TITLE: "CALL OF THE WILD"

AUTHOR: Alison M. DOBELL

FANDOM: "HIGHLANDER"/"WOLF LAKE" crossover

PAIRING: Duncan MacLeod/Tyler Creed

RATING: NC-17 *SLASH*

STATUS: New.

ARCHIVE: Yes. Just let me know where.

FEEDBACK: Welcomed

EMAIL: AlisonMDobell@aol.com

SERIES/SEQUEL: First in the

WEBSITE: http://www.carlajane.50megs.com/Ali00.html

SUMMARY: "Duncan MacLeod finds himself propelled to another place and time. A place called Wolf Lake.

Fandom: A "HIGHLANDER"/"WOLF LAKE" crossover.

The usual disclaimers apply. No infringement of copyright is intended.


"CALL OF THE WILD"
A "Highlander"/"Wolf Lake" story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL


It was the first time the pack had the opportunity to run together since the death of Willard Cates. Tyler exulted in the cool crisp early morning air, the sharp taste of the coming snows, the feel of a frosted earth turning beneath the restless pads of his paws. It had been too long. It had not been long enough. Ruby. Soon she would be his but her resistance to him was frustrating. He remembered the master, the wiley old pack leader who had taught the alpha male all he knew and whose wisdom had kept his blood in check and his anger under control when others sought most to break it. He remembered. He learnt. Patience was his tool and he would embrace it. The pack would thrive. He knew that he was not the man Willard would have chosen for his daughter but he was the natural selection. Always they would put the survival of the pack above their own personal wants and needs. Now those concerns were behind them. For a few short hours they would luxuriate in their freedom and mark again the only home they knew in the joy of the hunt.
Wolf Lake.

The pickings were scant. A few rabbits but nothing big enough to feed them all. Then out of a cold clear blue sky lightening forked and cracked like a whip of white rending the sky above their heads and striking the earth like a page torn from the book of life. Unsettled the pack slowed to a walk. Buddy taking up position on the left side to guard the alpha's flank. Luke to his right. Automatically they formed a defensive ring around the females. Tyler's eyes sparked and swept the forest. The lightening did not return. The cold clear blue sky reined supreme again but the wolves did not settle. They were wary, on edge.

*We should go back. Change* Said Buddy.

*No. Something is here*

They spread out again and then Tyler saw it. A bundle of something dark against the haw frost. He loped carefully towards it, sniffing the air and trying to assess the level of threat as he circled it. Buddy grew bolder, drew closer. Tyler made a dark coughing sound in the back of his throat,
warning him off. *Danger*.

*It's dead*

Tyler shook his head at Buddy. Not totally convinced though he had picked up the same information. He sniffed again, nudged the heavy dark material with his snout. A body lay beneath. He looked up, several of the others were salivating. Food. A lucky find. And big enough to feed them all. Still Tyler would not give the word. He circled again slowly, then darted forward and grabbed the edge of the cloak with his teeth and pulled. The body rolled out. Limp and unresponsive. A firm face, a solid body free of fat. Tyler took a step forward and felt a shock go through his paw. He leapt back as if stung though it had not hurt him. The yelp alarming the
pack. They bared their teeth ready to rip the foul thing to pieces at one word from him. The alpha looked down at the object half buried beneath the man. It was a sword.

* * * * *

He awoke slowly. A man drifting in dreams of ancient days. Forests old before time had begun to take account of the passing of human years. He smelt something and knew immediately that he was out of doors. He felt weak but was getting stronger with each breath. Warm in the deep thick fur that draped over him it took a moment to realise the fur had a pulse. He froze. Tried to still the rise in his heartbeat. To think. To remember. What had happened and where he was. The fur shifted, a great head lifted and turned yellow curious eyes on him. God in Heaven it was a Wolf! He hardly took in the cold forest floor upon which he lay or the snow that was beginning to fall and lay a chill carpet upon his head and shoulders. A dust of white sliding down his startled cheeks. The wolf watched him, carefully moved off his chest and seemed to be waiting for something. He was not sure what. That was when he took his first look around.

He wanted to shake his head. What mummery was this? Half hidden in the trees stood a circle of wolves. They watched him intently but seemed to wait on the wolf that had lain with him. The one whose warmth and coat had revived him in the snow. He blinked. This was a dream, it had to be. No wolves acted like this. They would have torn his throat out then devoured him before his last breath had grown cold. He closed his eyes, felt his energy slowly surging back through cold veins. When he opened them again the wolves were gone and a young man stood before him, a slightly amused look on his handsome face. The man was completely naked and showed no embarrassment at his lack of clothing. He was watching the man with the same calm intent gaze as the wolf had. He felt a shock go through him. The wolf. He watched the young man offer a hand.

"You must be frozen. Here, let me help you up."

Stunned, Duncan MacLeod took the proferred hand and got a better look at his companion as he was helped to his feet. The light bronzed skin of his benefactor showing a man in his prime. The face sporting a trim golden brown goatie beard. Blonde hair brushed back from his face. Amusement written in his eyes and the calm demeanour of his face. The body was lean and well
made. He movements assured and blessed with a natural grace. The young man smiled. "You seem to have lost your tongue, friend."

"It's not every day I find help unlooked for in the warmth of a wolf and the hand of stranger."

The smile was gentle. The eyes assessing him for all his charm. This man was cautious and there was something of a deadly edge to his grace that warned Duncan not to misjudge him. "I've never seen you here before."

It was the perfect opening. "Where is here, firstly?"

"Wolf Lake."

Duncan shook his head and retrieved his sword. He shook his head. "Never heard of it. My name is Duncan MacLeod of Clan MacLeod. To who do I owe my grattitude?"

Something sparked in the young man's eyes. Surprise? Approval? "You have a clan?"

"Yes, I do."

He nodded slowly for a moment then grinned at him, offering the hand of friendship. "Then we have something in common, Duncan MacLeod. My name is Tyler Creed and I am the head of my clan."

They shook hands. Two firm hands clasped but spanning different worlds. Duncan allowed a trace of humour to skate across his face. "What happened to your clothes?"

Tyler smiled, not offended by the question. "It's a long story. Where are you from?"

Duncan chuckled and removed his cloak, pressing it into the hands of the younger man. "That's a long story too. Here, take my cloak. You'll freeze otherwise."

He gave Duncan a small nod that was almost a bow. Strange. An odd affecting courtesy from a forgotten time. It made him think of the distant past, of times when common courtesy was yet another joy of a life lived rich and fast but free. The young man intrigued him. Tyler took him back through the forest then asked him to wait. When he returned minutes later he was dressed. He handed back the cloak almost shyly. Duncan found himself fascinated by him. Who was he really? And what about the wolves he had seen? Had he been the subject of some enchantment?

"Come," Said Tyler in a quiet courteous tone. "You can rest at my house."

"I should warn you I have questions..."

Again that smile. "As do I, Duncan. All in good time."

Duncan nodded and stepped alongside him so they could walk together. He took in deep draughts of air as the snow began to fall more heavily crowning his head in white. Tyler glanced at him and laughed. His own deep breaths spreading joy through his lungs. "I see you are an outdoor man, Duncan."

"As are you."

<More than you could ever know> Thought Tyler.

Duncan was curious about everything but Tyler had asked him to wait until they got to his place so out of respect he did just that but his mind was reeling. Trying to piece together what he had seen. Once indoors he found Tyler the perfect host. Well mannered and accommodating. Duncan smiled at him. "How did I get here, Tyler?"

Tyler tilted his head. "You walked."

"No, I don't mean just now." He said quietly. "When I woke. What happened?"

For a moment the alpha just looked at him, weighing up the words spoken with the man standing before him. Almost a head taller than he was but he was not intimidated. "You really don't remember, do you?"

Duncan shook his head.

"This will sound like a fantasy, Duncan. A fairy tale."

He nodded. He knew exactly how it would sound. "Just tell me. Please."

"First I must know something. Do you know what I am?"

The question surprised Duncan but he could see that it was important to Tyler. He thought back. "You are a man but not any ordinary man."

Tyler said nothing. He waited.

"When I awoke there was a wolf laying over me, keeping me warm. A pack seemed to be keeping guard, watching over me."

"Us."

"What?"

"Keeping a watch over us."

He paused, taking in what the young man was saying. "You were the wolf?"

"Was. Am."

"Then you are...?"

"A werewolf."

Duncan did not laugh at him. He remembered Tyler's words and repeated them out loud, quietly. "The head of your Clan."

"Yes. When we found you we thought you were dead." He watched Duncan intently. "The others wanted to feed but something held me back. I wanted to wait. Watch over you. Find out what manner of beast you were."

"Whether I was friend or foe?"

Tyler nodded. "Yes."

"And if I was foe?"

"I would have ripped out your throat and we would have devoured you."

"How do you know I am not your enemy?"

Tyler tilted his head, his eyes taking on an amber glow. Duncan held his breath. The young man really was quite beautiful. "You smelt different. Intrigued me."

"How?"

His look became thoughtful. Wistful almost. "I smelt the ages of man. Ancient souls reborn. Blood spilt, honour redeemed." He paused a moment. "You are no enemy of mine, Duncan MacLeod of Clan MacLeod."

His words shook Duncan. The man spoke with a quiet certainty that he found quite affecting. Could it be that this half-man half-wolf had the sight? "I am an immortal."

Tyler nodded, his eyes glittered brightly then steadied on his face. "I knew you were different."

"How did you become a werewolf?"

"No one becomes a werewolf, Duncan. It is what I am. From the beginning of the ages my kind have walked the earth. Man has become more enlightened but no wiser. Now he dresses his folly in the clothes of his ignorance and calls it reason. When will he ever learn that what is, is? He would meddle with all things until nature shows him a bland unchanging face. We are different. We are proud. We are free. The most important thing to a wolf is the survival of the Clan."

Duncan nodded. He knew where Tyler was coming from. Was surprised when Tyler gave a light bitter laugh. One that spoke of a pain casually inflicted.

"There are people here in Wolf Lake who call me a pscyhopath."

"Are you?"

He slowly shook his head. "I only kill when needs must. To protect the clan. If there is another way then I will take it." He shook himself out of his reverie. "But enough of this. I have become a poor host. You must be cold, hungry and thirsty. I will put some coffee on and make us something to eat. In the meantime why don't you wash the dust off?"

Tyler showed him the bathroom and where the towels and bathrobes were. Duncan hesitated. "I have no way to thank you for your assistance."

"Your courtesy is enough, friend."

"Call me Mac. It's what my friends call me."

He kept eye contact for a couple of seconds as if to seal the bargain. "Mac." He said it as if Duncan had conferred on him a great honour.

He gave Duncan a nod then quickly left leaving him rather stunned in the middle of the bathroom. He looked slowly around him and noticed how the tiles had the vague echoes of the forest about them. He took a deep breath and smelt pine needles and aftershave. It calmed him. He paused just a second then began to run the bath and strip off. If Tyler intended him any harm he would have made his move while he was helpless to defend himself. Instead he had watched over him until he had regained his strength. Kept him warm then brought him into his home. Such gifts were rare and to be treasured. Besides. Instinct told him he could trust this man. Just as surely as it told him his next challenge was here. Only another immortal could bring him so far.

Tyler answered the knock at the door. He was surprised to find John Kanin on his doorstep. Not wanting Kanin snooping about inside his house he stepped outside, closed the door behind him and began to walk away from the house. Kanin pulled his jacket closer, the snow was really coming down quite quickly. "Wouldn't we be more comfortable inside?"

He gave Kanin an enigmatic smile. "I'm comfortable. It's only snow."

Kanin watched Tyler stretch his head back, close his eyes and inhale the cold air as large flakes of snow drifted down his upturned face and settled in his hair. He only had a thin shirt on. No jacket. "You'll catch your death of cold." Murmured Kanin. More concerned with how cold he felt than any discomfort Tyler might be feeling. Tyler lowered his head, flicked his eyes open and looked at the Deputy Sheriff.

"Something I can do for you?"

"I need to find Ruby. You know where she is."

He raised an eyebrow. "I do?"

"Yes, you do. Is she here?"

"No."

"Mind if I look?"

"Yes. I have company."

Interest sparked in Kanin's eyes. Something in Tyler shifted but Kanin could not tell what it was. "No offence, but you aren't invited."

He started to turn around and head back to the house. Kanin called after him. "Who?"

Tyler half turned. "A friend."

He flicked the Deputy a casual salute and went inside shutting the door behind him. Kanin hesitated. Knew he had no power to force his way into Tyler's house. Not without a search warrant. And he had no grounds for getting one. He walked back to his car and got in. Frustrated but determined. He would make this town give up its' secrets if he had to squeeze it till it squeaked.

Inside the house Tyler listened to the vehicle pull away and got a beer out of the fridge. He flicked the top off and took a slow pull on it. Then he set about lighting a fire in the hearth. By the time Duncan stepped out of the bathroom there was a welcoming blaze in the grate. He had his trousers and shirt on but had left his other things folded in the bathroom for now. His feet were bare. He smiled at Tyler and rubbed his wet hair with a towel. "I thought I heard the door. Company?"

Tyler shook his head. Annoyed that Kanin's visit had taken the edge off his day but determined not to let it spoil Duncan's stay. "Deputy Sheriff."

"Trouble?"

"No, he's looking for a girl he knew. She comes from this town."

Duncan frowned. With the worsening weather he could understand the Deputy Sheriff's concern. "Is he arranging a search for her?"

"Are you kidding? Ruby isn't in any danger."

A blank look. "She isn't?"

"No. And she isn't lost."

Duncan looked confused. He sat facing Tyler, his expression thoughtful. "Then why is he looking for her?"

A little smile teased Tyler's lips. "Because she doesn't want to be found."

At the question in Duncan's eyes he decided a little explanation might be in order. "Ruby and I are going to be married."

"Then she's hiding from him?"

Tyler did not say anything. Duncan had the distinct feeling he should back off. Any further prying would be like throwing the man's hospitality back in his face and it was such a beautiful face. He found his thoughts wandering. Noticing things about Tyler that were setting his pulse on fire. Looking into those eyes was like being intoxicated. "Do you want a drink?" Asked Tyler softly.

His voice shivered like 12 year old malt down Duncan's spine. So warm. So smooth. Tyler's eyes seemed to be liquid amber. He longed to float in them, sip that beautiful liquid and taste it on his tongue. Tyler noticed Duncan seemed not to be listening. His hands had stilled, the towel forgotten. His eyes becoming smoky. Tyler moved closer, a light concern seeping into his voice. Duncan watched his muscles ripple through the thin shirt as the man moved. Felt a quickening of breath.

"Are you alright, Mac?"

Tyler reached out a hand and touched his face. The skin was warm to the touch. His movement drew fire from Duncan's eyes. Almost he pulled away but there was something about Duncan that was beginning to mesmerise him. Without warning Duncan slipped off his chair and knelt in front of Tyler, leaned in and stole the softest kiss. It fluttered gently and touched his lips a fleeting caress that synchronised his heartbeat. Tyler felt his heart racing, the blood pounding in his ears. Suddenly light headed. A tingle of electricity going right through him. Duncan smiled and stroked a hand through Tyler's hair, the younger man amazed he would dare so much. "What are you doing?" He asked softly.

"Thanking you for your hospitality, Tyler."

The younger man shivered at his voice. Was too stunned to move away when Duncan closed in to kiss him properly, his hands sliding round Tyler's neck to gently bring him into his embrace as he deepened the kiss then sat back on his heels and pulled Tyler down on top of him as he eased himself onto his back, the flickering heat of the fire adding to the flames that were beginning to arc between them. Tyler shuddered, Duncan's tongue easing into his mouth, his hands touching him as if he already knew the feel of his body. Within seconds he had his shirt off his back and was warming his muscles with the palms of his hands, moving his hips slightly to work Tyler's into a more intimate position. Tyler was getting hot and not just from the fire. He could hardly breathe, excitement building as Duncan quickly undid his belt and had his pants undone before he could catch up with the speed of his movements. Tyler tried to steady his heartbeat, tried to stop himself flipping as his blood heated and raced to the touch of the older man's hands. He groaned deep in the back of his throat. A feral sound that sparked a deep and urgent need in Duncan. One he had not quenched properly in a hundred years.

"Mac, no...."

The words so soft they were barely audible still penetrated the heat of Duncan's lust. He kissed those lips more slowly then broke away just enough to gather his breath for a single aching word. "Why?"

"It's too much, too soon."

"Trust me, I won't hurt you."

Tyler laughed. That was so funny. Duncan hurt him? "More likely the other way around."

Duncan frowned slightly, puzzled. He was by far bigger, heavier and certainly more experienced than Tyler. The other man was younger, very fit by the look and feel of him but would be no match for Duncan MacLeod. "I think I'll take my chances, Tyler."

"Well, I won't."

He was surprised when Tyler rose into a kneeling position. His eyes were turning yellow, the amber highlights flickering deep within the richness of his soul and doing crazy things to Duncan. His stomach churned, he was hot for him, needed him so badly. Needed him now. He put his hands around Tyler's hips, stroking the cheeks of his ass and wishing he could just rip the man's trousers off but this was Tyler's house. His hospitality he would be abusing. So he held himself back, stroked his hands over the firm cheeks and imagined how it would feel to bury himself inside him. "Why not?"

Tyler heard the lust in Duncan's voice, saw the fire in his eyes. Understood the raging passion. He went to get up but Duncan was still holding him. One hand sliding round to the front of his crotch and stroking him through his trousers. The other hand still rubbing his ass cheeks, keeping him in position. Tyler swallowed. Hard. "You don't know what you're asking."

"Yes, yes I do."

"No, Mac, you don't."

Now he heard Tyler's voice beginning to crack a little. It was took much for him. He slid his hand down inside Tyler's waistband and found him already hard, his fingers kneeding and caressing him, determined not to let go. Tyler groaned, much louder and more animalistic this time. So excited now but also trying to warn Duncan. Duncan took no notice. He knew what he wanted. Had recognised it in this man. If he would have him he would make sure Tyler was not sorry. Then something seemed to snap, to change with a speed that froze the blood in his veins, his eyes widening with surprise and shock. Tyler's lips peeled back and Duncan saw him changing, his shape morphing in his hands. The beautiful sculpted muscles of his body covered by dense coarse hair.

"I tried to warn you, Mac..." Said Tyler, the words squeezed out of a throat that was changing too rapidly to accommodate any more human speech. The growl deepened and elongated. The teeth long and sharp and bared, the yellow eyes fastened on his. Duncan swallowed slowly. Trying to keep his movements to a minimun. Not to excite the wolf any further. His sword was out of reach but he would not have used it anyway. This was his fault for forcing himself on the younger man. For not listening to what he was trying to tell him.

"I... I'm sorry, Tyler."

His hand dropped away from him and he lay still. The wolf standing over him, shreds of his clothing on the floor beside them. It seemed as if the wolf paused over him for a lifetime but he knew it was only seconds. Then suddenly it leapt off him and bounded out through the window. The shattering of glass breaking the spell that had frozen Duncan MacLeod to the spot. He lay stunned for a split second then got up shakily. "Bloody hell, you were telling the truth. You *are* a wolf."

Duncan shut his eyes and swore over and over. But all he could see when he shut his eyes was those yellow eyes flecked with amber. The taste of 12 year old malt sliding down his throat as he kissed him. The touch of a body so sweet and responsive he found himself craving more even while his mind reeled with the horror of what he had almost done. Only Tyler's self control had saved them. He groaned. Unbelievably he cursed the young man's self control.

* * * * *

END