HEAVEN SENT PART 2

by Morgana

St. Louis Cathedral

"Make it short," Logan instructed as he shooed Remy and Warren into the cathedral. His instincts warned him that the assassins knew that they were on the move, but he hoped holy ground didn't classify as battleground.

Remy nodded his head and pushed his hand onto the wound. It pounded, the intensity of the ache growing worse. He was overdoing it, but he had to talk to père Etienne one last time.

Warren bit his lower lip, watching Remy closely. The young Cajun stumbled over his feet and instinctively, Warren reached out to steady him. Remy's sluggish reaction worried him. "Are you okay? You should be resting, not running around like this." But yes, he knew how important this was to Remy.

Remy didn't hesitate and held onto Warren, curling an arm around his love's waist. Defensively, he wanted to tell both men that he had to do this, but just in time he read understanding in their eyes. Warren trembled nervously. Warren was uneasy, being this close to him. Why? He could figure that one later, now he had to find père Etienne. One of the younger priests approached, smiling friendly. It struck Remy that the priest's expression was warm, then he remembered that he was wearing sunglasses and that the other man couldn't see his eyes. A melancholy smile floated over Remy's face.

"Can I help you?" the young priest inquired politely.

Quickly, Remy glanced at Logan, who guarded his back. Then Remy focused on the priest again. "Can I talk to père Etienne?" He hoped nothing bad had happened to the old priest, remembering his saviour's absence when he'd brought Warren here. Don' punish him for helpin' me, mon Dieu, he prayed fervently.

Warren noticed the shocked expression on the young priest's face. Shit! Don't let him be dead! Warren didn't want Remy to hurt even more!

'Père Etienne? Did you really say père Etienne?" the young priest made sure.

"Oui, de old man… who locks de doors at night," Remy explained, suddenly feeling weak in his knees. "He has some private rooms near de crypt?" His hold on Warren tightened. Please, mon Dieu! Remy couldn't possibly go on living knowing he'd caused the old man's death!

The young priest nervously beckoned them to sit down on the benches. "Did you see Etienne?"

Warren grew suspicious. "Can we talk to him?" Damn, they did't have time for this!

"Did you?" the priest repeated, addressing Remy.

"Oui," Remy stuttered confused. "He helped me…"

"Mon Dieu," the priest whispered and crossed himself.

"What?" Remy whispered in dread. "What's wrong?"

Warren helped Remy to sit down and remained at his side. Acting on impulse he rested a calming hand on Remy's shoulder.

"Is that your père Etienne?" the young priest asked and gestured at a painting near the doorway. There was a number of paintings, depicting the faithful men that had served God, serving in this cathedral.

Hesitantly, Remy raised his eyes to study the paintings and sucked in his breath. In the center of the collection of paintings was père Etienne's face, immortalized in paint. "Oui."

Warren's eyes followed Remy's and saw a kind face with compassionate eyes.

"Monsieur," the priest started. "Père Etienne died 100 years ago."

Warren sensed Remy's shock and gently squeezed his love's shoulder. "Maybe it was a hallucination?" he suggested at a loss.

"NON! I saw him… talked to him!" Remy protested in bewilderment.

"He lived here, you're right about that," the young priest explained, "But in 1899 he died in his bed. One of the other priests found him, an unearthly smile on his face."

Remy trembled violently. "I ain' goin' mad!" he sobbed upset. "He held me," he whispered and looked up into Warren's eyes. "He held me durin' de nightmares."

An older priest who had been listening closely joined them. "Are you talking about père Etienne, mon fils?"

"Oui," Remy sighed. "Tell me he's still 'live!" This had to be a joke, a cruel joke and père Etienne would appear any moment now, chiding him for believing this crap!

The elderly priest gave Remy a compassionate look. "You're not the first to meet his ghost."

"Ghost?" Warren repeated in disbelief. During his time as an X-Man he'd encountered many inexplicable things, but this topped everything. "A ghost?"

"Oui," the elderly priest smiled warmly. "He only appears to those pure of heart who need guidance and help."

"Pure of heart?" Remy choked out. He helped me! Le diable blanc! I ain' pure of heart! His mind tried hard to deal with this unexpected explanation.

"You say he appears regularly?" Warren cut in, worried about the tremors that rocked Remy's body.

"Oui," the elderly man replied. "About a year ago he helped a small girl who'd been accidentally locked up inside the cathedral. She was only 4. When we found her, she told us that an angel had watched over her. When we asked her to describe this angel, she pointed at the painting."

Remy got to his feet, trembling and shaking his head. Mebbe I better go mad… dis is absurd… The thought of a ghost helping him, shocked him. "You can' seriously believe dis!" Remy raved upset. "I want out of here!" he yelped, looking pleadingly at Warren.

"Don't be afraid," the elderly priest soothed Remy, "Angels are meant to help us and most of the time we just don't see them. But sometimes, they show themselves to us. You're truly blessed, mon fils!"

"Blessed!" Remy snarled, wondering why he was this upset. Roughly, he pulled Warren along.

"Hey, slow down, Rem!" Warren stated and pulled him close. "As an X-Man you should know there are beings out there that defy logic. Why does this freak you out? Maybe you do have a very alert guardian angel!"

Staring into Warren's eyes, Remy shivered. "De Devil's boy doesn' get a guardian ange!"

"What about me then?" Warren smiled warmly, signaling Logan that they were leaving. "Or don't you want me as your guardian angel? What do I need to do to get that job?"

Suddenly, Remy laughed softly. "Can' deny you're an ange." Slowly, he started to head for the doorway, looking at the grande angel statue near the altar. "What?" Blinking his eyes he forgot to breathe. "Warren, look!"

Alarmed, Warren turned around, ready to defend his love against a possible attacker. "What is it?"

"Next to the statue," Remy whispered respectfully, trying hard not to faint.

Warren glanced at the angel statue and only now realized an old man stood next to it. It was the man from the painting. "Is it père Etienne?" he asked Remy shakily.

"Oui." The whisper flowed through the cathedral. Remy raised his arm to wave at the old man. He really wanted to run over to père Etienne, but something held him back.

Père Etienne waved back and smiled warmly, truly pleased that Remy had cared enough for him to return here. Maybe he should give this young man the only gift he had to offer.

"Warren…?" Shocked, Remy watched as père Etienne's form changed. "Can' believe…" His fingernails clawed into Warren's arm.

Warren held his breath as well. The old priest's black clothes faded and revealed a white/yellow robe made of precious fabric. Brown wings, sparkling with gold, sprung from the figure's shoulders and suddenly the face transformed as well. A brown haired angel with dark eyes smiled at them.

"Mon Dieu," Remy whispered, suddenly afraid the angel might think it sacrilegious. "Warren? Am I goin' mad?" he whispered dazed. The figure radiated so much light and warmth that he swayed on his feet. Luckily, Warren had a tight hold on him.

"Then we're going mad together," Warren whispered and swallowed hard. Damn, this was the real thing! He felt it. This wasn't a mutant. This was a real angel.

The angel smiled, extended his hand in greeting and a soft voice drifted into their minds while they clung to each other.

"You no longer need me, Remiel."

Remy whimpered as the form grew less in intensity, finally fading away. "Did I see dat? Did you hear dat?" Pleadingly, he looked at Warren. "Don' tell me I lost my mind!"

Still a little shaken himself, Warren managed a smile. "Geeze, Remy… looks like you do have your personal guardian angel." He really needed to think about this revelation. Maybe God exists after all…

Logan, unaware of what had transpired, walked up to them. "Time to go, kids."

Remy's voice trembled. "Oui, just a moment, mon ami." Closing his eyes, he whispered a thank you to the heavens.

///

Note

You can find a picture of the angel I described at http://www.angelartbyeve.com/gallery2000.html Scroll down to number 94, named Raphael. <eg>

///

"Yer gonna be 'kay." Logan's voice sounded soothing and certain. "Just take the time to heal, kid." He took Remy's left hand and walked him to the plane. "Don't forget to call yer old man!"

Remy was quiet, still taken aback by his experience in the cathedral. As he looked at Warren, he noticed a similar astonishment in his blue eyes. For some reason, seeing this angel had affected Warren too. "I will," Remy promised, knowing from personal experience that poppa wouldn't have the time to answer his calls. But it's de t'ought dat counts!

"Take care, bub," Logan said roughly, feeling awkward. Eventually, he pulled Remy into a brief embrace, squeezed his still too frail frame and then released him. "And Wings… ya better make sure the kid's takin' of himself!" Seeing Warren's eyes Logan felt reassured. Warren knew what he was getting himself into and was determined to go all the way.

"Merci, Logan," Remy whispered affectionately, squeezing back and then allowed Warren to take his hand. Merde, he was wobbly on his feet! His side pounded and his fever was getting worse. He'd been walking around too much and needed rest!

Warren led him up the stairs and turned around one last time. Like Remy, he waved at Logan and then helped the Cajun to settle down in one of the comfortable chairs. Yeah, there were definite advantages to having a complete plane to yourself!

Remy sighed now that he was finally off his feet. Looking through the window he watched quietly as Logan marched back to the limousine. He really didn't want to leave New Orleans! Mais I don' have a choice!

Warren sat down next to Remy and fastened their seat belts. The plane was ready for take off and it'd be a long flight to Ireland. Once they were airborne he'd level the chair so it made a comfortable bed for Remy. At least that way Remy could get some rest. The young Cajun looked awfully pale and sweat poured from his pores.

They braced themselves for take off and once they were in the air, Warren couldn't help voicing his concern. "You don't look that well, Remy." His new love had been incredibly quiet since they'd left the cathedral. "Let me," he said and adjusted the chair so Remy could lie down comfortably.

Surprised, Remy locked eyes with Warren. The concern that lay in those blue eyes surprised him. Oui, Warren had come back for him, but… this was unexpected. Did Warren really care that much about him?

"Are you thinking about père Etienne? Your angel?" Warren pulled a blanket from underneath his chair, covering Remy with it. "You feel cold, Remy." Hesitantly, but urged on by concern, he placed his right hand on Remy's brow. "You've got a fever, Rem." Now, where is that bag filled with medical supplies? Remy definitely needed antibiotics.

Remy smiled warmly, treasuring his concern. "I'm bien," he whispered. "Just need some sleep." Remy cuddled up underneath the blanket, bathing in Warren's obvious worry.

"Here, you need to take this regularly according to your father." Warren handed Remy two pills and then fetched a glass of water. "It's going to be a long flight. You best sleep through it."

Remy briefly considered not taking the meds, but he didn't want Warren to get mad at him. So obediently, he swallowed the antibiotics. Warren was obviously prepared to make this work, so he'd better try hard as well and not fuck up.

"Are you okay?" Warren took the glass and put it down. "Anything else you need, Remy?"

"Do you t'ink we really saw an ange?" Remy whispered, shifting a little to get more comfortable. "Do you?" His eyes slowly dropped shut, but he refused to give in yet. This was the first time they were alone, really alone since Warren came back.

"Yes, I think we did," Warren said resolved. "Do you also wonder why he allowed us to see him like that?" Warren leaned back in his chair and studied Remy's pale face. Once they were in Ireland he'd see to it that Remy got enough rest.

"I don' know…" Remy admitted shaken. "I'm still tryin' to figure out why he took care of me." Shivers ran down his spine. "I never suspected…"

"When we were in the cathedral you said something…" Warren looked him in the eyes, sleepy eyes. "The devil's boy doesn't get a guardian angel…" He clearly noticed Remy's violent flinch. "Is that how you see yourself? As some sort of demon?" Warren could hardly believe his own conclusion.

"Oui," Remy admitted within a heartbeat, determined not to lie to Warren. Mon Dieu, he also wanted this relationship to work! "De eyes…"

"Red on black…" Warren smiled saddened, suddenly realizing something about his love. "Who called you that? Devil's boy?"

Remy drew in a deep breath. He was tempted to use his fatigue as an excuse so he didn't have to discuss this now, but… Poppa had warned him not to shut Warren out when the pain started. "De oder boys and… he did."

"The Antiquary?" Warren's heart contracted violently. The damn bastard! Warren fought hard to control his rage, knowing seeing him enraged wouldn't soothe Remy.

"Oui, made oder boys avoid me 'cause of my eyes." Remy finally gave in and closed his eyes. "Sorry, cher, mais I'm tired."

"Does your side hurt?" Warren inquired softly, pleased that Remy sat safely in the chair next to him. No assassins, no Antiquary would hurt him any longer. He'd keep all the bad things away.

"A peau," Remy mumbled, already dozing off. "T'ink we'll ever see dat ange 'gain?"

"I don't know, Remy." Warren was extremely tempted to brush back some stray locks but still felt inhibited. He couldn't touch Remy in that way yet. His mind was still trying to deal with being attracted to a man! "But at least now you know that there's someone watching over you. And you certainly deserve a guardian angel." Leaning in closer, he felt helpless and couldn't stop himself from caressing Remy's face with his eyes. "And you're not a demon, Rem… you're not."

"Mer…ci," Remy mumbled, his mind already asleep.

Satisfied, Warren crossed his arms in front of his chest. Remy wasn't the only one who was wondering about this angel. But Warren's reason to doubt that he'd really seen that angel was different. After fighting so many mutants and beings whose existence defied logic, he'd given up on believing in God. He shivered, remembering one of the worst enemies they'd ever fought and strangely enough that hadn't been Apocalypse, although that name still made him tremble. It was the Beyonder, who had made him doubt God's existence. Kurt had also begun to doubt his faith in God because of this being. And now, an ange hadl revealed itself to them, calling Remy, Remiel. That was another thing that puzzled Warren. Remiel… why Remiel?

I feel like a fraud, having these wings. I can never be the real thing. I'm just a man with wings. As he looked at Remy, Warren remembered the faith in those red on black eyes. Remy had always called him ange. Jean-Luc is right. I don't deserve these wings. Warren adjusted his own chair as well and lay down on his side so he could closely observe Remy's face. He desperately hoped that the nightmares would stay away this once.

///

After a while, Warren got bored. He needed to do something, as his body was still full of energy. In the end, he picked up one of the books Jean-Luc had advised him to read. "The battered child," Warren whispered in a strangled tone. Well, he'd better find out what to expect and how to react to it!

///

"Mister Worthington? We're about to touch down."

Reluctantly, Warren opened his eyes. "Thanks, Rob." The co-pilot returned to the cockpit and Warren's eyes settled on Remy. His heart missed a beat. At one time during the flight he'd put away the book and had fallen asleep as well. And now Remy's head is on my shoulder and one of his hands in my lap! Embarrassed, Warren forced himself to clasp his fingers around Remy's and returned the hand to its rightful owner. He didn't want to admit it, but he was rock hard and his erection pressed against the confines of his jeans. Damn! Can't believe I'm reacting like this!

However, Warren couldn't pull away from Remy, knowing it'd cause a rude awakening. So he allowed Remy to continue to rest his head on his right shoulder. The Cajun was so close… and his body reacted to that closeness. Whatever doubts he'd had about wanting Remy, he could dismiss them now. A melancholy smile passed over Warren's face. "It's a good thing that Bobby isn't here!" Warren groaned, remembering Drake's smug smile only too well!

"Cher?" Remy slowly opened his eyes and tried to focus on Warren. "Side hurts."

"Thanks for telling me and not trying to hide it!" Warren said thankfully. "We're going to change the bandages once we're at the cottage, Remy."

"Where are we goin'?" Remy tried to remember if Warren had told him. "Oui, Ireland, mais where?" The blanket slipped onto his waist and he smiled brilliantly when Warren pulled it up to his shoulders again. Oui, the man did care!

"You've never been to Ireland?" Warren asked, remembering something that Remy had told him when Warren had apologized.

"Never…" Remy cocked his head, rested it against the headrest and simply watched his love's eyes, sighing in bliss to have the man this close.

"When I was very little, my mum was still alive," Warren started softly. These were fond memories. "Every autumn she'd drive my old man mad until he took us there. It’s a small cottage in county Wicklow. Nothing major," he smiled. "A very simple cottage. Don't expect a castle or manor."

"Can' impress me wid your money," Remy said jokingly, but wondered about the sudden changed expression on Warren's face. "Cher?" The word rolled gently from his lips, like he'd called Warren cher for years. It felt right. It felt comfortable.

"No, I guess I can't!" Warren smiled in return. "At least I can be sure that you're not after my money!"

His reaction surprised Remy, but he decided not to address that matter. "You loved bein' dere?" Remy asked, returning to their original subject.

"We spent some great weeks there, Rem. Mum was so different from my father. We played on the beach, while dad studied the stock market."

"What happened?" Remy asked hesitantly. "Did she die?"

"Yes, when I was six. I never visited Ireland after she died. Dad didn't want to go back to Redcross during the autumn and after he died, I never had the courage to go up there on my own."

"And now you are takin' me dere?" Remy whispered honored. It felt like Warren allowed him into his very private sanctuary.

"Yeah, I think the place is perfect for the two of us. Are you okay with this?"

Remy grinned warmly. "Cher, we're 'bout to touch down and you ask now?" His grin transformed into a bright smile. "Mais oui. If you want me dere dat badly…"

"Let me help," Warren leaned in closer to fasten their seatbelts again. Warren's breathing grew shallow as Remy's fingers suddenly brushed his face. "Uhm, Rem?" It was a little unsettling, sensing those gentle fingertips trailing down his throat.

"You're uncomfortable wid me touchin' you," Remy stated, feeling alarmingly certain. "Is it 'cause of what de Antiquary...?"

Warren quickly looked up, only focusing on Remy. "It's not you, Remy… It's about me… I never knew I liked guys and…"

Remy wasn't sure he believed that explanation. Maybe Warren was just trying not to embarrass him because he did feel uncomfortable regarding his past.

"Don't," Warren whispered as the plane made contact with Irish soil. "I want to touch you, but… I'm nervous. You've got to be patient with me, Remy."

"Are you sure dat's de only reason?" Remy wondered aloud. It wouldn’t be the first time that people shied back because of his past.

"I'm sure, crazy Cajun!" Warren chided him as the plane lost speed. "We need to drive up to the cottage. It's a one hour drive. Think you can make it? We'll have a look at your side the moment we get there."

"Don' worry 'bout me," Remy mumbled softly. "I can make it." Well, maybe Warren was telling the truth. It might be scary to suddenly realize that you were bi and not straight! "You'll have to do de drivin'," he said teasingly. Truthfully, his aching side was getting worse.

"C'mon, let's get going. We deserve some rest." Warren hauled Remy gently to his feet and froze as Remy's body pressed into his. The Cajun felt surprisingly good in his arms! Damn!

Remy gave Warren a little grin, hoping this relationship would work out. The next days would be a true test of commitment and love.

///

"It's a grande old house," Remy whispered, taking in the cottage. "Kinda secluded, non?"

"We liked that," Warren explained as he drove up to the house. "Mum wanted to get away from all daily routine. The woods stretch on and I haven't tried to climb those mountains since I was little! The nearest shop, village or pub is one mile away… For me, it's safe to walk around without image inducer. It's private property…"

Suddenly, and not sure why, Remy felt nervous. "It's personal…"

"I want you here with me," Warren repeated and parked the car. "We got lucky. It's not raining!" he said jokingly. "It can rain for weeks over here!"

Remy opened the car door and pushed himself to his feet. A chilly wind blew and the sky was grey. The mountains stood tall and impressing, presenting a natural barrier from the outside world.

"Why don't we get you to one of the bedrooms first?" Warren suggested as he walked up to the Cajun. "You look like hell, Remy!"

Remy chuckled softly, pressing a hand against his wound as his body shook. "You ain' into compliments, cher?"

"Later," Warren returned the smile, wrapped one arm around Remy's waist to steady him and fished the key out of his pocket. "I better check on the heating first… It can get cold during these months."

Curiously, Remy took in the living room. It was neatly furnished, nothing fancy. "Dat couch looks bien, cher… Put me down dere?" Looking at the stairs he wondered if he could make it upstairs without fainting. This trip had taken a large toll on him.

"Okay," Warren gave in, alarmed by Remy's tired eyes. He walked Remy to the couch and helped him lie down. "I'll be back in a sec. I need to check on the room heater and then we'll have a look at your side." Quickly, Warren slipped out of his coat and draped it over Remy's form. "Just stay put, Remy!"

His eyes clung to Warren until his love had left the room, then Remy searched his surroundings. Nothing fancy as Warren had said, but this would do perfectly! As he listened to the sounds Warren made, he shivered underneath the coat. His side felt sticky and he hoped it was only sweat and not blood. Hopefully, the wound wouldn't re-open.

"It'll get warmer in a moment," Warren assured Remy and quickly kneeled on the floor next to the couch. "Let's see… Do you want to take a shower before I change the bandages?" Remy was covered in sweat!

"Are you comfortable wid helpin' me shower den, cher?" Remy asked, trying hard to sound mischievously, but in reality he felt damn insecure, knowing Warren wasn't comfortable touching him.

"You're not asking me to… " Warren paused and had the grace to blush. "To step in there with you?"

Remy decided to let Warren off the hook. "Just need help dryin' my skin… I can wash my hair later…" Remy offered. Oui, he craved a shower to wash away the sweat. "I can try on my own?"

"No," Warren decided quickly. "I don't want you taking a fall in there. So I take it you want that shower first?"

"Oui…"

"I'm going upstairs and will fill up the bath tub for you, Remy. Stay here and rest?" His eyes pleaded for understanding.

"I'll be good and wait…" Remy teased him. It amused him to see Warren all flushed and nervous. Something told him this wasn't typical behavior for Warren.

Warren hurried upstairs and went into the bathroom. Quickly, he established a nice temperature and let the bathtub fill. "What the hell am I doing?" he muttered as he stared at his reflection in the mirror. How he hated that damned blue skin! How could Remy stand looking at it all the time? "I can't look at myself…" Images of Remy standing naked in front of him made him groan. But he was getting aroused at the same time. He'd seen Remy partly naked. Had seen the scars on his back and chest… "He needs your help because he's wounded for crying out loud!" he chided himself!

"Warren? Ange?"

"Coming!" Warren replied and fought down his arousal. Damn! This can't be happening right now! After he'd calmed down, he rushed down the stairs. "Come on, Cajun. Let's get you cleaned up."

Remy struggled to his feet, allowing Warren to help him. "Dat's many stairs," he whispered fatigued.

"I can carry you," Warren replied, not sure if he just tried to be funny or being serious.

"I can walk…" Remy mumbled, but leaned heavily on his love. "Is de bedroom upstairs too?"

"Yes and we need to talk about sleeping arrangements."

Remy's eyes widened a little. Didn't Warren want to sleep in the same bed with him? Did Warren want separate bedrooms? And Remy had been looking forward to falling asleep in Warren's arms! But he couldn't push his love. "Whatever you decide is fine wid me…"

Never expecting that answer Warren peeked at Remy. Damn his insecurity! "Do you need… you know, need help to undress?" Please let him say no! he thought, almost panicking.

"Just de sweater…" Remy saw the discomfort and his throat tightened. Warren was keeping him at a distance.

Warren nodded his head and opened the door to the bathroom. Steam attacked them.

"Warm in here, non?" Remy whispered, a little nervous as well.

"Lean against me," Warren instructed in a heavy tone and stripped off Remy's coat. Then his hands moved underneath the sweater and pulled the garment over Remy's head. It dropped onto the floor and Warren tried hard not to stare at the Cajun, remembering his earlier arousal.

"Merci, cher… I t'ink I can manage de rest." No longer amused, but saddened, Remy watched Warren flee the room. "Am I dat… ugly?" he whispered nervously and managed to catch part of his reflection in the mirror. He flinched at the sight of the web of scars. "Mebbe I am…"

///

Warren busied himself by carrying the last pieces of their luggage into the cottage. It had been a good thing that his mum had left most stuff like clothes, towels and a lot of kitchen gear behind on their last family trip. He listened to the sounds coming from the bathroom, hoping that Remy would call for help should the Cajun need him. But no disturbing sounds emanated from the bathroom. Just to make sure he knocked. "Everything fine in there, Rem?"

"Oui…" Remy whispered absentmindedly. The warm water engulfed his tired body. Mon Dieu, this felt good!

"I'm going to unpack. Call me if when you need me?" Warren's eyes traveled to the three bedrooms situated on this floor. One had a double and the other rooms only had singles. Where to put his stuff? Did he want to sleep in the same room with Remy? In the same bed or…? Damn! He said, whatever decision I made was fine with him! Remy was forced him to make the decision. "Take it slow…" Warren reminded himself and put his bags in the room with the two singles. He carried Remy's bags into the room with the double.

Remy sighed as he pulled the plug. Slowly, the water disappeared, leaving him cold and miserable. He felt sluggish and his head lolled as he tried to reach for the towels. Merde, taking a bath had been the wrong thing to do! "Warren? Ange? I need your help, cher."

"I'm on my way, Remy." Warren quickly finished unpacking and returned to the bathroom. After taking a deep breath, he opened the door.

"I can' reach de towels, cher," Remy whispered softly, seeing the embarrassment in his love's blue eyes.

"You're… naked," Warren whispered and quickly looked away. Oh, thank God Bobby wasn’t here! Drake would have had a laughing fit! He grabbed one large towel and walked over to the bathtub, trying very hard not to look at Remy's body.

So, I'm ugly after all, Remy thought saddened. I can' blame him… I have too many scars. Remy grabbed Warren's offered hand, eager to get wrapped up in that warm towel, feeling terribly chilly at once.

Warren peeked at his love's eyes, uncertain what to say. "I'll take you to your bedroom," he informed Remy and folded the towel around the young Cajun's form. Quickly, he grabbed another towel and slung it around the auburn wet hair.

"Cold… wet…" Remy murmured as tremors rocked his body.

"Damn!" escaped Warren, but he quickly recomposed himself, knowing he had to dry Remy's skin.

Remy noticed the hesitance in his love's movements and he reached the conclusion that Warren didn't like to touch him because… of the scars, of his past… Oui, maybe being attracted to a man made Warren feel uncomfortable, but Remy doubted it'd freak Angel out. Suddenly, he just wanted out of the room, away from Warren.

Warren wasn't blind and saw the self-doubt on Remy's face. "Rem, I told you before it's not you. It's me…"

The words tore into Remy's mind. "I can' believe dat. De scars…"

"I've got scars too, Remy. They're part of you… me. I don't… love you less because of them." Sheepishly, Warren stared at the floor. Had he really said that?

"Cher, je t'aime…" Remy assured him. "Mais I need to lay down."

"Of course." Warren chided himself for being this self-absorbed and walked Remy into the master bedroom. "Get in bed, Remy. I need to renew your bandages."

Saddened, Remy realized that only his things were in the room. Warren's bags weren't here. Separate bedrooms! Remy cringed, uncertain if he could sleep without Warren close. As he rested his body on the bed, he had to admit that the mattress was just perfect.

Warren retrieved the bag with medical supplies. He sat down on the side of the bed and pulled the blankets over Remy's body. "I need to get everything out first and I don't want you to grow cold."

"It's warm in here, cher," Remy corrected Warren. That heater had to be blasting on maximum setting!

Warren put the bandages and the salve to disinfect the wound on the bed next to him. "Let's have a look, Remy. Good thing that Hank insisted we all got some first aid training."

"Hank…" The name sparkled a memory. "Blue fur?"

"Yes. Doctor Henry McCoy, Hank, the Beast? Remember him?"

Slowly, Remy nodded his head. "Runs de medical lab."

"Yeah, that's Hank. Now, lay still!" Warren pulled back the blanket and carefully removed the wet bandage. "It's not infected yet," he reassured Remy, "But it looks angry and raw…" Absorbed in his task, he focused on supplying medical attention. First he applied the balm and then redressed the wound. "You need to rest, Remy or that wound will never heal properly."

But Remy hardly heard Warren's words, too focused on the touch of those warm and gentle fingers, so unlike the Antiquary's touch! Non, merde… don' want to think 'bout him now! In an effort to distract himself he asked, "What time is it anyway?" His biological clock was totally messed up!

"9 PM," Warren replied. "Not too early for you to turn in."

"I'm hungry…" Remy objected. "And dat couch is really comfortable."

"Well, I can fix dinner… and you can watch TV." Suddenly, he realized the absurdity of the situation. When did X-Men get the time and opportunity to live a normal life? Maybe this is my only chance… and I'm going to use it.

"I can walk," Remy offered and gestured Warren to hand him some sweats. Awkwardly, he struggled to put them on.

Warren could no longer sit back idly and helped Remy to get into the sweater. But what about the sweat pants? Hell, he couldn't withdraw his help now! So he grabbed the sweat pants and slid them over Remy's feet, calves, thighs and… then jerked back.

Remy lifted a hand to soothe his love's worries, but Warren was already on his feet.

"Can you walk?" Warren asked in a neutral tone. Damn, helping Remy dress couldn't possibly arouse him and yet it had!

"Not sure, I'll try," Remy muttered once the sweats were in place. He swung his feet on the floor and instantly reached for Warren.

"I've got you, Rem," Warren's tone softened at once. "I better…" and lifted the younger man in his arms… "carry you."

Briefly, Remy felt angered, but then decided it wasn't worth arguing about. He placed one hand behind Warren's back and held on as his love carried him back to the living room.

///

"Remy? Can you give me a hand here?" Warren balanced plates and bowls, filled with sandwiches and soup. "I need to get some groceries tomorrow…and a TV-guide!" he said amused as Remy kept changing channels.

Thankfully, Remy accepted the food and balanced it on his lap. "I am hungry!" Remy stated resolved, waiting for Warren to settle down on the couch as well and then dug into the sandwiches.

Amused, Warren watched him. "You've got a healthy appetite, Cajun! Hey, stop changing channels and…" he quickly claimed the remote and changed back the channel. "We can watch this."

"What is dis?" Remy asked in between bites, literally devouring the food.

"The Sentinel… Show's okay." Warren pulled the blanket over their knees and worried, he watched Remy. "Are you warm enough?"

"Oui," Remy assured him and attacked the soup next. It was warm and as it slid down his throat he finally felt alive again. "We're playin' couch potato den dis eve?" he said awkwardly, not wanting to embarrass Warren any further.

"Sure…" Warren rested his feet on the coffee table and wondered about his new lover. "Are you sure this is fine with you? Being here with me in this secluded…"

"More dan fine, ange," Remy whispered as he finished the soup. "More?" and extended his empty bowl.

Cursing softly, Warren struggled to his feet from underneath the blanket and returned to the kitchen. "Here, this is the last bit." He handed Remy the soup.

"Dat will do," Remy said reassuringly and snuggled up to his love when Warren sat back down again.

Warren wasn't sure how to react. Remy was so close! After debating the matter privately, he decided to allow this, but his fingers remained curled around his bowl. It was unnerving enough that Remy's closeness tended to arouse him! "Rem…"

"It's 'kay, ange," Remy said softly and rested his head on his love's shoulders. "I just want you close… please?

"Okay." Warren covered them both with the blanket and slowly relaxed as they watched the program. "Actually, this is kinda nice…" he admitted in a choked tone.

"Hum…" Remy whispered, feeling too cosy to talk, simply enjoying Warren's warm body next to his. Oui, it is.

///

New Orleans.

"Where's Remy?"

Jean-Luc cringed, hearing that upset voice. Just what he needed… an angry tante giving him hell! "Mattie… you're too late. Remy just left." She'd be disappointed that he hadn't insisted that Remy stayed until she'd returned. It'd been too many years since Mattie had seen Remy. He knew she wanted to hug and spoil Remy… just like he did!

Logan looked up questioningly as the source of the sudden noise sailed into the study. He studied the middle- aged woman, whose hair was decorated with coloured beads. He groaned, instantly realizing she was used to being in charge too.

She returned Logan's questioning stare and raised an inquisitive eyebrow. Eventually, she addressed the patriarch. "Jean-Luc? Who's dis?" Normally, he never allowed a stranger into his study. "And what's dis about bein' too late to see Remy? You didn' let him leave, did you?" She moved around until she stood in front of the desk.

"De assassins got restless and threatened to attack him inside de house. I had to get him out!" Jean-Luc stated resolved. "Mais don't worry about de petite. He's in de best hands. I'll update you later, d'accord?"

"I want to know everyt'ing about mon fils," Mattie sighed heavily. "I was so lookin' forward to holdin' him in my arms! How can you do this to me, Jean-Luc LeBeau?"

Amused, Logan watched the exchange. Suddenly, Jean-Luc seemed on the defensive, like he needed to justify his actions to this woman! Intriguing!

"And who is dis?" Mattie gestured at the stranger in the armchair. "Have you become careless durin' my absence? He might be an assassin!" Disappointment and concern mingled in her tone. Disappointment because sheds too late to see Remy and concern because Jean-Luc was acting oddly.

"Dis is Logan…" Jean-Luc introduced him and then wavered. What to call Logan? Friend? Fuckbuddy? Mattie will faint hearing dat one! Or lover?

As tante looked into Logan's eyes she shivered, seeing the feral side hiding in his soul. "You're a mutant!"

"Yeah," Logan said calmly. "And who are ya?"

"I raised Remy… together with Jean-Luc."

"She's family," Jean-Luc clarified, eyes filled with discomfort, which he aimed at Logan. Merde, there was no denying. They'd have to talk about their relationship, which had become so much more in so little time! He'd never planned on getting seriously involved with the Canadian, but sometimes things didn't go as expected. But he had to follow his heart, like he always did. It was the same heart that had urged him to help Remy escape from the Antiquary's collection. He still wished he'd tried to get the other kids out as well. Knowing that the Antiquary ruined so many lives still haunted Jean-Luc.

"I'm Mattie." She extended her hand, curious to see whether Logan would accept it.

"Logan," he grumbled, trying to cover up his own confusion at the looks Jean-Luc was giving him. They felt intimate and… sensual instead of sexual…

"Mais it's good you're back, Mattie. I need your help." Jean-Luc leaned back into the comfort of the chair. "I made a decision during dese last few days." He hadn't discussed this yet with Logan. Oui, he'd wanted to, but at that very moment Mattie had arrived. But he was determined to follow through, no matter what her reaction would be like!

Now tante was getting suspicious as well. "What's goin' on, Jean?" Something in the patriarch's eyes made her wary. She knew he lived a hard life, but…

"I'm going after de Antiquary," Jean-Luc announced in a firm tone, expecting disbelief and maybe even annoyance on Mattie's part. It wasn't the first time he'd made this announcement, but this time it was for real.

Logan gave Jean-:Luc a surprised glance. Wasn't that his job? Tracking the bastard down? Not only because he'd promised Warren, but also because he wanted to make sure the bastard never bothered Remy again. So why was Jean-Luc this determined to get involved personally? The Guild needed its patriarch! No way Jean-Luc could leave New Orleans like that!

"We'll do it together," Jean-Luc enlightened Logan. "De Antiquary is full of magic tricks… You'll need help."

Displeased, Mattie shook her head. "Bad idea, Jean."

"Why?" Logan growled. "I'm surprised ya never confronted the bastard for what he did to Remy!"

She smiled. Ah, this man cared about Remy… Good! Suddenly, she liked him. "You don' understand, Logan," she said carefully. "De Antiquary was de… 'patron' of de t'ieves' Guild for many… " centuries… "decades. His magic ensured de Guild's success." She couldn't tell him the truth, couldn't tell him that the Guild's leaders depended on the Antiquary to supply them with the potion of eternal life. Only the Antiquary knew its secret concoction. It had been the one thing the Antiquary had used to control the patriarch.

"It's too high a prize to pay!" Logan snarled venomously.

"I understand how you feel," tante assured him. "It broke our hearts too when we realized what he'd done to Remy, but… de Antiquary stands above de Guild. Even de patriarch had to follow his orders," she tried to explain.

Suddenly, Logan's eyes shot fire. I always wondered how the bastard got his hands on the kid. Looking at Jean-Luc, Logan clearly detected the guilt in his eyes. Ya stole him! Trying hard, Logan managed to stay in control of his rage. This was something he wanted to discuss in private later! "Ya got any idea where we can find the bastard?"

Mattie's glance shifted from Logan to Jean-Luc. "You don' want to do dis. De Antiquary agreed to leave Remy alone. You don' want to draw his attention to de boy!"

"De Antiquary left Remy alone because I banished him!" Jean-Luc exploded. "It's time we got some answers, Mattie. For Remy's sake, we need to find out why de Antiquary's obsessed with him!"

"He's right, ya know," Logan cut in. "What if the bastard decides he wants Remy back after all?"

Mattie cocked her head, thinking this over. "De Guild won' accept you goin' after him," she stated eventually. "Dey never forgave you for banishin' him. De Guild has become weak because de Antiquary no longer backs us up."

"Dat's de second decision I've made," Jean-Luc said calmly and got to his feet. Leaning over the desk, he bared his teeth and said sharply, "I'm going to step down as patriarch!"

///

Ireland

"Uh, Rem?" Warren switched off the TV. It was almost midnight, and although the couch was comfortable, a bed was way more desirable. Remy's head rested on his shoulder and the Cajun had snuggled up to him during the eve. At first, Warren had had a hard time controling his nervousness. Remy felt warm and fitted so perfectly against him that it made him wonder if had been destined to happen. No, he didn't believe in destiny, but sometimes he couldn't help but wonder. "Remy?" he repeated softly.

"Don'…" Remy whispered, refusing to wake from this peaceful sleep. Even his nightmares were keeping a distance now that Warren was this close. His right hand sneaked upwards, found Warren's and squeezed it gently.

"Looks like I've got to carry you to bed," Warren announced, uncertain whether that prospect thrilled or frightened him. Careful not to pull away the blanket, he succeeded in lifting Remy in his arms. Slowly, he made his way upstairs. Damn, he was swaying too! His back objected to carrying this weight now that he felt fatigued. Warren kicked open the door to Remy's bedroom and gently lay him down, covering him with blankets and comforter. Looking through the window, he realized it was still getting colder. "Hopefully it won't snow," he whispered, uncertain how Remy would react to snow and ice.

"Don'," Remy repeated in his sleep and his hand lunged forward to reach for Warren.

"Get more sleep, Rem… I'm across the corridor. Just call if you need me," he soothed the young Cajun. Briefly, he sat down, closely observing his new love. He clasped his hands tightly, trying to keep them from tangling in the auburn hair. Why the hell am I fighting this? I want to touch him… and he wants it too… Why can't I do this?

Hesitantly, he lifted one hand and let it hover over Remy's face. The Cajun looked so damn young and vulnerable. "Just how old are you?" He'd never considered that question before. From what Jean-Luc had told him Remy had been 18 when he'd been forced to leave New Orleans… So that made Remy what? 22? 23? He'd never realized Remy was this young. Leading a hard life made him look older.

Suddenly, his fingers touched the soft locks and he let go of the breath he'd been holding subconsciously. The locks felt like silk. Okay… I can touch his hair… what about his skin? Determined to take the next step as well, his fingers trailed down to Remy's brow. Fascinated, he softly caressed the scar there. He flinched, remembering how Remy had gotten it. 'He wanted to fuck me for money!' Remy had whispered in a choked tone.

"That will never happen again," Warren promised emotionally. "Never." His fingers now trailed down to those luscious red lips and he traced their outline. Shakily, he pulled back, impressed that he'd had the guts to actually touch a man like that. "Sleep tight, Remy and dream of your angels," he whispered warmly. He tucked Remy in and decided to keep one lamp on so his love wouldn't wake up in complete darkness.

As Warren made his way to his own room, he suddenly felt alone and cold. Part of him insisted it was stupid to sleep in separate rooms, but… I'm not ready yet!

///

Warren kept tossing and turning, unable to fall asleep. Something was wrong. His instincts refused to settle down and he got to his feet. Staring at the door, he wondered if this was about Remy. Quickly, he looked at the time. "O400," he whispered nervously. So far this had been a sleepless night. Maybe he'd feel better if he checked on Remy. Reassured, he might be able to fall asleep for the rest of the night.

Warren got to his feet, shivering from the cold. It was an old house and the heater was off. He was tempted to sneak back underneath the comforter. "No, I want to check on Remy first. What if he's having a nightmare?" He trembled, knowing only too well there was another reason why he couldn't sleep. Apocalypse and the Marauders were waiting for him in his dreamscape. No way he wanted to relive the pain of losing his wings! And what when Remy remembers how I lost them? I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if he felt guilty about that too… Damn, he'd learned so much about the way the Cajun's mind worked that it scared him.

Tough times were ahead and he knew it. What would happen when Remy remembered Rogue deserting him? What when he remembered the trial? And me refusing to defend him any longer? Ashamed, he grabbed a blanket, draped it over his shoulders and then walked into the corridor.

///

Frantically, Remy crawled out of bed, falling hard onto the floor. His side pounded alarmingly and he shook violently. I can' stay in dat bed! Remy thought in a panic. After he crawled into the corner of the room, he pulled up his knees and hugged them tigh. He completely ignored the pain in his side. "Too silent…" It was too silent in here. He needed some noise to convince him that he wasn't in the Antiquary's private rooms any longer. Although the room was illuminated, it didn't convince him. The Antiquary could summon illusions…

And then there had been this horrible dream, this horrific nightmare! His body trembled with remembered pain. He'd been back in the Antiquary's rooms and the old man had continued to tell him how badly he'd messed up his life. It'd almost felt like he'd been charged with his mistakes, like he'd been put on trial…

"Guilty," the Antiquary said and Remy tried to hide from the ugly dream, but couldn't escape his dream world.

"You may execute him," the Antiquary stated pleased.

Remy screamed, as something sharp caressed the skin of his throat. Briefly, he was on his hands and knees, a guillotine looming over him, threatening to separate his head from the rest of his body. "Non," he whispered scared.

"It's time tuh die, sugah…"

That voice sent him into hysterics. Crazed, he tried to get away from it, but instead he was being hauled into the air and then dropped onto the freezing ice. It was a death sentence and he knew it. He didn't want to look into her eyes, but he had to know… "Why?"

She didn't answer and simply flew away and suddenly the Antiquary's hands were all over him. Sharp slaps descended hard onto his body because he'd had the audacity to fall asleep in his master's bed without permission. It was the only place where he was allowed to sleep and he'd been so tired!

Warren hurried over to Remy, flung the blanket from his shoulders and wrapped it around Remy's shaking form. Was it just his imagination or were Remy's lips blue? "Remy? Rem! Listen to me. Listen to my voice. Come on, you've got to wake up. It's a nightmare," he whispered, sitting on his heels next to the Cajun. "Please, Rem."

Remy heard something, words, a voice, but couldn't think rationally. She wanted him dead. The Antiquary wanted him dead and… "Poppa?" he whispered eventually, reaching out for the lifeline that had saved him so many times before.

"Remy? It's me, Warren. Please look at me," he pleaded. Acting on impulse, he threw away his unease and slowly folded his arms around Remy. "Look at me, Remy. You're safe." Slowly, the red on black eyes turned a little more lucid. "Come on, Rem, I love you… come back to me…"

His eyes blinked… The voice was warm, passionately and begging him to listen. "So cold." The ice and snow now covered most of his body and he'd lost the feel in his limbs a long time ago.

"Remy? I'm going to get you back into bed…" Remy's scream cut Warren short. Forcing himself to remain calm, Warren waited for Remy to stop screaming. "What?"

"I can' go to bed… it's his bed and I'm so tired, will fall 'sleep wit'out his permission… so quiet… too quiet."

Warren sighed distressed. Had the Antiquary forced Remy to stay awake when he'd been drained? Had Remy needed the bastard's permission to get some sleep? Biting down his anger was hard, but Remy needed him and Warren managed to speak calmly. "You can go to sleep, Rem…"

"I can'…" Remy maintained. "It's too quiet… " he shivered violently, cold to the bone. He still hadn't fully returned to reality. The strange woman and the Antiquary were laughing at him, at his pain and horror.

"What if I stay the night?" Warren whispered. His own suggestion shocked him. "So much for sleeping separately." As he slowly lifted his love, he realized how cold Remy was. "Just trust me to take care of you, Rem."

Too tired, too screwed up from all the nightmares that mingled in his mind, Remy didn't object. He went limp in the strong arms, sensing a steady heartbeat underneath his fingertips. His head rested against a chest and then he felt the mattress underneath his body. His instincts kicked in. "Can' fall 'sleep." The antiquary would punish him!

"Yes, you can, love…" The word slipped from his lips unintended and Warren briefly trembled himself. "I'll hold you," he promised passionately. He sneaked into bed and pulled Remy into his arms. "We need to get you warm, Remy." First, he pulled the blankets and comforter over them and then he folded his arms around Remy's waist and shoulders, facing him. "Come closer, Remy."

Remy gave up on protesting and moved into the arms, rested his head against the warm body and held on for warmth and comfort. It felt good to be held like this and slowly, the cold became more bearable. It took him several minutes to recompose himself, but then he looked into Warren's blue eyes.

"Better?" Warren inquired, pushing away his unease at holding Remy. The Cajun cuddled up to him, fitting perfectly in his arms. Smiling weakly, Warren placed a kiss on Remy's brow, barely believing he was really doing this. Next, he tucked Remy's head beneath his chin, soothingly rubbing the Cajun's back.

"Much better…"

"Do you want to talk about that nightmare?" Warren couldn't help it. One hand trailed up Remy's back and gently stroked the auburn locks. This felt incredibly right, like this was meant to be. Remy shivered underneath his fingertips. "Scared you that much?"

Remy wasn't sure he wanted to talk about the nightmare, but an ingrained reflex took over. Poppa had always made him tell and he couldn't help but react in the same way now. "Dere's ice… ice and snow all 'round me and… he is dere, tellin' me I have to die for my mistakes…" Soft sobs shook his body.

"Shst," Warren soothed him. "I'm here… no one is going to hurt you. I promise."

"And den dere's dis woman. She's beautiful, but her eyes are cold… so fuckin' cold!"

Rogue, Warren realized instinctively. He's starting to remember the trial! Panic washed over Warren, scared that Remy would also remember his part in that trial. I failed you, Rem.

"Why does she want me dead?" Remy asked nervously. "Because of de… de Massacre?" Speaking the words still hurt.

"Rem, listen to me," Warren cupped his love's chin in his hand and forced Remy to lock eyes. "You didn't cause the Massacre. Sinister used you. Please, forgive yourself for that."

Remy's eyes grew big. "I t'ought…"

"What?" Sudden apprehension swept through Warren. Just what do you remember, Remy?

"Dat you blamed me…"

"Remy?" Scared, Warren stared into the alien eyes. "I don't blame you." Yes, at one time he'd blamed the Cajun for leading the Marauders into the tunnels, but the more he'd thought about it, the more convinced he'd become that Sinister had set Remy up. "You didn't know it would be a slaughter. If you had, you would never have led them there. That's why Creed…" his voice trailed off as Remy yelped in his arms. "Rem?"

"Creed… claws.. pain… the tunnels… tried to save dem! I really tried, mais…" Remy raved, remembering Creed clawing at his chest. "He left scars… just like de Antiquary did."

"Remy?" Something inside Warren snapped seeing the watering red on black eyes. The sobs started anew. "It's okay. Let it out, Rem. Tell me what scares you. No more secrets."

"He ripped open my chest… left me dere to die… I could only save a girl… bones stickin' out of her body." Remy refused to close his eyes, refusing to go back there. "I don' t'ink I ever told anyone 'fore," he whispered melancholy, "At least not dat I remember… mais for a moment it felt like deir pain was mine. Like all de people dying were inside my head and I couldn' get 'way from dem. After Creed slashed me I lay dere, listenin' to dem dyin'…"

"Damn, Remy!" Warren whispered distressed. "I never knew." His arms tightened around the Cajun, stroking, caressing and holding him close.

"Can you forgive me?" Remy looked into Warren's blue eyes, scared of what he'd find there. "I never wanted to get dem killed. T'ought Sinister would help dem, like he helped me."

"Helped you? How did he help you?"

"Removed brain stem matter," Remy confessed choked. "My power was out of control. I owed him…"

Speechless, Warren just held Remy's gaze prisoner. "I forgive you for being young and naive, for letting Sinister use you."

"De Massacre?"

"You didn't cause the Massacre, Remy." Warren waited until Remy had regulated his breathing. "Want me to stay or…"

"Stay," Remy whispered upset. "I need you…"

"I'm here." Warren didn't know how to offer more comfort. "I love you, Rem."

Remy smiled against Warren's chest. "Je t'aime, ange," he confessed passionately. "Stay and hold me?" That was all he wanted; to listen to Warren's heartbeat, to feel this warm body close to his. "I can' be 'lone."

"I'll stay. Now try to get back to sleep, love."

"I love it when you call me dat, cher," Remy admitted blissfully. "Don' let go of me," he pleaded.

"I won't," Warren promised. "I'll hold you through the night."

Reassured, Remy closed his eyes, adjusting his heartbeat to Warren's slower one and drained, he dozed off again.

///

Sunlight slowly dripped into their bedroom and it was Warren who first opened his eyes. Something warm and heavy was nestled against his chest and curiously, he opened his eyes. "Rem," he whispered, taken aback. The Cajun's eyes were slightly red from crying, but Remy looked breathtaking in the morning light. So beautiful. So perfect. His heart stirred with want and love. Too soon. We need more time, Warren realized and tried to ignore his morning hard-on. Maybe a cold shower would help. Then he'd get their groceries so he could prepare a decent breakfast. "I forgot to bring in the laptop," he remembered. Bobby would want to know if everything was fine and Remy could e-mail Jean-Luc that they'd arrived safely.

Remy stirred in his arms, nuzzling his throat and chest. The touch traveled straight to Warren's groin. To him, Remy was liquid sensuality, seeping into his pores. He had to get away before his determination crumbled! "I'll be back with breakfast in an hour," he promised and struggled from beneath the blankets. Knowing Remy was warm and soundly asleep, he walked into the bathroom.

///

Thirty minutes later, Remy opened his eyes too. His memories of last night were kind of foggy. He remembered having nightmares about ice, a strange woman and the Antiquary of course. Shivering, he wondered why the old man couldn't leave him alone, why the Antiquary had to haunt his dreams. Remy's head snapped back, suddenly remembering being pulled into warm and strong arms. Warren had soothed him last night, had caressed his skin, had listened to his confessions. "He forgave me," Remy whispered nervously.

Although Warren answered some of his questions, Remy didn't know why the ice and the strange woman were in his dreams. Were they fragments of his past or part of his imagination? Only Warren knew the answer, but Remy was too scared to ask. Speaking of Warren… Why was he alone in bed? Remy managed to sit upright and looked about. The room was empty. There was nothing that proved that Warren had spent part of the night here… Nothing that proved Warren had called him love. Had it just been another dream?

Fighting his panic, Remy pushed back the covers and struggled to his feet. His side throbbed and he remembered taking a hard fall last night. He clenched his eyes shut, trying to lock out the pain. Panicking, he wondered where Warren was. If it had just been a dream, Warren had to be in the other bedroom! He dragged the blanket with him, trying to hang on to a little of the warmth they'd built during the night. His bare feet moved over the floor. Luckily it wasn't that cold any longer. Seems like the heater had kicked in.

As he reached Warren's bedroom Remy froze in dread. The bed was neatly made and the room empty. "Warren? Ange?" he called out in sheer fear of abandonment. Frantically, Remy checked the dresser and cupboards. Warren's clothes were still here… Still here… maybe Warren was in the kitchen or…His heart beat irregularly, scared to uncover the horrible truth that Warren had deserted him a second time. Maybe Warren had realized that he couldn't deal with being in love with a man after all!

"Mon Dieu… please," Remy stuttered, almost in tears. "Not 'gain… he can' leave me 'gain!" Merde, this meant that it had been a dream after all. Warren had never come to his room to comfort him. It had just been a fucking dream! Shaking himself to pieces he descended the stairs, still hoping to hear Warren whistling, see him move about, but the kitchen was empty and so was the living room. With a startling sense of resignation, he looked out of the window. "De car's gone… de car's gone…"

Remy dragged himself over to the couch. Plates and bowls from yesterday eve were still on the coffee table, reminding him of the comfortable evening they'd shared. But it was over now. "I'm a fool," Remy chided himself. A fool for love. Clutching his head in his hands he continued to fight his tears. He should have known Warren would change his mind. After all, Warren had left him before.

Suddenly, his heart missed a beat. He rushed over to the window and couldn't believe his eyes. After parking the car Warren kicked open the doors, balancing groceries in his arms. One item fell onto the ground and Remy smiled, hearing the loud curse. "I am a fool," he said chidingly, "A fool for believin' he would leave me!"

Remy had never felt happier in his entire life, terribly relieved that his worst fear hadn't come true. Acting on impulse, he hurried over to the door. After opening it he walked towards Warren. Remy needed to be reassured that his love was back, needed the reassurance so badly that it hurt!

"Rem! Get inside! Crazy Cajun! You’re supposed to be resting!" Warren quickly took in Remy's flushed appearance and my God, were there really tears swimming in Remy's eyes? Shit! Remy thought I deserted him again! The thought drove a sharp knife through his heart. "I had to buy groceries," Warren explained in a choked tone.

Remy took one of the grocery bags and headed inside again, now feeling the cold climb up his legs. I can' tell him what I t'ought! He'll hate me for it!

"Rem?" Warren put the other bags on the kitchen counter and watched his lover's back. "Remy?" Slowly, he turned the Cajun around. "I should have left a note. Should have told you I was going to the store… I didn't want to spook you," he apologized. Since last night it was easier to touch Remy and his fingers brushed some stray locks behind his love's ears. "I'm sorry."

Lost for words, Remy trembled. Mon Dieu, Warren knew what he was thinking!

"You know I'm still working on this, Remy, but… can I hold you?" It was a huge step. Holding and caressing Remy last night had been different. The Cajun had needed the support, the affection, but now Warren was taking the initiative. Warren slightly opened his arms.

Remy didn't hesitate and flung himself into them. Without speaking a single word he leaned heavily on his love, treasuring that heartbeat underneath his ears. "I'm sorry too."

Warren smiled saddened. "I understand that you believed I left you, Remy. I did that before, but I promise I won't do it again."

"I still need to get used to… you lovin' me," Remy admitted.

"Are you hungry, Remy?" Warren cocked his head and managed to catch Remy's alien eyes with his. "We can fix breakfast together."

"I'd love dat." Remy nodded his head. "It's cold in here, cher," he said, trying to let go of the pain. Warren hadn't desert him! I need to get over dis fear and insecurity!

Warren refused to let go yet. Now that he had taken this step, he refused to release Remy this quickly. "Last night was a revelation," he whispered softly.

"Last night?" Remy cringed. "So you know 'bout de nightmares?" He felt embarrassed and ashamed for having been that weak last night. That hadn’t been the way he'd wanted to draw his lover's attention. Merde! He didn't want Warren to see him like that!

Warren recognized Remy's fear and his fingers gently tangled in Remy's silky hair. "I think I'm getting over my fear of touching you." Now, if that didn't get Remy's attention, nothing would!

"Uh?" Remy's eyes flashed brightly. He'd expected Warren to address the Massacre, not… this.

"I wanted to hold you so badly that… that I just went ahead and did it… just like I'm doing now." The bewilderment in Remy's eyes didn't surprise Warren. "Maybe we can take the next step?" He was damned nervous, but he really, really wanted to do this.

"Next step?" Remy repeated entranced. Only now he realized how close Warren was. Gentle fingers stroked his hair and another hand soothingly rubbed his back… Mon Dieu!

"I want to kiss you, Rem," Warren admitted. "Would you like me to kiss you?" Yes, he could do this. He could kiss Remy's lips!

"Mais oui," Remy whispered big-eyed.

Warren leaned in, holding Remy close. At first, his lips tentatively brushed Remy's and electricity spread through Warren's body. Those lips were soft and sensually responded to his kiss. "Oh, my God," Warren whispered, suddenly realizing just how badly he wanted this.

Surrendering to the kiss Remy closed his eyes, willingly parting his lips and allowing Warren entry. He whimpered as their tongues started a slow duel, chasing each other. His body pressed tightly into Warren's and he panted shallowly as the kiss continued and deepened.

Warren couldn't take his eyes of Remy, so warm and so perfect. Short of breath, he was forced to stop the kiss. "Sorry, Rem…" he whispered, noticing the bruised lips. "I didn't want to…"

"Ange…" Remy smiled reassuringly. That kiss had taken his breath away too. "I'm wobbly 'gain," he remarked teasingly. Mon Dieu, for a moment he'd thought he had died and gone to heaven. "More later?"

"Most certainly… more… longer… later," Warren mumbled at a loss. I never had a chance fighting this. This is meant to be… this is destiny.

With one arm still wrapped around his love's waist, Warren pulled Remy into the kitchen to prepare breakfast. Something ensured him this would be a passionate day.

///

New Orleans

"I want answers," Logan stated resolved. Mattie had left the study a few minutes ago and ever since tension had been building between the two men.

Jean-Luc waited patiently. "I know dat…" But what was it that Logan wanted to discuss first? Their relationship or…?

"She said that the Antiquary controled the patriarch with the potion of eternal life… Did he control ya?" Logan shifted in the chair and lit a cigar, which would hopefully calm him down a little. If what he suspected was true…

"Oui, he did." Jean-Luc knew there was no way out of this. And basically, he wanted to share this secret with someone he trusted. "He ordered me to steal de baby from de hospital." Unable to guess Logan's reaction, he waited for the Canadian's reply.

"Ya stole a baby?" Logan's voice was filled with disgust. "Did ya stop to think 'bout what ya were doin'? What 'bout the parents? What the bastard would do to the kid? How could ya do that?"

"I didn't have a choice! Merde!" His fist slammed into the desk. "I didn't have de power back den, which I have now! I had to carry out his orders! De Antiquary is… sacred to most thieves! When I banished him from N'awlins de entire Guild threatened to rise against me!"

"But to steal a newborn!" Logan noticed the guilt in Jean-Luc's eyes, but… "Ya could have done somethin' to stop it!"

"I tried!" Jean-Luc exclaimed. "Mais all de other thieves thought of de baby as an abomination. I stood alone! And I couldn't oppose de Antiquary alone! Don't you think dis still haunts me?"

"Is that why ya adopted Remy?" Logan needed more time to process this. It sickened him that someone had stolen a baby from its parents, but at the same time he understood Jean-Luc's dilemma. He had been in similar situations in which he hadn't had a choice.

"Partly," Jean-Luc admitted in a heavy tone. He dropped onto his chair and locked eyes with the Canadian. "It's a long story."

"I ain't goin' anywhere," Logan leaned back, gritting his teeth. "Ya better tell me now 'fore we run into the Antiquary and he tells me."

"Oui," Jean-Luc started, "I stole de baby." It was hard to confess, but if he wanted this relationship to work, he had to do this. "De first time I looked at him, de other thieves insisted de child was a monster… de devil. I couldn't believe dat. I would have taken him in, but de Antiquary wanted him for his collection." Jean-Luc looked away. "I didn't want to hand de baby over, mais de Guild insisted I obeyed de Antiquary, so I did."

"Bastard," Logan whispered. His heart felt for Jean-Luc, but he couldn't condone the patriarch's actions. "Ya could have said the baby hadn't survived birth! Ya could have taken him into safety."

"Non, I couldn't." Suddenly, Jean-Luc's voice turned icy. "I wasn't alone. Two other master thieves accompanied me."

"What happened next?" Logan fought the urge to let his claws pop out and slash the furniture to pieces.

"I knew dat de Antiquary was a vile man. Dere were rumours dat he abused de children dat made up his collection, but my hands were tied. Ten years later, I was strong enough to challenge his authority and I ended up banishing him from de Guild. Needless to say dat de Guild never forgave me for weakening deir position. De Antiquary promised to return, to extract revenge."

"So ya banished him? Where was Remy all that time?" Slowly, Logan calmed down, realizing Jean-Luc was still suffering, still paying the prize for his mistake.

"I helped Remy flee de collection, which was quickly taken over by de Antiquary's allies. At least de abuse stopped." Jean-Luc hated going back in time, hated telling this.

"What 'bout Remy?" Logan pushed on, curious and enraged.

"Unfortunately Remy ran after I got him out. He was so fast dat I lost track of him. He lived on de streets for a few months. Den, my men located him and I arranged it for Remy to be able to pick my pocket. Dat's when I took him in."

"And yer still payin' the prize, even now…" Logan didn't know how to react, what to feel or think.

"Not paying," Jean-Luc corrected him. "I really love Remy, consider him my own flesh and blood. He makes good what is wrong in my life." Jean-Luc searched for the right words. "Mattie and I spent ten years to undo a small percentage of de damage de Antiquary did. When I realized how badly he'd hurt Remy… I can never forgive myself for being such a coward when I was younger."

"And ya want to talk to the bastard, why?" Logan had reached his decision. He'd stand beside Jean-Luc in this search, but it'd take him some time to come to terms with what Jean-Luc had done. But he has been doin' a great job makin' himself miserable... and he helped Remy the best he could…

"De other kids in de collection never went through de kind of abuse Remy suffered. I want to know why de Antiquary was so determined to break him." Jean-Luc wondered if he had lost Logan's trust. He hoped not, realizing how important the Canadian's forgiveness was to him. "I never wanted to hurt Remy."

"What 'bout the kid's parents?" Logan would deal with Jean-Luc's guilt later. It was time to look towards the future. Staying stuck in the past wouldn't help them.

"Dat's another reason why I want to talk to him. He also ordered me to steal de baby's birth certificate. I think dat he wanted to eradicate all evidence dat Remy ever existed."

"Ya didn't peek at the names on it?"

"Non, I was too shaken when I realized how special de baby was…"

Logan raised a questioning eyebrow. "Special?"

"Being a mutant… and his smile… his small fingers closed around mine and… my heart broke when I had to hand him over." Jean-Luc felt a little reassured, now that Logan was still here, not walking out on him.

"So," Logan recapped, "We go find the bastard responsible for this and find out why he wanted Remy and who the kid's parents are."

"You're still going to help me?" Jean-Luc asked to make sure. "I know what I did was wrong…" he offered as apology.

"I know that… and I can hardly believe ya stooped that low, but we should concentrate on helping the kid the best we can. Are ya gonna tell him the truth?" Logan watched him closely, noticing the twitch near Jean-Luc's mouth.

"I never planned on telling Remy," Jean-Luc admitted. "I don't want to hurt him even more. I don't know how he'll react when he finds out. I'd destroy de trust between us."

"But now yer livin' a lie," Logan replied slowly. "But I can understand 'bout not wantin' to hurt him."

"Logan," Jean-Luc got up and walked over to the Canadian. "Has dis changed things between us?"

"I don't know yet," Logan whispered, sighed and rose from the chair. Staring into each other's eyes, he studied Jean-Luc. "I'll help ya track the Antiquary down. We'll find those answers and after that… I don't know. We just have to take this one step at a time."

"Merci," Jean-Luc said relieved. "I hoped you'd understand…"

"To a certain degree," Logan corrected him. "I understand about bein' forced to follow orders, but… this is a mess, man."

Jean-Luc nodded his head. "Mais I'm glad you know de truth now… not even Mattie knows…"

"Hey, Cajun…" Logan lifted a hand and rested it on the thief's shoulder. "We all make mistakes. Yers ruined a kid's life… But ya tried to make it up to him. Remy really loves ya… Ya did de best ya could."

Relieved, Jean-Luc realized he could count on Logan's continued support. However, he didn't know what this had done to their relationship. Only time would tell.

"Jean-Luc?" Mattie stepped into the study, face determined, eyes questioning. "I know where you can find him."

"Mattie?" Jean-Luc quickly walked up to her. She had her own sources to extract information, sources that he couldn't access. "Where is he?"

"Russia… Moscow." Mattie studied them both, determination shone from their eyes, then she voided her concern. "I don' want Remy to get hurt because of dis."

"Warren will protect him," Jean-Luc assured her. "Call Marceaux! I need to tell him dat he's now in charge of de Guild! Logan, we're leaving in a few hours! Get ready!"

"I'm ready to kick some ass," Logan hissed and left the room, knowing that Jean-Luc had to take care of some loose threads. He wondered how the Guild would react to Jean-Luc stepping down.

"Be careful, Jean," Mattie said concerned. "De Antiquary knows your fears. He'll summon up your personal demons." She walked up to him. "He'll threaten to hurt Remy if you don' back off. Ask yourself, is findin' out de truth worth it?"

"Oui, it is!" Jean-Luc stated resolved. "Remy deserves to know de truth!"

///

Ireland

"All right," Warren mumbled. "You want to use the comp first? Jean-Luc should know we arrived safely." Warren looked up at Remy, who was obviously having a hard time staying put on the couch. They'd finished breakfast an hour ago and Warren had retrieved the laptop from the car.

"You don' mind?" Remy inquired, as Warren put the laptop on the Cajun's knees. "I won' read any of your mail," Remy promised softly.

Warren settled down next to Remy on the couch and picked up the TV guide. "Go ahead, Rem. I'm going to plan the rest of our day." Now that Remy was stuck in the house, Warren planned on taking things slow. Remy needed rest, not running about. Warren grabbed a pen and started highlighting the programs that might be of interest.

Slightly confused, Remy opened a new message and addressed it to poppa. Next, his fingers froze. "I don' know what to write."

"Why's that?" Warren looked up from the guide.

"I never… never kept in contact," Remy tried to explain. "Poppa doesn' have de time to answer my messages… dis will only make him feel guilty."

Warren put the TV guide down. "Do you want to write it together?"

Remy gave in. "What should I write?"

"Dearest poppa," Warren started and gave Remy a warm smile. Sudden amusement shone from red eyes.

"Dearest poppa it is," Remy whispered and typed the words. "Now what?"

"C'mon, Remy!" Warren sighed exasperated. He got to his feet and started rummaging in one of Remy's bags, which he still had to unpack. He located the framed picture and put it on the shelf near the fireplace. Both Cajuns looked happy and thrilled. "Tell him what you feel."

Remy sighed, "You can be irritatin', cher."

"Thanks!" Warren smiled teasingly. "Do you want some tea or do you prefer coffee?"

"Tea," Remy mumbled absentmindedly as he typed away.

Dearest poppa… we arrived safely. So far I've only seen the inside of the house. Warren is really overly protective, like you are.

Remy made sure that Warren was still in the kitchen, wanting a little privacy before making his next admission.

Last night I had a terrible nightmare about… him. Will he ever stop haunting me? Poppa… I feel lost… but I have Warren and he's really supportive. He held me through the night and even called me love! This morning we even kissed… after I freaked out. Warren went to get some groceries and I thought he had left me again. I was so stupid… But… he still doesn't like touching me, poppa. I think it's the scars. Warren probably thinks about what the Antiquary did when touching me… It's strange though.

Remy listened to the sounds Warren made in the kitchen, still feeling safe enough to continue to bear his soul.

I don't understand. He hasn't even addressed having sex. Is that because he hates the scars? Why else? I know that you tried to explain to me that sex and love are two different things, but I still don't get it.

"Remy? Do you what a snack as well? I got cookies." Warren looked over at the couch, seeing his lover's knitted brow. Damn, he wished Jean-Luc could have tagged along.

"Sure," Remy whispered lost in thought.

Sorry to bother you about this, poppa, but you're the only one who understands. I know that you're too busy to answer this message… That's okay. I just want you to know that I love you and am thinking about you.

Your son, Remy.

After a moment's thought, Remy sent the message. He could only hope that Jean-Luc had the time to read the e-mail, but he certainly didn't expect an answer.

"Your tea… and cookies," Warren handed Remy the cup and then placed the laptop on the coffee table. He planned on e-mailing Bobby later. "What are you thinking about, Rem?" He disliked seeing the apprehension in those red eyes. Instinctively, he knew how important it was that they'd discussed these matters. Remy shutting him out was the worst thing that could happen!

"T'inkin' 'bout us," Remy admitted as he slowly sipped from his tea.

"Us?" Warren put his tea on the coffee table and turned to study his love.

"Oui… It's so… weird dat you're hesitant to touch me," Remy choked out in a tiny tone.

In an effort to reassure Remy, Warren took hold of Remy's left hand and soothingly rubbed his lover's fingers. "I'm working on it. Dad never hugged me… It's hard to change my way of thinking."

"Dat's not it," Remy objected, lost in thought. He spoke his mind before realizing he was saying the words aloud. "I've never been wid someone who wants to take t'ings slow… who doesn' jump me…"

"Rem," Warren reached up and caressed Remy's face. "I want to take things slow because I want this to be different."

"Different from what?" Pleadingly, Remy stared into Warren's blue eyes. "Make me understand. Do you t'ink I'm ugly? Because of de scars?" The words escaped unintended.

"Is that it?" Warren whispered in sudden understanding. "You mentioned this last night too."

"Most men just want sex…" Remy explained earnestly. "Den dey dump me."

Jean-Luc is right… Remy still thinks, feels and acts too much like a victim, like he doesn't have a say in the matter. Warren chose his next words carefully. "I'll try to explain this to you, Rem." He lifted Remy's hand to his lips and kissed the knuckles. Remy's sudden intake of breath made Warren smile. He felt excited as well.

"Oui?" Remy whispered in a desperate tone. He didn't know what to make of Warren's signals. They confused him.

"Do you remember Betsy? Psylocke?" Warren asked concerned. If he wanted Remy to fully understand his reasons, he haf to explain the past first.

A shudder rocked Remy's body as the face of a dark haired woman appeared in his mind. "I think I do." He didn't add that he never liked her. Merde! Remy realized with a start. "Betsy and you…"

"We were an item, yes, but we split up months ago," Warren said soothingly. "We're no longer together."

Remy's panic grew less, hearing the reassurance. Briefly, he'd been scared that Warren was cheating on Betsy, playing him as well. "What does she have to do wid… us?" He spoke the word hesitantly.

Warren felt uncomfortable. He'd never admitted this to himself. "On our first date we ended up in bed. We had sex and I felt like I had to perform to the best of my ability, to satisfy her every need."

Remy blushed. "You don' have to tell me dis."

"No, I need to tell you, just listen." Warren drew in a deep breath. "I only realized this recently. I hated being judged by my performance in bed. She always made it very clear that she was doing me a great favour, letting me touch her like that. Each time after we had sex, she would disappear into the shower to clean up. It always made me feel like she wanted to wash me off."

"I'm sorry," Remy mumbled, uncomfortably. "Why are you tellin' me dis?"

"I want to take this slow, because I don't want this to be about sex." Warren caressed Remy's skin and the Cajun closed his eyes in bliss. "I want this relationship to be about other things as well, trust, love, honesty," Warren added.

"I never tried dat…" Remy confessed, lost as gentle fingers traced his lips.

"Neither have I, but I'm willing to make this work." Warren smiled, seeing the happy smile on his love's face. "We're going to take this slow, Rem."

"I…" Remy hesitated, afraid to mention his fears. "I'll fuck dis up. I don' know how to make dis work."

"Hey, love." It surprised Warren how easily that little word slipped from his lips. "We're in this together. We'll figure it out."

Remy shook his head. "Never had a successful relationship 'fore."

"Then this will be our first," Warren reassured Remy and leaned in closer to press a teasing kiss on Remy's lips. "Geeze, this is getting easier all the time." Then, he halted, realizing something. "You can take the initiative too, you know." Thus far, he'd instigated their kissing.

"Ange?" Remy avoided Warren's eyes, focusing on the cookies in his lap. Warren's fingers still caressed his brow, lovingly tracing the scar. "Don' I gross you out?" Merde, he'd never wanted to say that! Remy cringed, wishing he could flee the room this instant, but his injury made that impossible.

"Gross me out?" Warren repeated shocked. "Why do think that?" Warren took hold of Remy's hands and pulled the Cajun a little closer. "Just tell me, Remy." The books Jean-Luc had given him had stressed the importance of discussing feelings. Warren was really happy that Remy wasn't shutting him out.

"You know what de Antiquary did, what I sometimes had to do to survive on de streets… I had lovers before I joined de X-Men… all fucked up relationships or messy one nightstands. I can' believe you'd want me." Hesitantly, Remy peeked at Warren's eyes. "I've been 'round de block, Ange."

"Rem," Warren whispered shocked. "I wish you had never been hurt like that. I understand that you need time to… adjust to this, so do I, but I will never think less of you because of the abuse or your affaires. All I want is you… just the way you are."

"I needed to hear dat," Remy whispered nervously. Trembling, he leaned forward and nestled against Warren's chest. "I'm…"

Warren distinctly heard the self-loathing and stopped Remy. "I love you, Rem." He chuckled privately. I never told Betsy this many times that I loved her. Maybe they had said it once or twice during the time they'd been together.

Remy remained quiet, simply savouring the arms locked around him, the heartbeat close to him. "I'm sleepy, sorry."

"You didn't sleep that well last night," Warren stated. "Why don't you take a nap right now? I need to write some messages, unpack the rest of our stuff and…" Warren smiled, sensing Remy's regular breathing. Gently, he got to his feet and helped Remy to get comfortable on the couch. Then he retrieved the comforter from their bedroom and covered the Cajun with it. "Sleep tight," he whispered and kissed Remy's brow. Yeah, touching Remy wasn't that hard!

Warren carried the laptop over to the kitchen table and sat down. As his eyes scanned the screen, he noticed that Remy had sent one message, addressed to his father. Briefly, he felt tempted to read it, but then dismissed the idea. Remy was entitled to his privacy. A grin surfaces on Warren's face as he typed Bobby's e-mail addy. Blue furry balls… How did Bobby come up with these things?

Hello Drake! I'm trying hard not think about what will happen should Hank find out about your new e-mail address. He will think up some terrible punishment! How are things with Nicholas? Did you go out on that date? Just want you to know that I really want to hear about that one! More on a serious note. I never expected you to find out that Remy's still alive or that I'm love with him. But thanks for all the advice you gave me (and for kicking my butt!) I returned to New Orleans and I told him I love him. Remy feels the same way. We decided to go to Ireland (that's where we are now) to try and work things out. I'm following your advice, Bobby, taking things slow.

Did I already tell you that he has amnesia? It's getting better… or worse. He doesn't remember Rogue and only now starts to dream about the trial. You know what really freaks me out? Remy remembering that I told him to defend himself. Remembering that could shatter the trust we managed to build. There's so much more I want to tell you, but I can't. I know things will be tough and I will need someone to talk to. There's so much I need to tell you, but I want your word first that this will remain between the two of us. You can't tell Hank! Do you understand, Drake?

Okay, let me know if you're okay with that. I need to check on Remy. He fell asleep on the couch and his side has been acting up.

Take care, Ice Cube!

Warren.

Reading his message over Warren shook his head. He'd only planned on a short note, not a letter. Well, it looked like he'd needed to get this off his chest! After he sent the message, he closed the laptop and returned to Remy, who was still deeply asleep, a sleep undisturbed by dreams. "What do I do next?" Warren wondered aloud. It was only 13.00 and there was no way he could leave the house as long as Remy was asleep. He didn't want to scare the hell out of Remy ever again. "Well, I didn't get that much sleep either," he sighed and sat down on one end of the couch. Slowly, he pulled Remy's head onto his lap.

The Cajun didn't even wake, knowing he was safe as long as Warren was near and shifted a little closer, never releasing the comforter.

Warren rested his feet on the coffee table and settled for stroking Remy's hair and listening to the Cajun's steady breathing. A few minutes later, he dozed off as well.

///

Hours later, Remy woke and opened his eyes. He felt surprisingly warm and comfortable. Quickly, he realized why. Warren was holding him tightly in his sleep. His head rests in Warren's lap and his lover's arms rested on his. Remy's eyes continued to scan his lover's face, remembering bits and pieces of their last conversation.

"Takin' t'ings slow." Remy didn't know how to do that. All his relationships had been based on sex… he'd never managed to connect on another level. The only exception to that rule was Jean-Luc, but what they shared was very special. If it hadn't been for poppa and tante he would have given up a long time. Ashamed, Remy remembered all the times that he tested poppa, tested Jean-Luc's commitment and honestly. Even after spending several weeks at the LeBeau household he'd expected Jean-Luc to turn into a monster like the Antiquary. But that had never happened. Jean-Luc had always treated him like his son.

And that was exactly what he was doing to Warren now, testing him, but this time subconsciously. Warren insisted that they took it slow. That confused and made Remy feel relieved at the same time. He'd never stopped hoping that one day he'd find someone who'd love him just the way he was. But now that Warren was here, he felt scared of disappointing his new love.

"Don't do that."

Warren's voice took Remy by surprise. "Sorry," Remy whispered, realizing that he had been looking at his love's face for several minutes. "T'ought you were still 'sleep."

Warren locked eyes with Remy and smiled. "Did you sleep well?"

"Oui, t'anks to you," Remy admitted. "Havin' you dis close makes me feel safe."

Absentmindedly, Warren stroked Remy's auburn hair. "Does this feel good to you too? It feels so right," he mused.

Remy couldn't help but concur. "It does. I can' explain it, mais…"

Warren licked his lips. "Rem, about that kiss this morning. I hope you don't think I'm pushing you." He silenced Remy by placing a finger over his lover's lips. "No, I mean it. I don't know what pace is appropriate. I try gauging your reactions, but…"

"You ain' pushin' me," Remy assured Warren. "I liked kissin you."

"Would you be interested in… you know… another kiss?" Warren smiled, cocked his head and remembered Remy's passionate reaction earlier that morning. But damn! He was scared that this would set off nasty flashbacks. "Just be honest, Rem."

"I'd like to kiss you… and do a lot more," Remy sighed. Suddenly, his eyes widened. Why had he added that last part?

"It's okay, Remy, I understand." Warren leaned in closer, gently holding Remy's face between his hands. He moaned as their lips brushed. Soft tremors rocked their bodies as tongues traced the insides of each other's lips. Warren's eyes remained open, carefully monitoring his love's reaction. So far Remy still felt comfortable. Willingly, Warren parted his lips, luring Remy's tongue inside.

Remy groaned at Warren's delicious sweetness. Warren's eyes were locked with his, making Remy even more aware of the fact how much his ange loved him. The kiss seemed to last for hours and after an eternity Remy came up for breath. "Cher… wow," he whispered dizzy. "Never felt dis good, dis right."

Warren nodded his head. " I know what you mean, Rem…" He laughed warmly as Remy's stomach growled with hunger. "Dinner time, huh?" he said teasingly.

"I'm 'fraid so," Remy replied and allowed Warren to pull him into a sitting position. The pain in his side had lessened considerably.

"You still need to take your antibiotics." Warren got to his feet and collected the meds from the kitchen table. He offered them to Remy with a glass of water.

"How much longer do I have to take dem?"

Warren looked at the instructions. "Looks like another 7 days, Rem."

"Merde…"

Amused, Warren pulled Remy gently to his feet. "Why don't you go upstairs and clean up a little? I'm going to start dinner and you can lay the table…"

Remy nodded his head. He did want to change into a fresh set of sweats. "Je t'aime," he whispered suddenly, eyes warm with affection.

"I love you too, Rem," Warren replied and placed a swift kiss on already bruised lips. I never thought that saying it would be that easy. Actually, I want to scream it at the mountains!

///

"I never knew you're such an excellent cook," Remy complimented Warren. He'd really eaten too much, but it'd been so delicious! "And de dessert…" He seriously doubted he could also eat dessert!

"Chocolate mousse," Warren announced and placed the plate in front of Remy. "Just a few bites or do you want me to feed you?"

"Temptin'." Remy quipped, suddenly teased by a vision of Warren covered in chocolate mousse, waiting for him to lick it off his body. However, the image also invoked another memory, one he'd tried to forget for years…

"What is it?" Warren recognized the naked terror in Remy's eyes and had to push, had to know the truth in order to help his lover. "You can tell me everything, love."

Hearing that word pushed Remy over the edge. "He made me go down on him…"

Speechless, Warren swallowed hard. Oh my God, Remy! Warren got up from his chair and quickly covered the distance between them. Covering Remy's hands with his, Warren managed to catch Remy's evasive gaze. "I don't know what to say," he offered honestly. "Is there anything I can do…"

"Would you hold me?" Remy cut Warren short, determined not to let the Antiquary stand between them. The old man was not going to ruin this!

"Crazy Cajun," Warren whispered affectionately and put his arms around Remy's trembling frame. "It's okay to cry in order to let go. It's okay to cry," he repeated and was relieved when something wet moistened his shirt. "Just let go, Rem."

Holding onto Warren, Remy finally let go of his pain.

///

Westchester

"Scott?" Bobby raised an eyebrow. He was distributing the mail and had already delivered a bunch of scientific magazines to Hank and the professor, a package with oriental seeds to Storm for her garden and was now knocking on Scott's door. "C'mon, Slim. I don't have all day!"

"Bobby?" Jean rushed to the door and opened it. "Scott's in the danger room, working on a new program. Why don't you give it to me?"

"Here you go, sweetheart…" Bobby's eyes grew big, realizing what he'd just called Jean.

"I take it your date with Nicholas went well?" Jean smiled, accepting the small package and put it on Scott's side of the bed.

"Actually, Nicholas and I had a long talk last night," Bobby revealed, blushing slightly. "He doesn't have a problem with me being a mutant."

"That's great," Jean said happily. "Is there a chance I can meet him, or are you greedily going to keep him to yourself?" She stepped out of the room, planning on helping Scott test the new training program.

"Maybe we can have lunch together…? I'm sure he won't mind. He's very easy-going…" Bobby sighed, blissfully in love.

Angry voices ruined his happy mood. "What?" Bobby asked Jean. "Sounds like Joseph and…"

"Rogue… they've been fighting ever since Warren asked about Remy." Jean's eyes grew saddened. "I don't want to believe she left him out there to die, but… right now it's the only possible answer."

"How can I trust you, Rogue?" Joseph's voice echoed through the corridor, followed by a slammed door.

"I always liked Rogue," Bobby admitted thoughtfully and watched as Rogue appeared and flew off through one of the open windows. "But I guess I've been blind to her true nature."

"Bobby," Jean patted his shoulder. "We've got to move on. I just wish Remy hadn't died out there."

Bobby was tempted to tell her the truth, knowing damn well she was mourning Remy's death, but he couldn't do that without Warren's permission. But maybe he could give Jean hope. "We never found his body, Jean. Maybe he made it out alive?"

Briefly, hope flickered in her eyes, but then died. "Thanks, Bobby, but we both know miracles like that don't happen to people like us. " Saddened, she recomposed herself and followed Bobby to the danger room.

///

Westchester

It had been a long, very long day and exhausted, Scott stumbled into their bedroom. Silently, he thanked Jean for the offer to finish the training program. He really needed a break. He had been at this for too many hours, all the time trying to forget just why he was burying himself in this huge amount of work. He'd failed. It was as simple as that. Fearless leader had failed a team-mate. "Why can't I stop thinking about it?" he wondered aloud as he dragged himself into the bathroom to take a quick shower. As the water cascaded down his body he released a deep sigh, letting go of his tension.

Gambit. The name continued to twist in his mind. He'd failed the Cajun. No matter what had happened in the past, Remy had proven time and time again that he was a true X-Man. Compassionate and ready to fight for a just cause. Damn! Why hadn't he picked up earlier on the problems between Rogue and Gambit? True, it hadn't been any of his business, but the professor entrusted their lives to him whenever they left on a mission!

"If only I'd been there… Gambit might still be alive now." Now things were a mess. Rogue had taken Joseph as a new lover and he just couldn't figure it out. Why Joseph? Just because they could touch? Was that all a relationship meant to Rogue? Scott tried to imagine having Rogue's mutant power, unable to touch bare skin. Would it keep him away from Jean? Would it destroy the love between them? "I rather slap on a Genoshan collar… " At least that way he could touch her, make love to Jean. But he felt certain that Rogue had never considered it. He knew because Hank had a few collars for research purposes and they'd never left the lab.

And again Scott wondered about Rogue and Gambit. Had it been true love? "On both their parts," he whispered aloud. It still struck him as odd that Gambit would chose a lover who couldn't be touched. Damn! This was messing with his mind!

Sweetheart? Jean walked into their rooms and cautiously probed her husband's mind. Is this okay? she asked carefully, not wanting to invade his privacy.

"Yes," Scott sighed deeply. He stepped out of the shower cabin and wrapped himself up in warm towels. As he walked into their bedroom he forced a smile onto his face.

Hey, I miss him too, Jean sent soothingly and she sat down on the bed, patting the space next to her. Want a backrub? You look tired. Stop blaming yourself for Remy's death. You weren't even there, sweetie.

"We waited too long before going back to Antarctica." Fatigued, Scott picked up the package Bobby had handed Jean and threw it onto the chair. It felt like a letter… maybe with a file attached to it. He'd check it out later. First, he needed Jean's closeness.

"Scott," Jean started, pulling him down next to her, "You went back there. You tried to find him. You did everything humanly possible. Let it go. It's okay to mourn his death." It was something she had been doing for months, mourning her friend's death.

Scott sat quietly. "I lost too many people… Jean. You know that," he whispered shakily, surrendering to Jean's touch. "I just want it to stop."

///

Ireland

Warren smiled warmly, as Remy dropped next to him onto the couch. "You ready to watch the first movie?" When he'd picked up the groceries, he'd also checked out the vids for rental and had chosen two.

"You're really serious 'bout takin' t'ings easy!" Remy sighed exasperated. He didn't remember the last time he had this much spare time. With the X-Men, there had always been a villain to fight! Getting used to a different rhythm of life would take time.

"Yeah, I am!" Warren quipped and put in the first vid. "I even made popcorn." Warren also pointed out the soft drinks on the coffee table. "No alcohol as long as you're on meds!"

"Merde, you're no fun!" Remy cursed softly, but made sure amusement colored his eyes. "You turnin' into a moder hen, ange!"

"You need one!" Warren countered and forgot to exhale when Remy moved a little closer. "What are you doing?"

Remy lifted one of his love's arms, draped it over his shoulder and snuggled up to him. "Gettin' comfortable for de movie," he announced wickedly, resting his head on Warren's shoulder.

Remy fit perfectly against his body. "Oh," escaped Warren breathlessly. The contact started a reaction in his groin, almost crumbling his determination. But he knew what was at stake and that he had to be strong. "You tease! You're doing this on purpose!"

"Oui, guess you’re right," Remy admitted blissfully as Warren pulled him closer. "What movie did you rent?" In the back of his mind he fervently hoped it wasn't a movie with a lot of snow and ice in it.

"I hope you'll like it. It's called 'The Mummy' and comes highly recommended by Bobby." Warren pushed the play button and then grabbed the popcorn bowl, balancing it on his knees. Remy immediately lunged forward to grab a handful and Warren smiled. "Hungry again?" Remy's appetite had returned with a vengeance.

"Oui, mais popcorn will do…" Remy looked up wickedly. "What are you goin' to cook me for dinner dis eve?" It was fun pushing Warren's buttons a little. It surprised Remy how much he enjoyed Warren's reactions.

"Me? Cooking dinner for you?" Warren exclaimed with a grin on his face. "Well, maybe," he gave in quickly, too relieved to see the smile on the Cajun's face. He wasn't going to argue! "Now be quiet and let's watch the movie!"

"Does Bobby know 'bout me?"

The question hit Warren unprepared. Should he tell the truth or a white lie? "Why are you asking me that question?" With one eye Warren continued to watch the commercials.

"Because your message was addressed to Bobby Drake," Remy said, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. "I peeked at the addy," he admitted in a guilty tone. "I just wanted to check if poppa replied… "

"It's okay," Warren said soothingly. "I should tell you anyway. I don't want to have any secrets from you."

"Ange?" Remy looked up, eyes big, lip quivering. "Did you tell him?"

"Honestly, Rem, he figured it out himself. I needed to talk to someone when I realized that I loved you." Warren stopped the tape and focused on his love. "He kicked my butt back to New Orleans, telling me I was a fool to let love slip away."

"He figured it out himself?" Remy urged Warren on, still leaning against his lover for support.

"I kinda… defended you when they mentioned Antarctica and the trial," Warren confessed, leaving Joseph and Rogue out for now. Remy wasn't up to remembering them yet and he wouldn't force the process. "Bobby found it… odd that I felt that strongly about you getting stuck out there and… at that time I had already told him I was in love with a man." Heart pounding, he waited for Remy's disapproval. "Sorry that I violated your trust."

But Remy just gave him a warm smile. "You defended me?"

Warren wondered if Remy had heard the rest of his admission as well, as the Cajun only focused on that one fact. "Yeah, I did. You might want to know that others disagree with the way things went at the trial as well. You still got friends in Westchester."

Shyly, Remy looked away. "I'm not sure 'bout dat, cher." At a loss, he asked, "Do dey know I worked for Sinister? That I helped de Marauders…?"

Warren cut him short. "They know, but you're not to blame for the Massacre. Please try to get that into your thick skull!"

Remy remained quiet and Warren was urged into action. "Love," and geeze, how easily did that little word slip from his lips! "You don't have to worry about Bobby. He's a friend. Ice Cube practically hit the ceiling when he realized that you're still alive."

"I always liked Bobby," Remy whispered, "Mais I always felt dat he didn' like me, 'cause of…" Suddenly, he grew silent, wondering why Bobby disliked him. "I don' remember why," he admitted softly.

"You'll remember when you're ready to remember. So, do you mind Bobby and I talking on the net… maybe even talking about you?" Warren phrased this carefully. "Bobby and I have been friends for years."

Remy shrugged his shoulders. "I don' mind…" But was it the truth? Did he know himself? How did it make him feel, knowing one of the X-Men had learned he was still alive?

"Want to watch the movie now?" Warren inquired and handed Remy the remote. "Or do you want to talk some more?"

"Non, movie sounds fine." He could worry about Bobby later. Right now only Warren holding him mattered.

///

"Dat was a… spooky movie!" Remy chuckled amused, wondering if you could get high on soft drinks, too much popcorn and chocolate.

"Yeah," Warren agreed as he balanced the tape in his hand. "We still got one more to go."

"I'm hungry, ange."

"Dinner first?" Warren checked the time, 19.00. "I can nuke a pizza?"

"Nuke a pizza?" Remy laughed warmly. "I always took you for de 'healt'y' type!"

Warren nodded his head. "Usually, I am, but I want to get back onto the couch with you." Closely, he watched Remy's stunned reaction. The red on black eyes widened, the pupils dilated and the Cajun looked flabbergasted.

"You're kiddin'," Remy whispered taken aback. Part of him still had problems believing that Warren really loved him.

"No, I'm not!" Surprisingly quickly Warren got to his feet.

Remy never expected that move and fell to his side. "Merde, cher!" he cursed teasingly.

"I'm back in five!" Warren promised and ran into the kitchen.

Remy watched Warren disappear, heard him rummaging around in the fridge, opening the oven and shoving the pizzas inside. "Wid extra cheese!" he called out and ducked as a pillow came flying at him. Mon Dieu… he hadn't had such a great time in… years? And he owed it all to Warren.

///

30 Minutes later, they dug into the pizza. Remy's pizza was topped with extra cheese and Warren had added canned pineapple to his. Warren cursed as some cheesy strings ended up in his face instead of his mouth. When getting the groceries he'd remembered just in time that pizza was Remy's favorite food. "Tomorrow, you cook!"

"Moi? Cook?" Remy quipped and laughed brilliantly, remembering his chocolate fantasy about Warren. "What's de oder movie 'bout? More mummies?"

Warren pushed the tape inside and hit play. "Okay, this one will probably be lost on us but… I always wanted to see what the fuss was about."

His curiosity piqued, Remy kept a close eye on the screen, but distinctly noticed Warren struggling with another cheesy string. He felt incredibly giddy and contended, though he wasn't quite sure why. Maybe it was the relaxed mood.

Warren finished his pizza and announced, "We're going to watch Titanic!"

Remy pretended annoyance. "Titanic? Ain' dat a little too romantic?" He put Warren's and his plate on the coffee table and grabbed the pillow Warren had thrown at him. He felt so relaxed, so safe that he didn't realize what he's doing until he heard Warren's surprised intake of breath.

Warren looked down at the Cajun, whose head now rested on the pillow, which was on Warren's lap. "Getting comfortable for the movie?"

Slightly embarrassed, Remy realized that was lying down. When had that happened?

"Stay put, Rem." Warren kept Remy from getting to his feet and pulled up the quilt, which he'd thrown on the floor earlier. "Let's make sure we stay warm." After covering Remy's body with it, his hands tangled in the auburn hair and he rubbed Remy's back. "How's the side?"

"Bien," Remy whispered very softly. He quavered at Warren's touch. " Are you 'kay wid dis?" Remy asked hesitantly, remembering Warren's reluctance to touch him.

"I'm fine…" Warren fingered a silk lock. "Now shut up, movie is about to start!"

Remy smiled, drew in a deep breath and wished that this moment would never end!

///

Worried, Warren addressed his love. "Rem?" He'd completely forgotten that one of the main characters in the movies died in the freezing water. Remy shivered underneath his fingertips and Warren tried to peek at the red on black eyes. Warren blamed himself for choosing this movie. It was obviously bringing back bad memories and upsetting the Cajun. Saying, "The movie has a happy ending," was all Warren could think of.

"It's just…" Remy hesitated… "I remember de cold."

"I'm so sorry," Warren offered sincerely. I wish I'd returned to get you out of there. The guilt would never leave him. He pulled Remy close and placed a kiss on the locks. "You survived."

Remy didn't reply, intrigued by the sudden twist in the movie when they returned to the present and showed Rose as an old woman. "Happy end?" he asked hopefully.

"Yeah, just watch." Saddened by his own failure back in Antarctica Warren wondered how Remy would react when the Cajun remembered Warren's part in the trial.

They remained quiet for a few minutes, simply enjoying the end of the movie. Remy relaxed, realizing the movie had a happy end indeed. "Good movie…"

"Yeah, I understand now what the fuss was about," Warren whispered, checking the time, 22.00. "Want to turn in early, Rem? We could use some extra sleep." It'd been such a relaxed evening that hopefully all nightmares had been chased away.

"I'm not sure I can sleep yet." Remy struggled back into a sitting position.

"Okay…" Warren said tentatively and got Remy's meds. "Here, take them." As he watched Remy swallow the meds, Warren wondered what would make this evening truly perfect. Remy's questioning look made him think harder. "Go upstairs and change into warm clothes; boots, coat, sweater…"

"We're goin' outside?" Remy's brow grew furrowed. " I t'ought you wanted to keep me locked up here?"

"Is your side bothering you?" Warren inquired, just to make sure that he could proceed with his plan.

"Side's just bien," Remy replied mystified. The enforced rest really helped.

"Get changed…" Warren dragged Remy upstairs, shooed him into his bedroom and then headed for his own room, where his clothes were.

"Why?" Remy called out from his room. Quickly, Remy looked outside of the window. It looked like it was near freezing point, so he decided to add another sweater and put on a second pair of socks before slipping into his boots. "What are you up to?" Not knowing what would happen thrilled Remy. He trusted Warren completely and judging by his love's eyes, Warren was up to something unexpected!

Warren strolled into Remy's room, checking his love's clothing. "Are you sure you won't be cold?"

"I'm sure… now tell me!" Remy nearly exploded with curiosity.

"In a moment, Rem," Warren said, refusing to give in just yet. Color had returned to Remy's face and Warren loved seeing the sparkle in those eyes. "Let's go outside then."

Remy followed Warren, puzzled and curious. "We goin' for a walk, ange?" He felt strong enough for that, but hoped that it wouldn't last longer than an hour max. The last thing he wanted was to pass out during a walk.

Warren opened the door and gestured Remy to step outside as well. He locked the door and smiled at his love. "Come here, Rem."

Moving hesitantly, Remy walked up to Warren, uncertain what to expect. "It's cold."

"It's going to get even colder," Warren warned Remy. "Get behind me," he instructed and spread his wings. He'd almost forgotten the thrill of feeling air moving through his feathers. It'd been a while since he'd flown… the sniper had injured his back and wing, but the wound had healed and he felt strong again.

Puzzled, Remy did as he was told and settled down between the magnificent white wings.

"Put your arms around my waist," Warren said gently and quickly claimed Remy's hands as they clasped in front of him.

Remy was lost, staring at the soft feathers, the strong wings. He'd seen Warren in flight, taking out opponents or flying for the mere joy of it. He was about to ask what this was about as Warren's wings stirred to life.

"Hold on, love," Warren quipped as their feet lost contact with the ground. "I hope you want to go flying with me, Rem…"

Choked up, Remy could only nod his head in Warren's neck. He tightly held on to the body in front of him.

After they'd reached a comfortable height Warren manoeuvred them in a horizontal position, so Remy rested against his back. Warren was scared to ask whether Remy was okay with this.

Remy however, was completely lost in this unexpected sensation. White feathers surrounded him, keeping him close, taking him higher and making him feel safe. He didn't look down, as those white feathers continued to fascinate him. Curiously, his hands moved over the bone that sprung from Warren's back. This was a dream come true. He'd never told anyone, not even Stormy, but he'd loved to fly and he'd always dreamed that an angel would take him to the heavens.

"Rem?" Warren whispered quietly, approaching a small lake. "I'm not scaring you, am I?" Maybe he should have asked if Remy had wanted to go flying with him in the first place.

"Lovin' it," Remy mumbled, fascinated by the perpetual movement of the wings, carrying them further. "It's always been one of my secret fantasies…" Tenderly, he nuzzled Warren's neck, pressed his lips against the blue skin. "Merci, ange."

Swallowing hard, Warren tried to think up an answer. But the moment was too perfect in time to spoil wiith words. He concentrated on the Cajun, resting on his back and Warren caressed the cold hands around his waist. "Do you want to go back or…?"

"Keep flyin'? Just a little longer?" Remy requested softly. He cocked his head and rested it on Warren's back, losing himself as he stared at the wings.

///

Fifteen minutes later, Warren returned to the house. Remy's steady breathing assured him that the Cajun was almost asleep. He landed gently, turned around and lifted his love in his arms. After tucking his wings away, Warren unlocked the door and carried his precious load upstairs. But this time Warren didn't plan on sleeping separately. He wanted to hold Remy in his sleep.

"Ange?" Sleepy eyes opened and focused on his angel. "I'm sorry… mais I'm tired."

"You still need a lot of rest. Let me get you in some sweats and then we'll turn in."

"You'll stay de night?" A pleading hand rose to Warren's face. "Please stay."

"I will," Warren promised and slowly peeled all layers of clothing off Remy's body. A little relieved, Warren noticed that the Cajun's skin felt warm and not cold. "I'm going to tuck you in, love… I'll join you in a sec."

Remy was already asleep, contentedly dozing in bed. Warren pulled up the covers and then slipped into some sweats himself. He went downstairs to make sure that the door was locked, the TV switched off and then he opened his laptop. Pleased, he noticed that Jean-Luc had written back. "I'll tell Remy in the morning…" Warren remembered Remy's words, clearly stating that the Cajun didn't expect Jean-Luc to reply. Smiling, Warren returned to their bedroom and studied Remy's face, lost in sleep. "Maybe I should always take you flying before turning in. It works even better than those sleeping meds, which… damn! I forget about them!"

But Remy was peacefully asleep and Warren couldn't bring himself to wake his love. Instead, he slipped under the covers and gathered Remy in his arms. The Cajun immediately snuggled up to him. They settled into the same position as last night, facing each other, holding the other close. Warren pushed a stray lock out of Remy's face and placed one surprisingly gentle kiss on the Cajun's brow. "Have some sweet dreams, Rem." Briefly, he startled as Remy moaned, but then he realized what had happened, feeling his lover's hard-on pressed against his thigh.

A smile curled Warren's lips. "You better be dreaming of me, Rem." And no, he wouldn't mind having an erotic dream featuring Remy. "Maybe I'll get lucky," Warren whispered into Remy's ear. He closed his eyes and followed his love into the world of dreams.

///

"Uh… what? Rem?" Warren's eyes flashed open, alarmed by the frantic movement against his chest. Remy was kicking, trying to free himself of the embrace. Warren let go at once, determined not to add to Remy's panic.

Remy didn't know when the nightmare had started or what had caused it. He only knew that he was back in the Morlock tunnels, witnessing a truly horrific scene. The Marauders moved in, but this time the Morlocks weren't the target. It was Warren.

"Non!" Remy screamed petrified. How had they ever managed to get Warren shackled to the wall and why were his wings so… lifeless…damaged… bruised. "Non, don'!" Remy screamed as Harpoon moved in closer. "Leave him 'lone!"

"Rem?" Completely awake, Warren tried to think of a plan of action. "Remy, wake up. It's another nightmare!" Damn, he'd so hoped Remy could have one peaceful night. "Rem! Wake up!" This time his tone was more forceful and he gently shook Remy's shoulders. "Please, Rem."

Finally, the voice, the words registered and Remy's eyes opened. Terrified, he stared at Warren, still hearing the pain filled moans, knowing with certainty that the Marauders had hurt Warren's wings badly. "Merde!" Remy cursed, clutching his head between his hands. Warren's skin hadn't been blue in his nightmare! Another image flashes in Remy's mind. This time Warren's face was contorted with hate and anger and his wings were made of steel, releasing knife like objects from his wings. The blue eyes were bereft of all human compassion and flashed with darkness.

"Rem," Warren tried to reach Remy again. "It's only a nightmare. Please talk to me!" Warren wasn't sure how much more he could take. The nightmares only seemed to gain in intensity instead of growing less.

"Dey took your wings?" Remy asked bewildered, scared to hear the answer. "Harpoon, Arclight… Blockbuster…" Suddenly, the Marauders felt very close again. Panicking, he tried to crawl out of bed. "I put dem togeder, created dat team… and dey did dat to you? I did dat to you? I?"

A terrible pang of guilt flowed from the red eyes and Warren drew in a deep breath, recomposing himself. Warren had mentally prepared himself to deal with this moment, with the memories… with Remy's sense of guilt. In a calm tone he said, "Yes, they injured my wings, Rem."

"I'm sorry, so sorry," Remy whispered over and over again. "So sorry…"

"Remy." Warren reached out carefully, slowly moving closer to his love. "The Marauders did that, not you. Never you. Please look at me." His heart beat frantically, hoping Remy trusted him enough to do this. "Look at me, love."

Remy looked up, drawn closer because of the tone that mirrored so much love.

"Listen closely. The Marauders injured my wings, yes. You had no part in that. A supposed friend of mine ordered them amputated and… Shit." Remy froze in his arms. "You didn't remember that yet?"

"I saw you wid metal wings." Remy said in an emotionless tone.

"That happened after I lost my wings. Do you remember me telling you about Apocalypse when we were stuck in the cathedral?" Taking Remy's nod as a yes, he continued, "Apocalypse messed with my mind and I ended up working for him. He made me into of his instruments."

"Deat'," Remy whispered, voice bereft of emotion. "De metal wings."

"Yes." The fact that Remy had calmed down a little, reassured Warren that the Cajun was listening. "I still have nightmares about that time as well. But please believe me, Remy. You carry no blame. Don't feel guilty. Please. I can't look into your eyes, knowing you blame yourself. I want to look into your eyes and only see love."

Remy stared into his blue orbs and noticed the determination in them. "You don' blame me?" Remy asked hesitantly, doubt and hope fighting in his mind.

"I blame the Marauders. I blame Hodge. I don't blame you." Warren released a strangled breath as some of the panic lessened in Remy's eyes. "Let me guide you through this, Rem. You still don't remember everything." He refused to let guilt rule his love's life. "It wasn't your fault, Remy. You're not to blame," Warren whispered gently. "Come here…" and he pulled Remy back into his arms. "I love you. I don’t hate you. I don't blame you. I love you, Rem. Love you…"

Remy relaxed under the reassurance. "You were in so much pain… in my dream…" he clarified. "I can' bear it to see you in pain."

Warren smiled. "And I don't want you to be in pain either, so let go of that guilt, Remy. You're not to blame for what they did." Then he wickedly resorted to the one thing that seemed to reassure Remy best. "I love you," Warren whispered and brushed soft lips. "Love you, Remy. I love you."

"You're a romantic…" Remy whispered at a loss, relishing the feel of Warren's fingers moving through his hair, over his back. Lips gently brushed his, instigating a tender kiss. Involuntarily, his hands attempted to slip underneath Warren's sweats.

"You're on forbidden turf, Cajun," Warren admonished Remy, wanting nothing more than let Remy touch his bare skin, but not now. Not under these circumstances. Not while Remy was still hurting.

A hesitant smile surfaced on Remy's face as Warren twined their fingers tightly. He rested his head against Warren's chest, sensing the heartbeat underneath the sweats. "Say it 'gain?"

And Warren knew what Remy was asking, wanting nothing more in the world than to give it to him. "I love you, Remy. Love you."

"Je t'aime," Remy whispered, settling back in to the embrace. Warren had done a great job. Remy was actually considering that he'd overreacted. Maybe Warren was right and Remy wasn't to blame for the loss of those majestic wings. Maybe if his love told him as many times as he needed to hear it, he would believe it.

It was the most amazing thing, but Warren understood instinctively. "You're not to blame, Rem. I love you…" and he whispered the words until Remy dozed off again. "You are not to blame," Warren said again once Remy was asleep. "You're not." Hopefully Remy would stop tormenting himself. Warren had hoped that he would be there once Remy's memory surfaced, so he could take the sting away from them, reassuring Remy, giving the guilt no chance to flourish. Listening to Remy's breathing, Warren calmed down, centering himself. He knew the worst was still to come…

///

Moscow

"Ya know where to find the bastard?" Logan stared out of the window. It was snowing outside and a cold wind blew fiercely.

Jean-Luc got up from the bed after taking a short nap. He hadn't slept this well in years. 48 Hours ago he'd officially resigned as patriarch, handing his power over to Marceaux. A gigantic burden had been lifted from his shoulders and for the first time in 80 years he felt free. "I think so. But we have to move carefully. Mattie sent him a message, telling him that I want to speak to him. We could be walking into a trap." Jean-Luc came to a stand still behind Logan and wrapped a casual arm around the Canadian's waist. "Did I already tell you how much I appreciate it dat you came along?" Jean-Luc still struggled with the growing closeness, an emotional closeness he hadn't felt for decades. Maybe this was the first time ever that he really felt it. I'm too old for dis.

"I'm not lettin' ya do this on yer own." Logan leaned back into the embrace, realizing that they needed to discuss their relationship in depth later.

"We've got to leave now or we will be late," Jean-Luc informed Logan. "And please… let me do de talking should we find him."

Logan's claws popped out. "I don't plan on doin' much talkin'."

"That's my point exactly," Jean-Luc sighed, but understood Logan only too well. He grabbed his coat and opened the door. "I want answers…"

Logan gave him a dark grin. "I just want his guts…"

Jean-Luc wasn't sure whether to laugh or to take the remark seriously, but he did feel a lot more confident confronting the old sorcerer with Logan at his side.

The door slammed shut and unknown to them a shadow freed itself from the walls, fleeing the room through a window…

///

Ireland

The gentle tapping of rain against their window woke Remy from a surprisingly peaceful sleep. Remy shivered as he remembered the nightmares, but the echo of Warren's words reassured him and drove the shadows of doubt away. 'Love you, Rem. I love you.' Those were the most beautiful words he had ever heard spoken in that tone. Only Jean-Luc's words came close.

He kept his eyes shut, trying to lock out reality, unwilling to return to a world filled with pained memories. But in the end, Remy lost and reluctantly opened his eyes, feeling Warren's warm body close to him. But then his breath caught. During his sleep, Warren had covered them with his wings. Feathers hovered all around him, touching his skin and Warren's fingers were still tightly twined with his. "Mon Dieu," Remy whispered taken aback. "To 'wake in de arms of an ange…" was something that blew his mind away. Had he ever felt this safe, this cherished before?

Never.

Exploratory, Remy slightly cocked his head so his cheek brushed the soft feathers. Only a few hours ago those wings had taken him high into the sky. Breathlessly, he snuggled closer, as close as he could get to those wings, to the man in his arms.

The movement woke Warren, who slowly opened his eyes. Briefly, he was scared that Remy was having another nightmare, but as he noticed the stunned grin on the Cajun's face, Warren relaxed. It looked like he'd finally found a way to shut Remy up efficiently. He should have realized his advantage a long time ago.

"Did you sleep well?" Remy inquired softly, wondering what the hell he was supposed to do to make his hard-on go away. Damn Warren for wanting to take this slow! Remy had needs, sexual needs and Warren was determined to make him beg! Well, maybe he could persuade Warren to loosen up a bit. The sexual tension was killing him!

"Remy, we talked about this earlier," Warren admonished him as Remy rubbed his body against Warren's thigh. All thoughts of discussing the nightmares and taking things slow fled, as a thief's agile fingers sneaked closer to his waistband. Warren had a morning erection as well, but he was damned if he let Remy do this! "Not yet, love."

"Please?" Remy whispered sensually, but groaned in disappointment as Warren slapped his hand away. How could he explain to Warren that he was okay with taking the next step? Maybe he just needed to speak the words aloud, to reassure his lover? "Can we…. You know… like take de next step? I want to touch you… I'll behave," Remy promised, trying to look as dedicated as he could. "I'll respect your wishes…"

Warren was tempted, sorely tempted, but felt uncomfortable. It was too early… but perhaps they could compromise? "Why don't you touch yourself for me? I've got this feeling I might come from just watching you…" Nervously, Warren stared into Remy's eyes, which shone mischievously. Yeah, maybe this would work. This way Remy was in charge of their actions.

"Touch myself? You want me to touch myself for you? Are you goin' to do de same t'ing for me?" Remy asked wickedly. Oh, how cute! Warren actually blushed crimson red! "I'll do it if you do it!" Remy announced fiercely. "Or we'll bod be stuck wid blue balls!"

"I can't argue that," Warren grumbled thoughtfully. Hopefully, he hadn't made the wrong decision. "Do you want to go first?"

Remy chuckled, feeling incredibly giddy and excited. This reminded him of being a teenager… the insecurity… the curiosity… first touches. "I trust you," he admitted in a light tone and it was the truth. "You'll never hurt me."

"Never," Warren groaned his reassurance. He watched closely as Remy's hands slipped down the sweat pants to release his throbbing erection from its confines. "What the hell are we doing?" Warren whispered, suddenly terrified at taking this step towards more intimacy.

"Cher," Remy whispered, understanding the doubt and hesitance Warren felt. He'd known for years that he was attracted to men, but he understood nonetheless. He remembered showing his vulnerability to his first lover… only that lover had dumped him a few days later. It was the story of his life, but Warren was different. Warren wanted, needed, loved him for the right reasons. Only now Remy allowed that truth in. With Warren things would be different. And that was why he could take the lead, could guide Warren through this. "Cher, don' t'ink, just feel…"

Warren quavered and a delightful moan of passion fled the Cajun's lips, as Remy stroked himself, slowly, tightly. Swallowing hard, Warren's eyes widened in stunned disbelief. Every time he thought he'd figured Remy out, the Cajun proved him wrong again. "Are you okay with this?" God, he didn't want to pressure Remy. But it was the most erotic scene he'd ever seen.

"I want dis," Remy whispered sensually, "need dis, will show you." The words came slowly, as he focused on Warren's big blue eyes. Fisting himself, Remy wantonly flaunted his want, proving his desire. "It'd be easier if I could touch you," Remy whispered pleadingly.

"No way!" Warren stated determinedly and suddenly realized that his own hands had slipped passed his waistband. Damn, he was hard, already dripping pre-ejaculate and he knew he could come without touching himself. Just looking at Remy made him come. "Pinch your nipple for me?" Warren whispered and then bit his lip. He'd never wanted to speak the words aloud!

"Mais oui, cher… for you I'd do everyt'ing," Remy whispered naughtily and indulged his lover. Warren's whimper went straight to his groin. "T'row back your head for me? Would love to see dat…" Remy whispered. His hand was slick with pre-ejaculate and he was dying to touch Warren, to bring him to orgasm, to do this for his love. But Warren wouldn't let him and Remy had to accept that.

Warren quivered, as orgasm built, ecstasy dripping into his bones and he threw back his head.

"Spread your wings? I love dose wings," Remy pleaded, stroking himself harder.

Warren spread his wings, moved them closer to Remy until the feathers touched the Cajun. Warren's brow now rested against Remy's, and both panted because of the unexpected experience. "One day I'll take you up into the sky and we'll make love there," Warren promised in blind passion, as his hand tightened around his pulsing cock. "Not yet…" He didn't want to come yet, but his hand slipped away as white cream erupted from the tip of his cock.

Remy licked his lips. "You needed dat bad!" he teased and surrendered to his own ecstasy while staring into Warren's blue eyes. He realized how special this moment was. He was doing this for himself and for Warren, but there was no pressure. It was strange, indulging himself for the mere pleasure of it. He wasn't doing this to make a lover stay, not doing this because someone had forced him to do it. Non, he did it because he wanted to do it, because Warren was comfortable with this, participating in it. And even more importantly, Warren allowed him to take the lead. It was amazing.

Warren grinned, looking down at the mess they'd made. Creamy come already stuck to the bed sheets. "Wow," he moaned and kissed Remy. "I could get used to doing this every morning."

"Only in de morning?" Remy quipped amused and then returned the kiss, slowly and passionately, wrapping an arm around Warren's waist, absentmindedly stroking the feathers underneath his fingertips.

"One of us has to clean up here," Warren sighed, feeling terribly relaxed now that most of the sexual tension was gone. Remy looked equally pleased. Okay, maybe this hadn't according to plan, but they'd both needed the sexual release. "And the other can fix breakfast."

Remy provocatively licked his lips. "You can deal wid de mess here… I'm startin' breakfast."

Before Warren could object, the Cajun had jumped out of bed. Remy quickly disappeared into the bathroom to clean himself up and then moved downstairs, softly humming to himself.

"Shit!" Warren cursed, pretending annoyance. "He's already bossing me around!"

In the kitchen, Remy smiled catching that last remark. "You got no idea de trouble you're in, ange!"

Seated at the breakfast table, they gave each other warm looks and every so often their hands touched when reaching for the butter, toast, or coffee. Warren enjoyed the little game, but decided that a little payback was in order. Remy had completely surprised him earlier this morning and Warren was still afraid that he was rushing things. He needed to slow down! But it was easier to think rationally now that his erection no longer tormented him.

"Don' worry, ange," Remy said, finally calm enough to speak without grinning manically. "I know you're scared to hurt me, mais… I feel safe wid you."

"Remy, I'm just concerned that… I don't want our relationship to be about sex."

"In case you hadn' noticed," Remy grinned wickedly, "if it were 'bout sex we would have jumped each oder dat first night."

Yeah, the manic grin was back and Warren sighed. "Okay, in that case I might be willing to tell you that you've got mail. Last night I noticed that Jean-Luc…" Amused, he watched Remy leave the table in a hurry to pick up the laptop. "You could finish breakfast with me first!" he said, pretending to be hurt by the sudden lack of interest on his lover's part. But he was overjoyed to see the fire in those red eyes as Remy accessed Jean-Luc's message.

Eyes unable to detach from the screen, Remy devoured the message. "He wrote back!" In disbelief, he read the message… Poppa had written back!!!!

> -----Original Message-----

> From: J.LeBeau@NewOrleans.com

> Sent: Friday 12 January 2000 22:37

> To: WWorthington@Enterprises.com

> Subject: Bonjour petite

Remy,

It's good to hear from you this soon! The house feels empty without you and tante is giving me hell for not keeping you locked up in your room until she arrived. She sends you her love, petite.

> Dearest poppa… we arrived safely. So far I've only seen the inside of the house. Warren is really overly protective, like you are.

Well, we can't help it, petite. You'll have to get used to us being that protective...

> Last night I had a terrible nightmare about… him. Will he ever stop haunting me?

He will. This thief promises you that it will end, Remy. It will.

> Poppa… I feel lost… but I have Warren and he's really supportive. Held me through the night and even called me love!

That's good to hear, son. You need someone close... Wish it had been me. Failed you again, my son. Mais, I am certain that Warren loves you and together the two of you will find a way to work through this.

> This morning we even kissed… after I freaked out. Warren went to get some groceries and I thought he had left me again. I was so stupid…

Non, not stupid, Remy! After all you've been through it's a very normal reaction. You need time to accept that Warren's there to stay.

> But… he still doesn't like touching me, poppa. I think it's the scars. Warren probably thinks about what the Antiquary did when touching me… It's strange though.

I doubt your observation is correct, Remy. The scars are only ugly in your mind, not his. And oui, maybe Warren sometimes thinks about the Antiquary... God help me, but so do I. I think about the pain he inflicted on you, but Warren won't blame you for those scars. Give Warren a little time to get used to being in love with a man, being in love with you, my son.

> I don't understand this. He hasn't even addressed having sex. Is that because he hates the scars? Why else? I know that you tried to explain to me that sex and love are two different things, but I still don't get it.

Give yourself time to understand, Remy. I approve of the fact that he's maintaining this distance. You always wanted to have sex for the wrong reasons, petite. Work on the relationship first...

> Sorry to bother you about this, poppa,

You won't ever bother me, Remy. You can always talk to me, always!

> but you're the only one who understands. I know that you're too busy to answer this message… That's okay. I just want you to know that I love you and am thinking about you.

I made time to answer this message and I'm going to make time to answer ALL your messages, Remy. Give this old thief a chance to make it up to you for past mistakes. Please don't take too long before replying, my son.

> Your son, Remy.

Your père, Jean-Luc.

The message left Remy stunned. Poppa had replied? Jean-Luc had made time to answer his message? That had never happened before! Why now? What had changed? What was Jean-Luc not telling him?

"Rem? Is it bad news?" Warren got to his feet and sat on his heels next to Remy. "You're scaring me here…" But as Remy's eyes finally met his, they were filled with laughter and relief.

"I can' believe dis," Remy whispered. Seeing disbelief in Warren's eyes Remy felt the need to explain. "Guild always comes first. Takes up all his time…"

"Maybe that changed? I take it then that it's good news?" Warren intertwined the fingers of their left hands and smiled warmly. "Are you going to write him back?"

"Oui, later… I need to think 'bout some stuff first… Poppa advised me not to… seduce you," and he wiggled an eyebrow, "into havin' sex. 'Bout what happened earlier…" Remy was about to apologize when Warren shook his head.

"That was hot, Remy and it was sweet. But it was sweet because you wanted to do that. We were both comfortable with taking that step, not pushing the other."

"Hot?" Remy quipped amused. "I wonder what you'll say when I tell you 'bout my fantasy."

"Fantasy?" Warren smiled warmly.

"Oui, and it involves a lot of chocolate and maybe even whipped cream!"

"Crazy Cajun!" Warren exclaimed and brushed Remy's lips. "You better take a shower. I also need to check on your wound. Maybe we can go for a short walk later?"

"I'd love dat," Remy agreed and let his hair fall in front of his face to hide his wicked grin. "Mais first I'm goin' to shower… you made a mess of me dis mornin'!"

Warren blushed, knowing it was the reaction Remy aimed for. "Bad Cajun," he countered, but the reply lacked real conviction. "I'll do the dishes and after you're done in the bathroom, I'm going to take a shower as well!"

"Or come and take dat shower wid me?" Remy offered quickly, giving Warren his most enchanting smile. He'd already forgotten about his promise not to seduce his new lover…

"Bad Cajun!" Warren quipped again and slapped Remy's butt as his lover got to his feet. "Don't tempt me! It's bad enough you got your wicked way with me this morning!"

"You didn' even touch me," Remy complained, but suddenly he realized what Warren was doing. Taking it one step at a time. The scars didn't disgust Warren. Warren wanted to make love to him and was more than willing to prove to Remy that it wasn't the most important thing in a relationship. Maybe, he should stop pushing Warren. Non, too much fun! And maybe, in the back of his mind he wanted Warren to prove he was for real first. With a smile, Remy left the kitchen and headed upstairs for the bathroom.

"And I'm stuck with cleaning up after him again!" Warren chuckled and shook his head, only now realizing he was in trouble… big trouble!

///

Moscow

"Ya sure this is the right place?" Logan studied the deserted building. It still possessed the former glory of old Russia.

"He's here," Jean-Luc assured Logan. The hair at the back of his neck stood rigid. "We have to be careful when going inside. Remember what I told you. De Antiquary can create illusions, which are hard to tell from de real thing. Stay close."

Logan eyed Jean-Luc questioningly. "What? Ya think I need a babysitter? Have been doin' this for decades!"

"So have I!" Jean-Luc countered and caught the approval in Logan's eyes. "Dis time, you listen to me!"

A low growl escaped Logan's throat. "Only this time… and there will be payback in the bedroom later."

"Get your mind out of de gutter, cher!" Jean-Luc shook his head and dropped to his knees to pick the lock.

"Don't bother." Logan released one claw and stuck it into the lock, then sliced right through it.

Annoyed, Jean-Luc looked up. "Finesse, mon ami! You lack finesse!"

"Brute force works too." Logan shrugged his shoulders and pushed the door ajar. "Whadda ya think, super brain. Is it safe to go inside?"

"Super brain?" Jean-Luc repeated. "Is dat all you can come up with?"

"Lemme think 'bout it," Logan replied softly and then set a first step inside. "No real scents…" He didn't like this one bit and the rest of his claws popped out, ready for battle.

"Logan," Jean-Luc admonished him and followed his lover inside. The hall was empty. "Dat way," his instincts told him.

"'Kay." Logan tried hard to pick up on anything that could tell him what was going on. "I don't like this…"

"I warned you." Jean-Luc looked up. The glass-stained windows created an eerie red reflection on the wall and suddenly a shadow fled the room. "He knows we're here." A long time ago, Stephen Strange had taught him how to distinguish magic from old tricks. This involved magic, real magic. Powerful magic.

Unexpectedly, two man-sized lions jumped forward, paws spread, ready to break their necks.

"They ain' real, bub," Logan said unimpressed. "They don't have a smell."

"Illusions," Jean-Luc quickly confirmed. "He's slipping." Now that they'd seen through the magic trick, the lions disappeared into thin air. "I want to talk to you, Antiquary."

Logan wanted to berate the man for betraying their location, but a sharp voice stopped him in his tracks.

"Why? You banished me a long time ago. What do you want, Jean-Luc LeBeau?"

A figure, clad in blue-green robes appeared on top of the flight of stairs, face hidden behind a hood. Logan tried to catch the man's scent, to store it in his memory, but was shocked to find none. Another illusion?

"You owe me some answers! You set me up that night 24 years ago! Why did you order me to steal a baby?" Although Jean-Luc was determined not to lose control, he was on the brink of crumbling now that he finally faced the man who'd hurt his son that badly.

Logan put a calming hand on his shoulder. "Thought ya wanted to talk to him?"

"Why Remy?" Jean-Luc questioned in a calmer tone, but it was a tone that could cut through steel.

"You fool! You don't know the true extent of his powers!" the Antiquary whispered venomously.

"Ya fear him…" Logan realized. "Ya were 'fraid he might become too strong to control, so ya wanted to break him as a child. Ya bastard!" He was dying to bury his claws in the Antiquary's chest. Maybe even twist them around a little to add to the man's agony.

"Dis makes no sense," Jean-Luc remarked absentmindedly. "If you'd stayed away from Remy, he'd never have known you existed."

"You don't know about the prophecy, thief and you don't need to know!"

"What prophecy?" Jean-Luc couldn't believe his ears. "I'm going up dere," he announced and found that Logan was behind him every step of the way. Only a few feet separated him from the Antiquary now. "What prophecy? I demand you…"

"You're not in the position to demand anything, thief!" The Antiquary moved back. "I suggest you stop threatening me, or I might punish the devil's child instead."

"Don't ya dare touch him ever 'gain!" Logan hissed in obvious disgust. "Leave the kid outta this!"

"How can I?" the Antiquary quipped. "You, Jean-Luc LeBeau started this. Leave me in peace or your son," and he spat the word in disgust, "will pay for your stupidity!"

"Bastard…" Jean-Luc hissed and no longer cared about the consequences. He had kept this anger bottled up for much too long and it needed a way out. So he lunged forward to clasp his hands around the Antiquary's throat.

Logan tried to stop Jean-Luc, to pull him back, but was too late. An all- consuming darkness swallowed them and they started to fall… falling… falling into nothingness.

///

Westchester

Scott? Can we talk? Charles Xavier, leader of the X-Men, was worried. Scott had been acting oddly lately, spending too much time in the danger room and fleeing the presence of the others. Only Jean was allowed close.

"Of course, professor," Scott whispered resigned as the professor opened the door. This was one conversation he couldn't run away from. As the chair hovered into the room, Scott returned to the bed and sat down. "I just wanted to get some sleep, sir," he apologized. "I didn't sleep that well last night."

"Talk to me," Charles urged Scott on, slightly startled by Scott's appearance. Dark circles showed from beneath ruby glasses. "Why can't you sleep?"

Absentmindedly, Scott picked up the package he still hadn't opened and played around with it to distract himself. "It's Gambit, Antarctica, Rogue leaving him there. This isn't right, sir."

"I see." Charles nodded his head. "You think you failed Gambit."

"I did!" Scott exclaimed. "I did. I should have been there too. Should have returned to Antarctica earlier. I left a team-mate out there to die. I'm team-leader. I am responsible for their safety each time we leave on a mission!"

"You're only human," Charles sighed as he rested a hand on Scott's shoulder. "Humans make mistakes. Humans aren't perfect. I make mistakes, you make them and we'll make a lot more before we die."

Scott nodded his head. "I know that, sir, but I can't help it. I feel guilty." He tossed the package onto the bed and started pacing the room, every so often peeking at Charles' eyes. "I want to organize a memorial service. That will give us a chance to say good-bye. Jean misses him and I got this feeling there are more people who'd like to pay their last respects to the Cajun."

Charles forced himself to smile. "A memorial service sounds good. It'll give you and the rest of the team the closure you need." And me too. God, he'd never realized Scott felt this deeply about Antarctica! But Scott wasn't the only one blaming himself for Gambit's death. Last night, Hank and Charles had talked for hours. Hank suffered from guilt too. The scientist struggled with the same problem; why hadn't they went back to get Remy?

"What are we going to do about Rogue?" Scott asked in a firm tone.

Charles realized Scott's intentions. "You can't be suggesting a trial!"

"Why not?" Scott's jaw was set. "I want to know what happened after the others left and she isn't going to tell us. I informed you of how she reacted to Warren's questions. She's keeping her secrets, like always."

"No trial," Charles said determinedly. "But I'll talk to her privately."

"And Joseph?" Scott sighed deeply. "They have been arguing since Warren left."

"Joseph will make his own decisions," Charles pointed out to his student. "Now, why don't you join us for dinner?" He wanted Scott to socialize, to stop brooding. "Jean and Bobby made dinner."

"I'm bad company," Scott sighed resigned. "Just give me a sec to change my clothes, shave and clean up. I'll meet you downstairs in a few minutes."

"Excellent!" Charles said pleased. Just before he turned to leave the room, he addressed Scott one more time. "The memorial service… we should do that this week. It's important that we can say good-bye."

"And Rogue? I'm not sure I want her there," Scott grumbled darkly.

"She's part of this team, Scott. They were lovers once. You can't leave her out."

Scott gave in. "Just don't let her create a scene… I'm not sure how I'll react."

"You feel betrayed," Charles realized suddenly. "Betrayed by Rogue."

"Yes, sir. I thought I could depend on her. Thought she put the team first, not her personal feelings… I should have known."

"Back to the guilt issue," Charles remarked disapprovingly. "Get cleaned up and join us for dinner," he ordered and closed the door behind him. Maybe this affected Scott more than he'd thought.

///

Scott shook his head. Dinner with the rest of the team… he wanted to be alone instead. Wanted to think about his mistakes, about the friends, loved ones and team-mates he'd lost. Remy LeBeau… true, they hadn't been the best of friends, but they'd gotten along just fine. He'd even admired the thief's skills, though he would never admit that aloud. Those skills had saved their butts a number of times and now there was an empty chair at the table. No one to play cards with… no one to harass at the pool table…

Part of him insisted that he overreacted, that this wasn't like him, but maybe this had been the final straw. Maybe he had reached his breaking point after so many deaths. This death was his fault.

His fingers once more located the package and after playing with it for several moments, he absentmindedly opened it.

///

Ireland

"It's strange…" Remy remarked, as he examined the deck of cards in his hands. Warren had suggested playing cards until the rain would stop. Then they would go for a walk. They'd been playing for two hours now. "I used to…" Remy searched for the right word, "charge and t'row dem?" Bit by bit his memories were coming back. But he still missed several memories concerning the trial.

"Yes, you're pretty good at using them," Warren confirmed and then looked worried at the remainders of Eric The Red's shackles. They had to address that trial and his part in it soon. He had decided that he wouldn't wait for the memories to return and scare Remy. He was only waiting for the right moment to tell Remy.

"You now owe me…" Remy studied the notes he'd made. "2.600.768 American dollars." A wicked grin graced Remy's face as he announced the amount of money. "You need more practise."

"You cheated," Warren countered amused, but decided to try and address a more serious matter. "When are you going to take the cuffs off?" Slowly, he pushed his chair closer to Remy's. Straddling it, Warren claimed his lover's hands and caressed the skin underneath the shackles, which felt a little tender. "They can't be comfortable."

Determinedly, Remy shook his head. "Ain' goin' to take dem off."

Warren raised a surprised eyebrow. "Care to explain that to me, Rem?" His fingers rubbed Remy's hands, kneading the tense muscles.

"Charm," Remy whispered the word, hoping it offered sufficient explanation.

Warren moved a little closer and with one hand he cupped Remy's chin in his palm, raising it. "Make me understand."

Unable to look away from those entrancing blue eyes, Remy took a deep breath. "What did poppa tell you 'bout de charm?" Remy was no fool, knowing darn well they'd discussed it.

Carefully, Warren chose his words, deciding not to mention the brainwashing the Antiquary had performed, making a child believe the charm had been responsible for being raped. Instead, he said, "Jean-Luc me that you used it to comfort your tante after one of her cousins died. That the air had been filled with the fragrance of flowers and the house with love. Now, why are you afraid of that power?"

"He didn' he tell you 'bout… de Antiquary and what de charm made him do?" Mon Dieu, Remy didn't want to explain this all over again. "You know 'bout… de nightmares."

"Remy," Warren took a deep breath and raised one of Remy's hands so his lips could tenderly brush Remy's skin. "The Antiquary didn't… hurt you because of the charm," Warren said resolved, holding onto Remy's gaze. The Cajun devoured every word. "He abused you because he wanted to break your spirit. Think about it. His actions made you so afraid of this mutant power you possess that you're terrified of ever using it!" Hopefully, he was getting through to Remy.

"I can' believe dat," Remy mumbled confused, eyes briefly avoiding his lover's.

"Rem, who came up with the name charm power?" Warren was determined to find a way to make Remy understand. "Was it the Antiquary?"

"Oui, said dat I was de devil's child and dat de charm seduces people," Remy choked out. "I tried so hard to keep it 'side, not to let it slip, mais dere were times when it did."

Warren realized that convincing Remy to let go would be hard, but he had to try. "So you learned to put up walls, defences to keep it inside?"

"Only slipped dat once wid tante… didn' care 'bout de consequences, just wanted to make her feel better." Remy's head slumped forward and he shivered as warm fingers gently caressed his face.

"Are you scared that you'll seduce me, make me hurt you, when you take them off? Is that it?" Warren ventured. At the same time his lips brushed the palm of his lover's hand.

"Oui," Remy admitted, finally losing his composure and started raving. "I don' remember… you see, I don' remember how I built dose walls, don' remember how to keep it 'side, will hurt you, will hurt me… it's safer dis way!"

"Rem…" Warren said soothingly and pulled Remy into an embrace. Remy didn't pull away and Warren tightened the hold. "I can never hurt you… I love you, remember…" As Remy didn't respond Warren continued. "So, all this time that you lived at the mansion, you kept this a secret?"

"Oui, couldn' let anyone find out." Remy rested his head on Warren's shoulder and snuggled up to him, wrapping his own arms around his lover's frame.

"Remy, I'm sorry, but I've got to ask this," Warren whispered nervously, bracing himself for Remy's reaction. "Do you remember Rogue?" It was a subject he dreaded and had tried to avoid, but Warren didn't want Remy in hysterics when the Cajun remembered her face during a nightmare.

"Rogue?" Remy lifted his head and locked eyes with Warren. A memory flashed in his mind. "Beautiful… mais wid cold eyes? White hair…?"

"Yes, that's Rogue," Warren refused to let Remy retreat, holding him tight. "Tell me what you remember about her."

Another memory surfaced. "I'm… in love wid her?" Remy said and his brow grew knitted. "She…" Then his voice faltered. He cocked his head and shivered violently. "She doesn' want me…"

"What are you remembering?" Warren pulled Remy onto his lap; ignoring the uncomfortable position they were in. Remy buried his face against his chest and Warren listened to the suddenly ragged breathing. "It's okay, Rem. You're safe and I love you."

"I'm wearing shackles… like now…" Remy explained, unable to walk away from this shattering nightmarish memory. "We're locked up? She's in my arms and… Mon Dieu… de trial… dis is before de trial started…"

"What happened?" Warren asked patiently. Following his instincts he rocked Remy slightly, having seen Jean-Luc do the same thing when Remy had been upset. He kissed the auburn hair and rested his cheek on Remy's head, which was now tucked safely under his chin.

"Our powers are gone," Remy remembered, tears building in his eyes, holding onto Warren for all the support he needed. "I asked her to make love wid me… would be our only chance… You got no idea how long it took me to work up dat much courage to ask her…" Remy flinched with remembered pain. There were too many memories, too many feelings, tangled together… a mess. He'd messed up… again.

Warren gritted his teeth, trying hard to control the sudden jealously he felt. He was jealous of Rogue who didn't deserve such a generous offer. Had she ever realized how special Remy was? How much that particular offer had meant? Remy's next words broke his heart.

"She refused… said she didn' want to have sex in captivity. Dat we would find a different way…" Remy could no longer contain the tears and they flowed freely over his face. "She didn' want me in dat way… why?" Tear-filled eyes lifted and found Warren's. "You're angry?" he suddenly realized, sensing the rage locked up in those blue eyes. Maybe confiding in Warren had been a mistake. This wasn't stuff one should share with a new lover.

Warren forced himself to calm down. She'd refused… Part of him felt relieved. "You never had sex with her?"

"Non, never. Why is dat important?" Remy pushed himself away from the confining embrace.

"It's stupid," Warren admitted and brushed Remy's brow with his lips. "I just feel that she isn't good enough for you. I'm… glad you didn't sleep with her."

Truly perplexed at this point, Remy could only stare at Warren. "What are you talking' 'bout? She loved me…" But that last statement lacked conviction. Something else clawed at his mind, another memory. Remy's voice shook with pain. "After de trial, after everyone left… left… left… she left me… left me… left…" he kept repeating the word, entranced and hurt.

Warren nodded his head. "She did. She left you there to die." Calmly, he waited for that truth to settle in. "She told us you died."

Remy remained quiet. "She left me? Why?" Why would she do that? She'd loved him, hadn't she?

"You'll have to ask her that when we return to the mansion," Warren said determinedly.

Remy tried to pull back, scramble to his feet, but Warren didn't release his hold. He was trapped. "Am not goin' back dere."

"Not now, Rem, later. Once you're healed we’re going to confront her." Warren stroked his lover's back in long, comforting strokes. "For your own sake, you'll have to face her, confront her about what happened and I'll be there with you every step of the way," he promised passionately. "Remy?" Worried, Warren cocked his head to catch Remy's glance. The red on black eyes were full of emotion. "Talk to me, love." Warren could hardly imagine the pain Remy was going through. "I'm here. You don't have to face this alone. What are you feeling?"

"Not'in'," Remy said in an emotionless tone. She'd left him, had left him there to die! "Just proves it…"

"Proves what? Apprehensively, Warren traced the outline of Remy's full lips. "Proves what, love?"

Stubbornly, Remy remained quiet.

"Proves what!" Warren pushed on in a firmer tone.

"I'm a traitor and don' deserve love… she knew dat, knew I killed de Warlocks, destroyed your wings and…"

Warren's first impulse was to react in anger! Damn! They'd been doing so well, making progress, finally trusting each other and now… "Stop it, Rem! Did you already forget the things I told you last night?"

Remy realized that he had to get away from Warren, who couldn't want him, a loser and a traitor. Warren would leave him, like Rogue had done did and he wasn't sure he could survive losing this man, his angel, again.

"Stay put, Cajun and listen to me!" Warren pulled Remy back when the Cajun tried to slip away. "Sit and listen!"

Remy flinched slightly at that tone. Here it came, the famous last words, which he'd heard too many times. 'I made a mistake… you'll find someone else… I'm not in love with you, man… enjoyed the ride… well, this is good-bye…' Warren was dumping him. "Mebbe I should just leave." But where could he go? New Orleans? Assassins were already waiting for him to show up again.

"Rem," Warren said in a remarkable soft tone, finally realizing what terrible conclusion Remy had reached. "You're no traitor. You didn't kill the Morlocks. You're not to blame for the loss of my wings. Rogue played you. Played with you like a cat plays with a mouse before going in for the kill. Please, Rem, look at me."

Remy obeyed mechanically, hardly hearing Warren's voice. Dis was too good to be true. Should have known dat I don' get dat lucky… But as he finally met Warren's eyes, Remy startled. There was no loathing, hate or condemnation in those eyes. Mon Dieu, they sparkled with love!

"Rogue doesn't deserve your love. She betrayed you. I love you, Remy. I'll always be there for you. You have no idea what I feel for you. At first I hated being attracted to a man… Listen!" Warren yelped as Remy struggled to free himself again. "Listen," he repeated much calmer. "Now I can't envision living without you. I love you, Remy LeBeau."

Remy's eyes grew big at that admission. Oui, Warren had declared his love several times, but… "You ain' dumping me?" he asked confused.

"Rogue messed you up pretty bad, love. You thought she loved you. My guess is she didn't. Rem, think about it! She can't touch bare skin. That night in the citadel, before the trial, she could touch you. Could make love to you and she passed it up? Damn, if that had been me I would have made love to you until they dragged me away." Warren sighed relieved. Remy's big eyes mirrored disbelief and hope, a stunning amount of hope. "I'd even use those shackles or a Genoshan collar if that meant making love to you, Rem." Warren panted slightly after this passionate admission. Damn, he hadn't realized himself how much he loved the Cajun until just now, how much he wanted to make love to this man.

"Tell me somet'in'?" Remy had stopped struggling several moments ago and was now holding on tightly. "Do you really love me?"

"Oh yes," Warren quipped and placed a teasing kiss on the tip of his lover's nose.

"When did you realize dat?" Remy smiled weakly. Suddenly, Rogue wasn't that important any more. Her betrayal stung, but Warren's love acted like a warm blanket, healing the frostbite she'd left behind.

"When?" Warren grinned, actually thinking this over. "I guess I realized I loved you when you took that knife, which was meant for me. When you went down." Warren's voice trembled with remembered fear. "I was so afraid of losing you, Rem. When your dad picked us up I refused to let him hold you. Ticked him off…" Pleased, he noticed that Remy's smile was getting warmer; Remy's eyes no longer betrayed panic.

"Oui, must have ticked poppa off," Remy repeated entranced. "Why did you leave me?"

"I wasn't ready to accept the truth yet. Hey, I've never been in love with a man before and certainly not with a crazy Cajun. I needed time to get to terms with it. It was the hardest thing I ever did, leaving you, but I couldn't stay."

"Why did you come back?" The questions easily rolled off Remy's lips. He'd heard the answers before, but he needed to hear them again.

"As I said before, Bobby kicked my ass and when I saw Rogue…"

"You defended me," Remy suddenly remembered.

"She maintained that you had been dead when she'd left you. I was determined to uncover her lies. She didn’t like that."

Remy sighed deeply. "She doesn' love me, does she?"

"I'm afraid not, Rem." Warren's fingers trailed up his lover's back, until they reached the back of Remy's neck where they started a gentle massage. "She's taken Joseph as her new lover," Warren whispered, dreading Remy's reaction. But the Cajun remained limp in his arms.

"I hope dey'll be happy."

"How can you say that?" Warren lowered his head so he could look into Remy's eyes.

"Now dat I've got you… she isn' 'lone eider… is good." Remy felt emotionally drained. "Are you sure you want to be wid me?" he asked hesitantly. Remy wanted to believe in Warren's love so badly!

"Yeah, I want you, Rem… for now and the rest of our lives." Warren smiled and kissed his lover's watered eyes. "I want to make you happy."

"You already do," Remy confessed. "Got to move… side hurts," he whispered and Warren immediately released him. As Remy got to his feet, he noticed that the rain had stopped. He had to get out of this house. Suddenly, he was suffocating here. "Can we go for dat walk now?"

Warren gave Remy a quizzical look. "Rem? Are you okay?"

"I need time to… deal wid dis…" Remy reassured Warren. Rogue had betrayed him… Warren loved him. It was as simple as that.

Warren realized the emotional turmoil lover was in. "What do you think, Rem? We'll walk up to that lake we saw yesterday and I'll fly you back?" The stunning smile that greeted him baffles Warren. "I take it that's a yes?"

"Just let me get my coat…" Remy was already moving, when two strong arms folded around his waist. Smiling, he looked over his shoulder. "Ange?"

"Don't you ever forget how much I love you, Rem," Warren said as he nuzzled the Cajun's skin.

Another tear escaped his eye, but this time, bliss causes it and not pain. "Je t'aime, Warren," Remy declared in turn, promising himself he'd try and make this man happy. He wanted this to work and no one would stand between them!

"Don't forget my coat," Warren reminded Remy and dropped onto the chair again. Man, that had been one of the hardest things he'd ever done, talking Remy through that and it still amazed him that he'd succeeded. "I was really scared I was going to lose him," Warren admitted in a whispering tone. Although this wasn't over yet, he now felt a lot more confident about their relationship. "He just needs to hear it a lot…"

"Hear what?" Remy stood in front of Warren, holding their coats.

Smiling, Warren rose from the chair, looked Remy in the eyes and said, " That I love you." Amused, he watched as a deep blush crawled over Remy's face.

"You say dat all de time," Remy whispered nervously.

"Because I need to get it out, Rem. I feel like I want to scream it at the mountains… maybe I'll do that on our way back." Warren helped Remy slip into the coat and buttoned it up. "Does your side still hurt?"

"It was just de awkward position," Remy said softly. "We're really goin' to fly back?"

"Yeah," Warren confirmed and took Remy's right hand. "C'mon, or it will start to rain again before we can get back."

Remy allowed Warren to pull him along, equally excited of going outside.

///

"It's beautiful up here," Warren said and looked at Remy, who sat next to him on a large rock. It'd taken them longer than expected to get here and it had grown dark around them. A full moon illuminated the sky.

"Oui, it is," Remy agreed and couldn't help noticing that their fingers were still twined. "You know… I'm startin' to believe it."

"What?"

"Dat you… you know, dat you love me," Remy said awkwardly, lowering his eyes. "Took me years to believe tante and poppa."

"And I did it in weeks?" Warren smiled warmly. "Want to kiss you," he admitted. "Can I?"

"Sure." Remy leaned in closer and kissed his lover's lips, surprised at how willingly Warren parted his teeth to let Remy's tongue slid inside. Their tongues engaged in a lazy duel and Warren pulled him closer. Remy looked up questioningly. "Why do you always ask if you can kiss me?" This really puzzled him.

This time, Warren smiled nervously. "I want your permission, Remy. I don't want you to feel pressured into doing something you're not comfortable with."

"I kinda understand dat we need to take dis slow." Remy noticed the pleased expression on Warren's face. "You're probably right 'bout dat."

"And how did you reach this insight?" Warren remarked teasingly, dropping tiny kisses on the back of Remy's hand. All his doubts had disappeared. His hesitance to touch another man had vanished. This was right. This had been meant to be.

Remy licked his lips. Seemed like this an evening for revelations. "De t'ings he… de Antiquary did to me are very close right now. Poppa helped me work t'rough dem before, mais now it feels like dey happened only weeks ago… You're right. I need time to remember dat I dealt wid dem. How I dealt wid dem, mais…" and Remy gave Warren a warning look, "Don' treat me like…"

"Like what?" However, Warren was getting the picture.

"Like I'm an invalid…." Remy whispered at last, at a loss for the right words, "Like I'm made of precious china… I won' break."

"I get the message," Warren said, hardly able to hide his approval. Remy was growing stronger, demanding Warren stopped protecting him, but how could Warren do that? He wanted to keep Remy safe, loves him too much to take changes.

"Can we fly back now?" Remy slowly got to his feet and this time, he pulled Warren along and got behind him. Remy wrapped his arms around the waist, waiting for his love to spread his wings. "I'm tired."

And he wants me to stop pampering him! Warren shook his head. Remy needed pampering, demanded to be spoiled after all the Cajun had been through. As Warren spread his wings, he drew in a deep breath. "Are you ready?" Warren inquired.

"Oui," Remy rested his head against the back of Warren's neck, waiting to feel the wind tangle in his hair when they both registered a wincing growl. "What's dat?"

"It sounds like an animal in pain," Warren cocked his head. "It's coming from over there. Want to check it out?"

"Mebbe we can help," Remy replied and reluctantly released his lover. Fingers still twined, they concentrated on the soft, pain-filled grows. "Dog?" Remy ventured as they got closer. A greyish shape was curled up next to a large rock.

"Big dog," Warren said concerned. His sharp eyes scanned the form. "Uh, Rem? It's a wolf… and he's injured. I see blood." A wolf? He hadn't even known that there were wolves running free in Ireland!

"Blood?" Remy approached slowly, giving the wolf time to register his presence. Warren walked next to him, obviously reluctant to go any further.

Sharp teeth flashed in the moonlight and the growls deepened in warning.

"Rem? I don't think he wants us to get any closer." Warren stopped in his tracks, as the wolf's eyes flashed dangerously. "You know that wounded animals are dangerous animals?"

"He needs help," Remy pointed out. "We can' leave him here." His eyes now made out the blood, but Remy also saw the way the wolf's right front leg was twisted. "We've got to help."

"Okay," Warren gave in eventually and sneaked closer. "Now, behave, boy," He said, addressing the wolf. "We just want to help." Slowly, he extended one hand, trying to examine the seriousness of the injury.

The wolf lunged forward, almost taking off Warren's hand. Warren felt Remy's arm around him, pulling him back. "Thanks," he whispered and stared at his fingers, still in place. "He won't let us near." Then, he noticed the way Remy stared at the animal. Yes, Warren understood why Remy had to help. Someone had abandoned Remy too when he'd needed help. Suddenly, an idea formed in Warren's mind.

"Remy?" Rem!" Warren whispered, recognizing the lost expression in his lover's eyes.

"Oui?"

"Do you think you can work your magic on him, like you did with your tante?" Warren studied Remy closely, seeing the shocked expression in his red on black eyes. "You know, take off the shackles and reach out to calm him? I think you can do that."

"Cher… I can'," Remy objected in a pained tone. "Don' know how to control it. Charm will break free."

"Let's agree on not calling it that any longer," Warren sat on his heels, grateful that the wolf wasn't moving to attack them. "Let's call it magic. Your magic."

"You're mad, cher," Remy shivered, speaking the words. Something the Antiquary had once said, bounced back into his mind. 'Your magic will never grow strong. Will never revel mine!' Warren couldn't be serious, couldn't ask this of him!

"Please do it, Rem. I'm here to protect you if things go wrong." Warren gently squeezed Remy's fingers. "You've got to trust me."

"If I take dem off, you will… you will…"

"I won't sexually assault you, love. The Antiquary lied. You've got to put your trust in me, in us." But Remy was obviously not yet convinced so Warren added his trump. "You want to help the wolf, don't you? He won't allow us close."

"You don't play fair, cher."

"Never said I did." Warren watched Remy's inner turmoil, reflected in those alien eyes.

Remy's head was spinning. Warren was asking him to take the shackles off! That would destroy everything they'd achieved this far! Warren would change into the Antiquary, unable to control his lust because of the charm… but a tiny voice berated Remy, telling him that Warren would never hurt him. "I trust you," Remy whispered eventually and he couldn't believe he was doing this as he extended his hands. "Take dem off."

Warren nodded his head, touched by his love's trust in him. Warren fumbled briefly, then bent the shackles and removed them.

Remy stared at the shackles and frantically picked them up, putting them in his pockets. He wanted them close in case Warren… Please mon Dieu, let him be strong enough to resist de charm. He felt it all around him, as he desperately tried to remember how to build his shields, but that knowledge was gone.

Surprised, Warren stared at his lover. Remy had changed. Something about Remy had changed the moment Warren had taken off those shackles. That hair… it's like silk… the skin, like ivory, still pale from the lack for sunlight and those eyes… Suddenly, Warren grew aware of the heavy flowery fragrance around them. It took Warren a moment to identify the fragrance. Lilacs. Warren had forgotten about the wolf, eyes focused on his lover and Warren tried to phrase what he felt, knowing it was important to Remy. "You're beautiful, love."

Remy cringed, this is what he'd been afraid of all along.

"No, don't," Warren admonished Remy, reclaiming his hand. "I don't feel the urge to jump you, Rem. It's just… you look…surreal… like an angel."

The words unleashed something inside Remy. "You don'…"

"No, I don't." Warren smiled. "The Antiquary lied."

Remy released the breath he had been holding. Warren's reaction wasn't what he'd expected. What had he expected? That Warren would jump and take him right here? A warm hand caressed his face and hesitantly Remy leaned into it.

"You smell of lilacs, Rem and…" Warren smiled and placed one gentle kiss on his lover's lips. "The wolf stopped growling."

Surprised, Remy looked at the wounded canine. It's true. "You t'ink I can…."

"Talk to him, make him feel at ease. We'll take him home and tomorrow morning we'll take him to the vet… who'll have a stroke seeing his patient." Fascinated, Warren devoured every move his lover made.

Hesitantly, Remy walked towards the wolf. "I'm goin' to help you, mon ami. We won' hurt you," and Remy kept repeating the words. Dazed, the wolf looked up at him, whimpered and then tried to rest his head between his paws.

"That's it, Rem… Can you pick him up?" Warren took a step closer too, just in case Remy needed help.

Remy lowered himself onto his heels and extended his hand so the wolf could memorize his scent. "You see, mon ami? We're here to help." As he touched the front leg another whimper escaped the animal. "Ange? I t'ink he walked into a trap."

"Here." Warren uncovered a clean handkerchief and handed it to his lover. "Wrap that around his paw. Looks like he's been laying here for quite some time. He needs food and water."

Remy tried hard to be gentle when wrapping the cloth around the injured leg. Unexpectedly, the wolf raised his head and his yellow eyes fixed on Remy. The Cajun forced himself not to back away. The wolf tried to get to his feet and surprisingly enough he managed and staggered towards Remy.

Warren could hardly believe what he was seeing, but a big smile surfaced on his face when the wolf rested his head on Remy's knee, looking up pleadingly. Whatever this 'charm', no 'magic' was, it was powerful.

"He likes me," Remy whispered in surprise, manoeuvring his hands underneath the body. It took all his strength to lift the wolf, but Remy succeeded. "He just told me."

Warren nodded his head. "I knew you could do it. Now, let's get him back to the house. Do you think he will let me carry him? You should be careful, considering your side…"

"Wolf's 'kay wid dat." Remy couldn't help it. His eyes were swimming.

Warren quickly took hold of the wolf, which wasn't that heavy. "Probably couldn't catch a prey with that leg," Warren muttered.

"Ange… help me?"

"What's wrong, love?"

"I can feel him," Remy lifted his hand and touched his brow. "I can feel him here."

Warren wasn't surprised. He'd even expected something like this to happen. "Rem? We need to get back to the house. Get behind me and hold on!" he instructed. "We'll discuss this when we get home, please, love." The frantic expression in Remy's eyes worried Warren.

As the Cajun didn't move, Warren realized he had to change tactics. Warren grinned briefly, momentarily grateful Bets was a telepath who'd taught him a couple of things. "Can you feel me too? In your mind?"

Remy's eyes almost popped out of their sockets when Remy realized he could. "Cher," he stuttered taken aback, feeling the concern, feeling the love wash over him. It drew him closer like a magnet.

"That's it, now hold on like you did last night." Relieved, Warren felt Remy's arms fold around his waist. "This will only take a few minutes." Warren looked over his shoulders and into Remy's dilated pupils. "Just concentrate on me, Rem. Focus on my thoughts…"

Reassuring thoughts drifted into his mind, calming Remy down. "I'm… holdin' on," Remy whispered, pressing himself into Warren's body as they took off. Something warm covered his mind, helping him relax. "Are you doin' dis?"

"Yes, something I learned during training…." Warren explained, conveniently forgetting to mention the fact that it'd been Bets who'd taught him to center his thoughts. "Hold on, Rem…" The wolf in his arms was still, just as still as the man holding onto him and Warren concentrated on flying, getting them home safely.

///

Westchester

"What the hell's this?" Scott carefully uncovered the letter and the attached file. It looked old, even tattered around the edges. Flipping the papers over, his eyes grew big. "A death certificate?" What was he supposed to do with that? His interest increased as he read the name of the city where the death had occurred, New Orleans? Wasn't that where Remy had been born? Nervously, Scott looked at the letter. It just had a few written words on it.

'I thought you should know this.'

That was it. The note didn't even have a name on it. "Know what? What am I supposed to know?" Scott whispered aloud. Suddenly, he realized that his heart was pounding madly. Why was he this nervous? "Okay, let's have a look at this," he said, uncomfortably. Something about this was unsettling. The next name that he read on the death certificate paralysed him. "Remy? The baby was named Remy?" Instinctively, Scott knew that this was about Gambit.

Scott stopped believing in coincidence a long time ago. Someone had sent this on purpose! "Can this be his death certificate?" His hands shook, though he wasn't sure why. Then his eyes scanned lower. "The child died 5 minutes after birth. His eyes were red on black," he read aloud. Darn, what the fuck was going on? Next, Scott located the name of the doctor who'd signed this certificate. "Nathaniel Essex?" Scott hissed the name in loathing. "Sinister delivered the baby and then declared him dead?"

Something twisted in his chest and stunned, Scott realized it was his heart. "Why would Sinister want everyone to believe that the baby died…?" he mumbled softly and then groaned. "Of course, Sinister wanted him for his own experiments!" But this still didn't make any sense. Six months ago, Remy had still been very much alive! "Sinister must have planned on abducting the baby, telling the parents the boy had died! Something upset Sinister's plans."

The diabolical scheme angered Scott, made him furious. Those poor grieving parents! No wonder Remy had never known his parents! He'd read the Cajun's file after Gambit had joined the team. It was standard procedure. They all had gone through some traumatic events and Scott couldn't take the risk of anyone freaking out because they were confronted with their worst fears. There had been a couple of times that they'd helped Ororo when they'd got stuck in small spaces. Knowing someone was claustrophobic was important!

"And why sent it to me?" Scott wondered mystified. Unable to resist temptation, he peeked at the names of Remy's parents. Maybe, he could notify them, tell them they'd had a good man for a son and offer them some consolation… a lifetime too late, but maybe it'd help. "Katherine-Ann Sum…" Scott's voice faltered. The certificate dropped onto the floor and his breathing stopped briefly. That was his mother's name… what was her name doing on this certificate?

"God…" Scott whispered upset and picked up the piece of paper again. Afraid to find out the truth he looked at the name of the father. "Christopher…" Again, his voice trailed off. "This can't be happening. Someone is trying to mess with my head! Like I don't feel guilty enough for failing him!" Why? Why do this? Why abuse a dead man's name? Remy was dead and couldn't speak up. "Oh, my God, oh, my God," was all Scott could master. Fighting his anger-- or was it pain?--, he started pacing the room. This had to be a lie! This couldn't be true! If this was true it made Remy… "My younger brother?"

Scott?

The professor and Jean's concern washed into his mind. "Not now! I want a moment alone!"

But they were already approaching, their thoughts growing closer and stronger. Why couldn't they leave him alone for just a moment? Acting on impulse, he grabbed his jacket and climbed out of the window, down the tree and then ran, mentally telling his mentor and his wife not to come after him.

We'll be here when you're ready to talk, the professor sent after his fleeing student. Confused, Charles looked up at Jean. "I don't know Scott like this."

Jean nodded her head and opened the door to their rooms. "Something upset him." The first thing that drew her attention was the file and the attached note. "This arrived yesterday," she remembered, seeing the envelop on the floor. She was concerned for her husband and couldn't look away, so she scanned the contents. Sir! she exclaimed shocked and handed him the papers.

Apprehensively, Charles read through it. "What?" he whispered confused. This was certainly unexpected. "Corsair is Remy's father?"

"According to this certificate, yes." Jean nodded her head. "Sir, do you think someone's trying to manipulate Scott?" Stunned, she stared at the names. "Can this be true?" Oh, she understood why Scott had run, why he needed to think. "Remy? His younger brother?"

"Did you see this name?" Charles pointed out Essex's name.

Curiously, she leaned in closer. "No, I didn't," she said breathlessly. "But, it would make perfect sense, wouldn't it? Sinister trying to get his hands on a Summers?"

"Oh yes, it does," Charles admitted within a heartbeat. "We need to find out the truth."

"A DNA check?" Jean proposed. "Hank should have a sample from Scott stored away and I am sure we can find something, like a hair in Remy's room. It would reveal the truth."

"Do it," Charles ordered, but gently took hold of her hand before she could leave the room. "Jean?" Hope, sadness and regret mingled in her mind.

"I…" She took a deep breath. "If this is true, Scott will never forgive himself. Failing a team-mate is inexcusable in his eyes, but failing his younger brother? It would drive him over the edge. He's lost so many people he cared for." She brushed some locks behind her ears."I don't know, sir, don't know what to hope for. I don't know if I want the DNA test to come back positive. Scott would resent himself for not having known earlier. If only Remy were still alive, still with us!"

"I'm so sorry," Charles whispered and reassuringly, he squeezed her hand. "I'll try to talk to him, be there for Scott, regardless if this is true or a lie. He needs to talk about Antarctica."

"You're right, sir," Jean mumbled absentmindedly and hurried out of the room to seek out Hank in the med lab.

///

Scott slowed down when he arrived at the lake and sank onto the ground. In a few seconds his whole world had been turned upside down. My God, what if it was true? Why would anyone falsify a death certificate? Come to think of it, why would anyone take the time to create a death certificate? Damn, his gut instinct told him this was the real thing. This was a genuine certificate and he'd left it in his room! He wanted to hold it in his hands, wanted to stare at all those names. His parents, his nemesis, and the name of a younger brother he'd never known existed! Remy… Gambit… was the Cajun his younger brother?

It would make his failure oh so more shattering. "If he's my brother, I… oh, fuck!" he'd screwed up big time! "It's just a sick joke!" Scott screamed into the evening sky. He wasn't sure he could bear it being the truth…

///

Moscow

"Where are we?" Logan tried to stop his body from spinning. Gravity was gone and it took all his cunning and expertise to steer his body in the right direction to hook up with Jean-Luc. "Got ya, Cajun," he growled low in his throat. "We acted like some stupid beginners!"

"I told you that he's dangerous," Jean-Luc said softly, trying to keep the contents of his stomach inside. This spinning made him nauseous! "We should have been careful!"

"Ya wanted to talk to him. If ya had me let do this my way I would have gutted him! But no! Ya needed to talk and then ya fly off the handle!"

Logan sounded seriously pissed off and Jean-Luc couldn't blame him. "Any idea where we are, mon ami?"

"Damn, feels like we fell through a portal and are now floating between dimensions… ya never told me he's this strong!" Logan tried to find some point of recognition, but there was only the void, grey and empty. "We're in serious trouble, Cajun!"

"We need to find de right door home," Jean-Luc mumbled absentmindedly. Something Stephen Strange had once told him bounced back into his mind. "De right door, window..."

"Do ya see a fuckin' door?" Logan grumbled frustrated. He hated being stuck like this!

"Mebbe I can…" Jean-Luc's voice drifted off. "What's dat?" An angry red light pushed the void away.

"I don't like that," Logan admitted cautiously, but couldn't deny that the red light was gaining on them. "I want to get away from it."

"We should stay put," Jean-Luc decided. "Dis doesn't feel… evil…"

"Feel? Now ya start to sound like some of my team-mates!" Inwardly debating the matter, Logan realized that he didn't really have a choice. The red light was reaching out for them, curling around their bodies, pulling them away from the grey void. "Shit," Logan whispered, feeling strangely vulnerable. He tried resisting the pull, but it wouldn't release him.

"You better not fight this," Jean-Luc advised him, trying to figure out their next move. "Let's see where dis light will take us."

They drifted a few moments longer and suddenly the gravity was back, dropping them hard on the pavement.

"Pavement?" Jean-Luc said quietly. "Got any idea where we are?"

Logan quickly scanned his surroundings. "Nope, doesn't look familiar." The sun was setting behind a dark, ominous mansion. Cocking his head, he tried to read the name carved into the stone gate. "Fire Lake?"

"Doesn't ring a bell," Jean-Luc replied frustrated. "But something, someone wants us here. We better try and talk to the owner."

"Ya sure?" Logan looked doubtfully. "I'm gettin' a lot of bad vibes," he commented, unable to label his discomfort. Maybe it was the smell of sulphur in the air and the hairs on the back of his neck rose alarmingly.

Jean-Luc beckoned Logan to start walking. "For what's worth, mon ami. I'm glad you’re here."

Logan nodded his head. He felt a lot better as well, knowing that Jean-Luc wasn't stuck here on his own. "Why are we here? Is it the Antiquary's work?"

"It's possible," Jean-Luc admitted as his hand came to rest on the doorbell. "Are you ready? We don't know what to expect."

"Until now no one attacked us… might be a good sign," Logan said hopefully. "Do ya also smell the sulphur?"

Jean-Luc looked up questioningly. "Sulphur? Non."

Ringing the doorbell, they waited, tense and ready to defend themselves. A moment later the door opened and revealed…

"What the hell?" Logan stuttered in mild shock. The… creature opposite them looked like a gargoyle, brown-orange coloured skin, wings and possessed the most probing eyes Logan had ever seen.

"He's expecting you," the creature said and gestured them to step inside.

Jean-Luc and Logan exchanged a look, uncertain if they should accept the invitation.

"I'm Isaac," the gargoyle said softly and gave them a smile filled with inexplicable regret.

"Isaac?" Jean-Luc decided to take the initiative. "Where are we? And who are you? Who's he?"

Isaac's smile grew even deeper in silent understanding. It was only logical that these humans had no idea what had happened to them. But it wasn't his task to tell them. His master would do that. "This place is called Fire Lake. He will tell you everything you need to know. Please follow me into the study."

"At least he's got manners," Logan growled softly.

Isaac grinned. "He'll join you in a moment. Please make yourself comfortable. Would you like something to drink? Coffee? Tea?"

"Beer would be nice." Logan felt tense in these unfamiliar surroundings. He'd figured out by now that Isaac wouldn't supply them with more information on him, whoever this person was.

"Coffee," Jean-Luc corrected. "We both want coffee, no beer!"

Logan shook his head in disapproval and explored the study a little. The desk was empty, no files and no paperwork. "I still don't like this."

"You've got great instincts for a human," a smooth voice whispered from behind.

Logan and Jean-Luc spun around, wondering how it was possible that the man had approached without them noticing it.

"For a human?" Jean-Luc asked curiously, as he took in the man's appearance. The long red hair almost reached the man's hips. He was at least 6 foot 7, not too muscular built, but the stranger moved with a startling grace. He wore a long dark coat, jeans and leather boots. Jean-Luc froze as he caught sight of the man's eyes. They were red…

Logan reacted to a possible threat and unsheathed his claws. "Who are ya, bub?" he said, demanding an answer.

The man walked over to the desk and sat down, eyes intensely locked on his guests. It didn't surprise him that they didn't know him. Yes, there had been times that he'd worked with X-Men, with Hank to be exact, but he'd never met Wolverine. "I brought you here because we need to talk," he said amused as Logan flaunted his claws, trying to sneak closer. "I would advice against that."

"Logan, don't." Jean-Luc placed a hand on his lover's arm, holding him back. "Your name," he stated determinedly.

"As you wish," he replied, nodding his head. "I'm Daimon Hellstorm."

///

Ireland

Worried, Warren looked over from the wolf to Remy, who sat on the couch. He didn't like the entranced look in his lover's eyes. Remy'd been like this since they'd left the lake. I can't possibly understand what he's going through. He's been afraid of his power for so long and now… I need to handle this carefully. "Rem? Do you want my help in treating the wolf's injury?" Warren still felt a little insecure about the wolf, wondering if it'd attack him, but Remy didn't even appear to hear his words. Luckily, the canine accepted his help and Warren carefully bandaged the wolf's injured paw. He then placed a bowl of water in front of the canine, which seemed to be incredibly thirsty. It was his third bowl of water. Poor animal must have been dehydrated.

"Want can we feed him? I don't have any dog food." Warren's concern increased. No matter what he said or did, Remy didn't react at all. This called for more drastic measures. "Rem?" Warren said as he stood in front of his love. "Can you hear me?" The Cajun seemed lost, lost in his mind, in his newly discovered abilities and Warren realized he needed to pull his love out of this trance. Sitting down on the coffee table, Warren took hold of Remy's hands and rubbed them. "Remy? Please talk to me," he pleaded in a firm tone. "You're scaring me here, love."

Remy wasn't sure what reached his mind first, the voice or the touch, but he managed to focus on his lover's blue eyes. "Cher?" Warren had asked him something, but what had it been?

"What's wrong?"

"I keep feelin' you, cher… in my mind… It scares me," Remy finally admitted.

"How do I feel?" Warren asked with a smile on his face. This would turn out right. He wouldn't let this overwhelm Remy. "Tell me, love."

"You feel… warm, light… your t'oughts… it's like I'm puttin' a puzzle togeder and I am still missin' some pieces," Remy tried to explain. He felt awkward, suddenly confronted with a power he'd always possessed but had never allowed free.

"You do realize what this means, Rem?" Warren warmed Remy's cold hands in his.

"He lied…" Remy whispered brokenly. "Or do you…?"

"No, I don't feel the need to jump you, love. The Antiquary lied."

Hearing those words felt liberating, but how to deal with this? How to deal with a fear he'd lived with his whole life? Never letting down his defences, --except for consoling tante, -- too scared he would end up hurt. Then, out of nowhere, Remy remembered Warren's question. "We got some steak?"

"Yeah," Warren smiled. "I planned on it being our dinner tomorrow eve though." Remy gave Warren a pleading look. "Yeah, I know he needs it more. Why don't you give me a hand?" Warren wanted to keep Remy from brooding, keep him busy. Once they'd taken care of the wolf, they'd talk.

"Sure." Remy followed Warren into the kitchen, but halfway, he got distracted by the wolf's eyes. "Mon ami… what happened to you?" He knew the wolf felt safe now, the reassurance echoed in his mind. The canine knew he was safe through this… link that had formed.

The wolf raised his head, licked Remy's hand and then collapsed into himself due to fatigue.

"Here." Warren hands Remy the plate with precious steak. "He better eat it."

Remy presented it to the wolf, whose eyes flashed. He looked up as if he was distrustful of the gesture, but as it remained poised in front of him, he hesitantly ate it.

"Someone hurt him," Remy said softly. "I see faces in his mind. A man and a small boy."

"Maybe they liked the way he looked when he was only a pup and later, when he started to grow and act like a wolf, they abandoned him?" Warren suggested thoughtfully. "People sometimes want exotic or dangerous animals as pets and when they grow older, they leave them behind because they can't cope with the animal."

"It's possible, oui," Remy admitted and smiled as the wolf devoured his meal. "You're safe here, mon ami." Remy blinked his eyes, sensing the wolf's approval. "He needs a name…" Remy remarked absentmindedly.

"What about Wolvie?" Warren wiggled an eyebrow. "You liked calling Wolverine that."

"Wolvie," Remy agreed pleased. "We'll call you Wolvie."

Warren shook his head in disbelief. It almost looked like the canine understood every word they'd said. He probably does, because of Remy. The wolf's eyes started to drop shut and Warren curled an arm around Remy's waist. "Come on, we need to talk, but first we're getting into bed. You look damn tired, love."

Remy fumbled in his pockets and uncovered the shackles. He handed them to Warren with a questioning look in his eyes. "Do I still need dem?" Fear, doubt and apprehension had been his companions for much too long. Remy couldn't dismiss them like that.

Warren shook his head. "He lied, Rem. Whatever this mutant power is it won't make people rape you." Warren wondered how many more times Remy would need to hear it, but most importantly, he had to prove his words through his actions. "Wolvie is almost asleep, Rem. We should get some rest as well." By using the word we, Warren hoped that Remy would give in easier. "I'm tired," Warren added, manipulating the Cajun a little.

"Oui, cher." Remy allowed his lover to pull him to his feet. "I ain' sure I can leave dem here," Remy said and pointed at the shackles on the coffee table. "What if you…" He left the sentence unfinished. What if you're wrong, cher?

Warren sensed the question, momentarily unsure whether he heard it in his mind or that his instincts guided him. "Then bring them along."

Remy gathered them up and carried them upstairs after looking one last time at their canine guest who was deeply asleep.

"Do you want to take a shower?" Warren inquired. To be honest, he just wanted Remy resting in bed.

"Non, I'll do dat tomorrow." Tired, Remy dropped onto the bed.

"How's your side? We have to check on it in the morning." Sinking down next to his lover, Warren embraced Remy and they fell onto the bed sideways, holding each other tightly. "You've changed," Warren mentioned absentmindedly, as he pushed back a stray lock.

"In what way?" Remy asked hesitantly.

"You're even more beautiful now and you already were stunning!" Warren enjoyed the shy smile on his love's face. "There's this… how can I phrase this?" Momentarily lost for the right words, Warren searched Remy's eyes. "It's like you posses this inner light. Like I can see your… soul on the outside and it's breathtaking."

Exhausted, Remy rested his head against Warren's shoulder. "Can we keep him? I never had a pet."

The question surprised Warren. "Wolvie? If he wants to stay he's welcome." He realized that Remy already felt attached to the wolf. "Remy? Are you awfully tired or can we talk?" Warren pulled up the blankets, ignoring the fact that they were still fully clothed. Pulling Remy closer, he tried to warm that cold body with his.

"We can talk," Remy cocked his eyes and met Warren's. "What 'bout?" It felt good to rest in his lover's arms. It made him feel safe and wanted.

"Your magic, love," Warren said tentatively, but resolved. "I want to know what it feels like. Can you only sense my emotions or my thoughts too?"

"Emotions… oui, t'oughts…. Not so sure, cher," Remy replied honestly. "Merci for pulling me t'rough. I felt awfully lost. Didn' know what to do 'bout de two of you in my head."

"What am I feeling now?" Warren softly kissed his love's brow and his hands soothingly rubbed Remy's back. He had a confession to make and it scared the hell out of Warren. But he'd made his decision. He wouldn't wait for the nightmares to reveal his betrayal. He'd tell Remy about his part in the trial.

Remy lifted one leg and rested it on Warren's hip, snuggling closer. But he always maintained eye contact. "Love," he whispered. "It's de clearest t'ing I'm gettin'. You really love me…" he paused to look inside Warren's mind, trying to label the sensations floating through him. "Concern?"

"Yes, anything else?" Warren's right hand tangled in auburn hair.

"Fear?" Remy choked out. "Why are you 'fraid, cher?" His heart missed a beat, seeing the changed expression in his love's blue eyes.

"I've got to tell you something, Rem. Please listen and let me finish?"

Remy nodded his head. "What is it, cher?" Apprehension flooded Remy's mind and it took him a moment to realize it was Warren's.

"You remember the trial," Warren started hesitantly, fearing Remy's possible reactions. He could only hope that the Cajun would find it in his heart to forgive him.

"Oui, I do… why bring it up?" Remy's tone was filled with pain and regret. The only thing that kept him sane was this warm body next to him, the warm feelings washed over him and he clung to them. "I don' want to remember Antarctica, too cold, cher."

"I was there too," Warren said, plunging into the deep and sending a little prayer up to their guardian angel, hoping he was still around, looking over them.

"You?" Funny, Remy didn't remember that detail. "What were you doin' dere, cher?"

"Eric the Red… appointed me as your defence. I'm a lawyer and…" Warren cringed, as Remy's eyes grew big. "Rem, please listen!"

But his memories were coming back. "Your wings… chained?" Eric the Red had made a mockery of his trial, a trial Remy had deserved, but it should have been a fair one!

"I accepted to defend you, Rem." Nervously, Warren licked his lips, trying to keep his eyes from watering. Damn! He'd never thought it would be this hard! "Then I learned that you worked for Sinister, were involved in the Massacre and I…" God help him, but he couldn't speak the words.

"Mais what, cher?" Remy's clung to him, not even realizing Warren was holding onto him with the same desperation. His new power told him that Warren was panicking. Warren's heart beat madly underneath his fingertips.

Warren was afraid to continue, but in order to move on, they had to face this. "After hearing about the Marauders… I refused to defend you any longer." There he'd said it! Scared, he probed Remy's eyes, which were surprisingly lucid. However, his own eyes were swimming too and tears escaped down his cheek. "I'm so sorry, Rem. I let you down… just as Eric the Red wanted."

"Dat's it?" Remy whispered, remembering Warren's tone when he'd told Eric the Red that he'd longer defend Gambit. "Dat's it? Cher? I understand. You were hurt 'cause dey took your wings… I don' blame you, cher!" Remy pressed a passionate kiss on his lover's startled lips. "I understand."

"You forgive me? Forgive me for walking out on you?" Warren cried softly. He'd been so scared to confess this to his lover. "How can you?" But the answer was in the red on black eyes and it was called love. He didn't deserve this leniency. "I didn't return to get you out of that hell-hole," Warren continued, his bitter tone aimed at himself. "We just left."

"Because Rogue told you I was dead," Remy reminded Warren. "It's bien, ange. I understand. I'd have done de same t'ing if I'd been in your place." It physically hurt to see the man he loved in so much pain. "Don' hate yourself for dis," Remy pleaded, suddenly understanding the alien emotion running through his mind. Remy swallowed hard, remembering that night when he'd been caught up in his own nightmares. Warren had soothed him back then by telling him how much he loved him. Remy drew from that experience, wrapped his arms around Warren and tucked his lover's head against his chest. "Je t'aime, ange. Je t'aime. I'll always love you. I don' blame you."

Hearing those words made Warren sob, but they also mended his heart. "Rem?" Warren looked up and stared into melancholy eyes. "I love you… I really do."

"I know dat, cher," Remy assured Warren and wrapped his body around his lover's, ignoring the sting in his side. "Ange? You have a good cry now," he said in a mischievous tone.

"I'm not a little child!" Warren countered and he was surprised to hear the amusement in his own voice. "You're so good to me."

"Moi?" Remy raised an eyebrow. "You're de only reason why I'm still sane… I felt like I was goin' to lose my mind too many times to count."

"We should change into our jammies," Warren whispered, hoping it'd draw a chuckle from his lover.

"I don' know, cher… I'm comfortable. I got de most important t'ing in my life right here…" Remy closed his eyes, focusing on the warm body in his arms. His lover… and his lover had allowed him to console him, to be there for him. It was a novel experience and Remy didn't really want to give it up, didn’t want to move, for then things would change.

Warren smiled warmly against Remy's chest. "Rem, don't ever leave me, you hear? Don't."

"I could never leave my ange," Remy replied, loving the sappy talk. He had never shared something this warm, this intense with a lover before.

A soft growl disturbed their too brief moment in heaven. Warren turned his head and couldn't help but smile. "We've got company, Rem."

"He wants to sleep here," Remy informed his love. "He feels lonely downstairs. Make him a bed in de corner? Or he'll crawl onto de bed."

"You already got me wrapped around your little finger, your highness!" Warren teased warmly. Reluctantly, he got up and put a blanket and pillow in the corner. "You can sleep there."

The wolf limped over to the pillow and settled down. His eyes were alert, scanning the room for possible danger.

"Rem?" Quickly, Warren crawled back underneath the covers, snuggling up to Remy. It felt good to be held. "I got this feeling Wolvie is a very smart wolf."

Remy agreed. "His mind feels… focused… mais den 'gain… he's de first animal I ever made contact wid. Mebbe wolves just feel like dat?" Remy craved his lover's warmth and while trying to get even closer, they ended up in a tangled mess.

Unexpectedly, feathers floated closer, descending onto them in a protective hug. "Cher," Remy whispered taken aback.

"You're safe, Rem. We are safe. Let's get some sleep."

Remy didn't argue and closed his eyes, knowing that he'd always be safe in his angel's arms.

///

Westchester

While humming a soft melody, Bobby drove back to the mansion. His date with Nicholas had been sweet, but much too short. It was a pity that his love had to work the rest of the night. A melancholy sigh left his lips. Nicholas accepted his mutant power unconditionally and Bobby hoped that this relationship would work out.

Still a little lost in thought, Bobby almost failed to see the lone form sitting near the lake. "Scott?" he mumbled surprised. It wasn't like Slim to come here in the middle of the night and Bobby couldn't help but wonder if something bad had happened. He stopped the car, got out and walked towards the lone figure. "Scott?" Yes, the ruby glasses sparkled as Scott turned his head and the moonlight hit them. "What are you doing here on your own?" Bobby's heart missed a beat, seeing the solitary tear that slipped away from underneath the glasses. "Did something happen to Jean?" It was Bobby's first thought, his primary concern. "Did someone get hurt?"

"Bobby?" Scott tried to recompose himself, but failed. "What are you doing here?"

"Coming home after my date with Nicholas," Bobby said honestly, still a little baffled that only Storm had problems with his sexual preferences. Scott had been a lot more easy-going than Bobby had ever expected. "Yeah," Bobby whispered, seeing the question on Scott's face. "We're doing okay. This might be something long term."

"I'm happy for you," Scott replied, eager to think about something else than the death certificate that had upended his life. "You're awfully quiet about him. What's he like?"

Surprised at hearing this question, Bobby sat down next to Scott. Something odd was going on here and Bobby wanted to know what had upset his friend. Okay, he could wait for Scott to address his problems. Bobby would go first. "Nicholas is 25 years old and a history student. He works in the store to earn some money so he can continue his studies."

Scott nodded his head. "Sounds like Nicholas knows what he wants out of life."

"Yeah, I suppose so." Bobby peeked at his friend. "My mutant power doesn't bother him. I told him the truth before things got serious."

Scott sat quietly. "I always hoped you'd find the right person, Bobby."

"Me being gay never bothered you?" Bobby often wondered why.

"I'm not homophobic, Bobby. Give me a little credit here. When it's love…" Scott's voice trailed off. The professor was consort to an alien, so why would it be wrong for two men to love each other?

"And Warren being in love with a man… did that surprise you?" Bobby asked hesitantly. "I must admit, I never saw that one coming."

"He surprised you too?" Scott laughed softly. "Me too, Bobby. I thought Warren was as straight as they come, but… I do hope we'll meet the guy at one point. I'm really curious to see him…" Scott stopped talking, seeing the unexpected panic in Bobby's eyes.

Bobby felt cornered. Yeah, he'd promised Warren to keep quiet, but he feared he might cave in if Scott pushed the right buttons, so he changed their topic. "Are you gonna tell me what you're doing out here?"

Privately, Scott cursed his stupidity. He didn't really want to discuss Remy, but maybe talking to Bobby was the right thing to do. "Do you remember the package you handed Jean a few days ago?"

Bobby nodded his head. "Yeah, bad news?"

"I'm not sure, Bobby," Scott whispered, wondering how much he should tell Bobby. The professor and Jean were waiting for him to talk this through, but for some reason he preferred to confide in Bobby. "I just found out that I've probably got a younger brother…"

Bobby's eyes grew big. "A younger brother?"

"Corsair never mentioned him to me, but according to the death certificate I received in the mail, the baby died 5 minutes after birth."

"He's dead? I'm sorry, man," Bobby said sincerely and rested a comforting hand on Scott's shoulder. He wasn't going to push his friend. Scott had to set the pace.

"The doctor who delivered the baby was Nathaniel Essex."

"Sinister?" Bobby gasped, "Oh, man, this is bad."

"I guess Corsair never mentioned it, because Sinister told them that the baby died."

"But the baby didn't?" Bobby took an educated guess. "Tell me, Slim, what's going on?"

"The baby survived. I guess Sinister wanted him for his own experiments and my parents never knew that their son survived after all."

Bobby leaned in a little closer, cursing the fact that he couldn't see Scott's eyes. "How do you know the baby didn't die?"

"The certificate states that the baby was born with red on black eyes…" Scott hadn't finished yet, but Bobby's surprised yelp stopped him. "Yeah, how many people are born with red on black eyes?"

"Gambit?" Bobby trembled slightly at the revelation. "Remy's your brother?"

"Younger brother, yeah… He was born when I was 5." Scott looked out over the lake. "I guess the professor and Hank are already running a DNA test."

"They know too?"

"Jean and the professor found the letter when I was on my way out. I just couldn't face them," Scott admitted honestly. "We should have searched harder!"

Bobby immediately understood that last remark. "The sensors didn't pick anything up when we were in Antarctica, Scott." Damn! He knew Remy was still alive, but couldn't tell Scott, but if he kept quiet, Scott would beat himself up for this!

"You know, Bobby," Scott turned his head and looked at his younger friend. "I can't help but hope that Warren's right. That maybe Remy was still alive when Rogue left him and that he did find a way out of that icy hell."

"Scott," Bobby started, squeezing his friend's shoulder.

"I failed my brother, Bobby! My brother! Fuck, what kind of leader am I?" Scott suddenly exploded, pulled away from Bobby's hand and started to pace. "I should have done something! Should have done something different. Should have seen the problems between Rogue and Remy! Should have known he's my brother!"

"Scott, calm down!" Bobby ordered, got to his feet and stopped Scott in his tracks by resting both his hands on the man's shoulders. "You didn't know. You tried. You always try. This mess isn't your fault."

Scott bit his lower lip. "I regret…"

"What?" Bobby felt a little relieved now Scott was calming down.

"Alex and I… we never really got along…" Scott sunk down onto the ground again, resting his chin on his knees. "Maybe, if I had known that Remy was family… I always wanted that special bond with Alex, brothers… acting like brothers, being brothers… but Alex always made it so damn hard for me to love him like a brother."

Bobby remained quiet, sitting down again, letting Scott tell in his own pace.

"Remy and I got along, yes, but I never tried to really get to know him. He was a team-member and I his team leader. That was it. If I had known I could have tried harder."

Bobby drew in a deep breath. His conscience acted up. Telling Scott that Remy was still alive was the right thing to do, but there was the promise he'd made to Warren. "You wanna know something, Scott?" Bobby waited for Scott to look up. "I think Remy's still alive. We didn't find his body. You've got to believe he's still alive."

"I want to," Scott admitted. "But I wouldn't survive the disappointment if we found his body after all. I want to go back to Antarctica, Bobby and search the citadel one more time."

Bobby swallowed hard. "Don't do that, man."

"I have to, Bobby," Scott insisted, "I've got to know if his body is buried underneath the snow. Are you coming with me?"

Oh shit. Bobby couldn't let Scott leave on this wild goose chase, not while he knew the truth. "Make you a deal, Slim. Lemme catch some sleep and if you still wanna leave, we will take the Black Bird tomorrow." In the meantime I can e-mail Warren and tell him what's going on.

"Thanks," Scott whispered, truly touched. "You were there when we searched the first time…" He remembered trying to take out the Black Bird to return to Antarctica and suddenly Bobby had stood in the cabin door opening, demanding he was allowed to tag along.

"We should go home, find out what the DNA test revealed," Bobby suggested and rose from the ground. He offered Scott a hand and pulled him to his feet. "C'mon," and Bobby pointed towards his car. "It's getting chilly out here."

Feeling defeated and depressed, Scott followed. His instincts told him what the outcome of the DNA test would be. "I've been so blind."

Bobby got behind the wheel and started the car. "We'll find out the truth and if Remy's still alive, we'll find him," he promised passionately.

"Thanks," Scott whispered and awkwardly, he patted the back of Bobby's hand.

///

Fire Lake

"Daimon Hellstorm. I know that name," Logan growled. "You're the son of Satan. Hank mentioned ya once…" Feeling ill at ease, he backed away, tightening the grip he had on Jean-Luc. "What do ya want from us?"

"Sit down," Daimon said amused.

Isaac entered the study and put the coffee onto the desk. "Anything else?" he asked Daimon.

"No, just make sure we aren't interrupted." Daimon sipped from his coffee. The moment Isaac closed the door behind him, Daimon looked at his guests, which seem reluctant to try the hot coffee. He laughed; people always assumed the worst when meeting him.

"Talk about what?" Jean-Luc asked as he sat down. Logan moved into place behind him, resting a cautious hand on the headrest.

"A child with the devil's eyes and angelic features," Daimon said and watched Jean-Luc's startled reaction.

"Remy?" Jean-Luc exchanged a glance with his lover. "Is dis about Remy?"

"And the Antiquary," Daimon clarified.

Both Logan and Jean-Luc noticed the disgust as Daimon spoke the name.

"Did you put him up to dis?" Jean-Luc asked in anger. "Did you tell de Antiquary to kidnap de baby?"

Daimon got up from behind the desk, cocked his head and laughed hard, mocking them. "You don't know me," he stated.

"That's true, but we know what ya are," Logan countered viciously.

"Still feeling hostile?" Daimon shook his head. "I have no ties with the Antiquary. I've considered taking his soul more than once."

Jean-Luc gave Logan a cautious look. "I want to hear de rest," he informed his lover.

Reluctantly, Logan gave in, but he still didn't like this one bit.

"A wise decision." Daimon pulled up his chair and sat down in front of Jean-Luc. "There's a prophecy."

"The Antiquary mentioned that." Logan kept a close eye on Daimon.

Daimon continued, ignoring Logan's remark. "The prophecy stated that a child would end the Antiquary's reign of terror. The child would bear the mark of the devil. The Antiquary assumed that red eyes were such a mark."

"You have got red eyes too," Jean-Luc whispered uncomfortably.

"Yes, but I am Satan's offspring," Daimon stated.

"And Remy?" Jean-Luc had to know.

"A mutant. Satan didn't father him." Daimon saw the relief in the Cajun's eyes. "Remy always possessed the power to defeat the Antiquary, but the sorcerer ensured the child would never discover his real power."

"The charm?" Jean-Luc said with sudden dread.

Daimon laughed. "I'll get to that in a second."

Logan growled, "Ya better hurry up."

"After Remy was born things went wrong. You stole him from the hospital and that crushed Remy's chances at growing strong before fighting the Antiquary." Daimon leaned back, emptying his cup of coffee, realizing his guests still refused to accept the drink. So be it.

"Why contact us now?" Jean-Luc asked confused.

"You went after the Antiquary. That puts Remy in danger… " Daimon tapped his fingertips on the wooden arm rest. "You woke him. He's been asleep for a long time, but now he wants revenge."

"Ya think he'll go after Remy?" Logan interrupted, still uncertain what to make of Daimon.

"Yes," Daimon confirmed. "Understand this. I only learned of Remy's existence weeks ago." When he'd succeeded his father as the new ruler of Hell he'd uncovered a lot of plotting. "Remy suffered unnecessarily because my father leaked the prophecy to the Antiquary. The sorcerer wasn't supposed to know the words of the prophecy."

Jean-Luc's brain worked overtime to try and make sense of all this information. "Why Remy? If he's only a mutant why would he be chosen to bring down a sorcerer?"

Daimon nodded his head. "You're smart. Yes, there's more, but are you ready to hear the rest of the story?"

"I am," Jean-Luc said determinedly. "I stole him dat night and I need to keep him safe now."

"Why did you steal him?" Daimon's eyes narrowed. "Tell me."

"The Antiquary ordered me." Jean-Luc shifted uncomfortably in his chair. Logan tensed behind him and Jean-Luc placed his hand on his lover's, admonishing Logan to keep his cool.

"And your wife…" Daimon raised an eyebrow. Yes, he could be ruthless if necessary, but these two men weren't his enemies.

"Wife?" Logan repeated surprised. "Ya never mentioned yer wife was involved." He vividly remembered Jean-Luc's confession and Mattie telling him that the Antiquary had used the potion of eternal life to control the patriarch. But now he suspected that Jean-Luc had been keeping back.

Jean-Luc spoke through gritted teeth. "Louise was ill, very ill and de Antiquary said that he would heal her if I stole de baby. I made a pact."

"And he let her die anyway," Daimon finished for him.

"Oui, Louise died two days after I handed Remy over to de Antiquary." Jean-Luc got to his feet and paced restlessly. "I wanted to reclaim Remy, but… the Antiquary was too strong."

Satisfied, Daimon stretched his legs and returned to his desk, but secretly he studied the impact this new information had on Logan.

Logan felt shocked. He'd assumed all along that something traumatic had happened in Jean-Luc's life, considering the way the man had locked himself up in his work, but… "He let her die?"

"Oui," Jean-Luc said with steel in his tone. "I loved her so much dat I was willing to sacrifice a baby's life."

Logan turned away from Jean-Luc and locked eyes with Daimon. "What about the rest of the story?"

Daimon wavered. "Maybe later…"

"Now," Jean-Luc said resolved. "Tell us now."

Daimon gave in; maybe it was better this way. "Remy's soul is… special."

"Soul? Special?" Logan raised an eyebrow. "What the hell are ya talkin' 'bout?"

Daimon grinned. "I doubt you'll understand. Maybe you aren't ready yet to hear this."

"Try us," Jean-Luc stated in a clear tone.

"Every soul has the choice to serve good or evil," Daimon explained, "Sometimes, a demon or an angel decides to join with a human soul because it's been given a task. When I was born, my soul was half human, half demonic. My wife sacrificed her sanity in order to expel the satanic part."

"I'm sorry to hear dat, mais what has dis to do with Remy?" Jean-Luc studied Daimon and was upset to see a very human emotion in those red eyes; regret.

"Remy's soul is half human, half angelic." Daimon grinned hearing their surprised gasps. "The Antiquary always feared that Remy would discover his powers, his hidden powers, what you call charm."

"What did you say?" Jean-Luc muttered startled.

"A child was born with red eyes and angelic features," Daimon repeated his earlier statement. "Red eyes because of his mutant powers, and deep inside his soul lives the essence that joined him before birth. It's rare that an angel decides to re-incarnate, melting with a human soul, but the Antiquary was gaining too much power. Remy was chosen to fight this battle."

"I never suspected…"

Daimon was relieved to see understanding in his guests' eyes. It was important that they believed him. Daimon took a deep breath. "I owe Remy my help."

Logan, who had been strangely quiet, looked up. "Ya need to draw a number and stand in line if ya want to kill the bastard."

Daimon laughed loudly. "You can't kill him! He's a sorcerer. Part of his soul is demonic!"

"And you can?" Jean-Luc asked to make sure.

"Yes," Daimon replied. "We'll track him down and when the time is right my Hellfire will send his black soul to Hell where it belongs!"

///

Ireland

"Now be a good wolf and eat!" Warren smiled hearing Remy's concerned voice. They'd just visited the vet and Remy had clearly been relieved when the vet had told them that the wolf would be okay. They'd gotten some ointment to go onto the wound and bandages. Then they'd bought tons of dog food. Now that they were back Warren got rid of the image inducer and started carrying the rest of canned dog food inside. Remy was sitting on his heels, petting the wolf's head. The look the canine gave Remy was uncanny and Warren wondered just what was going in their minds. He felt left out.

"Cher?" Remy looked up and extended his hand. "Come 'ere."

Warren put the cans on the kitchen counter and joined his lover.

"First time I'm doin' dis," Remy whispered shyly.

"What, Rem?" Warren wanted to add something, but suddenly a feral power slipped into his mind, focused and predatory. "So that's how Wolvie feels to you?"

"Oui," Remy said with a smile. "And don' worry. He won' try to bite you 'gain. He now knows you're a bien homme." Remy cocked his head. "I'm tired…"

"Why don't you take a shower? That might help," Warren suggested, surprised that the canine's presence still lingered in his mind, now that Remy was retreating up the staircase.

"Do you want to join me, cher? In de shower?" Remy asked shyly. "I t'ink I'm ready for de next step. Are you, ange?"

"Just touching?" Warren wavered. "I don't want to go too fast."

"I know dat, cher," Remy reassured him. "Join me?"

"Okay," Warren gave in. "I'm just going to carry the rest inside and make sure Wolvie's got something to eat and drink and then…" He blushed, thinking about joining Remy in the shower.

Remy returned to his lover and grinned wickedly, seeing the blush on Warren's face. He brushed his lover's lips seductively and pinched Warren's buttocks.

"Rem!" Warren exclaimed, rubbing his butt. "Don't do that!"

But Remy continued to grin and headed for the bathroom.

"Revenge will be mine," Warren announced, embarrassed to find that Remy's pinch had made him rock hard. His erection pushed against his jeans.

///

Remy relaxed underneath the warm beam of water. Although he'd slept extremely well last night he'd woken up in his clothes and had been dying ever since to take a shower. But the vet could only see them early in the morning, so they'd left right after Warren had made that call. He released a deep sigh as the warm water flowed down his body. What was taking Warren this long? Or was Warren trying to stall? Merde, this was hard on both of them. Remy realized that they had to take this slow, for both their sakes, but he wouldn't break when Warren touched him. But what he did fear were the memories, possibly even flashbacks. The Antiquary hadn't felt this close in years.

"Hey lover," Warren announced his presence, trying hard not to startle Remy. He'd been reading Jean-Luc's books and they'd offered some good pointers.

"Cher, come inside and close de door." A wave of cold washed inside and made Remy tremble. Suddenly, he forgot to take his next breath as Warren stepped up to him… naked. It was the first time that he saw his lover completely naked and his heart picked up speed. "Beautiful," Remy whispered approvingly. Warren's wings were half spread, touching the shower cabin's walls. A few golden hairs shone from his lover's chest and Remy's gaze traveled down the washboard abdomen. He swallowed hard seeing Warren's erect cock. "It's bien, ange. Come 'ere," Remy whispered, surprised that Warren acted this shyly. Remy opened his arms and pulled his lover close to his chest. "Nervous?"

"Yeah," Warren whispered in a raspy tone. "Geeze, Rem." Explanatorily, his right hand came to rest on the Cajun's smooth, hairless chest.

"Careful, cher, you're droolin'," Remy said teasingly and eased the tension between them.

"Just touching and kissing," Warrens stated determinedly. "We're taking this slow," he reminded his lover and stroked the soft skin beneath his fingertips.

"D'accord," Remy whispered and leaned in closer to kiss his lover's lips.

Warren moaned as Remy's lips captured his and he greedily parted his teeth, luring Remy's tongue inside. He maintained eye contact; Remy's expression would give away any unease. He gasped as Remy's semi erect cock brushed his. "You little tease," Warren breathed into Remy's mouth.

Remy chuckled and stroked his lover's back, hands trailing down to Warren's buttocks. "Make you come?" Remy offered, genuinely entranced by the way their bodies rubbed against each other.

Warren momentarily stopped his caresses to search the red on black eyes. "Only if I can make you come in return." He reclaimed those luscious lips and sucked on Remy's lower lip. Then his tongue trailed down his lover's throat, suckled the skin underneath Remy's ear and smiled secretly when the Cajun arched his back.

Feeling lost, Remy surrendered to his lover's ministrations. Warren's demand confused him. He wasn't used to his lover wanting to pleasure him in return. He knew how to surrender, how to please and give, but how did one receive pleasure? "Cher?" he whispered breathlessly.

"It's okay, Rem," Warren whispered, recognizing the confusion in those eyes. "We can stop."

"Non!" Remy exclaimed upset. "Want to make you come first," he clarified.

Warren watched Remy for several moments. "Just touching… remember that, love."

Slightly embarrassed Remy avoided his lover's eyes. He'd planned on using his lips and tongue to bring Warren to orgasm.

"Just your hands, love… And now kiss me?" Warren leaned against the tiles and pulled Remy with him. Warren raised one hand and rested it at the back of Remy's neck, gently kissing his lover.

Remy's right hand found Warren's hard cock and his fingers closed around it, pumping slowly. "Je t'aime," Remy whispered, a little startled when Warren threw back his head and bucked against his hand, asking him to speed up. "Never had dis much control," Remy whispered absentmindedly.

Warren's eyes sparkled. "I know that, love," he panted. "Please, Rem… harder… faster…" Remy's finger teased against the head of his cock and Warren arched his back, mutely begging for release. Warren yelped softly as another hand gently squeezed his balls, rolling them slowly. "Shit, Remy, what…?" The lips returned, taking away his last words and a delicious tongue chased his in a wild duel.

Remy obliged his lover and fisted the now slippery cock. Pre-ejaculate dripped over his fingers and suddenly he felt glad Warren insisted that this would only be a hand job. He still remembered the Antiquary's bitter taste when the old man had made Remy go down on him. Oui, doing it this way was best…

"Damn," Warren whispered, realizing he was close. "I'm gonna come, love."

Remy smiled. His lips left Warren's and Remy concentrated on one painfully erect nipple. At first, Remy only licked it, delighted to hear Warren's soft mews, but then suckled it passionately.

"Rem!" White cream shot from his cock into the palm of his lover's hand. Warren swayed on his feet and couldn't remember the last time he'd come this hard. "Rem, kiss me?"

Remy quickly returned to kiss his lover's bruised lips, but continued to milk Warren's cock until the last drop. With his left hand, he supported his lover, whose legs were about to give out on him. Gently, he followed Warren down until they kneeled on the floor. "Did you like dat?" Remy asked awkwardly.

Warren purred his answer. "Ohhh, yessss, most definitely!" Cocking his head he looked into nervous red on black eyes. "That was perfect." His words took away some of Remy's tension and Warren stroked his lover's wet hair. "I love you, Rem." He loved the blush that crept across Remy's face.

Remy managed a smile. "Gettin' cold, cher," he said and shivered. Although he was still painfully hard, the thought of Warren touching him like that made him nervous.

"We had a deal, love," Warren reminded Remy, remembering Jean-Luc's warning that Remy might refuse accepting the same pleasure in return. Facing his lover, Warren pulled Remy onto his lap, wrapping the Cajun's legs around his waist.

"What are you doin'?" Remy felt paralysed, now that he was so close to his lover. Warm water still dripped down their bodies and his erection throbbed painfully.

Warren folded one arm around his lover's waist to steady Remy. Then he leaned in closer and licked the skin near Remy's collarbone. A soft moan was his reward. Encouraged, Warren shifted his attention to the two rock hard nipples. He licked one and rolled the other between his fingertips. He was trying to find the spots that would make Remy moan, make him arch his back, thrust against his stomach and Warren succeeded. Pulling up his knees, Warren offered them as support and Remy rested his back against them.

Feeling incredibly shy, vulnerable and exposed, Remy grabbed Warren's shoulders to hold onto. "Cher, you don' need to do dis."

"Oh, no, Remy. I need to do this. I want to do this," and Warren silenced his lover with a ravishing kiss that left the Cajun breathless. Slowly, his fingers tangled in his lover's pubic hair, then slid down to run over the length of Remy's hard cock. "I never thought a man could get me hard… could make me want to do this," Warren whispered aloud. "But I want to make you come. I want to touch you, give you pleasure." As he continued to talk, Warren started to stroke his lover's cock.

"Cher?" Remy stuttered surprised. Warren's lips never left his skin and were now drawing circles around his nipple. His fingernails dug into Warren's shoulder, brushing feathers in the progress.

"Rem?" Warren's fingers explored the texture of his lover's balls and the velvet like skin felt intoxicating. "Please come for me?"

Remy moaned his need and surrendered to the sensations in his body and mind. Mon Dieu, he felt Warren's love, the desire and need to make him come, to feel Remy tremble in his arms. "Ange…"

"Come for me, love," Warren whispered and increased the pace with which he pumped his lover's cock. Remy went rigid in his arms and Warren reacted at once, suckling his lover's tongue. A second later, warm come covered his hand. Remy trembled in his arms, and the red on black eyes had turned big. "I love you."

"Mon Dieu," Remy whispered in ecstasy as waves of exquisite pleasure coursed through him. He couldn't stop himself as he buried his face against Warren's chest, nuzzling the skin there.

"Can I taste you?" Warren asked in an unguarded moment, unsure why he made that request. All he knew was that he wanted to explore every aspect of their bodies and lovemaking.

Remy's eyes mirrored his surprise. "If dat's what you want, cher…"

Warren raised his hand and licked a droplet of Remy's come from his fingers. "It might not take me too long to take the next step, Rem," he whispered, surprised at his eagerness to take this further.

"Cher? Hold me?"

Warren distinctly noticed the confusion in his lover's red eyes. "I took you a little by surprise, didn't I?" he realized and embraced Remy.

"Oui," Remy admitted. "I t'ought I was ready to do dis and I was… mais takin' dis furder…"

"It still scares you," Warren realized instinctively. "Don't worry about it, love. We'll take the next step together and only when we're both ready."

"Merci, ange," Remy whispered into the feathers which now covered him. "Mebby we should clean up now?"

"In a moment… can I just hold you a little longer?" Warren asked, knowing how much Remy needed this.

"Bien," Remy gave in, snuggling closer, enjoying the warm steam and steady flow of water down his spine. "Will you take me flyin' tonight?"

"Yeah," Warren whispered pleased and inhaled his lover's scent, suddenly realizing how damn right this felt. He'd never felt this intense when he'd been with Bets. "You're the other half of my soul," Warren whispered barely audible, struck by that sudden insight. "And I will never let you go again."

///

Westchester

"Are you're sure? You didn’t make any mistakes?" Scott's voice trembled and he inhaled deeply before looking at the results of the DNA test Hank had just run. Jean, the professor and Bobby were close, equally curious and concerned.

"No mistakes," Hank assured Scott. He wasn't sure how this outcome would affect Scott, but Hank hoped it'd be for the best. "You shouldn't postpone this."

"Easy for you to say," Scott countered and finally looked at the test results, which didn't surprise him at all. "Brothers," he whispered resigned. "I had this chance and blew it!"

"You didn't know Remy was your brother," the professor tried to reason with his student, but knew he had already lost. "Whoever sent you that death certificate wanted to hurt you."

Scott shook his head. "I want to be alone… please, guys." He walked out of the med lab, desperately searching for some quiet. But an angry female voice broke the silence.

"Sugah, yuh gotta believe me!"

"Rogue." Scott felt an unexpected raw wave of anger and hatred directed at his team-mate. He had to get out of here before he did something he might regret later. Facing Rogue now was the worst thing he could do.

"I can't!" Joseph exclaimed upset. "You just told me he was alive when you left him! You left him there to die!"

Scott listened intensely, suddenly extremely alert and interested. He stepped into the living room and watched the couple verbally fight.

"I considered Gambit my friend!" Joseph said in a tense tone. "He backed me up when no one else would, you included. I can't love a woman who…" Stunned, he looked at Scott's seemingly emotionless face. "I'm sorry, but I've got to leave. Rogue, it's over between us." After uttering those words, Joseph stormed out of the room.

Scott took in Rogue's pale face. Her hands shook and if looks could kill, Joseph and he would have been dead now. "Why? I thought you loved Remy." This time, he wanted answers. It was personal now. Had she killed his younger brother? "The truth, Rogue." Rogue was about to turn away and leave the room, but Scott covered the distance between them in a few steps. He yanked her around and locked eyes with her. "Did you ever really love Remy?"

Rogue's eyes mirrored confusion and anger. "Why's everyone defendin' him all of a sudden?" She tried to free herself of his hold, but Scott refused to let go. "What do yuh want?"

"Was Remy alive when you left him?" Scott's tone was calm and composed. He didn't want her to know the truth yet; that Remy and he had been brothers. She'd only use that knowledge to her advantage and twist it to her convenience.

"Yeah! He was alive!" she exploded. "He deserved tuh die!"

"Why?" It was becoming increasingly difficult to control his emotions. "Why!" Scott shook her slightly. "Why?"

"Because he…" Rogue stared at him. Her eyes were big and unfocused. "Ah knew he was holdin' back all that time… but he never confided in me. He didn't trust me!"

"So?" Scott hissed the word between gritted teeth. "You kept back when you joined us. Or did you forget all the crimes you committed before joining the X-Men?" He startled at his own venomous tone and released her as if bitten by a snake.

"He never trusted me! Never loved me!" Rogue shot back. "Ah gave him so many chances tuh tell me and he never did!"

Privately, Scott counted to ten to regain his calm. "Did you ever love him?"

"Yeah, Ah did! But he destroyed that love by not tellin' me the truth!" Rogue walked in to the corridor. "Ah wish Ah hadn't left him out there tuh die, but… I was so angry with him! All these years Ah tried tuh get through tuh him, tuh tell me what he was tryin' tuh hide, but it took a trial to reveal the truth! If yuh love someone, yuh trust that person!" Hurt and anger fought for the upper tone in her voice.

Quietly, he watched her. "Damn you, Rogue! Do you think it's so easy to trust you? Trust you with information he obviously felt ashamed of? You've got to have a connection first before you can open up to your loved ones! It took Jean and me years to get there! It's called unconditional love and the first thing you did with Remy was put down conditions. You kept pushing him, didn't you?" Scott took a deep breath. "I wondered time and time again why Remy put up with your demands… Look at you and Joseph now. You started off that relationship with lies! How do you expect to ever find love if you keep manipulating… That's it, isn't it?" he said with sudden understanding. "You can't help manipulating people. Rogue, you better straighten out this mess with Joseph. You're both on this team and I don't want any screw ups… and Rogue?"

Her eyes were aflame when she looked at Scott. She'd never seen this side to him and it baffled her. "What, Cyke?"

"Do me a favor? Stay out of my sight." Scott turned to leave, hearing her surprised gasp. "I mean it."

Rogue stared at his back until Scott slammed the door behind him. What had that been all about? And damn, what gave Scott the right to use such a tone with her? She'd tried! Tried to make things work with the stupid Cajun! It wasn't her fault that he'd never trusted her enough to prove his love to her! Enraged, she walked outside and took to the air in pursuit of Joseph.

Maybe it wasn't too late yet. Maybe she could convince Joseph that she'd acted in her lover's best interest when she'd told Joseph that Remy had been dead when she'd left him behind. Joseph had to believe her! Joseph loved her!

///

"All right, let's do this!" Bobby sat down behind his computer and was pleased to find one message from Warren in his inbox. He opened the message and then read it quickly. "Okay, big guy," he muttered absentmindedly and hit reply.

-----Original Message-----

From: Bluefurryballs@hotmail.com

Sent: Sunday 14 January 22:47

To: WWorthington@Enterprises.com

Subject: Remy

Warren,

Okay, you know that everything that you tell me is between the two of us. My lips are sealed. I made you that promise and I'm going to keep it.

I'm glad to hear that Remy's doing better, but… man, there have been some scary developments over here. I can't tell you like this, but please, please ask Remy to reconsider. Please let me tell Scott that Remy's alive. Look, Scott really needs to know that Remy's fine. I don't feel comfortable telling you what happened over the net. Scott should be the one to do that. Warren, ask Remy and get back to me on this ASAP? Tell Remy this is important.

I know I'm rambling here, but I'm caught in the middle, knowing Remy's alive and I can't tell Scott. Scott needs to know Remy's alive, trust me on this.

Bobby.

Yeah, he was babbling all right, but he hated being stuck in this mess. He sent the message, hoping Warren would read and answer it within 24 hours; otherwise he had to go along with Scott's plan to return to Antarctica. A knock on the door disturbed his musings. "Yeah?"

Scott opened the door, walked inside and dropped onto a chair. "I don't know what to do."

Scott's emotionless tone alarmed Bobby. "What happened? I heard Rogue and Joseph shouting and…"

"I confronted her, Bobby," Scott mumbled and took off his glasses to rub his eyes. He quickly put them back in place. "She admitted to leaving him there alive."

"Good!" Bobby exclaimed pleased. "Remy's tough. He found a way out of there."

"Then where is he now? Hiding? Hiding from us? From Rogue? How can we find him? The professor offered to use Cerebro to track Remy down, but you know the Cajun's shields. The professor won't be able to find him."

"What's this really about?" Bobby asked as he switched off the monitor. He couldn't run the risk of Scott reading Remy's name on the screen.

"I guess I want a second chance…" Scott sighed heavily. "I want to get to know my brother… I want that connection I never felt with Alex."

"Scott, why don't you try to get some sleep? If Remy doesn't want to be found, we'll fail. Why not give him some time? Maybe he'll return when he's ready?"

"That's assuming he's alive," Scott pointed out to Bobby. "I can't bear the thought of him being buried underneath that snow or laying died inside that citadel. I'm his older brother. I should have kept him safe."

Bobby got up from his chair and guided Scott over to his bed. "Get comfy, Slim." He forced Scott onto his back and covered the emotionally drained man with a comforter. "I'm going to talk to Jean. Why don't you get some sleep? Things might be different when you wake up." Bobby made sure his friend was comfortable and then moved over to the doorway, praying Warren would read the message.

"Bobby? I want to be alone… Don't tell Jean…"

"I'll tell her not to disturb you, man. Now rest," Bobby instructed and closed the door. Angered, he slammed a fist into the wall. He needed someone to talk to and only Warren knew the truth, so he had to keep this all inside and it was eating him alive.

///

Fire Lake

Daimon walked them to their guest rooms and noticed the regular glance Jean-Luc sent his way. "What do you want to know?"

"Why do you want to help Remy?" Jean-Luc stopped walking as they reached their rooms, which were luxurious and comfortable.

Daimon walked inside and with a flick of his finger started a small fire in the open fire place to warm the room. "Maybe because I feel akin to your adopted son."

Logan raised an eyebrow. "Care to explain that?"

Daimon looked out of the window, shivering slightly at the memories. "Contrary to what most people think, I do have feelings. I feel fear, joy, love and hate."

"I never said you didn't," Jean-Luc reminded Daimon as he joined the other man in front of the window. Daimon didn't look much older than Remy. But there were lines of suffering on the man's brow Jean-Luc hadn't seen before.

"They called me Devilspawn when I was growing up," Daimon explained with a grim expression on his face. "At that time I didn't know that I was Satan's son. It hurt."

Jean-Luc nodded his head in understanding. "They called Remy that… or Devil boy, le diable blanc."

"People can be so… ignorant, narrow-minded," Daimon agreed. "Remy suffered unnecessarily and I'm indebted to him. If my father hadn't leaked the secret…"

"You amaze me," Jean-Luc admitted, no longer paying any attention to his lover, who'd moved behind him.

"I am human," Daimon assured Jean-Luc. "My father never expected me to turn out like this. My mother died when giving birth to me and my sister, Satana, died to save Stephen Strange's soul."

Jean-Luc held his breath, hearing his old friend's name.

"I'm the result of a dysfunctional family," Daimon continued. "I never wanted to serve my father, have been a rebel from the start, but some things are inevitable," he concluded with a sigh. "I need to take care of some personal business. I'll inform you the moment the Antiquary moves against Remy."

"Ya can only do that if ya know where the kid is," Logan remarked, closely observing Daimon's expression.

"He's in Ireland," Daimon replied calmly. "I've got my sources."

Feeling a little uncomfortable, Jean-Luc asked, "Does Remy know…"

"He knows nothing," Daimon interrupted his guest. "And I won't tell him. I guess that's a decision you've got to make, monsieur LeBeau." After saying that, Daimon strode out of the room.

Puzzled, Logan eyed Jean-Luc. "What was that 'bout?"

"I've got to tell Remy dat I abducted him, about de prophecy," Jean-Luc summarized. "I always hoped dat I'd never have to tell Remy dat I delivered him into de Antiquary's hands."

"We can worry about that later, Cajun. First we need to stop the Antiquary from hurting the kid."

"We've got to wait," Jean-Luc realized. "What do you think of Daimon?"

"I don't know. He puzzles me. He doesn't act like he's the son of Satan."

"Mebbe we're prejudiced? When people met Remy for de first time dey assumed he was evil too."

"No offence, Cajun," Logan growled. "But I doubt Daimon is some kinda goody two shoes. We should stay alert."

Jean-Luc sunk onto the king size bed. "I'm tired."

"We better catch some sleep," Logan agreed. "We should be ready in case the Antiquary makes his move." He dropped next to Jean-Luc on the bed and covered his lover's body with his. "We also need to talk about us…"

"Later, cher?" Jean-Luc said pleadingly. "My head is spinning."

Logan pressed a passionate kiss on his lover's lips. "Remy's soul is special?" Logan nailed the problem Jean-Luc was struggling with right down.

"Can it be? Can it be dat part of his soul is…?" Jean-Luc failed to pronounce the word.

"That his soul is part angelic?" Logan finished for him. "Until a few hours ago I would have declined that option, but now… We know Daimon is the son of Satan… and if Satan exists, it is only a small step to assume that angels exist."

Jean-Luc felt lost. "I never thought…"

"The way Daimon explained it, Remy doesn't even know this himself." Logan had trouble accepting this too. "I guess Remy is the outcome of the merge that occurred before he was born. Ya ain't gonna lose yer son, Jean-Luc."

Jean-Luc wrapped his arms around his lover. "I just don't want Remy to get hurt because of all dis. He's been hurt too much already."

"We'll stop the Antiquary," Logan promised, "and you know that Remy loves ya."

"Mais can he forgive me for handing him over to de Antiquary?" Jean-Luc whispered in dread. " I don't want to lose him."

"Kid's a lot stronger than ya give him credit for," Logan reminded him. "And now stop worryin'. Together, we can beat the bastard."

"Hopefully."

///

Ireland

"Rem? I've got to check on your side." Warren walked up to his lover, who stood in front of the window. They'd spent most of the afternoon talking and he'd even convinced Remy to take a nap. "A penny for your thoughts."

Remy smiled. "Only a penny? A million at least!"

Warren grinned warmly. "Only one million?"

"Cher?" Remy turned around and wrapped his arms around Warren's waist. "I loved touchin' you in de shower," he added with a sly grin.

Warren led Remy to the couch and sat him down. "Take off that shirt," he instructed and got some new bandages.

Remy obeyed, but gave his lover a look filled with longing. "Cher?"

"Don't try those puppy dog's eyes on me." Warren sat down and removed the old bandage. "My, that's healing nicely. In a few days you can do without the bandages." The wound looked smoother, less raw and far less aggressive. "Must be all the rest and TLC you're getting!" Warren said jokingly.

Remy raised his right hand and his fingers tangled in Warren's golden hair. Remy couldn't explain this feeling of calm, of serenity that suddenly came over him.

"Do you know you smell of roses?" Warren quipped, intensely aware of the draped expression in his lover's eyes. "What are you doing?" he whispered as something warm, light and gentle slipped into his mind. With a start, Warren realized it was the love Remy bore him. "Rem? Talk to me?"

"Roses?" Remy remarked absentmindedly. This serene feeling reached each corner of his mind.

"When you took off the shackles you smelt of lilies… Don't know why, but the fragrance changes every so often." Warren finished bandaging his lover's wound and then leaned in a little closer to study the red on black eyes. "You've got golden sparkles in your iris," he whispered softly. "I've never seen them before."

"I'm scared," Remy admitted unexpectedly. "I'm changin'."

Warren pulled Remy into an embrace. "You just need to find out what this power is about, Remy. So far it hasn't hurt us. You can deal with it. I'm with you every step of the way."

"Can we go for a walk? I need to get out of here," Remy asked pleadingly.

Warren nodded his head, surprised as the golden sparkles brightened even more. "I'll get our coats."

Remy walked over to the wolf, petted his head and whispered. "We'll be back soon, mon ami." The wolf tried to get to his feet as if to accompany them, but Remy gently pushed him down again. "You need rest." The wolf gave in reluctantly.

"Are you ready to go?" Warren waited at the doorway and handed Remy his coat. "Where are we going?"

"De lake."

///

30 minutes later they stared across the lake. The sun was setting and casting a golden/red veil over the water.

"What's going on, Rem?" Warren sat leaned back against the trunk of a tree. Remy sat between his legs, the Cajun's back resting against Warren's chest. Warren tightened his hold on the Cajun. "It's orchids now," he said, identifying the fragrance. "Why are you so quiet?"

Remy glared at the lake. His mood changed from serene to angry. He tried to keep it locked up inside, trying to hold onto the silence.

Warren sensed the anger, now that Remy no longer shielded this new power. "Care to tell me why you're angry?" He feared he already knew the reason.

"He lied." Remy threw back his head and rested it on Warren's shoulder. "Because of him I lived in constant fear."

"It's okay to be angry, love," Warren reassured Remy. "I'm angry with him too."

"I just… wish dere was a way to get all dis anger out," Remy whispered nervously. "I feel like I'm 'bout to explode…"

"Maybe I can help," Warren sneaked a hand into a pocket and withdrew a deck of cards. "You can get the anger out this way, Rem. Throw them at the lake. No one will get hurt. If you keep this bottled up, it will tear you apart."

Remy stared at the cards and then accepted them. Slowly, he charged one with kinetic energy. "He hurt me," Remy whispered and threw the card, which exploded in the air before it had a chance to hit the water.

"That's it." Warren nodded his head. "Let it out."

"He abused me," Remy said viciously and flipped another charged card at the lake.

"What else?"

"He made me fear my own power," Remy whispered at a loss, holding onto the charged card and only throwing it at the last moment.

Warren nuzzled the back of his lover's neck. "Are you only mad with him?"

"Non," Remy admitted.

"Then say it."

"She left me dere to die!" A powerful explosion disturbed the peaceful surface of the lake. "She used me… like I used her."

Warren knew it was the truth the moment Remy spoke the words. "Throw another one."

"I won' be able to walk back if I keep dis up." His charging power ate energy.

"Trust me on this one," Warren whispered.

"De X-Men didn' come back for me!" Remy hissed in a pained tone and threw the rest of the deck. "Dey don' care!"

This outburst surprised Warren. "Scott and Bobby returned to Antarctica to look for you." Remy now struggled to free himself of the embrace, but Warren was determined to see this through. "Jean mourns your death."

"Dey don' care," Remy maintained.

"They do, Rem, they do." Warren licked the skin underneath the Cajun's right ear and his love trembled in his arms. "Now I'm smelling forget-me-not."

Remy remained quiet, then shifted in his lover's arms so he could see Warren's face.

"You're crying!" Warren realized startled and wiped the tears away with his fingertips. "Why?"

"Because I found you, cher." Remy brushed his lover's lips. "You're right," he said and grinned. "It does feel better now dat de anger got out."

"Wanna go home?"

"Home," Remy repeated the word. "Home is where you are," he whispered sincerely.

Warren smiled, rose from the ground and pulled Remy to his feet. "Wanna watch another movie before turning into sleep?"

Remy nodded his head. "Sure… you goin' to fly me home? Might be a nice backrub in it for you," he hinted mischievously.

"A backrub, huh?" Warren laughed warmly. "I'd like that." He moved in front of his lover and automatically Remy's hands clasped around Warren's waist. "Let's fly home."

Remy relaxed into the warm body. Throwing those cards had worn him out. "Take me home," he whispered lost in thought.

///

Warren woke up because Remy was moving about in bed, tossing and turning. Every so often a moan escaped Remy's lips. "Rem? Are you having a nightmare? Wake up, Rem!"

Remy's eyes flashed open. "What? Cher?" he whispered confused and searched his surroundings. Suddenly, he grew aware of the strong arms wrapped around him. "Nightmare, oui… I was dreamin' of… him," he disliked mentioning the Antiquary by name.

Warren held Remy close, gently wiping the sweat and tears from Remy's face. "You're safe, love."

Frantically, Remy shook his head. "I felt him, ange… felt his hands on me."

Swallowing hard, Warren tried to come up with something that would reassure his lover, but the wolf suddenly left his pillow and jumped onto the bed. "What are you doing, Wolvie?" Warren noticed that the wolf's fur stood rigid and a low, dangerous growl left the canine's throat. "What are you sensing?"

Remy's eyes were growing wide, sensing the wolf's discomfort. The canine picked up on something. "Ange?" he pushed himself deeper into the embrace. It was hard to make the transition from nightmare to reality, especially when a nightmare seemed so real.

"What the fuck?" Warren pulled Remy protectively behind him, as a form took shape at the foot end of the bed. Warren instinctively knew this presence posed a threat. The wolf howled harder, his teeth flashed in the moonlight.

The form grew more solid, dressed in blue and green robes; his face was hidden inside a hood. "I want what's mine," an emotionless voice announced. "I want you," he lifted a bony finger and pointed at Remy.

"You can't have him!" Warren shouted, spreading his wings protectively to hide Remy from sight. "It's you…" he knew with certainty. "Bastard, leave him alone. Didn't you do enough damage?"

The Antiquary laughed coldly. "Not enough."

Remy tried to get a hold on his raging emotions. He didn’t want to feel this fear, this terror. He should be able to face his nemesis and fight him! Not hide behind his lover's back!

"You leave him alone!" Warren demanded and suddenly realized that the wolf was getting ready to jump the intruder. Warren tried to pull the canine back, but it was too late. A dangerous growl filled the room and the wolf leapt at the Antiquary, targeting his throat.

"Cher?"

Remy's trembling voice reached his ears and Warren looked over his shoulder. "We can take him, love!"

Cautiously, Remy crawled away from Warren's protective embrace. The Antiquary's form was growing translucent, almost taking the wolf with him as a portal opened. In disbelief, Remy stared at the closing portal, leaving no trace of his nemesis. He lowered himself onto the floor to check on the wolf. "Mon ami," he whispered nervously. Had this really happened? "Was he really here, ange?"

Warren joined his lover, relieved that Remy was dealing surprisingly well with this unexpected attack. "That was the Antiquary, wasn't it?"

"Oui," Remy whispered upset and checked the wolf for injuries, but there were none. "Mon Dieu, how did he find us? Why come after me now?" Remy shook violently and the wolf rested his head on Remy's thigh, looking up with a trusting expression in his yellow eyes.

Warren pulled Remy close and rocked him slowly. It settled Remy's nerves and within minutes his lover's heartbeat was once again steady and firm. "He's gone now."

"Mais he'll be back, believe me," Remy whispered softly. "And we can' fight him."

///

Fire Lake

An urgent knock on the door woke Logan and Jean-Luc, who'd fallen asleep fully clothed. Two pairs of alert eyes watched as Daimon strode into the room.

"What happened?" Jean-Luc quickly got to his feet, followed by his lover.

"The Antiquary made his move," Daimon informed them, pleased.

"Did Remy get hurt?" Jean-Luc couldn't believe the smug look on Daimon's face. "Why didn't you wake us? Why didn't we act?"

"Remy's fine," Daimon nodded his head. "And act we will. I now know where he's hiding."

Logan unleashed his claws. "Let's finish this. It's payback time."

Daimon gestured them to come closer. They almost backed down when flames left Daimon's eyes and hands, as the son of Satan summoned his Hellfire trident. "We're going to Ireland," Daimon whispered ominously. "Are you coming?"

"Oui," Jean-Luc reacted first and took a step closer.

Logan followed reluctantly. The stench of sulphur was overwhelming. A moment later, darkness swallowed them.

///

Ireland

"Rem?" Worried, Warren watched his lover closely. "Are you okay?" The unexpected confrontation with his past had upset Remy. "He's gone, love. The bastard can't hurt you. I won't let him hurt you." Warren held Remy tightly, softly kissing the auburn hair resting on his shoulder.

"Non, I ain' 'kay," Remy replied honestly. It was amazing. He could longer hide his pain from his lover. Warren had found a way into his heart weeks ago.

"Anything I can do?" Warren offered and shifted his glance from Remy to the wolf who was stretched out on the foot end, watching them alertly. Warren shivered. Sometimes it felt like that wolf was constantly keeping an eye on them. That had to be his imagination.

"Non," Remy whispered and deeply inhaled his lover's soothing scent. Being in these strong arms was a dream come true. "Why come after me now?"

"I don't know, Rem." Feeling powerless, Warren pressed a kiss on his lover's brow. "Do you really think he'll be back?"

"Oui," Remy nodded his head. "Wolvie surprised him. Next time, he'll be prepared." The Antiquary wouldn't give up easily.

"Then we must be ready for him." Warren sounded steadfast. "How can we fight him?"

"We can'," Remy said distressed. "He's a sorcerer, ange. He'll find us no matter where we hide."

"I'm not planning on hiding," Warren stated resolved. "There has to be a way to take him down." Staring out of the window, he shivered at the darkness outside. They had to get through the night unharmed. "Maybe the X-Men…"

"Non!" Remy tried to break free of the protective embrace, which suddenly suffocated him. "Don' want deir help. Don' need it!"

"Stubborn Cajun," Warren chided Remy affectionately. "But seriously, Rem, we need to think about our defenses." Remy's emotional struggle caused his heart to beat louder.

"Why not let him take me?" Remy whispered in an unguarded moment. "I can' stand de t'ought of you gettin' hurt 'cause of dis." Remy realized his mistake the moment Warren's angry eyes locked with his. "Forget I said dat," Remy whispered strangled. "Ain' t'inkin' straight."

"I never want to hear such nonsense again!" Warren shook his head in disbelief, but drew in his breath as the wolf growled, slowly getting to his feet again. Did that mean that the bastard was on his way back? Shit! "Rem?"

"It's him," Remy muttered calmly. "We'll fight him, cher," he promised, all thoughts of surrendering were gone. "I want to be wid you and only you…"

"Good." Warren shifted on the bed and pulled Remy with him. Determinedly, he swung his feet onto the floor and stood defensively next to his lover. "We'll find a way, love."

If only Remy shared that hope! But he knew the true extent of the Antiquary's power. He'd tried to escape before and had always paid a terrible prize for his rebelious streak. "Je t'aime," Remy whispered and grabbed hold of Warren's hand. No matter what happened next, he wouldn't let go.

The wolf stood rigid; ears low in his neck, teeth bared, yellow eyes flashing. Warren couldn't help but smile. "It's three against one," Warren said softly.

"Wolvie must sense him." Remy gathered the cards still left in his coat to use against his old nemesis.

A dark cloud took shape in front of the bed and Warren held on to his breath, recognizing their despised enemy. It was a blessing or a curse that he couldn't see the man's face? "Leave us alone!" Warren spat infuriated and spread his wings. He was grateful that one of the first things professor Xavier had taught him had been to manoeuvre in small spaces.

"Mine," the Antiquary's sharp voice emphasised. "I should have killed you when you were little."

Remy trembled violently, but then sneered, " Bâtard!" This man was responsible for most of his pain and now that the Antiquary was back, Remy felt lost and out of control.

Warren tried to come up with a plan, but the Antiquary blocked their escape route. Maybe they could leave via the window after shattering it. But Remy was right. The Antiquary had found them once and would find them again. This had to end here and now!

Remy charged two of his cards, knowing they couldn't possibly stop the Antiquary, but feeling the kinetic charge underneath his fingertips gave him a sense of safety.

"Call it back," the Antiquary demanded. "Call the wolf back!"

"No fucking way!" Warren suddenly realized that the Antiquary had had ample of opportunity to attack, but the sorcerer was still stalling. "Damn, it's Wolvie!" Warren realized. The wolf was keeping the Antiquary back! "Remy, get out! We'll stall him!" he whispered.

"Non, no more runnin'," Remy stated determinedly. "If you go down, we go down togeder. Can' live widout you, cher." His fear grew, urging him to throw the cards and he could no longer hold back.

"Not in here, Rem!" Warren warned Remy. The room was much too small! A bright explosion blinded them. Luckily, Remy's hand was in his and Warren pulled his lover into the corridor, while the wolf continued to keep the Antiquary at bay.

"Merde! What?" Remy whispered nervously as fire burned the air in the corridor. His heart pounded madly, afraid that the Antiquary summoned had help.

"Remy!" Jean-Luc exclaimed worried and he quickly moved towards his son. Behind him, following close was Logan, who looked slightly annoyed at the stench of sulphur all around them.

"You're safe, my son!"

"Poppa?" Remy's voice betrayed his disbelief. "Why? What? How?" Two possessive arms folded around Remy's waist and he found himself being pulled against Warren's chest. Suddenly, Remy was in a protective embrace. He noticed Jean-Luc's pleased look.

"Get Remy out of here, Warren," Jean-Luc ordered. "He is in dere, isn't he?"

"Yeah," Warren replied instead of Remy, who still looked stunned. "And the bastard wants Remy."

"I'll deal with him."

Remy blinked his eyes as a third person appeared in the corridor and he flinched involuntarily, seeing the flaming red eyes. "Who are you?" he whispered, fighting his apprehension.

Daimon grinned. "A friend… " Ignoring everyone, he marched into the bedroom. "Time to send someone to Hell," he announced smugly.

"Take the kid into the livin' room and stay there!" Logan pushed Warren and Remy towards the staircase and followed Jean-Luc and Daimon inside. He didn't want Remy to see this, didn't want to add to the nightmares. They'd take care of this bogie man.

"Ange? Cher?" Remy protested as Warren guided him down the stairs. Remy felt numb, like his mind was slowly shutting down.

"Sit down, Rem." Warren joined him on the couch. Although he was dying to find out what was happening in the bedroom, he couldn't leave Remy. His lover needed the reassurance, his closeness. "Your father is right, love. This is their fight, not yours. You need to heal. Killing the Antiquary won't make the hurt go away. It will only make you hate yourself."

"When did you get dis wise, cher?" Remy whispered shakily. His lover was right. Ending his nemesis' life would only add to his load of nightmares and he didn't need them. Remy wanted to forget about the pain and ugliness, needed to focus on Warren's love instead. "Mais I feel like a coward."

"You're not, love. You're my hero for letting them do this. Just stay with me and keep me safe, love?" Warren added mischievously, trying to distract his lover and it worked.

"Will always keep you safe, cher," Remy promised, but shivered as screams and explosions echoed from their bedroom. Wrapped up in each other's arm they bided their time.

///

A diabolical grin was glued to Daimon's face. "You really don't know who I am," he realized pleased. Good, this would be so much fun!

The Antiquary's voice sounded edgy and puzzled as he spoke next. "I have no business with you, move away!"

"Non!" Jean-Luc shook his head. "I should have done dis 23 years ago! Instead, I let you hurt Remy!"

Logan moved into place beside Jean-Luc, claws extended and flashing in the moonlight. "Can I gut him now?" he whispered ominously.

"He's mine," Daimon stated, leaving no room for doubt. "Your claws won't hurt him."

"Lemme try," Logan hissed, filled with anger and blood lust now that he faced the man who'd hurt one of his friends.

Hearing the primal rage in Logan's voice amused Daimon. "Stand back. I need to take care of this."

"Who are you?" The Antiquary's voice trembled… a first.

"My father gave you this power and I'll take it away." Daimon raised his trident, which leaked flames filled with unholy energy. Hellfire, the pure manifestation of Daimon's power. "I'm sending you home."

The Antiquary screamed in agony as the flames crawled across the floor, eating his robes, eating away his flesh. The Hellfire tore soul and body apart and the Antiquary's power faded to nothingness.

Jean-Luc truly enjoyed hearing the strangled yelp that followed. The Antiquary's eyes filled with unspeakable horrors as his soul prepared to travel to Hell.

The Antiquary's body combusted with Hellfire, stayed aflame for mere seconds and then black ashes hovered in the air, finally settling down onto the floor. His soul was lost forever, as it was impaled on Daimon's trident, riding the pain and horror, which would lead to Hell.

Daimon grinned smugly. Perfect torment awaited his victim once they'd arrive in Hell. There was no doubt in his mind that Jean-Luc and Logan could take care of Remy. His work here was done… for now.

Jean-Luc and Logan exchanged stunned glances as both Daimon and the Antiquary disappeared in front of their eyes. The distinct stench of sulphur was the only thing that remained as justice was finally done.

///

"Remy?" Jean-Luc almost stumbled down the stairs, eager to take his son into his arms. "It's over, petite," he whispered, instantly falling back into using the old verbal caress. "He's gone, Remy, forever."

Warren assisted his lover as Remy struggled to his feet. It'd taken him all this time to calm Remy down and now Jean-Luc's words caused another attack of nervous frenzy. "Love? Jean-Luc said it's okay. Don't do this." Soothingly, he rubbed his lover's back and then allowed Jean-Luc to wrap his arms around Remy.

"How can dat be?" Remy looked up pleadingly, feeling safe and sheltered in his father's arms. "We can' hurt him."

"We couldn't," Logan confirmed, "But our red-eyed friend took care of our problem. The Antiquary is in Hell where he belongs." He retracted his claws, uncovered a cigar and enjoyed the first inhale of tobacco. He made himself comfortable on the couch and rested his feet on the coffee table.

Jean-Luc sought out Warren's eyes. "I need to talk to Remy in private." Mon Dieu! There was so much to say, so much to confess! Hopefully, Remy could forgive him!

"Can we go outside?" Remy suggested in a pleading tone. He had to get out of here now that the Antiquary had defiled the house.

"Mais oui," Jean-Luc gave in and grabbed a coat. "Let's talk outside."

"You goin' to stay close, cher?" Remy gave Warren a probing look.

"Call, and I'll be there," Warren reassured Remy and watched them step outside. Only now he realized that the wolf had followed them downstairs and was now eyeing Logan suspiciously. Logan in turn gave the canine a hard look, almost bearing his teeth. "Logan! Behave! Wolvie saved our lives the first time the bastard showed up!'

"Wolvie?" Logan repeated in a condescending tone. "Wolvie? That's just fuckin' great!"

///

Remy continued to walk and then dropped onto the cold, damp ground, resting his back against the trunk of a tree. "Is it really over?" he asked, looking up at Jean-Luc, his voice begging for the truth.

"It is, my son."

"Who was dat man? Wid de red eyes?" Remy muttered embarrassed, terrified for inexplicable reasons. Seeing those red eyes had scared the hell out of him.

"Daimon Hellstorm," Jean-Luc replied. Seeing no recognition in his son's eyes he added carefully. "He says he is Satan's son…"

Remy flinched. "De devil? Mon Dieu…" His old fear resurfaced. Could it be that…? "Am I related to him?" he asked helplessly. "De eyes."

"Non," Jean-Luc sat down next to Remy and took hold of his son's hand, rubbing it. "He told me some things…"

"What t'ings?" Remy was scared to ask, but the look in Jean-Luc's eyes was encouraging.

"Dere's so much I need to tell you, petite and I fear you'll hate me eventually."

"Never!" Remy promised passionately. "Will never hate you, poppa."

"Remy, you don't know…"

"What?" This time it was Remy who turned Jean-Luc's hand in his so he could caress the palm with soothing strokes. Have got to be strong now. I always knew we would have dis talk one day, mais why now? I feel fucked up and too tired to deal wid dis! But knowing this had to come in to the open, he nodded his head.

"Remy…" Jean-Luc swallowed hard. Could he really do this? Could he tell Remy the horrible truth? Admit his ultimate failure? He threw back his head in defeat, knowing there was no way out.

"Poppa?" Getting concerned, Remy moved a little closer. He had never seen Jean-Luc this upset, never. Not even that night when he'd gone to his father's room to test him by offering himself to Jean-Luc.

"De Antiquary," Jean-Luc started with distinct discomfort in his voice, "ordered me to steal you from de hospital, Remy." He couldn't bear to look into his son's eyes, fearing loathing and hate. "My wife was very ill and Henri needed her so much. De Antiquary promised to heal her if only I handed you over to him. I did his bidding. I stole you and delivered you into his hands. I'm so sorry, Remy." His voice failed him in the end and tears formed in his eyes. Remy hadn't spoken yet, but suddenly he realized that his son's agile fingers were still rubbing his knuckles, something he'd never expected. "Remy?" Finally, Jean-Luc found the courage to face his son. "Petite?" Oh, he knew he lost the right to call Remy that, but he clung to the hope that his son would forgive him.

Taking a deep breath, Remy plunged right ahead. "I've always known dat, poppa."

"What?" Jean-Luc jumped to his feet, shaking off Remy's hand. Standing rigid, he stared into sad red on black eyes. "What did you say?" He must have misheard! Had Remy really said that…?

"I've always known dat you gave me to him," Remy whispered, lowering his eyes. His fingers fumbled the fabric of his coat. His newly discovered power told him how upset Jean-Luc really was.

"Impossible!" Jean-Luc backed a few steps away from Remy, eyes wild, wringing his hands nervously. "Dere's no way you can know…"

Slowly, Remy rose to his feet. His eyes peeked at Jean-Luc's. He desperately wanted to close the distance between them, but Jean-Luc wouldn't let him. They had to talk this through first. "De Antiquary told me," he admitted in a calm tone.

"He did what?" Jean-Luc called out in distress. "He told you?" Did his heart still beat? Was blood still flowing through his veins? Jean-Luc felt paralysed. "De bastard!" His rage exploded and he slammed his fist into the tree trunk. Mon Dieu, it hurt and it was just what he needed to ground him to reality. "De bastard told you? What did he tell you?"

"When I was… 5?" Remy looked up questioningly. "You came to talk to him."

"Oui," Jean-Luc realized with a start. "I was determined to get you out of dere."

"He had me in de back room." Remy cradled Jean-Luc's bruised hand in his. "When you left, he…" Remy wavered briefly, "he told me dat you were de reason why I was livin' wid him."

"Merde!" Jean-Luc's eyes grew unfocused at hearing this admission. He'd never realized just how badly he'd fucked up back then! "Mais…"

Remy read the questions in his father's eyes and fatigued, he continued his explanation. "I hated you. Hated you every time he hurt me and den… I managed to get 'way from him and ran. I ended up on de streets, mais you know dat."

"Picking my pocket was no coincidence?" And damn! He'd always thought he'd set Remy up and now it turned out to be the other way around? He couldn't believe this!

Remy shrugged his shoulders. "I didn' recognize you at first. It was years since I saw you and when I realized who you were it was too late." Remy licked his lips and sighed. "I was so afraid… I hated you for years and den suddenly you took me in. I didn' know what to make of dat."

Sudden understanding flashed in Jean-Luc's eyes. "You thought I was just like him?" Inwardly, his emotions raged, his anger foamed.

"Oui." Remy coughed nervously to rid himself of the lump in his throat. "T'ought you wanted to hurt me like he did for years. Had no reason to believe you meant well."

"Merde!" Jean-Luc leaned against the tree for support. "Dat's why you were so scared?" Everything fell into place now.

"When you didn' try anyt'in', it confused me. I expected you to… you know, do t'ings to me and when you didn'…" Suddenly, Remy realized Jean-Luc was crying. "Don'," he whispered, "You saved my life."

"I can't believe dis!" Shocked, Jean-Luc looked into forgiving eyes, filled with unspeakable love.

"Took me a long time to understand dat de Antiquary just tried to scare me, to keep me from runnin' away." Remy released a chocked sigh. "Took me even longer to trust you."

"Dat night…" Jean-Luc still remembered it vividly; Remy coming up to his room, willing to surrender to his every whim. "You tested me dat night!"

Remy smiled weakly. "You never touched me like he did. You never pushed or forced me to do t'ings I was scared of… I hoped you were for real, mais I had to make sure."

"And I passed your test?" Jean-Luc didn't bother to wipe away the tears that flowed down his cheeks.

"Oui, you did." Remy's smile grew more lucid. "I was so scared you would hurt me, mais instead you just held me all night long, telling me I was safe. I finally realized I could trust you. I'll always trust you."

The sheer sincerity in Remy's tone made Jean-Luc choke up. "Petite," he whispered affectionately. "I… will never forgive myself for giving into his demands. I destroyed your life… took you away from your parents…" Remy flinched and it hurt to see the expression in the younger man's eyes.

"I forgave you dat night, poppa. Now, it's time to forgive yourself." Remy could barely bear the sadness and self-loathing in Jean-Luc's eyes. "He played you. I know dat now. Forgive yourself, poppa."

"I can't," Jean-Luc stated. "Not yet." The pain was too deep. How the hell could Remy forgive him for screwing up his life?

"You love me, poppa. It's bien," Remy whispered soothingly and wrapped himself in Jean-Luc's arms. "Please hold me like you used to?"

"Mon Dieu," Jean-Luc choked out, struggling for breath and returned the embrace, returned the trust and nearly drowned in Remy's love, which suddenly covered him like a warm blanket. "You're mon ange, petite." The words reminded Jean-Luc of another thing he had to tell Remy, but he couldn't do that now, couldn't tell Remy about his special soul. Later, I'll tell Remy later. Now I need to hold him. He forgives me… Mon Dieu, he forgives me…

///

Warren was surprised to find that the silence that had settled onto the room didn't feel uncomfortable at all. Actually, it was amusing to see Logan and the wolf try to stare each other into submission. It was a draw, as they both refused to give up. "Are you and Jean-Luc going to stay for a while? I think Remy would like that," Warren asked curiously, realizing that he would like them to stay too.

"Ain't sure, Wings," Logan grumbled, displeased that the wolf still maintained eye contact. He started to like the canine; it had guts. He also clearly remembered the fact that the wolf had done his best to fight off the Antiquary.

"You're more than welcome here," Warren assured Logan. It was the truth. Being with Remy had put him more in touch with his own true feelings and damn… I love you for it, Rem!

Growing uneasy, Logan continued to stare at the wolf. "Yer doin' a great job with Remy, Wings."

"Thanks, but Rem is doing most of the work. I can't believe I ever hated him." Warren peeked outside and his heart leaped in his chest, seeing the two Cajuns hug tightly. "Remy needs his father right now."

Logan blinked… and so did the wolf. Logan cocked his head, so did the wolf. "The little…" Logan swallowed his next word, as the wolf strolled over to him, still studying him. "Impressive," Logan whispered at the wolf. "Ya keep them safe, ya hear?" It almost looked like the wolf nodded his head and Logan broke the connection. "There are some things ya don't know, Wings. Remy will tell ya. He's going to need yer support." Logan followed the direction of Warren's glance and smiled, as Jean-Luc and Remy returnedto the house. "We won't stay long, Wings. Maybe the night, but… I need to take care of some things." Like finally talkin' to the Cajun about our relationship. It was important he found out where they stood, especially since learning about the death of Jean-Luc's wife.

///

Jean-Luc still couldn't believe how forgiving Remy was. Couldn't believe the amount of love reflected in those red eyes. Just before they arrived at the doorstep, he stopped Remy. "If you want to find your parents, son… I'll help you… If you want my help."

Briefly, Remy wavered. "Non," he said eventually. "You're all de family I need. You and ange. I don' want to drag de past into de present."

Jean-Luc accepted his son's decision and then made another important one of his own. "Mebbe Logan can be part of de family too?"

A wicked smile flashed in Remy's eyes. "I had dis feelin', mais…" His smile erupted into sweet laughter. "You love him?"

"Oui," Jean-Luc admitted in a heartbeat.

"I'm happy for you, poppa."

And then Remy did something that took away Jean-Luc's last remnants of pain and quilt. Remy placed a gentle kiss on his brow. Mon Dieu, I did dat every time he came to me, crying and hurting…

"Are you goin' to stay?" Remy opened the door, eager to return to his lover.

"De night? If dat's okay with you?" Jean-Luc felt terribly light-headed. A horrible burden had been lifted from his shoulders. A burden he'd carried too long. "It's been too many years since I had some Guinness. I've got a feeling dat Logan might join me for a beer or two in Dublin. You had de right idea, petite. Being out here with de one you love is… heaven." Merde! I still need to tell him! Every time Jean-Luc thought of heaven or angels his thoughts returned to his son.

Remy smiled as the wolf walked up to him, giving him a determined look as if to make sure he was fine. "Mon ami, merci again." The wolf had defended him twice against the Antiquary. For a brief moment, it felt like a wave of amusement flowed into his mind, like the wolf was saying; 'you're welcome.' Remy shook his head, still enjoying the wave of amusement. "Dis is so weird."

"What is?" Logan ventured and gracefully accepted the coffee Warren had just brought into the living room. Logan was stunned to realize how much Warren had mellowed. There's hardly any trace left of Mr. Angry. Must be the kid's doin'.

Jean-Luc warmed his hands on his mug. "Oui, what is?"

"Since a few days, I…" Remy hesitated. "I let go of de charm…"

"Magic," Warren corrected Remy in a mocking berating tone. "Magic."

"Remy?" Jean-Luc looked up, confused. As long as he could remember losing control of his charm had been Remy's biggest fear. Remy's eyes revealed wonder and Jean-Luc kept quiet to give his son a chance to reply.

"Warren didn' jump me, poppa. De Antiquary lied… de charm didn' make him hurt me. He was just a sick bastard!" Remy lowered his eyes, staring at his hands. A moment later, Warren's right hand sneaked into his, squeezing them gently.

"Magic…"

The voice startled Remy and he leaped to his feet. "Who?" Then he remembered what Jean-Luc had told him; Daimon Hellstorm was the son of Satan and the man now stood in his living room. Something flared in Remy's mind and he swayed on his feet.

Concerned, Warren pulled Remy back onto the couch, disliking the sudden paleness. "Rem?"

"Don't worry," Daimon said, keeping his distance. His trident was gone. His eyes were still red, but no longer aflame. "It's an instinctive reaction to evil."

Confused, Remy looked at the stranger, whose eyes seemed so fucking familiar! "Evil? You? Mais you fought him…"

Daimon's smug grin returned. "And he'll remain in Hell, paying for what he did."

"Hell?" Remy squeezed Warren's hand. "Poppa told me dat… dat we're not…"

Warren watched the exchange closely. Logan had filled him in on Daimon's identity and his reason for being here. As far as Warren was concerned the Antiquary had gotten what he deserved.

"We're not brothers," Daimon replied, knowing only too well what question haunted the young Cajun. "Maybe the Antiquary mistook you for me. I don't know." Daimon made his decision and walked up to Remy, whose shivers grew more intense the closer Daimon got. Daimon extended his hand. He wasn't going to tell Remy how special his soul was, but he wanted that angelic part of Remy's soul to fully awaken.

Remy's hand trembled, but he put it into Daimon's. Briefly, it felt like a bolt of lighting ran through his body, but as sudden as it'd started, it was gone.

Daimon nodded his head. "I'm done here. You've got to figure out the rest yourself, Remiel… Remy."

Hearing that name Remy's eyes grew big. "How do you know…?"

"You'll find your answers like I did," Daimon assured Remy and then looked at Jean-Luc and Logan. "Do you want me to drop you off some place?"

Jean-Luc quickly shook his head. He'd disliked traveling the dark dimensions Daimon had used to get them here.

"Good." Daimon turned up the collar of his long cloak and walked towards the doorway. Looking over his shoulder one last time, he realized that this time he'd managed to defeat evil.

///

"I ain' sure I can go back in dere," Remy said softly, standing in the front of their bedroom.

Jean-Luc and Logan who were on their way to their assigned bedroom halted in their tracks, about to offer to switch rooms, when Warren locked eyes with them.

"I can deal with this. See you guys in the morning," Warren assured them.

Jean-Luc was reluctant to leave, seeing the hurt in his son's eyes, but Logan quickly pulled him inside.

"Wings is right. Give him a chance. It's time to let Warren take over," Logan chided Jean-Luc softly and closed the door. "They'll be fine."

Jean-Luc walked over to the single bed and sat down, feeling emotionally drained.

Logan pushed his single bed towards Jean-Luc's. Satisfied that it could pass for a twin bed he sat down next to his lover. "Wanna talk?"

"We probably should," Jean-Luc realized and lay down on his back, staring at the ceiling. "I avoided talking about us for too long."

Pleased, Logan dropped onto the bed as well and joined his lover in staring at the ceiling. "Us?" He hoped Jean-Luc had made up his mind and was really ready to address this.

"You deserve to know what's going on," Jean-Luc clarified and turned onto his side so he could study Logan's facial expression. "I'm sorry I never told you about my wife."

"Did ya love her?" Logan mirrored Jean-Luc's earlier move and rolled onto his side as well. Slowly, he lifted his right hand and rested it on the Cajun's hip.

"Oui, I loved Louise." Jean-Luc closed his eyes and thought back. "We were happy until an assassin decided to plunge a blade through her lungs. She was dying. De potion of eternal life was useless and de Antiquary was de only one who could have saved her with his magic."

"But she died," Logan summarized and noticed the agony in his lover's eyes as they locked with his.

Jean-Luc drew in a deep breath. "Since losing Louise I never considered getting into a serious relationship again. I didn't want to get hurt like dat ever again."

"But life is like that," Logan pointed out to him. "It'll kick yer ass time and time 'gain. "

"I know… I realized dat when I met you," Jean-Luc admitted teasingly and rested his hand on Logan's chest, relishing the soft heartbeat underneath his fingertips. "At first I thought it was all about lust."

"Me too," Logan interrupted. "But ya know we have been foolin' ourselves."

"Oui, it's more. D'accoord." Jean-Luc moved a little closer and sneaked his hand across Logan's waist to pull his lover closer to his chest. "I told Remy you're part of de family now… or did I speak too soon?"

"No," Logan sneaked his right hand along Jean-Luc's body and it came to rest on the Cajun's lower back. "Yer right. I kinda hoped we would try and make this work for the long run. How did the kid react?" Logan would be surprised if Remy had serious problems with them being lovers, but you never knew. We're talkin' 'bout his dad here.

"Remy told me he's happy for me." Jean-Luc looked into his lover's eyes. "What are we going to do next? I don't want to go back to N'Arlings."

"I ain't in no hurry to return to Westchester either. Maybe we can get us some bikes and travel? I would like that. It's been a while since I did that."

"Sounds great," Jean-Luc whispered and closed his eyes. "I just feel so tired."

"We've been through some rough times, Cajun. Why don't we get some sleep? It's…" Logan looked at the clock, "04.32. We'll decide what to do in the mornin'."

Jean-Luc nuzzled his lover's neck. "I can't believe everything turned out dis right."

"Ya better believe it, darlin'." Logan pulled up the comforter and covered their bodies with it, keeping them warm. Using his heightened hearing he listened to the exchange going on in the corridor.

"Rem?" Warren had been patient, trying to understand his lover's hesitance to re-enter their bedroom. Warren looked down at Wolvie, who also seemed annoyed at Remy's reluctance. The sulphur was gone and as Warren opened the door he saw nothing that reminded him of the Antiquary's presence.

"I don' want to back in dere," Remy repeated in a strangled tone.

"He's gone, Rem and won't be back," Warren said reassuringly. "You're safe."

Remy's eyes pleaded for understanding. "Rationally, I know dat, mais…"

"You're still upset." Warren folded his arms around his lover's waist. "We can move to the third bedroom in the attic," he offered, trying a different approach. "But I would hate to see the bastard win this one. That's our bed, Rem and Wolvie's is in the corner. Are you going to let him take that away from us? I held you during the night in that bed. I want to do that again."

"I hate it when you do dat," Remy whispered softly.

But Warren heard the amused tone in his lover's voice. "Come on, love," he said and stepped inside, pulling Remy along with him. The fragrance of lilies was back, but Warren wanted to smell roses. He was starting to figure out which fragrance went with which mood and roses stood for passion and arousal.

Remy let Warren. His eyes quickly searched the room. Yes, the bed was a mess, but no trace of the Antiquary had remained behind. Slowly, he collapsed onto the bed. "Can' believe dis nightmare is over," he admitted and watched detached as Warren pushed him into the centre of the bed. Within moments, Warren was lying next to him, warming his body and cradling Remy's face in his hands. "What did I do to deserve you?" Remy whispered lost.

Warren smiled warmly, realizing Remy didn't really expect an answer. "I love you, crazy Cajun."

"Just hold me tonight?" Remy requested and melted into the embrace. Warm blue skin twitched underneath his fingertips as Remy teased a rock hard nipple through the fabric of the shirt.

"You're a tease, Rem," Warren moaned, as he got hard. "Stop that."

Remy raised his head and kissed his lover's lips. "You know… I'm startin' to believe dat dis might be forever. De two of us," he added, seeing Warren's draped expression. "I know you told me, mais…"

"It's okay, Rem," Warren soothed his lover. "Think you can get some sleep?" Cuddling up to his lover underneath the comforter, he simply enjoyed holding the Cajun close.

"Ange?" Remy felt incredibly at ease.

"Yeah?" Warren locked eyes with Remy and saw the mischief lurking there.

"Poppa and Logan are lovers."

"What?" Warren exclaimed, quickly lowering his voice. "What?" He'd never expected that one!

"Poppa told me. I t'ink dey are right for each oder." Remy let go of his worries and surrendered to his lover's warmth. "He deserves someone who loves him, ange. He's been 'lone for too long."

"Well, if you're okay with them being together…" Warren thought it over. "But I never knew Logan liked men."

"I never t'ought you liked crazy Cajuns!" Remy countered, slowly dozing off.

"Only one crazy Cajun," Warren corrected him affectionately. Remy's breathing slowed down and a steady heartbeat filled Warren's ears. "No more nightmares, Rem. I promise." Only then he realized that something heavy had settled down on their feet. He cocked his head and grinned, seeing the wolf lying down at the foot end of their bed. "That wasn't part of the deal," Warren said jokingly. The wolf ignored him and closed his eyes. Still grinning, Warren whispered, "We might need a bigger bed."

///

Logan woke when the first beams of sunlight filled their room. Instinctively, his eyes probed Jean-Luc's face, but the Cajun was still soundly asleep. Musta been exhausted. Carefully, Warren disentangled his body from his lover's and walked towards the bathroom.

"Where you goin, cher?" Jean-Luc mumbled sleepily.

"Go back to sleep, Cajun. Just takin' a shower and then I'll prepare breakfast."

Jean-Luc moaned approvingly and closed his eyes again. He'd had such a nice dream about Logan, handcuffs and…

Logan showered quickly and changed into some sweats, which he'd found in the dresser. As he made his way downstairs, Logan suddenly realized that someone had beaten him to the kitchen. He smelled coffee, bacon and eggs, toast and a number of other delicious and mouth-watering aromas. But what was that one smell about? Flowers? "Yer up early, kid."

Remy didn't bother to turn around. "Warren's still in de shower. I wanted to get breakfast ready." Remy filled four glasses with orange juice and put them on the table. "I never t'anked you for comin' to de rescue," he said awkwardly.

Logan growled softly and helped himself to some buttered toast. "Forget about it. Why don't ya tell me how yer doin'? Ya look like yer gainin' weight."

"Warren's stuffing me wid pizza and popcorn," Remy replied teasingly. Only hesitantly he made eye contact. "You love poppa?"

"Yeah." Logan answered the probing glance. "I do."

Remy sensed the sincerity in those words and his new powers told Remy that the Canadian was really determined to make this work. "I'm glad…"

"Thanks, means a lot me that ya approve," Logan admitted honestly.

"Are you still goin' to leave later today?" Remy sat down at the table and played around with the fork. He didn't want them to leave yet.

"Yeah, look kid." Logan joined Remy at the table and waited until Remy felt confident enough to meet his gaze. "Ya talked things through with Jean-Luc. Right now ya need to be with Warren."

Remy knew Logan had a valid point, but… "I still can' believe he left N'Awlings like dat. What 'bout de Guild?"

"He didn't tell ya?" Logan felt a sinking sensation in his stomach. "He stepped down as Patriarch."

"Merde!" Remy's shock showed in his eyes. "He did what?"

"Remy." Jean-Luc hurried into the kitchen; annoyed that Logan had brought this up now. It was a good thing he'd just been on his way to talk to his son.

"Why did you do dat?" Remy remained seated, not trusting his legs to hold him right now.

"I should have resigned years ago. I always put de Guild first. Another mistake." Jean-Luc straddled the chair next to Remy and gathered his son's hand in his. "Now dat I have Logan I want to start all over again."

"You didn' quit because of me?" Remy felt relieved. He didn't want to be the reason for such a drastic decision.

"Partly," Jean-Luc confessed. "But I realized dat I wanted a life. A real life. The Guild's been my life for too long. It consumed me."

Slightly reassured, Remy peeked at his father's eyes. "What are you goin' to do now? Stay?"

"Non, petite. You and Warren got a lot of issues to work out. I would only be in your way, mais, and I want you to know dis… should you need me I will be dere."

"Merci," Remy whispered touched.

"I'm hungry," Logan announced, trying to break the tension and helped himself to a serving of bacon and eggs.

"You'll say good-bye before you leave?" Remy got to his feet to tell Warren that breakfast was ready.

"We will. Don't worry, petite," Jean-Luc assured Remy and he kicked Logan's shinbone underneath the table to express his annoyance at the not so subtle attempt to distract Remy.

Logan looked up, almost choking on his bacon and eggs. His eyes narrowed as he rubbed his leg. "Yer gettin' an attitude, babe."

"Non, I always had one," Jean-Luc laughed.

///

"Cher?" Remy walked up to his lover who sat behind the laptop. "Breakfast is ready."

"Just a moment, love."

Remy came to a standstill behind Warren and allowed his fingers to play with the still damp golden hair. Warren's wings shone with moisture and he couldn't help but straighten out a few feathers. "What you doin'?"

Warren rested his head against his lover's belly and looked up, finding sparkling eyes. "You should read Bobby's message."

Feeling nervous for no apparent reason, Remy looked down pleadingly. "Can' it wait? Poppa is leavin' shortly and…"

"Read it, love," Warren said and smiled brilliantly as his lover bent down to kiss his lips. "You smell great, Rem. Roses." Oh, how he loved that fragrance!

Remy allowed himself the luxury of exploring his lover's mouth a moment longer and then released Warren's lips. His hands started to massage his lover's neck as Remy stared at the screen. Bobby's message shocked him. "Why? Why is Cyke upset?"

Warren peeked at their guests, who were already eating breakfast. He pulled Remy onto his lap and wrapped an arm around his lover, also brushing a stray lock from Remy's face. "I do know that Bobby has some great instincts when it comes down to people's emotions. If Bobby says Scott's this upset, I believe him."

"You have always been friends wid Bobby and Cyke," Remy said softly. "I never felt accepted like dat." Surprised, he realized what had just slipped out.

Warren licked his lips. "Maybe you need to trust me on this and take a risk."

Suddenly, Remy felt depressed. "Can' imagine Cyke bein' upset because of me."

"Why don't you answer Bobby's message and then join us for breakfast?" Warren said diplomatically and slipped away from his love so Remy now sat in front of the screen. "I know you'll make the right decision, love."

"Your trust in me still surprises me," Remy whispered in an unguarded moment.

"I trust you with my life," Warren replied and pressed one more kiss on Remy's lips. "And trust your gut instinct on this, love." After sighing deeply, he left his lover behind the laptop, hoping Remy would trust Bobby's judgement.

For long moments Remy stared at the screen. Please. Bobby says please let me tell Scott. What's wrong wid Cyke? Torn, his fingertips remained motionless on the keyboard. Telling Bobby to go ahead and talk to Scott kind of scared him. He hadn't told Warren yet, but Remy didn't plan on ever re-joining the X-Men. He didn't want to have anything to do with them anymore. They'd hurt him too badly. But what if he gave Bobby permission to tell Scott? Cyke still wouldn't know where to find him. He'd still be safe. Mais Warren is right. Bobby does sound upset. Biting his lip, Remy tried to reach a decision. In the end he did and quickly typed his message, sent it and fled from the laptop. The look Warren gave him didn't elude Remy and he hesitantly nodded his head. "Oui, told Bobby to do it."

Pleased, Warren smiled. "Here, I saved this for you. Logan almost ate it all." Warren moved the last portion of bacon and eggs over onto Remy's plate.

"What 'bout Wolvie?" Remy asked concerned.

Logan snorted disapprovingly, but didn't speak, too much enjoying his morning coffee.

"I already checked on his injury and fed him," Warren informed his lover. "He was scratching the door so I let him go outside."

"Did he come back yet?" Remy asked, hoping the wolf had. He liked the canine.

"Yeah, he climbed back into our bed." Warren smiled weakly. "We need to find a solution for that. Bed is not big enough for the three of us."

Feeling at peace with the world Remy took his first bite of bacon and eggs and then drowned his orange juice. He'd never felt this happy before.

Westchester.

"You've got mail," the computerized voice announced.

Bobby ran over to his computer and checked the name of the sender. It was Warren's addy all right. "Okay, now let this be good news," he whispered. "Scott needs some good news." Bobby was seriously worried. During the last 48 hours Scott had slipped into some sort of depression that had them all worried. Well, it's understandable after all. Slim is so used to keeping up his fearless leader front and now that it has slipped all this shit is throwing him hard.

-----Original Message-----

From: WWorthington@Enterprises.com

Sent: Tuesday 16 January 10:37

To: Bluefurryballs@hotmail.com

Subject: Remy

Bobby,

I never planned on anyone finding out that I'm still alive. Ange told me that you figured that one out yourself so I can't blame him for that. If Cyke is really that upset… You've got my permission to tell him that I am still alive, but listen mon ami, only Cyke! No one else. I don't want them to know, you understand? I am not ready for that yet. I hope you'll respect my wishes, if not I am screwed.

Remy

Entranced, Bobby stared at the words. Fuck, Remy had written that himself! Bobby got up from his chair and started pacing the room. This was the first time that he really realized what had happened to the Cajun in Antarctica. "We hurt him…" But he had permission to tell Scott, just what he'd wanted. "Remy, Jean's a telepath. How do you think Scott can keep her from finding out? How can I do this?" After long minutes of pacing, Bobby realized that he didn't really have a choice. He forced himself to calm down and then left his room in search of Scott.

///

"Scott? You've got to eat." Concerned, Hank pointed at the food on the table. "You skipped dinner last night and breakfast this morning. Frankly, my friend, I'm worried."

"No need to worry." Scott's voice was raspy. "I'll be fine in a few days. Just back off."

Jean and Hank exchanged concerned looks. This isn't like Scott, Jean sent into Hank's mind. For some reason this is really eating him/

Jean, think about it, Hank replied, using the temporary link. He gained and lost a brother at the same time. You know how important family is to him.

Jean nodded her head. Hank was right of course. "But Scott, please eat something."

"Jean." Scott smiled for the first time in hours. "I know you're worried, but there's nothing you can do. I need to do this myself. Would you two please leave me alone? I need to think."

Sensing his determination she gave in. "But you know where to find me if you need to talk, sweety."

"I know," Scott assured her and pressed a gentle kiss on the back of her hand. "I love you, Jean, but you've got to let me do this my way."

Jean walked over to Hank, still concerned about her husband's unexpected emotional outburst. She'd never seen him this vulnerable before. Soundlessly, they left the living room.

Scott rested his head against the soft fabric of the headrest. Why hadn't hen see it? Why had it taken him so long to find out the truth? The papers he'd received in the mail were safely tucked away in his pocket. He wasn't sure what he'd do next, but h was determined to organize that memorial service and… should he contact Corsair and Alex? Tell them about their long lost family member?

Would Alex care? What about his father? Why hadn't Corsair told him about his younger brother? Probably because Corsair had thought Remy had died at birth. His mind spun and a terrible headache pounded near his temples. He hated feeling like this. It was the one reason why he kept his emotions locked away most of the time. He hated feeling hurt.

"Slim?"

Annoyed, Scott cocked his head to tell Bobby to leave him alone. Maybe he should leave instead, take the car and just drive away from this mess until he felt strong enough to lead this team again.

"Scott? We need to talk," Bobby said determinedly and threw a jacket into Scott's lap. "But not here. Come on, man!" Excitedly, he bounced through the room. When Scott didn't follow, he returned to the chair, pulled Scott to his feet, draped the jacket over his friend's shoulders and pulled Scott into the corridor. He ignored the disapproving glance Storm gave him and continued to drag Scott towards the door.

"What are you doing, Bobby?" Scott asked eventually, too tired to put up some resistance. He hadn't slept these last nights.

"Not here!" Bobby insisted and pulled Scott along until they'd reach the lake. "Okay, this will do." They sat down on a bench and Bobby's mentally reviewed several ways of telling Scott the good news.

"What's this about, Bobby?"

Scott's face mirrored exhaustion and Bobby swallowed hard. Oh yeah, Scott would be pissed because Bobby hadn't told him the truth earlier. But Bobby had to take that risk. "If got something to tell you."

Resigned, Scott waited for Bobby to continue. He just wanted everyone to back off.

"This morning I got a very important email message."

Scott shrugged his shoulders, uncertain how to react. What the hell was this about?

"It's from Warren. Remember when Warren dropped by and questioned Rogue about Remy?"

"How can I forget?" Scott murmured uncomfortably. "I should have questioned her when she got back from Antarctica. Another screw up."

"Man, don't be that hard on yourself! You're only human." Bobby didn't like the self-loathing in his friend's voice. "Warren had a reason to give Rogue the third degree." Bobby drew in a deep breath, mentally preparing himself for Scott's reaction. "Remy's still alive. He's with Warren."

"What? Bobby?" His tone was urgent and pleading. "Don't do this to me. Remy's dead."

"No, he isn't!" Bobby grabbed Scott's shoulders and shook him. "Remy survived!"

"He did?" Tone filled with disbelief, Scott freed himself of Bobby's hold.

Bobby stopped shaking his friend, relieved to hear a lucid tone for the first time in days. "Remy sent that message, telling me it was okay to tell you, but only you. He doesn't want anyone else to know that he's still alive."

Scott trembled violently as Bobby's words sunk in. "He's alive? My brother is alive?"

Bobby trembled himself hearing that second question. "Yeah, Scott. Your brother is alive."

"I can't…" Scott stared out over the lake. Part of him couldn't believe he could be this lucky. Another part raged. "And you didn't tell me? You knew in how much pain I was and you didn't tell me?"

Bobby remained calm. He'd expected this anger. Hell, he'd have been mad too. "I promised Warren and Remy to keep the secret. From what Warren told me Remy was in a bad way. He suffered from amnesia and didn't know who he was. I couldn't betray their trust."

Restlessly, Scott jumped to his feet and paced furiously. "Remy's alive. My brother is still alive…" Then he froze. "Where is he? I need to see him, talk to him!"

Growing uneasy, Bobby avoided Scott's eyes. "I don't know where they are. Warren mentioned going to Ireland, but that's it. I only got an email addy."

"Ireland," Scott repeated resolved. "Are you coming along?"

"Slim, you can't go to Ireland! You don’t know where to look and maybe they already moved on to another place." Bobby walked over to his friend, but quickly realized this was a lost cause. "I can email them. Maybe Remy will agree to talking to you."

"Stop wasting time, Bobby, get going!" Scott turned Bobby around and pushed him forward. "I'll get the Black Bird ready. I just need a moment here."

"Sure," Bobby whispered. "Are you okay, Slim?"

"More than okay." Scott smiled warmly. "I won't let my brother down ever again. You just make sure they tell you where they are."

"You can't tell anyone else, remember that," Bobby reminded Scott.

"I'll stay clear of the professor and Jean. I can do that for my brother," Scott quipped relieved. "I just want to talk to Remy and see for myself that he's fine."

As Bobby walked back to the mansion he wondered about Scott. Fierce emotions were bubbling out of Scott's soul and Bobby had a hard time recognizing his 'fearless leader'. However, he loved this more 'human' side to his friend and hoped Scott wouldn't go back to denying his feelings. Yeah, I definitely like this new and improved Scott.

///

Ireland

Awkwardly, Remy shuffled his feet. "Do you really have to go?"

"You know I have to, petite," Jean-Luc replied gently. "Thanks for letting us borrow de car."

Warren waved it away. "I'll just get another one. I've got connections over here."

"Poppa?" Remy embraced his father, relishing these last moments of familiar intimacy. "Keep in touch?"

"We will," Jean-Luc promised. "I'll keep an eye on my email and once you've settled down, you can give me de address and phone number. We'll visit."

Remy knew he had to let go, but felt frozen. Warren's hand settled down on his shoulder, reminding him he wouldn't be alone after his father had left. "Je t'aime, poppa."

"I love you too, petite," Jean-Luc whispered passionately. "And thank you for forgiving me."

Logan watched them closely and the moment Jean-Luc freed himself of Remy's arms, he walked up to the young Cajun. "I'll take care of him," he promised.

"I know you will," Remy whispered and his eyes followed Jean-Luc, who was getting into the car.

"I've been meanin' to tell you," Logan whispered teasingly. "You might wanna change yer cologne… ya smell of roses."

"My own portable air freshener," Warren said jokingly and loved hearing Remy giggle. "It's part of the package, Logan. Since he dropped his defences the flowery fragrance appeared. I love it."

Logan gave them a questioning look. Had Jean-Luc told Remy about the angelic part of his soul? Maybe it'd be better that Remy figured that one out himself. "Take care of them," he whispered, addressing the wolf.

"Wolvie…" Remy petted the wolf's head and sensed the canine's contentment.

Warren pulled his lover close to his chest, deeply inhaling the sweet fragrance clinging to Remy. "They will be back."

"I know dey will." Remy waved good-bye as the car took off. One last moment of eye contact with his father and they were gone. Finally, he could release his tears.

"Oh, Rem," Warren whispered into his lover's ear. "Don't do this. I can't bear it, seeing you cry."

"Tears of happiness," Remy assured him honestly as he turned around in the embrace. Facing his lover he asked, "Do you love me?"

"You know I do," Warren whispered and brushed Remy's lips. "Do you love me?"

"Oui," he breathed passionately. "I want to feel you, cher."

"Want to go inside?" Warren studied his lover's expression. "Want to take another step?"

"Oui." Remy nodded his head. "Mais I don' know how far I can go… not all de way. Not yet." Mon Dieu, he needed to feel Warren, needed to feel the feathers, the soft and smooth skin. "You set de pace, cher."

"Are you sure about that?" Questioningly, he observed Remy's avoiding eyes. "Or are you doing this because you're afraid I am going to leave you like Jean-Luc just did?"

Remy flinched.

"I'm right," Warren realized saddened. "Come on, Rem. We're going to cuddle instead. I want to hold you."

"Poppa gave you some of his books, non?"

"Yeah, he did." Warren led his lover back inside and showed the books in question to Remy.

"And you've been readin' dem?" Surprise colored Remy's voice.

"Yeah, I don't want to fuck this up, Rem. But he also gave me this for when we're ready to take that last step."

Curiously, Remy watched Warren uncover the book at the bottom of the pile. "De gay kama sutra?" he giggles.

Warren laughed warmly. "You wouldn't believe the positions in this book. Want to check them out together?"

"Sure." Remy leaned into the embrace as they sat down on the couch. The insecurity that had haunted him moments ago was gone. Warren wouldn't leave him. He didn't have to use sex to keep Warren from walking out on him. Remy was finally realizing that. "Sorry 'bout…"

"Don't apologize." Remy's progress pleased Warren. After they'd snuggled up to each other on the couch, he opened the book and couldn't help but blush. "What about this one?" Remy's head rested on his chest and Warren sensed the giggling before hearing it. "Maybe we should find something more suitable for our first time…"

Remy simply listened to his lover's heartbeat, relishing his warmth, the arm around his waist and relaxed. For the first time sex seemed like something he could really enjoy. Talking about it in this way took the edges of his fear. "I am flexible," he teased.

"I'm sure you are, but my wings might get in the way!" Warren countered and flipped the pages. "God, Remy. I love you." Words were terribly inadequate, so he pressed a kiss on the auburn locks. "And I promise we will take that next step when we're both ready."

"Merci, ange…" Remy whispered touched. "I don' know when I'll be ready, mais I will let you know."

"Good Cajun," Warren muttered teasingly. "And now, let's get back to our research."

Their joined laughter filled the living room and Wolvie sneaked upstairs again to hide underneath the covers…

///

I can watch you like this for the rest of my life. Warren sighed blissfully, cradling his lover's hand in his. It was late in the afternoon. They'd spent these last hours giggling over the kama sutra, trying to get their bodies in the right positions, -fully clothed of course-, but he had seen the bulge in Remy's jeans. Hopefully it's a good sign that we can joke about this. Warren fully realized how different their ideas about sex were, fed and controlled by earlier experiences. But at least he knows now that he doesn't have to offer me sex to make me stay. Took him long enough to figure that one out!

The couch was a little bit uncomfortable, but it was also the reason why he was spooned this closely against the body in front of him. Remy's locks teased his skin and his fingers caressed his lover's face. The fragrance of roses was overwhelming, telling Warren how relaxed Remy was. The gay kama sutra was on the floor, still open and he grinned seeing the acrobatic position displayed on the page. I want to see his face the first time we make love. He hadn't told Remy yet, but secretly he had been fantasizing about their first time. We'll have to talk about it, before we decide to take that step. About who's going to be on top. I'm scared shitless here, but let's be honest. Remy needs to be on top. I don't want risk hurting him or Remy experiencing flash backs because of the way I'm touching him.

"What are you t'inkin' 'bout, cher?" Remy whispered, eyes still closed.

"Our first time," Warren replied honestly. It hurt to feel Remy flinch. "Tell me, Rem. Do you ever fantasize about that?" He was treading on dangerous grounds, but refused to shy away from this topic. Remy shifted in his arms until they were face to face. Remy's eyes opened and Warren smiled reassuringly. "Well, do you?"

"Non." Remy lowered his eyes, afraid of disappointing his lover.

"I do… wanna know?" Warren gently stroked his lover's locks. "No pressure, love. I'm not telling you this because it's a hint of what I want to do. We'll decide that together. It's just my private fantasy."

"I never knew you fantasized 'bout… us in dat way," Remy admitted and opened his eyes. Warren's arms pulled him closer and he tangled his legs around his angel. "Tell me."

"Okay," Warren smiled privately. "We start out in the shower. First, I give you one hell of a blowjob and you almost pass out so I have to carry you to the bed. Next, I spend hours of exploring every inch of your body and I mean every inch!"

Remy blushed weakly.

"My tongue slowly sneaks down your chest and I tease your belly button." To reinforce his words, Warren's fingertip dipped into Remy's belly button and the Cajun giggled. "You're ticklish!"

"Oui." Feeling comfortable in his lover's arms Remy continued to listen. "What's next?"

"Then my tongue and lips return to worship your erection and man… you love it!" Warren laughed, feeling the giddy movement in his arms. "When you're begging me to finally make you cum my tongue teases against your entrance and when I dip inside you moan so deliciously that the sound alone makes me come!"

Remy's blush deepened. No one ever had talked about making love to him in that way. "Go on."

"You like my fantasy, huh?" Warren teased Remy, but obliges his lover. "This is my favorite part. You haven't come yet and you surprise me by rolling me onto my stomach. I spread my wings and capture you in them. I always get a hard on when I fantasize about you pushing one slick finger inside… What?" Surprised, Warren looked at his lover. Tears of merriment flowed down Remy's face.

"You've been lookin' too much at de pictures, cher," and Remy pointed at the gay kama sutra.

"Be a good Cajun and let me finish!" Warren demanded and returned the blush. Damn, he was already rock hard from just thinking about this. "Okay, where were we? Oh, one finger, right. Your tongue joins in and I'm completely at your mercy. You keep teasing me with a second and a third finger while I'm screaming at you to just make love to me!"

"You want me to take you?" Suddenly, all giddiness disappeared from Remy's tone.

"What? You don't like that idea?" Suddenly alarmed, Warren locked eyes with his lover. Warren didn't like the panicked expression.

"I've never done dat before, ange. I don' know how… if…" Lost for words, Remy fumbled the fabric of Warren's shirt. "Never been on top, cher. Would be easier if you just took me."

"Easier perhaps." Warren carefully chose his next words. "But would it be best for you?"

"For me?" Remy couldn't believe Warren was this worried about him. "I've been taken before, cher. I can deal wid it."

"Listen to yourself," Warren said firmly and he cupped Remy's chin in the palm of his hand. "Deal with it? Rem, I want you scream with ecstasy not with worry or pain!"

"Sorry, cher. I keep forgettin'…" Remy apologized. "No one ever wanted me to be in control before and I never t'ought you wanted dat."

"I'll be honest, Rem. I would like to reverse the roles once in a while when you're ready." Warren nuzzled his lover's throat, leaving gentle kisses behind on the soft skin. "But I really want you to take me on our first time together."

"Already picked a position, non?" Remy tried to recompose himself, reminding himself that things were different with Warren.

"You can pick it… but I might have some suggestions!" Warren kissed his lover's brow. "You want to mess around on the couch like teenagers?"

Remy grinned, hearing it phrased like that. "I do feel like dat, cher… like I'm discoverin' dis all over 'gain."

"So am I, Rem." Warren took hold of Remy's right hand and slipped it underneath his shirt, relishing his lover's touch. He moaned as Remy rolled a nipple between his fingertips. "I never had a lover like you."

"Someone dis screwed up, you mean." The words slipped from Remy's tongue. "Ange, I…" Remy wished he could take them back. He needed time to adjust to this huge change.

Warren saw the truth in his love's eyes. "You're beautiful, Rem. Inside and out and so incredibly intense."

Remy wondered about the question in Warren's blue eyes. His hands caressed his lover's smooth body and Remy whispered, "What?"

"I want to make you come… my way… Will you let me? Do you trust me?" Warren's heart beat frantically. Please say yes!

"How?" Remy hated asking it, but he had to know.

"I want to go down on you, love."

Remy gasped for breath hearing those words. "Your first time? You might not like it."

"I will tell you when I change my mind. Will you let me?"

Remy wavered. "What about me makin' you come?"

"Why don't we concentrate on your needs for once?" Warren suggested.

"I'm not used to bein' de centre of attention."

"Yes or no, Rem?"

"Oui," Remy gave in, feeling extremely nervous.

"Great!" Enthusiastically, Warren moved until he was kneeling in front of his lover and reached up to kiss Remy's lips. His hands snaked around Remy's waist and pulled him close. "You've got no idea how much it means to me that you trust me," Warren revealed in a choked tone. His hands moved underneath the fabric of Remy's shirt and caressed the skin there. Wickedly, he straddled his lover's lap.

"What are you doin', ange?" Mesmerized by the continued caress of his skin, Remy drowned in blue eyes as Warren suckled his lower lip. "Cher," he whispered breathlessly. In spite of the butterflies roaming his stomach he was growing hard and his erection pressed against the jeans, pleading for more attention.

"Trust me to take care of you, Rem," Warren pleaded almost solemnly. "I won't let you down." His right hand unzipped his lover's jeans and then stroked the revealed hardness. "Tell me, do you like me touching you like this?"

"Oui," Remy groaned his need. Warren's hand squeezed gently and pre- ejaculate leaked from his aching cock. "I trust you, ange."

Warren smiled. "Lift your hips for me, love." Remy obeyed and Warren quickly removed the Cajun's jeans and underwear. Returning to his previous position, he kneeled on the floor between Remy's spread legs. "You're beautiful." Surprised, Warren observed the return of his lover's blush. "You're perfect, love."

Eyes watering, Remy lifted a hand and caressed his lover's face. "You don' have to do dis, cher."

"I want to," Warren stated determinedly and rolled Remy's full sac in the palm of his hand. "I must warn you though. I've never done this before. You're my first."

Remy swallowed hard. "Shouldn' let you do dis."

"Why's dat?" Warren curled his fingers around his lover's erect cock and stroked teasingly. Warren smiled knowingly, as Remy was lost for words. "Why not let me find out myself?"

Speechless, Remy spread his legs a little more to better accommodate his lover. He yelped softly as Warren's tongue explored the tip of his cock.

Warren was more nervous than he wanted to admit, but for different reasons. Let's face it. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Following instinct, he teased the slit and continued to stroke in a slow rhythm. He didn't want Remy to come yet. He wanted to make this last.

Remy's eyes grew big as his lover's lips closed around his erection, slowly taking in more. "Cher?"

Warren looked up quickly, as the tone sounded odd. "What? I'm eating my favorite kind of flavour here… Strawberry. Yes," he whispered softly. "I'm thinking about licking an ice cone."

Remy chuckled softly. How could he not trust Warren? "You're doin' a great job." His back arched and Remy lifted his hips as Warren's wet lips returned, licking, nibbling and teasing him. "Not goin' to… last long, dis… way," Remy panted. Merde! His eyes almost popped out of their sockets when Warren sucked hard. Remy's toes curled and he couldn't help but stare at Warren's bobbing head.

Warren tried hard to concentrate on making Remy come, but couldn't help stealing a hand to his own groin, fisting himself furiously. Suddenly, his lover's cock pulsed in his hand and he wondered if he wanted to pull back or feel Remy's come flood his mouth. It wasn't that hard a choice. Feeling the Cajun tense up with orgasm, Warren wickedly sucked hard.

"Cher!" Remy's head reeled, his body was on fire, but he could only think of warning his lover that he was about to come, remembering the first time he'd gone down on the Antiquary and his fear of choking in the man's come. But suddenly Warren's left hand found his and his lover twined their fingers. "Cher," Remy whispered as he let go, staring entranced at his lover, who didn't pull back.

Too inexperienced at this particular activity too swallow much, Warren finally released the pulsating cock and reached orgasm himself with the taste of Remy's come on his lips.

Remy fell back against the couch, stroking his lover's hair. "Cher, come here," he whispered affectionately and pulled Warren next to him on the sofa. "You came too?" he realized surprised. Curiously, he couldn't help himself and gathered a drop of Warren's come on his finger, sniffing and then tasting it. It wasn't bitter at all, even sweet.

Tired, Warren leaned against his lover. "Wow…" he whispered. "Every time I come, I come harder!'

"Me too," Remy admitted and used his shirt to clean them off. "Merci, cher." Passionately, he kissed Warren's delicious lips.

Moving instinctively, Warren gathered Remy in his arms. "I didn't freak you out?" he asked and wiped the sweat of his lover's brow. "Man, you look hot."

Spent, Remy smiled. "Hot?"

"Yeah… I just hope making love won't kill us," he joked teasingly. "I liked doing that for you, could you tell?" A draped smile covered Remy's face and feeling contented, Warren straddled Remy's hips again.

"We’re goin' to be stuck," Remy pointed out to him, come still glued to their bellies.

"I don't mind being stuck to you," Warren whispered. His tongue was quickly allowed entrance and he explored Remy's mouth like he'd done that first time.

Remy gave in and deepened the kiss, suddenly realizing that Warren was snuggling up to him. In the end, Warren's head rested against his chest. "I like cuddlin'," Remy realized, a bit surprised.

"So do I." Warren enjoyed this post-sex cuddling. He wavered to speak the next words, but felt Remy would understand. "Bets never wanted to be held after we had sex. She would just leave the bed to take a shower and I felt… lost… disappointed. I love sex, I can't deny that, but I always wanted something more than just the physical act. I wanted the spiritual connection too."

Remy stroked the damp hair and released a strangled choke. "Please hold me?" he whispered, hoping to chase away Warren's remembered hurt.

"I'm already doing that, love," Warren chuckled, as distressing memories of less happier days quickly vanished. "Let you in on a secret. I also like to cuddle before making love."

Remy could no longer control his tears. "Mon Dieu," he whispered saddened and released his tears.

"Not again!" Warren looked up and cradled his lover's face in his hands. "What's wrong?"

"I always wanted it to be like dis. De Antiquary was a travesty… he just wanted to hurt me."

Fighting down his anger aimed at the Antiquary, Warren managed to regain his calm by taking deep breaths. "This is the way it should be. We're good for each other. We belong together and it will always be like this. No quick fuck, no taking without giving. We both know what we want and need."

His hands ran over Warren's feathers and Remy nodded his head. "One day I'll be ready to make love to you, cher," he promised in a guilty tone.

"Don’t feel guilty for needing more time, Rem. I'm surprising myself here. I never thought I would ever want to do this for another man, but, geeze, I love seeing you squirm and beg for more!"

"I didn't help you come," Remy said and looked into his lover's eyes.

"I would even have come without touching myself, Rem." Warren tucked his lover's head underneath his chin. "I don't know about you, but I worked up an appetite… What about a quick snack, a shower and then we'll indulge Wolvie and go for a walk?"

"Sure, cher… " Feeling incredibly blessed, Remy hugged his love close.

///

Dublin

"Guinness," Jean-Luc ordered for them and joined Logan in a dark corner of the pub. It'd only taken them two hours to get here and they'd already checked into a hotel. Now that everything was taken care of they could relax.

"I'm in the mood to get drunk," Logan growled dangerously. "Good thing the hotel is only five minutes away from here."

"Drunk?" Jean-Luc whispered disapprovingly and paid the waiter who dropped off their beer. "Keep it coming," he instructed the waiter and gave him a huge tip.

"Are yer joinin' me?" Logan swallowed down his first pint in one go. "I needed that!" Logan smoked one of his cigars. "Ya want one too?"

Jean-Luc accepted and moments later he exhaled the tobacco. "You really think dey will be fine?"

"Yeah, Wings and Remy will be just fine." Logan curled his fingers around the second pint of Guinness. "What are yer plans, Cajun?"

Jean-Luc leaned back and sipped from his glass. "We could stay here for a while and den head for de main land. Always wanted to go back to Paris."

"Don't steal any art work while we're there!" Logan warned him teasingly.

"I probably lost my touch years ago," Jean-Luc replied in a similar tone. "Don't get too drunk, Logan."

"Why is that?" Logan eyed him suspiciously, recognizing the expression in Jean-Luc's eyes. "What are ya up to, old man?"

This time," Jean-Luc laughed warmly. "I'll show you what dis 'old man' can still do."

Closely, Logan watched him uncover something from his pocket. "What's that? Hand cuffs?" He threw back his head in amusement. "Play with fire and ya might get burned. I might slap them onto yer wrists instead."

Jean-Luc just smiled smugly. "We'll see."

///

Westchester

Puzzled, Jean read the note again. It was from Scott, telling her that he'd had to leave the mansion, but that he'd be back once he'd taken care of business. She slumped onto a chair. "What's going on, Scott?" She'd tried reaching out to her husband, but Scott's shields were incredibly strong and she couldn't get passed them. Should she ask the professor to talk to Scott again? Eventually she decided against it. Whatever Scott had to do, he had chosen to do it without her.

///

"C'mon," Bobby whispered impatiently. He quickly wrote down the email addy and planned on contacting Remy and Warren from the Black Bird. Scott was already pacing the corridor, waiting for him to show up. "I can't let him leave on his own," Bobby realized and grabbed the piece of paper before hurrying out of his room.

"Are you ready?" Scott came to a stop.

"Yeah, but Scott, please reconsider. What are you going to do when Remy says he isn't ready to talk to you?"

"I'll find my brother, even if I have to search every inch of Irish soil personally!" Scott promised, driven by a need that consumed him. "I need to know he's safe!"

"Damn!" Bobby cursed. "I need to make a phone call, Slim."

"We don't have time for that!"

"I need to tell Nicholas I'm leaving!" Bobby stated determinedly. "You'll have to wait five fucking minutes!" Bobby took off and ran back into his room, quickly punching in Nicholas' phone number on his cell phone. "Be there, love!"

"Nicholas Lace."

"Nick, it's Bobby. Listen, I'm really sorry but I've got to cancel our date for tonight!" Damn, he didn't want to do this, didn't want to disappoint his new lover. Their relationship was still so fragile, so new!

"Why?"

"A friend needs me. I need to go to Ireland and make sure Scott won't lose his mind. He just found out that his brother is still alive. We thought he died months ago." The silence that answered him scared Bobby. "Nick?"

"I understand, Bobby. I really do. I knew this would happen in your line of work. But make sure you call me when you get back?"

"Thanks, love!" Bobby felt relieved. He'd hoped Nicholas would understand. But this had just been their first test. "Want me to come over when I'm back?"

"Yes, definitely. Love you, babe."

"I love you too… oh, we're so mushy!" Bobby chuckled softly.

"I love mushy…"

Bobby terminated the connection and took a deep breath. "I'm ready to go," he announced, but his eyes grew big when he returned to the corridor. No Scott! "Damn!" Bobby cursed and started running, hoping Scott hadn't taken the Black Bird out just yet. Luckily, he arrived in time and slipped onboard. "You need to slow down, Scott!"

"I can't."

The tone halted Bobby in his tracks. "Scott?" Bobby walked up to him and watched Scott prepare for take off. "You're scared Remy will be dead when you get there?" he said, taking an educated guess. "Man, you're really screwed up!"

"Strap yourself in for take off," Scott ordered, trying to bite down the pain. "I failed him once, Bobby."

"You weren't even there!"

"I need to know…"

"What?" Bobby held on as Scott took the Black Bird outside, climbing higher until Scott put the plane on automatic pilot.

"I need to know if he can forgive me."

"I don't understand," Bobby whispered, feeling sorry for his friend.

"I screwed up."

"This is getting old, man!" Bobby chided his friend. "Just be glad he's alive! You're not responsible for what happened!"

"I am," Scott objected. "I'm team leader."

"And human! Now stop this guilt trip. I'm going to try and contact Warren and Remy!" Annoyed with his friend's behavior Bobby accessed the computer. "I know why you feel this way, Slim. Most of us feel guilty, but it was Eric the Red who planned everything. We didn't have a chance!"

Scott was reluctant to give in, but Bobby had made a valid point. "This isn't over yet. I plan on going after Eric the Red next."

"You won't," Bobby said resolved.

Surprised, Scott locked eyes with Bobby. "What did you say?"

"You'll focus on Remy. You're not team leader right now. You're his brother. Forget about the 'I screwed up' routine, man. This is about your brother. You need to separate that."

"When did you grow up?" Scott blinked his eyes.

"I know most people on the team think I never passed the age of five, but… It's a front, like your fearless leader stuff. They expect pranks and I indulge them. Hardest part was coming out."

Growing calm again Scott nodded his head. "Yes, you're probably right. We do expect you to be the team's clown."

"I'm cool with it most of the time, but… it would be nice to be treated like a grown man for a change."

"I'll keep that in mind." Regret colored Scott's voice. "Is Storm still giving you the cold shoulder?"

"Yeah, she really has a problem with me being out of the closet. But I got so tired of hiding there."

"I'm glad you told us," Scott admitted honestly. "It made me think."

"About what?" Bobby finished his message and sent it, marking it urgently. Now they could only hope that Warren or Remy would answer it.

"About being gay, straight or bi." Scott looked at the darkening sky. The sun would set soon. "I never really thought about it, but I've got no problems with it. I can't see myself falling in love with a guy, but that's because my heart belongs to Jean." He chuckled softly. "But I never suspected that three of my team members were gay or bi."

Bobby smiled amused. "Remy, Warren and I…"

"Yeah, and those are the ones out of the closet. I can't help but wonder if there are more people still hiding in there."

"Meaning?"

"Logan…"

Bobby's eyes grew a little bigger. "You think Logan is…?"

"I don't know. Call it a gut feeling. I know he loves Jean, but…"

Bobby watched his friend closely. "What about you, Scott? Yeah, I know your heart belongs to Jean, but before you realized that?"

"You asking me if I ever felt attracted to a man?" Scott smiled. "No, guess I am straight as hell."

Bobby returned the smile, watching the screen closely, hoping for a reply. "What are we going to do when we get there?"

"We'll start with Dublin, I guess." Scott suddenly felt discouraged. "You were right. We'll never find them."

"Don't give up, Slim."

"I won't."

///

Ireland

Remy deeply inhaled the fresh air, feeling stronger with every passing day and this day had been sheer heaven. Their fingers were twined and Warren had slipped into pace next to him the moment they'd left the lake. Wolvie was walking in front of them, sniffing the air and occasionally the canine forgot his injured leg when he tried to hunt down a rabbit.

"Are you okay, love?" Remy's silence puzzled Warren, but he wasn't really worried, as the fragrance of roses still clung to his lover.

"I was wonderin', cher. Side is pretty much healed. What are we goin' to do next?" Remy whispered softly, as he really didn't want to address this.

"I would like to stay here a little longer, Rem." Warren stopped walking and locked eyes with Remy. "It almost looks like the red in your eyes is fading, turning to gold."

That remark took Remy aback. Maybe he should locate a mirror once they got home.

"Seriously, I do think the red is turning to gold."

Feeling ill at ease, Remy stared at the ground. "Don' distract me. You want to go back to Westchester?"

"When you're ready, yes." Worried, Warren realized he smelled lilies now. "Tell me, Rem. You're worried about something."

"You want to re-join de X-Men later?"

"You don't want to?" Warren already read the answer in his lover's expression. "I understand, Remy. We really hurt you."

Lost for words, Remy peeked at his lover. "I don' t'ink I want to be part of dat team ever 'gain." There, he'd said it. How would Warren react to that news?

"Okay, Rem. I'm only saying this once," Warren stated calmly and waited until curious eyes locked with his. "If you decide to do your own thing I'll be with you every step of the way."

"Are you sayin' dat…?"

"I'll give up the X-Men for you. I just want to be with you. Maybe we can find a way to put our money to good use? I'm through with being a playboy. We could help people."

"Cher," Remy stuttered. "You would do dat for me?"

"For us!"

Remy wanted to kiss his lover when Wolvie limped towards them in obvious pain. "What did you do, mon ami?" Remy sat on his heels to study the canine. "It's de wound, non? You shouldn' chase de rabbits."

"Here, use this." Warren handed Remy a clean handkerchief. "It's bleeding again. We need to change the dressing." Warren kneeled and made sure the canine didn't move about too much while Remy peeled off the bloody bandage.

"Looks bad," Remy muttered and examined the wound. "Wish I could make it better, mon ami."

Stunned, Warren forced himself to remain calm as a golden glow surrounded Remy's hand. "What are you doing?" He had never seen this before.

"Don' know, ange," Remy whispered in a tiny tone, equally scared. "I can' make it stop." It wasn't his charging power. This felt differently. The glow dripped from his hand and onto the bloody wound. The wolf didn't howl in pain, just remained motionless. Remy could only watch as the wound closed. Not even a scar stayed behind. "Cher? What happened?"

Warren nodded his head. "Of course! That must be it. This is what your newly discovered power is about, Rem. You’re a healer!"

Perplexed, Remy stared at his hands. The glow was gone, but his fingers tingled. "A healer?" he repeated in disbelief. "I would love to be a healer," he whispered, forgetting he was speaking aloud. "I would love to help people, take away deir pain."

"I know that." Warren pulled Remy to his feet and smiled. Wolvie was running around, jumping and chasing another rabbit like nothing special had happened a moment ago. "I'm not sure you want to hear this, love," Warren started hesitantly. Scared eyes met his… Oh, those eyes!

"Just tell me." Remy's voice trembled.

"It's your eyes, Rem. They're no longer red on black."

Remy flinched. "Mon Dieu…"

"The red turned into gold."

"Gold?" Remy closed his eyes, feeling lost. "Just stay wid me…" he whispered helplessly.

"Stupid Cajun," Warren chided Remy and then slipped his arms around Remy's shoulders. "We'll figure this out together."

"I know dat," Remy whispered, sensing Warren's love as it became more tangible with every passing second. "Mais I am still scared. Why am I changin' and when will it end?"

"We'll find those answers," Warren replied reassuringly and remembered something Daimon had said. 'You will find the answers like I did.'

///

" I can' believe dis," Remy whispered stunned. He'd finally located a mirror and examined his changed eyes. "You t'ink dey will stay dat way or change back?" Warren stoodg behind him, arms wrapped around his waist and his lover's chin rested on his shoulder. Looking at their joined reflection Remy felt truly blessed.

"We'll have to wait and see," Warren replied slightly amused. "I liked the red on black, but this is special too."

Remy turned around and kissed his lover. "You've got mail," he pointed out to Warren as his eyes scanned the screen of the laptop. "Looks like Bobby replied."

"In that case, you've got mail, Rem." Warren released him and walked into the kitchen. "I'll fix dinner. Why don't you answer Bobby's message?"

Sighing, Remy sat down behind the laptop and opened the message, which took his breath away. "Mon Dieu!"

"What's wrong?"

"Dey're on deir way to Ireland," Remy whispered nervously. "Why is Scott actin' like dis? You've got to read dis, cher."

Warren made sure the rice was boiling and then joined his lover in the living room. "You're right. Something is wrong. Are you going to give them our location?"

"I don' know, cher," Remy leaned back and looked questioningly at his lover. "What do you t'ink I should do?"

Warren wavered to reply. "You've got to decide what to do."

"I want your advice, ange," Remy said softly.

"Tell them. Whatever's bugging Scott won't go away. I've got this feeling Scott really needs to talk to you. Maybe it's because he feels guilty for failing you as your team leader."

Remy stared at the screen. "You'll stay close when he gets here?"

"Of course, Rem." Warren bent down and kissed his love. "I need to get back into the kitchen. Wanna try a Chinese dish."

Remy watched as Warren returned to the kitchen and couldn't help cracking a remark. "You got a great ass, cher."

Warren stopped in his tracks, looked over his shoulder at Remy's naughty expression and grinned. "You got that one right, Rem!"

The teasing soothed his nerves and Remy made his decision.

///

The Black Bird

Bobby's eyes flashed open at hearing the sound of an incoming message. "Did I really fall asleep?" he wondered aloud and moved over to access the message.

"Two hours ago," Scott said listlessly. "We're almost there and we still don't know where to start searching for them."

Scott's depressed tone made Bobby uncomfortable. It almost sounded like Scott was giving up after all. As he opened the message a wave of relief moved through him. "It's from Remy. We've got his location." Quickly, Bobby punched in the new co-ordinates into the board computer. Scott's surprised gasp took Bobby back. "Scott?"

"Remy's okay with this?"

Bobby shifted in his seat. "It says we're welcome to drop by and it has the location. That's it."

"I can't screw this up, Bobby. What should I do?" Scott looked out of the window. Only a few more moments and he'd be face to face with his younger brother. "I don't want to make the mistake of dumping all this on him. Remy probably has no idea that we're brothers."

"You got that death certificate with you?"

"Yes… but maybe I should wait until… until we talked. I'm nervous, Bobby," Scott admitted in a choked tone.

"I got this feeling Remy might be nervous too," Bobby paused. "If I were you I'd wait with telling him that you're brothers until you both feel a little more comfortable. Take your time."

"How do you think he'll react to the news?" Scott sought out his friend's eyes.

"Shocked," Bobby replied truthfully. "I'd be shocked if I found out that I was a Summers!" He added a joking tone to the statement and poked Scott's side. "Things will work out. Think positive, man!"

"I hope so," Scott murmured nervously.

///

Ireland

They'd just finished doing the dishes and were now cuddling up together on the sofa, watching a program on Discovery channel about mummies in the valley of Kings. Warren was the first to disturb the comfortable silence. "Are you nervous about facing Bobby and Scott?"

"Bobby? Non, not really, but Scott? Oui," Remy replied and pulled Warren a little closer. His lover's wings were spread and Remy caressed them tenderly. "I just wish people would leave us 'lone. First it's de Antiquary and now dis is comin' up. I just want to be wid you, cher."

Warren nodded his head, briefly inhaling the lilies that clung to his lover. Remy was still worried. "You don't have to do this alone, love."

"I know dat, mais I wonder why Cyke wants to see me so badly."

Warren pressed a kiss on his lover's throat and licked the skin underneath Remy's ear. A delightful quaver moved through the Cajun's body. "You'll have to ask him that."

"I always t'ought I got along pretty well wid Cyke," Remy mused aloud. "We seldom had arguments."

"Must be the discipline thing," Warren whispered, almost dozing off in his lover's arms. "You're used to the training sessions as a skilled thief. Guess Jean-Luc drilled that into you."

"Oui, were long days when I was trainin' to be a t'ief, mais I liked it. Like to be focussed." Remy's ears picked up engine sounds. "Is dat de Black Bird?"

"Sounds like it." Warren forced himself to wake up again. "I love being in your arms like this."

Remy blushed, still getting used to his lover's desires. "Love holdin' you, cher."

"Let's go outside and greet them." Warren got to his feet, extended his hand and pulled Remy to his feet. "I cleaned up the spare bedroom. They can stay the night."

"You t'ink dey goin' to stay dat long?" Remy said, slightly surprised.

"It sounds like Scott really needs to talk to you," Warren pointed out to Remy. "And after they leave, we have got all the time to experiment with the gay kama sutra," he hinted mischievously.

Remy smiled. And I want to make you come dis time. Together, they walked outside and watched the Black Bird land. "I'm nervous," Remy realized surprised. He'd never wanted to have anything to do with the X-Men ever again and now Scott and Bobby were here.

The cabin door opened and Bobby appeared first, knowing Scott needed a moment to recompose himself. "Hello, big guy!" Bobby quickly walked towards them and first hugged Warren. "You look happy," he realized after a moment, evaluating the smile on Warren's face.

"That's because I am happy," Warren stated calmly and then twined his fingers with Remy's, who was trembling.

"Bobby?" Remy said awkwardly, uncertain what to say or to do. But as their eyes met, Remy saw no remnants of the old unease between them. Something had changed.

"Gambit, Remy!" Bobby took the initiative and also hugged the Cajun. "It's good to see you again, Cajun. You had us worried."

Remy froze in Bobby's arms, but then forced himself to relax a little as Bobby's sincere relief drifted into his mind. Bobby was really glad to see him. Maybe his newly discovered powers would come in handy after all. "I never expected you to be worried 'bout moi," he whispered slightly ashamed.

"Hey, I do consider you my friend, man!" Bobby smiled warmly and then sucked in his breath. "Remy? What happened to your eyes?"

Remy quickly exchanged a look with Warren.

"They're still gold on black," Warren said, reading the question in his lover's eyes.

"Don' really know why dey changed," Remy explained softly to Bobby. "I can' control it."

"But you look fine," Bobby said relieved. "When Warren told me you suffered from amnesia I was really worried."

"I remember now… everyt'in'," Remy clarified.

"I'm sorry about Antarctica," Bobby apologized and heard Scott move closer behind him. "But you should first talk to Scott about that."

Scott had been holding onto his breath since he'd first seen Warren and Remy holding hands. Now that he realized that his brother was fine, Scott released his choked breath. Nervously, he extended his hand in greeting, completely ignoring Warren, fully focused on his lost brother. "Remy," Scott whispered and was relieved to feel Remy's hand slip into his, accepting the gesture.

Surprised, Remy felt a pull and suddenly he found himself locked up tightly in Scott's arms. His eyes grew big as Remy noticed the strangled sob that left Scott's throat. Remy looked to Warren for help, but his lover only shrugged his shoulders. "Uh, Cyke? What's goin' on, homme?" Remy struggled for breath, as Scott's hug tightened.

"Sorry about that." Scott managed to let go and tried to calm down. But it'd felt so good to have his brother that close. Alex would never let him hug him like that. As Scott lifted his eyes to study Remy's face, Scott grew quiet. "What happened to your eyes?"

"It's a long story, Cyke. We should go inside first. Ange made coffee." Carefully, Remy stepped away from him, only to find that Scott took another step closer again.

Clueless, Warren watched the scene. Scott was really acting out of character. What was causing this strange behavior? Maybe Bobby could tell him. "Yes, let's go inside. It's getting chilly out here."

As the four men entered the living room, Bobby and Scott froze in their tracks. "There's a wolf on your couch," Bobby said confused.

"Dat's Wolvie. He's harmless." Remy pulled the canine from the sofa and invited his guests to sit down. Warren was already pouring coffee and didn't need his help, so Remy sat down in the armchair. He smiled, as Wolvie curled up at his feet. "Merci, cher," he whispered and accepted the hot coffee.

Warren joined Scott and Bobby on the sofa and wondered why Scott's hands were shaking. "Are you okay, Slim?"

"Just fine." Scott leaned back into the comfort of the couch and finally relaxed now that he knew that Remy was all right. He was dying to find out what had happened to Remy's eyes, but didn't ask. If Remy thought Scott needed to know, the Cajun would tell him. "I'm glad you made it out alive. I talked to Rogue and she admitted to leaving you out there to die."

"I ain' comin' back," Remy replied on impulse. "I ain' comin' back to de mansion or de X-Men."

That statement caught Scott off guard, but he forced himself to accept it for now. There was something more pressing he had to address. "Remy, do you hate me?"

Surprised, Remy raised an eyebrow. "Hate you?" The wolf at his feet stirred.

"For failing you? I mean, Bobby and I did go to Antarctica to find you, but we didn't find a single trace."

"You went back for me?" Remy put the mug on the coffee table, as his hands shook with the unexpected revelation.

"Yeah, we searched for 2 days," Bobby cut in. "But we never picked up on any readings."

"Means a lot to me, knowin' dat you went back," Remy said softly. "I don' know how I survived. A group of scientists found me when de were re-locatin' deir base. Dey flew me out and I ended up in a hospital. Dat's all I know."

"You didn't answer my question," Scott pointed out to him.

"Non, I don' hate you. I just don' want to have any'tin' to do wid de X-Men anymore." Remy picked up his mug and sipped the hot liquid.

An uncomfortable silence descended onto the room and Warren decided to try and break the tension. "Are you staying for the night?"

"Depends on Remy," Scott replied carefully. "Do you want us here?"

"C'est bien, Cyke. You can stay." Confused, Remy tried to make sense of Scott's odd behavior and why was Bobby this quiet? Normally Drake never stopped talking for long. "Why are you here?" Remy asked eventually as the tension got too much.

"I don’t know how you'll react to this," Scott said apprehensively and pulled the death certificate from his pocket. "I got this in the mail a few days ago."

Curiosity got the better of him and Remy leaned forward to look at the document. "What is it?"

"A death certificate," Scott said in a heavy tone. "Look at the description of the baby and the parents' names, Remy." His heart missed a beat as Remy's eyes scanned the document. This was it. Would he gain a brother or be thrown out?

Remy's breathing quickened. "A baby wid red on black eyes? Born in N'Awlings? Is dis 'bout me?" He looked up to Scott, pleading for an answer.

"Yes, now look at the names." Scott had never felt more insecure and uncertain and he hated it.

"Essex?" It was the first name Remy came across and his chest tightened painfully.

"He was the doctor who delivered you." Scott held onto the warm mug as if it could save his life. Unexpectedly, Bobby's hand squeezed his shoulder. "I guess he wanted you for his own reasons. He declared you dead five minutes after you were born."

A tear traveled down Remy's cheek. "A forgery?" He couldn't believe this was really happening. If this was true, Sinister had wanted him from the start.

"No, it's the real thing," Scott assured Remy, thankful for Bobby's silent support. The hardest part was still to come.

Remy's eyes drifted lower until they found his mother's name. My moder… never t'ought I would ever find out who I am! His body tensed up, reading his parents' names. "Cyke?" This couldn't be true! That was the name of Scott's father on the document!

"We're brothers, Remy. Hank ran a DNA test and…" Scott grew silent as the paper dropped onto the floor. Remy's stunned eyes tore at Scott's heart.

"Love?" Warren hurried over to Remy's side, sat on his heels and gathered Remy's hands in his. His eyes quickly scanned the certificate and then focused on Scott. "Rem is your younger brother?" He had a hard time believing this as well.

"The DNA test came back positive," Scott stated determinedly, wondering what he was supposed to do next. "Corsair never told me about you, Remy. I didn't know. You've got to believe me. I'm so sorry…"

Thoughts spun through his head at an amazing speed. "Broders?" Remy whispered in disbelief. "Must be a mistake."

Scott got to his feet and acted on instinct as he sat on his heels on Remy's other side. "Hank didn't make a mistake. We're family. You're a Summers."

"Mon Dieu…" Remy whispered lost.

Alarmed, Warren locked eyes with his lover. "You just gained a brother. Isn't that wonderful?" Warren gently stroked Remy's face. "I know this is sudden and unexpected, considering everything we've been through recently, but if it's the truth…"

"It is," Scott assured them and waited patiently for Remy to reply.

"I need time to deal wid dis," Remy whispered in an emotional tone as another tear made its way down his cheek.

"I understand that." Scott got to his feet and backed away a little. "You still want us to stay the night?"

"Oui," Remy replied without thinking about the answer. Suddenly, he realized what had just been revealed to him. He knew his real name now, his parents' names and he even had an older brother who stood next to him. As he rose from the chair, he sensed Warren's concern and his lover's arm curls around his waist. "We're broders, Cyke?"

"Please call me Scott," he replied and nodded his head. "Yes, you're my baby brother," Scott added teasingly. Carefully, he took a step closer. Remy didn't shy away and growing bolder, Scott instigated another hug. "Can you accept this, Remy?"

"I must…" Remy dropped onto the chair again, supported by Scott and Warren. "I need a moment 'lone."

"Why don't I show you around the house?" Warren suggested, knowing Remy needed to work through this on his own. "We'll be right back, love."

"Take your time," Remy whispered and stared at the paper in his hand.

///

"Remy'll accept it," Warren said, trying to comfort Scott.

They were in the spare bedroom and Bobby dropped onto one bed, tired and suddenly low on energy.

"I should have been more tactful," Scott chided himself. "I just dumped it on him."

"Don't worry." Warren eyed Scott closely. "Remy's grown a lot stronger since he got back from Antarctica. He can deal with this."

"I was really mad at Bobby for not telling me Remy's alive," Scott remarked saddened.

"Remy wanted it that way," Warren clarified. "He's through with the X-Men."

"What about you?" Scott looked up at Warren. "We need you on the team."

"If there's a real emergency you can turn to us for help, but don't expect us to be on the regular team. Remy and I plan on making a new start." Warren locked eyes with Bobby. "Thanks for not caving in. It means a lot to Remy that you kept the trust."

"I did feel trapped," Bobby admitted and stretched his body. "This is a great place, man. So quiet!"

Warren thought back to the things that had happened here only last night; the Antiquary's scary visit. He wanted to change the subject and asked, "How is Nicholas?"

"I love him. We decided to try and make this work." Bobby gave Warren a wink. "And what about you and Remy?"

"We're getting there." Warren turned around and stared at the starlit sky. "Remy's mine forever."

Scott couldn't help but smile. "Are you willing to share him once in a while with his brother? I can accept the fact that Remy doesn't want to return to the team. I don't agree with it, but I can accept it. But I refuse to lose my brother after finding him again."

"Sure, you can visit." Warren nodded his head. "It will do Remy a lot of good to know you want him as your brother, but your timing kinda sucks. He's going through some rough times and this is just another thing he has to make peace with. He needs time."

"What are you saying? Does this have something to do with his changed eyes?" Scott asked concerned.

"Yeah," Warren said thoughtfully. "Let's say Remy is still dealing with some painful parts of his past. You'll have to give him time to work through it all."

"He can have all the time he needs."

///

"Wolvie? What should I do?" Remy slipped onto the floor next to the wolf and stroked the canine's belly, who'd rolled over onto his back. "You like dat?" Remy giggled as the wolf growled appreciately. "It's too much, Wolvie." Remy took a deep breath as the canine got back to its feet and stood in front of him with big yellow eyes. "First I find out 'bout de charm… magic," he corrected himself. "Ange already got me trained."

The wolf still studied him and Remy knew it was listening closely. "And den de Antiquary shows up and is destroyed. I'm still workin' on lettin' ange touch me and now dis. Why can' I get a break from life?" The wolf licked the back of his hand, offering some small consolation. "You know, mon ami, I always dreamed of my family findin' me. Dat my parents always loved me and never wanted to leave me alone. Now dat I know dat Essex is responsible for dis mess, I feel cheated. It's strange, knowin' dat Scott's my broder and Corsair my fader. I never expected dat one. I don' know how I feel 'bout dat."

"Rem?" Warren sat down behind Remy and pulled his lover against his chest, wrapping arms and legs around Remy's body. "Go on, Rem. Don't let me stop you from thinking aloud."

"I guess I'm scared," Remy admitted and leaned closer into the body behind him. Remy rested the back of his head on Warren's shoulder. "I'm so used to dealin' wid everyt'in' alone and now… now I got you… Poppa and Logan… and now I also got Scott."

Warren nodded his head, but remained quiet.

"I don' know what to do, what everyone expects from me."

"I expect you to let me love you." Warren kissed the back of his lover's neck. "And I just talked to Scott. He realizes you need time. Bobby and he are leaving tomorrow so you have all the time you need to work through this. When you're ready we will visit Westchester, straighten everything out between you and Rogue and then we'll start the rest of our life together. Scott just had to see you're fine with his own eyes."

Remy sighed relieved. "Wouldn' know what to do wit'out you, cher."

"What about turning in and getting some sleep? Scott already collapsed and is soundly asleep. Bobby told me Scott's been unable to sleep since finding out."

"Uhm, I don't want to intrude or anything," Bobby started hesitantly, but he couldn't hide the huge smile on his face. "The two of you look cute together!" He'd never thought Warren would mellow down like this. Bobby walked towards them and sat down on the couch, carefully keeping an eye on Wolvie.

Slightly embarrassed, Remy fought the urge to jump to his feet. Was Warren okay with this open display of affection?

"Stay, love," Warren whispered into Remy's left ear. "Bobby, thanks for everything. We appreciate it."

"You're welcome. I just wish I had a camera so I could take a picture of the two of you." Bobby waited for Remy to set the pace of this conversation.

"How are t'ings at de mansion?" Remy asked eventually.

"Calm," Bobby carefully chose his words. "Storm has a hard time accepting I'm gay, but I am not surprised by that. She keeps telling me it goes against nature, but she needs time."

"I'm sorry about that," Warren said sincerely.

"The others are okay with it. Jean is really supportive and so is Hank. But…" Bobby wavered briefly. "Jean is really having a hard time with your death, Remy."

Remy swallowed hard. "I never wanted to hurt anyone," Remy whispered.

"She'll get better once you feel strong enough to visit the mansion."

"What 'bout… her?" Remy was hesitant to speak her name. His voice already trembled.

"Rogue?" Bobby said compassionately and noticed Remy flinch. But Bobby also noticed Warren's protective reaction as his friend tightened the embrace. "Joseph ended their relationship. He says he can't trust a woman who leaves a team-mate to die."

Remy looked up and didn't know what to say. "Someone should help her."

"Remy?" Bobby wondered what that remark was about.

"Mebbe de professor? She needs help. She's really screwed up… even more dan me." Remy listened to Warren's calm breathing, which comforted him. "Don' know when I'll be ready to face dem."

"Take your time," Bobby adviced as he got to his feet again. "I'm going to check on Scott. He's been high strung these last few days."

"Keep an eye on him for me?" Remy asked softly. "I like havin' a broder, even if it's Cyke."

"Slim is okay." Bobby leaned in closer and patted Remy's shoulder. "You just need to push through his defenses and you already did that." Bobby smiled as he left the living room to catch some shuteye. Maybe he'd dream of Nicholas tonight.

///

Later, when they'd snuggled up to each other in bed, Remy closed his eyes and wished they could stay like this forever.

"It's lilies again," Warren noticed and pushed Remy onto his back. Looking at his lover, Warren moved onto his side to play with the Cajun's nipples.

"I'm havin' an identity crisis," Remy replied playfully, trying to mask his worries.

"No lies, that includes white lies as well." Warren pinched one of Remy's rock hard nipples.

Remy opened his eyes again and focused on his lover. He'd learned so much about love, emotional and physical closeness since they'd arrived here. "Je t'aime," he whispered lost.

"I love you too, crazy Cajun…" Warren pulled up the comforter and moved into Remy's arms. "Everything will be all right. Trust me."

"Sounds weird, non? Remy Summers?"

"It doesn't sound that bad! What about Remy LeBeau-Summers? Or Summers-LeBeau?"

Remy laughed warmly. "You're a tease too, cher."

Warren pushed himself up on one elbow and looked deeply into his lover's eyes. "What about Remy Worthington?"

Speechless, Remy licked his sudden dry lips. "Cher?" Had Warren really said that?

"Yeah, I'm proposing here. Want me on my knees?" Warren smiled and kissed the tip of Remy's nose. "You don't have to decide now. But I would like to have some kind of ceremony that officially binds us together. You can give me your answer when you're ready."

Still lost for words, Remy stared into blue eyes. "Don' know what to say, cher."

"We can also go for Warren LeBeau-Summers…" Warren added teasingly. The tears that formed in Remy's eyes took Warren by surprise. "Rem? I am going too fast, huh?"

"Non, I want to be yours, mais…" Remy choked up. "No one ever wanted me like dat."

"Just think about it." Warren snuggled back up to his lover and his hand tangled in Remy's soft auburn hair. "By the way, we need to go shopping tomorrow. We're running out of supplies and I want to make a stop in Dublin to get some stuff I need."

The sudden change in topic reassured Remy that everything was okay. He really needed to think before answering Warren. His heart urged him to say yes, but his mind was at war with his heart, telling him Warren could do so much better than him. Mais he loves me and I love him.

"Go to sleep, Rem." Warren felt the tension in his lover's body. He'd never planned on saying this so soon, but the moment had been perfect. He wanted to make this commitment, but knew that Remy needed more time. "Have some sweet dreams, Rem," and Warren drifted off, satisfied and comfortable while holding onto his love.

Remy however, stayed awake for hours.

///

Ireland

"Remy, thanks for talking to me. I guess I'll have to be patient and see how things work out." Scott was reluctant to let go of Remy's hand, which he was shaking. "Please call, email or write me the old-fashioned way?"

A sad smile played across Remy's face. Only now he realized he didn't want Scott to leave yet. "What are you goin' to tell de oders?"

"That depends on you, Remy." Scott was grateful that Bobby and Warren had given them these private moments to say good-bye. "If you want me to keep quiet about you being alive I'll do that."

But Remy knew better. "Jean and de professor will read it in your mind."

"Maybe, but I'm willing to take that risk. I've got some pretty strong shields." It still felt odd to look into the golden eyes, but Scott loved the change.

"Non," Remy decided. "I don' want to be de reason for you arguin' wid your wife. You can tell dem… just don' tell dem where I am." It'd been hard decision, but he'd thought about it last night. "I don' want Jean mournin' my deat' while I'm still 'live."

"Thanks, Remy. I'll make sure no one knows where you are." Scott carefully hugged Remy. "Any messages you want me to deliver?"

"Tell Jean I'm sorry dat I let her t'ink I was dead," Remy said eventually.

"That's it?"

"Oui." Feeling awkward, Remy walked Scott to the Black Bird. "I'll keep in touch."

"Let me know when you're ready to confront Rogue? I'll make sure you won't face her alone," Scott offered, realizing how hard returning to the mansion would be for Remy, even if it was only to confront Rogue and then leave again.

"I will," Remy promised nervously.

Scott stopped walking and waited until Remy did the same. "My little brother."

"I ain' little!" Remy tried to sound offended, but couldn't pull it off. "So, I got a big broder now…?"

"Yes." Scott searched Remy's eyes. "Want me to try and contact Corsair?"

"Non," Remy stated resolved. "Not yet."

"Too soon? I understand that. Now, give me one last hug?" Scott was nervous. "The only other person I hug this much is Jean," Scott confessesed softly. "Alex hates hugs."

Remy didn't react verbally. Instead, he simply allowed Scott to hold him.

"Scott? We need to get going!" Bobby called out and signaled his friend to come onboard. Damn! Why didn't he have a camera when he needed one?

"I'm coming, Bobby." Scott squeezed Remy's shoulder. "I got your addy… I'll send you a message when I get home, telling you how the others reacted to the news of you being alive."

"Cyke…"

"Scott," he corrected Remy.

"Bien, Scott," Remy whispered, giving in and smiling weakly. "Merci for goin' back to Antarctica."

"That really means a lot to you, doesn't it?" Scott wished he'd returned earlier so he'd have been the one to find Remy.

"Oui, you need to get goin'… Scott. Bobby's gettin' impatient." Remy looked down at his shoes, wondering why he was this emotional.

"We'll talk again, brother. I promise." With a heavy heart Scott entered the Black Bird and got ready to help Bobby for take off. Seeing Remy's lone figure in front of the house tore at Scott's heart. It was a pity Remy didn't want to return to Westchester. Scott would have loved to spend more time with his brother.

"Rem?" Warren wrapped an arm around his lover's waist and kissed Remy's collarbone. "Scott will be just fine."

"I know dat," Remy sighed in reply. The Black Bird's engines roared and the plane gained more height. Within seconds it was gone from view.

"You're feeling a little depressed here," Warren remarked knowingly. "What about taking our new car and driving to Dublin to spend the day? Maybe we'll even run into Jean-Luc and Logan."

"I'd like dat," Remy replied honestly. "Mais I want to take a shower first."

"Okay, in the meantime I'll try and get some directions on driving to Dublin. Don't want to end up lost." Warren pulled his love into the house with him. Wolvie gave them hungry looks.

"You forgot to feed him?" Remy correctly interpreted that look.

"Yeah, I'll do that while you shower." Warren nudged Remy towards the staircase.

"Ange? Join me for dat shower?"

"You want me too?" Warren gave Remy a probing look, uncertain what he hoped to find in those puzzling eyes. Remy knew better than to tempt him with sex for the wrong reasons.

"I know what I'm doin' and why I'm doin' it." Remy peeked from underneath his lashes at his lover's face. "I want to make you come."

"It's tempting," Warren confessed and took Remy's hand in his. "Why do you want to do that?"

"To give you pleasure, cher. I want to feel you." Remy waited long moments, but Warren remained silent. "Because I love you, cher," he added eventually, wondering what Warren wanted to hear.

"Okay…" Warren said slowly. "I'll join you, but I need to feed Wolvie first."

Feeling victorious, Remy grinned smugly. "You won' regret it, cher."

Warren chuckled softly. "We'll see about that."

///

Thoughtfully, Warren stepped out of his jeans and removed his shirt. He hoped that Remy was ready to take this step and was doing this for the right reasons. Spreading his wings Warren stretched his body. Had he really proposed to Remy last night? Grinning madly, he studied himself in the mirror and the grin faded. He hated this blue skin.

"Cher?"

Remy's voice urged Warren to leave his musings behind and he stepped into the steamy bathroom. "Rem?" He located his lover and stepped underneath the warm water beams. "You removed the bandage," he noticed concerned.

"Oui, have a look at it, cher?"

Warren did and a small, "Uh," left his lips. "It's gone. Not even a scar. That's why you were suddenly healing up so fast." With a sense of pride Warren took in Remy's smooth body. "And it's all mine," he quipped in delight. Small droplets of water seemed to possessively cling to his lover's skin, unwilling to slide down the buttocks.

Warren reached for the shampoo to wash his hair when Remy stopped him.

"Let me," Remy offered and he squeezed some shampoo into the palm of his hand. Slowly, he massaged Warren's scalp. "Bien?"

"Perfect." Loving the feel of those expect fingertips moving over his skin, Warren released a sigh of deep contentment.

"Rinse," Remy announced and pulled him closer. "Now it's time for step two," and he grabbed the soap, lathering Warren's skin. "Do you like my washin' your hair, cher?"

"That's the dumbest question I ever heard!" Warren growled as agile fingers moved over his back, rubbed his ass and then stole over to his belly. "Geeze, Rem!" He arched his back as his lover's fingers teasingly moved over his semi erect cock. Warren took hold of Remy's hands and cradled them in front of his chest. Looking Remy in the eyes, he asked, "What do you want me to do?"

Remy trembled, hearing that question. "Would you turn 'round?" Remy wanted to pleasure this man, make Warren come and hear him scream his name.

"I can do that." Warren wondered if Remy had heard the nervousness in his voice.

"Je t'aime, cher. I want to make you feel good."

It was a two-way thing, Warren realized. Remy had trusted him enough to let him go down on him and now he had to show Remy the same trust. "Just don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable," Warren said pleadingly.

"Turn 'round." Remy let his hands wander down his lover's chest and as Warren obeyed, they ended up on his lover's buttocks instead. "Cher, you take my breat' 'way," Remy complimented his lover. "Let me take care of you." He rested his body against Warren's and placed his lover's hands against the wall. "You might need de support," he added wickedly.

"Geeze, Rem, I'm already hard. Have mercy!" Warren leaned forward and spread his legs. "What are you going to do?"

"Spread your wings?"

"Sure." Warren took a deep breath and obliged his lover, who nestled his body in between Warren's wings. One of Remy's hands moved closer to his groin. "Rem," Warren pleaded breathlessly. Just feeling Remy's hard body behind him, pressed into his almost made him come!

"Easy, cher," Remy admonished Warren. "I didn' even start yet!" He curled his fingers around the throbbing erection and rubbed the tip with his thumb. Warren rocked hard against him and Remy pressed his body even closer to his lover's.

Warren's head jerked back, feeling his lover's cock pressed against his buttocks. "Just like in my fantasy," he growled through clenched teeth.

Remy smiled and slowly stroked his lover's slippery cock. "Better dan your fantasy?"

"Much better! Make me come?" Warren panted softly as Remy's cock teased against his cleft. "Wow," Warren exclaimed passionately.

Remy concentrated on the needy body in front of him. He may pretend to know what he was doing but he was new at this game too. In past relationship and one night stands he'd always ended up being the passive and submissive one, but with Warren things were different. Remy loved being able to give his lover this amount of pleasure. Looking down, Remy stared in wonder at Warren who rocked back against him, almost trying to grip Remy's cock between his buttocks. It was an amazing sight. And I'm doin' dis to ange, makin' him lose his mind! "Cher…" Remy whispered affectionately and dropped to his knees.

"Rem!" Warren screamed his need as a hand parted his buttocks, stealing closer and finally touching his entrance. "What are you doing? You're driving me insane!" Remy's right hand still pumped him slowly, keeping him on the edge of release.

"I hear you, ange," Remy whispered and licked his lips. Carefully, Remy used one slick finger to massage his lover's entrance, cautious not to let it slip inside. But suddenly Warren rocked hard and Remy's index finger disappeared into Warren's tight passage. "Cher, calm down!" Shocked and startled, Remy pulled back. Warren didn't know how much this would hurt and Remy returned to fondling his lover's balls instead.

"Don't stop, Rem. That felt great… " Warren was balancing on the edge. "Please, love!" He bent forward, exposing himself completely. Unsure what to expect, Warren leaned heavily against the wall. All he knew was that his cock was screaming for release.

Remy swallowed hard, reaching a decision. "Bien, cher. Will make you come." Remy parts those delicious buttocks again and licked Warren's cleft, slowly making his way to the centre of his lover's arousal.

Warren quavered violently as Remy's tongue slipped inside his body, dancing, massaging his flesh and the tight muscles. "Rem!" he panted the name over and over again, like a prayer. "Rem, please!'

Feeling more confident because of Warren's enthusiastic response, Remy's tongue pushed in deeper, tasting his lover. His tongue thrust and pulled back again, making Warren squirm with pleasure.

"Rem, I…" Words failed Warren as his muscles contracted, almost expelling his lover's tongue and he shot his come into Remy's hand. Rocking hard, he yelped at the loss of Remy's tongue inside him and he regretted coming this quickly. Exhausted, Warren fell to his knees, but sighed as Remy pulled him to his chest. "That was fucking incredible," Warren moaned, still relishing tiny waves of pleasure, which continued to run through his body.

"Wasn' sure you'd like it," Remy said shyly, avoiding Warren's eyes.

Warren turned around in the embrace so he could face his lover. Warm water still cascaded down their bodies, washing away the milky cream. "What the hell did you do? I thought I was going to die!" Warren looked down and smiled, realizing Remy had come as well.

"No hands dis time," Remy whispered teasingly, noting his lover's glance.

"What was that thing you did with your tongue?" Warren didn't try to hide the admiration or curiosity in his tone. "I want to be able to do that for you too!"

Remy blushed. "Loved to eat you, cher."

"Wicked Cajun!" Warren pulled Remy close and kissed him passionately. His tongue slipped inside Remy's mouth and Warren tasted himself. Suddenly, his feelings of euphoria died. "Rem, are you okay? You didn't have to do that."

"I'm bien, ange." Remy's tone was soft and gentle. "I never did that for anyone… no one… You're de first. De Antiquary wanted me to do dat to him, mais I always refused."

"Love," Warren held Remy close, tasting the hidden pain in those words. "Thanks for this beautiful gift."

Remy grinned, feeling strangely shy. "I did 'kay den?"

"Oh, Rem," Warren sighed in understanding. "I loved it."

"You want to go to Dublin now?" Remy felt the need to distance himself from the memories before he burst out in tears for all the unnecessary pain he'd suffered as a child.

"Sure, love." Warren recognized the effort to distract him, but allowed it. "But I need to get something special for you, so I'll leave you alone for a few moments and don't you dare follow me!"

"Gettin' somet'in' special for me?" Remy repeated, surprised.

"A gift… from me to you," Warren clarified, "And I want it to be a surprise."

Remy pulled them to their feet and held his love just a little longer, relishing his closeness.

///

"I hate dat image inducer," Remy proclaimed as they ventured into the streets of the city. He'd never been in Dublin and curiously Remy took in his surroundings, hiding his eyes behind sunglasses.

"Why?" Warren ignored possible looks they might attract and gently took hold of his lover's hand, intertwining their fingers.

"I love your wings, dat exotic blue skin…"

"I hate my blue skin," Warren admitted in an unguarded moment. Hearing Remy's surprised yelp he shrugged his shoulders. "Makes me even more of a freak."

Remy was shocked. "I never knew…"

"Don't worry about it, Remy. I might not like it, but I can live with it. Okay, first we're going to get the groceries."

///

"I don' like dat blend of tea!"

Warren sighed. "Next time, I'll get our groceries alone!"

"Don' buy dose cornflakes! I like dese!" and Remy unceremoniously exchanged the boxes.

"Why don't you get the fruit and vegetables and I finish up here?" Warren sighed exasperated. He almost despaired seeing Remy's wicked expression.

"Oui, I'll get de bananas and cucumbers…"

"Why those?" Warren was afraid to ask.

Remy leaned in closer and whispered into Warren's ear. "You might find out later," and hurried away.

Warren quavered. "Crazy Cajun!" He got the rest of the groceries and when he met up with Remy again he saw that his lover had collected a large number of exotic fruits, as well as cucumbers, greens and lettuce. "Tease!"

"And you love it!"

///

After they made their way back to the car, Warren tried to get his bearings again. He had to find a jewellery shop. "I'll be back in 30 minutes. Don't get yourself into trouble. I'll meet you in that pub," and he pointed it out to Remy. "Be a good little Cajun!"

Remy laughed warmly, shook his head and went his own way. He'd do some shopping of his own!

///

30 Minutes later Warren walked into the pub, pleased with his purchase, which was safely tucked away in his pocket. The pub was barely illuminated, but he quickly located his lover in the corner. But Remy wasn't alone. Jean-Luc and Logan sat at the same table."Hello again," Warren greeted them and sat down. The waiter walked up to him and Warren ordered some black coffee. "What a coincidence!" He studied Logan's tired eyes. "Looks like you didn't get much sleep last night." Warren bit his lip in order not to add something wicked.

Remy gave his father a sly look and then his eyes returned to study Logan's wrists. "Cher, I think poppa hand cuffed Wolvie to de bed."

Logan spat out his beer and Warren almost choked on his sip of coffee. "Remy!" The two men exclaimed simultaneously.

But Jean-Luc just smiled contentedly. He loved the change in his son and realized he'd made the right decision in trusting Warren weeks ago. Remy was growing stronger. His son's changed eyes had surprised him at first, but then he'd realized it was probably because the angelic part of Remy's soul was gaining in strength as well. "Remy? Logan and I'll leave for Paris tomorrow." His son was letting go, no longer clinging to him for safety and love. Looked like Remy had found that with Warren, for which Jean-Luc was incredibly grateful.

"We're staying a little longer," Warren replied, seeing the entranced look in his lover's eyes and he couldn't help but think back to what had happened in the shower. "We kinda like it here."

"Oui," Remy confirmed. "I like bein' here wid ange."

Warren gave Remy a warm look. "We'll stay until we're ready to leave."

Logan grumbled low in his throat, "Lovesick teenagers."

///

Back at the house Remy and Warren carried the groceries into the kitchen. Wolvie was glad to see they were back and walked towards them. He'd enjoyed being back in the forest, but he was even gladder to see Remy again. It was obvious the wolf wanted to stick around.

"Hungry?" Remy put more dog food in the bowl and refreshed the wolf's water supply. "What do you think, ange? Are we stuck wid him?"

"I guess so." Warren put the image inducer on the coffee table, sat down and stretched his legs. "Rem? Come here."

Remy joined him eagerly and moved into his lover's arms. "What did you buy me?"

"Curious huh? You'll have to wait until Valentine's day!"

"But dat's like…. Two weeks!" Remy's eyes pleaded. "Can' I have it now?"

"No," Warren stated resolved. "And those puppy dog's eyes won't help!"

"It's bien, cher. I can wait," Remy decided on a different approach.

"Don't think about peeking at it! If I catch you doing that I'm going to return it to the shop!" Warren breathed the words into his lover's ear and felt Remy's goose flesh underneath his fingertips. "Come on. We'll watch some TV and have a snack."

Remy made himself comfortable in Warren's arms and sighed blissfully.

///

Westchester

"Scott!"

Scott turned around to face his wife and his mentor. Both telepaths had come to the hangar to talk to him and Scott knew he could postpone this conversation, but not avoid it. From the corner of his eye he caught Bobby slipping outside, doubtlessly on his way to meet Nicholas.

"Scott?" Jean was worried. Scott looked exhausted, but at the same time his minds felt full of energy. "Where have you been? Why did you leave like that?"

Scott considered his options. "Bobby and I had a talk with Warren and… Remy." The two telepaths looked at him as if he'd lost his mind. "No, I'm rational, sir," he said, addressing the professor. "Remy's alive. He survived."

"You found your brother," Jean realized, making the connection at once. "That's why you left like that."

"I couldn't run the risk of you finding out before I had a chance to talk to him."

"Is he coming back?" Jean didn't know what she felt. Relief, yes, but also… anger.

"Why are you angry?" Scott asked concerned, surprised to read that particular reaction in her mind.

"He had to make it on his own, Scott. We should have been there to help him." Jean rubbed her eyes. Since Scott had taken off she hadn't been able to sleep. Worried, she pressed herself against his chest. Immediately, his arms folded around her protectively.

"He's okay now. We need to concentrate on that and no, he isn't coming back for a long time. He told me he's through with the team."

Charles knew he'd failed Gambit. None of this was Scott's fault, or Rogue's. It was his. He hadn't paid attention to what had been going on with his students. Being honest with himself he had to admit he'd always neglected Remy's needs, but the Cajun had always appeared so strong and focussed!

"Can we tell the others?" Jean whispered softly.

"Yes, but I can't tell you where he is. I owe him that. I gave him my word." Scott saw acceptance in their eyes. "But Warren told me that they will be back to talk to Rogue once Remy's up to that."

"Uh, Scott?" Jean shuffled her feet. "Betsy is here as well. How do you think they will react to hearing that Warren and Remy are lovers?" She saw Remy and Warren in Scott's mind, one of the images he offered to share with her and she drew her conclusions.

"I don't care," Scott said calmly. "Warren and Remy are happy. Isn't that what matters?"

Charles nodded his head. "Come, we should tell the others."

///

Hank grinned hearing the good news and felt terribly relieved. He still blamed himself for not returning to Antarctica. He'd witnessed the trial and hadn't tried to help afterwards. His eyes came to rest on Joseph who sat opposite Rogue, obviously trying to keep his distance. Joseph smiled, relieved as well. Rogue however was biting her lip.

Anger? Hank wondered about Rogue. Shouldn't she be happy to hear Remy survived? The woman was a mystery, one he couldn't seem to solve. His glance traveled to Betsy, whose face was bereft of all emotion. Hank briefly shivered. Yes, Warren was better of with Remy as a lover. Betsy sometimes gave Hank the creeps, though he wasn't sure why.

And then there was Scott. Hank enjoyed seeing the bright smile on his friend's face, remembering only too well how depressed Scott had been before finding out that his brother was still alive. It will take me some time to get used to thinking of them as brothers.

Rogue and Betsy's silence surprised him at first, but Hank realized they couldn't really object to this development. It was beyond their control. Good.

"It goes against nature."

Storm's remark at hearing that Warren and Remy were lovers hadn't surprised Hank. She'd reacted the same way when Bobby had finally found the courage to tell them about his sexual preference. Her rejection hurt Bobby and Hank had tried to reason with Storm, showing her scientific evidence that explained homosexuality, but she refused to listen. He sighed, wondering if she'd ever outgrow her prejudice.

Hank got to his feet, walked over to Scott and rested his hand on his friend's shoulder. "Should you contact Remy, let him know I'm happy for them." After making that statement, he returned to his lab, hoping Bobby had found his true love in Nicholas. He wanted his best friend to be happy. Closing the door behind him he concentrated on his research again.

///

Bobby pressed the doorbell, feeling more than just nervous for having cancelled their date. "I have a guilty conscience," he whispered and held his breath as the door opened. "Nick, I'm so sorry," he whispered softly and then presented one red rose to his lover.

Nicholas licked his lips. "Baby, come inside." He accepted the rose and pulled his lover inside. "I was just eating pizza. Are you hungry? I can feed you," he offered wickedly.

Relieved that he'd been forgiven, Bobby sank down onto the couch. He loved the interior of Nicholas apartment, which was decorated with paintings and ancient sculptures, showing a guest that a history lover resided here. He observed Nicholas as his lover gathered the pizza, two glasses and a bottle of red wine. "It's your eyes, you know," Bobby whispered gently. "They're so green, so cat like."

"I thought you said it was my hair," Nicholas quipped in return, playing along as he poured the wine and offered Bobby a glass.

"Yeah, I love your hair too. It's incredibly black and I love to run my fingers through those long silky locks." Bobby slid down onto the floor, rested his back against the sofa and allowed Nicholas to feed him a bite of pizza. "You're not mad with me because I took off like that?"

"No, I'm not mad with you. How can I? But you can make it up to me tonight." Nicholas took a sip of his wine and savoured Bobby's hungry expression. He'd never understand why people were so scared of mutants. Bobby was one of the kindest persons he'd ever met. "Just don't freeze my little toe again!" He remembered Bobby's little payback a few nights ago when Nick had refused to get up for classes. He'd wanted to spend the day with his new lover, but Bobby had made it very clear that going to uni was important. "Too damn sensible," Nick muttered beneath his breath.

"Want me to freeze something else?" Bobby teased in return and stroked the bulge through his lover's jeans.

"Don't you dare do that, Robert Drake!" Nicholas giggled. "I had too much wine."

"Wanna move this to the bed?" Bobby inquired wickedly. They'd decided to wait with making love until they felt more secure in this relationship, but that didn't stop them from exploring their bodies and giving each other pleasure. "Or do you have to study?"

"I need to finish a paper on the French Revolution, but I can do that in the morning." Nicholas smiled, got up and pulled Bobby towards the bedroom. "Come on, sweetheart. I want to touch you."

Smiling, Bobby didn't resist and followed his lover into the bedroom.

///

Valentine's Day

"Get up, sleepyhead!" Warren poked his lover playfully. "It's time for our morning run!" Looking down at the dishevelled Cajun he grinned smugly. These last 2 weeks had been the best of his life. Remy was a passionate lover and although they hadn't gone all the way yet, the physical side to their relationship had turned out better than he'd ever hoped.

"Let me sleep!" Remy groaned playfully. He was fully awake, but determined not to give in easily. "Make it wort' my while!" From under the lashes of his right eye he peeked at Warren and sighed. His lover was fully clothed, wearing sweats and too awake for this time of day… correction, morning!

"It's 1000 AM, Remy! Time to get up and to start moving." Ten days ago they'd started to run 4 miles each morning and their stamina was almost back to its old level. "Wolvie is getting impatient. You know how much he loves to run in the morning!"

Remy groaned, pretending annoyance, but secretly he loved teasing Warren. "Have mercy, ange! It's Valentine's Day! You're supposed to pamper me all day long!"

Warren laughed warmly. "Come on, lazy Cajun!" He grabbed the comforter and threw it onto the floor. The sight of Remy's naked body made his heart beat a faster rhythm. He'd completely forgotten that they'd ended up doing a striptease last night and Remy had won after adding his special lap dance act. "I could eat you, Rem," he said teasingly and wondered about Remy's blush. At times his lover seemed oddly vulnerable.

"You no fun!" Remy pouted, but then stretched his body and slowly got to his feet. Suddenly his eyes lit up. "Ah, today I get my present!"

"Shit…" Warren teased in return. "I forgot where I hid it from your greedy eyes."

Remy ignored the remark and strolled into the bathroom. "Can' we skip runnin' today?"

Warren grinned and pointed at the doorway. Impatiently, Wolvie paced the corridor. "Does that answer your question?"

Remy sighed, splashed some water onto his face and slipped into some sweats as well. He might dislike the running routine, but he loved taking a shower with Warren afterwards to get cleaned up. "Can' disappoint Wolvie," he whispered amused and put on his cross trainers. "When do I get my present, ange?"

"Keep pushing me and I'll make you wait until tomorrow," Warren quipped. He turned around and left the room.

Reluctantly, Remy followed and threw a regretful glance at their warm bed, which Warren had shared with him only minutes ago. As he walked outside he licked his lips at the sight of Warren doing his stretching exercises. Sneaking up on his lover, he stood behind Warren and grabbed his lover's hips, pulling Warren's ass closer to his groin.

Warren's smile grew warmer and was coloured with passion and desire. "Later, Cajun! Work comes before pleasure!" Wriggling back, he grew aroused at the mere sensation of Remy's erection pressing against his buttocks. Melancholy, he thought back to all the wonderful intimate moments they'd shared and hoped that Remy would one day be ready to make love to him. But taking it slowly like this was the right thing to do. Warren knew that.

"Let's get dis over wid den. Last one home makes breakfast!" And before Warren had a chance to respond, Remy took off into the forest, Wolvie hot on his trial.

"You little…" Warren bit down the rest of the remark, too happy that Remy was back up to his old tricks. Trying to make up for lost time he started running as well.

///

"Hum… bien! You're a good cook, ange!" Remy leaned back, rubbing his well-stuffed belly. Warren had finished last and had prepared breakfast without complaining about unfair treatment… after they'd taken a very relaxing shower. Mentally, Remy giggled. Seeing Warren come was always an amazing sight. A sight, which he loved very much and got to see every morning… and sometimes during the evening as well!

Remy got up to help Warren to do the dishes and used the moment to study his lover. Today was the big day. At least, that was what Remy had decided. He wasn't sure though he could go through with his plan. Could he make love to Warren or would painful memories or even flashbacks keep him back? He wanted to love Warren the way his lover deserved to be loved.

Two days ago they'd gone back to Dublin and without telling Warren, he'd bought some stuff. Condoms… don' even know if we need dem. We should discuss dat… I got tested in de hospital after Antarctica and I'm clean… mais what 'bout him? And lube… lots of lube… Thinking about taking Warren made him nervous. What if he hurt his lover? It wasn't like he had a lot of expertise and he wanted Warren to remember his first time as beautiful.

"You're awfully quiet," Warren mused aloud, finishing his part of the boring chore. Standing behind his lover he folded his arms around Remy's waist. "What are you brooding about this time?"

"I was wonderin'," Remy started, "You want to open de present I got you?"

"You got me a present too?" Warren smiled. "I should have known. What did you get me, love?"

His teasing mood disappeared and Remy pulled his lover onto the couch. "Sit down. I'll get it."

Warren shook his head. "Let me get yours as well."

After staring at each other for a long moment they both ran off in different directions, trying to make it back first. Warren won this time and he sunk onto the couch, hiding his gift behind his back. Remy arrived a moment later and dropped onto the sofa next to him.

"Who goes first?"

"What if we give the presents simultaneously?" Warren suggested with a grin.

"Like dat idea!" Remy fumbled behind his back. "On de count of t'ree… one, two, t'ree!" With a victorious smile Remy presented the small box to his lover. Stunned, he realized that Warren was offering him a similar jewellery box.

Both burst out laughing and Warren was the first to calm down. "What if we bought the exact same thing?"

"Would prove we're telepat's as well!" Remy said jokingly and accepted Warren's gift. Expectedly, he looked at his lover. "Can I open it?"

"Rem, before you do that…" Warren took a deep breath. "You still owe me an answer."

Remy immediately understood what Warren was talking about and lowered his eyes. He'd been expecting this one. "Remy Wort'ington, non?"

"Yeah, you got an answer for me, love? I can wait if you need more time." Warren didn't want to pressure Remy, but he had been living with this uncertainty for 2 weeks now and he needed the answer.

"Mebbe you should open my present instead… it holds my answer," Remy whispered nervously. How could he possibly deny Warren? He loved the man so much it hurt.

Equally nervous, Warren took a deep breath and opened the gift box. "Oh, Rem… maybe you are a telepath!" he whispered touched. Inside the box was a Claddagh ring, made of white gold. Twelve brilliant cut diamonds surrounded the central heart shaped diamond. "Rem…" he sighed and then looked his lover in the eyes. "I take it this is yes?"

"Oui, I want to spend de rest of my life wid you, ange," Remy whispered softly. "I couldn' decide at de shop." Remy looked at the ring; uncertain whether he'd made the right choice. His eyes were full of doubt. "Liked dis one best. Mais if you want a different one you can…"

"I love it, Rem!" Warren exclaimed happily. "Now open yours." He didn't touch the ring yet, waiting for the right moment, waiting for Remy to open his gift.

Remy's hands trembled when he flipped back the lid. "Oh, cher…" Words failed him as he looked at the Claddagh ring in his hands. Trained thief's eyes immediately roamed the valuable ring, crafted in 18ct yellow gold and set with twelve brilliant cut diamonds, which surrounded a sparkling heart shaped diamond. "You know de meanin' of dis gift, cher?" Remy asked after finding his breathing again.

"Yeah," Warren replied with a sigh and took Remy's ring out of the box to offer it to his lover. "The ring epitomises the expression of lasting love and eternal friendship. The heart symbolises love, the hands friendship and the crown loyalty and fidelity. It's how I feel about you, love. Can I…?"

Shyly, Remy locked eyes with Warren. "Put it on my finger?"

"Yeah, how do you want to wear it?" Warren asked slyly.

"Cher," Remy sighed nervously. "Only one way for me to wear it, non?"

"Want me to put it on your left hand with the heart turned inwards?" Warren cocked his head, still wondering how they'd ended up with similar gifts.

"Dat means our love is forever, non?" Remy whispered, hoping he remembered right. Jean-Luc had told him about the Claddagh rings when he'd been training to become a thief, telling him how valuable these rings were. "Can' believe we picked de same t'ing."

Smiling, Warren put the ring on his lover's finger. "You're mine forever now, Rem."

Remy swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat. "Je t'aime, cher." In turn, Remy took hold of the ring he'd bought his lover and put it on Warren's finger. "Feels like I'm marryin' you," he whispered, suddenly glad he'd told Warren about Belladonna and his ill fated marriage late one night when he'd tried to explain his hesitance to accept Warren's proposal. That night, Warren's eyes had radiated understanding.

"But we are going to stay together until death do us part."

"Don' say dat, cher," Remy whispered and shivered. "Want to be wid you forever." Feeling a little shy, he stared at the ring at his finger. It actually felt like it belonged there. Odd.

"I'm glad you like my gift, love." Amused, Warren followed Remy's mesmerized stare. "What do you want to do the rest of the day?"

"I…" Remy wavered and hesitantly locked eyes with his lover. "Want to make love wid you, cher."

Warren's heart missed a beat. "Are you sure about that, Rem? We can wait." Their love life was already filled with passion and bliss. Remy had given him more love than any other of his lovers.

"I'm sure," Remy stated determinedly. "Mais I would like to talk 'bout it first."

Pleased, Warren leaned back, pulling his lover into an embrace. "That would make me feel way more comfortable too."

Playing with a strand of golden hair, Remy nodded his head. "You still want me to take you?"

"Rem, you need to ask?" He grinned. Their intimate moments had focused on one particular theme lately, Remy making him moan, squirm and beg by putting his tongue and fingers to work. "I'd love to feel you inside me, Rem." The sheer memory of the things Remy had done to him with those talented tongue and fingers instantly made him hard. "You've been so gentle with me, so careful. I love it when you take control like that. I don't know how it will feel to have you inside me. You're a lot bigger than those three fingers you use to make me beg, but I'm sure we can make this work."

Remy licked his lips. "I'll be careful. Don' want to hurt you, cher."

"I know that, Rem." Warren kissed his lover's lips and then cocked his head. "I take it you got tested while you were in the hospital in Houston?"

"Oui, dey checked on it. I'm clean, cher…" Remy wondered how to phrase this. "Want to use condoms?"

Warren realized the reason behind the question. "I always used a condom when I had sex with Bets. Always practiced safe sex. I slept around a lot in my wild days… I learned to be careful. After Betsy and I split up I got tested. Clean as a whistle."

"We're not goin' to use condoms den?"

"What would you prefer?" Warren returned the question. Now that he'd committed to this man for life he would love to break down all barriers.

Remy considered the question. "We can do wit'out dem."

"Let me guess, You already bought them? Guess they will never leave the package!"

"And lube," Remy confessed.

"You've been planning this, sneaky Cajun!" Warren teased warmly and suckled the skin near Remy's collarbone, leaving behind a passion mark.

"I wanted to be ready," Remy chuckled. Talking about this was taking away his nervousness. "Did you pick a position from de gay kama sutra?"

"I've been thinking about that," Warren admitted. "I would love to see your face when we make love."

Remy nodded his head. "Feel de same way, cher… mais your wings might get in de way."

"I'm flexible," Warren assured Remy. "And I also would like to have some control."

"Bien…" Remy rested his head against his lover's chest. "T'ink I know a way for you to have control, see my face and me still bein' on top."

"Want to share?" Warren asked in a wicked tone. "I'm curious here."

"You trust me to…" Remy's voice trailed off.

"I trust you to be gentle and to take good care of me… judging from our current love life I get the creepy suspicion we're going to blow our heads of… figuratively speaking…" Warren laughed.

"Tonight? I want to make love to you tonight," Remy whispered in a heavy tone as Warren's tongue sneaked up his throat. "Cher…"

Greedily, Warren nibbled on Remy's ear lobe. "Tonight," he agreed and gazed affectionately at the ring Remy was wearing… his ring!

///

"Dinner was great, Rem! Never knew Cajun food tastes this great."

"Merde," Remy teased, "Means I get to do all de cookin' 'round here, non?"

"Yeah." Warren loved the soft music floating through the living room. Wolvie'd left the house to roam the woods, trying to get rid of his pent up energy from being stuck inside most of the day. They had the house to themselves and knowing what was going to happen tonight made Warren a little nervous. Looking at Remy's spectacular eyes, Warren drew Remy deeper into his arms. Remy trembled slightly, telling Warren he wasn't the only one nervous here. Warren wasn't sure whether he should bring the subject of making love up again. He didn't want to kill the delightful expectation floating through their bodies, but he'd blow this off if Remy felt too uncomfortable.

Maybe, maybe Warren should just let things happen instead. "Rem? Love you." Remy shot him a brilliant smile and Warren relaxed slightly. Leaning in closer, Warren instigated their first kiss, turning Remy around until his lover faced him, straddling his hips. "I love kissing you," Warren whispered affectionately. Yes, this would work, but they needed to take things slow.

Parting his teeth, Remy allowed Warren entry and engaged his lover's tongue in a lazy duel. He placed his hands on Warren's chest, feeling the hardening nipples pressed against the shirt. "Tell me you want me?" he asked awkwardly.

"I want you, Rem." His words were firm and determined. "Do you want me?"

"Cher… forever… want you forever…" Remy looked into his lover's blue eyes and knew what he had to do, knew he had to set aside his fears. Fear of failure, fear of memories, fear of disappointing. I'll do dat for you, cher. Love you more dan life itself. Remy dropped his final barriers and turned the tables, chasing Warren's tongue in turn.

Warren leaned back into the comfort of the sofa, arching his hips in want.

Need to stop thinkin' 'bout dis… Remy reminded himself. This was about feelings.

Warren recognized the fears in his lover's eyes because he'd faced them himself until seconds ago. But he concentrated on lover's body pressed against his, licking Remy's lips and even suckling that delicious tongue. "Want you, Rem. Really, really want you to make love to me."

The whispered words eased Remy's worries. "Want to make love to you, cher." Pressing his body against his lover, he relished the sensation of Warren's arousal against his right hand. "Cher?"

Warren opened his eyes at hearing that tone. Remy's smile was warm and genuine.

"I'm a healer, non? So I can even heal a scratch my fingernails might leave behind?"

"I think so, Rem." It was amazing to see the change in his lover's eyes. This healing power was Remy's blessing and it'd strengthen the Cajun. "You can't hurt me, love."

"Oui," Remy whispered enthusiastically. Why should he be nervous? Dere's no need to be nervous! "Cher," Remy moaned his pleasure, once more possessing his lover's lips. "Move dis to de bed? Don' want to end up makin' love to you on de couch." Their first time should be special.

Warren wrapped his arms around his lover and rose to his feet, tightly holding onto Remy. "Want to tell me what position you got in mind?"

Remy shook his head. "Non, not yet, cher!" Teasingly, he pinched his lover's buttocks. "Want you in bed, cher."

"Oh, Rem," Warren whispered lost. "You're killing me here!"

"I can see dat!" His right hand brushed the fabric of Warren's jeans and gave the hiding erection a gentle squeeze. Remy pulled Warren upstairs and pushed Warren into the bedroom. "Get into bed, cher."

Warren licked his lips. "Only if you join me." He crawled onto the bed on all fours. Suddenly, a hand lunged for him, pulling him onto his back. "Rem!" he exclaimed and tugged at the Cajun's shirt. "Get this off," he whispered in an unexpectedly soft tone. "God, you have no idea how badly I want to make love to you."

Remy sighed. "I feel de same way, cher." Agile fingers stripped off Warren's shirt and then moved to unbutton the jeans.

"Do you have the lube ready?" Warren quipped, resting his head against the headboard. Remy's hands moved over his body, removing his underwear and socks. Naked, Warren laid waiting for his love to make the next move.

Remy slid off the bed and slowly removed his shirt.

"Another striptease?" Warren remarked teasingly, running his right hand over his chest to touch his hard cock. "Lose the clothes and get over here, Rem!"

Quickly, Remy stepped out of his jeans and underwear and watched his lover from where he stood. "You're beautiful, ange." His heart raged, his blood sizzled and pooled in his groin. "Lube?" Remy suddenly remembered Warren's question. He hurried over to the bathroom to retrieve it. The sight that awaited him when he got back, stopped him in his tracks.

Warren grinned smugly, stroking himself in a lazy rhythm, squeezing his sac. "You like seeing me like this, huh?"

"You got no shame, cher!" Remy crawled onto the bed and placed the lube next to the pillow. Straddling his lover's hips, Remy realized this position had to be uncomfortable for Warren. "Your wings, cher. Dey look crushed." Stretched out on the bed, they looked lifeless.

"I'm fine," Warren assured Remy, running his hands over his lover's chest, pinching a nipple and teasingly brushing the tip of Remy's cock. Gazing affectionately at his lover he mutely tried to tell Remy that he was ready for the next step.

Remy swallowed hard, touched by the trust in those blue eyes. "You're mine, cher," he whispered, leaned in closer and pressed his lips onto Warren's throat. Trailing down, he licked a nipple, suckled the other neglected one and then made his way down to the belly button. Flicking his tongue, Remy dipped inside.

Warren giggled. "Stop that, crazy Cajun! You know damn well I'm ticklish!"

"Oui, I know." Remy's hand slipped back to roll a nipple between his fingers. His other hand cupped Warren's hard erection and Remy softly blew at the tip, which already leaked precum.

Lazily, Warren caught his lover's gaze. "Love you, Rem."

Remy looked up, but then focused on the sensitive flesh in his hand. Slowly, he stroked his lover's cock, gently massaging the sac. His tongue returned to lavish his lover's skin with caresses before it dipped into the cleft, licking and pleasuring.

"Rem." The sigh escaped Warren unintended and he barely resisted closing his eyes in bliss. Warren wanted to see Remy move over his body. Gripping the sheets hard, Warren arched his back to give Remy better access.

"Cher?" Remy slipped a pillow underneath his lover's buttocks. "Want me to take you?"

"Dumb question, Cajun." Warren bit his lip as one lubricated finger touched his entrance. Damn! It was slick and easily slid inside. Pushing down, he tried to take in more. They'd done this before and it still surprised Warren how much he wanted this. "Two?" he begged.

"You want two fingers?" Remy asked teasingly, grabbed the lube again and squeezed more onto his fingers. "You're a vision, cher. Seein' you like dis… want to be 'side you."

"Soon, love," Warren whispered, recognizing the want and passion in those golden eyes. "Soon, we'll be one…" And damn! He wanted Remy inside, wanted to take this last step.

Remy suckled a nipple and then slowly inserted two fingers, surprised at how easily Warren took them. Suddenly, he realized that his fingertips tingled. It had become a familiar feeling during these last two weeks. "Cher?"

"Whatever you're doing, Rem… don't stop!" he pleaded, throwing back his head and moaning his need. "You feel warm…" There was this incredible warmth inside his body, relaxing every muscle.

Now that his lover felt relaxed, Remy added a third finger and almost lost control himself. Remy nearly came hearing the yelp of ecstasy that left Warren's lips.

"I'm ready, Rem… please take me," Warren panted, excitement and pleasure coursing through his body.

"Oui," Remy acknowledged, relieved that his actions only brought pleasure. Determinedly, Remy pushed the last tormenting images of the Antiquary hurting him from his mind. He expeled them, throwing them from his mind and filled the empty places with the love he saw in Warren's eyes.

Surprised, Warren gave in when Remy pulled him into an upright position. His Cajun lover rested his back against the headrest and Warren licked his lips, amazed at the evident need in Remy's eyes. His eyes strolled down to lock on his lover's impressive erection. Warren crawled closer to Remy on all fours.

"Cher?" Remy handed him the lube. "Use plenty."

Slowly, Warren coated his lover's cock with the lube. "Just don't come yet!" he warned Remy. Looking into his lover's eyes, Warren's hands froze briefly. He'd never seen Remy this relaxed, this comfortable, this… trusting before.

Remy quavered at the touch. "You set de pace, cher," he whispered, pulling Warren onto his lap, positioning his lover above his erection. "You want me? You have me."

Unexpectedly, urged on by the draped expressing in his lover's eyes, Warren leaned in and possessively claimed Remy's lips. Suckling the tip of Remy's tongue, Warren placed his hands on his lover's shoulders. He startled briefly, feeling the head of his lover's cock against his entrance, but it felt good. Pushing down, Warren stared into Remy's eyes. He paused to let his body adjust to the invasive feeling and then pushed down again. "Geeze, Rem…" Warren whispered breathlessly. Loving every minute of it, he took in the rest of his lover's erection until his buttocks met warm flesh.

"You're amazin'," Remy repeated, taking in his lover's feverish expression. Reaching down, Remy curled his fingers around his lover's throbbing cock. "Want to see your wings," he asked softly.

Obliging his lover Warren spread his wings, throwing back his head. His body was now used to the large presence inside him and he exploratory started to move. The unexpected friction made Warren groans. It was such an exquisite sensation!

"You look hot ridin' me like dat, ange," Remy whispered hoarsely. "We're makin' love, cher." He moaned low and wanting as Warren changed their rhythm, moving faster. One hand caressed the soft feathers. "Je t'aime, cher." Thrusting carefully, he tried to hit his lover's prostate which each thrust.

"Rem, I'm not going to last much longer," Warren whispered, tone filled with bliss and lust, as Remy's cock rubbed his prostate over and over again, driving him over the edge. Reaching down, Warren claimed his lover's right hand and twined their fingers. "Kiss me?"

Remy reacted at once and pulled his lover closer. Kissing him passionately, Remy sensed Warren tense up and fisted his lover's cock harder.

"Rem…" Warren breathed the name and came hard in his lover's hand. His orgasm hit Warren with unexpected force, realizing Remy was still inside him. "Rem," Leaning in closer, Warren roughly pressed his lips on Remy's, parted his lover's teeth and entered the delicious warmth.

Unable to whisper, Remy relayed his message with his eyes, telling Warren about the depth of his love. Warren's muscle clenched him, sending delightful shivers into his cock and Remy couldn't hold back any longer. Clutching his lover's head in his hands, Remy deepened the kiss, taking their breath away.

Warren's eyes grew big, as he accepted his lover's come inside his body. "Wow," he whispered as Remy released his lips. Warren panted hard, trying to regulate his heartbeat. "Wow," he repeated, staring into his lover's sated eyes.

Remy nodded his head, feeling a little shaky. "Wow," he agreed and folded his arms around his lover, savouring the waves of ecstasy running through his body. He felt alive. Alive, wanted and loved.

For long moments Warren held onto his lover and yielded quickly when Remy laid him down onto his back. He cringed at the loss, as Remy pulled back, feeling empty. "Rem," he whispered, breathlessly.

Hearing the affection in that one word, Remy soothingly stroked his lover's belly and then massaged the tense muscles in Warren's legs. "Dat was de greatest gift someone ever gave me."

"Feeling is mutual," Warren panted, enjoying the sensation of Remy's fingers caressing his skin.

"Should clean you up, cher. You're a mess," Remy whispered shakily, still impressed by the intensity of their lovemaking. Nobody had ever loved him like that!

"Wait, Rem!" Warren reached for him. "I don't mind being a mess as long we're a mess together!" He didn't want his lover to leave the bed. "I want to cuddle."

The honest tone touched Remy's soul. Wrapping his arms around his lover, Remy pulled Warren close and stroked the feathers, which were covered by a thin layer of sweat. "Merci, cher… no one ever did dis for me."

"I should be thanking you, Rem! I never came like that before! My body's tingling!" Snuggling up, he giggled at the sticky come that clung to their bellies. "Maybe we can continue this later in the shower?" he hinted mischievously. His gaze came to rest on the ring Remy was wearing and Warren sighed deeply. "The rest of our life is going to be like this," Warren promised passionately.

Remy held onto Warren, cradling, cherishing this special love. His power told him that whatever damage he'd done while making love to Warren had already healed. "What 'bout spendin' de rest of de day in bed?"

"Even better idea!" Warren decided happily and rested his head on Remy's chest. Loving the up and down movement of his lover's chest, he claimed Remy's other hand as well, curling his fingers around them. "Forever, love."

"Forever, ange."

///

"What are you doing out here, Rem?" Warren walked up to his lover, pulling the blanket closer to his naked body. Waking up without Remy had startled Warren. The bed had been cold and empty.

"Just t'inkin', cher," Remy said reassuringly as he watched the moon and stars. He'd gone outside to clear his mind. "It's de first time I'm really happy."

Warren wrapped his arms around his lover's waist. "Are you coming back to bed now? You feel cold."

"In five minutes, cher." Remy smiled and rubbed his lover's cold hands. "Still can' believe I got dis lucky."

Warren nuzzled the back of Remy's neck and laughed warmly. "You smell of candy, Rem. Honey and sugar… You never smelled like this before." Sensing his lover's unspoken question Warren added, "And I love it."

"Go and warm de bed for me, cher?" Remy leaned back into the embrace, relishing Warren's closeness.

"Don't take too long, love." Reluctantly, Warren released him and headed back into the house, feeling whole and completely at ease.

Remy walked away from the house and placed his right hand against a tree trunk. "Merci, mon Dieu," he whispered sincerely.

"You're happy."

The tingling voice startled Remy and he spun around, ready to take on any unexpected assailant. But Remy froze at the sight of the old priest underneath the oak tree. "Père Etienne?" Remy stuttered, puzzled.

"You should know better by now," the angel chided Remy amused. "But you may call me père Etienne for now. I prefer to walk amongst men in this form."

Stunned, Remy remained speechless. His eyes scanned the old face. "You changed into an ange… in de church…"

"I am an angel," he replied and studied his former protégé. "You did well, Remy."

Remy quavered at the praise. "I tried hard."

"You found love. You found inner strength. I'm proud of you, my friend."

"I don' know what to call you," Remy admitted honestly.

"As I said before, père Etienne will do for now."

"Père," Remy started awkwardly, eyes locked on the being that had saved him that night in the church, who'd taken him in and had given him the strength to continue, even without his memory. "I need answers."

"I know that. I'm here to answer your questions."

Remy's eyes followed every move his old friend made. "Why me?" he asked at last. "I never expected to see you 'gain, not after what I saw at de church."

The angel smiled kindly. "Your eyes have changed," he said knowingly and sat down on a large rock. "Come, sit with me and we'll talk."

"Oui, de eyes," Remy mumbled and carefully sat down next to his unexpected visitor. It felt seriously weird to talk to an angel, a real angel.

"And you also posses the power to heal."

"Oui," Remy replied, puzzled by the expression on the angel's face. He still couldn't believe that an angel had taken him in and had cared for him. And now this angel was back? Why? "How do you know 'bout de healin' power?"

"Because this power is your birth right, Remiel," he replied with a warm smile. "All angels possess the power to heal." He watched Remy closely, hoping his protégé understood.

"All anges?" Remy's eyes grew big, but then a mocking laugh, sharp and biting, escaped his lips. "Le diable blanc," Remy whispered lost and wondered if this angel really knew whom he was talking to. Appearances were so damn deceiving. Remy constantly needed to remind himself that this wasn't a human he was talking to.

"Stop the self-pity. It doesn't become you, Remiel. You always were the strong one."

Remy's breathing quickened. "What are you talkin' 'bout?"

"You really don't remember, do you?" A quick glance confirmed his suspicion. "I'm surprised. But then again, maybe the Antiquary locked your memories away."

Trembling, Remy got to his feet and paced furiously. "I don' understand, mon ange," he whispered lost. "What are you tryin' to tell me?" His pleading tone revealed his uncertainty.

"Let me show you," he said and touched Remy's brow. A spark of golden energy left his fingers and seeped through the skin, into the tissue and bones. "Remember."

Remy staggered. Mon Dieu! That golden energy felt familiar. It was the same tingling sensation he'd felt in his fingertips every time he'd used his healing power. Delicious warmth slid through his mind and he fell to his knees, hugging his waist.

"Remember."

The voice called to him from across the golden veil that lifted before his eyes and memories, images Remy had never believed possible flashed through his mind. He'd once had wings, possessed powers that no mortal man could understand. But his mind wasn't equipped to deal with the memory overload. "Help me," Remy whispered, as a million voices sang in his mind, singing words of praise.

"Don't fight it," the angel adviced. "We can't hurt you." Throwing back his head he tuned into the voices and the strengthened connection set of his transformation.

Finally, Remy found the strength to look up and he swallowed hard, finding the angel he'd seen in the church kneeling next to him. Père Etienne, the illusion, was gone. A reassuring hand came to rest on his arm. The large wings, in color so unlike his lover's, sheltered Remy from the moonlight.

"Do you remember?"

"Oui," Remy whispered barely audible. "I chose to come to Eart'." Remy fought that insight, but could no longer deny it. "We were broders once."

"We still are, Remiel and when you die, part of your soul will return to heaven."

Remy's eyes filled with tears and he didn't fight them as they flowed down his cheeks.

"Live your life, Remiel. You've been given a rare gift. You found true love in this form, in this lifetime. Cherish your heritage. Be proud of who and what you are." He smiled kindly, squeezing Remy's shoulder. "You were never alone, but you never knew how to find us. Now that the evil one is dead his spells disappeared with him."

"I was an ange once…" Remy whispered, too baffled to really understand the meaning of those words.

"An angelic child with devil's eyes. We knew that the body you would inhabit was that of a mutant. It would make you stronger and give you the means to fight the Antiquary. But we never expected the thief moving in."

"Poppa made up for his mistake," Remy defended his father. "Jean-Luc saved my life."

"Yes, you're right. Jean-Luc LeBeau gave you all the love he's capable of. You're truly blessed, Remiel." Gracefully, he rose from the ground, pulling Remy with him. "You should go to Warren. He's cold."

Remy cocked his head and laughed. It amazed him that this angel accepted that he loved a man when some humans couldn't, but decided not to question it. "Can I tell Warren?"

"You can tell him," the angel replied tenderly. "Your power will continue to grow."

Remy nodded his head. "I feel it buildin'."

"Use your power well, brother," the angel whispered affectionately. "We will meet again," he promised as he spread his wings. His task here was done.

"Would you… would you tell me your name?" Remy whispered hesitantly. "De way you talked… do I know you?" A golden light shone from the angel's eyes and took Remy aback, as he suddenly felt overwhelmed.

"You know my name, Remiel." After smiling one last time, his wings took him to the sky. But he sent one last message into the night. "You prayed at the feet of my statue in the church, Remy. I'm Raphael."

Gasping for air, Remy knew it was the truth. Remy looked up, watching as the archangel faded from view. "And finally, I know who I am too."

///

Warren cracked open one eye and pulled his lover close to his chest. "You're cold." From the corner of his eye he caught the time on the clock. "You stayed out for at least one hour."

"Needed to t'ink." Remy shrugged it of. "Cher? Want to stay in bed wid you all night and day."

"Wicked Cajun!" Warren teased and kissed his lover's lips. "Do you have any idea how much I love you?"

"Oui, actually I do." Remy looked up shyly. "Can feel it."

Warren's right hand tangled in the auburn locks. "Ehm, Rem?"

"Oui?" Remy locked eyes with his lover, seeing the sparkling expression.

"You got some golden locks too," Warren realized, fingering a strand of hair. "Love it."

"Cher," Remy started, ignoring the comment for now, remembering Raphael's words that his powers would gain in strength, "I t'ink I'm ready to go back to Westchester… to face Rogue and den… den I want to spend de rest of my life wid you. No more X-Men. No more duties. No more pain. Just bliss."

Pleased, Warren nodded his head. "We will find a way to help the people who need it most, love. We'll use our money to achieve that goal."

"De children," Remy agreed. "De sick. We can make a difference."

"Agreed. But for now… let's cuddle?"

Remy grinned. "Oui, want to hold you for de rest of our lives."

///

Westchester

Impatiently, Scott paced the arrival hall of the airport. Warren's corporate flight was running late! He'd offered to use the Black Bird to pick them up, but Remy and Warren had politely reclined. Checking the time, Scott ordered a cup of steaming coffee and returned to the window, hoping to locate Warren's plane.

Things had changed at the mansion and it was still getting worse. Storm still gave Bobby the cold shoulder and had completely ignored Nicholas when Bobby had introduced him to the team. I like Nicholas, Scott admitted. The young man seemed sincere and devoted to Bobby. Good, Drake deserved true love!

Then there was Betsy. Ever since he'd told the team about Remy being alive and his brother and Warren being lovers, Betsy had turned icy cold. Even Jean avoided getting close to Bets because of 'the mental cold she radiates," as Jean puts it. Scott shivered, remembering Betsy's venomous looks and was determined to keep a close eye on Warren and Remy while they visited the mansion!

But his biggest problem was Rogue. Since Joseph had ended their relationship she'd been throwing tantrums. She was after attention, but after the stunt she'd pulled on Remy, Scott could no longer find it in his heart to play these mind games to please her. The professor had told him that he'd offered Rogue to help her deal with the changes in her life and the problems she faced, but she'd refused all help. Yes, he'd stay close to his brother, not trusting Rogue to leave Remy and Warren in peace. Seeing the two men happy might set of another tantrum and God only knew what Rogue could do in such rage!

"Scott?"

The voice made Scott jump and quickly he spun around. "Warren! Don't sneak up on me!" The sly grin that greeted him pleases Scott. Warren looked extremely happy! Looking about, Scott quickly located Remy, who was walking up to them while sipping some coffee. Scott sucked in his breath, as Remy removed his sunglasses. The gold on black eyes still took Scott aback, but golden locks had also appeared, mingling with auburn. "Damn, the two of you look happy!" Then, he noticed the rings.

"Mebbe dat's 'cause we are happy," Remy whispered shyly, but gave in as Scott pulled him into a hesitant hug. Remy reminded himself that they were brothers and felt a little more comfortable.

"Are you're only staying the night?" Scott inquired and helped them carry their luggage.

"Oui, we're leaving for Italy tomorrow. Ange wants to show me Venice." Remy sighed. Now came the hard part. "Cyke… Scott," he corrected his mistake, seeing his brother's disapproving glance. "Ange wants an commitment ceremony and den… we're goin' to Venice, Rome, At'ens and I was wonderin'… would you be my best man?" There, he'd said it. Now he had to wait.

"Remy, I'd love to!" Scott exclaimed happily. "This is just what I need… happy faces and good vibes!"

"That bad?" Warren had noticed the way Scott's shoulders had slumped forward when his friend had thought no one was watching him.

"Well, it's hard to keep the peace at the mansion right now. Betsy and Rogue are giving me headaches."

"Betsy's at the mansion?" Warren slowed down and suddenly Remy's hand rubbed his back. A warm and soothing sensation slipped inside his mind and Warren welcomed it. He caught Remy's eyes. "We'll face them together."

Remy nodded his head, suddenly understanding that Warren felt way more uncomfortable about this confrontation than he did himself. Ever since finding out about his heritage a serene sense of acceptance had settled onto his soul. "We can do dis, cher."

They got into the car and Warren smiled, almost crushing a bag of Twinkies on the back seat as he wanted to sit down. "Did Bobby borrow your car?"

"Actually, Hank, Bobby and Nicholas 'stole' it to go on a Twinkie run," Scott replied fondly. "They still think I never noticed it."

Warren shook his head and laughed warmly. "You want one, Rem?" He offered his lover a Twinkie. Remy accepted and suddenly a sweet fragrance floated through the car. The smell of candy and sugar got to Warren and a fierce blush settled on his face.

Remy shot Warren an amused glance, seeing the straining erection press against his lover's jeans. Leaning in closer, he whispered softly, only meant for his lover's ears, "You can' eat dat wit'out growin' aroused?"

"What can I say?" Warren grinned smugly. "You smell like this when we make love."

Scott pretended not to hear the silent exchange, but smiled nonetheless.

///

"Remy!"

Before Remy realized what was happening, Jean slammed into him, hugging him breathless. "Chere!" Remy managed to choke out. "Need to breat'e!"

"Remy LeBeau! Don't you ever dare to scare me like that again!" Jean chided him. Happiness and anger showed on her face. "I thought you died out there!" Briefly, she was speechless, seeing the golden eyes. My God, what happened to you?

"I'm sorry, Jean. Honestly. Mais I lost my memory and…"

"I forgive you," she quipped and hugged him again. "I need to reassure myself that you are real!" Next, her eyes drifted to Warren and she gasped seeing the expression in his eyes. Both men had changed. There was such love, such contentment in their minds that it took her aback and then there was this warmth inside Remy's mind that stunned her.

"I'm so glad you decided to visit!" Bobby ran down the stairs, smiling happily. "Nicholas is here as well! This is so great! I'm sure you'll like him!" Determinedly, he grabbed Remy's hand and gently squeezed it. "It's so good to have you here! Hank and I spent the last few hours in the kitchen cooking. He's got this secret recipe for lasagne and he wouldn't tell me, but then I got the idea to bribe him with Twinkies and it worked!"

Remy smiled warmly, touched by the kindness that shone from Bobby's eyes. For the first time in his life Remy saw Robert Drake the way he really was and he felt honered to be Bobby's friend.

Standing in the hall, Scott wanted to urge them to walk into the living room when Storm suddenly appeared. She looked regal and almost emotionless. Her eyes burned with locked away feelings.

The emotional distance between them made Remy cringe. He sensed her disapproval at the sight of Warren holding his hand. Poor Stormy. Life ain' black and white. Dere's not only good and evil, right or wrong, dere's also grey. I hope you'll realize dat. I don' want to lose your friendship… or did I already lose it?

Remy noticed how Bobby tensed up now that Ororo was close and he couldn't stay quiet. Remy had to at least try and make her understand. "Don' you see how much you're hurtin' us, Stormy? Bobby, Warren and moi are still de same. Bein' in love wid a man doesn' make us less wort'y of your friendship."

Storm's eyes grew big. Her lips opened as if to speak up, but then she turned and walked away.

"Stormy," Remy whispered shaken. "Please understand."

"She will," Bobby assured Remy. "Eventually." But he didn't feel as sure as he pretended. He could only hope Storm would try to understand and accept.

"Remy, Warren." Charles had heard Remy's plea and decided to join his students instead of waiting for them in the living room. Seeing Storm walk away showed Charles how much he'd failed as a mentor. Part of him couldn't believe Storm was this prejudiced. Yes, he'd failed.

"Professor," Remy nodded politely, uncertain what to say, feeling a stabbing pain. Charles Xavier had never given the order to search for him in Antarctica. Bobby and Scott had returned there on their own accord.

Warren's response was a little friendlier. "Sir," he stated pleased. "It's good to find you healthy and back at the mansion." He shuddered, remembering Onslaught.

"We cleaned your rooms," Bobby announced, "But I've got this feeling you will end up sharing tonight."

"Oui, want ange close," Remy whispered affectionately and enjoyed hearing Jean's giggle. "Mais we will leave in de mornin'."

"Rogue is in the living room," Charles informed them.

"Guess we better get this over with, Rem," Warren whispered after taking a deep breath. He didn't looking forward to this one!

///

Remy studied her from the doorway. Rogue sat in an armchair and her fingernails dug into the wood. He knew that expression; she was pissed.

"Rem?" Warren inquired, concerned.

"I'm bien, cher," Remy replied and stepped inside. "Rogue?"

She raised her eyes and stared at him. "Yuh still alive, sugah?" Her fingernails clawed deeper.

Distressed, he held her stare. Something bothered him but he couldn't label the feeling. "You left me to die," he pointed out to her, moving closer, knowing Warren and Scott were only a few steps behind him. "Why? I t'ought you loved me. Dat's what you told me." His anger was gone and he wondered why. A deep sadness washed over him, and he finally recognized the lost soul in front of him. Every time he looked at Warren, Scott, Jean, Bobby he saw the light in their eyes. But now that he looked at Rogue, he only saw darkness and she was drowning in it.

Rogue rose from the chair and strutted over to her former lover. "Ah loved yuh."

He knew the lie hearing her words. "You never did."

His words infuriated her. "How can yuh say that, traitor?"

"Don' cher," Remy whispered, holding Warren back who was getting angrier all the time. "She feeds of anger."

"What are yuh talking about, swamp rat?" Anger flashed in her eyes.

"I can' help you," Remy whispered eventually. It had taken him so long to see the truth! "I can see your soul, Rogue and it's pitch black. It wallows in darkness and I can' help you. You are de darkness. You embraced it a long time ago and it consumes you."

"Yuh are mad!" Rogue hissed. "My soul? It's yur soul, sugah that's pitch black! Ah didn't get the Morlocks killed! Ah didn't work for Sinister."

"Non, you didn'." Remy surprised himself as he managed a calm tone. "You stole and continue to steal bits and pieces of people's souls 'cause you feel so damn empty 'side."

Warren sucked in his breath, exchanging a concerned look with Scott. Rogue was pissed, about to lash out and Remy was much too close to her. Warren wanted his lover out of the room.

Rogue laughed venomously. "Ah hope Wings is a good fuck! That's what yuh always were after, sugah. Something Ah couldn't give yuh so yuh screw Wings instead? How does it feel, Flyboy? Being second choice?"

"Bitch!" Warren exploded with anger and was about to tackle her when strong arms held him back. "Let me go, Slim!"

"No way, Warren. She'll kill you," Scott stated determinedly. "She's playing you. Don't give her that much power. Remy understands," he pointed out and felt relieved to see the calm expression in his brother's eyes.

"I pity you, Rogue," Remy whispered sincerely. "You search for amour and will never find it. Not as long as you cling to dis darkness."

"Ah don't want yur fucking pity!" Rogue exclaimed infuriated, upset that her plan wasn't working. She'd planned on driving them apart, but seeing them together she knew her plan was bound to fail. So she resorted to plan B.

"Rem!" Warren tried to warn his lover, but was too late. Rogue wasn't wearing any gloves and forcefully she clutched the Cajun's head between her hands, pressing her lips on his.

"No!" Scott knew he had to act quickly, but shock slowed him down. As he tried to pull Rogue away from his brother, Scott realized his attempt was futile. She refused to let go.

Remy stared into her eyes, recognizing the need, the despair. I can' help you, Rogue.

Rogue's eyes widened, realizing that nothing happened. Remy's memories were still his and so was his life force. Her touch hadn't hurt him, hadn't drained him. "Bastard," she hissed as she pushed Remy away. She'd touched him and nothing had happened?

"You can' hurt me, Rogue. You're only hurtin' yourself," and it was the healer inside him who spoke the words. "Look 'side and see what you've become."

Rogue staggered away from him, rushed into the next room, shattered the window and flew away. Ah touched him and nothing happened! Tears flowed down her face, flying aimlessly, lost in the darkness of her own making.

"Rem? Are you okay? Fuck! My heart almost stopped when she touched you!" Protectively, Warren folded his arms around his lover. There was no trace of fear, hatred or anger in Remy's eyes and Warren swallowed hard. "Damn you Remy for taking such risks! I could have lost you!"

"Her soul is lost, ange…" Remy whispered, saddened. "I need to…"

Warren caught his lover as Remy fainted. "Dumb Cajun!" he chided affectionately. Seeing Scott's concerned expression, Warren quickly reassured his friend. "Remy will be fine. I guess he just needs time to recuperate."

Relieved, Scott nodded his head. "You want some privacy here?"

"That would be nice, yes." Warren carried his lover to the sofa, carefully laying him down. "I'm here, love, watching over you." Sitting down, Warren gently stroked the soft locks.

///

Betsy felt a sting of jealousy, seeing and feeling Warren's concern and love for the Cajun thief. He'd treated her like that once. Treated her like a princess, like a dream come true and then suddenly the illusion had shattered and she blamed a lot of people for that, anyone except herself. She blamed Gambit for gathering the Marauders who'd taken Warren's wings. She blamed Apocalypse for transforming Warren into Death and she blamed Warren himself, for not paying her enough attention. And now Gambit had moved in and seduced Warren. Such irony!

She grinned smugly as she stepped inside. Warren didn't even notice her entrance and she felt ignored, feeling the need to get even with him. There had been a time when she'd been the most important thing in his life, something she still wanted to be. If she couldn't have Warren, no one else would and certainly not a thieving traitor!

"What do you want, Bets? Still sneaking around?" Warren didn't look at her, his entire attention focused on Remy.

"You certainly lowered your standards, Warren, considering you're fucking a traitor now. Did you conveniently forget that he gathered the Marauders, the people who took your wings?"

Finally, Warren looked her in the eyes and saw the cold. "I can't believe I ever loved you, Bets."

"You loved my body. You loved being seen with me at your arm."

"Maybe you're right about that," Warren admitted with a bitter taste in his mouth. "But I discovered that it's inner beauty that counts and you, Bets, are cold as ice."

She raised an eyebrow. "So you settle for… him?" Loathing filled her tone. "He's a thief, a traitor and you want him?"

Warren laughed at her puzzlement. "I don't expect you to understand, Bets. But remember, you dumped me. Don't pretend you're jealous. I found the love of my life and I suggest you get a life of your own that doesn't involve me. Just leave us alone and don't you dare sneak into his mind!"

"Like I want to be inside a traitor's mind in the first place. You're making a mistake, but it'll be too late once you realize that. Don't think I will take you back then!" Deciding that this wasn't worth her time, she turned to leave the room.

"Just leave us alone, Bets," Warren warned her and sighed as the door closed behind her. As he looked down at Remy, he stared into sparkling eyes. "You're awake? How much did you hear?"

"All of it," Remy confessed. "Cher, je t'aime," he professed passionately. "Will be glad when we can leave dis place."

"Me too," Warren sighed. "I want to get out of here too."

///

Dinner was a pleasant surprise. Rogue, Betsy and Storm had excused themselves so the circle consisted only of friends. Remy smiled contentedly. Bobby and Nicholas made a cute couple and he instinctively liked the young history student. During dinner, he'd suddenly found himself in a discussion with Nicholas and Warren about Monet and Remy had loved every word of it.

From the corner of his eye Remy caught Scott looking at him and Remy cocked his head in reply. Family… this little group felt like family and before he knew it, Remy said, "I want to invite all of you for our commitment ceremony," and he looked pleadingly at his friends. Bobby, Nicholas, Jean, Scott, Hank and the professor.

"I'm honored, Remy," Charles said after a moment's thought. "But I can't leave right now. Not while Rogue is acting like this."

"I understand," Remy acknowledged and looked at the others.

"We'll be there," Bobby promised while holding Nicholas' hand.

"So will we," Scott stated determinedly. "I'm going to be best man! Maybe I should give my baby brother away?" He noticed Remy's shocked grin at the word baby brother.

"I will most certainly attend this beautiful ceremony," Hank reassured them.

"Logan and your dad will also be there," Warren told Remy and noticed the Cajun's surprised glance. "I just received an e-mail from Jean-Luc. They will fly in for the ceremony."

Feeling blessed and happy, Remy claimed Warren's hand, pressed a kiss on the palm and smiled.

///

Venice, Italy

"I'm nervous," Remy muttered weakly.

"I understand, Remy." Scott nodded his head. "I felt like that when I married Jean. You'll be nervous all evening." Smiling contentedly, he studied his brother's appearance. Remy and Warren had insisted on casual clothing, making it a rule that no one was allowed to wear a tuxedo. "Great looks must run in the family, Remy," Scott remarked teasingly.

Remy straightened out his black jacket made of velvet and his hand ran over the black silk shirt he wore underneath it. Black jeans and boots completed the outfit. Nervously, Remy fumbled the ring. "Merci, Scott." Remy grinned, realizing he was getting used to calling him Scott and not Cyke.

"Warren planned quite the honeymoon, huh?" Scott smiled, remembering Warren's enthusiastic tone when he'd told them they were going to travel Italy and Greece.

"Don' tell him, mais I plan on addin' Paris to dat list. Want him to see de Louvre and L'Opera."

"I got this feeling the two of you will be very happy," Scott stated pleased. "And leave Rogue to me. I can deal with her."

"I still feel sorry for her," Remy whispered as he looked over at the door. Only a few more minutes and he'd walk into the small church to exchange vows. "Never t'ought ange would insist on doin' dis."

"No matter what Warren might say, he's kind of old fashioned. He wants to do this right, take the vows and make this official."

"It's a pity no priest wanted to guide us t'rough it and give us his blessin'," Remy whispered. "Guess I'm old fashioned too." It shouldn't matter, knowing he had an angel's blessing, but… it would have been the finishing touch to this ceremony.

"You'll walk out there, exchange vows and then you'll have a great honeymoon," Scott whispered and rested his hand on his brother's shoulder. "You love him and he loves you. Isn't that the only thing that matters, Remy?"

"You're right," Remy gave in. "Scott… have you heard from… from… Corsair?" So far he'd avoided discussing their father.

"No, Remy. I'm sorry. I've got no idea how to contact him, but should I find him… do you want me to tell him that you didn't die?"

"You t'ink he can handle dat?" Remy looked up questioningly.

"Yes," Scott stated firmly. "Come on, Warren's waiting."

Remy took a deep breath and then walked into the ancient church.

///

Warren constantly shuffled his feet. What the hell was taking Remy this long? Again, he checked the time. Five minutes late! The Cajun was five minutes late! Suddenly he felt like a bride stood up at the altar. His wings itched underneath the blue jacket and he hoped he could quickly free them. He wanted to take Remy flying tonight, wanted to show him Venice at night and he planned on keeping his promise to make love to his Cajun lover in the warm night sky.

Jean-Luc gave Warren a glance filled with understanding. Jean-Luc had agreed to be master of ceremonies this evening to make sure nothing went wrong. Logan stood next to Hank and Jean and Jean-Luc smiled at his lover. Maybe a commitment ceremony would work for them too, but at a later time. They weren't ready yet.

"At last!" Warren mumbled relieved. Remy and Scott walked up to him and his lover's smug grin reassured Warren. Remy was comfortable with this.

"Mon fils," Jean-Luc started, looking at the two men in front of him, "you already exchanged rings, now it's time to also speak de words." He stepped back, joining Logan. "I always hoped my son would find a lover who accepts him de way he is… and he found dat love."

Logan nodded his head. "Ya were right back then. They work out." He vividly remembered his doubt when Warren had returned to New Orleans to claim Remy as his lover. "Yer a great dad and now ya got two sons."

Jean-Luc looked down and then smiled. A grey wolf growled chidingly, telling them to be quiet. "Wolvie…" Jean-Luc mumbled and remembered Logan's first reaction to the canine.

Logan shook his head. "They will never get rid of that wolf."

///

"I'll go first?" Warren looked at his lover, seeing a nervous twitch near Remy's left eye. They'd agreed on changing their original vows, turning things slightly around.

"Bien, cher," Remy whispered in a hoarse tone. Merde, he was nervous! Warren claimed Remy's hand and rubbed the Claddagh ring. Remy's fingers met warm flesh in the process. The caress made Remy quaver.

Warren cleared his throat and looked deeply into his lover's golden eyes. "Do you promise to always love me? Do you promise to never leave me, to never turn your back on me? Do you promise to always tell me what bothers you? Will you never hide pain? Will you let me comfort you when you need it? Let me support you when you're ill?"

Remy's eyes watered. "Oui, I promise."

"Do you promise to cuddle after sex?" Warren added teasingly, trying hard to ignore the giggling behind his back. "Do you promise to cook me a Cajun meal at least once a month?"

"Oui," Remy sighed and gently squeezed his lover's hand. "I promise all dat and more. Je t'aime, cher."

Pleased, Warren pressed a kiss on the back of Remy's hand. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Remy. Will you have me?"

"Oui," Remy's voice trembled, touched by the vulnerability and love in Warren's eyes.

"Your turn, love," Warren gently reminded Remy and realized that his own eyes were watering too.

Remy licked his lips. "Do you promise to never leave me? To always love me? Do you promise to let me in when you're in pain? Never hide dat pain from me? Lean on me when you need de support, to let me be your strengt' when you need it?"

"Yes," Warren promised passionately and took a step closer to Remy. "I promise all dat and more. I promise to love you forever, to keep you safe from all harm."

"Cher, I want to spend de rest of my life wid you. Do you want to grow old togeder?" Remy looked up, hearing the sighs coming from the small group of friends. He smiled at the sight of tears in Jean's eyes. Bobby and Nicholas were holding each other and Remy relished seeing the happiness in poppa and Logan's eyes.

"I'll never let you go," Warren vowed and pulls Remy close enough to press a kiss on the tips of Remy's fingers. "You're mine and I'm yours… forever!"

"Oh, this is so…" Jean sighed happily, leaning against Scott. Words failed her, feeling the warmth and love that passed between her two friends.

Warren and Remy looked into each other's eyes. "Guess we're husband and husband," Warren said eventually.

"Yes, you are."

Remy's eyes sparkled hearing that voice and he pulled Warren with him as he turned around. An old priest walked up to them, smiling at them, nodding his approval.

"I'm sorry I'm late, but…"

Warren's eyes grew big. "Père Etienne?"

Bobby sighed, hoping Nicholas and he'd one day be ready to take this step as well. Maybe this old priest would be willing to marry them? He watched contentedly as the priest blessed the couple and then congratulated them.

"I can't stay, Remiel…"

"I understand… Raphael," Remy whispered, touched, and pulled Warren's hand close to his chest. "I told Warren," he informed Raphael.

"I must admit that I didn't really believe it at first…But… I guess this means Remy is an angel?"

"Remiel was an angel and one day, he will be an angel again," Raphael corrected Warren. "Cherish this treasure you've found," he adviced Warren and then scanned the small group of Remy's friends. His work here was almost done. "One of your friends is hiding in the corridor, afraid she isn't welcome. Go to her, Remiel."

Raphael left the church and Remy suddenly felt a terrible loss, but then he remembered Raphael's parting words. "Cher?" he looked questioningly at Warren.

"Let's find out what he was talking about." Warren led Remy to the doorway.

Jean-Luc and Logan, feeling concerned after the unexpected visit from this unknown priest, followed.

"Stormy?" Remy whispered surprised. She was pacing the corridor, wringing her hands.

"Remy, I…" she paused and looked up apologetically. "I thought about your words. You are right. I hurt you by letting this matter. I hurt Bobby as well and I…" Pleadingly, she looked into Remy's eyes. "I want to be part of your life."

"Oh, Stormy!" Remy smiled and hugged her close. "I wanted you to be here today!"

Pleased, Warren watched them. He knew how much Storm's rejection had hurt Remy. Hopefully, she'd done away with her prejudice. "Thanks for joining us here, Storm. Why don't you come inside? Bobby and Nicholas are here too."

"I owe Nicholas an apology," Storm said, composing herself again and even wiping away a lost tear from her face. Staring into Remy's shining eyes she knew she'd made the right decision. "I want to get to know Nicholas…"

"I'm so proud of you, Stormy," Remy mumbled happily.

Teasingly, she slapped his chest. "I forbid you to call me that!"

"True," Remy admitted and took hold of Storm and Warren's hands, pulling them along to join his friends again. "Mais rules are made to be broken!" His laughter echoed through the church and carried to the heavens.

"Live your life, be loved and give love," Raphael whispered, feeling Remy's happiness. "Live your life and be an angel amongst men."

The end