Title: Repercussions

By S

firstcorpsanv@webtv.net

Fandom Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea

 Pairing: Nelson/Crane

Repercussions

By S

Lee Crane pulled into the driveway in front of the impressive Spanish-style house. The red-tiled roof was a common sight in southern
California and it, along with the weathered stone effect, gave the large home the air of an old Spanish monastery.

As soon as the officer knocked on the heavy wooden door, a tall gray-haired man with green eyes opened. "Commander, come in. Jon's
waiting for you in the living room."

"Thanks, Richard. Your home is certainly beautiful."

"Thank you. It isn't quite finished yet, but I wanted Jon to be out here in the sunshine so we just came ahead."

At the end of the long entranceway with its terracotta tiles, Crane noticed a magnificent painting gracing one wall. "That's "View of
Toledo" by El Greco, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is. Of course, it's a copy, but that's always been one of my favorites so I thought it would be appropriate for our new house."

Crane nodded. This was his first visit to the new home of Richard Twining and Jonathan Paige. It was also the first time that he had seen
the CEO of Twining Industries since a misunderstanding had occurred about the relationship between Crane and Paige. To compound the
difficulty there had also been a question about the relationship between Twining and Lee's lover, Harriman Nelson.

Twining had called to apologize for the remarks he had made to Crane, but the Skipper could still feel a slight frostiness on Richard's part
so he decided that he would be tactful and not give the tall, muscular man any room for complaints.

This turned out to be somewhat difficult when he and Twining walked into the massive living room to find Jon Paige waiting for them. Paige immediately walked over to embrace his friend. Feeling the Captain tense, Jon whispered in his ear, "Don't worrry."

Still feeling awkward, Crane did try to relax. He was very happy to see Paige who had been severely wounded a month before. "Jon, you're looking much better than the last time I saw you."

"I'm feeling fine. You, on the other hand, need a few pounds. What happened?"

"Uh, well, I had the flu and...."

"That's rough. I had it a couple of years ago and it really made me feel rotten."

"Excuse me, Jon, it's time for your pill. I thought I'd get us all some iced tea, if that's all right?"

"Good idea, Richard, why don't you bring a tray in here?"

"Come on, Lee, sit down over here and tell me what you've been doing and why you haven't called in several weeks?"

Crane flushed. "Well, I came down with the flu and was in the infirmary for a couple of days and...."

"Are you telling me you were so sick you couldn't call me and let me know?"

"It wasn't that bad, Jon, and besides you were laid up yourself."

The dark-haired man with the amber eyes stared squarely at his handsome friend. "That's not the only reason, is it?"

Before Crane could reply, Richard Twining reentered with a tray filled with a pitcher and four glasses. "I brought another glass in case the
Admiral wants something to drink when he arrives."

"I'm sure he'll be here soon. Just before I left the Insitute, he called to say that his meeting was almost over. I believe it was to do
with funding for some upcoming cruises."

"I know how that is. I was just talking to Senator Pike on the phone the other day. He has convinced one of his colleagues that our project will be stretched to the bare minimum if more funding isn't made available. I am so pleased that he has finally come around to our way of thinking."

"That...that is good news. I hope all goes well when you come on board SEAVIEW."

Crane tried to nod in all the right places as Richard Twining continued on with one of his favorite subjects. He was extremely passionate about the idea of relieving third world hunger by using the bounties of the sea. He could talk about the project, that both he and Nelson were devoted to, for hours.

Jon Paige had noticed the look on Crane's face when the name of Senator Irving Pike had been mentioned. It was not the first time he had seen that look and it concerned him. He and the Captain were close friends, but Jon was sure that there were still secrets that the Skipper had not divulged to anyone about the ordeal he had undergone at the hands of George Dunn.

Fortunately, the door chime signaled the arrival of Harriman Nelson who came breezing in his forthright manner. After sitting down to a cold glass of iced tea, the red-haired man apologized once again for being late. Turning to Jon, he asked about his health.

"I'm fine and anxious to get back to work."

"Jon, we're out here for a break so let's not talk about your going back to work for awhile. It's bad enough that we have to go back in three weeks for the trial."

"So you are going to go ahead and testify about this man Barnes, I take it?"

Jonathan Paige leaned back against the leather couch. "Of course. I can't let him get away with what he did to the company."

Richard Twining jumped up and started to pace. "Dammit, Jon, it's not the company I care about. I know that bastard tried to kill you."

"Richard, sit down. It doesn't do your blood pressure any good to get so excited."

Chagrined the CEO sat down by his lover. "Don't you think you should go lie down for awhile. You know the doctor said you needed to rest."

"It seems like all I do is rest and besides we usually don't have such distinguished company as the Admiral and Captain of SEAVIEW."

Twining chuckled. "Well, that's true, but after all I've got more stars than either of them!" Now, everyone laughed at the reference to the
6-starred admiral's pin that Nelson had given Richard as "Admiral of the Periscope."

"Speaking of periscopes, Richard, one of the duties of that rank is to thoroughly polish the lens and mounting everyday while you're on board."

"What?"

The blue eyes twinkled as he watched the consternation on the CEO's face. "We'll make a sailor out of you yet."

"Harri, that reminds me. You said you'd teach me how to tie some knots so that when I buy a boat...."

Paige reached out his hand to grab his lover's arm. "You aren't still talking about that, are you?"

"Jon, it's going to be my anniversary present to you."

"I thought this house was!"

In almost a little boy voice, the CEO quietly remarked, "I like buying presents for you."

Hugging the big man, Paige teased, "Now, that's strange because I thought the boat was really a present for yourself since the Admiral
won't sell you SEAVIEW!"

Lee Crane watched as the two men bantered with each other. The love between them was so blatant. At one time he and Harri had done the same although they had never been as forthcoming about the nature of their relationship as the other two men.

Rubbing his forehead against the headache he felt beginning to blossom behind his eyes, he remembered the wonderful times the two men had had since they had become lovers. Even the memory of George Dunn couldn't wipe those away. And things were starting to get back to normal with the help of Dr. Rob Blake who had encouraged Lee to be more open with Nelson about his feelings.

Crane felt that he had been on a huge tortuous journey, but that he was almost to his desination. There were only a few more obstacles to
overcome. One was the confrontation with Luis Ortero. In two days Nelson was to meet with the man to  secure the formulas which had cost the life of Chief Sharkey.

After that, then there was the cruise with Jon, Richard, and Senator Pike. Just the thought of Pike being on SEAVIEW made his blood run
cold, but he was fairly confident that the politician would not risk his position for revenge. 

"Lee, are you all right?" Amber eyes regarded him with concern.

Realizing that he must have missed part of the conversation, he quickly answered, "Sure, just a little tired."

"Do you want to lie down?"

"No, if you'll excuse me, I'll just use the bathroom for a moment."

"It's that door off the entranceway."

"Thanks."

While the Captain was gone, the three men sat there for a moment. Then Jon broached the subject of Lee's therapy. "Harri, how is he doing?"

"Better, much better. He actually argues with me at times. Of course, this bout with the flu has worn him down. I think Dr. Blake has been of help."

"Good. I must admit that I had my doubts whether he would ever consent to talk to a therapist."

When Crane returned the four men talked for a few minutes, then Richard Twining suggested that he take his two visitors for a tour of the
grounds. Nelson agreed without hesitation, but suggested that perhaps Lee might prefer a tour of the house. Crane smiled gratefully. It was obvious that Nelson knew his Captain was exhausted and this would give him an excuse to stay behind. Plus it would give the scientist and Twining a chance to talk together. Lee welcomed the chance to prove that he trusted Harri implicitly.

So it was that Richard and Harri headed outside to view the extensive grounds while Lee and Jon stayed inside. Jon did take him on a short tour of the house. Richard Twining had spared no expense on the interior of the home. Everything was of the finest, but it was still a
home not a museum. There was only one room that Jon did not allow Lee to see and that was the guestroom because he wanted both Lee and Harri to see it together since it had been planned with the two of them in mind.

After admiring the beautiful desks in the study, Lee and Jon returned to the living room with its huge fireplace and ship's clock. "It really is a beautiful place, Jon. I'm sure the two of you will be happy here."

"I think so too, but I'd like to talk to you before Harri and Richard return."

"What about?"

"Lee, I understand why you didn't tell me about finding Richard and Harri together...."

"Richard told you?"

"Yes, he felt terrible about what happened. I'm sorry you were hurt by it."

"It threw me for a time, but I knew Richard wouldn't...couldn't while you were in the hospital like that."

"He likes to pretend he's this tough guy who doesn't need comfort, but I'm glad your Harri could help him that night."

"I am too. Harri sometimes finds it...difficult to forget years of training so he must really care about Richard to do that."

"Just as I care about you."

"I know. You're important to me too."

"Then why did you stop calling me once you knew I was going to be okay?"

"I...I didn't stop calling. I called to ask how you were doing—a couple of times a week."

Puzzled, the dark-haired security officer shook his head. "But Lee, I have only talked to you a couple of times during this past month."

"Well, I talked to Richard or once or twice the nurse that was staying with you. They gave me updates."

"Updates? But didn't you think I'd want to hear about you? You're hospitalized with the flu and I didn't even know it!"

The brown-gold eyes lowered against the words of Jon Paige. "I'm sorry. The most important thing was that you were going to be okay and then this thing with Ortero came up. I'll be so glad when Harri gets the formulas and it's all over with ."

"Ortero? Isn't he the one....?"

"Yes. Jon, I'm really worried this is going to be dangerous for Harri. At least Chip is going to go with him as backup."

"Ah, the handsome Mr. Morton."

Crane looked surprised. "Jon...."

"Relax, Lee, I'm not interested in him for myself. It's just that I have this friend in L.A. who I think would be very good for your Exec."

"Good?"

"Mr. Morton isn't involved with anyone, is he?"

"No, he dates a lot, but I ...."

"Lee, my friend is a male."

"How...how did you know he might be interested in a man?"

"Let's just say that I did. Do you think he would object if I invited him to a housewarming party that Richard and I are planning after the
trial. We want to have it just before the SEAVIEW cruise."

"Well, I guess he would come. He mentioned that you seemed to be a nice guy."

"Good. Then I'll also invite Jason and let the Chips fall where they may!"

Twining and Nelson returned to the house to the laughter of the two men they loved. After so many months of pain, the laughter sounded wonderful to their ears.

(2a)

Harriman Nelson and Lee Crane walked out to their respective automobiles after having dinner with their friends, Richard Twining and Jonathan Paige. It had made a perfect end to the enjoyable day while the four men had renewed their friendship. Now that Twining and Paige would be spending more time on the West Coast, it seemed likely that this dinner
would be the first of many.

Leaving the beautiful home, Crane glanced up at the star-filled sky. "Jon and Richard are certainly fortunate to have their new home out here. Every star looks close enough to touch."

Nelson walked up close to his lover. "Lee, would it be all right with you if I followed you back to your place and spent the night?"

"But I thought you were going back to the penthouse?'

"I know I said that this mornng, but since we have only one more full day before I meet Ortero, I'd like to spend the night with you."

"Well, of course, if you want to, but we could both go to the penthouse..."

"No, I'd prefer to be at your place. I always seem to get inopportune calls at mine."

Crane smiled. "Well, that is true. Okay, you know the way. I'll meet you there."

Twenty minutes later Crane and Nelson entered the small apartment. Turning on the light in the living room, Crane asked if Nelson wanted a drink, only to be grabbed by the shorter man and given a searing kiss. "No, I just want you. Let's go to bed."

The Skipper was somewhat surprised. In the last couple of weeks, Nelson had rarely initiated any sexual encounters, hoping to give Lee a feeling of control and also because of the after effects of the flu.

Hurriedly stripping the younger man, the Admiral began to caress and lick the beautiful body beneath him. "Admiral, wait, could you...could you take off your clothes too?" Impatient with the wait, the 4-star admiral complied then resumed his foreplay.

"Oh God, Lee, it seems like forever since I've made love to you." Taking one of the Skipper's slender hands, he wrapped it around his own throbbing shaft, bringing himself to almost instant arousal. Groaning with pleasure, he thrust into the encircling palm. "Lee, please, I need to feel your mouth on me."

Without another word, the dark head bent down and caressed the engorged cock. The sensation was almost torture as if he was tickling the older man. Nelson bucked, trying to thrust into the wet mouth. "Lee, suck me, get me wet."

Even as the young officer provided the lubrication, Nelson circled the base of his shaft with his fingers so that he would not come too quickly. He wanted more this night. He loved to come in Lee's mouth, but tonight he was determined to be one with his lover as he had been so many times before. Finally, even the pressure of Nelson's fingers could not stave off the impending explosion so Lee flipped over on his stomach to feel the hard probe of his red-haired lover enter him.

The heat and tightness was exquisite as Neslon stopped to allow himself a moment to back off. As it was, he knew that it would take only a few thrusts to push him over the edge. "Good, Lee. Isn't it good? It's been so long. I want you so much." Pulling out a few inches, he shoved himself back in, again he did the same and again, until the friction became unbearable and his body released itself in a mammoth orgasm. The stocky man trembled for unending moments then slumped over the slender back as Nelson could not bear to leave that beautiful body.

Finally, the softening of his organ forced him to slip down beside the younger man who wrapped him in his arms. Watching the blue eyes close into sleep, Crane gently pushed back some of the red hair which had slipped down over the blue eyes. Then he kissed the now sleeping man. **I'm glad you still need me, Harri. I just wish it was me going with you to see Ortero.** Crane held the sleeping man for some time as his own arousal subsided. **Plenty of time for that when Harri's safely back on SEAVIEW.** Finally, the Captain joined his beloved admiral in sleep.

*

At dawn two days later SEAVIEW set sail on her mission to secure the information that Luis Ortero had promised to deliver only to Harriman Nelson. The scientist had been surprised when Lee had agreed that it was best if the Skipper did not accompany the older man. The brunet knew that physically he was still not up to his own rigorous standards
and he would not take any chance with Nelson's safety. Fortunately, the Exec had agreed to go along as backup.

Ortero had notified Nelson that he would meet him at an out-of-the way rendezvous which would take approximately take three days to reach. For those three days Lee Crane strived to keep his mind on his duty, but it was difficult because a strange sense of foreboding kept creeping in. He wanted to beg Nelson not to meet with the brother of the man who had betrayed them before, but he knew Nelson was a stubborn man who would do his duty, whatever the cost.

On the afternoon of the third day, SEAVIEW reached the coordinates where she was to launch the boat that would carry Nelson and Morton to meet the other scientist. Morton would carry a gun, but stay in the boat when Nelson went ashore. Crane couldn't help but wish that Patterson and Kowalski could have gone along too. He knew they would be invaluable if something went wrong.

Watching the small boat head towards land, Crane felt a cold shiver up and down his spine despite the tropical heat. Still, he had orders to wait and Lee Crane rarely disobeyed orders.

As soon as the small boat touched land, Harriman Nelson jumped out onto the sand. "Chip, you stay here. I'm supposed to find Ortero in a small building about 100 yards from here. If there's any trouble, get the hell out of here."

"But sir...."

"That's an order, Mr. Morton."

"Aye, aye, Sir." **But you must know I wouldn't leave you. I couldn't face Lee if I did that.**

Nelson had only moved about twenty-five yards when a dazzling light blinded him. A silky voice called to him from the ebony of the darkness. "Ah, Admiral, so you did come? I was not sure you were that desperate. And who is that with you? Could it be your Captain Crane?"

"Ortero, is that you? Turn off that light."

"Of course, it is I. I have been waiting for you for sometime. Now ask the good Captain to join us."

"It's not...." A shot rang out hitting the sand at Nelson's feet.

"I said to tell your Captain to join us."

Nelson turned to yell at Morton. "Chip, get out of here!"

Of course, Morton did no such thing. As soon as he heard gunfire, he had jumped out of the boat, gun at the ready.
Seeing the Admiral illuminated by the light, he quickly fired at the glaring device.

In the darkness Nelson tackled Ortero, still determined to grab the man and secure the formulas, even if they were only available in the man's mind.

Unfortunately, for the Admiral's plan, Ortero had guessed the move and hurriedly brought the butt of the gun down on the head of the charging man. After putting the barrel of the revolver to Nelson's temple, he called out. "Captain Crane, if you do not surrender immediately, I will kill your Admiral."

When he heard no reply, he called once again. "I will count to three and then I will pull this trigger." In the quiet the sound of the hammer being pulled back was ominous.

"All right, don't shoot him. I'm coming over."

"Good. Throw down your weapon first."

Ortero took out a match and lit it. To his surprise, the figure who approached was not the dark-haired Captain of
SEAVIEW but the blond Executive Officer.

"So the Admiral did not bring the murderer with him after all."

"What?"

"Your Captain Crane murdered my brother and now I intend to have my revenge. We will go back to my lodging. I will radio your Captain that I will kill you and then the Admiral if he does not join us."

"He won't come."

"No? Then you are both dead men. Now, get my so-called friend and let us go. I am anxious to make that call. I have been waiting a long time to take my revenge."

*

Luis Ortero forced Chip Morton at gunpoint to half-carry, half-drag Harriman Nelson up the beach to a quonset hut which served as his lodgings. Upon entering, the Exec was startled to see another occupant--Elena Ortero.

"Ah, Senor, I see that you remember my... daughter. Morton ignored the words, lugging the stocky scientist to the cot that stood in the corner. "Elena, please make our guests welcome. Bring them some wine."

The Exec wanted to throw the red liquid in the traitor's face, but decided that the odds against successfully overpowering the man were slim--especially since Elena also held a gun on the captives.

"Elena my dear, please keep an eye on them while I radio the SEAVIEW" Moving over to the radio in the corner, Ortero soon had the frequency of the gray lady. "Please inform your Captain that I wish to speak to him."

After some minutes, Ortero's face took on air of malevolence. "Captain Crane, I hold your two friends here. For
the moment they are both alive, however, I will kill both of them if you do not present yourself to me in twenty minutes."

The silence at the other end obviously unnerved the volatile man. "You are the one who killed my brother. You are the one who should pay, not these men. Are you such a coward that you cannot face me?"

"I'll come, but let me talk to them. I need to be sure they're still alive."

Ortero motioned for Chip to take the microphone. "Lee...."

"Chip, are you and the Admiral all right?"

"I'm fine, but the Admiral needs a doctor. I think he may have a concussion."

"Don't worry. You'll be back on SEAVIEW in no time."

"Lee, no don't...." Ortero shoved the blond away from the mike.

Turning back to the radio, Ortero continued, "To show you that I have more mercy than you did to my brother, I will send your friends to the beach. They will sit in the boat they came in. When I see you approach the shore, I will send them on their way."

"And what's to stop you from killing them?"

"Nothing, except that it is your death which concerns me, not theirs. Your Admiral was once a friend of mine. I have no wish to deprive science of such a man."

"I'll be there in twenty minutes."

Just as he ha promised, Luis Ortero let Chip Morton once again propel Nelson out to the boat that they had so recently beached. Sitting in it, the Exec couldn't help but be glad that Nelson was unconscious so that he wouldn't see Lee's sacrifice. As for himself, he intended to get Nelson back to the sub and then lead a shore party to the rescue of his best friend. Hopefully, Ortero was so obsessed that he would not want to kill the slender man immediately.

By the light of the nearly full moon, the XO could see a small boat making its way towards the shore. From behind him Ortero's voice called out in the darkness, "Adios, Senor Morton. Tell the Admiral that someday perhaps we shall meet again."

Morton began to paddle rapidly, expecting to feel a bullet in his back at any minute. But none came. Glancing back for an instant, he saw Crane's small boat touch the shore, then he thought that the Skipper turned to wave briefly at the fleeing boat.

Paddling as quickly as humanly possible, the blond's heart beat rapidly in fear of hearing a pistol shot from shore. When there was only silence, he breathed a sigh of relief as SEAVIEW was now only twenty yards away and there were men waiting to help him on board.

It took some time to take the unconscious Admiral below, but as soon as the Exec reached the control room, he asked Ski and Pat if they were willing to go with him to rescue the Captain. The words weren't even out yet when they were already grabbing weapons from the locker. Now that Harriman Nelson was safely on his way to sickbay, there was only
one thing on Chip Morton's mind and he knew that it had to be done rapidly if there was any chance of saving the Skipper's life.

Climbing the ladder and settling into the small boat again took only a short amount of time, but to the boat's three passengers time seemed to moving in slow motion. It felt good to take to the oars and actually be doing something instead of just waiting.

They had moved only a few yards away from the gray hull when the night sky over the shore erupted in a blaze of oranges and reds. The nearby palm trees became torches as they were incinerated by the fireball. Morton, Kowalski and Patterson sat there transfixed. There could be only one building that could have detonated in such a way--and Lee Crane
was a prisoner in that building.

Breaking out of the trance caused by the explosion, Morton urged Ski to keep rowing. They had to find out what had happened in case Crane had managed to escape the inferno.

In the inky darkness, the flames still illuminated the sky. It was almost as if day had come--in the middle of the night.
The oars continued to make their rhythmic motion, advancing the boat slowly towards their goal until suddenly Patterson grabbed Ski's arm to still the forward motion. "Listen."

All three men paused. The gentle lap of the waves upon the shore was quite apparent, but that was all--until the sound of a muffled cry for help came some ten yards ahead. Patterson quickly dived in and swam towards the voice.

It wasn't long until two figures emerged out of the black swells as Pat awkwardly made his way towards the boat. Strong hands and arms reached out to help the crewman hoist the Captain on board the small craft. In no time at all, they were back at SEAVIEW and sickbay had another patient.

The Exec followed close behind the dripping figure of Lee Crane. When they got to the door of sickbay, he was surprised to see that Harriman Nelson was not present. "Jamie, where's the Admiral?"

"He came around just after you left so I let him go back to his cabin since I thought we might need space if you were able to get the Captain out. Chief Monroe is sitting with him, just in case. Now, will you let me work on the Captain?"

The XO backed out of the doorway. He could see that Jamieson would take good care of their Skipper so he decided to check in on Nelson.

After knocking quietly on the cabin door, the Exec let himself into the dimly lit cabin. Chief Monroe was sitting at the Admiral's desk. Carl Monroe reminded Chip more of Curly Jones than Francis Sharkey. The man had an uncanny way of being where he was needed without intruding. In a short amount of time he had made a place for himself on SEAVIEW. As soon as he saw Morton, he stood up and gestured for the officer to go out into the corridor with him.

"Mr. Morton, how's the Captain?"

"I'm not sure. Doc's looking at him now. Has the Admiral been awake at all?"

"No Sir, as soon as I got him into his bunk, he was out like a light. Doc told me what to look for and notify him if there were any new symptoms."

"Good. I'll be in the control room if you need me. We're heading back to Santa Barbara."

"Uh, Mr. Morton, you look like you could use some sleep. Why don't you let Mr. O'Brien take the conn?"

"With the Admiral and Captain laid up, I think I should be responsible for SEAVIEW. Once they're on their feet, I'll go sleep."

"Whatever you say, Sir. I'll be right here."

"Fine. Thanks, Chief."

For the next hour Chip Morton paced the domain of the control room. Standing at the herculite windows, the XO stared out into the jet-black waters. In his mind's eye he could almost see that tremendous flash of incendiaries as the quonset hut seemed to disintegrate in flames. For a long heartbeat he had believed that his best friend must have perished in that fire.
Thankfully, he had listened to his heart and continued towards shore.

"Mr. Morton!"

"What? Oh sorry, I was thinking."

"Chief Monroe says to tell you that the Admiral is awake and wants to see you."

"Thanks, Sparks. I'll be there if you need me."

Morton practically ran down the corridor to the Admiral's cabin which he entered right after knocking. Walking over to the bunk, he could see that part of the red hair was covered with a snow-white bandage. "Admral, are you feeling better?"

The blue eyes opened and slowly perused the blond. "Chip, are you okay? How did we....?"

Morton licked his dry lips. "Ortero sent us back. He said you were too valuable to science to lose."

Nelson clenched his eyes shut. "I think I remember him saying something about Lee...."

"Uh, he blamed Lee for Miguel Ortero's death."

"I don't understand. Where is Lee?"

"In sickbay."

Nelson tried to sit up. "What happened to him?"

Gently pushing the stocky man down, Morton continued, "He traded himself for us. I took some men with me to try to rescue him, but before we reached shore all hell broke loose. The building we were in exploded. Somehow Lee must have escaped because we picked him up in the water, half-drowned."

Nelson lay there, disbelief on his face. "He's all right though?"

"I haven't heard anything from Jamie, but I assume he'll be okay. I just don't understand what caused the explosion. Lee couldn't have been in there more than twenty minutes."

Breathlessly, the Admiral stared up at his Exec. "I...I did it."

"What?"

"I wasn't out of it the whole time we were in that hut. When Ortero was on the radio, I wadded up a type of plastique that I've been developing and stuck it into the ticking of the cot mattress It has an automatic timer. . . . I guess it worked."

The Exec nodded. "Only too well It's just a good thing Lee wasn't inside the building when it blew."

"I couldn't let Ortero get away with those formulas."

The crystalline blue eyes stared down at the invalid. "Why don't you go back to sleep? I'll go check on Lee?"

"Let me...let me know, will you?"

"Yes Sir."

"Chief Monroe, will you stay with the Admiral for the rest of the night? I'll be down in sickbay."

"Aye, aye Sir."

It was a short walk to Wlll Jamieson's Chamber of Horrors, as Lee Crane liked to refer to sickbay. Upon entering he was pleased to see the older man talking to the dark-haired man in the lower bunk. "Jamie, how is he?"

"I am fine, Mr. Morton. Since I am in full faculties, you can address your questions to me."

Morton grinned since Lee Crane sounded like his usual self. "Sorry Captain, I thought you might still be waterlogged."

"Waterlogged? You forget that I once held the record for treading water at Annapolis!"

"Oh, you're right. I forgot that one. Didn't you receive that the same year as the one for being full of hot air?"

"That was for being able to hold my breath the longest!"

By now, both Jamieson and Morton were chuckling which came to an abrupt end when Crane tried to sit up and
doubled over in pain.

"Easy there, Skipper. you're not ready to swim the English Channel yet. You took quite a beating."

"Beating?"

"Yes, Mr. Morton, it seems that Ortero decided to inflict some bodily damage before killing him. He's going to be black, blue and sore for quite awhile."

"Jamie, as usual you're exaggerating. I think I'll go back to my cabin now, then after a short nap, I'll go to the control room."

"No!" both men chorused. "You are staying put. I let the Admiral go back to his cabin, but you are staying here. You're suffering from exposure as well as the beating."

Lee reached out to take Chip's hand. "How...how is the Admiral? Jamie said he wasn't hurt too bad."

"Mostly a headache, I think. I'm sure he'll be down to see you just as soon as Chief Monroe will let him.

"Chief Monroe?"

"He's making sure the Admiral stays in his cabin. Perhaps I should ask him to come down here and do the same for you?"

"No, no, I'll stay put. After all, we'll be back in Santa Barbara in three days. I have plans to take the motorcycle out for a spin."

Both Morton and the doctor rolled their eyes at their indomitable Skipper.

"Well, I just might let you walk up to the Infirmary three days from now, but that's it!"

"Chip, I want you to lock up this man for insubordination!"

"It won't be the first time!"

Suddenly Lee Crane's brown-gold eyes clouded over. He had remembered when Jamieson had been ordered to the brig--by Harriman Nelson. It was not a pleasant memory so he closed his eyes against the pain as sleep claimed him.

Will Jamieson marched down the corridor to the cabin of Harriman Nelson who was still suffering from the effects of the injury suffered at the hands of Luis Ortero.

Chief Monroe had been released to go back to his duties so the doctor hoped to have a few minutes to give the Admiral a cursory exam since he knew the red-haired man was determined to get back to work. Jamieson had also been commissioned to deliver an important package to the 4-star officer. After knocking and entering, he was pleased to see that Nelson had been following orders and was lying on his bunk.

"Admiral, how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine, Jamie. Are you going to let me out of here now? I do have a great deal of work to complete before we get to Santa Barbara."

"I'm sure you do, but I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't give you one more checkup. Head injuries are nothing to ignore."

After five minutes, the doctor straightened up and gave the scientist a smile. "Well, I suspect you might have a headache for awhile yet but there's no real reason for you not to return to your routine. However, if you begin to feel worse or develop any symptoms--at all--I want you in sickbay! Do you understand me?"

In a surprisingly meek tone, the stocky man agreed. Anything to get back to work!

"Oh by the way, the Captain asked me to give this to you. He said he hoped it wasn't damaged because of the salt water."

Nelson took the small wrapped package. "What is it?"

"I believe he said it was some kind of tape. He said that you would know if it was important."

"Thanks, Doc. How is Lee?"

"I've let him return to his cabin. Chip has been keeping an eye on him."

"Maybe I'll walk down and see him, now that I've been cleared--officially."

"Do that. I'm sure he would appreciate the company. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the galley for dinner."

Harriman Nelson decided that he would indeed go see Lee Crane, but then realized he had not had a proper shower since before meeting with Ortero. Even the two minute shower that he usually allowed himself at sea would feel extremely welcome.

Emerging from the bathroom, red hair damp and wearing a clean uniform, Nelson sat down on his bunk to put on his shoes. Unfortunately, he sat down on the small parcel that the doctor had given him. Looking at it for a moment, he was puzzled at its possible contents. Curiosity got the better of him as he took a pair of scissors from his desk and cut open one wrapped end. It was indeed some type of audio tape.

Pulling out his small tape recorder, Nelson threaded the machine and turned on the power. To his amazement the familiar voice of Luis Ortero reached his ears. Listening to it eagerly, the scientist realized that for some reason Ortero had actually made a tape containing the formulas that Nelson so desired. Perhaps the man had intended to sell it to the highest bidder, but whatever his motive, the tape was priceless--except that parts of it were inaudible and other parts damaged.

Hurriedly, the Admiral pushed the intercom button to the control room. "Mr. Morton, would you please prepare the Flying Sub for immediate launch?"

The blond's assured voice answered as always, "Aye, aye, Sir."

Nelson carefully rewrapped the tape then made his way to the cabin of Lee Crane. Opening the door cautiously to make sure that he was alone with his lover, the red-haired man entered. Crane was sitting at his desk doing some paperwork. Looking up, he gave Harri one of his incredible smiles. "Well, Admiral Sir, you're looking pretty fit."

"I'm fine, Lee. Where did you get this?" He held out the tape to his friend.

"I thought you might find that of interest. I grabbed it just before I fled Ortero's headquarters. I didn't have much choice of what to wrap it in. I hope the salt water didn't destroy it."

"Some of it has been damaged, but I intend to take it back to NIMR with me and I think it can be salvaged with the help of some of our scientists."

"Glad to hear it. Are...are you planning to leave now?"

"Yes, I'll take the Flying Sub. Why don't you come with me? Chip can bring in SEAVIEW."

For a second the brunet hesitated. "Are you sure you want me to?"

"Of course, that is if you're feeling up to it?"

"Sure. I just have a few bruises. Besides, I believe we have some unfinished business to take care of."

"Hmm? Oh yes, perhaps we do. Well, get your jacket and we'll be off. We should be home in just a few hours."

The two men made their way to the control room where they found the Exec waiting for them. He immediately agreed to the plan for the gray lady to make port under his command. Then he wished both men a pleasant trip.

The flight with Nelson at the controls went smoothly so in just a few hours the two officers were once again at the Admiral's office. Angie welcomed them back enthusiasically. She was one of the few people at NIMR who knew about the closeness of the relationship between Nelson and Crane.

As soon as both men entered the office, Nelson got on the vidphone to the White House to inform the President about the tape. He reassured the Chief Executive that every effort would be made to recover the formulas intact. He also informed the President about the demise of Luis Ortero.

Lee sat in the chair opposite the big desk watching his lover. The man was obviously in his element. There was nothing more exciting to the older man than a scientific puzzle. He had made a career out of defying the odds and achieving his goals. Crane knew that if it was at all possible, Harriman Nelson would recover the formulas.

Turning off the power to the vidphone, Nelson smiled at the Skipper. "Lee, I'm going to take this tape over to the audio lab and let them get started on it. Then I'll meet you and we'll go out for dinner."

"Fine. I'll go down to my office and take care of any mail that may have come in. Meet me there."

"Good. See you soon."

The dark-haired officer was pleased to see that his inbox was hardly full at all. It took only a few minutes to take care of the paperwork so he leaned back in the chair and allowed himself to anticipate the coming dinner and whatever might follow with his lover.

Suddenly, the vidphone on his desk came alive with the face of Richard Twining. "Commander Crane, excuse me for bothering you. We were trying to get in contact with Admiral Nelson, but were told that he couldn't be reached."

"Uh, yes, Mr. Twining, he's over at the lab. I can give him a message if you'd like."

The focus of the vidphone pulled back to show another figure seated by Richard Twining, that of Senator Irving Pike. For a moment, Crane thought he would pass out, but he bit his lip hard so that the pain would steady him.

"Commander Crane, Mr. Twining and I will be coming to Santa Barbara on the 15th so that will give you five days to prepare for our cruise. I wanted to discuss this with Admiral Nelson, but since he is unavailable, I'm sure you will take care of things."

"Of..of course, Sir, but I thought that it would be at least three weeks before...."

"Lee, there's been a change of plans. I'm sure Jon will call you and let you know about it now that you're back. Be sure to give the Admiral the message."

"Certainly, Richard. We'll see you on the 15th." The vidphone shut down.

The slender man sat there, a riot of thoughts flooding his mind. Five days....**I've got to talk to Harri now. Why doesn't he come?**

Another hour passed and still there was no sign of Nelson. Finally, Lee decided to call over to the audio lab and ask to speak to his friend, but to his dismay he was informed that Nelson had left the complex with one of the other scientists. And no, the man at the other end of the line did not know when NIMR's Director would return.

Despair overwhelmed the Captain. He had to talk to the Admiral, but knew there was no point in sitting around his office. It might be hours before the world famous man would return. So, Crane decided to head to his apartment, get cleaned up and wait for a call from his boss. Before leaving the Institute, he left a note on Nelson's desk telling him of his whereabouts. It really wasn't all that late so there might still be a part of the evening that they could spend together.

Since his car was at the apartment, Crane took a taxi home. He had to admit it was good to be there. The pills he had been taking were wearing off. A hot shower and a short lie-down would feel good. Walking in, he immediately noticed a blinking light on his answering machine. Maybe it was Harri and he had found the note.

To his surpise it was from Jon Paige who wanted him to call as soon as he arrived. Picking up the receiver, he quickly dialed the number at the new house.

"Jon, it's Lee.----

"Lee, good to hear from you. Richard said you were back. Was it a successful trip?"---

"You might say that. Richard mentioned something about a change in plans?"---

"Yeah, uh, why don't you come to the house and I'll tell you all about it? Or do you and Harri have plans?"---

"No, I'm..free. Just let me get a shower and I'll drive out."---

"Great. I'll put some steaks on the grill so don't eat before you come."---

As soon as Crane put the phone down, he picked it up again to leave a message both at Nelson's office and the penthouse. He told his friend about going to Jon and Richard's house and that if it wasn't too late, perhaps he could join them.

Thirty minutes later the dark-haired officer pulled up in front of the Spanish-style house. Jon welcomed him warmly although he did express concern when Lee winced at the vigorous hug. Crane reassured his friend that it was only some bruises. Then the two went into the spacious living room. "So tell me how it went with Ortero." Paige insisted.

"We got the formulas."

"And?"

"And what?"

"Lee, are you going to be a clam about this? What happened to Ortero? Did he get away?"

"No, he and his wife are...dead."

"Wife?"

"Elena Ortero."

"But I thought you told me she was his daughter?"

"He wanted us to think that. It seems she was the greedy one and wanted to sell the formulas to the highest bidder. He...he mostly wanted revenge."

"Revenge? For what? His brother was the one who was a traitor."

Crane walked over to the fireplace. He devoutly wished that there was a fire in it. Turning to his lookalike, he whispered, "But I'm the one who killed his brother."

Concern flooded the amber eyes of Jonathan Paige. "Tell me what happened."

Crane licked his lips. "You remember when Harri lost his memory of me because of...Sharkey?" Jon nodded. "Well, I thought it might help if he knew that Ortero and Fuentes had been captured and brought to justice. I contacted a few ONI operatives I used to know. They gave me a location. I went after them. Fuentes drew a gun and I shot him."

Silence flooded the huge room. Crane stood there seemingly gathering his courage to impart the rest. "I slit Ortero's throat."

Paige did not blink. "How did Luis Ortero find out what you had done? I assume you took care of the bodies?"

"Yes. I'm not sure how he discovered it, but he kept telling Elena that he didn't care about the money, he only wanted to avenge his brother. She only laughed at him. She called Miguel a couple of rude names. That angered Luis. When he slapped her, I used the diversion to tackle him."

"I don't understand. Why were you there? I thought the Admiral and Chip were going to be the shore party."

"Ortero threatened to kill them if I didn't show up."

"I see. What happened after you tackled him?"

"I wrestled with him. Elena was trying to fire at me, but I kept pulling her husband in front of me. The gun went off. He...he was dead."

"Good riddance."

The brown-gold eyes looked up at the vicious statement. "He cared about his brother."

"Lee, he intended to kill you. I wouldn't waste time mourning him."

"I suppose not."

"What happened to Elena?"

The brown-gold eyes filled with remorse as the slender man remembered the horrifying moment when the hysterical woman had lunged at him, gun pointed straight at his heart. "I killed...her."

Leading his friend over to the leather couch, Paige forced him to sit down. "How?"

"I don't want...I don't want to tell you."

"Lee, there's nothing you could tell me that would make me think less of you.You did what you had to do."

"I haven't told anyone, not Harri, not Chip. It was bad enough that I did what I did to Miguel..."

"Lee, tell me and you won't ever have to talk about it again if you don't want to."

Hesitating for a brief moment, Crane sighed, "I snapped her neck."

Paige took his friend in a light embrace. "Finish it."

"She came at me with the gun. I hit out at it. It went flying across the room. I grabbed her, but she wouldn't give up. She took this...knife from somewhere and started to jab it...at my eyes. I remember grasping her neck and then I twisted. I looked down at the two of them on the floor. Luis was bloody but she looked almost...peaceful. Finally, I remembered the tape. They didn't know I spoke Spanish so they had no idea I understood Elena when she was raving about how that
tape would allow them to have a new...life."

"Lee...."

"Anyway, I grabbed the tape and ran for the beach. I had just hit the water when the building blew up. I found out later that Harri had left an explosive charge while he was a prisoner. So...there's no evidence of what I did."

"Lee, I know you didn't want it to end that way, but it wasn't your fault. You did what had to be done."

"But if I hadn't gone after Miguel..."

"He killed your friend, didn't he?"

"Yes, but...."

"Lee, I think with time you'll realize that you're not at fault here. It's an ugly world with men and women who will do anything for power. I should know since one of them came close to killing me."

"Jon, are you going to tell me what Richard meant about a change in plans?"

"It's very simple. I don't have to go back to Washington to testify. Barnes has changed his plea to guilty."

"Why?"

"To cut a plea bargain. The state was also going to charge him with attempted murder."

"I don't understand. I thought there was no way you could prove that."

"Do you remember my mentioning that I was with the Security Chief right before I was attacked? Well, he had been paid to keep me there until a certain time. As I left that office, Barnes fired at me then took off. Bill Thomas came out and found me. Evidently, he had no idea what Barnes had intended to do. He said that Barnes had told him that he only wanted to rough up the "queer." He was the one who called Richard and the ambulance.

"Kind of him."

"I've known him for a long time. He's one of those good Christians who believe that homosexuals are destined for hell, but he didn't want murder on his conscience so eventually he went to the D.A, and told him the truth--in return for immunity. Barnes will be sentenced in a few weeks, but I don't have to go back for that."

"I'm glad. I know you weren't looking forward to it."

"Yeah, some security chief I am. I pick a man like Thomas to be in charge and then I didn't pick up on how nervous he was when I arrived. I kept thinking that there was something I should have spotted."

"Jon, like you just said to me--cut yourself some slack. You're only human and a pretty special one at that."

"Well, thank you sir. Now what do you say we go throw those steaks on the grill and open a bottle of red wine?

"Sounds good to me except I'd better not drink more than one glass since I have to drive."

"Well, I feel like finishing the bottle and I hate to drink alone so why don't you plan to stay over tonight? There's plenty of room."

"I have a session with Dr. Blake at noon."

"No problem. I'll make sure you're up in time--even if I have to use dynamite."

"I've got to talk to Harri too since Richard and...Senator Pike will be arriving on the 15th."

"Yeah, joy, joy. The Senator is staying with us. We even have to delay the housewarming party. By the way, I spoke to Jason and he will definitely be here so you have to be sure that Chip shows up too."

"I'll do my best. Are there going to be many people here?"

"I'm not sure. Most of them are Richard's friends. You, Jason, and Chip are my contribution to the mix."

"It sounds like you're not all that happy about this."

"I don't mind the party. It's just that, well, it's Richard's house. I mean I know my name is on the deed too, but Richard's money paid for it. Just like it's Richard's company, Richard's house and penthouse in the East. Sometimes, I get touchy about what I contribute to this partnership."

"Love?"

"Lee Crane, I didn't know you were such a romantic."

"Well, you do love him, don't you?"

"Of course. There aren't enough words to tell you how much, but once in awhile I feel like we're so unbalanced. He's the great man and I feel like a hanger-on. Once a gigolo, always a gigolo."

Crane reached out to grab his friend, shaking him hard. "Don't ever say that about yourself! You did things that you may regret, but you do love Richard and he loves you."

"I know. Just like you love Harri and he loves you. That's why George Dunn doesn't matter."

Crane dropped his hands from his friend's slim frame. "Could we not talk about him tonight? Let's go eat and finish that bottle of red wine. Then I'll check out one of your guestrooms."

"Good idea. You can tell me if you think the high-and-mighty Senator Pike will find it comfortable."

The ashen look on Crane's face drew the other man up short. "Lee, are you okay?"

"Sure, I...I haven't had much to eat today."

"Well, then let's go feed the inner man."

Dinner proved to be entertaining with both men talking about their active lives and the two men who were so important to them. Jon also filled in the Skipper about Jason who was a naval architect and also painted nautical scenes as a past time. He had lost his partner of six years in an auto accident. Jon was positive that Chip would find him an agreeable friend and posssibly more.

By midnight, both men were ready to head to bed. Neither would admit that their injuries and the wine had taken a toll, but finally a plethora of yawns forced them to their respective bedrooms.

After saying goodnight to Lee, Paige headed to the master bedroom he shared with Richard Twining. He was glad that Lee had stayed over since he hated being alone in the house. Jon's head had no more than touched the pillow when the phone rang.

Groaning, the young man answered. "Paige here.---"

"Jon, sorry to call so late, but I just got back to the penthouse."---

"That's okay. I'm glad you called. I miss you.---

"I miss you too. I can hardly wait to get back on the 15th. I called Lee and the Admiral about the change in plans."

"I know. Lee told me you called."---

"Oh, so you talked to him?"---

"Actually, he came out here and we had dinner together."---

"Oh, I'm sure that made you happy."----

"Yeah, we split a bottle of wine so I asked him to stay over. Didn't want him plastered all over the highway."----

Silence reigned on the other end of the line.

"So he's still there?"--

"He's trying out the green room. Testing it for the Senator."---

"I see."---

"Speaking of the Senator, is there any way you could persuade him not to come out with you?"---

"NO, there isn't. Why do you ask?"---

"There's something between him and Lee and...."

"Jon, I've got to go. I'm bushed. Since Senator Pike is the key to our funding, I'm sure Lee Crane can put up with him for a few weeks. I love you. Goodbye."----

"I love you too," but the words were spoken to only a dialtone.

Jonathan Paige turned out the light and rolled over to Twining's side of the bed. The familiar scent of his lover comforted him, but still sleep would not come.
_______________
THE END