LeBeau is only… an experiment. LeBeau is only… an experiment. LeBeau is only… an experiment…// The words echoed in his mind. "I'm only a fuckin' experiment!" he spat in self-hate. //Jean is Scott's wife an' I'm only…// Unable to finish that thought he wiped away the tears which had escaped his eyes. Bobby's love had almost made him forget what he was, an experiment.

What the hell was he still doing here? Sinister could be hurting Jean at this very moment and he was standing here, crying because of a love he had to leave behind. //I never understood why y' loved me, cher.// It was the truth. Yes, he KNEW Bobby loved him. Remy just couldn't figure out why. He didn't deserve Bobby's love.

Slouching over to the bed Remy wondered what to say. Bobby wouldn't hear him anyway, which was a comforting thought. "Cher, I'm sorry. I'm sorry Stormy ever took me here. I'm sorry we ever met. I'm sorry y' fell in love wid me. Y' can do much better, cher. Y're only wastin' y'r time wid me. I ain't word it."

//Only an experiment. I'm only an experiment…// "Cher, watch over Jean f'r me when she gets back… //Mon Dieu… Cyke! Scott…// and stared at the door. Why hadn't Scott appeared yet to talk to him about Sinister? After all, he was the reason why Jean had been taken. "Cyke must hate me," he whispered to an oblivious Bobby. "I never wanted him t' lose Jean 'cause of me! Dis is such a mess. Dere's only one t'ing I can do t' set dis straight, cher. Please forgive me. I'll always love y'," he sobbed softly, then forced himself to regain his composure and removed the ring from his finger.

"Y' keep dis. I don' want Sinister t' get his hands on it." Leaning in closer he brushed Bobby's lips on last time. "I don' want t' leave y', cher," he muttered helplessly as his fingers caressed a strand of Bobby's hair. "Y're de first person t' love me in spite of what I am. But I can' fail Jean. Sinister will hurt her if I don' show up."

His fingers refused to let go of the lock of soft hair, but he twisted around in one angry motion. There was no time to lose. He had to rectify his mistakes. //Shouldn' have run from Sinister in Paris, den dis would never have happened!// Right now he hated himself for fighting Sinister. If he had surrendered straight away Bobby wouldn't have been injured and Jean… //Scott must hate me…// Sadness settled into his heart as he walked out of the Medlab. For a thief the mansion's security system provided no barrier and he easily slipped outside unnoticed.

///

Looking back at the mansion he still sensed Bobby's presence and realized he'd taken a coward's way out by saying good-bye while his lover had been asleep. //I no longer have a lover!// he reprimanded himself. //I jus' deserted him…//

"Look what the cat dragged in!" Scalphunter said, stepping away from the cover of the trees.

Remy flinched involuntarily although he'd sensed the Marauder's presence since he'd left the mansion. Without any doubt Sinister had ordered Scalphunter to stay behind in case he'd show up. "Is she unharmed?" he asked worried.

"You know the boss…" Scalphunter replied and picked something up from the ground.

Yes, he did. Sinister would let her go if he kept his part of the bargain… //Hope is all I've got left!//

"The boss wants you to put this on first." Scalphunter leaned against a tree and extended his hand. "Only then will he consider letting her go. Take it or leave it."

//A Genoshan collar.// Putting it on meant losing his powers, losing himself. His hand trembled fiercely as he took hold of it. Stalling for time, he stared at it. Giving in to this demand made everything final. He'd have no way left to fight Sinister if the maniac intended to keep her a prisoner. But he couldn't take the risk of endangering her life!

Scalphunter's grin infuriated and scared Remy at the same time. Feeling nauseous he placed the collar around his neck and cringed at the sudden loss of his powers. Unable to read anything telepathically, loneliness crushed in on him. Bobby's presence, however weak, was gone and he felt terribly alone. //But if Sinister releases Jean, it's word it!//

"Get going!" Scalphunter said and pushed his prisoner to the right where a terresect appeared. "It's time to go home, son!" he quipped in a diabolical tone.

Remy's eyes watered, filling with unimaginable sorrow. He was returning to Sinister's 'care' voluntarily, leaving behind his one true love to save Jean who had supported him when he'd needed it most. As he stepped in to the terresect he remembered Jean pulling him in to the house after Magneto had dropped him off. Vividly remembered her sitting with him when he'd woken in Bobby's arms after that first terrible nightmare featuring Sinister… the handcuffs she had given them, which they had never used, would never use. He owed her and it was time to pay his debts.

///

Bobby woke because an emptiness he'd never felt before was viciously ripping him apart. Instinctively he reached out to Remy, concerned that something was wrong with his lover. //Remy?// The Cajun didn't reply and almost panicking, Bobby's eyes snapped open. Something was wrong, very wrong! "Hank?" he called out loud, but then he realized he was alone in the medlab. Where was Remy? His lover had been at his side when he'd fallen asleep!

The emptiness inside his mind was terrifying. He'd gotten so used to hearing Remy's thoughts that he felt disoriented without them. "Remy?" Sitting upright he cringed at the stabbing pain emanating from his shoulder. //Guess that means Remy is no longer absorbing the ache. Where did he go?//

Suddenly a small item dropped on to the floor. It created a hollow metallic sound, which cut through the medlab. His heart pounded as he recognized Remy's ring. "What the hell?" he whispered apprehensively. Biting down the pain he swung his feet on to the floor and managed to pick the ring up. 'Forever, my angel,' he read the inscription. "My God, Remy…" he mumbled startled. //Remy!// he screamed in panic.

Charles cried out as well as Cerebro catapulted that thought in to his mind. Immediately he disentangled himself and called Magnus and Scott to the room. //Bobby? What's wrong?//

//It's Remy, professor. I can no longer feel him. The link is gone!// Bobby's thoughts mirrored his shaky tone. //Where the hell is he?//

//I'm working on it,// Charles promised and used Cerebro to enhance his own power. Trying hard not to give in to Bobby's panic he searched the mansion for Remy, but quickly realized his attempt was in vain. Remy had left the house and the premises.

"You called, sir?" Scott asked and watched Magneto closely as he stepped in to the room. For Remy's sake he would give Magneto a chance to prove he was sincere. // But if he betrays Remy… //

"Remy has left the mansion," Charles started, but before he could continue both men's glances turned to angry glares. "He must have found out about Sinister taking Jean."

"How?" Magnus' voice sounded chilling. "I thought he was in the medlab with Drake." Although he appeared composed on the outside his emotions were raging with worry for his son. "Now Sinister has them both," he whispered infuriated! "We should have known Remy would try and find out what was going on! We've been fools!"

Scott took a deep breath. After losing his wife he had now also lost his son to Sinister. He needed to do something, to take charge, to know he wasn't helpless.

Charles sensed Scott's need and said, "Why don't you go and fill in Bobby? He's the only one who doesn't know what's going on." It would give Scott something useful to do and he needed to talk to Magnus in private.

"Sir," Scott said hesitantly. "What if…?" //What if I never get them back? What if Sinister…?//

//Stop that, Scott. We've fought Sinister before and this time we've a better reason for going in than we ever had before. We'll get them back. Now go and talk to Bobby. He's panicking and… terrified.//

Scott nodded his head, feeling strangely numb inside. As he left the room to head for the medlab he vowed to get Bobby through this. The young man had just lost his lover… //my son…// he realized suddenly. Yes, maybe he could make himself useful and comfort Bobby.

"Magnus?" Charles addressed him the moment the door closed behind Scott. "Are you going to stay?"

"Of course I am!" Magneto stated irritably. "You know damn well we need each other if we want to beat Sinister!"

Charles felt the simmering emotions underneath Magneto's exterior. "I must admit to being surprised. I knew you cared about Remy but…"

Magneto didn't know how to explain this, but decided to try. "It started the first time Remy and I talked. He was so lonely, so scared. His so called charm power terrified him and…" Magneto sucked in a deep breath. "His eyes reminded me of the children in the camps. Maybe I'm the only one here who really understands what he went through during his childhood." Magneto forced himself to analyse his own feelings. "Even if Remy isn't my son I want him safe. He's a lost soul, Charles and it doesn't have to be that way! Not if we can get Dr. Mengele out of his life!"

"You're scared," Charles suddenly realized. "Scared that Sinister will damage Remy so badly the young man will give up on himself."

"He's already done that," Magneto replied, locking eyes with Xavier. "The only thing keeping him back from sinking in to complete depression is his lover."

Charles acknowledged the accusation in his friend's tone. "I should have done something, I know." It was unforgivable that he had neglected one of his student's needs.

Magneto shook the unease from his mind and focused on the things he could do to help his son. "Did you manage to pinpoint Sinister's location?"

Slowly, Charles nodded his head as Cerebro sent him new information. "I did," he whispered and felt a rush of hope. "I'll tell my X-Men to get ready. We'll take the Blackbird. You're coming with us?"

"Oh yes," Magneto growled. "Count me in."

///

Scott released a deep sigh before stepping in to the medlab. Hank was already present, trying to calm Bobby down who seemed intent on pacing the room, even in his weakened condition. Bobby's eyes were wide and revealed worry in its purest form. How should he break the news to Bobby that Sinister was behind Remy's 'creation' after all? In the end he opted for the direct approach as they were running out of time. "Robert, sit down. We need to talk."

Hearing Scott address him that formally Bobby stopped pacing and sat down in one of the chairs. "Where's Remy?" he demanded. He'd already tried leaving the medlab, but Hank had managed to keep him back.

Scott slowly shook his head and exchanged a look of understanding with Hank. There were so many things they had to discuss and he didn't know how to start.

"I'll leave you alone," Hank said and quickly left the medlab, realizing Scott's need for privacy.

"Scott, what's going on? I demand to know why…" Bobby forced himself to remain seated. Why were they so determined to keep him in here? He had a right to search for his lover!

"Bobby, give me a chance to explain things to you, please," Scott pleaded and took a seat opposite the younger man. Bobby grew silent, apparently giving him that chance, but Scott didn't know what to say or where to start. Then his eyes fixed on Bobby's hand and he realized the young man was wearing =two= rings. One of those had to be Remy's and Scott cursed himself for having stayed in the hanger instead of hurrying down here to talk to Remy. This was his fault! //Jean is gone for a few hours and I screw up!//

"Scott? You're telling me what happened or?" Bobby urged him on. It was killing him to sit here helplessly. There had to be something he could do to find Remy. Why had his lover left the medlab like this and where the hell was he? The thing that worried him most was that Remy had left the ring behind. Like this was supposed to be some kind of good-bye…

//Scott?//

Xavier's thoughts gently rolled in to his mind and after looking at Bobby, Scott realized he was the only one receiving them. //Yes, sir?// Scott replied, trying to figure out if he felt thankful or irritated at this interruption.

//Warren just informed me that Remy accessed the security cam files. We can assume Remy knows about Sinister's demand.// Xavier's concern accompanied that information. //My guess is he left the mansion to turn himself in to Sinister to get Jean back.//

"Damn!' Scott exclaimed infuriated. He immediately registered Bobby's puzzled expression as those words tumbled from his lips. They were running out of time and he had to trust Bobby to be able to deal with this. There was no way to break it gently so he said, "Bobby, Sinister and the Marauders took Jean. Before Sinister left he told us that he'll let her go in return for Remy. We're afraid he…" Scott flinched seeing sudden understanding in Bobby's eyes and blamed himself for letting Remy slip through his fingers. "I'm sorry, Bobby. I should have come to the medlab the moment the two of you arrived, but… //I was too busy feeling sorry for myself. Team leader? Team failure!// he scolded himself.

Enraged, Bobby stared at the two rings. Sinister had abducted Jean? //That's why we saw one Marauder running away from the mansion. Damn it Remy! You shouldn't have left like that. You should have learned by now that you can trust us to help! Why do you always do these things? Remy, I'm scared. I don't want to lose you, but…//

"This is so much like Remy!" Bobby whispered softly and suspected Remy had made his decision the moment he'd learned what Sinister had done. Remy adored Jean as she was one of the few people, who had accepted his presence and had stood beside him after learning his secrets.

"Damn it, Scott! Remy will do anything to make sure Sinister releases her! Do you think that…" His voice faltered, the very thought of Remy being at Sinister's mercy made him feel sick. "Scott, there's no way in hell Remy can deal with Sinister. The creep scares him gutless. We've got to try and…"

"There are other things you need to know," Scott said hesitantly, interrupting his friend. //I haven't yet started telling him the hardest part! I need to tell him about that fucking DNA cocktail Sinister used to…// but once more the professor interrupted him. //I got a fix on Sinister's location. We'll meet in the hanger.//

//Understood, sir,// Scott replied, relieved they had found a lead on Sinister's hiding place. He had to get them back, his wife and his son! Questioningly, he looked at Bobby. The younger man was injured and would seriously hamper the team when going after Sinister.

"Stay here until we get back? I promise we…" Scott started and then realized his mistake in judgement.

"No way! I'm coming along! I'm not going to sit here and wait! The injury doesn't bother me in my ice form!" Bobby's tone was determined and his hands had turned into fists. He would sneak into the Black Bird and hide until they landed if necessary. He wasn't going to desert his lover! "Let's get going! You can fill me in right now." Bobby iced up so the injury wouldn’t bother him and quickly left the medlab.

Scott managed to catch up with him. This wasn't the way he had pictured telling Bobby. He'd wanted to sit the young man down and explain in detail what they had learned from Remy's DNA. But this couldn't wait and Bobby had to know the truth when facing Sinister. "I don't know how to tell you this," Scott said softly.

Bobby looked up. "Just tell me!"

"Remember the professor asking Remy for a blood sample before the two of you headed for Paris?"

Bobby nodded his head.

"Well, Hank discovered that Remy's genes…" Giving up on finding a subtle way of explaining this he said, "Hank discovered that Jean's genes and mine were used to…'create' Remy. There is also a third party and we suspect it's Magneto, but…" Scott stopped running as Bobby came to a sudden halt.

"Say that again?" Bobby muttered perplexed.

"It's the truth, Bobby. Sinister…" Scott paused, uncertain what to say.

"Remy is your son? Is that what you're telling me?" Bobby tried to process this information and his heart missed a beat realizing Sinister =had= experimented with stolen DNA and Remy =was= the result of that experiment. "Remy, oh my God… this will destroy him!" Bobby tried imagining what Remy's reaction would be like and felt miserable.

"Bobby, Jean and I agreed that we'll do whatever necessary to get Remy back."

Bobby heard that particular tone in Scott's voice that he'd only witnessed a few times before. "You can accept this?" he asked hopefully. "Do you have any idea how much it would mean to Remy to be accepted in that way?"

"I think I do," Scott replied and pulled Bobby along, unwilling to waste a single moment. "Magneto pointed out the same thing and we agreed to do this together. We won't let Remy down."

Relieved, Bobby nodded his head. He was still trying to get used to this revelation. "Oh boy, so Remy now has two fathers and a mother?"

"Yes, it definitely looks like that," Scott confirmed as they turned the corner. The X-Men were already boarding the plane and Scott shivered slightly seeing Magneto among them. //How will he react in the heat of battle? I doubt he will follow orders…//

//Scott?// Xavier started and gestured the two men to come closer. "Magnus will be hard to… control. The best advice I can give you is to stay out of his way."

"Thanks!" Scott grunted, but felt the same way. "We'll get them back, sir, I promise!"

"Bobby?" Xavier said as Scott started to run for the plane. "Try getting close to Remy. I suspect he'll be heavily sedated or collared. Get him away from the fighting and establish some form of contact with him."

Bobby nodded his head once. "Consider it done." He was about to leave for the plane as well as he turned around. "Is it true? Did Sinister use their DNA to…"

"Yes, I'm sorry to say it's true. Remy doesn't know who his parents are yet and I suggest you don't tell him before you're safely back at the mansion." Xavier felt more concerned than he wanted anyone to know. "Now get going, Robert. And be careful!"

Bobby didn't need any encouragement and used an ice slide to board the plane. As he looked at Magneto's face he only saw concern.

Magneto moved to the back of the plane, sat down and let Scott pilot it. He didn't object as Bobby took a seat next to him.

"You're Remy's father too? This is confusing!" Bobby felt a little shy but since Paris he'd started to see Magneto in a different light.

"I certainly hope I am," Magneto said softly. "Remy is… important to me."

Bobby smiled, but the two rings quickly reminded him of the fact that he was cut off from his lover. "You like him a lot, don't you?"

Magneto returned that smile, however weakly. His eyes drifted away from Bobby and settled on Logan who was eying him suspiciously. "Yes, I care a great deal about Remy."

Logan raised an eyebrow at hearing that statement.

"When I found him on the ice… he was scared and confused. Remy worried about his charm power, that it would somehow seduce me. Truth is, I felt protective of him from the start." Magneto noticed that Logan averted his eyes and looked at Scott instead. The tension inside the plan was tangible.

Bobby's smile brightened a little as he looked at Remy's ring. "I think Remy would love having you for a father." Bobby vividly remembered the expression on his lover's face after Magneto had said good-bye on Christmas Eve. "Remy might not say it, but he likes you too."

Magneto leaned back and drew in a deep breath. "I'll kill Sinister for what he did to Remy… that's a promise!"

///

Sinister's lab

Slowly, Jean opened her eyes. Finding herself in unfamiliar territory she tried to take in her surroundings. She shuddered, finally remembering that a dart had buried itself in her flesh, rendering her unconscious. //This must be Sinister's lab,// she thought and tried reaching out with her mental powers, but… nothing happened.

Something heavy hung around her neck and her hands instinctively examined it. An inhibitor collar was blocking her powers. Frustrated she focused her attention back on the lab. She was in a cubicle made of glass and she barely had any space to move around. It allowed her to stretch to her full height and she could turn around, that was it.

Across from her stood the cylinders she remembered from Remy's memories. Even now Sinister was growing new clones to replace the Marauders he had lost in battle. Jean shivered, seeing the dead expression in the clones' blank eyes.

//Sinister, you'll you pay for what you did to Remy! How can you do such a thing to a child? You really are a monster!// Cursing the fact that she was helpless she checked her body for injuries, but found none. //What are you going to do next, Sinister?//

"Ah, my guest is awake!" Sinister purred, emerging from the shadows. Without her telepathy his prisoner hadn't been able to pick up his presence. "I hope you like your… temporary home."

"What do you want?" she spat and banged her fist against the glass. Seeing his ugly face filled Jean with rage. She wanted to make him suffer for what he had done to her son!

"You need to ask?" Sinister said truly surprised. "I want my test subject of course!"

"You'll never lay hands on Remy again! Scott will defend our son!" Jean stopped banging on the glass and instead shot him look filled with disgust. "He was only a child!"

Sinister laughed. "You don't seem to understand. LeBeau isn't your son. Don't give in to such sentimentality!" Sinister slowly approached her cell, relishing the shock on her face. "Oh yes, you may have supplied part of his DNA, but he's mine. LeBeau will always be my property!"

"He's no one's property!" she stated infuriated. "You’ve done enough damage."

"Damage?" Sinister said thoughtfully. "It was never my intention that he ended up on the streets. If Magneto hadn't attacked my lab he would never have left my care."

"Magneto?" Jean echoed. "What does he have to do with this?"

"I must admit to being impressed. I never thought you'd study LeBeau's DNA. Your discovery is most unfortunate."

Jean's instincts suddenly kicked in. "We were discussing Magneto!"

"Ah, you might as well know the truth. Magneto contributed to the experiment as well. Unwillingly perhaps but…"

"No," Jean moaned, realizing the truth. "You used Magneto's DNA as well as Scott's and mine?"

"Yes, that combination promised the best result. Unfortunately, the years LeBeau lived on the streets prevented his abilities from developing fully. When I talked him into working for me I hoped his telepathy had already kicked in, but no…

Imagine my surprise when my scanners suddenly picked up neural activity. LeBeau is almost a full-blown telepath and he has also displayed a talent for telekinesis. Of course I want him back! I need to examine and study his DNA so I can construct my final creation, my ultimate weapon!"

"You sick bastard," Jean hissed. "You've been setting him up, haven’t you? Why else would you want him involved in the Massacre?"

"Very perceptive!" Sinister had to admit. "I had hoped that such an exposure to pain would trigger his telepathy. And I had wanted the Morlocks eradicated for a long time. That way they even served a purpose, but LeBeau's shields were too strong… a pity."

"You ordered the Morlocks killed just to expose him to the pain? You wanted him to feel their terror?" Jean closed her eyes to regain her composure. "You hurt my son, Sinister. You will pay for that!"

"Promises, sweet promises," Sinister whispered amused. "May I point out to you that you're in no condition to threaten me?" He walked up to her cubicle and grinned maliciously.

Jean kicked at the glass wall. She wanted out! Wanted to wrap her hands around his throat and choke him… Kick him in the face, throw punches at him, but… he was right. She was helpless.

"Boss?"

Sinister turned around. "Yes, Harpoon?"

"Scalphunter just called in. He's got LeBeau!"

"Excellent," Sinister stated and turned back to his prisoner.

His eyes guided her to an exam table and she shivered. She'd seen the things he had done to Remy when he'd been a child. The thought of Remy being strapped to that contraption made her blood boil. "Don't you dare hurt him!"

Sinister's amused chuckle floated through the room. "It seems you possess more courage than LeBeau ever did." Sinister studied her and then added. "He's doing this because I promised to return you to the X-Men."

"No," Jean gasped. "Scott would never agree to that!" But in her heart she wasn't sure Scott would keep Remy from making the switch. Scott still hadn't come to terms with that fact that Remy was their son. //No, Scott will protect Remy… he has to!// Otherwise she'd been married to a stranger. The Scott she loved would never sacrifice their son to get his wife back.

"LeBeau sneaked out. They never knew he was missing, they were too busy mourning your departure… I know the way LeBeau thinks…" Sinister stepped away from the cubicle and stared at the entrance. "I need to get ready…"

Jean's eyes watered, but she kept the tears from flowing down her face. She had to be strong for Remy's sake, wait for her chance to escape and save her son! //Scott, don't let us down!//

///

Remy was near panic as Scalphunter lead him inside the lab, which he remembered from his nightmares. The cylinders, the exam table, the sterile smell… //Non, mon Dieu… I can' do dis!//

"Keep moving!" Scalphunter growled roughly, pushing his prisoner forward.

Remy almost stumbled over his own feet as Sinister stepped up to him, an exultant smile on his face. //Non, dis can' be happenin', please Dieu, help me!// He couldn't survive a second imprisonment, he couldn't!

"Remy!"

Jean's voice took him by surprise. Instinctively he turned around, ignoring Scalphunter's infuriated growl. "Jean!" he whispered softly. At least she was still alive. Seeing the collar around her neck he swallowed hard. She didn't deserve that. "Let her go," Remy said, addressing Sinister. Scalphunter gave him another firm push and he tripped, ending up on his knees in front of his nemeses. "Y' wanted m'. Y' got m', now let her go!"

"Making demands?" Sinister snapped half amused, half angered. Leaning forward he tapped against LeBeau's collar. "This is only the beginning!"

Remy flinched, as Sinister's fingertips caressed his skin. "Please let her go," he whispered.

"I will, but only when I deem the time is right. For now you'll cooperate, do you understand?"

Remy nodded his head. "Oui," he whispered, refusing to meet Jean's eyes. She had been trying to establish eye contact since he'd heard her voice, but he was afraid to look at her. //I'm de reason she's here…// and felt miserable for getting her involved in this.

"Lie down on the exam table," Sinister instructed, eager to find out if LeBeau would obey his orders. If LeBeau proved resistant he would break the man's spirit quickly.

Remy managed to get back to his feet, but seeing the exam table made him panic. "Non, not 'gain…" he moaned in pain. IV's had been set up close to the exam table and he knew that the moment he laid down he would be hooked up to them, his wrists and ankles bound and there would be no way of escape left. Remy started to struggle, to fight. He wasn't going near that exam table!

"Let him go, you bastard!" Jean yelled helplessly. If only she had her powers back, then she could protect him! "Let him go!" Jean's fist impacted, but the glass didn't give in. A tear flowed down her face as Scalphunter, Harpoon and Sinister himself pushed Remy down on to the exam table. Shackles snapped closed and Sinister started hooking him up to the IV's.

Remy heard Jean's screams and fought tears himself. He didn't want her to see him this way, this helpless, this horrified. Opening his eyes again he stared in to Sinister's. "Let her go," was all he managed to whisper. "I'll do whatever y' want m' t', please."

Sinister laughed coldly. "Ah, maybe I will let her go, maybe," he whispered, then cruelly inserted a needle in to Remy's left arm.

Remy's eyes widened, realizing what Sinister was doing. A sedative crept in to his blood stream and would render him unconscious. Finally, he found the courage to meet Jean's gaze and barely audible he whispered, "Je suis désolé, chere." Then his world darkened and cold paralysed his body. Closing tired eyes his last thought was for Bobby.

///

Hunched down in the cubicle Jean waited for Sinister to return. Her space was limited, but at least she could move around slightly. Remy, however couldn't move at all, the shackles keeping him in place.

Wiping away a single tear she continued to stare at her son. Sinister had left after attaching several IV's to Remy's unconscious body and taking a few blood samples. Remy had screamed as Sinister had used a bright flashlight to examine his eyes. Although the sedative had been working, it had failed to block out all the pain.

"Remy?" she whispered and constantly kept an eye on the doorway in case Sinister would show up. "Remy?"

He didn't -couldn't-, reply, but Jean's eyes never left Remy's face. "You've got to hold out, Remy," she said, hoping that he could somehow hear her. "You've got to survive! I want to take you in to my arms, talk to you, explain everything, please Remy."

"He can't hear you," Sinister replied instead as he stepped in to the laboratory. He actually enjoyed seeing hatred in her eyes. "This is the last time ever you'll see him."

"What?" Jean stuttered and awkwardly got to her feet so she was almost level with Sinister.

"Your fellow X-Men have somehow located my lab. I'm moving my experiment to another location. I'll leave you here. Tell your 'friends'," and he spat the word in a venomous tone, "that if they come after me LeBeau won't survive the tests."

Jean was speechless. She had a hard time believing someone was capable of such cruelty. "We X-Men don't abandon our own."

Sinister raised an eyebrow and grinned. "You left him to die in Antarctica. I'm not asking you to do something you haven't done before!"

That statement made her swallow hard and she remained silent, uncertain what to say.

Sinister gestured Scalphunter to wheel the exam table out of the room. "Take a good look, Ms. Summers. This is the last you'll ever see of Remy LeBeau."

Jean's pressed her hands against the glass as Scalphunter and Remy passed her by. She would have sold her soul just to touch him and take him away from his nemeses. To take him home and hold him until the sedative had lost his effect. Then he would open those eyes and she could tell him everything they had learned.

But it wasn't going to happen. Scalphunter pushed the exam table out of her sight and the door closed behind them. "Bastard!" she hissed at Sinister, who merely laughed at hearing the insult.

"I bid you farewell, Ms. Summers… hopefully we won't run in to each other again because LeBeau wouldn't survive such a meeting!" Sinister mocked, then left the laboratory.

Helpless and almost exploding with anger the only thing Jean could do was wait for the X-Men to show up.

///

"Warren? Logan?" Scott called them in a soft tone. The two men reacted at once and moved to the front of the plane.

"Yes?" Warren said, exchanging a troubled look with Logan.

"I want the two of you to watch Bobby's back when we go in. No matter what he says, Bobby isn't in prime condition and that infection is still troubling him." Scott tried not to sound too concerned, but the last thing he wanted was for Bobby to get injured more severely.

]

"Don't worry about our Ice cube," Logan said in a similar tone. "Just concentrate on gettin' yar family back."

"Thanks," Scott mumbled and then looked at Magneto who was talking to Bobby. Somehow he envied the bond Magneto and Remy had developed. But it did make sense. The two men had certain things in common. Both were outsiders and Scott suspected very lonely. //Jean, I need you!//

"We're almost there," Storm said, she had been watching their progress.

"Storm, Warren, I want you to fly down there. Report in should you run in to Marauders," Scott instructed.

"Understood." Storm gestured Warren to follow her and a moment later they were flying in front of the plane, diving to the earth.

Scott started landing procedures and hoped Sinister hadn't picked up on them yet. Scott looked up as Magneto appeared by his side.

"Sinister is mine," Magnus said. "You get your wife and Remy out there. Let me deal with Sinister."

Scott nodded his head. This was one plan he agreed with. "Don't forget to watch the Marauders. They will try to cover Sinister's escape."

"I'm counting on the X-Men to be there should that happen," Magneto said in a soft tone, indicating he wanted this to be a team effort.

Both men knew they needed the other in order for this mission to be successful. Scott nodded his head. "We'll do this together."

///

Storm and Warren flew through empty corridors, growing more wary of the situation with every passing moment. "Scott," Storm said using the headset, "Are you certain this is the right location? This place is deserted."

Scott hissed. "The professor was certain we would find them here! Damn it! Sinister must have seen us coming!"

Magneto, who was walking next to Scott, overheard that comment. "In that case Sinister might have moved Remy to another facility." His voice was tense. They were so close to reclaiming their loved ones that he'd never considered failure.

Logan looked questioningly at Bobby who had been way too quiet during their flight. In ice form his eyes were impossible to read so Logan said. "Are ya still copin', kid?"

Bobby's eyes met his. "Logan…" and he grew quiet. He couldn't possibly explain the horror he was experiencing. Without Remy's thoughts in his mind he felt alone and incomplete.

"We'll find Gumbo," Logan said reassuringly. In thought he added, //And Jeanie!//

Scott contacted Warren. "Found anything yet?" The corridors were too quiet and there was no sign of the Marauders. His instincts told him they were too late and that Sinister had seen them coming all right. //Damn! I can't fail them like this!//

"We just entered some kind of lab," Warren informed Scott in a formal tone, trying to keep his rage under control. Seeing the cylinders made him shudder. Had Remy really spent the first years of his life in such a place? He didn't put it passed Sinister to mess with a baby.

"Warren! Look!" Storm exclaimed in a warm tone, seeing Jean asleep in a glass cubicle.

"Scott?" Warren immediately flew over to Jean and tried to find a way to open her prison. "We've found Jean!" Warren sighed relieved as Jean opened her eyes, which were lucid. "She's alive and appears unharmed!"

"Thank God," Scott whispered and sent a prayer to whatever God had been listening. "Remy?"

"No sign of him," Warren replied disappointed.

Magneto's hands turned in to fists. "We're too late!"

Scott hesitantly laid a hand on Magnus' shoulder, uncertain if he was trespassing here. "Maybe Jean knows where they took Remy. We won't give up."

Magneto took a deep breath. "You're right. We need to talk to her."

Jean rose to her feet as Warren tried to find the mechanism that would set her free. How many hours had passed? Had Sinister succeeded in taking her son to another facility? "Warren? Have you found Remy yet?" Jean asked worried.

"No," Warren replied and watched Storm as she moved over to the control panel.

Storm's fingers touched several buttons and eventually she located the one that opened the cubicle.

Jean quickly stepped outside and walked towards her friends. "We've got to find Remy!"

"We will," Scott said as he entered the lab and opened his arms for Jean.

She flung herself in to the embrace and deeply inhaled his scent. Together they would find their son and deal with Sinister. Looking up she realized Magneto was standing behind her husband and she remembered Sinister's admission. "Remy's his son as well."

"Sinister told ya?" Logan said, extended one claw and slipped it gently underneath her inhibitor collar. A moment later it fell on to the floor.

Jean rubbed her throat and neck, relieved to have it gone. "Sinister knew you were coming, Scott."

"Thought so," Scott muttered and wrapped his arms tightly around her frame.

Magneto however had lost interest in the reunited couple and turned to Bobby. The rest seemed to have forgotten about Drake now that Jean was back and Magnus watched fascinated as the younger man shifted to human form.

Bobby swayed briefly as fever returned, making him feel dizzy. Thankfully Magnus noticed the sudden weakness and folded a hesitant arm around Drake. "You should have stayed in the medlab."

Bobby laughed embittered. "You don't think I'll stay there while Sinister has Remy?"

"No, I don't," Magnus admitted. "But you need to rest now." The others had noticed their soft conversation and hesitantly, Jean approached them. Magnus supported Bobby who leaned heavily on him.

"Bobby?" Jean started and decided to talk to Magneto later. As words eluded her she acted on impulse and claimed Bobby's hand, caressing it gently and she almost choked up seeing him also wearing Remy's ring.

Bobby saw the unshed tears in her eyes and squeezed her hand in return. "Why did he turn himself in?" Bobby whispered. "When will he finally start trusting us?"

Jean sighed. "Trust needs to be earned and we let him down in the past. Remy is used to doing things on his own." Casting a glance at Magneto she sensed his concern, his anger for reaching the lab too late. "Sinister told me he used your DNA as well."

Magneto absorbed that confirmation. "I suspected as much." Unexpectedly Bobby's grip loosened and Magnus reacted at once, scooping the unconscious younger man up in his arms. "I suggest we take him back to the mansion." Scanning the lab, he refused to concede that Sinister had won. //I will search for Remy. No matter how long it takes!// he promised.

///

"Scott?" Jean leaned into the embrace, relishing his presence. They'd sought out a secluded spot in the back of the plane to talk.

"I know, darling. I'm so glad to have you back, but…" Scott's voice trailed off. "I failed Remy… again!"

"It isn't your fault," Jean assured him. "Sinister knew you'd found him out and moved Remy long before you showed up. We always forget the damned range of his scanners!"

"Did you see Remy…" Scott looked her in the eyes. //I missed you so much!//

//Yes, I did.// Jean sighed mentally. //Sinister plans on resuming his experiments. He also told me that he would kill Remy if we tried to go after him.//

//He won't kill Remy, not after all the trouble he went through to get him!// Scott pointed out to her.

//I agree, but… you should have seen the panic in Remy's eyes. Sinister had him collared and sedated. Remy is helpless.// Jean looked over at Magneto who was still supporting Bobby so the younger man could sit upright. //I'm afraid for Remy.//

Scott's fingers tangled gently in her hair and he tenderly pulled her head to rest on his shoulder. //I failed Remy… I failed our son.//

Magneto was trying hard to keep his emotions under control. They had failed to rescue Remy and he shuddered at the things Sinister could do to his son. To make things even worse Bobby had developed a high fever and was clinging to him for… comfort? Warmth?

This was such a mess! He should never have returned Remy to the X-Men. Instead he should have kept his son close. Why had he been so determined to see Remy among the X-Men? They had left him there to die!

"Remy?" Bobby whispered softly. "Where are you?"

Magnus cupped Bobby's face in the palm of his hand and studied the face. The fever had taken hold of the younger man and Magnus blamed himself for letting the Marauders attack the couple in Paris. He should have intervened earlier.

"Remy?" Bobby moaned again.

Magnus didn't know what to say and tightened his hold instead. Storm piloted the plane and he hoped they were travelling at maximum speed because Bobby needed medical urgent attention.

"Magneto?"

Magnus gestured Jean to sit down. He knew why she'd come here. "In what condition was Remy the last time you saw him?" he asked in a trembling tone.

"Sedated and collared," she replied truthfully and almost jumped back, at the fury emanating from Magneto. "I know how you feel," she started, trying to somehow establish a basic connection between them. The way Magneto was holding Bobby told her he cared about the young man as well.

"I can't bear the thought of that monster hurting my son," Magneto finally revealed.

"Neither can I, or Scott," Jean pointed out to him. She wavered briefly, but then rested her left hand on his.

They stared into each other's eyes, never speaking, but knowing instinctively what the other was feeling. Bobby stirred in his arms and Magnus averted his eyes to check on his son's lover. He'd never before felt this helpless, not even in the camps. =His= life wasn't in danger, his =son's= was and there was nothing he could do to protect Remy.

///

The lab

Detached, Remy stared empty eyed at the ceiling as Sinister's hands moved over his scalp. Fingers pushed away thick locks of hair to attach electrodes.

"I kept my word. Your precious Jean Grey is back with the X-Men." Sinister told Scalphunter to switch on a monitor.

Remy gasped involuntarily at the sight of Jean stepping outside the cubicle to find shelter in Scott's arms. Briefly, he managed to glance at Bobby in his ice form and immediately Remy closed his eyes. In Bobby's gaze lay everything he'd given up to save Jean's life.

The collar was starting to irritate his skin and the itch was driving him mad. Would it be like this for the rest of his life? Collared, shackled and sedated? Sinister would never let him out of his sight, would never be negligent around him again. Sinister wouldn't give him a chance to escape or to end his life.

At least he had managed to help Jean. That had been his sole purpose. It shouldn't matter what would happen next. He'd left Bobby behind, had said good-bye while his lover had been asleep. Bobby couldn't love him any longer, not after that stunt he'd pulled.

Maybe the X-Men would be better off without him, period. He couldn't linger in the past, remembering the life he had lead, the man he had been.

Seeking out Sinister's eyes he focused on them. He was back in a lab, one of many Sinister had built all over the world and he would probably spend the rest of his life here, //an' die here.//

///

Hours later he woke again. Nightmares had filled his sleep and he wanted to call out for Bobby, before he realized he was biting down on a gag. There was no way he could utter a single sound. Completely helpless he peeked down at his body. His clothes had been removed and he was now wearing some kind of medical gown. The IV's were still in place and the electrodes on his head reminded him of another time he'd been subjected to this procedure.

Ever since Sinister had strapped him to the exam bed he'd started to remember the things he'd been through as a child. //Non, don' want t' remember dat now!// Instead he focused on the IV's. Sinister was feeding him intravenously and another IV pumped fluids in to his body.

Tears, which he couldn't keep back any longer, flowed down his cheeks. He'd almost believed he would spend the rest of his life with Bobby.

//Bobby, I miss y', cher. But I had no choice. Y'll find anot'er lover… Only a fool would pass up y'r love… does dat make me one?//

His body felt cold, immobile and his thoughts were icing up as he willed himself in to stop thinking all together. It was the only way to endure Sinister's 'care'.

///

"How is Bobby?" Warren asked concerned and peeked at his friend. Bobby's shivering body was covered with blankets and his brow glistered with sweat.

"I'm trying to find a way to break the fever," Hank said. "I still wonder what possessed Scott to let Bobby accompany them to Sinister's lab. The boy is fighting a severe infection!"

Warren walked over to Bobby and pulled up a chair. Slowly, he took hold of a clammy hand and caressed the fingers. "We still have no lead on Remy's present location," he told Hank. "48 hours later and we still don't know where to start."

Hank sat down as well and sighed deeply. "Bobby keeps calling out for Remy."

Bobby shifted restlessly in the bed at hearing that name, grabbed Warren's hand tightly and whispered, "Remy?"

"No, Bobby. It's Warren," Hank stated in a loud tone, but knew Bobby couldn't hear him.

"Remy? I'm cold…" Bobby moaned and turned on to his left side.

Warren looked like he couldn't contain his rage any longer and Hank wondered how the 'parents' were coping with this. The last thing he had heard was that Magneto had locked himself up in the Danger Room to work through his anger by fighting an imaginative Sinister. Charles was keeping on eye on him and Hank hoped Magneto wouldn't injure himself in the process.

"How are Jean and Scott dealing with this development?" Hank asked. Jean had been nearly inconsolable when they'd returned without Remy.

Warren shook his head. "They're trying to support each other, I guess. Logan is also taking this personally and… damn! Everyone wants Remy back!"

Hank checked Bobby's temperature. "The fever seems to be dropping. Hopefully he'll be free of it tomorrow."

"And then he'll remember Sinister still has Remy…" Warren muttered and then locked eyes with Hank. "They seemed happy together… complete."

"I know what you mean," Hank admitted ruefully. "Bobby struggled a long time before finally accepting his sexuality and when Remy returned… Bobby didn't have much of a choice."

"I never pictured them together," Warren confessed, "but…" and thought about the relationship he was slowly building with Logan. Did the others know they'd become an item? Warren wasn't certain he was ready to reveal that truth to them and Logan seemed content to take this slow, giving him the time he needed.

"Remy?" Bobby mumbled again and briefly his eyes flashed open. "Remy!" he cried.

"Robert, please calm down," Hank said softly and administered some medication to fight the fever.

"I hate sitting here like this, being helpless… If only Cerebro could find Sinister's new hiding place!" Warren muttered fatigued. He knew only too well how hard it would be to find Remy now that time was passing by quickly. They had to do something =now=!

///

//Magnus, you're exhausting yourself!// Charles sent and watched Magneto fight off another Marauder. Yes, he could terminate the program, but then Magnus would still refuse to talk to him. //Magnus, you can't help Remy when you're exhausted yourself!//

Magnus threw a glare at the control room and knew Charles wouldn't give in until they had talked. So he stopped the program and walked towards the exit. Charles met him there. "Leave me alone, Charles. I'm not in the mood to talk to you."

"Magnus, I'm concerned about Remy as well," Charles said and felt relieved as Magnus halted in his tracks. "You can't do this on your own. Scott and Jean…"

Magnus turned around and stared him in the eyes. "They don't need me."

"But you need them. Jean, Scott and you are… Remy's parents. When he gets back the three of you need to act as one." Charles's chair came to a stop in front of his old friend. "Do you have any idea how to locate Remy? Is there something we can home in on?"

"No," Magnus whispered helplessly. "Nothing."

"How do you feel about Remy being your son? For a long time you only suspected it to be the truth."

Magnus stared at the wall. "Feel? I feel like being back in the camps and watching the Nazis experiment on one of our own. At least back then my powers were useful!" He had often managed to intimidate the guards with a display of his powers and in that way he'd saved lives. "But now… I can't even find him!"

Charles nodded his head. "Magnus, do me a favor and talk to Jean and Scott. They're suffering too."

Reluctantly, Magnus gave in and followed Charles out of the Danger Room.

///

Jean got to her feet as he entered the living room. Charles had stayed behind in the corridor, intent on giving them some privacy. Magnus felt like an intruder and wanted to turn around to leave, but Jean's voice called him back.

"Please stay."

Magnus nodded his head and sat down as far away from them as possible. They found themselves in a very odd situation and he wondered what they were thinking.

"I feel guilty for not going to the medlab to talk to Remy," Scott said unexpectedly. "If I had done that I might have prevented Remy from leaving the mansion like that."

Magneto stirred, hearing that honest tone. "We all made mistakes," he murmured. "I shouldn't have left him alone after we got here."

Jean watched both men before interrupting. "We should look at the future instead. There has to be a way to find Remy."

"If only we knew how…" Magneto whispered softly.

///

24 hours later Bobby opened his eyes and stared right in to Hank's.

"Hello Robert, it's good to have you back. How do you feel?" Hank inquired and smiled tenderly.

"Better," Bobby whispered. Usually he would crack a joke during a time like this, but he didn't feel like it. "Remy?"

Hank had feared this moment. "I'm sorry, Bobby, but we haven't found him yet."

Bobby closed his eyes to keep the tears from flowing down his face. "I miss him so badly."

"I know," Hank said soothingly. "But you do have another visitor," Stepping aside he gestured Magneto to approach the bed.

Awkwardly, Bobby tried to sit upright. After elbowing himself into a sitting position he looked at Magneto and was startled to see the dark rings underneath the man's eyes. "You haven't slept much," Bobby realized and accepted the orange juice Hank handed him. All he wanted right now was a hot bath and then he would find a way to track down Remy.

Hank moved away from the bed, but continued to watch them closely. Although the fever was gone Bobby was still very weak and needed rest.

"I don't want to sleep," Magneto said hesitantly as he sat down.

"Nightmares?" Bobby inquired softly. Somehow he couldn't picture Magneto suffering from nightmares.

Magnus shrugged his shoulders. "Guilt always rears its head at very inconvenient times."

"Guilt?" Bobby whispered.

"I could have done something to prevent this tragedy."

Bobby shook his head. "Remy is stubborn. Once he makes up his mind there is no way of talking him out of it." Bobby leaned into the comfort of the pillows and thought things over. "How are we going to find Remy?" he asked eventually.

"Cerebro has failed to pinpoint Sinister's location this time," Magneto informed him. "It'll take time, tracking Sinister down."

"And time is the one thing we don’t have!" Bobby stated resolved.

"Robert, you're still very weak," Hank said as he walked over to his friend. "Why don't you try to sleep or at least rest?"

"I feel a lot better," Bobby objected. "I want to take a shower."

"Later," Hank insisted and refilled the glass. "You need lots of fluids."

Obediently, Bobby drank the orange juice. He felt strangely numb without Remy's thoughts twirling in his mind and he was trying hard not to break down in front of the two men. "I'm too scared to think about Remy," he finally admitted. "God knows what Sinister is doing to him right now." Tears suddenly dripped from his chin and he quickly wiped them away.

Magneto placed a soothing hand on Bobby's brow. "I know, trust me, I know," he growled. "But Dr. McCoy here has a valid point. You need to rest, sleep. Trust me, I'll keep on searching for Remy."

Bobby didn't want to fall asleep, afraid he'd be out of it when the call came that they had found Remy. "Promise that you'll wake me should…"

Magneto nodded his head. "I'll wake you the moment we receive news about Remy, I promise."

Somewhat reassured Bobby closed his eyes and tried hard not to think of the terror Remy might be going through. //Please God,// he prayed, //Let us find him,// and then fell asleep.

///

The lab

Remy desperately tried to keep his eyes open and to focus on the ceiling. Sinister had administered another dose of the sedative and he felt like he was afloat in the room. The ceiling seemed to be gaining on him, coming closer to crush him. He tried to scream for help but the gag prevented him from making any noise at all.

He had lost all sense of time. The last time he'd woken up he'd been nauseous and Sinister had removed the gag to allow him to empty his stomach. Only later had Remy realized Sinister had operated on him.

He'd managed to capture a glance at a shiny object and had noticed that a small part at the back of his head had been shaved. The sight of that ugly red scar, stitches still visible, had started another round of dry heaves. Finally Sinister had realized what had upset his 'patient' and had draped locks of hair over the scar. Suddenly Remy had started to wonder whether he'd just imagined the entire thing.

But no, his head hurt and his body felt paralysed. The drug Sinister had administered rendered him helpless, even the Marauders, which at times were inside the lab, looked down at him with loathing in their eyes.

He had lost the feeling in his fingers and Remy wished he could turn on to his left side. His back ached and he wanted so badly to curl up in a foetal position. It was cold in the lab and Sinister didn't believe in blankets. Goose flesh dimpled all over his body and Remy closed his eyes as fatigue overwhelmed him.

Maybe this time his dreams would be about Bobby. The nightmares were draining him and even after opening his eyes Sinister still stared right back at him. Last night he had dreamt of Bobby holding him, sharing his fantasies with him. Waking up later had been horrific.

Remy didn't have any power left to fight Sinister. Hell, there was no way he could fight Sinister even if he wanted to! And the X-Men… would they come for him? He still didn't understand why they had stood beside him on Christmas Eve when Rogue had made her appearance.

"The X-Men have forgotten about you," Sinister said as he hooked another full bag up to the IV. "Now that Jean is back there's no need for them to come after me. Forgot about them rescuing you."

Remy couldn't reply and even if he'd had the possibility he wouldn't have known what to say. Sinister was right after all. Maybe Bobby would try to find him, but his lover would give up eventually and move on with his life.

"You want to know why they're not going to rescue you?" Sinister whispered in a soft insidious voice.

Remy's eyes widened at that tone. Shivers racked his body and he desperately wished he could cover his ears so he didn't have to listen to his nemeses.

"They hate you," Sinister continued.

Remy's eyes focused on Sinister against his will. Why would they hate him?

"You're my most promising experiment, LeBeau. I knew that using the Summers' DNA and combining it with Magneto's would create a strong mutant. It's a pity though…" Sinister stopped talking seeing the terror in his prisoner's eyes. "They didn't tell you? Yes, they know… even your lover knows."

Remy couldn't keep back his tears and sobbed quietly. Was it true?

"Yes," Sinister confirmed, seeing the question in those red on black eyes. "I used stolen DNA to create you."

//Non, dat can' be true! Non, mon Dieu!// Stolen DNA meant he had no right to exist. He was the living proof that Sinister had experimented with stolen DNA from people he had started to look upon as his friends! Jean, he could never face her again. Scott would probably hate him and Magnus… //Mon Dieu, why did y' let me live? Why didn' y' let me die on de streets?//

"That's why they won't come after you. They don't want you around," Sinister said satisfied, checking the readings all the time. "They're glad you're gone."

Remy closed his eyes. He might as well be dead now that he knew the truth. Even if Sinister would let him go he had no place to seek refuge. New Orleans was forbidden turf and he could never again return to the mansion.

"But I want you to stay with me, LeBeau. Sinister cares about you, will look after you…"

Remy wasn't listening any longer. Sinister was hurting him on purpose and his will to survive shattered underneath the merciless revelations. Too drained to remain conscious, Remy fell asleep and the last thing he heard was Sinister's mocking laughter.

///

"You're an abomination!"

Jean's voice echoed through the tunnels. Remy was running as hard as he could, trying not to stare at the bodies of dead Morlocks all around him. Running harder he forgot to look ahead and bumped in to another body.

"You've got something that belongs to me!" Scott snarled, an infuriated expression colored his face.

"Mon Dieu, please help!" Remy yelped as he started running again, turned around the corner and found Magneto waiting for him.

"You lied to me!" Magneto sneered and pointed a finger at him. "You're a thief! You stole my DNA!"

Panicking Remy froze. There was no way he could outrun them and as Jean and Scott joined Magneto he fell to his knees, covering his face with his hands. "Please, forgive," he whispered terrified.

"Remy?"

Another voice cut through the tunnels and as he looked up he was back in the lab. Bobby stood next to the exam table and he expected to see loathing in those eyes, but instead he only saw love and genuine affection. "Bobby? Cher?" Had he lost it? Had he gone mad at last? Or was he… dreaming?

"Remy?" Bobby looked down at the screaming man, strapped on to the exam table. "It's all right! I'm here, love!" he said soothingly, but was unable to undo the shackles.

"Y' can' be here," Remy whispered in disbelief. What the hell was going on?

"You're having a dream, Remy and this time you somehow managed to reach me!" Bobby explained while gently stroking his hair. "Tell me where you are and I will come and get you out!"

"I don' know," Remy stuttered shocked. "Dis can' be!"

"Remy, try to remember. Where did Sinister take you?" Bobby cursed softly at Remy's reaction to that name. "Remy, listen to me!" Instinctively he placed his lips on his lover's and captured them in one ravishing kiss. Remy began to relax and Bobby finally broke the contact. "You can do this, Remy. Tell me where you are."

Remy was lost for words, stunned by the intensity of the dream or whatever it was. //Must be Sinister playin' mind games on me.// But what if Sinister had nothing to do with it? Then he remembered his nemeses' latest revelation and Remy knew he couldn't take the risk that Bobby would somehow find him. "Cher, please leave me."

"No way," Bobby said fervently. "Now focus!" Looking about he tried to take in most of the lab. His eyes quickly scanned the empty tanks, no clues there. Then his eyes found a map displayed on a screen. That might be it!

"Remy, I'll be back in a second," he said reassuringly. Not getting any reply he moved over to the screen and studied the map. "Sinister's labs! Remy… according to this map we're in Canada, 30 miles from…"

The last thing Bobby heard was a scream as Remy kicked him out of his dream. "Why? Remy, why?" he screamed as he was hurled through the tunnels. "I want to stay with you!" Remy's voice sounded distorted, but Bobby immediately clung to it.

"Don' try t' find me, cher… don't."

///

The Mansion

"Bobby, wake up! Robert, listen to me!" Hank demanded urgently. He'd only briefly left the medlab and upon his return he'd found Bobby tangled in the blankets, suffering from a severe nightmare.

"Remy, I'll find you!" Bobby screamed in agony.

"Robert, listen to me. Bobby, wake up!" Hank repeated and looked up as Jean entered the medlab. Her expression speaking of worry and fatigue.

"Can I help?" she offered.

Hank nodded his head once. "Bobby won't snap out of his nightmare."

Jean was about to reach out and sooth Bobby's troubled mind when the screaming stopped.

Bobby opened his eyes and calmly stared in to Jean's. "I've seen him, Jean in my dreams."

"Bobby," Hank said concerned. It wasn't the fever talking and he hated to see his friend in such distress. "You had a nightmare."

"But I felt his mind, his thoughts! I know where we can find Remy!" Bobby stated determinedly. Before Hank could protest he had pushed back the blankets and managed to get to his feet. "I don't care whether you believe me or not, I'm going to Canada!"

"Canada?" Logan repeated leaning against the wall. The scent of fear had pulled him here and he now studied Drake closely. "Ya know where to find Gumbo?"

"Yes, I do!" Bobby said and grabbed the sweats from the chair. "Are you coming along, Logan?"

Logan walked towards them and stopped Bobby by placing his hand flat on the younger man's chest. "Ya're goin' nowhere. First, we're goin' to talk to the others."

Protesting loudly, Bobby tried to get away from Logan. "Remy's in pain! We can't sit down and discuss this."

"I say we leave now," Magneto declared. He'd overheard the last few sentences.

//I monitored Robert's dream,// Charles' thoughts flowed in to their minds. //Somehow he touched Remy's mind. We should act on this and act now! Scott is already preparing the Black Bird for departure. I suggest you don't waste any time getting there!//

Relieved, Bobby nodded his head. "C'mon, Remy needs us!"

///

The lab

Exhausted, Remy kept his eyes tightly shut. Sinister was still hovering over him, muttering softly about his psi potential. The energy readings his scanners picked up seemed to impress Sinister. Remy however, felt tired and too weak to even take advantage of the small movement he had on the exam table. Sinister still continued to inject him with a mind numbing sedative and that was probably the only reason why Sinister had briefly taken his collar off.

Eyes still closed, he desperately tried to block the memory of that last dream in which Bobby had promised to rescue him. Even now Remy wasn't sure if he'd dreamed it all, or if it had been a hallucination caused by the sedative. If he had dreamed it, did that mean Bobby had somehow received that dream and now knew his location?

//Mon Dieu, don' let him come after m'! I don' wanna be found! Not now dat I know de trut'! Dey will never f'rgive m'! Never…// he thought despairingly. //Non, Bobby won' try t' find m'. Dey will stop him. Dey have to! I can' face dem.//

Truth was that he didn't want to be found; at least he was trying very hard to convince himself of that fact. But it wasn't working. His mind was telling him that he didn't deserve any better than this, being Sinister's creation and responsible for the deaths of the Morlocks. His heart however was a different matter.

His heart insisted that he couldn't be blamed for Sinister's actions in the past. He was just another victim of the mad physician and entitled to Bobby's love and his friends' forgiveness. But Remy was too afraid to hope, too scared to believe the X-Men and Magneto would see it the same way.

The irony of this situation suddenly hit him! He'd already been a thief before he'd been born! Remy shied away from that thought, not wanting to know just how Sinister had brought him in to this world.

He felt cold and the chill was in his mind, not inside his body. Sinister had already raised the room temperature seeing him tremble, but that couldn't take away the icy certainty that he shouldn't be alive. A madman's experiment had no right to live!

His mind had been brutally broken during the days he had spent in Sinister's lab. After Sinister had moved him to this place, Remy had given up hope. The X-Men wouldn't try to find him. Sinister was right. Jean was no longer in danger and he didn't matter… His mind hoped they had already forgotten him. His heart was crying out for Bobby's love.

Sinister was talking to him, but Remy ignored it. All Sinister usually demanded was that he didn't move, didn't struggle and he continued to lie motionless on the exam bed.

Briefly, he allowed his mind to drift off, shutting Sinister's voice out and he managed to recapture the timbre of Bobby's voice. No matter what horrors Sinister would subject him to; Remy desperately hoped he would never forget Bobby's admission that he had fallen in love with a Cajun thief. That confession had changed his life.

Losing himself in memories Remy refused to open his eyes or reply when Sinister suddenly addressed him in an urgent tone. Nothing mattered except for Bobby's words, nothing…

Remy had found a place within his mind Sinister couldn't defile with his presence and slowly he wrapped that darkness around his soul, shutting out Sinister, shutting out everything around him. He'd found his secret hiding place and would never again leave it.

///

The Black Bird

Scott eventually nodded his head, reluctantly going along with Magneto's suggestions. "Don't forget that our prime objective is to get Remy out of there. We can always deal with Sinister later!"

Magneto raised an eyebrow. "I will not have Sinister come after my son ever again!"

"Magneto," Jean sighed. "We're in this together, remember? We're a team."

Magnus knew she was right. They only stood a chance against Sinister and his Marauders if they got their act together. "All I'm asking is to let me deal with Sinister."

Scott gave up. "Fine, you concentrate on Sinister then!" And shook his head as he looked at Jean. He should have known better than to try and order Magneto around! "Warren, I want you to cover Bobby's back. Once Bobby reaches Remy he will have to shift back to human form and he isn't in a great shape." That comment earned him a dirty look, coming from Bobby.

Warren nodded his head. "I'll cover their retreat."

Logan had been pacing until now, but as he looked at Scott his eyes were deadly focused. "And I'll take care of Sabretooth!"

Scott considered replying, but then dismissed the thought. Logan's mind was set and it was good to know that Sabretooth would be dealt with. "Storm, Hank, Jean, that leaves the three of you to make sure the Marauders don't prevent Bobby and Remy from leaving." Scott drew in a deep breath. Everyone knew what to do. Now they could only pray Sinister wasn't expecting them!

///

The lab

//What's dat sound?// Vaguely, Remy registered an explosion in the background. It sounded fairly far away though and he wondered if an experiment had gone wrong, maybe even blowing Sinister up in the process. //Wishful t'inkin',// he chided himself.

The collar had once more been placed around his neck and shackled like this he was incapable of movement. There was no way he could cock his head to see what was happening. It didn't matter anyway.

Maybe he was lucky and Sinister would leave him alone a little longer. Descending into the depths of his mind he settled down into the soothing darkness. The explosion wasn't important. The screams didn't matter. Here, in the twilight of his soul he no longer felt anything.

But the intensity of the explosions increased and no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't ignore them. They also seemed to be getting closer. //I hope de lab is goin' t' explode!// He wouldn't regret dying in that explosion. It was better than being strapped to an exam table for the rest of his life!

And why did his head refuse to stop hurting? Was it because of the sedative or the surgery? He vividly remembered seeing that scar at the back of his head. Too scared to think about it he tried to remember the little cupids, which had graced the ceiling of their hotel room in Paris. He desperately needed a distraction now the screams were advancing on him. Pinching his eyes tightly shut Remy buried himself in the pit of his mind.

///

Scott nodded towards Bobby, telling him to get moving. The Marauders were putting up a fierce fight. Thankfully his team mates were in a bad mood and out for Sinister's blood.

Warren flew ahead of Bobby and Logan had managed to engage his old archenemy in a fight, taking Sabretooth away from the core of the battle. Storm used her elemental powers to keep Harpoon, Blockbuster and Riptide on the defensive and Hank was trying hard to disarm Scalphunter. So far, so good, Scott mused.

Bobby had taken the hint and was now sliding into the main lab. An anguished cry involuntarily escaped his lips when his eyes located his lover. "Remy!" he screamed. Seeing him shackled and defenceless stirred something deep inside him. Feeling immensely protective of the Cajun he vowed Sinister would never again hurt his lover.

"He's mine!" Sinister snarled, revealing himself as he stepped away from his hiding place. Seeing the X-Men inside his lab infuriated him. Remy LeBeau was his, only his!

Warren mentally prepared himself for an attack, but then Magneto appeared from nowhere. Where had the man been hiding?

"Get Remy out of here!" Magneto ordered and eyed Sinister warily.

Bobby didn't hesitate. Shifting to human form he ran towards his lover. Scott had been right. Seeing him in ice form would only upset Remy. "It's going to be okay," he said soothingly and exchanged a look with Warren who was fighting off Arclight. "Remy? Can you hear me?" The blank expression in those half closed eyes frightened him and he knew that instant that Remy didn't recognize him.

Bobby used his mutant powers to freeze the shackles and snatched them away from Remy's wrists and ankles. They revealed red, raw flesh. At some point Remy had fought Sinister. "I'm here, love." Bobby sat on his heels and gently cradled the back of Remy's head in his hands. "I'm going to take you home."

Remy didn't react and Bobby sighed heavily. Secretly he had hoped that the sound of his voice would snap the Cajun out of his stupor. "I'm going to carry you, Remy. You don't look like you can walk." First, he grabbed a blanket and wrapped Remy up in it. Then he snuck his hands underneath Remy's knees and back. "You might want to hold on."

Remy shivered as flesh touched flesh and suddenly he realized that this wasn't a dream! He wasn't hallucinating due to the sedative! Bobby was here, picking him up from the exam bed and clutching him to his chest. Part of his brain couldn't deal with the evidence of his lover's dedication. Bobby was still at his side, looking out for him… Why? Bobby knew about the stolen DNA! There was no reason why…

Bobby read the confusion on Remy's face. The alien eyes were only half open and the pain that stared back at him almost made him choke up. "You've got to hold on, love!" Bobby urged him on and followed Warren who had succeeded in clearing his path.

Running as hard as he could Bobby looked over his shoulder, seeing Magneto about to square off against Sinister who was looking infuriated. Never before had he wished someone dead, but this time Bobby caught himself hoping Sinister wouldn't survive this confrontation.

Pressing his precious load close to his chest Bobby reminded himself of the fact that only Remy's well being mattered. He had to get his lover to the Black Bird, tuck him in and wait for Hank to take over. "Everything will be fine, Remy. I love you, you stupid Cajun!" and he planned on convincing Remy to never sneak off like that again.

"You almost gave me a heart attack, love," Bobby whispered in a more tender tone. "You could have died! What were you thinking handing yourself over like that?" Looking down at Remy he noticed the swimming eyes and felt guilty for addressing his lover in such a tone. "I'm sorry, love… I just don't want to lose you!"

Remy stared at him, hearing the words, but not understanding them. The sedative was making it impossible for him to think rationally. He did know he was no longer shackled to the exam table and that Bobby was close. Even though he didn't understand the words, he realized the tone behind them. Had Bobby really come for him? Impossible!

Once more closing his watering eyes he simply relaxed against the warm body and never realized they were running towards freedom.

///

Magneto knew there had to be a way to terminate Sinister's existence. The question was, how to accomplish it? Looking at Sinister's metallic like skin he wondered if he could control its molecular structure.

Scott's optic blast impacted hard and threw Sinister off his feet. //That might be it!// Magnus realized, //Maybe I can do this, but I'll need my complete concentration!//

Jean had picked up on those thoughts and together with Scott they fought their way up front to aid Magneto if necessary. //What's your plan?// she wanted to know, including Scott in the telepathic exchange.

Irritated by the interruption Magnus briefly locked eyes with her. //I want to take Sinister out once and for all. Maybe I know how.//

//How?// Scott asked as he kept blasting away at Sinister, not giving him a chance to open a terresect.

//You just keep blasting at him like that. I'm going to try and manipulate the molecules in his body.// Magnus drew in a deep breath. He'd never done this on such a scale before.

Jean nodded her head and created a protective shield, surrounding the three of them. //I don't know how long I can keep this up,// she warned both men as her shield stopped one of Harpoon's imbued objects.

Magneto concentrated on the task at hand. Jean and Scott seemed rather calm, but his own emotions raged as he stared in to the eyes of the man who had damaged Remy so badly. It was payback time. This monster wasn't going to harm anyone ever again!

Scott blasted away full force at Sinister who had dropped to his knees. From the corner of his eye he noticed that several Marauders had gone down, but that Scalphunter was trying to reach his boss. Luckily Beast was managing to keep the Marauder at bay. //Jean?// he sent telepathically, picking up all the little signs which told him how upset she really was.

//I'll be fine, Scott, knowing Sinister can't hurt Remy any longer. I can't believe how much I hate him!// Jean looked about and the lab made her shiver. //To spend the first five years of your life here, it’s unbearable to think about!//

Scott agreed and managed to get closer to her. When was Magneto going to make his move?

Magnus finally felt confident that he had a firm hold on Sinister's structure. It was awfully complex. The molecules almost instantly tried to move back into their original position. He'd wanted to do this slowly, but had to abandon that idea. Sinister would get too much time to recover. They would have to terminate Sinister's life with a bang. //Aim at his head,// he told Scott, using the telepathic link Jean provided. Thankfully Scott obeyed promptly. //Good.//

Magnus raised his hands and reached out for the metal in Sinister's 'body'. //Armor is more like it! There's nothing human about him,// Magnus realized. Waiting for the next optic blast to hit Sinister he gathered his powers and manipulated Sinister's molecules, scrambling the madman's powers.

As Scott's blast hit Sinister, Magneto timed his attack along with it. Sinister's body seemed to implode as Magnus prevented the molecules from returning to their original alignment. This was it! He couldn't screw up now. One last twist, one more optic blast and Sinister's body was viciously torn apart. Magnus left Sinister no way to reassemble his body.

Stunned, Jean ducked away as a shock wave almost hit her. She sensed disbelief, even horror emanating from Sinister. A moment later, nothing of the mad physician remained. The place were Sinister had stood was empty now. //Did we really do that?//

Fatigued, Magnus nodded his head and leaned heavily against the wall. This manipulation had taken a lot out of him. "Sinister's gone."

The Marauders heard that statement and seemed to panic now that their boss had been destroyed. Only Sabretooth managed to escape into the tunnels underneath the lab. One by one the X-Men aimed their attacks at Sinister's clones, taking them out for good.

///

Bobby wrapped his arms tightly around Remy's frame and wished Hank would hurry back to the Blackbird, Remy needed medical attention. A few minutes ago Bobby discovered a scar at the back of his lover's head and he'd almost panicked, realizing Sinister had performed some sort of surgery on Remy. Hopefully, the sedative would soon lose its effect, Bobby desperately wanted to see recognition in those red on black eyes. "Remy? Can you hear me?" he asked, trying to establish contact.

Remy didn't react. Although he was awake he didn't want to ruin this perfect moment. Bobby's body was warm and seductively wrapped around his. Only a few hours ago he would have dismissed any idea of ever resting in his lover's arms again. He felt comfortable, warm and protected. Doubtlessly, Sinister would show up to reclaim him, but in the meantime he wanted to cherish the feel of the body close to him.

His hands rested useless in his lap and Bobby was rubbing them, trying to rid them of the tremors rocking his fingers. Shifting closer Remy rested his head against Bobby's shoulders and tried hard to remain motionless. This illusion was too fragile and could shatter any moment now. He couldn't allow that to happen.

"Remy? Please open the link?"

The question shocked him. //Non, won' do dat!// he thought as with as much resolve as he could muster. His thoughts swirled aimlessly and he failed to create order in the chaos. It was impossible that Bobby still wanted him! //I ain't reactin'!// he told himself. If he shut out Bobby's request, he could fool himself into believing that he wasn't hurting. //I don' want t' hurt!// Opening the link meant sharing his pain with Bobby and he didn't want his lover to know how he was feeling.

"Remy." Bobby sighed his lover's name, realizing he was being shut out. "I do love you, Remy," he tried again.

//Non, y' can'!// Remy almost shook his head, but managed to keep himself in check. Such movement might indicate he was awake and he didn't want Bobby to let go of him. Bobby was only saying these things to comfort him and not because he was sincere!

It dawned on Bobby that Remy was determined not to react and he pulled him closer. "It's okay, Remy. You can have all the time you need," he said soothingly. Seeing the collar around his lover's neck appalled him. Yes, he could freeze it and remove it that way, but such cold might upset Remy.

"I missed you, Remy," he said softly. He had to stop Remy from slipping further away from him and the sound of his voice would be hard to lock out. "When I woke up in the medlab and realized you were gone… I actually cried."

Remy trembled hearing that admission. Bobby had shed tears because of him? //I only cause trouble,// he chided himself. He didn't want Bobby to hurt because of something he had done. Bobby didn't deserve that!

"When we found Jean she was almost in tears because we'd been too late to get you out as well." Bobby closely monitored the man in his arms and knew with certainty that Remy was listening. "She cares a lot about you."

//Non! Impossible!// Why would she care for him? She couldn't care for him now that she knew who he was, what devious ways Sinister had resorted to in order to create him.

Bobby hesitated to continue. Did Remy know about his parents? Had Sinister told him that truth? //If Sinister told him we can count on it that he twisted everything!// The professor had been right to advise them to wait until their return to the mansion before telling Remy. //But what if he knows already?//

The arrival of his teammates interrupted his musings and Bobby immediately sought out Hank's eyes. "Remy's sedated, I think."

Hank quickly covered the distance and sat on his heels in front of the couple. Bobby had pulled Remy onto his lap and the Cajun seemed to feel safe in his lover's arms. Hank refrained from touching his patient, but listened closely to Remy's breathing. "Remy, may I touch you?" he asked softly.

"He won't react," Bobby informed Hank, "but as long as you're gentle I don't think he'll put up a fight."

Trying to reach a decision Hank locked eyes with Jean, who nodded her head.

"Sinister sedated him. Remy hardly registers what's happening." Jean took a deep breath and slowly stroked back the dark locks which had fallen in front of Remy's face. She needed to see his face. "Remy?"

//Non, please don'.// Remy tried to crawl even closer to Bobby.

//Remy, everything will be fine,// Jean reassured him and focused her powers on the inhibiter collar. It was the last thing that reminded them of Sinister and it was time to do away with it. The collar snapped open and Jean gently removed it. As her fingertips touched his skin, she sensed his pain and anguish caused her to accidentally bite her lip. Looking at Bobby she knew Remy needed his lover. //I love you, Remy. Don't you ever dare forget that!// she stated gently, but firmly and placed one tender kiss on his feverish brow.

//Non, y' can'!// Remy objected, determinedly.

//Remy,// Jean sighed. //Yes, we know Sinister used our genes… and we are proud to have you as a son.// Jean also sent that last comment to her husband and Magnus who had now joined them.

Too scared to look up Remy concentrated on keeping his eyes tightly shut. His hands trembled, but Bobby squeezed them reassuringly. This couldn't be happening!

"Jean is right, you know," Scott said aloud as he took Jean's place, as she moved to the back. Using his chance to talk to Remy, Scott added, "Please don't blame yourself for something Sinister did. I like you a lot, Remy and I'm sorry I failed you in the past. Will you give me another chance? I want to make things up to you."

//What is Cyke talkin' 'bout?// Remy wondered. Failing him? Another chance? Confused, he buried his face in Bobby's clothes.

"Give him some time to adjust to everything," Jean advised her husband and pulled him along with her. "Remy is safe and once we're back at the mansion we can talk to him. Right now he needs Bobby."

Magnus watched them disappear to the front of the plane and appreciated the fact that the other X-Men left him alone. Although they were watching everything closely, they stayed clear of Remy. Nodding his head Magnus walked up to his son and wondered what to say. He realized he wouldn't get a reply. Remy was still too drugged to think rationally, but he wanted Remy to know that they loved him. "Remy?"

Hearing Magneto's voice sent a shiver through Remy's body. He felt like he'd betrayed Magneto the most. The man had saved his life in Antarctica. //He probably regrets ever takin' me in!// And to his own astonishment that thought hurt tremendously. Until now he hadn't realized just how good a friend Magneto had become and he was afraid to lose that friendship.

"Remy, I will try to be a good friend… and father if you want me to. I'm still getting used to the fact that you're my son, but…" He'd never spoken these words in this context before and he briefly hesitated, wanted them to sound sincere. "I love you, my son."

Remy couldn't take this any longer and looked up, locking eyes with Magnus. The sedative still distorted his sight, but Magnus' eyes radiated the truth. Struggling to speak Remy moistened his cracked lips. "Je suis désolé," he muttered brokenly.

Magnus and Bobby exchanged a glance, both men pleased they'd lured Remy into talking. "No need to feel sorry, Remy." Magnus placed a gentle hand on Remy's shoulder. "We'll talk later, son, once you feel better."

//Son?// Remy's eyes grew big. Now that the collar no longer blocked his powers he tentatively reached out to touch Magnus' feelings, cautiously staying away from the man's thoughts. //Mon Dieu, he's speakin' de trut'!// That realization drove him over the edge. He couldn't deal with this right now. Leaning back into Bobby's embrace he briefly glanced at his lover's eyes. Watering blue eyes stared back at him and unintentionally the link snapped back to existence.

//Yes, Remy, I love you.//

Bobby's thoughts hit him unprepared. Remy hadn't realized he'd opened the link and he shut it down again at once. Exhausted he sighed, closed his eyes and relishing the warmth of Bobby's body. As he dozed off, he was faintly aware of Magnus' hand still resting on his shoulder. //I wonder what dis means?// Remy thought confused, as Sinister's drug pushed him into a deep and dreamless sleep.

///

Later, back at the mansion.

Reluctantly, Bobby handed Remy over to Hank, who cautiously placed the Cajun on an exam bed. Hank had suggested examining Remy while he was still drugged. Hopefully, Bobby could then take him to his room so the Cajun would wake up in familiar surroundings instead of a medlab.

"You need to have a look at this scar," Bobby pointed out to his friend and swept away some of Remy's locks.

Hank raised an eyebrow seeing the recent scar tissue. "I'll run some scans on him and get some x-rays just to make sure he's fine."

Bobby nodded his head. "Can I stay?"

"Yes," Hank confirmed. "In case he unexpectedly wakes up your presence might sooth him."

Hank decided to perform a complete physical on Remy and tried to be extremely gentle when moving his patient to another bed. "He's lost weight," Hank remarked.

"And I hate those dark circles underneath his eyes." Bobby caressed Remy's fingers as Hank started another battery of tests. "What can I do to help him?"

Hank's knitted brow revealed his worries as the results of the scans appeared. "Be there for him, I guess. He needs to talk this out, Bobby and I'm not sure you're the right person to…"

Bobby looked up. "What are you trying to say?"

"Remy feels ashamed. We already saw that on the plane and he won't want you to know what lives inside the depths of his mind, thinking it will push you away." Hank regretted speaking this bluntly, but Bobby had to understand. "Rage is hiding underneath the pain and fear and he will keep it all inside."

Bobby did understand Hank's reasoning, but felt confident he could make Remy open up. //Anyway, that's in the future!// "What about that scar?"

Hank's eyes came to rest on Remy. "Sinister didn't leave any implants behind, if that's what you're worried about. Looks more like he removed something."

"And you don't know what?"

"Remy never allowed me to give him a complete physical," Hank reminded him. "But that scar is the least of your worries." Hank proceeded to disinfect the punctures the IV's had left behind. "Try to get him to eat," he advised.

"So, I can take him to my room?" Bobby got to his feet, eager to spend time alone with his lover.

"One moment," Hank objected. "We should get him out of that medical gown. He left some sweats behind the last time he was in the medlab."

Together they removed the offending garment and Bobby managed to get Remy into the sweats. Suddenly, Jean's thoughts drifted into his mind, probing as if not to disturb him. //It's okay, Jean. Remy will be fine. I'm taking him upstairs now. Can you fix him something to eat?//

//Of course!// came Jean's reply, eager to help. //I'll tell the others the good news.//

Bobby picked Remy up, pulled him to his chest and left the medlab. He was going to put Remy to bed, wrap him up in blankets and then he would prepare the hot chocolate Remy was so fond of.

///

"Magnus?" Charles didn't look up from behind the desk as his old friend sat down in a chair.

Magnus clasped his hands and wondered why he had come here. Maybe it was because he couldn't be with Remy. It was important the young man didn't feel pressured and the way Remy had clung to Bobby had told him he needed his lover at the moment.

"Magnus? What's wrong?" This time Charles did look up. His friend's powers made it nearly impossible to probe his mind unnoticed. "Remy?"

"We destroyed Sinister," Magnus started and looked Charles in the eyes.

"The damage?" Charles didn't have to specify his question, Magnus understood.

"Severe. Remy… seems lost and blames himself for Sinister's actions. It will be hard to break the hold the past has on him." Magnus leaned forward, studying Charles. "I want to help him deal with it."

"You're asking my permission to stay?" Charles said slightly surprised. He should have expected this request, no, demand. "If you're uncomfortable here you can stay in the boathouse."

A knock on the door stopped their conversation. Charles reached out and nodded his head. "Enter."

Jean and Scott slowly walked inside. They weren't surprised to see Magnus in Charles' study. "Sir?" Scott started and briefly nodded towards Magnus, acknowledging his presence. "What are we going to do about Remy?"

"Nothing," Charles stated flat, earning baffled looks. "Remy has to determine the pace. He'll let us know when he's ready to let anyone in. We shouldn't rush him." Jean's watered eyes focused on him and Charles wished he had a different answer for them. "He needs to heal."

"But," Scott objected.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't see him or talk to him," Charles explained, "but don't push him to talk about Sinister or his past yet."

Magnus hated to admit it, but Charles was right. //Hopefully, Remy will find the courage to face his past.//

Charles realized that thought had been directed at him and replied, //If he doesn't then we'll act.//

///

Slowly, Remy opened his eyes. The first thing he noticed upon waking was that the sterile scent had vanished. That reassured him and as his fingertips moved over the sheet he realized it wasn't a dream. The X-Men had managed to get him away from Sinister.

Vaguely, he remembered Jean telling him that she loved him. Scott had been at her side, asking for another chance. The memories didn't make any sense! And there then was Magnus, who had called him 'son'.

Staring at the ceiling he suddenly realized where he was. Bobby's room! Cocking his head he wondered what the hell was staring back at him, a Thing action figure? And why was he hugging a fluffy teddy bear? A chuckle forced itself a way through his throat and eventually he smiled.

As he looked out the window, he realized night had fallen. Cocooned in bed he felt comfortable, but in the back of his mind he feared that Sinister would appear any moment now. Sinister would never let him go!

Suddenly, panic coursed through him. The blankets had tangled around his frame, keeping him a prisoner, much like the shackles had in Sinister's labs. "Non," Remy panted, "Non!" The panic set off his newly discovered telekinetic powers and a mere thought flung the blankets onto the floor. Shocked at what he was capable of Remy stared at his wrists, which had been bandaged to ensure the wounds would heal quickly.

"Dese powers ain't mine!" he whimpered. "I can' use dem!" He vowed to keep them locked up inside. Suddenly, he realized the origin of his powers, the charging ability, the empathy and… "Non! I don' want t' think 'bout dat!"

But no matter how hard he tried, telepathy had become a solid part of his life. Against his will, he sensed Bobby's presence behind the door. "Non, block it!" he told himself.

The door opened and Remy averted his eyes, unwilling to look at Bobby. //I once told him dat I don' deserve him, or his love. I was right. I don' deserve him.// Curling up into a fetal position he folded his arms around his legs, pushed the teddy bear away from him and ignored Bobby's presence. It was time that Bobby moved on and found someone worthy of his love!

///

Bobby placed the tray on the nightstand and sat down on one side of the bed, facing Remy. Dark hair obscured his lover's face and Bobby felt lost without the inside information the link usually provided.

"Remy?" he called, as his fingers pushed back locks of auburn hair. "Talk to me, Remy." But his lover didn't react and Bobby wondered about his next step. Studying Remy's face he noticed the deep lines of suffering on his brow and he wished he could take away that pain. Too bad he wasn't an empath as well. Leaning in closer Bobby placed one gentle kiss on Remy's brow, hoping it would evoke some kind of reaction. It did.

Remy trembled at the feel of soft lips caressing his skin. The simple gesture spoke of nothing but love and his resolve melted away under the steady flow of Bobby's affectionate feelings, which he couldn't shut out. Part of him hungered for that affection, craved it, he needed it as badly as oxygen. Bobby's fingertips now tangled in his hair and Remy flinched, as he wondered if Bobby knew of the scar hidden underneath the locks.

"Hank wants to talk to you," Bobby informed him. "I know you don't want to see him, but there are things you need to know about your physical condition." Remy kept perfectly still and Bobby sighed audibly. "Remy? Please look at me."

Remy was seriously tempted to do so, but knew that making eye contact might set off the link and he didn't want Bobby to know what he was going through. Bobby had once cried because of him and that wasn't going to happen a second time! Keeping his eyes closed he tried hard to deny Bobby's presence, but those fingers now strayed down his throat, touching all those sensitive spots that had made him squirm during their first lovemaking.

Bobby's gaze softened as he realized that Remy was fighting himself. "It's okay, love," he whispered in to Remy's ear. "I love you, Remy. You can rely on me to be there if you need me. I won't desert you." Bobby wrapped his arms around Remy's body and pulled him in to a sitting position.

Remy let him, not knowing how to react to this intimate gesture. Bobby also wrapped his legs around his waist, pulling him closer to his chest. With a terrified sob, Remy rested his head on Bobby's shoulder.

Bobby held him close, rocking him and mumbled soft words of reassurance in his ear. "I love you, Remy. You shouldn't believe the things Sinister told you. Jean, Scott and Magneto love you too."

"But…" Remy bit his lip. Bobby had lured him in to talking but silence was his only defence. The moment he spoke he acknowledged the truth.

Bobby smiled at hearing that one word. "You can talk to me, love. Don't shut me out." Bobby moved one hand so he could cup Remy's chin. Raising the beloved face he finally managed to lock gazes with his lover. Remy's eyes were watered and pain poured out of those alien orbs. "Let me in, Remy."

Remy shook his head. "Non," he whispered in a cracked tone. "I can'."

"Why?" Bobby wanted to know and cocked his head to hold Remy's gaze. "Look at me, Remy."

"Y' should have left m' dere t' die!" Remy stated, shocking himself as well.

"So Sinister could poison your mind and continue to hurt you? I don't believe that!" Bobby replied. A soft smile graced his features. "We both know that you want to be here with me and not in Sinister's lab."

Remy bowed his head in defeat. "Y' shouldn' waste y'r time wid m'," he whispered. Remy wished he was strong enough to pull away from Bobby, who was making him face things he was scared of. It was tempting to give in and to believe Sinister was to blame for everything that had happened. "Y should f'rget 'bout m'."

"How can I?" Bobby said and clutched Remy's head with both his hands. "I love you, Remy. I can't live without you."

Those words impacted hard and Remy released the tears he'd been holding back. "Cher," he whispered unwillingly and folded his arms around Bobby's shoulders.

Relieved, Bobby drew in a deep breath. Hearing that familiar word eased his troubled mind. It looked like he had managed to get through to the Cajun at last. While holding Remy, his hands soothingly stroked his lover's back. Slowly, Remy seemed to relax. "Want some hot chocolate?" he asked as he gently pushed Remy back onto the pillows.

Remy stared in to Bobby's eyes and found there the confirmation of his lover's earlier admission. Yes, Bobby still loved him. "Y're mad," he whispered in disbelief.

Bobby let the remark go by unnoticed and retrieved the tray instead. It would take time for Remy to accept everything that had happened. "Here, Jean made these pancakes. She wants you to eat them, understood?"

"Jean made dem?" Remy repeated surprised.

"Yeah, she's worried about you." Bobby handed him the chocolate and watched closely, urging Remy to take a sip.

Remy gave in and slowly sipped the still hot liquid. A question burned his lips, but… "Does she hate m'?" Sinister had told him that the X-Men knew about the stolen DNA.

"Hate you?" Bobby knew that instant Sinister had messed with Remy's head. "She LOVES you, Remy." Placing the tray on Remy's lap and said, "Start eating."

Remy was indecisive. "How can she love m'?"

"Remy, we know what Sinister did and no one holds that against you." Bobby caught Remy's elusive gaze. "Scott is trying to figure out how to handle having another adult son, but I think he secretly loves the challenge. Jean is waiting downstairs to hug you and never again let go and Magnus… I've never seen a man that proud of his son."

Remy devoured this information; so afraid to believe it was the truth. Looking at the pancakes he felt… strangely numb. He did remember Magnus calling him son, but he had attributed it to the drugged state he had been in. To be accepted by them was… something he craved badly, but fearful of disappointment he convinced himself Bobby was mistaken. They couldn't accept his existence like this!

"Remy, try eating one pancake at least? Otherwise you might upset Jean," Bobby urged him on. Remy's movement was mechanical, like his mind was occupied with something else. It probably was. Remy managed to eat one pancake and satisfied, Bobby gently kissed Remy's fingertips after his lover placed the utensils back on the plate.

"De scar?" Remy asked unexpectedly.

Bobby nodded his head. "I was worried about that too," he revealed. A knock on the door however, interrupted their conversation. "That must be Hank. Please talk to him?"

Reluctantly, Remy nodded his head. "But y'll stay?" he asked pleadingly.

"Of course I will!" Bobby stated firmly and went to open the door.

Hank slowly walked inside, giving his patient the time he needed to compose himself. "Remy?" Hank said and took in his appearance. Remy looked depressed and passive, as he'd expected.

"Oui?" Remy whispered and pushed himself back in to the pillows. Hank carried that sterile scent he hated so much. Hopefully, this wouldn't last long.

Hank remained at a distance. Bobby sat down again and Hank noticed how gingerly Remy gave in when Bobby started to stroke his hair. "There are a few things you need to know." Hank moved a little closer and caught Remy's trembling. "You must be worried about the scar at the back of your head."

Remy froze. Did he really want to know what Sinister had implanted into his brain?

"I couldn't find any foreign objects in your brain tissue. I don't know what Sinister wanted to accomplish with that surgery, but there are NO implants or other devices," Hank said, stressing the word. "My guess is that he either removed something or… " This peculiar thought was too horrendous to consider. "Or Sinister operated on you for no special reason but to scare you."

Bobby's eyes narrowed at hearing that assumption. "The bastard," he hissed. Remy's body tensed and Bobby quickly added, "Don't be afraid of Sinister, love. Sinister… is gone. Scott and Magneto took him out."

"What?" Remy stuttered stunned. "Dey did what?"

"Sinister and his Marauders are no longer alive," Hank confirmed. "I had the honor of taking out Riptide personally. We also destroyed the Marauder clones he was growing and blew up his lab."

Remy stared from Hank to Bobby. "Cher?"

"It's the truth. Sinister can no longer hurt you." With infinite compassion, Bobby twined his fingers around Remy's. "It's over."

Remy sobbed silently and rested his head on Bobby's shoulder. "I can' believe dat."

"If you open the link you can read my memories," Bobby offered.

"Non!" Remy was still determined not to let anyone in.

Hank watched his patient with growing concern. "Remy, physically you're exhausted. You need rest, food and a lot of liquids. I suggest you try to get some sleep." Without making any sound Hank left the room and closed the door behind him. In the corridor stood Magnus and Jean, eagerly awaiting news.

"Remy needs time," Hank said eventually and gestured them to walk with him. "I'm certain Remy will let you know when he's ready to talk to you. Right now, dealing with Bobby is already draining him. Remy feels guilty and ashamed and Bobby is trying hard to make him see the truth."

Magnus nodded his head. "We can't give in to his distorted feelings of guilt. Remy needs to know that we accept him as our son."

"He knows, yes," Jean said, addressing their former enemy. "But he doesn't understand WHY we accept and love him."

Magnus knew she was right. "If necessary we'll find a way to convince him."

///

Exhausted, Remy had little strength left to fight the overwhelming fatigue that had been building inside him. Bobby had slid into bed as well and was now holding him firmly. The feel of that familiar body next to him pushed Remy over the edge. Tumbling in to the realm of dreams he feared the return of the nightmares. Although he tried to wake up, he failed.

Bobby watched Remy struggle to remain awake and realized this might be his only chance to find a way to make Remy open the link. The nightmares would make Remy vulnerable and Bobby hoped his lover would instinctively reach out, using the link.

"I feel like the hero in Nightmare on Elm Street," he whispered privately. "We destroyed Sinister, but he's still tormenting you. I'm sorry, love but I've got to use your dreams to get through to you, Remy." Tightening the hold he had on the other man he rested his head on the pillows and followed Remy in to the world of dreams.

///

Looking about Bobby found himself in a comfortable, warm bedroom. But this wasn't the mansion. A sound made him turn about and he immediately recognized the boy trashing in the bed. "Remy?" As he walked over to the bed he realized that this boy looked slightly older, maybe 13.

The boy jerked, threw the blankets on to the floor and screamed hard. His red eyes glowed in the darkness, but the expression in them was so far from demonic that Bobby choked up. "It's only a nightmare," he whispered, remembering the group of boys he had encountered in Remy's prior dreams.

The boy however ignored him and the screaming continued. His voice suddenly broke and soft cries flowed through the room. "Père, s'il vous plaît m'aider! Le diable est revenu. S'il vous plaît m'aider!"

The instant Bobby wanted to sit down to take the boy in to his arms, the door was flung open and a man stormed inside. "Mon fils, no need t' be 'fraid!" the man said soothingly and caught the boy in his arms. "Y're safe."

Bobby watched silently. The stranger was now rocking the boy who continued to cry softly. Le diable, Remy had said. Had the nightmare been about Sinister? When would that monster finally leave his lover alone?

"Jean-Luc! What's wrong wid de petite?" A woman also entered the room, worry etched on to her face. "Did he have 'nother nightmare?"

Bobby's interest grew now that he knew the man's name. //So this is the man who adopted Remy?// Studying Jean-Luc LeBeau, Bobby realized the man's concern was genuine. Jean-Luc's eyes were sharp and intelligent. //A man to be reckoned with!// Bobby knew instinctively.

"Tante!" the boy exclaimed loudly. One hand snuck free and Remy managed to snatch Tante's. "Don' let him take Remy away!" the boy sobbed and looked up pleadingly at the man holding him.

"No man will ever hurt y' 'gain, petite. I made a promise, non?" Jean-Luc said and continued to rock the child. "Why won' y' tell m' who hurt y' like dis?"

"Non!" Remy screamed in panic, "den he'll hurt y' too, m'sieur."

"Y're worried 'bout m', petite?" Jean-Luc whispered wonderingly. "Don'," he added and pulled Remy into his lap. Addressing tante, Jean-Luc said, "I'll stay wid de petite."

Tante reluctantly nodded her head. After caressing the child's wet face she moved to the doorway. "Call m' if de petite has 'nother bad dream."

"Oui," Jean-Luc whispered and then concentrated on rocking his adopted son. "Tell m', Remy, what's scarin' y'?"

The boy seemed to shrink in those comforting arms. "Can' tell y'," he muttered eventually.

"I will still love y'," Jean-Luc said reassuringly.

Disbelief colored the boy's eyes. "I was hungry an' cold."

"Oui?"

Jean-Luc seemed prepared to accept everything Remy would tell him and Bobby felt a growing respect for this man, who had chosen to adopt a street kid, so obviously a mutant with eyes like those.

"De man took m' t' his place an'," Remy's voice faltered.

"An' hurt y'," Jean-Luc finished for him. "Remy, I want y' t' say de words. What did dey do t' y'?"

The boy's trembling worsened and shaking violently Remy whispered, "He told m' t' take off my clot'es an' den…"

Bobby swallowed hard, wondering why Remy had picked this dream, this memory to show him. He knew about his lover's past and this scene wasn't scaring him off. It only served as a reminder of what pain Remy had suffered in his youth.

"His hands were all over my body," Remy whispered barely audible. "I didn' know men did dat t' chil'ren, but I needed de money t' buy food an'… I didn' fight when he pushed 'side."

The voice cracked and Remy's sobs screamed into his ears. Bobby cringed himself hearing this admission.

Jean-Luc's brow knitted in concern. "Y're much too youn' t' deal wid dis. No chil' should be put t'rough dis, petite."

Suddenly, Remy started to struggle free, but found that Jean-Luc was determined to hold on to him. "Don', petite. I'm angry wid dose men, Remy, but not wid y'. Y're mon fils, Remy an' y' won' push m' 'way dis easily."

Remy's eyes grew big and Bobby realized the boy had counted on Jean-Luc being revolted by his admission. The comment Hank had made slipped in to his mind. //Yes, he feels ashamed and guilty because Sinister used stolen DNA, but it goes much deeper.// Looking at Jean-Luc he hoped he'd found a way to really reach Remy. //I'll have to prove to him that I love him in spite of his past. I can do that!//

Jean-Luc placed the boy back on the bed, covered him with blankets and squeezed the tiny hand clinging to his. "I'll stay here wid y', petite."

"Merci, m'sieur," Remy muttered, coloring with embarrassment. "Didn' want t' wake y' up."

"Don' worry 'bout dat, mon fils, but I told y' not t' call m' m'sieur, non? I'm y'r père now."

Bobby's heart thumped seeing the sudden bright smile on Remy's face.

"Oui, Remy remembers, père."

Bobby's smile weakened as Remy referred to himself in the third person again. "Remy, thanks for showing me what to do," he whispered and turned away from the bed. "Now I want you to wake up, Remy and don't you dare close this link!"

As Bobby opened his eyes he realized Remy was waking up as well. Immediately he checked on the status of the link. Yes, it was still open. Relieved, he gently shook Remy awake. "I want to talk to you, Remy!"

Remy shuddered, completely aware of what had happened. During his sleep the link had opened and had dragged Bobby into his dream. He didn't feel ashamed for what Bobby had seen, but he did feel bad for pulling Bobby in to his nightmares. //I've got t' close de link!//

//Remy, don't.//

Remy looked up at Bobby's warm eyes and sensed the sincerity in those two words. //I don' want t' hurt y',// Remy explained. His mind was a dark pit, filled with pain and guilt. He shouldn't expose Bobby to that.

//My choice, my decision.//

Remy trembled. //Oui, y'r choice, cher, but…//

//I can deal with the pain, Remy.// Bobby assured his lover and kissed his soft lips. //I want to ease your pain, shower you with my love… I can only do that when the link is open.// Bobby studied Remy's eyes. Hope flickered and he smiled. //I need you, Remy.//

//Need me?// Remy echoed surprised. //I don't understand, cher.//

//You will,// Bobby promised and sensed Remy's surrender. Yes, the link would remain open. //Thanks for trusting me, love. I won't let you down.//

Remy stared in wonder at the fierce resolve in Bobby's eyes. Finally he understood the magnitude of the love Bobby bore him. //I love y', cher,// Remy whispered in to his lover's mind.

///

"Wings?" Logan closed the door. His eyes quickly searched the room. It was late at night and he'd decided to check on the mansion's inhabitants. With Magneto staying here one couldn't be too careful.

"I'm fine, Logan," Warren replied. He'd been staring out of the window, wondering when the snow and ice would finally melt. It was time for spring, or at least for some sunbeams to lift the depressing mood that hung heavily over the mansion. "Where have you been?" he asked and looked over his shoulder.

"Makin' my rounds to be sure Magneto ain't playin' us for fools." Logan walked up to Warren and enfolded the man in an embrace. "What were ya thinkin' of?" Logan wasn't sure that he wanted to hear the answer. Warren was getting better, calmer, more focused. The nightmares had lessened in intensity and frequency and Logan knew Angel no longer needed him.

Soon Warren would tell him good-bye. He'd always known this day would come and he'd tried hard not to grow too attached to Warren, but… he'd always been a loyal man and he couldn't give only half his heart or soul. It hadn't surprised him to learn that his feelings for Warren ran deeper than he'd suspected.

When they'd fought the Marauders in the mansion and Warren had slammed into the wall, his heart had stopped momentarily. Then, seeing Sabretooth, all he'd been able to think of had been keeping Warren at a safe distance. Sabretooth would enjoy, no, relish, killing someone he loved.

Warren remembered Logan's question and leaned in to the embrace. "The future and…us," he said eventually, catching Logan's sharp intake of breath. Turning around in the embrace he managed to capture Logan's evasive eyes. "What?"

"It's okay, Wings. I understand," Logan muttered and released the man. After taking a few steps towards the doorway he muttered, "Ya know where to find me if ya need to talk."

Confused, Warren watched him exit his bedroom. What the hell had just happened? Mentally replaying the few words they had said, he couldn't find a reason for Logan to react the way he had.

Quickly, he stepped in to the corridor and was just in time to see Logan vanish inside his own room. "Logan, wait," he said and pushed a foot inside, preventing Logan from closing the door.

Surprised, Logan raised an eyebrow. Yes, he did understand. He had always known their liaison would only be temporary and he'd accepted that limitation. Warren was ready to face the world again and no longer needed him. //Ya've been a great teacher,// he sneered at himself. Warren had learned how to deal with his past. Now it was time to focus on the mess he'd made of his own life!

"What do ya want, Wings?" Suddenly Warren pushed him inside and reacting on impulse, his claws extended.

Warren looked at the deadly blades, but didn't fear them. Instead he quivered, remembering the way Logan had run them along his body during their lovemaking. The feel of deadly metal against his skin had pushed him over the edge. More than once he'd licked the spots they emanated from. During these few weeks he'd learned more about himself than in a lifetime. And he owed these personal revelations to Logan, Wolverine. A man he'd despised once.

Logan stepped aside, granting him entry. "What do ya want?" he repeated, irritated that Warren had followed him to his room.

"What's this all about?" Warren asked puzzled. "Are you upset because I was thinking about US?" he said, putting emphasis on the word.

"There's no us, Wings." Logan was about to throw Warren out of his room as Angel surprised him by pushing him against the wall. His claws had disappeared, but could pop out any moment. The expression in Warren's eyes puzzled him. "Back off, Wings!"

"Oh no!" Warren exclaimed, knowing he was playing with fire and loving it. "I don't know what you pretend to 'understand' as you just phrased it. I was thinking about US because I want to stop hiding this relationship."

Speechless, Logan stared in to clear eyes. "What did ya say?"

Warren leaned in closer and his tongue licked the skin beneath Logan's left ear. "All these years I've wasted thinking I'm that much better than you. I even left the team because I couldn't stand you."

Logan wanted to interrupt, but Warren's eyes told him not to. This was something Angel needed to get out of his system. "I was wrong, Logan. I'm not better than you. Truth is…"

"Yeah?" Logan said, as Warren's grip loosened. He could easily have slipped free, but he remained motionless.

"Truth is… I think I'm love with you." Warren chuckled softly. "Bobby is going to milk this one for years!"

Logan's eyes narrowed. "Ya're not thinking straight."

"That's true," Warren admitted. "I haven't been able to think logically because of YOU. Do you have any idea how much this frightened me? I've never before felt attracted to another man and now I'm in love with someone I actually feared!"

"Feared?" Logan said, realizing Warren had used the past tense.

"You don't scare me any longer, Logan. I can't explain it, but… when you walked into my room a moment ago I wanted you to make love to me. It was all I could think of. Does that make sense?" Warren pondered his own question. "It's more than just physical, Logan. Yes, you made me admit things I never wanted to face, but… there's this softness to you. A caring side not many people get to see."

Logan swallowed hard. "Are ya serious?" Oh yeah, he smelled the honesty on Warren, even his arousal, but he wanted to hear the words. Warren had surprised him greatly these last weeks. He'd discovered that Warren was a rather passionate lover once the man had done away with his prejudice. Secretly he'd always hoped their relationship would grow in to something stronger. Dependency was a bad foundation for any relationship.

"You want to know how serious I am?" Warren said in a hoarse tone.

Suddenly hands found a way inside his clothes and Logan realized he'd made a mistake in judgment. Warren wanted to be with him for the right reasons and suddenly Logan felt old and tired. "Warren?"

"Yes?" he looked up. Logan seldom addressed him in that way. Only then he realized how fatigued his lover looked. "Come on, let's get in to bed." Pulling Logan along Warren pondered everything that had happened lately. Sometimes he forgot Logan was human after all. To him the man consisted of pure strength and something old, something ancient he couldn't label.

Logan lay down on his bed and Warren moved in to his arms. Absentmindedly he stroked the soft feathers. "Do ya think the others already know about us?"

Warren closed his eyes and listened to Logan's steady heartbeat. "They may suspect something, but with all the problems the X-Men had lately I doubt they paid much attention to us." He loved the way Logan's hands moved over his feathers. Cocking his head he rested his chin on Logan's chest to look at his lover. "I never asked you if you're comfortable with this… relationship."

Logan smiled lazily. "More than comfortable," he whispered in a strangely soft tone. "More than comfortable."

///

Remy slowly opened his eyes and wondered where he was. Part of him believed everything had only been a dream and that Sinister was still holding him prisoner in his lab. But then he registered the warm body pressed into his, spooned behind him. He immediately picked up Bobby's dreams. His lover was still soundly asleep and in the middle of a rather passionate dream involving them both and… //Jean's fluffy handcuffs?//

Chuckling softly Remy bathed in Bobby's affectionate feelings for him. Last night had been a revelation. He'd never expected Bobby to stand at his side and fight the demons in his dreams, but his lover had done just that. Never again would he doubt Bobby's love.

He tried hard to control the urge to reach out telepathically to see if everyone at the mansion was doing fine. //Can' use dese powers. I shouldn' have dem.// But as Bobby shifted behind him Remy realized the link was more powerful than ever before. He wasn't sure he could take it down without Bobby's cooperation. His lover lived inside his mind, much like he did in Bobby's.

//I'll have t' accept dat I can' turn off de telepat'y wid Bobby, but I can refrain from usin' it on someone else!//

Even while resting in his lover's arms Remy felt depressed and guilty for merely existing. //I shouldn' be 'live!//

//Remy, stop thinking that!// Bobby admonished him, as his lover's inner turmoil woke him.

//Y're 'wake?// Remy hadn't realized Bobby's dreams had stopped.

//Love? I want to look at you.//

Remy slowly turned in Bobby's arms and hesitantly raised his eyes to look at his lover.

//I think you should take to Jean or Magneto… Scott.//

//I can' face dem, cher.// Shame was crushing him and Remy closed his eyes.

//You must!// Bobby stated, his mental voice firm, then switched to talking aloud. "I suggest you try Magneto first."

"Non," Remy replied, lapsing back into speech as well. Slowly, he freed himself from Bobby's arms and slipped out of bed.

"Remy?"

"I jus' want t' take a shower, cher," Remy reassured him. "Or a bat'."

"Go ahead, love. I'll prepare breakfast in the mean time." Bobby noticed the slouched way in which Remy moved. The elegance was gone and Remy appeared to be unwilling to move at all. With a start Bobby jumped out of bed and grabbed Remy's waist.

//Cher?// Remy looked up, startled and surprised. Bobby appeared upset, why?

//I love you,// Bobby sent and brushed Remy's cracked lips. //Don't run away from me. I know what you're thinking remember? Right now you're considering walking out of the mansion and never coming back. I'll kick your butt if I catch you thinking that again!//

Perplexed, Remy stared in to Bobby's eyes. //Merde!//

//I heard that!// Bobby chided him. //And don't forget to wash your hair. Want me to do your back later?// he offered to make up for the tone he had used earlier.

This time Remy smiled. //Only my back?//

Bobby sighed relieved. //You better keep Renard under control for now! Breakfast comes first!//

Remy nodded his head and wandered off to the bathroom. Absentmindedly he smiled. //I had f'rgotten I told him 'bout Renard!// Why was he feeling this gloomy? It wasn't like him to consider running away from his problems. Jean-Luc had taught him to always face them.

//You're depressed,// Bobby said compassionately. //It's a normal reaction after everything you've been through.//

//Oui, maybe y'r right, cher.// Remy admitted. Shudders racked his body as he looked in to the mirror. A stranger's face stared back at him.

//A face I love!// Bobby reminded him.

Remy smiled. Bobby had almost reached the kitchen and the link was still strong. He wondered how much distance he would have to put between them before it would die.

//Don't even think about finding the answer to that question!// Bobby admonished him.

//Cher, can I have some privacy here?// Remy distinctly registered Bobby's amused laughter.

//If you want me to do your back later you better get in to that bathtub now!//

Remy took off his clothes and refused to look at his too thin frame. //Need t' gain weight,// he realized and sighed thankfully when Bobby didn't respond. As he slid in to the warm water, he sighed and relaxed. His tired muscles loosened and Remy closed his eyes.

The warmth was comfortable and unexpectedly he started to cry. Loud sobs emanated from his throat, as he finally realized that he was safe.

//Remy? It's okay, love. Sinister is dead, remember? He can't hurt you.//

Bobby's thoughts echoed in his mind and Remy nodded his head. //I know, cher, but…//

//I'll be with you in a sec.//

//No need t' hurry,// Remy assured him. //I'll be fine.// Startled, Remy picked up the presence of another telepath. Instinctively he knew who it was. Her presence was too familiar. Remy did his best to lock her out, as he didn't want her to know he was using a power that was hers alone.

//Remy, please don't think like that,// Jean sent. //I don't blame you for anything. Please, I'm standing in the corridor. Can I come inside to talk to you?//

Panicking, Remy looked down at his naked body. //Non!// An amused chuckle drifted in to his mind. //Jean please!//

//Come on, Remy!// she sent amused. //You've got nothing I haven't seen before.//

Remy moaned. This wasn't going according to plan! Jean must have taken his silence as a yes because he suddenly registered soft footfalls coming his way. //Merde!// he cursed and grabbed the towels.

Quickly, he stepped out of the tub and slung the towels tightly around his frame. Panic returned as he realized he was about to face Jean…

Nervous, Jean pushed the door ajar and peeked inside. When she'd felt Remy's pain earlier she'd made up her mind. The professor might have advised her to wait and to let Remy make the first move, but… she couldn't bear the thought that her son was in pain.

"Remy?" she called softly and smiled upon seeing his dishevelled appearance, his hair was still wet and large droplets dripped on to the floor. The towels did little to hide how much weight he'd lost. He looked lost to her and the way he persisted in avoiding her eyes made her reach out with even more determination.

"Remy, come, let's sit down." Jean extended her hand, hoping Remy would accept it. But Remy remained motionless. Sighing, Jean took another step closer to him and took his left hand in hers. Her eyes locked on the bandages and almost healed punctures, which the IV's had left behind. Resolutely, she pulled him along. //Sit down,// she instructed and took a seat next to him on the bed.

Remy was confused. Why was Jean doing this? He would have understood if she had never talked to him again! Unexpectedly, her fingers started to untangle his hair, the gesture took him aback and he gingerly peeked at her face. To his surprise he found that she was smiling.

//I never knew I had another son. Nathan will want to meet you one day,// Jean told him in an effort to provoke some kind of reaction. But only blank surprise stared back at her. Charles had been right, she realized. Remy blamed himself for everything. She had to open up a little more.

//I know you can hear me, Remy. Why do you think I'm angry with you? Hasn't Bobby told you that I'm thrilled that you’re my son?//

"Thrilled?" Remy repeated stunned.

//Yes,// Jean replied and snaked one arm around his waist. //I always liked you, Remy and learning the truth about you hasn't changed that. In a way I'm thankful for what Sinister did with my DNA.//

Remy's eyes grew big at that admission. He must have misheard that remark. Did she really say she was thankful that…?

//Yes, Remy. Look at you. Every mother would be proud to have you as a son!// Jean had succeeded in curling her other arm around his frame as well and without paying attention to his startled expression, she pulled him close for a hug. //I’ve wanted to do this ever since the professor told us who you really are, Remy.//

Remy felt paralysed. Her words of acceptance were tearing the darkness inside his mind apart. Her presence, warm and golden, moved through his mind and caressed his thoughts. Her love wrapped itself around the cold inside his soul and engulfed it in warmth. He'd never felt something like this before and in a certain way it frightened him.

//Remy,// Jean sent, breaking the comfortable silence that had settled between them. //You can't deny that we are mother and son. Your mind and mine are too similar. I'm not asking you to call me mum, but… I want us to be friends.//

Remy was too focused on this warm presence inside his mind to reply. The warmth felt like it belonged there, like it knew every dark corner where he used to hide from the pain. Jean's thoughts touched all those places, each time assuring him everything was fine. It was more than he could take right now.

He'd spent these last days in his own private hell and his nemeses had almost destroyed him. If it hadn't been for Bobby and the X-Men he would still be Sinister's. He would have died in that lab, or maybe Sinister would have put him in a clone's body when his own had grown old. Shuddering, he looked at Jean. Her eyes radiated warmth and acceptance. He realized that she was waiting for some kind of reply. As he moistened his lips to speak, her gaze darkened slightly.

//Talk to me in my mind, Remy. It's your birth right, your inheritance.// Jean's eyes brightened again in expectation.

Mentally too tired to object, Remy gave in. //I don' know what t' say, what t' do.//

//What does your heart say?// Jean replied and kissed his brow.

Remy trembled at that touch. //I never had a mère,// he started and realized tears were flowing down his face. There was no way back now. He had to finish what Sinister had started. //When I was lil' I dreamed of my mère holdin' me an' I wondered why she'd left me behind. I always t'ought my parents didn' want me.//

//I can see why you'd think that,// Jean replied, gently wiping away the tears from his face. //I know it's a little late but I want you to know that I love you. I want you to be part of my little family. Yes, I know Scott sometimes acts… like a prick, but…// she paused, seeing the grin on his face. //But basically he's a good man and I know he wants a chance to get to know you better.//

Remy chuckled softly. //It feels good t' know dat my mère didn' abandon me,// he sighed in to her mind.

Pleased with her results, Jean decided not to dwell any longer on the past. She wanted Remy to know that things had changed. From this moment on he could count on his family to be there for him. //I love you, Remy,// she told him again. Jean suspected he needed to hear it many times more before he'd start believing it.

//Merci, Jean. Knowin' y're okay wid dis means a lot t' me,// Remy whispered shyly.

//Okay with it?// she repeated and grinned at him. //Remy, // and suddenly she knew words wouldn't sooth him. Instead she tightened the hug.

Remy wondered if she planned on hugging him to death. She was holding him like she never intended to let him go again! //Jean? I need t' breat'e, y' know?// But Jean's mischievous look threw him off balance.

//I want to hear you say it, just once, Remy. //

//What?// he wondered. The answer flashed brightly in her mind. //Does it mean dat much t' y'?// he thought and only then realized she'd heard that too.

//Yes.//

A smile, warm and accepting appeared on Remy's face. He wasn't sure who was the most nervous about this development, but in the end he found the courage and whispered, //Oui, mère.//

//Thanks, Remy.// Jean stroked her son's back and hoped it wasn't the last time he would address her like that.

///

Bobby stood in the corridor, listening to every word of the telepathic exchange between mother and son. He couldn't shut it out, as the link buzzed with energy. Jean's words however made him smile. "I told you to talk her!" he chided Remy who couldn't hear him.

"Uhm, Bobby?"

Scott's voice came as no surprise. Bobby suspected that Scott had listened to their conversation as well through the link Jean and he shared. Scott had changed his uniform for more casual clothes and glasses replaced the visor. It was hard to tell what the man was feeling and Bobby waited for his friend to address him.

"Think I can go inside?" Scott asked, his tone unsure.

Bobby nodded his head. "I think you should. Remy is opening up right now and you should take advantage of that. I'll wait here." He didn't want to distract Remy now that he was reaching out to Jean.

Scott mumbled a thank you and hesitantly stepped inside. Jean was so much better at handling these situations! He never knew what to say or to do, scared to screw up a fragile friendship or relationship.

Jean smiled, sensing her husband's insecurity. Talking to Remy would do Scott some good too. //Remy?// Her eyes shone with pleasure when he no longer tried to avert his eyes. Hopefully she had managed to convince him of her sincerity. "I think Scott wants a word with you as well." Jean got to her feet after placing one more kiss on his check. "I'll go and keep Bobby company."

//Scott wants t' talk t' me?// he asked Jean as she walked over to the doorway.

//Of course, what did you think?// Jean chided gently and opened the door. The couple exchanged a loving glance before Scott walked inside. Jean then took hold of Bobby's arm. "Come on, we're going to have some coffee. I think Scott and Remy need some time alone."

Bobby didn't object. There were some things he wanted to ask her any way.

///

Scott took a deep breath before making his way over to the bed. Remy suddenly looked too young to deal with this. There was something infinitely sad in those alien eyes and Scott wasn't sure what to say.

He picked up a robe lying on a chair and draped it over Remy's shoulders before sitting down. "You look cold," he whispered and stared at the floor.

"Merci," Remy mumbled and pulled the robe closer to his body, Scott was right, he did feel cold. But this time it was a physical cold, as his mind was still warm from Jean's thoughts.

"I'm not good at things like this," Scott muttered eventually. Remy was looking to him to set the tone of this conversation, but he was at a loss. What did one say in a situation like this?

Remy clutched the robe and couldn't help but sense Scott's confusion. However, there was no accusation, no anger aimed at him in Scott's mind and Remy relaxed. "I don' know what t' say…"

Scott smiled at hearing that. "You know that we already have one adult son? Nathan? And now we've got another."

"I know," Remy confirmed. "Cyke…" then corrected himself, "Scott, Je suis désolé…" he started, but Scott cut him short in a resolved tone.

"Damn it, Remy, stop being sorry for what Sinister did!"

Remy sucked in his breath, surprised by Scott's tone. "But he took Jean 'cause of me!"

Suddenly Scott began to understand. "Remy," he said and roughly grabbed Remy's hands. "Listen to me. When Sinister took Jean I was furious with myself for not being able to protect her. But then, I heard that you had left the mansion so Sinister would let her go and… What the hell were you thinking?" Scott vehemently shook his head. "That your life is worth less than Jean's?"

Remy was holding his breath. This lecture had been coming for a long time and Scott wasn't holding back.

"You're my son, damn it! If Sinister had killed you, I would have never forgiven myself. I was the one who had to protect you and I screwed up! Don't you ever dare sneak off like that again! You're not too old to be spanked, young man!"

"Spanked? Mon Dieu, did you really say spanked'?" Remy repeated stunned.

"Well, or we could ground you, but locking you up in your room wouldn't be much of a punishment, knowing Bobby would find a way to sneak in!" Scott continued as his tone softened. "I know this must come as a shock to you, but we care a lot about you. And Jean… I think she's going to fuss over you until she's sure you're feeling better."

"Merde," Remy whispered slight amused. "She almost hugged me t' deat' a moment ago!"

Scott smiled and gently squeezed Remy's hands. "I guess I just want you to know that I'm okay with this."

Remy locked eyes with Scott and sensed it was the truth. "Merci," he said honestly. "I was 'fraid dat…"

"We wouldn't accept you," Scott finished knowingly. "We were never angry with you, Remy."

Immensely thankful Remy smiled weakly.

"Now get dressed, young man! I'm hungry and last time Logan ate my breakfast because I was late."

"I ain't leavin' dis room." Remy looked up apologetically. He felt safe here and he didn't want to run in to Magneto by accident, as he still feared that confrontation.

"Oh yes you are!" Scott replied in a firm tone and walked over to the cupboard. "Bobby's clothes will fit," he remarked and threw Remy some jeans and a white shirt. "Now, do you need assistance?"

"Non!" Remy said and shivered at the thought of Scott helping him get dressed. Slowly he picked up the clothes and walked in to the bathroom.

"Hurry up in there! I'm hungry!" Scott called loudly and complimented himself for not giving in to Remy. No way would he allow Remy to hide in this room!

Remy sighed in resignation and brushed his hair. Why was Scott acting like this all of a sudden? As he returned to the bedroom, he noticed Scott had already opened the door.

"Let's go," Scott stated and smiled. Remy's eyes were questioning him and he suddenly realized that if Sinister had made another change in Remy's DNA those eyes might have possessed another quality. Remy might have been able to control the optic blast, but Sinister had decided differently or made a mistake when rearranging the DNA.

Remy unintentionally received that particular thought. It was distressing to know that Scott's DNA was probably responsible for his alien eyes.

Scott made an educated guess at what had upset Remy and smiled weakly. "I never thought of them as demon's eyes," he said reassuringly.

"Merci," Remy whispered and allowed Scott to rest a hand on his shoulder, it was the strangest thing to suddenly be accepted by his parents. He'd always dreamed something like this would happen some day and now that the time had come he felt shy and… hurt.

//

Logan was fully aware of Warren's appreciative gaze, as he slipped into his clothes. Last night Warren had initiated their lovemaking and Logan had found himself pinned down on to his stomach. Warren hadn't wasted any time in claiming him and had buried himself inside his lover. What had shocked Logan most had been his own willingness to surrender. Maybe Warren wasn't the only one still learning about his desires and needs.

"Hungry?" Warren inquired and stretched his body. His wings almost touching the walls as he spread them.

"Yeah," Logan grunted. Fully dressed he returned to the bed and observed Warren's seductive pose, legs spread, resting on his elbows, he presented a challenge. But Logan shook his head. "Warren, 'bout last night," Logan started and wondered when Wings had changed in to Warren. He'd never liked that name and yet, it now rolled gently off his tongue.

Warren grinned wickedly. "I wasn't sure you'd let me do that to you. You're always the one in control, calling the shots, but last night… I don't know what happened."

Logan cupped his lover's face in the palm of his hand. "Ya surprised me."

"I surprised myself," Warren admitted and cocked his head to savour Logan's caress. "I hope I didn't do anything wrong… It was my first time…" Warren offered as an apology.

"Ya were great," Logan assured him and hesitated to add the next bit. "An' I liked it that ya were the aggressive one for a change. I didn't know how temptin' it could be to… simply trust someone else to take care of yar needs."

Warren nodded his head and sat upright. "That's how I feel about you, Logan. I know that you'll take care of me and I want to do the same thing for you. I trust you."

Logan swallowed hard. "So ya're serious 'bout tellin' the others?"

"Yes," Warren said in a firm tone. "But let me tell Bobby? I want to see the look on his face when he finds out!'

Amused, Logan shook his head, as he tried to imagine Bobby's reaction. "Okay, but I get to tell Gumbo."

Warren looked slightly disappointed at that. "Okay," he gave in. Quickly, he got out of bed and picked up his clothes from the floor. Hopefully Logan hadn't shredded them last night. The pace had turned frantic once he'd told Logan what he planned on doing to him.

Logan started to suspect that Warren was stalling, studying his clothes like that. Seeing that subtle and exotic looking body in front of him, his mouth started to water. "Ya better hurry up or I'll throw ya right back on the bed."

Warren grinned. "Talk is cheap, Logan." Warren put on his trousers. "Maybe tonight we can… steal those handcuffs Jean gave Remy for Christmas?" His heart thumped as he imaged what Logan would look like cuffed to the bed. "I want to try them on you," Warren said seductively, as he moved to the door. "Throw YOU face down on the bed, spread those legs and take you hard and deep."

Logan's only response was a low, dangerous growl.

"Like that?" Warren said; the challenge clear in his voice.

Logan got up from the bed and stalked him. Warren was getting an attitude and it was time to lay down the rules. "No one ties me down."

"We'll see about that!" Warren quipped, opened the door and flew downstairs. Looking back he saw the bulge in Logan's trousers. But his lover wasn't the only one aroused. His own erection was throbbing painfully.

"Hey, look where you're flying!"

The warning came too late and the collision swept the other person off his feet. "Bobby?" Warren whispered and noticed Jean failed in hiding a chuckle.

"What's gotten in to you?" Bobby asked surprised. Warren looked different. The eyes sparkled and he seemed very energetic.

"Sorry, I was distracted," Warren said softly, but kept a close eye on Logan who now strode down the stairs, an evil gleam in his eyes.

"Ya wanted to tell the ice cube? Here's yar chance!" Logan sneered and extended his claws.

"Oh shit," Warren cursed, recognizing that expression in Logan's eyes. It usually meant he ended up on all fours with Logan driving him insane. "Got to go!" he yelped and tried putting more distance between him and his lover.

"No way," Logan whispered and leaped in to the air, pulling Warren down with him.

"What's this about?" Bobby turned to Jean, a helpless expression in his eyes.

"Lover's quarrel," Jean whispered in return and giggled.

"What?" Bobby repeated and looked at the two men, both struggling to end up on top. Logan's claws had disappeared, but his grin proved he was enjoying himself. "Are you telling me," and Bobby looked at Jean, "that they're…"

"Together, a couple, dating," Jean started and smiled at Bobby's baffled expression.

//Remy?// Bobby called his lover. //You're not going to believe this!//

//I heard everyt'ing, cher,// came Remy's response. //I can imagine Wolvie likin' men, but I always t'ought…//

"That Warren was as heterosexual as they got!" Bobby finished aloud.

Warren sought Bobby's eyes. "I wanted to tell you myself," he started.

Logan used that moment to gain advantage and straddled his lover's hips. "I guess they know now."

"Yes, I guess they do," Warren admitted and shrugged his shoulders. Logan was hard and his arousal pressed against his body, demanding satisfaction.

Bobby fought hard to keep a dignified face, but finally exploded with laughter. "This is too much!"

"Logan, let go!" Warren demanded and locked eyes with his lover, telling him this wasn't the right time or place to have sex.

Logan growled his disappointment, but got to his feet. Extending a hand, Warren grabbed it. Logan pulled his lover up from the floor. Suddenly he realized it had been Jean who had mentioned the lover's quarrel. "Ya knew 'bout this?" he asked her.

Jean nodded her head once. "The two of you radiate lust and wamth. You don't have to be a telepath to know what's going on. I'm happy for both of you." Jean claimed Bobby's arm and dragged him to the kitchen. She was hungry and in need of some black coffee.

"That went rather well," Warren said pleased. Then, he stared in to Logan's eyes.

"Ya know what we're gonna do after breakfast?" Logan baited him.

"Oh yes, I know," Warren muttered sensually. "And I'm looking forward to it!"

///

Questioningly, Remy looked up at Scott who had fallen in step beside him. "Is it true? Are Logan and Ange…?"

"Oh that," Scott muttered distracted. "Yes, I guess so. Jean told me they had gotten quite close these last weeks." He'd been too occupied back then to discuss this with the professor or Jean. Sinister had been lurking behind their backs and he didn't really see any problems just because Logan and Warren were doing the deed.

Remy smiled briefly. As long as he could focus on someone else, everything was fine. He just didn't want to think about his own problems.

They reached the kitchen and Scott gestured Remy to step inside first. Not in a mood to argue about something this trivial Remy complied. Immediately he smelled coffee and toast. His stomach began to growl loudly and he smiled apologetically at Scott.

"When was the last time you ate?" Scott inquired concerned. While waiting for the others to join them he started to squeeze some oranges. Remy could use some extra vitamins.

"Last night. Jean made pancakes?" Remy said in an uncertain tone.

"Guess you only ate one!" Scott remarked and handed him the fresh orange juice.

Remy hesitated to accept it. "I can make my own."

"Just drink it, Remy!" Scott instructed and walked over to the fridge, getting everything he needed to prepare breakfast. "How do you want your eggs?"

Remy almost choked on the juice hearing that question. Was Scott going to make him breakfast?

"Scrambled," Bobby replied instead as he strolled in to the kitchen, followed by Jean, Warren and Logan.

Remy sighed. The last thing he wanted was to be the center of attention. He didn't feel comfortable with this many people around, even though they were his friends.

//Relax,// Bobby told him and sat down next to his lover. //Look at them,// and he pointed Logan and Warren out to Remy. The two men were bickering and keeping a close eye on each other. //Remind you of someone?//

//We're not like dat!// Remy objected. Feeling shy all of a sudden he avoided looking in to Warren's eyes, as the man tried to catch his gaze.

//Yes, we are!// Bobby stated and buttered his toast. "Hand me the strawberry marmalade?" he asked Warren.

Warren carried the item over to the table and sat down as well. His wings quivered, feeling Logan's eyes on him. "Remy? We were worried about you," he said, telling Logan with an impatient gesture to stop stalking him.

Logan took the hint and decided to pester Scott instead. The bacon and eggs smelled heavenly and he was determined to grab that first portion.

"I'm feelin' better, merci," Remy acknowledged and was pleased with the change he sensed in Warren. "Y' look happy."

"Well," Warren replied and actually blushed. "Logan has something to do with that."

"I know," Remy admitted softly. Bobby's hand squeezed his knee and he quickly reached down to curl his fingers around his lover's.

Scott walked over to the breakfast table and placed the bacon and eggs on it. Logan followed him, grumpy because Scott had refused to give him a serving before the others had had a chance to decide if they wanted some or not.

Remy's eyes widened as Bobby started to pile up food items on his plate. //I hope y' don' expect me t' eat all dat!//

//I do!// Bobby replied and smiled.

///

Magnus followed his nose, picking up seductive fragrances coming from the kitchen. Hungry, he decided to go in search of some breakfast himself. As he got closer to the kitchen, he identified several voices and he almost turned back, not wanting to spoil their conversation. But at hearing Remy's voice he changed his mind. Resolved, Magnus marched into the kitchen. It was time to talk things out.

///

All voices died as Magnus strode inside. Ashamed, Remy stared at his plate. This was why he'd wanted to stay in his room! Damn Scott for making him leave his sanctuary. Remy told himself not to peek at Magnus' feelings. Not because he didn't want to infringe on the man's privacy, but because he was too scared to learn Magnus' feelings for him. He didn't want to experience Magnus' anger or loathing.

Bobby, who had picked up on those thoughts, looked at Jean for guidance. He knew for certain that Magneto didn't loathe Remy, but his lover would never believe him. Jean saved him.

"Maybe we should eat in the living room." Jean poked Logan in the ribs, telling him to grab his plate and follow her. One by one they left the kitchen until only Remy and Bobby remained.

Remy almost panicked as Bobby picked up his plate to join the others. //Don' go, cher!//

"Everything will be just fine," he soothed his lover and smiled tenderly. "Trust me." On his way out he searched Magnus' eyes and was assured by the firm expression they possessed.

"We need to talk," Magnus started and took in Remy's shy appearance. He'd only once seen the young man this withdrawn and uncertain. "This reminds me of our first encounter." Magnus poured himself some coffee and sat down opposite his son. "You know better than to be afraid of me."

Remy pushed back his chair, but then froze. "Do y' hate me?"

"Hate you?" Magnus repeated, tasting the words. "No."

Remy sighed slightly relieved. "Y've got every right t' hate me."

"Why?" Magnus placed his mug on the table and studied his son.

"Sinister created me wit'out y'r permission." Remy really didn't want to go there. He just wanted to get back in bed with Bobby and lose himself in his lover's arms and mind.

"I knew you'd blame yourself," Magnus commented. He rose from the chair and then walked up to Remy. Slowly, he took hold of those delicate wrists and pulled Remy to his feet so he could look him in the eyes. "You didn't do anything wrong, Remy. Sinister committed these crimes. You didn't."

Remy devoured every word Magnus spoke. "I was 'fraid."

"Why?" Magnus asked patiently.

"Y' saved my life once… I was scared y' wished y'd left me t' die instead." Remy smiled weakly. "Y'r… friendship means a lot t' me."

"Friendship," Magnus mumbled and turned Remy's hands in his until the palms faced upwards. Slowly he traced the lines inside the thief's hands. "My feelings for you go much deeper than friendship," he confessed.

Remy tried hard not to let go of the surprised moan that threatened to escape his lips. The way Magneto's was caressing his hands was… beyond words. "I wondered 'bout dat," he admitted. "Why are y' still here?"

"I want to get to know my son." Magnus cocked his head and smiled. "And maybe he wants to get to know one of his fathers?"

Remy smiled. "Jean-Luc is de only père I ever had… but… now it seems I've got two more."

"And a mother," Magnus pointed out to him, now firmly clasping Remy's hands in his. In order to make this work he needed the physical contact. It would make it a lot harder on Remy to shut him out.

"Oui," Remy whispered. "I never t'ought I'd ever get t' know my real identity."

"So, will you stop avoiding me?" Magnus asked softly and brought Remy's hands close to his chest.

"Oui," Remy sighed.

Magnus' smile took on a mischievous expression. "Aren't you going to give your father a hug?"

Feeling strangely shy Remy hesitated.

Magnus however, pulled him closer and held him for a few moments. "Looks like we both found what was missing in our lives."

Nodding his head Remy tasted the truth in those words. "I can' explain it," he started gingerly and rested his head on his father's chest. "But I feel… connected t' y'. Wid Jean dere is de telepat'ic link, but wid y'… it's different."

"I know, son. It was there right from the start. When I found you in Antarctica I began to care for you." Magnus understood what Remy was trying to say.

A soft voice coming from the doorway caught their attention and father and son both looked up.

"Are the two of you joining us in the living room?" Charles inquired with a bright smile. "I think Logan is dying to sneak back in to the kitchen to get more bacon and eggs."

"Yes, we will," Magnus replied for both of them.

Remy followed his father into the corridor and peeked at the professor, who had set everything in motion with that DNA test. //Merci, m'sieur for givin' me back my family.//

Charles smiled in return. Watching both men disappear around the corner he nodded his head. Maybe he'd been right about Magnus after all. There was a core of goodness and righteousness in that troubled soul. Something told him that he'd just witnessed a new beginning.

The End