Blood Of Heros

by Morgana

Email: morganalebeau@yahoo.com

Fandom: X-Men

Parings: Remy/Bobby and Logan/Warren

Rating: NC-17 for adult themes and content.

Disclaimer; Gambit and X-Men is (c)copyright of Marvel Comics. No copyright infringement is intended.

Warning; This story indirectly addresses past rape issues, mentions child abuse that one of the characters suffered. Angst!

Status: finished.

Series/Sequel: This story follows the fallen angel.

Summary: This is the sequel to Fallen angel in which Warren (Death) makes his first appearance, almost shattering Remy and Bobby's dreams. After the madness wears off, Warren has to find a way to learn to live with himself and Logan offers a helping hand

Blood Of Heros

by Morgana

Hank truly relished that last sip of black coffee this morning, because in a moment he was going to check on Remy and knowing how irritating the Cajun could be, he wanted to clear his head before getting into an argument. They had stayed rather late at the charity dinner and he wished he’d been able to get a little more sleep.

"Good morning," Jean whispered as she took a seat and deeply inhaled the coffee fragrance.

"And a good morning to you too," Hank replied and smiled, it looked like Jean had missed out on some sleep as well.

"You’re up early." Jean only stared at the food.

"Yes, that’s correct," Hank quipped. "Is something wrong?"

"I don’t know." Jean eventually sipped from the hot liquid and focused her sleepy eyes on Hank. "I’m picking up something, but…" Again, she concentrated on the sensation and slowly a smile formed on her face. "Do you still have to check on Remy?"

"That’s another yes. I planned on doing that after finishing breakfast… which I just did." Hank got to his feet and wondered why Jean had asked him that particular question.

"I’ve got this feeling you might be in for a surprise." Jean smiled brightly. "And no, I’m not going to tell you what to expect." Oh, she wished she could tell Hank and Scott what she was picking up, but she was certain Bobby and Remy would be upset with her.

"I will be on my way then," Hank said puzzled and left the room. While climbing the stairs he tried to figure out Jean’s cryptic remark. A surprise, what could possibly surprise *him*? Politely, he knocked on the door and waited for a response. He expected Remy to be catching up on sleep and the Cajun probably hadn’t heard the knock at all! "Gambit?"

There was still no response and Hank wavered on what to do. Eventually he decided to enter and wake Remy. The young man needed to get breakfast anyway.

Pushing open the door, he realized that the dimmed lights were still on and the curtains closed. Hank started to speak Remy’s name, wanting to tell him to get out of bed, when his jaw practically hit the floor with amazement.

What was Bobby doing in Gambit’s bed and why was he holding Remy in his arms? Why was there a sparkling grin on Bobby’s face? Bobby and Remy? Hank shook his head, maybe he’d had too much of the bubbly yesterday and he was still in bed, dreaming.

No, he hadn’t drunk that much and… Jean did say he was in for a big surprise! Leaning against the doorway he watched them sleep. Bobby was holding Remy in his arms possessively, Gambit’s head resting on Bobby’s chest. Remy’s soft smile formed a deep contrast to Bobby’s smug grin and Hank was determined to find out what had happened here last night. Well, at least they were still clothed so things hadn’t gotten out of hand, he hoped.

Bobby had confided in him that he was attracted to men, but the young man felt incredibly insecure about his sexuality, even though he’d reassured Bobby that there was nothing wrong with being gay. But he had urged Bobby to be careful. Aids was something everyone had to take seriously and Bobby had firmly nodded his head, taking that warning to heart.

Hank honestly didn’t know what to make of this discovery and closed the door behind him as he retreated back into the corridor. //Jean? // he sent, trying to reach the telepath.

//Yes?//

//I just found Remy and Bobby in bed together… well cuddling… and they looked kind of cute, but…// Hank suddenly realized what he had witnessed and couldn’t help a chuckle. //I take it this is the surprise you hinted at?//

//I picked up a deep sense of contentment from both Remy and Bobby… mixed in… with passion,// she cast, carefully picking her words.

//I did not think our Cajun friend was interested in Bobby,// Hank mused, and certainly not after his recent confession in the medlab. It surprised him that Remy would be attracted to men after what he’d gone through in his youth and now that he thought about it, he’d only seen Remy with women. But of course that didn’t say that much. After the hurtful remarks Warren had made Remy would hide his affairs with men. Maybe he should go easy on them and wait for them to wake up, but then again…. it might be more fun to startle them just a little!

//Hank!// Jean sent, but had a hard time sounding angry. //I don’t think Remy instigated this and Bobby would never forgive you if you exposed them like this! You of all people should know how hard it is for him to come out!//

Yes, Jean was right of course. //I will knock harder this time,// Hank sighed and banged on the door. "Remy! Rise and shine, young man!" and wished there was a way to see the expression on their faces at hearing his booming voice! "I want to see you in the medlab in 10 minutes and after I have finished the check up you’re going to have breakfast." Listening carefully, he overheard a muffled yelp and his grin broadened.

Bobby was the first to open his eyes and search his surroundings. What was he doing here and just where was *here* and why was there a warm body pressed in to his? Unexpectedly, Hank’s loud voice echoed through the room and panic set in.

Remy? He was in Remy’s room and the conversation they’d had the night before drifted back into his mind. Looking down at the still sleeping Cajun he smiled. Luckily Hank seemed to retreat and he started his attempt at waking up Remy. It seemed such a sin, to wake up this sleeper and he briefly reconsidered. No, Hank had been right. Remy needed to go to the medlab.

Only now did he realize that he felt comfortable waking up like this. Yes, a little odd perhaps because he’d never held Remy in his sleep before, but his feelings for the man hadn’t changed overnight. //I still love you, so much for your charm power,// he thought amused, remembering the utter disbelief on Remy’s face at hearing his admission.

Remy shifted in his sleep and his right hand slipped down Bobby’s abdomen and… Bobby grunted softly, trust the Cajun to grope for his groin during his sleep. He couldn’t deny his arousal. He'd become almost instantly erect, but he’d never had sex with a man before and he wasn’t going to start this morning. For both their sakes they had to take this slow.

//Am I really considering this? Is the irresponsible clown of the X-Men really thinking about slowly building a relationship with another man? A man who has been hurt in the past.// Bobby didn’t know what he had gotten himself into but he did know he craved Remy close to him.

"Wake up, gorgeous," he murmured. No other word seeming to adequately describe the man in his arms. "Wake up, Remy!" he repeated a little louder when the Cajun didn’t stir.

"Sleep," Remy muttered in return, rolled onto his other side and suddenly they were laid spooned against each other.

//You’re doing this on purpose!// Bobby berated Remy silently as smooth buttocks pressed in to his groin. It was hard to move away from Remy. He’d never felt such an attraction before and this time, he did wonder if it was Remy’s charm power influencing him subconsciously.

"Remy?" he tried one last time before giving into temptation and brushing his lips against Gambit’s neck. "Hank is waiting for you and I’ve got a training session in the danger room in one hour!"

"Lemme sleep," Remy whimpered.

"No way!" Bobby stated in return and got out of bed. Opening the curtains, he peeked outside. The snow hadn’t melted yet and he planned on taking Remy for a walk later that day. He remembered the fear in those red eyes as Remy had stepped into the snow-covered garden yesterday and he wanted to help him overcome that fear.

Bobby opened the window slightly to let some fresh air into the room before returning to the bed to find that Remy had curled himself in to a tight ball. "Wake up, Remy!" He urged, gently pushing the other man on to his back.

This time Remy reacted by opening his eyes. Why wouldn’t they let him sleep? It had been the first time in a very long time that his dreams had been undisturbed by the mistakes he’d made and slowly he focused on the face hovering above his.

//Bobby, what's he doin' in my room?// Remy struggled against the blankets and managed to sit up. "Bobby?"

"Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten about last night!" Bobby said cheerfully, sensing some of the confusion Remy was sending his way subconsciously.

Remy looked down. He was still wearing his clothes, so… what was Bobby talking about? As his memory finally cleared up he recalled the rather emotional night they had shared. "I fell ‘sleep in y’r arms?"

"Yes," Bobby replied. "But now you need to go to the medlab. Hank was pounding on the door and for one brief moment I feared he would actually walk inside!" Bobby smiled weakly as Remy’s eyes sought out his.

"Feared?" Not yet really awake Remy swallowed hard. "Changed y’r mind ‘bout me?"

Bobby shook his head, almost expecting such a remark. Considering the things Remy had told him yesterday it was understandable the Cajun felt insecure about this. "No," he whispered and his stomach made a somersault as he leaned in closer to press a gentle kiss on Remy’s mouth. Releasing those soft lips proved challenging as he found himself wanting more. "I’m the insecure one. I mean…" he started and watched Remy’s baffled eyes. "I doubt anyone besides Hank, and you of course, knows I’m gay." A blush spread over his face and he had to admit that he wasn’t looking forward to telling the team about his newly discovered sexuality.

"Not’in’ wrong wit' dat," Remy replied slowly, his brain struggling to wake up. "I’ve always been attracted to bot', men and women," he explained.

"But I only like *men*," Bobby said thoughtfully.

"Not’in’ wrong wit' dat eider." Remy started to realize how insecure Bobby was about his sexuality. "Y' don’ have to tell dem," he suggested. It would make things a lot easier; especially after Bobby realized he wasn’t interested in a relationship anyway.

"Why did you say that?" Bobby asked, recognizing the doubt on Remy’s face. He thought they’d discussed this yesterday.

"Dey won’ like us bein’ toget’er," Remy supplied eventually. He could already hear Scott’s chiding remarks. He would be the one who had seduced Bobby, but in reality it had been Bobby seducing him!

Bobby sat down on the bed and grasped Remy’s hands in his. Why was Remy looking this depressed all of a sudden? "Talk to me, Remy."

But Remy broke loose and rose from the bed. "I should go down to de medlab," he said softly.

"Hey!" Bobby crossed the distance between them in a second by jumping over the bed. "I don’t like that expression on your face. Tell me if you’ve got doubts about us, now!" Bobby sucked in a deep breath, remembering how surprised Remy had been to learn that he was in love with him.

"Je suis si désolé, cher," Remy whispered.

"Sorry about what?" Bobby had heard that expression enough times to understand its meaning. Remy wasn’t looking at him, so he possessively clasped his left hand instead.

" I don’ know," Remy admitted. His head was swimming and he was too afraid to hope that Bobby really meant all the things he’d said yesterday. No one loved a traitor!

"You can read feelings, right?"

"Oui."

"Then I want you to read mine, I do love you Remy," Bobby said and smiled at the shock on Remy’s face. The Cajun never expected that move. "Do it, you’ve got my permission."

"You can’ be serious!" Remy exclaimed.

"I am." Steadfast, he grasped the Cajun’s other hand as well. "I’ve got nothing to hide, I love you, Remy."

"Are y’ sure?" Remy asked hesitantly. "I’ve never done dis ‘fore, consciously den."

"See for yourself, I love you," Bobby pleaded, wanting this insecurity of Remy’s dealt with once and for all. Remy nodded his head. Still uncertain, he carefully reached out to touch Bobby’s mind. Unexpectedly, fierce emotions of love and the promise of protection enveloped him and Remy fought for breath. "Y’ do love me," he whispered, deeply touched by Bobby’s willingness to let him read his emotions.

"Told you so!" Bobby teased gently and pulled Remy in to a hug. He’d barely felt Remy touching his mind, but seeing the realization on the other man’s face was certainly worth extending the invitation to read his emotions.

Grateful, Remy couldn’t help himself and sent his emotions in return to Bobby, not hiding a thing.

Remy’s guilt and shame crashed in on him, leaving Bobby gasping for breath. He’d never thought that Remy would be this angry with himself! The Cajun was blaming everything on himself, not even considering Sinister and the Marauders being guilty as well.

Then the overwhelming sensations relented a little and next he sensed the hesitant love Remy felt for him. The disbelief that someone really cared about him as a person was tangible. There was so much doubt in Remy’s mind! "I didn’t know," he mumbled apologetically and buried his hands in Remy’s soft hair. "I will try and be there for you whenever you need me," he promised.

Remy was left speechless upon hearing that vow. He knew how serious Bobby was at that moment. "Je vous aime," he whispered.

"And I love you too," Bobby replied softly. "But now you’ve got to clean yourself up and see Hank." At least they weren’t getting into the 'I don’t deserve you’ argument.

"Oui," Remy sighed and disentangled himself from Bobby’s warm body. "Will I see y’ later?" he asked hesitantly.

Bobby nodded his head and checked the time. "I will meet you downstairs in… 2 hours? We’ll go for a walk."

"In de snow?" Remy objected weakly.

"Yes." Bobby saw resignation in Remy’s eyes and quickly brushed his lips one more time. "I’ve got to report in for that danger room session or else Scott will show up looking for me!"

"And we can’t have dem find out ‘bout us…" Remy added sadly.

"I never said that!" Bobby reminded him. "I just need some time to get used to this…"

"I’m not complainin’."

But Bobby heard the self-doubt in those words.

///

"Y' wanted to see me?" Remy entered the medlab reluctantly and walked up to Hank. This place was still one of his least favorite in the world to be but he understood McCoy's need to keep an eye on him. The look Hank gave him was questioning and he barely refrained from peeking at the other man's feelings. "Somet'in' wrong?"

"You tell me," Hank replied and gestured for him to sit down while he checked Remy's pulse, which was a little rapid.

"I feel better." Remy didn't know what to make of Hank's posture and decided to wait for him to speak first. In the back of his mind he was still counting on being judged for his past.

"Good. Is there anything you want to tell me?" Hank sat down, knowing that Remy needed time and rest to recover. He'd told Scott that Gambit wouldn't be participating in any training sessions for at least two weeks.

Feeling distinctly uncomfortable Remy noted the awkward silence that had settled about the room. There was no way was he mentioning Bobby's admission yet, because although Bobby seemed rather determined to make this work, he still had doubts. After he'd sensed Bobby's feelings he knew the young man was sincere, but... the others would probably shut him out because of the lover he'd chosen and Remy didn't want Bobby to become an outcast.

"Remy?" Hank noticed the distant expression and realized that Bobby wasn't the only one having a hard time dealing with this recent development.

"Dere's somet'in' y' can do for me," Remy whispered eventually, uncertain how Hank would react to his request. But he had to know the truth before even considering accepting Bobby as his new lover.

"Yes?"

"I want y' to run a blood test." There he'd said it, now he sat waiting for Hank's judgement.

"To check for what?" Hank queried, making sure no judgement slipped into his tone.

"AIDS and STD's," Remy whispered in a choked voice. He'd always been careful, had always used all necessary precautions, but one never knew. The last thing he wanted was to infect Bobby.

Hank got to his feet and retrieved a syringe. He approved of Remy's cautious manner. Maybe he should ask Bobby to come down as well, but he would have to approach the younger man carefully.

"Roll up your sleeve," he instructed and studied Remy's troubled gaze. There was no sign left of that contented smile that he had seen when he had caught them in bed. "Any special reason why you want me to do this *now*?"

That question caught Remy off guard. "Maybe," he remarked and kept quiet as Hank drew the blood he needed. "When will y' have de results?" An irrational fear had found its way into his mind. What if he'd been infected with...? //Non, can' t'ink dat way now,// he berated himself.

Hank stored the sample away and returned to his friend and patient. "I will have the results by tomorrow afternoon." He hesitated to broach another subject, but in the end decided he had no choice. "Remy, we need to address certain matters."

A sigh escaped Remy’s lips as he rolled down his sleeve. He'd been waiting for this lecture since his arrival. "Oui?" he said fatigued.

"Two things." Hank sat down and stared in to Remy's red eyes. "One, have you talked to Jean about exploring your empathic abilities?"

"Non," Remy admitted immediately. "Didn' have de time yet,"... and he still wasn't sure whether he could confide in her or not.

"If you don't tell her, I will." Hank shook his head. "You need to learn how to control this ability both for your own sake and for the team's!"

"D'accord." Remy gave in, knowing Hank would carry out his threat. But McCoy had mentioned two things he wanted to discuss. Steeling himself, he waited for the accusations.

"When you where in here yesterday you mentioned... things which happened to you during your childhood," Hank started cautiously and immediately picked up on the defensive look Remy shot him. "Did you ever get counselling to work through that?"

"Don' need dat," Remy spat and quickly rose from the chair.

"I'm sorry if I upset you," Hank said honestly, "but pretending it never happened or ignoring it won't make the pain go away." He was playing a dangerous game here. There was a distinct possibility that Remy would shut him out completely. This was something so private, so painful. But he had to try. He owed it to his friend to offer him some help. However, he doubted Remy would accept it.

Remy shook his head. "I don' wanna talk 'bout dis," he said and headed for the exit.

"You know where to find me if you change your mind," Hank offered and wondered if being an empath had made the trauma even more shattering. He suspected that Remy must have felt his abusers' emotions at some point, had he managed to shut them out or not? Those were questions which needed answers and he wasn't certain Remy knew those answers himself.

Remy ignored the offer and marched out of the medlab.

"Don't forget to eat breakfast!" Hank called out after him.

"Merde!" Remy spat and returned to his room. Thinking about food made him feel nauseous and right now he just wanted to be alone to think about his present situation. How the hell had he managed to mess this up? Why had he allowed Bobby to get that close to him?

//Cause I need him,// he silently answered his own question. He needed touch and affection like others craved food. Without them he'd starve and Bobby had offered them to him. He'd been too weak to decline the offer. Sinking down on the bed he clutched his head between his hands.

When Magneto had talked him into returning to the mansion he'd never envisioned that Bobby could fall in love with him, with or without the influence of his charm power. The truth was that he simply didn't deserve another shot at happiness, not after the deaths he'd caused!

A soft knock on the door forced him to stop his endless and futile circle of thought. "Oui?"

"Remy?" Bobby stepped inside and a worried expression slid into his eyes. "I was waiting for you and when you didn't show up..." A moment later he sat down next to Remy and slung an arm around the Cajun's shoulders. "You look upset." The truth was that Hank had sought him out right after the training session had ended and had hesitantly inquired whether he was going to see Remy in the next few hours. Something in McCoy's voice had triggered his protective feelings and he'd immediately hurried to Remy's room.

"I'm fine," Remy whispered and couldn't help leaning in to the embrace, craving the touch, craving the affection that was his food.

"No, you're not." Bobby pulled away to look into Remy's eyes. "Let's go for a walk."

"I don' wanna," Remy said fatigued, thinking of the snow that surrendered the house. It made him feel trapped.

"Have you had breakfast yet?" Bobby asked, noticing that Remy had lost weight.

"Not hungry," Remy remarked and wondered why he was still fighting. Bobby would probably drag him downstairs and supervise his food intake. If he hadn’t been feeling this depressed he would probably have told Bobby to stop babying him. But right now he didn't have the energy to resist.

"Food first!" Bobby decided and hauled Remy to his feet. "You can't hide in here, you know that, don't you?"

Bobby was right of course, but that didn't make things easier. //Please, don' let anyone be dere,// he thought apprehensively. Obediently he followed Bobby downstairs and sighed, relieved at the sight of the empty room.

///

Bobby watched in silence as Remy nibbled at morsels of bread. Frustrated, he wondered what he had to do to draw the Cajun out of this depressed state. It made sense that Remy was feeling down but he hated seeing the hollow expression in those beautiful eyes. "More coffee?" he offered.

"Non," Remy opted for tea instead, not keen on taking in too much caffeine in his present condition. That hot chocolate Bobby had made last night had tasted great though!

Realizing Remy wasn't going to eat any more, Bobby walked into the corridor to get their parkas. "C'mon," Bobby said cheerfully. "Let's see if that snow man is still wearing Scott's visor." Remy didn't react and that troubled Bobby even more. "Remy?"

"Not sure goin' outside is a good t'ing."

"Why?"

"What if... dey're out dere?" Hesitantly, Remy locked eyes with Bobby. "I'm bad company right now."

Bobby swallowed hard, the amount of guilt and shame Remy had shared with him earlier that morning reminded him that he wasn't the only one who felt insecure here. "I'll stay close."

"Y're goin' to make me do dis, anyway," Remy complained but slipped in to the parka.

"If you wanna return to the mansion, tell me," Bobby instructed the Cajun and added a soft, reassuring smile. Walking over to the door he knew that he had to decide whether he was ready or not to show the others how he felt about Remy.

As he opened the door, he caught the shivers coursing through Remy's body at the sight of the snow and ice. Bobby couldn't imagine how this felt to Remy. Snow and ice were his friends and his ability had saved his life many times, but it had almost killed Gambit. "Ready to go?" he asked softly.

"Not sure."

The sigh that left Remy's lips shook with remembered panic and Bobby wanted nothing more than to lessen that ache. After quickly scanning their surroundings he realized they weren't alone. Jubilee and Logan were having a snowball fight.

This was his personal test. Was he ready to reach out to Remy, thus showing how much he cared for another man? //Hell, they're going to find out anyway and Remy needs the reassurance that I truly care for him. I can do this. I' ve got to do this, no matter what they think. It's time to find out if they're real friends or not,// Bobby thought and folded an arm around Remy's waist.

Surprised, Remy stared in to Bobby's eyes. The last thing he'd expected was for Drake to show his affection this openly... at least not this soon! Bobby had to know that the others would never let this go by unnoticed. "Are y' sure 'bout dis, cher?"

"You keep asking me that!" Bobby said nervously, as Logan's eyes registered the whereabouts of his arm. //I'm holding Remy in public! I did it,// he thought a little triumphantly, but at the same time he felt nervous as hell. Then he remembered Remy's question. "Yes, I'm sure about this, Remy."

"Look what the cat dragged in," Logan grunted and shot a look at Jubilee who was staring wide-eyed at Bobby and Remy. Good thing he'd picked up on those scents coming from Gambit's room when he'd come home yesterday, although seeing the two men like this surprised him. But while studying their eyes he picked up on their insecurity. "Never knew ya liked Cajuns, Drake," he muttered beneath his breath and threw a snowball at Jubilee, who had been distracted.

"I'm discovering new things about myself every day," Bobby replied with weakening courage. Jubilee was still staring at him and Remy was starting to pull back. //I never wanted to be the strong one! Why do I have to pull us through this? Remy could handle Logan with one smart ass remark and all I do is stutter like an idiot.// Bobby tightened his grip on Remy. "Stop it! Do you think this is easy on me?"

"I know it ain'," Remy admitted. //Dat's why I can' understand why y're doin' dis!//

"As long as ya keep the noise down at nights, I don't mind the discoveries ya're going to make, Drake!" Logan grinned. Had Gambit shot off his big mouth again, he might have reacted differently. "Live and let live." He snarled as Jubilee returned the favor and delivered one snowball right between his eyes.

"See? That wasn't that bad, was it?" Bobby sighed in an attempt to keep his own courage up. His hand snaked underneath Remy's sweatshirt and softly caressed cold skin. //This feels wrong. Remy shouldn't be this passive, this... uncaring. No, that's the wrong word.// Bobby felt Remy's breathing quicken and concerned he looked up. "What's wrong?" How many times had he asked that during these last 48 hours?

"Y're serious 'bout dis? Us?" he specified at seeing Bobby's expression. Only now was the realization hitting him fully that Bobby was willing to risk his bond with the X-Men to be with him.

Before answering him, Bobby stopped in his tracks and took a deep breath. "Yes, I am," he said, stressing every word. "And I'm going to prove it to you as you keep asking me that question." //Oh my God! Jubilee and Logan can see what I'm doing and it won't take them long to tell the others. But I know I'm doing the right thing. I’ve been hiding in the closet for far too long and Remy... I love him.//

"What are to goin' to do den?" Remy whispered, unable to label the confusing emotions Bobby was radiating. There was nervousness, passion, love and... suddenly Bobby's lips claimed his, tracing the edges of his mouth... a tongue slipped inside and challenged his to a duel. //I can' believe Bobby is doin' dis!//

//I can't believe I'm doing this... and I can't believe how good this feels!// Softly exploring Remy's mouth Bobby sighed, as the Cajun deepened the kiss and caressed his face. Panting slightly, he smiled as Remy ended the passionate encounter. "Satisfied?"

"Oui," Remy said and felt equally breathlessly. "I'll never again ask y' dat question, cher!"

"Good," Bobby breathed and peeked at Logan, who was grinning. Jubilee however was running off to the mansion. "You do realize she'll tell the others?"

"Dat's what y' wanted?" Remy inquired as a tranquil serenity overwhelmed him. He'd accepted the inevitable and would walk this path with Bobby, regardless of the consequences.

"Let's go back," Bobby said with a hint of mischief in his voice.

Remy merely nodded his head and exchanged a glance with Logan. The man had always been hard to read but suddenly he realized he was capable of sensing Logan's emotions. It was almost like his stay in Antarctica -shudder- had strengthened his abilities. "Logan doesn' mind us bein' toget'er like dis," he whispered in to Bobby's ear.

Bobby sped up, pulling Remy along.

"Ya're in an awful hurry to get back to ya room, Drake!" Logan stated as the two men passed him by.

Bobby smiled and looked at Remy. He'd had the greatest idea to brighten Gambit's dark mood. "Ever played Twister?"

///

Remy watched in disbelief as Bobby spread the Twister mat onto the floor. What had he gotten himself in to? "Y’ really wanna do dis?"

"Yeah, although it would be more fun if we’d had some alcohol," Bobby quipped delighted, placing the spinner on the floor. "You can go first."

"I… "Remy shook his head. "Remy LeBeau doesn’ play… Twister!" he stated confused, not expecting such juvenile behaviour from Bobby. But the determination on the other man’s face told him how serious Bobby was.

Bobby moved closer, suspecting that he’d easily wind Remy around his little finger. "Indulge me. It might be worth your while," he hinted and leaned in to press a passionate kiss on Remy’s lips. "And there’s more where that one came from!"

Cursing softly in French Remy stared at the spinner. He’d do anything to please Bobby, even this. "Don’ y’ dare and tell anyone ‘bout dis!" he warned and watched the spinner as Bobby set it in to motion.

"Red!" Bobby whispered. "The first moves are easy!"

Still in denial, Remy placed his foot on a red spot. Remy LeBeau playing Twister! If Jean-Luc ever found out about this, his entire family would learn about it in no time.

Bobby placed his right hand on a blue spot and as the game evolved, Remy started to smile, much to Bobby’s pleasure. The brooding mood that had engulfed the Cajun earlier seemed to have disappeared. //I knew this was a good idea,// he complimented himself and grinned as he manoeuvred his left foot underneath Remy’s body, almost ruining the man’s balance.

"Merde! Look out what y’re doin’!" Remy cursed, in spite of everything getting caught up in the game. He’d been so resolved to hate it and Bobby… Merde! What was that hand doing on his buttocks? "I don’ t’ink y’re playin’ accordin’ to de rules…"

"Rules need to be broken sometimes," Bobby replied and managed to twist his body so he ended up underneath Remy. "Your turn."

"Merde! I can’ reach de spinner!"

"Well, that makes me the winner!" Bobby whispered, pleased to see the shine in Remy’s eyes. "We should play more often! You need practice!" It was amazing how Remy’s expression and mood had changed during these last few minutes and Bobby wanted that change to stay, so he grabbed Remy’s waist and pulled him down onto the mat.

Remy had expected that move and tried to roll onto his back, but Bobby’s hands kept him in place lying sprawled on top. Drinking in that bright smile, Remy rested his forehead on the other man’s brow and listened to Bobby’s heartbeat, which was steady and strong. "Cher?"

"Shhhh," Bobby placed a finger on Remy’s lips. "I just want to hold you."

Feeling uncomfortable, though he couldn’t figure out why, Remy obeyed and returned the gaze. As Bobby’s hands slipped underneath his sweatshirt to stroke his back, he quivered at the touch. There was so much affection and consideration in that single gesture that it touched something deep inside his soul.

Except for Jean-Luc, who had adopted him when others had been intent on taking advantage of a street kid, no one else had ever made him feel this… cherished. Like he was some sort of treasure that had to be guarded carefully and Remy closed his eyes to imprint this moment in his mind.

"I love you," Bobby whispered against Remy’s lips, sensing some of the turmoil the Cajun was in and then pulled Remy’s head down until it rested on his chest. Enveloping his lover in a warm embrace he wished time would stand still and freeze this moment for all eternity.

Speechless, Remy simply absorbed the love Bobby emanated and felt its strength grow. Yes, this was the only food he craved. But he couldn’t lose himself in these emotions, he had to remain sensible and stop this. They had to discuss so many things, but… he couldn’t pull free as Bobby’s lips traveled down his throat. "Bobby?" he breathed.

"Yes, I admit to staging this. You looked so gloomy and brooding that I had to try and…" Bobby paused, seeing the stunned expression in those blazing eyes and knew instinctively that this wasn’t about playing Twister. However, he refused to let go and intensified his grip on Remy by wrapping one arm tightly around the Cajun’s waist. Could things get more intimate than this? No, he wasn’t comparing this to sex, this was much more intense and he wondered if Remy felt the same way. "What do you want to talk about?"

Remy wished Bobby would release him, being this close messed up his senses and he couldn’t concentrate on anything else. "Us," he finally whispered and surrendered himself to the situation. If Bobby wanted to hold him while they were talking, so be it. "I went to see Henri and asked him to run some tests on my blood."

"What kinda tests?" Bobby was trying hard to listen to Remy’s words, but those red eyes were distracting him!

"An Aids test and I asked him to look for STD’s in my blood." Remy held his breath, uncertain how Bobby would react to this admission. "I tried bein’ careful, but…"

Sobering up quickly Bobby loosened his embrace and nodded his head. He should have expected this topic. "Too many people think you only get Aids when you’re gay and that assumption… is stupid."

"I’ll get de results tomorrow. Will y’ come to de medlab wit' me?" Remy asked awkwardly. //Don’ even t’ink ‘bout de results bein’ positive!// But what if they were?

"I’ll ask Hank to test me as well," Bobby whispered and smiled seeing Remy’s questioning look. "What did you think? That I’m a virgin? I just haven’t been with a *man* before!"

 

Remy released the breath he had been holding. Bobby was taking this much better than he’d expected. "I’m not goin’ to ask if y’re sure ‘bout us," he started and looked in to Bobby’s eyes. "Y’ convinced me of dat, but… what do y’ expect from dis relationship?" Talking about things now would prevent misconceptions later, at least he hoped.

"I’m a monogamous kinda guy," Bobby admitted, turning serious and discarding his plans to seduce Remy. "And I want to try and make this work for the long run. Being X-Men we know how… dangerous and short life can be. What about you?" Suddenly his nerves kicked in. What if Remy wasn’t looking for a lasting relationship? //I’m just scared that he’ll find someone else and then dump me… what will happen once Rogue returns? Does he still love her?//

Remy didn’t need to read Bobby’s feelings to identify the thoughts in those blue eyes. A rare smile graced his face as he realized how insecure they both were. Before Antarctica he would never have taken this so seriously… or would he? //What am I lookin’ for? What do I want?//

"Remy?" Bobby disliked seeing the far-away look in Remy’s eyes. Had he said something wrong?

"Just y’ and me den?" Remy whispered at last.

"I’d like that," Bobby admitted shyly.

"D’accord!" Remy sighed relieved. "Den we’re in dis toget’er!" But his relief was short lived. //Why… just why is Bobby lookin’ at me like dat? Makes me nervous!//

"You know," Bobby remarked and shifted underneath Remy in an attempt to get a little more comfortable, "I can see us as an old married couple, me preparing hot chocolate and you…what?" he said, noticing the hurt expression on Remy’s face. "C’mon, we’re already bearing our souls here! I can take one more soul shattering admission."

"I’m married, kinda," Remy admitted and rolled off Bobby’s body to lie next to him. Staring at the ceiling he explained. "Mon père arranged de marriage to settle an… argumen’ between de Thieves an’ Assassins’ Guild. Our marriage… was a disaster. I had tp leave N’Awlins an’…"

"Do you still love her?" //What a great question to ask him, Bobby, you moron!//

"Non, we were never lovers, just friends," Remy whispered. "I only love y’, cher!"

"That’s good enough for me!" Bobby’s voice trembled and he wondered what other secrets Remy was hiding. //I’m bound to find out in time!// "Remy?"

"Oui?" Remy turned onto his left side to look at Bobby and smiled weakly, reassured that the love in those eyes hadn’t diminished after his confession.

"While we’re waiting for those test results," Bobby started in a mock sulking voice, "can we go back to kissing in the meantime?"

"Cher," Remy exclaimed and a suffocating darkness lifted from his soul. It was unbelievable that Bobby still wanted him in spite of all the things he had done. "Oui," he replied and surrendered to his lover’s lips.

///

Looking into the mirror, Remy wasn’t sure if the face staring back at him was his. Those red eyes weren’t that drained any longer and there was even a shadow of a smile on his face. Running his fingers through wet hair he reminded himself to thank Bobby for the suggestion to take a long, hot shower before attending dinner. Dinner, the idea of sitting in a room full of people scared him more than a little and Jean had told him that Storm had returned this afternoon. He knew he would have to face her… and the others as well.

Well, how bad could it get? //Bad,// he realized. First, he’d betrayed their trust and now… they’d call it messing around with Bobby of course, taking advantage of a confused kid. Perhaps it would be better if he stayed in his room instead of going downstairs. He wasn’t hungry… wasn’t even sure whether he could eat, when they were trying to stare him in to submission.

And Bobby… they’d probably warn him that he was heading for trouble; that Bobby should stay away from him. The thought startled him when he realized that he couldn’t imagine living without Bobby… not any more. He’d starve without Bobby’s love.

"Are ya in there, kid?"

Logan? Remy spun around and looked at the door, sensing a steady heartbeat at the other side. //I don’ want to look at his feelings, merde!// Hank was right, he realized. He should ask Jean to help him explore and control this empathic ability. "Oui."

"Good, ‘cause I’m comin' inside. Hope for ya sake ya’re decent!"

Logan was coming inside? Remy shivered momentarily, uncertain why. Where were his one-liners, his quick wit and smart-ass comments? //Maybe I left dem in Antarctica,// he thought wryly. He couldn’t deny that he’d changed since Rogue had left him out there to die.

Logan stepped inside and quickly took in Gambit’s dishevelled appearance. The kid had lost weight, but at least those dreadful black circles under his eyes were fading. Sleeping in Drake’s arms might have helped.

"What do y’ want?" Remy tried hard to shut out the tremors that shook his voice. "If dis is ‘bout Bobby den…"

"Stop looking like I’m gonna bite ya head off!" Logan said irritated. Damn kid should know him better than that! "This isn’t about Bobby. I hope the two of ya will work out, but that’s not why I’m here."

"Why did y’ come here?" Remy asked with trepidation.

"After ya got back from the ice… I picked up a scent on ya." Logan paused, giving the kid a chance to explain things. But Remy retreated to the window, more withdrawn than he’d ever seen the Cajun before. But then again, this was a different man. Logan knew what facing death could do to someone and stepped closer trying to find a weakness in the man’s defences. "It was Magneto’s scent."

"I can’ tell y’ what y’ want know," Remy replied in a nervous tone. He’d given Magneto his word to keep silent. The man had saved his life and he wouldn’t make the same mistake twice! He wasn’t going to tell on Magneto.

Logan noticed how jumpy the kid had suddenly become and knew he had to back away from this topic… just a little though. "Must have been cold."

"Oui, it was," Remy whispered. The memory of his body's surrender made him shiver. As he stared out of the window at the snow he thought he’d go mad. "It’s still cold."

"’cept for when Drake is near?" Logan ventured.

"Oui." Remy sighed deeply.

"Why did ya have Magneto’s scent all over ya? Did he help ya?" Logan asked, returning to their former topic. As Gambit’s eyes closed he knew he’d hit a bull’s eye. "Got a base in Antarctica? Ya got lucky then!"

"Lucky?" Remy repeated in disbelief. "Lucky! Y’ don’ know what y’re talkin’ ‘bout! I should have died dere!"

"Why?" Logan asked genuinely concerned. "Because ya fell for Sinister’s tricks? We’ve all been there, done that. Ya know, Cajun, that’s why there are second chances!"

"But people died ‘cause of my mistakes," Remy objected. "De Morlocks…"

"Remy," Logan started, using the name on purpose, "Jean turned in to the Dark Phoenix at one time and ya don’t think anyone got hurt in the process? And that’s just one example!"

"But… dat’s different, she…"

"I had enough of this crap. Dinner is ready." Logan shook his head and walked back into the corridor. "Are ya coming, Cajun? Drake will drag ya down if ya refuse, or else I will," he added after a moment’s thought.

Remy knew better than to fight an already lost battle and quickly slipped into a heavy woollen sweater. "I’m comin’."

Logan grunted softly, satisfied for now.

///

Bobby was feeling nervous and wondered if Remy was having the same problem. Jean was giving him winks and bright smiles, while Scott looked grumpy and a little upset. Hank was doing a great job inspecting his utensils and Jubilee had asked Storm to help her carry the dishes from the kitchen to the dinning room. All were accounted for except Logan and Remy and that little fact worried him more than a little.

Suddenly someone bumped their right foot against his leg underneath the table. Looking up, he caught Jean’s grin. Why was she looking at him like that?

"I’m about to explode!" Jean suddenly exclaimed, "I’m soooo happy for the two of you!"

Storm overheard the remark, but had no idea what Jean was referring to. She had noticed the tension in the mansion, but had attributed it to Remy’s unexpected return.

"Jean, please darling," Scott muttered and squeezed her hand. Although he adored her, he couldn’t understand her excitement. She’d been almost ecstatic when Jubilee had told them that she’d witnessed Bobby kissing Remy. He’d been surprised as hell to find out about Bobby’s interest in the Cajun and didn’t really have any problems with it, as long as it didn’t influence their team performance.

"Come on! It’s sweet!" Jean teased, looking to Hank for support, but McCoy was still busy inspecting his fork.

"I think it’s sweet!!" Jubilee whispered as she placed the food on the table. Sitting down she rested her chin on her hands and dreamy eyed, gazed at the wall. "I wish someone would fall in love with me!"

"Jubilation!" Hank exclaimed. "You are too young for… that!"

"Wake up, Hank! I’m old enough to date," she protested.

Bobby thanked whatever god was listening that Remy and he were no longer the focus of this conversation. Oh boy, was he wrong! Storm chose the seat to his right and whispered, "Are they telling the truth about you and… Remy?"

"Yes," he stated and told himself to feel proud because he wasn’t hiding any longer. "I love him." //Did I really say that? Admitting to loving Remy in public? Will Remy do the same, or...?//

The subject of his thoughts suddenly walked in to the room and a wave of nervousness washed through him. Quickly he glanced at Jean, but she was still grinning and didn’t seem to feel the things he was receiving.

The seat to Bobby’s left was still vacant and Remy beat Logan to it, quickly sitting down while carefully avoiding their eyes. Storm’s presence was unsettling, as he knew that she couldn’t forgive him, but Bobby’s presence reassured him somewhat.

"It *is* cute!" Jean stated loudly, her voice shattering the awkward silence.

Bobby took a deep breath and placed his hand on Remy’s, showing the others they were an item as far as he was concerned and challenging them to make any condescending remarks. He’d defend Remy with his last breath. It turned out that it wasn’t necessary and he relished the fact that his lover gently squeezed his hand.

Remy felt like something bad was going to happen any moment now. His luck couldn’t last, it never had and from the way Storm was looking at him… he shivered.

But the dinner conversation was polite and their small talk idle. No one voiced any disapproval of their relationship and Remy finally allowed himself to relax a little.

When dinner was over Remy got up and excused himself. He needed some time alone… well, he wouldn’t mind Bobby’s company, but he had a lot of thinking to do. As he walked out into the corridor, his senses told him someone was following him and turning around, he found himself facing Storm.

///

A trial.

Remy felt like he was being judged without having had a fair trial, but then again, how could it ever be fair? Maybe... Looking into Storm's eyes he made a decision. "Even a murderer gets a trial," he whispered fatigued. He just wanted it over with.

Storm gasped hearing that remark. She hadn't even said a single word, yet and Remy had somehow reached the conclusion that she was going to sentence him? Studying his expression she realized how haggard and worn he looked. That spark of life she had witnessed during dinner when Bobby had been at his side had vanished. For a moment she even feared for his sanity... his will to live. Storm inhaled deeply and was about to reply when another voice cut roughly through the corridor.

"Over my dead body."

Remy trembled, hearing that vow and shook his head, seeing Bobby's determined blue eyes. "Cher, dis has to be done."

"C'mon!" Bobby exclaimed angrily as he approached the Cajun.

Storm couldn't take her eyes off the two men. Was this really the Bobby she'd always known? The insecure youngster who used pranks and jokes to fit in? Shivering, she noticed that his eyes were turning to ice. "Bobby," she started, but the young man didn't even acknowledge her, so intent was he on Gambit.

"Yeah, right, we're back to that discussion," Bobby stated in an angry tone. In the depths of his heart he was convinced some evil spirit had taken possession of him. Where else would he get the audacity from to challenge Remy and Storm on top of that? "You're the only person alive who ever makes mistakes!" Bobby paused, uncertain how those words had found their way past his lips, but enough was enough. "I love you, damnit, can't you see that? Can't you see we all make mistakes!"

Storm smiled weakly. A youngster had reminded her that they weren't supposed to pass judgement. Bobby was right. It was the easy way out to blame everything on Remy and her friend was more than willing to accept sole responsibility for the massacre. Bobby now stood in front of her and she watched his back, noticing the tense shoulders and knew he was close to completely icing up. "Bobby?" she tried again and placed a hand on his right shoulder. "You are right."

Speechless, Remy stared at the ice in Bobby's eyes. Shivers ran down his spine as he remembered the blue eyes that had looked at him with so much affection and love in them. He released his breath and simply waited for what was to come. All strength had been sapped out of him.

"Bobby is right," Storm repeated and took a step forward so she stood next to Bobby. "The Goddess knows we all make mistakes," she whispered and remembered her own dark moments. "There will be no trial, my dear friend." She smiled warmly; thankful to Bobby for reminding her of her own imperfection.

"There!" Bobby stated triumphantly, the ice disappearing from his eyes. "You are *not* a murderer, Remy. You made a mistake and I suspect it won't be the last one an X-Man ever made."

Too emotional to hide his amazement Remy lowered his eyes and stared at the floor. He'd never thought that Bobby would step in to defend him and Stormy... "Where does dis leave us?" he asked apprehensively.

"At a new beginning," Storm replied, resting her other hand on Remy's shoulder. "You saved my life once, thief."

Remy wondered why she'd suddenly stopped talking. It felt like she'd wanted to add something, but Storm grew silent. She'd had given him a gift though. She had given him hope that she would forgive him and he had to offer her something in return. Utterly focused on Storm, he hesitantly reached out with his empathic powers and offered her a silent apology, extending his feelings of guilt and shame as a peace offering.

Storm fought for breath as Remy's feelings flowed through her without warning. "In the name of the Goddess, what are you doing?"

Remy looked at Bobby instead. "Guess I've been hidin' in de closet for too long."

Bobby knew what he was trying to say. "Tell her." This had to be hard for Remy and he concentrated on sending him all the love and confidence he could muster.

Remy picked up on those feelings and sighed briefly, grateful for Bobby's support. "Stormy," he whispered in a shaky tone. "I'm some sort of empat'. Henri hasn' figured it out yet, but... I can sense y'r feelings and show y'r mine." There, he had said it.

Storm's eyes widened at that admission. She'd always suspected her friend was hiding something, but never this! An empath? //And he never told us? Oh, Goddess, if he can truly feel someone else's emotions then...//

Remy terminated the connection which had formed between them, but kept the one which linked him to Bobby open, sending him his gratitude for being there for him.

"You're welcome." Bobby whispered relieved, trembling as he realized he'd shaken off his insecurity to back up the man he loved. //Maybe I'm taking responsibility for my life at last.//

What would Hank say? During these last few days he'd discovered a side to his personality he'd never known existed. Some part of him was determined to be the strong one for Remy and to keep him safe from further harm. He had been hurt too many times already.

"But then..." Storm was struggling to find the right words as she reached a terrible conclusion. "You must have sensed their pain in the tunnels..."

This got Bobby's attention as well and he focused on Remy's eyes, which told him the truth.

"Oui," he said offering no other explanation.

"And when Warren lost his wings?" Bobby ventured at last, wrapping his warm fingers around Remy's cold ones, finding it curious that whenever they touched, the Cajun felt cold. Concerned, he rubbed Remy’s cold hand. It had been that concern which had urged him to comfort Remy in the first place, to take that step and be there for him. It had pushed his insecurity in to the background.

"I..." Remy hesitated. "I felt dat too, but couldn' help him. I wish I could have," he whispered full of remorse.

After composing herself Storm caught Remy's still evasive eyes and asked, "Do the others know?"

"Know what?" Remy asked confused.

"That you possess these empathic powers."

"Only Henri and... Bobby of course... and now y'," Remy replied softly.

"You should tell Jean. Do you know how much she cares for you?" Storm asked and then also looked at Bobby, "And you, the both of you!"

//No one 'cept for Bobby cares 'bout me,// Remy thought miserably. His entire life he'd fought for acceptance, but so far he'd only experienced that trust with Jean-Luc and now Bobby.

"I'll leave the two of you alone now," Storm said with a warm smile. "Remy?" She addressed him and the look he gave her made her heart grow heavy.

"Oui?"

"I promise by the Goddess to work on that forgiveness. Do not lose faith," Storm offered before returning to the dining room.

"Merci," Remy whispered and closed his eyes, listening to her retreating footsteps. When he was certain she was no longer able to hear him he whispered, "I don' wanna be alone." Remy glanced into Bobby's blue eyes and hoped he'd stay with him.

Bobby nodded his head. Remy's face didn't hide a thing. "Your room or mine?" //Geez, that sounds like I'm trying to talk him in to bed!//

Remy stood undecided and shrugged his shoulders. "I don' care," he admitted frankly. All he wanted was to be alone with Bobby and curl up in his arms. It frightened him a little when he realized that Bobby had become his lifeline.

"C'mon," Bobby said eventually and pulled Remy along as they headed for his room. He had to find a way to stop Remy from brooding. //If only I could convince him that we do care!// But it felt like banging his head into a brick wall and his head was starting to hurt from all his attempts to try getting through to the Cajun. "I'm going to make hot chocolate first," he told Remy, remembering how much Gambit had liked it. "The door to my room isn't locked. I'll join you in a moment, awright?"

Remy hardly reacted and slowly climbed the stairs. When he’d reached Bobby's room he hesitantly stepped inside, feeling like an intruder. A smile crept over his face on seeing the Twister mat. Bobby had completely surprised him when he’d taken him down during the game. During those carefree moments he'd felt like the man he used to be before he'd lost a part of his soul in Antarctica.

Rolling onto the bed he stared at the ceiling, but something in the bed was pushing against his shoulder blades and when he pulled away the sheet he discovered a plastic Spiderman toy. "Bobby," he chuckled quietly. Even when absent Bobby could make him laugh.

"Hey, give me a hand here!" Bobby exclaimed and kicked the door.

Remy was with him in a heartbeat and gladly accepted one of the hot mugs. Warming his hands by pressing them against the mug he followed Bobby to the bed.

Bobby sat down and rested his back against the headboard. His eyes never left Remy's face, searching for that hint of depression he knew was lurking underneath the surface. //Am I strong enough to deal with Remy's fears? I can hardly believe this is actually happening. Our roles are reversed and I've never been in this position before! No one ever depended on me!// As Remy crawled closer to snuggle up to him, he raised an arm and pulled him in to an embrace. "Feeling better?"

"Not sure 'bout dat," Remy admitted and rested his head on Bobby's shoulder. For so long he'd kept it all inside and he couldn't burden Bobby with his problems. That didn't seem right after everything Bobby had done for him!

"You can talk to me, Remy." Bobby waited patiently, enjoying the hot chocolate. Remy emptied his mug with greater speed. //Have to remember to make hot chocolate before going to sleep.// "There's no need to shut me out."

"Perhaps not..." Remy sighed and placed the empty mug on the floor. Folding his arms around Bobby's waist, he inhaled his lover's scent. //I'm safe, no longer in Antarctica. Rogue ain' here and Bobby loves me.//

Bobby decided not to push him. Remy would open up when he was ready to talk about the things that haunted him. "Wanna get some sleep?"

"Can' sleep," Remy whispered and his fingers played with a strand of Bobby's soft hair. "Dis is such a mess."

Bobby smiled. "Why?"

Remy didn't know the answer to that question. Everything seemed to be working out just fine. They had allowed him back in, Storm had even accepted his peace offering and he was lying in Bobby’s arms, the man who loved him. So what was wrong then?

"It's in my head," he said eventually. "I know... feel dat you and de ot'ers accept my presence... somet'in' else is messin' wit' my mind." //Did I really say dat?//

"Thanks for being honest," Bobby murmured. His hands tangled in Remy 's hair, softly massaging his scalp. "And I've got to agree with you," he said after taking a deep breath. "Maybe you should talk to Hank? After all he is a doctor."

"Henri wants to drag up my entire past, Bobby... and I don' want to go dere." Remy shuddered. "Past can' be changed, cher."

"But talking about it might help," Bobby suggested and shivered himself, as he remembered Remy's admission in the medlab. "Do you still have nightmares about... living on the streets?" Part of him couldn't believe he was asking Remy such personal questions, but the fact that he was the only one Remy trusted left him no choice. Being in love had changed him as well.

Swallowing hard Remy realized he had manoeuvred himself into a corner. "Had dem for a long time, but lately I've been dreamin' 'bout the ice."

"I know," Bobby mumbled. "But at least at night I can hold you."

Remy tried hard not to show his relief. "Want me to stay overnight?"

"You don't think I'm letting you go again, do you?" Bobby asked in a semi-upset tone. "We could turn in early for a change," he remarked, remembering Remy would get his test results tomorrow. How would Hank react to his request to test him as well? //Probably thinks I'm doing the right thing for a change!//

"Just needed to hear dat," Remy whispered, drifting in to sleep.

Bobby shook his head, seeing red eyes close and Remy's body relaxed against his. Softly stroking Remy's hair he studied the man -the man!- in his arms. "I'll never let you down," he promised in an emotional moment. "Never!"

///

The next morning Bobby slipped quietly out of bed, leaving Remy still soundly asleep. Bobby sighed relieved, nightmares had disturbed the Cajun' s sleep far too often and although he gathered that some of them featured Antarctica, he knew there had been others as well.

It had been a tiring night and he wasn't looking forward to this morning's danger room training session. He could use more sleep as well, but it had made him feel good to be the one to sooth Remy and to lure him back in to sleep.

As he walked into the bathroom he considered calling Scott and asking if it were all right if he skipped this morning's session, but he already knew the answer, no.

After dressing he returned to the bed and smiled at the sight of Remy curled up in his bed, hugging a pillow. He pulled the blankets over the silent form, making sure Remy was warm and then snuck out of his room.

///

Luckily, Scott quickly called it a day and Bobby was almost out of the room when Jean placed her hand on his arm. He halted at the touch, almost afraid to think why she had stopped him.

"Bobby?"

"Yes, Jean?" He really, really liked her, but at the moment she was keeping him from returning to Remy and impatiently he waited for her to continue.

"Hank told me about Remy's empathic gifts."

"Well, that was to be expected," Bobby said ill at ease. Why was she talking to him and not to Remy? Shuffling his feet, his old insecurity and nervousness began to sneak up on him and he couldn't look her in the eyes. It felt wrong to discuss something this painful for Remy with her.

"Do you think he'll want to talk to me tonight? Hank is right you know, Remy needs someone to help him deal with this ability." Jean sensed his confusion and hid her grin to the best of her abilities. She'd never seen Bobby this... full of life before. He was happy, she realized, now that he'd stopped hiding his true nature from himself.

Jean's warm voice made him smile. "I'll talk to him," he promised, still hesitant to say more about this matter, but in the end he couldn't stop himself. The truth was that Remy's nightmares had scared him. They had been so... crushing. Remy had shivered in his arms and at one time tears had crept down his cheeks. "He knows he needs help," he admitted gingerly.

Jean cocked her head hearing that admission. "Is it already causing him problems?"

"I don't know if it's his empathy that’s causing it," Bobby sighed, still wondering if he should be telling her this, but... "Last night was terrible. He had nightmares all night long!" Although he felt like he was betraying Remy, he had to talk to someone and Hank, although his best friend, was no telepath. Jean however was and he believed she could help Remy, if only the stubborn Cajun would let her in!

"What about?" Jean's eyes searched the danger room to see if anyone else had stayed behind. No, they were alone. Assured there weren't any eavesdroppers she added, "You can trust me, Bobby."

"I know," Bobby admitted. Jean had accepted him just the way he was and that meant a lot to him. "Remy mumbled something about ice, Rogue and being alone. Then... I don't know what the other dreams were about, but he kept repeating how alone and abandoned he felt." Bobby's tired eyes finally sought out Jean's. "And then he called out for someone called Jean-Luc."

Jean evaluated everything she'd heard and found her suspicions grounded. There was more to this than the massacre and Antarctica. Seeing Bobby's troubled gaze, she smiled reassuringly. "You're doing the best you can and I think Remy knows that."

"Which reminds me... I need to get back! When I left he was still asleep." Bobby smiled at Jean and then remembered to say, "The nightmares stopped at dawn."

Jean nodded her head. "Go on, don't keep him waiting."

Bobby dashed out of the danger room and into the kitchen. He might as well take some sandwiches with him. Remy would probably be hungry after missing breakfast. Grinning from ear to ear Bobby wondered if Remy would allow him to feed those delicious strawberries to him!

///

Slowly opening his eyes Remy wondered where he was. This certainly wasn't his room and then he remembered that he'd spent the night with Bobby. He smiled, recalling the way Bobby had held him at night when the nightmares... //Non, don' wanna t'ink about dem!//

But he didn't really have a choice. Bobby now knew about the nightmares that haunted him at night and would probably make him face whatever was causing them. //I know what's causin' dem, but no one else needs t' know,// he thought resolved. He wasn't going to burden anyone with his past.

Stretching his body he found that he still felt tired and drained. If only he could get a good night's sleep. He refused to think about how bad the nightmares would have been without Bobby there to comfort him!

Noise coming from the corridor caught his attention and he shifted in the bed until he sat upright. Quickly, he glanced at the clock, noting with a start that it was almost noon. Why had Bobby let him sleep that late?

The door swung open and Bobby entered, a warm smile illuminating his face. He was not so elegantly balancing a tray with one hand while using the other to close the door. Just seeing those sparkling eyes reassured Remy that everything was all right and he relaxed, pushing his back into the comfort of the pillow.

Bobby's eyes lit up, seeing Remy lying comfortably in his bed. //In my bed! He 's in my bed,// he repeated in disbelief and sat down. "I thought you'd be hungry," he explained, a sudden shyness overcoming him.

"Merci," Remy said thoughtfully and stared right in to Bobby's eyes until the other man averted his gaze.

"I had to attend training, but I'm yours for the rest of the day, if you want me," Bobby informed him, feeling slightly guilty for having left so early. He wished he had been there when Remy had opened his eyes. "Hank expects us in an hour," he added and watched Remy slowly devour one of the sandwiches.

Remy's appetite seemed to be improving, Bobby noticed relieved. "Even brought you these," he pointed out the strawberries next to the coffee.

Remy rested his head back against the pillows and licked his lips.

Bobby's nervousness had returned now that there weren't any monsters to drive away. Gingerly, he selected a strawberry. //I can't believe that I'm doing this!// But slowly, he raised his hand and watched in fascination as Remy opened his mouth and offered him the tip of his tongue.

As he placed the strawberry on Remy's tongue, he noticed a hand sneaking up his chest, pulling him closer. "We've only got one hour," he whispered for no apparent reason and swallowed hard. //Are my thoughts, no feelings, that obvious? All I want is to kiss those lips and taste his mouth and... I don't even feel guilty for wanting it!//

Remy brushed Bobby's lips in a teasing motion, slow and lazily. Amused, he noticed Bobby's passionate reaction to that simple gesture. "Y' feel starved, cher," he whispered thoughtfully. For how long had Bobby been repressing this side of his personality?

Deepening the kiss, Remy coaxed Bobby into sliding closer against him. Both men craved the touch, the physical contact, but there was one thing Remy hadn't taken into consideration. The physical contact made him lower his shields and Bobby was now receiving most of his feelings. //Mebbe I'm even sendin' dem subconsciously...//

Bobby gasped, feeling Remy's love, passion and gratitude melt into one. "I love you." He couldn't help whispering that admission and his fingertips trailed up Remy's soft neck until they finally tangled in silken hair.

Remy wanted to answer, wanted to confirm his love for Bobby, but his lips were otherwise engaged. Heat was building in their minds and Remy knew he had to stop this before they did something they might regret later. After all, he was still waiting for those test results. "Cher, I need to get dressed," he mumbled reluctantly, wishing they could cuddle up beneath the blankets and do a lot more than kissing!

"Yeah, I know," Bobby murmured, incapable of letting go of that gaze. Never before had he felt this connected to anyone. //Duh! Remy is an empath! What do you expect?// Bobby chided himself softly and wondered in which other ways Remy's abilities might manifest. //What about when we... get together for the first time? What about when we have sex? No, I don't like that word, what about when we make love for that first time?// Feeling a little woozy at those thoughts, Bobby crawled off the bed and got to his feet.

Remy sighed at the loss of warmth, loss of closeness, but composed himself. First, he had to know whether Hank had found something in his blood.// Mon Dieu, I don’ wanna lose Bobby!// Remy prayed fervently.

After pushing away the blankets, Remy rose from the bed and walked over to the door. He hated leaving Bobby behind, but his clothes needed changing. "Will be back in a sec," he murmured and softly touched Bobby's bruised lips with his fingertips. Abruptly, he turned around and rushed out of the room.

Amused, Bobby watched Remy flee back to his room. It if hadn't been for this link, which seemed to form whenever they were touching, he'd feel a lot more insecure. But knowing how much Remy loved him had an amazing effect on him!

Humming softly he slid back onto the bed, grabbed a strawberry and switched on the TV with the remote. "Great! Spiderman and the Fantastic Four are on! I almost missed them!" Making himself comfortable, he realized that Remy's scent still lingered in his bed, //-my bed-// and inhaling deeply, he hoped Remy would spend a lot more nights in his bed!

///

Hank gestured them to sit down, oddly pleased to see Bobby accompanying Remy. That might indicate his friend had already decided to play it safe and request a blood test himself. It would make things so much easier, Hank mused. He smiled as Remy hesitantly reached for Bobby's hand. That simple gesture said much more than words ever could.

At first he'd had a hard time believing Gambit really loved Bobby. His doubt might have something to do with the fact that he felt so protective of his friend. He'd witnessed Bobby angst over his sexual preference, hiding it, afraid that someone might find out the truth about him.

And then Remy had returned from Antarctica and Bobby had seemingly forgotten about his insecurity and nervousness. Why? Because someone had needed him to be the strong one and Bobby had risen admirably to the challenge.

"Hank?" Bobby looked up and cocked his head. It wasn't like the Beast to be lost in thought. Remy tensed up and Bobby reassuringly squeezed his hand. //Everything will be fine!//

"I take it you are here to find out about the test results?" Hank took a seat opposite them. He had to admit that Jean had been right yesterday. This was kinda sweet and they might even work out. Taking care of Remy was doing wonders for Bobby's self esteem!

"Oui," Remy mumbled softly, not liking the time it was taking for Hank to inform him of the results. Maybe something was wrong and... He was afraid to end that thought. It probably meant losing Bobby as well.

"All tests came back negative," Hank said pleased.

"And dat's good?" Remy wondered, slightly afraid to believe his fortune.

"Yes, you're as clean as a whistle!" Hank grinned and then addressed Bobby. "Do you want me to check on you too?"

"Yes," Bobby said resolved. In his heart he'd never doubted that Remy was healthy, but hearing Hank confirm it, did ease his mind. As he rolled up his sleeve, he smiled at Remy, who was obviously very relieved.

//Merci, mon Dieu, I'll try and do t'ings right wit' Bobby,// he promised, grateful for this second chance.

///

Bobby grew uncharacteristically quiet after their visit to the medlab. Until now he hadn't realized how serious Remy had taken that blood test. After hearing everything was fine Remy had started to smile and hadn't stopped yet. So he simply enjoyed that smile, realizing how little he'd seen it since Remy's return from Antarctica. "Remy?" he started softly. This time it hadn't taken much to convince Remy that it was safe to go for a walk, in spite of the snow.

"Oui," Remy replied with a broad grin on his face. As long as he didn't think about the nightmares, he could pretend life was great. Even the snow didn't seem that cold and hostile when Bobby was near. He slung an arm around Bobby's waist and rested his head on his lover's shoulder. "What do y' want to know?"

"I hope you don't think I'm trying to..." Bobby started, uncertain how to bring up Jean's request.

"Just ask me," Remy replied, receiving confused feelings; Bobby was worried about something.

Bobby didn't know whether to mention the nightmares as a reason to accept Jean's offer and in the end he decided against it. Remy might feel embarrassed and the discomfort might drive him away. "Jean knows about your empathic powers," he said instead and watched Remy's face carefully. For once it revealed absolutely no emotion, so he had to guess to how Remy was taking this. "She wants to talk to you after dinner." Well, at least Remy hadn't pulled his arm back so Bobby ventured a glance at those alien eyes. "She only wants to help," he added, hoping Remy realized that truth as well.

Remy thought it over; this didn't come as a big surprise. Hank had already told him that he would inform Jean if he didn't. "D'accord," Remy whispered, "I'll talk to her."

Relieved, Bobby drew in a deep breath, but there was another matter he wanted to discuss. But how did he ask Remy about Jean-Luc without addressing the nightmares?

Remy realized that there was more when Bobby continued to radiate confusion. "Just ask me, cher," he repeated and wondered why Bobby was acting this shy all of a sudden while he'd contradicted Storm without hesitation.

"Who's Jean-Luc?" he asked softly, terribly afraid he was over stepping some boundary.

"Dat's it?" Remy smiled relieved. He didn't know what he'd expected Bobby's question to be, but... "Jean-Luc LeBeau, mon père." Seeing Bobby's expression he realized he needed to translate it in to English. "My fat'er,"

"Your father?" Bobby echoed. //Yeah, who did you think it was, his secret lover? A man Remy is attracted to? He hasn't been off the premises since his return and there haven't been any calls...//

"Why are y' askin'?" Remy studied Bobby and didn't know what to make of his expression, and Bobby's confused feelings weren't helping either.

"You mentioned him last night," Bobby said. He didn't want to bring up last night and certainly not the nightmares. "What about your mother?" he asked, trying to distract Remy.

A sad expression flashed across Remy's face. Why did Bobby have to bring this up now? But he couldn't hide the truth either. He just didn't want to go through the pain of admitting everything again. But Bobby had a right to know. "Jean-Luc adopted me," he admitted at last, noticing the perplexed look on Bobby's face.

"Adopted you?" Bobby halted and sought out Remy's eyes. "I didn't know that."

"It ain' a pretty story," Remy whispered and suddenly noticed how far away they had walked from the house and all around him was only snow... even with Bobby standing next to him, he felt alone... He always felt lonely.

"I'm not trying to pry, but..." Bobby had never expected such a revelation and realized how little he knew about the Cajun.

"My 'real' parents didn' want me," Remy said, shrugging his shoulders, trying hard to act callous. "Dey left me and I had to learn how to survive on de streets. I was... 12 when Jean-Luc caught me trying to pick his pockets." //Yeah, dat sounded awright, not a single word 'bout m' livin' on de streets!// Remy complimented himself. //And I ain' tellin' Bobby a t'ing 'bout livin' on de streets. It's bad enough dat he knows why I hate de medlab.//

"And he adopted you?" Bobby's mixed feelings urged him to wrap his other arm around Remy's frame as well. The professor had never mentioned any of this to them, probably not wanting to breach Gambit's privacy, but... //Hell, it explains everything! Remy's fear of being alone, feeling abandoned and then, oh God, if Rogue really left him there to die... // Too scared to finish that thought, he looked into Remy's eyes instead. "Were you born with those eyes?" he suddenly wanted to know.

"Oui, de ot'er kids didn' want anyt'in' to do wit' me 'cause of dese eyes, but Jean-Luc didn' mind. He was de only person who ever accepted me just de way I am..." Remy noticed the uncertain expression on Bobby's face and added, "'Cept for y', of course."

"Must have been hard on you, with those eyes and everything," Bobby murmured upset. "Lemme get this right, you spent the first 12 years of your life on the streets?" Shivers ran down his spine, wondering how Remy had survived that long and then remembered the stuttered admission in the medlab. //That's how he survived, you moron! He told you he did anything for food!//

Remy read the realization on Bobby's face and discouraged, he turned away. That was why he didn't tell people about his youth. He hated seeing the loathing on their faces and now Bobby would look at him differently too.

"Remy," Bobby sighed and went to stand in front of him. "Whatever you did was in order to stay alive. I don't love you any less because of that." //Wow,// he complimented himself, //that sounded like I meant it and I did.// "Hey, I understand you still have nightmares about it," he whispered, deathly afraid he'd offended Remy, but he wasn't going to pretend last night had been peaceful and undisturbed.

Remy didn't react, simply stared into the snow at his feet. //Mebbe I can deal wit' Bobby knowin' de trut', as long as no one else finds out.// He was surprised when he was pulled into a warm hug and allowed Bobby to caress his face. Part of him had never expected that Bobby could deal with this. Let's face it; he wasn't an easy person to be around, but Bobby...

"Wanna go back to the house?" Bobby 's stomach started to growl.

"Oui, cher," Remy replied and after inhaling the cold air deeply he composed himself. Against all odds, Bobby was still at his side and Remy loved him even more for it. The insecure Iceman, the prankster..."Y've changed too," he remarked thoughtfully. Bobby had matured a lot these last few days.

"Tell me about it!" Bobby exclaimed. "I even challenged Storm openly. It's like something snaps inside of me when you're in trouble." Bobby smiled warmly. "I guess I'm awfully protective of you!"

"I don' mind dat," Remy admitted honestly. Only a few people had ever fussed over him and he drank in the attention and love Bobby radiated.

"By the way, did I already mention that I've got another version of Twister in mind for us tonight?" Bobby asked mischievously.

Remy shook his head in mock disbelief. "What do y' have in mind?"

"It's a more daring version called Touch and Feel. Do you think you can handle that one?" Bobby loved seeing that smile on Remy's face. //God, I'll do anything to make him happy.//

"Touch and feel?" Remy pondered that title briefly and decided it was payback time. "Sure, I'm up for it, are y'?"

///

"Touch an’ Feel?" Remy whispered amused as Bobby unpacked the game. "Never t’ought y’d be hidin’ dat one in y’r closet." Remy couldn’t deny the relaxed feeling that had taken possession of him. Ever since their talk earlier he’d let go of some of his fears. Bobby accepted him the way he was and that was everything he craved!

"Here, these are yours," Bobby said and handed Remy a set of stickers in the form of colored circles. He’d bought this game years ago, but had almost given up on ever using it and the idea of playing it with Remy made him shiver.

"What do I do?" Remy asked a bit puzzled.

"You stick them on your body, well clothes… and yes, you get to chose the spots," Bobby started to explain and knew he’d gotten himself in trouble. //Hopefully he won’t stick them on his groin and… Oh, what have I done? Remy will make me pay for playing this game, but it keeps him from brooding!//

"Stick dem on my body?" Remy decided he might like this game after all. "And den what happens?"

"Roll the dice," Bobby said and showed him, "and then you have to place your hand on the sticker on my body… if you’re brave enough to try!" Bobby suddenly felt a whole lot less brave than he had an hour ago. //At least I can determine where my stickers go!//

Remy looked at the stickers in his hand. This was far too tempting not to act on, but… he didn’t want to scare Bobby off, realizing darn well how insecure his lover was when it came down to touching and exploring. Sighing softly he waited for Bobby to place his stickers first. That might give him an indication of how far Bobby wanted to go.

//Okay, I can be a little bit brave… not much but a little,// he thought, seeing Remy’s indecisive stance and placed one on his lower back. That was all the daring he was going to get.

Remy took the hint and decided to mirror Bobby’s moves and stuck one on his lower back too. The others got attached to arms, legs and one went on his chest. "Feel stupid," Remy quipped, catching his reflection in the mirror.

"Didn’t you play games when you were young?" Bobby asked, beginning to have second thoughts about this. The grin on Remy’s face spelled trouble. Well, he’d dug his own grave this time!

"Let’s play den!" Remy said and rolled the dice. "Red."

Bobby swallowed hard. This might actually get embarrassing. Quickly, he checked the position of that color on his body and breathed relieved, left knee, which was quite uncompromising!

"Y’r turn, cher," Remy whispered and watched Bobby’s expression as his hand curled itself around his knee.

"Yeah, right," Bobby mumbled as his face turned flustered. //What if I get blue? That sticker is almost on his buttocks and I can’t possibly touch him there!// Rolling the dice he prayed it would be red, that sticker was on Remy’s elbow, but that hand on his knee was distracting him!

"Blue," Remy stated pleased and loved seeing the shock on Bobby’s face. "C’mon, cher, y’re not dat shy!"

"Well, I am!" Bobby replied in a mocking tone and closely watched his own hand descend to Remy’s back.

"Sticker is way down, cher," Remy teased amused. It wasn’t really fair to tease Bobby like this, but the man had suggested the game himself! And mon Dieu, it did feel great when Bobby’s fingers touched his back, even with the fabric between them. "Y’ picked a grand game!" Remy whispered and rolled the dice. Blue, that was a little disappointing and he rested his other hand on Bobby’s elbow. "How much longer do y’ want to play? I can t’ink of anot’er game we might wanna try," he whispered sensually.

"We can play those later," Bobby replied nervously, knowing only too well which games Remy had in mind. A knock on the door saved him and he drew in a deep breath before speaking up. "Would you remove your hands?" he asked Remy, but that grin told him Remy had other plans. "You don’t know who’s standing behind that door!"

"It’s Jean," Remy whispered, amazed to pick up on her amusement. "Guess we can’ hide t’ings from a telepat’," Remy mused aloud and reluctantly stepped away from Bobby. "We’ll play ‘gain ‘fore goin’ to bed," he decided and smiled seeing Bobby’s choked expression.

"Are you serious? You can’t be serious!" Bobby babbled. Remy wasn’t supposed to like this game!

"Close y’ mouth, cher." Remy sat down on the bed. "Ain’ y’ goin’ to tell her to come inside?"

"Yeah, of course," Bobby muttered confused, unused to this more relaxed side of Remy. "But I want to clean this up first."

Remy sighed, told Jean to enter and saw the knowing smile on her face as she noticed the dice and stickers all over their bodies. He could almost hear her in his mind… //This is so cute…// and barely managed to contain his laughter. He hadn’t felt this good in years!

///

Bobby had left the room to give Remy and Jean some privacy, relieved that the Cajun had agreed to talk to her about his newly discovered talents. So he went outside to take another walk. Unlike Remy, he loved the snow and ice all around him and on impulse he lowered his temperature until his body was solid ice.

Creating an ice slide he looked at the mansion and wondered what they might be discussing. Would Jean bring up the nightmares? How would Remy react to that? //What if he finds out I mentioned them to Jean? But I was only worried! I didn’t mean to… // Bobby forced himself to calm down. Remy trusted him. He’d felt that trust when the link had manifested.

As he reached the outskirts of the grounds, something Remy had said drifted back in to his mind. Rogue had left him there to die! An insane rage started to build in the pit of his stomach! She’d proclaimed she loved Remy and yet she’d signed his death warrant… someone should question her. Remy had mentioned to Storm that even a murderer deserved a trial. Rogue had almost killed him and she hadn’t even been disciplined! Scott, their team leader, had to do something!

Changing direction he headed for the section of the mansion where Scott and Jean had their rooms. While Jean was talking to Remy he planned on having a serious conversation with Scott! Shifting back to human form he climbed the stairs and knocked on Scott’s door.

"Enter."

Steeling himself for whatever excuse Scott would produce for Rogue’s actions he stepped inside. Scott was sitting behind his computer, probably updating the professor via email and suddenly Bobby didn’t feel that brave any more.

Looking up, Scott noticed Bobby standing in the doorway, a wavering expression on his face, looking ready to bolt. "Bobby?"

"Can we talk?" Bobby ventured at last. Scott looked comfortable and in a good mood so he decided to take his chances.

Scott stifled a smile. "Is this about Gambit?"

"Yeah," Bobby whispered softly. "Kinda… I wanna talk to you about Rogue and what she did."

"Leaving him behind and telling us he’d died?" Scott summarized.

"Yeah," Nervously, Bobby shuffled his feet. "It was wrong what she did."

"I know," Scott sighed. "I’ve been trying to get a hold of her, but… I can’t locate her."

"So you think she was wrong too?" This would be a lot easier if Scott would back Remy up. For some reason he’d thought Scott would take Rogue’s side.

"Yes, no matter what mistakes Remy made, he’s still an X-Men and Rogue should have taken him back."

Satisfied that Scott was looking into the matter he headed back for the corridor, but Scott’s voice made him halt momentarily. "Jean told me about you and Remy."

Bobby’s mouth had gone dry hearing that remark. Just what had Jean told Scott? //Not that there is much to tell!// Bobby thought, partly reassured. Waiting impatiently he wondered what the ‘Fearless leader’ had to say about his rather unexpected coming out.

"Just be careful, Bobby," Scott started, saw the glint in Bobby’s eyes and specified his request. "What I’m trying to say is… Remy survived a very traumatic event and… Jean said he’s sort of vulnerable at the moment."

//Jean said,// echoed in Bobby’s mind. //They’ve been talking about us? Us, as in an item?// Some foggy part of his brain thought, //They’ve been discussing Remy and me?// It surprised him greatly that Scott seemed this… concerned. Bobby wasn’t even sure if that was the right word. "I know he’s vulnerable," he replied eventually. //I’m the one holding him during the night when he’s having those nightmares. Of course I know he’s vulnerable!//

"Good," Scott said, hoping Bobby hadn’t taken his remark the wrong way. "Remy needs some peace after the mess Rogue created."

That statement surprised Bobby even more. "I thought you didn’t like Remy?"

"Well, maybe I made a mistake in judgement." Maybe he’d read Gambit wrong all this time. Suddenly feeling uncomfortable he pretended to pay attention once more to the screen. "Anything else?"

Bobby shook his head. He’d addressed Rogue and Scott would talk to her once she’d been found. "No, I’m going back to my room and see if Jean’s done talking to Remy."

"She’s on her way back," Scott informed him, but didn’t tell Bobby that Jean’s thoughts radiated unease. Talking to Remy had upset her, why?

"Great, I’ll be on my way then!" Bobby turned about to head back to his room when he bumped in to Jean. It only took one look at her eyes to see she was distressed. "Is something wrong?"

Jean took a deep breath, remembering the promise she’d made to Remy. Everything Remy had told her was confidential and she couldn’t violate that trust. Remy wouldn’t give her a second chance. "Maybe you should go back and see how Remy is doing. He might need you."

Bobby didn’t hesitate and dashed down the corridor.

///

"Remy?" Bobby said as he opened the door. Quickly he scanned the room and tensed up when he found the Cajun wasn’t in sight. But hearing water running in the bathroom, he sighed. "Remy?" he repeated and peeked inside.

Remy had quickly splashed some cold water on his face. Jean had lured him into talking about things he’d buried deep inside his soul. It turned out that she had been more interested in his youth than his empathy. Oh, they’d discussed both but… "Bobby?" he whispered and forced himself to smile. He’d already burdened Bobby with too many problems during these last days. "Wanna play anot'er game of Touch and Feel?" he said, trying to act like nothing had happened.

"Have you been crying?" Bobby stuttered nervously. Remy’s eyes were swimming and although the alien eyes were at times hard to read, he realized with a start that his assumption had been right. "You have been crying!"

"It’s not’in’, cher," Remy said, unwilling to discuss this right now. He needed time to put everything Jean had said in to the right perspective.

"Don’t shut me out," Bobby pleaded in a soft tone. "We’re in this together, remember?"

"Later, cher," Remy promised and dried his face. "Wanna grab somet’in' to eat?"

"You’re hungry then?" Bobby smiled. He’d hoped Remy’s appetite would return with a vengeance.

///

As they made their way to the kitchen, Remy remained quiet and Bobby knew better than to push him. He suspected Remy would open up during the night after the nightmares had started. It was a little too early to go to sleep so Bobby suggested a short walk.

Remy agreed, realizing he needed to get his stamina back. //I need to get over dis fear of snow and ice.//

They grabbed a quick snack and then slipped into their parkas. Remy smiled as Bobby’s arm crept around his waist. The fact that Bobby was giving him the time he needed to get his thoughts ordered, touched him. The depth of Bobby’s love still baffled him.

Shivering, he stepped in to the garden. It had grown dark outside and the moon was the only source of light. It reminded him of…

Concerned, Bobby studied Remy’s face, guessing what was upsetting him. "This reminds you of Antarctica?"

"Oui, at night it was even colder…" Remy trembled as the memory came alive again. "It was so cold…"

Bobby wrapped Remy in an easy embrace and waited until his lover was ready to continue their walk. "And you still don’t remember how you survived?" Bobby knew he should stay away from that question, but his curiosity had gotten the better of him.

Remy closed his eyes; uncertain he could lie to Bobby. He didn’t want to lie to him in the first place! Magneto…

"Remy, it’s awright if you don’t wanna answer that question," Bobby said in a soft tone.

"Non, y’ should know, but I promised not to tell anyone." Remy leaned in to the embrace and sought out Bobby’s eyes. "I don’ wanna lie to y’."

Bobby walked over to a bench, removed the snow and sat Remy down. "You don’t have to tell me. I should never have asked that question." Rubbing Remy’s cold hands he waited for whatever would follow. It was obvious Remy was struggling with something and needed time to make a decision.

But something else was upsetting Remy as well. A presence, cold and angry, filled with hate was tugging at the edges of his mind. Remembering Bobby’s question he hoped he was doing the right thing. "Magneto found me, took me in and brought me back," Remy whispered and averted his eyes. Was Bobby feeling this angry or was something, someone else closing in on him?

That admission surprised Bobby. "Magneto?"

"Oui, he found me de second night. Wit’out him I’d be dead now," Remy added and looked to his right. A threat, dark and dangerous was dancing around him and he didn’t know what to make of it. He’d never felt something that… evil before.

"Well, it will feel odd fighting him in the future, knowing he saved your life," Bobby said and accepted the truth. "He brought you back to the mansion?"

"Oui, he felt I should face my demons," Remy replied and forgot to breathe as the threat became tangible and suddenly he knew for sure that these weren’t Bobby’s feelings. Something, someone else was close.

"Yeah, I understand why you would want to keep that to yourself. Thanks for telling me though. It means a lot to me that you trust me," Bobby said sincerely and then noticed Remy’s tense expression. "What’s…" Bobby never got the chance to finish that sentence, as a winged figure broke loose from the dark midnight sky, descending on the snow covered garden.

///

As their eyes met, Remy shivered violently and remembered something he'd read on an Egyptian artifact while stealing it. 'Death comes on swift wings...' The winged figure's feet didn't touch the ground, but hovered in front of them. Finally Remy realized that he'd been picking up the hate the other man emanated.

"Warren?" Bobby whispered shocked and rose swiftly to stand protectively in front of Remy. Both were dumb-struck at the sight of the blue skin, metal wings and infuriated glare in those eyes. "Warren?" he repeated entranced. This couldn't be Angel!

"I am Death," the winged figure stated in a hollow voice, "and it's time for you to die, LeBeau." The words were hissed in venomous hatred, eyes burning with a deadly passion.

"Ange?" Remy sighed, already surrendering to the inevitable, yet at the same time wondering about Warren's changed appearance. This wasn't the Angel he knew. "What happened to y'?

"I am Death."

The sharp voice cut through the dark night and Remy shivered apprehensively. "Eye for an eye, mon ami?" he said knowingly. Warren was here to claim his vengeance. An infuriated growl fled in to the cold darkness and Remy realized he should start running. He had to do something before Warren made his move. "Get back to de mansion, Bobby," Remy instructed in a shaky tone, giving his lover one last glance and then ran away from him. He couldn't take the risk of Bobby getting injured accidentally. Warren only wanted him!

"Yes, run, but you can't hide!" Warren exclaimed furiously and took to the sky. The moment he had gained enough speed and height he fell back to the earth, extending his arms to grab LeBeau's torso. He'd forgotten about Bobby 's presence, didn't even want to know why the two men had been sitting that close. He only wanted to repay his tormentor with pain equal to that which he had felt in those tunnels. Because of that pain he'd given into Apocalypse, who had turned him into one of his horsemen and once again he soared through the sky being carried by wings, which could take him even higher. Revenge was all he craved, pain all he felt and a terrible desire to inflict pain like the Cajun had never experienced before consumed him and then... he'd kill LeBeau, slowly and painfully. //I sold my soul to have my revenge!/ His heart had died when Apocalypse had changed him into Death.

Bobby watched Warren fly away from him and felt indecisive. He should return to the mansion to warn the others, but he couldn't leave Remy alone with... Warren? No, the man who had addressed them wasn't Warren any longer, at least not the Warren they'd known for years. This was a stranger and Bobby finally made up his mind, fearing that Remy wouldn't defend himself because the Cajun still wanted to repent for his supposed crimes.

A second later it was the Iceman who followed Warren's silhouette in the darkness. Desperately, he tried reaching out to Remy via their link, but his lover had completely shut himself off. Cursing softly he picked up speed and finally made out Remy's shadow.

Remy knew he couldn't outrun Warren and he hoped fervently that Bobby had made it back to the mansion safely. Short of breath he came to a standstill and turned to face Warren. He wasn't going to run any more. This was the end.

Warren grinned at seeing LeBeau's exhausted expression and grabbed him harshly, took to the air again and hissed, "Prepare to die."

Remy didn't struggle, accepting his fate, but regretting leaving Bobby behind. But Drake was still young and would quickly find another lover. Sensing the immense hatred in Warren's mind he shivered as it seeped through his shields. By the looks of it Warren would unexpectedly drop him and he would fall to his death.

//Je suis si désolé, Bobby,// Remy thought. //I never wanted it to end dis way.// But he made sure Bobby never received that message, not wanting to further distress his lover. "Just get it over wit', Ange," he whispered and wished he'd had a chance to say good-bye to Jean-Luc.

Warren laughed harshly. "Don't worry. Your death will be painful!"

Bobby, trying to catch up with them, realized he was too slow and bit down the anger and pain he felt at Warren's actions. This way he wouldn't be able to stop Angel from whatever he planned on doing to Remy!

Looking down, Remy watched the earth pass by quickly and focused on Warren's pain and hatred. If he was going to die, he might try and take some of the pain he'd caused with him to the grave. Carefully he probed Warren's mental defences and easily slipped inside. Warren's emotions actually frightened him. There was so much rage and pain that it almost took possession of him as well and he allowed the anger to wash through him, absorbing it, taking it deeply into the depths of his own soul. He filtered it, cleansing the emotions until the core was exposed. Remy gasped, seeing the pain Warren was in. The loss of his wings had pushed the man over the edge.

"What?!" Warren yelped, as something pure, warm and soothing coursed through his mind, his very soul, applying a balm to the hurt, taking away the sharp edges to the pain. Something warm wrapped itself around his hungry soul and instinctively he yielded to it. A cure for his pain was within reach and the starved part of his soul embraced it greedily.

Remy shook as Warren began to draw in part of his energy, but he didn't prevent it from happening, instead he added his feelings of remorse to the stream and poured everything straight in to Warren's soul.

Warren screamed, throwing back his head at the intrusion and gasping for breath as pain and anger were coaxed to leave his soul. Remorse and apology touched his mind and he lost his hold on LeBeau as he raised his hands to clutch his head, which was about to explode.

Bobby's blood would have frozen in his veins if it hadn't been ice already the moment Remy began to fall towards the earth. //Faster, faster!// Bobby urged himself on, extending his arms to catch the falling thief.

While gaining speed Remy managed to sever the link, which had formed between Warren and he during the last moments. He'd succeeded in absorbing most of the hate and pain, but had no idea if and how it would affect Warren. Realizing he was only seconds away from death he closed his eyes and sent one last message to Bobby. //Je toujours vous aimerai, Bobby, forever.//

Receiving that last testimony of Remy's love, Bobby gritted his teeth and leapt forward, catching the Cajun before he hit the earth, quickly forming an ice slide. "Remy?" Scanning him Bobby noticed the closed eyes. Sometime during his fall Remy had lost consciousness. "I've got you, Remy. You're safe." He murmured the words to reassure himself, knowing Remy couldn't hear them.

As he finally stepped onto solid earth again he looked questioningly at his surroundings. Ice and snow surrounded him and he didn't want to lie Remy down in that cold, so he simply kept holding him and shifted to human form to offer Remy the little body heat he radiated. A sharp scream made him seek out Warren and he shivered at the intensity in that voice.

///

The world around him was falling apart and Warren only had Remy's remorse to hold onto as the hate and anger vanished, leaving him empty. As his wings took him higher he shuddered at what he'd done. //I handed my soul on a silver platter to Apocalypse and the bastard took it! I sold my soul for these metal wings and all this for revenge.// Saddened and frustrated he tried to regain control over his senses and emotions. //This is LeBeau's doing! He's trying to confuse me, to render me helpless... but... his remorse feels so damned sincere and...// Now that the blinding rage had left his soul he realized what he'd done. //Death! Apocalypse turned me in to one of his fucking horsemen! But he could only do that because I was so intent on killing LeBeau! I can't live without the ability to fly!//

LeBeau... Where was he? Warren stared at his empty hands and shivered. Quickly, he steered towards the earth to search for the Cajun's shattered body. //This isn't what I wanted! This isn't right! I'm not a cold-blooded killer!//

And then his eyes found Bobby's form in the snow. Bobby? What was Bobby doing here? Warren vaguely remembered that LeBeau hadn't been alone when he' d carried out his sneak attack.

Bobby returned Warren's stare and prepared himself for battle if necessary. At the moment he was the only thing standing between his lover and the man who wanted to kill him... //A man who once was my friend! Warren, damnit, what's wrong with you?!//

"Bobby?" Warren murmured softly and descended at a safe distance from his friend. Bobby was holding LeBeau tightly and he couldn't decipher the expression in those blue eyes.

"Stay away from us! You almost killed him!" Bobby warned Warren, ready to become the Iceman the moment Warren made a threatening move.

"Bobby, I…" Warren grew silent, uncertain what to say. "The madness is gone," he whispered eventually and tucked his wings away behind his back. "I don’t know what…"

"Why are your wings made out of metal? And what happened to your skin?" Bobby slowly rubbed Remy's arms, wishing the thief would regain consciousness.

"Apocalypse did this to me," Warren admitted ashamed and peeked at LeBeau's face. Had he really tried to kill the man? Had he really sold his soul to become a murderer? //Yes.// "I'm sorry," he offered and took one step closer.

"Don't move!" Bobby warned him again, this time more forcefully. Remy stirred in his arms and he focused on his lover instead. "Remy?"

Hearing the intimate tone to that word Warren's head jerked. He hadn’t known Bobby and LeBeau were friends!

"Bobby?" Remy mumbled dazedly, drawn to both Bobby's love and Warren' s confusion. Opening his eyes, he gazed at Warren, who hesitantly returned the stare. "So much pain and hate," Remy murmured and gathered his last strength to lure Warren's hurt closer, absorbing the last remnants.

Warren realized that LeBeau had something to do with him regaining his wits, but didn't understand what had happened. He only knew this peaceful sensation descending on to his mind, warming his soul until its flame burned with its former compassion.

Remy's head lolled back as he fainted a second time.

Bobby was torn between concern for his lover and the anger aimed at the man who had inflicted this pain. "Get out of my way, Warren. Hank needs to check on Remy."

But Warren had dropped to his knees, arms folded around his waist as warmth drove away the cold... A burning sensation slid across his back and he screamed in agony.

Bobby involuntarily stepped backwards on hearing that scream, finding himself unable to walk away from Warren.

Warren’s face contorted as pain sliced through him. Something split his body in two and his metal wings made way for the real feathers that had formed underneath them.

Bobby swallowed hard, as he witnessed the stunning transformation. Warren's blue skin tone remained, but those awfully grotesque metal wings had disappeared and the old ones rustled softly, as the wind caressed them. "Warren? We need to get back to the mansion." Remy's limp body was growing heavy in his arms. He could change into ice, but then Remy's body temperature would drop further.

But Warren was lost in his own sensations and stared in disbelief at the wings that had sprung from his shoulder blades. "I don't understand," he whispered stunned, but as his hands wandered over the feathers he couldn't deny reality. His wings had grown back!

Bobby gave up on getting through to Warren as Remy shook violently in his arms. Determined, he started his way back to the mansion. He'd tell the others to search for Warren, but he doubted the man wanted to be found.

Warren got to his feet, trying out his new wings and his feet lost contact with the earth. Ecstatic, he sighed relieved. The nightmare was over! Only then did he realize that Bobby was running away from the clearing, carrying LeBeau in his arms. Calculating the distance to the mansion Warren doubted Bobby would make it all the way, certainly not in his human form.

Torn, he wondered what to do. He'd been the one who had injured LeBeau and to his astonishment he found that he regretted his former actions. //Death, I called myself Death and told him I was going to kill him. LeBeau... I made a terrible mistake.// Finally allowing that truth in, he changed direction and quickly caught up with the two men. The look Bobby gave him spoke of suspicion and alertness. Warren composed himself and said, "Let me take him back to the mansion. I can cover the distance much faster."

"And give you another chance at killing him? No way!" Bobby spat defensively.

"Bobby, I was out of my mind! Please!" Warren pleaded and stole a gaze at LeBeau's face, which was pale and drained. "He needs help."

Bobby couldn't deny the truth to those words. It would take him 20 minutes at least to get to the mansion, 10 if he iced up, but then Remy would lose his only source of warmth. Warren was right. Angel could cover that distance in a few minutes, but... how could he entrust Remy to whatever it was that Warren had turned into. He no longer trusted Angel!

"Bobby, please. I no longer want to hurt him." Warren waited for Bobby's answer, recognizing the emotion in those blue eyes, which he had learned to read a long time ago. "You love him?" he stuttered surprised.

"Just leave us alone, Warren!" Bobby's eyes concentrated on the outline of the mansion. //Hold on, Remy. Just a few more minutes and we're home!//

"I'm sorry, Bobby. I don't know what possessed me to act like that! Apocalypse did something to me..." Warren stopped pushing, realizing that Bobby would rather die than hand Remy over to him.

Bobby bit his lip until it bled. The last thing he needed was for Warren to wallow in self-pity. "And all this because you lost your wings?"

"Yes," Warren admitted, guilt showing in his voice. He'd have some explaining to do once they saw his blue skin color. Accepting the fact that Bobby no longer trusted him, he concentrated on the serenity that was still washing over his soul. Had LeBeau instigated this? His 'transformation' had something to do with the Cajun, he was certain of that, but he would have to wait until LeBeau had regained consciousness before he would get any answers.

Bobby's fingers checked Remy's pulse. Too slow, much too slow and he suspected Remy had gone in to shock after linking with Warren. Bobby felt ashamed when he discovered a hint of envy within his thoughts. Remy was his lover and Warren had tried to kill him! Remy's reaction had been to link with his attacker and to draw out the anger and replace it with remorse and reassurance. He couldn't help wondering about the damage Remy had inflicted on himself by absorbing Warren's rage like a sponge.

He ignored Warren's surprised gasp as he placed a tender kiss on Remy's brow. "Hold on, Remy," he whispered concerned and didn't waste a moment as Warren opened the door to let him pass by. Bobby immediately headed for the medlab.

///

Bobby gently laid Remy down on a bed and then wanted to head for the intercom to tell Hank to get down here when he heard Warren contacting McCoy in a soft tone. Focusing on Remy, Bobby noticed the shallow breathing and film of cold sweat on the Cajun's brow. Linking with Warren had taken a lot of out him. "Just hold on," he told Remy and squeezed his hand. "Hank will look after you."

Remy didn't seem to hear him; at least he didn't get any response. Worried, Bobby draped some blankets over Remy's cold body. Shaking his head he wondered why Remy had reached out like that to Warren. Considering the animosity between the two men he'd expected Remy to hold on to his shields. But then again, Remy had been in emotional pain too and that might have been the reason why he'd suddenly felt connected to Warren.

"Bobby?" Warren wasn't sure what to do. They probably wanted him to leave the medlab, but seeing Bobby distressed like this made him nervous. He'd never suspected his friend felt attracted to Gambit. But the look on Bobby's face, the way his fingers were curled around LeBeau's, didn't leave any room for doubt and he wondered whether Gambit returned those feelings.

Warren felt lost. Nothing made sense any more. His metal wings had disappeared, Apocalypse no longer had a hold on him and the pain and hurt had vaporized into thin air. He desperately needed to find out what Gambit's part had been in this recent development. Had the Cajun really touched his mind and drawn out the hatred? But that was impossible! LeBeau wasn't a telepath!

"Warren," Bobby asked in a tired, yet dangerous tone. "What do you want?"

"I want to help," Warren whispered softly, before he'd realized what the answer would be.

"If you really wanna help, go and get Jean," Bobby instructed and pulled a chair closer to the bed, never letting go of Remy's hands.

"Consider it done." Warren glanced one more time at LeBeau's closed eyes and then left the medlab to get Jean. It also gave him a moment to think things over. Scott would demand an explanation and he’d better get his act together before knocking on the couple's door.

///

It was Jean who opened that door after hearing his frantic knocking. Her expression told him that she knew something was wrong and he nodded his head, not paying any attention to the questioning look in her eyes as she took in his changed skin color. "LeBeau is in the medlab and needs your help."

Jean dashed out of the room, down the corridor, disappearing as she descended the stairs.

"Warren? Is that you?" Scott stepped closer and cocked his head, studying the other man. "Why don't you come inside? I think we need to talk."

Warren realized it would be best to get this over with right now and accepted the invitation, not looking forward to confessing to his actions.

///

Still tired and not really awake yet Hank wished he knew why someone had 'ordered' him to come to the medlab ASAP. Puzzled, he tried identifying the voice he'd heard. He knew it was someone familiar, but couldn't decide on a name.

Opening the door, the last remnants of sleep vanished as he saw Remy lying on an exam bed and Bobby protectively hovering over him. "What happened?" Within seconds he was next to the Cajun checking pulse, breathing and heartbeat.

Bobby looked up, a sad expression coloring his eyes. "Warren tried to kill him and then Remy somehow linked with him."

Hank forgot about his readings on hearing that startling bit of news. "Warren is back?" and finally he realized who'd called him down to the medlab.

"He has changed though," Bobby warned him. "How is Remy doing?" He would deal with Warren later; first he had to know if Remy was going to be fine.

"Shock," Hank said as he rubbed his chin. "I will ask Jean to come down and..."

"I'm here, Hank." A little short of breath because she'd been running, Jean smiled reassuringly at Bobby. "We'll take care of Remy."

Relieved, Bobby released a strangled sigh and then told them what had happened between Warren and Remy. "The link must have been too much to handle for him," he concluded concerned.

Jean looked in to Bobby's eyes. "I'm going to ask you to step outside, Bobby."

"No," Bobby started, but Jean's determined look silenced him.

"I've got to scan him, see what damage was done and I can't take the risk that you'll distract me or Remy should he wake up. I'll call you the moment I'm done," she promised.

Reluctantly Bobby let go of Remy's hands. "Be gentle with him?" he asked Jean pleadingly.

"Always," she replied and shot Hank a look.

"Come with me." Hank understood the hint and walked Bobby to the corridor. "You wait here. Now, don't fret about Remy. He's strong and will recover quickly."

"Thanks," Bobby whispered, grateful for the concern in Hank's eyes, which was aimed at him for a change. "I'm fine. You get in there and work your magic."

Hank smiled tenderly and then returned to his patient.

///

"I can't believe you did that!" Scott exclaimed angrily. Warren had told him about Apocalypse, his transformation and the attempt to kill Gambit. "Did you lose your mind? You're one of the original X-Men! Damnit Warren, you should know better than trusting..." and then he grew silent, struck by the similarities between Remy and Warren's mistakes, but this time there was also a big difference. "Remy trusted Sinister because his powers had gone berserk and he needed help... Help, which we couldn't provide, but you... You took Apocalypse's offer because you wanted vengeance. You tried to kill another X-Man!"

Warren stared at the floor. His first reaction had been to defend his actions, but then he'd realized Scott had every right to lecture him because he had messed up big time! Look what his holier than thou attitude had gotten him into! "I know what I did was wrong, Scott!" he returned in a strained tone. "I can't explain why I acted that way."

"What changed your mind? Confronting Remy?" Scott asked, feeling a need to defend the Cajun who had been through so much lately. It was only because of Jean that he knew just how hurt Remy felt. Telepathically she'd shown him the depths of that pain and it had resulted in a new sort of understanding. This time he was going to make sure they were watching Remy's back. This time he was going to show Remy they could be trusted. This time they wouldn't let him down.

"I guess so," Warren admitted gingerly, "though I can't explain what happened. I... it felt like hearing Jean or the professor in my mind, but there weren't any words... just feelings."

"Remy is an empath," Scott explained, trying to be patient, wishing Warren had never drifted that far away from the team. "He probably picked up on your emotions and... You have to ask Jean about this. I'm still not sure what the extent of his power is. He’s kept it hidden from us since he joined."

Warren's eyes grew big. "An empath?"

"Yes," Scott whispered and made a decision. "Listen, I don't want this to get out of control. Remy made a mistake, so did you. I suggest you go down to the medlab and talk things out. I need Remy on the team and I'd like you to return as well." He didn't know if this was a wise decision, but the two men had to deal with this now.

Warren's hand rested on the doorknob and softly he asked, "I don't know what to say to LeBeau and then there's Bobby..."

Scott took a deep breath and said, "They're lovers, Warren, get over it." After he'd spoken those words he shook his head. This was Jean's influence talking.

"I never knew... never suspected..."

"What? That Bobby was gay?" Scott finished for him. "We didn't know that either, but... if that's who he is. Does that matter? He's been part of this team for years and I consider him a friend."

"And LeBeau..." Warren whispered and then remembered the foul remarks he'd cracked directed at the Cajun. "Do you think he heard the things I said behind his back?" Warren didn't know why hearing the answer was that important all of a sudden.

"Jean mentioned something..." Scott hesitated to continue. "Yes, he did and you know what? I feel guilty for letting it go that far. I should have stopped it."

"I owe him an apology then," Warren said, wondering why his anger, hate and pain weren't rearing their ugly heads. "But first I'd like some answers," he muttered privately, leaving the room.

"Good luck with getting them," Scott remarked, knowing from first hand experience how hard it was to gain Remy's trust. He was still working on it.

///

Jean sighed deeply when she managed to puncture Remy's shields. An immense amount of alien emotions were swirling in his mind with no way out. They should have discussed this technique when they'd talked earlier, but Remy had become too emotional when she'd asked him about the nightmares.

"Jean?" Hank said softly, not wanting to distract her, but in need of information. Remy's readings were unstable and indicated neural activity was exceeding the limit.

"Just give me a little more time, Hank. I'm almost there," she whispered and moved her hands over Remy's brow. Slowly, she began pushing the excessive emotions through the holes in his shield, which she would have to repair later. But these negative emotions were poisoning him and needed a way out. "That's better," she sighed relieved and opened her eyes.

Hank nodded his head as the readings dropped to normal levels. "Can you tell me what you did?"

Jean smiled fatigued. "I opened a door," she said eventually. "Remy will be fine. A little tired and drained, but he'll recover."

"Can I get Bobby now? He's been pacing up and down the corridor." Hank felt confident his patient's condition was improving and he estimated that Remy would wake up shortly. "You should rest though," he said as Jean swayed on her feet and guided her to a chair. "Is there something I can do for you?"

"Contact Scott, I don't think I can walk back to our room." Jean closed her eyes and began to repair Remy's shields. She doubted she'd manage to do so in one go, but she had to try.

As Hank walked over to the doorway to let in Bobby, he wondered if he should ask Scott to take Warren with him when he came to pick up Jean. Taking everything that had occurred in to account Warren would be pretty shaken up too. First, he sent a message to Scott, who promptly answered him, informing him that Warren was headed for the medlab and that he would be there in a few minutes himself to take Jean back to their rooms. Satisfied, Hank gestured Bobby to come closer. Apparently the young man had been biting his fingernails and Hank smiled seeing the anxiety in those blue eyes. "You can see Remy now," he whispered and laughed warmly as Bobby practically ran into the medlab.

"Boys will be boys," he muttered privately, but grew silent as Warren appeared in the corridor. "Before you go in there, we have got to talk," he stated. No way would he allow Warren to upset his patient.

Warren didn't object and halted in his tracks to listen to Hank's lecture, which he knew was about to be delivered

///

Bobby's first glance was for Remy, and seeing him soundly asleep, he sighed relieved. Noticing Jean's tired expression he peeked at her face. "Are you awright?"

"Yes," Jean whispered and smiled warmly. Sensing the question in his mind she said, "Remy is going to be fine. You might want to sit with him until he wakes up."

"What was wrong with him?" Bobby sat down on the side of the bed and gently caressed Remy's brow.

"He couldn't deal with the emotional overload," Jean said, trying to explain an alien concept to Bobby. "He absorbed a huge amount of Warren's feelings, mostly hate and pain and Remy hasn't learned yet how to release them again, so they stayed locked within his mind."

"Thanks, Jean," Bobby murmured touched.

Jean simply smiled, not even bothering to reassure him they were welcome.

Scott appeared and immediately walked over to Jean. "You need rest," he said, sensing her fatigue. "I might be tempted to carry you upstairs," he added.

Jean's smile sparkled hearing that remark. "I won't stop you," she whispered, feeling too tired to put one foot in front of the other.

Scott took her in to his arms and lifted her to his chest. "We should do this more often," he whispered.

Jean nodded her head, and then looked at Bobby. "Should you need me..."

"Go and get that rest," Bobby said softly, exchanging a look with Scott. "Where is Warren?"

Scott sighed. He wasn't going to get into another discussion. If they couldn't settle the issue he was willing to mediate, but now he had to take care of Jean. "Just give him a chance, Bobby," he whispered eventually and left the two lovers alone.

"A chance..." Bobby whispered privately. What if he hadn't given Remy that chance? But this was different. Warren had tried to kill Remy!

Remy's eyelids fluttered and then he drew in a deep breath. Waking up slowly he felt disoriented and instinctively reached out to the nearest presence. "Bobby," he whispered and smiled. Even now Bobby was at his side. Slowly, Remy opened his eyes and lovingly examined Bobby's feelings more closely. He couldn't help himself, he was feeling strangely empty. "Y're here, cher?"

"Of course I am!" Bobby sounded frustrated. "I would have stayed here the entire time if Hank hadn't thrown me out of the medlab."

Remy smiled lazily at that comment. Something strange was going on. The last thing he remembered was Warren's pain and hate nearly overwhelming him and now those dark feelings were gone.

"Something wrong?" Bobby asked, seeing the confused expression on Remy's face.

"I ain' sure," Remy replied hesitantly. It was like an immense burden had been lifted from his soul and he felt strangely at peace. Even his dark brooding tendencies seemed to have disappeared. Raising a trembling hand he cupped Bobby's face in his palm and rubbed his thumb over the warm skin. Slowly, he pulled Bobby closer until he could brush those lips with his. A fire was growing inside his mind and he yearned for the contact, for Bobby's love. As he deepened the kiss he registered Bobby's muffled protest. But he needed something to fill the void in his mind.

Bobby answered that kiss with all the passion he could muster; wondering whether Hank or someone else was watching them. It wasn't that kissing Remy embarrassed him, not any more, but the Cajun was still recovering from whatever damage the link had done and the last thing he expected was for Remy to kiss him this passionately. Remy emanated a deep need which was sneaking in to his mind, the need to be touched, to touch, the need to feel his love, the need to return that love. What was it Jean had said? She'd found a way to deal with Remy's dark and broody feelings? Suddenly understanding what was going on he pressed his lips even tighter on to Remy's. He would give whatever Remy needed, honored the Cajun had accepted him as his lover.

Warren watched them from the doorway. Hank stood next to him, a hand resting on his left shoulder, obviously meant to keep him back should he decide to go for LeBeau. But attacking Gambit was the last thing on his mind after Hank had told him about the relationship which had developed between Bobby and the Cajun.

He took Hank's word for it that Gambit was sincere, knowing how hard it was to fool McCoy. Swallowing hard he realized he had to face both men... now.

////

As Remy released Bobby's lips, a familiar presence came crushing in on him. He looked to the doorway and sighed, seeing Warren standing there. For some reason he'd expected the man to leave the mansion as quickly as possible.

Maybe it had something to do with the confused emotions he was receiving from Warren. Remy tried strengthening his shields but they felt weak, as if they were recovering from a severe attack.

Bobby followed Remy's stare and shot Warren an angry glance. Why couldn't Angel let Remy get some rest? Warren was the reason Remy was in this state in the first place. He was about to tell Warren to get out when Remy shook his head.

"Bobby, don'."

"What?" Bobby asked, wondering what Remy was trying to say. Remy looked relaxed and he wanted to keep it that way. Talking to Warren would only upset the Cajun, who was obviously too weak to even sit up, as Remy had to abandon that effort.

With a sigh Remy resigned himself to lying down. How could he explain this to Bobby? Turning Warren away was the worst thing they could do. "Don' tell Ange to leave," he whispered and closed his eyes again as a wave of fatigue hit him. He was sleepy, yet somehow he suspected the nightmares wouldn't torment him as heavily as they used to and he might even enjoy his rest if only they would stop talking!

Bobby didn't object hearing Remy's request, but wondered why the Cajun was making it. "Remy?" he asked, sucking in his breath when his lover's feelings softly washed over him. Apparently Remy was too tired to talk and was trying to tell him something this way. "I think I understand," he said hesitantly.

Remy knew how it felt to be shunned for the mistakes he'd made and he didn't want the same to happen to Warren. "You know something?" Bobby started and Remy 's smile brightened like the Cajun already knew what he was going to say. "Every time I think I got you figured out you do something... and..." Bobby grew speechless, seeing and sensing the emotion in Remy's eyes, which differed from what he had witnessed before. "Want me to call him over here?"

Remy nodded his head and enjoyed the sensation as Bobby's left hand tangled in his hair. As long as Bobby stayed close everything was perfect.

"Warren?" Bobby called, his voice tense as he gestured Angel over to the bed. He was going to monitor every move and when he didn't like what he was seeing or hearing, he would step in, Remy needed rest!

"Don' get too protective of me," Remy whispered nervously. Never before had someone cared this deeply about him and it frightened him a little. He wasn't sure if he could ever repay Bobby for the effort he was making. Somewhere along the road he would screw up again and lose Bobby's love.

Bobby sighed sensing the turmoil in Remy's mind. The link between them had strengthened and he'd been sensing Remy's feelings since the Cajun had woken up. Instead of assuring Remy vocally that he loved him, Bobby concentrated hard and hoped that the affection and passion he felt for the Cajun was flowing across the link back to Remy.

Remy felt the manipulation and slowly nodded his head. Bobby would be there to catch him should he fall. "Merci," he whispered and then hesitantly looked up at Warren, who had now reached his bed. Remy hated the fact that he was lying down, which made him feel even more vulnerable. Although he tried hard not to pry into Warren's feelings, Remy found it impossible to shut them out, they were too intense. As he made eye contact, Warren's face reflected confusion and Remy remained quiet. Warren needed to talk to him, even if Angel had difficulty finding the right words. Warren's emotions already told him what would follow and Remy waited patiently, trying to assure Bobby with his eyes that everything was fine.

Warren didn't know where to start, or what to say. Bobby had never before looked at him with such anger in his eyes and that startled him, and then it hit him. //By taking out LeBeau I tried to kill his lover... Bobby in love with LeBeau, somehow I still can't believe it!//

"Ange?" Remy said softly, privy to the sudden revelation that was upsetting Warren.

"Yes," Warren sighed and straightened his shoulders, abruptly aware of the familiar feel of his feathered wings. "I don't know what to say," he finally admitted. "But then again I suspect you already know that and... other things as well, being an empath."

So Scott and Jean had told Warren, Remy realized. It didn't really matter. This strange serenity that had taken possession of his mind was making it hard to get upset about anything at all.// I wonder if dis is how people feel who are high on drugs or Valium!//

Warren marveled at the peaceful expression as well and cocked his head. "Le..." and stopped himself. This was about settling their differences and getting rid of whatever stood between them. "Gambit?"

"Funny feelin'," Remy stated, uncertain just how to describe it. "Mais I'm listenin'." He knew from personal experience that this was important to Warren. Stealing a glance at Bobby he felt relieved that Drake was listening and not talking.

"What I'm trying to say is..." //Come on! You know you've got to say it!// "Is that I'm sorry I tried to kill you." Staring in to Gambit's alien eyes he waited for a reaction, which never came. "Gambit?" he said questioningly and looked to Bobby instead.

"Just give him a moment, Warren. His mind is pretty..." Bobby grinned and quipped. "Vacant, at the moment."

"Vacant?" Remy growled, but dismissed the comment. Bobby was right after all. "What do y' want from me?" he asked Angel, already knowing the answer.

"You were in my mind when I dropped you..."

"Oui," Remy admitted, "tryin' to ease de pain."

"I sensed your... regret," Warren said after a moment's thought. "I never stopped to think about what happened, you know."

Remy cocked his head, finding the statement puzzling. "'Bout what?"

"Why we... dislike each other so much among other things," Warren considered the answer. They were the opposite in almost every aspect of their character... weren't they? Suddenly it was important to him to find the source of that animosity between them. Why had he disrespected Gambit all this time?

Remy shrugged his shoulders, too tired to ponder that question. "Dunno," he replied in the end and squeezed Bobby's hand. Bobby wanted to speak up so badly, but Remy tempered him, knowing it was Warren's turn to bare his soul.

"Do you know I left the team once because I couldn't stand Wolverine?" Warren didn't know where that thought had come from. "I hated his..."

"What?" Bobby suddenly said. "Was it because Logan wouldn't accept the fact that you have all the answers? Are you finally going to admit that you felt he wasn't worthy of being part of the team because he sometimes goes feral? Are you that much better? Remy here, grew up as a street kid who had to fight to stay alive... you never had money problems," Bobby burst out, frustrated that this conversation wasn't leading anywhere. "I used to like you a lot, Warren but I hate that damn arrogant superiority you radiate!"

"Cher, don'," Remy started, but smiled approvingly. Bobby would always be honest with the people he cared about and no matter what, Bobby did like Warren a great deal.

"Maybe you're right," Warren sighed and nodded once. "Perhaps I need to change."

"Y' already did, mon ami," Remy whispered, knowing about the change deep within Warren's mind, which was taking place right now, caused by Angel's downfall.

"And I also owe you an apology," Warren continued, ignoring Gambit's raised eyebrow. "I was wrong when I cracked all those nasty jokes about you, calling you a..." and by God, he felt embarrassed for ever saying it... "A whore."

Bobby hissed, uncertain Remy was up for addressing that matter, drained as the Cajun was.

"Ange... It's okay," Remy said softly.

"Hank told me about that charm power... and you not realizing it was empathic." This was the longest and hardest apology he'd ever made and he wasn't finished yet. It was strange though, for the first time in too long he was starting to feel better. "Bobby is right, I'm arrogant and..."

"Ange, stop it," Remy whispered and locked eyes with Warren. "Someone told me dat we all make mistakes and dat makin' dem is okay. Same goes for y'." Feeling Bobby's pride took Remy by surprise and he shifted his glance from one man to the other.

"So, you did listen?" Bobby said pleased.

"To y'? Always." Remy teased gently, his eyes slipping shut. "Y're forgiven, Ange," he whispered as he slid in to sleep.

To his complete surprise, Warren found that his eyes were watering but what was causing it was hard to say. So many things had happened since he'd shown himself a few hours ago. Taking a step back from the bed he noticed the sparkling smile on Bobby's face and he couldn't remember ever seeing his friend this happy before. "I should go now," he announced.

Bobby didn't react and saddened, Warren took that as his cue to leave.

Unexpectedly Bobby's voice cut through the room. "Warren."

Warren stopped in his tracks, exchanging a look with Hank, who was walking over to Remy to have another look at those readings. Bobby walked up to Warren and pushed him in to the corridor. This was obviously something Bobby didn't want Gambit to hear and quietly he waited.

"You know I'm your friend, Warren," Bobby started after he closed the door. His blue eyes radiated determination.

Warren refrained from speaking; knowing Bobby wasn't finished yet.

"But if you ever try hurting Remy again, I will..." Bobby's voice dropped suddenly.

Warren took the opportunity and replied, "When I was Death I wasn't myself, Bobby. If I hadn't been out of my mind I would never have attacked him. I know you can't believe that right now, but... "

Bobby shook his head. "Scott asked me to give you a second chance. I will, for old times' sake. You helped me through rough times when I couldn't talk to anyone else." Bobby paused and looked at Remy through a window. The Cajun was soundly asleep.

"I never knew you liked him that much," Warren whispered hesitantly. "You never told me you were gay."

"I've only admitted that to myself very recently," Bobby sighed. "But I didn't have any choice. I'm in love with Remy," he mused and wondered how Warren felt about his coming out.

"And he loves you too?" Warren marvelled about the strange turn this conversation had taken.

"Oh yes," Bobby said and smiled. "I know how much he loves me, one of the advantages of being in love with an empath."

"So this works both ways? You can feel his emotions as well?" Warren asked interested.

"Yes, if he allows it or sends them to me."

"I felt his remorse before I dropped him," Warren confessed.

Bobby froze hearing those words, again reminded of how close Remy had come to dying. "Are you going to stay?" he inquired, eager to get back to Remy.

"Yes, that's if you and Gambit have no objections?" Warren knew there would be awkward moments if he stayed, but felt confident he could handle them. "There is still a lot I want to discuss with him," he explained. "Like how he made these grow again," and he pointed at his wings. "They grew back the moment the hate left my mind."

"You'll have to ask 'him' yourself, Warren," Bobby said in an odd tone. "And by the way, he has a name, Warren. It's Remy."

"Okay, I deserved that." Warren admitted, only just now realizing that Gambit only addressed him as Ange, not Warren, only Ange. Taking a deep breath he stared into Bobby's eyes. "You're dying to get back in there, Bobby, so what are you still doing out here?"

Bobby nodded his head once and quickly disappeared back into the medlab.

Warren, however, knew there was another person he needed, to talk to while he was mending bridges. If he truly wanted a second chance he would have to swallow his pride and get rid of that arrogance. Bobby had been right. It was time for an attitude adjustment and he knew just the person who would give it to him!

///

First he headed for his old room to change his clothing. As he looked into the mirror the only thing left that reminded him of Death was his blue skin. He doubted he would ever get rid of it and cursed Apocalypse. Until now he had refused to think of the things he had done in return. He'd done Apocalypse's dirty work.

The only one who really knew how bad he felt was LeBeau, no Gambit, no... //Remy, Bobby was right to correct me. I wish I had someone to support me like that. God, am I really feeling envious?//

Refusing to continue that line of thought he closed the door behind him and thought about Bobby and Remy, who would be spending the rest of the day in medlab. Hank had been pretty determined when he had made that decision. Not that Remy had objected, the man had been deeply asleep, but even in sleep a smile had persevered on his face.

Warren walked into the danger room. It had taken him a moment to locate Wolverine and he wasn't really surprised to find him in there. No program was running and Warren simply watched for a moment as Wolverine went through his training session. Leaning against the wall he realized what a deadly killing machine the Canadian was and wondered whether this was a good idea after all. But there was no way back.

Logan had caught his scent even before Warren had entered the danger room and decided not to let it disturb his training. Whatever the man wanted could wait. Scott had told him what had happened earlier that evening and Warren was the last person he wanted to see.

"What do ya want?" Logan said eventually, as he performed the ceremonial bow that completed his training.

"To talk to you," Warren replied, goose flesh forming on his blue skin at seeing the expression in those predatory eyes. Somehow it felt good to confront this part of his personality, but in another way he was scared for the outcome of this conversation.

"Then talk!" Logan grunted as he stood opposite the winged man.

"You don't like me, do you?" Warren started.

"Have ya ever givin' me a reason to like ya?" Logan asked in return. This youngster had so much to learn!

"No, I guess I haven't," Angel admitted. "We started off on the wrong foot."

"Hey, kid, you never gave me a chance!" Logan pointed out to him, taking in Angel's changed expression. It would take time to get used to that blue skin.

"True," Warren admitted and wondered about Wolverine's self-control or lack of it. "Your powers are a danger to the X-Men! I remember you going primal."

Logan suddenly grinned, like a cat that had just swallowed the birdie. "*Me* going primal, Death?"

Warren wanted to swing a punch at Logan's face, but he had wanted this confrontation, and as he locked eyes with the Canadian, he was surprised to find the grin gone. A rueful expression had appeared in its place.

"Ya know why ya don't like the Cajun and me? Because we know our dark side. We've seen it, faced it and ya don't like to be confronted by it. It scares ya, to know that we're capable of killing, doesn't it?"

Warren nodded. Logan had hit the bull's eye. Yet there was more and he waited patiently, not interrupting the man.

"And now ya know ya got it in ya too. To seek, destroy, maim and kill. Truth is most of us never get that low, never let the beast out of the cage," Logan continued, pleased that Warren wasn't denying the truth. The look in those blue eyes told Logan that Warren was trying to understand why he had allowed Apocalypse to turn him in to Death.

"Ya know what triggers it? Ya know what makes the beast rip apart his cage?" Logan hoped that Warren was listening, as an empty look appeared in those eyes.

"Pain" Warren whispered. Everything Logan had said thus far made sense and he was surprised by Wolverine's insight. He'd always assumed the Canadian wasn't capable of rational thinking, like he was all beast and no humanity at all.

"Yeah, pain. I went through it when they gave me this," and he extended his claws which caressed Warren's throat, seemingly ready to end his life... or not. "Ya went through it when ya lost yar wings, Worthington."

"And what about Gambit?" Warren asked on impulse.

Logan's eyes narrowed dangerously. What would he gain by telling Angel the truth? Would Warren understand? Really understand? Remy would never confide in Worthington and Logan didn't blame the Cajun one bit, but Warren seemed sincere in his effort to understand everything which had happened. He decided to take his chances. "Have ya ever asked the Cajun when it's his birthday?"

"No," Warren replied puzzled, "why?"

"Ever asked the kid who his parents are?" Logan continued ruthlessly. Warren had asked for this kick in the butt and he was going to get it.

"No," Warren replied thoughtfully. "What are you trying to tell me?"

"Did ya ever ask him if he cried himself to sleep after he'd made enough money to buy food and find some shelter when he was a kid?" Remy had never told him these things, but sometimes it was the silence that revealed the truth and Logan was a good listener.

Warren's head jerked back. "Bobby mentioned something about Remy being a street kid."

"Kid doesn't know when his birthday is, who his parents are," Logan answered his own questions and saw Warren's eyes change expression. "Ya figure out what he had to do to stay alive on the streets. Ever been to the slums? Every major city has them and every street is filled with kids, who sell their bodies and souls in exchange for money or food." Logan took a deep breath, realizing he had revealed too much to Warren, but he had to see this through now that he had started it. "There are many different kinds of pain in the world, Worthington, but he's been through the worst of them all."

Warren looked at the floor as certain things started to make a horrible kind of sense. The little things he had noticed that had irritated him. The way the Cajun always avoided personal matters and the way he had looked when they had accidentally touched during training. "I never knew."

Logan nodded his head. "Kid will be mad with me for telling ya this."

"Why didn't he tell us?" Warren asked. "It would have made things easier."

"Would it?" Logan replied with another question. "Or would you have felt even more revolted? The Cajun's eyes would have been filled with shame and guilt. Kid would never have dared to look ya in the eyes again." Logan paused and then asked in a sharp tone, "How do you feel about Bobby being with Remy?"

"Bobby," Warren whispered and returned Logan's glance. "Actually, knowing what I do now, I'm not surprised he managed to get through to Gambit."

Logan was slightly surprised by that admission. "Drake has matured a lot since the Cajun returned from Antarctica. We're so used to him bein' the clown of the team that we forget... Worthington?" Logan noticed the distressed look and inclined his head to study the man better.

"You were right all along," Warren admitted. "I never gave you any credit, did I? But what you say makes a lot of sense. Actually," and he grinned hesitantly, uncertain what Logan's reaction would be like, "you sound like a wise man."

Logan laughed warmly. "Took me 150 years to get there, kid. Maybe if ya live long enough... Close ya mouth before yar jaw hits the floor," he said amused, seeing Warren's amazed look.

"How many years?" Warren whispered.

"So ya wanna bond?" Logan bared his teeth. "Lets start with beer then!"

///

Chuckling wickedly, Logan watched Warren drown another beer. It had taken him some time to convince Worthington to have one, but after Warren had emptied that first can, he had immediately reached for a second, then a third and...

Three empty six-packs were lying on the floor and Warren had just hauled in a new one. "Ya should stop drinkin'. Ya're not used to it," Logan warned him, uncertain whether to laugh or fear the consequences. He should probably do both.

"Haven't...been drunk... for years!" Warren quipped triumphantly. "And you... were the one... who wanted to bond!" His speech was slurred and his eyes rolled in their sockets.

Logan had to admit he was having a great time watching Warren, but as he pried another empty beer can from Warren's fingers he encountered some resistance. "Come on, kid, ya had enough."

"Noooo," Warren exclaimed upset and leaned forward to grab the can. "You said... that you were my friend now!"

Logan shook his head. "I better take ya to ya room before..."

"Now, Logan..." Warren gave him a wink "It's nothing personal," -hiccup-,"but I don't... want you in my bed!"

"Oh, boy," Logan sighed and got to his feet. "Maybe I chose the wrong way to loosen you up." From the corner of his eye he noticed Bobby vanishing into the kitchen and by listening to the noise Drake was making, Logan realized he was fixing something to eat. //Maybe... maybe if I time this right we can have some fun!//

"I'm willing to give you..." -hiccup- "a nice hug in exchange for that can," -hiccup-

"Worthington, ya're drunk!" Logan stated and grabbed Warren's shoulders, pulling him to his feet. It was funny; the things alcohol did to people who weren't used to drinking! //Hugging me? Wonder what's really going on in that mind of yars, Worthington! But I can wait until ya're ready to talk about Apocalypse and Death. One day it'll suffocate ya and then we'll talk. //

"Do you think..." -hiccup- "we can be friends now... Wolvie?" Warren quipped and shot Wolverine an endearing smile. Subconsciously Warren knew it was the alcohol talking, but if felt so good not having to pretend anymore, to just let go and show a side he had always kept carefully hidden.

"Don't call me Wolvie!" Logan grunted and made a mental note to never feed Warren beer again. Bobby had left the kitchen and had disappeared in to his room. That could only mean Remy was being held up in the medlab and would show his face any moment now. Oh, he was going to have some fun with this one and it would hopefully lift this dark mood, which had been hanging over the mansion for far too long.

Leaning in closer he whispered in to Warren's ear, "Maybe Remy likes being hugged." Logan noticed the grin on Worthington's face and pushed him in Remy's direction as the Cajun walked around the corner. "Got something for ya, Cajun!" he called out to Remy and then quickly disappeared upstairs, leaving behind a drunken Angel and confused Remy.

Remy was now staring at Warren whose exultant emotions were battering against his shields. "What have y' done to y'rself?" he asked drained, only just in time to catch Warren as he swayed dangerously on his feet, ready to dive face first into the carpet. "And you, Logan, come back here!" he called upstairs, never getting a reply.

"I'm going to be..."-hiccup- "sick," Warren whispered suddenly, his face taking on a greenish caste. Clinging to Remy, he looked up the stairs to where his room was. He was never going to make it up the staircase.

"Grande!" Remy growled. "I'm goin' to get y' for dis, Logan!" Trust Wolverine to leave an intoxicated Angel on his doorstep! And Bobby is waitin ' for me! But looking at Warren he realized the man needed to lie down quickly.

Sighing, he grabbed Warren's waist and pulled Angel's right hand over his shoulder to offer him the necessary support, as he was still too weak to carry Warren all the way. "Y' can do dis," he said encouragingly and started hauling Warren up the stairs.

Warren giggled suddenly and rested his head against Remy's shoulder. "I called him Wolvie," -hiccup- "and he hated it!"

"Why are y' drinkin'?" Remy asked as he kicked open the door to Warren's room. He knew the lure of using alcohol to drown sorrows, but after he had once woken up with a major hangover he'd been cured of that desire. Why had Logan done this? There was no doubt in Remy's mind that Wolverine had done this on purpose to Warren. He'd never seen Angel drink beer before and the alcohol must have hit him pretty heavily. "Lie down," he instructed and pushed Warren onto the bed.

"Wolvie wouldn't let me," -hiccup- "hug him!" Warren stated disappointed. "So I'll hug you instead!"

Remy tried to escape, he really did but Warren was determined and so he ended up clutched to Angel's chest in a possessive hug. //Mon Dieu! Don' let Bobby walk in on dis! Dere's no way I can possibly explain dis to him!// and he felt terrified that if it did happen, he would lose Bobby.

Feeling comfortably tipsy and too brave for his own good Warren grinned. "Wolvie was right!" -Hiccup-

"Ange..." Remy stuttered as Warren pulled him even closer. "Y're drunk!"

"Yes, and loving every minute of it!" Warren looked into those big eyes and managed to calm down a little. "I want to ask you..." -hiccup- "something."

"Mon Dieu... dis is embarrassin'," Remy whispered and tried one last time to free himself from the possessive embrace, but Angel tightened his grasp.

"How old are you? When is your birthday? Where were you born?" Warren asked in a sudden tender tone.

Remy remained quiet. "Dunno. My mot'er abandoned me," he admitted, his voice cracking. Why was Warren asking him these questions and how was he getting out of this embrace?

Warren locked eyes with him during a sober moment. "You never celebrate your birthday?"

"Kinda difficult if y' don' know when y' were born," Remy replied resigned. Warren was still holding on tight and his only concern was that Bobby found them this way.

Warren suddenly realized he was lying in his bed, tightly holding Remy and loosened his grasp a little but as Remy tried sliding off the bed, he stopped the Cajun. "Don't. I just want to talk and" -hiccup- "I don't think I will have the courage to do so when I'm sober again."

Remy realized it was probably the truth, but moved a little away from Warren. "Why y' wanna talk 'bout dis?"

"I realized I don't know a thing about you," Warren replied and stretched his body. Tucking his arms underneath his head he looked at Remy. "Birthday..." he mumbled. "Christmas eve."

Remy raised an eyebrow. "What are y' talkin' 'bout?"

"I just decided that your birthday is on December 24th, got a problem with that?"

Remy stifled a grin. "Y' always dis... irritatin'?"

"Ask Bobby," Warren quipped and shifted on the bed to better accommodate his wings. He did however notice that Remy's eyes were drawn to his feathers. "How did you do it?" Seeing Remy's perplexed expression he added, "Make them grow again."

"I didn' do dat!" Remy protested.

Warren decided not to get in to the matter, as Remy seemed reluctant to address it. "Do you think we can become friends?" he asked instead and took hold of Remy's left hand.

Remy's first reaction was to pull back, but as Warren placed his fingers on those soft feathers he couldn't resist and caressed them tenderly. "Dey're soft."

"Yes?" Warren encouraged him, seeing a sad expression in Remy's eyes.

"After Jean-Luc adopted me he used to take me to church every Sunday. He's Catholic and I loved watchin' de statues and stained glass windows. I always loved lookin' at dose angels."

Warren listened as closely as his foggy mind allowed him to. "Why?"

"Dey were so beautiful so... pure..." Remy stared at the ceiling. "I wanted to be like dem."

Warren turned on to his left side to observe Remy. "You wanted wings?" he asked in an effort to cheer up the Cajun. Pain had appeared in those red eyes and he wondered why.

"Non," Remy smiled in spite of the serious tone their conversation had taken. "I wanted to be like dem. Pure, innocent," he whispered and wished he had left the room the moment Warren had let go of him.

Warren nodded his head, remembering what Logan had told him. "I never knew you were religious."

Remy shrugged his shoulders. "I don' go to church any more. Dere isn' much point in doin' dat after I got de Morlocks killed."

"Remy," Warren sighed, drifting off in to sleep. The alcohol had finally made him give in.

Hearing Angel use that name surprised him. Warren had never before addressed him like that. His shields, still fragile from Jean's probing, dropped briefly and Remy trembled feeling Warren's sincere compassion. "Y're goin' to regret openin' up to me in de morning," Remy whispered and fought the single tear that was threatening to leave his eye. His hand still rested on soft feathers and he relished the feel of them. "Don' worry, Ange I won' tell anyone."

///

Bobby smiled turning away from the open door. He'd heard them stumble upstairs and had given Remy five minutes to drop off Warren. But those minutes had passed and still there had been no sign of the Cajun, so he'd stepped outside to see what had happened.

Amused, he'd watched Remy trying to struggle free from Warren's embrace and he'd almost giggled seeing the shocked expression in his lover's eyes. Bobby knew from first hand experience that Warren turned sentimental when drunk, but this scene had surprised even him.

Then he'd felt a sting of pain hearing Remy confess that he didn't know when his own birthday was and he loved Warren's suggestion, Christmas Eve sounded great.

As he returned to their room he headed for his computer, sat down and stared at the screen, counting the days left to Christmas. Exactly one week left! //What can I get him for his birthday?// Troubled, he listened to Remy closing the door and walking up to him.

"Cher?" Remy asked softly, hoping, no praying, that Bobby wouldn't ask him why it had taken him so long to get from the medlab to their room. He didn't want to embarrass Warren or himself by telling Bobby the truth and he wouldn't lie to his lover.

"Remy," Bobby said and turned about, noticing the hesitant eyes caressing his face. "You're a thief, know of any addresses where I can buy, legally buy, mind you, antique jewelry?" Bobby raised his hands, placed them on Remy's hips and pulled him down until the Cajun straddled him.

Remy never expected that move and his brain was trying to work out two things at the same time. //Why is he interested in antique jewelry and what am I doin' sittin' on his lap?// "Antique jewelry?" Remy asked. "What kinda jewelry?"

"Necklace, pendants, rings, stuff like that," Bobby replied and decided it was time for a distraction. He only wanted the answer to his question and not Remy pondering why he was asking it! Growing a little bolder he clasped his hands behind Remy's neck and pulled him close enough for a kiss. Remy's lips separated and he explored the softness inside, so alluring, so seductive. Ending the kiss, he panted slightly and smiled seeing Remy similarly breathless. "The jewelry," he reminded his lover.

"I'll write y' down some addresses," Remy promised, afloat on Bobby's desire which he couldn't shut out. "What are y'r plans?"

"Hank told me that my blood test was just fine." Bobby whispered and pushed his left hand underneath Remy's sweatshirt. His fingertips caressed the soft skin and he couldn't resist moving to one nipple and circling it. Amazed, he noticed Remy's pupils dilate and he drank in the moan that left his lover's lips.

"Cher?" Remy mewed sensually, completely overwhelmed by the passion he was reading in Bobby's mind.

"I never thought I'd ever say this to a man," Bobby started nervous as hell, "but I want to make love to you, Remy."

"Bobby," Remy whispered, for some reason touched by the choice of words. //To make love, no one ever said dat to me!//

Bobby read confusion in Remy's eyes, but wasn't sure what was causing it. Had he said it wrong? Was he going too fast? Was he supposed to let Remy make the first move? "I'm sorry, Remy, I'm new at this."

Remy placed a finger on Bobby's lips. "Don' apologize, cher. Y' didn' say anyt'ing wrong." Now that they had finally admitted the need he realized it wouldn't be as simple as he'd thought.

"Then what is it?" Bobby asked. He knew Remy was aroused, wanted this as much as he did! Damn, his lover's erection pressed against his stomach, so what was wrong? Burying one hand in Remy's hair he fingered a lock. "I'm nervous too, you know. I've never been with a man before,' he confessed, hoping it would take away some of their nervousness.

"Dat's it, isn' it?" Remy whispered and felt too ashamed to look in to those blue eyes he loved so much. "I have and..."

Bobby suddenly realized what was upsetting Remy. Snaking his arms up Remy's back he brought him in for another hug. As Remy rested his head on his shoulder Bobby listened to his lover's racing heartbeat.

"It won't be like *that*," Bobby said softly, trying to lure Remy into talking. "I love you and won't hurt you... you love me and won't hurt me. We can take this slow, even discuss the things that..."

"Cher," Remy whispered in to Bobby's shirt. "I don' wanna be..."

"What?" Bobby sighed. "Nervous?"

"Scared," Remy finally admitted. Bobby could never understand the things he had been through as a kid and he didn't want him to know the depths he had descended to in order to get food.

Bobby cradled the back of Remy's head in his left hand and smiled. "I'm scared too."

"You?" Remy exclaimed, searching Bobby's eyes.

"Yeah, where to put my arm, knee, to make sure I'm not poking you in the eyes!" he joked, pleased with the smile on Remy's face.

Slowly getting to his feet, Remy slid off his lap and took a step back.

"The bed is way more comfortable," Bobby informed him and tenderly curled his fingers around Remy's. Slowly, giving Remy a chance to say no, he pulled the Cajun over to his bed. //Am I trying to seduce *him*? I always assumed it would be the other way around, Remy being the more 'experienced' one and now he wants *me* to guide *him*? I'm not sure I can do this!//

"I trust y'," Remy whispered, following Bobby to the bed and lying down on his back.

Bobby joined him and gazed in to Remy's eyes. "Think I should lock the door?"

Remy was too busy trying to figure out what to do next and forgot to answer Bobby. "What do y' wanna do?" he asked apprehensively. Being raped as a kid, //Mon Dieu, I can finally admit it!// had left its mental scars.

Bobby thought hard about that question. //No, the question is what do *you* want? But you'll always consider my needs first//. "Do you ever fantasize?" he asked instead. Remy opened his arms and Bobby snuggled up to him while his left leg settled between his lover's thighs.

Remy smiled weakly. It was ridiculous that he was scared of making love to Bobby who would never hurt him. "Fantasies?" he repeated. "Why don' y' tell me y'rs?"

Bobby sarcastically complimented himself on asking that question now that it was backfiring on him. Licking his lips he whispered, "Last night I had a rather erotic dream."

"Oui?" Remy smiled and forced himself to calm down. He loved Bobby and trusted him. //Merde! I ain' a chile any more!// Swallowing hard, he started to unbutton Bobby's shirt.

Bobby stirred at the touch and returned that hesitant glance. He wished he could understand how hard this was on Remy. "You were taking a shower," he said and sucked in his breath as Remy's fingertips trailed down his belly. "And you were naked, of course."

"Of course," Remy murmured amused, slowly unzipping the jeans, watching Bobby the entire time to catch that first indication of unease. But Bobby sighed and his grin brightened.

"I opened the shower cabin door and water was dripping from that soft skin of yours."

"Soft?" Remy teased and eased down Bobby's jeans, trying hard to keep all the horrid memories in the depths of his mind. He didn't want to be reminded of what he'd done to survive. This was different. Both of them wanted, craved this... this was about love.

"Yes and then you pulled me inside," Bobby whispered in a dream like tone. "First I had to lecture you about getting my clothes wet and then..." Bobby looked up, hearing Remy's warm laughter. //Good, that got you away from brooding. I love you so much, but you angst over our first time even more than I do and honestly... I understand why. I'd never hurt you, Remy. How can I prove that to you? You might not say the words, but you're still scared.// Nimble fingers slipped inside his waistband and Bobby sighed blissfully. Right then and there he knew what to say. "I want you to take me, Remy."

"Y’ want what?" Remy stuttered, shocked, hoping he’d been briefly delusional. Bobby couldn’t be serious! Yes, he had fantasized about their first time, but it had always been Bobby doing the taking. He just couldn’t picture himself… taking Bobby.

Remy stared into Bobby’s warm blue eyes. In the past he’d always been taken, controlled by men he couldn’t fight. His kinetic powers had not yet manifested themselves and… "Cher, I can’…" He choked up, remembering the pain he’d gone through when he’d been forced to surrender to unwanted attention,

Bobby felt part of Remy’s fear. His lover’s mind was wide open and he had to say something to reassure the Cajun. "You won’t hurt me, Remy. I plan on showing you that making love is beautiful. You need to trust me on this, Remy. I want our first time to be… special." //If only I could convince you that there won’t be any pain. I can sense your fear, a hint of remembered physical pain as well and… panic... Remy!//

"But I ain’ good at…" Remy failed to finish the sentence. "Doin’ de deed," he added after a while. He couldn’t go through with this. "I don’ wanna hurt y’ cher and…"

A weak smile appeared on Bobby’s face. As he spoke, his voice was tender and caring, displaying understanding and patience. "I want to make mad, passionate love to you, Remy LeBeau."

Remy shook his head. "Bobby…" Panic started to build in his mind. He couldn’t believe Bobby was going to make him do this!

"Not now, dummy!" Bobby whispered softly and stroked back a lock of Remy’s hair. "What about Christmas Eve? //Would save me buying you a present. Instead I’ll just wrap myself up! Put a ribbon around my neck and…// His fingers continued to tangle in Remy’s soft hair and suddenly he forgot about telling Remy his fantasies. Remy’s hands were no longer exploring his body and it told him he had to stop this now. Remy had to set the pace, had to be the one in control.

Remy couldn’t stop himself and he shook with warm, genuine laughter, trying to imagine what Bobby would look like, gift-wrapped like that.

"I could even stick a note on my brow… Christmas pressie, please unwrap carefully!" Bobby caressed Remy’s face and watched in amazement as a tear made its way down Gambit’s face. "You like that idea!" Bobby continued, on a roll. "Want me to jump naked out of a birthday cake or something?" //Oops, that was supposed to remain a secret! I don’t want Remy to know he’s getting a birthday present!// But thankfully Remy didn’t seem to register that last remark and Bobby softly kissed Remy’s collarbone, trying to lure him into an even deeper state of relaxation.

Remy slowly calmed down and wiped tears of merriment from his face, thankful that his panic was gone. "What is it ‘bout y’ dat always makes me wanna laugh?" he asked in a semi serious tone. No matter how hard he tried he would never succeed in telling Bobby *how* much he loved him.

"Instincts and years of training!" Bobby quipped; relieved they had done away with that awkward moment. Those 7 days would give Remy the time he needed, Bobby hoped.

Relieved, Remy lazily kissed Bobby’s slightly bruised lips, engaging their tongues in a duel. "I haven’ felt dis warm for years," Remy admitted, warmth and heat tingled throughout his body and soul. The source of that incredible sensation was Bobby and he clung to it, determined to never again let it go after having searched for it his entire life.

Feeling tired all of sudden Remy stifled a yawn. His shields still needed more work and linking with Warren had taken so much out of him. He desperately wanted to sleep, holding Bobby close, drowning in that warmth but Bobby looked awfully energetic and awake.

"You’re tired, aren’t you?" Bobby whispered, seeing Remy’s eyelids droop every so often.

"Oui," Remy admitted and released Bobby, allowing his lover to get to his feet.

"Want some hot chocolate before turning in?"

"Oui. Y’re spoilin’ me."

"You need to be spoiled!" Bobby stated gently, placing a quick kiss on Remy’s brow before leaving the bed. "If you wanna change your clothes you can use mine. Looks like we’re almost the same size anyway."

"Merci," Remy replied and dragged himself away from the bed. As Bobby left the room he wondered if Warren was doing all right. What if he’d passed out or had turned sick after he’d left? His conscience told him he should check on him.

First he slipped out of his sweats and then he opened Bobby’s closet. //Closet… wonder how long he’d have continued to hide dere if I hadn’ returned from Antarctica//. And suddenly he realized how little he’d thought about Rogue, Magneto or the cold. //Didn’ have much time to t’ink ‘bout dem!//

Not really surprised, he discovered that Bobby apparently collected shirts with Spiderman, Firestar, and Avengers’ prints on them. In the end, he put on a ‘Spidey’ shirt and chuckled softly to himself, seeing his reflection in the mirror. If he still wanted to check on Warren he better hurry up or Bobby would be back before he’d even left the room.

Silently, he made his way through the corridor and growled passing Logan’s door. "I’ll get even wit' y’ for dis!" he promised solemnly, counting on Logan to hear him.

"Talk’s cheap, Gumbo!"

"Of course he has to be ‘wake," Remy muttered and moved on. As he reached Warren’s door, he opened it, peeking cautiously inside.

Warren had rolled himself into the blankets and was peacefully asleep, a huge grin on his face. Reassured, Remy about to close the door when he noticed Bobby standing behind him.

"Here," Bobby said offering Remy a mug filled with steaming hot chocolate. He’d returned to an empty room and curious he’d sought out his lover, almost certain he knew where to find Remy. "Warren will be fine. He always goes to sleep when he’s had too much to drink, not that it happens often, you know."

Remy gave him a puzzled look. Just how much did Bobby know? "What did y’ see?"

"Warren hugged me once too," Bobby admitted with a smile, closed the door and slung one arm around Remy’s waist. "Don’t worry about it."

"Y’ saw dat an’ didn’ help me?" Remy stated nervously.

"I had too much fun watching you struggle free!" Bobby admitted, realizing that he had to come clean on this one. They had reached his room and as Bobby closed the door he said, "You know, I think Christmas Eve is a great day to celebrate your birthday."

"Y’ heard dat too?" Remy sat down on the bed and clutched his head after placing the mug on the floor.

"Hey, I know the hug was Warren’s idea," Bobby said, intent on not giving into the fear on Remy’s face. Sitting down next to him he massaged Remy’s tense muscles with one hand. "Your chocolate is getting cold."

Remy picked it up again and looked at the steamy liquid. "Celebratin’ my birt’day on Christmas Eve is… ridiculous," he finished, trying hard to find a better word to express his sentiments. //Non, dat would be blasphemous!//

"Want another date?" Bobby asked and smiled warmly. "Need to set the alarm clock. Fearless leader announced a danger room session for 08.30. You’re lucky you don’t have to get up that early!"

"Bobby? Why do y’ need dose addresses? Y’ain' buyin’ me a present, you hear?" Remy didn’t know how to react.

"You’ll get presents anyway, it’s Christmas Eve," Bobby pointed out to Remy and finished his drink. Sliding further on to the bed he pushed back the covers. "Are you gonna join me?"

Remy sighed, realizing Bobby would do whatever he thought best and get him a birthday present just to prove a point.

"Did I tell you how handsome you look in that T-shirt? I love Spiderman!" Only after he’d spoken those words did he realize they could be taken the wrong way.

But Remy beat him to it. "Already cheating on ol’ Gambit?" he said playfully and crawled over to his lover. "Or are y’ plannin’ a t’reesome?" Remy smiled seeing the fierce blush on Bobby’s face. //Mon Dieu, it feels so good to laugh like dis!// Remy doubted very much the nightmares would torment him tonight. Feeling a little light headed, he folded his arms around Bobby and they snuggled up to each other. "I won’ feel cold tonight," Remy sighed blissfully.

Bobby was still trying to deal with that remark about having a threesome and kissed Remy’s lips to make sure his lover hadn’t taken things the wrong way. Remy responded at once and satisfied, Bobby closed his eyes, hoping for another erotic dream featuring Remy.

///

Warren woke with a groan as a terrible headache and a churning stomach made him run for the bathroom. Dropping to his knees he emptied his stomach and quickly flushed, eager to get rid of the appalling stench. //My God, what did I do last night?//

Slowly his memories returned and he remembered seeking out Logan and getting his kick in the butt. After that, the man had challenged him to have a beer and that had been the moment where things had gone wrong. He had a low tolerance for alcohol and he should have known better than to drink that much!

But it had been such a relief to be ‘normal’ again, just one of the guys drinking and talking nonsense, even if his drinking partner had been Wolverine. //I made such a fool of myself! I can’t believe this! Yesterday I was Death, working for Apocalypse and now I’m trying to bond with Wolverine! Sounds like I’m having a major identity crisis!//

After shedding his clothes he took a quick shower and started to feel better. That was until he saw his reflection in the mirror. The blue skin kept mocking him, reminding him of the role he had played in Apocalypse’s schemes and he shuddered at the memory.

Quickly pushing the memories deeper into his mind he concentrated on getting dressed. He didn’t want to accept or admit that Logan had been right, but //a cold-blooded killer is what I’ve become. Scott is right. I knew what I was getting myself in to by accepting Apocalypse’s terms.// Blood, at times he could smell blood on his hands, which were dripping with red, warm blood.

Appalled, Warren shook his head after banging his fist on the wall. //Control//, he told himself. //Look at Logan, look at his control and make it yours.// Warren did realize though that at some point he would have to talk about this, but not now, not yet… the wounds were still too fresh.

Quickly he put on some clean clothes and sat down on the side of the bed, trying to remember how he’d gotten back to his room in an attempt to distract himself.

"Remy," he whispered, remembering with unwanted clarity pulling the Cajun with him onto the bed and keeping him from leaving by hugging him. //Logan thought this out in detail and set me and Remy up!

Someone knocked on the door and demanded his attention. "Yes?" he said in a tense tone.

"It’s me, can I come inside?"

Recognizing Bobby’s voice it didn’t take him long to figure out who was with Drake. Groaning, he buried his face in his hands and said, "Enter." He was *not* looking forward to this. Bits and pieces of the things he’d said to Remy were turning up in his and he felt strangely shy when the two men entered.

Bobby was carrying a mug with strong coffee and handed it to Warren. "Here, you might need that."

"Thanks," Warren muttered and noticed the amused sparkle to Bobby’s eyes. Remy’s eyes however, looked dark and brooding. //They always look like that,// he suddenly realized and felt the need to know why. "I hope I didn’t do or say anything that offended you, Remy," Warren said at last, looking up apologetically.

Slowly, Remy shook his head. "Don’ worry ‘bout it, homme," and exchanged a look with Bobby before he addressed Warren again. "Cycke wanted y’ in de danger room to train wit' de team," Remy explained. "I told him dat wasn’ a good idea."

"Thanks," Warren repeated and struggled to his feet. Looking in to Remy’s eyes some of his unease disappeared. //He’s nervous as well, why?// Warren suddenly realized he no longer felt uncomfortable around the Cajun. //The moment I get the chance I’m going to take him aside and talk to him!// Warren still remembered everything Remy had told him about going to church, loving angels and… somehow that admission had touched his heart. Living on the streets, surviving the best he could, had taken a great toll on Remy and Warren was surprised to find that he wanted to make it up to the Cajun for his miserable childhood. Then he remembered Remy’s confession that he didn’t know when he’d been born. "What did I say? Christmas Eve?" referring to the birthday he had picked for Remy yesterday.

"Oui," Remy whispered in a soft tone, surprised Warren still remembered their conversation. "Merci for suggestin’ it, mais…"

Bobby cut him off, "I like the idea, Warren. I kinda adopted the date." The look Bobby gave Remy was meant to dare him to protest that declaration.

Warren smiled seeing Remy’s embarrassment and Bobby’s amusement. "Great, another present to buy," he remarked and made sure a smile accompanied that sentence. Until now he hadn’t realized just how sensitive Remy was taking everything in a negative way, like people were constantly talking down on him. //Which I was,// Warren admitted and realization began to dawn. //Is it possible that in reality he feels inferior and insecure and that his big mouth is just a mask to hide behind?//

"Wanna join us for breakfast? I already had some, but Remy slept in late and you look like you need food too," Bobby suggested, sensing the odd understanding between the three of them. Smiling, he saw the Warren he had always liked making a comeback.

"Don’t mention food," Warren cautioned, memories of spilling his guts in the bathroom returning. "By the way, has any of you seen Wolverine yet?"

"Wolvie?" Remy said, remembering Warren had called Logan that last night. He couldn’t let this pass by, smelling a chance for some sweet revenge. "Payback time, Ange?"

"Maybe," Warren nodded his head. "Are you willing to help?"

Remy and Bobby both nodded their head. "If you’ve got a good plan!"

///

Bobby took off with Storm’s car and Remy watched him leave the premises. Under protest he’d written down the addresses Bobby had been wining about and Drake had left, grinning wickedly.

Remy felt a little apprehensive about this. Had Bobby been serious about Christmas presents? If so, he was in trouble. He had 6 more days left, but couldn’t for the life of him think of a present for Bobby. The best wasn’t good enough for his lover.

"Remy?" Jean had walked up to him without Gambit noticing it and that slightly worried her.

"Chere?" Remy smiled warmly and turned around. "I still owe y’ a t’ank y’ for helpin’ me out after Ange’s attack." Bobby and Hank had filled him in on Jean’s part.

Jean’s thoughtful gaze rested on Remy’s eyes. "I don’t understand why the professor didn’t detect your empathy. It’s not like him to be this negligent," she said eventually.

"Maybe he had ot'er t’ings on his mind?" Remy shuddered, remembering Onslaught.

Jean caught that thought and realized she still needed to show Remy how to improve his shields. "Come with me, Remy. I need to show you a few things."

Remy wiggled an eyebrow at that comment.

"Concerning your empathy." Jean grinned. "No matter how attractive you are, Remy, I would never compete with Bobby… Scott might get jealous!" She joked lightly, wanting to see those eyes sparkle with life.

Remy nodded his head. "I knew dere was a reason I liked y’, chere."

"That’s nice to hear," Jean whispered and pulled him along into the corridor. "No one will disturb us in the Professor’s study."

"Chere, been meanin’ to ask y’ dis," Remy started nervously. "When y’… " Remy suddenly sighed, not knowing how to ask the question that had bothered him since the attack. " When y' opened my shields to let out Ange’s hate and de oder stuff… what did y’ see?"

Jean never even considered lying. "Everything, Remy." She trembled; remembering the pain so deeply locked away in his mind and although she had been able to release most of it, some had stayed behind, anchored in Remy’s soul. "I won’t tell anyone," she assured him, as shame flowed through him and she wish she knew of a way to take that shame away.

"Not even Cycke… Scott… and de professor?" He wasn’t sure how he felt about this, but at least her attitude towards him hadn’t changed. She didn’t seem horrified or disgusted.

Involuntarily she picked up on those thoughts. Remy’s shields were still fragile and revealing more than usual. "Remy, I know how you feel deep down inside your heart," she said as she closed the door behind her, needing the privacy of the room. She wanted to talk to him about this, help him, but, //the professor should be here to help him! I’m no psychologist!//

Remy found himself unable to deny her statement. She’d been in his mind, had seen his fears and shame. "Je regrette cela," he whispered, "I never wanted y’ to..."

"Remy, I can deal with it," Jean assured him. "But the question is, can *you* deal with it? We should have addressed this a long time ago," she sighed regretfully. "But your shields were too strong. I couldn’t get past them and the professor…"

"It’s okay, chere," Remy said emotionally. He was trying hard to keep a grip on his composure, but Jean was radiating so much compassion…

"No, it’s not okay," Jean corrected him strongly, her voice shaky with guilt. "You needed help and we choose not to see it."

"Chere," Remy called on all his calm and reached out to Jean carefully, scared that he might somehow hurt her.

Jean smiled sensing that tenderness. "You shouldn’t doubt yourself so much, my friend. We do care about you and yes, you’re more than worthy of our concern." A fragile expression appeared in Remy’s eyes and encouraged her to continue. "I know you’re hurting, Remy. The child you once were is hurting, crying to be acknowledged, to be cared for."

Remy suddenly turned away. Her words mirrored the truth, but… "How do I stop de hurtin’?" he asked, his voice muffled by suppressed emotion.

"I don’t have any answers for you, Remy." She walked up to him, cupped his chin in her hand and gently made him look at her. "But I think Bobby might have them. You’ve got to trust him."

"Oui," Remy whispered in disbelief. "Still can’ believe he loves me."

"You never experienced unconditional love, Remy." Jean nodded her head. "But Bobby’s love is…" and she left him to finish that sentence.

"Unconditional," Remy added and a smile broke through on his face.

"Being an empath caused most of the ‘surplus’ pain you’re now experiencing, but those same powers can also show you how it should be. Open your mind for Bobby, let him in."

Remy bit his lip in a nervous fashion. "Y’ t’hink I deserve his love?" he asked, trying to keep the doubt and bitterness out of his tone.

"Oh, Remy," Jean sighed, wondering why he was still trying to hide from her. She couldn’t help wrapping an arm around him. Remy was broadcasting his need to be comforted subconsciously and Jean couldn’t turn away again, not again. Never again. "Of course you do!" she stated, her tone leaving no room for Remy’s doubts, as she hugged him.

"Funny," Remy mused as he allowed her to hold him.

"What’s funny?" All of a sudden a bright sparkle was moving through his mind and she looked him in the eyes.

"Never been hugged dis much in my entire life! First Bobby, den Ange and now y’."

"Warren hugged you?" Jean quipped, amusement warring with amazement as she did her best to repair those last holes in Remy’s shield. "He’s brooding, you know, like you’re doing most of the time," she said and pointed at the window.

Remy walked over to it and looked outside. He spotted Warren sitting on a snow-covered bench, kicking the snow underneath his boots like trampling on… "Apocalypse," Remy whispered suddenly.

Jean took a deep breath and studied her friend carefully. There was something she’d wanted to ask him for a long time, but had been afraid to push for answers. Maybe the time was right now that they’d established a basic sense of trust. "Remy, are there times when you can also pick up thoughts?"

Remy’s breath hitched, he should have expected that question sooner or later. No longer looking at Warren he faced her shyly. "Sometimes I can’ tell t’oughts from feelings," he explained awkwardly. "Dey aren’ separated, just one."

"I think I understand," Jean replied, the professor had once told her that empaths usually also had some telepathic potential. "Can I tell the professor what we discovered?" she said, asking his permission.

"Sure, chere," Remy shrugged his shoulders. Charles Xavier was on Muir Island and probably not very interested in this discovery.

"Thank you, Remy," Jean said sincerely. "I will also ask the professor how to best develop your abilities."

Now that got Remy’s full attention. "Why?"

"Because if you don’t learn to control it, your ability will backfire on you, believe me," she stated, her tone speaking of personal experience. "We don’t even know how strong you are. You said that you’ve been hiding this for… how long? Repressing it is more like it. Please consider my offer?"

Remy was reluctant to even consider training his mental abilities. "Gimme a reason why."

"You might find a way to stop the hurting," she whispered compassionately.

"D’accord." Remy felt her resolve to make him comply. "Y’re a real friend," he said, his voice choked.

"I’m honoured to be your friend, Remy." Jean replied sincerely, knowing how much the term friend meant to Remy and how hard the tests were people had to pass before he’d even consider letting them in.

Remy took her right hand in his and placed a single kiss on the back. "Merci, chere."

"How many more times do I have to assure you that you’re welcome, Remy?"

Remy nodded his head. "I’m workin’ on it." Maybe one day he’d actually believe he was worthy of her friendship and Bobby’s love. "Please excuse me now, chere," Remy said in a shaky tone, "I t’ink Ange needs cheerin’ up."

As he left the room Jean quickly caught the tears she had managed to keep back. //We should have had this conversation before things went wrong, Remy. Then you might have trusted us enough to tell us about Sinister… The X-Men carry part of the blame…//

A wave of caring and understanding washed over her and she suddenly knew Remy had somehow read that thought in her mind and again she wondered how strong he was. Jean’s hand turned into a fist; they had to find out for Remy’s sake!

///

As the first beams of sunlight caressed his body, Bobby lazily opened his eyes and felt immensely thankful that it was Sunday. Scott had given them the day off, which meant no training sessions, no obligations and 5 more days to Christmas!

Christmas, he loved a white Christmas! It was time to get out the old plastic tree and decorate it! Maybe he could get Remy to help him… Remy… He was painfully aware of the warm body spooned into his. Remy was holding him in his sleep and was softly breathing down his neck, which caused goose flesh to appear all over his body. //Not to mention I woke up with one hell of an erection! And by the feel of it, I’m not the only one or it’s his Bo poking me!// They’d decided to wait until Christmas Eve before doing the deed, but he wondered whether a little stimulation might convince Remy to take him now. //Maybe if I drive him crazy, make him horny like hell he’ll forget his worries. It’s worth a try!//

Bobby managed to turn onto his back without waking his lover and studied the gentle rise and fall of Remy’s chest, which was regular and steady. //Remy hasn’t had a single nightmare these last two nights. That must be a good sign! I won’t ever forget those first nights when he screamed himself awake because of Antarctica. He actually scared me. What if he hadn’t pulled through? What if he had died in Antarctica? I would never have known how much I love him!//

Bobby enjoyed touching Remy’s skin and ran an exploratory hand over the smooth chest. //Well, maybe there is a God and I should thank him for letting Remy sleep in the nude!// At his gentle touch, Remy mumbled something unintelligible in his sleep. Stroking that long, hard body Bobby tried to remember what spot resulted in which reaction and as he brushed the area underneath Remy’s left ear, the Cajun whimpered. //Just stay asleep, Remy.// Slowly, he pulled down the blanket that Remy had wrapped around them before falling asleep and took in the rest of that agile body.

This was his first chance to study Remy’s body this thoroughly and he drank in every seductive aspect of it. The sight of his lover’s body utterly aroused him. He wanted Remy as he had never wanted anyone before. It physically hurt to look without touching him and his fingers brushed Remy’s flat abdomen in anticipation, half hoping Remy would wake up. His fingers trailed down to Remy’s groin and curiously he lightly touched his lover’s erect shaft. Finally, Remy reacted and moaned softly in his sleep. Bobby smiled and nodded to himself. This might work, if he could evoke enough lust to swamp Remy’s mind with… //Good thing he’s an empath! I might actually pull this one off!//

Slowly, to prevent Remy from waking up, he curled his fingers around Remy’s erection. He had never before been with a man and he’d promised Remy their first time would be special and he intended to keep that promise! //But why do I have to be the one with no experience? Hey, hold on, why am I getting upset about that? We’re both guys. I know what he likes!//

A soft, seemingly pleading moan escaped Remy’s lips and amused, Bobby noticed the Cajun was changing position to get closer to his hand. //Yeah, I can do this! Just relax, Bobby. If what he told me about his empathic powers is true I can get him in the right mood by being aroused myself and by the looks of it… I’m horny!//

Bobby’s hand trembled as he hesitantly squeezed Remy’s shaft, deeply inhaling his lover’s scent, burning into his memory. //This is something Logan would do//, suddenly flashed through him. //Well, maybe it’s time to explore my feral side… if I have one!// Bobby couldn’t help giggling at that thought. Another soft moan drew his attention. Remy arched up against his hand, as if urging him to continue and Bobby stroked a little harder, watching him carefully.

Still asleep, Remy moistened his lips and that simple gesture took Bobby’s breath away. Even in sleep the Cajun possessed an uncanny sensuality and he realized that he wanted to be the one to make Remy come and come hard. Sliding down the bed Bobby gently pushed Remy’s knees apart and seated himself between his thighs. His fingers caressed the insides of those long thighs and his mouth started to water.

Remy’s body was perfect. Smooth hairless chest, washboard abdomen and… //that’s 8 inches at least!// well endowed. As his eyes traveled over Remy’s body, they encountered two pink nipples, which screamed for his touch. They had hardened invitingly and Bobby leaned forward to lap at one of them, kissing and suckling it. Remy’s body twitched and Bobby turned his attention to the other neglected one. Rolling the shrivelled flesh between his fingers he licked his lips and then circled it with his tongue. Eager to explore other areas as well, Bobby slowly nuzzled Remy’s body, taking his time. After softly kissing Remy’s belly button, he twisted his tongue deeper inside and finally satisfied moved down to return to his lover’s thighs.

Grinning, he couldn’t help himself and said, "Hello there," directing the comment at the pink tip of his lover’s erection, which was now starting to drip with pre-ejaculate. "What did Remy name you?" and he tried to remember all the French names he’d ever heard in his life. "Claude? Louis?" This was actually fun and he blew softly over the sensitive head.

"Who are y’ talkin’ to?" Remy mumbled, still in a state between sleep and waking up, slowly becoming aware that he was feeling great and also extremely aroused. His erection throbbed and he suspected Bobby had something to do with it.

"Go back to sleep, Remy," Bobby murmured, not allowing his lover to distract him from rubbing his thumb across the tip of his Remy’s slick shaft.

"Cher," Remy started, "what are y’ doin’?" Hadn’t they agreed to wait a little longer before getting intimate? But Bobby’s mind told him differently. Remy tasted a fierce mix of curiosity, passion and lust! //Merde, Bobby wants to tango!//

"Developing a healthy sex-drive. Now stop talking and go back to sleep! You’re distracting me!" Bobby peeked at Remy’s closed eyes. The Cajun’s breathing had quickened and his fingers were burying themselves in the sheets. "And don’t tell me you want me to stop, because we both know that would be a lie!" He wasn’t bluffing, as he sensed Remy’s arousal seep into his mind. "Now, back to business," Bobby said, addressing Remy’s erection again. "You were going to tell me your name," and slowly, teasingly he licked it in an upwards motion, like devouring a cone filled with ice cream and found he loved making Remy squirm. "You’re not going to tell me?" he said rather disappointed and carefully brushed the tip of his finger over Remy’s shaft. But he wanted Remy to gasp and wrenched his lover’s fingers free from the blanket and slowly, one by one, sucked his fingertips. //Geeze, I had no idea I wanted to do this to him…//

Remy struggled for breath at the simultaneous stimulation. A firm hand was stroking in a slow rhythm and a hot warm mouth was sucking his fingertips. The sensations set off tiny explosions in his brain and then Bobby’s voice pulled him back from the edge. //Mon Dieu, I’m ‘bout to come!//

"What about Francois? No? Napoleon?"

"Bobby…" Remy whimpered, his voice strained and he arched up as soft, wet lips returned to tease his throbbing erection, sucking it greedily. He wanted to come so badly, craving release and was not too proud to beg for it. "Bobby, please!"

"Bobby? No, that can’t be your name! That’s mine!" Bobby teased and wrapped his fingers around the base so his tongue could lavish the head. Heat was slipping into his mind and he knew it was Remy, who had opened his mind for him. "Ialwayswantedtodothis," he mumbled while trying to take in more of his lover.

Remy bit his lower lip until it bled in a moment of unguarded desire. His hands now tangled in Bobby’s hair, trying to pull his lover closer to kiss his lips. Soft mews and moans floated through the room.

But Bobby had other ideas and slid his tongue up and down, gently scraping his teeth along Remy’s shaft, loving the sight of those red eyes, suddenly opening in complete abandon. The look in those eyes almost made him come right there and then for they reflected all the trust they had established during these last days, trust and love… His right hand squeezed Remy’s buttocks and he relished the feel of his lover trembling under his caresses. //I am doing this to him! The insecure prankster Bobby Drake is making Remy squirm and beg for more!// Then he moved his other hand and cupped Remy’s scrotum in his palm. Softly stroking the velvet like skin he watched Remy’s reactions before taking it between his lips, nibbling on it.

//Mon Dieu, I can’ take much more of dis… Where did he learn how to do dat?// Remy had started to pant for breath and Bobby’s actions grew even bolder. Hands were caressing his most private parts and then there was this hot, willing, no greedy mouth wrapped around him. A tongue, teasingly touching the sensitive head, made his erection throb in painful waves and then… Bobby’s teeth tenderly scrapped his flesh. Remy couldn’t help thrusting in to his lover’s mouth, wanting more, needing him so badly. "Mon Dieu," he panted and threw back his head.

//So far he seems to like it,// Bobby thought pleased, still worried he was doing something wrong. Tasting Remy he tried to analyse the flavor and texture, but then waved it away. //Sweet, he tastes sweet,// he concluded in deep contentment and concentrated on pleasing his lover.

Remy knew he was going to come any moment now and wanted to warn Bobby, telling him to stop before… His hands moved to tenderly pull Bobby close to him and as he stared into those dilated pupils, he realized Bobby had been fantasizing about this all along.

"I know," Bobby whispered as he briefly released Remy’s erection, feeling Remy’s concern and placed one quick kiss on already bruised lips before moving back down to take in as much of his lover as he could.

"Cher…" Remy had never felt like this before. His body was aflame, legs twitching, hips bucking and his mind was imploding with passion. Liquid lava was pushing through his veins and he wanted Bobby to share this pleasure with him so he slowly, sensually, poured the sensation into his lover’s mind, completely surrendering to Bobby’s ministrations.

Passion suddenly sliced through him and Bobby grabbed Remy’s hips for support, also making sure his lover couldn’t thrust too deeply. "Youredistractingme," he managed to mumble and quivered. Thanks to Remy broadcasting his arousal it felt like he was going to come as well. He was hard and his erection ached for release, but he pushed the need away… concentrating on his lover’s needs. //You’ll probably take me with you when you find release…wonder if I’ll experience your orgasm too...// and quivered at that prospect.

Remy couldn’t hold back any longer and as he came, he catapulted his ecstasy into Bobby’s mind, unable to stop the urge to share his pleasure with his lover. The sensation left them both breathless.

Bobby rocked back on the bed, letting go of Remy’s shaft and leaned back, overwhelmed by the intensity of the orgasm he was experiencing. He didn’t even realize that he’d come himself.

"Mon Dieu," Remy whispered as waves of ecstasy swept through his mind and body. Bobby had completely taken him by surprise. Focusing his eyes he purred, "Merci, cher."

"You’re welcome," Bobby panted. White cream was dripping down Remy’s thighs. "That was like… wow!" he whistled and shook his head.

"You like, cher?" Remy whispered and pulled him on top of his now cooling body, craving Bobby’s warmth.

"Very much. I always wanted to do that, but… guess I felt a little insecure about whether I could pull if off or not."

"Y’ succeeded brilliantly," Remy complimented him and sought out Bobby’s lips. Completely relaxed he kissed his lover, deepening the kiss and engaging Bobby’s tongue in a duel.

It was then that Bobby noticed something was still poking him in the abdomen. "You’re still hard!" he moaned in disbelief and licked the sweat from Remy’s throat, biting him teasingly. "Think you can come again?"

"Bobby?" The question made Remy wiggle an eyebrow, his lover couldn’t be suggesting…. that! Remy didn’t want to read Bobby’s mind, but… he was already inside, had been the entire time and Bobby hid nothing from him, giving him complete access to his mind.

"I want you, Remy. I need you!" Bobby moaned, ignoring their promise to wait until Christmas Eve. Passion had taken over and he hoped Remy wouldn’t deny him. //C’mon, you’re an empath; you must know how much I love you!// Bobby grabbed Remy in a hug, before rolling him on top of his trembling body. In a silent invitation he nudged his knees apart, telling Remy what he wanted without the use of words or thoughts.

Remy suddenly found himself lying between Bobby’s thighs and //Mon Dieu, it’s right where I wanna be!// Desire sliced his mind, part his, part Bobby’s, but he no longer cared. In mind they were already one… Keeping his mind wide open to receive Bobby’s thoughts and feelings, his lips slowly trailed down Bobby’s soft skin, pausing to kiss his collarbone and suckle the sensitive skin there.

Bobby quivered and grabbed Remy’s head between his hands, forcing him to return to kissing his lips. "I want you, Remy," he breathed heavily as his lover’s fingers teased against nipples, slowly rolling them between his fingertips and then pinching them.

It was way too late to say no, Remy realized. Bobby had lit this fire and it had to burn them both before it would extinguish. "I want y’ too," Remy whispered passionately.

"Then take me and stop talking!" Bobby demanded and rested one hand on Remy’s hipbone. "You have no idea how long I’ve waited for this!"

"I do know, cher," Remy said, reading the answer in Bobby’s mind, which had somehow wrapped itself around his, still drawing him nearer with insatiable lust. "Mais…"

Bobby grinned, receiving the thought that ended Remy’s sentence. Wildly grabbing at the nightstand he opened the drawer and flung a tube at Remy. "Originally I wanted to wrap it up as a Christmas present," he said and giggled. No way they were going to wait until Christmas Eve! His body was screaming for Remy’s touch, and as his lover opened the tube, Bobby reached up and licked the sensitive skin underneath Remy’s left ear.

Remy stared at the tube in his hand, briefly regaining his senses. "Bobby?"

"Stop Bobbying me!" he exclaimed and raised his legs until his feet rested against Remy’s chest. "I want you now, damnit. I want you to take me!"

The certainty behind that demand and the mad passion that accompanied it, convinced Remy and he rubbed the lube on his still throbbing erection. Bobby’s need was pulling him closer and he slowly pushed inside, moaning at his lover’s tightness and touch. Then he was inside and the heat, warmth and the incredible tightness almost made him come again. Remy managed to retain his control and looked down at Bobby. Words had fled his brain and instead he directed his love and his passion at Bobby, engulfing his lover in those emotions.

"Remy," Bobby moaned and pushed down to take in more of him, wanting to devour him. He’d never known there was this wild side to him, but he didn’t have the time to ponder that discovery. All he wanted was for Remy to start moving, thrusting deeply and taking him to heaven. "Remy, please," he moaned his need, grabbed Remy’s buttocks and pulled him closer. A sigh of ecstasy left his lips as his lover slid even deeper into him, and while looking Remy in the eyes he said, "I love you." In response, Remy dove to his mouth, claiming his lips and then mumbled something incoherent in French. Bobby moaned helplessly.

Remy used his hands to support Bobby’s legs, trying to take the strain off them and pushed a pillow underneath his lover’s hips. As he adjusted the angle of his thrusts, Bobby screamed his rapture.

Fire was consuming both lovers and with every thrust the heat increased. With every kiss Bobby moaned harder and Remy’s panting became more frantic, sweat covering his brow.

Entranced, Bobby screamed, "Harder, Remy, faster!" And he pushed back to meet each thrust with one of his own.

"Cher," Remy moaned in a desperate desire to give Bobby what he needed. Increasing the pace and speed, they lost themselves in the motion and finally Remy lost himself in Bobby’s mind.

Together, they rode the wave of lust until fire finally erupted. Remy bruised Bobby’s lips in one breath-taking kiss. Coming hard for a second time he realized Bobby had climaxed with him and all they could do was stare in to each other’s eyes as ecstasy coursed through them.

"What the hell was that?" Bobby stuttered a few minutes later, hugging Remy close to him, unwilling to break this intimate connection. Clinging to his lover Bobby realized Remy was shaking in his arms. Bobby stroked his back, mumbling soft declarations of love.

And Remy let him. Exhausted he collapsed on his lover’s warm body and rested his head on Bobby’s chest. /Mon Dieu, oui, what was dat?//

"Good to know you’re equally baffled," Bobby whispered, composing himself. Cocking his head he looked into Remy’s eyes and only then realized what had just happened. "Remy! Your thoughts! You’re in my mind!" //That can only mean you’re a telepath as well!//

Tired, but utterly satiated, Remy raised his head to look into Bobby’s eyes. "Cher, I wanted to tell y’, but…" Remy felt scared Bobby would be upset with him for not confiding in him earlier.

But Bobby smiled reassuringly. "It’s okay, Remy. Guess, our love life will be very exhausting!" A soft wail of pain left Bobby’s lips as his left leg cramped up from the uncomfortable position it had been in and he started to massage the tense muscles, watching Remy who had rolled onto his side.

"I t’ink I need a smoke," Remy remarked and watched Bobby closely, as if waiting for a particular reaction. He got one.

"Hey… I haven’t seen you smoke since…" Bobby smiled fondly. "Don’t think about taking up that disgusting habit ever again!" //Don’t want you dying of lung cancer//, he thought protectively. "Remy, that was incredible," he complimented his lover and allowed Remy to massage the tense muscles instead, enjoying his lover’s touch. Those agile fingers moved up his thigh, driving out the cramp. "I can’t begin to describe the sensations! It was like… constantly switching places and it felt like I was the one taking you!"

Remy nodded his head. There had been moments when he had felt Bobby’s weight on top of him and his lover had been thrusting in and pulling out in a wild rhythm. He couldn’t look Bobby in the eyes, wondering whether this had been his doing, his manipulation. Had it only been lust? Lust, which he had poured in to Bobby’s mind without his lover being aroused? Had he forced Bobby to comply?

"Don’t even you even dare think that!" Bobby exclaimed upset. He still wasn’t used to hearing Remy’s thoughts in his head, but it was certainly enlightening. "We both wanted this and I made the first move, seducing you! Remy, Do you have any idea how much I wanted… still want you?" Bobby took a deep breath and buried his fingers in Remy’s hair, pulling him close until their lips touched, "I love you. We both wanted this… and what happened was beyond my wildest dreams!" It was the truth and he concentrated on the pleasure he’d experienced, knowing how insecure Remy was. "You can read my mind whenever you need to, Remy."

Remy listened, uncertain what to say, or to think for that matter so he let Bobby do the talking.

"My God, Remy, if I had known it would be like this I would never have suggested waiting until Christmas. Fuck Christmas Eve! I want to make love to you every day of my life."

Remy’s eyes watered as Bobby’s determination slid past every defence he’d ever build to keep himself from getting hurt. "Oui, d’accord, y’re right," he admitted. "We both wanted dis."

"Good," Bobby said pleased and looked down his body. They’d made quite a mess. "Shower?" he suggested.

"Sure," Remy replied in a soft tone and slid off the bed. "Don’ forget de lube," he quipped before disappearing in to the bathroom. "And de name is Renard."

It took Bobby a moment to register those remarks. //He wants to make love again?// He vividly remembered that insatiable desire, the need he had felt while their minds had been one, finding release. //Renard? He named it Renard? Sounds French, I wonder what it means.// Unable to resist temptation he hurried over to the computer, accessed the translation site he sometimes used and typed in the word Renard.

#Fox.#

"Fox?" Picking up the tube he grinned from ear to ear. This was going to be one interesting Sunday!

///

"Scott? It’s almost lunch time," Jean purred in to his ear. "I’m hungry."

"Leave me alone, woman!" Scott grunted and buried his face underneath the pillows. "I can’t even lift my little finger right now!"

"Oh, come on, Scotty, we only did it three times!" Jean quipped amused. "Once in the bathroom, once in bed and… once using the professor’s desk."

"You’re insatiable! What did I do? I only wanted to get some sleep!" Scott mumbled from underneath the pillow, trying hard to keep the merriment from his voice … and thoughts. Once Jean picked up on it, he was a dead man! He couldn’t do it again!

Jean decided to be merciful. "But Scott, it wasn’t something you did… It was something Remy did."

Peeking from underneath the pillow Scott asked, "What are you saying?"

"Didn’t you feel them?" Jean said amused and flipped locks of hair away from her face. "Remy and Bobby?" she explained and licked her lips.

"Jean! You can’t be serious! I thought Remy knew how to use his shields!" Scott moaned. "Does that mean you felt what they did? Oh, that’s just great! Every time they’re having… sex, you’re going to jump me?" But his tone revealed no irritation and his eyes trailed down Jean’s naked body. He hoped Remy would need a long time to optimise those shields. He had definitely loved Jean going down on him!

"Those are naughty thoughts," Jean quipped, grinned and leaned in for a kiss.

"Don’t tell me you mind me having wicked thoughts!" Scott returned the kiss and pulled her on top of his body until she straddled his hips. "What about the others? Think they… felt them doing the horizontal mambo?" Suddenly he grinned broadly. "Will have to ask Remy to show a little more restraint then!"

"Don’t you dare do that!" Jean admonished him. "They are so good for each other! When the professor returns Remy will learn how to shield his thoughts and emotions and until then…"

Scott groaned as her lips trailed down his chest. "Why don’t we go and get some lunch?" he suggested as his stomach growled hungrily.

Jean nodded her head, a little disappointed. "I’m just going to take a shower first."

Scott stretched on the bed as Jean disappeared in to the bathroom and wondered if the others had received Remy’s ‘enthusiasm’ as well. Grinning, he decided he had to talk to the Cajun.

///

Logan stared at his mug filled with strong coffee. Something… unsettling, although pleasant, had happened and he knew who to blame for it. "Kids," he muttered in to his mug and took a long sip. Looking back he was glad he hadn’t stormed into Drake’s bedroom after that icy shower. The kids would discover what he had been up to soon enough. Christmas Eve, he decided.

"Logan?" Storm walked inside, hungry and craving some tea. Her dreams had been filled with sensual longing and she had found herself staring into the night. "You look tired, my friend."

"Didn’t get that much sleep last night," Logan mumbled and then looked up. "Ya look tired as well."

"I…" Storm hesitated. "I couldn’t sleep last night."

"Kids kept ya ‘wake too?"

"Kids?" Storm sat down and started eating a sandwich.

"Yeah, Gumbo and Drake were at it for hours!" Logan complained. "I told Drake to keep the noise down and…"

Storm grinned. "Remy still has no control over his empathic powers then?"

Logan shook his head. "Well, at least they had some good sex!"

Trying to look embarrassed, but not pulling it off, Storm reached for her tea. "You could have expressed yourself in a… more subtle way."

Not reacting to that comment Logan threw a glance at the doorway.

"Are you waiting for someone in particular?"

"Yeah, our playboy."

Storm leaned back, still trying to get the mental picture out of her head of Remy and Bobby actually doing the deed. Trembling, she concentrated on her friend’s remark. "Warren? Why?"

"I heard him pace most of the night. It’s this Death thing."

"He will come to you when he’s ready," Storm said with assurance, following Logan’s gaze when she heard giggling.

Jean and Scott walked in to the room. Grinning, Jean sat down and devoured the scrambled eggs Scott had handed her.

Logan raised an eyebrow, hardly allowing himself to admit why Jean might look this… sensual. "Ya received Cajun’s broadcastin’ too?" he inquired and grinned as Scott flushed a crimson red. Cycke was hard to embarrass but this time Scott’s blush refused to go away.

"I already asked Jean to help Remy strengthen his shields," Scott announced and sat down, staring at the food.

"I still think it’s a pity," Jean commented, "We can use a little stimulation after what we’ve been through recently."

"But not that kind of stimulation!" Warren whispered and shot Logan a probing look.

"Sit down, Worthington," Logan grumbled. "At least Drake didn’t freeze the water in your bathroom!"

"He did that?" Warren smiled weakly and remembered Logan pushing him in to Remy’s arms. After thinking things over he had a hard time staying mad at Logan. After all he’d learned a lot about Remy because of that stunt.

"So who’s goin’ to tell our Cajun friend that he broadcast his… ecstasy all over the house?" Logan groaned, seeing Jubilee strolling into the room, blush on her face and a wicked expression in her eyes. "Ya didn’t do anythin’ stupid, did ya, kid?"

"Nope," Jubilee replied, but sighed sitting down. "Just had the best dream ever!"

"You too?" Hank commented and leaned against the wall. "This might be entertaining if it didn’t cause certain problems…"

Scott nodded his head and looked at the X-Men. He’d been fortunate enough to have Jean who had stimulated him in order to get it out of his system, even unnoticed, but the others… Concerned, Scott studied Warren who looked pale and drawn. Maybe he should talk to the man, but… Wolverine would be a much better choice!

Soft screams emanating from the corridor caught their attention. "Kids need to be disciplined!"

"Stop it, Logan!" Jean smiled tenderly. "Remy hasn’t been this happy in years and Bobby… just let them have some fun. I will help him adjust his shields."

Logan remained quiet, eyes fixed on Warren, determined to talk to Worthington the moment the man left the room.

"Remy! Stop dawdling! I’m hungry!"

The X-Men grinned; realizing the source of their ‘problem’ was approaching and looked towards Scott to inform the couple of what had happened.

///

Remy felt uneasy. Apprehensively, he followed Bobby down the corridor. Something felt wrong. Something bad was going to happen any moment now. The hours he had spent in heaven had to end. His luck couldn’t last. Bobby’s love… he would lose it somehow.

"Stop brooding," Bobby whispered, folding an arm around his lover and pondering an answer to Remy’s troubled thoughts. It was obvious to him now that Remy could read his thoughts if the Cajun concentrated, but Remy seemed uncomfortable using the link that existed between them, so he reverted to speech. He’d learned so much about Remy since the link had appeared and it saddened him to learn just how insecure and vulnerable his lover was. "Nothing will keep me away from you, Remy. I love you," Bobby repeated, sad that Remy still hadn’t registered that truth yet. For some reason Remy still expected this relationship to end any moment. "I know you can’t believe I love you," he whispered. "But eventually you will." Bobby shivered as Remy’s hand came to rest on his shoulder. Remy’s uncertainty was understandable; after all he had never experienced unconditional love. "Just give it time," Bobby advised.

Tired, Remy whispered, "Cher, I love you too, it’s just… I can’ believe I can be dis lucky."

Bobby smiled and pulled Remy into the dining room. He was hungry and it was lunchtime. Only paying attention to his lover’s eyes he pinned Remy to the wall and started kissing that delicious mouth.

Remy was about to deepen the kiss when he sensed that they weren’t alone in the room. Completely terrified he stared in to the eyes of the X-Men who were grinning at him. He tried to speak, to warn Bobby, but his lips were being ravished so he had no other choice than to use the link. //Bobby, turn ‘round, cher!//

As if bitten by a snake, Bobby turned around and… "Shit!" The dirty grin on Logan’s face caused his skin to turn to goose flesh.

Remy wished the floor would open and swallow him. Why were they staring at him like… that?

"Uhm," Scott started and looked at Jean for help. Jean however, smiled and made a grand show of licking her spoon. Scott swallowed hard and shifted his glance to Logan… no help there… Warren, seemed confused and… shy?

Bobby immediately registered Remy rising panic and wondered what had caused it. //Hey, it’s okay, Remy. They’ve seen people kissing before!// and pulled the Cajun closer.

//Mais…// Remy objected weakly. Looking at Jean he felt relieved to see her sparkling smile.

//No buts,// Bobby countered and a smirk surfaced on his face.

"Remy… I need to talk to you," Scott started uneasily. Jean poked him in the ribs, telling him telepathically to handle this matter tactfully. Sighing, he dismissed any thoughts he’d had about pestering Gambit with this development. "I suggest you ask Jean to help you put up stronger shields, Remy."

"Why?" Bobby asked, certain he was missing something.

"Cause ya’re broadcastin’ all over the place!" Logan snapped, content to get his revenge this way. "We all had fuckin’ erotic dreams ‘cause of ya two!"

"Logan!" Jean yelped and shook her head.

"Y’… what?" Remy stuttered helplessly, refusing to look at anyone and quickly closing his eyes. This couldn’t be happening! He should never have listened to Jean’s suggestion to try and use his mental abilities! Now he had unwillingly invaded everyone’s privacy by sending… //Mon Dieu… what have I done?//

Bobby’s smirk vanished briefly only to make another stunning comeback. "Hope you enjoyed yourself then, Wolvie!"

Soothingly rubbing Remy’s back, Bobby relished the fierce blush on the Cajun’s face. //That’s the first time ever you blushed, Remy,// he sent and smiled. //You didn’t do it on purpose and they know it. Everything will be okay.// "Hope you all liked your Christmas pressie, even if it was a bit early," he quipped amused.

Jean silently complimented Bobby on that comment. "That’s right, Bobby. No need to feel ashamed and I certainly enjoyed that present!"

Remy peeked at them from underneath the locks which had fallen in front of his face. He could tell they weren’t angry with him, even Logan wasn’t upset. Warren’s feelings, however were focusing on a completely different subject; Death. "Y’ll help m’ get dis under control?" Remy asked, addressing Jean pleadingly.

Jean nodded her head and got to her feet. "Come on, I’ll show you how to properly use your shields." Smiling at Bobby she added, "Don’t mind if I burrow your lover for a moment?"

//Lover! Yes, we’re lovers, aren’t we, Remy?//

Remy wondered about the ease with which Bobby had settled in to using the link between them. //Oui, cher, lovers.//

Jean pulled him towards the professor’s study and with he a sigh he addressed Bobby again, //Love y’, cher.//

///

Sitting on his bed Logan pondered his next step. Warren’s room, which was next to his, echoed with his pacing. Warren was having another sleepless night and Warren wouldn’t come to him to talk. Maybe Worthington didn’t want to show his pain and weakness openly, maybe…Logan got up and walked over to the door. If Warren wasn’t going to come to him, he would have to seek out Worthington. He dreaded what might happen if Warren rejected his help. What if Warren had developed suicidal tendencies? They had almost lost Remy because they’d abandoned him. He couldn’t allow the same thing to happen a second time!

As he opened the door, Logan noticed that he wasn’t the only one in the corridor. Dressed in one of Bobby’s shirts, Remy stood a few steps away of him, red eyes drawn to Warren’s door. //Course, bein’ an empath means he’s drawn to Worthington’s pain,// Logan thought and noticed the distant look in the Cajun’s eyes. //No way in hell I’m gonna let him deal with Warren! Kid’s still tryin’ to handle his own pain!//

"Go back to bed, kid," Logan said softly, trying not to startle Remy out of the trance like state he was in. "Ya look cold and Drake will miss ya," he added, relieved to see life return to Remy’s eyes. The Cajun was shivering all over his body.

//It’s Ange,// Remy cast, uncertainly, barely avoiding the raw feelings nagging at him.

Logan nodded his head, remembering Remy had told them he was a telepath as well. It must have taken a lot of convincing on Jean’s part to make Remy admit that to himself and them. "I’ll take care of Worthington. Ya’re goin’ back to bed now," he said, firmly placing a hand on Remy’s shoulder to fully bring him back to reality.

"Didn’ know y’ felt dis…" Remy searched for the right word to describe the feeling he was receiving. "Protective of me." Blinking his eyes he looked at Logan’s. "Maybe I can help Ange…"

I’ll call ya if I can’t handle it," Logan stated resolved, knowing how desperately Remy wanted to help. "Drake?" he called out and registered Remy’s surprised yelp. Hearing the muffled reply coming from inside the room he addressed Remy again. "Get some sleep, kid, you need it."

Remy didn’t reply, still tasting Logan’s concern… //For me! He’s concerned ‘bout me!//

Logan caught an echo of that thought and guessed that Jean still hadn’t yet succeeded in teaching Remy how to properly shield his thoughts. At first Logan wanted to wave the thought away, but then he sensed Remy’s true amazement. "Of course I’m concerned about y’, kid. Haven’t ya figured out by now that I like ya?"

"It doesn’t quite register in his heart yet," Bobby explained in a soft melancholy voice as he appeared behind his lover. After wrapping his arms around Remy who looked like a sleepwalker at this point, he pulled his lover back inside their room and led him to the bed, making sure he lay down.

Logan closed the door and Bobby sighed seeing the look in Remy’s eyes. "Let someone else comfort Warren, Remy. You’ve been tossing and turning for some time now." Bobby spooned his body against Remy’s and tucked them in. "Try and sleep," he advised and wondered whether it was Warren’s angst that was keeping Remy awake.

Remy closed his eyes, soothed by Bobby’s closeness, but Warren’s pain kept battering against his shields. Yes, he could shut it out, but that felt like turning his back on Angel and he didn’t want to do that.

"Logan will deal with Warren," Bobby reminded Remy, relaxation slowly drifting into his lover’s mind. //Want to know about my latest fantasy?// Bobby asked, using the link.

//Oui,// Remy replied and snuggled back into Bobby. To his surprise he’d found that he loved listening to Bobby’s voice in his head, filling him with love and passion. Smiling, he allowed Bobby’s thoughts to wash through him and finally he was lured in to sleep.

///

Logan didn’t knock before entering Warren’s room; knowing Angel wouldn’t let him in if he did. He sucked in his breath seeing Worthington, hunched down in a corner, beating his fists against the floor. Mentally reviewing his possibilities he decided to give Warren a chance to start the conversation. Walking over to the messy bed he sat down, back against the wall, pulled up his knees and rested his hands on them. "Wanna talk?"

"No," Warren hissed, not raising his head, still staring at the floor. "And I can’t remember telling you to come inside."

"Ya didn’t. " Logan took a deep breath, mentally preparing himself for what was to come. "I wouldn’t have listened to ya anyway. Ya need to talk this out, Worthington."

"Talk about what?" Warren raised his burning eyes, glaring at Logan in obvious distress.

"Death," Logan replied calmly. "Ya can’t hide from yar past."

"I guess you’re speaking from personal experience?"

Warren’s tone carried arrogance but Logan knew what Angel was doing, trying to get him out of the room. "Yeah, that’s why I know how ya feel right now."

Warren laughed embittered. "I feel like begging Apocalypse to change me back in to Death!"

"Yeah," Logan grunted. "’Cause then the pain will go away. You didn’t feel anythin’ ‘cept rage when ya were a Horsemen." It was a guess, but an educated one.

"I didn’t feel anything, except for this need to carry out Apocalypse’s commands." Warren stroked back his hair and pushed himself to his feet, using the wall for support. He hadn’t slept these last two nights and his guilt was driving him insane. He’d hoped Logan would show up… or Remy… to talk to him. They understood what he was going through.

"That’s the easy way out and ya never struck me as a coward," Logan commented, carefully observing Warren. "Want company?"

"Yes," Warren admitted and moved over to the bed. He sat down as far away as possible from Logan. "How do I deal with it?" he asked eventually.

Logan growled. "Ya can’t brin’ back the dead, kid. Ya’ll have to accept what ya did and ya have to realize that it can happen again. Once ya tasted blood…"

Warren silently sobbed, head turned away from Logan, feeling ashamed for letting tears drip down his face. "I don’t ever want to be like that again. I’d rather take my own life!"

Logan sighed and slid down the bed to sit beside Warren. "That’s no solution and ya know it."

"But…" Warren tried fighting the tears and the pain but failed. "I still hear them screaming."

"And they will for the rest of yar life," Logan said compassionately, "But the screams will also remind ya that ya can’t let it happen again."

"I’m…" Warren didn’t know what he wanted to say and looked helplessly to Logan for answers, letting go of his pretended arrogance.

"Lost," Logan finished for him. "Ya’ll find the way back again. Every life ya’ll save from now on will have a new meanin’. Ya’ve taken life, but ya can also protect it. It’s a choice ya have to make."

Logan wasn’t sure if he was reading the man right, but decided to trust his instincts and gently placed an arm around Warren’s shoulders. "Ya don’t have to do it alone, ya know. Ya can talk to me and Cajun wants to help too."

Warren had frozen at the feel of an arm slung around his frame, but then forced himself to calm down. "Promise me something?"

"What?" Logan said alert.

"That if I ever turn into Death again that you’ll kill me?" Warren locked eyes with him, pleading from the depths of his soul.

Logan berated himself. He should have expected that request, which he had once made himself after he’d gone feral for the first time. "Ya’ll make sure it won’t happen again," he said soothingly and was surprised as Warren leaned in to the embrace.

"I feel like I betrayed everything I ever believed in," Warren whispered and stared at his shaking hands. "I still see blood dripping from…"

Logan placed a finger on Warren’s lips, silencing him. "Ya killed… now start makin’ up f’r it f’r the rest of yar life, ‘cause that’s how it’s goin’ to be."

"Is that why you’re still with the X-Men?" Warren asked as Logan removed his finger.

"Yeah, kid. This is my way of makin’ up for what I did and I’m even gettin’ back things I never expected. Friendship, concern, ice in my bathroom."

Warren finally smiled hearing that last comment. "I wish there was something I could do to make up for what I did."

Logan nodded his head approvingly. "Concentrate on the things ya can do, kid."

Warren closed his eyes as Logan’s fingers massaged the back of his neck. It felt so good to know he wasn’t alone, that someone was willing to back him up and catch him should he fall. "Any ideas?"

Logan shrugged. "Ya got all that money… use it."

"I could…" Warren started to feel sleepy; relaxing as Logan pulled him closer, needing this contact so badly right now. He didn’t want to be alone with his thoughts, the blood on his hands and his pain. "I could set up a fund for… street kids… provide more shelters," he said suddenly, remembering what had happened to Remy.

"That’s a good start," Logan stated. "Ya might wanna ask Gumbo’s help."

"Remy…" Warren nodded his head. "Yes, he might know where the shelters are needed most."

"Now, why don’t ya try gettin’ some sleep? I know ya’ve been pacin’ these last two nights." Logan disliked the dark circles underneath Warren’s eyes and sensed the tremors rocking Angel’s body.

"I don’t want to go to sleep. I keep having nightmares and…" Warren stopped as Logan pulled him further onto the bed, allowing him to use his chest as a pillow. "Didn’t I once say I don’t want you in my bed?" Warren said hesitantly, uncertain what was going on.

"Just close yar eyes and sleep. I’m goin’ to do the same," Logan replied, as Warren started to tense up. "Figured ya don’t wanna sleep alone."

"Thanks," Warren whispered, it was the truth. "You know, you’re the complete opposite of the man I thought you were."

Logan smiled, knowing Warren couldn’t see it.

"And why do you keep calling me kid?" Warren asked, as his eyes dropped shut. "I know you’re 150 years old, but…"

"Stop talkin’, Wings. I’m tryin’ to sleep." Sensing Warren’s regular breathing he knew the man was asleep. He recognized his own pain in Warren and wanted to help him find the way back. Warren’s right hand snaked upwards until it found his and Logan squeezed it, realizing Warren was making sure he was still here and not alone. "I’ll help ya work through this," he promised and gave into sleep himself.

///

The four remaining days until Christmas passed by rather uneventfully. Peace and a joyous feeling settled over the Mansion as the X-Men prepared for Christmas.

Remy was learning to control his abilities with Jean’s help and Bobby never strayed far from his side. The link between them was unsettling at times, but the two men seemed to be getting used to it and Bobby was determined to use it to their mutual benefit. The link offered him a new insight into Remy’s feelings and thoughts and he used it to calm the Cajun at nights when Remy suffered from a rare nightmare.

At first Warren often turned to Remy to talk to him about his experiences as Death but quickly realized Remy was in no condition to mentally support him, as the Cajun was struggling with his own memories. In the end he only confided in Logan and none of the others ever commented on the fact that Logan spent most nights in Angel’s room, offering support and a listening ear.

This was obviously a time for the injured to heal, to reach out to the others and settle in to a new routine in which no one felt left out.

Warren had already contacted several people to set up a fund for street kids all over the US and followed Logan’s advice in trying to get Remy to help him. But every time he breached the subject of living on the streets Remy tried hard to avoid answering them.

As he made another attempt at addressing the matter Warren quickly backed off, seeing Remy’s tear filled eyes. Warren knew he’d pushed too hard when Remy simply walked away. "Remy, I’m sorry," he called out as the Cajun quickly left the room. Damn! He’d only asked what would make street kids accept help!

"Give him more time," Jean stated compassionately. She had overheard part of the conversation. Except for Bobby she was probably the only one who knew what horrors Remy had been subjected to as a child. She had seen the dark images in his mind as she had helped him release Death’s rage and the memory still made her tremble.

"Jean?" Warren got to his feet and joined her in the corridor. "You know why I’m asking him those questions." He had told her about his plans, wanting to know if she felt he was doing the right thing. She had been enthusiastic and had even encouraged him to get Remy involved.

Jean nodded her head, trying to find a way to make Warren understand how badly hurt Remy felt. "Remy hasn’t dealt with his pain yet. Now that he feels safe, sheltered and accepted the hurt is finally surfacing and for the first time in his life he’s trying to work through it, something he couldn’t do as a child. I know you mean well, but don’t push him, Warren." Jean spoke in a gentle tone, knowing Warren’s motives to be genuine.

"I’m trying hard to understand him," he admitted, "from what Logan told me I know what probably happened to him, but…" Warren sighed. "Need any help preparing Christmas dinner?" he offered. He’d do anything to escape his own pain. At nights Logan was there to offer support and guidance but during the daytime guilt and shame came crashing in.

"Sure," Jean accepted and took hold of his arm. "I still need someone to peel the potatoes."

///

Remy retreated back to his room, a place where he had hardly spent any time recently. For some reason he usually ended up in Bobby’s room. His lover’s name brought a smile to his lips and he couldn’t help reaching out, //Bobby? Are y’ still in de cellar?//

//Remy!// came the reply at once. //I just found the Christmas decorations!//

Remy smiled warmly, relieved Bobby was having a good time, digging out the Christmas stuff with Hank and Jubilee.

//Are you okay, Remy? Are you brooding again?//

That was the one disadvantage to the link as far as he was concerned. He didn’t want Bobby to experience his memories, mood swings or pain, but Bobby had told him he could deal with it. No need to shut down the link and the truth was that Bobby’s presence in his mind was the best thing that had ever happened to him.

//Are you going to help us decorate the tree and house? Please?// Bobby asked in a pleading/giggling tone.

Remy’s smile broadened. //Later, cher,// and tried putting more emotional distance between them. Bobby was right. He was brooding, trying to make sense of these last weeks.

"Remy?"

The soft voice made him turn around. "Stormy?" Why would she come to his room?

"Brother," Storm said and was delighted to see that Remy’s smile actually reached his eyes. Walking over to the window she took in his appearance. "You look well," she said, knowing very well what Bobby’s part in his recovery was.

"Y’ look beautiful as always," he replied sincerely. Staying away from her thoughts and emotions he looked at her questioningly. Something seemed different about her tonight.

Storm sighed softly and then wrapped her arms around him. "I forgive you, Remy, brother, friend, thief," she whispered compassionately, hoping that Remy was experiencing her sincerity.

A tear surfaced in Remy’s eyes. "Merci, chere, means a lot to dis thief."

Storm sought out his eyes. "Yet something is bothering you. You can tell me, Remy," she offered and smiled as he gently, almost hesitantly returned the embrace. "What is it?"

"I don’ know," Remy whispered against her neck when she refused to break the embrace. "I’ve never been dis happy before, can’ last."

"The professor will join us this evening and once more take up residence at the mansion. Do you think you can confide in him?" Jean had hinted at the enormity of the pain her friend was carrying in his heart.

"No one can help me wid dis, Stormy." Remy finally broke the hold she had on him and stared at the snow, which refused to go away. "It’s my past."

"Remy?"

"Dere was a time when I… lived on de streets, before I was a thief," he refused to meet her eyes. "Ange is askin’ a lot of questions ‘bout dat time an’ it’s bringin’ back memories I’m scared of."

//Scared?// Storm thought. Her friend was admitting that something frightened him?

"Dey called me Devil spawn, demon eyes, son of satan," Remy confessed. "And after all dese years it still hurts."

"Remy," Storm started and raised his chin. "You know who and what you are, a mutant, born with special, very special gifts. Do you know how much you’ve given us these last days? You have shown us that we had strayed from our chosen path. The way you…" she paused, searching for the right words, "showed Warren compassion when he needed it most, opened our eyes. You, my friend are a shining example for the rest of us. You have found a family, home and even a lover here," Storm ended, not repressing a grin as she spoke those last words.

"Stormy," Remy started; his voice shaky.

"Come, my friend. Robert wants your help decorating."

Storm pulled him in to the corridor and Remy allowed a smile to break through.

///

Remy muttered softly, as he was sent outside to fetch firewood. Bobby had this great idea of using the old fireplace to make it ‘cozy’! "Merde, and I’ve got to get de wood!" It was cold and he shivered, remembering a different cold.

Suddenly the wood dropped from his arms as he picked up a presence, close, getting closer all the time… "Non," he moaned miserably and quickly closed the link. It would take Bobby a moment to realize the connection had vanished, but he hoped that by then the worst was behind him. Staring at the sky he watched Rogue and Joseph land. Her arms were filled with presents. He almost averted his eyes as it was too painful to look at her.

"Remy?" Rogue exclaimed in an odd tone.

Remy’s stomach twisted, convulsed and he fought the urge to throw up the hot chocolate Bobby had made him moments ago.

"Yuh still ‘live?" Rogue stuttered, glancing at Joseph who’d taken a step back. "Ah thought yuh’d died!"

"Why?" Remy whispered, trying hard to shut out her emotions. He didn’t want to feel her feelings!

"Yuh told me tuh leave yuh behind, swamprat, or don’t yuh remember? Yuh invaded my mind!" Rogue said vehemently. "Yuh wanted tuh die!"

"I didn’," Remy objected weakly as Rogue advanced on him. She was still beautiful to him, but something was battering against his shields and it wasn’t love. "Why, chere? Why leave me? I don’ have a deat’wish!"

"Sure yuh have, swamprat!" Rogue unceremoniously dropped the gifts in to the snow. "Yuh were in my mind! Ah know the truth!"

"Non," Remy leaned against the wall. "I don’ believe dat! I would never violate y’r mind like dat! I t’ought y’ loved me."

"Yuh betrayed that love, sugah!" Rogue stated. "When yuh kissed me I saw treason! Yuh got the Morlocks killed."

"I didn’ know Sinister’s plans!" Remy defended himself softly. "If y’ really were in my mind y’ must know dat."

Rogue exchanged a glance with Joseph who looked uncomfortable. "Yuh never loved me, Remy. Really loved me," she whispered.

"I was willin’ to forget ‘bout touchin’ y' for de rest of my life!" Remy moaned and shook his head. "I loved y’, chere."

"It ain’t good ‘nough!" she finally spat. "Yuh deserved tuh die out there! Look at what yuh did tuh flyboy! Look at what yuh did to me!"

Remy felt queasy as he finally identified the nature of the emotions battering at his shields. Hate and… she was toying with him like a cat with a mouse. "Chere, please…"

"No, ah ain’t finished yet!" Her eyes widened a little as they noticed movement to his right. A door had opened and someone had stepped on to the porch. "Flyboy," she whispered.

"Ange?" Remy looked up pleadingly. Rogue’s emotions were suffocating him. He couldn’t handle more hate directed at his person, but… Rogue was right. Warren had every reason to hate him. Warren might have made an effort to befriend him, but now that he was reminded of just how treacherous he had been, Angel would surely regain his senses. //I know y’ hate me,// he cast in to Warren’s mind. //I’m sorry…// and bowed his head in defeat.

Warren flinched hearing those words and his jaw was set in firm determination as he looked from Remy to Rogue. "I think that’s enough, Rogue. You left a teammate behind to die. If there is a traitor among us, then it’s you!"

Remy’s head jerked back. "Ange?" he whispered stunned. Was Warren really defending him?

"Swamprat’s responsible for the loss of yor wings!" Rogue protested in a venomous tone.

"No," Warren walked over to Remy, seeing panic in those red eyes. "The Marauders did that to me. Remy fought them as well."

"He put them together, sugah in case yuh forgot that!" Rogue took a step back, closer towards Joseph. "Ah ain’t the traitor here!"

"Child," a voice came from above, "You better leave the mansion now." Storm descended, using her control of the winds to ensure a soft landing. "You’ve hurt my brother." A saddened expression appeared in her eyes. "You almost killed him."

"Storm!" Rogue said pleadingly. "He told me tuh leave him behind!"

"Even if he did that, somethin’ I doubt very much," another voice said from the left. "Ya don’t leave the kid out there to die! We X-Men take care of each other!" Logan cocked his head and the look he gave her was menacing. "They’re right. Ya better leave the mansion."

Remy was still in shock. The X-Men had chosen to defend him? They’d taken his side? "I don’ understand, mes amis," he whispered and studied their faces. "Mon Dieu! Y’re serious!"

"Yes, we are!" Bobby shrugged off Hank’s hand, which had kept him back. He’d wanted to help Remy carry the firewood, but they’d seen Rogue’s arrival and they had heard her accusations. "You don’t leave someone to die in Antarctica, Rogue!" Bobby admonished her and took up position next to his lover. "Don’t you have any feelings at all? How cold is your heart?"

"Bobby, cher," Remy whispered, sensing Bobby’s anger. His lover was about to explode with rage.

Rogue looked up hearing that particular tone. Remy had often used it addressing her. "What’s goin’ on here?" she whispered, seeing how close the two men were standing.

Scott and Jean slowly approached and Cyclops felt thankful Joseph was staying out of this discussion. "They’re right, Rogue. At the moment you aren’t welcome here. I suggest you contact the professor tomorrow. Maybe he can work this out, but I don’t want you to ruin Christmas for us. We’ve worked hard to…" and then he realized the truth. "To become the family we once were," Jean finished with a smile. "If you want to return to that family, Rogue, you’ll have to earn our trust again."

"But the Cajun is a traitor! He violated mah mind and… "

"Stop this!" Charles Xavier exclaimed. They hadn’t even noticed his arrival, too caught up in their discussion. "Rogue, I will contact you tomorrow, but for now you’ll leave the premises!"

Rogue glared at Remy and he quailed under the impact of that hate. "Dere’s a t’in line between love and hate," he whispered, "Why cross it, chere?"

"Yuh ain’t good ‘nough!" she spat again and kicked the presents deeper into the snow. "Yuh don’t know what love is!"

"Oh yes, he does!" Bobby countered, brushing a lock of hair out of Remy’s face before kissing his lover gently. "You threw away the best thing that could have possibly happened to you," he told her, not making a secret of the fact that they were lovers. "Somehow, I pity you, Rogue."

Hissing, cursing, Rogue returned to Joseph. "Ah will be back!"

"Hopefully not," Bobby whispered, as Remy trembled in his arms. His lover was cold and… "Stop blocking your thoughts, Remy. I want you to open the link," he said, desperate to comfort Remy any way he could.

Remy wasn’t sure that was a good thing, but did as he was told.

//Remy, I’m so sorry she said all those things to you… and no! They aren’t true!// he sent Remy, feeling his doubts. "Even Warren defended you, remember?"

Remy nodded his head, hesitantly locking eyes with Angel. "Merci, Ange…"

Warren patted Remy’s back. "I’ll get the firewood. You get inside with the others."

Remy allowed Bobby to pull him back inside and as he sat down he could only stare at the X-Men who had formed a circle around him. "Professor?" he stuttered awkwardly.

"We’ll talk later," Charles decided, they had a lot to discuss… Magneto would be one of their subjects, Rogue another. "But I’m glad to see my X-Men rise to the occasion," he complimented them. "Maybe my absence forced you to grow," he pondered aloud and smiled, feeling the love flowing between Bobby and Remy.

Outside, Warren stared at the sky. Rogue had reminded him of how he used to think about Remy. He hoped she would one day realize her mistakes. His wings itched underneath the fabric and he smiled.

///

Logan helped Jubilee to get all dishes back to the kitchen and the others settled down in front of the fireplace, which was burning and radiating heat. Charles wondered about the potential he sensed in Remy’s mind. It was much stronger than he’d ever suspected! Looking at the young man, Charles felt Remy's confusion. It was probably a rare thing for the Cajun to have people actually watching his back and coming to his rescue.

"Remy?" Bobby sat down next to his lover and squeezed his hand. "It’s time to open the presents."

Jean was fidgeting with the CD-player, trying to get it to play the song she wanted. A moment later, Last Christmas by George Michael echoed through the room.

"I don’ have any presents to give," Remy reminded his lover awkwardly.

"That’s okay, kid," Logan grunted. "You’ve already given us enough."

Remy looked up, wondering what that remark had been about, but then saw Warren sitting next to Logan. Yes, maybe he’d managed to give them something, though he wasn’t sure what it was. He still felt bad though.

"In the professor’s absence," Scott started, "you made us remember what the X-Men are about, Remy. You forced us to think about the parts we played. Truth is," and he looked at Charles who nodded his head. "We made a mistake when we didn’t go back to search for you in Antarctica."

Jean took over, smiling warmly at Remy. "Truth is we never made you feel like you could trust us."

"Or turn to us when you needed us," Hank sighed. "We regret that."

"And we’re glad for the second chance we’ve been given," Warren whispered. "I don’t know how you survived that cold, but I know we’re glad to have you back with us. Especially Bobby should be happy about that," he added and glanced at Logan who had lit a cigar.

"Wings is right, ya know." Logan said and grabbed a gift-wrapped box from underneath the Christmas tree. "That’s for ya, Drake!" Logan disliked Remy’s watered eyes and wanted to break the tension in the room.

Curious, Bobby tore the paper off the box, which eventually revealed an audiotape. "Wolvie?"

"Jean, do me a favor and play it!" Logan said and gave her a wink.

Jean took the tape and pressed play. They heard soft panting, rustling sheets and then, "Stop Bobbying me! I want you now, damnit. I want you to take me!"

Bobby gasped hearing his own voice, staring at Logan. "You taped that?!"

"Yeah, will teach ya to freeze the water in my shower!" Logan remarked and enjoyed his cigar.

Remy however smiled weakly. No matter what happened, he wasn’t going to feel ashamed or embarrassed about the most special night he’d ever had. He would cherish Bobby’s passion for the rest of his life. This time, he squeezed Bobby’s hand reassuringly. //Love y’, cher.//

Bobby looked relieved at that message and placed a kiss on Remy’s lips.

"Harder, Remy, faster!" Bobby’s taped voice screamed through the room.

Scott flushed crimson red and Jean giggled, slapping her knees. "Priceless, Logan!" She stated amused.

Jubilee had crawled towards Logan, sitting on the floor. "Harder? Faster? Wolvie, do you happen to have a vid as well?"

Logan shot her a desperate glance. "Yar way too youn’ too look at somethin’ like that!"

Charles was hardly able to contain his laughter, but it was the look on Hank’s face that caught his attention.

"Who would have guessed," Hank said, looking at Bobby, "that Remy is the silent type and you the screamer, Robert?"

That set off a genuine smirk on Bobby’s face. "Hey, at least Remy and I had some phenomenal sex!"

Warren looked away, slightly embarrassed and found himself staring in to Remy’s red eyes. "I still have to get used to this," Warren said apologetically and felt Logan’s eyes glide over his face.

"Can I have a copy of dat tape, mon ami?" Remy requested, briefly forgetting about Rogue and the hate she had emanated.

"Sure," Logan growled. "Ya might also wanna listen to the conversation Bobby and… Renard had durin’ ya sleep, Cajun."

Now, that did cause a flush to appear on Remy’s face. "Y don’ need to tell all secrets," he said pleadingly, but Logan only grinned.

"Renard?" Storm teased. "Who is Renard, Remy?"

Jean, sensing Remy’s growing embarrassment, stopped the tape and then threw it at Bobby. "I’m afraid my present will only make things worse."

"Y’r present?" Remy moaned. "Are Bobby and I de only ones gettin’ dem?"

"No," Bobby corrected and showed them his gifts.

Jean smiled handing them hers. "Enjoy," she whispered and then sat down, resting her head against Scott’s shoulder.

Bobby started to unwrap the gift, a little more cautious by now. "What’s this?"

"Fluffy handcuffs?" Warren said, standing behind them and having an excellent view. "Fluffy handcuffs?" he repeated stunned.

"Looks like I’m going to cuff you to my bed, Remy!" Bobby smiled and shook his head. //Should have known they would do something like this!// he told Remy, sensing his lover’s emotional turmoil. //It’s okay, Remy. It’s their way of telling us they are okay with this, with us.// He could tell that Remy felt uncomfortable and that this was kinda new to him. "We’ll put them to good use, Jean!"

Giggling, Jean said, "I’m sure you will!"

Charles had watched the scene with growing… admiration. His X-Men hadn’t let him down. Maybe he hadn’t made such grave mistakes. Perhaps the damage could be repaired after all. He’d start with training Remy and deciding what to do about Rogue.

"Logan? Got something for you too," Warren said unexpectedly and handed the Canadian his gift.

"For me?" Logan whispered flabbergasted. "Are ya sure ya ain’t mixin’ somethin’ up?"

"I’m sure," Warren replied firmly and then, almost as if trying to get away from Logan, slid next to Bobby on to the couch, furthest away from Wolverine. Whispering something in to Bobby’s ear, Warren watched Logan closely.

//Remy? You won’t believe this,// Bobby sent to his lover who quickly looked up at him. //You might wanna cover your ears.//

"Cigars?" Logan grunted contented. "And they ain’t the cheap kind either!"

Warren grinned as Logan lit one cigar. "Any moment now," he whispered softly.

A loud bang echoed through the living room and smoke gathered above Logan’s head, his cigar had exploded and left his face blackened.

"Well done!" Bobby complimented Warren. "Looks like we’re even now!" he quipped, laughing warmly, hearing Logan growl.

"X-Men!" Charles said chidingly, but the smile, which had formed on his face revealed his true feelings. "No more practical jokes! And Logan? Don’t swing your claws at Warren!"

Storm was doing her best to appear dignified, but the giggling was contagious and as she rose from her chair she tried to look calm. "This is for you and Bobby," and handed Remy an envelope.

"Stormy?" Remy whispered surprised.

"Hank, Jubilee and I thought you deserved a break," she explained as she made her way back to her chair.

Bobby realized that Remy’s hands were trembling as he opened the envelope. Out fell two pieces of paper. "Wow!" Bobby exclaimed. "Those are tickets! We’re going to… Paris!" he stated ecstatic.

Remy however swallowed hard. "I can’ accept this, chere," and looked Storm in the eyes.

"Sure you can, my friend," Hank cut him short. "I made reservations in Hôtel Normandy, an excellent hotel. I stayed there myself while attending a medical convention."

Shakily, Remy got to his feet and hugged Storm who immediately returned the embrace. Bobby ran over to Hank, patting the blue furry skin and winking at McCoy like a madman. As Remy reached Jubilee he placed a gentle kiss on her brow. "Merci, petite," and surprised he realized she was blushing.

"Come here, handsome," Bobby said and pulled Remy back on to the couch. "I’m saving my present until we’re alone!"

Remy sighed; he had never expected this obvious show of affection. He felt like he’d finally found a home, a family.

"Anyone else who’s still holding on to a present?" Charles inquired. "If not I’d like to start on the punch and eggnog."

Warren seemed about to say something, but shook his head. Charles smiled. "Hank… are there any snacks left?"

As they moved over to the drinks Warren walked up to Remy and said, "Can I talk to you? In private?"

"Cher?" Remy looked to Bobby for a reply.

"Sure, Warren, as long as you return Remy to me."

Bobby joined the others and Warren asked Remy to join him in the corner of the room.

A little nervous Remy waited for Warren to speak up. "What’s wrong, Ange?"

"I don’t know how to say this," Warren sighed and produced another envelope. "It’s not really a Christmas present, but… I want you to know this."

Remy's fingers trembled as he opened the slip of paper. "A cheque?"

"Well, yes… I want you to help me run the homeless shelters I’ve been setting up all over the country. A… joint venture so to speak. It’s more a symbolic gesture really, the cheque, as the money is already spent."

Choking up Remy stared at the amount written down on the paper. "Y’ can feed a lot of hungry mout’s wid that money."

"I plan on doing just that. I know I’ve been asking… unpleasant questions, but I don’t know where to find the right people for this job. I need your help."

Touched, Remy nodded his head. //Mais oui, I’ll help,// and realized too late he’d used telepathy to tell Warren that.

"Good, then let’s join the others, before Bobby freezes the punch. He did that once, you know."

Remy stared at the cheque during his way over to Bobby who had heard everything via the link.

"Here," Bobby offered Remy some punch.

"I ain’t sure dat’s a good idea, Bobby," Remy objected at the sight of alcohol. In the past his charm power had acted up when intoxicated.

//You’re an empath… as well as a telepath,// sounded Xavier’s voice in both their heads. //There is no charm power, Remy.//

Nodding his head, remembering Magneto pointing out the same thing to him, he slowly sipped from his glass.

"And now, if you excuse us, we’re going to have a private party!" Bobby stated and pointed his finger at Logan. "And don’t you dare tape it!"

Logan cocked his head. "Perhaps I will, perhaps I won’t."

Remy smiled as Bobby pulled him upstairs.

"You didn’t peek at the present, did you?" Bobby wanted to know.

"Non," Remy assured him, "I didn’."

///

"Sit down on the bed," Bobby commanded in a soft tone, suddenly nervous and uncertain if Remy would actually like his gift. Maybe it was way too soon, was he making a grave error. Even the link was useless at a time like this.

"What is it, cher?" Remy made himself comfortable on the bed, stretching his long legs and pushed a pillow underneath his back. He was still trying to comprehend all the things the X-Men had said, the way they had defended him from Rogue’s attack, telling her what she had done was wrong. Only Jean-Luc had ever backed him up all the way and he missed his père.

Bobby sat down, receiving most of Remy’s thoughts. Whenever the Cajun was depressed his control over the link faded a little. "You miss your father?"

"And tante!" Remy added. Seeing Bobby’s confused smile he added, "She took care of me, tried raisin’ me, was de mère I never had."

"I hope I’ll get to meet them one day." Bobby sat down cross-legged, with the present in his left hand. "You can’t go and visit them, right?" He remembered Remy telling him New Orleans was forbidden turf.

"Oui, had to flee de city years ago," Remy admitted. "Would like to see dem once in a while dough."

"Why don’t you invite them over?" Bobby suggested. //Or are you afraid they won’t come?// Almost automatically he’d switched in to using the link. He had found himself doing that whenever the topic was personal to Remy.

"Père can’ leave like dat and tante… I don’ know," Remy tried brushing off the subject. "So, y’ got me a present?" he said, switching subjects.

Bobby placed a hand on Remy’s knee, squeezing it gently. For the moment he would let the subject rest, but later on he’d try and get Remy to at least phone or write his family.

//Bobby, cher?// Remy sent, seeing the thoughtful expression in his lover’s eyes.

"Yeah, right, the present," Bobby said and his eyes brightened. "I hope you’ll like it."

"Bobby," Remy started, wanting to tell him that he would always love presents coming from his lover, but the look Bobby gave him silenced the Cajun.

"Here, you unwrap it." Bobby handed the box over to Remy and relished the disbelief he still felt in his lover’s mind. It was hard for Remy to accept that people actually cared for him, even loved him.

Remy’s fingers removed the paper carefully, not tearing it impatiently like Bobby had done earlier. "Y’ didn’ have to do dis."

"I wanted to do it," Bobby countered and smiled as the small jewellery box finally appeared. "C’mon," he encouraged the Cajun. "Open it!"

His hands were still trembling as he opened the box. "Rings?" Remy stuttered.

"Well, you might think it’s too early for that," Bobby said soothingly and took out one of the rings. "I had yours engraved. If you want to wear it, that’s fine. If you’re uncomfortable with the idea you can put the box away." Bobby noticed the odd expression to Remy’s eyes. Concentrating on the link he only received confusion.

"Engraved?" Remy mumbled. "Dese must have been expensive, cher," he commented with an expert’s eye. The rings were made of silver and he slowly turned his around to have a look at the inscription. "Forever, my angel." he whispered, more upset than he wanted Bobby to know. Someone had actually bought this for him? Had it engraved? "Bobby?"

Bobby smiled, finally realizing what was upsetting his lover. "You’re an empath, Remy. How come you still can’t accept I love you?"

//I don’t know, cher,// now it was Remy lapsing into using the link.

"Well, want me to put the box away or slide the ring onto your finger?" he asked, comfortable with whatever Remy was going to decide.

"What ‘bout y’r ring?" Remy asked and noticed the absence of an inscription.

"You can go back to the jeweller I bought it from and have an inscription put in, if you want that," Bobby told him and gently brushed Remy’s lips. "You know, Remy," he started in a tender tone. "I’ve never loved anyone as much as I love you." //And I would have frozen the cells in Rogue’s body had she even tried to harm you. God help me, but it’s true.// Bobby hoped Remy hadn’t received that particular thought.

"Merci, cher," Remy whispered awed and took the other ring from the box, closed it and began to slide the ring down Bobby’s finger. "I’ll have it engraved," he promised. //But I have no idea what it should say.//

"Remy?" Bobby smiled seeing the stunned expression in his lover’s eyes and took hold of the other ring. "You’re okay with this?"

//Oui, cher,// Remy told him and watched in disbelief as the ring fit perfectly. Bobby hugged him, tightly, making sure he was aware of his lover’s presence.

"I’m sorry to interrupt," Charles said after clearing his throat. He’d had felt the emotional exchange and hated to intrude, but… "Remy someone wants to say good-bye."

"If it’s Rogue she can…" Bobby said defensively.

"No, it’s not Rogue," Charles calmed him and then looked at Remy again. "He’s waiting for you at the clearing."

Remy’s eyes grew big. Xavier couldn’t know about… Magneto. Only Jean and Bobby knew about his savior.

"I know he won’t mind Bobby accompanying you as the snow is still thick outside," Charles said, not in the least surprised to learn Remy had told Bobby even this secret.

But something else was bothering Charles. Remy’s shields were so weak in comparison to his powers. Just how strong was he? Charles wondered baffled. Nothing had ever indicated this potential. Yes, he had suspected, no known, about the empathy but this manifestation of Remy’s latent telepathy had taken him by surprise and he realized he had to train Remy well.

"Monsieur," Remy whispered in a soft tone. "Y’ know ‘bout… Magneto?"

Charles smiled warmly. "We go way back, Magnus and I, Remy. He was the one who urged me to return to the mansion. Magnus still worries about you. I think he almost suffered a heart attack when Warren attacked you, although I doubt my old friend will ever admit to that!"

"I was ‘fraid y’d t’ink me a…" Remy was unable to finish the sentence.

"A traitor, because Magnus saved your life, Remy? No," Charles said reassuringly. "Now get going. Gambit."

Remy looked to Bobby who had fetched their parkas. "Are y’ comin’ ‘long?" he asked, uncertain he could make it to the clearing alone in the middle of the night and with all that snow surrounding him.

"Sure I am!" Bobby stated determinedly and slid into his parka, as Remy briefly left the room to put on a sweater Bobby turned to the professor. "I’m glad you’re back, sir."

"It’s good to be back!" Charles admitted. Then he turned thoughtfully. "You have done a great job with Remy, Robert. I can feel the change within him."

Bobby sighed. "He’s still depressed though and something is eating him. Maybe you can try and talk to him?"

"I will," Charles promised. "And I will examine his abilities closely. Robert, do you realize how strong his telepathic talent is?" Charles murmured, more to himself than to Bobby. "I never knew…"

Bobby was about to reply as Remy appeared again. Laughing warmly he helped Remy in to his parka. "Do you know you impressed the professor?"

Remy shot Xavier a troubled glance. "What are y’ talkin’ ‘bout, cher?"

"We will discuss your latent telepathy tomorrow, after a good night’s sleep," Xavier decided and watched them leave, wondering why Magnus had insisted on speaking to Remy one last time.

///

Magneto quickly noticed the two figures approaching the clearing and waited patiently for them to arrive. He only had one thing to say to Remy and then he’d disappear again. The next time they’d meet would probably be as enemies. And he regretted that for several reasons.

//Bobby?// Remy asked and felt reassured as his lover pulled him closer.

//He saved your life. I can understand he wants to talk to you a last time.//

//Merci.//

Bobby shook his head. //C’mon, we shouldn’t keep him waiting.//

As they arrived at the clearing Magneto was pacing, but looked up seeing the two men. "Remy," Magneto started and didn’t suppress the pride he felt concerning the young man, hoping the Cajun would pick up on it. He gave Bobby a polite nod and then focused on the other young mutant. "Seems to me you have touched their hearts, Remy," he said, a catch in his voice, but quickly composed himself again. "You didn’t believe me at the time, but returning to the mansion was the best thing you could do, wasn’t it?"

"Oui," Remy replied a little nervous. "Merci for takin’ me back."

Bobby watched with growing interest. What was he missing here?

"I’m proud, Remy. If I had a son, I would have liked him to be like you. Charles can be proud of you." Magneto drew in a deep breath. "I’ve got to go now, destroy the world, things like that," he added remembering Remy’s comment, trying to get rid of the tension between them.

Remy smiled hearing that. "I won’ judge y’ dat quickly ‘gain."

"Good," Magneto said pleased, then turned to Drake. "As far as I’m concerned you better look after him if you don’t want me breathing down your neck."

Bobby shrugged his shoulders, not in the least impressed. He was too busy trying to figure out what this was about. This wasn’t typical behaviour for Magneto. "I’ll take care of him."

Magneto seemed to stall, as if unwilling to leave. He moistened his lips, about to say something, but then seemingly dismissing the idea. "We’ll meet again, as enemies," he said at last and used his magnetic powers to take to the air.

Bobby and Remy watched him leave, both with unspoken questions. In the end it was Remy who said, "I’m cold, cher."

"Yeah, let’s head home," Bobby studied Remy’s eyes and asked, "What’s wrong?"

"I sensed his pride," Remy admitted. "I don’ understan’ why he feels like dat."

"Neither do I," Bobby whispered and began pulling his lover back towards the house. "But I do know I want another discussion with Renard tonight!"

Smiling, Remy placed a kiss on Bobby’s brow. //Renard might be up f’r dat, cher!// he sent wickedly.

END