TIPS FOR BEATING WRITER’S BLOCK

Compiled off the Makebelieve lists

 

Try going back and re-reading what you have. It is entirely possible you have gone somewhere that the characters are unwilling to go. You must be certain that you are going where they want and not where you want them to go. Forcing them will get you absolutely nowhere. An uncooperative character can be the most obnoxious creature alive.

 

Remember, the writer may play god of his/her particular universe, but the players still must have freedom of choice... kind of like real life to... keep from becoming flat, and silent.  (Yes, a character does pout if you ignore their needs. And a pouting character will not tell you his/her story until you have met the direction that he wants to go)

 

Once when I (Cyn) got really serious block, I threatened to kill them all off cuz they weren't talking. I mean plane crash in Duncan's dojo, beheadings all around, lights out all over the western seaboard . . .Lo and behold! They started to speak again <smirk>

 

Might be that the characters talking over your shoulder are not the ones you think they are. You have been well-seated in their universe, but might these unusual actions be a telling point begging for new discovery. If you can't get them to go where you want, double check. They might have come to you in disguise and are now leading you in their sneaky manner into their actual plane of existence.