Black Wings

by Morgana

Email: morganalebeau@yahoo.com

Fandom: X-Men/The Vampire Chronicles

Parings: Remy/Armand

Rating: NC-17 for explicit sexual content or violence

Disclaimers: Gambit and X-Men is (c)copyright of Marvel Comics. No copyright infringement is intended. Armand belongs to Anne Rice.

Summary: A short story about Remy LeBeau who runs in to Armand (Anne Rice) while making plans to steal the Birth of Venus by Botticelli. Confused, Remy joins Armand for dinner and things evolve from there... After being expelled from the Thieves' Guild Remy has to make a living on his own. While trying to steal the birth of Venus he runs in to Armand who instantly takes an interest in the young thief.

Warning: This story is definitely Alternate Universe!

This stories was beta read by Sethra, thanks!

 

Black Wings

by Morgana

 

//Dis won' be easy,// Remy LeBeau realized disappointed, as he strolled leisurely inside. The Louvre was crowded with people, mostly tourists, who were all eager to see some of the greatest masterpieces mankind had to offer and he struggled through the crowd to get in to the next exhibition hall.

His eyes closely examined the paintings on the wall, each and every one of them was valuable, but the one he had chosen to 'acquire' was in a different wing and he continued to force himself a way through the large number of people.

It would have been so much easier, if only he'd still had access to the Guild's resources, but that was in the past. He'd been exiled from New Orleans and now had to survive on his own. Considering everything that had happened lately, he wasn't doing too badly.

Rich people always wanted the original paintings and shuddered at the thought of having a reproduction at home. He gladly obliged and stole the art objects they craved and they paid him large sums of money to get that one painting they'd always desired.

Money wasn't an issue right now, he had lots of it, but stealing 'The Birth of Venus' by Botticelli was. It was the ultimate challenge.

Closely, he examined all the safety measures they had taken to protect the art. These French were thorough! Getting inside wasn't a problem, but remaining undetected and slipping outside again might prove impossible. //Merde! I could use de money!// This museum provided him with an incredible challenge.

Except for his père, he was probably the best thief in the world. There had to be a way to get his hands on that canvas! As a LeBeau, he had a reputation to uphold! //Dey even have lasers t' secure de floor!// No way he was going to walk in to that room, pick up the painting and leave again. This would take a lot of preparation and he wasn't sure that he had the time to do it. He had only been given one week to steal the painting!

Finally, he reached the last room, which held the Birth of Venus and he allowed himself a moment to admire the artist's craftsmanship. It was beautiful. Luckily, this section was rather empty. Most people had drifted off to other rooms, waning to see the Egyptian artefacts and the Mona Lisa the Louvre was renowned for.

He understood perfectly why his 'employer' wanted the original. It was absolutely breath taking. Lost in thought, Remy didn't notice the arrival of another admirer.

///

//Beautiful,// was his first thought and it wasn't aimed at the painting, but at the man standing in front of it. His fingers itched to tangle in that silken hair and he glided forward soundlessly.

He'd only wanted to admire the paintings, to study the art with his unique sight, but now something even more intriguing had crossed his path. The stranger was of the same height and he suspected that an agile body was hidden underneath the black coat and worn jeans. The man tried to look casual, but there was something in his manner that gave him away. This young man had come here with a purpose.

Subconsciously, he tried to read the stranger's mind, one talent his master had bestowed on him so many centuries ago. Stunned, he realized that he couldn't penetrate the man's mind. It was a solid wall, unreadable and it lured him closer.

Humans hardly ever possessed the ability to block his probing, but this handsome specimen had succeeded brilliantly. It had been an eternity since he'd felt such a challenge. He desperately needed to learn more about this handsome stranger. If only the man would take off those annoying shades! The glasses hid his eyes from view and he wanted to stare into them, read the secrets hidden in those orbs.

He had to take the initiative. Thus far the stranger hadn't noticed his presence and he didn't want to startle him, so he cleared his throat and whispered, "Beautiful, isn't it?"

Remy quickly turned around, as the soft voice flowed into his mind. He hadn't sensed the man's arrival, which was odd. His senses were trained to keep him alive! Cautiously, he took a step away from the man and nodded his head. Better not to reveal too much yet and he decided to pretend that he was a French tourist, admiring art. "Yes," he replied carefully. "Botticelli was a real master. The colors are superb and…" His accent had vanished and his entire attitude had changed. This stranger might have a hidden agenda! Slowly and methodically, Remy started to take in the man's appearance. The first thing that struck him was the long black hair that framed the chiselled face. The eyes were dark and brooding, like they wanted to lure all his secrets from him.

Alerted, Remy decided that this was a dangerous man. The stranger's clothes were tailor made and expensive. A black costume and a white silk shirt were partly hidden underneath a heavy black cloak. A walking cane, adorned with a silver dragon's head completed the outfit and he suddenly got the feeling that this man belonged to a different era.

"Do you come here often?" the stranger asked and stepped forward.

Remy couldn't move away, as he stood with his back against the wall. Normally, he would never react like this, but there was something about the stranger that… puzzled, no, scared, him. The man resembled a predator and he felt very much like its prey. "No, this is the first time," Remy replied, maintaining his disguise.

"You should come here more often. One rarely sees such a marvellous example of beauty anymore."

Remy's head jerked back. What the hell was going on? His sixth sense told him that the stranger wasn't talking about the painting on the wall behind him. The remark had been directed at him.

Pretending ignorance, Remy decided it was time to play his part in the game, realizing it had been a good idea to conceal his true identity. He could easily pretend being someone else. The Guild had trained him well. A stabbing pain moved through his heart, remembering the expression on Jean-Luc’s and Tante Mattie's face, as he had packed his stuff to leave the house.

"You look… sad," the man remarked in an odd tone.

His instincts told him that this man couldn't be fooled and Remy replied, "I lost someone very dear to me recently." Hopefully, that would satisfy the man's curiosity.

"I'm truly sorry to hear that, but… it's getting late and Le Louvre is about to close for the night. Would you care to join me for a late dinner?"

Remy blinked his eyes. //Merde! What does he want from me?// The eyes, there was something wrong with those eyes! Feeling distinctly uncomfortable, Remy pulled his coat closer to his body and felt thankful for wearing the shades. He wasn't sure he wanted to make 'real' eye contact with the man. Briefly, he considered if he would get away with declining the invitation.

"Please," the stranger whispered, "I would like to talk to you."

//Non, won' get 'way wid sayin' non,// Remy realized and sighed. "Sure, I could use a cup of coffee and something to eat." But he wasn't sure the stranger was buying his act. Something about those eyes seemed to pierce his mind, reading the truth there.

Pleased, the man nodded his head. "You will like Fouquet's. It's an excellent restaurant. We will take a cab to the avenue des Champs-Elysées."

Remy recognized the restaurant's name. It was famous for its excellent kitchen and very expensive. Apparently, this man was only interested in the best.

Remy regretted accepting the invitation when the stranger walked up to him with firm determination in his eyes. Truth was that this man confused him. Usually, people stayed away from him, but this man was different, even seemed attracted to him. //'Till he sees my eyes an' realizes what I am,// Remy thought saddened. His alien eyes always presented a barrier. He found himself off balance and wondered what the hell was different about this man.

"Where are my manners?" the stranger said, softly admonishing himself and smiled seductively. "I didn't even introduce myself. I'm Armand."

///

Remy kept his distance when they moved into the cab. He listened closely when Armand told the driver where he wanted to go. When Armand settled down next to him, he tried to increase the distance between them. His instincts were usually right and major warning bells were ringing in his mind. He should never have accepted this invitation! What did he know about this man except for his name? Nothing!

Armand studied his guest and noticed the unease in the man's movements. "So, what should I call you?" he inquired, curious to see if his guest would tell him the truth or a lie. He might be unable to read his mind, but lies weren't that hard to detect.

Deciding upon his strategy he eventually replied, "Remy." He could make up a name, but knew from previous experience that it might back fire on him, forgetting to react to it.

"Remy," Armand repeated, as if tasting the name. Then, he nodded his head approvingly. "The name suits you." The uncomfortable silence still hung between them and Armand wondered why the other man was this suspicious. Normally, humans never saw through his disguise, but this one was different. "Tell me," he started and felt once more irritated by the shades Remy was wearing. "Why are you wearing those sun glasses? The sun has long set." Indeed, she had set; otherwise he would still be in hiding.

"I've got sensitive eyes," Remy replied evasively, reminding himself to suppress the accent.

Armand smiled seductively. "So have I."

Remy looked up at hearing that remark. "There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them," he pointed out.

Armand decided to let the topic rest. He'd tried before to explain how unique a vampire's sight was, how he perceived objects and his surroundings, but he had failed every time. Even Daniel had only understood once he'd become a vampire. Daniel, he longed for his companion, but the young man had decided that he needed more time to himself and yes, Armand understood that need. He wondered if Daniel would ever return to him.

The cab had reached the restaurant and Armand gestured his guest to follow him. As they walked up to the entrance he asked. "Have you ever been here before? It's an excellent restaurant."

"Not yet," Remy whispered cautiously.

Inside, it was crowded and people stood in line, waiting for a table. Garcons were trying to calm them down, as it was apparent that the restaurant was fully booked.

"Maybe we should go some place else?" Remy suggested, feeling uncomfortable amidst this crowd. If someone accidentally knocked off his shades, things might get out of hand. He doubted that the French opinion of mutants differed from that of the rest of the world.

Armand sensed some of Remy's discomfort and realized a change of plans was in order. He was going to play it safe. This young man was exquisite and he wanted a chance to get to know him.

The headwaiter walked over to them and Remy was about to start for the exit when Armand halted him with a gentle hand on his arm. His first reaction was to shake it off, but as he looked in to Armand's eyes he shivered. Those burning orbs were full of promise. //Promisin' me what?// he wondered privately. Unable to shake off the influence, he halted in his movement.

"Monsieur Armand! We're so glad to see you again. You honor this establishment with your presence."

Remy looked questioningly at Armand, who smiled back at him.

"A table for two… secluded, my friend," Armand said and the waiter nodded his head, eager to be of service.

"Of course, monsieur!"

Curiosity had taken over and Remy followed the two men to one of the suites, located behind the dining room.

"This will do," Armand whispered and the waiter's face lit up with pride.

"Does your guest wish to see the menu?" the waiter inquired.

"Yes," Armand replied and sat down. Gesturing Remy, he waited for his guest to join him.

"Looks like that man worships you," Remy remarked ill at ease, but sat down opposite Armand.

"He's like a brother to me," Armand replied and tried hard not to grin. "We've known each other for a LONG time." Actually, he'd helped the vampire to get this job. Working nights was the perfect solution for a fledgling and offered him a chance to get to know potential victims.

The waiter returned, offered Remy a menu and poured him a glass of red wine. After Remy had made his choice, the waiter left, promising to return quickly with the chosen dish.

"Usually, I don't drink wine," Remy objected weakly, but realized it would be impolite to refuse at this belated moment.

"Try it," Armand encouraged him. "You might like it."

Remy realized that it was a very old and expensive wine and slowly sipped from his glass. Luckily, he didn't get drunk easily. "You're right. It's delicious," he whispered. It was getting harder to work around his accent and the wine wouldn't help. Best to turn this conversation to his advantage and take the lead. "Do you live in Paris?"

Armand shook his head and leaned back. "No, I'm only passing through." What would it take for Remy to remove those shades? It was all he could think of.

Remy sipped from the wine and desperately tried to think up questions he could ask to keep the conversation going. "Do you always ask people to join you for dinner?" Merde, there was just one disadvantage to this strategy. He couldn't let his accent slip back in!

This time Armand allowed a smile to break through. Maybe he'd found a way to get past Remy's defenses and he was going to test his theory now. "Only if they're as beautiful as you are, my friend." Yes, he'd been right.

Remy blushed fiercely. "What do y' want from me?" Too late did he realize that the accent was slipping back in.

Armand noticed the changed pronunciation, but let it pass. "To watch you eat dinner, talk to you. I want to get to know you."

"Why?" Remy asked and placed his now empty glass back on the table.

"Because I love beauty," Armand replied and leaned forward. "You're not used to receiving compliments. That surprises me."

Remy shrugged his shoulders. "That's a long story," he replied and filled his glass again. "Will you join me for a drink?"

"No," Armand whispered. "I'm neither hungry nor thirsty." Crossing his arms in front of his chest he continued to observe Remy. "Why are you trying to mislead me?"

Remy's head jerked back and confused, he stared at Armand.

"You're a foreigner. You don't live in Paris. Why lie to me?" Armand nodded his head. His assumption had been correct.

Caught off guard, Remy licked his lips and tried to think of an answer. In the end he opted for the truth. "Y're right. I don' live in Paris. Like you, I'm only passin' t'hrough."

Pleased, Armand nodded his head. "You weren't at the museum to admire art…"

Remy was determined not to reveal everything and asked, "Why do you go there? To pick up men?"

Armand laughed softly. "No, that's not my style, my friend. But you're right. We're both keeping secrets and we should call a truce."

Relieved, Remy sighed. "I ain't sure what I'm doin' here," he'd given up on hiding his accent. "It ain't like me t' accept invitations like dis."

Armand smiled knowingly. "Maybe it's my charm?"

"What did y' say?" Remy asked. "Did y' say charm?" Was it possible that this man knew of his charm power? But no, he was tightly controlling it. "Are y' a telepat'?" he'd heard of mutants who could read minds.

Armand considered the man in front of him. During these last few minutes he'd realized that he wanted this to be more than just a brief fling. But this was going too fast! He was actually considering telling Remy the truth about himself, who he really was. When had he become this reckless?

Remy hated the sudden silence. What the hell was he doing? He couldn't trust anyone! Being a thief and a mutant meant that only caution could keep him alive, and now…

"How about this?" Armand started and offered his guest the still full glass. "I'll tell you who I am, if you do the same."

Remy accepted without hesitation. "Who goes first?"

"I will," Armand decided in a firm tone, "But there's one condition."

Remy swallowed hard and fumbled for a card, which he pulled from a pocket. He was ready to charge it, if he needed to get out in a hurry. "What's de condition?"

"I want you to take off those shades," Armand whispered.

///

Remy felt indecisive, but realized that there was no way out of this situation. Slowly, his fingers closed around the metal frame and after taking a deep breath, he took off the shades. Previous experiences had told him that most people felt horrified when seeing his red on black eyes and he expected Armand to react the same way. Maybe, he subconsciously hoped that his eyes would scare Armand off. Then, they could go their separate ways.

Fascinated, Armand rose from his chair and walked around to Remy. Gently, he cupped the young man's chin in the palm of his hand and forced Remy to lock eyes with him. "Magnificent," he whispered awed. He didn't know what humans saw when they looked at those eyes, but he saw only beauty. The red iris consisted of fire, and the blackness that surrounded them was soothing.

"Magnificent?" Remy repeated in disbelief. No one had ever reacted like that! Not even Jean-Luc or Tante Mattie.

"Yes, their beauty is beyond words," Armand reassured him and reluctantly returned to his seat. "I want to know everything about you, my friend, but I promised to share my past with you first. I will keep my word."

Feeling nervous, Remy decided to put the shades back on.

"Don't," Armand said resolved. "I want to see your eyes."

Undecided, the shades remained in mid air. Eventually, Remy placed them on the table. He had to admit that it felt good to be rid of them. The light, which the candles dispersed through the room, wasn't bright. He didn't need the sunglasses, but… it worried him that his red on black eyes hadn't repelled Armand. Again, he realized that this was an extraordinary man. //Jus' who are y'?// he thought worried. He hated not being in control.

Armand smiled tenderly, realizing that Remy felt ashamed for having such peculiar eyes. Right now, he regretted committing to go first, as he craved hearing Remy's history, but… "I was born in Russia," he started, "more than 500 years ago."

"What did y' say?" Remy stuttered. "500 years? That's impossible!"

While shaking his head, Armand replied, "Let me continue."

"'Course," Remy said taken aback and drowned his second glass of wine. Armand was telling the truth; at least his senses weren't picking up any lies or feelings of manipulation. Captivated, he rested his elbows on the table and used his arms to support his chin.

Armand recognized the curious and impatient expression that had appeared in Remy's eyes. Daniel had once looked at him like that. But even Daniel didn't know everything. This time however, it was going to be different. He wanted Remy to know the whole truth.

Remy couldn't tear himself away from Armand's eyes, even if he'd wanted to. The man's tone was seductive and those eyes demanding. What was Armand's secret? Was he a mutant too?

"When I was only a child, I was taken away from my family and sold off into slavery." Armand noticed that Remy's eyes flashed dangerously at hearing that revelation.

"Slavery?" Remy whispered shakily, remembering his own childhood. He hadn't been a slave no, but had done certain things to earn money and at times, he had felt like a slave.

"You've got to keep in mind that this happened 500 years ago," Armand reminded him. "But, eventually I was lucky. Instead of dying in one of the brothels in Italy I was bought by a very kind man, an artist… a painter. His name is Marius."

"Y' use de present tense? Is dis Marius still 'live?" Remy asked, intrigued by the story this far. He was letting go of his suspicions, feeling akin to Armand.

"Marius is still alive, yes," Armand confirmed. "He took me with him and… at first he kept me at a distance. Yes, he promised to teach me how to paint…" Armand couldn't help thinking back to the time when he'd still lived with his parents. He'd painted saints, and the monks had almost made him one of their own. He shuddered, realizing how close he'd come to being buried alive, spending his days in the earth, meditating on God and the sacrifice he would make by dying in that lonely cell.

"Armand?" Remy whispered, slightly concerned as the man stopped talking. The expression in those eyes had changed to melancholy, distant.

"I'm fine," Armand said and nodded his head. "Slowly, I realized who and what Marius was. I would lay with him during the night, but he was incapable of… doing the deed."

Remy felt entranced by Armand's voice, knowing only too well what the other man had been through. "Did y' love him? Did he love y'? How old were y' when dis happened?" The questions flowed from his lips before he realized what he'd asked.

"Marius loves me, yes. In his own way…" Armand grew silent. "And I still love him."

"Did he treat y' right? I mean, y' were a slave an' he de master?" Remy fidgeted with the glass, it felt like listening to a twisted version of his own past.

"I was ill for a while, but Marius tended to my every need." Armand realized that he was stalling and he wondered why. It was time to reveal the ultimate truth. "Marius disappeared during the day and visited me at night. Every night he would draw blood. His lips, placed at my throat, would gently suck the blood from my veins."

Remy released a surprised yelp. "Mon Dieu!" and he fought the urge to say a quick prayer. New Orleans was a city filled with tales of voodoo, ghosts, the living dead and… "Was he a vampire?" Armand tapped his fingers on the table and only now did Remy notice the long, transparent fingernails.

"Yes, a vampire, but don't draw conclusions too quickly." Armand stared at the flame. "Don't believe the tales you may have heard about vampires. We can touch a crucifix, are not appalled by garlic, and some of us even have a conscience."

"I…" Remy stuttered. "Are y' tellin' me dat y're a… Y' said WE…" This conversation had certainly taken an unexpected twist. Did Armand really think that he was a vampire? Suddenly Remy was very glad that they were in a restaurant. There were people everywhere and the waiter would return shortly with his dish.

"Yes, I am a vampire," Armand confirmed. "A 500 year old vampire."

Remy leaned back in to the comfort of his chair. "I ain't sure I can believe dat."

Armand decided to ignore the remark. "Do you want to hear the rest?"

"Mon Dieu! Oui!"

Armand smiled. Remy might not believe him yet, but he didn't show any fear either. He liked that. "Marius was reluctant to give me the dark gift, but one night he gave in. I can't explain the sensations that washed through me when I opened my eyes for the first time. You see, my sight differs from a human's. When I look at your eyes… I see fire and pain."

Remy had grown quiet, but now his eyes clung to Armand. "Merci."

Armand nodded his head in polite acknowledgment. "Humans must have shunned you because of those eyes."

"Oui," Remy muttered and fought hard to keep back the pain. Memories were about to crash in on him and he didn't want them right now.

"You will tell me when it's your turn," Armand murmured and let the awkward moment pass. "The house was attacked and I had to flee. That night I lost track of Marius and I had to survive on my own. I ached inside now that he was gone and I felt lost. I ended up in Paris. The vampires there were… old fashioned." Armand smiled saddened, remembering the treatment he had received at their hands.

"I don' understand," Remy whispered and almost reached out to squeeze Armand’s hand reassuringly. The vampire's mind was filled with a never forgotten ache and he couldn't, no, didn't want, to shut it out.

"They thought that we were the devil's chosen ones and should live like… the damned," he added eventually. "With Marius I lived in luxury, wore silk clothes and we went out. The coven lived underneath cemeteries and…" Armand paused. "It was hell."

"Je suis désolé," Remy whispered. His fingers inched closer to Armand's.

"I don't like to think back to that time," Armand said and just now noticing how close Remy's hand was lying to his. "It ended when another vampire destroyed the coven and I was alone again." Armand shifted in his chair and decided that he wasn't going to tell Remy about Lestat yet. Also, it was obvious that Remy wanted to say something. Now, it was Remy's turn to talk, ask questions and if he could, he would answer them.

Remy didn't really know what he wanted to say. In a certain way he felt the need to comfort Armand, whose life had been so rough and filled with pain. But that meant crossing a line and he wasn't ready to take that step. Instead he asked, "Y're a vampire, non? Does dat mean y' brought me here 'cause…"

Armand heard Remy's unspoken words in his mind. During these last minutes the man's mind had become more… tangible. "No, I'm not going to kill you. I don't need your blood."

Remy looked up apologetically. "I assumed dat…"

"I'm old," Armand explained. "Marius was a powerful vampire and his blood made me strong. As the years passed, I… grew stronger. I can do without blood."

Relieved, Remy locked eyes with Armand. "I never believed Tante Mattie when she told me ghost stories."

"Vampires exist," Armand said and waited for Remy to continue.

"Are you immortal?

"Nearly immortal," Armand whispered. "The light of the sun can destroy me."

"Holy water? Stake t'rough de heart?" Remy asked nervously.

Armand shook his head. "Have no effect on me."

"Mon Dieu!" Remy exclaimed again. "Why me? Why did y' pick me t' talk t'?"

"I feel attracted to you. I don’t know exactly why."

That answer didn't reassure Remy. "If y' didn' take me here for my blood, den why?" The only other reason he could think of was sex.

Armand laughed embittered. "My body died 500 years ago, Remy," he pointed out. "Remember when I said that Marius couldn't… 'perform'? Neither can I. But, I still remember ways to make you experience ecstasy," he whispered, remembering the things Marius had done to make him come when he'd been young. As a vampire he'd never made love to a human, not even Daniel had been interested in him in that way. Daniel had craved being a vampire.

The expression on Remy's face puzzled him. Was it… disappointment? He cursed the fact that Remy's mind once more denied him entry. A moment ago he had managed to catch a few thoughts. "Is that it? Would you like to find out how it feels to be a vampire's lover?" Armand added teasingly. Remy's faint blush revealed his answer and made him smile. "Yes, you would," and he felt strangely honored by that revelation.

Remy did his best to avoid Armand's simmering eyes. Making love to a vampire? Briefly, an image flashed through his mind. Maybe Armand couldn't become erect, but what if…? A soft moan left his lips as he envisioned what it would be like to ride this man, to possess him in a way he'd maybe never experienced before. Shocked, Remy realized that he was growing hard.

Desperately, Remy tried to think of something to say when the waiter entered the room to serve dinner. His erection refused to go away and he suspected that Armand had picked up on it. As he looked up at the vampire, his heart missed a beat. Slowly, Armand's tongue moved over his upper lip, as if challenging him to claim it.

In an effort to distract himself, Remy focused his attention on the waiter. "Is he a vampire too?" he asked, as the waiter closed the door behind him. As his arousal weakened, he sighed relieved.

"Yes," Armand whispered and pondered his next move. "Do you have any questions for me to answer?" He didn't want to embarrass Remy, whose face was still flustered. Passion and desire clouded Remy's thoughts and amused, Armand watched the confused young man.

"Non, not right now," Remy said eventually, stepping away from the unsettling topic.

"In that case, I would like to learn more about you. You already told me that you lived in New Orleans, but I want you to start at the beginning."

Remy stared at the food on his plate. Suddenly, he found he'd lost all appetite. The past was still painful and the last thing he wanted to do, was to discuss his exile.

"I'm waiting," Armand said patiently, faintly tasting the pain and sadness in Remy's mind. Had it been that pain that had attracted him in the first place?

Remy composed himself and looked up pleadingly at Armand. He really didn't want to share this with anyone, but he couldn't walk out on Armand now that the man had bared part of his soul. "My name's Remy LeBeau an' I'm a mutant."

"A mutant?" Armand repeated questioningly. "I’ve heard of them, but you're the first I’ve ever encountered. I know little of mutants. Please, continue." Armand's eyes narrowed as he noticed the unease that Remy emanated. He had always hungered for something new, a mystery to unravel.

Remy shrugged his shoulders. "Jus' 'cause I am one, doesn' mean dat I know everyt'ing 'bout de subject." But Armand's expression urged him to at least try and explain things. "As far as I can tell it's de DNA. Mutants are born wid somet'ing called de X-factor." Slowly, he started to feel more comfortable, Armand wasn't pressuring him and he appreciated that. "At least, dat's what I read in a scientific article written by one professor Xavier."

Quietly, Armand stored away this information, which might be of use to him later. "Mutants are supposed to possess certain… gifts."

Remy's smile darkened. "Oui, but I would gladly do wit'out dem."

"What are your gifts?" Intrigued, Armand leaned forward. "Apart from those magnificent eyes?" The small compliment caused the blush to return and Armand smiled. The mystery that was Remy was slowly starting to become more tangible, but he still needed more answers. How could it be that such a handsome man would blush at the mere mention of his beauty?

"I can charge objects wid kinetic energy," Remy explained. "I rat'er not demonstrate…" Even a little explosion might draw attention and right now, he didn't feel in complete control of his senses.

"Fascinating," Armand remarked. "That would cause an explosion, am I correct?"

"Oui."

"A very effective way to defend yourself, or launch an attack." Armand bit his lip, drawing a tiny drop of blood.

Startled, Remy noticed that the puncture closed at once. Why had Armand done that? He'd realized by now that the man acted methodically, with purpose.

"Any other talents?" Armand asked wickedly. Remy was still holding back and he wanted to get to the core of this young human's feelings, desires and fears.

"Charm power," Remy admitted reluctantly.

Armand raised an eyebrow. "Does that mean what I think it means?"

In spite of the heavy tension in the room, Remy smiled. "Oui, I guess so."

"So you've put me under your spell, my friend."

Armand's teasing tone took away all the accusation he had heard in other people's voices. Men and women had reacted to the charm power and when he'd been younger, it had usually backfired on him.

"Would y' like t' be under my spell?" Remy asked in a similar tone. //Mon Dieu! What am I doin'? He's a vampire!// But he had never shied away from danger and he had never met someone like Armand.

Perhaps it had been Armand's reaction to his eyes, as he had seen them for the first time that had aroused his interest in the vampire. Never before had he encountered such complete acceptance. Armand was the first to find his eyes beautiful. //Mebbe it's true den an' I'm de devil's spawn.// Old, hurtful remarks, that the other kids had once shouted at him, still echoed in his ears. They would never go away.

"The devil's son?" Armand whispered puzzled and remembered Louis, who had asked him if they were demons, children of the devil. "My friend," Armand whispered and slowly, curled his fingers around Remy's. "Let a vampire assure you that you're not the devil's offspring."

Remy's watering eyes were fixed on Armand's fingers, which were still tightly wrapped around his. "You don' feel cold… for a corpse," he whispered in an unguarded moment. Then, Armand's remark finally reached his brain. "I always t'ought, dat de eyes…"

Armand shook his head, his expression saddened. "Do not doubt yourself, my friend."

"I've doubted m'self my entire life," Remy whispered embittered.

"You were going to share your past with me…" Armand said in an attempt to lure Remy away from his self-doubt. "Now tell me, were you born in New Orleans?"

"I don' know," Remy replied apologetically. "My parents abandoned me. All I remember is tryin' t' survive on de streets." Armand's fingers seemed to burn through Remy’s skin and he wanted to pull away, but the other man wouldn't let him. People usually didn't like to touch him, once they found out that he was a mutant and after his experiences with his charm power running loose, he preferred it that way.

"Surviving must have been hard on you, how old were you?" Armand was beginning to understand something about this man opposite him, beginning to comprehend why Remy reacted in a certain way.

"Youn'," Remy remarked, reluctantly thinking back to those days. "When I was… twelve I t'ink, Jean-Luc LeBeau adopted me." Remy looked up at Armand, but the man impatiently nodded his head for him to continue. "I had a hard time gettin' used t' havin' a family. Mon père is a good man, but…"

"He hurt you," Armand whispered passionately. "How did he do that?" He felt the sudden urge to confront the man who had willingly, or unwillingly, hurt Remy.

"He didn' mean t' hurt me," Remy explained. "He t'ought dat a marriage could settle an argument between two parties."

"And you had to marry…?"

"Belladonna," Remy whispered. "We're friends, but… I don' really love her. I've never been in love, not really." He was struggling with his words and averted his eyes. "I had t' leave 'cause I killed her brot'er."

Armand didn't react at first. The fact that Remy was responsible for someone's death didn't really change his opinion of the man. "It must have been self defense."

Remy remained quiet, his thoughts had drifted off into the past and he wished that his father had never asked him to marry Belladonna. From that moment on, everything had gone wrong.

"Remy?" Armand gently rubbed the young man's fingers, using touch to draw him away from the past.

"Oui?" Remy muttered slightly embarrassed, as he realized that he'd been staring at the candle's flame, ignoring Armand. If only he could figure out why this man, this vampire, had such a strong effect on him! It wasn't like him to confide in a stranger!

"Have more wine," Armand filled Remy's glass and offered it to him. "You look like you need it."

"Non, don' want t' get drunk," Remy protested, but weakly. Armand pressed the glass into his right hand and eventually he sipped from it. The cool liquid slid down his throat and even managed to calm him down. "Can I ask y' a personal question?" he whispered shakily. Something Armand had said continued to circle in his mind.

Armand nodded his head, but kept a tight hold on Remy's hand. "What do you wish to know?"

Remy's tone turned shy as he asked, "Y' mentioned brot'els in Italy?"

"Ah, that." Armand berated himself. He should have known Remy would ask him questions about that. There was something tingling at the edge of his mind and those thoughts originated from Remy. The images were violent and filled with horror, he had felt like that once… several life times ago.

Remy wasn't sure if Armand was going to answer his question so he continued, "Did dey…?" In the end, he couldn't speak the words.

"Rape me?" Armand finished for him. Remy's eyes revealed the truth at last and he realized he had to share more of his past to gain this young man's trust. "When we made the trip from Russia to Italy I was… sea sick and feverish. I still don't remember everything that happened, but I do know they forced me, yes. Once I had reached Italy I was taken to the brothels to… learn how to pleasure men. Is that what you wanted to know?"

Remy felt embarrassed for asking Armand that question, but the answer made him feel even more akin to this man. "I…" Mon Dieu, Armand had spoken the words so callously, had made that admission so easily and he was stumbling over his words!

Armand removed the wine glass from Remy’s suddenly nerveless hand and placed it gently on the table, then took hold of Remy's other hand and with great interest, he studied the young man's agile fingers. "That happened 500 years ago," he reminded Remy. "But for you, it's different. The pain is still raw and the scars haven't healed yet."

"How do y' know…?" he whispered ashamed.

"At times I can read your thoughts," Armand admitted honestly. "But most of the time you shield them well. I suspect that once you knew that I went through the same experiences, your subconscious decided that I might be worthy of your trust."

"What else did y' read in my mind?" Remy asked nervously.

"You're a talented thief," Armand teased and brushed Remy's left temple with his fingers.

The feather light caress sent shivers down his spine and Remy leaned into the touch. //Mon Dieu, do I really want dis?// he questioned himself, but the affection pouring off Armand was his undoing. He didn't understand why, but for some elusive reason, this vampire cared for him.

"You feel abandoned," Armand whispered into Remy's ear. "But you're not alone." Remy's eyes locked with his and Armand smiled seductively. "Your soul bleeds, my friend."

"I don' want t' feel like dis," Remy confessed, "but…"

"It's hard to trust."

"Oui."

Briefly, Armand's embittered laugh floated through the room. "Part of me remembers how you must feel, my friend."

Remy's eyes swam with tears and he gazed pleadingly into Armand's. "I don' want t' be 'lone. I need…"

"What do you need?"

Remy never noticed that Armand had moved so close to him, but as their lips touched, he tried to pull away. His instincts warned him not to tempt death.

"Do not fear me," Armand whispered in a hypnotic tone. "I mean you no harm."

"I can' believe dat…" However, Remy didn't struggle as strong arms encircled his waist in a possessive hug.

"Believe it." Slowly and with diabolical sensuality, Armand brushed Remy’s lips, tasting the salt on them, tasting the life in them. He craved this young man, not even Daniel had intrigued him like this.

Remy gave in to the sensual kiss, moaning as Armand's tongue separated his lips to gain entry to the softness inside. Rational thought quickly deserted him and he wondered if Armand possessed some charm power himself. Was this how people had felt when they had succumbed to his charm? But this time he was the victim. //A willin' victim,// he realized and quivered all over his body.

Armand pulled back and studied the young man trembling in his arms. //So willing to surrender?// he thought slightly surprised.

"Armand?" Remy shivered as Armand increased the distance between them by returning to his chair. But Armand continued to stare into his eyes and in the end Remy lowered his, had he done something wrong? Somehow offended Armand?

"Eat your dinner, your food is growing cold," Armand urged gently, he needed time to think this over. When he'd invited Remy to join him for dinner, he'd hoped the attraction might be mutual, but now…

Confused, Remy obeyed mechanically. What had happened just now? "Armand? I don' understand."

Armand's gaze softened. "I want you to finish dinner and then I'll show you Paris at night."

Remy sighed, relieved. At least Armand wasn't going to dump him here in the restaurant. But Armand's eyes monitored every bite he ate and suddenly startled, Remy wondered if Armand had changed his mind, had he been reduced to a meal of blood during these last moments? Shivering, Remy had to admit that he was growing scared.

Slowly, Remy stole a glance and noticed Armand’s contented facial expression. Armand had insisted on paying their bill at the restaurant and he hadn’t objected. Now that they were walking in silence, his eyes fixed on the silvery water of the Seine, a full moon stood above the Notre Dame and he wondered if the church was their destination. "Where are we goin’?"

Armand looked up and cocked his head. "Would you like to see my private art collection? My apartment is only minutes away."

Remy blushed. He simply couldn’t stop that particular reaction. "Armand, mebbe we should talk ‘bout t’ings first."

Armand’s questioning eyes settled on the young man. "What is there to discuss?" He gestured Remy to follow him as he chose a path, which would lead them to the Notre Dame’s entrance.

"What do y’ want from me?" Remy asked in a nervous tone.

"Your company," Armand replied truthfully and estimated that it would take them another 5 minutes to reach the impressive cathedral.

"Or my blood?" Remy halted in his tracks and hesitantly placed his right hand on Armand’s arm. "Please talk t’ me."

Armand smiled reassuringly. "When I need a victim to drink from I call on one of the murderers, who hide in this city. I told you before not to fear me."

Armand’s words reassured him, but he still wasn’t sure why he was stalling. "I guess y’ could kill me wit’in a heartbeat," he whispered eventually.

"Yes, I could," Armand admitted, "but I yearn for mortal company."

They had reached the Notre Dame and Remy was rather surprised to find the doors unlocked at this late hour.

Armand pushed open the doors, after he’d stepped inside he immediately glanced at the statues and religious paintings. "If only I could show you what I see with my vampire eyes," he murmured sadly.

Remy followed him closely and only now realized that his hand had slipped into Armand’s, whose fingers were tightly wrapped around his. How could a corpse feel this warm? At times, he almost forgot that Armand wasn’t human.

Carefully, he took off his shades to admire the interior of the cathedral. Oui, he understood the admiring glint in Armand’s eyes. "It’s magnifique," he whispered awed.

"When I was still a mortal boy, I used to paint icons," Armand revealed in a soft tone, unwilling to disturb the handful of people, who were praying. "The monks believed I had a special gift and that I should become one of them." Armand wondered why he was confiding in Remy. //Not made by human hands.// His icons had possessed such beauty that people had believed that God had guided his hands.

"Do y’ still paint?" Remy inquired, as he fell into step beside Armand. The vampire led him through the cathedral.

"No," Armand whispered and then decided to move away from this too personal topic. "Why do you want to steal the birth of Venus?"

Remy shrugged his shoulders and smiled. "Money an’ opportunity. When I heard dat it would be part of a temporary exhibition at de Louvre, I accepted de assignment t’ steal it."

They had reached the exit and thoughtfully, Armand watched Remy step outside into the night again. "You certainly have good taste then."

"Mon père sent me t’ university t’ study, wanted me t’ know how t’ tell the real masters from forgeries," he explained quietly.

"Who is your favorite artist?" Armand asked as they came to a standstill, the Seine stretching out in front of them.

"Dere are too many," Remy started, "Rembrandt, Cézanne…"

Pleased, Armand nodded his head. "Maybe we should head for my apartment then. I have collected several paintings that might interest you."

Still feeling a little bit apprehensive, Remy wavered about accepting. //Why do I feel so… insecure? I can take him out wid charged cards! I ain’t helpless!// But the lure of the unknown won in the end. "Oui, let’s go."

///

Baffled, Remy admired a genuine painting by Monet, which had greeted him as he entered Armand’s apartment. "Water Lilies, the clouds. Completed in 1903. Oil on canvas," he stated in a soft tone. The fact that Armand owned authentic work stunned him. This painting was quite valuable!

"I purchased it a long time ago," Armand replied and joined his guest. "Monet is one of my favorites." As they stood next to each other, Armand’s attention slipped away from the painting and focused on the young man’s delicate neck. Licking his lips, Armand wished he could sink his fangs into the soft flesh.

It wasn’t that he thirsted for blood, but he craved the experience itself. He wanted to hold Remy in his arms, crush him to his chest and draw just a few droplets of blood.

Remy’s skin turned to goose flesh, as he realized that Armand was taking in his appearance and in particular his neck. Shuffling his feet, he changed his position until he faced the vampire. "Why did y’ bring me here? Jus’ t’ admire y’r art collection?"

Armand took hold of Remy’s hands and guided him to the sofa. "Sit down," he instructed.

Obediently, Remy sat and waited for Armand to take the initiative. //Mon Dieu, I’m attracted t’ him!// Armand was intoxicating, pushing him towards surrender and submission and he wanted the vampire to tell him what to do.

"You’re lonely," Armand whispered and turned Remy’s hands until his eyes fixed on the inside of the young man’s elegant wrists. Somehow, Remy’s barriers had weakened and he was picking up on more and more intimate thoughts. The undertones of this young man’s desire shocked him.

"I AM alone," Remy pointed out to him and watched in fascination as Armand raised his arm, soft lips brushing his lower arm, he sucked in his breath as vampire eyes fixed on his.

"You miss your family," Armand whispered against soft skin. "And you need me to fight your loneliness."

Remy couldn’t deny the truth. "Oui, I need y’."

Armand looked up as his tongue slithered across the palm of Remy’s left hand. The young man’s body trembled with want. "Remy," he started and raised his head until he was staring into red eyes. "You want me to take you, but I can’t do that."

Swallowing hard, Remy licked his lips. "Do whatever y’ want t’ me," he stuttered helplessly, needing the contact like his lungs needed oxygen. He’d lost everything he’d ever held precious in this life and had been set adrift without friends or loved ones. Without his family, without Jean-Luc and tante, life wasn’t worth living.

"Your thoughts sadden me," Armand admitted as his lips tenderly brushed Remy’s eyes, which had closed.

Armand’s soft kisses made him moan. The vampire’s next question took him by surprise.

"Tell me what you need from me." Armand kissed those seductive lips and his hands found a way underneath Remy’s clothes. The young man’s flesh was warm and felt like silk. "And tell me the truth, my friend. I know when you’re lying," Armand chided the trembling man.

Remy moved in to Armand’s arms and was startled by the lack of a heartbeat underneath his fingertips. Armand’s long, black locks fell over his face and tenderly caressed him. "Hold me?" Remy whispered shakily.

Armand tightened the hold he had on the young man, Remy’s thoughts were filled with despair and he realized he’d tasted it before at the restaurant when Remy had willingly surrendered to his kiss. //You feel lost and you need a friend.//

Remy nuzzled Armand’s throat and buried his face in the vampire’s locks. "I must be mad!"

"Why?" Armand asked. "Because you trust me? That’s what frightens you, isn’t it?" he continued and Remy tensed up in his arms. "Yes, you trust me, but you don’t know why and that scares you."

"Oui," Remy mumbled. "I feel like I’ve known y’ for years an’ not hours."

Armand’s hands snaked up Remy’s back and then stroked in long soothing caresses. "I regret that I can’t give you what you want."

Remy freed himself of the hug and stared into Armand’s hypnotic eyes. "Can I touch y’?" he asked hesitantly, aware that Armand knew the real question underneath the request.

Armand watched him thoughtfully. "I might get caught up in my feelings for you and draw blood," he warned.

"I don’ care what y’ do t’ me," Remy repeated his earlier statement. His left hand was tugging at Armand’s clothes and finally found bare skin. Armand’s body felt like nothing he had touched before. Hard and soft, warm and cold…

"Take off your clothes," Armand instructed and leaned back in to the comfort of the couch. "But do it slowly."

Shakily, Remy got to his feet and unbuttoned his shirt. As the cold air hit his sensitive nipples, they hardened in response. Armand cocked his head approvingly and suddenly he felt shy.

"Continue," Armand urged him on.

After he’d gathered his courage, Remy unzipped his jeans and stepped out of them. Suddenly, he stood naked in the centre of Armand’s living room.

Armand noticed the unease, even a twinge of shame in Remy’s eyes and rose from the sofa to circle the young mortal. "How did you get these scars?"

Remy bit his lip. "It happened when I was livin’ on de streets."

In sudden understanding Armand wrapped his arms around him. "Finish what you started," he instructed and placed Remy’s hands on his shirt.

Nervously, Remy managed to do away with it, but as he reached for the trousers, he hesitated.

"You wanted this," Armand reminded him and sighed, as Remy’s hands freed him from the restraining fabric.

Armand’s body made his mouth water and he regretted that this man couldn’t take him. "What do y’ want t’ do?" Remy asked patiently.

Armand’s hands roamed Remy’s body and two fingers pinched an already erect nipple. He’d never imagined that one day he would be doing this again. As a vampire his pleasure originated from the surge of blood, but he’d never forgotten the way Marius had pleasured him in those early days. Briefly he smiled weakly, remembering Marius’ saddened face when he’d come for the first time, spilling the proof that he had become a man in his master’s hands.

Remy’s body twitched as Armand’s fingers slipped underneath his locks to push them away revealing more of his throat. Demanding lips brushed the skin underneath his left ear and his knees almost gave away, the sensuality with which Armand was touching him made his erection pound madly. "Armand?"

"Yes?" Armand whispered softly and then his lips suckled the other, neglected nipple.

Involuntarily, Remy arched his back at the stimulation. "Are y’ goin’ t’ kill me?"

Armand grinned as his tongue moved towards Remy’s belly button. "No," he stated. "I want you to remain mortal."

"Why?" Remy asked curiously, raising his hands, he clutched Armand’s face between them. Slowly, he sank to his knees, taking the vampire down with him.

"You are beautiful the way you are, my friend, your wounds will heal and you need to live your life."

Remy yelped as Armand slowly stroked his aching shaft, he wanted to be taken, but…"Y’r fingers…" he mumbled.

Armand’s grin turned wicked. "You want to be mine?"

"Oui," Remy groaned. He longed to surrender to this man; he didn’t want to be in control of his life any longer.

"Remy," Armand whispered and pushed the young man on to his back. One hand continued to stroke his new lover’s erect shaft and his lips found Remy’s, his tongue plunged inside and his craving for blood awakened. "I’ll give you what you need."

"An’ y’ take whatever y’ need from me," Remy whispered in a desperate tone, an ecstatic moan left his lips as one of Armand’s finger, slick with precum, slid into his body. "Oui," he groaned and pushed down, eager to take in more.

Armand’s eyes flashed dangerously, sensing Remy’s desperate response, as he slid a second finger inside, his eyes studied the young man’s reactions. //You are close to release,// he realized.

Remy panted hard, as Armand continued the stimulation. Finally, he raised his head in a desperate effort to kiss the vampire. Fire flowed through his veins and his body convulsed as he came in the palm of Armand’s hand. "Armand," he whispered, shocked at his own surrender.

Armand couldn’t keep back any longer and sank his fangs in to Remy’s neck.

Spasms racked Remy’s body as something sharp and cold cut through his skin. The cold ripped through his mind and finally he realized that Armand was holding him tightly, drinking his blood. He couldn’t move his head to lock eyes with the vampire as Armand’s teeth were deeply buried underneath his jaw.

//I don’ regret dis,// he thought, as Armand drank his warm blood. //I wanted dis an’ knew de price I had t’ pay. Mebbe dyin’ in his arms ain’t dat bad.//

//I am not going to kill you.//

Armand’s thoughts suddenly crashed into his mind and shocked, Remy's heart missed a beat.

//You are too young to become my fledgling,// Armand drew in one last taste of this beautiful young man and then released him. Carefully, he licked his lips.

"I can hear y’r thoughts!" Remy whispered softly, incredulously. His body felt crushed and his mind refused to work properly, incapable of movement he stared at Armand, who was kneeling beside him.

"Yes, a telepathic link is forming." Armand recomposed himself, the moment had taken him and now he was pondering the consequences of his deed. Slowly, with infinite tenderness, he used his fingernail to open a vein near his wrist. "We’re going to finish what we started," he said firmly. "Drink."

Horrified, Remy stared at the dark blood, clinging to the small wound.

"Drink," Armand repeated and pressed his wrist to Remy’s lips. //Only a few drops, my friend. Drink a few drops. That’s all I ask of you.//

Unable to resist, his lips sucked and Armand’s blood slid down his throat. //What am I doin’?// But the warmth that finally settled in to his veins, took away his fears and he fed off Armand until the vampire pulled away.

//Enough!// Armand roared the word into his mind. Paralysed, Remy remained motionless. What had he just done? //Mon Dieu! I drank his blood!// Slowly, the realization of what had happened set in. //Why did y’do dat?//

//Because I somehow KNOW that we will one day need this link,// Armand explained and pushed his hands underneath Remy’s knees and back. Tenderly, Armand lowered him on to the couch. //After you’ve rested, you’ll go back to your hotel to retrieve your personal belongings. You will stay at my apartment. Understood?//

"Oui," Remy mumbled exhausted.

Armand covered his new lover’s trembling body with his heavy cloak. As he pushed back Remy’s damp locks, he wondered why he’d allowed this young mortal to drink his blood. Only time would tell.

///

Warm beams of sunlight woke Remy early the next morning, opening his eyes, he wondered where the hell he was. This wasn’t his hotel room! His body hurt and his neck and throat ached dully. Suddenly, he remembered where he was and who had taken him here.

"Armand," he whispered in a tone filled with longing. The vampire had given him everything he’d needed last night and was now nowhere in sight. "Oui, told me he couldn’ deal wid sun light." Armand had surely gone into hiding and Remy shivered. Did vampires really sleep in coffins? "Ain’t sure I should ask him dat!" he mused, slightly frightened, but determined not to give into the feeling.

The first thing he did was to pay a visit to the bathroom. He sighed, seeing the luxurious bath tub. Maybe… then his eyes met the mirror and he flinched, two bright puncture wounds marked the spot where Armand had buried his fangs in his flesh. "It really happened," he whispered, as if trying to convince himself that it hadn’t all been an erotic dream.

Mon Dieu! Armand had woken desires in him he never knew existed and now Armand had even given him a choice, to comply and hurry back here after checking out of the hotel, or to leave and never return to this apartment.

Remy ran some warm water over a washcloth and pushed it against his throat, trying to soothe the irritated skin there. He still vividly remembered the sting of Armand’s teeth. Armand could have killed him in that instant, sucking him dry, but he hadn’t.

"An’ I drank his blood!" Remy exclaimed as he stepped into the shower. He couldn’t return to the hotel looking like this. "His blood, merde…" What did it mean? Why had Armand made that decision?

"De link… I heard his t’oughts," Remy whispered as a warm stream of water hit his sensitive skin. Closing his eyes he remembered, Armand’s hands slithering all over his body and he quivered with desire. Would Armand seek him out tonight? Would they spend the evening together?

Drying his skin, he peeked at his mirror image and was shocked to see his burning eyes. Quickly, he turned away and collected his clothes. He had a lot to think about.

///

Armand sensed that the sun was about to set and got to his feet. His dreams had been filled with delightful images of a red-eyed mutant. As he walked over to his wardrobe to slip into another set of clothes, he considered the young man whom he’d taken as his new lover. //Lover!// he chided himself. //It’s his decision, not mine. I will know once I reach the apartment. If he isn’t there…//

Taking his time Armand selected the clothes he was going to wear tonight. Daniel had taught him well about modern times and he grinned, slipping into his Levi’s. Daniel had bought them for him, together with the black silk shirt and black leather coat, which he would also wear tonight.

Briefly, he considered cutting off his hair, knowing it would be back to its normal length the next time woke. Armand smiled fondly, remembering the time when he’d discovered what a video camera was. Daniel had been shocked when the young man had found several tapes, which he had made while he’d been asleep in his coffin. It had been curiosity on his part; he’d wanted to know what he looked like in his sleep.

After he combed his hair, Armand decided to let his locks hang loose on his shoulders. Remy had seemed to like it that way. //Remy…// he sighed and slipped into his boots.

Gazing at his reflection, Armand wondered if this change in clothing would please Remy. //Immortal idiot,// he chided himself, using Daniel’s words. Why did he always chase after things he couldn’t have? If Remy agreed to stay with him, it would only be temporary. The young man needed to heal before he could live his life.

It would take him 30 minutes to get back to the apartment and then he would find out what Remy had decided. For the first time in over a hundred years, Armand felt nervous.

///

Remy placed his bag and suitcase in the corridor. The apartment was empty and he quickly familiarized himself with the layout. The kitchen didn’t have any food supplies and he made a mental note to get some groceries later. "What de hell am I doin’ here?"

He still couldn’t answer that question. Maybe it was because Armand was the only ‘friend’ he had right now, perhaps because he hungered for the return of the ecstasy Armand had introduced him to. No matter what it was, he needed Armand close.

Remy sat down on the couch and mentally replayed everything that had happened here last night. It was hard to explain what had made him scream with ecstasy; feeling Armand’s fingers penetrating his body or the fangs claiming him as a vampire’s lover.

If only Armand wasn’t such a mystery to him! He would have understood if Armand had expressed the desire to kill him, to suck him dry, but the vampire had vehemently denied such intentions. Instead, he’d explained that he hungered for human companionship.

"Why did I have t’ leave N'Awlins?" he whispered in a trembling voice. Compared to his current situation, dealing with the assassins had been child’s play! Tante Mattie would spank him for consorting with the dead, unholy demons… but if Armand was a demon why did the man make him feel so loved and wanted?

His thoughts circled like that for over two hours and eventually he stormed outside to get something to eat. As luck would have it, a number of super markets were located nearby and he took his time picking the things he might need later. Satisfied, Remy paid for the groceries and walked back to the apartment, now and then selecting a strawberry from his bag and eating it.

"Should tell him t’ get better locks!" Remy muttered privately. The door had been open when he’d returned from the hotel, but even if it had been locked it would have taken him only a minute to pick it. Then, his senses warned him that he wasn’t alone in the room. "Armand?" he whispered.

"Yes." Armand switched on the lights, more out of habit than need, but seeing Remy flinch he dimmed them. "Are your eyes that sensitive?" He even managed to lock out the relief, knowing that Remy had chosen to be with him.

"Oui," Remy moaned, slowly growing more accustomed to the light. Biting his lip, he studied Armand, who looked incredibly different. "De black suit y’ wore yesterday suited y’ a lot better."

"But I’ve worn it for too many years," Armand replied and smiled. "It took me a long time to accept the time that we are living it and occasionally, like yesterday, I feel the need to dwell in my memories, but today…"

Remy swallowed hard, caught by the sight of Armand’s long hair dancing on his shoulders when the vampire approached him. "Do y’ still want me t’ stay here?" he inquired, trying hard to sound casual.

Armand nodded "I see you have made your decision," and pointed at the suitcase. Slowly, he wrapped one arm around Remy’s waist and pulled him close enough for a kiss.

"Armand?" Remy started, but the vampire silenced him by vigorously kissing his lips.

"What are your plans for tonight, beloved?" Armand asked and traced the outline of Remy’s lips with his fingers. Surprised, he hissed as Remy greedily suckled on them.

"Make love t’ me," Remy whispered seductively.

"No, not tonight," Armand decided. "I fed off you yesterday. Today you must rest."

"Mais…" Remy objected, but Armand’s expression silenced him.

"Trust me, beloved. I know what’s best for you." Armand brushed his lips and caressed the soft auburn locks. "A compromise then."

"Compromise?" Remy did his best not to look too smug.

"I will change my clothes, as will you. We will visit L’Opéra tonight and see a splendid performance of La Traviata." Armand watched his lover’s eyes. "Or do you dislike…"

"Non!" Remy explained, "but…"

"I want to be seen with you, Remy, I want to show you Paris and take you wherever your heart desires, but…" and Armand paused a moment to stress the importance of his next statement. "Don’t expect me to feed off you every night; don’t expect this to be a physical relationship."

In silence, Remy’s eyes pleaded for an explanation. Sighing, Armand gave in. "You’re so young, beloved. You shouldn’t be this eager to die."

Remy bowed his head. "I can’ help how I feel," he whispered brokenly.

"I will change that," Armand stated determinedly. "But we need to get changed now. I don’t want to be late."

///

"Dat was… " Remy’s eyes sparkled and his voice throbbed with enthusiasm. "T’ink we can go tomorrow as well?"

Armand smiled in return, as he walked his mortal lover back to his apartment. They could have taken a cab or the metro, but he wanted to be in the open air. "Of course."

Remy looked up and in a futile attempt, started counting the stars. "How long will y’ be stayin’ in Paris?"

"I don’t know," Armand replied honestly. "Maybe I will travel to Italy in a few weeks."

"Italy?" Remy halted and cocked his head.

"Venice," Armand clarified and amused, pulled Remy closer to his body. "Would you like to accompany me?"

Remy closed his eyes, savoring the sensation of Armand’s fingers caressing his bare back. Those vampire fingers seemed fond of his skin. "Oui, if y’ still want me by den."

Armand ignored Remy’s comment, which had been filled with self-doubt. "You will sleep in my arms tonight and all the other nights that will follow, beloved."

"Dat’s somet’ing else." Remy queried. "Why use dat old-fashioned word?"

"Because I am old," Armand reminded him, but smiled in return. "What do you prefer?" he asked, continuing before Remy had a chance to reply, "Love? Cher? Darling?"

Remy chuckled. Armand had given him some odd looks once he had started calling the vampire cher. "’kay, y’ made y’r point," he conceded, longing to fall asleep in Armand’s arms.

///

They traveled a lot during the next 12 months. First, they visited Italy. Rome, Milan, Venice, staying at the best hotels. Remy made sure no one harmed Armand’s body during the day and at night he slipped into his lover’s possessive arms. They made love in their own unique way, each giving the other what he needed most.

After visiting Italy, Armand decided that he wanted to go to Turkey and Remy agreed happily. It had always been one of his dreams and hopes to travel the world. This was his chance.

One night, after Armand had risen from his death-like sleep, he found his lover on the balcony. It was a hot evening the temperature refusing to drop and Remy was only wearing a T-shirt. Armand took the time to study his lover, during this last year Remy had become more focused and his sense of his self- doubt, maybe even self- hate, had diminished rapidly. Saddened, Armand realized that Remy would leave him soon. The younger man had healed, had found a way to deal with the pain that people had inflicted upon him during his short life. Now the time had come for Remy to stand on his own two feet. He didn’t want to lose Remy, but knew from painful experience that he shouldn’t stand in his lover’s way. If this was about true love, Remy would one day find his way back to him.

However, one thing worried him, each time they had made love he had fed on Remy’s blood. Once his craving had subdued, he had allowed Remy a small amount of his blood as well. He wasn’t sure what would happen if Remy died unexpectedly. Would his vampire blood trigger the transformation? What if he wasn’t there to complete the process?

//Y’re worried,// Remy thought and looked up to greet his lover. The link had strengthened slowly more each month and it had become nearly impossible to shield his thoughts. He knew that Armand experienced the same problem. //Armand, cher…// Remy got to his feet and slung his arms around his lover. He’d shed any fear he’d ever felt for this vampire within a month of being together with him.

//When will you leave?// Armand asked and refused to acknowledge the pain that sliced through his heart.

"Leave?" Remy repeated softly. He’d hoped to avoid this subject tonight.

"Remy, when will you learn that you cannot deceive me?" Armand chided, but couldn’t repress his pleased tone. Remy had taught him to love again and part of love was the pain of saying goodbye. He had to set Remy free.

"I… cher… I don’ want t’ leave y’, mais…" Remy stuttered.

Armand sighed. "First Daniel leaves me and now you’re going to do the same thing."

"Cher," Remy kissed Armand’s lips, his hands tangling in the long auburn hair. "Je t’aime, you know dat!"

"Yes, I do," Armand smiled sadly. "I'm grateful that I could help you heal, Remy."

"Dis ain’t adieu forever!" Remy protested fiercely.

//Live your life, beloved,// Armand thought gently. //Don’t forget me and should you ever want to return to my arms, call me. I will hear your thoughts, no matter where you are.//

//Merci, cher,// Remy replied and buried his face one last time in Armand’s clothes.

"Where are you going next?" Armand inquired, committing Remy’s face to memory.

"Egypt… Cairo probably." Remy’s tear filled eyes locked with his lover’s. //I will miss y’// came the mental cry.

//And I will miss you too.// Armand pulled away from Remy and nodded his head. "I will always love you," he whispered and seeing Remy about to reply, he shook his head. "No more parting words. I need to hunt tonight, be gone before I return."

Armand’s words were filled with pain and love and Remy almost changed his mind. "Je suis désolé," he whispered, but knew better than to expect an answer from Armand. He had made his choice. Now, he had to follow through and gather his things.

///

Years later, Gambit looked out over the lake at the X-Men’s mansion and listened to Rogue’s fading footsteps. Their relationship was over and Remy wondered if she’d ever truly loved him and like many years ago, he was once again the outsider, with no friends left. Lonely, he stared at his reflection in the lake’s surface and wondered if it wouldn’t be best to end this torment right here and now. All he had to do was to walk into the water and never stop.

The cold water crept slowly up his torso. His mind had stopped processing the protest his common sense was making. This was the right thing to do. The X-Men no longer wanted him around. The trial had shown that clearly. He’d been a fool for sticking around! He coughed as the water reached his lips. Briefly, he considered returning to the shore, but quickly he decided against it. //Jus’ keep on walkin’!//

"What the hell do ya think yer doin’?" A loud voice demanded to know.

Hands grabbed him roughly and he lost his footing and as the water closed over his head, he panicked.

"Gotcha bub, now stop fightin’ me!" Logan struggled to maintain the hold he had on the barely conscious Cajun. He’d followed Rogue, just to make sure things wouldn’t get out of hand after she had ended the relationship. He had stuck around to see how Gambit would react. During the years that they had been on the team together, he had begun to respect the former thief and he couldn’t just stand by as Remy walked into the water. The Cajun’s death wish had been way too obvious.

"Let go, Logan!" Remy demanded, but was unable to fight off his savior.

"Nope, yer too young to die," Logan countered, finally managing to drag the young man onto the shore. "Don’t move!" he instructed as he checked Remy’s body for injuries. "I’m takin’ ya ta the med lab. You need ta get warm!"

"Don’," Remy pleaded and hugged his cold and wet body. "Why couldn’ y’ look ‘way? Would have solved all our problems!"

"Don’t start with me!" Logan berated the shivering Cajun. "Why don’t ya fight back instead of lettin’ them push ya around?"

Remy bowed his head. "I don’ want t’ fight back all my life."

"Remy," Logan said, as he sat on his heels. "There has to be somethin’, someone worth living for. Suicide ain’t the answer."

A name, almost forgotten, struggled for attention in his mind and Remy suddenly nodded his head. "Oui, dere’s someone, but… I deserted him a lon’ time ago."

Logan looked puzzled. "Do I know him?"

"Non, y’ don’," Remy explained and shivered as a cold breeze moved through his wet clothes, making him feel chilled to the bone.

Logan correctly interpreted the expression on Remy’s face. The depression had momentarily lifted and he pulled the Cajun to his feet. "C’mon, let’s get ya back ta the mansion."

"Logan," Remy started as he slowly fell in to step next to the shorter man. "Have y’ ever t’rown away love?"

Logan eyed him inquiringly, finding guilt staring back at him from Remy’s eyes. "Did ya do that?"

"Oui," Remy replied and rubbed his hands over his body in an effort to get a little warmer. "I was such a fool back den. Didn’ recognize love when it stared right in my face!"

"We all make mistakes," Logan said reassuringly. "Live and learn, kid."

Remy shook his head. "I made a mistake dat will haunt me for de rest of my life."

"Can’t ya give this guy a call?" Logan suggested and rested a soothing hand on the Cajun’s back. "Ya need someone ta be there for ya right now, Remy. I don’t plan on pullin’ ya outa the lake again."

"It’s dis place, " Remy whispered and shivered at the sight of the mansion. "I can feel dat no one wants me here."

"That ain’t true," Logan pointed out to him. "The X-Men made mistakes too."

"Non, dey didn’," Remy objected. "Had every right t’ condemn me for workin’ wid Sinister."

Logan was about to object to that statement, when he caught movement in the trees to his right. His claws appeared and he sniffed the air. The mansion’s security system should have picked up any intruders on the premises. Remy however, seemed oblivious and raved on.

"Ain’t goin’ t’ stay here, Logan," Remy stated determinedly.

"Kid," Logan growled and pointed the trees out to him. "We ain’t alone here."

Immediately, his training kicked in and Remy reached for a card to charge. "Who is it, mon ami?"

"Don’ know… I can’t pick up a real scent," Logan growled, displeased.

Remy shivered. His ‘bath’ earlier would surely result in a cold or worse and he just wanted to get to his room to change his clothes and dry his hair. Something vaguely familiar tugged at the edges of his mind and startled, he sucked in his breath. His senses had to be deceiving him!

"Remy?" The soft, velvet like voice held concern and affection.

"Ya know him?" Logan asked in a suspicious tone. As Remy nodded his head, Logan’s eyes narrowed. "Who is it?"

"Armand," Remy whispered in a lost tone. A figure, clad in black clothes, appeared in front of the trees. "Mon Dieu," Remy mumbled, unable to believe that the vampire had come for him. He’d tried so hard NOT to think of Armand. The way Remy saw it, he had forfeited this love when he’d left Armand in Turkey. His life had gone downhill from that moment on.

Armand ignored the shorter man at Remy’s side. He’d witnessed the rescue and if it hadn’t been for this Wolverine, he would have pulled Remy out of the water himself. "Beloved," he said firmly, loving the sudden laughter in Remy’s eyes.

"Beloved?" Logan repeated flabbergasted, as his claws retracted. Apparently, this man presented no danger. However he was going to keep a close watch on both men.

"Dis is de man I told y’ about," Remy explained. "We were lover’s once." Fatigue and resignation echoed in his voice. Why had he left Armand in the first place? No one had ever loved and accepted him like Armand had.

Armand smiled seductively, but still kept his distance. "We are still lovers, Remy," he said steadfastly. It saddened him that Remy hadn’t called him, and now, he realized that it had been a good thing to establish the link all those years ago. It had enabled him to track Remy down once the thief’s thoughts had turned distorted. Worried for Remy’s mental health he’d decided to travel to the X-Men’s mansion.

"Armand? Y’ really came for me?" Gentle surprise sounded in his voice. "After what I did t’ y’?"

Slowly, Armand advanced on the two men. The moment Wolverine would try and meddle with their affairs he would take care of this X-Man. He needed to talk to Remy now and no one was going to stop him. "The link told me that you needed me."

Logan took a step aside and watched the two men closely. He smelled Remy’s excitement, but this stranger carried no scent at all.

"I can’ believe dat y’re here," Remy confessed and fought the urge to fling himself into Armand’s possessive arms. Did Armand still want him? Impossible! But deep inside his heart he knew that Armand still loved him, would always love him.

"Have you made your decision?" Armand inquired. "Are you ready to take your place at my side?"

Remy swallowed hard. He wanted nothing more than to return to Armand, to make it up to the vampire for deserting him. "I was a fool," he admitted shakily.

"Remy, ya can’t do this," Logan growled. "Yer an X-Men!"

"Get it over with!" Another voice called out from the cover of the trees. "Armand, just take him!"

Wavering between amusement and annoyance, Armand hissed his reply, "Lestat, keep out of this!" He already regretted giving in to the other vampire, but Lestat’s interest in Remy had been aroused and Armand suspected that Lestat would have sought Remy out with or without his permission.

"Come on, Armand!" Lestat called out as he revealed himself. "You want him and he wants you. There’s no need to be this theatrical!"

Remy raised an eyebrow, remembering the things Armand had once told him about other vampires. Armand had mentioned Lestat’s name as well. He’d never given much thought to how the other vampires might react to Armand taking a mortal lover.

Lestat watched in growing amusement; trust Armand to find such a delicate young man and then to let him slip away. The glowing red on black eyes fascinated him. "If you don’t make your move, Amadeo, he’s mine!"

Armand turned around, hearing his old name. "He’s mine," he berated Lestat, before realizing that the other vampire was doing this to force him into making a decision.

"Armand?" Remy took a step closer, quivering as he remembered the passion they had once shared. "I want t’ be wid y’."

Logan couldn’t believe Remy had actually spoken those words. "Bub, don’t…" But Remy cut him short.

"I ain’t an X-Man," he started in a soft tone. "I can’ stay here." Slowly, he squeezed Logan’s hand, which still rested on his shoulder. "I love Armand an’ for some unknown reason he loves me back. I ain’t goin’ t’ make dis mistake a second time."

Saddened and angered at the same time, Logan shook off Remy’s hand. "Yer makin’ a mistake by leavin’ de X-Men!"

"Non, I’m makin’ de right choice for once," Remy replied steadfastly, his eyes begging Logan to try and understand. "Tell dem dat I drowned in de lake. Rogue will feel relieved an’ the oders won’t mind bein’ rid off a traitor."

"That ain’t true!" Logan tried to reach the Cajun one last time. "Don’t do this!"

"I have to!" Remy exclaimed and trembled as Armand appeared behind him. Those long, delicate hands caressed his neck and he sighed. "I am his," he explained.

"And I am yours," Armand affirmed. He gently brushed the place underneath Remy’s left ear where he used to draw blood. Coming here to claim his lover had been a risk. Remy might have denied him, but… "I will hold you in my arms day and night."

"Oh please!" Lestat exclaimed impatiently. "Armand, you’ll never change!"

"Just ignore him," Armand advised Remy. "Lestat can be a nuisance."

"A nuisance?" Lester repeated in mock shock. "You’re even worse than Louis!" Turning his back to them, he grinned. It would certainly be interesting to see Armand and this beautiful human argue and as he walked away from the mansion, he wondered if Armand would ever ask him to give Remy the Dark Gift.

If not, he would offer it. That way the telepathic link between them would remain intact. Grinning, Lestat wondered what kind of vampire Remy would make. His ancient blood would make Remy strong and the other vampires wouldn’t like the fact that he’d made a fledgling. That was another reason to go ahead and propose it! Lestat was truly enjoying himself!

Logan had realized by now that Remy had made up his mind. "I’ll miss ya, kid." Remy smiled and shocked, Logan noted that it was the first genuine smile since Antarctica. Maybe Armand was what the Cajun needed after all. "Keep in touch, bub," he whispered and watched in silence, as Armand wrapped his arms around the shivering thief.

"Come with me, beloved," Armand whispered and crushed the young man to his chest. "It’s time to come home." Armand led his lover away from the mansion and sensed Logan’s eyes on his back. //This one cares for you.//

"Je sais," Remy admitted. It shocked him to hear Armand’s thoughts once more in his mind. Mon Dieu! How he had missed that! "Did I make de right decision?" he asked aloud.

//You can find the answer in your heart,// Armand whispered into his mind.

"My heart," Remy repeated softly. "Rogue broke it."

"And I will mend it," Armand vowed in a determined voice.

///

"Dead?" Jean whispered stunned. "Remy can’t be dead!"

"I’m sorry," Logan grunted. He hated doing this to them, but he had decided to respect Remy’s wishes. "He drowned." After making that statement, Logan walked to his room and sat down on his bed. He didn’t want to hear the discussion going on in the dining room.

Shocked, Xavier stared at his pupils, Storm was crying softly and it looked like Jean was barely able to keep back her own pain. Warren didn’t react verbally, but his eyes carried a guilty expression. Scott and Hank remained silent, wondering what they could have done to prevent this suicide.

"Swamp rat made his decision," Rogue said eventually and shrugged her shoulders. "Told ya that he wanted ta die."

"No," Xavier said, breaking the awkward silence. "The truth is that we failed him."

///

"It feels good to have you this close again," Armand whispered and pulled Remy closer. Lestat had discovered the joys of Nintendo and was shouting loudly at the screen. Armand had fled the living room, only to find Remy wrapped up in thick towels in the bedroom. Armand had seated himself behind Remy and was now pulling him into his lap. Remy leaned into the embrace.

"I missed y’," Remy admitted in a strangled tone. "Mais… what about de oders? Y’ once told me…"

"Lestat finds you fascinating… I even detect a jealous expression at times," Armand revealed. "I guess he’s angry that he didn’t find you first."

"An’ Daniel?" Remy turned in the embrace and faced his lover.

"He will accept this." Armand’s voice carried determination. "They won’t defy me."

Hungrily, Remy caressed Armand’s soft skin and slipped his hands into position behind the vampire’s neck. "Make love t’ me like we used t’ do?" he begged in a pleading tone.

"And I get to watch!" Lestat quipped from the doorway.

Armand raised his eyes and they locked with Lestat’s. "Go and find yourself a lover of your own. Remy’s mine!"

Lestat grinned. "Now there’s an idea! Maybe I’ll go back to the mansion. That Logan looked…" Remy’s big eyes made him burst out laughing. Chuckling, Lestat closed the door.

"He’s just trying to bait you," Armand soothed in a tender voice. "Lestat is bored and when he gets bored he becomes… irritating."

The sounds coming from the living room indicated that Lestat had moved on to the computer and was enjoying himself playing Quake.

"Do you still want me to make love to you?" Armand pressed a kiss to the inside of Remy’s left wrist.

"Like we used t’ do, oui," Remy confirmed. "I’ll never again desert y’," he promised passionately. Armand’s fangs brushed his throat and he arched his back in want. "Take me," he whispered.

"I will," Armand whispered in Remy’s ear. "I’ll take you every night for the rest of my life. I’ll never let you go again."

Surprised, Remy noted the words Armand had used. //Y’r life?//

//One day you’ll be like me,// Armand replied. //You’re the companion I have always needed. Together, we will face eternity.//

Remy licked his lips, hearing that promise. "Je t’aime, Armand," he whispered and sucked in a breath as Armand’s fangs drove themselves into his flesh.

//We belong together,// Armand sent into his lover’s mind and stared into Remy’s eyes. //Fly with me to eternity on black wings. I will always love you, beloved.//

Sighing heavily, Remy surrendered and wished for time to stand still. Oui, he belonged with Armand and suddenly his mind raced towards Armand’s on his lover’s dark wings.

The end.