Fic: The Best Laid Plans

Author: CJ

Feedback at corijea@yahoo.com

Fandom: Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea

Pairing: Chip/Lee

Summary: Jealousy rears its ugly head, things don't go as planned.

Rating: PG, no sex scenes. Sorry

Archive: Sure

Disclaimer: Not mine, no money was made

 

The Best Laid Plans
By CJ


Keeping his face as expressionless as possible, Commander Chip Morton glanced towards his office door as it opened. Yep. Lee was at it again. It never failed to amaze him how insecure Lee could be. The man was practically a sex god at times and he still worried that he wasn't enough to satisfy Chip. Morton found this totally ridiculous. Lee was the one who had been the wilder of the two with all his experiences working for ONI. As far as Chip was concerned, being able to feast his eyes on Lee’s naked body would have satisfied him. Now that he could reach out and touch, he was in seventh heaven. How could anyone else ever live up to his love and desire for Lee Crane.

Stifling a laugh at the look on his temp secretary’s face as her eyes almost popped out of her head, Chip flashed a warning glance at his troublesome lover. Lee’s eyes only narrowed as he stared coolly back. "Mr. Morton, do you have the repair estimates for the flying sub. The Admiral wants to go over them with me." Lee’s faded black leather jacket was half off his shoulders. The white t-shirt underneath fit too well, drawing the eye to the erect nipples poking out from the lean but muscular chest. He placed his hands on jean-clad hips, thumbs hooked over a wide leather belt, and smiled charmingly at Charlee Martino, the lady replacing Chip’s regular secretary. His legs were spread, stretching the denim taut across his groin, the solidly muscled thighs temptingly displayed and begging for a hand to slide caressingly upwards. Chip’s palms and lips itched… to slap that firm rump and tell the brat to behave.

Crane ignored the disapproval emanating from his Exec and checked out his competition. "I'm sorry Miss Martino. You'll have to excuse my, uh… informal attire." His teeth flashed white as his grin broadened. Like a sharks, Chip thought. "This meeting with Nelson was spur of the moment." Lee laughed lightly, eyes still intent on Martino’s. "I'd hate for you to think I normally dress like this at work."

"Oh, don't apologize on my account, Captain." Charlee blurted out. "I have no problem with the way you look… um, dress." She felt like a snowball in Florida. Was it that hot in here earlier? My god, that man was a dreamboat! Her sweaty palms made it difficult to keep hold of her pencil and pad. Oh, momma! Would she love to run her fingers through that ruffled hair and…!

Chip thought drolly that if her tongue hung out any further she'd be stabbing it with her pencil as she took shorthand. He couldn't blame her. It was hard for him to keep his own tongue in his mouth. Lee killed him when he dressed like that. If Jiggs got a look at the Captain of Seaview at this moment, he'd have a stroke. "No man who looks like that could possibly make an effective submarine captain." Chip had overheard him lecturing to Nelson. "I've never met a good-looking man or woman in the command structure who wasn't a prima donna." Admiral Starke had shaken his head in disgust. "You'll regret keeping him on as Captain, Harry. Mark my words!" Catching the Exec’s eye, Nelson had only winked behind Starke’s back. "We'll see, Jiggs." Thinking of that moment, Chip had to smile. Less than a week later Admiral Starke was talking out of the other side of his mouth, a staunch Crane supporter, even if he still thought Lee was too soft on discipline.

The hackles on Lee’s neck rose stiffly, why was Chip smiling at Charlee like that? Lee’s own smile became brittle with restrained anger. The lady was lovely, blonde like Chip and with the same deep blue eyes. He didn't trust her an inch. "The estimates, Mr. Morton." Lee bit out shortly, wondering how he could get her transferred. Wasn't Roberts down in the records department whining about never getting assigned anyone of Angie and Tish’s caliber or good looks? Mrs. Kensington was efficient, so what if she was past retirement age, she did her job well. Maybe Lee could talk to Roberts about a trade. Why did Chip’s happily married secretary have to go off and have a baby anyway?

It hadn't escaped Lee’s notice that the women in the secretary pool had been battling over who got to fill in as Chip’s temporary aide. The attractive Commander Morton was well known for his easygoing nature with his office staff. Most of the ladies who had filled-in at one time or another adored the man. There were many left disappointed as Miss Martino came out the lucky winner. In Lee’s estimation that made her a dangerous adversary, her coworkers were no pushovers. Crane was already aware she'd bragged to Angie that Chip would be eating out of her hand by the end of the month. Since Angie reportedly only laughed hysterically in Charlee’s face, Lee knew she would be determined to succeed, if only to prove Angie wrong. If Lee had anything to do about it, Chip would be in too much of a hurry to get home to accept any invitations to dinner or a "working" lunch. A wicked gleam entered Lee’s expression, sending Charlee’s blood pressure skyrocketing.

"Skipper?" Chip stood beside his Captain, arms folded across his chest, folder hanging from one hand. "You don't want to keep the Admiral waiting." Chip knew Lee had no such appointment. He had been ducking into Morton’s office everyday on one pretense or another. It was flattering that Lee thought Chip was so irresistible but this had to stop. Lee was getting out of hand with this last endeavor to distract his lover. There was no way Morton wanted Lee running around the Institute looking like that in front of all and sundry, especially when any of the crew might see him. It was bad enough knowing that Lee featured in several crewmembers' fantasies. He didn't want to give anyone else encouragement or fodder for their dreams. Lee wasn't the only one who got jealous. "On second thought, Lee. There are some things you might want to bring to the Admiral’s attention." Pulling the papers out of his startled Captain’s reach, Chip turned to his secretary. "Charlee, would you mind stepping outside and giving us a few minutes privacy? We'll be discussing top-secret information. Have a snack or coffee break." Well, their relationship was top-secret information. At least they were trying to keep it that way. Chip wasn't sure how successful they had been. The Institute was filled with geniuses.

Watching Miss Martino stumble clumsily to her feet, embarrassed as she dropped her things left and right, Lee began to relax. Maybe he'd been worried over nothing. She certainly didn't act like a consummate seducer. Feeling more friendly towards her he bent down to help her gather her papers only to groan in pain as the back of her head smacked into his face. His vision exploded with white dots. A needle-sharp sting pierced agonizingly through his cheekbone. He swayed on his knees.

"I'm so sorry, Captain." Charlee apologized. "Did I hurt you?" she crooned. One soft hand cupped gently under his chin coaxing him into looking at her, the other spread across his bent thigh as she used it to keep her balance. Lee blinked rather dazedly at her; she was so close, her blue eyes wide and concerned. They did resemble Chip’s in color and depth. Lee stared as she tenderly stroked over the growing discolor on his cheekbone. "Oh. That is going to be a nasty bruise." One finger traced around it carefully. Her voice was regretful. "Let me get you something cold to put on it."

"That won't be necessary." Chip fumed. If Charlee ever had a clumsy day in her privileged life he'd eat his uniform. That woman had deliberately done that to his lover! And she still had her hands all over him! He lifted Lee to his feet. Holding him securely by the arm as Lee was wavering unsteadily.

"It won't be any trouble." Charlee insisted. She held Lee by the other arm. Standing near enough to wear his jacket. The scent of leather and cologne made her body flush with desire. She wanted nothing more than to take him home and peel him out of all that leather and denim. She'd have him leave the t-shirt on.

Lee’s gaze shifted dizzily from one to the other. He felt like a pull toy. He was beginning to think his plan to drive Chip crazy with desire was backfiring.

Morton’s eyes were pure blue ice. If she didn't take her greedy hands off Lee Crane, Chip was going to have to step on those pretty little toes of hers. "Lee, sit down."

Charlee wasn't sure how it happened but somehow Chip was between her and Lee, steering him behind the desk and into the padded chair. She fumed inwardly; stalking around to Lee’s other side. "I've had a lot of experience with my brother’s getting roughed up. I think I may have cracked his cheekbone." She was furious with herself, she hadn't meant to hit him that hard." She smiled warmly, running her fingers through that oh-so-soft hair as Lee gazed up at her blearily. The man had the most unusual eyes. She sighed. They were gorgeous. "But if you prefer to get a cold pack yourself, I would be happy to watch Lee… I mean Captain Crane."

I'll just bet you would! "That won't be necessary either, Miss Martino." Chip’s tone was frigid, freezing her to the bone. "I'll be escorting Lee to see Doc Jamison."

Charlee was beginning to get the idea that Chip was jealous. Ha! That would show Angie what a joke Charlee wasn't, the month wasn't even up yet. Too bad for Mr. Morton she had her eye on larger prey, he'd have to find another girl. She'd had no idea the very-proper Lee Crane could dress down so wonderfully. He simply oozed sex appeal.

Self-preservation brought Lee determinedly to his feet. Glancing from one glowering blonde to the other, Lee chose Chip as the safer exit point. Using his best command demeanor, shaky as it was at the moment, he moved forward. Habit had Chip falling back and Lee slipped by before he could be stopped. "I'll escort myself to see Jamie, Chip." Lee smiled insincerely, trying to stand without wobbling. "I know you and Miss Martino have unfinished business to discuss. I didn't mean to interrupt," he lied, moving furtively towards the door. At both Charlee’s and Chip’s exclamations of protest, Lee fled. Chip’s "You'd better be headed to see Doc!" ringing in his ears. Safely outside in the hallway, Lee slumped against the wall, breathing a sigh of relief. He was guessing that Charlee was no longer anyone he needed to worry about leaving alone with Chip. He wouldn't speak to Roberts about that transfer after all. In fact, this might work out to suit Lee very well. The way the two were glaring at each other when he left, it was a safe bet both of them would be getting on each other’s nerves. The atmosphere in there for the rest of the month should be interesting. Lee grinned, holding his aching cheek in one palm. Chip would have all that repressed anger and jealousy to vent when he got home. Passionate emotions that Lee was more than willing to help Chip work off. Deciding he should get home before the swelling in his cheek spread to his eye and became a driving hazard, Lee stood upright. This was nothing to bother Jamie over. The Doc had more important tasks to tend to than a bruised face. Lee turned, almost bouncing off of Sharkey.

"Geez, sir." Sharkey was concerned. Mr. Morton had told him Lee had been accidentally injured, but this was a doozy. "That’s a heck of a shiner you've got."

"Thank you for pointing that out, Chief." Lee snapped. "I hadn’t noticed." Crane was sure Morton had sicced Sharkey on him. The stubborn paranoid blonde! Sure enough, Sharkey's next words confirmed his theory.

"The Exec… I mean Mr. Morton, sir, told me you needed assistance to the infirmary." Chief Sharkey readied himself for the storm he was certain would follow his statement. He wasn't sure if the Skipper’s continued silence was a good thing or not. "Doc Jamison was notified you were on the way and is waiting for you."

Lee’s irritation with Chip multiplied exponentially, that suspicious interfering… He was fine! It’s not like he had a concussion or a broken limb. Okay, he might have a concussion; plenty of experience enabled him to recognize the symptoms. But it was only a small one! Damn Chip for being so consistently overprotective… When was his lover going to realize Lee was a grown man and perfectly capable of looking after himself? If he needed medical attention, he would ask for it! Crane stared at the chief and steamed, pondering his choices. He could brush Sharkey off now, but he wouldn't put it beyond the chief to go running to the Admiral. In which case, Lee would be running into the Admiral in the foyer. Either way he was ending up in Jamie’s clutches again.

Grunting resignedly, Lee headed for the elevator and the infirmary. This was not the evening he'd had planned when he dropped in on Chip! Instead of wrapping himself around a warm supple blonde in his own bed, knowing Jamison, he would probably end up wrapping himself around with cold stiff sheets in a hospital bed. All because he was too insecure to stay home and wait for Chip. Jealousy stunk!

END