Insanity

by Morgana

Email: morganalebeau@yahoo.com

Fandom: XMen

Rating: NC-17

Pairings: Remy/Scott

Summary: As months pass by the team settles back into their routine, but Creed's still lurking and plans on using Remy to control his urges. When Remy faces insanity, Scott begins to realize his attraction to the Cajun.

Many thanks to Mems for beta reading the parts

NOTE: These are four stories and should be read in the correct order, otherwise they won't make much sense. The Eyes Of A Child is the first story, followed by Shadows and Insanity. Return to Innocence is now finished. Please note that this story deals with rape and child abuse and is therefore rated NC-17.

Authors Warning! Please read this warning carefully and then decide whether or not to read "Eyes of a child".

In this story I describe Remy's childhood in an Alternate Universe. Remy escapes from the Antiquary, but ends up on the streets of New Orleans where he has to survive on his own. He doesn't have any real friends and is forced to sell his body to stay alive. Remy is a nine year hustler in this story and the sexual acts are described in a graphic manner. There is even one scene in which Remy faces rape. If you don't like to read these kind of stories go back and chose another story or go to another site. Please do not write me, telling me I've got a sick mind. This is fanfiction and like all my other stories this one will have a happy end.

Author's note - I stole Jean-Luc's speech from http://library.magellanspecialty.com/healthmessages/Sexuality.htm as I don't know too much about the subject myself. No copyright infringement is intended.

Insanity

by Morgana

 

Chapter 1

Hugo

Remy stared out over the lake, wondering what was keeping him here. Scott had moved out of the boathouse six months before and was doing fine. At times, Scott flinched, especially when someone mentioned Jean's name, but Scott had apparently found a way to deal with Jean's death. He was back in charge of the X-Men and was once more leading the team on missions.

A divided team... t'ings will never be like dey were 'fore Antarctica. He stayed away from the mansion as much as possible, 'hiding' at the boathouse. Neither Charles nor Scott had succeeded in reuniting the two groups. Surprisingly enough one person had changed factions. Warren had given him a second chance, which had put the other man in a difficult position. As a result, Betsy and Warren had called it quits. Gotta give him credit. Ange's been tryin' since we talked. And in return, he was trying to be less distrustful of Warren.

"Hey, what are you doing out here?" Scott walked up to the Cajun and sat down on the grass. It was a beautiful day. The sun shone steadily, warming them, and a cool, refreshing breeze prevented the high temperature from becoming oppressive.

Remy didn't bother to look at Scott, knowing the other man felt at peace. His empathic powers told him that Scott had managed to give Jean a place in his heart and although she was dead, she would always live on in his soul. "Rien... jus' starin' at de water." He didn't feel up to small talk. This was one of those days when he felt melancholy and alone.

"Will you join us for dinner later? Bobby and Hank are preparing dinner."

Remy briefly considered accepting the offer, but... "Rogue and Storm... dey'll be dere too?"

Scott nodded once. "Remy, you can't continue avoiding them. You've got to set things straight, talk to them."

Remy's anger flared. Why am I 'ways de one in de wrong? Why is it always me who has to make amends? Dey made mistakes too, but Storm will never admit she was wrong and Rogue... she's only interested in puttin' me down, especially since Joe ended deir relationship. Wonder why he no longer wants her?

"Remy, are you still with me?" Scott frowned, worried. Lately, Remy had been retreating mentally, even to the point of isolating himself from the others. He still felt slightly guilty for moving out of the boathouse six months ago, but he hadn't had a choice. The team had needed a real leader. Although Storm had assumed leadership, she hadn’t had the right attitude to keep all team-members alive. "Remy?"

"I'm listenin', Scott... jus' tired..." He hadn't slept well these last few months. Although Scott and he had only slept in the same bed for a month, he missed the warm body, and the mind, which had always been close.

"Is something bothering you, Remy? You know you can talk to me." Scott hoped Remy would take the hint and opened up to him. "You helped me when I was feeling depressed, maybe I can do the same thing for you now?"

"You can' help, Cyke." When had Scott changed back into Cyke? Right after Scott had moved back to the mansion. No one could help him. He would never fit in and maybe he should give up on becoming a real member of the team. At times, he felt like the others only tolerated him because he had helped Scott. Oh, he knew he still had friends at the mansion, but the cold hatred that he felt when Rogue was around outweighed the warm, friendly feelings from the others.

Tightening his shields, he managed to lock out Scott's mental presence. Whenever Scott was around, it felt like they were somehow connected, but that was wishful thinking, being fed by his loneliness. It would have felt good to belong, so he pretended he belonged... with Scott. In his daydreams and nightly visions, Scott was always close to him. In his imagination, Scott hadn't moved out of the boathouse and in his dreams they were still sleeping in the same bed, curled up tightly against one another. But right now he couldn't pretend. "You'd best leave me 'lone, Cyke. I'm bad company."

Scott didn't like the direction this conversation was taking. He was determined to force Remy out of his depression. The professor said that Remy needs company, that an empath can go mad from loneliness. I allowed him to slip away. Hopefully it's not too late yet to rectify my mistake.

"Remy, why don't we go out for dinner? Just the two of us? That way we can catch up on recent events. We haven't talked, really talked, in a long time. Six months to be exact." He had never considered what effect his moving out would have on Remy. Maybe he should have stayed at the boathouse a little longer, until Remy had mentally recovered as well. He had been selfish, moving out like that. Once he had felt better, he had deserted the one who had helped him heal.

Remy blinked his eyes. "Don' know, Cyke..." Going out for dinner meant spending time with Scott. It meant paying attention and pretending he was coping. How long could he keep up the front that he was doing fine? He already felt tired; he was suffering from insomnia and he feared slipping back into his fantasies and alienating Scott.

"Come on, Remy. We're going to eat a bite. It's not like I'm asking you to fight Apocalypse." Scott wasn't going to give up easily. Remy's absentminded and haunted expression worried him.

Remy caved in, all resistance dwindling. Spending time with Scott did seem appealing and maybe he wouldn't feel so alone tonight. "Bien, we'll do dinner." Remy rose from the now cold and damp earth and wiped away the grass that clung to his jeans. "Do you wanna go someplace fancy? Do I have to change?"

"Depends on where you want to eat dinner. You pick the place." Scott allowed himself to smile, glad he had achieved this victory.

"Burger King?" Remy shrugged his shoulders. Food held no attraction at all. When had he eaten last? Had he even eaten breakfast? He didn't remember.

"You want greasy? I can do greasy," Scott teased, hoping to do away with the tension between them. That tension hadn't been there six months ago. Remy seemed unapproachable, unreachable and he hoped to connect with the Cajun again, like he had after Jean's death. "You're decent enough to go to Burger King," Scott continued to tease. "Let's take the car and find ourselves a Burger King restaurant." Scott rested his hand on Remy's arm, trying to comfort the Cajun, but the younger man jerked away from his touch. "Remy?" Scott tried to catch Remy's elusive eyes.

"Sorry," Remy offered apologetically. "I don' feel bien..."

The dark circles beneath his eyes had long given him away. Scott nodded his head. "Are you having trouble sleeping?" To his surprise, Remy moved further away from him, increasing the distance between them. What's going on? I know it's been six months since we really talked last, but... Damn, I've been neglecting him. I always thought I was better than the others who mistreated him, but I did the same thing.

"Don' really wanna discuss dat," Remy said evasively. Six months ago he would have told Scott about his insomnia, but the emotional bond had faded while they had been apart. He had let Scott inside once before and he wasn't going to make the same mistake twice. It just showed that Scott was like the others. When they needed him, they used him and then they disposed of him. He was tired of being used; it had to stop.

"Remy, what happened?" Scott forced himself to address the issue. Pretending everything was fine between them wasn't going to work. "You helped me fight my nightmares, helped me sleep and now... where did these barriers come from?"

You left me... For a short while I hoped you'd stay. But he didn't speak the words. He felt honored that he had been the one to help Scott cope with Jean's death and he shouldn't be ungrateful. No one had ever needed him like that before and just remembering sleeping in the same bed with Scott made him feel warm inside. Pat'etic!

"Remy, are you still with me?" They had reached the garage and Scott walked over to the blue BMW parked near the exit. He opened the car door, sat down behind the steering wheel and keyed the ignition. It was a good thing that he kept the keys in the car at all times.

Remy moved slowly as he sat down on the passenger's seat. Being close to Scott, talking to the man, he felt oddly out of place. Was he dreaming again? When had he started having trouble telling reality from fantasy? He buckled up after Scott reminded him to put the seatbelt on and he stared out of the window as Scott set the car in motion. Within a few minutes they had left the mansion grounds. He flinched when they passed the spot where Creed had knocked him unconscious.

Scott saw Remy flinch and his jaw set firmly. Only six months ago I vowed to pay attention to what was happening to Remy and now... Remy shifted on his seat and Scott frowned. Has he lost that much weight? The jeans seem baggy and so does the shirt. But he couldn't say for sure. "So when will you move back to the mansion? It doesn't feel right, knowing you're all alone at the boathouse."

You could have stayed wit' me. No one forced you to move back to de mansion. The bitterness that bubbled up from deep within him surprised Remy. He hadn't known he resented Scott for leaving the boathouse. "Won' be movin' back anytime soon. Dis is best for everyone."

Displeased, Scott shook his head. "Are you sure? You know you’ve got friends there? Hank would love to see you move back and so would Logan and Bobby. Even Warren wouldn't mind." Hearing that Warren had left Betsy had surprised him, but he found himself applauding the decision. I doubt they really loved each other. They each used the other to show off. Maybe Warren will start reevaluating his priorities.

"Mebbe," Remy said, a hint of disbelief coloring his tone. Mais I doubt dey want me 'round fulltime. He resumed staring at the landscape that flashed by. "Why are you takin' me out for dinner, Cyke?" Remy's eyes grew big. Merde, had he really said that? He had only intended to think it! When will you learn to keep your big mout' shut?

A pang of guilt made Scott cringe. "I'm sorry that I've been so busy lately. I promised myself I’d stay in touch with you and instead our interaction has been limited to communicating during missions."

Hearing the obvious apology, Remy frowned. "Non, c'est bon. I can take care of myself. Have been doin' dat my entire life. You're doin' your job, Cyke." Inwardly torn, he wondered what he wanted. Did he want Scott close or not? It was easier to pretend when Scott wasn't around, but spending time with Scott made him feel alive. Feeling trapped, he peeked at Scott as the other man pulled in to the parking lot and put the car in to park.

"I hope you're hungry. I don't usually eat those greasy burgers, but when I indulge myself I go all the way and I want dessert as well." Scott opened the car door and drew in a deep breath of fresh air. When Remy stayed frozen in his seat, he walked over to the other side of the car, opened the door and smiled. "Are you joining me?"

Remy almost whispered 'no', but kept quiet instead. Scott was going through all this trouble to make him eat and the least he could do was be cooperative. Remy slid from his seat and fell into step beside Scott.

The awkward silence unnerved Scott; something was definitely wrong with Remy and he grew even more worried. Maybe he should spend some time with the Cajun. Maybe stay at the boathouse for a few days to make sure Remy finally got a decent night's sleep. There were no pressing matters to attend to and he could use a short break himself. How would Remy react when he told the Cajun about his plans?

They had reached the counter and a young lady, who was smiling brilliantly, asked for their order.

"What are you having?" Scott asked, while studying the menu. When had he eaten fast food last? Jean had never approved of fast food, but he enjoyed eating it occasionally.

Remy forced himself to check out the menu. The smell of the food was making him nauseous and he wasn't sure he would be able to keep the meal down, but he had to try, for Scott. He might as well choose something that would be easy on his stomach. "A Whopper, no mayo, French Fries, small, and a diet coke."

Scott realized that Remy had chosen the food items with the lowest calories. "Okay, I want..." Scott took a deep breath, secretly enjoying the prospect of indulging himself by eating all this grease. "Double whopper with cheese and mayo, French fries, king-size, onion rings, Sprite and Dutch apple pie." Oh, he was almost drooling, just stating his order.

"Hey, Cyke, you're addicted to grease?" The empath sensed Scott's obvious excitement.

Scott laughed as the girl began filling their orders. "This one's on me," he announced and paid for their orders. "Why don't you go find us a spot to sit down while I wait for our orders?"

"Sure, Cyke." Remy walked away from the counter and scanned the room for vacant seats. In the end, he found a nice secluded table at the back. Sitting down, he judged it safe to briefly remove his sunglasses; no one was watching him anyway. Massaging his temples, he hoped the beginning headache wouldn't grow worse. People's emotions were battering against his shields.

"Still tired?" Scott placed the tray on their table and handed Remy his order. He noticed the reluctance with which Remy picked at his food, only eating tiny bites of his burger. The French fries remained untouched and his own appetite was dwindling, seeing Remy poke at his food.

"Un peu," Remy admitted.

"You aren't particularly talkative tonight, huh?" Scott finished his whopper and sipped his Sprite. "Why don't you tell me what's going on? You look like hell."

"Merci for de compliment," Remy said sarcastically. "I don' wanna talk 'bout it."

"Not so long ago, someone told me that keeping it all inside didn't help, remember that? That person was you." Scott didn't mind fighting dirty and using Remy's words against him.

Remy bit his lower lip. "Don' push it, Cyke."

"Name's Scott. Why are you shutting me out, Remy?" Scott pushed the tray away from him and concentrated on Remy. "You're having trouble sleeping... is it nightmares?"

Remy shook his head. "Why won' you leave me 'lone?"

Remy's resistance surprised Scott. Why was the Cajun determined to lock him out? "Because I care." Remy's head jerked up, hearing those words. Bull's eye!

Remy licked his lips, wondering if he should confide in Scott or not. "Don' sleep at all."

"You're suffering from insomnia?" Scott felt surprised. "When was the last time you slept all through the night?" He feared hearing Remy's reply. His instincts told him he was somehow to blame for this.

"De last night you spent at de boathouse. I've been tossin' and turnin' ever since. I sometimes fall 'sleep for one, two hours, mais den I'm 'wake 'gain."

"And it's driving you insane," Scott realized. "You did sleep well when I was staying at the boathouse?" Remy's nod confirmed his suspicions. He did have something to do with Remy's insomnia. "Want me to spend the night at the boathouse tonight?" The look Remy gave him spoke of shock.

"What?" Remy stuttered.

"When I was trying to cope with Jean's death you kept the nightmares away. I want to return that favor. Maybe my presence will help you fall asleep and stay asleep."

Remy shivered. "Non."

"Why not?" Scott wasn't giving up yet.

"You live at de mansion now."

"I can pack some stuff and move back for a few days if it will help you sleep." Scott gathered the wrapping paper and boxes and placed them back on the tray, ready to be disposed of when they left the establishment. "Think about it, okay? Don't dismiss it yet." Scott got to his feet, picked up the tray and cleaned it off. He expected Remy to follow him, but when he turned around, he realized that the Cajun had turned deathly pale.

Oh, non, mon Dieu... dis ain' happenin'! Remy shook violently, meeting dark, vicious eyes. A bulky man was watching him from the next table. Non, non! It can' be him! Can' be! He needed to get out of here before he suffered a full blown panic attack, but he felt paralyzed and he could only stare as the other man rose to his feet and walked up to him.

"Well, what a surprise. You still owe me a fuck, boy. I paid more than enough for your scrawny ass."

Hugo, it's him! It's de face I saw in my nightmares for years! He haunted my dreams when I was a chile and his face still haunts me some nights. Non... non, dis can' be happenin! His breathing quickened and tremors shook his body. Fighting for air, he remained frozen on the chair.

Scott noticed the panic stricken expression on Remy's face and returned to the table. He didn't know the man Remy was talking to, but the leather clothing, cold eyes and evil grin made him wary.

"You still a virgin, boy? I paid to be the first one to fuck you..." Hugo snarled, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "Whadda ya say? Want to make it up to me now?"

Remy started to hyperventilate and in a blind panic, he forced his body to move. He jumped up from his chair, almost tripped over a kid's toy and managed to run toward the doorway. Was Hugo following him? He didn't dare look over his shoulder. Once outside, he tried to regulate his breathing. His face felt wet and he suddenly realized that he was crying. Doubling over, he wrapped his arms around his waist and threw up what he had just eaten. His worst nightmare had come true!

Scott grabbed Hugo's wrist as the man tried to follow Remy outside. "Leave him alone." He had caught Hugo's last words and although he was puzzled, he realized that this man meant Remy harm.

"What? You're his new pimp? I ain't paying twice for his ass." Hugo freed himself of Scott's hold.

His pimp? Paying for his ass? What the hell is this about? Looking outside, he saw that Remy was throwing up. I can find out later. I've got to look after Remy first. "We're not done yet," he hissed and registered Hugo's grin. The man wasn't impressed.

Setting his priorities, Scott hurried outside and joined Remy, who was still suffering from dry heaves. "Hey, it's okay, don't fight it." Awkwardly but gently, Scott eased Remy's hair away from his face and rubbed the Cajun's back tenderly. "Done?"

Remy nodded his head; relieved the panic attack was over. "Wanna leave... wanna leave now!"

Scott flinched at the hysterical tone and reacted at once. He steered Remy toward the car and helped him inside. "Here." He handed Remy some bottled water, which he always kept in the car in case he had a long drive ahead of him. "Sorry, but I don't have mouthwash."

Remy didn't say a word. He used the water to rinse his mouth and spit the water onto the ground. After closing the car door, he leaned back and tried to get his fear back under control. Hugo couldn't touch him now. He was older and he knew how to defend himself against perverts like Hugo. One blow, delivered with his bo staff, could split Hugo's head like a ripe melon. Yes, he was safe... safe...

"Remy, what's this about?" Scott turned on the engine, but didn't drive away yet.

The panic returned fully when Remy realized that Scott had most likely overheard Hugo's words. Oh non, he can' know. Don' let him figure out what happened! Don' wanna lose de li'l respect he has for me! In shock, Remy curled up on his seat.

Scott stared at the unresponsive man. He needed to get Remy out of here and into an environment where he felt safe. "We're going back to the boathouse, okay?" But Remy didn't respond and Scott had to buckle his passenger up. We'll talk about this once you feel up to it.

Had he understood correctly? Scott's memory drifted back to the words the man had spoken. He just couldn't believe the conclusion he reached. He said he 'paid for his ass'. Mentioned Remy being a virgin and him wanting to be the first to... fuck him... What does that sound like? Shivers ran up and down his spine. Was Remy a prostitute once?

Looking at the shivering man in the passenger's seat, Scott dismissed that idea. Remy's terrified of this man. Whatever happened wasn't consensual... I can't believe this... was he raped? We really need to talk about this, but first... After delivering Remy to the boathouse he would return to Burger King and question this bastard who had scared Remy.

Remy had turned inward and was completely focused on numbing his feelings. He didn't want to feel the pain, fear and humiliation that came with being confronted by Hugo. All these years he had convinced himself that he had dealt with his time on the streets and now Hugo was back to haunt him. Ain' feelin' de pain, ain' feelin' de humiliation, de fear, de horror... ain' feelin' a t'ing... rien...

Scott sighed as Remy's eyes closed. Remy became completely motionless and if it hadn't been for the other man's breathing he would have thought Remy was dead. I'm going to find out what that was about... and this time you won't shut me out. We'll talk.

///

Warren gave up on knocking on the front door. Bored, he had decided to pay Remy a visit, hoping they could grow a little closer, but Remy wasn't answering the door. Maybe the Cajun had gone out? Figures, the one time that I take the initiative he isn't home.

Warren was about to head for the mansion when he noticed the BMW driving up to the boathouse. Using his sharp vision, he identified Scott behind the steering wheel and Remy in the passenger seat. Warren frowned, seeing the numb and vacant expression on the Cajun's face. His alarms kicked in and he waited for the car to come to a stop. "What's going on?" he asked, as Scott left the car. Damn it, Scott looked pale and worried.

"It's Remy. I need your help, Warren. I have to head back to find some answers and I can't leave Remy here on his own. Can you stay until I get back?" Scott moved to the other side of the car, opened the car door and practically dragged Remy to his feet. The Cajun was still unresponsive, staring into nothingness.

"What's wrong with him?" Warren now understood Scott's concern. The Cajun looked like the walking dead. Acting instinctively, he grabbed Remy's arm and supported the other man. Warren raised a puzzled eyebrow as Scott jumped into the car again. "Aren't you staying?" He panicked briefly at the prospect of taking care of Remy.

"I have to talk to this man... I'll be back as soon as possible." Scott didn't waste any time, kicked the car into gear and drove away from the boathouse. He had to get back to Burger King as quickly as possible. Hopefully, the man would still be there. He wanted some answers.

///

"Okay, let's do this," Warren mumbled absentmindedly. Looking at Remy's blank stare, he recalled that the Cajun had looked this withdrawn after he had absorbed Scott's depression. Remy was completely uncooperative and Warren dragged his dead weight inside. After guiding Remy to the couch, he helped the other man sit down. Remy's eyes were open, but the Cajun didn't notice his presence.

"Hey, Remy, what's going on?" Warren felt at a loss for words. He wasn't good at coaxing people into talking and he had never before tried connecting with the Cajun. Tremors shook Remy's body and the alien eyes closed. Shit... he's shutting me out... what do I do? What caused this?

Prompted into action, Warren collected a blanket from the bedroom and wrapped it around the shivering man. "Remy, what's going on? Talk to me? Scott dropped you off and I have no idea what happened."

Remy heard Warren's words, but chose to ignore the other man. Answering Warren meant leaving this protective cocoon and he still needed to hide from the ugly memories.

"Want to lie down? I can get you a pillow, help you get comfortable." Warren didn't wait for Remy's answer, knowing he probably wouldn't get a reply. "Here, let me help." He assisted Remy in lying down and covered him with a blanket. "Still cold?"

Remy turned his face away from Warren. Tears were about to roll down his face and he didn't want Warren to see him cry. He buried his fingers in the blanket, clawing at it. Please mon Dieu, don' let Hugo know where I live. I can' handle him showin' up on my doorstep.

Warren felt at a lost. Remy wasn't reacting, he was continuing to shut down. "Is there anything I can do? Do you want some hot tea? Coffee?" Come on, you're scaring me. I'm not a telepath, or an empath. I don't know how to reach you. In the end, Warren pulled a comfortable chair close to the couch so he could observe Remy. Should I tell Hank what's happening? Or do I wait until Scott gets back? Yeah, I'll wait for Scott to return.

///

Scott pulled up to the Burger King, parked the car and stalked inside. Within seconds he had located Hugo in the corner of the restaurant and he marched over to the other man. Apparently, Hugo was alone, which suited Scott just fine.

Hugo looked up from the table as Scott came to a halt in front of his table. "Whadda ya want?"

"I want to talk to you, outside." A burning rage was building in the pit of his stomach, seeing the dirty expression in the other man's eyes.

"What makes you think I wanna talk to you?" Hugo cocked his head and smirked. "Or did you bring the boy with you? Still got some unfinished business with that one."

"Outside, now." Scott didn't trust himself to remain calm and didn't want to draw attention to their conversation.

Hugo leaned back and shook his head. "Make me."

"You shouldn't have said that." Scott moved quickly, grabbed Hugo's right arm and twisted it.

Hugo moaned in pain. Scott's action had taken him by surprise. He had never thought the other man would resort to violence. "Okay, you made your point." Reluctantly, he got to his feet and headed for the exit.

Scott maintained his hold on the other man and after he maneuvered them outside, he led Hugo to a secluded area behind the restaurant.

Hugo was still smirking, despite the fact that the hold Scott had on his arm was becoming painful. "Whadda ya want, man?"

"I want to know what that was all about. What did you mean when you said you paid for his ass? And don't lie to me, you won't like the consequences." Scott was deadly serious. He would never willingly harm anyone, but this creep was pushing his buttons. "How do you know Remy?"

Hugo laughed, amused. He didn't know what was going on, but he decided to play along. "I found the street rat fifteen years on Bourbon Street. I paid some good money to fuck him and then he passed out on me... the little shit."

Scott's rage came to a boil and he jerked the other man's arm painfully. "You paid him?"

"Actually, I paid his pimp, Philippe." Hugo grinned, seeing the confusion on Scott's face. "Man, you really don't get it, do you? The boy's a little whore. He had a pretty good reputation for giving head, but I wanted to try his tight little hole. He was still a virgin, at least Philippe assured me he was..."

Unable to control his rage any longer, Scott's fist connected with Hugo's chin. "You bastard..." Scott had quickly done the mathematics. Remy was about twenty-five years old so he had been ten when this pervert had gotten his hands on him.

"Hey, chill out, man," Hugo sneered, enraged that the other man had thrown a punch at him. "The kid was a whore! I paid his pimp to fuck him."

"Did you? Fuck him?" Hugo had said something about Remy passing out, but his brain had trouble registering everything. Grabbing Hugo by his T-shirt, he pulled the other man close. "Did you fuck him?" Scott asked, through clenched teeth.

"The little bastard passed out while I was fucking him... didn't get to finish..." Hugo never ended his sentence. Scott threw a wild punch at him, which sent him flying into the wall, but the grin stayed glued to his face. "What? You jealous, boy? Didn't he let you fuck him? Is that it?"

Disgusted, Scott turned away from Hugo. "Don't ever come close to him again. If I find you're harassing him, you'll answer to me. Leave him alone!"

"You want a piece of his ass... that's it!" Hugo leered, triumphantly.

Scott's hands turned into fists. Get out of here before you kill the son of a bitch. Scott walked over to his car and saw Hugo go back inside. My God, I was ready to bash his ugly face in!

Suddenly, the enormity of what he had learned hit him. It can't have been consensual! A ten year old can't willingly prostitute himself. I can't believe that! This Philippe must have forced him... Shit, didn't Remy mention that name when he was lighting those candles? What if it's true? What if he was prostituting himself at ten? Fuck, I never... Scott banged his fist against the steering wheel. "We never suspected a thing!"

He keyed the ignition and the car left the parking lot with screeching tires.

///

Remy, why are you doing this? You're an empath and a telepath. You're probably receiving my thoughts and yet you keep quiet. What the hell set this off? I thought you were doing okay. Warren had kept a vigil at Remy's side for the last hour and fervently hoped that Scott was coming back shortly. Remy was really scaring him. The Cajun hadn't moved since he had covered the younger man with a blanket. Remy's eyes were closed, but the Cajun's breathing told him that Remy wasn't asleep.

"I'm going to make some tea," Warren announced. "And you're going to drink some as well." You look like death warmed over. When had Remy lost the weight? Gained the dark circles under his eyes? They had participated in a mission a month ago and Remy had seemed okay back then.

Reluctantly, Warren left his chair and moved into the kitchen to boil the water for his tea, but he kept a close eye on the Cajun all the time. Remy was too quiet, too withdrawn and the dam could burst any moment now. Hopefully, Scott would be back in time to deal with the flood of emotions, which Remy was trying to keep locked up inside.

The kettle whistled sharply and Warren noticed how Remy flinched, hearing the penetrating sound. Warren filled their mugs with hot water, added the tea bags and waited a minute before removing them again. He carried the mugs over to the coffee table; this time he was determined to get through to the Cajun.

"Try to drink some tea?" Warren manhandled Remy into a sitting position and smiled privately, seeing the annoyance in the Cajun's eyes. You want me to back off, but I'm not going to do that. I gave up Bets to build this friendship... "Here..." Resolutely, he took hold of Remy's right hand and curled the Cajun's fingers around the mug. "Sip slowly." Remy gave him a dirty look and Warren smiled. Remy was finally acknowledging his presence. "Care to tell me what's going on?"

"Non." Remy's voice sounded clipped and cold. Remy averted his eyes, ignoring Warren the best he could. The other man's worry surprised him, but Worthington was probably only concerned because Scott had entrusted him to Warren. "Don' wanna talk at all. You don' have to stay... go back to de mansion." Hugo's face flashed in his mind and the tea spilled over the rim. "Merde!" The hot tea burned his skin, but he hardly felt the pain.

Warren was more determined than ever to stay until Scott got back. "Here, let me..." He leaned in closer to gather to blanket, hang it out to dry and get Remy a new, dry one, but the Cajun flinched violently when their hands met.

"Don' touch me!" Remy yelled, curling up again. "Jus' don' touch me."

Startled, Warren stared at the frightened Cajun. "Remy, what the hell is going on?" He was about to pressure Remy into talking when the front door opened and Scott stepped inside. Warren released a relieved sigh. Yes, Scott was back and his friend knew how to handle Remy, but seeing the expression on Scott's face, Warren almost reconsidered. Scott was pale and his hands were tightly clenched fists. Shit, this is bad.

Scott forced himself to remain calm. "Warren, thanks for looking after him. Could you leave us now? I really need to talk to Remy."

Warren nodded his head. The tension in the room was getting to him. "Sure, just let me know if you need anything." He quickly covered the distance to the door and slipped past Scott.

Remy involuntarily held his breath, sensing Scott's anger. Did he figure it out? Why did he leave 'gain after droppin' me off?

Scott sat down in the now vacant chair and studied Remy's eyes. They were numb, had lost their glow, the mischievous sparkle was completely gone. When had he seen it last? "I went back to Burger King," he started. "I talked to him."

"You talked to Hugo?" In spite of his panic, Remy managed the question. Merde, he knows! The tremors grew worse and he clutched the blanket, no longer noticing the wet spot.

"Hugo? So that's the bastard's name?"

Remy flinched. He had never heard Scott use the word bastard before.

Scott drew in a deep breath, hating to tell Remy he knew about his time on Bourbon Street. "He told me you were a prostitute."

A giant lump had formed in his throat, making it nearly impossible for him to speak and his breath came in short spurts. Mon Dieu, can' start hyperventilatin' 'gain... Breathing rapidly, he tried to stay in control of his feelings, but fear and panic overwhelmed him.

"Here." Scott had retrieved a plastic bag from the kitchen and placed it over Remy's lips and nose. "Try to slow down. Take nice, slow breaths." Remy's reaction didn't surprise him. So it's true...

Remy needed a few minutes to calm down. Putting the plastic bag down, he lowered his eyes, avoiding Scott's. This was one conversation he didn't want to have, but Scott deserved the truth. He knows anyway!

"Remy?" Scott had taken his seat again and tried to capture Remy's glance. He failed. The Cajun was determined not to look at him. "Why don't you tell me what this is about?"

Remy closed his eyes. His voice was monotone and emotionless when he started talking. "Was nine when I ended up on de streets. Didn' have any money or a home. Didn' have any friends. Philippe took me in and I sucked off his customers, earnin' my keep. Stayed on de streets for a few months... Den Hugo happened. He raped me... When I regained consciousness, Philippe was dying. After he died, I left our room, determined to score some crack... mais I ran into poppa and he took me in. He saved my life." Emotionally exhausted, Remy felt numb. Scott was going to leave any moment now and he would be alone again.

Scott's fingernails dug into the armrest of the chair. I can't believe this... he was nine when this Philippe forced him to perform sexual favors? And this Philippe let Hugo rape Remy? Shaking his head, he tried to find the right words to say. "I'm sorry," he whispered eventually.

"Sorry?" Surprised, Remy finally looked at Scott. "Sorry? Why are you sorry?"

"I'm sorry those horrible things happened to you when you were a kid. I'm sorry that Hugo turned up at Burger King. You suffered some flash backs right there and then, didn't you?" He didn't need to see Remy nod his head; he already knew he was right. Damn it, Remy... you went through all this and we never suspected it... Shit, Hugo raped him!

"Cyke?" Worried, Remy sought out Scott's eyes, but as usual they were hidden behind his ruby glasses. Scott's mind was a swamp of emotions, dragging him down. Feeling Scott's anger, he assumed it was aimed at him. He had overstayed his welcome and should pack his things. Scott wouldn't want a whore around! The other man was probably trying to think of a way to tell him to leave the mansion ASAP.

"Am gonna pack my stuff now." Remy wanted to throw off the blanket, but he lacked the strength to move his arms. Get movin', LeBeau. He doesn' want you here, not after findin' out what you really are. Dere's no place wit' de X-Men for whores!

"Remy?" Scott finally met the Cajun's gaze. Some of Remy's thoughts were slipping into his mind and alarmed, he reached out and wrapped his fingers around Remy's wrist. "What? You think I no longer want you around because... because those perverts couldn't keep their hands off a defenseless child? Is that it? Do you really think I'd sink that low?" The fact that Remy had such little faith in him hurt.

Remy was at a loss for words and simply stared at Scott's hand, resting on his wrist. Don' touch, don' touch, don' touch...

Scott jerked back as if burned when Remy's cries drifted into his mind. He let go of Remy's wrist immediately and watched the younger man curl up on the couch.

Don' touch, don' touch, don' touch... Don' touch, don' touch, don' touch...

The soft pleading in his mind continued and Scott rubbed his temples. Feeling helpless, he wanted to reach out and assure Remy by touch, but the Cajun's reaction had told him he didn't want to be touched. What do I do now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 2

Catharsis

Don' touch, don' touch, don' touch... Curled up, Remy pulled the blanket up to his chin, barely suppressing the urge to hide his face as well. The thought that Hugo was still out there scared the hell out of him. He felt nine years old again, and at Hugo's mercy.

"Remy? Why don't you tell me what to do?" Remy had made it through this painful process before so Scott had made it his priority to find out how! It would tell him how to make Remy feel safe. "Remy, did you hear me?"

Remy bit his bottom lip, trying hard not to react, but he couldn't lock Scott out completely. Ignoring Warren had been a lot easier. Please go 'way... don' want you to see me like dis... But he stopped himself from broadcasting those thoughts; secretly, he didn't want Scott to leave. Don' wanna be 'lone. What if Hugo finds me?

Scott left his chair and sat on his heels in front of the couch, looking at Remy's back. The Cajun's body still shook with tiny tremors and his hand remained poised in mid-air, uncertain if Remy would allow the touch. "Could you turn around, Remy? I would really like to see your face when I'm talking to you."

Remy swallowed hard. Why couldn't Scott just leave him alone? Against his better judgment, he rolled onto his other side, but he kept his eyes shut, still refusing to make eye contact.

"Remy?" Scott was going to do this in tiny steps. "Open your eyes and look at me?"

Remy didn't want to obey, but his eyes flashed open anyway. Feeling numb, he stared at Scott's ruby glasses. Wish I could see his eyes...

"Tell me what to do, Remy. Only you know what you need. Tell me how to help." Scott hoped this tactic would work. If only he could lure Remy into talking to him! Slowly, making sure Remy could see his every move, he placed his hand on Remy's, where it was still clawing at the blanket. "Just tell me what will make you feel comfortable."

Mon Dieu, I hate bein' dis way, dis pat'etic. I don' want him to see me dis way. Merde I don' want to feel like dis. Don' wanna feel 'lone and scared... Remy shivered, hearing Scott's words. The only one who had been able to make him feel safe and relaxed was Jean-Luc LeBeau and that was only because the Patriarch of the Thieves' Guild loved him unconditionally. And mebbe he hung in dere 'caus he felt guilty for stealin' me from de hospital.

What if I tell him and he heads back for de mansion tomorrow, leavin' me 'lone 'gain. Can I take dat risk? Scott was still assuring him that he wanted to help, that he was waiting for Remy to tell him what to do.

"Remy, please don't shut me out." Scott was growing desperate now that Remy wasn't reacting. "Is it because I moved back to the mansion?" Remy flinched. Yes, that's it. "Give me a second chance, Remy?"

A second chance? Why should you get one when life didn' give me anot'er chance? Staring at Scott, he trembled; the other man's concern washed over him. He's really worried... I never knew he cared dis much 'bout me... Who am I to deny him a second chance?

"Remy?" Scott didn't know how to interpret the changing expression in Remy's eyes.

"Wha’ ya want to know?" His voice sounded raw, and Remy cleared his throat, trying to regain a hold on his feelings.

"How did you deal with this the first time? You were only a child back then..." Scott sat down on the floor and gently squeezed Remy's hand. It felt weird, comforting another man, but six months ago Remy had reached out to him and the Cajun had looked after him. He could do the same thing for Remy, even if it made him slightly uncomfortable. He had never before been this emotionally close to another man and he hoped he wasn't going to commit any major mistakes. "How did you do it?"

"I didn' do a t'ing," Remy whispered, emotionally. "Poppa made it alright 'gain."

"Poppa?"

"Jean-Luc... he... I don' know how he did it. He didn' lemme shut him out..." He touched me... kindly, and wit' no hidden agenda. It was his gentleness, his concern dat made me crawl back from dat bottomless pit I had buried myself in. Mais Scott, you can' do dat... You won' touch a whore... I know you won'.

Scott flinched violently, receiving Remy's thoughts. He didn't know if Remy had sent them intentionally or accidentally, but they did tell him what Remy really thought of him. "Remy, is that it? Do you want me to..."

"Hold me..." Remy finished for him, realizing Scott had picked up on his thoughts. Merde! He had thought that his shields were strong enough to keep his thoughts and emotions from leaking out!

Hold him? Didn't expect that one! Feeling awkward and uncertain, Scott raised his arm and rested it on Remy's shoulder. "If you want me to hold you we'd better take this upstairs. We won't fit on the couch." A startled expression appeared in Remy's eyes and he had a pretty good idea what was going on. "Come on, Remy, you know me! I won't touch you against your will. Have some faith in me, Remy. Please, trust me. I only want to help."

Sorry... know you only wanna help, I really do, mais... seein' Hugo and hearin' his voice brought everyt'in' back. Remy allowed Scott to help him sit upright. Am tired... he admitted. He even felt too tired to talk.

"Then let me do the work," Scott offered, supporting Remy as they climbed the stairs. He briefly hesitated before entering Remy's bedroom, afraid that memories of his time spent here with Jean would overwhelm him, but they didn't, and he continued to lead Remy to the bed. "Do you want to change into your sweats? Can't be comfortable, sleeping in those jeans."

Remy nodded his head. "Could... could you turn 'round?" He desperately wanted to slip into his sweats, but shivered at the thought of Scott watching, or even worse, assisting him. He wasn't a baby and he didn't want Scott watching every move he made. Mais you have to admit, he's actin' a bit like poppa used to... hoverin' all 'bout you...

Scott couldn't hide his smile. "Got a pair of sweats for me as well? I'll change my clothes in the bathroom and then you don't have to worry about me peeking at you." He hoped his smile would assure Remy that he was merely teasing him.

Fortunately, Remy picked up on the teasing and he gave Scott a weak smile in return. He opened the closet, gathered the sweats and handed them to Scott. "Hope dey fit."

"I'm sure they'll do just fine." Scott took the sweats and walked into the bathroom. He left the door ajar, unsure whether Remy had to know that he was still there and hadn't left.

Remy used the time to slip out of his jeans and shirt and into the sweats. He flinched when Scott entered the bedroom again. For one moment he had been back at Burger King again, seeing Hugo standing in front of him. Merde, I'm gonna have nightmares 'gain and it ain' fair to keep Scott up all night. He needs sleep too. "Mebbe you should sleep in de ot'er bedroom or go back to de mansion? I'll be tossin' and turnin' all night long."

Taking the initiative, Scott walked over to the bed and pushed down the covers. "Let's try to get some sleep, Remy." He lay down, and watched Remy fight his inner battle. "We slept peacefully that month while we shared a bed. Come on, Remy, let's try again."

Mechanically, Remy walked over to the bed, sat down on the side and stared at the wall. "Dis ain' right..."

"Why's that?"

"Don' know... jus' feels wrong." Confused, Remy lay down as well. His body felt heavy and his eyelids were closing. Facing away from Scott, Remy curled up on his side.

So this is how you're going to play it? Damn it, Remy, this won't work and we both know it. Even though you're only inches away from me, you're still shutting me out. Scott pulled the comforter over their bodies and tucked it around their forms. They would be a lot more comfortable if Remy moved closer... or he could move closer. But he didn't want to impose himself, uncertain how Remy would react to being pulled close to another body. It might trigger his flashbacks again... Resigned, Scott stared at Remy's back, then reached to switch off the lamp on the nightstand.

"What are you doin'?" Frantically, Remy rolled onto his other side.

The panic in Remy's eyes took Scott aback. "Hey, it's okay. I'm only killing the light."

"Don'! Please leave it on," Remy said pleadingly. "Don' wanna go to sleep in de dark..."

"Okay, then, the light stays on." Scott stared at Remy from behind his ruby glasses. The Cajun's eyes were drooping shut again, but Remy was still fighting his exhaustion. "You can close your eyes and go to sleep, Remy. I'll still be here in the morning."

"Promise?" Remy whispered in a timid tone.

"Yeah, I promise," Scott assured him. "Now try to relax... think of something nice... think of Jean-Luc... and go to sleep. I'll watch over you tonight"

"Sounds... nice," Remy mumbled, already half sleep.

Scott smiled and tucked the blanket back around Remy's form. I forgot how nice it felt to have company at night... Oh, Jean, I miss you so much, but Remy... stop thinking that! She's only been dead for seven months! You can't be thinking this, but it's true... I do like Remy. I like him a lot... no, this can't happen. I can't betray Jean like that. I'm not attracted to Remy... I'm not!

Closing his eyes, he tried to ignore the warm body close to him. He thought of Jean, the few times she hadn't been feeling well and he had loved taking care of her; it made him feel loved and useful. Now that Remy didn't feel well, he enjoyed taking care of the Cajun, feeling warm inside now that the other man needed him and wanted him close.

I won't go there again, Jean. I promise. I know you gave me your blessing to love again, but it's just too soon and this is Remy we're talking about. He doesn't want a man as his lover, not after what he has been through on the streets and with Hugo. Stop thinking about it. I love Jean and I'm not attracted to Remy. I'm not!

///

Scott woke up because Remy was trying to leave the bed. "What are you doing, Remy?" He kept his voice soft and tender, making sure he didn't startle the Cajun.

Remy flinched, not because of Scott's tone, but because he had woken the other man. "C'est bien, Scott. I'm only t'irsty, need somet'in' to drink. Won' do anyt'in' stupid." Feeling shy and somewhat embarrassed, he had to admit that he didn't want to leave the bed. Scott's presence had ensured his first undisturbed sleep in months. Even Hugo's ugly visage hadn't haunted him.

"Stay in bed, Remy." Scott pushed back the comforter and got to his feet. "Lie down, come on, Remy."

Uncertain what was going on, Remy obeyed. He didn't really have the strength to verbally fight over this with Scott. The other man covered him with the still warm comforter and Scott walked over to his side of the bed. What were Scott's plans?

"What would you like? Water? Tea? Warm milk?" Scott frowned, seeing Remy's surprised look. "What?"

"You wanna get me somet'in' to drink? Mais Scott, I can do dat myself! You don' have to get up and..." He didn't get a chance to finish.

"It's okay, Remy. I'll get you something to drink. I don't mind. Just stay in bed and keep warm? I'll be back in a few minutes. Now what do you want to drink?"

"You really don' mind?" Remy had trouble keeping the surprise out of his voice. "Don' wanna be a burden."

"You're not a burden," Scott assured him. "Now tell me what you want me to get."

"Warm milk?" Remy said hesitantly. "Mais if dat's too much work, bottled water will do jus’ as well." Why? Why was Scott doing this for him? He just didn't understand why Scott went to all this trouble.

"Warm milk it is," Scott said cheerfully, completely awake now. "Anything else you need?"

"Non." Remy shook his head and watched Scott leave the room. What was happening? Why was Scott this concerned? Should he ask Scott those questions or keep quiet instead?

///

Scott actually smiled while warming the milk. When he had found Remy leaving the bed he had instinctively offered his services. The dark circles under the Cajun's eyes were proof of how little sleep Remy had gotten lately and he wanted the other man to rest.

After pouring the warm milk into a mug, he switched off the lights and went upstairs again, wondering if Remy was still awake. Now he felt grateful that the light on the nightstand was still on, though he would have seen the glowing red eyes in the dark as well. "Here's your milk. You should sit up, Remy."

Remy pushed himself into a sitting position and curled his fingers around the warm mug. He waited until Scott was back in bed before firing his question at the other man. "Why? Why are you doin' dis? You don' need to take care of me."

Scott smiled saddened. "Drink your milk, Remy."

"You still didn' answer my question," Remy said stubbornly after sipping cautiously at the warm milk.

"I like doing this for you... it was like that with Jean as well." Inwardly debating whether to continue or not, he watched Remy's eyes widen. "She didn't get sick very often, but when she did I loved taking care of her, fetching her drinks, rubbing her back, things like that."

Remy stared into his milk. Mais I ain' Jean... dis doesn' explain why you're takin' care of me. Merde, did I jus' broadcast dat? Worried, he looked at Scott.

"Yeah, you did and you're right. It doesn't really explain it, does it?" Scott carefully selected his next words. "But I consider you a good friend. You saw me through a very rough time right after Jean died and it makes me feel good to do the same for you in return."

Remy suddenly smiled weakly. So you're one of dose people who like givin’ instead of receivin'? Where did dat one come from?

"Yeah, I guess I am. Now shut up and drink your milk. It's only three in the morning and I want us to get some more sleep."

"Don' tell me you scheduled a trainin' session in de mornin'," Remy complained. "I won' make it on time for dat one."

"No, no training session, but I want you to talk to the professor and Hank in the morning. I don't know how to help you and..." Scott stopped as Remy suddenly grew pale. The Cajun's hands shook and the milk almost sloshed over the rim.

"I ain' talkin' to Hank! Don' want anyone else to know and you won' tell dem!" It was bad enough that Charles knew. In his confused state, he had almost forgotten that he had told the professor about his past seven months ago while the team had been away on a mission.

Remy was shaking and Scott wondered if it was due to fear or anger. "Hey, I won't tell them without your permission. I just thought they could help you!"

"Don' need anyone’s help!" Remy stared at the milk, feeling angry and hurt. Scott wasn't in this for the long haul. Tomorrow, Scott would dump him at Hank’s doorstep!

Confused, Scott tried to make sense of Remy's reaction. Jean had once told him that all negative emotions originated from fear, so... "What are you afraid of, Remy?"

"I ain' 'fraid." But he was; afraid that he would end up alone again.

Scott suddenly realized what might be going on in Remy's head. "I'll be with you every step of the way, like you saw me through."

Remy firmly shook his head. "Non, you won'."

Scott frowned. "Remy..."

"Jus' stop it, Cyke." Remy placed the nearly empty mug on the nightstand with a loud bang and lay down again, hogging the comforter. His back turned to Scott, he was grateful that the other man couldn't see his watering eyes. "Go back to sleep, Cyke."

Scott's frown deepened. What the hell had just happened? "Remy...?"

"I ain' talkin' no more, Cyke." Remy closed his eyes, pressed his lips tightly shut and pretended he was back at home in New Orleans. Searching his memory, he recalled an old lullaby Mattie used to hum and he forced himself to fall asleep while listening to it.

Now that went smoothly, Scott thought sarcastically. Just when I thought I was finally getting through to him, he shuts down again. What freaked him out? So the professor and Hank are not options... I have to come up with a solution myself...

Scott stared at Remy's back and fought down the urge to pull the Cajun into his arms. Unable to sleep, he tried to come up with a way to help Remy conquer his demons.

///

"Non! Don'! Get your hands off of me! Poppa, he's back, Hugo, Philippe, de Antiquary, dey're back!" Remy was screaming and thrashing in the bed, striking at non-existent enemies.

Scott woke at Remy's screams and promptly received a punch in his stomach, followed by a kick to his shins. Remy was desperately trying to push him out of bed, out of his personal space. The thing that really scared Scott was that Remy's eyes were open, but staring blindly at the wall.

"Remy, listen to my voice. It's me, Scott and you're at the boathouse." He had left the bed and was watching Remy struggle with his imaginary tormentors. "Remy!"

He hadn't meant to yell at him, but it was the only way to draw the Cajun's attention. Suddenly, Remy went still. No longer struggling, his eyes came alive and fixed on him.

"Yeah, that's better. Remy, you had a nightmare... calm down, okay?" Scott maintained his distance, not climbing back into bed yet. He was now on his heels in front of Remy, careful not to touch the other man. "Are you okay again? Remember me? Remember the boathouse?"

Remy's brow grew knitted. "A nightmare, oui, it was a nightmare..." Panting softly, he tried to compose himself. "Kicked you out de bed, non?" Too shy to make eye contact, he closed them, recalling his nightmare. It had been awful. Philippe, Hugo and the Antiquary had grabbed him, pushing him down and he had known what would happen next, but then Scott's voice had pulled him back. "Sorry... did I hurt you?"

"Just my pride," Scott teased; he would sport some bruises later. He checked the time; it was seven in the morning. "Do you want to go back to sleep?" Remy firmly shook his head. "I guess that's a no. Why don't you take a long, hot shower and I'll prepare breakfast in the meantime? We can talk things over while eating breakfast." He still had some questions left. Remy had told him about Hugo and Philippe but who was the Antiquary?

Remy considered Scott's suggestion. He's right. I'm ripe... could use a shower. "Bien," he said eventually, slowly getting up. He was somewhat unsteady on his feet, still dizzy from the nightmare, but he managed to walk into the bathroom unaided. After turning on the shower, he took off his clothes and stepped beneath the warm spray. Mon Dieu, it's happenin' 'gain... de nightmares are back... after all dese years!

///

Remy put on some clean sweat pants and slipped into a long sleeved shirt. After putting on socks, he hesitantly descended the stairs. He heard Scott puttering in the kitchen, making breakfast. His stomach contracted, making it clear that food wasn't an option right now. Maybe he would manage to keep some orange juice down.

Scott looked up from making bacon and eggs when Remy hesitantly entered the kitchen. The Cajun's eyes remained fixed on the floor and after sitting down at the kitchen table, Remy remained quiet. "I hope you're hungry."

"Non, not really. Feel queasy." Remy cringed, finding that Scott had made bacon and eggs, toast, waffles and he had even managed to find cornflakes in one of the cupboards.

"Here, try to eat something." Scott placed a waffle on Remy's plate and poured the Cajun some orange juice. "You can have some coffee later, vitamins come first."

Remy played with his waffle, tearing off very small pieces and putting them reluctantly in his mouth. He had a hard time swallowing them and washed them down with orange juice. "Why are you still here, Scott?"

Scott had expected that question. Last night, Remy had already mentioned being surprised that he was fussing over the Cajun. "I'm here because I care, Remy."

Remy shrugged his shoulders once. "Dey need you at de mansion."

"I already called Warren and told him I'd be staying at the boathouse for a few days. He sounded worried and asked how you were doing." It was the truth. Warren had sounded concerned when they had talked earlier.

"Why would he care?" Remy shoved his plate away and nursed his orange juice.

"Warren's been trying and when you're honest with yourself, you have to admit he's been doing his best. Betsy and Warren even fought over you, do you know that?"

Remy's eyes suddenly glowed. "Fought?"

"Warren called it quits. They were fighting because he'd decided to give you another chance and Betsy was against it. Luckily Warren finally got his priorities straight. He's spending a lot of time with Bobby and Hank these days. You didn't know that?"

"Non," Remy whispered surprised. Mebbe Warren cares after all? Why is it so hard to believe dat? Mebbe 'cause he never tried to get 'long all dese years? "I'm sorry he and Betsy are no longer toget'er."

"Don't be," Scott said reassuringly, prodding Remy to eat more. "I think it's for the best, at least I hope so. I never really liked Betsy and Jean didn't like her that much either."

Remy suddenly realized his chance to change the topic of their conversation. It would take the focus away from him. "How are you doin', Scott? Wit'out Jean?"

Pain flared inside Scott's heart. "I still miss her every day." He understood Remy's tactic, might have used it himself when feeling cornered, and was determined not to let the Cajun get away with it. "But we were talking about you, not me."

Merde, he knows what I'm doin'! Remy finally finished his waffle, but his stomach was still rebelling against the forced food intake.

"Remy, can I ask you something personal?" Scott watched Remy carefully while pouring them some coffee. He added sugar and milk to Remy's mug. No way would he let Remy drink it black and ruin his stomach. "Here." He handed Remy the mug and caught the cautious look the other man gave him.

"Whadda you wanna know?" Remy sipped his coffee, finally feeling human again as the caffeine did its job. His stomach oddly enough settled down and he allowed a weak smile to break through.

"Who's the Antiqua..." Scott stopped talking, seeing Remy's eyes darken.

"How do you know 'bout him?" He was sure he hadn’t mentioned anything about the old leech. Scott couldn't know about the Antiquary! Panicking, he looked at the front door, relieved that he had a way out if he decided to make a run for it.

"You screamed his name when you were having that nightmare. You also mentioned Hugo and Philippe and I know about them, but who's the Antiquary?"

Remy averted his eyes. "Someone from my past."

"Remy, did he... did he hurt you like Hugo did?" Scott bit his lip. He was treading on dangerous ground, but he had to know the truth if he wanted to help Remy. Please, don't let him say yes. How many people hurt him in the past? Just how many people abused him? And I never knew... some great team leader I am!

Remy sensed Scott's discomfort and anger and assumed he was the cause of it. Finding out just many times he had been abused must disgust Scott. Why was the other man still hanging in there?

"Remy? Did this Antiquary... abuse you?" Scott held his breath while Remy seemed to decide on an answer.

"Not physically," Remy admitted in the end. "He was a mutant, a telepat' who fed off ot'ers to stay 'live... I would feel him enter my mind and take what he needed." His hands rested idly in his lap. Why had he told Scott? "Pretty pat'etic, non? Can' even take care of myself."

"How old were you when this happened?" Scott's hand itched to cover Remy's, but he wasn't sure the Cajun would welcome the touch.

Remy laughed, bitterly. "I spent de first nine years of my life at de Velvet Ministry. Dat's what he called us... his collection of mutant chil'ren."

Scott managed to hide his shock. "So for the first nine years this Antiquary fed off of you and then you...?"

"I escaped... and ended up on de streets of N'Arlings. Had to stay 'live and Philippe showed me how to earn some money. I never let dem fuck me, mais Philippe needed money to buy dope and..."

"That's when Hugo entered the picture."

"Oui, Philippe had shot me up first and I came to when Hugo was 'ready in de room. I didn' stand a chance... I passed out and when I woke up Philippe was dying. Left de room in search of dope... wanted to lose myself in de drugs, mais den I ran into Jean-Luc LeBeau. He took me in, adopted me... helped me heal." This emotional bloodletting was taking its toll. He felt weak and worthless now that his past had caught up with him.

A lump had formed in Scott's throat and he cleared it, trying to hide his shock. Remy's childhood had been miserable. "And you never expected to ever run into Hugo again."

"I never t'ought it could happen." Remy stared into his now empty mug. Suddenly, he lifted his eyes. "Promise me you won' tell anyone."

"Remy..."

"Non! Dey 'ready don' t'ink much of me! Knowing that I was... a whore, dey would lose de li'l respect dey have for me. You can' tell anyone. Promise me!" Panicking, his fingernails clawed the wooden table. "Promise me!"

"I promise," Scott said, acting on instinct and already regretting making that promise. "But I still think you're making a mistake. The others could help you deal with this."

"I've been dealin' wit' it for years," Remy said, embittered. "And I'll be dealin' wit' it for de rest of my life." Even though the professor knew about his past, he didn't feel comfortable turning to Charles for help.

"It doesn't have to be that way," Scott said, firmly. "Will you at least let me help you?"

"How? How can you help me?" Remy looked at Scott, pleadingly.

"I've got an idea," Scott whispered, still working out the details in his head. "I need to make a phone call... and no, I won't tell them what's going on," he added quickly to reassure Remy.

Remy's shoulders slumped forward. "It ain' like I can stop you..."

"Stay here, okay? I'll make that phone call and I'll be back in a few minutes." Scott waited for Remy to nod his head and then moved to the living room, picking up his cell phone.

Remy listened closely, afraid Scott would break his word.

"Yes, Bobby, it's me... Remy's doing better... why I'm calling? I need the Danger Room at my exposal tonight... let's say from ten to midnight. Can you make sure no one's around at that time...? Yes, you can? That's great... Yeah, I'll keep you informed. Thanks, Bobby."

"De Danger Room?" Remy slowly walked over to the couch and then collapsed on it. He monitored every move Scott made.

"Yes, the Danger Room." Scott sat down opposite Remy and kept the other man's gaze prisoner. "I need to adjust the program..."

"In what way?" Remy frowned, shivered and pulled up his knees to his chin. Curled up like that, he tried to fight an impending sense of doom.

"I know what Hugo looks like... of all the people you mentioned last night, he scares you the most, doesn't he?"

"Oui," Remy whispered, wondering what Scott was up to.

"I want to create a hologram that resembles Hugo..."

"Non!" Remy leapt to his feet and was about to flee the room when Scott grabbed his arm. He froze, staring at the fingers curled around his arm. He forced himself to look at Scott in order to drive away Hugo's face. It's only Scott, not Hugo...

"You have to face your fears, Remy, or you'll continue to run for the rest of your life and you have been running for a long time, haven't you?"

"Oui," Remy admitted. "But I can' face him... not even a hologram."

"Remy..." Scott moved closer and rested his hands on Remy's shoulders. "You have to realize that you're no longer a frightened nine year old who has no means of defense. You're a grown man now and that bo staff of yours can easily split his head open."

"Don' do dis to me..." Tears gathered in his eyes. "Don', please..." Scott was right; he still felt like a little boy, scared and defenseless. That was why he had run at Burger King.

"Remy, you have to face your demons... Running away only makes you miserable. Let's do this together, yes? You don't have to do this on your own... let me help." Scott suddenly found that he had taken hold of Remy's right hand and he was rubbing the knuckles soothingly. Remy didn't seem to notice the caress. Not wanting to draw attention to the gesture, he rubbed Remy's fingers once more and then released them. "What do you say? Are we going to do this? Together?"

"I'm scared..." Remy confessed. He had spent his life hiding and running away from his personal demons and now Scott wanted him to face them? "Can' do it on my own..."

"You don't have to," Scott said warmly and smiled. "We'll do it together."

///

Later that day, they left for the mansion and ran into Bobby who was keeping an eye on the Danger Room, as he had promised.

Bobby grinned at Scott, but his smile faded as he looked at Remy, who was slouching and staring at the floor. "Hey, Remy, are you okay? You look like hell."

"He's always honest," Scott commented, while shaking his head at Bobby's blunt remark. Remy didn't react and Scott sighed. "I trust no one's inside?"

"I told them the Danger Room was shut down due for maintenance and they didn't mind, glad to have the evening to themselves. Most have left the mansion. Only Warren stayed behind..."

"Thanks, Bobby," Scott said, sincerely. "Leave us alone and make sure Warren stays where he is?"

"Sure, we planned on playing some poker. I'll keep him occupied." Bobby hesitated briefly, then pushed on. "What are you going to do? Remy doesn't look like he's in any shape to make it through a training session."

"We're not going to load a training program," Scott reassured him. "Trust me, Bobby. Everything will be just fine in the end. I'll see to that."

Remy looked up, hearing those words. Why wasn't Scott giving up? Why pressure him into doing this? He had tried looking his demons in the eye, but it had been such a painful experience that he had never tried again.

"Sure, Slim." Bobby tried to make eye contact with Remy, but the Cajun stared in the opposite direction. Bobby sighed and whispered, "You know where to find me if you need help."

"Yes, I do," Scott quickly reassured him and he watched Bobby leave the area. "Come on, Remy, let's do this." Looking at the Cajun, he found that Remy was trembling. His face was deathly pale and Remy's hands had turned into fists, his fingernails biting into the soft flesh of his palm. Instinctively, Scott reached out and claimed Remy's right hand. He expected the Cajun to jerk away, but Remy allowed it, even tightened the hold a little.

"I don' wanna do dis," Remy murmured, upset. The idea of facing Hugo knotted his stomach and he felt like he was going to throw up at any moment now.

"I'll be with you, remember?" Scott led Remy inside and closed the door behind him. As promised, the Danger Room was empty. "Stay here, I have to program the computer." The expression in Remy's eyes worried him. "Remy, don't give up. We'll manage."

Remy slowly nodded his head. I trust you, Scott, dat ain' it, mais... I can' face Hugo...

Scott released Remy's hand, went into the control room and adjusted the program. He waited for the new program to come online and then left the control room to join Remy. "The hologram will come online in a few minutes..." He didn't want to startle Remy and wanted to prepare the other man for the shock. "What are you feeling right now?"

"Fear... I'm scared... his face haunted me so long... no way it'll stop hauntin' me after dis. I appreciate what you're doin', mais it won' work...I'm 'ready runnin' 'way... mentally." Cold sweat erupted from his pores and Remy barely suppressed the urge to run for the exit. "Please don' do dis..."

A light flickered and the hologram appeared. "Too late," Scott whispered. Suddenly Remy's scream echoed through the Danger Room and he reclaimed the Cajun's hand. "Shhh... everything will be all right." Remy had closed his eyes to keep the hologram out, but..." Open your eyes, Remy. Trust me. It's just a hologram and I'll stay... I won't leave you."

Remy shook violently. Opening his eyes, he flinched away from the hologram. Mon Dieu, it really resembled Hugo! Scott's memory was uncanny and the other man had remembered all the details. "Stop it... please make him go 'way..." Frozen, he stared at the hologram and suddenly... "Non!"

"What is it, Remy, tell me!" Scott captured the fleeing Cajun in a hug. "Tell me..."

"I'm back in de room... he's dere and... it hurts... can' fight him off. Philippe?" Remy's unseeing eyes looked about, searching for his dead friend. "Philippe, it hurts... make him stop... am bleedin'..." Remy collapsed on his knees and Scott went down with him. "Don' want him to fuck me, please make it stop, make it stop!"

Scott held him close and rubbed his back soothingly. "Remy, look at me?" It took him several minutes of coaxing to make Remy look at him. "Yeah, that's it, look at me..." Remy's violent reaction had taken him aback and he chided himself; he should have known Remy would suffer flashbacks. "You trust me, don't you, Remy?"

"Oui... mais make him go 'way, please?" Pleadingly, Remy looked up. "Can' do dis..."

"Yes, you can." Scott supported Remy as they got back to their feet. "I want you to turn around and look at him."

"Non! Don' make me do dat!" Remy struggled against Scott's hold, but found that the other man wasn't letting him go. "Please, Scott... please."

"We're going to turn around and you're going to look at him. Remy, I'm here. I'm holding you. It's only a hologram... it can't hurt you."

"Mais I remember him hurtin' me!" Remy yelled, feeling helpless and out of control.

"You were a nine year old boy back then. You're not a child anymore. You have to face him and realize he can't hurt you anymore. Let's turn around... slowly." Scott pulled Remy along until they stood in front of Hugo. Remy's eyes were glued to the hologram; his body tensed, then went limp. "You're doing great, Remy..."

Shivers ran down his spine, looking into Hugo's eyes and Remy wished Scott would let go of him, but the other man had a tight hold on him. Feeling like he was nine years old again, he relived the pain Hugo had inflicted when the bastard had pushed inside. "W-w-anna l-leave..." he stuttered.

"Remy, what do you feel?"

"Fear..."

"What about anger?" Scott hoped he could pull this off. He was no psychologist, didn't know a thing about helping survivors, but he was doing his best, acting on pure instinct.

"Anger?" Remy cocked his head. He had been afraid for so long that he had never questioned his feelings, but now he realized he was feeling more than fear... "Oui, I'm angry." This bastard had taken his virginity, had raped him when he had been only nine years old, had contributed to ruining his life and rendering him incapable of trusting people.

"Talk to me..." Scott encouraged.

"I never knew it would hurt dat much... I had seen Philippe gettin' fucked by his johns, mais it hurt so bad..."

Scott was increasingly having trouble controlling his own rage, hearing Remy's admission. "I'm sorry that happened to you..."

Remy tilted his head, as if listening to words only he could understand. "I'm angry... he hurt me so bad... de li'l boy is angry... he's kickin' and screamin'..."

"Why don't you let it out, Remy? Why don't you let go of that anger and hurt?" Scott held his breath, knowing they had reached a crucial point. From Remy's pockets he removed the bo staff, extended it and placed it in Remy's hand. "Don't fight the anger, Remy..."

Suddenly Remy moved away from him and he allowed it. Smiling contently, he watched Remy aim his bo staff at the hologram. The staff descended and if Hugo had been real, his skull would have split like a ripe melon. "Yes, that's it," he encouraged Remy. "Let it out."

The hologram took the beating Remy delivered and in the end, Scott's voice terminated the program. The hologram flickered and then disappeared. Remy was panting hard. His eyes glowed with a frightening intensity and Scott kept his distance. "Remy, can you hear me? Remy?"

"I've been 'fraid of him for all dese years..." Remy sobbed as he dropped his bo staff. Going down onto his knees, he wrapped his arms around his waist and rocked hard. "I never realized I could fight him off... 'ways felt like a chile when I saw his face in my nightmares."

Scott, realizing how emotionally exhausted Remy was, sat on his heels beside the Cajun and slowly folded an arm around the other man's waist. "How do you feel now?"

"Betta!" Remy shook his head in disbelief. "I feel betta! Don' know why, mais..." Slumping forward, he landed in Scott's arm. "sfunny..."

"What is?" Scott reacted at once and dragged Remy to his feet, grabbing the bo staff as he rose. You're never going to make it back to the boathouse... I'll take you to your room instead. Supporting Remy, he guided the Cajun into the corridor and then he headed for Remy's room. "What's funny?"

"Never t'ought I could do 'way wit' de fear, mais I did... don' feel 'fraid anymore..."

"Just pleasantly tired, I guess."

"Oui." Remy actually smiled. "Was a bon ideé..." Now that the emotional storm had past, he grew more aware of his surroundings. "Where are we goin'?"

"Your room," Scott informed him. Reaching the door to Remy's room, he opened it and led Remy to the bed. "Sit down before you keel over."

Bonelessly, Remy collapsed on his bed and curled up in a tight ball. "My bed... missed my bed... poppa gave it to me..."

Scott smiled, pushing back the covers. He briefly considered undressing Remy, but decided against it. Remy was doing well and he didn't want to risk a bad flashback, so he manhandled Remy until he was in the center of the bed. Just as he was about to tuck the Cajun in, Remy reached for him and got hold of his shirt.

"You're stayin'..." Sleepily, Remy pulled Scott closer until the other man was forced to lie down beside him.

"Okay, you win," Scott teased, relieved that his plan had worked. He pulled up the comforter, tucked them in and stared at the sleeping man beside him. Remy lay facing him, curled up in fetal position and holding his hand, clutching it close to his chest.

No, I'm not attracted to him... It's only been seven months... I can't have these thoughts... these feelings. Determined to fight this attraction, Scott froze as Remy moved closer. The Cajun's head now rested against his shoulder and Remy's arms sneaked across his waist, holding him tightly. I'm not attracted to him... I'm not falling in love with Remy... I'm not!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3

Creed

Hum... this feels nice... A warm body rested in front of him and had molded itself to his body. Scott smiled, as he began to wake up. Yeah, definitely nice... Still half asleep, the warm body in his arms aroused him. Growing hard, he shifted in the bed, moving even closer to his bed partner. Holding Jean never felt better.

Suddenly, he jerked awake. Hold that thought! Jean died months ago and she isn't the one in bed with me, so who is? Staying motionless, he merely opened his eyes. Auburn hair? Remy, fuck, it's Remy! Yeah, I remember now... he faced Hugo in the Danger Room and then I dragged him up here so he could rest. He wouldn't let go and pulled me into bed with him. We fell asleep, but... damn it, I'm hard! This can't be happening! He's giving me a hard-on! I don't like men! Never have... He chuckled softly. Jean would have loved this one! What do I do now? If I move I'll wake up him up, and if I don't he might wake up anyway and how do I explain my hard-on? I don't understand it myself. Maybe it's just because I haven't had any sex these last few months... maybe it's meaningless.

Scott continued to debate the matter privately, but failed to reach a decision. In the end, he judged it wise to get out of bed now, accepting the risk of waking Remy in the process, but at least that way the other man wouldn't wake with an erection poking his ass! Letting go of Remy, he pulled back and was about to roll onto his back, when Remy stirred. Fuck, he's a light sleeper...

"What's goin' on?" Remy's eyes flashed open, and he froze, feeling the warm body spooned behind... a very much aroused body...

"Shit, Remy... I can explain this. We fell asleep and..." Scott suddenly was at a loss for words. Lying to Remy didn't feel right either.

Remy took pity on him. "We're only human, even you Scott. Your body reacted to de warmt'... it's been a while..."

Scott swallowed hard. "I don't want you to feel threatened..." They had just exorcised Remy's personal demon and he hoped the Cajun trusted him enough to know that this was different. "Yeah, I'm hard, but it doesn't mean..."

Remy bit his bottom lip, thankful that Scott couldn't see him. He was hard as well and although it should have surprised him, it didn't. He had been in love with Scott for years now and although he still didn't feel completely comfortable with a man, he did trust Scott. The whole situation reminded him of being with Mike, that one time.

But this time he wouldn't settle for a one-night-stand. He wanted to be in a long-term relationship, in which they were committed to each other and he doubted that Scott was ready to take that step yet, even if the other man was in love with him. It was best to let Scott off the hook gently. "What's de time?" He changed their topic on purpose, giving Scott a way out.

Scott took it. "Almost nine." He decided on a course of action. "We should take a shower, change our clothes and grab a bite to eat."

Remy's expression grew sad. "Oui, sounds like a plan. I'm goin' back to de boathouse and you can go back to your own rooms." This was good-bye, but not before he had a chance to thank Scott for hanging in there with him. "Merci, Scott. I could never have faced Hugo 'lone. Means a lot to me dat you helped, dat you stayed." He started to sit upright, but hissed, surprised, as Scott refused to let him go. The other man's arms remained locked around him. "Cyke?"

Scott drew in a deep breath. "How are you doing, Remy? Last night was hard on you and I don't want you to stay at the boathouse on your own. Why don't you stay here? It's time to come home."

Home... de mansion ain' my home, Scott. Buildings mean rien to me! It's de people dat count. And oui, I'm tempted to stay 'cause I'd be close to you, mais wakin' up like dis has shown me dat I need to put some distance between us. Dis is what I want. I want to wake up like dis for de rest of my life, mais I can' have it... and I'm puttin' you in a difficult position by not distancin' myself. I can' allow you to find out 'bout my feelings. Bein' dis close to you will make me give 'way my secret and I can' take dat risk.

"Remy?" Worried, Scott rubbed the Cajun's arms. "Hey, are you listening?"

Remy shivered, as Scott's fingers caressed his skin through the fabric of his shirt. Stop it! It ain' a caress! He's jus' makin' sure you ain' freakin' out!

"Hey, Remy, turn around?" Scott pulled the Cajun onto his back and continued to manhandle the other man until Remy was facing him. Remy's eyes were draped with some unknown emotion. "Did I freak you out just now? I know you're probably still trying to deal with Hugo and then I... I shouldn't have spooned up behind you..."

"Stop babblin', homme..." Remy managed a reassuring smile. "You didn' freak me out and oui, I'm still dealin' wit' Hugo's sudden appearance, mais I can handle it now. I feel betta, stronger since last night and I have you to t'ank for it. How did you know what to do?"

Scott shrugged his shoulders once. "I'd be pissed off if someone had done that to me... I just tried to release your anger."

"It worked." Remy wiggled away from Scott and this time the other man allowed it, releasing him from the embrace.

"I really want you to stay at the mansion, Remy."

"I ain' sure 'bout dat," Remy said, thoughtfully. "De ladies don' want me 'round."

"But the guys do. Come on, Remy, stay." Scott propped himself up on his elbow and watched Remy get to his feet and head for the bathroom. That went better than I hoped! I was so embarrassed, waking up like that! I can't believe I grew hard because I was holding him. That didn't happen when we stayed at the boathouse that month... and even back then I sometimes woke up holding him in my arms... But he had felt mentally blocked seven months ago, emotionally drained and everything had seemed hopeless. Living without Jean had seemed impossible, but so many things had changed since then. And Remy's been at the heart of that change. I still miss Jean, but... Come on, Summers, admit you like spending time with Remy! You're as protective of him as you were of Jean and... No, I don't like men in that way!

"Scott? You sure you're bien?" Remy exited the bathroom again after brushing his teeth. He grabbed a few towels and tried to act casual. Waking up with Scott's hard-on pressed against his ass had been disconcerting. It had given him false hope and it was time to face reality. Scott hadn't been aroused because of him! It had been the warm body, which had made him believe that he was holding Jean. Dis ain' 'bout me!

"You never answered my question. Are you staying?"

Remy shook his head. "Non, still movin' back to de boathouse." Last night had felt like a rebirth and he needed time to figure out where he stood and what he wanted from life. "Mais you're welcome to stay dere wit' me." He made the offer without ever considering what he would do if Scott accepted it. He was so convinced Scott wouldn't accompany him back to the boathouse that the other man's words startled him.

"Then I'm coming with you." Puzzled, Scott noticed the sudden distress on Remy's face. "What? I thought you invited me to tag along!" What the hell are you doing, Summers? You can't do this! Remember, you love Jean. You can't possibly be interested in Remy... But I am... damn it, I felt like this when I realized I was in love with Jean... Ignoring the feelings and the attraction won't make them go away. I'm not ready yet to act on them and I have no idea how Remy feels about this... I want to strengthen our friendship first and then we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll watch Jean's recorded message again. She did tell me she was okay with me loving again... I have her blessing and she'd want me to be happy...

"Scott? You're spacin' out on me, homme." Remy didn't know what to make of Scott's facial expression. A smile appeared on Scott's face and his eyes narrowed. "Scott?"

Scott grinned. "Why don't you take that shower and we'll head back to the boathouse?" Scott rose to his feet, stretched and felt reborn now that he had made up his mind. He would court Remy and see what happened next. "I'll meet you at the boathouse in an hour. I'm going to take a shower myself." And check on the messages and talk to the professor. Hopefully there aren't any urgent matters to take care of. I want to spend some time with Remy. "I could be running late, considering the things I have to take care of, Remy, but I do plan on staying with you at the boathouse."

His eyes widened, suddenly realizing that Scott was serious. The other man really planned on staying with him at the boathouse! My big mout' got me into trouble 'again, merde!

He sighed, relieved as Scott left his room, needing some privacy to think about this unexpected development. After entering the bathroom, he quickly took off his clothes, stepped into the shower cabin and relaxed as the warm water cascaded down his tense muscles. He wasn't sure how he felt about Scott staying close. It had been his most secret desire that the other man would see through his pretence and keep him company, but now that Scott had taken that step, he felt insecure. Why was Scott sticking around? Oui, he could scan Scott and find out what was motivating the man, but that meant invading Scott's privacy and he refused to trespass like that. He had to find out the old-fashioned way... ask.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you sure about this, Scott?" Charles smiled gently. Scott had told him that he wanted to stay at the boathouse instead of the mansion. Scott was trying to make things up to Remy, but why?

"I'm sure, sir. Remy needs support and I don't want him to be alone. We almost lost him because we didn't see what was happening to him these last six months. I want to keep a close eye on him." Scott felt uncomfortable beneath Charles' stare.

"Is that the only reason why you want to stay at the boathouse? To keep an eye on him?" He hoped Scott would finally confide in him. You're broadcasting warmth and affection without even knowing it.

"No, it's not the only reason..." Scott drew in a deep breath. Did he want Charles to know the truth? He still felt ashamed for being attracted to Remy. Jean had only been dead for seven months! But she wants me to love again... to be happy...

"And what's the other reason?" Charles decided against telling Scott that he could easily pick up on the other man's affectionate thoughts for Remy. It would be best if Scott faced the facts and told him.

Scott looked away. Although the professor couldn't see his eyes, he still felt exposed, knowing damn well that Xavier could read his thoughts if the professor wanted to. "I never expected it to happen."

"What?"

"That I would develop certain feelings for Remy," Scott admitted in a raw tone.

"What kind of feelings?" Charles wanted to hear Scott say the words. He had to make sure that his protégé accepted the truth.

"I'm attracted to him." Scott cleared his throat and rested his head against the headrest of the chair. "It started out subtly, sir. I got worried when he absorbed my depression and later... during that month I spent at the boathouse I got to know him better and to care about him. This morning I woke up and... my body was telling me it liked having Remy close. I was scared I had spooked him..."

"Spooked Remy?" Charles grew alert. Why would Scott be worried that he had spooked Remy by feeling attracted to him?

"I can't tell you, sir. Remy doesn't want anyone to know what happened in his childhood, but it's bad."

"Remy told me."

"He what?" Scott almost leapt from his chair.

"While you were helping Lilandra, Remy and I talked. He told me about his time on the streets and what he had to do in order to survive."

"But he told me no one else knew!" Confused, Scott paced in front of Charles' desk.

"Maybe he was so upset that he forgot?" Charles steered his hoverchair toward Scott. "Scott, these feelings you mentioned... care to elaborate?"

Scott shrugged his shoulders. "I've never before been attracted to a man, that's why this is so damn confusing and then there's Jean... she's only been dead for seven months and dating again doesn't feel right. It's too soon, isn't it?"

Charles ignored Scott's last question and probed deeper. "Is it lust? A need to experiment or...?"

Scott firmly shook his head. "It's not lust... it never was about lust. I felt the same thing with Jean. It was about her personality, and now it's about Remy's. He really wants to help people, but no one ever sees that. He's alone, and yet he never gives up. His strength still surprises me. If it had been me on the streets instead of Remy, I wouldn't have turned out as well. At this point I'm not interested in pursuing the sexual side of my attraction. I want to get to know him better, build a solid relationship and then... I don't even know if Remy's interested in me. Considering his past I doubt it."

Charles licked his lips, realizing how delicate this matter was. "Do you love him?"

Scott's brow grew knitted. "I asked myself that question after leaving Remy's room. I don't know if I love him... I feel affection for him and that has to grow into love... at least that's how it happened with Jean. But I feel strongly about Remy."

"So this isn't a fling? A temporary infatuation? Is this going to be a long-term relationship? A committed one?" Charles chose his words carefully. "Remy has suffered greatly in the past and if this is just a fling you shouldn't pursue this, but if it's more..."

"Then what?" Scott turned around and stared at the professor. He knew the expression in Charles only too well. The older man was holding back.

"Then you should make this relationship work."

"Respectfully, sir, but I don't even know if Remy's interested."

Charles moved back to his desk and leaned back in his hoverchair. "Jean didn't leave you only one message, but two. She left explicit instructions for when you were allowed to watch the second recording."

Scott shook his head in disbelief. "Why didn't you tell me? She left me another message? I can't believe you hid this from me!"

"She only wanted you to watch it in the event you felt attracted to Remy." Charles didn't know exactly what the message was about, but he had a pretty good idea. Jean had probably known about the attraction between the two men. "Do you wish to view the recording now or...?

"I demand to see it now!" Scott felt betrayed. Charles had known about the second message and the professor had never told him! "I want to see it right now!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott felt nervous as he was waiting for Cerebro to start the program. He shivered at the thought of seeing Jean again, and not knowing what the message was about made him apprehensive. All he knew was that this was about Remy...

The hologram suddenly flashed alive and it took him by surprise. Instinctively, he backed away from it. "Oh, Jean..." She was beautiful and her gentle smile made her even more attractive.

"Scott..."

Hearing her voice made his eyes water and he blinked away the unshed tears. They would sting beneath the visor and it made him uncomfortable, especially when Logan was around. The Canadian could probably smell the saline in the air. "Jean..."

"Scott, I'm glad you decided to try again." Jean's smile brightened. "You made an excellent choice. Remy's so right for you."

"Huh?" Stunned, Scott stared at the hologram. "How could you possibly know...?" But the hologram continued the recorded message and he listened closely.

"I talked to Remy after he returned to the mansion from Antarctica. It was then that I found out he was an empath as well as a telepath. And yes, his shields were strong, but not that strong and I easily read his secret desires in his mind. Did you know that Remy has been in love with you for years? He's had a crush on you since joining the team."

"No..." That was impossible! He would have noticed! "He dated Rogue!" But then he realized the truth. "He dated Rogue to mislead us. He didn't want us to know the truth."

The program continued and Jean's smile grew sad. "He never wanted to come between us, honey. He told me that he respected our love and he never made a move on you because he didn't want to hurt me. He suffered in silence all these years and that's why I'm thrilled that you have developed feelings for him."

Scott was speechless. Staring at the hologram, he continued to shake his head. I can't believe she knew!

"Actually, I gave Remy my blessing to act on his feelings if something happened to me." Jean's eyes were swimming with tears. "You're watching this recording, which means I'm dead... Scott, I want you to be happy, but you’ve probably figured that one out by now. But guilt and misplaced loyalty is keeping you from acting on your feelings for Remy. I know you, Scott!"

Scott managed his first smile. "Yeah, you do."

"I'm dead, honey. There's no reason why you have to remain faithful to my memory. Choose the living! Remy loves you and you have feelings for him. It's okay to act on those feelings. Honey, I want you to act on them!"

A lump had formed in his throat and Scott fought back his tears. "Jean, I love you so much..."

Jean's expression grew distant. "Make him happy, Scott, and in return Remy will make you happy as well. Don't let him slip away." The hologram faded and Jean was gone.

Scott rubbed his brow, massaged his temples and tried to truly accept what Jean had told him. "She wants me to love Remy... she wants me to make this work." A goofy grin surfaced on his face. "Jean, you're the best thing that ever happened to me. Thank you for recording these messages. I would never have admitted to liking Remy in that way if you hadn't given me permission to love again. I won't disappoint you, I promise." Turning around, he headed for the exit. "Remy's, it's about time we talked."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remy raced toward Burger King, loving the way the wind moved through his hair. It had been ages since he had ridden his bike and he had missed the sensation of freedom that usually overwhelmed him. Mattie would chide him for not wearing a helmet, but he didn't care. Last night he had finally done away with a fear that had been his constant companion for so many years and riding his bike at this reckless speed made him feel alive.

He was on his way to Burger King to prove to himself that he wasn't afraid any longer. Hugo wasn't chasing him away again. He was done with being scared and intimidated. This time he would defend himself and tell Hugo off. No one was messing with him ever again!

Feeling victorious and high on adrenaline, he pulled up to the Burger King and shut down the engine. He strutted into the Burger King and scanned his surroundings; Hugo was nowhere in sight. Does dat disappoint me or am I relieved... secretly? I faced his hologram, mais I never faced him in person. Doesn' really matter. I'm t'rough wit' bein' scared!

Only facing Hugo for real would show him if he had truly dealt with his fears, but he settled for feeling euphoric. After ordering a shake, he left and headed for his bike.

And what 'bout facin' Scott? Remy straddled his bike, but didn't kick start it yet. While sipping his milkshake, he recalled waking up in Scott's arms. Feeling the other man's erection against his ass had surprised him. Even confused him a little, but he was relieved that he hadn't been scared.

Can' be dat lucky... I've had dis crush on him for years and rien happened. He never indicated he was interested in men... in me. He hasn’ change orientation 'cause Jean's dead. De poor guy probably hasn’ had sex dese last seven mont's and his body reacted instinctively. I was close and warm... and Scott grew aroused. Mais I would sell my soul for his love... I 'ways t'ought I knew what Scott was 'bout, mais t'ings ain' de way dey seemed. He cares 'bout me and de ot'ers on de team... he ain' cold or arrogant at all.

Remy started his bike and headed for the mansion. Was he serious when he said he was stayin' at de boathouse? He probably only said it to make me feel bien. No way Scott's stayin' at de boathouse... mais what if he is? What if he's serious? Mon Dieu, don' do dis to me! I'm in love wit' de man!

"Gotcha!"

The victorious howl froze the blood in his veins. A second later, Creed slammed into him and knocked him off his bike, sending him onto the hard concrete. His head connected with the road and he almost lost consciousness. Blood dripped from his nose and into his mouth and the metallic tang of blood made him nauseous. His vision became blurry and red spots danced in front of his eyes.

"Told ya I'd be back, Cajun." Creed stood over him, sniffing his prey. LeBeau was bleeding and he was tempted to taste the thief. "Later," he growled impatiently.

Realizing the danger he was in, Remy tried to struggle to his feet, but a strong hand kept him down and vertigo hit hard, causing him to empty his stomach on the concrete. Something cold snapped into place around his throat and his eyes almost bulged from their sockets. Creed had collared him, again! "No!" He struggled harder, but lost his balance and collapsed on the concrete. He couldn't focus his eyes, couldn't think clearly and a sudden bout of dry heaves rendered him helpless.

His left hand remained locked around the Cajun's neck and he watched, amused, as his prey struggled against the hold. He cursed as LeBeau began to throw up. The acid smell offended his nose, but he waited for the Cajun to finish before hauling him to his feet. Lifting LeBeau until the Cajun's feet no longer touched the concrete, he grinned. "Yer mine, LeBeau... Ya'll do as I tell you to... Play yer cards right, Cajun and maybe ya'll live."

Remy lacked the strength to keep his eyes open. He hung helpless in Creed's hold and tried to free himself one last time, finding he couldn't move at all. Panicking, he tried to kick at Creed, but nothing happened. His head throbbed and another bout of dry heaves made his eyes water.

"Not again," Creed growled and swung a right at the Cajun, which rendered him unconscious. "Ya can throw up when I ain't around, Cajun..." Creed stalked back to his hiding place. LeBeau was a telepath and an empath. Birdie had only been a telepath and he wondered what would happen once Remy took her place. Grinning, he flung LeBeau over his shoulder, ignoring the Cajun's injuries. "Yer gonna help me get back in control... you're mine..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Remy, where the hell are you?" Scott was growing worried. Three hours ago, he had returned to the boathouse, expecting to find Remy preparing breakfast, but the Cajun hadn't been there. He had started pacing and over the next two hours he had fixed lunch and hauled his personal things upstairs, expecting Remy to show up any moment, but the Cajun hadn't. Remy had left.

Scott came to a standstill in front of the kitchen table. He had hoped to talk things over with Remy and to get everything in the open, but the Cajun was missing.

Worried, Scott picked up his coat and left the house. He walked over to his car, opened the door and slipped behind the steering wheel. "Where are you? Where did you go?"

Whenever he had lost sight of Jean their telepathic link had informed him of her whereabouts and her condition. But he wasn't linked to Remy and had no idea where to start searching. Assuming he wants to be found!

Where do I start? Where would he go? Damn, he's a skilled thief. He knows where to hide if he doesn't want to be found. He's not on the premises, so I can rule that one out... where did you go, Remy? He didn't know why he was this worried, but he was. It was urgent that he find Remy and make sure the Cajun was unharmed.

A sudden rush of panic swept through him and feeling paranoid, he looked about, scanning his surroundings for intruders. "Remy, what's going on?" His hands, which rested on the steering wheel, shook violently. Something was wrong, terribly wrong and he didn't know where Remy was! "Damn you, LeBeau!"

He keyed the ignition and quickly left the mansion grounds. Once he passed the gate, he stopped, wondering which way to go. "Burger King... you went back there, didn't you? After last night you had to confront your fears alone." Quickly, he turned left and headed for Burger King. In the meantime, the sense of dread continued to build. His stomach was contracting and a headache building. A sharp pain swept through his head and he had to pull over and stop the car. His vision was blurry and he couldn't tell where he was driving. "Remy, what’s happened?"

He waited for the pain to pass and then continued his drive. "Fuck...no..." Remy's bike blocked the road and he pulled over. After leaving the car, he quickly examined the scene. Someone had thrown up and he also found blood and a handful of Remy's hair. "An accident? Why doesn't that feel right?" Remy was an excellent driver and had never had an accident before. "And there's no other car or bike. You didn't have an accident."

Suddenly suspicious, he looked about again and found a tiny piece of Remy's shirt stuck to a branch. "Why would you go into the forest? Why not call for help?" His heart missed a beat, finding more blood. Should he go back and get the others to help him search for Remy? No, I can't waste any time. What if he's in a bad way and he needs help? Medical attention? I need to find him first!

Scott moved deeper into the forest and continued to find shreds of Remy's clothing. Sitting on his heels, he examined the tracks. He wasn't a skilled tracker, but by watching Logan he had picked up a few things. These tracks are deeper than they're supposed to be... one person only... but... what if Remy isn't alone? What if he was attacked and this attacker is carrying him? But who... Fuck, Creed! The bastard gave up way too easy the last time we fought! He kidnapped Remy once before... It must be Creed.

Aware of the danger he was in, Scott proceeded, following the tracks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling nauseous and miserable, Remy clawed his way back to the surface and regained consciousness only to stare into Creed's ugly visage. His hands and feet were tied again, leaving him no room to maneuver. The collar hung heavily around his neck and he barely suppressed the urge to throw up again. "Whad-d-da you w-want?" His speech was slightly slurred and he was having trouble phrasing his questions. Had he suffered a concussion as well?

Creed grinned. He was sitting opposite the Cajun and stretched his long legs. "Yer gonna help me, LeBeau... I've been searchin' for a suitable telepath for a long time... Ya'll do."

"Telepath?" Why did Creed need a telepath? Something the mad man had said the last time he had kidnapped him, returned to him. Creed had said he was going to train him. Shivering, he tried to compose himself, but the pounding headache made it impossible. Suddenly, Creed lunged forward and grabbed his throat. Unable to draw in his next breath, he stared at Creed, reading the bloodlust in the other man's mind.

"I love it when they struggle..." Creed said, amused. "Don't make it easy on me... fight me, Cajun..."

His head jerked back and he screamed as Creed's out of control emotions slammed into his mind. The bloodlust, the rage, the animalistic urges invaded his being. Acting instinctively, he fought Creed, tried to throw him out of his mind, but failed. Creed was gaining momentum. A terrified wail left his lips as he finally lost consciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott froze in his tracks. A sharp scream, followed by a keening wail echoed through the forest. "Damn it!" He immediately recognized Remy's voice, even felt the Cajun in his mind, but the younger man felt incredibly weak.

He sped up and started to run. He barely avoided the branches and at times, they slapped into his face, breaking the skin. Although he was bleeding, he didn't pay it any attention and continued to run. He was getting closer... and closer...

Creed suddenly stumbled from a cave and fell to his knees, staring blankly at the sun. Scott charged him, knocked Creed off of his knees and used his optic blast to take out his opponent. Creed collapsed and no longer presented any danger. Satisfied that he had dealt with Remy's nemesis, he proceeded into the cave, fairly sure he would find the Cajun there.

"Remy? Remy, where are you?" It was dark inside the cave and his eyes needed time to adapt to the darkness. A moan, coming from his right, showed him which direction to move in. "Remy? It's me, Scott..."

He suddenly came to a halt. His eyes made out Remy's form in the dark and Scott sucked in his breath. A Genoshan collar hung around Remy's neck, but it was open and not active. Why had Creed bothered to put it around Remy's neck? He could worry about that later. First, he had to find out if Remy needed medical attention. He went down on his heels and gently cupped Remy's chin in the palm of his hand. Pushing back some blood-covered locks, he finally got a good view of Remy's face. His brow was covered in blood and a nasty gash was situated behind his right ear.

"Remy, can you hear me? Remy?" Scott almost pulled back when the stench of vomit assaulted him. "Looks like you got a concussion, Remy. Let's hope you didn't break anything."

The low, guttural growl took him aback and Scott started to turn around to face Creed. But wait... the growl isn't coming from behind me... it's... Remy! He never fully realized what happened when Remy launched himself at him. The Cajun's fingernails dug into his skin, causing more blood to run down his face. Staring into the wide, feral eyes, Scott acted too late. Remy was already lunging for his throat. Ducking, he tried to get away from him, but failed completely. He banged the back of his head against the rocky wall and went down. The last thing he heard was Remy's victorious howl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 4

Realizing the truth.

Scott's eyes opened slowly. His head was pounding, and he cringed when the pain sliced through his skull. Instinctively, he doubled over and emptied his stomach. Shaking like a leaf, he looked up, startled to realize he was no longer in the cave. How much time had passed? The sun had still been shining when he had gone looking for Remy and now it was dark.

Remy! What the hell happened? He attacked me... But the Cajun hadn't hurt him. The headache was a result of his collision with the cave wall. Fighting his panic, he searched his surroundings. "Remy? Where are you?"

"Gumbo's unconscious, Cyke."

Bright eyes flashed from the darkness. "Logan?" Scott managed to push himself to his feet by using the trunk of a tree to support himself. "What happened? And why are you here?"

"Good thing I followed ya," Logan said, emerging from the darkness. "About time ya woke up. We got work to do. Couldn't haul both yer sorry asses back to the mansion."

Scott cocked his head, hoping the headache would fade in time. He quickly checked himself for additional injuries, but he was all right except for the headache. "Where's Remy? I can't believe he attacked me!"

"Went for yer throat, huh?" Logan took hold of Scott's arm and pulled the other man along. "I had to take him out. I got here just in time. Gumbo was ready to rip yer throat out."

"But why?" He recognized the auburn hair as moonbeams gently traveled over the ground. Remy, clearly unconscious, was lying on the damp, cold earth

"He lost control," Logan mused. "I didn't wanna knock him out, but didn't have a choice. He tried to take me out too."

"Where's Creed?" Scott sat on his heels beside the unconscious Cajun.

"Creed?" His claws emerged from his knuckles and Logan sniffed the air. "I knew he was close, but... ya saw him?"

"He stumbled out of the cave just as I arrived. I went inside to check on Remy, afraid that Creed had hurt him. That's when Remy attacked me." Scott turned Remy over until he could see the younger man's face. Animal rage contorted the usually calm features. "I don't get it. Why attack me?"

Logan joined them, took hold of Remy's arm and hauled the Cajun over his shoulder. "Hopefully Charlie can figure it out." He didn't want to tell Scott just how well he knew that possessed look in Remy's eyes. The same demonic expression filled Creed's eyes when bloodlust controlled that maniac. The hair at the back of his neck stood rigid, realizing the danger Remy presented in his current state.

As they headed for the mansion, Logan continued to sniff the air. He didn't want Creed sneaking up on him, not while they were weakened. Scott was trying hard to pretend that he was okay, but he smelled the acid bubbling in the other man's stomach and hoped Scott wasn't going to throw up again. "How's the head?"

"I'll survive," Scott said, calmly. "I'm more worried about Remy."

"I'll take ya back to the mansion and then I'll track down Creed. I got some questions..."

///

Disorientated, he stumbled through the forest. Branches and fallen trees blocked his path, but he continued running. He didn't know where he was, what had happened or who he was. His memory was blank, and feeling frightened, he was putting distance between himself and the cave where he had woken up minutes ago. The howl, which had come from inside the cave, had alarmed him and he had started to run blindly.

"This ain't right... somethin's wrong..." He didn't question how he knew things had gone wrong... A vague memory surfaced; he had trusted his instincts before and, encouraged, he picked up speed, trying to find his way out of the forest.

///

"My stars and garters! What happened! Put Remy on the exam table, and Scott, sit down!" Hank rushed into action, suddenly faced with two patients. He had been working on his research when Logan's roar had echoed through the lab.

Hank immediately checked Remy's vital signs. The Cajun's heart was racing and his hands were contracted into fists, even in his unconscious state. "Logan, I need information!"

"I knocked Gumbo out. He attacked Cyke. Had his hands around his neck when I found them." Logan left Remy to Hank's care and checked on Scott, who sat slumped in the chair. "Head still hurtin'?"

"Yeah..." He didn't want to speak, didn't want to listen to the noise all around him. Why couldn't the throbbing in his head stop? "How's Remy?"

"Why is our Acadian friend collared?" Hank quickly removed the already open collar and placed it next to Remy on the exam table.

"Must be Creed's doin'. Bastard tried collarin' Gumbo before." Now that they no longer needed him, he headed for the doorway again. Creed was still out there and it was up to him to find his nemesis.

"Logan, I need some help in dealing with these two. Ask the professor and Warren to join me before you leave?" Hank hooked Remy up to a monitor to register his heartbeat.

"Sure." Logan nodded once and then left the lab.

Hank noticed the blood and dirt beneath Remy's fingertips. Scott's face and throat showed marks, which could stem from Remy's fingernails... Scott had mentioned that Remy had attacked him. "Scott, what happened exactly?"

Scott closed his eyes, trying to lock out the lights. "I think that Creed knocked Remy off his bike and then dragged him off to a cave. When I arrived, Creed stumbled outside and Remy attacked me... he growled..."

"Who, Creed did?"

"No, Remy..." Alarmed, Scott fought down his discomfort and struggled to his feet. "He growled and then went for my throat... the last thing I heard was a victorious howl. At first, I thought it was Creed, but when I realized that it was Remy, it was already too late."

Hank raised a puzzled eyebrow. "Hopefully we'll get our answers when Gambit wakes up."

"Henry?" Charles steered his hoverchair toward the exam table, already trying to get a reading from Remy's mind, but the Cajun's barriers were impossible to breach. Caught off-guard, Charles' eyes widened, feeling how tight Remy's defenses were.

Warren entered next, and headed toward them as well. Logan hadn't given him any details. The Canadian had merely told him that Hank needed him in the medlab. Hank had taught him some basic medical skills so he could help tend patients. His eyes first sought out Scott and he frowned, seeing how tight the other man's jaw was set. Something real bad had happened. "What's wrong with Remy?"

"We don't know yet," Hank whispered, puzzled. "Professor? What do you sense?"

"Not much," Charles replied, disappointed. "His defenses are too tight. Scott?"

Scott told them what had happened and noticed the deep frown that appeared on Charles' brow. "Sir?"

Charles hoped he was wrong. "Scott, when you saw Creed exit the cave... was he as aggressive as usual?"

"No," Scott said, thoughtfully. "He seemed weak, maybe a little confused. Creed was acting oddly."

"And Remy was violent, and attacked you without reason?" Charles hoped his theory was wrong, but it looked like he had drawn the right conclusion after all.

"Yeah, I didn't provoke him, and yet he lashed out. If it hadn't been for Logan..." Scott grew quiet. "How serious is it?"

"Very serious." Charles rubbed the bridge of his nose. "This is only a theory, mind you, but it looks like Remy absorbed Creed's animalistic urges, like he absorbed your depression a few months ago."

"Sir?" Confused, Warren looked from Remy to Charles. "What are you saying?"

Charles suddenly jerked upright in the hoverchair and his face contorted. "My God, Remy's waking up and... his mind is like quicksand... Henry, quickly, collar him!"

Hank wondered if he had misunderstood, but Charles' expression told him that the professor was serious. Moving quickly, he grabbed the collar and moved toward the exam table. Suddenly, a sharp, slicing pain moved through his mind and he dropped the collar, clutching his head instead.

"He's awake... Warren, Scott, the collar!" Charles focused on the Cajun, trying to dam the raging emotions that were leaking from Remy's mind. The pain grew worse, and he doubled his efforts to manipulate Remy's feelings and thoughts.

Warren screamed, as an icy pain slashed through his skull. He collapsed against the wall, panting hard. Gathering his strength, he managed to raise his head. He found Remy's eyes open, and an insane expression flashed from the demonic orbs. The Cajun bared his teeth, growled and tried to sit upright. "Scott! What do we do?" He faltered after taking a step closer to the exam table. Remy moved too quickly and the Cajun's sharp fingernails broke his skin. "Fuck!"

Scott was leaning against the exam table. Being the closest to Remy, he tried to move toward the Cajun, but the pain was too bad. "Sir, what...?"

Charles gritted his teeth, finally able to withstand Remy's attack. "He's using his empathy against us, Scott... rendering us almost helpless... Talk to him, maybe he'll recognize you." But he doubted Remy would recognize anyone in the frenzied state the Cajun was in right now.

The pain caused him to fight for breath, but Scott continued to advance on Remy. He cringed, realizing Remy was clawing Warren's face and the Cajun's fingers were moving toward Warren's throat. Remy's insane grin and diabolical expression took him aback. "Remy? What's going on? Talk to me."

Remy spun around, growled and bared his teeth. Cocking his head, he sniffed the air and pounced forward.

Scott almost froze in his tracks, seeing Remy fling himself forward. He acted quickly and grabbed Remy's wrists, making sure the Cajun couldn't scratch his face open like he had done to Warren. "Remy, calm down! Everything's fine!" The mental pain was bearable now and he gritted his teeth, trying to control the pain and rage that battered against his mind.

Charles moved behind Remy's back and grabbed the collar. Signaling Scott to maneuver Remy toward him, he kept a close eye on the Cajun. He didn't understand how it was possible that Creed had transferred his animalistic urges to Remy, but he vowed to find out. What if it was an accident? What if Creed never expected this to happen? We need to find Creed! He's the only one who can answer those questions.

Hank, recovering from the empathic attack, shook his head, trying to clear it of all alien emotions. Charles threw him the collar, which he caught. Remy was getting closer to him and the Cajun had no idea that they were setting him up.

"Remy, listen to me. Come on, you know me! It's me, Scott." He held his breath, hearing Remy's enraged growl. The Cajun's contorted features actually scared him. "Remy, please, listen to me! Let me help you! I don't know what's going on, but we're here to help!"

Remy cocked his head, stopped growling and actually seemed to listen to his words. "Yeah, that's it, Remy. You know me. It's me, Scott." The red glow in Remy's alien eyes weakened briefly, but then flared again. Just at the Cajun wanted to lunge for him, he signaled Hank to slap on the collar.

Infuriated, Remy growled and tried to spin around, but Hank had a tight hold on him. Long arms kept him in place and he flinched violently when the collar closed around his neck. He collapsed as he passed out and hung limply in Hank's arms.

The three men stared at each other, shock evident in their eyes. It had taken all three of them to take out Remy!

"What a formidable weapon," Hank whispered in an awed tone. "I never realized how powerful he is."

"I think no one did," Warren remarked, sarcastically. Grabbing some tissues, he dabbed at the scratches, which Remy's fingernails had left behind on his chin and cheek. "He scratched me open!"

Hank eased Remy back down on the exam table and restrained his patient to prevent a repeat performance. "Sir, do you know what happened? Didn't he recognize us?"

Charles, composed again, took a deep breath. "We've got a major problem on our hands. To solve it, we need Creed. It won't be easy. Creed might not want this feral side of his character back and Remy will need to lower his shields in order to complete the transfer."

Warren's eyes widened. "Are you saying that..."

"That Remy isn't himself. Creed's personality is in there as well. We need to transfer it back to the rightful owner." Charles considered his next move. "Hank, check on Scott. Make sure he doesn't have a concussion. And Scott, when you feel up to it, I want you to stay here and to talk to Remy. Maybe hearing your voice will trigger something. He seemed to listen earlier. Warren, disinfect those scratches and assist Hank in whatever way you can."

"And what are you going to do, sir?" Scott sat down and let Hank hook him up to a monitor so McCoy could run his tests.

"Hopefully Cerebro will help me locate Creed. Logan will have to bring him in and in the meantime, we need to keep a close eye on Remy. He doesn't know what he's doing." Charles steered his hoverchair toward the doorway, realizing he needed help to undo the transfer. And the only one who possesses the knowledge I need is... Sinister.

///

After what seemed hours, he finally reached a road. A damaged bike lay on its side and he walked toward it. Did he know how to ride a bike? There was only one way to find out. The keys were still in place and it started with a reluctant roar.

Looking about, he hesitantly climbed on. Shouldn't he find the owner instead of taking off like this? But he felt like someone was following him and he was very eager to leave this place. But where to go?

He took off, heading north, uncertain what fate held in store for him.

///

Logan had closed his eyes when he had felt Charles reach for him. After absorbing the new information, he realized just how it important it was that he located Creed. "Professor... did I understand correctly? Do ya really think that Creed's 'normal' now? That the bloodlust, his urge to kill and maim is gone?

Yes. Creed is no longer the insane maniac we know. He may even be suffering from amnesia. If only I knew how this happened! As far as I can tell Creed isn't a telepath, or an empath. He must have taken Remy by surprise and for some reason Remy's shields were down, allowing Creed in. When he absorbed Scott's depression, he had trouble letting go as well and now he's no longer thinking logically at all.

Then ya betta work on findin' a solution. I'll find Creed and haul his sorry ass back to the mansion. Ya can count on me. Just keep Gumbo safe until I'm back. Logan stretched his neck, terminating the telepathic contact. He sure had his work cut out for him.

Upon returning to the road, he found that Remy's bike was gone. His sense of smell quickly confirmed that Creed had been close and had probably taken the bike to increase the distance between them.

Amnesia, my ass. Creed has as many false memories as I have. He can't tell reality from induced memory. He's out there somewhere, 'ready slaughtering his next victim. If I'm Gumbo's only chance, he's doomed. Come on, Chuck, I know ya can figure this on out!

Approaching Scott's abandoned car, he grinned. For once, he was lucky. Although the key was gone, (trust Cyke to remember to take the key) he hot-wired the car. Once the car was running smoothly, he decided to head north... Creed's scent pulled him in that direction.

///

Hank acknowledged Charles' arrival with a polite nod. They had agreed to meet in the lab, instead of the professor's study so he could keep an eye on his patient.

Charles felt drained. Upholding the connection with Logan had sapped a lot of his energy and later, he had tried to contact Sinister, using Cerebro to strengthen his mental powers. Unfortunately, the scientist hadn't responded yet, but he remained hopeful that Sinister had received his message. When they had pulled Remy back from his depression Sinister had just suddenly appeared, without ever bothering to answer his call. "What's our situation?"

Hank placed the latest report concerning Remy's condition on the desk in front of him. "Let's start with Scott. He has a light concussion and as long as he doesn't fall asleep, he'll be fine. The cuts on Scott and Warren's faces will heal quickly."

"But what about Remy?" Charles moved closer until he sat opposite Hank. "Bad news?"

"Physically... he's high on adrenaline right now. His body's tense and even in unconsciousness he seems ready for battle. I've given him a mild sedative and I want to keep him restrained. I suspect you can tell me more concerning his mental health?"

"Not much," Charles admitted. "A part of Creed's personality, the primal side, is now controlling Remy's actions. We need to find Creed and reverse the transfer."


"But what if Logan can't find Creed? Will Remy stay in this condition?" Hank wrote everything down in Remy's file. He was greatly worried about the Cajun. Remy had been through a lot lately and now his empathy was causing problems again! Last time they had barely managed to pull Remy back from the brink. He still didn't know how Charles had convinced Remy to lower his shields, but the Cajun had listened to the professor's advice and the depression had found a way out. "There must be something we can do!"

Charles nodded his head. "Perhaps. Although Creed was never completely sane, he did show signs of control and intelligence. Maybe Remy can learn to control his urges to some extent. But before we can even try to teach him control we'll have to gain his trust first. He's not thinking rationally and sees us as his enemies. That's why he attacked Scott in the first place."

Hank gave Charles a thoughtful look. "What do you suggest?"

"I asked Scott to stay for a reason. Remy and he have spent a lot of time together these last few months. Remy even helped him deal with losing Jean. Maybe Remy will remember helping Scott, even while Creed's instincts are trying to control his actions." Charles paused. "Henry, could you ask Scott to step in here for a moment? I need to talk to him... in private."

"Of course." Hank finished updating the report and filed it. He rose from his chair and left to fetch Scott.

///

Scott sat quietly beside Remy, every so often stroking back a lock of hair when the Cajun shifted in his sleep. He had watched as Hank administered the sedative, realizing its necessity. Warren was moving about behind him, keeping an eye on them. "Remy, what's going on with you? What did Creed do to you? I promise we'll find a solution, Remy..."

"Scott? You've been sitting here for two hours now... you need to drink something." Warren handed Scott some herbal tea Bobby had made. Bobby had taken it upon himself to prepare some sandwiches and to supply them with hot drinks. Warren smiled; Bobby had been rather upset when Hank had forbidden him from entering the medlab, telling the younger man that his patient needed rest. "It's one of Bobby's concoctions. It might smell gross, but it tastes okay.

"Thanks, Warren." Although he wasn't thirsty, he accepted the drink and sipped his tea.

"You're really worried, aren't you?" He had studied Scott for the last half-hour and had reached the conclusion that something was eluding him.

"Yeah, I'm worried." Scott looked at Warren and shook his head, noticing the scratch marks on the other man's face as well. "He's got sharp fingernails."

"Good thing he doesn't have claws..." Warren shrugged his shoulders. "Sorry."

"No, you're right." Scott pushed back another stray lock. "The sedative is keeping him under and Hank wants him restrained..." Scott frowned, staring at the restraints.

"I hope the professor finds a solution," Warren offered, sincerely. "Creed's a bastard for doing this to Remy. I wonder if this was his intention all along. Why did he kidnap Remy that first time?"

"He didn't tell me..." Scott sighed and leaned back in his chair. What's happening to me? The mere thought of losing him, hurts. I don't want to lose him to Creed or to insanity. I want him back, whole. Guess this means I can’t run from my feelings any longer. I'm in love with him... maybe it's more already. When I realized something was wrong, my heart ached so badly that I wanted to rip Creed's out. Why did he do this to Remy? Oh, I'm so sorry... Remy, I do love you. I'm so sorry I chickened out and didn't tell you what was going on!

"Scott? The professor wants to talk to you... in private." Hank rested his right hand on Scott's shoulder and squeezed gently. "I'll stay with Remy while you're gone. He's in the best hands."

"I know that," Scott whispered, gratefully. He slowly rose from his chair, stretching tense and tired muscles, and headed for Hank's office in the back of the medlab.

"Sir, you wanted to talk to me?" Scott remained standing in the doorway, trying to read Charles' expression.

"Yes. Close the door and take a seat. We need to discuss something very important."

Scott did as he was told and sat down opposite Charles. "What do you want to discuss?"

"Remy... and your feelings for him." Charles clasped his hands. "We need to reach Remy and being honest with yourself and with him may be the only way to do it."

"Sir?" Scott straightened his back, listening intently.

"I want to try something," Charles explained. "Once the sedative wears off, you're going to reach out to Remy. Yes, that's a frightening concept, knowing how crushing his empathy is and yet I want you to focus on your feelings for him. We need to establish some sort of contact."

"Do you really think that will work? He's tried killing me twice so far."

"Because he felt threatened. Scott, he doesn't understand these urges. Remy can't control them. You have to help him control them. Once he realizes you don't mean him any harm, he might turn to you for help. Remy isn't Creed. Their personalities differ greatly."

Scott was still unconvinced, but he had already made the decision to try. "I’ll do anything to help him. The way he is now... it's wrong."

Contently, Charles nodded his head. "The sedative will wear off in about two hours. Why don't you use that time to rest? Reaching Remy will be a draining experience. I'm sure Henry has an empty bed for you."

Realizing their conversation had ended, Scott rose from his chair. "This had better work, sir."

Charles' eyes filled with understanding and compassion. I want him back as much as you do, Scott, but only you can bring him back. It's time for you to face your feelings and to admit them to Remy as well. Are you afraid of what the others will think?

Yes, I am, Scott admitted. Jean's only been gone for a few months and although I have her permission to date again I still feel like I'm cheating on her. I never imagined that I would fall in love so quickly...

"Follow your heart," Charles said, as Scott headed for the doorway. "Always listen to your heart."

///

"Nothin'!" Logan growled softly, displeased that Creed still eluded him. He had tracked Creed down to this city and he had even located Remy's bike, which Creed had abandoned after he had run out of gas. "He's close... I can smell him..." But the smell was different. Although the essence remained the same, something had changed. The man was sweating less, probably because he wasn't experiencing any adrenaline rushes.

"Poor kid..." Logan mused, wondering how Remy was doing. "Don't wanna be in yer shoes." He knew what it was like to go primal, when bloodlust and his ancient instincts controlled him. Remy had never experienced anything like it and wouldn't know how to deal with it.

"Creed, it doesn't matter where yer hidin'. I'm gonna find ya and haul ya back to the mansion." But he was running out of time...

///

"He'll wake up in the next few minutes," Hank announced. He had taken off the collar, as Scott needed to reach out to the empath. "But the sedative is still in his bloodstream; he should be relaxed and immobile." The restraints stayed on. He wasn't going to take any chances.

"Give us some privacy?" Scott looked at the three men. Warren, Hank and the professor were concerned about his well-being, having experienced Remy's crushing empathic powers personally.

"Be careful, Scott," Warren whispered. "And let us know if you need our help."

They backed away from the exam table until they were out of Remy's line of sight.

Scott pulled his chair closer to the exam table and placed his right hand over Remy's, gently rubbing the Cajun's knuckles. "Hey, Remy, it's me, Scott. Open your eyes for me?" Remy stirred and Scott held his breath as a low growl escaped the Cajun's throat. "No, you don't need to feel threatened, Remy. You're among friends. You're safe. It's okay to open your eyes and wake up."

Remy's eyes flashed open and showed panic and rage. Scott acted at once, moving closer to the Cajun so that Remy could see him. "I'm here, Remy. Remember me? I'm Scott."

Large eyes studied him and Scott swallowed hard. Remy's emotions surrounded him and he shared everything; the pain, fear, anger and hope. "Yeah, that's it. Just listen to me. You remember me, don't you? Hey, say something. Talk to me."

Remy's eyes narrowed. I'm losing him! What did I do wrong? Damn, he's... Remy, stop struggling! Remy fought against the restraints and the rage in the alien eyes simmered. "Remy, we had to restrain you for your own safety. Once you're feeling better, we'll release you."

But Remy retaliated ruthlessly. These people had tied him down and he couldn't deal with being restrained. Lashing out, he howled loudly, pulled at the restraints and charged them.

"Scott, get out of the way!" Warren realized the danger. Remy was charging the restraints and the exam table. The explosion would probably knock out the Cajun and Scott as well, if the other man didn't get away in time.


Scott moved quickly and flung himself onto the floor. A violent explosion rocked the exam table. Remy's scream no longer resembled the scream of a human, but that of a trapped animal in pain.

Remy lashed out at everyone present, catapulting his pain and rage into their minds. At the same time, he managed to undo the shredded restraints. He struggled to his feet, frantically searching for a way out. Feeling claustrophobic, all he could think about was getting into the open and he would kill anyone who got in his way. Suddenly, a man blocked his path. An angry hiss left his lips and he lunged for his enemy, but the other man was faster.

Scott quickly grabbed Remy's wrists and used his body weight to throw the other man onto the floor. Straddling the Cajun's hips, he stared into dilated pupils. He had deluded himself. Remy didn't know who he was. "Remy, please..."

Remy tried to drown his enemy in his emotions, sending him pain and fear, but the other man merely flinched and shook it off.

"Remy, don't. Look at me, listen to me," Scott was begging by now. He still had a firm hold on Remy's wrists and although the Cajun tried to get away, he managed to keep him in place. "Remy, I... Maybe this will do the trick." He blatantly ignored Warren's surprised gasps as he bent down and kissed Remy. Brushing the Cajun's lips, he forced them apart. Remy froze beneath him, never expecting this move. Scott deepened the kiss, entered Remy's mouth and challenged the other man's tongue to a duel.

Come on, Remy. You know me. It's Scott! I helped you face Hugo. You helped me deal with Jean's death. You're stronger than Creed. You'll find a way to beat him. Please, Remy, acknowledge me... say my name. Scott looked into Remy's eyes, hoping to see recognition in the burning orbs. "Please Remy."

As Remy finally spoke, his voice sounded raw and unused. "S-scot-t?" he stuttered.

"Yeah, it's me, Scott..." Smiling brightly, he loosened his hold on Remy. "I knew you could to it, Re..." He never got the chance to finish his sentence as Remy viciously kicked him in the gut. The Cajun immediately followed up by reaching for his throat, but luckily Hank and Warren intervened, pulling Remy away from him. "Shit, I really thought..."

Charles joined Scott and consoled him. "You did manage to get through to him. Next time we have to work on something more... permanent."

Disillusioned, Scott watched Hank and Warren strap Remy back to the exam table. "This isn't going to work, sir..."

Charles moistened his lips. Yes, you're right, Scott, he thought privately. We need help... We need Sinister.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 5

Revelations

Warren was relieved that they finally had Remy restrained to the exam table. It helped that Hank had administered more of the sedative and Remy was finally calming down. The alien eyes closed as the Cajun sank into unconsciousness. Looking at Scott, he saw a similar relief on his friend's face. Now he finally knew what had been eluding him all this time. Scott's concern, his affection for Remy finally made sense. "You're in love with him," Warren whispered.

Scott flinched, hearing Warren's words. "Yeah, I am. Don't know why or when it happened; it just did."

Warren felt torn. Jean had only been dead for half a year and Scott was already kissing someone else. Oh, man, I still can't believe Scott kissed Remy! He had blinked his eyes when Scott had brushed the Cajun's lips, sure he was suffering from hallucinations, but when he had opened them again, the scene hadn't changed. "Scott, I don't know what to say..."

Hank had listened quietly, exchanging a glance with the professor. He knew about this. The professor wasn't surprised at all. One part of him felt happy for Scott, but another part wondered if it wasn't too soon to love again.

"I know what you're thinking," Scott said, as he looked at Hank and Warren. "I'm the first to admit it's too soon. I never planned on falling in love with him; it took me by surprise. Jean hasn't been gone for long and... I didn't want to admit to myself that I'm in love with Remy. It took a lot to face my feelings... Luckily, Jean left some recorded messages and she told me she wanted me to love again. Knowing I have her blessing let me admit my feelings to myself. But I'll understand if you don't see it my way..." Scott looked away, awaiting their judgment.

Warren saw the warm expression in the professor's eyes. Charles approved of Scott's decision and it made him reconsider his initial reaction. "Jean left recorded messages?"

"Yeah, they're... rather personal," Scott said reluctantly. "But..." he hesitated, "she told me that Remy's in love with me as well. Her telepathy picked up on his feelings when he returned from Antarctica. Remy never made a move on me, because he respected our marriage, but now that Jean's gone..."

Hank took a step closer to Scott and placed his large, furry hand on his friend's shoulder. "Jean was a great lady and I'm sure she knew what she was doing when she recorded those messages. She would want you to be happy and our poor Acadian friend certainly deserves a break as well. But you have your work cut out... The way Remy is now, he..." Feeling suddenly very emotional, he swallowed hard. "We'll help Remy... we'll find a solution."

Scott smiled weakly. "Thanks, Hank. I knew you'd back me up." In spite of his words, he hadn't been that confident Hank that would support him. Looking at Warren, he watched the play of emotions on the other man's face. "What about you, Warren?"

"I'm still processing," Warren admitted. "It's unexpected. I never knew..." He looked at Remy, who was still struggling weakly against the restraints. "I never knew you liked men in that way." He shrugged his shoulders, trying to appear calm and in control.

"I never knew myself," Scott confessed. "It took me some time to figure out my feelings."

Warren frowned. "I don't know how I feel about this, Scott, but I won't cause any problems. You’ve already got more trouble than you bargained for. Give me some time to get used to this."

"Sure, Warren." Scott looked toward Charles for instructions. "What do we do now? Reaching out and talking to Remy didn't work."

"Maybe we need someone Remy trusts unconditionally." Charles still hoped Sinister would get in touch with him.

"Who are you thinking about?" Scott's hope, which had been burning low, flared. "Do you have a plan?"

Yes, Charles thought privately, shielding his thoughts from the others. But I can't tell you that it involves asking Sinister to help us out. Charles considered Scott's question and nodded his head, recalling Sinister had disguised himself as Jean-Luc LeBeau to gain Remy's trust before. "I'll try to contact Jean-Luc LeBeau in New Orleans. Maybe seeing his father will convince Remy to trust us as well."

"Do you think he'll come? Isn't he in charge of the Thieves Guild?" Scott hoped the Cajun would abandon his duties in favor of Remy.

"We must try to convince him," Charles said firmly and steered his hoverchair toward the exit. "Scott, stay here and talk to Remy. Let him get used to your voice again. Henry, keep a close eye on our patient." Charles left the med lab, determined to use Cerebro to reach out to Sinister again.

///

"Now what?" Logan cursed beneath his breath. Creed's changed scent was throwing him off the track and he had lost the scent twice already. "He never used aftershave before..." It was messing with his senses.

Sneaking closer to the diner, he peeked inside and hissed, seeing Creed behind the counter. Behind the counter? What the hell's goin' on? This makes no sense! Creed also sported a new hair cut, cleanly shaven face and he wearing a flannel shirt and jeans. Staring at the man's hands, Logan realized that Creed had also visited a manicurist. His claws were shorter than they had ever been and almost resembled normal fingernails. Stunned, he shook his head.

It's Creed and yet... it ain' him... The bloodlust was gone from Creed's eyes and the maniac was actually flirting with a waitress! What do I do?

///

Sinister, I know you can hear me! Damn it, answer me! Remy needs your help. Last time he was in trouble you cared enough to help him. It's even worse now and he really needs your help to pull him through! If you really care about him, you'll answer me! Charles was getting frustrated, even angry. Sinister, answer me!

I heard you, Xavier! How did Remy get hurt this time? I warned you!

Charles sighed, relieved. Why didn't you answer sooner?

I was busy. Now tell me what happened. It infuriated him that Xavier had let Remy get hurt again. He was in the middle of an important experiment and Xavier's call had interrupted his work. After listening to Xavier rave for some time he had been irritated enough to react. Now that Remy wasn't close he wasn't particularly interested in the Cajun's health, but this would change once he was near the empath. It had baffled him repeatedly how his demeanor changed once he was close to his son. When Remy was close, he felt concerned for his son's well being, but once they were separated, he didn't really care. Giving in to the inevitable, he listened to Xavier who was trying to explain what had happened to Remy.

Creed did this to Remy? He had listened to Xavier's explanation with growing disbelief. He had warned Creed to stay away from Remy! And Remy's now possessed by Creed's animalistic urges?

He attacked us. Remy doesn't know what he's doing. Creed's instincts are guiding him.

Where's Creed? He should have taken Creed out a long time ago. Shielding his thoughts, he recalled what had happened in the past. Creed sexually assaulted Remy when he was healing and Creed has continued to target Remy. Why didn't I act sooner? First, I'll check on Remy and then I'm going to take Creed out of the game.

The last time you helped Remy by disguising yourself as Jean-Luc LeBeau... Charles mused. It might work this time as well. I planned to call Jean-Luc and ask him to come to Westchester if I couldn’t reach you, but you're my first choice. Being a telepath as well you know how to handle this. Charles hesitated to speak his next words, but he did, hoping it would convince Sinister to act for the benefit of his son. You might be his last chance.

I'll come in the guise of Jean-Luc LeBeau. It would take the real Jean-Luc at least a few hours to make the trip from New Orleans to Westchester so expect me in a few hours. In the meantime, you'll tell me exactly what happened to Remy.

Satisfied that he had attained his goal, Charles began updating Sinister.

///

"Scott?" Warren hesitantly approached his friend. "You look tired and Hank says it's okay for you to get some sleep as long as I wake you every three hours. There's nothing you can do, why don't you stretch out and get some rest?" Understanding the gentleness to Scott's touch as his friend stroked Remy's locks, Warren moistened his lips. "You know, I've been thinking..."

Scott smiled. "And what did you come up with?" He was confident that Warren would stay his friend, now that the other man hadn't turned away from him in disgust after finding out about his attraction to Remy. But he expected a more fierce reaction when the women on the team found out. Rogue certainly wasn't going to take this well.

"It's true, I never expected it, but... like Jean I want you to be happy and if Remy does the trick... I can't say I truly accept this, but I think I will, given some time." Warren smiled warmly. "Does Remy know?"

"Not yet."

"He looked flabbergasted when you kissed him, shook me up too, but maybe you should continue down that road. Maybe it will eventually strike him that you love him." Warren began to walk away, but Scott's voice made him stop.

"Thanks, Warren. It means a lot to me that you don't condemn me for being in love with Remy. I know you loved Jean as well and I still miss her every day, every minute, but Remy makes it bearable. He gave me a reason to hang in there and to not give up." Scott nodded his head. "I really mean it, thanks."

Warren nodded once and then walked over to Hank's office, giving the two men some privacy. "Any news?"

Hank looked up from the screen. "I'm afraid not, my friend. Remy's condition hasn't changed. Let's hope Logan finds Creed." Hank pretended to go back to typing, but eyed Warren closely. "What did you talk about just now?"

"Remy... I still can't believe Slim's in love with a guy!" Warren collapsed on the chair in front of Hank's desk. "I never saw it coming. I'm not homophobic, you know... if I were, Bobby wouldn't be my best friend." Bobby had come out a year before and after digesting the news, he hadn't seen any reason to end his friendship with Bobby. They were still best friends.

"Is it because of Jean?" Hank asked, abandoning his typing and leaning back in his chair.

Warren shrugged his shoulders. "I expected Scott to be crushed when she died. I thought he would mourn her death for the rest of his life. They seemed so close, so..." Warren failed to find the right words. "But I'll be okay with it. I just need a little time."

"What about Rogue?" Hank looked at Scott, who was talking softly to Remy. The Cajun was still unconscious.

"I really don't care about Rogue. She began dating Joe right after Remy's presumed death. She has no right to condemn them for being in love." Warren suddenly felt better, more at ease with the fact that Scott had chosen Remy as his new lover. "They might even work out."

"If we find a way to restore Remy's mind to its former state," Hank warned. "Did you hear from Logan?"

"Nothing. Maybe the professor knows?" Warren crossed his arms in front of his chest. "I hate not knowing what we're up against."

"I need to check on Remy." Hank rose from his chair, but stopped briefly as he stood next to Warren. "The professor will find a solution."

Warren nodded his head. "I hope you're right. I wonder if Logan's making progress."

///

Logan entered the diner and stalked toward the counter. Creed was helping some customers, who were paying their bills. Searching out the other man's eyes, he frowned. Creed's eyes were clear and free of rage.

"What will it be? Coffee? The apple pie is a hit," Creed said, watching the stranger closely. The man seemed familiar, but he couldn't put a name with the face.

Logan stayed alert, not buying Creed's act. It had to be an act! "Coffee, black."

Creed poured the steamy liquid into the mug and placed it in front of his customer. The hair at the back of his neck was standing rigid and he fought the urge to run. Did he know this man? Were they enemies? "So what brings ya to town?"

"Jus' passin' through," Logan whispered, sipping his coffee. "How 'bout ya? Been here for a long time?"

"Just arrived myself," Creed said, evasively. "Want somethin' to eat?"

"No thanks..." Logan considered his game plan. Taking out Creed here and now would attract unnecessary attention. He had to wait until Creed had finished his shift and left the diner.

He paid for his coffee and watched Creed help another customer. I can't believe this is Creed! Charlie was right about the amnesia. Creed almost seems normal! How fuckin' amazin' is that? The bastard looks and acts normal, like he never slaughtered his victims!

Logan felt Creed's eyes on him as he left the diner. He would lay low and wait for Creed to leave the establishment and then he would take his target out. Concentrating, he tried to reach out to Xavier. Professor?

Yes? Did you find Creed? Where are you? Are you on your way back to Westchester?

Things must have gotten worse for Xavier to be rambling. Yeah, I located Creed and yer right. He ain't actin' normal. He's workin' at a diner, and has even changed his appearance. I bet he had his first haircut in years!

Don't lose his trail and take him to the mansion as quickly as possible, Charles instructed.

How's the Cajun? Logan watched every move Creed made from his hiding place. Creed was slipping into his coat and it looked like his shift had ended.

Remy's condition remains unchanged. He attacked Scott again, scratched Warren's face open and we had to restrain and sedate him again.

Creed's 'bout to leave, Logan informed Xavier. I'll check in with ya later.

Take him alive, Logan. A dead Creed is of no use to us.

Understood. Logan left his hiding place and followed Creed down the street. He had parked Scott's car around the corner and he planned to take Creed out quickly and then stuff him into the back of the car.

///

"Sir?" Scott looked up, an expression of hope flashed across his features.

"Logan has located Creed." Charles moved his hoverchair closer to the exam bed. "And I also contacted Jean-Luc LeBeau." He didn't want to lie to Scott, but couldn't tell him the truth either. Scott would never allow Sinister close. "He promised to come to Westchester. I expect him in a few hours."

Scott looked thoughtfully. "Sir, do you really think we still have a chance to reclaim Remy?"

"Yes, Scott. You need to have faith." Charles considered telling Scott to rest, but decided against it, sensing the other man's concern. Scott wanted to be close to Remy to help in case something went wrong. "Hank and Warren are around to help, if you need any."

"Thank you, sir." Scott concentrated on Remy again and claimed the Cajun's right hand. Remy's fingers instantly curled around his, tightly. "Everything will be all right, Remy, I promise."

///

Creed frowned. Something felt wrong. Was someone following him? That man at the diner had distressed him, but he didn't know why. His inner alarms had kicked in and he had been ready to leave in a hurry, but he had forced himself to stay calm. He didn't know why he felt paranoid, but he did.

Looking over his shoulder, he could have sworn that the nightly shadows had taken on human form. Someone's followin' me. He sped up, and barely kept from running. Why? Why's someone followin' me? Is it that stranger? Why would he target me? Target? Why did I use that word and... Argh! Someone tackled him, grabbing him by his knees and throwing him onto the concrete.

"Lemme go!" Creed kicked and tried to fight off his attacker and was surprised when he managed to throw the other man off. He hadn't know he was this strong! Rising to his full length, he glared at the shorter man who was back on his feet. "Whadda ya want? My money?"

Logan growled. "Don't play games with me, bub. Ya know what I want!"

"I don't! I don't even know you! Why did ya attack me?" Creed backed away from his attacker. "Why?"

"Stop playin' games, Creed!" Logan sneaked up on his target. "Yer comin' with me. If necessary I'll carry yer sorry ass back to Westchester!"

He froze in his tracks. "What did ya call me?"

"Creed, yer fuckin' name's Creed! Don't tell me ya forgot, 'cause I won't believe ya!" Logan took another step, backing Creed up in the corner. "Ya hurt a buddy of mine real bad, and yer comin' with me to help us undo the damage. What did ya do to Gumbo? And why are ya so calm and..." But Creed was still staring at him, motionless.

"Creed? Is that my name? Creed?" The name released vague memories, which he didn't understand. They were a big, blurry mess and he shook his head to clear it. "I ain't goin' with ya. I'm goin' home to catch some sleep. I got the early shift tomorrow."

Suddenly, the absurdity of the situation got to Logan and he laughed, hard. Creed made no sense. "I don't have time for this, Creed." Moving faster than the eye could see, Logan's fist connected with Creed's jaw. Creed went down and Logan grabbed him at the waist, dragging him toward the car, where he opened the trunk and uncovered some rope. Within seconds, he had tied Creed up and pushed him onto the back seat.

"Way too easy... Creed would never let me get away with such a sloppy attack. He could have easily fought me off. It was like he didn't see the punch comin'." Maybe the professor was right and Creed no longer felt this insane bloodlust. "Chuck will have to figure that one out. I'm doin' my job and that's takin' him to Westchester."

After making sure that Creed was out cold and tied tightly, Logan slipped behind the steering wheel and turned the car around. "Way too easy!"

///

Sinister morphed into Jean-Luc LeBeau and stepped into the car, which was parked near the mansion. He realized that he had to act like LeBeau in every sense of the word. Although he could have used a tesseract to travel to the mansion, his arrival would have stirred too many questions. So he had to arrive the old-fashioned way, by car.

He hadn't driven a car for a long time, but hadn't lost his skills. During his career, he had often pretended being someone else and he had acquired several 'human' skills over the years.

Driving up to the security camera, he waited for the X-Men to contact him. At first, he didn't recognize the voice that was speaking to him, but then he realized it was Warren Worthington, Archangel. "I'm Jean-Luc LeBeau, here to visit mon fils, Remy." Slipping into Jean-Luc's hide had become second nature by now. Remy had never seen through the pretence, so he reckoned he was doing a fine job impersonating the Cajun.

"The professor's already waiting for you," Warren said. He had used an excuse to relieve Joseph from monitor duty. The professor wanted to keep the Cajun's arrival low profile. As he opened the gates, Warren recalled the scene he had witnessed in the medlab several months before. Back then he had seen Jean-Luc LeBeau morph into Sinister. Later, he had realized why Charles had allowed it; as Jean-Luc, Sinister had been able to talk Remy into lowering his shields. So is this the real Jean-Luc LeBeau or Sinister in disguise? Feeling apprehensive, he watched the car drive up to the mansion. Using the com system, he informed Charles of the new arrival. I'd better stay close... in case I just admitted Sinister inside our walls.

///

"Scott? Jean-Luc's here. We should talk to him before he sees Remy." Like Sinister, Charles realized the importance of acting normally. They couldn't raise any suspicion.

"Does he know what happened to Remy?" Scott was tired after keeping this vigil at Remy's bed for all these hours. He rubbed his forehead and slowly rose to his feet. His head still hurt, but Hank had insisted he take some painkillers, taking the edge of the pain.

"Yes, I told him on the phone, but seeing Remy like this will hit him hard. We need to support each other." Charles smiled reassuringly. "Logan has caught Creed and is on his way back home. Once Creed's here we can start reversing the progress." That is if Sinister can gain Remy's trust. He didn't send Scott that last thought, keeping his musings private.

The lab door opened and Scott's gaze traveled from Remy to Jean-Luc LeBeau. He had never met the Patriarch of the New Orleans' Thieves Guild and felt slightly nervous.

Sinister stayed calm and in control, as a wave of fierce emotions swept over him. Bloody empathy! Even in his current state Remy's capable of making me feel again! I knew this would happen. Damn it, Creed, you're going to pay for hurting my son... again! Overcome by a sudden desire to protect his son, he marched toward the exam table and rested his right hand on Remy's brow, ignoring Summers. Forcing himself to act his part, he whispered, "What did dey do to you, petit?"

Remy stirred beneath his hands and his eyelids fluttered. Frowning, he saw the collar around Remy's neck and infuriated he was about to turn around and face the X-Men, to question them about the collar when a distressing thought hit him. Remy's collared... his empathy is switched off. He isn't influencing me... why am I still reacting this intensely?

Puzzled, he looked at the sleeping young man. Does our connection go deeper than I ever suspected? Did you unleash something the first time you touched my mind, using your empathy? What if I'm feeling protective because you're my son? Is this genetic? Did you subconsciously 'program' me to protect you? Did you want me as your father without knowing it yourself?

"Sir?" Scott rose from his chair, closely studying the other man's expression. His father had never shown much emotion where his sons were concerned, but he read obvious concern in Jean-Luc's dark eyes. "I'm sorry about what happened to Remy. We didn't know Creed was sneaking around or we would have kept a close eye on him." He didn't know why he felt the necessity to apologize, but he did.

His rage almost got the better of Sinister. I'm to blame as well. I knew there was bad blood between Creed and Remy and I didn't act, but I won't make the same mistake twice. Forcing himself to act his part, he addressed Scott. "Discussin' who's to blame won’ help Remy. We need to find Creed and reverse de process."

Awed, Charles looked at Sinister. The scientist played his part perfectly. How many years had Sinister watched Jean-Luc LeBeau to perfect his performance? "Logan located Creed and they're on their way back home. I expect them in a few hours."

"Stop feedin' him de sedative," Sinister instructed, trying hard to not sound too authoritative. He didn't want them to grow suspicious. "I want mon fils to wake up."

Scott drew in a deep breath. "The last time he woke up it took three of us to keep him under control."

"Dis time will be different," Sinister whispered. He would use this bond between him and his son to connect with Remy. He was experienced enough to manipulate Remy's thoughts and feelings to gain his trust. "Give de order, Xavier."

Charles told Hank to stop administering the sedative. Hank obeyed, although reluctantly. "How long before he wakes up?"

"I estimate an hour, maybe a little longer." Hank exchanged a concerned look with Warren, as Worthington entered the medlab. Something in Warren's eyes spoke of suspicion and he eyed Jean-Luc wearily, like he didn't trust the Cajun. Hank decided to keep his thoughts to himself.

Sinister pulled up another chair and sat down beside Remy's bed. Surprised, he noticed that Scott had done the same thing. Curiously, he watched as Scott claimed Remy's hand to caress the long, agile fingers. "Is dere somethin' I should know?" The question slipped from his lips unintended, but this had him baffled. He knew that Jean had died and pitied the loss of her genetic material, but luckily he still had some of her tissue samples in his lab and he could continue his experiments.

Scott turned his head away from the other man. He hadn't planned on revealing his feelings for Remy this soon, but he had acted instinctively by reaching for Remy's hand. "I didn't want you to find out this way, sir."

"Find out what?" Sinister leaned in closer. As he studied Summers' face, he tentatively probed Remy's mind.

"I've developed feelings for your son." He bit his bottom lip. I don't even know if Remy wants his father to know and... what if Jean-Luc LeBeau doesn't want a male lover for his son? I'd understand, considering Remy's history on the streets.

Stunned, Sinister almost slipped, but he quickly recomposed himself. Briefly, he had wanted to morph back to his original shape and to question Summers about this development, but as Jean-Luc he had to act differently. "You're in love wit' mon fils?" This was new information; none of his spies had picked up on this one!

"I only found out for myself recently," Scott said, apologetically. "Remy doesn't know yet."

Sinister leaned back in his chair. One revelation quickly followed another. "Remy loves you too? How can you be sure?"

Scott felt hesitant to tell the other man about Jean's recorded messages. "I just know."

Remy and Scott Summers? Sinister didn't know what to think of this one. If one of them had been female, their offspring would have been extremely powerful mutants! Their children would have greatly contributed to his gene pool. It was a pity that both were men!

"Does this bother you?" Scott didn't know how to interpret the other man's silence. Jean-Luc's face didn't reveal much, except for the concern that had been there to begin with.

Sinister managed to act calmly. "I ain' sure, mais we'll see what happens in de future. De only t'ing dat matters now is dat we help Remy recover." It would take Logan and Creed a few hours to get here, which gave him time to gain Remy's trust. The Cajun would wake up in an hour and then he could test his credibility as Jean-Luc LeBeau. Hopefully Remy wouldn’t see through his disguise.

///

Struggling through a slimy dark mass, he finally reached the surface. He gasped for breath, and pulled at the restraints that were back in place. After releasing an enraged growl, he opened his eyes, but quickly closed them again as the bright lights burned his retina. They had tied him down again and he struggled against the bonds.

"Remy, mon fils, listen to me. You trust me, don' you, petit?" Sinister tried to sound calm and hoped his voice carried a warm tone. Addressing Warren, who had been staring at him since his arrival, he asked the X-Man to turn down the lights.

Warren reluctantly obeyed after Charles had nodded his approval. He still didn't trust their visitor. There was a chance that one of their biggest enemies had found a way in.

"Is dis betta? Trust me, open your eyes." Sinister carefully monitored Remy's reactions. Soft growls left the younger man's throat and he was trying to rip the restraints apart. "It doesn' work dis way, mon fils." Collared, Remy couldn't charge his restraints and his helplessness urged Sinister to speak again. "Open your eyes, mon fils and look at me. You know me..."

The soothing, calm voice made him open his eyes and Remy gasped, recognizing the face of the only man who had ever loved him unconditionally. Jean-Luc's features were deeply embedded in his memory and not even Creed's personality had changed that. "Pop...pa?"

"Oui, it's me, Remy." Sinister felt Charles' relief. Looking at the professor, he realized why Charles had been so desperate to talk to him.

Remy's eyes were glued to Jean-Luc's, unable to comprehend why his father was here. He had always felt safe with Jean-Luc and although a dark rage burned inside his soul, he trusted his father to look after him. "What's... w-wrong w-wit' me?"

Scott released a relieved sigh. At last, Remy recognized someone and the Cajun was more coherent than before. He was still holding Remy's hand and held his breath as red on black eyes fastened on him. A series of soft growls left Remy's lips and the Cajun tried pulling back his hand, but the restraints limited his actions.

"Remy, mon fils, he's a friend." His own tone baffled him. When had he started to truly care about Remy, whom he had always seen as just another experiment? And what did this say about Apocalypse's powers? Somehow Remy had made him care again.

Remy hardly dared to let go of his father's familiar eyes, but briefly peeked at Scott's. The growls changed into soft whimpers and he cocked his head, trying to get a better look at Scott. His father was at his side and wouldn't leave him, so he felt safe enough to look away, focusing on feeling his father's fingers caress his hair. The other man looked familiar as well and warmth moved through his mind.

Encouraged, Scott tried again. "Do you remember me, Remy? My name's Scott and we're very good friends." This time Remy's eyes widened, showing curiosity. "Actually, I think we're more than good friends. I... I'm in love with you." Speaking the words actually calmed him. Remy suddenly squeezed his hand, gently, and the whimpering stopped. "Remy, I know you're still in there. You've got to trust us. We're trying to help you."

Remy's gaze traveled back to his father, seeking confirmation.

Seeing the expression in Remy's eyes, Sinister gave in. "He's speakin' de trut', mon fils." He briefly made eye contact with Xavier, signaling that he was pleased with the progress they were making. It's working. He trusts me and he's beginning to trust Summers as well.

Excellent. Charles closed his eyes, establishing contact with Logan. How much longer before you reach the mansion?

Logan cursed softly, as Charles' mind voice disturbed his concentration. Two more hours...

How's Creed?

Unconscious in the back of my car, Logan said, informing Xavier. How's the Cajun?

His father, Jean-Luc LeBeau, has arrived and has gained Remy's trust. Remy's still restrained, but shows no signs of wanting to attack us. I'll contact you again in two hours. Charles terminated the contact and concentrated on Remy again. Suddenly, he noticed the suspicious expression in Warren's eyes. His student's mind was wide open and he gently probed his thoughts, never probing too deeply.

"Everyt'in' will be bien, Remy, your poppa makes you dat promise." Sinister looked up, feeling Xavier probe Warren's mind.

"Poppa... poppa... help me!" Remy's eyes filled with tears and they dripped down his face. Pleadingly he stared at the older man, remembering that his father had saved his life and his sanity before.

Sinister stopped probing Xavier's mind and concentrated on the distressed young man. As he moved to wipe away Remy's tears, he found that Scott had moved faster. Scott was already wiping away the tears and crooning softly, reassuring Remy now that the Cajun accepted him close.

Charles however, gasped. My God, Warren knows! He saw Sinister morph after he helped Remy lower his barriers! Warren knows the truth!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 6

Whole again

Creed stirred in the back seat and Logan gritted his teeth. Using the rearview mirror, he kept a close eye on his passenger. Creed looked confused and only reacted slowly; he wasn't struggling to free himself of his bonds. Creed merely looked stunned, trying to figure out why he was tied like this. Suddenly, their eyes met and Creed flinched. Puzzled, Logan wondered what was going on in Creed's head.

"Why did ya tie me down? Whadda ya want from me, man?" Creed sat motionless, not even trying to rip the rope apart. Intimidated, he averted his eyes. "Why are ya doin' this to me?"

Logan licked his lips, uncertain what to reply. "Why did ya hurt Gumbo?" Creed's brow grew furrowed, as if he was trying to drag up forgotten memories.

"Gumbo? I don't know anyone called Gumbo."

"Gambit, Remy LeBeau! What did ya do to him? When I entered that cave he tried to attack me!" Creed's eyes had widened and Logan cocked his head, alert and ready to react in case Creed turned violent.

The name unleashed something. Suddenly, he recalled being in that cave and another man had been there as well. He'd had auburn hair and the most curious eyes; red on black. He shivered, pushing those memories away.

"Ya remember, don't ya?" Logan hissed the words. "Whad’d ya do to him?"

Creed decided not to answer any questions. Instead, he wanted to ask some of his own. "Where are ya takin' me?"

"Back to the mansion and don't think ya can gimme the slip. Gambit's in trouble and I'm gonna make sure ya make it to Westchester." Logan bared his teeth, trying to intimidate Creed further. "Sit there quietly and don't gimme any trouble or ya might regret it."

Creed, puzzled, tried to make sense of what was happening. According to this stranger, he had hurt the man with the red on black eyes. What did I do and why did I do it? I don't remember a thing! A sickening sensation in the pit of his stomach made him close his eyes. He couldn't remember ever feeling like this.

///

Sinister was still sitting at Remy's bedside, holding his son's hand. Every so often, Warren approached them and gave him a wary look. Charles had excused himself and had left the medlab. Hank was in his office, working on his research. They were waiting for Logan and Creed to arrive and in the meantime there was little they could do. Scott had fallen asleep in his chair and Sinister now focused on Warren, who stood in front of him.

Warren decided on the direct approach. "I saw you change back after Remy released his depression."

"What are you talkin' 'bout, homme?" Sinister acted carefully, unsure how much Warren knew.

"You can stop pretending to be Jean-Luc LeBeau. I know who you really are... Sinister." Warren's eyes hardened, fully aware of the risk he was taking.

Sinister cocked his head, trying to figure out Warren's game plane. "I don' know what you're talkin' 'bout."

Warren laughed, mockingly. "You can pretend all you want, but I know the truth. Why are you doing this? I thought you hated Remy's guts. After all, you set him up when he led the Marauders into the Morlock tunnels. And now you're here, pretending you care?"

Sinister's pupils deepened and briefly red replaced Jean-Luc's eyes, revealing his true nature. "Don't get involved in this." The warning was icy cold, telling Warren to butt out.

"I knew it!" The red eyes had given Sinister away and Warren prepared himself for the worst possible scenario. "I want you to step away from Remy."

Sinister shook his head. "You have no idea what's really going on. Cross me and you'll regret it, Worthington."

Mystified, Warren backed away from Sinister, knowing how powerful the other mutant was. "Why? Why is Remy this important to you? Why are you acting like you care? You lost the ability to feel..."

Their conversation was distressing Remy, who began to move restlessly. The young Cajun was still restrained and Sinister acted at once, using his own telepathy to soothe his son's anguish. Remy calmed down again and Sinister glared at Warren. His eyes were Jean-Luc's again.

Warren was still missing a piece of the puzzle and was determined to solve the riddle. "I'll keep my eye on you, Sinister..." Walking toward Hank's office, Warren considered everything he knew. I will figure this one out!

///

Sinister realized he had been found out, but he couldn't leave now. For some reason he was chained to Remy's side. He still hadn't figured it out completely, but right now his first priority was making sure Remy recovered and Creed was punished. Looking over at Scott, he felt relieved that the other man was still asleep. He didn't want them all to know who he really was. It was bad enough Warren knew.

Feeling trapped, he looked at their joined hands. Remy's fingers were tightly curled around his, holding on to him. Unwanted memories of his firstborn son returned to him. The child had died at a young age and he had tried to revive the boy. Was this his second chance?

We need to talk, Charles sent as his hoverchair reached the exam table Remy was resting on.

Startled, Sinister looked over his shoulder. He was slipping; he hadn't heard Xavier approach. Worthington knows my real identity. Do something about it. Once he tells the others I can no longer help Remy.

I plan to do just that, but... how much do I tell him? What do I say if he wants to know why Remy's this important to you? I doubt he'll believe it's because Remy's one of your experiments. Your concern is real to everyone. Finding out that Sinister truly cared about Remy had baffled even him. Didn't Apocalypse take away your feelings?

Yes, he did, Sinister replied thoughtfully. I can't explain it either. Recalling Xavier's original question, he sent, I don't want Worthington to know that Remy's my son. Make something up, I don't care.

I'll do my best, Charles promised, steering his hoverchair to the office where Warren and Henry were drinking coffee. Let me handle this.

Sinister once more focused on Remy, who was still sound asleep, even without being sedated. Creed will be here in a few minutes and then we'll reverse the process, Remy. And once you're sane again I'll make sure Creed pays for what he did to you.

///

"Turn right, Creed." Logan was guiding Creed through the corridors. They were on their way to the medlab and Logan remained alert. He still expected Creed to pull something on him. Creed's hands were tied behind his back and he wondered why Creed hadn't torn the rope apart yet. It would be easy for Creed to break free. He still didn't believe the amnesia story. Creed was a good actor when it suited the maniac best. "Are yer memories already comin' back?"

Creed flinched. Yes, they were, but he had no desire to share them with the other man. The memories resembled nightmares, showing him his victims, which he had slowly tortured to death. Others he had killed quickly. I don't want to remember...

Professor? We're here, Logan informed Xavier.

Excellent.

The med lab doors opened and Logan pushed Creed inside. "Get movin'."

Creed's eyes grew big, seeing the restrained form on the exam table. Auburn hair... and as the eyes opened, he recognized them. Red on black...

"No!" Collapsing on his knees, he ripped the rope apart and clutched his head in his hands. "No..." The memories rushed back, and he staggered on his knees, reeling under their impact. He remembered everything; his parents, his father who made him eat the rabbits that had become his friends. He remembered killing his parents when the bloodlust had overwhelmed him... Birdie... and his plan to force Remy to take her place... His plan had backfired.

Remy reacted violently, pulling at the restraints. The leather cut his skin and droplets of blood dripped down his wrists. He was in danger! Growling ominously, he tried to sit upright, but the restraints kept him back. Charging the restraints was impossible because he was still collared and his fear and rage increased.

"Remy, mon fils, look at me." Sinister reacted at once, blocking Remy's view of Creed.

Scott, who had startled awake, quickly left his chair and sat down on the side of the bed. "Listen to your father, Remy. We're here to protect you. You're safe, safe!"

Sinister reached out telepathically and managed to calm Remy down. The young Cajun was whimpering again and looked up at him pleadingly. "Your ordeal's almost over, mon fils."

Remy grabbed Scott's hand and nearly crushed it. Scott, growing pale, quickly tried to reassure Remy as well. "It's going to be okay. We need Creed in order to help you, Remy. I love you and I promise that everything will be just fine."

Charles, Warren and Hank joined them. Watching Creed closely, Charles cautiously probed Creed's mind, finding no rage at all. "Do you know what happened?"


Creed's face contorted. "I don't know what went wrong. I wanted him to take away the bloodlust, feel the glow 'gain... Birdie made me feel so good and..." Creed stared at Remy's burning orbs. "I don't want it back. I'm finally normal... I want to be normal. I don't want to be an insane maniac..."

"I'm afraid you don't have a choice," Charles said firmly. "These feral instincts are yours, not Remy's..." Creed started to protest, but Charles raised a hand to silence him. "In return for your cooperation I promise to help you find a way to control your instincts."

Creed shook his head. "I don't think so."

Sinister, who had been quiet until now, rose from his chair, but Remy was clinging to him and wouldn't let go of his hand so he couldn't advance on Creed. Standing next to the exam table, he stared into Creed's eyes.

Creed returned the stare, not recognizing the stranger. "What?"

"You'll cooperate or face me." Sinister was tempted to reveal himself to ensure Creed's cooperation, but couldn't; Remy still needed him.

"Make me..." Creed threatened.

"That can be arranged, bub," Logan grabbed Creed's wrists and forced them behind his back. Hank helped him restrain Creed and together, they dragged Creed closer to the exam table.

Fully awake, Remy stared at them. He sensed the danger, remembering Creed's ugly visage and the hurt the other man had inflicted on him.

"Don' struggle, mon fils," Sinister advised, squeezing his son's hand. After making eye contact with Charles, he nodded his head. Let's do this. I'll make sure Remy's walls are down.

Charles concentrated and sensed Creed's mental defenses, which were stronger than he had imagined. He hated invading Creed's mind against his will, but Remy's well being hung in the balance. I'm ready, he informed Sinister.

Logan didn't loosen his hold on Creed when the other men grew motionless. He had seen the professor work his powers before and knew from personal experience that Charles would release Creed from his mental hold once he had attained his goal and he wanted to be ready when Creed turned aggressive.

Sinister leaned in closer until his lips rested against Remy's ear. "Listen to me, mon fils. Trust your poppa and lemme in... I'll take care of you..." Remy's weakened barriers crumbled and Sinister pulled Remy's mind closer to his. I'm ready, Xavier. His barriers are down.

I'm ready as well. Creed isn't cooperating, but I'll manage. Let me take the lead.

Agreed, but I'll monitor everything closely. Sinister caught Warren's perplexed gaze, hoping the other man wouldn't figure out his connection to Remy.

Remy trembled violently when Charles initiated contact. Feeling Creed's mind again, he released a keening wail. He reached out for his father, but Jean-Luc seemed pre-occupied, not noticing his distress, so he turned to Scott. "W-whats... hap-penin'?"

"Let the professor do his job, Remy. They're reversing the process. Just hang in there and everything will be fine." Scott leaned in closer and cradled Remy's head in his hands. "We can undo the restraints shortly, Remy. Don't fight this." While squeezing Remy's right hand, his other hand tangled in the long auburn hair. "Yes, that's it," he crooned, seeing Remy's eyes widen.

Charles suddenly felt Sinister reach out as well, strengthening the temporary link. At first, he feared that Sinister had a hidden agenda, but when the scientist supported his effort to reverse the process, he accepted the help. He knew that Sinister was a telepath, but had never thought he was this powerful. Together, they completed the link.

"Remy? Mon fils, let go..." Sinister looked into Remy's startled eyes. Rubbing the inside of Remy's wrist, he guided the alien part of Remy’s personality down the link until Charles took over, pouring it into Creed's mind, where it belonged.

Creed reacted instantly, trying to free himself of the restraining hold. His eyes burned with rage and he howled loudly. "Lemme go! Take yer filthy hands off of me!"

"Logan!" Charles distanced himself from the link that still existed between Sinister and Remy. "Take Creed to one of the holding cells and make sure he doesn't escape. I'll talk to him later." He planned to honor the promise he had made; he would help Creed control his urges, but first he had to ensure Remy's safety.

Remy stared blindly at the ceiling. His breathing was labored and his hands were open; the claws and fists gone.

"Remy? Remy!" Scott didn't wait for Charles' permission to undo the restraints and freed the Cajun. "Hey, Remy, talk to me. Look at me, show me you're okay!" He enfolded Remy in his arms and gently pulled the Cajun into a sitting position. Remy's head came to rest on his shoulder and he tenderly rubbed the other man's back. "Remy?"

Remy shook briefly, then settled down again. His eyes focused on Jean-Luc and Charles. Warren was standing to his right, looking shell shocked. "What happened?"

Scott's sigh echoed through the room. "Thank God, I hoped it would work, but..." Pulling back, he managed to catch Remy's gaze. "You're back, Remy..."

"Back?" Remy frowned. "You'd betta start makin' sense, Cyke."

"What's de last t'ing you remember?" Sinister slowly released the hold he had on Remy's mind, realizing his son's memory showed dark holes.

Remy swallowed hard. "Creed knockin' me off de bike... den everyt'in' turns blurry. Why am I in de medlab? And poppa, what are you doin' here?" And why is Scott holdin' me?

Sinister exchanged a look with Charles and decided to tell Remy the truth. "You absorbed Creed's animal instincts."

A memory flared and Remy shivered. "I scratched his face..." Looking at Warren, he cringed, seeing the distinct marks on his face. "'Msorry," he mumbled, his face hidden against Scott's shoulder. "Didn'wannadodat..." His words were muffled, but the apology was evident. He felt weak and confused. If it hadn't been for Scott's closeness and acceptance he might have panicked.

"I t'ink it's safe to take de collar off," Sinister remarked, piqued that Remy ignored him and completely focused on Scott instead.

"Collar?" Remy's hands went to his neck, where he encountered the Genoshan collar. "Oui, please take if off."

Scott quickly removed it and concentrated on Remy again. The Cajun's breathing was irregular and shallow, his alien eyes draped and Remy was avoiding meeting his gaze. "Why don't you lie down?" He feared Remy might pass out after all.

But Remy's eyes had found his father's. "Poppa? What are you doin' here? Shouldn' you be in N'Arlings?" His eyes followed the hand that came to rest on his right arm. What was Jean-Luc doing here? "You always know when I need you... how?"

Sinister almost smiled, almost. "Your professor called me. I came as fast as I could, mon fils." The tide of feelings that washed over him utterly confused him. There was relief, happiness and even a twinge of loneliness and jealousy.

"Will you stay, poppa? Please stay a li'l longer..." Remy averted his eyes before making his next admission. "I need you..."

Privately, Sinister cursed the bond that existed between them. "Oui, I'll stay, mais not for long."

"I know, poppa, de Guild needs you." Remy felt drained and slowly lay down. Staring at the restraints, he shivered. He felt the welts around his wrists. They had restrained him! "'Mtired..."

"Then go to sleep, Remy. You father will still be here when you wake up again and so will I." Remy's eyes closed, but the Cajun never released his hand. "Yeah, that's it. Get some sleep and when you feel rested we're going to have a long talk."

Warren's eyes locked with Sinister's. He didn't know what to make of the scientist's behavior. After his talk with Charles, he had agreed to keep quiet and refrain from telling Remy the truth. He trusted Charles to make the right decisions; he only hoped Remy wouldn't be hurt again.

///

"I wanna go back to de boathouse now," Remy whispered, stubbornly. After learning what had happened these last few days, he was desperate to put some distance between himself and the other X-Men. Although Warren didn't seem angry about him scratching his face open, he didn't feel comfortable being this close to him. Maybe he should apologize again?

"A penny for your thoughts," Scott said, handing Remy a pair of jeans and a red shirt.

"Should I ‘pologize to Warren 'gain? I don' remember attackin' him... or you, mais I did and..." Remy bit his bottom lip, knowing he was babbling. He was still trying to come to terms with the fact that he had threatened his friends and he felt relieved that he didn't have any memories of these last few days. They were an almost complete blank, almost. The one thing he did remember was being restrained to the exam table and scratching Warren's face.

"He knows you didn't do it on purpose." Scott said, reassuringly. He stared at the bandaged wrists. The restraints had left welts, which hadn't closed completely yet. Except for the bandaged wrists, Remy looked like his normal self. But he's still recovering from the shock. He's just putting up a front... and I see right through it! And damn it, he forgot I kissed him! Now I have to take that first step again.

Remy disappeared into the bathroom to change his clothes. Staring into the mirror, he cringed. He had attacked his friends, had drawn blood. Why had it been so easy for Creed to get into his mind?

"Remy? Are you okay? Don't forget Jean-Luc is waiting for us at the boathouse."

"Oui, I remember," Remy whispered. He had not really believed his father when Jean-Luc had agreed to stay a little longer. The last few times his father had vanished on him. After slipping into clean clothes, he combed his hair and brushed his teeth. Feeling fairly decent again, he joined Scott only to find Hank standing next to the other man. "Henri?" When had Hank joined them? "I'm free to go, ain' I?"

"Yes, you are, but I want you to continue to rest." Hank had mixed feelings about letting Remy go. He really wanted to keep the Cajun in the medlab, but Scott had promised to look after Remy and he had given in. "No strenuous exercises, Remy."

Remy actually managed a smile, slipping into the sneakers Scott had brought. "I promise to behave, Henri." His skin grew hot, and he knew he was flushing bright red. He wasn't used to being fussed over and the experience made him feel warm and welcome.

"Scott? Ready to go?" He wanted to leave the medlab as quickly as possible and join Jean-Luc at the boathouse where they had some privacy.

"Yeah." Scott smiled reassuringly. He had tried to bring up Creed once before and Remy had completely shut down. Creed was the professor's problem right now. Logan was guarding the maniac and Xavier would doubtlessly try to help Creed. This no longer concerned Remy. The Cajun had suffered enough. "Let's go. We shouldn't keep your dad waiting."

Remy shrugged into the coat that Scott handed him. "Is it dat cold?"

"No, but I'm not taking any chances," Scott said, recalling Remy had been shivering lately.

Remy waved good-bye to Hank and shyly made eye contact with Warren, who had just stepped out of Hank's office. Remy mouthed 'Msorry' and then quickly exited the medlab. Warren didn't radiate any anger and Remy sighed, relieved. Maybe he could still make things up to the other man. Hopefully dere won' be any scars. I scratched his face pretty bad.

"Remy?" Scott pulled Remy into the correct direction when the Cajun absentmindedly took a wrong turn. "What are you thinking about?"

Remy shook his head. "Rien, not'in' important." He felt shy, realizing Scott had hung in there with him the entire time. Hank had told him that Scott had never left his side. Scott's devotion amazed him... and puzzled him. Maybe later he would get a chance to ask Scott why he was staying close.

A cold wind hit his skin and he quickly sped up, falling in step with Scott as they covered the distance to the boathouse. "Merci for de coat. It's cold after all."

"You're welcome, Remy." Scott stared at the sky, wondering how to bring up the kiss and his feelings. Maybe he should wait until Jean-Luc left? Some privacy would make things easier. "Would you like to have dinner with me tonight?" Scott gulped, realizing he had asked aloud. Stupid! He just went through something very traumatic and wants to be near his father!

Did Scott jus' ask me out? Remy stared at his shoes. Must be imaginin' t'ings... Peeking at Scott, he frowned. Was Scott really blushing? Did somet'in' happen dese last few days when... when Creed controlled me? Confused, he desperately tried to remember what had happened, but his mind remained blank.

"You don't have to," Scott said, quickly. "I'll understand perfectly if you want to spend time with your dad now that he's here."

He's scared I'll reject him! Fear of rejection clung to Scott and Remy blinked his eyes. "Non, Scott, I'd love to have dinner wit' you... I jus' didn' expect de invitation."

Scott glanced at Remy. He accepted the invitation... Swallowing hard, he barely restrained himself from folding an arm around Remy's form. These last few days he had done a lot of holding and comforting the Cajun and the instincts were still there, urging him to show his feelings, but he couldn't, not yet. First, he had to find out if Jean was right and if Remy really was attracted to him.

///

Sinister felt trapped inside the boathouse. Why had he promised to stay? I want Creed in my lab... want to punish him for what he did to my son! Maintaining this form didn't cause him any problems; he was more concerned that he would forget to use the accent.

Hearing voices, he walked to the front door and opened it. Scott and Remy were standing in front of him and his son was actually smiling at him. Remy flung himself at him and his son's arms buried him in a tight hug. He froze briefly, then forced himself to act as Jean-Luc would.

"Remy, mon fils, you look betta." Remy didn't release him and he started to feel uncomfortable. When had someone hugged him for the last time? My wife did... but she has been dead for so many centuries...

"Poppa, I missed you so bad... Can' believe you're here..." Remy's words were muffled, as he continued to cling to his father. "You're always dere for me when I need you most... merci."

A lump formed in Scott's throat. Remy only seemed to let go when Jean-Luc was close. I want him to trust me like that. I want to be there for him when he needs support. How can I convince him I'm serious? Well, telling him I've got feelings for him might be a good start.

Sinister cleared his throat and was relieved as Remy finally pulled back, loosening his hold. "Come, sit wit' me, mon fils. Tell me what's wrong." He guided Remy toward the couch and sat him down, ignoring Scott for now.

Scott closed the door and disappeared into the kitchen, realizing Remy and Jean-Luc needed some privacy and busied himself with preparing dinner.

Sinister observed Remy closely and frowned, seeing the bandaged wrists. "I never wanted you restrained."

"I know dat, poppa, mais you didn' have a choice, I understand." Remy smiled, blissfully. "I'm so glad you're here... I need you right now."

"Mais you've got Scott," Sinister said. He wouldn't stay much longer and wanted to soften the blow.

"Scott?" Remy's brow grew knitted. "I don' understand, poppa. Oui, Scott's a friend, mais..."

I can't believe I'm going to play matchmaker... Sinister sighed privately. But he needs to know there's someone he can rely on. I can't stay... I need to return to my research and... Revenge fantasies swept through mind. Creed was going to pay for hurting Remy!

"Poppa?" Confused, Remy looked over his shoulder at Scott, who was setting the table. It was a good thing Scott couldn't hear them.

"He's in love wit' you, petit. Why do you t'ink did he stay at your side?"

"Mais he loves Jean!"

"Jean's dead..." Sinister shook his head, hardly believing he was doing this. "Talk to Scott. Tell him how you feel and you'll find he feels de same way. Trust your poppa, Remy." He felt proud; not even Jean-Luc would have done a better job!

"Mebbe I should talk to Scott den?" Remy was reluctant to believe his father, but Jean-Luc had never lied to him.

Sinister nodded approvingly. "Do it now, Remy."

Remy rose from the couch, looking at his father for encouragement.

"Go on, you can do it, Remy." I'm driving him into Summers' arms... what am I doing? And why does it feel so right?

Remy was halfway to the kitchen when the phone rang. "I've got it!" he told them and picked up the phone. "Salut?"

"Remy! Mon fils! C'est bon to hear your voice! Sorry I didn' contact you any sooner, mais de Assassins been keepin' dis old man busy!"

Remy froze, forgot to breathe and his eyes nearly bulged from their sockets. "What?"

"Remy? Tante wants to say salut aussi, got a moment?"

"Non..." The phone slipped from his fingers and crashed onto the floor with a bang.

"Remy?" Alarmed, Scott hurried toward the Cajun. Remy looked deathly pale. "What happened? Who called?"

"Non... don' do dis to me..." Remy slowly turned about and stared at the man on the couch. "You ain' Jean-Luc LeBeau..." His father had just spoken to him on the phone and he had heard Mattie on the background, telling Jean-Luc to hand her the phone. "Who are you?" He grabbed Scott's arm to support himself. Shaking his head, he began to tremble as the intruder advanced on him. "Who are you?"

Scott had no idea what was going on, but he rested his hand at the small of Remy's back, lending the Cajun physical and emotional support.

His disguise was useless now and Sinister considered morphing back to his real form, but Remy's mind was still fragile... Facing this dilemma, he stood in front of his son, staring into Remy's eyes. "You know who I am..."

"Remy? What's going on? Talk to me." Alarmed, Scott tightened his hold on Remy, who shook violently.

"He ain' Jean-Luc LeBeau..." Remy whispered the words, shaking like a leaf.

"He's not?" Scott frowned. "Remy?"

Remy moistened his lips. "It's Sinister..." He gasped as Sinister morphed into his true form. Red eyes stared back at him and he flinched, once more reminded that they were father and son. Scott's gonna figure it out and den... I won' be welcome here any more...

Scott was ready to use his optic blast against their enemy and pulled Remy away from Sinister, stepping protectively in front of him. "What do you want, Sinister?" Why was Sinister playing head games? Hold on, he actually helped Remy release Creed's instincts... why help Remy?

Sinister grinned, turned around and opened a tesseract. He would collect Creed before returning to his lab, where he would continue to monitor Remy from a distance. Without speaking another word, he disappeared, leaving Remy and Scott behind.

Remy collapsed on the couch after the tesseract closed. Scott was holding him and whispering reassuring words. "I don' understand..."

"I don't understand it either," Scott said honestly. He wanted to add more, but the phone rang and he picked it up from the floor, handing it to Remy. "That's probably for you."

Remy's fingers trembled, answering the call. "Poppa?"

"Remy! What happened? De connection was gone and... are you bien?"

"I'm fine... poppa," Remy whispered, confused. "Can I ask you somet'in'?"

"Mais oui!"

"Did we ever talk in a cemetery in New York?" Remy's heart pounded madly. So many things depended on Jean-Luc's answer!

"Non, I don' remember comin' to New York..."

Remy's heart missed a beat. His nightmare was coming true. "What 'bout seven mont's ago? Did you come to Westchester to talk to me?" If Jean-Luc wasn' de one talkin' to me at deir grave, who was? Who talked me into lowerin' my shields when Scott's depression controlled me? Please say you were dere!

"Non, Remy. I haven' even left N'Arlings dese last few mont's. Mon fils?"

Remy swallowed hard. It was Sinister... Sinister talked to me after I left Mike... talked me into lowerin' my shields... was dere for me when Creed's urges controlled me... why?

I don't know why, Scott replied. Maybe you need to ask him?

Startled, Remy realized that Scott had received his thoughts. Merde, he had forgotten to shield them, but maybe this was for the best.

"Remy?" Jean-Luc sounded truly concerned. "Did I catch you at a bad time?"

"Oui, you can say dat... Can I call you back later?" He needed some time to process the truth. It was Sinister who had helped him, not Jean-Luc!

"Mais oui, don' wait too long, mon fils."

Remy terminated the call and stared at the wall. Sinister helped me, not Jean-Luc...

Remy, you know I'm receiving your thoughts?

Oui, can' lock you out... not now... can' concentrate.

Remy, do you have any idea why Sinister helped you? Scott wasn't sure he wanted to know, but Remy needed to talk about this. He rubbed Remy's arms, pulled the Cajun's back against his chest and rested his head on the other man's shoulder. Remy didn't pull away and he held his breath, waiting for the moment when Remy registered how close he really was.

Remy couldn't lie, couldn't hide the truth any longer. Emotionally, he felt drained and naked. "Sinister is my fat'er, my biological fat'er..." Scott froze and he cringed, waiting for the other man to push him away now that the truth was in the open. "De one t'in' I never told you was dat he sired me himself... he killed my mot'er... wanted my DNA for his experiments... saved my life 'caus he didn' want to lose access to my DNA... why did he pretend he cared? I don' understand..."

Scott let him rave, and merely held on tighter. "Remy?"

"When I found out, I didn' want to believe him, mais... de eyes, you know... I've got his eyes and..." Remy almost choked on the words. "I'm his son... You no longer want me 'round, do you? Can pack my t'ings and leave right now..." He erected his shields again, keeping Scott's thoughts out, not wanting to feel the other man's loathing.

Shocked, Scott tried to deal with this new information. Sinister's his father... and Remy expects to be kicked out... things never change. "Remy? Listen to me?" He whispered the words into Remy's ear and gently rubbed the Cajun's arms. "There's something you need to know. I should have told you some time ago, but..."

Remy only now grew aware of Scott's tight hold. He squirmed in the embrace until he faced Scott. The damn visor was hiding Scott's eyes and he felt lost, unwilling to peek at the other man's feelings. He refused to invade Scott's privacy like that.

"I developed certain feelings for you. I... I'm in love with you. I want to make this work and I know Jean wants this to work."

"How?" Remy shook his head. "Jean's dead..."

"She left messages for me... she told me you’ve had this crush on me for years." His heart throbbed heavily and his stomach was doing somersaults, almost leaving him nauseous due to nervousness. "Was she right? Do you love me?"

"Loved you for years," Remy admitted, sincerely. Lying wouldn't get him anywhere and he wasn't sure he could lie while being this close to Scott. The other man's arms were still wrapped around him, and encouraged, he added, "Mais never made a move on you... you loved Jean."

"I'll always love Jean. She'll always be in my heart, but there's room for you too... if you want me," he added hesitantly. "I know this is unexpected, and you're still shook up about learning that it was Sinister and not Jean-Luc who helped you... but..."

Remy raised his right hand and placed a finger against Scott's lips, shutting him up. "You can' love me, cher."

"But I do..." Scott smiled. "We even kissed already."

"Huh?" Puzzled, Remy cocked his head. "I'd remember dat."

"One time you charged the restraints and broke free. I had to do something to stop you and... I kissed you." Scott grinned, as Remy's eyes grew big. "Do you remember now?"

Remy blushed, as that particular memory returned to him. "You kissed me and... I said your name. I didn' know who you were, mais when you kissed me..."

"I'd like to do some more kissing... if that's okay with you," Scott whispered, seductively and cradled the back of Remy's head in the palm of his hand. "Do you want this to work? Because I do..."

Scott moved closer and Remy sighed, blissfully, as soft lips brushed his. Oui, want dis to work, mais are you sure you know what you're gettin' yourself into? I'm trouble and Sinister...

We'll deal with Sinister together.

Remy closed his eyes as Scott deepened the kiss. I never t'ought dis moment would ever happen...

It's happening, believe me. Scott smiled. Privately, he addressed Jean. Thanks Jean, thanks for showing me the way... thanks for kicking my ass and telling me to choose the living and to love again. I won't disappoint you... or Remy... I promise.

///

Sinister materialized in Creed's cell and grinned, as Creed startled awake from his light sleep. "You'll do nicely for the experiment I've got in mind."

Creed stared at Sinister. "What are ya talkin' bout? And how did ya get passed their security system?" Sinister moved unexpectedly and the scientist's hand locked around his throat, crushing his larynx.

"An eye for an eye..." Sinister whispered ominously. Footsteps echoed behind him and he looked over his shoulder, fearlessly meeting Logan's eyes. "Stay out of this."

Logan growled and wanted to move forward, but Sinister was even faster and stepped into the tessseract, dragging a choking Creed with him. The tesseract closed and Logan stared at an empty cell.

///

Creed's eyes bulged and his fists banged against the container. Sinister had locked him up in here and he drifted in icy cold water. Electricity traveled through the water, shocking him. He wanted to scream, but the gag prevented it.

Sinister laughed. "Eternity is too short a time for you to pay for your sins..." After raising the voltage, he nodded his head as Creed's body contorted with pain. "This is only the beginning... your suffering will be eternal..." Turning about, he shut down the lights and left this part of the lab.

Creed was still screaming his soundless agony... but no one heard him...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Epilogue

Trust

"Good morning, handsome." Scott teasingly licked the nape of Remy's neck. Lying spooned behind the Cajun, he inhaled his lover's scent, loving the slightly spicy fragrance of Remy's cologne.

"Mornin', cher." Remy yawned, stretched and then rolled onto his other side so he was facing Scott. "Still can' believe I'll wake up in your arms for de rest of my life."

Scott caressed Remy's cheek and then traced the outline of his lover's luscious lips. "I know what you're trying to say. It feels surreal to me as well. God, I'm so lucky to have you."

These last seven mornings they had woken up in the same bed, holding each other tightly. It didn't bother him that they hadn't had sex yet. He wanted to deepen their relationship first and not hurry their lovemaking. Things would happen once they were ready to take that step. Although it's getting harder to ignore my hormones... I feel like a horny teenager again!

Remy gave Scott a wicked grin. "Cher?" The sheet did little to hide Scott's morning erection and he felt tempted to take care of it. Would Scott let him? "Wanna make you feel good," he whispered seductively while slipping his hand beneath the sheet. He paused in his movement, awaiting Scott's permission.

"Only if you want to." Scott licked his lips. When he couldn't sleep at night, he wondered about their future love life. Remy had been through a lot at a tender age and he didn't know how comfortable Remy was with the idea of going all the way so he had decided to let his lover set the pace.

"Oui, I wanna." Remy leaned in closer and pressed a passionate kiss on Scott's lips. He curled his fingers around his lover's erection and pumped slowly, wanting to make this last. "Cher, can I ask you somet'in' personal?"

Scott bit his bottom lip. I can't believe he wants to talk right now when he's... that feels nice...

You like dat, cher? Teasingly, he quickened his strokes. His tongue licked its way down to Scott's nipple and after lavishing the first erect nub, he gave the other nipple the same treatment, suckling softly. Scott bucked and panted softly. "Close?"

"Too close..." Scott arched his back, fucking Remy's hand and finally released his come with a blissful moan. "Oh, yeah..." Closing his eyes, he sighed contently.

"What's de color of your eyes?" Remy wickedly milked his lover's cock dry and then used the corner of the sheet to wipe Scott clean.

"Huh?" Scott stared at Remy. "What?"

"Your eye color..." Dreamily, Remy stared at his lover's face. "De visor and your glasses 'ways hide your eyes..." Lazily he rolled onto his back, and with legs spread wide, he stared at the ceiling.

Scott elbowed himself into a sitting position. Remy had dropped the dirty sheet onto the floor and he now had an excellent view of his lover's naked body. He's hard as well... I wonder, can I return the favor? He was nervous, but was determined to follow Remy's example. Slowly, his right hand traveled down Remy's chest, leaving caresses in its trail.

Remy cocked his head and looked at him, questioningly.

"Is it okay if I...?" Scott didn't know how to phrase the request. Instead, he gently touched Remy's cock and stroked experimentally.

"Mais oui." Pleasantly surprised, Remy smiled and pressed deeper into the comfort of the mattress. Remy knew Scott had never been with a man before and he realized how awkward and new this must be for his lover. "Mais you didn' answer my question." His breath caught as Scott cupped his balls, massaging them gently. "Oh, mon amour..."

Remy's pupils dilated and Scott leaned in closer to presses kisses on his lover's chest, briefly teasing Remy's belly button with the tip of his tongue. Remy wiggled, squirmed, protested and Scott finally obliged him, returning to pumping his lover's erection. "They’re brown."

"Brown?" Remy smiled, rested his hand against the back of Scott's neck and pulled his lover in for a kiss. After releasing Scott's lips, he smiled. "Merci for tellin' me."

"Why do you want to know?" Rolling an erect nipple between his fingertips, Scott realized that he loved seeing Remy's squirm. His lover's balls tightened, he arched his back and Remy released a soft moan as a white, creamy liquid flowed over his hand. Scott rewarded his lover with another kiss, chasing Remy's tongue until the Cajun yielded to him.

Sated, Remy's expression grew draped with fulfilled passion. "Jus' wish I could have seen dem... jus' once... My empat’y tells me what you feel, mais I miss lookin' into your eyes to see it confirmed." He didn't add that he hated the ruby glasses with a passion.

Scott grabbed the already soiled sheet and cleaned them up. Remy's words made him wonder... "Remy, I want to get away from the mansion, just for a few days. There's a cabin, only a few hours away from here... would you spend the weekend with me up there?" He was babbling, stuttering and felt nervous because of the direction his thoughts were taking. "I want to... want to make love to you, but not here. I want our first time to be special..." Remy's perplexed look puzzled him. "What? Did I say something wrong?"

"You wanna make love to me?" Remy swallowed hard. "Cher, are you ready to take dat step?"

"I'm sure," Scott reassured him. "I don't know how to explain it, but... I love you and I want to be with you." He desperately hoped Remy understood. "I want to complete our bond..." He felt excited about making love to Remy, to a man. Hormones!

"I understand, cher. I feel de same way." Remy blushed. "Dese last few nights I've been dreamin' of makin' love wit' you."

"You have?" Scott grinned. "Tell me about it?"

Feeling shy, Remy shrugged his shoulders. "I don' have dat much experience eit'er." He refused to think about Hugo right now. Hugo didn't count. "I've only been wit' one homme before... his name's Mike and..." Remy paused, gathering his thoughts. "Mais t'ings would be different wit' you... want to feel you inside me."

"Remy, are you sure about that?" He didn't want to bring up Hugo or Remy's life on the streets. "Do you think you'd be comfortable being...?"

"Bein' de bottom?" Remy nodded his head firmly. "Oui, I do. Why?" He read the question on Scott's face. "Cause I trust you. I never trusted anyone like dat before... Oui, Jean-Luc, mais he doesn' count... dis is 'bout trustin' lovers and Jean-Luc's... poppa."

"What about... flashbacks? Aren't you afraid that...?" Scott grew silence when Remy rested a finger against his lips and let his lover talk.

"I ain' afraid, cher. Dat's de point I'm tryin' to make. I know you love me... I know you'll never hurt me. Oui, it's only been a week, mais... I'm an empat'. I never wanted to be one, mais right now I'm happy to be one." Scott's feelings were close to the surface and constantly assured him of Scott's love and affection for him.

Dazed, Scott tried to find the right words. "I trust you too, Remy, but..."

"No ‘but’ cher... I dealt wit' my past. I trust you." Remy smiled, pressed his lips against Scott's and suckled the other man's bottom lip. With a soft 'plop' he released the bruised lip. "Mebbe at de cabin?"

"Maybe," Scott whispered, giving in. "Why don't you start packing? I want to leave first thing in the morning." Cuddling up to Remy, he folded his arms around his lover. But first I need to talk to Hank...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you ready to go?" Scott placed his duffle bag in the trunk of the car and leaned against it, watching Remy gracefully make his way toward him. It was hot and the Cajun was only wearing a silk shirt and tight jeans... Way too tight.

"Merci, cher. I'm glad you like my ass," Remy said teasingly, receiving Scott's thoughts. Wickedly, he wiggled his ass while throwing his duffle bag next to Scott's.

"You're going to be the death of me," Scott remarked, pretending annoyance. "Get your ass in the car, Gambit."

Remy grinned and sat down on the passenger's seat. "Hope you don' mind me takin' a nap... Someone kept me up all night..."

Scott keyed the ignition and snorted. "If I remember correctly it was you who wanted a repeat performance..." Seductively, Remy had moved against him last night, and he had accepted the invitation. Pumping slowly, they had brought each other to orgasm.

Remy opened one eye and raised an eyebrow. "Moi? I'm innocent... I didn' do a t'ing!"

Scott decided to give in gracefully. Although he enjoyed the verbal banter, he had to concentrate on the road. He had been to the cabin only once and he didn't want to get lost.

Scott?

Yes, Remy? The one thing he had noticed about Remy was that his lover used telepathy when he wanted to address a sensitive issue.

Shouldn' be askin', mais... when you were at de cabin... were you 'lone? If Scott had been there with Jean, going back to the cabin might evoke unpleasant memories.

You want to know if I took Jean there. Although he was comfortable with discussing Jean, Remy still seemed hesitant. No, Alex took me there once. I've never been there with Jean. That's why I want to go there. I want it be our place... A place where we can go to unwind and just be... ourselves.

You're creatin' memories...

What? Scott glanced at Remy. "I'm doing what?"

"In a few weeks' time we can say, 'Remember bein' at de cabin?' You're creatin' memories... places, moments dat belong to us, only us." Remy averted his eyes and stared at his hands, which were resting in his lap.

Scott didn't really know what to make of Remy's remark. "Is that a good thing?"

"Oui," Remy sighed, relieved, and smiled weakly. "It's a very good t'ing."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Four hours later, they finally arrived at the cabin. Curiously, Remy explored their temporary home and found it quite luxurious. "It even has a Jacuzzi!" There was one master bedroom on the first floor and Remy threw his duffle bag onto the bed. "What do we do now?"

Scott shook his head, marveling at Remy's display of energy. "It's still a bit early to fix dinner. Maybe we can go for a walk?" Scott deposited his duffle bag as well and Remy followed him outside. "Why am I feeling like a teenager?" He had the absurd desire to hold Remy's hand while taking that walk.

"Bein' in love does strange t'ings to people," Remy wisecracked and promptly grabbed Scott's hand, gently rubbing its knuckles. "Is dere any food?" Together they briefly searched the kitchen.

"Looks like it." Scott was pleased to find the shelves stocked. "Maybe you can make some Gumbo tonight?" Remy's brilliant smile took him aback.

"Sure." Remy pulled Scott toward the doorway. "And later we can..." Rocking his hips, he left little to imagination.

"You horny little Cajun!"

"Hey, I resent bein' called li'l!" Remy pulled Scott close for a kiss. "And afterwards, I wanna lick my dessert."

Remy's teasing remark went straight to his cock and Scott moaned softly. "Horny devil, you..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're an excellent cook, Remy. Never had better Gumbo in my life." Remy blushed and he realized it was because he had complimented the Cajun. Hey, it's the truth! It was obvious that Remy wasn't used to compliments and he was determined to render that.

"Merci..." Remy pushed back his chair and rose to his feet. "Can I have my dessert now?"

Scott couldn't deny his lover. The expression in Remy's eyes spoke of nothing but desire and love. "Sure, you can have your dessert." After rising from his chair, he walked over to the Cajun and folded his arms around him. "Why don't you warm the bed for me?"

"You ain' joinin' me?" Worried, Remy frowned. "Somet'in' wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," he quickly reassured Remy. "I just want to clean up in here. I'll join you in five minutes and you'd better be naked..." Brushing Remy's lips, he hoped his lover didn't pick up on his white lie. He had to do something before joining his lover in bed, but it wasn't cleaning up the kitchen.

Still worried, Remy gave in. "Don' take too long." Why was Scott stalling? Had he changed his mind? "We don' have to..."

"Remy, I want to make love to you, please believe me. Just give me those five minutes."

Sighing, Remy turned around and climbed the stairs to their bedroom. "Five minutes, cher, or I'll be back to haul you upstairs..."

"Duly noted." He waited until Remy had disappeared into their bedroom before uncovering the little package he had hidden in one of the cupboards. Opening it, he stared at the necklace inside. I'm doing this for Remy... for us. His hands trembled as he removed the necklace from the case. After taking a deep breath, he slipped the necklace over his head and hesitantly removed his ruby glasses. Then he climbed the stairs to join his lover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remy didn't know why he felt nervous. Scott wanted this as much as he did, so why did he feel shy when he slipped beneath the covers? It was the thrill of being with a new lover for the very first time. He had only once before felt thrilled in this way and that had been when he and Mike had made love, but now the roles were reversed. Scott would be on top and that was just the way he wanted it. He wanted Scott to make love to him, relished handing over control for the moment. Lately, he wanted to be spoiled, to be taken care of, and to be cherished and he had read the desire to spoil him rotten in Scott's mind.

He had faced his personal demon in the Danger Room when Scott had recreated Hugo as a hologram. The pain and fears no longer haunted him and he felt ready to take the next step... finally.

"Remy?"

He looked up, hearing the uncertainty in Scott's voice. "Oui, cher?" His eyes fastened on his lover's face and he forgot to breathe, staring into hazel brown eyes. "What? Cher? Scott...?" Stuttering, he stared into Scott's eyes. His eyes! Mon Dieu! His glasses are gone and I can see his eyes... Mon Dieu, dey're beautiful... mais I don' understand! His optic blast should have devastated de cabin by now!

Remy, it's okay. Scott hurried over to the bed and sat down beside his lover. "Hank helped. He has been researching the Genoshan collars and... this necklace... it acts like one. It just doesn't look as horrible as the collars do." Remy was still staring at him, shocked. "Remy, breathe!"

Remy drew in a deep breathe. "You're wearin' a collar? Why?"

"You wanted to see my eyes, didn't you? When you asked about my eye color I felt the desire behind the question."

"And you asked Henri to make dis necklace? For me? You did dat for me?"

"Don't start crying, Remy, just don't!" Scott cringed, seeing Remy's watering eyes. "Hey, this was supposed to make you happy!"

"I jus' don' understand why you'd do it..." Remy raised a trembling hand and rested it against Scott's cheek. "Oui, 'ways wanted to see your eyes, mais..."

"I want to make you happy and if seeing my eyes makes you happy, that's what I'm going to do. It's okay, Remy. I'm okay with this."

"Mais your powers!" Remy shook his head in disbelief. Cautiously, his fingertips caressed his lover's eyelashes. The soft lashes ghosted against his skin and he sucked in his breath. "You did dis for me?"

"For us, Remy..." Realizing it was time to take action, he leaned in closer and kissed Remy. After bringing his hands up behind the Cajun's back, he gently lay his lover down. "Are you sure about this, Remy?"

"Oui," Remy sighed, blissfully. Scott's naked skin moved against his, causing him to grow erect within seconds. Scott had given him the ultimate gift; he was finally able to look into his lover's eyes. Spreading his legs, he waited for Scott to settle between his thighs. "I want dis..."

Scott took his time, caressing his lover's body, worshipping it. His tongue left a wet trail down Remy's chest and he pressed kisses all over his lover's belly. Last night, Remy's assurance that they didn't need any condoms had made him wonder and he had insisted that they both got tested. After Hank had given them the results, he had agreed with his lover. "No barriers, nothing will keep us apart."

Remy arched his back as Scott showered the insides of his thighs with kisses. "Cher, please... won' last long." Clutching Scott's head between his hands, he smiled, seeing the passion in his lover's eyes. "Please... make love to me..." Foreplay was keeping him from attaining his true goal, which was feeling Scott inside him. "Want you."

Scott nodded his head. "You'll have me, Remy." When Remy reached for the lube, he batted the Cajun's hands away. "Not yet... I want to try something."

Remy's breath grew ragged as Scott's tongue lapped at the head of his erection. "Oh, mon coeur, what are you doin' to me? Gonna come if you keep dis up!" Scott suckled at the slit and Remy released a strangled moan. "Too close, cher, too close!"

Scott grinned, pleased that he was making Remy squirm and plead. "I want to try one more thing..." Moving down Remy's thighs, he slid his hands beneath his lover's buttocks.

Remy jerked as Scott licked his way to his little pucker. "Mon Dieu!" Scott had taken him by surprise; never expecting Scott to rim him. His lover's agile tongue probed his opening, slowly dipping inside. "Cher, please... Don' wanna come and leave you behind!"

Urged on by Remy's needy tone, Scott finally grabbed the lube and squeezed a generous amount onto his finger. "I'm new at this, Remy... I want you to tell me if I do something wrong. I don't want to hurt you."

Remy nodded his head. "Want dis, really do..." He grabbed a pillow and pushed it beneath his hips to give Scott easier access. "Mon Dieu, want dis so bad... never t'ought I'd ever want dis so bad..." Scott's finger slid inside and he moaned low in his throat. "Oui, more..."

Scott licked his lips, never losing his concentration. Remy seemed relaxed, but he wasn't taking any risks. Sliding in and out of the hot passage, his finger encountered a nub and Remy arched his back when his fingertip stroked it.

"Mon Dieu! Scott... more, more, now!" Dazedly, Remy stared at his lover.

Scott obliged and stroked the gland once more. Remy whimpered softly and he realized that his lover was on the edge. Any more stimulation and Remy would come. He pulled back, added more lube and returned with two fingers. This time he avoided hitting Remy's prostate and concentrated on preparing his lover. "Do you think you're... you're ready?" Although he tried to radiate calm and control, he felt insecure. He had never been with a man!

"Oui, am ready," Remy quickly assured him. "Ease inside... don' force it..."

Scott curled his fingers around his cock after quickly coating himself with lube and positioned himself at his lover's opening. "Ready?"

"Oui," Remy sighed. His eyes locked with Scott's and he never released the hold he had on those magnificent brown orbs, as his lover carefully pushed inside. The guardian ring yielded and his toes curled as Scott eased in deeper. "Oui, oui..." Pushing back, he panted softly as Scott's balls hit his skin. "Inside, inside me... mine..."

Scott blinked; he needed a moment to process everything. "Remy, I'm..." Looking down at their joined bodies, he blushed. "I'm inside you..."

Remy grinned. "Oui, you're mine now..." He wrapped his legs around his lover's waist and enfolded Scott in a hug. "Move... make love to me..."

Scott buried his face in Remy's locks and established a slow, lazy rhythm. After changing the angle, he heard Remy gasp and realized that he had found the right position to hit his lover's prostate with every stroke.

"More, faster..." Remy panted, pushing back to meet each of Scott's thrusts.

"No," Scott whispered and maintained their slow and comfortable rhythm. Looking at his lover, he found that Remy had closed his eyes. "Hey, look at me Remy."

Remy's eyes flashed open. Meeting Scott's, he was overcome by the love in them. "Mon coeur..." Scott's slow, deep thrusts set him on fire and he managed to slide one hand between their bodies to pump his own cock in rhythm to his lover's thrusts.

Scott licked his lover's skin beneath the collarbone and aimed for Remy's prostate... hitting it hard. His lover rocked beneath him and hot cream shot against his stomach. His eyes widened as Remy's inner muscle contracted around his cock and the sensation pushed him over the edge. "Re... my..." Climaxing, he whispered his lover's name, trying to express the love he felt.

Panting, they stared at each other and Remy reached up and brushed his lover's lips. "Je t'aime, mon coeur."

"I love you too, Remy." Scott returned the kiss and deepened it, trying to make up for Remy's loss as his sated sex slipped from his lover's body. Satiated, but exhausted, he collapsed beside his lover.

"Merci for dis gift..." Remy kissed his lover's eyes, showering them with feather light kisses. "No one ever... no one... never... before... until you..."

"What are you trying to say?" Scott quickly cleaned his lover and then pulled up the comforter. Remy was shivering and he was growing cold as well. Cradled by the soft comforter, the warm cocoon supplied a safe haven. Remy's draped eyes stared back at him.

"Rogue... we could have touched if she had worn a collar, mais she refused... no one ever gave me such a gift. You're de first who really loves me..." He hated bringing up Rogue, but he wanted Scott to understand. "You really love me..."

"Yeah, I do, Remy." Scott enfolded his lover in a tight hug. "And I don't mind wearing the necklace... I love the expression in your eyes when you look at me..."

Remy closed his eyes and rested his head against Scott's chest, snuggling up to his lover. For the first time in his life, he felt happy, truly happy and loved.

The End

March 2002

(or to be continued? It's up to you to let me know :)