Title: Infultration

Author: Meg Hamby

Fandom: X-men (my twisted version anyway)

Pairing: Eventually original char Lynn/Gambit, original char Knight/Kurt, also a bit of Hank/Bobby.

Rating: Generally G/PG storyline, but some NC-17 scenes later

Status: OLD… I wrote this a really really really long time ago… I think my writing has improved since then but I thought it was a good way to start posting. I also haven't written the very last part yet… so your feedback could be an influence…

Archive: Go ahead

E-mail address for feedback: genocidemd@hotmail.com Please please give me feedback!

Series/Sequel: Long, long story… so it will be told in parts.

Disclaimers: I don't own any of these guys, though if I did I'd be rich and that'd be nice… but the chars Lynn Virgil and Nicole Knight are of my own creation (not owned by anyone).

Notes: `…' usually represents thoughts. Telepathic communication is ~…~ The Neo are a race of aliens who blame mutant kind for the devastation of their planet (in a nutshell).

Summary: A Neo defector comes to the x-men for protection from an assassin sent to kill her by the Brotherhood. This assassin turns out to be much more than the x-men bargained for…

Warnings: Some m/m (duh) and umm… some touchy bits about the Catholic priesthood later on.

 

Infultration
By Meg Hamby


Lynn Virgil watched coolly as the x-men leader's pretty face flushed with frustration.


"You really expect me to trust HER?" Rogue asked the others, though it sounded more like a demand than a question. "She's a Neo, and a traitor. Not a good combo if ya ask me."


"My, she does have quite a temper doesn't she?" Lynn, a rather full-figured young woman in appearance mused as she tossed aside curled lock of indigo hair that dangled in her face.


"You have no idea, chere" the Cajun known to the world as Gambit said, in a failed attempt to lighten the situation.


"Stay outta this Remy." Rogue muttered through her gritted teeth.


"Perhaps you should just calm down and reflect on Miss Virgil's proposal, Rogue." The ever confident and logical Dr. Henry McCoy interjected as he rubbed his blue furry brow with thought; "The information could indeed be of use to us."


"'Miss Virgil', you say that like she's HUMAN." The verbal shot from Rogue rippled Lynn's composure momentarily, but just long enough to give Rogue the satisfaction of knowing that it got to her. She had
found the weak link in the traitor's chain.


"Oh, and I suppose that you're the girl next door eh?" the alien sneered in an attempt to regain her dignity.

"Rogue, Beast is correct. We should all hear her out and then make a unanimous decision, ja?" Nightcrawler's heavy German accent echoed from the shadows where he sat almost kneeling and resting his weight on his rather disfigured heels.

"Thank you Herr Wagner. The least that you can do is listen to my...proposition." Lynn pleaded, mostly directing her attention at the white tressed and green clad Rogue who opposed her.


"Fine, Ah'll listen to the Neo...though ah don't think she'll say anythin' of interest." Rogue finally gave in and took her place, along with her three team mates in stiff-backed chairs around a table. Lynn chose to stand and address her audience.


Lynn smiled for the first time. Gambit silently regarded how beautiful she was when she parted her lips to chuckle softly before carrying on with her speech. "To continue, my proposition is this...
I know when, where and all the logistics of the Neo's next planned strike against the x-men. I will give you this information and help you to fight them."


"In exchange for what, eh?" Gambit spoke for everyone; no telepath was needed to recognize that.


"Protection." Lynn sat down and crossed her legs, as though satisfied.


"Against who, the Neo?" Rogue blurted out.


"No, an assassin that I believe was sent by the Brotherhood of Mutants."


"You are not powerful enough to defend yourself?" Beast asked, his blue face twisted with confusion.


"On the contrary, under normal circumstances. But now I am weakened from the retrieval of the Neo's plans...I am afraid that I am no match for a trained killer in this condition and I am sure that the assailant will chose my weakest time to strike. This is why I need you, and you need me."


"Why exactly do we need you, sugah?" Rogue's Mississippi accent was beginning to aggravate Lynn; just as Lynn's cryptic messages and sparse details were beginning to aggravate Rogue.


"Because, 'sugar', the Neo plan to attack you right here, in your home and refuge. They know where you live and in 48 hours they will be at your door and with the ease that I gained entry..." Lynn referred humorously to her surprise entrance to the Institute, bypassing their security. "You five are as good as dead without my help. Then the Neo plan to track down the Wolverine in his Canadian retreat...they will eliminate every last one of you unless I help you eradicate them first. That is why you need me." Lynn leaned back and let the weight of her words sink in to the quintet of heroes.


`We five alone are good, but are we good enough to fight a team of Neo?' Rogue thought to herself. As much as she hated to admit it, maybe they should take the gal up on her offer. The others just voted her leader; Rogue didn't really want her first order of business to be condemning her friends to death.


Her thoughts were interrupted by a hard blow to the chest, sending her sprawling backwards into the wall and knocking the breath out of her. Then, in the blink of an eye Nightcrawler was cut down with a painful thud and Rogue was receiving one bone crushing punch after another from a blurred assailant. The rapid blows would have killed her, if she were not basically impervious.

They still hurt though, Rogue thought as she blindly lashed out at her attacker. Just as suddenly as the beating began, it ceased. The blur had a figure now and exceptional one at that. A crimson haired young woman stood facing Lynn with a knowing smile that bared her teeth in a ferocious manner. Rogue tried to move but could not; the punches had done much more damage than anticipated. Gambit and Nightcrawler lie on the ground, though the Cajun seemed to be coming to. By the looks of things the injured team guessed that this was the mystery assassin.


The woman crouched and prepared to leap on the weakened Neo when her target faded from view and darkness enveloped her and pushed her away from consciousness. Beast stood over her unconscious body and loosened the balled fists that he had used to knock out the preoccupied villain.

*

Rogue busied herself with tying up the assassin while Beast carried Nightcrawler off to the infirmary. Gambit, meanwhile, made himself available to the flustered and confused Lynn, who was obviously the target.


"Lookin' like you was not kidding, eh mon doux?" Gambit's Creole flowed smoothly, laced with charm as he aided the uninjured Neo to her feet. "Are you hurt anywhere?"


"No, I appear to be fine. Thank you sir." Lynn smiled at Gambit and looked into his piercing red eyes for a moment before brushing herself off.


"Please, call me Remy." he said softly, in a hesitant tone that was very unlike him. Rogue picked up on this instantly and addressed the matter.


"Remy, sugah...will ya go an' see how Nightcrawler's doin? Me an the Neo'll take care of sleeping beauty here." Rogue glared at Lynn in a universal feminine expression that said 'stay away, he is mine' without saying a word. The receiving female instantly picked up on the stare and brushed a loose hair out of Gambit's eyes, giving him another gorgeous smile and a 'thank you ' glance before allowing him to leave.


"That Gambit, he's a very nice man." Lynn tested as she helped Rogue lift the assassin into a chair and sitting position.


"Yes, he is. I've known him for a VERY long time, he's quite somethin'." Rogue responded sharply.


"Hmm, well I guess we should see what we can get out of her." Lynn changed the subject and motioned towards the bound woman.


"Yeah," Rogue snapped and placed smelling salts under their prisoner's nostrils. In response she twitched and then came awake fully thrashing about in her binds like an animal until she registered her surroundings and assessed her situation. After a visual sweep of the room and it's occupants she settled into a more comfortable position and smirked knowingly.


"How's the ribcage, Hon? Nothin' broke I hope." A rough Australian accent came out along with the biting words that were directed at Rogue who rubbed her aching chest but replied...


"Never been better sugah, how's the noggin?"


"Could be better." the hostage admitted, then turned her attention to Lynn... "Nice plot Hon, to get the x-men to cover for ya. Brilliant, only... I didn't know you guys were for hire nowadays." she said turning back to Rogue.


"What's your name?" Rogue brushed off the remark and stuck to business.


"Knight and yours is Rogue. I'd shake your hand but I'm kind of tied up right now. By the way, how's the elf? He should be pretty close to paralysis by now." the woman sneered at Rogue.


"Wh… what do you mean?" Lynn stammered.


"I mean the lil' elf is gonna die within the hour, unless..." Knight let her voice trial off.


"Unless what?" Rogue grabbed the collar of the captive's black T-shirt and pulled her off of the chair. Though she probably could have broken the bonds and wrenched free, Knight made no attempt.

"Unless you let me go, then I'll give him the antidote and be on my way...no harm to the Neo either." Knight hung limply giving the deception of helplessness, hoping to catch Rogue off guard just to show her a lesson.


"Out of the question." Rogue threw her back into the chair like a rag doll, and Knight let her.


Beast entered the room with a look of solemn concern on his face.

"Perhaps we should see what this antidote can do," the doctor said with a sigh.


"You're not actually saying that..." Rogue stuttered in disbelief.


"Yes, Kurt is dying. She poisoned him somehow."


"It was not intentional; I assure you...I was after the Neo and no one else. The elf stunned me and I reacted...I can save him. Let me prove it, and then you can decide what to do with me." A ray of compassion shined through the assassin's seemingly tough exterior, Beast was uncertain as to whether or not it was genuine. Rogue wasn't sure why, but she trusted the woman and she had to try, for Kurt's sake.


"Okay, cut her loose." Rogue motioned to Lynn, who used her tiny bit of strength to blast the ropes off with an ionic pulse.


"Show me to your sick room, please doc." Knight said as she stood straight and rubbed her wrists and then her head.

*

Beast escorted the woman to the infirmary where Nightcrawler slept, comatose. The two entered as Gambit was leaving and heading toward the danger room. Beast allowed her space but never let down his defenses against attack. Knight removed a bottle of purple liquid from her belt and hooked it to Kurt's IV. Then she glanced at Beast and eased back into a chair, staring at the tubes carrying the purple concoction to the mutant's blue arm.


"How did you do it?" Beast inquired.


"Hmm... do what?" Knight seemed to snap out of a dreamlike state.


"Poison Kur...err Nightcrawler?"


"My blood is a highly toxic poison that affects the nervous system and shuts down the immune system. A simple scratch can transfer the poison to someone. In small doses it reacts with the body causing temporary paralysis and a host of other side effects, but in a large dose such as the one your friend here got, it is lethal...not to mention painful." Knight peeled back a shredded layer of Nightcrawler's uniform to reveal four fingernail scratches that were unusually deep. She bound the wounds with some gauze and paper tape that rested on the bedside table. Beast thought for a moment and then broke the silence that hung over their heads.


"May I take a blood sample?"


"What?" Knight was stunned.


"Just for analysis. I would like to add it to our computer database." Beast replied with a kindhearted smile. He knew he had let down his guard but he did not fear an attack from this woman anymore than from the unconscious Kurt on the operating table.


"Well, I'm not exactly in the position to deny you guys anything right now am I? Just trust me, don't prick yourself with the needle, I'm outta antidote." Knight replied with a malevolent smirk and lay back on the table next to Nightcrawler. Beast laughed under his breath and proceeded to carefully take a couple of test tubes full of blood from Knight. She returned to Nightcrawler's side where she waited patiently as Beast ran his analysis on her blood.

*

Meanwhile, Lynn stumbled upon the unsuspecting Gambit who was tiring himself out with a vigorous workout. She cleared her throat before she spoke.


"Ahem, have you seen Rogue around?" Gambit looked up from his simulated adversary, who by now was little more than a crumbled wad on the ground, and smiled warmly at the sight of Lynn.


"Bonjour chere. No, I don see her. Why, are you looking for her?" Gambit replied as he ended the computer program and walked towards Lynn, who was leaning against the doorjamb.


"No, not particularly, just wondering. I don't think she likes me much." Lynn said, baiting Gambit for an answer.


"Nor do I, though I don't see what's not to like." he smirked and walked closer until he was within arm's reach of Lynn. She smiled at him again and looked at him innocently. He felt his heart rate speed up and his stomach tighten. He had never felt that before. His mind reeled on possible causes, was it something he ate? Damn Kurt and his sauerkraut. But when he looked at Lynn and her glowing lavender eyes he didn't think it had anything to do with indigestion. He stepped even closer to her, so close that her breasts touched his bare chest gently and he could feel her nipples harden beneath her thin blouse. He followed his instincts and the heat in his groin. He licked his lips and leaned in to kiss her but, as his lips softly brushed hers, she moved to the side and turned her back to him.


"I'm sorry. I have acted too quickly I tink." Gambit admitted with a sigh. Lynn did not know why she turned away, she didn't want to...but she felt guilty. Guilty about Rogue and how much she seemed to care for Gambit. She couldn't just let him betray her, could she? After all, he was a man...he couldn't help it, but she had self control and she could stop herself, even if she didn't exactly want to.


"No Remy, it's just...well. It's Rogue to be honest." Lynn spoke without turning to face Gambit.


"Ah, I think I understand. Well, here's a tip chere. Rogue is untouchable, in more ways than one. Sometimes I think dat even if she wasn't a mutant she would still be a tease. I think it's in her nature. Rogue and I have not been together in a very long time. I didn't even know she still had de feelings for me; I'm not sure if it is even affection or if it's just pride because I was hers. Do you see what I'm getting at? You think it over and then we talk.

Eh?" He moved closer, his lips just shy of her earlobe and watched her shiver as his breath slid over her ear and throat as he whispered, "But I just wanted to say dat I've never felt like dis wit' anyone else, not like de way I feel when I'm wit' you." There was no denying the chemistry between them, both physical and emotional, Lynn knew that. Gambit paused and put a hand on her shoulder.


"Sweet dreams chere." and with that he left her alone with her tormenting thoughts and went to spend some alone time with his.

 

PART TWO

Back in the infirmary hours had passed and Beast was becoming groggy, but Knight was determined to stay right there at Nightcrawler's bedside until he was able to get up and walk. She had done this and she had to make it right. She had no compassion for the Neo and her wretched life, but this was another mutant lying here. This was a casualty that could have been avoided and it would be corrected, she promised herself that. Beast had dosed off in a chair by his desk. Good for him, Knight thought, at least one of us is getting some decent rest; and for a split second her mind raced with ways that she could take advantage of this lack of observance.

She could get the hell out of the mansion without hurting anyone else… if the big blue bloke was still snoozing when the little blue one's vitals read clear, that was just what she resolved to do.

Those were her last thoughts before she drifted off into a restless sleep in the large upholstered chair next to the comatose elf.

Suddenly Nightcrawler's blue eyelids flickered open to reveal yellow orbs that rolled about as though trying to get a handle on consciousness. When he finally sat up, Kurt realized that someone
was grasping his hand. He looked down and saw the young woman in red pants and a black shirt that left little to the imagination. Kurt squeezed the woman's hand and Knight jerked awake and looked at the conscious blue man with an expression of fear, and then a smile.

"Who are you?" Kurt asked as politely as he could. Knight was stung by the question. How could she tell him who she was and avoid another fight?

"I am… I was the one who cut you down." she said with a sigh and she searched Nightcrawler's face for a sign of hate or fear or anything. He seemed to take in the information and then he smiled.

"Nice right hook ya got there...err...what is your name?" he asked and again she was startled, he showed no malice towards her, how could this be? She expected him to but furious.

"Knight, Nicole` Knight." She replied hesitantly.

"Well, Nicole`, thank you for sitting here with me. That was truly a great thing to do. Most prisoners would have gotten out while Beast slept over there ja, not wait for their victims to wake up and pulverize them." Nightcrawler smirked. Nicole` thought to herself, `he doesn't miss anything does he?'

"Well, you should go back to sleep Nightcra..."

"Kurt, please."

"Kurt..." she smiled warmly,"you really should get some rest."

"So that you can get out of here, right?"

Then Beast awoke groggily and yawned. He realized that Nightcrawler was awake and immediately bombarded him with questions. After being assured by Kurt that all was well Beast gave him a tranquilizer to help him sleep.

"Okay, that ought to keep him stable until morning." Beast said while avoiding eye contact with Knight. "I..." he was interrupted by Knight.

"I know, you gotta lock me up. Personally I think that you should be locking the Neo up n'stead of me but hey, it's your party hon. I'm just here for the food." she joked with an air of severity as she
began to saunter out of the room, followed closely by Dr. McCoy.

"You are aware that she is under our protection, correct?" the furry man pursued the subject.

"Yeah, I know...but she's a menace. Part of an even larger problem. One that must be eradicated as soon as possible." Knight replied casually.

"She is no longer one of them, you must understand that..." he pressed on, trying to convince the prisoner.

"What I understand, Hon is that she and her kind are responsible for the death and terrorization of hundreds of Homo-superior." Nicole`spun around, obviously highly agitated, and spat the words at Beast who took a step back and prepared to defend himself. "And you, the mutants who won't even defend their own kind, you are just as responsible, if not even more so. First its the Homo-sapiens that you have pity for and forgive, now an alien race attempts an invasion and genocide of our species and you harbor one of them as a victim."

With that the duo continued their walk down the sparsely lit corridor and down several levels on the lift until they reached the containment area where the prisoner was to be held. Knight slumped
down on the floor and rested her back on the wall as Beast locked and secured the force field around her.

"We all do what we believe to be right Miss. Just think about that before you start assigning blame." Hank padded off down the hallway, and she was then left alone to dream of horrors and memories and thoughts that should never be given form. Finally after hours of whimpering and flinching about in her sleep, Nicole` Knight fell into a deep but restless slumber.

*

"Hiya sugah, sleep well?" Rogue was kneeling down in front of Knight with a patronizing smirk on her face.

"Hmmm...Get me a cup 'o coffee would ya hon. Ah had a rough night."

Nicole` shot back doing her best to mimic Rogue's accent, the impersonation was less than perfect but it served it's purpose.

"That's nothing compared to the day you're about to begin, ah promise ya that." Rogue stood up and straightened her jacket before speaking again. "Ah hear you got some issues with the Neo...don't care to much for 'em mah' self."

"Yeah, well what's that gotta do with the price of tea in china?"

Knight rose to meet Rogue eye to eye.

"Nothin, just makin conversation. By the way sugah, you're free to go now. We're sure that you're not a threat to us and we ain't no cops so we can't exactly just keep ya locked up...unfortunately" the last word was said with extra spice, as though intended to be an insult. It didn't have its desired effect.

"Pity, I did so love your, hospitality." The force field flickered away and Knight walked a few feet and then smiled. "I'll be seein you around hon." She lifted her fingers to tip an imaginary hat and then she walked slowly out of the room.

*

Just down the hall, in the kitchen, another conversation was taking place.

"Good morning Dr. McCoy. I trust you slept well." Lynn said politely as she sat down across the circular table from Beast who was reading the paper.

"Yes, quite well, and you?" Beast glanced up from his news momentarily to smile at Lynn and then went back to reading.

"Fine." Nightcrawler entered the room and headed straight for the refrigerator. "Hello Mr. Wagner, a pleasure to see you up and about." Lynn was perhaps a bit to chirpy for Nightcrawler's taste at this early hour, but each does his own.

"Thank you, I slept like I had been drugged." Kurt flashed Beast a playful glare and then laughed it off, continuing to rummage through the icebox for something to eat. Gambit soon found his way into the kitchen and to the espresso machine.

"Morning chere, and you two as well." Gambit said as he ran a hand through his unbrushed hair and flashing Lynn a charming smile.

"You too Remy." Lynn replied, returning the favor.

"Say, anyone know where a girl can get a good cup 'o coffee 'round here?" Knight interjected from the doorway where she was resting one arm on the doorjamb and another on her waist.

"Who let her out?" Lynn demanded knocking over her chair as she leapt up and put much more distance between herself and her would be assassin.

"Chill out Hon, I'm not here to kill ya. I followed my nose up here and right now all I want is some damn coffee, and then I should be ready to walk outta your lives forever." Knight replied as she
filled a Styrofoam cup with hot brew from the pot. She then sat down at another table and quietly sipped her coffee until Nightcrawler joined her.

"Hören Sie...I just wanted to thank you for saving my life last night." Kurt said after clearing his throat.

"I don't think you understood right bub, I was the one who almost killed ya in the first place."

"I know, I know...but you did not have to save me, you could have just let me die. There is a streak of good in you, I can tell these things." Nightcrawler said warmly.

"Look Hon..." she stopped for a second.

"Kurt."

"Okay, look Kurt. I'm not out to get you, you weren't the target so there was no reason to let you die. It was plain logic that was all." Knight chugged down her remaining coffee and then began to
stand but hesitated when a blue three fingered hand grabbed hers.

"Well then, Nicole, for what it's worth...dank for being logical."

Kurt said with a smile and then he let go of her hand and leaned back in his chair. Knight paused and then murmured

"Good-bye Kurt...you're welcome." under her breath before walking out of the room, and everyone's lives, for good...or so they thought.

 


END PART 2