TITLE: Homebound

AUTHOR: Catlover

EMAIL: Catlovers@cox.net

DISTRIBUTION: WWOMB, anyone - Just ask

RATING: NC-17 (Smut with romance - shaken but not stirred)

FANDOM: X-Men: The Movie

PAIRING: Wolverine/Rogue (Yeah, it's het fic.)

SUMMARY: Set one year after the movie, Logan and Rogue finally confront their growing feelings for each other only to face more difficulties.

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing. Marvel owns the X-men lock, stock and barrel. I'm only using them for my sick purposes and them cleaning them off and placing them back on the shelf.

NOTE: This is in response to Peja's request for X-Men fic.

*Italics are thoughts.

 

Homebound
by Catlover




Chapter One: Arrivals & Departures

It was four months ago today that Logan returned to the mansion. Four months after leaving the abandoned medical facility in Canada that hadn't answered any questions, only created more. Walking through the installation's dusty halls, Logan thought he felt a whisper of a memory but the moment vanished before he could discover and treasure it. Defeated and frustrated, Logan returned to the mansion. He tried to tell himself that it was because he had no where else to go, but, deep inside, in parts of his soul to which he rarely spoke and of which he hardly ever thought, Logan knew that he returned because he told her he would.

Just over a year ago, Logan left, promising to one day return to retrieve his tags. As he walked out the door, Logan watched her grip those tags and knew she would wear them, probably close to her heart, against her skin. A place he could never be.

Logan told himself over and over again that it was wrong to dream of a slip of a girl. He reminded himself that she was barely old enough to know herself, much less the workings of her heart, but he rationalized it by repeating to himself that dreams are outside a man's control. Besides, at least when he dreamt of Rogue, he wasn't having nightmares. No, these dreams were of a completely different nature. The dreams sometimes took place in exotic locales. Sometimes she was wearing silk, sometimes cotton, sometimes spandex. Still, Logan's dreams were strangely real.

In his nighttime excursions, Logan gripped Rogue's arms, touching the silk of her long gloves, careful to avoid direct contact. The fact they never touched skin-to-skin in these fantasies did not lesson their erotic nature. In fact, the knowledge that one touch of flesh would activate Rogue's mutant power, leading to a coma or certain death, was dangerously exciting. Before waking, Logan always smiled from the sound of a satisfied Rogue.

Upon waking, Logan always frowned from the obvious frustration in which these dreams always left him. Wrapping his hand around himself, a conscious Logan could never bring himself to imagine Rogue. Instead, he latched onto the vague memory of some all but forgotten, faceless woman as he hurried himself to an unsatisfying climax.

He sought to forget her face in the harshness of the wilderness. He tried to force the memory of her from his mind as he struggled to take each step. It took him two months of hiking through the forest to reach the forsaken military base. He spent a week roaming its vacant walls before resigning himself to the fact that the place had nothing to offer him. On the return hike, Logan no longer had the strength to banish the memory of a round face with big, brown eyes and a head of rich brown hair containing a white streak.

After reaching civilization, Logan tried to return to his previous life. He fought in a few tournaments. He found a place to stay. He lost himself in the welcoming embrace of a few brunettes he couldn't quite remember anymore. It took four months for the nightly dreams of Rogue's young body sliding against his own to spur him into action. It only took minutes for him to pack up his few belongings and climb on his bike. Sixteen days later, Logan knocked on the front door of the mansion.

Although he hoped a petite brunette would greet him, Jean Grey, tall and redheaded, opened the door instead. She smiled slyly and assumed he returned for her and he graciously allowed her to keep this false reality. Harmlessly flirting, he flashed a cocky grin and followed her inside.

His room was still waiting for him - Exactly as he left it. He sat on the bed and fell back into memories. The night he almost killed Rogue. The night she almost killed him. The night he touched her for the first time. The night he realized he loved her. Petting the soft blanket, Logan lost himself in memories. For several minutes he sat perfectly still until movement in his
peripheral yanked him from his reverie.

Like a vision, Rogue stood in his doorway, the light bright behind her. She wore long red gloves and a short-sleeved, black velvet blouse with a pair of burgundy slacks. She cried out in happiness as she ran to him. Kneeling down, she threw her arms around his waist. Squeezing Logan as tightly as she could, Rogue pressed her forehead into Logan's T-shirt covered chest. In response, Logan quickly wrapped shaking arms around her and breathed in her scent. Content, for the first time in almost a year, Logan gently rubbed his cheek against Rogue's hair.

After a few minutes, Rogue pulled back. Shyly, she tucked an ivory piece of hair behind her ear and said, "I'm so glad you came back, Logan. I had begun to think you would never come back."

Logan grabbed her hands and squeezed before replying. "Of course, I'm back. You can't get rid of me that easily."

After a few moments, Logan pulled his hands away and fought the urge to blush. Patting the bed, Logan invited Rogue to sit beside him. As they sat together, Rogue told him about her training, her friends, her classes and various stray thoughts that managed to find their way into her head. Logan listened patiently through it all, watching her mouth move and contort with each sound.

In response, Rogue blushed from all the attention. She rambled on and on, afraid that silence would break whatever spell had been cast over him. At first, she only glanced at him; worried he might see her heart in her eyes. After awhile, Rogue looked in Logan's dark, troubled eyes and stared dreamily at his rugged features. She longed to run her fingers through his thick, jet-black hair and almost cried because she couldn't.

Suddenly, a knocking interrupted their conversation. Storm stood in the doorway, stoic as ever. Storm's long white-blond hair fell down her back and swung back and forth as she walked toward Logan and Rogue. Crossing her arms across her chest, Storm addressed Rogue. "I believe someone has class right now. Go on. You can see Logan when classes are over."

Reluctantly, Rogue stood up and headed for the door. Just as she reached the door, Rogue stopped, turned around and pulled a chain out from under her blouse. "I think these are what you said you would return for."

Seeing the tags, Logan crossed the room. Inches in front of Rogue, he touched the tags, running his thumb over the warm metal before placing them back in Rogue's hand and closing her hand around them. "I want you to keep them, Marie," Logan whispered.

Smiling brightly, Rogue nodded, tucked them away and turned, running to class. Logan smiled as he watched her leave until he heard the ominous clicking of Storm's heel against his hard wood floors.

Suspiciously, Storm crossed her arms over her chest and gripped her arms. She walked over to where Logan was standing, but Logan was gone by the time she arrived. He returned to the bed and pulled his bag open, emptying it. Logan could feel Storm looking at him. He could feel her questioning, accusatory eyes digging into him, judging him or was that just his guilty conscious.

Storm drew closer Logan. As she watched him mechanically put his clothes away, she stated, "It's cruel to encourage her little crush."

"Oh yeah?"

Storm watched as Logan kept on arranging clothes and his few belongings. "If you give her time, then she'll probably move on to someone whose more her own age or, maybe, she'll realize what a mistake any relationship would be," Storm advised.

Wolverine faltered for a second, but managed to spit out through gritted teeth: "Sure."

Storm walked over to Logan's door and said, "It's quite sad, really. She'll never be able to have a normal relationship."

Without looking at Storm, Logan responded, "I don't know about that."

With shock splashed across her face, Storm faced Logan and stated, "Logan, a normal, physical relationship is simply impossible for her."

Logan walked up to Storm, stopping when he was within a few inches of her and countered, "What's so great about being normal? None of us are normal and we're no worse off for it."

Storm sighed loudly before continuing, "Of course, Logan, but things are a little different for her."

"Oh yeah, why's that?" Storm explained, "Because Logan, Rogue will never be able to rise to the highest level of intimacy and that alone will destroy any relationship eventually."

Logan returned to his unpacking and whispered, "Not necessarily."

Storm looked at his tension filled body and shook her head. Silently, Storm left, closing the door behind her.

After Storm's departure, Logan tried to force her words from his mind but found that he couldn't. Although he didn't want them to, he found that her words were altering his perceptions and actions. Later, when Rogue returned, Logan was far more aloof. He was kind, but not sweet. He was good company, but not attentive as he was before.

Later that night, Rogue left Logan's room confused and shaken. All her hopes were dashed. 'He couldn't love me,' she thought. She went into her bedroom and stood in front of her full-length mirror and slowly stripped. It was so nice to stand without being covered from head to toe. It felt so good to feel the sting of the cool, crisp air as it danced across her skin. Slowly, Rogue ran her fingertips over her young flesh, reveling in the simple act of being touched. Finally, she reached over and grabbed her nightgown. Pulling it over her head, she smoothed it down her body. Sighing loudly, she slid into bed, rolling onto her side. Hugging the covers up to her chin, Rogue could feel the tears run down her face. Why would someone love a person they can't touch?


------------------{((<0>))}------------------

Four months passed since that night. Rogue still looked at Logan whenever he entered the room. She said special prayers when he went out on missions and greeted each return with a tight embrace. Every night, Logan dreamt of Rogue, waking with the name "Marie" still on his lips. Every morning, they ate breakfast together. Everyday, they spent some time together just having fun. As evening drew near, they parted; bound for separate beds, wishing things could be different.

 

Chapter Two: Revelations

Today, Bobby asked Rogue out on a date for the first time. In plain view of everyone during lunch in the main eating area, Rogue accepted his invitation to the formal dance being held that night in the large banquet hall. The whole school cheered for them. Everyone seemed so happy. Everyone except Logan.

Later that night, when the music started, Rogue danced her first waltz with Bobby as she thought of someone else. As the melody played, Bobby held her too close for comfort and, in general, was overly eager as only a teenage boy can be. Later that night, they secreted away and walked through the mansion's quiet halls.

Rogue wore formal attire consisting of baby doll gloves and a short-sleeved, modest gown. With Bobby standing so close, Rogue's bare arms made her feel uncomfortable, unsafe. Even though Bobby was wearing a tux, Rogue feared the consequences of a single touch so she tried to maintain a safe distance, but Bobby held on tightly to Rogue's gloved hand.

Pulling her along, Bobby led Rogue to a secluded part of the Mansion. After turning a corner, Bobby pulled Rogue into a close embrace. Rogue struggled against Bobby as she felt his hands running up and down her back. Rogue begged, "It isn't safe! I could hurt you."

Undaunted, Bobby held on and said, "Only if we have skin-to-skin contact, right Rogue?"

With lightening quick movements, Bobby placed a hand on Rogue's covered breast. Rogue grabbed Bobby's hand and tried to push it away. "No, don't do this, please."

In response, Bobby squeezed Rogue's breast. Speaking softly, he tried his best to convince her, "Rogue, you're so beautiful. I've liked you since the first time I saw you. I just want us to be close. Please, Rogue."

Rogue continued to struggle with Bobby. "I don't want to do this, Bobby. Please stop."

Bobby never got a chance to respond to that last entreaty. Two large hands grabbed his jacket and wrenched him away from Rogue. Slamming Bobby against the wall, Logan let his claws extend. One hand on Bobby's neck kept the boy still while Logan threatened him with his long, razor-sharp claws. "I think the lady said 'No,' so either you're deaf or I need to teach you some manners, boy."

From behind Logan, Rogue said, "Logan, let him go. Don't hurt him."

Quickly, though reluctantly, Logan retracted his claws and released Bobby. Bobby backed away from Logan hurriedly until he was standing next to Rogue. Turning to Rogue, Bobby was surprised to hear Rogue say, "Go away, Bobby."

Looking at Rogue, Bobby considered protesting but decided against it when Logan began a low growl. Whispering a shaky goodnight, Bobby retreated down the hall and out of sight.

In the center of the hallway, Rogue stood quiet and still. Slowly, Logan approached her and placed a hand at the small of her back. Immediately, she snapped her head to look at him, tears brimming in her eyes. Then, Rogue blinked and a single tear escaped her weakened defenses.

As the tear traveled down her right cheek, Logan reached into the back pocket of his jeans and pulled out a white handkerchief. Logan debated with himself, but finally decided to brush the tear away instead of giving her the square bit of cloth. As he softly wiped away her tear, Rogue stared straight into his eyes. She searched his face and found concern staring back at her. Looking away, Rogue hugged herself and started to walk away.

Logan put his handkerchief away before reaching out and grabbing Rogue's shoulder. Jumping back, Rogue cried, "No, get away from me. Can't you see.Can't you see that I can't have anyone near me, close enough to touch me. It always turns out bad, one way or another."

Logan put his hands up in front of him and said, "Woah, that's not true. I've held you lots of times and nothing bad has happened."

Rogue laughed weakly and countered, "Oh yeah, what do you call the comas I put you in - a vacation."

"Hey, I'm still alive and kicking, aren't I? So, it couldn't have been so bad, right?" Logan walked up to Rogue slowly, gently wrapping his arms around her, careful to avoid touching her arms. Rogue brought her hands up to her chest and rested her head on Logan's chest, her cheek brushing against the combination of his blue denim jacket and his black leather motorcycle jacket. Silently, Logan held Rogue while she cried and, after a few minutes, walked her back to her room.

With resignation, Rogue sat on her bed and looked up at Logan. "This is how it's always going to be, isn't it?"

Logan sat beside Rogue and answered, "No, some-someday you'll meet a man who'll take things at your pace and with your restrictions and not care that he can't touch you. He'll be happy just to be in your presence."

Rogue tucked her blond streak behind her ear and replied, "But Bobby."

Logan reached out and took Rogue's hand in his own. "Bobby is a boy. A man, a real man will come along, Marie. I promise."

Looking down, Rogue nodded. Patting Rogue on the knee, Logan stood up and walked toward the door, as he reached for the knob Logan could hear Rogue's voice speaking evenly and softly. "I used to hope that a certain man would come along."

Logan stopped. He could feel his pulse throbbing through his body. He turned around and looked at Rogue's beautiful face as she continued to speak. "I used to hope that he could possibly feel for me what I feel for him, but I think he only sees me as a kid."

Slowly, Logan walked over to Rogue and knelt down in front of her. Rogue caught her breath as Logan pulled out his handkerchief and unfolded it. Covering his hand with the piece of cotton, Logan reached out and ran his fingers down her cheek as he whispered; "I don't think this guy thinks of you as a little girl, Marie. He just doesn't want to hurt you. Men can sometimes come with a lot of baggage, not all of it good."

Rogue leaned into his touch and cooed into the cloth, "If he cares for me, I wish he would say something to me directly."

Logan spread the cloth across Rogue's face, leaned in and kissed her forehead. Against her warmth, Logan spoke, "I think he will, but he just wants to wait until you're not feeling as vulnerable as you do right now."

Rogue laughed nervously as Logan took his handkerchief off her face and started to fold it. "I hope he doesn't wait too long,"

Logan nodded, stood up and walked over to the door. Opening the door, Logan looked back one last time before entering the hall and making his way back to his room.

Later that night, Logan slept in his bed, dreaming of Rogue. In his fantasy, they laid on Logan's bed. Rogue wore a burgundy cat suit with sleeves tucked into long, black silk gloves and leggings tucked into black, nylon stockings. Logan ran his hands up and down Rogue's arms and swirled his tongue over her breasts, sucking in her cloth-covered flesh. Under him, Rogue writhed in pleasure, gripping Logan's hair. Between gasps, Rogue alternated between sighing out "Wolverine" and "Logan."

Suddenly, the door to Logan's room burst open. On the other side, Professor Xavier and the rest of the X-men stood, staring with disappointment in their cold eyes. Professor Xavier slid into the room, followed by Scott, Jean and Storm. Logan sat up and addressed the Professor. "Professor, what's going on?"

Professor Xavier's face became twisted by anger as he answered, "You have betrayed the purpose of this school. You have corrupted it to fulfill your own agenda."

Logan started to shake his head, but the Professor kept on with the attack. The Professor motioned to Jean Grey and ordered her and Storm to take Rogue away. As Storm and Jean grabbed Rogue's arms, Rogue began to scream.

"Take her back to her room. I'll deal with her later," commanded Professor Xavier.

Logan jumped up and reached out for Rogue, only to be stopped by Scott. Looking at the Professor, Logan said, "Professor, leave her alone. She's just a kid."

Professor Xavier narrowed his eyes and countered, "Yes, she is a child, but you are an adult and you are the one ultimately responsible for this."

Logan responded, "You're right. She's innocent and blameless in all this. If you want to punish someone, then punish me."

Professor Xavier raised his right eyebrow and said, "You will be. You have betrayed me and the purpose of this institution, but more importantly, you have betrayed this girl's innocence, naiveté and trust. Logan, you are banished from the mansion. Leave now."

In the background, Logan could hear Rogue calling his name. He turned in time to see Bobby enter the room, pick Rogue up and carry her away. Logan started calling out for Marie, screaming and reaching out for her.

With his arm out-stretched and Marie's name on his lips, Logan woke up in a sitting position, drenched in sweat. Quickly, Logan lowered his arm and rubbed his face. He jumped out of bed and looked around. 'A dream. It was just a dream.' Letting out a held breath, he dragged on a sweater and walked outside to get some fresh air. He found himself on a balcony overlooking the grounds. Absently, Logan ran his hand over the stone masonry. He walked along the balcony until finally stopping, standing alone with his thoughts.

Logan struggled inside with the things he wanted to do and what he felt he should do. After a few minutes, he looked up and saw her dark window and wondered of what she dreamt. Were they the dreams of a little girl or a woman? Was she a little girl or a woman? Was he taking advantage? Would his intentions eventually hurt her? Perhaps he should wait, allow her to gain a
couple years of experience and life before pursuing anything romantic. 'Perhaps.' The memory of their earlier conversation filled his mind and tore him in two. Had too much been said already? 'I just don't know.' Burdened by his concerns, Logan left the balcony and returned to his room. He stretched out on his bed and tried to quiet the ramblings of his mind.

The next day, Logan sat in the main eating area and drank his coffee. Although his night had been stressful, at least the morning was promising. He'd already had the pleasure of scaring Bobby twice. Smiling into his coffee, Logan took a drink as he recalled the terror in Bobby's blue eyes.

A tray landing on the table startled him, causing Logan to spill a few drops of his coffee. Looking up, Logan saw Rogue standing beside him, smiling down at him for a second before sitting quickly. She wore a white poet's blouse, short white gloves and a long straight sky blue skirt. She picked up her napkin and cleaned the spilt coffee. A sinking feeling filled Logan's stomach. All too quickly, Rogue picked up on his hesitation. Slowly, she inquired, "Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

Logan shook his head and took a sip from his coffee. Rogue reached a gloved hand across the table and gripped Logan's hand. Rogue asked in whispered tones, "Are you regretting the things you told me last night, Logan?"

Snapping his eyes up, Logan met Rogue's gaze. 'The moment of truth.' Sitting there, Logan was impressed by the fact that this could end right now. He could say "yes" and everything would be over. Rogue's crush would be shattered. Maybe, he and Rogue would never be close again, but, at least, she'd be safe from him. Logan went to open his mouth, only to be stopped by a hand grasping his shoulder. Logan looked over his shoulder and found Scott. Scott smiled at Rogue and said to Logan, "Come on Wolverine, Magneto is on the move again."

Logan looked back at Rogue, shrugged and followed Scott out of the dining area.

-------------------{((<0>))}-----------------

When the team returned, Rogue was waiting at the cargo bay. As the jet landed, Rogue began her prayer again. She watched Scott and Storm exit the plane first, followed by Jean and Logan. Jean was trying to examine Logan's left shoulder where his suit had been torn away. Blood stained the leather, but the wound it came from was gone. Logan brushed Jean away and growled, "I'm okay. I heal quick, remember. Now, just go away."

Angry, Jean threw up her hands and walked away quickly. She and Scott left, followed closely behind by Storm. After they were all gone, Rogue came out of the shadows and approached Logan from behind. As she inched closer, Logan cursed under his breath and he fingered the shredded costume. Stiffening, Logan sniffed at the air. Without turning around, Logan called out, "Hey Marie. Aren't you supposed to be in class?"

Rogue closed in on Logan and reached up. Tentatively, she ran a gloved hand over the ripped fabric. Looking up at Logan's features, Rogue asked, "What happened?"

"Another tussle with Sabretooth. You'd think that with all the times I've sliced that guy up, he'd die by now," answered Logan.

"But you're okay, right?" asked Rogue.

Logan reached over with his leather-clad right hand and grabbed Rogue's hand, holding it firmly. "Of course, you can't get rid of me that easily."

Rogue smiled weakly and looked away. Logan took Rogue's chin between his thumb and forefinger and gently nudged her until she was looking at him. "What's the matter, Marie?" Logan asked.

Roughly, Rogue pulled away and walked toward the door. Stopping abruptly, she turned around and answered, "Logan, I know what you were going to say before you left this morning. You were going to say that you regretted the things you told me." Rogue continued, stating her ideas with confidence. "I know you look at me and see a little kid, regardless of what you said last night."

Logan moved to speak, but Rogue raised a hand to silence him. Clearing her throat, Rogue said clearly, "Last night was great. You were there when I needed you, but I understand if I'm not what you want. I can try to forget this, Logan. I can try to forget how I feel, but first, I need to hear you say it."

Logan looked at Rogue curiously and asked, "Say what?"

Slowly, Rogue walked up to Logan. Reaching up, she placed her hands on his cheeks and requested, "Tell me you don't love me, Logan. Tell me you don't care for me. Tell me and I can let go."

Logan felt the conflict rise in his heart again. Should he say he doesn't care? He never lied to her about his feelings before. Should he start now? The questions fueled his frustration and stoked flames of rage inside of him. Angrily, Wolverine ripped away from her caress.

As he began to pace back and forth, Rogue questioned him, "Why is this so hard, Logan? If you can walk away from me, then you must not love me. If you do love me, then why would you ever want to leave me?"

Logan reached out and painfully gripped Rogue's arms. Frustrated, Logan explained, "I could be your Father. No one quite knows how old I am. Hell! I could be your Grandfather."

Rogue shook her head and countered, "No, Logan. I'm not looking for a Father, Logan. I have a Father. I don't need another one. Besides, you can't be my Father or my Grandfather. I have one Father and two Grandfathers and, trust me; you look nothing like them."

Logan lessened his grip on Rogue's arms. He looked deep in her brown eyes and saw the truth looking back at him. Logan quickly closed his eyes. "Marie, I carry a lot of baggage. I have trouble getting close to people. Am I really the type of person you want to be with?"

Rogue brought her hands up, resting them on his chest. Leaning forward, Rogue laid her head on top of her hands and answered, "Yes, you are the type of person I want because you're like me. I can't get close to people, Logan, and I have nightmares, too. In my dreams, I see the boy I almost killed. I see the times I almost killed you, especially the last time. I know someday Professor Xavier is going to want me to join the team and I'm going to be expected to kill people, take mutant's powers. I don't know if I can live with that. I don't know if I can live with myself if I do it."

Logan slid his hands around to Rogue's back, placing one hand on the back of her head. "You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, Marie," Logan offered.

Rogue laughed weakly, "Yeah, except where loving you is concerned. I don't want to leave you alone, Logan. I don't want to deny my feelings for you. I don't want to force myself to stop loving you."

Gripping her sore arms, Logan pushed Marie far enough away so that he could look directly into her eyes. Letting go of her arms, he ran his hand up her face and through her hair. Whispering so softly that he could barely be heard, Logan said, "Then don't."

Rogue's eyes lit up at the words. Tentatively, a smile crossed her features while she said, "Do you mean it, Logan?"

Logan nodded and answered, "I've tried to fight it for so long, Marie, but I can't fight anymore."

Rogue cried out and rushed forward. Stopping, Rogue stood with her hands up in the air. Frustrated, she looked from her hands to Logan and back at her hands before placing a hand over Logan's mouth and kissing the back of her hand. Logan looked at Rogue's closed eyes and kissed her palm. Rogue smiled when she felt the pressure. Opening her eyes, she held Logan captive as she pulled her hand away.

Placing an arm around her waist, Logan led Rogue to the changing rooms. Once there, he opened his locker and pulled his clothes out. Reaching into the back pocket of his jeans, Logan pulled out his white handkerchief. Walking over to Rogue, Logan placed his hands on her cheeks, spreading the cloth across Rogue's nose and mouth. Logan hesitated for a second to make sure she could breath easily through the cloth before saying, "I love you, Marie."

Leaning down, Logan brushed his lips against Rogue's. Rogue ran her hands up his chest, reaching up until her hands wrapped around his neck. Pressing harder, Rogue raised the intensity of the kiss. Gripping her face and the handkerchief tighter, he opened his mouth and waited for her to do the same. Rogue quickly complied. The thin barrier between them protected them, but did not deter from the sensations as they reached their tongues out and brushed them against the cloth. Finally, breaking the kiss, they staggered backwards a little before Logan pulled Rogue back into another searing kiss. They went on like this for more minutes than they could count. In the end, they parted and Logan pulled the handkerchief off of Rogue's face and placed it back in the back pocket of his jeans.

With a devilish grin, he rolled his finger, signaling her to turn around. As soon as Rogue complied, Logan stripped out of his uniform and dressed in his street clothes. Quietly, he approached Rogue from behind and kissed her shoulder. She looked up at him startled, but smiling. Placing his arm around her waist, He led her out of the locker room and back into the mansion.

Slowly, they made their way through the halls. In silence, they exited the mansion and entered the surrounding gardens. In a small maze formed by high hedges, they sat down on a stone bench. Rogue looked up at the cloudy sky for a second before returning her gaze to a serious Logan.

With uncertain movements, Logan took Rogue's hands in his own. Softly, he whispered, "Marie, this isn't going to be easy. There are going to be people who won't approve of our relationship. They'll think I'm taking advantage of you. You may hear things in class. I need to know that you can handle this because one thing I'm not willing to do is have a secret affair. It wouldn't be fair to either of us and I wouldn't be respecting you if I did."

Rogue smiled at Logan sweetly and replied, "Oh Logan, of course I can. I never told you what happened after I almost killed that boy, did I? The town I lived in turned on me. They whispered behind my back. They called me a freak. My whole family was ostracized. Y'know, the usual anti-mutant treatment. I had planned on going on a trip cross-country to Alaska when it all started, so I just left claiming that was the reason."

"I never went back. I just kept going. Logan, those people were cruel. They didn't accept me for what I am. I knew those people my whole life. I used to play with their children and when they closed their doors to me, it almost destroyed me. I don't think that will happen here, but if it did, I don't think it could feel worse. It's been great here at the mansion, but I haven't known these people very long. I care for them, but the only one I love is you. If they asked us to leave, it would be okay because, at least, this time I wouldn't be alone."

Logan squeezed Rogue's hands and pulled them up to his lips and kissed them. Rogue laughed happily and put her hands on Logan's face and up into his hair. She felt tears sting her eyes as she ran her fingers through his hair. Logan watched the feelings floating across Rogue's face. Curious, Logan asked, "Marie, is something wrong?"

Rogue shook her head and continued running her hands through Logan's shiny, black hair. A tear ran down Rogue's cheek and Logan repeated, "Marie, what is it?"

Rogue placed a hand on Logan's forehead and placed her forehead against the back of her hand before whispering, "I've wanted to do that for so long."

 

CHAPTER 3: Confrontation and Acceptance

In the main dining area, the Mansion's entire population, less two, sat eating dinner in small clusters. The teenagers sat at a large table by the windows. The smaller children were separated by age into small groups of four or five. At a large round table, big enough to seat ten sat Professor Xavier, Storm, Jean and Scott. A fifth table setting sat on the table unused. All over the room, conversations could be heard ranging from the mundane subjects of whom likes whom to the important matters concerning the X-Men's next plan of attack. Into this cacophony of voices walked Logan and Rogue, tightly holding hands.

At first, only a few voices stopped as people paused to stare at the pair's clenched hands. Next, more silence fell. Finally, the quiet was almost a pliable thing as people in the room wrenched their necks, trying to look at them. Instantly, Logan and Rogue stopped in their tracks. Cautiously, Logan surveyed the area, his narrow eyes coming to rest upon the other X-Men. Looking down at Rogue, Logan nodded his head in the direction of the X-Men's table. Rogue swallowed and nodded.

Together, they crossed the room. Along the way, Logan let go of Rogue's hand long enough to pick up a table setting off another table. Once at the round table, Logan placed the table setting down to the left of the one waiting for him. Quickly, he reached over and grabbed a nearby chair and pulled it over to the table. He waited for Rogue to sit down before sitting in his own chair. A couple minutes later, the cook came out and served Logan and Rogue, darting glances at Xavier the whole time. After the cook left, Logan picked up his fork, leaned over his food, looked around at the four other people sitting at the table and said, "So, what's goin' on?"

Choking on a sip of wine, Storm started coughing. Scott and the Professor sat silently, their mouths threatening to hang open. Suspiciously, Jean narrowed her eyes and looked back and forth between Rogue and Logan. For her part, Rogue returned the group's scrutiny timidly. She put down her unused fork and slowly started sliding her hands toward herself, hoping to hide them under the table.

Just in time, Logan noticed her actions. Before she could succeed in removing her hands from the table, He reached over and grabbed Rogue's right hand and squeezed. He glanced over at Rogue and winked. Logan's touch gave Rogue the strength to sit taller in her seat, her back straight and her head held high.

Just then, Professor Xavier cleared his throat and everyone looked in his direction. The Professor leaned forward and said, "I see you've brought a guest to the table this evening, Logan."

Logan squeezed Rogue's hand tighter and responded, "Yeah."

The Professor picked up his fork and positioned it to spear a cherry tomato. "Rogue, I suppose you'll be joining us from now on."

Rogue swallowed hard and answered, "I'd like to."

Professor Xavier pierced the tomato with his fork, raised it to his lips and ate it. Xavier looked back and forth between Logan and Rogue. Logan looked at Xavier with set, blank eyes. Logan didn't blink. He didn't look away. Although Rogue's eyes betrayed her fear, she also refused to look away. Finally swallowing, Professor Xavier speared some more salad and said, "I think your input will be greatly appreciated."

Some tension finally left Logan's body and he sat back. Rogue picked up her discarded fork and said, "Thank you, Professor."

Professor Xavier nodded and began eating. One by one, Storm, Scott and Jean started eating again. Logan looked around the room briefly before working on his dinner. Following Logan's cue, Rogue slowly ate her dinner.

After dinner, the inhabitants of the Mansion cleared off their plates and thanked the cook for a job well done. Logan and Rogue walked away from the cook's disapproving gaze without saying a thing. They left with a swarm of people surrounding them. As people passed them, they glanced, peaked and sometimes blatantly stared. Although Rogue held Logan's hand tighter and stood closer to him, she returned each disfavoring glance with confidence. Watching the way Rogue carried herself, Logan felt proud as he guided her through the halls, finally arriving at his room.

Entering the room, Logan looked down the hall to see Jean Grey staring back at him. Logan surprised Jean by nodding at her before entering his room. Closing the door behind him, Logan walked over to the bed and sat down next to Rogue. Logan placed his arm around Rogue's shoulders and pulled her close. In a small voice that betrayed her brave exterior, Rogue whispered, "That was so much harder than I thought it would be."

Logan stiffened at this revelation. He shifted until he was facing her. "Marie, look at me." Logan waited for Rogue to look at him before continuing, "Are you regretting this in any way? If you are, say so now."

Rogue looked into Logan's serious, brown eyes and said, "I don't regret a thing."

Logan smiled and pulled Rogue into a tight embrace. She placed her right cheek on his right shoulder and sighed. Logan kept his head up to avoid contact with her scalp, but still managed to wrap his arms around her. This is how Jean Grey found them when she opened the door.

Jean Grey gasped in surprise. Recovering from her shock, she stomped into the room and ordered, "Rogue, I need you to leave. I have to speak with Logan alone."

Rogue and Logan separated. Logan raised an eyebrow at Jean and said, "This is my room, not yours, Jean. I say who comes and goes around here."

Jean stood straighter, her eyes blazing. In a chilling voice, she warned, "Logan, you know this talk is going to happen eventually. Do you really want her to be here to witness it?"

Logan leaned toward Jean and answered, "Anything you have to say to me, you can say in front of Rogue."

Jean's eyes clouded over as she spoke, "Okay Logan, answer a question for me - Why are you with this girl when you said you loved me?"

Rogue looked over at Logan, but Logan did not look back. Instead, he reserved his cold, angry eyes for Jean while he fired back an answer, "I never said I loved you. I flirted with you a little bit, but I never said I loved you."

Jean stepped forward and accused, "Logan, are you going to sit there and honestly say that when you came out of the last coma, you didn't tell me that your heart belonged to me?"

Logan stood up and walked over to Jean. "What I said was that my heart belonged to somebody else. I never said it belonged to you."

Jean countered, "That is very convenient, Logan. I remember telling you back then that I thought Rogue was quite taken with you. In response, you told me to tell her that your heart belonged to somebody else."

Logan looked over his shoulder at Rogue before replying; " I said that. It's true, but that still isn't a declaration of love for you."

Jean questioned further, "Are you saying it was a lie?"

Logan leaned ever closer to Jean and answered, "It was a lie."

Jean took a step closer to Logan, until their faces were less than an inch apart and said, "I don't believe you. I think you're lonely, Logan, and you've latched onto this child to make the loneliness go away, not caring about what it might do to her."

Logan growled and spat out, "Get out. Get out of my room, Jean, before I do something."

Slowly, Jean stepped back. Giving Logan one last glare, Jean turned on her heel and left the room.

Logan remained standing there. His hands rolled into tightly clenched fists hung down by his sides. Rogue got off the bed and carefully approached Logan. Lightly, she touched his arm. Instantly, Logan's claws extended in response to her touch. Rogue yelped and jumped back. Quickly, Logan swiveled, looking over his shoulder.

Her frightened eyes shocked him back to reality. Immediately, Logan retracted his claws, his hands up in the air. "I'm sorry."

Rogue nodded and walked up to him. Reaching up, she interlaced her fingers with his. "Now, I know what you meant when you said that people might think you're taking advantage of me." Glancing at the door, Rogue continued, "God, I've never seen Miss Grey act like that."

Logan lowered their hands, drawing Rogue closer to him. Gently, Logan ran his hands up Rogue's arms and nudged her closer until her head rested on his chest and her arms wrapped around his waist. Logan wanted to place a hand on top of her head, but wasn't wearing gloves so he couldn't. Wrapping his arms around her, Logan advised, "You better get used to it. We're going to get a lot more of that before too long."

In response, Rogue nodded and closed her eyes.

Later that night, Rogue reluctantly left Logan's room, returning to her own. Down the hall, Scott watched her leave. He waited a minute before walking over to Logan's door and loudly knocking on it. Logan opened his door a crack, wearing nothing but a pair of jeans. Seeing Scott, Logan rolled his eyes and opened the door.

Scott cleared his throat and observed, "I just saw Rogue leave, not one minute ago."

Logan looked down at his bare chest and bare feet and put two and two together. For a second Logan considered letting Scott believe something had happened, but 'that wouldn't be fair to Marie' so Logan just smiled and shook his head before saying, "Nothing happened, Scott. Now, say whatever you're going to say and leave. I heard enough from your significant other earlier, but I'll take a little more if it'll make you sleep better."

Scott looked at Logan curiously before asking, "Jean was here?"

Logan narrowed his eyes and answered Scott's question with a question. "You didn't know?"

Scott looked away and answered, "No."

Logan observed, "Interesting. Maybe there are a few troubles in paradise, after all." Taking in Scott's severe frown, Logan relished in watching Scott squirm before continuing, "So, let's get this over with. What do you have to say to me, Scott?"

Scott raised his gaze to Logan's blank face and asked, "Are you going to do right by Rogue?"

Logan laughed, mockingly. "Sure, Dad."

Scott impatiently responded, "I like to think of myself as more of an honorary big brother."

Logan stopped laughing, looked Scott up and down before stating, "You're one to be asking this question, Scott. I mean, how long have you been with Jean, now? Five years? Ten years? More years? You tell me. When are you going to make an honest woman of Jean?"

Scott crossed his arms before responding, "We're not talking about Jean."

Logan sat on his bed and looked up at Scott. Rubbing the back of his neck, Logan asked, "Don't you think, Scott, that you should leave and clean up your own mess before you come around here messing with mine?"

Scott couldn't think of anything to say to that. He just turned around and left the room, closing the door behind him. Logan got up and pulled his handkerchief from his pocket. He was about to crumple it up and throw it into the dirty clothesbasket; instead he stopped, looked at it, folded it up and placed it on the nightstand next to his bed.

The next day, Logan entered the changing room and opened his locker. He pulled his T-shirt off and grabbed one of the training sweatshirts out of his locker. As he pulled it over his head, Storm walked into the room. Not saying a word, Storm walked over to her locker and started to change.

Logan looked over at Storm and said, "So, you might as well take your shot, too."

Storm continued to change as she answered, "Everything I have to say, I already said months ago."

Logan nodded, remembering that night four months ago. Leaning against his locker door, Logan stated, "You knew."

Looking over her shoulder, Storm confirmed, "I suspected."

After she finished changing, Storm walked over to Logan and sat down on a bench near him. Slowly, Logan walked over and sat beside her. Taking a deep breath, Storm continued, "You're a good man, Logan, but that doesn't make what I told you before is any less true. You love her and that's wonderful. I think she needed someone to love her. My only worry is about how this will end, and it will end, Logan. At some point, you're both going to want to make love to each other and you won't be able to. When that moment comes, one or both of you will start pulling away."

With that said, Storm stood up and walked toward the training room. Just before reaching the door, Storm heard Logan call out, "Not necessarily."

Opening the training room door, Storm looked back and said, "I really hope so, for both your sakes."

Logan sat on the bench for a minute before looking down at his bare hands. 'Gloves. I need gloves'.

Walking into the vehicle lot, Logan glanced mischievously at Scott's bike. Some of the dents he put in it still showed on the vehicle's weathered hull. As he straddled the motorcycle, Logan heard the door open. Looking over, Logan saw Professor Xavier enter. Xavier slid up to Logan and asked, "Going somewhere, Logan?"

Logan answered, "Yeah. To town. I need to buy a few things."

Xavier interlaced his fingers and commented, "Like gloves."

Logan looked at Xavier and cocked his head to the side as a smile slid across his face. "How did you know?"

Logan inquired. "Some things you don't have to be psychic for. Have a nice trip. Logan."

Logan placed the key in the bike's starter, but stopped before turning it. He looked over at Xavier and asked, "Are you okay with this?"

Professor Xavier looked intensely at Logan and replied, "Would it matter if I wasn't?"

Logan looked at Xavier directly and answered, "No."

Xavier smiled and said, "Then I'm okay with it. Logan, I've lived a long time. I've seen a lot of things. I've seen this kind of romance before. As with everything else, some of the relationships I've seen were strong and some were weak. There's nothing to say that Rogue and you can't be one of the strong ones."

Logan smiled at Xavier and said, "You're all right, Chuck."

Xavier nodded and watched as Logan started the bike and drove away.

-------------------{((<0>))}-----------------

Sitting at her desk, Rogue suddenly became the center of activity. Her fellow female classmates sat in surrounding chairs and prodded Rogue with questions.

"How long have you been with Wolverine?" one asked.

"What's it like to have one of the X-Men as a boyfriend?" inquired another.

Rogue's head spun from all the attention. Rogue cleared her throat and answered, "Since yesterday. It's hard to say boyfriend and Wolverine in the same breath. The word doesn't seem to fit him."

One of the girls leaned forward and whispered, "Have you kissed him yet, Rogue? Is he a good kisser?"

Another girl leaned in and chimed in, "Yeah, Rogue, Wolverine seems so primal. He must be a great kisser, right?"

Rogue blushed and the girls giggled. Rogue tucked her ivory hair behind her ear, avoiding their stares. One of the girls looked Rogue up and down before proclaiming, "Look at her blush! You just know she kissed him."

Leaning forward, the girl urged, "Come on, Rogue, don't hold out on us."

As Rogue opened her mouth, Professor Xavier arrived at the class and broke up the powwow. "Everyone please put the chairs back where they belong. Come on. Now, quiet down. In the last class."

Just before dismissing the class, Professor Xavier gave out the next assignment. Smiling warmly, Xavier said good-bye to everyone. As the teenagers rushed from the room, they passed Wolverine standing just outside the door.

As the girls passed him, they turned away quickly, giggling loudly. Wolverine smiled and the girls blushed and giggled again. Rogue found Wolverine laughing under his breath, leaning against the wall. Approaching him, Rogue asked, "Why are you smiling like a Cheshire cat?"

Holding up his hands, displaying his new black gloves, Logan responded, "I went to town and bought a few things."

Logan wrapped his arms around her and replied, "In fact, I just got back," pulling Rogue close, Logan continued, "I had to. I've been dying to do this."

Suddenly, Logan reached up and messed up Rogue's hair by rubbing his hand over the top of her head. Rogue shrieked and pulled away. Standing a couple feet away, Rogue smoothed out her hair and playfully swatted at Logan. Laughing loudly, Logan opened his arms and Rogue rushed into his embrace. As tremors of laughter shook him, rubbed his thumb over her cheek and looked deeply into her eyes.

Logan broke the connection when he heard a familiar hum. Looking down, Logan saw Professor Xavier exit the room. Xavier paused in front of Rogue and Wolverine and smiled. Rogue smiled back and Logan raised a hand and twisted it back and forth, showing off his new black gloves. Xavier chuckled and nodded.

Cocking his head to the left, Professor Xavier said, "Rogue. Logan. You will be joining us for dinner on time tonight, won't you?"

Logan smiled and replied, "Sure, Professor."

Nodding his head and waving a hand, Professor Xavier proceeded down the hall, calling back, "See you then."

 

Chapter Four: Belonging

At dinner, Logan and Rogue found two table settings waiting for them. Sitting down, they found the conversation at the table in full swing. Apparently, information had been gleaned from Cerebro that Magneto was planning to attack a peace summit being held next week in Switzerland. The attack was supposed to force the war with Humanity and Xavier's hand. By publicly killing the
diplomats of over thirty countries, Magneto hoped to spur anti-mutant feelings to the point that Xavier would have to fight the humans in order to protect his children. In the end, Magneto would have his war and his old friend back fighting at his side. In a dark, sick way, it was a brilliant plan.

Currently, the X-Men were discussing possible strategy. Professor Xavier sighed, "I knew they would never be able to keep Magneto in the plastic prison in which they placed him, but I prayed they could confine him for at least a little bit longer. The past six months have been hard. His constant attacks are draining us. I just wish I could figure out his plan."

Slamming his fist against the table, Xavier continued, "Why does he insist on this course of action?"

The X-Men fell silent. The Professor rarely exhibited such anger. It shocked those closest to him, but, from the back of the table, Rogue's voice could be heard. "Charles, why do you always ask questions to which you already know the answer?"

All of the X-Men, even Logan, turned their heads slowly, staring in bewilderment at Rogue. Xavier looked closely at Rogue, his eyes growing larger each second, until he whispered, "Of course, why didn't I realize it sooner?"

Jean touched the Professor's arm and asked, "What was that Professor?"

Xavier smiled at Rogue and explained, "Rogue took a great deal of Magneto's power. The power transfer, her mutant powers allow her to achieve, must also be on a psychic level. Is that right, Rogue?"

"Yes, Professor," answered Rogue.

Xavier sat back in his chair and asked, "Could you use this link to contact Magneto now?"

"I don't know, Professor, I've never tried. I feel Eric in my head. I can see the world like he sees it. I remember things that he's done," replied Rogue.

Xavier leaned forward, placed his elbows on the table and remarked, "Fascinating."

Jean steamed from the praise Rogue received and accused, "If you've been able to do this all this time, why didn't you say something sooner?"

Rogue stammered out a response, "I-I - its not always clear. He's not the only person in.in my head. J-just now, it became truly clear for the first time."

Xavier offered an answer, "Most likely, our discussion of Magneto tonight allowed you to center on the imprint of him left in your mind."

Rogue shrugged in response.

The X-Men, accompanied by Rogue, entered the war room and turned on the magnetic map. The tiny metal pieces shimmered across the tabletop until they combined to create a three-dimensional representation of the peace summit location and the rumored positions of Magneto's forces. Scott walked around the map, studying it.

"The place is pretty isolated," said Scott, "We couldn't get the jet within fifty feet of this place without triggering Magneto's men."

Rogue walked up to the table. She rubbed her hands across the front of her jeans and observed, "They know you're coming. They'll destroy everything before you even get close."

Logan placed his hands on Rogue's arms. He stared at the map before saying; "What if we attacked in a way they're not expecting?"

Storm inquired, "In what way would that be?"

"On skis."

Jean turned to Logan and asked, "Skis, Logan?"

Scott approached the table and mentioned, "As much as it pains me to admit it, you may be on to something, Logan. They'll be expecting the jet. If we skied from a distant slope, then we could advance on their position without being found out by their men."

Logan nodded and added, "It's going to require us to leave the toys at home. No jet. No cool gadgets. Magneto's men will be on the lookout for those."

Jean crossed her arms and questioned, "How are we supposed to get there and what if we need to make a quick getaway?"

Logan answered, "We'll use the friendly skies for a change. Be ready to punch up those frequent flyer miles."

Rogue interjected, "You should have the Professor fly the jet over the summit when the time comes to attack."

Jean sarcastically asked, "Oh and why is that?"

Rogue looked at the Professor and said, "Because Eric and the Professor have a psychic link that allows them to sense one another when they are physically close. Eric is like a religious zealot. He's prepared to sacrifice anything for the cause. His own men, strangers, mutants, humans, it doesn't matter much to Eric."

Directing cold eyes at Jean, Rogue continued, "I should know. However, Eric is not prepared to sacrifice himself or the Professor. In the end, Eric would rather scratch his plan than allow the Professor to be fatally wounded."

Scott asked, "What about last year? The Professor was wounded by Magneto."

Rogue nodded and responded, "Yes, the Professor was wounded, but Eric only hurt him enough to keep him out of the way. He never had any intention of killing him. The Professor should fly in once you are all positioned, ready to attack. Eric will sense the Professor is on the ship and will direct his men to damage, but not destroy the plane."

Squeezing Rogue's shoulders, Logan added, "While they're distracted by the Professor, we can charge in. After it's over, we can leave in the jet."

Although some initial opposition was witnessed, in the end, the X-Men agreed that Rogue and Logan's plan was the best way to go. They made plane reservations for the next day and left to pack.

In Logan's room, Rogue sat on the bed and watched Logan pack. "I feel stupid. I helped create a plan that could get you killed," she commented.

Logan placed a few shirts in his bag and sat beside Rogue. He brushed his covered fingers across her cheek and said, "You can't get rid of me that easily."

Rogue placed her hand over Logan's mouth and leaned in, but Logan stopped her and pulled her hand away. Reaching into a nearby shopping bag, Logan pulled out a square box filled with handkerchiefs. Rogue laughed and waited anxiously as Logan opened the box and pulled out a white, cotton square of cloth.

Reaching out, Rogue took the cloth from Logan and placed it over his mouth and nose. She waited a second before leaning in and kissing Logan. Logan ran his hands up and down Rogue's back while she clutched the cloth and the sides of his face. For a few minutes, they sat there kissing until Logan shifted and reclined onto the bed, bringing Rogue with him. Positioning himself above her, Logan allowed the cloth to fall onto Rogue's face.

Uncovering her eyes, Logan pulled back, propped himself up on his elbow and looked down at her flushed face. Pulling up her blouse, Logan placed a gloved hand on Rogue's naked stomach and slowly began moving the hand in little circles. Rogue wrapped her arms around Logan's neck and pulled Logan down into another kiss. A couple minutes later, Logan pulled back and positioned the handkerchief so it covered Rogue's lower face, chin and neck. Leaning down over her, Logan ran his lips across the cloth, applying pressure at just the right moments.

As Logan gently teased her skin, Rogue clutched Logan's shoulders and started to gasp for breath. She ran her left hand through Logan's hair while her other hand covered his left hand that was still softly massaging her flesh with small circles. With gentle prodding, on Rogue's part, the circles ran higher and higher until Logan's thumb grazed her right breast on each up swing. Tentatively, she lifted Logan's hand and brought it to rest on her right breast.

A little surprised, Logan pulled back. He looked in Rogue's dark eyes and saw need reflected in them. 'Damn! Too far, too fast.' Rogue began to writhe underneath Logan, her legs wrapping around one of his legs. Well, I'm not leaving her like this. Their eyes never left each other's as Logan started kneading her breast. Rogue's breathing came fast and short as Logan pinched and rubbed her nipple. Rogue closed her eyes to the sensations, but reopened them when she heard Logan say, "No, keep your eyes open."

Reopening her eyes, Rogue saw Logan slide down the bed. Logan pulled Rogue's blouse down, covering her skin. He gently nudged her legs apart and slid between her denim-covered thighs. Gently, he rested on her, placing the brunt of his weight on the elbows he positioned on either sides of Rogue's ribcage. Using both hands, he cupped her breasts, massaging the soft lumps of flesh through Rogue's cotton blouse and bra.

Looking up at Rogue's half-shut eyes, Logan smiled when he heard her sigh out his name. When he felt her raise her hips up, he started to press against her pelvis, giving Rogue the friction she desperately wanted. Quickly, Logan dragged himself up Rogue's body. He shoved his arms under her shoulders and tangled his hands in her hair. Gripping her silky tresses, he lifted her head as he kissed her with an open mouth.

Fiercely, Logan ground his pelvis against Rogue's and got a whimper in response. Smiling against the cloth that covered her mouth, he continued to thrust between her thighs. After a few frenzied moments, Rogue started to roll her head back and forth and Logan removed the handkerchief so he could watch her face contort.

A sweet tension entered Rogue's body and quickly spread through every cell. Logan pressed against her faster and watched her responses intently. Rogue gasped for breath and her vision swam. Just when she thought she would die, her body exploded. She arched her back and grasped Logan's shoulders in a white-knuckle grip. She squeezed her eyes shut and cried out, "Oh my God! Logan!"

It seemed like forever before she began breathing again. Drawing large gasps of breath into her lungs; her whole body throbbed and quivered. She felt light-headed and sleepy. Above her, Logan smiled, a self-satisfied look on his face. He smoothed her hair off her forehead. Slowly and somewhat painfully, Logan raised himself off Rogue's limp body. As Logan moved, Rogue became acutely aware of his condition.

Rogue's eyes flew open and she asked, "You di-didn't, uh.y-know?"

Logan dropped himself to Rogue's left and shook his head. Stretching out on his side, Logan tried to shift his noticeable bulge. Rogue reached out a timid hand only to be stopped by Logan. Logan shook his head again and said, "I don't expect anything from you, Marie. Truth is that I didn't expect this to happen so quickly and it won't be happening again anytime soon."

Hushing her protesting face, Logan continued, "No, really, Marie, tonight was just for you. I meant what I said when I said at your pace and when you're ready."

Rogue looked down, saw the sizeable protrusion and quickly looked away. Bringing her eyes back to Logan's, Rogue inquired, "Did you like it?"

Logan brushed his thumb over Rogue's cheek and teased, "Like what?"

Rogue blushed and swallowed before saying, "Y'know what we.what just happened."

Logan suppressed a laugh and smiled widely instead. "Yeah, Marie. I liked it a lot," Logan assured.

Sitting up, Logan got off the bed and held out a hand. Rogue took Logan's hand and let him pull her into a sitting position. A few seconds later, Rogue smoothed out her hair, attempted to stand up and found her legs wobbly. He steadied her with an arm around her waist and directed her toward the door. Logan guided Rogue out into the hallway and closed the door behind them. Finally arriving at her bedroom, Logan placed a gloved hand over Rogue's mouth. Leaning down, Logan pressed his lips against the back of his glove. Rogue closed her eyes and kissed Logan's palm.

From down the hall, giggling sounded. Rogue and Logan looked in the direction of the laughter and saw two doors suddenly close. Logan laughed. Rogue smiled and blushed. Grabbing hold of and quickly turning the doorknob, Rogue backed away into her bedroom and said, "Goodnight, Logan."

Logan brought his hand up to his forehead and bounced two fingers lightly from his temple to Rogue before turning around and walking back down the hall. Rogue watched him leave and giggled quietly when she saw him reach down and adjust himself again just before he turned the corner.

The next morning, Rogue walked into the parking garage just as the X-Men were packing up the SUV. Approaching Logan, Rogue wrapped her arms around him and rested her head on his chest. Logan placed a gloved hand on her head and rested his chin on the back of his hand. Pulling back, Rogue spread a piece of her scarf across Logan's mouth and nose. Reaching up on tiptoes, Rogue placed a small, chaste kiss on Logan's lips. Breaking off the kiss, Rogue let a tear
fall as she said, "Come back to me."

Logan nodded and placed a hand across her forehead, kissing the back of his hand. Storm placed a hand on Logan's shoulder and said, "Logan, it's time to go."

Logan stepped away from Rogue and walked over the SUV. Entering the vehicle, Logan took one last look at Rogue before closing the door. Shortly thereafter, the SUV took off. As the vehicle departed, Rogue felt her control collapse. Quickly, she brought her hands up to her face and started to cry.

 

Chapter Five: Profit and Loss

The next week and a half became the hardest Rogue endured in a long time. She walked around in a daze. Her fellow students tried to help her out by giving her notes when they saw her spend a class hour staring out the window. Even Professor Xavier consoled her as much as he could, but eventually he had to leave, piloting the jet to Switzerland. With no one left to teach them, the kids got an unexpected vacation. The lack of routine only made Rogue feel empty. It left her with entirely too much time alone with her own thoughts.

One day, word finally came that the jet was returning to the mansion. Eagerly, Rogue waited in the hanger while the jet landed. Anxiously, Rogue watched the door open. The first person to walk off the plane was Storm. Storm looked at Rogue with tear-filled eyes and approached the girl slowly. Rogue saw the look on Storm's face and understood it all too plainly. Shaking her head, Rogue repeated, "No."

Again and again, Rogue said the word until Storm placed her arms around her and held her tightly. Rogue choked out, "What happened? Where is he?"

Scott walked up, followed by Jean and Professor Xavier. Scott placed a gloved hand on Rogue's head. Clearing his throat, Scott answered, "I'm so sorry, Rogue, but we lost him. We were all together and then there was an explosion. When the air cleared, Magneto's men were storming our position and Wolverine was nowhere in sight. We had to get out of there. The Professor picked us up and we used the jet to delay their progress so that the diplomats could have time to escape. I wish there was more I could tell you."

Her eyes darting about quickly, Rogue pushed away from Storm and backed away from the group. "You just left him. How could you just leave him?"

Pointing at Scott, Rogue yelled, "He doesn't even like you and still he would have never left you behind."

Guilt flooded Scott's soul as Rogue spoke. In response, Scott bowed his head and looked at the floor. Jean stepped forward and yelled, "That's enough! Scott didn't want to leave him behind, but if we hadn't left just when we did, then Magneto's men would have caught us. Scott did what he had to do to save the team."

Rogue glared at Jean and accused, "That's easy for you to say. Your man is here!"

Turning on her heel, Rogue ran out of the hanger. Close behind her, Jean followed. Scott moved to chase after both of them, but Xavier's hand on his arm stopped him.

From down a carpeted hall, the sound of sobbing could be heard. Behind a solid oak door, a grief-stricken Rogue set up a holy image and a candle. After lighting the candle, she knelt in front of the flickering flame and prayed to the God of her childhood.

The opening of a door intruded into this sacred moment.

Jean Grey walked into the room ripe for battle. She stood in her dark blue, leather uniform, her weight balanced on spread legs. She was prepared to attack verbally and possibly physically until the scene before her stopped her in her tracks.

Feverishly, Rogue rocked back and forth as she prayed. Her gloves were tossed on the floor. Tears ran down her cheeks and splashed on her bare hands that were clutched in prayer. Taking a step forward, Jean almost stumbled from the force of her grief.

Pointing at the porcelain statue, Jean asked, "What is that?"

Looking over at Jean, Rogue explained, "That's Saint Jude. He's the Patron Saint of Lost Causes. My Mother gave it to me just before I ran away. She said Saint Jude would have a soft place in his heart for our kind and I'm hoping she was right. Now, if you don't mind."

Jean nodded and left the room, closing the door behind her.

-------------------{((<0>))}-----------------

That night, Professor Xavier used Cerebro to locate Logan. The Professor found him, fighting his way through the wilderness, freezing in the snow. Scott was dispatched immediately to pick up him and bring him back to the mansion.

On his own errand, Professor Xavier went to Rogue's room. He knocked softly on the door and received a soft "come in" in response. Opening the door, Xavier entered the room and found Rogue on the floor; kneeling in the same position Jean left her in the night before. Her tear-stained face turned toward him as he approached her. As he told her they had found Logan, Xavier saw life return to her eyes.

Relieved beyond words, she placed her head on his knees and cried harder than before. Xavier's heart went out to the young girl, but explained, "Rogue, I'm glad everything worked out well, but you need to remember if this happens again that Logan chose to go out on this mission. The missions the X-Men commit are dangerous and each member knows he could die as a result. Therefore, you shouldn't lash out at the other members of the team like you did last night."

Rogue rubbed her scratchy, burning eyes against Xavier's legs and replied, "But they left him to die."

Professor Xavier responded, "No, they did what they had to do. In the end, all you did was push away your support network. Any one of them would have comforted you, Rogue. You just had to give them a chance."

Rogue looked up at Xavier and said, "It's not that easy, Professor. Everyone here is very kind, but I can see the fear in their eyes when they see me take off my gloves or when I wear short sleeves or short skirts. They're afraid I'll hurt them. Only Logan never cared and yet he's the only one who actually knows how it feels to touch me. Somehow, he always managed to be careful in a way that didn't involve avoiding physical contact with me."

Xavier looked at the girl kneeling before him with sympathetic eyes. He pulled a handkerchief from his jacket and placed his hand on Rogue's head. He watched as a solitary tear rolled down her cheek. "I'm afraid we've not done right by you, Rogue. I regret that fact and I promise I will try to do better from now on."

The Professor continued to soothingly caress Rogue's scalp as he recalled, "I remember the first time you touched Logan. When he came to, his first concern was of you. That was the moment I realized he carried a deep affection for you."

Rogue placed her head down on Xavier's knees again and wrapped her arms around his legs. Urging her to speak, Xavier requested, "Rogue, tell me about Logan."

In a small voice, Rogue reminisced, "The first time I ever saw Logan, he was fighting in a cage."

-------------------{((<0>))}-----------------

Six hours later, the jet returned to base. Scott helped Jean escort Logan to sickbay. They placed his freezing body in a prepared tank of water. Quietly, Jean started the slow process of increasing the water's temperature a degree at a time.

Alone in the examination room, Jean watched over Logan as he slowly regained consciousness. Logan looked around lazily before resting his eyes on Jean. Logan tried to speak, but Jean motioned for him to be quiet. She walked over to him and placed her hand on his forehead and advised, "I don't think you should try to speak yet. Your body is healing quickly, but even your mutant abilities can only do so much. Normally, it would take a person weeks to recover from that kind of exposure, but, of course, for you, it'll probably only take an hour or two more. Your body is almost at room temperature now. Once we get you up to 98.6 degrees, you can get out of the water, okay?"

Logan nodded and searched the room again. Jean addressed Logan, "She'll be here soon, Logan. I wanted you out of the tank before you tried to exert yourself."

Jean looked down at Logan and continued, "I don't know how else to say this, so I'm just going to say it. I'm so sorry, Logan. I've been terrible to you and Rogue. The only excuse I have for myself is that I spent the last year thinking you were in love with me. Don't get me wrong. I love Scott, but it fed my ego to think I had an admirer. You see, Logan. I've only been with Scott. There has never been anyone else. I guess I just lost myself in the fantasy of a choice. When you said you loved Rogue, I lost that fantasy and it was hard to let go, but I've seen Rogue the past couple days.and I've felt her. Her grief was so profound, Logan. I just know she must love you with her whole heart. Someday, I hope you both can forgive me for the things I've said."

In Logan's eyes, Jean saw his response. Thankful, Jean nodded her head and walked over to the light control and dimmed the lights. Looking over at Logan, Jean commanded, "Get some sleep, Logan. When you wake up, Rogue will be here."

Logan could hear muffled voices all around him. As he wrenched himself out of the blurry world surrounding him, the sounds slowly came into focus.

"He's still very weak and probably will be for the next couple of hours."

"Will he be okay?"

"He's going to need his rest, but I expect him to make a complete recovery."

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me, it's his mutation that's kept him alive."

Logan struggled to speak and after some initial gurgling, finally said, "It wasn't the mutation that kept me alive."

Jean and Rogue turned their heads quickly, just in time to see Logan open his eyes. Looking back and forth between Jean and Rogue, Logan finally centered on Rogue, smiled weakly and said, "Hi honey, I'm home."

As quietly as possible, Jean excused herself and walked out of the room. Once the door closed, Rogue rushed to Logan's side, placed a hand over his forehead and kissed the back of her hand. Rogue couldn't believe she could cry any more tears after the past couple days, but still, she felt salty drops sting at her eyes. She tried her hardest to blink them back, but was not entirely successful. Logan frowned as he saw three tears make their way down her cheeks.

Searching her face, Logan saw the evidence of hours of crying etched in the redness lining her otherwise beautiful eyes. "Gimme a smile, Marie."

Rogue brushed the tears off her face and smiled weakly.

Logan implored, "Come on, you can do better than that. Like that time I tickled you till you turned blue. Remember? I don't have the strength right now to wrestle you down or I'd get that smile the old fashioned way. Come on, I've just gotta see a beautiful, large smile."

Logan watched Rogue brighten and smile. "That's it. That's what saved me. The whole time I was out there, there were so many times that I wanted to stop, just stop because it was so hard to keep going, but you were there. Your smiling face floating right in front of me. That smile gave me the strength to keep walking a few more feet."

He reached for her hand, squeezed it and continued, "Y'see, you're what saved me. You're what kept me alive."

Rogue smiled widely and honestly now. She bent down and kissed the back of her hand again. Lowering her hand, Rogue brushed her fingertips across Logan's eyelids and kept them there until they remained closed. Quietly, Rogue pulled a chair over from across the room. Patiently, she curled up in the chair and watched him sleep.

A few hours later, Logan was well enough to go back to his room. Jean brought some clothes from his room and handed them to Rogue. Jean smiled a knowing smile at Rogue as she left the two of them alone. Rogue placed the clothes on a table and approached Logan. Gently, she helped him into a sitting position. Sitting there, Logan's feet dangled down and his sheet pooled around his waist. Blushing, Rogue brought over a short sleeve, blue-plaid, button-down shirt and helped Logan get in it.

Intensely, Logan watched all her actions. Slowly, his eyes traveled up and down her body taking in the glorious image of her. Rogue wore a simple blue dress with short sleeves that were tucked into her long, white gloves and a knee-length skirt that covered a pair of taut, bright white tights. Her hair hanged down loosely and brushed against his skin as she helped him put on his shirt. Gracefully, her arms wrapped around his neck as she adjusted his collar. Silently, she came to rest there - her arms positioned on his shoulders and her fingers lying motionless against the skin on the back of his neck.

Rogue leaned in until there was barely a breath between them. Logan couldn't feel her breath against his face, no doubt, because she had been holding it for some time. Finally, she exhaled and he could practically smell the innocence rolling off of her. He could see her fear of losing him and feel her joy due to his return, but more than anything Logan could sense her vulnerability. Looking in her eyes, he could see that she wanted to surrender to his embrace just so she could know that he was real.

Reaching up with trembling hands, Logan weakly grabbed Rogue's arms and pushed her away. Unable to look her directly in the face, Logan motioned at the rest of his clothes and said, "Could you hand me the rest of my clothes now, Marie?"

Disappointed, Rogue handed him the clothes and turned around when he prompted her to do so. She heard him struggle to stand and dress himself, but remained with her back to him. Finally, he softly touched her shoulder. Turning around, Rogue placed a strong arm around his waist and helped him back to his room.

Once inside Logan's bedroom, Rogue left Logan standing at the door as she turned down the bed. She walked over to his closet and pulled out a long-sleeve cotton shirt and a pair of sweats and turned back toward him. "It was sweet of Jean to bring by those clothes, but I think these will be more comfortable to sleep in, don't you?"

Tossing the clothes over to him, she turned around without being reminded. After he finished changing, she helped Logan over to the bed. Upon pulling the covers up to his chest, Rogue placed a gloved hand over his forehead and kissed the back of her glove. As she pulled away, Rogue met Logan's eyes. His eyes looked back with something between awe and devotion.

Reaching out a hand, Logan touched the wavy strands of brown and white hair that hanged down "Thanks."

Rogue's face filled with curiosity and asked, "For what?"

Logan replied, "Everything. For helping me. For just being you."

Rogue smiled warmly and said, "Well, don't thank me for being myself, I can only be myself, I don't know any other way to be. As for the helping part, that was really for my benefit 'cause y'know, I do keep you around for a reason."

Logan playfully leered at Rogue and said, 'Oh yeah, what reason is that?"

Rogue blushed and quickly looked away. Sitting beside Logan, Rogue took one of his hands and held it with both of her hands. Turning the hand one way and then the other, Rogue examined the back and palm of Logan's hand. Slowly, Rogue turned her head and raised her gaze to Logan's waiting face and asked, "Could I stay here, tonight?"

Concerned, not so much by the subject of her request as what might happen if he allowed her to stay, Logan inquired, "Why? Is there something wrong with your room?"

Looking down, Rogue nodded and replied, "Yes. I spent last night there alone, crying on the floor. Just for tonight, I need to be able to reach out and know you're still here."

There it was. Very plain. Everything he had sensed in her, told to him without him even having to ask. Logan knew real need when he heard it and he could hear it now in Rogue's voice and in the rapid beating of her heart, but he feared the defenselessness he saw when he brought his gaze to bear upon her.

When Logan looked at her, Rogue saw reluctance reflected in his eyes. Jumping to her feet, Rogue twirled around and stated, "Look, I'm wearing tights and my gloves are long and the sleeves of my dress are tucked in them. You won't get hurt."

Logan held his hand out and waited patiently until Rogue placed her hand in his. He pulled her close and lifting his blanket, drew her down onto the mattress beside him. Reaching into his nightstand, Logan pulled out a pair of gloves and slipped them on. Turning back over to Rogue, Logan ran his fingers through her hair and down her face and said, "I'm not afraid of you hurting me. Don't ever think that."

Biting her lip, Rogue nodded, turned away from Logan and laid down on her right side. Spooning his body against Rogue's, Logan placed his head on his pillow and fell asleep.

In midnight fantasies, Rogue could see herself as she once had been. Carefree and daring, she knelt on the bed that used to belong to her back in Meridian, Mississippi. Once again, it was the last day of that life. Against a map sprawled across the wall, she ran her bare finger along the trail she would eventually follow under less than thrilling circumstances. Looking over her shoulder, Rogue could see Cody laying there, looking up at her - all blond hair, blue eyes and impish smile.

She remembered their light banter. 'God! How easy it had been to speak of little things once.' She recalled how intense his eyes were when he propped himself up on his elbow and leaned in slowly to kiss her. Rogue relived the wave of fear that coursed through her body just before her gaze hit his lips and a strange sense of determination flooded her soul. Their lips touched so lightly, at first, only to be pressed a little harder.

In her dreams, Rogue allowed herself the privilege of remembering how lovely the lights that formed behind her eyelids had been and how she thought they must be the stars everyone said she would see. She recalled how she thought that amazing pulling in sensation must have been normal and so much more than she had ever hoped.

Suddenly, the dream shifted. Rogue could feel Logan above her, kissing her without anything between them. In fact, after a moment, Rogue realized nothing separated their bodies while Logan thrust between her thighs. The familiar drawing in began again. She saw Logan stiffen and the veins in his face pop out. Frantically, Rogue tried to get out from under Logan, but he was too heavy. She could feel his essence entering her. She could feel him weakening and started to cry. With all her strength, Rogue tried pushing Logan off of her and then she attempted rolling him off, all in the hope of saving him before he died, before she killed him.

Without waking, Rogue started to twist and turn under the covers on Logan's bed. Throwing them off, she struggled with a phantom Logan as the real one slowly awakened. Opening sleepy eyes, Logan watched as Rogue's body thrashed about like she was in a fight for her life. Momentarily stunned, Logan's eyes followed Rogue as she rolled right off the bed and landed with a solid "thud" on the floor.

Jumping up, Logan crossed over the bed and tried to grab Rogue's arms, but she kicked and punched at the air. Unsuccessful, Logan tried another approach. Pinning down her legs with his, Logan knelt down on the floor. Reaching down, Logan grabbed Rogue's forearms and pulled her up into a sitting position. Firmly, he shook her until her eyes opened and the fuzziness in them cleared. Startled, Rogue looked around and then lifted her gaze to Logan's concerned and bewildered face. Instantly, Rogue wrapped her arms around Logan's body and pressed her head against his chest and repeated, "You're okay. You're okay. You're okay.."

After a couple of minutes, Logan pushed Rogue away and helped her back onto the bed. He laid down beside her and, only after he knew she was calmed down, did he ask what the hell was that all about. Laughing nervously, she told him about the dream and was in tears by the end. Throughout the story, Logan held Rogue tightly and just nodded in understanding.

Eventually, Rogue pulled away and said, "I hadn't really thought of it before, but we can't make love, can we?"

Logan pulled away and rolled onto his back. He didn't like the direction in which this conversation was headed. He sighed a heavy sigh before looking Rogue in the face and responding, "I don't know about that. There are some people who would call what we did before I left making love."

Rogue rolled her eyes and lifted up on her elbow and looked down at Logan and stated, "That's not what I mean, Logan. I mean we can't.uh.y'know."

Her innocence pleased him and Logan smiled. Teasingly, Logan lifted a gloved hand to Rogue's face and stated, "Oh you mean sex. Can we have sex? Well, I don't want you to think I'm a pervert or that it's the only thing on my mind, but I have been giving this some thought and I think we could, but it doesn't matter because we won't be having sex anytime soon."

Rogue lifted an eyebrow, squinted at Logan and asked, "Oh really, and why is that?"

Logan smiled mischievously and answered, "Because, you just failed a very basic test."

Rogue rolled her eyes again and inquired, "Oh and what test is that?"

Logan ran a finger across Rogue's lower lip and replied, "If you can't say it, then you can't do it."

Rogue pulled away from his touch and opened her mouth in rebuttal, but nothing came out. For a couple seconds, her mouth remained open until finally she closed it and looked away. His comment burnt her up inside, not so much because it lacked any trace of tact, but because it was true. She couldn't say it. Remembering her exact words, Rogue mentally kicked herself for sounding like such a 'kid.' Frustrated, Rogue could just hear Logan laughing in her head and desperately wanted to show Logan that she wasn't a child, once and for all. Wrinkling her brow, Rogue formed a question in her mind she was sure a child would never ask. Returning her gaze to Logan's serious face, Rogue asked, "Logan, don't you ever wish you could just touch me?"

Logan looked Rogue in the eyes and answered, "Yes, of course, I do."

His answer hurt more than she thought it would. Quickly, Rogue turned away and Logan reached out and pulled her back as he continued, "I've also wished for a million dollars and a Caribbean Island, on occasion, and I don't see either of those wishes coming true anytime soon."

Rogue smacked Logan on the arm as she countered, "Logan! Stop making jokes. I'm serious."

Grabbing the hand that hit him, Logan pulled Rogue closer and responded, "So am I. Get this straight, Marie, so there's no more confusion. Yes, I want to touch you. I'd be lying if I said anything else, but I can live without it. You want to know why? I'll tell you why. Because the one time I touched you without being hurt, you were dying in my arms. On the torch, I touched your forehead. Your skin felt so smooth but it also felt lifeless. I thought I had lost you. I thought you were dead. If being able to touch you means you have to either be dead or dying, then I can live without touching you."

Rogue laid there in silence throughout Logan's speech and felt tears fill her eyes and love fill her heart. She felt foolish for feeling so hurt just moments before. She pulled her hand free of Logan's fierce grip and brought a piece of the sheet up to his mouth. Once Logan was finished speaking, Rogue spread the cloth across his face, looked onto his eyes and said, "I love you, Logan."

Leaning in, Rogue placed a soft, but firm kiss on Logan's lips. Filled with a rage that was spurred on by a bad memory, Logan forced an arm under her waist and pulled her in close while he gripped her hair with the other hand. Fiercely, Logan pressed his mouth against Rogue's and savagely attacked her tender lips. Desperately, Rogue pressed back in self-defense. Both her arms wound their way around his neck and held onto him as they devoured one another.

Finally, Logan felt himself gain back a little control. Gently, he kissed her one last time and pulled away. Resting on his back, Logan guided Rogue's head onto his chest and waited until her breathing became steady and slow before allowing himself to drift off to sleep as well.

 

Chapter Six: Announcements & Invitations

Several months passed. The seasons changed from winter to spring. Then one beautiful mid-April day, the mansion was aflutter with excited voices. On the lips of every teenage occupant, the news of the first prom to be held at the mansion spread like wildfire. Anxiety reigned supreme as young males stuttered out invitations to girls who prayed that they would be asked.

Professor Xavier smiled widely as a couple of his teenage charges hugged him tightly before running off to make plans. Looking across the room, Xavier saw Rogue in a circle of young girls, talking animatedly. A couple minutes later, he saw Logan stop by the room and look curiously at the commotion. Staring quizzically at the Professor, Logan held up his hands. Xavier waved him over and explained. Upon hearing the news, Logan slapped Xavier on the back and said, "You're a good man, Charlie Brown. These kids are going to love this."

The Professor rubbed his shoulder and responded, "Yes, and from the looks of it, a certain young lady is loving it very much."

Searching the room, Logan's eyes finally fell on Rogue's bright and beautiful face. Her eyes were opened wide and her mouth was turned up in a smile as she spoke quickly with the other girls. Looking to her side, Rogue caught sight of Logan. Her face brightened even more and her smile widened, taking Logan's breath away.

Saying something quickly, Rogue backed away from her friends and crossed the room to reach Logan's side. He watched her approach. He marveled at how she seemed to get more beautiful, more graceful everyday. Her hair bounced as she walked up to him and with a flip of her hand she tossed a lock of hair over her shoulder just before she reached out and wrapped her arms around Logan's waist.

Beside them, Professor Xavier watched Logan place a hand across Rogue's lips and kiss the back of his hand. The Professor watched Logan closely and admired Rogue for the peace he felt emanating from Logan's consciousness. At all times, Logan held Rogue like she was a prize and the treatment revealed itself in everything they did. Rogue had greater confidence. She walked through the hallways with her head held high. She no longer shied away from conversations or contact.

As for Logan, Rogue's influence on him was striking. In public, he smiled more often and, on occasion, even laughed. Xavier was pulled out of his reverie by a question posed by Rogue. "What made you think of throwing a prom, Professor?"

Shaking away his previous thoughts, Xavier paused before her answered, "Well, we finally have enough teenagers to make it worthwhile. Also, I think some of my past classes may have thought they missed out on something by not having one."

Rogue nodded and commented, "I agree. I had thought I would never go to a prom after I ran away from home and dropped out of school. I feel like I've regained something I thought I lost."

Xavier nodded. He looked out at the happy group of teenagers in front of him and sat higher in his wheelchair before saying, "It was a very good decision, but I can't take all the credit for it. Jean and Scott were the ones to mention it to me."

Rogue laid her head on Logan's chest and said, "I'll be sure to thank them later."

The Professor nodded and excused himself. As he left the room, Xavier looked back at Logan and Rogue one last time before smiling and continuing on his way.

That night at dinner, Jean smiled widely as Scott tapped his spoon against the side of his glass, gaining everyone's attention. Rising to his feet, Scott looked down into Jean's eyes and announced, "Everyone, I have an announcement to make. This morning, I asked Jean, this beautiful, graceful woman, to be my wife."

Everyone cheered and Logan leaned forward and asked the obvious question, "So, what did she say?"

Scott turned and looked at Logan with a confused face. Realizing what he said, Scott turned red and laughed as he replied, "She said yes and that's not all."

Looking at Jean for permission, Scott continued after Jean nodded and blew him a kiss. "Jean has made me the happiest man in the world by making me a father."

The room erupted in congratulations. Storm walked around the table and hugged Jean. Logan and Rogue walked over to Scott. Logan stopped short in front of Scott and said, "I don't know about that happiest man part, but congratulations, one-eye."

Scott tilted his head to the side and nodded before offering his hand to Logan. In a replay of the first time Scott did that, Logan stared at Scott's hand for a second. Just when it seemed that Logan wouldn't take Scott's hand; Logan reached out and grabbed it. Quickly, to the shock of everyone, Logan pulled Scott into a backslapping hug.

Letting go of a startled Scott, Logan turned to Jean. She mouthed a 'thank you' before sliding her arms around Logan's neck and hugging him. As people quieted down, Jean turned to the Professor and asked, "Professor, would you give me away?"

Professor Xavier blinked back a couple tears before saying, "Of course."

Jean wrapped her arms around Xavier's neck and kissed his forehead. Turning to Storm, Jean asked, "Will you be my maid of honor, Ororo?"

Storm agreed enthusiastically and smiled widely. Setting aside old grudges, Rogue stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Jean. Pulling away, Rogue congratulated Jean, found Logan and stood beside him while the rest of the mansion's inhabitants drew closer to congratulate Jean and Scott.

Later that night, in Logan's room, Logan watched Rogue curiously. She was quiet and distracted. She had been all through dinner. The others hadn't noticed because she smiled widely and nodded when addressed, but Logan noticed that something was off. Once inside his room, she collapsed onto his bed. Sitting sullenly, Rogue raised her arms over her head and leaned backwards until she fell back on the covers.

Logan walked over to the bed and kneeled onto the mattress. Stretching out, he laid down beside her. Propping himself up on his left elbow, Logan leaned over Rogue and asked, "What's wrong, Marie?"

Rogue replied, "Nothing, really."

Logan lifted an eyebrow and countered, "Oh really, Marie. I saw how upset you were at dinner. You may have fooled them, but you didn't fool me."

Rogue looked at Logan and smiled. 'He knows me so well.'

Rogue ran a hand over Logan's chest and spoke, "I'm happy for Jean. I really am. It's just - It's just that she seems to have so much, so many things I will never have."

Logan's eyes narrowed as he asked, "Like what things?"

Rogue tried to look away but Logan gripped her chin in his fingers and forced her to look him in the eyes. "What things, Marie?" Rogue whispered, "Like an intimate relationship. A physical relationship. A baby growing inside of her."

Logan rubbed Rogue's cheek with his thumb and replied, "Now, granted, you can't get pregnant, but Marie, there are a lot of women who can't have children. You're not alone on that score."

Rogue nodded sadly and said, "Yeah, I know. Only problem is that I don't think the knowledge that they're not alone is very comforting to any of those women either."

Logan ran his hand down Rogue's body before resting his hand on her waist. "There are options, y'know. If you want a baby someday, then we could adopt."

Rogue rolled her eyes and inquired, "Who would let two mutants adopt a baby, Logan?"

Logan shifted closer to Rogue and said, "Lot's of people. Especially if they're trying to unload a mutant child."

Rogue smiled wistfully and then frowned deeply. "I don't think it would be a good idea, Logan. What if, by accident, I touched the baby? I could kill it. I can't take that risk."

Logan gripped Rogue's hip and turned her toward him and looked her directly in the eyes and said, "You can't live your life worrying about what might happen, Marie. Besides, I'm around you all the time. I get closer to toughing you than anyone else and nothing happens. Or, at least, I better be the only person who gets this close to touching you."

For a second, Rogue attempted a sly look. In response, Logan growled and tightened his grip on her waist. Throwing back her head, Rogue laughed and laughed until the pain of the previous exchange receded. Reaching into Logan's back pocket, Rogue pulled out his handkerchief and placed it over her lower face and neck, beckoning Logan with her enthusiasm.

Logan placed his covered hands on Rogue's cheeks and leaned in toward her. Softly, so softly, Logan kissed her, cherishing the contours of her lips. Slowly, Logan started placing kisses on Rogue's cheek, nose, chin and neck. In between pants, Rogue asked, "Logan, can you do anything about the other thing Jean has that I don't?"

For a second, Logan considered holding off. For months now, Logan had restrained himself from holding Rogue too intimately. True to his word, Logan went at Rogue's pace. He never rushed her and often held back for fear of it being to soon. Normally, Logan could discern the lust from the love in Rogue's eyes, but, at this moment, he could not.

In Rogue's half-closed eyes, love shined through a veil made up of the need to be a regular woman held secure in the arms of her lover. Logan realized Rogue needed to have her sexuality confirmed. She needed to be assured that she was an alluring and enticing woman, even if she couldn't be toughed. At that moment, Logan decided he was more than willing to prove how desirable he found her.

Smiling hungrily, Logan rolled Rogue onto her back and proceeded to roll on top of her. Logan nestled his body between her open thighs and forced an arm under the small of her back. Raising her back up, Logan took in the sight of her covered breasts jutting out at him. Slowly, he lowered his head to the underside of Rogue's breasts and sucked in the cloth-covered flesh while he slipped a gloved hand into the back of her jeans.

Rogue gasped at the feeling of his wet mouth travelling over her sensitive flesh and of his warm hand cupping her. Through his gloves, she could feel his warmth and started to squirm from a familiar heat that started between her thighs and spread throughout her body. Raising her hips to Logan's, Rogue strained for release.

Thrusting against her, Logan started to kiss his way up her covered chest, neck and chin. Finally landing on Rogue's lips, Logan kissed her hungrily as he ran his right hand through her hair and slipped his left hand out of the back of her jeans and slid it back in the front of her jeans.

Rogue's back arched off the bed when Logan's hand came into contact with the soft flesh between her thighs. Quickly, Logan's fingers found the small bundle of nerves buried within the folds of flesh and rubbed it with small, fast, sharp circles. Immediately, Rogue started rolling her head back and forth. Her breath was short and her eyes were glazed over. Unable to think, Rogue could only feel the delicious sensations prompted by Logan kissing her shoulder and sucking harder on her neck where her pulse pounded out its beat.

Without warning, Rogue's body erupted and turned liquid. Logan held her tightly as she came back down to earth. He smoothed her hair away from her forehead and listened to her whimpers and the almost endless litany of words that boiled down to Rogue loving him and only him.

After her mind cleared, Rogue looked up at Logan and said, "I can feel that I had an effect on you."

Shrugging, Logan looked down to where their pelvises still pressed against one another. As he started to get up, Logan felt Rogue tug on his T-shirt. Curiously, Logan looked up into her welcoming eyes. Slowly, she shook her head and rolled Logan onto his back. "Not this time, Logan. I'm not going to let you take another cold shower."

Logan held Rogue's forearms and Rogue at bay and said, "Marie, you don't have to."

Rogue smiled seductively and replied, "I know that. You're not forcing me to do anything I don't want to do."

When she raised her gaze to his, her eyes were determined. Reaching over Logan's head, Rogue pulled over the square of white cloth as she straddled Logan's waist. Spreading the handkerchief across his mouth, Rogue told Logan, "This time. This is just for you."

Leaning over, Rogue pressed her open mouth to Logan's. Sliding her hands away from his face and down his chest, she trailed the edge of his shirt with her fingers. She brought her fingers back up to his throat and rolled the collar between her fingers. Sliding down Logan's body, Rogue pressed her ass against the hard bulge in his jeans. In response, Logan let out a moan and placed his hands on Rogue's hips to maintain the pressure.

Leaning over Logan, Rogue ran her fingers down his cotton shirt until her hands paused just above Logan's stomach. Confidently, Rogue slipped her hands under the shirt and ran her hands over Logan's tense chest muscles. Softly blowing air onto his skin, Rogue reveled in the sight of Logan's muscles dancing. Leaning forward, Rogue firmly pressed her lips against Logan's covered neck. Careful not to touch his skin, Rogue inched down, sucking on his flesh.

Her hands slid down his body coming to rest on his pelvis while she tickled his left nipple with her tongue. Looking up, Rogue could see Logan's pleasure filled face, his head thrown back and his mouth open. She could feel his hands on her arms and back, fiercely grasping at her flesh. Cautiously, she started moving her hands toward their final destination and reached for the button on his jeans.

Within an inch of their objective, Rogue's hands stopped because her arms were grasped in the grip of two large hands. Logan looked at directly at Rogue. Examining Logan's serious face, Rogue stared intently at Logan as she freed her right arm from his grasp and slipped her hand behind the waistband. Freeing her other hand, Rogue undid his pants and pulled down the zipper.

Surrendering to Rogue's persistent touch, Logan lifted his hips off the mattress, helping Rogue take off his jeans and boxers. Careful to avoid direct skin-to-skin contact, Rogue slithered up Logan's body, stopping at the hard pillar of flesh that pointed up at her. Rogue reached over and grabbed the white cotton handkerchief and pulled it off Logan's face.

Lying down between Logan's thighs, Rogue placed the white cloth over the throbbing muscle and wrapped her hand around it. Rogue felt a feminine power run through her as she listened to Logan moan. A few moments latter, she felt a feminine satisfaction fill her as she watched him writhe due to her touch. His legs twitched under her uncontrollably as she ran her hand up and down his
hard flesh, but it was the feeling of her young lips clasping onto the swollen tip that caused Logan to spring into a half-sitting position.

As he lowered himself back down to the bed, Logan's hand gripped the top of Rogue's head. Looking up, Rogue smiled at Logan's face. His visage was intensely serious, his chin was set and a tick on his temple was going a mile a minute. Running her lips up and down the hard shaft, Rogue started to feel Logan shake harder.

As Logan felt the wetness of Rogue's mouth seep through the square of cotton, the tension in his body increased. A fact punctuated by Logan raising his hands over his head and punching the pillow under his head a second before his claws extended, slicing the pillow to shreds. He ground his teeth harder and bucked against Rogue's open mouth that now sucked Logan's flesh. Her hands squeezed the base of his shaft and held the handkerchief over him tightly. Looking down, Rogue smiled mischievously as placed her left hand on his testicles and squeezed softly. This final gesture pushed Logan over the edge. He grabbed what was left of the pillow under his head and came.

Greatly satisfied with herself, Rogue pulled herself up Logan's body until her face floated just above his. Logan opened his eyes and felt his body compensating for the exertion he just experienced. Retracting his claws, he brought his gloved hands up to Rogue's face and smiled sleepily. Rogue blushed and asked, "Did you like that?"

Logan slammed his head into the shredded pillow below him. Bringing his head back up, Logan looked Rogue in the eyes and replied, "Isn't it obvious?"

Rogue bit her lower lip, nodded and added, "Yeah, but it's nice to hear it."

Licking her lips, Rogue smiled down at Logan's following eyes and continued, "Logan, you once said you thought we could make love.uh.have sex. Were you serious back then or just saying that to make me feel better?"

Logan looked up at Rogue curiously and asked, "Why?"

Rogue shifted to the side until she rested on her side beside Logan before replying, "I want to make love to you, Logan."

Logan's eyes grew large at her bluntness. Composing himself, Logan said, "Oh, yeah? Is that so."

Rogue nodded and asserted, "I want to know what it feels like to be with you in the most intimate way. I want to feel you thrusting into me and know that you are all I'm ever going to need for the rest of my life."

Again, Logan stared wide-eyed at Rogue. He never expected her to be so explicit, but her frankness surprised and pleased him. Placing his hand over her mouth, Logan kissed Rogue and said, "I wasn't lying, Marie. I would never lie to you. I think we could, but I don't want to rush you into something you might regret latter."

Rogue grazed his left cheek with the back of her fingers and replied, "Logan, I don't regret anything I've done so far. I love you and I want to make love to you. The only question that remains is whether you want to make love to me."

Logan rolled over to his side. Reaching out, Logan pulled Rogue's thigh over his hip and wrapped a strong arm around her waist. "Darlin', I've dreamt of little else ever since I fell in love with you."

 

Chapter Seven: Preparations

The weeks before the prom were accompanied by periods of insanity and extreme madness. The dresses the girls ordered were shipped late from the manufacturer, leaving only a week to get alterations done. Two weeks before, two of the girls and three of the boys came down with a highly contagious form of stomach flu. They were quarantined, but that didn't keep the flu from
running its course. Up until a couple days before the prom, there were sick people running in and out of the bathroom. Worst hit was Jean because she couldn't take the drugs the others could. Poor Scott! She made his life hell.

In fact, the morning of the prom, Logan closed his bedroom door and started walking down the hall. Turning the corner, Logan almost slammed headfirst into Scott. Jumping back, Logan and Scott relaxed a second later and Logan examined the tray Scott was holding. German dark chocolate cut into little pie-shaped wedges, French cheeses and petite crackers graced the metal surface. Scott checked everything and let out a loud breath. Logan raised an eyebrow and asked, "Well, I guess Jean's feeling better, huh?"

Scott looked up and answered, "Well, she doesn't have the stomach flu anymore."

Logan laughed and shook his head as he inquired, "You poor bastard! Y'know, Scott, was it just me or did I see the Jet fly away last night, about three in the morning?"

Scott shifted from one foot to the other and blushed. "That was me," raising the tray, Scott continued, "Jean had a craving."

Logan laughed again and whistled. "She has got you whipped, boy."

Scott nodded, turned away, walked down the hall and called back, "It takes one to know, Logan."

Growling over what Scott said, Logan made his way to the cafeteria. Finding Rogue already there, Logan walked up to the buffet style breakfast counter and picked up some eggs, bacon and toast. He poured himself a cup of coffee and walked over to the table at which Rogue was sitting. Rogue greeted him with a warm smile. After Logan placed his tray on the table, Rogue reached out and took hold of his arm and pulled him to her side. Leaning down, Logan placed a hand over Rogue's mouth and kissed her.

They exchanged happy smiles and hellos before Logan sat down and started to eat his breakfast. Happily, Logan listened to Rogue go on an on about the last minute things she was doing for the prom. The ballroom had already been decorated in black, white and red. Offhandedly, Rogue wondered how other schools got streamers stuck to the ceiling without students who could fly. The band had been hired and confirmed. The dinner menu had been reserved and the tables set up. Logan nodded at every bit of news and assured Rogue that it would be great.

Into this pleasant banter, Storm intruded, carrying a package. Logan and Rogue looked up when Storm placed a small package on the table between them. Storm placed her hand on her hip and addressed Logan; "Here's another package with your name on it, Logan. What is that, the third one this week?"

Logan shrugged and pulled the package over. Balancing the box on one of its corners, Logan ignored Storm while he read the address label. Rogue glanced apologetically at Storm and shrugged. Tossing her hair over her shoulder, Storm walked away quickly, her heels tapping angrily against the floor. Squinting at Logan, Rogue crossed her arms over her chest and asked, "What was that all about, Logan?"

Looking up from the package, Logan smiled and replied, "What was what all about?"

Pointing at the package, Rogue inquired, "What's so secret in that box that you don't want Storm to know about it?"

Logan placed the box down on the table and answered, "Oh nothing, I just hate how she always tries to stick her nose in my business."

Rogue shook her head and asked, "So, what's in the box?"

Logan looked into Rogue's eyes and said, "What box?"

Rogue's eyes narrowed as she cross-examined, "The box on the table, Logan. What is in the box, right here, on the table?"

Logan raised an eyebrow and a small smile spread across his face.

"Gloves."

Rogue pulled away and sat up in her chair. Wrinkling her forehead, Rogue asked, "Gloves? You mail order gloves now. Isn't that expensive?"

Logan sat back in his seat and answered, "Not just any gloves, Marie. These are made for my hands only. Also, they are made of a special material that's soft and thin."

Leaning forward, Logan took Rogue's hand in his and squeezed it before he continued; "They'll make it easier for me to feel you."

Rogue swallowed hard and looked at the box. Softly, she asked, "Can I see them?"

"Sure."

Standing up, Logan led Rogue out of the hall, the package gripped under his arm.

In Logan's room, Rogue saw two opened boxes in the corner. Turning to Logan, she watched him extend his claws and slice the box open. Gingerly, Logan pulled a couple pairs of black gloves out of the box. Quickly, Logan pulled the gloves he was currently wearing off and pulled on the new brown gloves. Perfectly, the gloves formed to his hands. Turning to Rogue, Logan reached out his hands and cupped her face.

Rogue was startled at how smooth and soft the fabric was. She practically purred as Logan ran his thumbs over her lips. For Logan, the product was everything it claimed to be. The fabric was so thin that it practically felt like skin. Through this smooth barrier, Logan felt every line and dip and curve of Rogue's skin, but, more importantly, he could feel every degree of heat radiating off of her. "Do you like the way they feel?"

Without opening her eyes, Rogue nodded her head and rubbed her face against his hands. Logan almost growled as he watched Rogue slink against him like a kitten. Lowering his hands, Logan gripped Rogue's shoulders and pulled her close so that she couldn't see the obvious lust in his eyes. Rogue wasn't fooled but still, she laid her head on Logan's shoulder and asked, "What's in the other boxes?"

Looking over at the boxes in the corner, Logan looked conflicted for a second before offering a small smile. "I've been working on that request of yours."

Rogue looked puzzled for a second, before realization dawned. Blushing madly, Rogue walked over to the corner and picked up the boxes and brought them back to the bed. Placing them, one beside the other, on the bed, Rogue proceeded to open the larger of the two. What Rogue found puzzled her.

Lying folded in the box was the softest, smoothest bolt of pure white French silk that Rogue had ever seen. Pulling it out of the box, Rogue slowly unfolded it. After about eight turns of the cloth, Rogue came upon a heavily embroidered, but delicate pattern of needlework. The stitching formed roses and swirls, all surrounding a four-inch slit. Carefully, Rogue ran her fingertips over the hundreds of tiny stitches, stopping her hand at the slit. Looking up at Logan, Rogue's face expressed her confusion. Taking the fabric from Rogue, Logan raised an edge and rubbed it against Rogue's cheek. The mixture of coolness and warmth she detected from the fabric shocked Rogue.

Smiling, Logan explained, "I got this sheet from Mexico. There, it's an old custom for a bride to wear this on her wedding night. It allows just enough access to allow the marriage to be consummated."

Rogue looked curiously at Logan and asked, "You mean to tell me that there are people out there that can touch each other and use one of these so that they don't."

Logan replied, "Got it in one. Never said it made any sense, but their loss is our gain."

Noticing how Rogue's eyes roamed over the embroidered center of the sheet, Logan reached out and took hold of Rogue's hand. Gently, he raised her hand to his lips and kissed her fingertips. He ran his eyes over her beautiful face before centering in on her eyes. His eyes softened when he saw the love in her eyes. Quietly, he whispered, "Now that you know that this is here I don't want you think I'm rushing you. Just know that when the moment is right, this will be here, waiting for us."

Warmly, Rogue smiled and asked, "Logan, what about the hole? Um.How have you taken care of that contact?"

Pulling away from Rogue, Logan opened the other box and pulled out a strange looking piece of plastic. Holding it out, Logan produced the clear plastic harness. Shaped like a thong, the harness had a perfectly round hole in the front of it. Blushing, Rogue reached out a hand to touch the plastic, but reconsidered. Pulling her hand back, Rogue lifted an eyebrow and asked, "Who's going to be wearing this?"

Almost blushing, Logan laughed nervously as he answered, "I will be."

Rogue's eyes ran up and down Logan's body for a second. Flushing hotly, Rogue dragged her eyes back up to Logan's face and asked, "What is it, exactly?"

Logan placed it back in its box and explained, "Saw this thing in a magazine once.and no, you may not know which one, and it seems that people use this as a kind of uh.splash guard. One uses it with a condom. It's supposed to keep any fluids from being exchanged."

Rogue blushed, but nodded her understanding. Suddenly quiet, Rogue sat on Logan's bed and stared at the boxes. Concerned, Logan pushed the boxes aside and sat beside Rogue. "What's the matter, Marie?"

Rogue raised her gaze to Logan's eyes and said, "It's-.I.Just that.Don't worry about it. It's nothing. I'm being stupid."

Quickly, Rogue looked away. Logan gripped Rogue's chin and raised it until Rogue was facing him. Firmly, Logan said, "Don't ever say that."

Rogue nodded and replied, "It's just that I know I can't be touched, skin-to-skin that is, but, I hadn't realized until right now that you'd be wearing a condom. Isn't that going to take something away from you?"

Staring at Rogue like she had grown a second head, Logan shook his head and answered, "No, not really. I mean I have worn condoms before, Marie."

Rogue looked down at her hands and whispered, "But not with me."

Without raising her head, Rogue raised her eyes to look at Logan's face and continued, "I just want this to be special for you, too."

Logan didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that, so he smiled instead. Running a finger down a long strand of Rogue's hair, Logan said, "Listen, Marie, making love to you is going to special for me regardless of what I'm wearing. Also, you need to know that I would be wearing a condom regardless of whether I could touch you or not. You may be a woman to me, Marie, but you're still a young woman. I wouldn't take the chance of getting you pregnant so young."

Rogue rolled her eyes and replied with a touch of sadness in her voice, "Yeah, there's at least one thing I don't have to worry about."

Logan countered, "Not necessarily."

Tilting her head to the side, Rogue stared at Logan as he continued, "I've been thinking again. I know - will wonders never cease. At first, I was just going to use something thin, probably sheepskin to avoid contact, but then, I started thinking, what if we're wrong. What if you can get pregnant? I mean, you still get a period and that means you're probably not infertile."

Almost afraid to hear the words come out of her mouth, Rogue leaned forward and whispered, "You think that I could have a baby? How Logan? I would draw the life out of any child."

Logan responded, "Would you? You don't hurt yourself when you touch yourself and any child would be half you and I have a healing factor the child might inherit. There was enough of a risk that I wanted to make sure it couldn't happen. That's why I bought the harness."

Rogue's face lit up. In her head, the wheels were turning. In her heart, a dream that had all but died came roaring back to life. Loudly, she sighed and said, "I think that's the most wonderful thing I've ever heard, Logan. It's crazy, I know, but it gives me hope."

Logan placed a hand over Rogue's lips and kissed her. Sighing again, Rogue leaned forward and rested her head against Logan's shoulder. Absently, she glanced at her watch to check the time.

Suddenly, Rogue jumped up. Staring at her watch, Rogue rushed for the door. Turning back towards a shocked and curious Logan, Rogue exclaimed, "I almost forgot. I and the other girls, we've got appointments at a salon in town. I've got to go now or I'll be late."

Smiling broadly, Rogue opened the door and continued, "See you later tonight, Logan."

Logan called out to Rogue as she left his room, "I'll pick you up at seven."

 

Chapter Eight: Rites and Offerings

Nervously, Rogue looked in the mirror and wished. She turned her head from side to side and hoped. A knock at the door startled her even though she had been expecting it. Allowing herself a moment to collect her thoughts, Rogue crossed the room, took a deep breath and opened the door.

On the other side, Logan stood, holding a small arrangement of red roses. He didn't wear a traditional tuxedo. Instead, Logan wore a black dinner jacket with narrow lapels and black embroidery on the collar. Underneath the jacket, Logan wore a matching black, button down shirt and a pair of black slacks. Shining out from his chest, in contrast to the rest of his attire, was a
narrow, bright red tie. He looked every bit like a dark God and Rogue found herself wanting to go down on her knees and pray.

For Logan, at the moment he first saw Rogue, he fought the urge to pick her up, yell, "Fuck the prom!" and carry her off to his room. She was like a dream from which he never wanted to wake. Her hair was pulled up into a French roll. Her white streak had been spread out so it raced across her hair-do like a flame. At her temples, two thin spit curls curled around her cheeks, framing her face. A simple pair of pearl drop earrings adorned her ears. Long white gloves were drawn up her arms, but her shoulders were bare under a thin, dark crimson wrap. Smooth folds ran from the edge of the bodice to the floor where the skirt grazed the ground. For a second, they just stood and devoured the sight of each other, completely involved in the act of memorizing each line and
shadow.

At last, Rogue smiled and tilted her head to the side as she blushed. Logan stepped forward and handed the flowers and his arm to Rogue. Making a slight curtsey, Rogue slid her arm around Logan's arm and, slowly, they made their way through the halls.

Arriving at the main ballroom, Logan guided Rogue to their table. After everyone arrived, the dinner was served. Although the room was filled with voices, for Logan and Rogue, the room was empty except for themselves. Together, they ate in a comfortable silence, never looking away from each other. Too soon, dinner was over and music started to play. Most of the songs bothered Logan - They were simply not his style.

Looking across the table, Logan saw Rogue's eyes brighten. Instantly, he knew what he had to do. Quickly, he rose out of his chair and walked around the table. From behind, Rogue felt Logan's strong hands slide onto her shoulders. The smooth fabric of his new gloves tickled her skin as he gently removed her wrap. For a moment, Rogue flooded with anxiety at the thought of her bare skin, but those thoughts soon fled when Logan extended his hand and said, "So what do ya say? Come on, I'll take care of you."

For hours, Logan and Rogue danced. After a while, Rogue slipped her heels off and clutched them in one hand as she danced. She felt free and unfettered by the weight of her mutation. Logan cleared a space on the dance floor and stood guard, making sure that no one, especially young males, came too close. Feeling more secure than she had in a long time, Rogue found
herself writhing on the dance floor during a particularly rhythmic song.

Halfway through, her attention was drawn to Logan by a low growl that emanated from his chest. Looking around her, she saw several of her male classmates look away quickly. The growling continued for a few seconds longer, but Logan didn't make her stop dancing nor did he show any disapproval with her whatsoever. Instead, Logan watched her intensely. Every bouncing movement of her young body gathered his undivided attention.

In her actions, Logan saw the birth of a new woman. More confident and at peace than before, this new woman remained the same old Rogue. The Rogue he loved. The Rogue only he got to call "Marie." The Rogue that danced before him like the whole world had faded away and all that was left in the void was he and she, alone. As the music faded away and Rogue's dance came to an end, the low growl became softer until it sounded more like a purr and then ceased altogether.

A series of moans called out from the dance floor when the DJ announced the last song. An old standard, the song rang out, slow and sweet. Time-weathered, the song was not unlike Wolverine himself -strong and true and surviving the passage of time.

Placing her shoes on the ground, Rogue walked up to Logan and placed her left hand on his right shoulder. Reaching out, Logan drew up her small right hand, holding it firmly, but gently, in his left hand. Wrapping his right arm around her waist, Logan pulled Rogue up against him, feeling her whole body press against him. Her head tilting back, Rogue looked up into Logan's eyes as the
singer began to tell his tale:


"I thought that dreams belonged to other men,
'Cause each time I got close, they'd fall apart again."

Sighing deeply, Logan allowed the words to fill him with the frustrated memories of sixteen years. The living day-to-day and the constant battle to stay alive was gone, but not forgotten. He knew that in time he would return to the questions of his past. Someday, he would search for answers again, but the hunt for a home would end forever. Rogue would be the only sanctuary he would ever need again. In her arms, he found the acceptance he had once claimed he didn't need.

".I faced the nights alone,
Oh, how could I have known?
That all my life I only needed you."

Closing her eyes, Rogue laid her cheek on Logan's shoulder and breathed in the scent that was only Logan. She remembered thousands of miles of open highway. All the small towns, into which she stumbled, filled with small, angry people who leered at her and pushed her around. No one like her. No one who could understand what she was going through. Until, she found him. She remembered how lost and resigned he looked in that cage. So lonely, even after they found their way to the mansion, but not anymore. No, now they had each other. They had almost lost each other so many times, but somehow, they had found their way back to each other and left their isolation behind.


"It seems like perfect love's so hard to find,
I'd almost given up, you must have read my mind."

Pulling Rogue closer to him, Logan pressed his cheek against the bun her hair formed. He reveled in the softness of her hair and the sweetness of her scent. It would be an unsolved mystery for as long as he lived as to why she was standing in his arms with all she knew and all she had seen. She knew him better than anyone else. He was in her mind, wasn't that what she said. She knew the content of his many nightmares and the scarcity of his dreams. She knew the story behind each quirk and habit that he held. She probably knew him better than he knew himself and still she stayed. Still, she held him tightly and neither of them would want it any other way.


".And all these dreams I saved for a rainy day,
They're finally coming true,
I'll share them all with you,
Cause now we hold the future in our hands."

Rogue ran her hands up and down Logan's back and nuzzled her cheek against his jacket. Was it just three years ago that she thought all her dreams were gone forever? The hopes other took for granted seemed impossible for her to attain. She'd resigned herself to the fact that she would never be held without fear intruding upon the moment. She had told herself to forget about having someone love her. She reminded herself that dreams were meant for those who could touch, but Logan changed all that. In his gruff way, Logan pushed his way through the walls she had erected. He made her comfortable in her own skin and opened her up to a world of possibility. As she traced lonely circles down his back, Rogue stood in awe of the fact that this simple act was
more than she thought would ever be hers.


".Almost paradise, (we're knocking on heaven's door)
Almost paradise, (how could we ask for more)
I swear that I can see forever in your eyes, (paradise)."

Pulling back, Rogue looked into Logan's eyes and saw devotion and love reflected in their dark depths. Leaning forward, Rogue placed her cheek a breath away from his and trembled when the hair from his sideburns tickled her skin. Whispering softly, Rogue said, "Logan, I want to leave,"

Rogue felt Logan's muscles tense as she continued, "Please, Logan, take me to your room. I don't want to wait anymore."

Pulling back, Logan wrestled with his instincts as he asked, "Are you sure?"

Rogue nodded as she gripped Logan's hand and led him off the dance floor. Stopping to pick up her wrap, Rogue paused for a second to look back at the room one last time before taking Logan's arm and leaving the prom behind.

Quietly, Logan opened the door to his bedroom and welcomed Rogue inside. Rogue entered and came to stand in front of the bed. Never before had the object filled her with such anxiety. Logan sensed her fear and walked up behind her, placed his gloved hands on her arms and kissed her covered shoulders. Bending close to her left ear, Logan whispered, "Nothing has to happen if you don't want it to."

Rogue leaned back against his strong chest, arched her neck to the right and cooed, "But I do want it to happen, Logan."

Logan adjusted Rogue's wrap and pressed his lips against her neck. He felt the muscles in her throat twitch as she continued, "I'm just a little scared. I think it's just a fear of the unknown. That's all, Logan, I swear."

Logan persisted in teasing Rogue's flesh as he said, "I know. It's going to be okay, Marie."

Rogue turned around and looked in his eyes and said, "I love you, Logan."

Logan spread her wrap across her mouth and stepped into a slow kiss. Pulling away, Logan said against her lips, "I love you, too, Marie."

Licking his lips, Logan rolled the edges of Rogue's wrap in his fingers. In one smooth movement, Logan lowered the scrap of material, but kept it draped over his arm. Reaching behind her head, Logan pulled the long comb out of her bun and shook her hair free. Wrapping his arms around her, Logan slowly slid the zipper of her dress down her back. Pressing his hands against her ribcage,
Logan smoothed the dress down Rogue's body until it pooled at her feet.

Bending down, Logan picked Rogue up and cradled her in his arms. Rogue ran her hands around Logan's neck and interlaced her fingers, holding on tight as Logan carried her to the bed. Rogue gazed at Logan's face as he lowered her onto the mattress. His expression was so serious as he removed his jacket and climbed into bed with her. His eyes darkened as he ran his eyes over her practically nonexistent underwear. Her bra was strapless and consisted of a paper-thin, black mesh fabric. The panties were obviously the other half of the set and neither piece left much to the imagination.

Examining the articles of clothing, Logan realized that she must have planned on this earlier this evening, had dressed especially for this moment. Smiling, Logan relaxed more from the knowledge that this was not just a spur of the moment decision and, therefore, less likely to be regretted later.

Rogue responded to Logan's intense scrutiny by moving her hands to cover the intimate parts of her body. Reaching down, Logan grabbed her hands and pushed them back until they were positioned beside her head, on the pillow and said, "Don't. Don't ever hide yourself from me."

Kneeling down on the bed, Logan lowered himself onto Rogue. Her legs parted and she gasped when she felt the material from his slacks press against her thighs. Slowly, Logan let go of Rogue's hands and slid his fingers down her arms, bringing them to rest on the swell of her breasts. Cupping the soft mounds of flesh, Logan ran his thumbs across the underside of Rogue's breasts, stimulating the delicate nerve endings to be found there. Pressing his mouth to the sheer fabric, Logan swirled his tongue over Rogue's left nipple. Suckling on the taut peak, Logan lifted Rogue off the bed and ran his hands across her back until he found the clasp on her bra. Logan switched his attention to Rogue's right nipple as he undid the snap and started to pull the bra away.

Raising up, Logan uncovered Rogue's breasts and gasped. Her alabaster skin shined pearly white with the slightest tinge of roses. Her nipples were small, brown and puckered. Resting back on his heels, Logan looked at Rogue lying beneath him. Her arms were still positioned by her head. Her hair was tossed about and her cheeks were flushed. Running his hands up and down Rogue's bent knees, Logan's eyes traveled down Rogue's soft flesh until it centered on the last scrap of cloth covering her young body. Running his hands up Rogue's thighs, Logan grabbed hold of her panties and drew them down her legs until he was able to roll them up and toss them across the room.

Rogue's eyes followed the wad of cloth as it sailed through the air. Slowly, she drew her eyes back to Logan who was once again reveling in the sight of her body. Lowering himself, Logan pulled over Rogue's wrap and covered Rogue's mouth, chin and neck. He kissed her a million times it seemed and never twice in one place. The whole time, Logan spoke of her beauty, her
grace and, most importantly, of his love for her.

Somewhere in the middle of it all, Rogue noticed the bulge in Logan's pants. It pressed against her and she spread her thighs wider in response. Logan's touch was wonderful, but frustrating as well. It seemed that he applied just enough pressure to excite, but not satisfy her. Teasing her was his goal and she had lost any will to fight against it long ago. She babbled on about love, need and want, but it never made him change his actions.

Looking into Rogue's eyes, Logan saw the brown pools darken and watched her lips part and knew she was ready. Logan placed the wrap over Rogue's mid-section and kissed his way down Rogue's stomach. Pausing, Logan slipped his tongue into Rogue's belly button and tickled the nerve endings buried there. Sliding further down the bed, Logan placed his chest between her open thighs and gently parted the folds of her flesh. Expertly, he found the kernel of nerves and applied pressure to it.

Instantly, Rogue writhed under him, but her arms remained by her head. Logan teased her flesh, bringing her to the edge time and time again, but not letting her attain the release for which she pleaded. Pulling away, Logan stepped back off the bed and proceeded to undress. Rogue was riveted to Logan as he quickly ripped the tie from his neck and tore off his shirt.

Bare-chested and flushed, Logan leaned down and kissed Rogue's covered, willing mouth. Placing a hand between Rogue's thighs, Logan continued to tease Rogue with two fingers in a circular motion. His movements were sharp and slightly rushed as he replaced his fingers with him thumb and slid his fingers down her satin-smooth skin.

Gently, Logan traced the entrance to her opening before poking the tip of his finger into it. Rogue writhed above him and opened to his touch. Slowly, Logan slid his finger into her and loosened her more. Logan smiled as Rogue lowered her arms and held him in place while she strained against his hand.

Logan looked at Rogue's tense face and whispered in her ear, "Let go. Let go for me."

As if on command, Rogue threw her head back as she felt her body burn up. She shook uncontrollably as she cooled. When the haze cleared, the first thing that Rogue realized was that Logan was gone.

For a second, she panicked, but her fears were calmed when she felt the exquisite sensation of French silk being spread over her body. Once again, the cool, yet warm, feeling rushed over her skin. Looking up, Rogue wondered how long she had been in that haze when she noticed that Logan was already undressed and was wearing the harness. Her eyes glanced at his muscular body and his rigid manhood as he approached her.

Kneeling on the sheet, Logan directed Rogue to bend her knees. After adjusting the sheet to position the slit, Logan lowered himself onto Rogue. Her glove covered arms and hands wrapped around his shoulders as he gripped her shoulders. Logan bucked against Rogue and she could feel his shaft press against her virgin opening. For a second, Rogue tensed.

Forcing his covered arms under her shoulders, Logan grabbed hold of the back of Rogue's head and forced her to look at him as he said, "Are you sure, Marie? I'd probably have to go kill something, but I can stop now, if you want me to."

Rogue shook her head and replied, "Make love to me, Logan. I want you to."

Logan smoothed her hair away from her forehead and found the permission he searched for in her eyes. Holding her tight, Logan slowly entered Rogue and broke through her maidenhead. Rogue tensed at the intense pain and pounded her fists against Logan's back as he filled her for the first time. A tear ran down her cheek and Logan caught it with his thumb as he told her how much he loved her.

For a minute, Logan held still until the pain receded from Rogue's body. His mind reeled from the sensations and found he couldn't stop announcing his love for this beautiful woman. The man in him wanted to worship her like a Goddess. His primal side wanted to scream out with the knowledge that she was his and his alone. He wrapped his arms around her tighter and rejoiced in the feel of her in his arms. All the while, Rogue held onto Logan with a white-knuckle grip and exhaled as the pain left her body only to be replaced with a deep ache.

Instinctively, Rogue lifted her hips and pressed herself against Logan. Feeling Rogue rock beneath him, Logan thrust between her thighs in a slow, steady rhythm. Straining to make the moment last, Logan tried to think of hockey and Mounties and fighting cages, anything so that he could make this moment stretch out a little further.

Shifting against Rogue's pelvis, Logan rubbed against Rogue with each thrust and soon he felt her tense in his arms. She let out a scream as her muscles tightened and throbbed around Logan's shaft. Unable to hold back any longer, Logan thrust hard between her welcoming thighs until his muscles trembled and he arched his back, moaning loudly. Fighting every nerve in his body, Logan
managed to keep his claws sheathed as wave upon wave of pleasure wracked his body.

Before Rogue knew what was happening, Logan tightened his grip on her and rolled. Suddenly, Rogue found herself on top of Logan. In the move, Logan had slipped out of her, but had remained hard. 'I guess a healing factor really does come in handy sometimes,' she mused.

Reaching up, Logan cupped Rogue's breasts and smiled. Rogue smiled back and placed her hands over Logan's. She knelt there, straddling him, holding his hands and wondering what exactly to do next. Logan noticed her hesitation and saw that her innocence had remained intact. Pleased, Logan started the next lesson knowing that he would be the only teacher she would ever have. Logan pulled the top of the sheet up over his chest and kicked the bottom of the sheet down to cover his legs.

Placing his hands on Rogue's hips, he prompted Rogue to raise up. Positioning himself under her, Logan pressed down on Rogue's hip. Slowly, Rogue lowered herself, whimpering from the deeper penetration this position allowed. As Logan's shaft disappeared within her, Rogue heard Logan moan, "O, Marie."

Instinct took over Rogue's body and she started rocking back and forth. Rogue looked up at the ceiling as she bounced on Logan and squeezed her eyes shut when he placed his thumb against her center and started to rub her flesh with slow circles. Rogue's body strained and her skin grew slick with sweat as she pushed against Logan's teasing thumb on each down stroke. Logan felt Rogue's opening clench around him and knew it wouldn't be long now.

Reaching up, Logan grabbed the back of her neck and bent her over until he could see into Rogue's eyes. Bent over, Rogue could more easily feel his shaft throbbing within her and the pressure on the hard kernel between her legs increased. Rogue's eyes bulged and she could feel herself expanding like a balloon about to pop. She placed a hand on his stomach to keep her balance as she cried out in pleasure. As she moaned, Logan let go of Rogue's neck and grabbed onto her hips and started pumping into her quaking body.

A couple minutes later, Logan cried out as his body shook with pleasure. For a few seconds, "Marie" was the only word Logan could say as Rogue placed her cheek on his covered chest. Logan wrapped his arms around her shoulders and rested his covered arms and hands on her back. Rolling to the side, Logan pulled out of Rogue and got out of bed.

Almost to dreamland, Rogue heard a click and knew the harness was being taken off. Looking over, she watched Logan take it off and toss it aside. Lying down again, Logan wrapped Rogue in the sheet and pressed himself against her back. Reaching out, from under the sheet, Rogue clutched Logan's hand in hers and urged, "Promise me, Logan that you'll never run away without me."

Squeezing her hand, Logan answered, "Of course, you can't get rid of me that easily."

Rogue smiled and drifted off to sleep. Logan felt her body relax and waited until she was asleep to pull his hand away. Wrapping an arm around her, Logan drifted off to sleep knowing that, at last, he had found the only home he would ever need.

 

End part 8