TITLE: "BENEATH THE SKIN"

AUTHOR: Alison M. DOBELL

FANDOM: "HIGHLANDER"/"WOLF LAKE" crossover

PAIRING: Duncan MacLeod/Tyler Creed

RATING: NC-17 *SLASH*

STATUS: New.

ARCHIVE: Yes. Just let me know where.

FEEDBACK: Welcomed

EMAIL: AlisonMDobell@aol.com

SERIES/SEQUEL: SEQUEL to "MAKE AND MEND"

WEBSITE: http://www.carlajane.50megs.com/Ali00.html

SUMMARY: "Duncan spends the night. Tyler begins to wrestle with the implications of this new relationship."

The usual disclaimers apply. No infringement of copyright is intended.


"BENEATH THE SKIN"
A "Highlander"/"Wolf Lake" story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL

She would have taken a train but nothing on wheels seemed to go there. Her name was Simone and she had travelled a long way to get this far. She was not going to turn back now just because of a bit of snow. According to her calculations she was only a few hours away from Wolf Lake but it might as well have been the other side of the county. Simone thought. Considered the country she was in, the farms and scattered homes. It was still snowing and the temperature was dropping. There were deep drifts everywhere making it treacherous. She turned and headed for the general store. If she could pick up some snow shoes she would go the rest of the way on foot. There was no option when the past was calling to her.

* * * * *

"How do you feel?"

Tyler stirred to find strong arms wrapped gently round him. Duncan smiled and kissed him lightly, a hand brushing down his right side. Carefully avoiding his injured side. He bent his head and dropped gentle kisses on the cuts on his right shoulder and cheek, licking and kissing them as if he could heal them with a touch.

"I thought you would have gone."

For some reason that amused him. "Why would you think that?"

The lips brushed his right nipple. Tyler stirred as if to sit up. Duncan kissed his neck and cheek then nuzzled his ear before kissing it so gently it made him shiver. He could feel Duncan's smile as he lightly licked his ear and sucked on the lobe. "You must have been going somewhere before
you stopped here."

"Why wouldn't I be coming here?"

Tyler snorted softly. "Wolf Lake? The only time we get visitors is in the tourist season or when somebody gets lost."

Duncan slid a leg over Tyler's right leg and dropped his hand lower.

"Maybe I'm lost." He murmured.

Tyler Creed closed his eyes as Duncan gently stroked him. He had to get up. There were things he had to do and if he stayed out of town much longer the pack would come looking for him. He growled in the back of his throat and Duncan found himself getting more and more turned on. He slid his tongue right into Tyler's ear canal and blew a teasing breath as he picked up a gentle but insistent rythym on the younger man's cock making him shudder. "You are insatiable, Mac."

He chuckled. "Then feed me, Ty."

"I don't..."

Duncan gently rolled over him, holding himself inches off the other man as he dipped his head to kiss him on the lips. He felt the groan tremble through him as the kiss deepened then he felt Tyler's hand slide down to hold him, his touch so beautiful. He wanted him and not when the bandages came off either. But now. They made love slowly, Duncan careful not to trigger the change. Tyler was impressed with how well the older man read his body, how wonderful he made him feel. Once they had finished he reluctantly got out of bed. Duncan propped himself up on an elbow and watched him. "You know you shouldn't get up yet. Another few day's rest will do you the world of good."

He watched Tyler pad into the en suite bathroom on light feet. The door left open so they could carry on talking. Duncan shifted so he could keep Tyler in view, admiring the rear view almost as much as the front. The shower was switched on. Duncan got up and sidled up behind him. Leaned close enough to kiss the back of his neck, washing his tongue back and forth over the nape. Tyler shuddered. It felt so good. The Highlander smiled. "Need some help?"

"If I have that kind of help I'll never get up."

Duncan smiled and looked down Tyler's chest then stroked a fingernail down the soft penis making his partner moan and step aside. "Oh I don't know Ty, looks easy enough to me."

Tyler chuckled and shook his head. "You have a one track mind, Mac, but I really *do* have to shower and get dressed."

He nodded. "Okay, I'm sorry. I'll behave now. Why don't you go ahead with your shower and I'll heat up something to eat."

"You cook?"

A grin appeared. "I've had hundreds of years to practice."

"Yeah, but are you any good?"

Duncan leaned into the shower, not caring that the water drenched his hair and dripped down his face soaking his unbound hair. He stole a slow kiss and broke away reluctantly. "It's stew."

Tyler was surprised. "Stew?"

"Lots of red meat."

He nodded and smiled his approval. "Oh."

Duncan watched Tyler begin to soap himself under the water jet and moved back quickly before he forgot his manners and just took him standing. When he got to the kitchen he put the oven on then rumaged around for some filter coffee. By the time Tyler had showered and got dressed Duncan had laid the table and lit a couple of candles. Tyler stood for a moment and just stared.
All Duncan was wearing was a grin. Tyler scratched his chin, his eyes drifting to openly appraise him. Duncan feigned disappointment. "What?

Don't tell me you're not hungry?"

Tyler shook his head gently and walked over to the far side of the table, drew out the chair slowly and laughed very lightly. His movements fascinated Duncan. He was so graceful, almost feline. Could wolves be feline? Seeing Tyler answered that question. Tyler watched him go to the stove and take the hot dish out. He then ladled a generous portion of stew into two bowls and returned to the table. He placed one bowl in front of Tyler the other just to his right. Tyler looked down at the food. "Where's my spoon?"

"You don't need one."

He frowned, sniffed the bowl. "It smells delicious."

"Thank you."

He looked at Duncan, noticed he had a spoon. "You're going to eat in front of me?"

Duncan chuckled at the incredulous note creeping into his lover's voice. Remembering that he was the alpha male of his clan. The head of the wolf pack. "No. I am going to feed you."

The look on Tyler's face was absolutely priceless. "You are what?"

"Relax. The stew's hot but I rarely ever miss."

He was about to ask him what he meant when Duncan showed him. He dipped his spoon in Tyler's bowl and selected a juicy chunk of beef but instead of offering it to Tyler he popped it into his own mouth. Before Tyler could protest he kissed him on the lips then gently fed the meat to him as he opened his startled mouth. Tyler blinked. Felt Duncan's tongue caressing his, brushing the meat and juices around inside his mouth so the food also tasted of Duncan MacLeod. Tyler's breath was quickening. It felt so erotic. Duncan pulled back with a kiss and licked the gravy off Tyler's lips as he watched the young man chew the meat and slowly swallow. Their eyes locked on each other. If he had to describe Tyler's expression he would have said it was stunned.

"Now," Said Duncan as he chose another piece. "Doesn't that taste better?"

* * * * *

Joe found lodgings up the street. He looked around the boarding room and noted that it was spotlessly clean if basic. Perfect for his needs. He did not plan to be here long. A few days at most. He crossed to the window and looked out. The street was quiet. Perhaps it was the hush of being snow bound but he did not think so. He felt a tingling sensation and was instantly alert. His eyes narrowed. He parted the net a little more but could see no reason for the warning. Just as quickly as the flicker came it went. He had been intending to lie down and get a little sleep. Sleep
was now the last thing on his mind.

* * * * *

Tyler was beginning to feel light headed. He had not been courted this beautifully in all his life and certainly never before by another man. He was halfway through his bowl of stew, savouring another piece of meat, trying to work out what else Duncan had put in it. "This is really good, Mac. I can't place all the flavours..."

Duncan smiled and gave him a proper kiss, lingering as he probed him with his tongue to drag it out. When he pulled back the smile was so gentle and playful that Tyler's breath caught. "I made the gravy with red wine."

His eyes widened.

"I hope you don't mind? It was a good year."

Tyler laughed, pushed his bowl to one side and reached for Duncan. The kiss was deep and becoming fierce, passions igniting and burning bright in them both. Duncan put out the candles with the thumb and index finger of his right hand and moved the items off the table onto one of the chairs without breaking away from Tyler's kiss. Then he swept the cloth off and pulled

Tyler onto the table. The young man could not break off to speak, to ask him what he thought he was doing. It was all fevered hands and lips now, Duncan aching to get him out of his clothes in the shortest time possible but Tyler had the advantage. Duncan was already naked and if Tyler had learnt one thing above all others it was to sieze the moment. As he was half pulled and half dragged up on to the table, Tyler twisted at the last moment and reached for Duncan. His aim sure and determined.

This time Duncan lost his breath. Tyler broke off the kiss and went down on Duncan, his lips opening to take him in, his tongue washing his budding erection and teasing it into life as he sucked and worked him in his mouth. Duncan groaned, felt himself being manhandled but so beautifully he did not complain, could not resist. Then he was coaxed flat on his back, lying naked on the table, with Tyler working him into such a state he almost lost every sense in his mind and body. The intensity of the feelings rushing through him was pumping the blood so vigorously through his cock that he suddenly stiffened and ejaculated into Tyler's mouth, the creamy come leaking out of the sides of his partner's mouth as he swallowed furiously to keep up with the excited jerking of Duncan's hips as he finished coming. Tyler sucked and teased him until he was empty then lifted a smiling face as he licked the last of the jism off his lips like the cat that had got the cream.

"Bloody hell, Ty! I normally have more control than that."

"And I normally feed myself."

They looked at each other and laughed. A good hearty happy sound. Duncan reached for Tyler's shirt but he eased back and stood up. His eyes said sorry. "I really *do* have to go into town, Mac."

Duncan nodded. Fair enough. Tyler had warned him, it was just he could not keep his hands off him. He sat up and reached for a serviette to wipe himself dry. Tyler caught his hand, licked his tongue lazily back and forth over his wrist while keeping eye contact with him then leaned forward and started to wash him clean with his tongue. Duncan groaned and put a hand on
the top of his lover's head, so many beautiful sensations. He flexed his fingers through Tyler's hair massaging his scalp. "Keep that up Ty and there's no way I'm letting you go into town." He said huskily.

Tyler smiled and finished him off. Gently planted a chaste kiss on the head of his penis and straightened up. "I told you I have to go."

"Then I'll come with you."

For a moment Tyler did not speak. Duncan slid off the table and started to walk in the direction of the shower. He turned his head to look back at him. "Just give me a few minutes to have a shower and dress."

Tyler nodded but a tinge of concern settled in his eyes. How was he going to explain Duncan MacLeod? And how was he going to wash the man's scent off him? He reeked of the man's sex. He sighed. Started to undo his shirt and made his way to the shower. "Hold on Mac, you'll need someone to wash your back."

* * * * *

Sheriff Donner raised his eyebrows. John Kanin was pacing back and forth in the Sheriff's office. "I tell you Matt there's something going on with Tyler, I'm sure of it."

The Sheriff crossed his arms. With Kanin there was *always* something going on with Tyler. It was becoming a tired old record and the groove was about worn out. "Can you be more specific?"

"I went up to his house yesterday."

"And?"

"He wouldn't let me in. Came right outside to talk to me."

Matt raised his eyebrows in a *so what* attitude. "Is that it?"

"I asked him about Ruby. Said he didn't know where she was."

"Maybe he doesn't."

"It was snowing. I suggested we talk inside, he didn't want to. Said he had company."

A flicker skated over the Sheriff's eyes but Kanin missed it. He was too busy pacing. He stopped and looked at the Sheriff. "He's hiding something."

Matt sighed. "Everybody hides things John, it doesn't make them mass murderers or criminals."

Kanin's voice went soft. "I think it was Ruby."

He straightened in shocked surprise. Tried to hide how startled he was. "What makes you say that?"

"Who else would be in his house?"

He shrugged a little. "A friend."

"Tyler doesn't have any friends."

"Now just a minute..."

Kanin raised his hands in a sudden placating gesture and smiled. "I'm sorry, that was out of order." He rubbed his hands wearily over his face. "I shouldn't have said that." He sighed. "It's just so frustrating that's all. I can't shake the feeling that Ruby's in trouble. That she needs me."

"That's natural John. Come on, I'll buy you a beer. Maybe it'll help you unwind."

He nodded and followed him out. "Thanks."

The diner was about half full when they got there. Luke, Sean, Christina, Jessica and Cindy were over by the pool table. Sherman Blackstone, the Egg Man, was rolling a coin over his knuckles and staring out of a window on the other side of the diner. Vivien Cates sat at a table opposite him staring moodily into a mug of coffee. Luke acted as if his mother was not there. With the worsening weather the residents of Wolf Lake were spending more of their time kicking their heels in the place. It actually relieved the subtle building undercurrent of tension when the door
opened and Sheriff Donner and John Kanin walked in, a thick dusting of snow on their jackets and heads. Sherman switched his coin to the other hand and continued to roll it. Vivien looked at him, she had her back to the door and did not see who had come in, but she knew.

Kanin looked at Matt as they headed for the counter. "Is it me or is there an atmosphere in here?"

"You just let half the artic in and all the heat out when you stepped through the door, what do you think?" Matt paused to blow on his hands and smiled at Sophia. His daughter gave Kanin a wary look then smiled awkwardly at her father. "What can I get you?"

"Beer." He puffed on his hands and rubbed harder. He could not seem to get warm for some reason. "Two."

She nodded, flicked a last look at Kanin and went to get their drinks. Kanin lowered his head. "Where do you think Ruby is?"

"I don't know."

"If she's still missing in twenty four hours I want to go by Tyler's place and check it out."

Matt frowned. "You have no reason to go doing that."

"Maybe he'll give me one."

At that precise moment the door opened and two figures swept in. Kanin had half turned to face the door, leaning back on the counter. He suddenly froze. Matt turned to see what had caught his attention and was surprised to see Tyler Creed walk in with a stranger. Although Tyler looked at ease Matt could see he was a little wary but putting a good gloss on it. He frowned slightly then glanced at Kanin. "You were saying?"

Kanin looked annoyed. His theory suddenly appeared to have been blown out of the water. He muttered as he lifted his beer to his lips. "Doesn't prove anything."

Matt leaned in close to whisper. "Except that you were wrong."

"I don't like him."

Matt took his beer and nodded his thanks to Sophia. Waiting until she moved out of earshot to serve Tyler and the stranger further along the counter. "Maybe he doesn't like you either. Now relax and drink your beer or I want a refund."

* * * * *

The house was in darkness. It was getting late and it had taken her hours to walk in the snow shoes but Simone was not even winded. The sharp sting of cooling air was bracing. She sucked in deep breaths and kept going, more cautiously now. It was as she was skirting round the curtilege of the house that something crunched under her feet. She stepped back and looked down but could not see anything but depressed snow. She stomped down on the snow with her snowshoes and heard the crunch again. Frowning she took a step back and knelt down to brush at the snow with her gloved hands, surprised to find broken glass - some of the shards spotted with blood. Her nostrils flared, her pulse quickened. She had been right. Any hopes she might have had of following a trail was ruined by the snow. She would check to try to find out where the glass was from. It was ordinary single pane quality, the kind you used in windows. Not double glazed units. She looked at the house. Possible. Carefully she approached and began to check round the outside of the house, stopping suddenly at a window with new putty in it. The frame was well made but unpainted. A new replacement. She looked down and scratched through the snow. More fragments. More blood. She frowned. That was strange. It looked as if the window had been shattered from the inside of the house. So why all the blood?

She was too careful to attempt to enter the house. Looking empty did not mean it was empty. That tingling again. Faint but insistent. She turned and followed her sense, stopping every time the pull faded away and continuing when it returned. It took her some way from the house, deeper in
the surrounding forest and into a small clearing between the trees. Simone stopped. It had not happened here but this was the spot. More certain now she dropped to her knees. The snow had stopped but it was more than a foot deep. She scooped the snow behind her clearing a space then looked for something to dig with.

* * * * *

Tyler Creed did not like this. It put him on display but worse than that it put Duncan on display. This had been a bad idea. He tried to batten down the unsettled feeling rising in his gut. It reminded him of the feel of being trapped. Duncan MacLeod however coped much better. Smooth, cultured, urbane, very little surprised or threatened him. He brought the glass to his
lips and drank judiciously, calmly cataloguing the people that filled the diner while appearing to show only mild curiosity as he looked around. Vivien Cates was not so circumspect. She got up and walked over to them. Her eyes shifted from Duncan to Tyler then back to Duncan. He watched her with interest feeling Tyler stiffen slightly at her approach, though his smile and words were courteous. "Vivien, I didn't expect to see you here."

Her eyes swept back to home in on his. A question. A warning. Then she smiled. "Who is your *friend*, Tyler?"

"Vivien Cates allow me to introduce Duncan MacLeod of Clan MacLeod.

Duncan this is Vivien."

Her eyebrows rose at the mention of his clan. "Pleased to meet you."

Her curiosity was overflowing now. Her eyes said she liked what she saw but there was a caution lying in wait also. "How long have you known Tyler? I thought I knew all his friends."

Duncan smiled. "I would rather hear about you."

His reply surprised her. Tyler smiled then took a sip of his beer.

"What would you like to hear, Duncan MacLeod?"

"Whatever you want to tell me."

For a moment it was as if the world had stopped spinning. Duncan was subtly flirting with Vivien and though she was never likely to take him up on it she was reacting to the presence of what was obviously another alpha male. But he felt different. Not one of their kind certainly. She also
sensed a protectiveness towards Tyler. That unsettled her somewhat because it was unexpected. Maybe they were friends? If so, how and when had the two met? Why had she never met him before? And how did his presence here affect the pack? He did not look like a drug dealer or a thug but looks as they say were only skin deep. Tyler took deeper draughts of his beer, carefully
trying to look casual as if he was not rushing. Duncan did not have to look at him to know how badly he wanted to leave. Vivien moved closer to Duncan and looked up at him. "Where do you want me to start?"

"You could tell me about Wolf Lake."

She looked sideways at Tyler, amused to see that he looked ready for flight. Interesting. She met Duncan's eyes again. "I would have thought Tyler would have told you about our little community."

"There is nothing like a woman's opinion to change a man's perspective."

Her eyes narrowed for a second. Now fully alert. Careful. This was no simpleton. She looked at Tyler. Re-assessing him. Wondered what he was up to. Tyler had finished his beer. He smiled at her, nodded calmly to Duncan. "You ready?"

He nodded and smiled at Vivien Cates, his eyes sparkling with some hidden amusement. "A pleasure to meet you."

Before she could think of something to say they left. In the cold blast from the open door her eyes met those of John Kanin. For a moment her guard had been down and he saw her surprise. A fleeting look of concern furrowing her brows. The shutters closed, her expression cleared and she smiled at him, nodded then went back to sit at the table and finish her coffee. The smile had never reached her eyes. Just as the coffee never touched her lips. There was no sign of Sherman Blackstone. Sheriff Donner looked up to find his daughter looking at him in query. He lifted a finger and ordered another beer.

* * * * *
END