Title: Bare Secret

Author: PurpleWaterlili

Rating: NC-17

Fandom: West Wing

Pairing: Leo/Jed

Status: complete

Date: 18/02/2001

Archive: yes

Archive email address: purplewaterlili@yahoo.co.uk

Series/Sequel: yes

Category: Drama, First Times, underaged, AU

Warnings: None really.

Summary: Jed and Leo meet at school and their romance and life long friendship begins to develop.

Note: Masters - teacher

This one of the many stories floating around in my head as to how Leo and Jed met so don't be shocked if I write a couple more of these as more information comes to light from the series. This is the first part of what I hope will be a three or four part series, which I plan to use as the framework of my own AU in which I can chronicle their lives from childhood to the White House and beyond.

Bare Secrets
by PurpleWaterlili

 

St. Angela's Preparatory
School for Boys
June1960 - the present
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is he gone?"

"Well, give me a minute."

Jed's tone was hushed as he bounded to the door. He peeked around it to the hall of his dorm floor just as 3 other heads from other rooms popped out as well. Hall monitor Matt Sebastian tip toed across the hall to room number 341 and was welcomed with a warm hug by two junior students before being yanked inside.

Jed giggled as he saw his friend Dougie from next door who seemed quite out of breath with an exposing his sweat-slicked torso.

"Hey, Dougie, you two seem to be jumping the gun a bit."

"Mind your own damn business, Bartlet, the walls are thin. You can't preach to me. Two seconds earlier last night and O' Hannon would have found you with your mouth full of old Irish."

"Jed, tell Douglas to shut the hell up, then get yourself in here."

At their best guess it was about 9:30 since Father O' Hannon had just made his second and final bed check.

"Bye Dougie," Jed said, closing the door and turning to the bed near the single window of the room.

The room was dark since lights out was an hour ago, only moonlight spilled its silvery glow through the open window. The chilly wind blew through the window, causing the plain white curtain to flutter around Leo's shoulders, as he knelt waiting for Jed. Jed smiled in the dark, then chuckled, as thoughts of the curtain resembling angel's wings extending from Leo's back flickered though his head. He watched as Leo pulled his tight white tee shirt up over his head, his hair mussing as it spilled down to his shoulders. Jed smiled and made his way towards his boyfriend.

It was official. Leo had finally said the words to him. Last weekend, instead of staying in Hanover at his parent's home while his dad was out of town on business, he and some friends "borrowed" his dad's car and drove out to Vermont. They camped the entire weekend barely making it back in time for morning mass Monday morning.

That first night, under the stars in an old canvas tent with the cool fine carpet of dew drenched grasses beneath them, he and Leo made love for the first time.

Vermont Woods
The Prior Weekend
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Douglas and William were snogging by the fire, Steven and Mark had disappeared into their tent before sundown. Jed just sat, watching the fire, as he leaned against Leo's chest. He idly roasted marshmallows, which he fed Leo and himself. He felt Leo's arm go around his waist, urging him to stand. "Let's go."

They walked close to each other, winding through the trees to towards the sound of the stream trickling to the lake. Leo stopped him, pulling him against a tree, and kissed him. His fingers were sunk deep into Jed's dark hair, massaging his scull aimlessly. They stared into each other's eyes. He was happier than he ever felt in his entire life.

He giggled. It seemed a stupid thing to have done just then but he felt deliriously content. He laid his head on Leo's chest and wrapped his arms around him tightly.

"You know..." Leo said as he kissed the top of Jed's head then sniffed his hair, "you are the one thing I think I love truly in this world."

"What?" Leo's head sprung up butting Leo under his chin.

"Jed!"

"Opps I'm sorry," he apologized while rubbing Leo's pronounced chin, then kissing it gently.

"Its ok, love."

"You see, you said it again."

"What?" Leo said distractedly moving some hair from Jed's face.

"Leo, do you really love me?" Leo didn't reply immediately. He held Jed's chin lifting his face from shyly staring at his sweater.

"Josiah Bartlet, you are an absolute geekish nerd."

Jed's heart started to sink even as he felt Leo leaning closer to him, pinning him hard against the old Spruce tree.

"And I can't help but be entranced and in awe of you. I love you Jed...and God knows I never thought with you is where I would find love. Yes, Jed, you jackass, I'm in love with you."

Leo hands skimmed over his back and, reaching for his shirt and sweater, he stripped them off and threw them wildly in the dark.

"Leo, I'm beginning to think you only love me for my body."

"Nah. That's only part of it ... you maladroit nerd."

"Yes, that I maybe, but I'm yours," Jed quipped as he wiggled from his jeans and shorts. "Damn right you are, and I intend on holding on to that lease until someone pries it from my cold dead hands."

"Loving picture, Leo," Jed teased.

"Race you to the lake," He called out, speeding between the old trees with only the light of the moon glinting down between the leaves to show them their way. They skinny-dipped in the cold water for a few minutes, darting around in the water playfully.

Leo had finally caught him and held Jed close and they kissed for a moment. Leo pulled away first, registering some reticence in Jed.

"Leo, I want you to make love to me." Leo stared intently into Jed's eyes raising an eyebrow, but Jed was swift in reassuring him.

"Jed we don't need to do this not just because of what I ..."

"Damn it, Leo," Jed wiggling out of his hold. "Why must you second- guess everything I say? Do you think I'm incapable of making the simplest decision?"

Leo watched as Jed's slender frame climbed out of the cold water and sat with a thud on the slippery bank and desire surged through him.

"Jed...this isn't a simple decision. It should not be made on the spur of the moment when, incidentally, we're both butt naked, fucking skinny-dipping in the middle of nowhere." Leo exhaled frustrated. "Does the word hormones mean anything to you?" "Leo, I stole my father's car and escaped to the wilds of Vermont to be with you. So we can be together."

"You didn't?"

"Yes I did. I've been thinking about this for weeks, Leo."

He sat on the bank watching the silvery moon shimmer on the water. Leo sat next to Jed, this time keeping his big mouth shut.

"Well, not the Vermont part that was Stephen's idea."

"So that's why you jumped at the chance to take the old man's Squire."

"I wanted this to be special."

"Of course it would be special you nut...I'd be with you."

"I know, but Leo we are in the woods, it's a beautiful night at a beautiful secluded spot and I'm here with the only person I'll love this way in the world and I want to be with him, I mean you. I love you Leo." They were quiet for a while and Jed sought out Leo's hand in the dark squeezing it.

"I guess it is a beautiful night," Leo's voice had slipped into that dreaminess again. He touched Jed's hair, now slicked against his forehead. Leo's finger moved it, and then slid them over his lips. "You're cold- your lips are turning blue."

"I'm sure you can think of a way to warm me up."

"I may be able too. Lets head back."

St. Angela's Preparatory
School for Boys
June 1960 - the present
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Come on Jed, just get into bed."

Jed's mind flickered and he was back in his dorm with Leo who was now lying in on narrow bed with the sheets pulled back and had a hand held out to him. The moonlight shone over him and reminded him of that night again.

"You coming to bed sometime tonight?"

"Yeah." He said taking the last few steps towards the bed and tripping over and falling flat against Leo's chest.

"Ouch."

"You are such a klutz, Bartlet."

"Shut up and kiss me, you idiot. Its your damn shoe that I almost broke my...mmmm." He was silenced.

"That's better," he whispered, after catching his breath. His lips came together again and Jed struggled to kneel in the bed. Jed pulled his shorts off and slipped his right leg over Leo's, straddling his hips.

"Uhhhmmm, Leo, no wonder you were so impatient," he could feel Leo's naked turgid erection beneath him.

"Well, don't make me wait, Bartlet."

Jed smiled and leaned over to kiss his boyfriend's lips softly. He raised himself off Leo and reached between them. He found his boyfriend's thick precum and Vaseline slick cock. He was afraid in Vermont and Leo, always the antagonist, had made him hold it like this; taking his hand in his own, he helped Jed position his manhood under his dark pucker, but he wasn't afraid anymore as he handled Leo throbbing swollen member.

He had learned from Douglas that he should prepare himself for Leo and he had been for the last few weeks. St. Angela's Preparatory School had a communal bath system; and all Douglas could do was snicker at his predicament, his dark brown eyes alight was mischief as he counted his blessings that he didn't have McGarry to deal with.

At night, after his shower, when he was alone and Leo had bike practice, he would lie on his bed and press his fingers into himself with Vaseline to aide his way. He'd lay there and think about his roommate holding and kissing him as they had already started three months ago.

Part 2
Interlude I

Leo came to St. Angela's angry and troubled and looking for more.

That first year no one dared cross the path of the 15 year old. His pranks on the priest and Masters gained him the fear earned respect of the student body but they all steered clear of "Loose Cannon McGarry."

Leo knew there was an otherness separating him from the rest of the kids there.

On weekends they all piled into their parents chauffeur driven cars or their own luxury vehicles and disappeared until the following Monday.

One week, Leo noticed something, or rather, someone. There was this skinny geeky kid who wore glasses that stayed back at school more often than not. This kid watched him like a jaguar stalking it's pray, always close but always just out of sight It became a game for Leo to watch this kid who would watch his every move. He would sit in a library, pouring over his books. He'd glance up into the stacks to see the fringe of a dark head easing back out of site.

Jed was watching him one night, sitting in the dark under a tree near the biking path. Leo saw a twinkle of light off to the side of the path, a third of a second, his attentions were on Jed's silhouette, leaning next to the tree, lighting up a cigarette. He found himself being hurdled over the handlebars and fell flat on his back in the dust. He came to with hands fussing at his bleeding leg.

"Hey, are you going to be ok...should I call Father Carrington?"

"You know, I was debating with myself as to whether you'd leave me here to bleed to death."

"You knew I was watching."

"I'm not completely ignorant of what goes on around me."

'Maybe I should have left you here." Jed chuckled without malice.

Jed had felt somehow drawn to this misfit, but then again, who was he to label Leopold McGarry? He never fit in anywhere he went, either. It was hard being the smartest among the smart, especially at St. Angela's, where run away egos and ambitions were allowed to run unhampered and even fostered.

They taught the children of the rich and powerful who would in turn become the rich and powerful. They were creating leaders. Sadly, to Jed, they were mostly of the ruthless kind.

Leo, for all his bravado, seemed not terribly interested in their world. He was happy to consign himself to slaying his own demons, even if it meant killing himself at times. Like tonight, as he road the circuit over and over, pushing himself past exhaustion. They sat in the dust, sharing a cigarette for a few minutes, until Leo caught his breath and felt sturdy enough to stand.

Jed helped him back to his dorm all the while fighting off Leo's futile attempts to shrug off his assistance. Jed cleaned and bandaged the leg. It was all quiet superficial lacerations.

He somehow insinuated himself in Leo's room the rest of the day. He kept conversation between them going and even brought their dinner up. They shared a quiet meal together lightly chatting about their lives before St. Angela's.

The next day the others poured back into school and Leo reverted to pushing his young friend away, intent on keeping his lone ranger reputation.

One good thing did start that weekend.

Each weekend, when the school was empty, it was theirs for the shared plunder.

They would gallivant around the grounds, getting into mischief, and driving the Fathers and Masters to tear out their hair.

They weren't the only ones left behind during the weekends. There were about ten of them. And slowly, over the months, they banded together, becoming quite close friends in the process. They all fell in step behind Leo and Jed, their unofficial leaders.

Leo, as much as he tried, found he couldn't just escape during the week from Jed's incessant chattering about ... well about nothing in particular at all. After a few weeks, he gave up on the charade of pushing the younger boy away.

That year they became virtually inseparable, seeking out each other's company whenever the opportunity arose. Jed had even started the trend of dragging Leo home with him those weeks his parents sent for him. On a few occasions, the whole lot of them who would stay behind, would hike to Jed's parent's home, which was half a days walk away.

Leo was at first intimidated by the sheer wealth of the Bartlets, but that changed as well. Jed insisted he feel at home there. Mr. and Mrs. Bartlet liked the young scholarship student well enough to welcome him into their home as their son's friend. Leo accepted their hospitality, but he knew that the awkwardness he felt at school would always follow him, even to his best friends home.

The only time he did not feel that pressure was when he was alone with Josiah. The boy never demanded anything of him but his time and maybe his ears. They were fast friends and their first summer they were away from each other was trying.

Slowly, Leo began to realize there was little in Boston for him. The rift between him and his mother grew and it strained both of them having him there. His father's death seemed too much an obstacle for either of them to attempt to climb over. He was happy to return to the school he initially had to be taken to kicking and screaming.

He and Jed had arranged to be roomies.

"There's no one better to room with than your best friend." Jed had told him in a letter leading up to their a few weeks before school. The closer their relationship got the closer they pressed it. They pushed down each other's walls, finding the tiny child scared and lonely at the center of their souls. Late night talks about lost childhoods and fears of their future, turned into nights of laying in each other's arms for comfort. Jed was the only person in the world Leo talked to about that night...that terrible night when his father died.

St. Angela's Preparatory
School for Boys
Three months before
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Leo ... Leo ... Leo ... Leo you aren't even listening to me." Jed griped. "Leo..."

"Hummmm."

"You haven't heard a word I've said."

"I'm sorry ... I was thinking."

"I know you have."

"But I do know what you are saying."

"Really."

Yeah ... your Dad."

"Yes my father...he wants me to go to Yale, he's known the dean since I was a kid, but that's his dream not mine and I don't think I can handle all that pressure."

"Yeah all **that** Pressure."

"Leoooo."

"What???"

"Never mind." Jed rolled over on his side backing his roommate intent on falling asleep but his conscience nagged at him. "No ... I can't damn well go to sleep." He mumbled to himself turning to Leo who lay rigidly staring at the ceiling.

"Where the hell do you get off patronizing me?"

"Where do **I** get off?"

"Yes ... for days now you've been treating me like this. You won't talk to me."

"I never do ... you do enough of that for the both of us."

"Well you don't actively listen either."

"I never would have guessed you'd notice ... with your mouth moving a mile a minute like that all the damn time. It's fucking irritating."

"What the hell did I do 3 days ago?"

A shock ran through Leo.

"What did you say?"

"I asked what the hell could I have done 3 days ago to make you this pissed at me. My talking never bothered you before ... I always talk too much and it never bothered you this much before. All I know is when I woke up Tuesday you hated me." Jed gasped than rushed on. "And I don't know why; 'cause if I did know believe me I would have try to fix it but I don't." his voice dropped to a desperate whisper "and I can't seem to do anything right since."

"Jed ..." Leo exhaled and for the first time looked away from the ceiling and focused on Jed's form across the dark room. He could see the tears shining in his eyes he wished that seeing them could melt away the hard lump that had grown inside of him ... it didn't but he did feel compelled to ease his friend's anxiety. "I don't hate you Jed.'

"Leo you won't even talk to me...or listen...or whatever."

"Jed I do listen."

"No... you don't."

"Yes I do Jed," he yelled. "I listen ... I listen to you go on and on about how hard it is to be the crown prince... the heir apparent to the mighty Bartlet family millions. I hear you and the rest of them go on about the pressures of succeed with the golden spoons still stuck in you're mouths. None of you know what its like out there in the real world. You see I do listen ... and what was it tonight. Ohh yes Daddy dearest wants prince to go off to one of the best schools his money and contacts can buy. Well maybe we should round up the guys and drag him out to the fields and tar and feather him. How dare he want the best for his son? Young Princes are such Brats ... you all are and I'm tired of having to deal with it."

"Leo..." it was tiny trembling whisper. Leo knew he was hurting Jed but the anger he was holding inside didn't want him to care about Jed's feeling. He was hurting and his pain struck out to hurt anyone in its path and no matter how hard he tried to push himself away from Jed lately, the young man would not stay away. Always he was there ... always the one receiving his wrath.

"Jed you have it all and you refuse to see that, and for the rest of us ... everyone has pressures Jed; and yours my friend are nothing."

"Am I?"

"What?"

"Your friend."

"Look Jed ...I know I may not be fair you and your buddies here but its hard being on the outside. I'm just tired of it."

"The outside? Tired of what Leo?"

"I'm not like you guys. I don't have the luxuries you all have to complain about. You bitch and moan about things you call Pressure and Hardships when you simply can't grasp the concepts."

"And you can...what gives you the right to judge us. What gives you the right to judge me Leo?"

"Watching my father kill himself gives me all the fucking rights I need."

A chill climbed up Jed's spine as he watched Leo entire body tense in the darkness. "Leo."

"It's nothing...forget that I said it."

"Leo I can't jus..."

"I said forget about it kid."

The silence, which descended upon the shadowy dorm, grew dense with Leo's still raw pain and Jed's longings to comfort.

"Three days ago was the...anniversary. It's just hard for me Jed. I hear you complain about your father and I can't help but think... I never mean to take it out on you and we'll always be friends...Jed are you awake?"

"Yeah. I don't mean to hurt you either Leo... I'm sorry that he ... "

Leo closed his eyes. "I was fourteen. I came home late from the library pretty late one Tuesday night. I was sitting in the dark of the living room. My dad came home drunk. He had been at Dominic's ... he's always drunk after he visits there. He was never stumbling drunk but I could always tell when he was over the top. My dad walked right past me; heading to his office with was directly opposite my chair. He turned on the light and went to his desk. He took some papers from his pocket and looked at them throwing them on the desk in disgust. He switched on his desk light and that's when My mother came rushing from upstairs. She was pissed ... I could tell it in her steps. She bounded into his office. They were yelling. The yelling and fighting started around the time that Uncle David started visiting really often. Something was wrong with the company but I didn't know what. I found out later he was having trouble paying back a serious bank loan and they were planning to foreclose. Dad had filed for chapter 11 and ten days before his birthday his wife had him severed with divorce papers. Those were the papers from his jacket pocket. He wouldn't sign the papers and she was livid. She wanted out and she demanded he give it too her. They argued for almost an hour before mom stormed out his office and back upstairs.

"I never saw my father cry before that night. He wasn't the strong man I knew him to be he looked defeated and worthless. He looked at the papers that he had laid out on his desk. My Dad looked so broken Jed." Leo's eyes were closed all the while he talked and he was startled when he finally opened them to see Jed sitting on the edge of his bed watching him. Jed's hand passed over each of his cheeks wiped his tears away.

"I never saw him cry before that night."

Jed felt for both Leo's hands, which were clutching at the bed's sheets. He unwound Leo's fingers, and held his hands against his face. His knuckles felt cold still white with the tension, and his palms were clammy. He wiped Leo's face again and held his blanket up for a few seconds giving his best friend time to the opportunity to stop him before he slid in next to him, holding him around the waist and laying his head on Leo's chest.

"I wanted to go to him ... he was so sad. I started to walk to his door but he didn't see me in the dark as I. I was scared. I don't know why but I stood outside his door for a minute ... that's when I saw it. It was a small pistol it his from the war. He kept it in his office in a locked box in a desk drawer. I had only seen it once before, it was a moment before I was sure he really had it in his hands. Once I knew what it was it was only a moment before had it under his chin. I pushed the door open...it slammed against the wall I looked back at as it swung back... it seemed to make too loud a noise ... when I looked back at my Daddy ... the gun ... the same time." He sobbed ... holding on to Jed's warm body tightly as the images passed before his eyes once again. For days they played over and over in his mind. "He saw me ... it was only an instant... but he saw me when I pushed the door.. He was moving the gun but the noise the door ... it startled him and. His eyes were still trained on me when...his head was laying on the desk on his paper." Jed held him tight as tightly as he was being held. His own tears slipping past his cheeks unhindered.

"It wasn't your fault Leo ... it wasn't your fault."

"There was blood on my shirt, some on my face."

"It wasn't your fault Leo."

"When I touched him he was still warm..."

"Leo."

"She came in ... I was touching him ... I couldn't believe... he couldn't be dead. He just couldn't. She tried to pull me away from him ... I just wanted to hold him ... when he was crying I just wanted to hold him. Now he was ... I just needed to hold him and she kept pulling me away. She called Uncle David...the police came with him ... they wouldn't let me hold him. They made me sit in the living room next to the door. You want to know what she was up too upstairs...packing. There right next to my bag on the floor ... all the policemen pushed it aside when they came in. Her suitcase...she was leaving him...us. "

"Oh Leo you've kept this with you so long."

"Jed she was going to leave us all of us."

"I'm not going to leave you Leo. We'll always be there for each other."

Silence once again invaded what had become their home. It clung heavily around them but this time the welcomed it allowing it to envelop them as the clung to each other for comfort.

Part 3
Interlude II

Jed did not judge Leo that night. He understood his friend's pain and he had grown to know Leo enough to know he had to deal with his emotions over his parents in his own way. Jed simply refused to allow him to go through it alone. And as they lay in their embrace nothing separated them. Jed knew he was finally truly within the protective wall Leo had thrown up around himself and he knew he never wanted to be on the other side of it again. He could never have dreamt that Leo carried such a deeply scaring secret. He knew Leo might never be able to rip the walls down but letting him in was the first step. Leo trusted him and he would share in his pain.

They hardly slept alone since that night. Choosing instead to sleep curled around each other, with Leo's slightly taller frame, being a year older, behind Jed's.

Months passed and they dared do nothing more than hold each other through the night, glad for the warmth and comfort it offered. They knew that many of their friends spent their nights in rapture, seeking and giving pleasure to each other. The muffled gasps and groans filtered through the dark hallways at night; it was the bare secret of life at St. Angela's. Jed and Leo waited. Their first kiss was awkwardly shy, late one Saturday night, high in the stacks of the library. But in the weeks that followed, tucked away safely in Leo's bed, after second bed check, they began to cuddle and fondle each other in the dark. They would share sweet kisses, begging the night never to end.

Then a few weeks ago, Jed had been called home. His father was having a dinner and some big wigs from Washington were coming and he wanted Josiah there. Josiah knew he was being shown off as nothing more than a trophy of his father's and he hated it.

St. Angela's Preparatory
School for Boys
Three weeks before
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jed stormed into the their room with a wild fury nature reserves for hurricanes. The force with which the door slammed behind him made the door and walls tremble as if to cower from his rage. It startled Leo but he had seen it before. He turned around to see Jed standing at his desk fuming, slamming his fist into the desk on the opposite side of the room.

"He called?" He said putting away Jed's Grandfather's copy of Marcus Aurelius Antoninus' Meditations.

"No."

"He didn't?"

"No. He didn't call."

"Oh Okay then..."

"He made **her** call."

"I see. Smart man."

"Damn him to hell."

"So what did he want?"

"I have to go home."

"When?"

"Friday."

"What about ..."

"Going to the Kennedy Youth Convention."

"Yes."

"She said he was adamant. I hate him sometimes why couldn't it be any other weekend. She wouldn't even let me talk to him. To explain."

"So she wants you home too."

"Yeah." Jed said with a sinister smile. He walked up Jed and wrapped his arms around his neck and kissed his lips.

"Mmm." Leo opened his mouth allowing Jed eager to suck on his velvety smooth tongue as slid over bumped and into his tongue. "What's that for?"

"Because we are still going to that convention." Jed nipped at Leo's lower lip before releasing him.

'No you don't."

"Leoooo."

"Jed you're going home this weekend and that's that."

"Don't you want to go the convention?"

"Of course I do but I'm not getting into his with you and your dad again."

"My dad likes you."

"You're dad tolerates me. Jed the man doesn't hold me in as high esteem as Matt and Steve and the others, and I can be okay with that.

"That's not true."

"Jed he thinks I'm turning you into a hoodlum and your Mom ... well she thinks I'll bring the wrath of God down upon you." He leered at Jed. "And she just may be right."

"You don't believe that."

"But you do."

"I did...I'm sorry I every told you that. I was a kid and Nana could preach and scare the hell out of Jesus himself. Plus I checked for myself. I read that damn book cover to cover and back again. It doesn't say..."

"Jed don't swear about the Bible!" Leo rudely interjected trying to gain control of the conversation once again. Anyway it doesn't matter. I know you; you wouldn't be this upset over going home if I were going with you. So I wasn't invited was I?"

Jed stared at the wall behind the desk where Leo studied.

"I told you so."

"I begged her to let me bring you. There's going to be a party. She told me that Dad said you couldn't come plus She said she had already made he plans and that was that. I tried to change her mind." Jed pouted, walked over to his bed flopped down on it. "I'm not going to Hanover this weekend."

"Yes you are."

"But Leo."

"I won't be an issue for contention between you and your parents Jed."

"And being my best friend will be in conflict of my relationship with them."

"Isn't it already?"

"I don't care what you say Leo we are going to Newark come Friday."

"Jed I said you were going home and I meant it and that is all I have to say on this, and if you think you are going to Newark you're going alone."

"Leoooo."

"I meant it."

"But don't you want to meet Kennedy."

"Sure I do."

"Then..."

"You're going home. It just wasn't in the cards that's all." He said sitting on the bed next to Jed hugging him.

"I really want to hate him now."

"You should be grateful you still have him to hate."

"I want to hate you too, but I'm grateful I have you to hate too." Jed smiled. " Wanna kiss me and make it all better."

Leo laughed and made his way over to his younger friend. He slipped his hands around Josiah's neck pulling him close. He looked deeply into Jed's big brown eyes. He leaned in closer and kissed he forehead ... then his nose playfully nipping it as he made his way down Jed's tiny pouting mouth. Their kisses were bolder now usually with Leo leading them. His tongue slipped past Jed's lips trailing over his perfectly neat row of bottom teeth Jed's tongue would come and meet his bumping and sliding over each other for a few moments before Leo sucked Jed's into his mouth. Their bodies pressed hard against each. Lying back on Jed's bed Leo roamed Jed's body caressing him through his clothes...Jed's fingers lost in his hair. They broke apart breathlessly. Leo rolled them on their side and they watched each other.

"I'll miss you."

"I know you will and I'll miss you too, but we'll be ok. It's just one weekend. It's summer without you I'm trying not to go crazy about."

"I don't want to talk about that now." Jed came in closer...he couldn't see Leo's face anymore but he laid his head on his chest and listened to his heart race and that was even better. Leo's arms came around him as the rolled onto his back letting Jed use him for a pillow. In a little while they would have to get up to Wednesday evening mass, but later that night they would have more time to be together.

That weekend, when Jed was alone in his childhood room without his Leo to hold or to hold him, he cried. At first he did not understanding why and he fell asleep questioning the deep emptiness he felt.

He had planned to sulk his way through the entire party but unfortunately his plans were quickly dashed by his father's guest of honor's arrival. However he did manage to blundered his way through his dinner, mentioning his great friend with every sentence that to slip past his lips, much to his Father's dismay. He ended the night feeling he had failed horridly in impressing his father's friends but his mind was filled with one thought, getting back to Leo the very next day and tell him everything.

That night after arguing with his father about his priorities and the old "you are a Bartlet thus you should behave like one" speech, he started to pack his things, more intent than ever on returning to St. Angela's instead of spending Sunday with his parents and their friends. As he packed, he found a note in his bag that he had missed when he unpacked the day before. He read the piece of paper carefully:

Do not let the old man get you down you know he loves you and you wouldn't be there unless he was proud of you. He's just as much of an asshole as his son. You both expect too much from the people you care about, and I have the mental scars to prove it. Your name should be Slave Driver instead of Bartlet. Enjoy yourself Jed it's a party for crying out loud.

PS: bring me back some of Carla's crab cakes.

Josiah smiled and reread the letter, pacing his floor for a few hours, trying to analyze what it was in those few words that made him happier than a kid on Christmas day. He did care about Leo, and he was glad his friend knew that he did. When he finally stood still and looked out through the window to the gardens at the back of their home, he knew it. The moment he admitted it to himself, something deep in his heart burst into life like saplings shoot thrusting itself out into the world letting itself be seen. He knew he was in love with Leopold McGarry even if the old sod did not deserve it. He slept well that night, his realization was his comfort in their separation.

The next morning as he walked down to his taxi he was stopped by Uncle Jack who had gone for a morning walk in the gardens.

Outside the Bartlet Mansion
Early one Sunday morning
Three Weeks ago
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Rushing off already young Josiah." The thick Massachusetts accent startled Jed and he turned to see his Uncle returning from the gardens.

"I'm afraid so Mr. Kenn." v "Now I told you I won't have that...it's Uncle Jack. Your father and I have been friends for more years then either of us care to remember."

"Okay Uncle Jack...I...I just have to get back to school."

"On Sunday...and your taking a cab. You're dad doesn't know you are sneaking off does he."

"No he doesn't ... well not yet anyway."

"I see ... well I won't keep you. I knew you and that friend you talked so glowingly about must have been disappointed to miss the youth convention yesterday and a chance to get in on the campaign. So I just wanted to tell you that if you both are still interested I'd be honored to have two young men like yourselves join my campaign."

Jed was absolutely stunned. "Do you mean it?"

"Josiah I'm not a man who is in a habit of making statements I don't stand behind and if your friend is half as great as you made him out to be last night we'd be lucky to have you both."

"Ohh thank you Uncle Jack." Jed threw himself at his father's dear friend Jack Kennedy in his glee. "Ohh my goodness." He said blushing as he pulled away. "I'm sorry." As he tried to straighten his own and his uncle's rumpled clothes. "Leo is really great and I know he'd be ecstatic when he hears. Of course we'd be interested. Oh thanks you ... thank you."

"No need for all that. Now you better be off with yourself."

'Thanks Mr. uhhh Uncle Jack.

"That's better."

"We won't let you down."

"I wouldn't dream you would. We need great young minds like yours in this campaign. You'd be doing me a favor. Now you be off the meter is running and I think I see you two beautiful women, your mother and my lovely wife heading out this way."

Jed climbed up into the back seat of the taxi. "So where do we sign up ... where do we have to go?"

"Don't worry Josiah I'll have one of my people send the information sent your school. It is St. Angela's isn't."

"Yes ... Yes it is."

"I know your dad will be pleased you accepted."

"Yes he would." He yelled from the window as the taxi pulled off down the driveway from his family's Hanover mansion as he headed home to Leo with his great news. They were going to spend the entire summer together working for Mr. Jack Kennedy's Presidential Campaign. Jed couldn't care less about whether he was picking up the staff's trash ... he and Leo could spend the entire summer together. Jed was euphoric.

Part 4
Interlude III

Vermont Woods
The Prior Weekend
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they were at the lake, he had secretly been able to get 2 fingers into himself, but he never had the nerve to get his 3rd one in. There always seemed to be too much pain, so there was little doubt in his mind that taking Leo's thickness would hurt. He would be a man about it, though ... he wanted Leo... he would take responsibility for himself.

As soon as they were in their tent, Leo striped off their clothes and they wrestled around a little on the cool grass covered ground. They started kissing each other and hands played over their secret tender spots, they sucked and nibbled and teased every inch of each other in dark tent. Finally Leo rolled them over so Jed was on top of him.

"I have to do something." His voice was raw and nervous and that, more than anything, scared the hell out of Josiah. Leopold McGarry wasn't afraid of anyone or anything. Jed whispered to him. "What?"

"Sebastian said I had to put stuff in you ... to uhh...to ...to make it...to make it fit."

"You talked to Sebastian?"

"Of course I did!"

"Leo, I love you."

"I love you too, Josiah."

"I told you don't call me that, my dad does that." They shared a good-natured laugh and smiled and shared a tender kiss.

"Ok," Jed said finally. "What do you want me to do?"

"Lay over my legs, I guess," Leo sat up.

"Like this."

"Yeah, just like that."

"What are you gonna do spank me, Leopold?"

"You are such a brat Jed."

"I know." Jed teased.

SWAT.

"Shit Leo...owwiieee. What did you do that for?"

"Don't tease the devil, Josiah."

"I hate you, Leo."

"I love you too, Jed."

Carefully Leo held Jed's cheeks apart finding his secret opening in the dark, since using his lamp meant alerting all the others in the camp, not wanting to have ringside seats of Jed's deflowering.

"Here goes," Leo muttered smearing some a large glob of Vaseline over Jed's anus and began to slowly rub it into him. Gently stroking the hole.

"What the hell." Leo gasped suddenly. Surprised at the ease with which his stubby finger gained entry. "Uhhh Jed."

"Leo."

"Jed...Jed." His voice was more insistent, his finger sunk deep within Josiah.

"Ok ok. Dougie told me I should do the same thing."

"So have you?"

There was a mysterious quality to Leo's voice that Jed did not recognize at first, then he realized that his boyfriend was turned on by the thought of him fingering himself in the process of preparing himself for him.

"Yes." Jed shivered as Leo proceeded to finger him.

"When?"

"When you...uhh...when you were at practice...Jesus, Leo, that feels sooo..." he groaned into his hands.

"It feels good?"

"You must be getting dense in your old age ... of course it feel good."

"For how long has this been going on?"

"A couple weeks."

He groaned. "So every day, while Coach had me sweating my ass off, you were tucked away in our room doing this?"

"Yes ... Ohhh...right there. Damn it, Leo, stop asking so many stupid questions."

Leo proceeded unhindered by Jed's muffled cries to slip another finger into Jed.

Jed groaned, beginning to curl up in Leo's lap, who spanked him again on his other cheek.

"Don't move." He gritted through clenched teeth intent on his task. He felt Jed's attempt to reign in impulse to move against his erection as he lay in his lap. He ran his free hand over the area he had just slapped, it felt warm ... warm and inviting to his touch. Leo gave in to his impulse to squeeze Jed's firm behind, marvelling as Jed's cock jumped in reaction to it. He continued to twist and scissor his fingers, widening Jed's opening. He spanked Jed's butt firmly and with the same rhythm, he delved deep into Jed. With on last slap harder than the others he simultaneously slipped a third finger into his lover. Jed barely whimpered and Leo continued to prepare him.

"Leo ... I need you ... please." He didn't utter another word. He thought about his conversation with Matt Sebastian "three's the magic number, Leopold."

So after a few more deep strokes burying his 3 fingers into Jed, he slipped them free and pulled Jed up to kneel facing him.

"Did I hurt you?"

"A little."

When he felt Leo tense in his arms, he quickly added. "Its okay it felt good when you rubbed it after. Your hands felt so good on me...warm and soothing."

He laughed, avoiding Leo's eyes by laying his head on his shoulder.

"And my fingers."

"I'm fine...I'm ready Leo."

"Okay."

"Okay."

A little uncertainty lingered between them as they separated. Leo reached out in the dark for the tub of Vaseline to find that Jed already had it.

"Let me," Jed said as he kissed Leo's lips softly, then bent over to hold Leo's thickness in his hand, gasping at its girth as it wept in his hand.

"Jed."

"Don't get angry."

"You're afraid."

"Yes," the shyness seeping into his voice. "but I still want us to continue. I want you."

"You're just scared."

"Yes ...aren't you?"

"A little."

Jed had not moved, still bent over, hovering over Leo's cock as he looked up to him, whispering. Then he dipped his head and kissed the tip of Leo's large cock, causing him to tremble.

"We'll take care of each other. Won't we?"

"Of course we will. We'll help each other okay...forever. Jed, I love you."

"I love you too." Jed kissed Leo's iron hard erection, this time his tongue snaked out, tasting Leo's slippery precum before he lathered on generous amounts of Vaseline onto him. "You think that will be enough?"

"If it doesn't work we can always stop and add more. Can't we?"

Jed and Leo hugged each other once more. Their skin was warm against each other in the cold night.

"Did Matt say how we should..."

"No, but I think I should lay on my back."

Which he did and held his hand out to Jed who knelt at his side.

"Sit over my hips."

Jed was acquiescent to his words.

"You have to tell me if you want to stop okay Jed."

Jed nodded slightly in reply.

"Jed."

"Yes ... I nodded ... yes...I'll tell you I promise."

"You're trembling."

'I know."

"Are you sure about this?"

"Yes...I want you."

He arranged himself over Leo.

"You're going to have to hold me ... and put me where ... where I have to be."

"Can't you just find it?"

"Jed!"

"Okay."

With trembling fingers he held his boyfriends thick rod, helping its wide blunt head as it sought the opening to his soul. After tonight, there would never be a moment where he could hide his soul from Leo. Leo would be a part of him.

He was startled as a warm hand clasped around his.

"We'll always take care of each other," Leo whispered.

Jed gasped as he felt Leo's brush along his greased rosette.

"Sit slooooowly."

"I'm scared." From his tone Leo knew his lover was an the verge crying as his sphincter gave way easily to the head of his solid penis. Letting go of Jed's hand, he held his naked hips, stopping his descent three inches down his shaft.

"Jed we have to stop ... now!"

"Why?"

"Cause I'm scared I'm hurting you."

"Can't we just stop for a little while?"

"I doubt you'll be able to stay above me like that."

"Maybe we should move."

"How?"

"I want you on top of me."

"On your tummy?"

"No...on my back."

"Like a girl?'

"Fuck you, Leo," Jed growled, inhaling sharply as he eased off Leo.

"I'm sorry."

Jed lay on his back beside Leo. "Is that how you see me?"

"No."

"Do you still want me?" Propping his head up in the palm of his hand he looked down at Leo beside him.

"The question is, do you still want me? We can back out of this anytime.'

"You really are scared to, aren't you?"

"Yes...shouldn't we be?"

"I guess." Jed kissed Leo cheek. "Come on...I may never find the nerve again."

"Then maybe we shouldn't."

"Leooooo." He groaned impatiently flopping back to the ground.

"Okay...bossy." He kissed Jed reaching out to touch his cock lying somewhat diminished against his abdomen. Jed followed his lead, beginning to massage Leo's grease slick manhood back to full erection.

"Ready." Jed's voice was raw with emotion.

"Uhh...hhhuh."

Leo positioned himself between Jed's spread thighs. "I'm ready too." Jed admitted as Leo held his hips again, this time raising them off the damp ground to place the bulky blanket they were going to use to cover themselves under his behind. He held his cock in his right hand, finding Jed's entrance. He placed a light kiss on Jed's stomach just above his navel, eliciting a murmur of pleasure from his lips. He trailed his tongue along the center of Jed's chest then he gently pressed the first three inches into Jed. His lover moaned beneath him.

"Slower, okay."

"Okay."

He lifted his head for just a second before completing the wet circle he was making around Jed's left nipple, deciding to suckle it as he eased further into him.

"Ohh, Leo."

"Am I hurting you." Leo was quick to ask.

"Jed...Jed." He demanded when Jed didn't answer.

"No ... No ... it feels strange. It hurts but ... ohh God I feel so full ...I feel so good to be full of you. I love you."

"Should we stop?"

"Hell no ... I'm ok ...promised ... just slowly ok." He sucked on his lower lip not to moan to loudly. "How does it feel- I mean to you."

"You mean how does it feel to be wrapped inside you ... to feel completely a part of you?"

"Yes, you moron."

"Ahh, what can I say ... it feels magnificent."

He pushed his still stiffening penis further into Jed.

'Tell me more." Jed exhaled after holding his breath as Leo advanced into him.

"You are so tight ...I feel like you're going to crush me even as you just breathe."

'That means you'll just love this," Jed teased, clenching on Jed's hot rod sinking into him.

"Ohh sweet mother." Jed managed a giggle at Leo's reaction. "Don't do that again ... I almost ..."

"You poor thing," Jed teased further. Leo's free hand went to Jed's deflated cock between them but was immediately yanked away.

"No ... I just want to feel you inside me," Jed's voice growing serious.

They lay quiet for a while, waiting for Leo to get himself back under control, when they both gasped loudly, looking at each other incredulously, as Jed's body somehow seemed to pull Leo deeper into him. The sensation was amazing and instinctively Leo slammed his remaining three and a half inches into Jed's unsuspecting body.

Jed screamed, clutching at the grass beneath them. His breathing was in tiny gasps as he tried to come to grips with the uncontrollable emotions and sensations that washed through him, trying to still his sobs.

"Jesus," Leo muttered in the process of withdrawing.

"Leo...No... you promised ... you promised."

"What the hell is going on in there?" A voice yelled from outside

"Steven don't take another step! We're fine...aren't we Leo?"

"Yes. Steven don't come in here ... we're ..." he leaned closer to Jed who raised his head to kiss him softly whispering, "We're going to be okay."

Jed nodded.

"We're fine Steven," he repeated louder.

"We can stay like this as long as you want."

"I don't think I want you to stay there anymore."

"What?"

"I want you to move." Leo's face was a few inches way from his and he leaned forward licking his nose before repeating himself. "I said you can move now...make love to me."

"Oh God." Leo groaned starting to a slow rhythm in Jed.

"Yes...Ohh Yes Leo... Harder," he demanded.

"Jed."

"I said harder Leo...and faster too."

"Like this."

Leo doubled his speed and ferocity. Jed's body yielded to his thrusts and Jed was soon arching his back, pushing his behind up to receive Leo's vicious thrusts.

They were gasping for air and grunting towards their climax. Their pace was frantic as Jed egged Leo on.

"Harder Mc Garry."

"You called me Mc Garry."

"Yes I did, now maybe you'll listen to me ... harder ..."

"Shut up, Josiah."

Leo held his lover down, using his hips to aim his thrust against his prostrate, which seemed the only measure to keep Jed's mouth groaning instead of giving his insane orders.

"Ohh God, faster."

The actual thought flashed through Leo's head long after his hand came crashing down on Jed's tender behind; for a second he worried, then he realized. Rather than causing his lovers mood to completely crash, Jed squirmed for a moment before convulsing. His once again hard cock bobbed as his cum fountained up against Leo's chest. Unconsciously Jed clenched himself around Leo immediately causing him to cum inside him, yelling his name and falling unconscious onto him.

When Leo came too Jed's fingers were curling around his fingers as snickering and laughing filtered in from outside from their friends.

"I don't think we have the quiet thing down yet."

Jed laughed. Eliciting even more laughter outside. "Neither do we." Douglas giggled outsider their tent.

"Go away you assholes or I'll come out there."

"Seems like you came in there pretty good already Mc Garry," William replied.

Jed held Leo close, kissing the top of his head as he wiggled the blanket from under them and tried to spread it over them. "Forget about them. I want you to hold me."

"Happily."

St. Angela's Preparatory
School For Boys
June 1960 - the present
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leo had not blacked out since that night though they did make love every night that week. Sometimes it was as intense as their first night but mostly it was like tonight ... gentle but always passionate.

He came quietly. Leo was buried deep within him, as he straddled his hips. His face was tucked into the nook of Leo's neck smelling long blonde hair. They lay in the moonlight, cuddled together, happier than they could ever express in words, but luckily they knowing what they shared was extraordinary...and this and their dream summer to follow was only the beginning.

 

END